Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, people fired up a little bit over the Hall of Fame. Not who got in, but one voter didn't vote for each year row, so he didn't get the perfect ballot.
Speaker 3: Mike.
Speaker 4: Only Mariano Rivera did.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program eight seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler's sitting by. You take your phone calls good morning, those watching on Peacock or if you're listening on our radio affiliates around the country. Each euro Billy Wagner CC Sabathia going into the Hall of Fame, the Bears will introduce their new head coach, Ben Johnson. I'm anxious to just see how he is answering questions. I don't think I've ever seen him interviewed, and with assistant coaches or coordinators, they don't get interviewed, and that's probably a great thing. You go to work, and you get to go to work. You don't have to deal with all the other ancillary stuff. But now Ben Johnson, does the vikings extend to their head coach Kevin O'Connell. There was talk that maybe he could be traded. Kevin O'Connell joins one other coach as the only coaches since nineteen fifty to have two thirteen win seasons in a span of three years with two different starting quarterbacks. The other coach is in a shadow of a great, great coach. The two quarterbacks are Hall of Famers Marvin George Seffert Bloop bloop bloop. George Seaford had Joe Montana and Steve Young. Kevin O'Connell had Kirk Cousins and Sam Darnold. Similar issue four Hall of Famers. Yeah, I saw a report yesterday and I tried to follow up on this, but I didn't hear back from a source.
Speaker 4: Sam Darnold and the Raiders question Mark.
Speaker 2: We talked about that maybe you're going to bring in a bridge quarterback here, and you know, I don't know what he's going to costume. Maybe you get a respectable number there for Sam Darnold and he's your quarterback with the Raiders. Raiders did lose out on Ben Johnson, and now what's planned being that'll be interesting because Brady loses out on Brabele loses out on Ben Johnson, and I say, you know he lost out on them reportedly. I know that he spent an hour with a zoom call with Ben Johnson, and I think that surprised a lot of people that Ben Johnson was going to go to the Bears. He was going to go to the Bears so stay in the division against his former team Detroit. But I think he looked at which team is ready to win or closer to win, and certainly it's the Bears. So whole question Seaton for the second hour of the program. By the way, Cowboys, Jags, Jets, Raiders, Saints still open for business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right now, for the first hour we had up there, Hall of Fame voting should be public or private? Right now? About staying firm at ninety percent? Want at public. I'm curious why people want it private. Why you wouldn't want to know?
Speaker 2: CC Sabbathia will join us in about fifteen minutes or so. Joe Thomas, Hall of Famer for the Browns, will join us a little bit later on as well. All right, So poll question for hour two.
Speaker 5: Sorry, did you want to do the one that I threw out there earlier about coaching legacy or did you say that was our three. Man, I hate waiting till our three because it's a great question. I'm going to throw it up there anyway, and why not? Okay, your options are Dan Quinn, he would obviously take a big jump off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be a bit.
Speaker 5: That would be a big, big jump after what happened against the Patriots in Atlanta. I'm going to put Andy Reid on there because even though he's got some rings, he could be if he was to get this one. He's looking at greatest of all time conversation. He's certainly getting a lot closer, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think Steve Spagnolo goes on there, Spags, Spags. He could end up becoming a Hall of Famer strictly by being a coordinator. And I don't I don't know if there's any coordinators that are in the Hall of Fame that did it because of their career as a coordinator.
Speaker 3: Didn't.
Speaker 2: The Steelers have a coordinator who went in, but he's a former player, yeah, Marv dick Lebou.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know if he went in as a player or a coach. I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: Well, No, I think the combination, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: If he went in because he was a defensive back in the NFL and then a long, long time coordinator. I don't I don't know how many coordinators have gone into the Hall of Fame, but I would think Spags is going to have to go in because he dials things up. No other defensive coordinator dials things up like Spags does.
Speaker 4: Yes, Todd not.
Speaker 6: Then it's Todd Munkin.
Speaker 7: Isn't believe about Todd Munkin.
Speaker 6: If you haven't heard any.
Speaker 2: Munking the most mentioned coordinators, Todd Munkin is up there with Spags. If Kirk Kurbstreet's doing the game, chances are Todd Munkin might get mentioned as much as the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yes, Seaton.
Speaker 5: I don't know that there's any other coaches that go on this list. Is Sean McDermott. I know he could get a ring.
