Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, Welcome to the Renee Stubbs Tennis Podcast. Caitlin, Happy birthday, my friend. Thank you, it is your birthday. How old are you today?
Speaker 2: Well, according to my wearable, I'm whoop.
Speaker 3: I'm a thirty ninety point seven year old, so I'm going to go with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, something tells me you are in your forties, but I'll let you have your whoop day.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, who's going to argue with biology. I've been getting into the gym and lifting weights so my bones don't disintegrate. I've been, you know, keeping my heart rate into his own five wow, walking a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm trying my best, and that's according to my wearable, I'm thirty nine point seven.
Speaker 2: So I just want to argue with that, don't won.
Speaker 4: There's no there's no need to argue, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, Well, normally we start with questions, and they could be rolling in as this pod goes on, because I, as usual, left it a little late to ask the questions. But some people have sent in questions already, so we're going to start with them because we wanted to start with this topic and it was a question that was asked to me on the socials and it is from garum Hawa. Please address the recent WTA transphobic announcement around testing, etc. I suppose it's inevitable in this climate, but surely there has to be some pushback from players thoughts, even though we know that our major icons like Martina unfortunately support testing.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Let's ground this question in a news A news update. So, as of this weekend, it has been reported that the WTA will sex test players on the WTA tour, which means they will be testing players with a cheek swab, a blood test or a slab a sample to tell for the presence of the s R Y gene, which is part of the Y chromosome and causes male characteristics to develop. I'm reading this directly from the BBC, just in case anybody is worried that I'm editorializing. Players will be tested once in their lifetime and only in negative results showing no presence of the gene will permit them to compete on tour. If they test positive, players will face for their medical assessment before being allowed to play. The WTA's previously policy allowed transgender women to compete on the tour if they had lowered their testosterone levels to below two point five nano milli leaders continuously for the previous two years. There are no known transgender women currently playing on the WTA Tour. I want to start there because there are no known transgender women playing on the WTA Tour.
Speaker 2: And obviously we can get into the politics of this.
Speaker 3: Martina is on one side, sort of pretty famously and a lot of people you know that I think we probably mutually admire a on the other But why, My question is why is this happening right now? What is causing this to be a priority. And as we've discussed with the WTA Tour, who is you know, facing budget shortfallows, They've had to change in leadership, They've undergone, you know, sort of a rebrand under Martina Rosati, the new WTA Venture's chair. What is making this a priority?
Speaker 1: Your answer question, your thoughts are as the same as mine.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: As you already stated, the w TA, who is in all kinds of sort of like you know, problems financially as you already stated, amongst other things, decided that they're just going to throw this spanner in the works.
Speaker 4: As we like to say in Australia, it makes no sense to me.
Speaker 1: We had, of course, we've had a transgender player already play on the WTA too, a long long time ago. Of course, Renee Richards famously played during the Martine era and Billy Jin King and Renee Richards interestingly became one of Martina Nevralova's coaches back in the day. And from what I heard in the you know on the streets, is that Renee even she said that he doesn't think that there should be transgender players in the professional realm, but there aren't any, So why is this a problem? And for such a small percentage of people in the world that identify themselves as trans This is my biggest thing. I say this all the time, and yes I'm very on the opposite side of Martina and a lot of these former players because I don't see it as a problem, and no man is deciding at eighteen or twenty years of age. You know what, I think I can win Wimbledon if I just become a woman. I'm just going to start taking estrogen and do all these things to get myself a Wimbledon title. It just doesn't happen. And so we're taking away such a small, tiny minute section of the world to make a point right now, Why what has happened to make the WTA decide that this is part of an agenda that they want to pick up and run with in the middle of the year.
Speaker 3: It's so strange. And I actually interviewed Renana Richards. We were doing a project for A twenty four a couple of years ago about World Team Tennis, which she was a pioneering presence in and.
Speaker 2: Her presence on that tour.
Speaker 3: WTA World Team Tennis was the brainchild of Billy Jean King and Larry King, her late husband, who formed essentially the first team event that mixed genders, all of them and had mascots, and it was friends coming back and It's coming back, and it was really rivaling the tours for attention and player participation.
Speaker 2: All the greats played it.
Speaker 1: Everyone, I mean a lot of top of the place didn't even go to Australia. They played World Team Tennis. They didn't need to go and play a major title. Because of that. That's just why Margaret Courts twenty four shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: Well, among many reasons, Margaret Courts record shouldn't be taken seriously, but a lot of them are because players didn't play the Australian Open, they played World Team Tennis. They also skipped at times the European Majors to play just because they were getting money. So we interviewed Renee Richards as part of this. I interviewed to Renne Richards, and she was really thoughtful. She was a lovely human being who sort of talked about how wonderful it was to be seen and represented. And she played tennis with a man called John Lucas who had been an NBA player, and the two of them, you know, touring through the sort of recently Voting Rights Act transformed deep South, you know, post Jim Crow, and how she could sometimes go in and get a beer at a roadhouse but he couldn't because he was black, and sometimes she would get looked askance at, and he had kind of had her back, and they sort of formed this really indevilable on and off court duo, you know, And she said, yeah, I was just so much stronger than the other players. I get why the WTI didn't let me plan the tour. And it was really lovely to play in the World Team Tennis Tour. It wasn't out a spout malice or spite, but it was an interesting point, you know, And I think there's honestly some validity to it, Like I get why, you know, in college athletics and in high school athletics there are some dialogues going on.
