Speaker 1: Warning, today's episode may contain spoilers for a several thousand year old orally transmitted story soon to be in theaters as Christopher Nolans The Odyssey, but it was you know. You can't spoil a story this long.
Speaker 2: You probably already know the story.
Speaker 1: Let's be real. Hello an Adminstration Concepcion and I'm Rosey Night and welcome back to x ray Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, at pop culture, comedy, for Myheart, Wor'll bring you three episodes we play those plus news on SAP today.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are getting you prepped for Christopher Nolan's Odyssey by diving into the history of the original story, the Falsehoods of Homer, and then we will jump into our expectations for the movie. What we expect to see, what we would love to see, what we don't expect to see. But first let's talk about it. Christopher Nolan adapting one of the greatest stories of all time, Jason the Odyssey.
Speaker 1: The Odyssey. Let's start with the facts. The Odyssey slated for release in just over a week from our recording time. Recording this on July sixth, US theatrical releases July seventeenth, twenty twenty six. However, the London world premiere is tonight or probably right now.
Speaker 3: I think it is right now, and that makes sense because I've seen a lucky few who I guess are doing the junket are seeing it tonight in la Well, all right.
Speaker 1: Now, actually runtime two hours and fifty two.
Speaker 4: It's a chunky, chunky, chunky I'm old, I'm old, Jason, I gotta go to sleep. Give you an mission, chunky chunky what man.
Speaker 1: One thing that I've been thinking watching a bunch of old movies and Criteria and elsewhere, is man. They used to just like blow movies used to just blow by hour and a half, two hours at most.
Speaker 3: I watched an incredible five, an incredible like Croatian folk horror movie the other day.
Speaker 1: Guess how long it was? One hour and four minutes.
Speaker 2: At Perfection, Left Terror cut Perfection.
Speaker 3: It was amazing. No, two hours and fifty two minutes. Christopher Nolan cobbed out. But then again, I will say rad to hear me defend Christopherola's right. But you know what, this is a story that is like so so so long that to even begin to comprehend to tell it, you're gonna need a kind of long time.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get into the It's an epic the oral tradition. This was many scholars believe this was a multi day story, you know, like you gather around the hall or whatever, and the bard would come in and start going, and then it would be break see you tomorrow and then come back for part two, part three, et cetera. Anyway, it is rated R.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: This is Christopher Nolan's first rated R film since Insomnia.
Speaker 3: Which was by the way, like twenty four years ago, which seems insane because he's not necessarily a man.
Speaker 2: You think of as like a PG. Thirteen. Yes, pal, you know, but I guess, yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: Oppenheimer didn't have the swears or the bloods, even though it had the many many deaths.
Speaker 1: Yes. And Insomnia, which which itself was a adaptation of I believe in Norway Danish question Dani film Dana question Mark, which I enjoyed, sadly, sorry, Chris, more than more than Chris's version, but still notable that Chris going back to the rated R.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it makes sense because this is again even though a lot of the kind of odyssey Greek mythology movies that we've seen were more in the family range. The story is a very bloody and violent. We've seen from the trailer that this is a war story. It's a war movie, so not surprising.
Speaker 1: And Chris has said it's because he wanted to make it very violent, much more intense. He is quoted as telling Empire, we wanted to make the most intense version with the weapons of the time. They are more brutal. Okay, the budget Roco swords, Yeah, I love that. Of course this is going to be released in Christopher Nolans. I call it Christopher Nolans Imax.
Speaker 3: I mean you can call it that now because this is the first ever full Imax feature, right that.
Speaker 1: Will be soup to nuts only Imax, no no changing screens, no ratio changing.
Speaker 2: You are gonna watch.
Speaker 3: The whole fucking thing in Imax, So you bet go find the biggest Imax possible, Okay, and it's also going to be in seven emilim It's right, they're actually doing the press screening. You can choose between seven e milimeters or Imax, and of course they will have additional large threemium large formats like.
Speaker 2: Odyssey Vision or whatever they decide.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's so it's in Imax, it's in seventy, and then it's in Imax seventy, which is crazy Imax ratios in seventy and the same kind of like high definition, high resolution film that you're ready for, but in the seventy millimeter force. So it's just like emerging of the maximum formats as well.
