Speaker 1: Per It's media podcast. Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show what conservation Always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart and today we're joined by Clay nukeomb Mark Kenyon, Tony Peterson, Brent Reeds, Jordan Sillers, Jordan Budd, case Smith, Maggie Hudler, and Tyler Jones. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the state of the week. This week we're looking at the head to head stance of the Bear Grease Boys, Clayton and Brent. How do you guys think you do individually? Like who do you think does better at Meat Eater Trivia?
Speaker 2: I think, I mean Clay's already I think he's already won one or two. I'd say he does.
Speaker 3: I've been on more.
Speaker 1: Than Okay, how about how about like some other areas like, uh, who has who has better street smarts? You think Brent? Okay, Brent? Who has better book smarts?
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 1: And you have better meat eater smarts. I guess, Brent, are you gonna you're gonna protest anything?
Speaker 2: He just said, no, I just want to know if my average from the last game came into this.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not factored into my stats here.
Speaker 5: Oh, they are averages four point twenty five correct answers per game, while Brent averages three point five correct answers per game.
Speaker 1: Clay's strongest category is conservation, where he gets fifty five percent of questions correct, and Brent's strongest category is also conservation, where he gets forty three percent of questions correct. Clay's weakest category is cooking, where he gets twenty nine percent of questions correct. Well, Brent's weakest category is also cooking, where he gets twenty nine percent of questions correct. So just like the Element Boys, seems like.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't that be a pretty common trend with all of us though, if we're just being honest, what's that strong on conservation week on cooking?
Speaker 1: But the way I mean a lot of its not always but for you too, specifically, you have the same average in the cooking category, which is your your weakest.
Speaker 3: Do you what what kind of demographics do you pull off people like us.
Speaker 1: You're just sharing the same books. Brent finishes a book and then he hands it to Clay, and Clay finishes a book, and then he hands it back to Brent. Now they've read the same book.
Speaker 3: How does that relate?
Speaker 4: Back to just the general stats of trivia? Overall, people usually do better on conservation and worse on cooking.
Speaker 1: Conservation is our biggest category, and I think for a lot of folks that's their first or best category cooking, since it has tends to have more general knowledge. If you're not as strong in the other three categories, it seems like the people will do better in cooking.
Speaker 4: Do you look at that as a host opportunity to increase the difficulty of the conservation questions?
Speaker 1: I think it depends on the rest of the game right that I have created. If I feel like that game needs a harder question, Conservation is an easy one for me to pick up the slacking.
Speaker 2: This is we need more corn bread questions.
Speaker 4: This brings up an important question, though, how often are you self evaluating as a host and by what criteria?
Speaker 1: Often I'll listen to the episodes, It's like watching game film. I want to like know what works, what doesn't? Yeah, I want to like create a good product, So I think I'm doing a lot of self assessment. My most recent assessment is that my last batch of questions was too hard, too dang hard. So we know that. Now.
Speaker 4: Have you made a quick pivot in the last several minutes?
Speaker 1: We did? Actually, I said, hey, Phil, we're about to record again. Can you slightly change the wording to this question to yeah?
Speaker 4: Brother?
Speaker 1: Now Here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a Trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the Mediator dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Eric Jennings says, do you have backup questions ready? On the chance that discussion ends up spoiling a question that was planned. I don't really have backup questions ready. I have a document I could go get them from, but I do have backup tie breaker questions ready. It has still never happened. In one hundred and thirty something episodes, We've never had a tie in a tie breaker, so I'm looking forward to the day.
Speaker 3: So never two. We've got two tiebreaker.
Speaker 1: Questions before it's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Those are always real specific answers with numbers and stuff.
Speaker 1: They are specific. We've had folks get them on the nose. We talked about a last time. Tyler has done it. Now instead of the communism victory, we just add an extra one hundred dollars donation. Oh no, not at the end of the game.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Spencer, I don't want to go on record. It's so much grief in here every week. You do a wonderful job on this show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Brad.
Speaker 2: That way, if it comes down to a judgment, call I said it first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't have to include the second half of statement, but I appreciate it either way. But okay, thank you. Now we have some housekeeping to get to. In a recent episode of Trivia, we had a question about the Rainbow Family Gathering that takes place every year on Forest Service land. In the flavor text, I mentioned that despite the event being less than a month away, no location for the twenty twenty four gathering had been selected yet. But I did say that I found on Facebook rumors that it would be in Washington or California, with a dark horse candidate being Oklahoma. Well, the Rainbow Family Gathering met as they do every July and settled on doing it in the Plumis National Forest in northern California. But this year was very different. Rainbow goer had to relocate due to the Forest Service kicking them out of their first spot. The agency closed down a large area where the festival started to form, saying it was protecting livestock, wildlife, and archaeological sites. They also cited fire concerns as a reason for shutting it down. The gathering then moved twenty five miles away, which was still on Forest Service land, and at the new location there were one thousand law enforcement officers patrolling the area. It was held there with only about eighteen hundred rainbow attendees at its peak. This is less than half of what they get on a normal year. Now, many California groups are celebrating the suppress numbers, saying the Forest Service finally did something that they should have done a long time ago. A lass In County supervisor complemented the law enforcement who ushered them off the original site, saying, quote, I believe this is the first rainbow gathering event to be shut down, and you all had a hand in that. There's also a belief that this response sets a precedent for future gatherings, and that was the first step in taking control of this massive public land event. So twenty twenty four Rainbow Family gathering might be the one that changed it all. Wow, Branton, who just about had it down in your neck of the woods, though some folks thought it was going to be Oklahoma, ma'am.