Speaker 6: That's great.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like it jumps him up into like another level though necessarily or at least that's not the way things seem to be talked about now. And Nick Sirianni too, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That he has a.
Speaker 5: Luch bumping I think he could use one. Oh no, okay, everybody could use one. Everybody could use one. I just don't know how much more it really does for him necessarily.
Speaker 2: I think I think there's a coronation there, like Sean McDermott. We go, Hey, he's pretty good. But then it feels like every other year you're like, man, should they stay with Sean McDermott if he'd win a Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: I don't know, it just kind of validates. It's just like you won a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Like Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, you won a super Bowl, Sean McVay, you want a super Bowl. You're just you're in the club and you might only get to be on the ground level. Maybe you don't get to go up to the penthouse, but you're still in. And I would say Sean McDermott went Sirianni. Absolutely. I think that would be like, all right, this guy is real, like he's he is our future, because it feels like that's been kind of up and down where it's like, I don't know, do you keep him, Hey, get rid of the coordinators? Are right, they're going to keep the coach. Then he brings in really good coordinators. Now all of a sudden, Nick Sirianni's up back and he's a good coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seton.
Speaker 5: But it feels like there are some people who, no matter how well they play or how well things go, there's always the question mark, like we'll just stay in Philadelphia. Nobody's sure if Jalen Hurts is still the guy. He's still performing at a pretty high level, a super Bowl caliber level, but people are still not sure if he's the guy. There doesn't really matter what he does that there's gonna it feels like there's gonna be question marks. Okay, who could use the super Bowl more? Jalen Hurts or Nick Siriani. Boh, there you go to get it bang?
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, And with Sirianni, that doesn't mean anything for job security if he wins the super Bowl, because look at Doug Peterson, he won a super Bowl, he was out in two years. There really doesn't mean anything. It's like, oh, it's super Bowl winning coach, but he could be out in two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you could be on scholarship for a little while longer. Doug Peterson got a job in Jacksonville because he won a super Bowl in Philadelphia.
Speaker 8: But the team that you won a super Bowl with got rid of you? Who seasons after? I thought, you win a Super Bowl A, you give me at least three seasons of ineptitude?
Speaker 4: Yeah, anptitude, yes, PAULI.
Speaker 9: I was looking at Andy Reid. He's got three if he won another. Clearly I did the math. He'd be up to four before ty with Chuck Noll. But would that make him more likely to retire or more likely to stave off retirement because you're two behind Bill Belichick?
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't worry about Belichick. I'd worry about Patrick Mahomes. As long as Mahomes is Mahomes. Why would I leave right right?
Speaker 9: Some people? I saw a report that like, not a report. If Andy Reid wins a third, what a great time to get out just a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're talking about Jason Kelcey. I could see Kelsey retiring. Travis Kelcey, I could see him retire, but not Andy Reid, Like.
Speaker 4: What else are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: I don't think they're asking you do commercials when you're retired, But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Look at what you've done.
Speaker 2: I would stay. I got Mahomes, that's all I need. And I got Chris Jones.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 2: Andy sixty six, he's still got six more years.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't. I wouldn't walk away from that, No way.
Speaker 9: Yes, but it's such a cool move you walk away, well, I know, you leave a lot.
Speaker 4: It's cool until you walk away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I'm going a and I'm going to retire in three years, and then that first day after retirement, I'm gonna go, oh no, what did I just do.
Speaker 4: So it's cool until it's not cool.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this year and Andy Reid retires, do you want that job?
Speaker 4: Yes, because I still have Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I'm a year older that Patrick Mahomes. You don't have Travis Kelcey. You don't have any of the other things that made him good, and you now have to be the guy that, Okay, match those three in a row or it's a failure.
Speaker 2: And I don't have Taylor Swift. If I don't have Travis Goil, I would have Caitlyn Clark. Though I would have Caitlin Clark show.
Speaker 5: Up all of a sudden, she figured out that's chefs fanad Ink.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Chris Russo on yesterday, not realizing that Caitlin Clark is a lifelong Kansas City chief fan.
Speaker 5: You mean, for some reason, she wasn't able to automate, like instantly pull up a picture from when she was six years old in a Chief's uniform.
Speaker 2: Just had that one on stand by, Yes, yes, yes, PAULI, because that story got a lot of clicks.
Speaker 9: The Russo Caitlyn Clark on our show thing yesterday got picked up by sports media all over the world, like the Daily Mail in London. Of course that story. Of course even London were dying for that story.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course.
