Speaker 1: Hey, vacationing the lawyer.
Speaker 2: Here's my business card.
Speaker 1: I'm Attorney Howard Ankle. You or someone who knows been heard it. Work ankin Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to a new episode to The Sox Machine podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm your host Josh Nelson, and in this episode, we're gonna be talking about the impact of Kyle Teal's injury on the Chicago White Sox. As Kyle Teal suffered a left high ankle sprain in the series against the Texas Rangers. He is now going to be out for the next six to twelve weeks, So what is the impact on the White Sox. Does this force him to make a decision in finding another catcher before the trade deadline, and what is the long term outlook for Kyle Teal as the White Sox primary catcher. Join us first in the Sox Machine Podcast. You can see him on Foul Territory Daily at YouTube dot com slash foul Territory from twelve pm to two pm Central Time. Former Major League catcher, It's Eric Kratz, and Eric, thank you so much for join the Sox Machine Podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just thanks for having me on. I'm excited that you guys are part of the Foul Territory network, and I'm excited that AJ doesn't have to be the only one to talk about his beloved White Sox.
Speaker 4: Especially a White Sox catcher when it comes to the impact of Kyle Teal. So let's start there. Eric left high ankle sprain for Kyle Teal. He's now going to miss the next six to twelve weeks. What's the impact on the White Sox with this injury.
Speaker 2: I mean, right out of the gate, everybody knows Kyle Teal has not been healthy, he's not been on the field, so they've been winning without him. When I watched this White Sox team, and I'll admit I don't watch it as much as fans watch it. I watch your show and everything, but I see this guy and I saw him ever since he got traded. He got traded from the Red Sox. I saw him early in his career when I worked for the Red Sox for a little bit and just talking about him two people or other people talking about him. His numbers don't necessarily as you see him on the board here, don't necessarily pop off the page. But his intensity, his like focus on baseball is something that's unmatched. And when you talk about the catching position, you say, okay, you need him to be offensively driven, Yes, you need to be defensively driven, and all those things. He needs to be selfless to be there for the pitchers, and I think he added something to this team that I think they were missing when when he was out, when they were trying to do the Edgar Carro dance, when they were trying to do the Drew Romo great story, like all those things. I get it, I watch them play. I just think he brings something more than what offensively you're going to see and even sometimes defensively you're going to see in the stats that I think his intensity and his focus are really encapsulating this whole team, and it sucks that he's out. It really does. No, there's no other way around it.
Speaker 4: And for this particular season, we were excited because he had an oppressive debut. Could he launch to another life like Colson Montgomery has in his second season and now Eric This is three separate lower half injuries. The pulled hamstring from the World Baseball Classic, twisted his knee in rehab, and now a high ankle spring. With these three separate lower half injuries, are there any concerns as far as longevity as Kyle Teal being a catcher.
Speaker 2: Not in this sen age. No, We're not in the early nineties when it's like, well, probably going to have to cut his leg off. You know. It's now. We have a lot of great rehab abilities. We have an ability to come back from different injuries. Is it more rigorous as a catcher? Yes? Is one of the tools that he has speed gonna be hindered a little bit? Yeah? Maybe, But I mean when he pulled his hamstring in the World Baseball Classic, you saw that like he was getting after it, Like it wasn't like he was just cruising through things and then he pulled something like he plays hard that might need to be curtailed a little bit to stay healthy. But he's also like five years old, he's super young. He's gonna learn that kind of stuff. And if anybody says, well, you know, lower half injury when you're a catcher, this is terrible. Like example a Buster Posey, Yeah, shattered his ankle. I mean if you see that. I got to see the X rays of his ankle. It was not good. And you go, uh oh, like a lower half ankle injury that is that is going to spell doom and gloom for the rest of his career. And now you know we're going to be voting for him for the Hall of Fame soon. So no, I don't think it's going to unless he's not able to curtail what is causing these injuries.