Speaker 3: You guys cannot even begin to comprehend how large a reel of this film is in imaxuge and how long this movie is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to see a video of that.
Speaker 3: I love when they take the projectionists take the photos out of the screen, like the projectionist was doing for Sinners, which was so incredible.
Speaker 2: I would love to see them do something like.
Speaker 3: This where they show us how long it takes to like thread the reel and everything, because yeah, I have to say, well, the thing that sold me on this was Christopher Nolan talking about his love for Imax and Imax cameras and how when he was a kid he would go and watch Imax at.
Speaker 2: The Science Museum and stuff like.
Speaker 3: So he's a ad for this in the same way we are, and I think that is what excites me even more than just like the content or the tone of the movie.
Speaker 1: Really, here's a good way to think about it is, if you ever shot a film camera, you've probably shot thirty five millimeter film, which is you'd buy it whatever the drug store. So seventy is double. Oh my god, yeah good? Cool like that about this movie. You know, it's interesting. Nolan talked about at various interviews that he was originally supposed to direct Troy What the film Troy started? I missed this law this was pre Batman Begins. Now. The problem was that Wolfgang Peterson, oh wanted Troy bat He had like dropped it. I forget like how the business worked, but he had like he had like put it forward, and then he had dropped it and then he's like, no, actually now I want it now. No, I was.
Speaker 3: And the funniest thing about it was it was because he was supposed he was supposed to do Batman Versus Superman, and it was which I would by the way, Wolfgan Pisen made never ending story.
Speaker 2: So him doing fucking like.
Speaker 1: Batman Vsus Superman sounds insane to me.
Speaker 3: And then he wanted Troy back when that was dropped and then Nolan and then he he got Troy.
Speaker 2: But then what did Nolan get?
Speaker 1: So beginning Troy then began Yes, so then Nolan gets Batman begins as kind of a consolation prize, but it began Nolan's interest. I guess you would say curiosity about this period. It's very interesting because Troy is Troy is the Iliad, and the Odyssey is you know, the story that happens after the Iliad. The Iliad is basically about the the actual Trojan War, and then the Odyssey is like, this guy needs to get home after the Trojan War, and a bunch of shit happens.
Speaker 3: Dude, this matterfucker could not go home like it is like after hours or some shit like this man can just never get home.
Speaker 2: This man is gone for the cigarettes. He's never coming back.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting to me about we'll talk about the script and the approach next. Regarding the horse, the Trojan horse, which figures prominently in the trailers, the pre trailers that were dropped, and it's just so suspenseful and magnumiseny.
Speaker 2: It looks amazing.
Speaker 1: The horse is like barely in the honesty and the Iliad, like it's and then the Iliad is the weirdest one because the Iliad is like about the war and it's not in there, which is a puzzling thing for scholars to try and figure out why that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's really interesting, I think in this specific its ration where we've got someone like Nolan who is an auteur, it's going to be really interesting to see what he does and doesn't choose, right, because there is so much here, and like you said, so we're obviously the way it is posed in the trailer that we saw and the content I saw at Cinema Con was that it was essentially Telemachus being told a story by sexy John Bunthall, who plays I don't know, Eggaman and Non or something. But and it's kind of so in that way, that's how he can kind of get around it, right, It's going to be oral stories, storytelling, and I'm really interested to see how he kind of uses that meta level to bring in stuff that nobody of this time should know, because it's going to have to pull and pick from all different places well just to kind.
Speaker 1: Of drill into it. Which, so here are the theories why the horse is barely in it. Okay, the horse is kind of mentioned in the Odyssey, but like briefly, and it's not in the Iliad at all. Now, the Iliad is about the start of the war and it doesn't cover the end, So I guess that that would be one main reason is was just not it's not part of the content. It's how the war ended, it's not how it began. And the fact that it's only like briefly mentioned in the Honesty could mean that, like, it was such a widely known story that you barely needed to like get into it.
Speaker 3: Because people we are so so I like that reading the idea of the horse.
Speaker 1: But it is interesting, right that people would yeah, and just like have it in there.
Speaker 3: It's also really funny because it's arguably the most famous part of the law, so likely, right, That's why I think Nolan had to have this kind of big focus on it.