Speaker 2: Now, Ross Tucker ran into Caitlyn Clark at the Chiefs game last week and he said, Hey, I'm Ross Tucker.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah. She knew that he was on our show and said, tell the guys that I.
Speaker 5: Said, eloous, Yes it is, thank you, thank you to very excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah. AnyWho.
Speaker 2: A couple of phone calls in here Aiden in Utah, Hi, Aiden, what's going on today?
Speaker 3: Add?
Speaker 10: I wanted to give my take on the cheese. Right, I'm not sick of them winning. I'm annoyed of it. I'm a Broncos fan. Is annoying watching them win? Well, like what annoys me?
Speaker 3: More is.
Speaker 10: And I'm sure you don't see this because you're not on social media, but after every single win, it's it was the Chiefs and Rets versus this team, or the refs have three rings, or you know, it's all the credit goes to the referees and none of it goes to Pout Mahomes and how Raton or yes, they get help, but that's not the reason they win every single game.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they get help as much as we see every time they get help. We're watching their games because they always are. They're a marquee draw and therefore you're not watching every other game of every other team where you go, Oh, I can't believe Matthew Stafford got that call what could have been a game against Seattle, and it's not shown nationally. The Chiefs games are on nationally. It's a big deal and therefore we see this happen. Now. Do I think Patrick Mahomes flaunts the rules of protecting a quarterback? I do, but it's gamesmanship. If you can get away with it, you do until you can't. It's like James I remember Tim Hardaway would push off with his right arm and create separation. Well, they let him do it until they said, hey, you can't push off James Harden trying to take advantage of the rules.
Speaker 4: It happens.
Speaker 2: When we first saw Ginobili take the euro step, We're like, that's traveling, that's traveling. But he was able to get away with something. Now everybody comps, you know, the euro step there and mahomes Is. He knows he's going to get favorable treatment. He knows that until they change that, he'll continue to flaunt that. I do I knock him for that? Or do I knock the NFL and the officials. Do I knock Taylor Swift or the networks for showing Taylor's swift? So I think our anger is directed in the wrong, you know, in the wrong direction. It's Taylor Swift shows up. She doesn't say I'm going to show up. I need at least five on camera appearances and let me know so I can comb my hair. She can't sit in section three hundred with Jimmy Lipper and Tommy Kalamari. You can't tell me Klamari, Jimmy Skunjeal and Tommy Klamari sitting next to her.
Speaker 4: She can't do that. Yes, Todd, I think we.
Speaker 7: Should be angry at all the other teams in the NFL, namely the American Football Conference for allowing the chief seven straight years. In this era where players are bouncing back and forth and it's hard to keep guys together. How could a team seven straight years get to the AFC title game and no other team can figure out a way to stop that. That's what we should be angry.
Speaker 3: Thank you to back to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you start to beat the Chiefs, they won't be on as often. Just letting everybody know. If you beat them, then they're not playing for championships, so they're not advancing in the playoffs. That'd be a good way to keep Taylor Swift off your TV set, or Caitlin Clark or Andy Reid or Mahomes and Kelsey. It's a dynasty. We get tired of dynasties after a while. And they're not that formidable offense the way they were when they were really dynamic, they were exciting. They're boring. Now they're boringly great. You don't get style points. This isn't college football.
Speaker 4: You just win.
Speaker 2: And it's just like the Patriots, they had style points. We got Randy moss Worth scoring and then all of a sudden they got shut down on the Super Bowl, and then they had years where they were boring, boringly great, and they would win Super Bowls Kansas City. It's a dynasty. They all come to an end. But appreciate it. I'm not going to say enjoy it, but appreciate it because these things don't happen. There's only one Chicago Bulls in Michael Jordan, where we were fascinated with them. I don't think we ever. They were never out of favor. They were always interesting, they were always fascinating. Now, if Patrick Mahomes decides to play baseball like Michael did, all right, then if he says, I'm going to take a couple of years off, I'm going to let Josh Allen or Joe Burrow win a Super Bowl here and then I'll come back, I'm back.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul.
Speaker 9: It is crazy for you to say that out loud, because Michael Jordan did that at the peak of his powers. If that happened today, if you said, hey, here's something that could happen. Patrick Mahomes, the best player in the sport, is going to give it up to play baseball. And he has a baseball background, Yeah, it would.