Speaker 4: And with the injury, I don't know if you've got a chance to watch as far as the highlight, but as you know, catchers get put into really bad fielding spots, especially a place at home plate and fielding those throws from the outfield as Brida Montgomery's throw was more up the first baseline until caught it. He's on his knees and he's leaning over to try to tag the runner. Is there a better technique in that particular play that Kyle Teal still needs to learn to avoid hurting himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, and I'm sure that he'll go through it, or he has gone through it. You put yourself, you practice techniques, and then when the game happens, you get the freaking job done. Like it's like you practice perfect blocking techniques. When it's time to block, you might look like a rodeo clown, like trying to sling your arm out there to block something that's probably gonna hurt. Like it's one of those things that yes, he put himself in a position. His injury actually is not that dissimilar to what happened to Buster Posey. If you remember that collision a long time ago with Cousins. I forget what his first name was, but as a play at the plate the ball, he was in a good spot. The ball bounced and then he kind of stuck to the with his knees in the ground, and that ankle got rolled up under him when Cousins hit him. Then his ankle stayed where it was and rolled up under him. Same with Teal. That ball kind of was in an awkward spot. Instead of shifting and moving his feet, staying on his toes, especially his left foot. Now we're getting really you know, mechanical about it. But if he stays on his toes, now he's able to step back or when he goes to make that move that like from his right side over to his left side to extreme tag because he was trying to the runner was trying to avoid a tag. Now it's more of an athletic move where he goes from his feet or even from his toe in like a crouch's position, and he's able to go down on that left knee. Instead, he was already down two knees and when he goes to roll that foot is basically both his feet were out like this and it just gets up on it and all that weight. And again, like I don't know how to say it other than the guy plays hard and he's not going to he doesn't care, like I wish I knew exactly hell when he's I think he's twenty four, he might be twenty three, but he puts his body at risk to get the play done. He puts his body at risk running down the line to be safe at first or to get to second on a hustle double. Like to me, his mentality and his mindset are what encapsulate this team, like I said, but it's also what could cause some of these types of injuries. But you learn that, you really do. You learn it, and he's gonna go over it and he probably already knows. I'm not saying that catching coaches haven't gone through that with him. It's just one of those things that in the moment, got to get the job done.
Speaker 5: Hey, for the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuish and free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, all in a setting that works for your family. And they've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families. And Todd Father, you've raved about the homeschooling experience.
Speaker 6: Hey, if you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's at. I've had a couple of my children who've been homeschooled. It's a fantastic opportunity for them. Not only to get better in school, but timely fashion too and make some new friends. K twelve has every opportunity to make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 5: See how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com. Slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 4: Now, before Teal arrived, White Sox, as you mentioned before, had Eggar Carro gave them runway that didn't work. He ended up getting demoted to Charlotte. Drew Romo is still struggling at the plate. The advanced metrics do not like the combination of Drew Romo and Eggar Carrow, both offensively and defensively. With the trade deadline coming up and the uncertainty when Kyle Teal If Kyle Teal returns to season Eric, do the White Sox have to acquire another catcher before the deadline.
Speaker 2: I say this with all due respect to two guys who are now like back up kinds of guys that I was. You think one of those two guys can step up and play. You look at the numbers and you go, they're never really going to hit. They haven't had, you know, had large enough sample size, whether in TRIPAA or in the big leagues that there's some deficiencies there hitting. So what are you looking for? You're looking for a guy who can control the pitching staff who really needs it, because your pitching staff is not Like, you're not rolling out cy young winners. Maybe future side with young winners. You know, I'm not saying that they can't, but you're not rolling out guys that are doing it on their own. You need to be able to have guys that can execute game plans and defensively be back there and do the things that acquire value, that give them value. And I look at a guy like, who are they going to trade for? Well, they're not going in for the Hunter Goodman's, the Shey, Langaliers, the even We talked to somebody on with fishal on first, one of our other shows in the Foul Territory Network, and I said, what about a Liam Hicks. A Liam Hicks would be an upgrade offensively awesome, but are the White Sox willing to make that big of a move. No, the White Sox are willing to make a move to find somebody that can give them value, I think defensively, but also gives them a lot of you know, more of a veteran presence behind a dish. And when that happens, fans are gonna look at it and go, why do we need a guy that's hitting won this or one that like I get it, I played. I was that guy. Like teams traded for me and they were like, why on earth do we trade for this guy? He's a career two ZHO nine hitter, Like he stinks. I added value with the mint. I added value, veteran presidence, all that stuff, and that kind of stuff helps your team win. So the name when you asked me to come up with somebody and AJR talking about it, Jonaheim. There's Jonaheim at right now. Jonaheim is not gonna cost you very much. I get it. He's not say Langeliers, He's not you know whatever. You could say, well we want the best catcher in the game, Well it's not gonna happen. Okay, Like that's just that's pumped the brakes. But a Jonaheim adds that defensive metric. He's won a World Series. He adds that offense, and you know what, He's not a starting guy, but he has started. So can the White Sox go and get that? Because to me, Teal's not back this year. I make this move saying Teal's not back. I'm not a doctor. He could come back at six weeks and be one hundred percent fine, then you know what you got. Then you got Kyle Teel and a World Series winning catcher. Whatever you think of Jonaheim right now, I know he adds value and it's gonna be more value than what they're getting consistently from a Drew Romo or a Edgar Carroll or the smattering of other aerickrats minor league. You know, backup catchers that you're gonna get.