Speaker 2: So, Jason, what can you tell us about?
Speaker 3: This is a really interesting project because there is so much pre production production material and so much pre release interviewing.
Speaker 2: That you could kind of already have a book on it.
Speaker 3: So what do we kind of know about what Nolan has all already told us about how he wrote it.
Speaker 2: How he went about adapting.
Speaker 3: This, you know, piece of writing that is written by as far as we know, you know, so many people, and it's kind of all been put together. How did he go about turning that into, you know, a script for what he's hoping will be another billion dollar movie.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, yeah, I'm sure. He well, he apparently wrote it by himself. He wrote the script by himself in a what he describes as a nonlinear way, so I guess jumping from scene to scene. That would mean He has described it as very faithful to the text, which I don't know what that means, right, how do you do that? I guess maybe in the dialogue perhaps, but we will see. And other than some notable changes, he has mentioned that the role of Odysseus is very loyal and now very old by the time this story's taking place. Dog Argos has been expanded as huge part of the hotesty.
Speaker 3: I know, I like, I like expanded how I'm like, let's let's see, it's like they're old. I'm like, this is also really funny for me because as a kid. I don't know if you guys had a version of this, but in England there were these really popular stores called Argos, like named after this dog, and it was basically like a store where you could go in and you look through a catalog and then you put in a number and they send you your thing. It was very fun, very novel. But yeah, every time I see Argos, I just think of like the most random, like high street store. But yeah, he's a good boy, and I do wonder if there was a little wink wink, nudge nudge after the crypto of it all.
Speaker 2: I feel like dogs are very in right now.
Speaker 3: Dogs are very in right now. Oh yeah, so what what were some more things they added?
Speaker 1: They there's some more connective tissue between the relationship between Odysseus and his son Telemachus, who's mainly grown up in the absence of Odysseus. But listen, if there's one thing that no one does in every movie, is there is some sort of a parent child relationship that is the beating heart of it. Whether that's you know, it's literally and the mom will be dead. Yeah, it's literally crazing a movie, whether it's you know, Inception, Interstellar, what have you. Yeah, exactly, it makes sense that he would beef this up. Telemachus in the you know, in the in the in the poetic version, is kind of watching these many many aggressive suitors to his mother, his dad's wife, whose husband is now absent for many years, have come to live at the house, and Telemachus is like, Jesus.
Speaker 2: Christ, yeah, this is like get He's like, why is it?
Speaker 3: Like my mom's just like fucking swiping ripe right on all these guys, like calms out, Okay, So I'm very interested in the fact that he has said that they've kind of expanded this like a humanized and then in quotes like unsettling yet sympathetic sessay, right, who's the witch? Jason tell us a little bit about her in the traditional version, and then I have a theory why this has been dull.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love to hear this. So Circe is a goddess who uh you know, lives in these dense woods and is you know, surrounded by these like tamed animals and Odysseus's crew kind of like lands, and she turns the crew all into pigs. But she falls in love with Odysseus. Oh, and he basically has to like one.
Speaker 3: Thousand and one nights is how manipulate yeah, he has to be like, hey, you know, like manipulate her basically into like getting out of town with.
Speaker 2: And letting him free.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's really babe. I swear to God, I'm just going to get some milk. I'll be right back. I just need my crew to turn into humans like that kind of thing I now tell uskay theory.
Speaker 3: So in twenty eighteen, and I don't know if you read this, Jason, but it was around It was a similar time to obviously Laura Olympus. There has been this kind of huge resurgence in Greek mythology retellings, and there is an incredible one called Circe by Madeline Miller that kind of retells the Odyssey through Circe's point of view. And I think that it was like it was such a huge success, and she did the Song of Achilles too, and then you know, we've had so many other kind of retellings of Greek mythology.
Speaker 2: I think that Nolan as kind.
Speaker 3: Of a student of storytelling and how storytelling kind of evolves and changes. I don't doubt that he probably understood that a lot of the previous versions of these stories had been kind of misrepresented. I mean, I might be getting my ancient law mixed up. But I think recently there was like a very famous female adaptation of the Odyssey for the first time or something right, and it was like a it was like a completely different reading.