Speaker 2: I do get it.
Speaker 3: I'm not insensitive to the idea that you know, there are genetic differences at the same time, why the WTA, why now? What is the point of this, and why at a time when people are feeling the most marginalized and hated probably in their entire existence, is because of how much of a culture war this is turned into. Do this the WTA decide to even wigh into it? That's more really my question. It's like, this doesn't come from an actual incident. This isn't related to any actual tennis player where we've had somebody come and say, hey, I have you know some genetic advantages here that has happened in high school and college sports. It hasn't happened at the WTA Tour level. And so it's really really baffling to me. And it's a good question from Garam. I don't really get what it is that the WTA is focused on if this is it, and why it's not focused on regaining its place as the pre eminent league for women's sports, because, as we've sort of all agreed, it was out so far in front with fifty years of you know, really successful operation, and it's fallen behind the other sports. I don't think anybody would say that women's tennis is the most popular or most fan engaged women's sports, even though the athletes are getting paid the most. I think they would point to basketball or women's football. I think they would point to maybe even hockey. But tennis isn't isn't the top anymore, and I think that should be between that and financial stability should obviously be the focus. Maybe it will be, but it's really baffling. I've reached out to some friends of mine on the various boards, but I haven't hurt anything back.
Speaker 1: I suspect you won't hear anything back, really, because I just think that they think this is such a lightning rod conversation, which is why it's so baffling that they would even do this, Like why rock a boat that's not sinking at this point? You know the thing that might be sinking is you know, just the WTA financials in general. So why you going out and seeking sponsorship deals and going after like you said, I mean, they are falling behind the WNBA, the PWHL Women's Professional Hockey League, the NWSL, all the money that is flowing into the pre eminent sports here in the United States, for example, are getting more play. They're getting on TV more, you know, and not to bash tennis channel, but again, like even NWSL and the WNBA is currently a lot on ESPN on the weekends. I see it all the time, whether it be you know, at night it's Prime, It's on various different American networks. Whereas if you don't pay for a subscription of tennis channel, you're not really watching it. So that's why I think, you know, that's where we're falling behind. But yet here we are going after a social conversation that I just think it's so stupid, you know, you know, it's funny because this happened a lot started. The conversation started a lot around the Olympics, you know, when we had the female boxer from Tunisia and you know, there was controversy about you know, her sex, et cetera. And it's like, I know, because when I played the first Olympics in Atlanta, I had to actually do a sex test myself and we actually got given a card to basically say, oh, you're a woman, like you have the genes of a female, therefore you can participate. So I don't know where that went to and back. Clearly when I did it, I was like, this is weird, seriously, So I thought it was such an invasion of my own privacy back then, and now they're sort of like, I don't know if they're doing that for the Olympics anymore, So it's sort of a little bit weird. I did it back in, you know, for the eighty six Olympics. Now I don't believe they're doing it now for the current Olympics. So I don't really know what's going on in that front. And so why the WTA needs to venture into this category of controversy, It's just bizarre to me.
Speaker 3: I am excited to see the WTA promote their new finals location, which is a tried and true tenni environment, tennis environment filled with fans, direct flights from you know, many many major cities I'm you know, and it'll be televised in a time that a lot of tennis fans are watching. I'm excited that the WTA has incredible players with incredible rivalries, and we just saw on you know, a new champion emerge. I'm excited for so many things about the WTA Tour. So, like, you know, again, whenever we talked abou the WTA, it's always like with a little bit of an air of bafflement, like, well.
Speaker 2: Why you guys have a great product, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: And this is sort of yeah, it's just so nuts to me that this is the priority and it's coming seemingly out of nowhere. There is I guess a chance and this is maybe like the journalist in me who's thinking, maybe there's an incident or there's a situation or a player that we don't know about, something's happened behind the scenes that we have no insight into that has has triggered a policy change, and then we could debate the policy and why it's being you know, why it's being updated and what it is about, you know, the way that women's sports in these in this time can or should be operating. But not knowing that it just comes across as extremely random when there are so so so many bigger fish to fry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's so many bigger fish to fry, I mean even on our own tours, and you know the situations and we've seen, we've run the gamut of those over the last you know, fifteen twenty years that I've been a part of the thirty years that I've been out here on tour. And you know, whether it be coaches and inappropriate relationships, and you know, aggressive behavior, whether it be physical or emotional, and you know, we have safeguarding down to the WTA. Honestly, seriously, half the time wonder what they do because I never see them at tournaments, so how can they view things that are happening on the tour. But yet let's go after some you know, boogeyman, it's a amount for what reason?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It feels imaginary? Yeah, and you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, the WTA is a ton of staff in at least two countries that are having board meetings all the time and toward end yeah this like, no.
