Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte? Alrighty, We're gonna just answer some questions that came from fans, which is always fun. Thank you guys for sending me questions, and let's do it some more. Okay, all right, here's the first one. If Charlotte was to take her younger self out to coffee, what would you say to her younger self? Apparently this is a trend on social media, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: I like the trend.
Speaker 1: If I were to take younger Charlotte out to coffee, I would say, relax, it's all gonna work out. It's going to be a bumpy road, but you're tougher than you think. That's what I would say to her, and probably what I would say to my own self as well, and probably what I probably everyone would say that to their own younger selves. I don't know, but I think that I think that's definitely what I would say to younger younger Charlotte, because she's obviously so worried about her goals and so focused on her that almost to the point where she can't see what's really real in front of her, so I would say, focus less on your goals.
Speaker 2: It's all gonna work out. I think that's what I would say.
Speaker 1: Okay, my favorite outfit for Charlotte and then for the other ladies.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Very hard to pick favorites. People ask me this very often. Everyone knows I love the lipstick skirt. One time I did have this Oscar de la Renta dress. It was black lace. I believe I wear it in the first movie, to Carrie's engagement party or like night before the wedding party.
Speaker 2: That's what it's not engagement party, I don't think, is it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I wear it.
Speaker 2: It's got lace, has got a deep v neck. I wish I had that dress.
Speaker 1: It's one of the few things I don't have. Oh my god, we gave it back to Oscar dela Reenta. It was before Oscar himself passed away. He was such a lovely man, and I just wish I had that dress because it was one of my all time favorites. Though I've loved every Oscar de la Renta dress I've ever worn. In terms of the other Ladies favorites, ooh, it's tough, but you know, weirdly, yeah, I'm rewatching the first season, as you guys know, and the other day, Sir Jessica was wearing this.
Speaker 2: Butter yellow dress.
Speaker 1: It's definitely the color of yellow that is very on trend right now, and it looks almost like a nurse's uniform. It's kind of like a cotton dress. She just has a belt with it.
Speaker 2: Her hair is in this very.
Speaker 1: Cool kind of pulled back on the sides curly. It's her natural curls. I love this outfit so much. I don't remember this outfit. It's very simple for her, but I just love it. I mean, she looks good and everything. As you guys know, she can make a paper bag look good obviously. I mean, there's so many outfits that she wears that I love. But sometimes when i'm rewatching, I love the really basic, everyday thing she wears because she just has a way of making them all look amazing and styling them just so.
Speaker 2: And sometimes she messes with her clothes.
Speaker 1: On camera, like she'll fix her collar or she'll kind of pull on her shirt.
Speaker 2: And it's super interesting.
Speaker 1: It's not something that I was ever aware of then, but it's kind of unusual because as actors were kind of somewhat. Possibly the costume people don't want us to do that, but it is something that people every day do. But it's just like tucking your hair behind your ears, and every day people always tuck their hair behind their ears if you have long hair, but they don't really want you to do this when you're acting because then in continuity you have to make sure that you do it at the exact same time in the scene that you did it before, because you're going to film it from a different angle and if your hair doesn't match, it's going to mean that it's not editable, right, you can't cut it together. So the continuity people get very stressed out when you tuck your hair bind your ears, but in reality, this is something everybody does. So it's one of those really awkward things as an actor where you want to do it because this is normal life. You're trying to be as normal as you can be, but then it causes production problems. So I love her in her everyday clothes, and I love when she messes with her clothes other outfits for them. Well, listen when Kim wears the lingerie and the fur coat when she comes to my apartment, I'm still in the first season, right, So it's on my mind. It's incredible. And the funny thing is that I do tend to think of the first season as not really being kind of fully formed in terms of our style yet, because we weren't able to borrow clothes because no one knew what the show was and this I don't know what that coat is. I don't know where they got that coat and what lingerie she's wearing, but it could not be more incredible out there on Fifth Avenue or whatever it's supposed to be Central Park West. I think it was actually a Fifth Avenue though, But it's so great and powerful and you know, I don't use this word lightly, but iconic.
Speaker 2: Let's see for Miranda.
Speaker 1: I don't know that we've come across any like complete favorites yet.
Speaker 2: In Miranda's first season, we're.
Speaker 1: Maybe her suit in the beginning and the pilot it's gray and she's.