Speaker 4: Now, my last question to Eric, as someone that's been traded and been that guy, if the White Sox do trade for like a Jonah Haeim or anyone to help on the catching situation, because that extra layer of not being very familiar with White Sox pitchers, what is that transition period like when they join the new team.
Speaker 2: I love that you asked that because I love talking about this. It's not that tough like Everyone's like, Oh, it's gonna be so tough, from front offices to fans to even sometimes some other catchers, And I'm like, it's not that tough. I did it. I wish I knew how many times I didn't, but I did it way too many times. I got traded over to the Royals. Did I catch a lot? No? I didn't, but I was there, And the process is exactly the same as when I got traded over to the Yankees in twenty seventeen, over to the Brewers in twenty eighteen, or the or the Rays in twenty nineteen. All playoff teams, all games matter when you're catching in playoff situations, and you know what you do if you're a catcher, you put the effort in to learn the guys. You learn the guys. You know what I get traded over to. I get traded over to the Rays, and the first day I'm there, I show up in Yankee Stadium and I got to catch Blake Snell. I watched Blake Snell. I don't know jack about Blake Snell as far as like catching him in a game, facing him, I do, But I'm like, you know what, today I have to have a crash course in catching Blake Snell and we're gonna go from there. You learn it on the fly. It's not that crazy if you put the effort out there, if you go whatever, you know, I'll just catch what hey, just throw me what you got. Sorry, those days are gone. Like like, I don't care who you are, if you're if you're Noah Schultz to Shane Smith to Davis Martin, I don't care where you're at. Triple A, big leagues like they want to be cared about, cared for known, And if you don't put that effort in as a catcher who just showed up, you're not going to get the most out of them. And this is a playoff team, not even just playoff contending team. The White Socks are a playoff team. And without that catching position, without these pictures that you have, because you're not going out and getting some dudes, you know, they might get Gosman. I think that would be a tremendous fit if they would get Gosman. But he can do is, he can do his own thing. But the catching position just means you got to care about the dudes on the mound and fans whoever they get pump the brakes. The dudes will hit. If a backup catcher gets brought in and he gets to play on a consistent basis, they end up hitting. Even crappy hitters like me end up hitting the more you play because it's consistent. The value is behind the dish and that's why I love you.
Speaker 1: Know.
Speaker 2: If they were to go get a Jonaheim type of.
Speaker 4: Player, well, I appreciate your insight.
Speaker 2: Eric.
Speaker 4: Again, you can see Eric daily Monday through Friday on YouTube dot com slash Foul Territories. They live stream from twelve to two pm covering all things Major League Baseball and with the White Sox being good. That's why we're part of the fil Territory Network and they'll be talking more about this crazy race in the American League Central. But Eric, thank you so much for joining the Sox Machine podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jeff.
Speaker 4: Shop the twenty twenty six All Start collection now at the new look File Territory shop dot com. The drop features every All Star, including Munatako Murakami, Miguel Vargas, and Tristan Peters. Keep an eye out for more officially licensed gear throughout the rest of the season and playoffs at File Territory Shop dot com.