Speaker 1: Emily Wilson, who is a classics professor at Penn in twenty seventeen, released a trans of the Odyssey. Christopher Nolan his name, checked it and said that it was part of the source material that he pulled on in order to create the movie. And her I talk about her in the omnibus coming up. But if she has like one kind of pioneering move, it's that she started from the place of this was the Odyssey. The poem itself was popular entertainment. There was nothing in there, like she points out in many interviews, like if you take Greek in college by your second year, you can read the Odyssey no problem. Like the blanguage very very plain and unfrilly and uses the same a set again and a guess for the masses. And so what she did was take the take the text, make it more clear and direct, and then change the rhythm. I forget what the rhythm of the original. Oh yeah, Greek poem was, but she then for English, she then transferred the rhythm into iambic pentaminon like Shakespeare, like Shakespeare the meters Wow English know that. Okay, I'm gonna have to read that Choices tales, Yeah, so that you could really feel how it should have a rhythm.
Speaker 3: To it like a storytelling, like a play, like a live storytelling. And and it makes it much like you know, I've read, I've read several odysses.
Speaker 1: It is. It is very accessible and very enjoyable. I don't think you lose a single thing. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely gonna read that because I I definitely came up more with Like Greek mythology was a huge deal in the UK when I was a kid. I think that's very millennial and also museums, colonialism, all that kind of stuff, But it was always like kids versions or comic book versions. I don't think I ever sat down and really and I read a lot of like kind of cheap of licensed classics, you know, your Charles Dickens and stuff, But I don't think I ever really sat down and like read a version of the Odyssey that like gripped me enough to keep reading it as a kid. So that's very exciting, and I love that Nolan is kind of he's even like quoted her, right, he's quote a translation.
Speaker 1: He's he has said in an interview quote. I think it's the Emily Wilson translation that begins tell me about a complicated man. The genius of the character, the cleverness, the inventiveness of him. That was a huge part of what interests me. Interested me. He's not just a soldier. He's an amazing strategist, a very wily person. Yeah, that really comes out in her translation, like and it might have been that, like this is the one I read as like a fully formed adult in the like you the other ones I read when I was like a younger person. But the thing that comes out, and it certainly comes out in the Circe relationship, is that he's a trickster. He's a liar. He's like lying all the time. He's lying to his men. He's lying to Circe. He's like realizes she's in love of them. He's trying to like use that get what he needs. He's and and it's you know again lying to his men all the time. Yeah, we're gonna get home we're gonna get It's like.
Speaker 3: That almost trauma, right, Like if she's making the argument that's the soap oper element, right, always deceiving, always telling stories, twists tons, It's like you need that to keep people engaged.
Speaker 1: And the and the horse in this framing was like his. It says a lot about him because he is this kind of trickster liar, a person who's can think on his feet and use his wits as much and honestly more than hell, he can use his his spears sword.
Speaker 3: That is actually such an incredible read, Jason, because something that I only found out through are incredible show notes put together by a sup producer Ian is that? So what I saw at the cinema, Colm was essentially part of the opening of the movie. That's how they have the horse in right. It's basically a prologue and it is menilaysk and he's telling Tellimachus like and he says to him, this was the part that got me excited. He goes, have you heard about the horse? And Telemachus nods and he goes, okay. He goes from the inside and smash cut and you're inside the horse, right.
Speaker 2: But I will say, as seeing that on a big screen.
Speaker 3: If that is your table setting for who Odysseus is, it's fucking crazy because it basically says this man is a deceiver. He will put his men at risk, and he will fucking slaughter one hundred people to get what he wants.
Speaker 2: Like it really sets him up. And I think that's quite.
Speaker 3: Important for Christopher Nolan's read because, as you'll see if you're on kind of you know, mythology Twitter or just movie Twitter, there's a lot of reads of Odysseus that he's just like stupid as fuck, and he's always getting lost, he's always getting distracted, he's always getting so I kind of like this.
Speaker 1: Players he but he hard. Yeah, he's like a Han solo kind of. You know.
Speaker 2: That's a cool read.