Speaker 1: They're too busy getting upset at me for tweeting out stuff about the you know, the lack of humanity to a player after a final I Madrid. Then they are worried about, like actually worrying about things that absolutely matter, like go after more sponsorship. Don't bring up a subject that doesn't need to be talked about.
Speaker 4: It is there. And I just wonder from the players board.
Speaker 1: Perspective, because there is a player board, I would like to have comments from them in regards to that.
Speaker 2: It could be the guys, so it could be that the players are pushing for it.
Speaker 4: And that's my point.
Speaker 1: So if the players are pushing for this, if there is a majority of the board saying we should be sex testing our players, then I want to know who they are. And I want to know if the players are the ones that are pushing for this. If they're not, then that's even worse that the WTA higher ups decided, Yeah, this is a this is a hill we're gonna die on.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a good point.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it sounds like something that we should definitely, like I said, I've texted a number of folks I am sure you can or have and so let's kind of keep the discussion a lot like to me, my favorite conversations on this show are when we talk about systemic stuff, just because there's so much to get into and again the product is so good. These players are upholding, they're part of the bargain. They're showing up weekend, week out, They've got an insane schedule. Their bodies are going through all sorts of wear and tear, and they're delivering in front of crowds large and small across the world, week in, week out, and I feel like, you know, it is up to the powers that be to make sure that they are well compensated, to make sure that they're protected.
Speaker 2: And in a strange way, it could be maybe a case.
Speaker 3: That again this is coming from a player that's coming from we don't know, And I kind of want us to stay on it because it's a systemic thing that definitely feels without context, you know, completely random and indicative of a lack of focus on the stuff that matters, which is make sure the tour is healthy, not losing money, and that these women have, you know, the representation and the safety and the security for their livelihoods, which.
Speaker 2: You know, we know that they depend on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's get to mister Scott Gayham again. He actually said the heaviness of the first question he wanted us to know, tell us a fantasy women's semi final at Wimble and any player from any era at their peak and predict who would win each match and final. I hate predicting who would win, so I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to do that. Don't you do it every single time? No? No, no, I do it every time.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, I will do a prediction of players, but I will not do it from different eras because I just think it's so ridiculous to compare greats from every era and say who would win different strings, different rackets, different balls, different conditions, different training schedules, different everything, you know. I mean, it's kind of funny like watching that modern day players, for example, do warm ups.
Speaker 4: And I've had this discussion.
Speaker 1: With a couple of players over the last couple of decades and you know, no offense. But back in our day, I can't even remember anyone really quote unquote warming up for a match, right. I mean, we would go maybe run on the treadmill, you know, do some little ups and downs and get a bit of a sweat going and da dah, da da dah, and then go out and play. What I see now with these players is they're doing like twenty to thirty minute warm ups, like dynamic, stretching, dynamic this, and they're rolling the ball and they' dah dah da da da, And I'm like, and then they go out and I see them not be aggressive in the hit in the five minute warm up that they have, and they're kind of like lazing it about, and then they lose their Foe Service game because they're not really quite ready. And I go and I'm thinking to myself because this has happened to me with players that I've actually coached, and I'm like, how can you not have been ready?
Speaker 4: What the fuck was the point of the twenty minute warm up.
Speaker 1: That you did with the ball and the da da da dada and you weren't really moving?
Speaker 4: Were you nervous? I don't really get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I remember back in the day with Steffie and you know, a ranch of Santas of Curry. They would do like a quick warm up and then they get on the court and do a five minute warm up and they were ready to go play. So it's kind of funny to me and I have laughed about this with certain players of certain ages where we're just like they're doing a twenty minute warm up and then they stand around for five minutes before they walk on the court, I'm like, well, now all that's gone to the shitter. So even like I don't know what players did prior back in the day and then go and play a match or not, and now picking an era of like the greatest semi final and trying to pick a winner of that is kind of impossible, but I would I would venture to say I would love to see, you know, Stephie in one.
Speaker 4: Semifinal at Wimbledon.