Speaker 5: Howard, I'm so glad I saved your number.
Speaker 2: My husband fell at a construction site.
Speaker 1: Of his en a condition, and I'm very sorry to hear that. I just want to let you know I'm here to help. Yeah, tell me more about it. Work injuries not only affect the victim, but also everyone around them. INK Launch, Chicago based here to advocate on your behalf with over one hundred attorneys and staff. If you or somebody you know has questions about a work injury called three one two six million injury law made personal, that's taking law now.
Speaker 4: Continuing the conversation on the impact on the Chicago White Sox with Kyle Teal's injury, joining me a Sox Machines beat reporter James Vegan and managing editor Jim Margulus and hello gents, we just got to hear from Eric Kratz about the White Sox situation and Kyle Teal missing six to twelve weeks. Now that timeline may have changed, James as Scott Murkin, white Sox beat reporter for MLB dot Com, tweeted after having a conversation with Kyle Teal, that it might be five to eight weeks.
Speaker 7: We'll see.
Speaker 4: But you also wrote an excellent column about how the White Sox still view Kyle Teal in the long term, and I guess with three injuries in the lower half this year, their view as far as Kyle Teal being their future catcher long term hasn't changed, right, man.
Speaker 7: I haven't talked to them a ton about it. I just think it's in terms of what you've invested into this prospect, what you believe and state repeatedly in kind of different specific ways that are hard to fake about what you believe. The ceiling is doesn't make this sound like something you can really replicate in an easy way, like you.
Speaker 2: Didn't get Kyle Teal for cheap.
Speaker 7: You can certainly say they did well in the gair crochet trade, but you can't say like this is like something that you easily replicate via This is not the Milwaukee Brewers finding a number four starter level of like, well, we'll you do this on that deep all the time and it's repeatable our method like both Teal and Carrow Caro like obviously they took advantage of like the Angels in a desperate situation, but like and they were rental trades but they were they were they were solid assets that they sent to them at least in terms of rentals at the time.
Speaker 2: Like these were not.
Speaker 7: They haven't shown anything like they've obviously shown an ability to acquire catching and you know, get it up to the majors, like while still trending towards the top hundred, you know performance in the minors. They haven't shown they can easily get this in a way. And you know, people talking about like Shae langeliars like that's something that basically is going to cost like probably not the crochet trade, but you're talking like you're talking about like fixing the catching position from like your own crochet trade from the other side and giving up that level of value. Like that's when you're talking about a deadline that honors the twenty twenty six team but also doesn't compromise you for the future. This would be example of leaning towards present face. So like, I don't see how based on what they felt that this is how they've talked about this guy throughout that this is the sort of hurdle that you know makes you pivot in a big way. Is it concerning Is it like this new thing that certainly needs to be managed, and like his off season training needs to be all about like finding out like why what do we can do to even help you or prevent this? As much as these all, like a lot of them seem like freak injuries, you know, on an individual basis, Yes, that's like clearly the big project of the off season for him. I have no doubt that everything we're gonna be, like talking as Kyle Teal about like next spring is going to be like, oh, what I did this offseason, you know, to try to address this, or what I did to recover from this, So now I feel like I'm not compromised, but there's any risk of like something propping up again, obviously that's going to like rule the day. But as far as like what they put in to get here, what they've talked about it all up to this point, I don't think is like a, you know, I can't stay healthy. I think we're out on this one. I would almost say.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 7: Just because like he's been on the field, I would argue like probably Caro's had like a worse year for a stock than Teal has. Like sure, certainly injuries as they pile up over time, become their own issue. But like in terms of like the opening anecdote, the story I use, like his bats being we being way up, you know, his framing scores were like weren't quite like this is a star, this is what he's doing, but like a shadow striker, Like there was positive notes to it as far as like him realizing what they thought he was going to be to some degree at least in terms of like obviously he didn't get like surface level results really going in some big way, and is that that's like someone's still kind of finding their timing. But I think he's more closer or he's seeing more flashes of like, hey, this is what we want this to be than even like you know, Caro's swing just looking like, you know, he's just not on time for fastballs in the way that he even was last year, let alone what he was working to aspire to be yet and you have to figure out why that is. And that's like kind of a bigger question of what you do to do, uh, you know, turn that around. So that's more of what I'm saying as far as like they kind of have to still be in on Kyle Teal just from like from what they've already put in, and how reasonable is to really find like a high caliber replacement. All their language about it is like catching his gold.