Speaker 1: I like that, is he a hero sort of? Is he a villain? Sort of? Like is he a trustworthy person? Sort of? But he's just a charmer. And that's kind of the thing that comes through in Emily Wilson's translation. Let's talk about the cast. I was gonna say, let's bang for it because it's crazy. Matt Damon, Odysseus, King of Ithaca. There he is, there, he is Baby Anne Hathaway Penelope his you know, long pining wife who's home alone.
Speaker 3: From cigarettes to come back from the show, while all these like dudes from the local like Greek hinterlands are just like swarming around.
Speaker 1: Hi, I want to marry you. What's Yeah? Tom Holland is Telemachus the Son.
Speaker 3: Could this be his big breakout non Spider Man roll. He is yet to have it, and I'm hoping it could be it for him. They shd some fun training stuff today. It looks like he's gonna get to use his Billetic influence. I hope that he gets to have it. Jason, d you think he's got the Nolan juice?
Speaker 1: I do, because he'll want he can speak in his normal voice now. And two, it's not his movie. He can just exist in this movie.
Speaker 3: And I think that's that's how people like Robert Pattinson started off. Getting out of that space was like being weird character act as, side actors, little spaces.
Speaker 1: You don't always have to be the lead. Robert Pattinson as kind of like the foil Antoninus he is. I guess some would say the most most aggressive of Penelope's paramours, like the guy who's like really just pushing for it the most. He's the guest. Yes, the variety of gods in the film, Zendaia is athenish.
Speaker 2: That for them, I had no idea that she was playing, but.
Speaker 1: Correct Charlie thron Calypso the nymph Ogigea, I like Matt.
Speaker 3: The Morton as, Oh that's crazy and I cannot wait to see it.
Speaker 1: That is bang A casting uh Lupita Niango and the one that made all the fucking terrible Homer bros. Upset Helen of Troy one.
Speaker 2: Can we just say, Jason one.
Speaker 3: First of all, obviously the Pia Neongo looks like a fucking god as show. Shut the fuck up, you wish fucking you wish, you.
Speaker 1: Wish, you motherfuckers.
Speaker 3: Second of all, Jason, can you explain why it doesn't bow what hell itive Trey looks like?
Speaker 1: Because how is she born.
Speaker 3: Just fucking born out of a swan? Right, She's like a swan's egg or some silly shit like she's not a human being.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: And second of all, and this is really I don't want to get into this because we could do this for a long time. The eighth the classical world was much it. First of all, did not have these kind of like white black perceptions of race modern a more modern frame of racing.
Speaker 2: Didn't.
Speaker 1: We didn't. Those people didn't understand the world that way. And two, it was a lot more diverse than you realize. Robert Argers, are you listening anyway? Thank you?
Speaker 2: I guess and every day of my life.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyway? Who who are the supporting costs? Because it's also crazy? John Berenthal, Men, let me tell you about the horse. Let me tell you about the horse. The horse, telebog I'm gonna shoot.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna shoot, shoot that horse, shoot the horse inside the horse goods.
Speaker 1: Benny Safty. Agamemnon, king of Mycenia, is one of the major antagonists of the Troy movie and Alia. John Leguizamo getting back into his classical bag. I think for the first time since Romeo and Juliet the nineties.
Speaker 2: Romeo and Juliet was such an iconic role for him. Let's get him back, baby do it.
Speaker 1: As Eumaeus Odysseus's faithful friend. And if I'm not, if I'm not, by the way, if I'm not pronouncing this correctly, I'm sorry, but it's a dead language and rarely said this said these I.
Speaker 3: Want to say, like I'm I want to see John Legozama. Look, we live in the time. It's twenty twenty six. We have times to complain about this any boy. But he's playing a blind guy. Do some funny blind act in if we're gonna get you doing it, just do it like just we can't complain about that anymore.
Speaker 2: Wait, I didn't know him.
Speaker 1: Ash was in this movie. Misha Patel is, you're a locus. You're a locus. Odysseus's like second in command, Mia goth Malanko, who is a maid in Penelope's household. There is there's I believe some maide murdering that goes.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, she's got summry why he's got them big eyes. I feel like she's probably gonna be a witch or some kind of adjacent to a murderer.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be surprised about that at all.
Speaker 1: Bill Irwin as Polyphemus the Cyclops, Oh, yes, who we see I believe briefly in the tree.