Speaker 2: I ran into We talked about this on a recent bearcker ease, rendering our couple of them.
Speaker 3: The Rainbow folks came up on a bear grease.
Speaker 2: Oh yep, and we uh friends, some friends of mine, our friend of mine and I were run into a big bunch of them and we were turkey hunting up into Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri.
Speaker 1: When was this?
Speaker 2: This would have been back like nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, how'd that encounter go?
Speaker 2: It was wild? It was We hit my buddy killed the turkey the day before we cleaned it. We thought we had cleaned it and threw it in the dumpster. And the next day we were coming.
Speaker 3: Through the refuse in the dumpster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we come out the next day and there was a guy that had pulled it out and was cooking it. There was a fire on a stick I mean it was bones. And we stopped and gave him a sandwich.
Speaker 1: And he told you that he was there for a rainbow gathering, part of the rainbow family.
Speaker 2: He was, no, there was a gathering there. They were, They were everywhere. Turkeys was gobbling, We were smashing them.
Speaker 6: He's probably cooking that snood good stuff. Man.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, he wore that blown sandwich out pretty quick. He didn't stand a chance.
Speaker 4: Like an airplane.
Speaker 2: He did a sandwich Bayeah.
Speaker 1: Now the Shelby Index for today is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil.
Speaker 2: Look, I need to know what I stand under wind everything.
Speaker 4: I was saying, just underwing.
Speaker 1: Everything, Gamon Suckers. Question one. The topic is conservation, and this is multiple choice. A twenty fourteen study declared this large metro area has the worst urban sprawl in America. Is it San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago or Miami. A twenty fourteen study declared this large metro area has the worst urban sprawl in America. Your four choices San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami. Brent, I notice you're wearing what looks like a friendship bracelet. Do you have a swiftie in the family.
Speaker 2: Nope. But I've got a daughter that dances and she made me this and it says daddy on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't ever take it off.
Speaker 1: Really, how long have you been wearing it for?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see what year is this? About three months?
Speaker 1: Yeah. A twenty fourteen study declared this large metro area has the worst urban sprawl in America. San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying Chicago. Jordan says Atlanta, Casey says Miami, Tyler says Atlanta, Tony Atlanta, Brent, San Francisco, Clay Atlanta, Jordan Chicago, Mark Chicago. The correct answer is Atlanta. Think about half of you got that one right. Urban sprawl is defined as the rapid expansion of the footprint of cities that's often characterized by low density housing. Atlanta has the worst urban sprawl for cities over one million people, followed by Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis, Birmingham, and Houston. The cities with the least urban sprawl that are the most densely populated are New York City, Milwaukee, Oakland, San Jose, and your other three choices for that question, which were San Francisco, Chicago, and Miami. Question two, the topic is hunting. Jackie Bushman is the founder of this company, which has a television show, magazine and whitetail record book. Tony Peterson is confident. Jackie Bushman is the founder of this company, which has a television show, magazine, and white tail record.
Speaker 3: Jackie Bushman, he's still going strong too.
Speaker 1: Is he you consume his content? Are you you know him personally?
Speaker 3: I don't don't know him?
Speaker 1: Still going strong though. According to Clay Nukeom, this is the most confident our players have looked in the last two episodes, except for maybe Maggie and Jordan Sillers. Jackie Bushman is the founder of this company, which has a television show, magazine and whitetail record.
Speaker 4: And when I think of Jackie Bushman, I think a milk River, white Tails.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or the powder Yeah. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying outdoor life, Jordan says Boone and Crockett, we have Casey and Tyler and Tony and Brent and Clay and Jordan and Mark saying buck Masters they got it. The correct answer is buck Masters. The buck Masters white tailed trophy records differ from Boone and Crocket or Poping Young by not using deductions or inside spread. This is known as the Russell Thornberry method, which they claim is the fairest way to score an animal. They say they don't use inside spread when ranking a deer because that's a measurement of air, not Antler. What do you think of that, whitetail boys liked losing the inside spread is measuring a deer.
Speaker 6: I think I've always thought water displacement would be probably the most accurate way.