Speaker 2: Got a rebox on. I'm gonna go with that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know what.
Speaker 2: I really love.
Speaker 1: I love these crazy overalls that are coming that people wear on Halloween. Now she's got like overalls and like a buffy coat, and I don't know how come she's wearing that.
Speaker 2: I don't remember why. I don't know why Pat let her wear it. It's really funny. I think she might have a baseball cap on.
Speaker 1: I really love those funny, really weird Miranda outfits. But I also really love her bride'smaid's dress for Carrie's wedding. It's like that beautiful, strong periwinkle blue as a Zach Posen dress. If it isn't this so beautifully and looks so gorgeous with her hair and her skin is just glowing. It's very beautiful dress. Those come to mind, But you know, ask me tomorrow and I'll have you a different set of answers.
Speaker 2: Okay, can I define the Charlotte aesthetic?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, sure, the Charlotte aesthetic, which definitely is not happening yet in first season so much, I mean a little bit, but not a lot. Her look is that she likes something that's structured and starchy, like you know, Crisp Cottons an a line skirt as time goes on, a tighter skirt. Pat, you know, kind of talked me into it as time went on. But in the beginning, I like Crisp a line skirt, a wide belt, Cinchton like if my belt is not Sinchton when I'm working, I just don't even feel like I'm Charlotte. Basically, she loves white, black red. I'm a winter so Charlotte likes winter type colors. Pat and Mollie have always enjoyed putting me in like blues, like soft powder blues. I don't really love them on myself, to tell you the truth, but they're always trying, so I still kind of let Molly do it. Love pink obviously, don't even have to say that. Charlotte also likes a little bit of whimsy in her outfit. So like in the original show, I used to have all these cute little Peter Pan type collar shirts that were mume I feel like, and they had little little like sequence and things sewn on them.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I love Prada, the Proda lipstick skirt.
Speaker 1: Kind of a little bit tongue in cheek, just to you know, have some kind of sense of humor about her clothes. I guess also really loves wait pearls, which sometimes is a problem because also Carrie loves pearls, So I have to pick and shoes where I'm gonna wear the pearls, But pearls obviously make perfect sense, as Charlotte is the you know, Park Avenue girl.
Speaker 2: What else, She's very.
Speaker 1: Into her diamonds, goodness as time goes on. Wow, We've got a really incredible set of jewelry from miss Charlotte. Sometimes I'm just blown away by her jewels. She loves her Cardier watch. She's had some incredible jewelry over the years. She's definitely a jewelry girl. And I was gonna see something else, but it went out of my mind. But you know, she loves her Manolo pump. We've got every color of those things. I've been building my collection for many years, me and Charlotte also.
Speaker 2: Building the collection of Manolo pumps, Swayed, Patton, regular leather, all of them.
Speaker 1: But I think I think I was mostly just gonna say there's a little bit of whimsy in Charlotte's look, which I think people forget when they think about the structure, which is also very true. But I have a lot of kind of whimsical, funny little pieces, like I had this beautiful bow necklace that was made of diamonds way before bows were popular. It's a really good one. I think it was possibly dere jewelry I'm not sure, like just like like girly things that are just a little bit you know, kooky, I guess would be a word.
Speaker 2: Okay, next question, Oh, this is an odd one.
Speaker 1: If Charlotte were to date any of the other lady's men, who would it be? Okay, So definitely that would be a big no now And one of the only notes that I ever remember HBO giving to the show, like as a storyline from our read through. We would always do a read through where they would come or have someone there right to listen. There was this storyline where I think it was Miranda and Carrie both like the same guy, or one of them dated the guy, and then the other one states to guy, but then the other one isn't wonder to da guy.
Speaker 2: I can't remember. They argue about a guy and HBO said, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: The women will never be arguing over a guy, and that was really smart of them, and I'm really glad they did it because we've just seen so much of that in film and television and it's just kind of ig you know, and I don't really feel like it happens that much in life, because I think that women know not to date people that their other friends have dated, you know, so that's one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Do I think I could have played any of the other characters?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Know, I think I've covered this already.
Speaker 1: They did send it to me for Carrie at one point, and I definitely do not ever, ever, ever think in my wildest dreams I could to ever pull off Miranda or Samantha, and not even Carrie, so only.
Speaker 2: Charlotte for me for sure.