Speaker 3: Briefly, briefly, briefly, And actually that was something I was going to ask you about as we go into these kind of god characters. They've Nolan's kind of talked about like he wants to show the gods through like the seasons and through the sunrise and through the weather. But we are definitely going to get at least a little bit of visualization of kind of some of these more mythological aspects that we really haven't seen brought to life outside of like Troy, outside of like Noah. Honestly was probably the last time, I mean, we haven't really gotten to see since the Harry Howsen era, these kind of huge, immense beast brought together in a way at least in a big blockbuster movie by a director you've heard of.
Speaker 1: James Remar, wonderful James Remar. I always think of the Warriors. I think when I think James James Remar as Terrissius, the Blind Prophet. Elliott Page mentioned what a legend Elliott Page sign on Greek soldier and Odysseusia's cousin Travis Scott plays a bard. Love that giving me hope.
Speaker 3: Honestly, that's the kind of casting I like, that's some kind of baslav but twist right.
Speaker 1: Now, I know, very bad.
Speaker 2: Christopher Nolan, but see what happens.
Speaker 1: Another another move. The Homer Bros. Did not like for some mysterious I.
Speaker 2: Wonder why these are the two things they had a problem.
Speaker 1: With Will Young Lee as a shipmate and Jimmy Gonzalez as if he is also a shipmate. You know, I don't even want to get into Nolan defending.
Speaker 2: I don't mean nothing about that.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about should we talk about Damon's beard.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, let's talk about the beard because this is so silly in my opinion, but you know what, let's just let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, story we like.
Speaker 1: Nolan decreed no fake beards.
Speaker 3: He was like, that's going to be laughing at I'm not gonna be laughing at me with a peeling off beard like that.
Speaker 1: Laugh about that like he wanted. And I think this might be I don't know, can Holland, Can Holland scrap up like that? I'm not I don't know.
Speaker 3: Actually, that's at the point he might We're gonna probably he probably has.
Speaker 1: No burnhal we know after one day looks like looks like a bear in the woods. But apparently Damon prepared for a full year growing the beard. I don't know how that worked with other roles. He must have just not been like.
Speaker 2: Supermad causing mad problems again.
Speaker 1: And he followed a strict diet apparently no gluten, dropped to one hundred and sixty seven pounds, which you know, there's no claim of not using glp ones. But I'm all right, I'm like, I'm always you know, these days, I'm suspicious, that said Damon said to Empire. Quote. I can say with that hyperbole that it was the best experience of my career getting in that he meant the shoot and getting into this kind of shape. And I guess growing a beard for a year.
Speaker 3: Okay, calm down, all right, I just I just want to say calm down, because I like it when we have a more realistic conversation, like when you know Kamel lost all that weight and then his life was like ruined, and that him and Dennis from It's Always I mean him a Mac from It's Always Sudden, he had a real conversation like, let's not pretend it's healthy to lose weight like this for a movie. But you know what, he's almost like, he's probably like in his fifties now. It probably feels great to look like he hasn't drunk water for a week.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back after this. Ye shall we talk about the I don't want to talk about the asking controversy, neither to you, because we know what that is. But let's talk about the historical accuracy that.
Speaker 3: I would love conversation that because this is a really funny conversation and a great way to really like kind of dive in.
Speaker 1: A bit more before we start in the omnibus.
Speaker 3: So let's talk Jason, when did you first notice that this became like a big talking point.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I knew in my mind that it was kind of unavoidable that people would be annoyed by this. My only question was like, what would be the volume of the complaints? So cast your mind back to the first images released from this movie. We saw damns Odysseus and the red plumed helmet with the kind of you know, the Corinthian styling, and the big feathers going over the top. That drew criticism from the historical accuracy.
Speaker 3: They didn't like the metal the back with the kind of like it looked like a spine.
Speaker 2: I thought it was pretty sick.
Speaker 1: Other criticisms revolved around the American accents rather than British for Greek? Why would why would British be better as the other.
Speaker 3: Because they that's just what people are used to because of colonialism. Oh guys, you don't have to do that, Like yeah, that's like just because that's what the voices used to be, like in Lawrence of Arabia or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like that's not what No, Yeah, why would British be more accurate? Is very funny to me.