Speaker 3: It would be the most boring, though, sure, because right, yeah, but I think the buck Master scoring system is is pretty legit. I do think the spread though, though He's right, it's measuring air like it. Spread does tell you a lot about how big a buck looks, so I think it's I think it's relevant.
Speaker 1: We we now have this has never happened before.
Speaker 7: I'm right, whisperings.
Speaker 1: And if you like, I could read you the first two questions you could get right in on this game of trivia.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, I'm here only to heckel.
Speaker 1: Okay, give that man a MinC then you best now. Uh so, Clay, you like not measuring inside spread?
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm saying I think there's a rational case to be made that it that it is measuring air, it's not actually measuring antler size. But I think when you're talking about overall aesthetics of an animal, they should count the spread.
Speaker 4: So I'm a man, you know that's a it's a valid case because I very much am not a fan of deductions. Uh so, well, you know, like if you're gonna take something away, do take away the spread. You know, I like that, But then you know, because you still it's not like you're adding to the score the numbers though if you wanted to.
Speaker 3: It's so Boone and Crockett you take deductions. The trouble with scoring systems that when you have a historic record that goes back one hundred years, you can't change your system. Yeah, I think Boon and Crockett today would change their system if it wouldn't invalidate all their Well I'm not speaking for the club at all, but.
Speaker 1: What what what do you think they would do?
Speaker 2: Different.
Speaker 3: I think I think deductions would be something today that they would look at different. And I think Buckmasters came along and picked up the general vibe and momentum and way of thinking and built a system.
Speaker 4: Those that system widely used to see. I'm a master's straight up a confession. I've been a fan of buck Master for a whole lot. I didn't know they had their own scoring since.
Speaker 1: To be clear, they use the inside spread when getting a score they call the component when they rank their white tails, though they eliminate the inside score as part of that final.
Speaker 4: Do people pay a membership to buck Masters to have deer on their list like that?
Speaker 3: I mean the buck Masters scording system is I mean, I know guys that score buck Masters officially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in Arkansas, they also recognize high fence deer. They have some stipulations.
Speaker 6: Did they talk about different that personally, like publicly? I mean, what's that that they they would like? When not when somebody's like, oh I shot one fifty four buck Masters Masters?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Did they say that.
Speaker 4: In your dad a Booon Crockett score? Just pull that out?
Speaker 3: I am you?
Speaker 4: You are him?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, that's yeah. So from a scorer, Yeah, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unofficially interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question three the topic is public lands, and this next great question is being Garth Hagen. Thirty six sections of land make up one blank. Thirty six sections of land make up one blank.
Speaker 3: Ay Spencer. Sometimes when we get a lag, I could tell you how the Rainbow people came up in Bear Green?
Speaker 1: Please do we? I think we were in one right now.
Speaker 3: So we did. We did a bear Grease with a guy named Russ Arthur who was a retired for Service special agent. He was one of the first guys that back in the eighties started working undercover for the Forest Service. And uh, and it just came up. It wasn't a major part of the story, but they had the Rainbow people coming to North Carolina, Western North Carolina. We're gonna supposedly have ten thousand people coming. Russ Arthur and his crew set up a roadblock as a dui check from the one road that went and came in and out of there.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. That'll get some rainbow gathering from happening, and.
Speaker 3: The pot The episode is called runt over okay, because that's the way Russ said it. Russ was working the roadblock. This is like in nineteen when was it nineteen ninety two or something and ninety one and a car pulls up to the roadblock and when it gets right up to him, he's out gonna check their driver's license and stuff, and the car gases it and runs him over. Whoa the guy. It leads a huge high speed chase through the Smoky Mountains which ends in a three day man hunt. Wow, when they finally catch the guys.
Speaker 1: This is very against the Rainbow Family gathering corps.
Speaker 3: They weren't Rainbow people. Oh ok, they were locals that had just gone up to view the Rainbow people. Oh, but the Rainbow people were part of the story. And then and then the guy goes to prison and the reason he went to the reason they tried to kill Russ Arthur was because Russ Arthur had written him a squirrel hunting ticket two years before.
Speaker 1: That's a good podcast, Clay.
Speaker 3: It was a great punt.
Speaker 2: It was really good. Again.
Speaker 1: We're on question three thirty six sections of land make up one blank? Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying, Unit Jordan says, Unit Casey says, Hector, Tyler says survey Tony hectacre, Brent hectacre, Clay township, Jordan township, Mark township. We have a correct answer in the room. It's township. Claya, get that out right. A section is a square piece of land that is one square mile or six hundred and forty acres. Thirty six sections together make up one township, which is just over twenty three thousand acres. Townships have broad powers and enforcement, and often help maintain cemeteries, roads, ditches, and bridges. Clay Jordan, do you guys deal with some local townships every now and then? Are you are you like part of the township board or anything like that? No? Okay, so you ever?