Speaker 1: Clearly I would love to see Martina and Avilova, and of course I would probably like to see Venus and Serena Williams. I mean, really, those are the four greatest players at Wimbledon over the last couple of decades. So I would like to see Serena against Martina and Venus against Stephie, and then maybe Stephi against Serena in the final. But it's hard to peek against Martina, who won nine Wimbledon titles. But you can't compare the because you know, Martina was serving in volleying and it was the grass was different back then and now it's like a bloody hard court. We're looking at the players that have won over the last couple of years that really have been kind of more hardcourt sort of type of players and eager. She on tech probably wouldn't have won Wimbledon twenty years ago with the grass away there was but because of the weather, because the ball bounce is higher. Now we're getting players that actually feel very comfortable on a grass court because it is way different to what it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: May I add in a name, sure, Billy Jinking, no belly. Jan King won a ton of Wimbledon. She doesn't need twenty You know.
Speaker 3: Who I I think she won like six Wimbledon. She has like eleven slams, right, eleven or twelve? Justin Hannah, Justin Hannah should have won a Wimbledon. She got to two finals. She had the perfect game prograss. She had named Immaculate Slaice. She has an Olympic gold medal. She won the Athens Olympics in two thousand and four. She won the tour finals twice. She won the Australian Open, she won the French ship in four times. She won the O's Opened two two times. I was there for one of those times when she beat Venus and Serena in the same tournament. It was awesome to me Justine Hannah was the only person at her peak who had a good record against Serena Williams. She didn't have a winning record against Serena Williams. I believe it's eight and six or something like that, but it's close and they pushed each other. She to me, was the closest the Serena actually had to a real rivalry and I would love to see them play on Wimbledon, the two thousand's, early two thousand nineties Wimbledon where it's really grass. It's not a hard court now to your point, but to me, Justin Hannah should be part of the conversation because I feel like she could complete everything about her career. I know Scott Gaham's question was about the semifinals, but I am going to interpret it as I would like to see Justine Hannah play on grass and kind of take on all comers and see and see if she could get another shot at it.
Speaker 1: Listen, Kaitlin, I had to tell you this, but as Rafael Nadal said, ef ef EF does not exist, and if you didn't win it, you didn't win it, and you had an opportunity to win it and you'd didn't when you played Maresmo, I believe in the final?
Speaker 4: Correct, Am I correct? And that's one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, So if you don't beat Maresmo in the finals, you are not as good on grass. And that's just a fact. Why because marizzoad go into the net a little bit more, she had a little bit more on her. So sorry, I can't put her in that category.
Speaker 3: I'm not nobody's asking you to put her in the category. I'm saying I would like to see Justine Hannah. I am answering the question. Your your feedback is neither required nor is it desired. Really, wow, this is Scott. Scott presumably asked the question and wanted it to be entertained in a number of different ways.
Speaker 1: So okay, well that's fine. You you want to throw who are you going to take out of that?
Speaker 3: For that I mentioned, I don't need to take anybody out you Also, he said the entire East Eve Like, I mean, we saw Stephie want at a billion times, Venus seven, I've seen a bunch, so yeah, I'll take Venus or Steffie out of there, not not doing any disrespect just because I've already seen the play at a bunch of times I.
Speaker 2: Want to see something new.
Speaker 1: Oh, this isn't about okay, so this is just purely about what you want to see as far as like your favorite player, because we know that Ana is your favorite player of all time.
Speaker 3: Fantasy Women's semi Final Draft Fantasy Okay, it's not who are the four best? It's yeah, but you gave me one. Do you like to see you only gave one? That's fes because I don't disagree with your other choices.
Speaker 4: Ah, but that's what I said. You have to take one person out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone, I'll take Steffy out. I'll take step out. That's fine, Wow, because she's already a bunch of times. I've seen her play it a bunch of times. I know what she looks like holding the Venus rosewater dish. I want a player in there who's never held it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, with that nonsense, we're going to take a break when we're going to come back, and we're going to talk more about Actually I want to talk more about a little bit about the nuances of that Wimbledon final that we spoke about last week. But I want to talk a little bit about some of the emotional side of it that it's taken me a few days to sort of get over after break.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Caitlin, we talked about.
Speaker 1: The Wimbledon tournament in you know, it's sort of like grandeur and what happened last last week. But one thing that I sort of sat watching the British Open golf yesterday and watching this guy, Ryan Fox win on the most amazing eighteenth hole he played and birdied at thirty nine years of age, and the emotion and he told his caddy don't you cry.
Speaker 4: I'm going to start crying.
Speaker 1: And then watching Spain win the World Cup yesterday Viva and Vamus Espana. I'm sorry for all our Argentinian listeners, but I really am not.
Speaker 3: We Argentinian listeners hold your country's standard of sportsmanship to a higher, to a higher standard.
Speaker 2: That was plus well, if you're an.
Speaker 3: Argentine fan, I would be hanging my head in sham as to how my team comported itself on the field. I don't care win or lose. You don't start fights, you don't act out of pocket. That was whatever is in the sporting culture right now in Argentina that allows for that is you blew it, start over every single one of those players that should be bound for games much less. I wouldn't let Argentina compete on the world stage after the performance they put into this World Cup. Absolutely despicable MESSI ruined his legacy.