Speaker 2: Be unless maybe he was under suspicion of gambling or something, you know, like Michael maybe.
Speaker 4: That you know, people have said that I'm distancing myself there. Todd will be like, we'll never get Jordan on now.
Speaker 6: Every time we.
Speaker 7: Make some got a negative coming out of my house is gonna affect me and doing with the ploper.
Speaker 5: What are the current odds though, of us getting Michael Jordan on the show before I retire.
Speaker 9: We're at percent. Yeah, it was twenty five percent two years.
Speaker 2: Ago, so it's sort of like a potential Hall of Famer. Correct, Like I'm getting thirty percent of the vote right now. Pauli's corresponded, let me take a break. We will get to a Hall of Famer. CC Sabbathia more phone calls coming up. We'll take a break. We're back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm.
Speaker 11: Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at a picture of the New Orleans Superdome. There's a bunch of snow there today. That's where the Super Bowl is gonna beat now granted, not playing outdoors, but uh, there's snow in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: I got all these friends.
Speaker 2: I got a friend in Savannah, friend in Atlanta, friend in Houston. They're like, we don't even have a snowplow. This is the city. Doesn't have a snowplow. I got snow. It's called a shovel. Go get one. Toughing up a little bit there. He is a former All conference tight end in high school, former Milwaukee Brewer great, and now a Hall of Famer. C. C. Sabbathia, Congratulations, thank you, thank you. What kind of tight end were you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know what? What who did you pattern your game after? In high school?
Speaker 3: I was not a blocking tight end.
Speaker 12: I was more of a I need I need at least three balls throwing my way a half before I can, you know, start blocking. My model was no rock, no block, no rock, no block.
Speaker 5: Did you think about playing in college?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 12: I really wanted to. I really wanted to play football. That was that was my first love. I really enjoyed playing football. But I but I know, like my body type. Since I would have got to college, they would have turned me into office at tackle right away. So I mean hopefully it filled. Hopefully it would have paid off. But yeah, I mean I would have loved to been been able to have a chance to go to college to play football.
Speaker 2: How many pairs of pants do you have for your playing days? I love, I'd love to get a pair of those those pants.
Speaker 12: Man, You know what, I honestly I probably have a couple of pairs. They put it, they put They put a few on my locker when I go back for spring training now, just for just for fun, I can get both legs and one and one and one leg now.
Speaker 2: But what made you go to those large, you know, baggy pants.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 12: It was just me wanting to like represent myself. You know, it was the hat being tilted sideways. When I first came up, the pants had to be super tight like that. You know, everybody were the uniform super small and super tight, and they had the lastic at the bottom. And once I got a little older and a little established in the league, I was like, I want to kind of represent how I want to look on the field. And it was the back with the big jerseys and everybody was wearing the throwback, so I adopted the big pants. I tilted my hat to the side or where the big My jersey was always my sleeves are always a lot longer than everybody else's, and it was just kind of my style. And it's a funny story about that. One time Russell Bringion when I was in Cleveland, wore my pants in Kansas City and George Brett came down and like lit him up totally.
Speaker 3: We looked like a clown, all this stuff he was.
Speaker 12: Represent to making the big game look bad and all these different things.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: It was hilarious. But yeah, I have a few pairs I can send you something.
Speaker 2: What about the hat though, when you wore the hat to the side, what kind of reaction did you get.
Speaker 12: Early in my career, not a good reaction obviously, as you know how the big leagues are with the unwritten rules, and you know, just being a young guy I was. I was twenty years old in that clubhouse when I first came up, So I was the youngest guy. The next oldest guy on that team was, you know, twenty six, twenty seven, so it was even hard to you know, for guys to relate to me. So yeah, I mean it was just my thing. It was, you know, me wearing my hat way to the side and going to grab the ball with my hand from the third basement after every out. Was just kind of what two of those things that I wanted to be mine and I was able to carry that for you know, through my career for nineteen years.
Speaker 4: Okay, but just chilting your hat to the sign.
Speaker 2: Was that something that your boys did, like guys you hung around with, Well, no, you know what.
Speaker 12: So when I when I was in high school, my high school coach, he would get on me about the way I wore my hat because scouts would show up at the field so early, so they would watch. I would always have my hat on backwards or you know, propped up on my head and you know, just walking to the park. So he would always get on me about, you know, the way I looked, the way I you know, represented myself walking, you know, with scouts walking around. So after I got drafted and you know, I felt like I was established, I was like, I'm were on my had however I want to however I want to wear it.