Speaker 8: Are you ever?
Speaker 1: Are you Are you a good egg or a bad egg for the township? Do they they like the buds are good? Yeah? I feel they maintain their roads. Yeah, they don't complain about ditches, They're not stealing water.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think we do any of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Clay newcomer, are you are you a good member of the township?
Speaker 3: Nobody in Arkansas would be thinking about townships. I have no idea the reason I figured Jordan would get it, though, I feel like in the Great Plains people think about townships more like, Yeah, I wouldn't know what township I was in? Is that right?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 9: Well, it's like I knew it because it's like a measurement thing or like a map, you know what I mean, like mapping your like section fifteen, township whatever, whatever.
Speaker 1: Clay you're you're not even you have no idea what township you're part of.
Speaker 3: Never even thought about it.
Speaker 4: So are you like a county guy? Like you guys are all about what county you live in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, county, county, county by Marcus.
Speaker 1: Do you know your township? I do.
Speaker 4: The only reason why I know it is because I have to say it every time I turn on my recycling.
Speaker 1: Oh is it?
Speaker 3: Does it have a name or just a number?
Speaker 4: I just said the name?
Speaker 7: Got a name?
Speaker 4: It's like, so then I get a discount on my recycling.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah?
Speaker 3: Sweet? Do you not have counties?
Speaker 4: We do?
Speaker 3: You have both?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Township is like another little form of government within side of all of this interesting question four, the topic is cooking. This next great question is via Scott Waller. This French female name is defined as quote to slice food into thin strips. About the size of match sticks. This French female name is defined as to slice food into thin strips about the size of match sticks. You're honest, do you know this one? Did you know the last one? Yanni? Okay, Yanni's up to two? About this side of the table, Tony, do you have.
Speaker 8: This that put some time for second place?
Speaker 1: Okay, Tony might have it? How about Maggie over here.
Speaker 3: Megan, I'm trying to spell.
Speaker 1: Okay. This French female is defined ass to slice food into thin strips about the size of matchsticks. Is everybody ready, Marcus, you're gonna come up with the French.
Speaker 3: You Marcus?
Speaker 1: You ready? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, Okay, I was thinking about the wrong Go ahead, Maggie. If you can come up with a different answer.
Speaker 3: Maggie was beating us all.
Speaker 2: We'd be like, you.
Speaker 10: Haven't gotten one, right?
Speaker 4: I need I need.
Speaker 3: This one so surprising. Maggie is the smartest person in this room.
Speaker 1: That is not true, But thank you, Clay, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Now go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying, Julian, Jordans says Jacquette, Caleb and Tyler and Tony and Brent and Clay saying Julian Jordan without an answer, Mark saying Julian. They got it. The correct answer is Julian. That's spelled j u l I E n N E close.
Speaker 7: For some reason, I was thinking of and that is not I couldn't spell it.
Speaker 3: That's not the right thing.
Speaker 1: Julian is often done with vegetables such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, radishes, and potatoes. This technique is commonly used for salads and garnishes. For the recipe that calls for Julian vegetables, check out Wade Trunk's recipe on the meadeater dot com called Turkey on.
Speaker 8: Me really quick. I lost count at Brent, Brent, did you get that? You got that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 8: Okay? And then Clay got it.
Speaker 1: And Mark got it and got it.
Speaker 4: You know something wild. It's kind of crazy how many of my answers I know from watching the TV show Friends episode Monica was I do not? I would not have taken you for a friend. I always surprised you watch it was your favorite character, Oh Chandler for sure? Yeah, that's you know, hard to argue, but I got a spot by spot in my heart for Ross, you know, and being a dinosaur guy. You know.
Speaker 1: I feel like last time you played we had a question about can we talk? That's you got right, and you're like, I knew that because I watched Friends. So okay, that's how Casey studies. Yea, he watch his friends. Question five, the topic is woodsmanship. Johnny Inkslinger was the lesser known companion of this woodsman who supposedly created the Grand Canyon, Puget Sound and Great Lakes created them. Johnny Inkslinger was the lesser known companion of this woodsman who supposedly created the Grand Canyon, Puget Sound and Great Lakes. Come on, bro, Brent is confident, and Jordan Sillers is confident. Jannie, how you doing? Okay? Yanni has a good guess, he says. Johnny Inkslinger was the lesser known companion of this woodsman who supposedly created the Grand Canyon, Puget Sound and Great Lakes.
Speaker 2: Who is also apparently lesser known.
Speaker 1: Clay hasn't picked up his whiteboard yet. I'm just gissing, bro, Clay, how are you feeling about this one? Brant is trying to use osmosis and transfer the answer.
Speaker 3: It's a trick question like some of the other ones. Okay, like is the guy just a woodsman? Or is he also like, uh, you know something really important?