Speaker 2: That's my thoughts.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yes, cakate line, this is why. This is why sometimes I know you when you get in a little you come back from Mexico and you're like all fired up, even on your birthday.
Speaker 4: But I agree with you.
Speaker 1: It was despicable. And also by far, Spain was the better team. I mean, they had six thousand shots on goal. Tina had zero. That is on you as a team. That is on your players. That isn't your coach. That is on you, guys, and you're going to start like swinging at the Spanish players after the game.
Speaker 4: Come on, give me a break. You guys should have lost six zero.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anyway, So the my point of bringing this up is the emotion of sports, right, and the emotions of winning and losing. And I just think back to and we didn't really get into the nuances of that final and sort of the close friendship between Mukhova and Noskova, but also just the fact that Lindak Noskova was able to, you know, deal with the death of her mum, who she was so close to.
Speaker 4: Her mum was on tour quite a lot with her.
Speaker 1: Mum was like a lot more involved with her tennis and I remember seeing her mum quite often on the tour, And I would love to get into the head of Linda Noskova when she left the court, you know, when she put her fingers over her ears because she wanted to block the noise. The only thing time I've ever seen that was when Bianca Drescu played Serena in the finals of the US Open and blocked her ears and I think it was like five very similar scoreline actually in the second set, when it was like she was so close to winning, and then Serena came back. And I would love to get into the mind of a player when she leaves the court like that and sort of looks herself in the mirror, and what she went through to walk back onto the court and play such an amazing third set, and the strength that she showed. And then you hear the stories of her going to Tanzania in her off season to like volunteer at a school and her dad talking about how difficult all it was for him growing up, you know, with the kids growing up and how little money they had, And I just think about the families up there and what they went through and the dad's shaking hands after the match, and I don't know, I just the sport is so amazing like that. And we saw the worst of it yesterday with the Argentinian players, but we saw the best of it with you know, Noskova and Mukhova and the fathers in the crowd and the way they both handled that whole that moment. And I don't know, I just it's why I love sports so much, is that we see the best of people.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we see the worst of it. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think it's something that we didn't talk about enough last week. In how Linda Noskova handled just such unbelievable disappointment in the second set to come back and win that third set was just remarkable.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of people that think she can get to number one in the world. I don't know how you.
Speaker 2: Feel, you are you one of them.
Speaker 4: I definitely think she can be top three.
Speaker 1: To get to number one in the world, you've got to be really consistent all the time. Do I think that she has the capability to doing that, Yes, I do. I think her serve is a little bit still vulnerable, the second serve in particular. It's the one thing I said on the network in Australia actually when she lost in Australia. She lost to Tali Gibson in Australia, and one of the things I said was that Martina Hingis's mom has done a great thing with teaching Martina Hingis how to hit groundstrokes and Belinda Bencicic and Linda Noskova and their young career. But the one thing that she does not teach well and I would definitely not send my kid to Melanie Molitor, is a serve. The thing that Noskova does well in that situation is that she's strong and she can hit it big. But it is definitely a part of her game that can get much better. And I think I don't know how she can change the service motion so much anymore. She's, you know, twenty one going on twenty two, but that would be an area that I think can get even better and bigger. And if that does happen, yeah, I do think she can get to number one in a well because she does everything really well and she has an amazing disposition on the court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no arguments here. I'm ready to talk about the tournaments that just concluded over the weekend, because there were i know, really fun. Well, it's not the only reason why. I love the fact that we had a lot of other players who haven't been in the headlines as much lately making really strong runs. Like I'm thinking of Paula Budosa, for example, who didn't win the tournament in Romania. She lost to mayosher If, the Egyptian player who's very fun and dynamic to watch, but she made a final play, especially on clay. You know, we saw Maria Sakar, who's had a rough go of it the last couple of years, you know, come up a little short against Barbara Kerdjikova, who herself has had a struggle obviously since going out with injuries. So you know, Andre Rublev won a title over the weekend in Bostad. So it's just sort of like, oh, this is fun. I like the idea that some of our are more you know, are tried, insured time members who haven't necessarily had a good couple of past seasons were able to take some titles, and you know, for me, the Slams are exciting. Obviously they attract a lot of the casual fans. To your point earlier about Tennis Channel, if you don't subscribe and you don't pay, it is hard to watch tennis on TV. I mean, even watching ESPN, it makes you go through a streaming subscription tier now and they don't put all the matches on the main channel. So being a tennis fan in America is very hard because of how little access we actually have day in and day out of watching tennis. But if you do subscribe to a streaming service like Tennis Channel, you see all these amazing tournaments. And to me, you know, I can get just as excited, if not more, about a you know, WTA two fifty final with Maria Sakary and Berba Kujikova than I can, you know, a Wimbledon final, because I like both those players and they both have interesting stories to me, and they have a cool contrast in styles. And you know, there's Marius Sachary playing in front of a home crowd in Athens, which is a relatively new tournament. So to me, tennis is great because it takes us in. It's everywhere every week, and it's happening everywhere. And even though this is a really weird stretch of the calendar because it's not quite US Open pre North American hardcourt season yet. Although some of these tournaments obviously are on heard, like I mentioned, a lot of the tournaments are on clay. You know, we had a grasscourt tournament last week in Newport, So you know, there's there's still a bit of a limbo kind of feeling to it. But I love the fact that there's amazing matches going on. And there's some names you know back in back in the headlines, and yes, Stephans tissy Pass is one of them. Fine, I just but for that crazy gay, I love him. I love that he's crazy.