Speaker 4: Looks like Ken Griffy Junior when he had his hat backwards.
Speaker 5: All the baseball purists like, you're disrespecting the game.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, I mean, it's just a thing that you know, and you know, other guys started adopting. You know, Fernando Rodney came up. He was wearing his hat to the side. Don Treelle Willis came up. We're from that same you know area. We've been knowing each other forever. He was wearing his hat to the side. So it became a thing. And and uh, you know, I'm glad I stuck with it.
Speaker 3: Honestly.
Speaker 2: You' cce Sabbathia freshly minted Hall of Famer. Where were you when you got the call?
Speaker 3: I was here. I was home.
Speaker 12: You know, we we had a bunch of people over and Baseball Hall of Fame is you know, it's it's a tricky thing. You don't know if you're gonna get that call or that. So we had a big party last night. And it could have been, you know, a big party where it could have been you know, made forget TV, or you know, it made for you know, a good celebration last night. But you know, I wanted everybody around whether I got the call or not last night. It's just special being on the ballot. I know how hard it is to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame, being you know, just a sports fan in general and understanding sports.
Speaker 3: So it was a special moment for us.
Speaker 4: Did you cry?
Speaker 3: I haven't yet, but you know.
Speaker 12: Like I see different things that I get on the verge of crying and then somebody texting me or somebody calls it.
Speaker 3: I've been so busy, you.
Speaker 12: Know, with with you know, planning and you know, we're driving up the Cooperstown in an hour and all these different things. I think I haven't had a chance to really sit down and process it yet.
Speaker 4: Which it mean though, to go in first ballance it means.
Speaker 3: I mean, it means a lot.
Speaker 12: I mean, and like we like I just said, you know, understanding you know, Baseball Hall and understanding just a Hall of Fame in general. I don't think ten years ago, I don't think I'll go in as a first ballot Hall of Famer. You know, I think, you know, the way the writers have looked at the game and you know, the way the game has changed has allowed me to be a first ballot Hall of Famer, which is awesome to me. And and uh, you know now I look at you know, myself, and somebody like you know, justin Verlander, Max scherz Er, you know, Greenky. You know, we're kind of starters. You know, we're dying breed, you know. So you know, I feel like, you know, all those guys I just named the going first ballot.
Speaker 4: Too, and Kershaw as well, but.
Speaker 2: You're Kershaw too. I'm sorry, Yeah, but you're talking about that. You had thirty eight career complete games. Guys won't come close to that, and then pitching and have three thousand strikeouts and two hundred and felt like it's almost like the running back where we got to the point where we devalued the running back. Now the running back came back, but the analytics has changed everything, and I don't know how analytics may have helped you be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think, I mean, I think there'll be a lot more guys with you know, one hundred and fifty wins and three thousand strikeouts. You know, if you think, I think there'll be a lot more guys because if you look at it, the guys guys strack out two hundred and fifty and fifty guys a year now or you know, getting close to three hundred strikeout to the year just because you know, hitters don't care about striking out, so I think we'll get guys with three thousand strikeouts. I think it'll be harder to get guys to two hundred wins. And as far as analytics for me, I mean yeah, I mean I think they helped in you know, I think they helped me get into the Hall of Fame obviously, like I said, because of you know, the dying Breeders starters. But while I was playing, you know, it was hard to you know, transition to you know, this this world of analytics and you know, trying to understand that they want you to just throw your best pitch over and over and over again, where you know, I understand you need to set up you know, hitters to be able to you know, trick them with your best pitch. So you know, it was it was tough at the end of my career, you know, trying to pitch with analytics, but you know, being outsided out of the game and understanding analytics, I understand, you know, there's a need for it in the game.
Speaker 4: How did you do against each yi roll?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you know what, I honestly don't know.
Speaker 12: I bet you each year old has a good career, batting bad batting against me. Somebody told me last night that he was my thousand strikeout though, so that's pretty cool. But I got a cool story. I mean, two thousand and six, I was struggling trying to figure out I needed a putout pitch. So we're trying to figure out. I was trying to, you know, how to learn how to throw a cutter. Carl Willis and I went down to the bullpen in Oakland and he showed me a grip of how he threw his cutter. And I came out of that bullpen with like an eighty two eighty three mile an hour slider that I started throwing, and I was like, oh, this thing is nasty. I can't wait till my next start. We go from Oakland and Seattle. Next time I get into a game, I take it out there, and the first time I throw it in the game, each row hit it off the window.