Speaker 1: Johnny, Yeah, like about that question? Was the lesser known companion of this woodsman who supposedly created the Grand Canyon, Puget Sound, and Great Lakes. If Tony Peterson doing some erasing and rewriting down there, Tony, do you have this one?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Oh hold on, give me.
Speaker 1: Give you what Clay, give me some of that. Who does like their answer? Anybody? The Element boys? Okay, they feel okay about what they got going on? You ready, Clay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie without an answer. Jordan says Paul Bunyan, says Paul Bunyan. Tyler says John Bunyan did say that right. Tyler says John Bunyan, Tony says Paul Bunyan, Brent says Paul Bunyan, Clay says Audubon Jordan without an answer, and Mark says Paul Bunyan. They got it. The correct answer is Paul.
Speaker 4: By all, I could think it had a babe, and that's all that was going in my brain, and I couldn't get that thought.
Speaker 1: Paul Bunyan was a folk hero whose tails were traded among lumberjacks across North America in the early twentieth century. Babe the Blue Ox and Johnny Inkslinger were his companions who helped him create places such as the Black Hills, Grand Tetons, Mississippi River, and all of Minnesota's ten thousand lakes. Ink Slinger was a brainiac who invented bookkeeping and worked as the camp clerk. According to legend, he was so efficient that he wouldn't cross his t's were dot his eyes, which saved him nine barrels of ink. Paul Bunyan, You guys don't get much Paul Bunyan lore down in the South.
Speaker 3: Huh, Well, he got right.
Speaker 7: We get more, John Bunyan, Johnny Film.
Speaker 1: We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: Let's see here. Okay, mag you've got one point. I'm sorry, I'm sorry you had to see that.
Speaker 3: Jordan.
Speaker 8: Both Jordan's are tied up with two points. Then we've got Casey with three and wow, Tyler, Mark, Clay, Brent and TONI are all tied up with four points.
Speaker 1: This is a better game of trivia than last time. Question six. The topic is fishing. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Cody Gratz for sending this great question. Cody is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener question of the week, then send your question to trivia at the meadeater dot com. Energy dot gov defines this eight letter word as quote the channel that carries water away from a dam. The topic is fishing. Energy dot gov defines this eight letter word as the channel that carries water away from a dam. I have a eight letter word, be honest? Was your good guess Paul Bunyon last time?
Speaker 4: Okay, Hey, that's like a Minnesota thing.
Speaker 1: Created all ten thousand lakes there though.
Speaker 4: That's big time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's got a whole statue in Minnesota, doesn't he up?
Speaker 1: Brainerd Yanni, you should have been your last game. The winner had five correct answers. The door was open for someone to swoop in with your trivia skill level and get the victory. Again. We're on question six. Energy dot gov defines this eight letter word as the channels that carries water away from a damn the element boys look confident again. Brent, you have this one right?
Speaker 2: I haven't answered?
Speaker 1: Okay? Does it have eight letters?
Speaker 2: Let me recount? No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, eight letter word for the channel that carries water away from a dam. Clay. How are we doing over there? Not good?
Speaker 7: I don't know if I don't think I have it?
Speaker 4: Marcus, Yeah, I'm blinking right now.
Speaker 1: How about you? Yanni? You have a guess for this?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: I had the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the one.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Man? What do you have? Okay?
Speaker 4: I got the other one, one of those.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying waterway an answer, Casey says tail race, Tyler says spillway. Tony says overflow. Brent overflow. Clay let out Jordan waterway mark without an answer.
Speaker 4: Tailwater is an answer, But we have.
Speaker 1: A correct answer. It's tail race.
Speaker 7: Got that one right?
Speaker 1: Wow. Tail races are hot spot for fish and fishermen. These waters attract many species since they're typically home to ample food and structure, as is a barrier that prevents passage upstream. For tips on fishing a tail race, read our article on the medeater dot com called how to fish a tailwater.
Speaker 4: How everyone knows that an encompassing thing and tail with intailwater.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to argue with Energy dot Gov.
Speaker 4: But no angler would ever be like, Oh yeah, I'm gonna go fish the South Fork because it's a tail race.
Speaker 1: Uh well, I feel like tailwater is more like Western specific and I feel like tail races.
Speaker 4: Any any any waterway coming out of dam, especially cold war coming out of there, it's great for fish.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to argue with Energy dot Gov.
Speaker 4: Do we know anyone there?
Speaker 1: Question seven? The topic is woodsmanship. This mountain range is home to Sequoia National Park, Yosemite National Park, and Tahoe National Forest. This mountain range is home to Sequoya National Park, Yosemite National Park, and Tahoe National Forest. Mark it's very confident. He's the only one who is confident. I'm surprised, Okay, Mark.
Speaker 4: It makes me nervous when I think I know something and no one else.