Speaker 1: For me, it was good to see because you know, we know he's famously finally flicked his dad as a coach. And for our listeners of our part, I think Renee Stubbs has been asking for that for a number of years.
Speaker 2: Not you're not the only one. Pretty much everybody has been like.
Speaker 1: A number of a disaster and you know, he finally did it, and you know a lot of people are like, well, you know his dad's gotten in here, He's gotten in there.
Speaker 4: I'm like no.
Speaker 1: But the problem is that Steph loses his shit on the court, and half the time it's not even at his tennis it's at his dad, and his dad is yelping at him from the sidelines, saying stuff that is so negative. I know because I was told what he was saying at times by somebody who speaks Greek. So it's like, yeah, maybe you need somebody out there who's like rah rahring you and making you feel good.
Speaker 4: And half the time, you know, that's what coaches do.
Speaker 1: You know, there's certain you know, things that you have to tell your player, whether it be x's and o's and what we're going to work on and what we need to get better at. But in the end, you have to have someone who's supportive of you, who is really believes in you. When you get into the trenches, when you get down, you know those five match points the second round and you look up and spend Greenefeld is pounding his chest and saying, keep fighting. You need to look up and see a coach who believes in you, who thinks that you can still win, and not somebody who's going to yelp negative shit at you that makes you feel terrible about yourself on the court. So clearly that finally is working for Steph.
Speaker 4: It's nice to see him back.
Speaker 1: And yeah, with the polar Badosa thing, you know, with her run for winning a one twenty five and then coming in and getting to the finals, there is two fifty. Her ranking is back now up inside the top one hundred, so that means that she will get automatically in the US Open, which is great because she won't have play Quie. She's too good a player, a former number two in the world to be playing qualifying. But unfortunately for her, her buddy also broke down on her again in the final when she was done a setin for love to Sharif. But if the body is there, she has the game, and so you know, nobody's going to want to play a player with her caliber of ball striking and serving going into the hard court season if she's back physically okay, But yeah, it was great to see that. And Babora Krajikova is one of these players as well that gets kind of a role on and look, look how great she played at Wimbledon after again coming off some you know, health issues and things like that, and pushes Mukhovah to the absolute brink. It was one of the best matches of the tournament was that Mukhovah Kujikova match was just awesome to watch all caught tennis and Krejikova when she's at her best is really hard to beat because she doesn't have any weaknesses. So that was a tough match up for Sakari. Who I mean, we saw her win the semifinals. She was like crying, she was so happy to be in the final. And that's always a bit of an indicator for me. I want to see a player win a semi final and just go shake hands and walk off the court and be like, yeah, okay, big deal, I'm in the final. That means nothing to me. It's kind of like, you know how I looked at Zverev when he won the semi for the French Open. He knew that pressure was on him to win that tournament and he did not get excited. Even said it in the post match interview. Yeah, this is nothing I want to win. I don't want to be in a final again. And some players, you see them when they win matches in quarters or Semis. You see how excited they get, and you can kind of it's a bit of an indicator of that they almost think their tournament is over. So for Kojikova, you know, it was She's won so much, so many big titles. It was no big deal for her to be in the final. It was Sakari, you could see it was. It meant so much to her. But yeah, Rublev winning always great, and of course Steph, that was super exciting.
Speaker 4: Anyway, let's take one more quick break.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with a little bit more to finish off our point today. Okay, So Caitlin and we've already talked about spin winning. Al Karaz looks like, not only is he back holding the World Cup, Louis Vauton Purse or whatever you want to call that thing.
Speaker 4: What do you think about that?
Speaker 3: It's hard for me to think about anything other than his insane amount of hair.
Speaker 4: I was talking about the Louis Vton Purse.
Speaker 3: That now, but I'm picturing him and I'm just thinking that he has like he's back to lego hair.
Speaker 2: This kuy grows hair so fast it is just insane.