Speaker 2: This is so, this is so valuable.
Speaker 7: It's because it's hard to acquire and because like if you want to, like now get a new franchise catcher the deadline, As you know, many of our readers are kind of like scoping out, like, Hey, I don't know what your pitching ambitions were, but like turn them down three notches because you now have the because you're going to go shop in the expensive aisle for this extremely rare and hard to find commodity.
Speaker 4: And I guess you could have done that in the draft with von Lackey if you drafted based on need. But when the White Slacks at the draft, Kyle Tee was healthy.
Speaker 7: Uh, And the only idea that the college catcher you pick in July is going to be solving your immediate ageor league need for a playoff raise. You could pick a part of that ideal, and like, if you find the one, everyone thinks you're a gene forever, but you'll probably not a safe thing right.
Speaker 4: The whole preventing these injuries though, to your point, James, they are freakish, like maybe you can stretch a little bit more and take it easier in the spring so you don't pull a hamstring, but twisting your knee on a swing display at the plate. Even though Eric made a good point that there are certain techniques that Kyle Teal could work on to prevent hurting himself when he has these types of situations and staying on his toes and not twisting and contorting his body when he's on his knees. There's some things that Kyle Teele could work on, but it is three separate lower half injuries, and I'm not exactly sure and how he can prevent these moving forward. I guess my concern, James is we've been through this rodeo before, Luis Robert Yowan, Makatta, Eloy Hemenez. Like this is my concern right now is I'm really hoping for Kyle Teal's sake he doesn't have all this bad injury luck like very recent Harold did White Sox prospects went through.
Speaker 7: It takes a toll, like if you keep getting this, like if your legs keep taking drama, like there's a there's a residue of that, there's a longer term compromise to what's happening structurally, if you keep it, like you don't want these to keep happening, not just from like a you know, a single like, Oh, he's out for this long and then we get him back he's one hundred percent, but like, if you keep having these like issues can file like it becomes harder and harder to maintain. Yeah, that's that's definitely concern. I think it's true with any player, and obviously being burned and like really like seeing like the last years of like Eloy Amenez with the White Sox where it was like so much to just him having to like it, just like seeing him like trying to get into a rhythm offensively, trying to like get into his legs and swings we could lift the ball and like being this paintaking process to get him upright and right. When he like sent it gets going again, something crops up and he gets taken down to zero, and like seeing how the frustration mounted for him. Like that's definitely like something that I can understand being everyone's minds. When you see somebody like go through repeated stuff over the course of the year, I know it's certainly on mine. I just don't think like what like taking them all in the vacuum. It's like, you know, doing high level international competition in March in an early part of your ramp up, and then it's you know, hooking your cleat on and he switches the plastic cleats after, and then it's like, you know, maybe as you you know, reference in the conversation you have with air krats, like is it a technique thing that he fixes? And then like theoretically you can look at all of them like, hey, there's something we've done that can make these go away in the future or less likely in the future that you hope latches on. But yeah, it's certainly worriesome. It's certainly something like for somebody whose career is so built around you know, his legs being strong, being indominal, being durable, Like it's a concern. I just don't think it's quite like one, you know, past the point of like no return, or like this is just happening and for reasons that you know, we wouldn't happen to anyone else, or that this is like kind of becomes brings this guy back down to like not an exceptional prospect or not like a you know, a pretty good, like franchise.
Speaker 2: Level catcher.