Speaker 1: Does, Like Mark thinks a few of you should know that.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised.
Speaker 1: This mountain range is home to Sequoya National Park, Yosemite National Park, and Tahoe National Forest. Clay Newcom picking up his whiteboard Tony is looking at it.
Speaker 6: You know the thing we do on the podcast it again.
Speaker 1: Hm, Maggie changing an answer, they can communicate Tony Peterson struggle.
Speaker 4: I literally only know one mountain range, and I'm positive it's not right.
Speaker 1: Mountain.
Speaker 4: I don't know that I guarantee what I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: This mountain range is home to Secoya National Park, Yosemite National Park, and Tahoe National Forest. Is everybody ready? Mm hmm yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying Sacramento, Sierra Nevadas, Caleb says Cascades, Tyler Sierra Nevadas, Tony Rocky Mountains, Brent Rocky Mountains, play Sierra Nevada, Jordan without an answer, Marcus Sierra Nevada. Sierra Nevada is right room pretty well. The Sierra Nevadas follow much of the California and Nevada border, making it one of the longest mountain ranges in North America. Gets home to many threatened species such as the redwood tree, Yosemite toads, wolverines, and California spotted owl. Question eight. The topic is conservation. This next great question is an audio question. Phil is going to play you one minute of what I've declared to be the greatest conservation song of all time. You need to tell me either the name of the song or the name of the artist. Take it away, Phil please what I new z either or either tell me the name of the song or tell me the name of the artist. Just write down one of them. Tony and Brent very common. Did you boys go in or you?
Speaker 11: So I went with artists give me spots on apples.
Speaker 4: We seemed to go.
Speaker 3: Not your style of music, Jordan, I remember the Counting Crows, So that's one for myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're not gonna give me credit. I'm gonna give you credit for the cover that the Counting Crows did. Tyler, wasn't the song that you thought it was going to be, Okay.
Speaker 10: I.
Speaker 2: Was.
Speaker 6: I was thinking, uh uh Seminal Win by John Anderson. Yeah, yeah, the Everglades.
Speaker 1: Working that we did that question on the podcast before. It's about draining the everg.
Speaker 4: Or the hill Contari Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Again, you need to tell me either the name of the song or the name of the artist. And that is what I've declared to be the greatest conservation song of all time. So on this podcast. Now, if you're taking notes at home, I've made a declaration of the greatest hunting song of all time, the worst hunting song of all time, and the greatest conservation song of all time.
Speaker 4: Did Hank Junior's song about killing the elk with a hangdernade?
Speaker 3: Make that listen?
Speaker 1: No, but we have that question in the board game. We haven't done it on the podcast before, though. Is everybody ready, Brent? Brent is now mocking Clay. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie sang, Joni Mitchell, Jordan without an answer, Casey says, Jewel Tyler says, Pave Paradise, Tony, Joni Mitchell, Brent Joni Mitchell, Clay Carol King Jordan without an answer, Mark Paving Paradise. The artist is Joni Mitchell and the song is Big Yellow Taxi. So I think we had three people get that one right.
Speaker 3: Did you know the song?
Speaker 1: Joni Mitchell released that song on her nineteen seventy platinum album Ladies of the Canyon. She wrote it while in Hawaii, saying she was witnessing the blight of Paradise as parking lots were taking over a beautiful place. A notable lyric you heard is her asking farmers to stop using DDT, a pesticide that was made illegal two years after the song's release. That chemical was famous for causing bald eagles to lay eggs with thin shells, which was a major fact in their population crash. The song has since been covered by the neighborhood Amy Grant and, as Clay said, counting crows Bill, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: Golly, all right, we've I mean, it's it's tight. It's tight up in here. Maggie's got two points, Jordan Sillers has three, Casey has Jordan but also has two. Sorry, Casey has four, and then Tyler Tony, Brent Clay and Mark Kenyon I'll have five points and are tied for the lead.
Speaker 7: Right two smart left echo chamber, and here is Johanni.
Speaker 1: Would have you gotten that last one right?
Speaker 4: No, sir, that's my worst category.
Speaker 1: Question nine the topic is gear. What does the U in U TV stand for? What does the you in U t V stand for? Yanni is giggling, Yanni? Would you get this one right?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right? How about you brand you got this one right? First one to have an answer down? No, okay, but he did know Joni Mitchell, I think I got it right. But what does the U in U TV stand for? Marcus? You have this one? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got then maybe never really thought about it, but.
Speaker 2: Uh, I got two. I've only got one that I'm wrestling with.
Speaker 1: I want to ask Yanni a question from last game, which he was not here for. Yanni, we had a cooking question that was how many gizzards does a male pheasant have? How many gizzards?
Speaker 10: One?
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's why I'm glad you weren't in here.