Speaker 1: What is something you wish Charlotte would have gotten the chance to do but it didn't happen. Okay, I do think I've said this publicly, so I'm going to say it again. I hope I don't get in trouble with Michael Patrick. But when we were trying to plan the films, there were many times that we were trying to plan a film and then it didn't happen. And then eventually, obviously the two films that you guys have hopefully seen happen. But there was going to be a film in Michael Patrick's mind where right at the if we had done the film immediately after the end of the series and Charlotte had adopted Lily with Harry, and Michael planned that Harry, no Harry didn't go. Charlotte was going to take Lily to China so that she could see where she came from, and they were going to have to go into the countryside. And Michael had this idea for some reason, and that I was going to have to try to get an ox across a river.
Speaker 2: In the mud.
Speaker 1: I don't know why he had this idea, but he did, and I was like, yeah, let's do it. And then I would have to take Charlotte would have to take a train back to Beijing or whatever to get her flight back, and she would feel seasick on the train or you know, like motion sickness, and it would turn out that she was pregnant, and that's how she would find out that she was pregnant with Rose, who then eventually changes into Rock.
Speaker 2: That was how the storyline was going to go down. Now. I don't know if he ever asked Newline if we could go film in China.
Speaker 1: I have no idea how far he got with the storyline, but I did think it was really, really fun and I so desperately wanted to do it, and I was sad that we didn't get to do it, but we got to do other very cool storylines in our movies.
Speaker 2: So it all worked out.
Speaker 1: But in my mind it's almost like I did get to do it, or like Charlotte did get to do it, because I have a very very vivid image of what he described to me. Okay, this is a weird question. I'm not gonna be able to answer it, but let's talk about it. When and where were you when you got the news that the first movie was being made? Okay, I have no idea. But the thing about these things is that it's never just one call. You know. There's always such a process that involves so many people, all of our agents, HBO, Slash, new Line, Michael Patrick, Sir Jessica, all of the people involved. You know, It's it's never just one phone call. It's more like I think, you know, in.
Speaker 2: Some ways, were we on hold.
Speaker 1: I think we were on hold technically speaking for a while to do the film, but it was unclear who was going to produce the film. I don't think we had new Line shored up as like how like which part of Warner Brothers would make this film. It wasn't really something that was commonly done to take a television show and make it into a film. I can't even think right now, the other ones they have done it, it's not that common. It's kind of a big deal. But we were obviously under the Warner Brothers. Bann Er HBO was owned by Warner Brothers, and you know Time Warner owned Warner Brothers at the time. Now we have a different name.
Speaker 2: Discovery.
Speaker 1: Max. I could keep going with the different names, but it's never just one call is really what I want to say? And so I have absolutely no idea, and I think it was probably a series of calls, and I think I was probably bothering Michael Patrick. Oh. Also, we had script approval, so I think at a certain point we would ask Michael Patrick like, how's the script coming?
Speaker 2: How's the script coming?
Speaker 1: You know? And then I would ask my manager like, who do you think is going to make this film? And if he'll say, oh, I talked to Toby at Newline and he's they're going to make it, I say, great, we love Toby, And you know, like that, it would go on for months, right Like the development of a project, any project takes forever, much less a project that's jumping from the screens of your actual television in your house to the movie theaters in the actual movie theaters, which is how it was in two thousand and eight when the film came out. So it was a whole long process, and I don't remember when I got the call that was actually greenlit, but I do remember just being so excited when Michael was feeling really positive, had written the script, had turned the script in New Land, liked it, we got to read it.
Speaker 2: We all liked it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That was thrilling, But I don't think, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If I really believed it until we got back to New York and got all back together and we were together on the street, you know, and then it felt real and then it was, I mean, beyond exciting, and we had this huge crowd of people who'd come to watch, and it was so much fun, you know, to be there and to get to do it and to get to keep going. And of course we're still going now within just like that, and we never thought that would happen. So it's just one of those times where you have this wish, this dream that's going to happen, and you've talked to everyone about it and everyone seems to share the dream, and you're just hoping it'll come together, and then when it does, it's a miracle. Every single time it's a miracle. So thank you guys for sending in questions and please keep them coming. We'll put up a link and ask for questions and please send them in. I love to hear what you guys are interested in, and we'll try to do another question and answer soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. Fine