Speaker 3: In my mind, I'm like, oh no, it's just easy.
Speaker 12: Like it's good because I'm getting out putt and I'm getting strikes with and I'm like, no, it's good.
Speaker 3: He comes up the next time he hits it out again.
Speaker 4: Who is the guy though that you could never figure out.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 12: Man, it was a bunch. But I think Evan Longoria was a guy that I'll be staying on the mout be like, Man, I'm just I can't.
Speaker 3: I got nothing for you but him.
Speaker 12: Manny Ramirez, you know, uh, Miguel Cabrera, you know, just those quiet, right handed hitters that uh you know see the strikes on.
Speaker 4: Well, who's going to help you with your speech?
Speaker 12: I think everybody's gonna help me with my speech, you know, I mean anybody that knows me. You know, I hate standing up in front of people and you know, kind of public speaking. So I'm gonna pull inspiration from everybody. But I want to I want to make sure I get it right. I want to make sure, you know, I get I named the right people and and uh you know, get people their just due because it wasn't just me, you know the reason why. You know, I'm going to Cooper shown as a Yankee, hopefully as a Yankee, Yes, as a Yankee.
Speaker 2: Should the ballot be made public, the writers one one person didn't vote for each your roll?
Speaker 12: Uh you know what, I don't think, So, I mean I don't I don't like you know, worrying about who didn't vote for who. I mean, it's you know, he's in the Hall of Fame now, so what difference does it make? You know, we spend so much time, you know, worried about the negative and you know why he didn't vote for eachiro. But let's talk about the three hundred and ninety five votes he did get and you know, him going to Cooperstown because he's well deserving of it. So you know, it's you know, it's just a you know, something that you know in baseball we all all worry about. In the other sports, it doesn't matter, right, it doesn't matter what present of the vote you get. Once you go in, you're in. So you know, it kind of is what it is.
Speaker 4: Best player you played with in your career was who ay Rod?
Speaker 3: Wow? That was quick?
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, why give Robbie Alamar a close second?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So what was it about a Rod that you take him over everybody else?
Speaker 12: I mean, obviously just the talent that you know, I mean, you know, six ' three, you know, third basement shortstop at the time. You know, when I when I was coming up the third basement of the time I played with him, but his baseball IQ.
Speaker 3: His IQ was off the charge, the way he watches the game, the way you said.
Speaker 12: You're sitting next to him on the bench, and you know, he'd be like, Oh, we need to hit and run here, Oh we need to double steal, or oh this team is going to do this. He watches the game at a different level than we all watched the game. And you know, having a chance to play with him and have him at third base, there'd be times when you know, a guy be coming up and he'd be like, hey, you know, throw a change up right here, this guy swinging first pitch, or you know this guy you know he may be taking right here. So he would be, you know, just watching the game and the IQ and obviously putting the talent with that. You know, he was the best player that I that I've ever got a chance to be up close to.
Speaker 4: Did you ever get to socialize with Jeter?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I'm really close with Jeter. He was actually just calling me right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, he's upset that you said a Rod over Jeter. But did you go out in New York? Like, what what was it like when Jeter was out?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 12: I mean it was It's always a lot of fun to go out with Jet and hang out with because he takes all the attention, so like I can just kind of like hang out and slide in and nobody's gonna ask autographs or pictures or anything. And he just kind of ride his coattail. So uh yeah, I mean he was he was always really cool. I mean as soon as I got here to New York, uh that first bring training, me and him, Posada, you know all the guys, we got really close, and I think that was the reason why we were able to win right away.
Speaker 2: But you didn't sit there and go, who's uh Jeter dating? Now, like who's who's that? Who's like his lineup card at Yankee Stadium?
Speaker 3: Oh no, that had nothing to do with me.
Speaker 2: But as an innocent bystander, you have to be like, h it looks like, oh that is that's a favorite famous act. Jeter is definitely gonna be calling you now hey, uh congratulations, Uh and uh, don't be afraid. Don't be afraid to a mote you know, you cry.
Speaker 4: We're right there with you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Thank you, DP all right.
Speaker 4: At c C Sabbathia.