Speaker 1: You thoroughly stumped the room. Well, that's a trick question if I've ever heard. Does everybody have an answer for what the U in UTV stands for? It seems like we may have some separation in the pack after this one. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying utility, Jordan says uptimate, Case says Universal, Tyler utilitarian, Tony Ultimate, Brent Utility, Clay utility, Jordan utility, Mark utility. The correct answer is utility. The room, very well, what do you think about Tyler having utilitarian.
Speaker 7: The miilitarian type of people.
Speaker 3: Is that you said it's tricky. You almost threw me off with.
Speaker 1: That could be ultimate, it could be what do we have over here? It could be utilitarian, could be universal.
Speaker 2: With a TV.
Speaker 4: With an a t V like all terrain vehicle makes a lot of sense a utility terrain vehicle or that. Right, Yeah, so I almost like convinced my.
Speaker 6: Utilitarians trade vehicle the trade of utility u TV.
Speaker 1: Can stand for utility vehicle, utility terrain vehicle, or utility task vehicle. This is extra confusing when you consider that there are three main types of ut vs, which are sport U t V, Utility U t V, or sport utility u t V. So you get a lot of redundancies.
Speaker 3: There's a utility u TV, there is a utility utility utility.
Speaker 1: That's right, Phil. We have one question left. Who's left in the game.
Speaker 8: Oh well, Tyler and Tony are still in the game, but Brent, Clay and Mark have pulled ahead and are tied up with six points.
Speaker 1: Now here's a correct answer review for our listeners at home. So far one was Atlanta two, Buckmasters three, Township four, Julian five, Paul Bunyan, six Tail Race, seven Sierra Nevadas, eight Joni Mitchell or Big Yellow Taxi and nine Utility. Here's question ten. The topic is hunting. Who invented the two eighty AI cartridge? Who invented the two eighty AI cartridge? And I will respect Jeopardy rules that last name would be good enough. What is the two eighty who invented I cartridge? We have Jordan Sillers who looks very confident, Maggie and Jordan Budd joining him with an answer. It's not a bone it's a hunting question. Do you have this one right, Yanni? This is a bone for engineering question. You think you'd have this one right, Yanni?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yanni, very confident back there? Who invented the two eighty AI cartridge?
Speaker 4: It's not Carbon Express, is it?
Speaker 3: That's what I know?
Speaker 1: Element boys? Do you guys have a good answer here?
Speaker 2: Do you think I don't know? Now?
Speaker 1: Remind me who's left in the game here, Phil, who were too tired.
Speaker 8: For Tyler and Tony have five points and can jump ahead. Get this right? But Brent Clay and Mark all.
Speaker 1: O does not feel good about his answer. Clay, how about you. Do you have this one right now?
Speaker 3: I'd say twenty chance.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about you, Brent Reeves, do you have this one right?
Speaker 2: I'm not putting the Gayther. I'm track. I can't think of his name. Okay, I'm thinking. The next closest thing that I can get to it is everybody ready?
Speaker 4: Do you have a Tony?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: I can see it, but Jordan's probably got it right.
Speaker 1: I can see a picture and your answers. We have Maggie saying Winchester. Jordan says p o actly, Casey says Aclee, Tyler says Nozzler. Tony says Ruger, Brent says Carmichael, Clay, Winchester, Jordan actly, Mark Weatherby. The correct answer is Parter Auto Ackley po actly is in the question. Po Ackley was a wildcatter who created the two to eighty actly improved about seventy five years ago. He made the cartridge by taking a two eighty Remington and giving it a steep shoulder and straight body. The two eighty AI has become an increasingly popular choice among Western hunters since the round was standardized by Nozzler in two thousand and seven. We're going to overtime between who Phil, Brent Clay and Mark play the drop?
Speaker 10: Phil, I think just cut it at if you ain't first, your last, and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I never liked it a philm Man.
Speaker 1: The tie breaking topic is hunting, and this will be a numerical question. Whoever is closest between Brent, Clay and Mark will be declared the winner. How many states have a mule deer entry in the Boone and Crockett record Book. The closest to the correct answer will be declar the rule will be declared the winner. Everyone in the room should come up with an answer, though, because if somebody gets it right on the nose, we will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. How many states have a mule deer entry in the Boone and crocket record Book? US states, US states, I'm not doing Mexican states or confusion. I see a lot of counting happening on hands. I'm surprised at the lack of whiteboard use for this question. How many states have a mule deer entry in the Boone and Crockett record Book. Tony the first one to come up with an answer. How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 4: Not great?
Speaker 3: I thought it was just us three in this.
Speaker 1: Well, everyone is going to come up with an answer, because if somebody who's not left in the game gets it right on the nose, meat Eater will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game.
Speaker 2: Time to relax, Clay.
Speaker 1: Again, it's Brent Clay competing for the victory. Maggie. Do you how you feel about your answer?
Speaker 3: You're also quick it's a lucky number.