Speaker 7: It's a project to work into as as Sitan and the piece like Adlie Ruschman, Hunter Goodman and Shaye Langeliers, none of them were as good in the majors at age twenty three as Kyle Teel was. Like this guy has been pretty precocious and he's still pretty early on in his career for a position that has a lot of weird it's famous for twist and turns. Developmentally, you don't want to be a year with just getting hurt in a way that like compounds it in some way. But it's certainly not oh Man, like this is project has just taken all on so much water. Let's abandoned. Like for most parts, he's kind of ahead of the game as far as like catching prospects go or young catchers who established themselves, Like it can take a while, it takes weird turns. It can also take a return where he's not catching anymore and like he's you know, Wilskon Trere's in the back half of his career where it's just like kind of a bat and people don't even remember him catching half the time. I don't know, like it can be weird, but I don't. I just don't think it's, like, you know, this is the end sort of a thing for a twenty four year old catcher who's you know, hit really well in the majors for long stretches and definitely annihilate a triple A offensively whenever he's been exposed to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you, James. I don't think this is going to be the end of Kyle Teal's tenure as catcher. I'm just wanting to punge the nearest wooden object, Jim, to make sure he doesn't follow in line of Luis Robert, you on m Conn and Eloy Hammanez, it's just been a bad.
Speaker 7: You can have commonredable baseball injuries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no kidding, right, just no kidding, all right, So, Jim, I asked Eric Kratz this question. With Kyle Teal's injury, should the White Sox make a trade for a catcher?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 8: Uh, you had me. Let's try to come up with three names. And now that we're on the foul Terrantory Network, I was going to say a J. Persinski, a J Persinski, A J. Persinsky just to see if he would arrive like the candy Man. But yeah, I think there are enough options available on the trade market. Be they you know, super solutions, be they rentals, be they just kind of guys with a strength to where they should find somebody, because you know Caro and you know Romo. They got by with them well enough the first time. But I think it serves as a cautionary tale of just can you try pressing your luck again and seeing if you can get the exact same results as a team with the exact same results from the catching tandem, it seems unlikely, kind of like we saw the White Sox running out of gas a little bit with Murakami outs and finishing slightly below five hundred. It does feel like they would be just trying to win a very near bet once again with the catchers they have on hand.
Speaker 5: Todd father, are you hitting some games this summer? What's the deal?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 6: And it's real simple, Scotty Braun. You know how it is. You go to seat Geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to seat Geek and you'll find something that you love affordable for your family that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime, at any ballpark and stadium you want enjoy it. It's the best opportunity to go see a beautiful game of.
Speaker 5: Baseball, and that's the thing that you can be so last minute. Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you covered for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea Geek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events.
Speaker 2: So go check it out.
Speaker 5: Right now, FTFAM. The code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app, and then the code automatically is added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 4: Let's take a look at some options for the White Sox then before the deadline, Jim, and let's start with Eric's recommendation as far as Jonaheim and Jonaheim this season for the podcast listeners, offensively not terrible. For catchers, He's got nine homers thirty one RBIs his way to run. His credit plus is ninety one. He's slugging four to twenty nine. He's already played for two teams this season. He checked on Jonaheim Jim. Would that be a good target for the White Sox.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think he's probably the one who checks off the most boxes in terms of shouldn't cost a ton. I mean, the A's got him for cash from the Braves. I don't think the White Sox could get him for cash, given that he's playing a whole lot better now. But he's then, I guess, you know, through the transaction cycle a few times after peaking with the Rangers, and seems like he's picked himself up up pretty well in time. This really well to have a market for a contender, but there's the possibility of it bottoming out again. Like he's not somebody who has a strength in any reliable regard. Like he's an okay framer, kind of okay in terms of defensively switch hitter sometimes as a matter because he isn't effective from either side, but in this current form he hits left. He's pretty well, which is a skill that this White Sox lineup can use. So I think based on where the A's are, and that him's a free agent after the season. You know, they're looking to get something for him. The White Sox aren't looking to commit beyond the year, you know, assuming that they're still into what Kyle Teal is offering. So on those grounds, a matchup works pretty well. Just the case where you know, the other teams could be saying the same thing. They're looking him short up their catchers, and so that could make the market a little bit more heated than maybe Heim's previous transaction costs would lead you to believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a that's a good point, Jim, so you recommend it too. Let's start with the defensive specialist over in San Diego, Freddy for mean and offensively, he's right there with Drew Roman Egar Carro with the fifty two wit to run runs creative, plus he's batting one fifty nine as OVP and slugging are below three hundred. You wouldn't trade for him, Jim, because of offense. I'm thinking you are making the suggestion because he would greatly help defensively behind home plate.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is the Cleveland Guardians plan of rolling with Austin hedges. Although you know We talked about hedges before and how you start hitting but hedges and then doubling down on that with Patrick Bailey, just going for a defense and know how behind the plate.