Speaker 2: Now, if he cries, I'm going to say that he's crying for me, just because that's what you do, because I cry all the time. Hall of Famer CC Sabbathia two hundred and fifty went. When he was with Milwaukee, I think he was there for seventeen games three months. He had seventeen starts. I think he might have been eleven and two or something, eleven and two and like eight eight complete games, something like that. Seven complete games. They used him, they knew they weren't going to keep him, and it's like, hey, you're a rental. We're gonna use you until you go to the Yankees. Yes, Paulie.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Cleveland traded him in the middle of the season in two thousand and eight. He joins Milwaukee seventeen starts, eleven and two, one point six five ERA, seven complete games, three shoutouts. He averaged eight innings to start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those days are long gone, long gone. All right, we'll take a break. Phone calls coming up. Joe Thomas Brown's Hall of Famer next hour as well. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: CC Sabbathia was talking about he couldn't get Evan Longoria out. Longoria hit eight home runs off Sabbathia. He hit four to ten off of him. He had seventeen extra bases. Those were the most by any hitter against Sabbathia. There's just certain guys, like pictures will talk about like I couldn't get that guy out, and it's never the guy you think. It's always I couldn't. I couldn't figure out Mark Lemke of the Braves, and you're like, huh. They're just certain guys because I always thought that a pitcher, you're gearing up for the really good players. It's the other ones that you're not doing as much research or homework or that you know you can get them out. It's when the big time guy comes up, you forget about the other guy.
Speaker 4: Yes, Ton, Sometimes they have a.
Speaker 7: Certain adding stance that's distracting. There's all kinds of little things that sometimes make it like why would that guy be the one that you can't get out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna play in or out.
Speaker 4: You're either in or out.
Speaker 2: Danny Hurley last night was in well Danny Hurley mode, and he had a little back and forth. Maybe not a back and forth. It was just a fourth with an official during the game against Butler that went into overtime. So, Marvin Yukon apologist, can you tell us what Danny Hurley said to the official?
Speaker 8: I can't say what he said exactly paraphrasing. Okay, you know what, Paula, do you have the exact quote?
Speaker 9: The quote is? And I saw this posted quote don't turn your back on me. I'm the best coach in the blanking sport. I thought there was a joke because I saw the video clip. That's actually what he said in the moment to the right.
Speaker 2: All right, here is Danny Hurley, Yukon head coach at the press conference.
Speaker 12: Think TV got you saying something, don't turn your back on me, I'm the best coaching.
Speaker 13: Can I say that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I mean, I know we you know I'm gonna sound like it here, So you know, he just I want to I want some level of communication.
Speaker 2: You know, as long as you're winning, you're okay with this. Like Bob Knight got away with a lot of things, and then Bob Knight start stopped winning and then he didn't get away with those things. Danny Hurley is the sport and I like that there. You're either you like him or you don't like him. You know, he's he is college basketball. It used to be Bobby Hurley, uh, and then Danny Hurley. Now Bobby Hurley is Danny Hurley's big brother, because Danny Hurley is college basketball right now. Players come and go one and done's coaches stay forever turned down. The Lakers stayed at Yukon, and you could have a camera on him. Like if I was the mother Ship or Fox and I was doing a game, I would just have Hurley cam. Seaton went to the game last night. How did it look with your your your vantage point there?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, my vantage point was nowhere near. Oh you could see what the coach is doing. I was in the second to last row, all the way at the very top, often referred to as the nosebleeds, And believe it or not, I swear the guy sitting next to us had a nose breed. He left before he left before the half with his kid because he couldn't get his nose to stop bleeding. I swear, I swear, So he got a nosebleed.
Speaker 4: In the nosebleed.
Speaker 5: Was we were in the nosebleeds and he literally had a nosebleed, no joke.
Speaker 4: It was amazing.
Speaker 5: Uh. You know he part of part of Dan Hurley's quote too. It's like, I wish that they would show these other coaches losing their minds too. Nobody does it the way he does it. He does it in like almost Jim Carrey like fashion, where who's got the face and his mouth just turned upside down and you better look at me, you better look at me. People aren't doing that. It's not nearly as cartoonish as he is.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I think that's part of why the camera is on him, because it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Nick Cronin at UCLA, but he's not winning championships, so we look at him differently than we do Dan Hurley. It's like, ah, there's a method to the madness. That guy is a diabolical genius, yes, Marvin, But Mick.