Speaker 1: Okay? Oh wow, all right, a lucky number or your lucky numbers?
Speaker 4: My lucky Okay.
Speaker 1: We're gonna learn what Maggie's lucky number is.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: Brent has put down his whiteboard. Mark put down his whiteboard.
Speaker 7: On the dot.
Speaker 4: We also we get to contribute or is it if anyone in the.
Speaker 1: Room gets it right on the nose, including UKC who's one of the three people left in the game, will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. Clay is revisiting his whiteboard. After he does this, we're going to turn them over. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying nine, Jordan fourteen, Case sixteen, Tyler sixteen, Tony eleven, Jordan thirteen, and our three players left in the game we have Brent saying nine, Clay saying fourteen, Mark saying fourteen. The correct answer is eighteen, meaning we're going to a second play the drop.
Speaker 9: Again and then like going to other stuff is funny the first exactly first time it's ever happened in a one hundred and thirty five episode History.
Speaker 4: Can we get the bag the last question?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Now, those eighteen states are Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, Oregon, Montana, Nevada, Washington, Kansas, California, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Texas, Oklahoma, and Iowa. Colorado has the most entries at one thousand, two hundred and three and Iowa has the least entries at one.
Speaker 3: But they've got a boon and crocodile.
Speaker 4: Do we know the year on that?
Speaker 1: I don't know the year. My guess it would have to be like the extreme northwestern part of the state. The Missouri River has a few mule deer that I've seen personally, so someone must have killed a biggin at some point in Iowa's history wild double overtime vous time.
Speaker 4: So funny you just mentioned this too.
Speaker 1: We just talked about it.
Speaker 4: That's right, and this will be the big clay and I'm glad we get to share this cliff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's like the.
Speaker 1: Double overtime topic is phishing?
Speaker 3: Ooh, market on strength. Actually he's a good fisherman, Okay, my greatest weakness.
Speaker 1: How much money did the winner of the twenty twenty four bass Master Classic get? Total earnies for that particular person for getting first place?
Speaker 3: That's right, So that's one tournament.
Speaker 1: One tournament for the twenty twenty four bass Master Classic. What did you get for winning that tournament? Again, everyone's gonna.
Speaker 3: No, like the grand prize is we're closest between marketing.
Speaker 1: Closest between you and Mark. That's right. Everyone's going to come up with an answer again though, because if somebody right on the nose, no, we're going to add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. How much money did the winner of the twenty twenty four bass Master Classic?
Speaker 2: Do you know? I do not know.
Speaker 4: It's just guess.
Speaker 2: Tony.
Speaker 4: You know, I have a guess, but uh yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Double overtime.
Speaker 7: What a thrill.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: Just a couple episodes ago, you were making kind of a joke saying that like Phil's gonna have the greatest sound drop of all time when this finally happens, and I was say, yeah, yeah, sure, whatever, you can't make me do that, And now I feel guilty.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: I wish I had something great to play for you.
Speaker 1: So, okay, it's everybody ready. Everyone has an answer for what the winner of the twenty twenty four bass Master Classic got for first place. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Maggie saying one million dollars, Jordan says one point two million, Case six hundred thousand dollars, Tyler two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, Tony Peterson half a million dollars, Brent one point five million, Jordan sixty seven thousand, and our two players left in the game. We have Klay Nucombe saying two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, Mark Kenyon saying one million dollars. The correct answer, it's three hundred thousand dollars, making Lay Newcombe our double overtime Winter Job Clay only fifty thousand dollars of good Job Clay. That was that was a strong guest. The prize money was at its lowest in nineteen seventy one, when the winner got ten thousand dollars. Then it hit its peak in two thousand and six when it was raised to half a million dollars. Then it was lowered to three hundred thousand dollars in twenty fourteen, where it's remained ever since. Clay, you get to choose where the five hundred dollars grand prize from Meat Eater goes. What's it gonna be?
Speaker 3: I know right where it's gonna go. It's gonna go to the Colorado's for Responsible Wildlife Management, Okay, Dan gates there. So there's a there's a bill right now that's that's gonna go to ballot in November in Colorado to ban mountain lion hunting, bobcat hunting, and lynx hunting, which there's no links hunting to begin with. And uh, it's a it's a pretty it's a very very serious thing for all of big game hunting in North America. And uh, they're up against some pretty big odds but uh yeah, those are good guys. Colorado's for responsible wildlife Management. They're in overtime.
Speaker 1: There you double overtime clay. That donation is going to hit a little different when it comes through. And yep, wow, that's a that's a powerful five hundred dollars. Yes, just got now, don't forget. The third week of the Meat Eater Crossword is available on our website right now. The theme this week is hunting. You can play for free but medeater dot com backslash games. Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Spencer from South Oda, he's the host, using those smooth mellow tones. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks. And it's an avid amateur lockhouse