Speaker 3: Like remember when he buzz cutted his hair before the US Open last year, and like his brother did, by the third round, he had like a thick, full head of hair back already, like I can't get past it. So he has a Louisutan ambassadorship. They sponsored the tournament at FIFA and they brought out two of their global ambassadors.
Speaker 2: The other one was the Korean model woman who.
Speaker 3: Was in that show Everyone Kills each Other and it's this case that is made by the brand, and that they had him posing next to. I was more excited about Carlos Alcarez losing his mind in the stands because the amount of coverage of Carlos Alcarez specifically. My favorite one was when one of Spain's goals was wrongfully retracted and you see Carlos Aucrez jumping out of his seat with excitement and then holding his head in his hands with dismay, and I agree with him, by the way, that should have been it too. Yeah, Spain should have won the game, probably for zero. Like again, despicable, I'm saying six refereeing, but somebody put the caption when you realize the tie break is ten points instead of seven. I'm here for Carlos showing up kind of wherever and whenever. I mean he's probably here now, you know, running rampage around the city doing god knows what, buying that chains, getting his hair dyed, getting another tattoo, who knows, I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: That's actually hilarious. Yeah, I mean, he's hair is something to behold. I tell you, you know, it would be interesting to see if Novak chose to like let his hair grow the same, because I'm pretty certain they have the same hair, like you know that cheer pet hair that just like it's just it's just always there. I mean, these guys are going to have hair for the rest of their lives. But yeah, to see the unkept look. I don't know if he's doing it because he feels like I don't know. But the whole point of me talking about this is that he's in the United States, and word on the street is he is going to try and play Cincinnati. If that is the case, If I thief, I can't imagine he would have gone back to Spain. I would imagine that he would probably center himself here on a hard court somewhere somewhere and practice before Cincinnati. But it will be a great relief to tennis fans around the world to see him back playing in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I have my doubts he's.
Speaker 1: Got a girlfriend too. I mean him and Sinner getting photoed and pabbed, papped, papped, I should say not pad whatever. People get it, both of them out there in the old Mediterranean with the old blondes on a boat.
Speaker 2: I'm mad at it. I mean, shouldn't we all be on a boat in the Mediterranean.
Speaker 1: I mean I was in the Mediterranean, but I wasn't on a boat. But if anyone wants to take me on.
Speaker 2: A boat, We're open to boats. We're open. My number is one to three.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't feel good about Carlos has comeback. I'm not I'm not totally sold on it. I don't, I don't. I don't have any side information. I just I have some lingering intuition that I don't think he's actually gonna end up playing it the Os Open. I think he's gonna maybe come back for for Asia. I don't like what I've seen so far of his practicing. I think he's hitting soft, stationary balls, and I think the wrist is a really, really deeply fundamentally, you know, fragile part of everybody's biology. I know he plays such a physical game. I don't I don't see it happening. Ironically, I got invited to a documentary screening last week for the Novak Djokovic documentary that it's coming out on Amazon Prime. I snuck out before it screened because I was missing there schmoos with people sentence yet no, oh man, I had to wake up earlier next day.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's from the people from the Lost Dance, so I expected to be pretty decent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's good.
Speaker 3: I mean I planned for really, I just wasn't watching it with him in the the you know, in the at the front and he had a Q and A afterwards. I was going to get home very late. But I will watch it. But it was interesting because you know whos There was one Martin del Potro, and he was sort of shuffling around. He was kind of standing by himself. He didn't look like he he kind of looked like a man without a country. And I just was so sad seeing him because he looked sad and what happened to him was so so so tragic, not only the injury, but obviously his his terrible, uh financial situation with I guess his family members, and it sounded messy and awful, but it reminded me like the wrist is a real, real, big problem. And so for me, I'm excited Carolos is in the stands. I'm excited he's on the boat. I'm excited about his hair. But I have some serious reservations about whether or not we're going to be seeing him striking tennis balls at ATP tour speed on a hardcore in a tournament setting anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Well, every now and again I will say not to be that person, But every now and again he does respond to me on Instagram, and I did when he.
Speaker 2: Was hitting balls.
Speaker 1: I did say it was great to see him back hitting balls, and he said, you know, hopefully soon I'll be hitting it harder. And that was at the end of June, and so you know, one of the things that I did write to him was that I did have a risk injury for seven months and I said, please take your time, because it's not an injury when I sort of fuck around with and if it's sore in any way, you shouldn't you shouldn't even try and play anymore. But I sort of want to air on the side of you and be like, maybe he's taking his time and it's probably a good idea.
Speaker 4: But if not, I mean, his fitness will be good because.