Speaker 2: For Mean is a a.
Speaker 8: Above average framer and he's got a great arm, like great at killing the running game.
Speaker 2: Was a valuable back up for the Royals.
Speaker 8: The Padres acquired him last year into trade and plugged him in and he helped the Padres you get to the postseason. He played pretty well in the postseason, so they rolled into this year as with him as the most time starter, we're seeing Luis Campusano come in and earn some playing time. He's a younger option, definitely offers more at the plates for me, and has had a couple of head related issues, which I guess would be the flag here when it comes to acquiring him, as he had a concussion and then he had a head contusion. So he's been on the injured list a couple of times over the last month or so with foul ball issues. And so with the catcher, he can't downplay that and say like, oh, just bad luck. That's kind of thing that can accumulate, so I have to be very careful about that due due diligence. But if the Padres are looking to reshape the roster for Mina is thirty one, not hitting, not somebody plan around necessarily a catcher like that into his early thirties, and the Padres might have enough options behind the plates as they reshape the roster looking at the rest of the season, and it's the next season to where they're fine letting for men go. And last year the Padres got him for a couple of up and down arms Stephen Colek and Ryan Burgett, and they're you know, continue to be up and down. We've seen colec you know, the White Sox hit him pretty well, although Colek also has a shutout this year, but now he's on the injury list for the rest of the year. But the White Sox have those up and down arms. If the transaction costs anything similar for me is making more than he was making last year because he's are of eligible, but not so much like he's making two million, you have not really a cost. I think that alters trade calculus too much. But if that's what it costs last year to acquire him, and he's you know, again not really hitting, and more of a defensive specialist with some injury concerns. Maybe then that might be a guy whose price is more acceptable.
Speaker 4: And then finally, in the most po popular recommendation on social media and the comments section at socks Machine, and that is Tyler Stevenson. Stevenson right now way to runs great a plus ninety two. He's slugging three ninety one, respectable batting average at two forty four, and he's getting on base at a three twenty one clip. He has eight home runs in twenty seven RBIs this year, and his war is zero point three. Would this be your top target gym for the White Sox before the deadline if they want to help out the catching situation, I would.
Speaker 8: Say a top target I think, you know, for me, if he's healthy, I think offers a strength the White Sox could use, so I think I'd be right there with him, kind of going back and forth. Stevenson is kind of the polar opposite in that he's very watchable at to play and I think the most reliable hitter of the three we're discussing. He is going to be a free agent at the end of the year, so he's a rental and not like a rental on the scale of Ryan Jeffers. I don't know if the Twins are looking to trade Ryan Jeffers, because they're in the race as much as anybody, I think in that wild card race below five hundred, and you know, he provides a very valuable bet for a catcher. But if they wanted to see what they could get and roll with Victor Keratini as their primary catcher, they could maybe justify doing that, and I think the price would be probably be too high for the White Sox, you know, kind of that super solution. But I think Stevenson is rental offers the most reliable bats, watchable at the plates in a way that White Sox catchers haven't been watchable. But the defense is pretty bad. Like he in terms of where Stackast has him, he's towards the bottom in terms of run value as a catcher, So you are trading off work behind the plate for what he does at it. And based on what the White Sox have seen and who they can balance them with, that might be something worth considering still, but I think you kind of have him and for me representing the ends of the spectrum in terms of do you want offense. Do you want a bat that you don't mind coming to the plate with a runner on second and third and you know the game on the line, or would you rather have that kind of veteran catching presence the White Sox haven't had for a couple of years that can really nail down the position they had recent McGuire for a little bit, I guess that would be the most comparable example, But for most of the time over the last couple of years, it has been really young catchers. So if you want that veteran catch and throw guy behind the plate for mean would check those boxes.
Speaker 4: I guess we can go around the horn. Are we expecting the White Sox before the deadline to trade for a catcher?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Or no, James, I'll start with you.