Speaker 8: Crona doesn't have any redeeming qualities either. When have you ever seen him be the opposite? Like you know what, just jovial at any point.
Speaker 2: Plus throwing your players under the bus that doesn't go over well, but figuratively throwing him.
Speaker 4: Under the bus that would be bad. Yeah, not literally, literally.
Speaker 9: You can't do that.
Speaker 4: Hurley is fascinating.
Speaker 2: It's who he is, and people didn't recognize or realize that's who he was until they started winning, and then they're watching him because if he was at Wagner, I don't know if anybody's really noticing, you know, his temper, tantrums or sideline manners.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, the first time I saw him when I was working at the Mother Show. We did a game at u Are University of Rhode Island. This is exactly who he's been. He was going crazy in a game against George Mason. He was gone in Warwick, Rhode Island, going crazy.
Speaker 6: So this is all.
Speaker 8: This is who he's always been. But we're noticing it now because they're really good.
Speaker 2: And it's not because hey, I'm on TV or this is a big time opponent. This is who he is. And his dad was that way too. Bobby doesn't coach with that same kind of fire, but you know Bobby Senior that that's the way he coached Bob Hurling, he coached that way intense.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: And Danny, I mean Danny even said to us when I said, you know, why'd you turn down the Lakers, and you know, he basically said he kind of wanted he has to mature. You know, I got to mature a little bit more before I decided to do something like that. So he knows and I you know, that's why I like having him on because if I ask a question, I get an answer from him. I want to know what your wife thinks when she sees you do that? And does that conversation come up when you get it home?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 8: Mar what doesn't happen with every husband and wife? You know who you married? I think all of all of our wives have been at that moment where why is so? So I can like that I know who I'm married.
Speaker 2: You don't think that his wife is surprised. Sometimes she knows who she met.
Speaker 6: They've been together since he was at.
Speaker 4: Sea and Hall, Yeah, yeah, you don't.
Speaker 6: Think she's seen a couple of outbursts at Wagner and.
Speaker 5: You are I yeah, yeah, she's definitely not surprised by this. Uh time to play in or out.
Speaker 4: You're either in or you're out.
Speaker 9: Paul, rapid fire, Dan, Okay, the Lions are going to be fine, Todd, I'm in.
Speaker 5: Stan What what does fine mean?
Speaker 9: A serious Super Bowl contender for the next few seasons.
Speaker 4: I'm out, whoa, Marvin? I mean, I'm in.
Speaker 9: I love snowy NFL playoff games.
Speaker 4: Todd in satan out out in.
Speaker 9: It's becoming autish lately. People are not enjoying snow football when it really really matters.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to make sure that we can still see the yardage, we can see the numbers. We you know, we we have an idea that there's a football field down there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sedon, do you want to see Usain Bolt run on a clean track or on one of the covered with snow?
Speaker 9: I actually would like to see him on snow really just one time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, yeah, just one time. It's fine. You see the big slates, the snowflakes falling. Look at that. Look at seventy eight was the best one ever. And then I don't want to see that. I don't want see dudes shuffling around. They look like me trying to run. I to hate that.
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 9: Paul, here we go, Ohio States. Ryan Day should be a hotter. Oh sorry, Ryan Day should be a hotter. NFL coaching candidate Todd out setan.
Speaker 4: Out Marvin out, I'm out.
Speaker 9: Interesting a guy relatively young, wins a lot of football games, and no one throws his name around for the NFL.
Speaker 5: Was that an in?
Speaker 4: I know you or you?
Speaker 5: You haven't weighed in, but you said.
Speaker 4: The first thing you said was in Tristing, Tristing.
Speaker 5: I'm in.
Speaker 9: I don't understand it. Whether you like him or dislike him, usually success equals offers.
Speaker 4: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 9: A couple of heavies. Tom Brady has whiffed so far with the Raiders.
Speaker 6: Todd out remains to be seen.
Speaker 4: Satan.
Speaker 5: I'm not still one hundred percent sure that he's the one doing it, but he has not done well, so that means I'm in correct, right, Okay, Marvin.
Speaker 6: I'm out.
Speaker 4: I'm in. I think he wanted Ben Johnson.
Speaker 9: Last one, real fast, Dione Sanders next football job will be in college football.
Speaker 2: Todd in staying with Boulder Seaton in Marvin and his next job after Colorado, Yes out, final hour in the way.
Speaker 4: Hope you're in