Speaker 1: You can do anything you want within risk injury to a certain degree. You know, he's not going to be lifting anything above his head, but certainly his legs will be have been worked hard, so physically he should be okay. But getting back on the tennis court and hitting tennis balls is really the pre predominant thing that he needs to do. So we'll see and hopefully that happens. All right, Well, it's been a big week, mostly because of this little bit of controversy that came out just yesterday with the WTA sex testing. We spent a bit of time on that. But is there anything else, Caitlin, that you would like to talk about? Because it is your birthday, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it is my birthday.
Speaker 3: I've got some beautiful kishpul Austrian tennis in the background, which is how I like it. A low stakes first round of a clay court tournament and a beautiful setting. You can see some Austrian Alps or maybe they're the tyrolls there in the background. You know, tennis is amazing and it takes us everywhere. So yeah, I'm excited. I'm excited about the quotedian stuff. I'm excited about the d and d out. I'm excited about all these players that we just saw at the end stages of the tournaments. I desperately want a healthy Paula Bedosa back. She's so box office and such a you know, a reliably interesting player. Although I did not love seeing her chuck her racket under the stands, And I think again, everybody who does that, whether I like them or autumatic, should get an automatic deef. It's like the rules are beef and you can't you can't selectively apply them even if nobody gets hurt. You know, it's like somebody could have gotten brained in the face. Just don't throw your racket. Don't create a dangerous situation for line judges, umpires, spectators.
Speaker 2: Just cameramen, camera women. Get a hold of yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was absolutely disgrace Yeah, unnecessary, unnecessary if.
Speaker 1: You, you know, as a plier, when you let go of a racket out of your hand, whatever happens after that is on you, no matter even if it's unlucky quote unquote, you know, like, oh, I didn't mean it to hit that thing, and then it flicked up and went it. You had control of the racket in your hand and you let it go. Whatever happens after that is on you. And if it goes into the stands, you should absolutely be absolutely defaulted immediately, and that is the only way to stop. But it's kind of like when I watch soccer, Like if you go and watch rugby or basketball or anything, if you touch a ref, if you mouth to a.
Speaker 4: Ref, you are off. And I don't know how people feel about this.
Speaker 1: They can write in and let me know, because I know people that follow this know that I am a little obsessed with all other sports. But here's my idea for men's soccer going for it. I'm not even going to say women's soccer because women don't do this because the women know that they're going to get shipped for it. Because I've spoken to friends of mine who played professional soccer and they were like, we would never do that because we'd.
Speaker 4: Get so much shipped for it.
Speaker 1: If you go down and you did not get kicked or studded or whatever, and you're like or hit in the face.
Speaker 4: You know, they carry on like these idiots.
Speaker 1: There's one great Instagram photo of a video of a woman who just gave birth to a child, and it's like men had to do this. This is what they would look like, you know what I mean? Like they show these like soccer players rolling around on the ground. They haven't even been touched. If you do that and you it is caught on var afterwards, five minutes in the sinbin, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: It's like ice hockey or rugby.
Speaker 1: You go, you go off, and you sit on the sideline and you watch your team have to defend for you.
Speaker 4: Now one man down for five minutes.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: It'll stop men, It'll stop them doing it, I promise you, because as soon as they're like, oh that wasn't you weren't fouled and you rolled around seventeen times on the ground like a chicko roll. I don't know what you call them here in the States, but it's kind of like ann hazard A guess as to it that might.
Speaker 4: Just look it up.
Speaker 1: Just look up Chico roll in Australia. If you roll around like a chicko roll, you're off for five minutes. That's my that's my you know, I want to take away let's intennas. That's what I want in men's soccer.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do you one better. If you roll around on the ground, you should be teased and we'll give you something to cry about. Kind of school of thought and you can see play or not.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, you spend five minutes off the field and you get taste on the.
Speaker 2: Way out, We'll give you something to cry about. That's what this is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll give you something to cry about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely despoke. Well all right, well, lovely chat. Thank you for the birthday wishes.
Speaker 4: Thanks Caitlin.
Speaker 1: We are in the same city, so maybe I'll have to find you for a for a celebratory drink, even though I had a couple of yesterday watching Spain beat Argentina. All right, well, I'm hamidly kind of pissed because you could have I know it's not my birthday, but I really wish you'd brought me back a bottle of really expensive here but non expensive supposed to.
Speaker 2: Give you a bottle of tequila for my adress? Do youmn how many times?
Speaker 3: How many times have I celebrated your birthday through the years?
Speaker 2: I remember we charted a boat. I remember taking going out to dinner.
Speaker 1: And okay, hold a second. We didn't charter a boat. My friend didre did you just hopped on for a ride. I wasn't free, I can tell you that much. I'm just saying I'm supposed to bring you back a bottle of tekuler.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all right, mate, I'll take you out to dinner if you want. All right, I'll call you after this. All right, everyone, thanks for hanging in there with us this week. And I know we've had a little bit of controversy, so I'm expecting a lot of shit coming my way on Instagram. Anyway, we're on Twitter, all right. We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 3: May