Speaker 7: I would expect them to acquire a catcher in some fashion, Okay, if it's like some sort of waiver claim free agency, like stop gap backup level dude, and it's not a trade, but like someone else enters the mix in some way, like I want to claim that too, but inciting that I want to like kind of state my expectations for it to be more on the mild side rather than like multiple years of control new one a like option necessarily that would like surprise me, if only because like those are bigger trades unless they're less likely to happen, unless you find you always are smarter by saying it's unlikely saying it's gonna happen, and I like to, you know, be smart and be extremely risk averse about my reputation.
Speaker 4: So the target clearance aisle, which I guess all three of these catches that we talked about, could be that. But I can understand your point of the White Sox may want to hunt on the waiver wire rather than give up any prospects to acquire a catcher via trade. James is saying yes, Jim, yes, or no White Sox add a catcher before the deadline.
Speaker 2: Yes. Uh.
Speaker 8: Kind of along the same lines of they could just try to pry somebody who's doing well in Triple A. I couldn't really identify that kind of candidate who I looked up like the teams that are rich in catching, and then I looked at uh their Triple A rosters to see if there's like a well, Cory Lee isn't quite doing this year, but just somebody who is killing it in Triple A and just is not a part of the plans and is maybe on the veteran side or has maybe been a third catcher for teams in the past, and the White Sox might be able to get him for cash consideration something like that. Didn't really see anybody fitting that description of just like currently killing it. I think like the closest is Chucky Robinson with the Dodgers, and the White Sox have had him before, and he's been up and down for the past couple of years of the Dodgers, and I mean, you know, Dodgers is another bad team to look at in terms of hu is this guy useful for this kind of just we need a catcher, We need somebody behind the plate to you have some idea what he's doing when there's an emergency. And I think he fits that bill well enough. So like that that level I think of acquisition might be possible if they look at the trades and say, like, well, we want to direct the resources to a starter, and what they're asking for catching is demanding the same players that we want to direct elsewhere, and that might be where they look for. Yeah, the clearance aisle, the you know, the wreck outside the store saying make me an offer that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do think that the White Sox, I'm gonna say they're going to go the trade route. I really do like the idea Joannah him. I'm fine with any of the options that you also present to Jim. We'll see what the White Sox do. But maybe they do get some good news and maybe the White Sox front office believes Kyle Thiel could return within five to eight weeks rather than the six to twelve week window. Really depends on how his rehab goes. But after watching this series against the Texas Rangers, I don't know if I really trust Eggar Carro and Drew Romo five more weeks to help the White Sox offensively and defensively stay ahead of the Cleveland Guardians. But let us know in the comments section, either on YouTube or on soxsmachine dot com what direction you want the White Sox to go with this particular situation. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine Podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening. A huge shout out to Aerkrats for joining us at the beginning part of the show. Again, remember to watch filel Territory daily from twelve to two pm Central Time on YouTube dot com slash file Territory. You can subscribe to the sox Machine podcast if you want to listen to the audio version. Wherever you listen to podcasts such as Spotify and Apple Music, you could watch the show. We are now a video podcast at our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. Follow us on social media. We're on all the social media platforms at sox Machine. Follow James Vegan at Jrfvegan. You can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh. If you like to help support us, not only can you subscribe to our YouTube channel, but also subscribe to us at soxmachine dot com. Our five dollars month plan, which is our introduction plan, is now just fifty three cents. It's the Chicago White Sox continue to win, so take advantage of that sale. So the first month of a sox Machine suscriptions just fifty three cents. After that five dollars a month that gets you to ad free version of the website unlocks the comments section as well for you. We have additional tiers of support, including our Veterans Committee, which our VC members are going to enjoy Sweet Night coming up here in August for the White Sox and Guardians series, and they're also in the group chat as well, so they're gonna be pestering us with questions soon all about the trade deadline, what we are hearing. So if you want the gossip whispers gossipers from sos Machine, we can join Soxmachine dot com and inquire of joining the Veterans Committee. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot Com. You're for all of things Chicago White Sox Baseball and part of the Foul Territory Network. Alongside Jim Marglus and James Vegan. I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.
Speaker 8: H