Speaker 3: Well, it's always about what they and what they really mean is like how can I make this more palatable? To me? It's never to do with the actual historical accuracy because none of the people would have looked like this, Like no one would be speaking a language you could understand.
Speaker 2: There's no cameras, Like, do you really want to get into it?
Speaker 1: Guys, it's going to get silly. There was criticism around Agamemnon's black armor, which was against seness not not historically accurate, which I think is again very silly, and some commentators have noted that the film is largely without Greek people. Where is the Greek representation is filmed?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I mean this is like the discourse cycle of the world is so wild, but it's also funny if you've ever been to like a museum, and obviously, as I grew up in London, which is the dark heart of colonialism, I've been to many museums, but that you actually see that there is not one version of what any of this stuff looks like like.
Speaker 1: When you go to these museums, you're blown away.
Speaker 3: By the craftsmanship and the diversity of looks and vibes and styles and weaponry and armor.
Speaker 2: So also the idea that any one person on the internet is like the soul.
Speaker 3: Soothsayer of what is or isn't historically accurate is also like completely wild. When Jason, you've been on a movie set, right, think about how many people it takes to make a movie.
Speaker 2: It's like a miracle, right.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I don't think any one guy on the internet is putting more thought into this than you know. However, many different people are thinking about how fucking cool this thing.
Speaker 1: Looks do we Okay, let me ask you, do you care about historical accuracy in a story like this. I think that there are certain stories that of course you would love it to be as accurate as possible, especially when you are depicting real life events. Now, there really was a Trojan war, but like how it happened, and this.
Speaker 2: Is high issue.
Speaker 1: It is clearly shrouded in mystery through the fog of time. Was there a horse?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I think many scholars really really doubt it. So the idea that you would need to be like down to the nails and the fag is really silly to.
Speaker 3: I think, specifically with this story or any story from Greek mythology that is like telling someone to be historically accurate about the x men. I'm sorry, guys, like that was just not a cyclops back then, Like that wasn't so Like it's just these are just no witches, no witches like I wish that were. And maybe I'm wrong, like fucking you know, smite me. But like this is a fantastical, allegorical story where they are setting the truths of the time against a story that entertained people, that kept people engaged, that made people have conversations, that was about you know, abandonment and family and love and life. It's like, this is not the kind of this is not a story where if you change how you perceive in your mind something that by the way is barely ever described.
Speaker 2: Like there are characters in these stories who.
Speaker 3: Like shape shift, there are characters in these stories who change beings.
Speaker 2: There's like, it's not a story.
Speaker 3: There's no historical accuracy that is important here other than something that people have like contemporarily put on top of it.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is.
Speaker 3: They they like to be like, well, I perceive it as like all blonde, white guys with helmets that look like this, because you saw Troy like you didn't read a book and know that.
Speaker 1: That's more.
Speaker 2: It's the same with the Viking thing.
Speaker 3: That's why we dragged and why we don't stop putting his name in our mouths, because like it is not representative of any kind of truth that like any part of London or any part of Viking, well, the Viking world or even this Grecian world would be all white. It just doesn't make any sense because of the way trade routes worked, because of the way that the fucking economy worked.
Speaker 2: It's just it's it's illogical.
Speaker 3: It's an excuse to make something look a certain way without having the bulls to say, hey, I just want to only cast these type of people. That's how I feel about it, and I actually was surprised that Nolan did not go that route, So I am not going to be angry at him secondarily.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of you know, there's a lot of there's a lot of arguing about this from a scholarly angle. How much did contemporary Greek audiences like believe in witches and cyclopses and sea monsters as appear in the in the Odyssey, And you know, there's a lot of scholarship that goes both ways. They believe, they believe to a certain scent. I'll just say this, though the technology of you know, five hundred BCE was obviously much different, they were just as smart on a purely like biological level, brain power wise. Yeah, they were just as smart as us. Those people, And I think that there would have been a range of understanding about the magical, fantastical elements that appear in the story that probably vary from like kids and others who like totally believe that, you know, as Psyclops exists and there's a witch that can turn men into pigs, and others who understand as we understand when we go to see a sci fi movie or read a fantasy book, that these are entertaining elements that perhaps have a grain of truth, but are built up in order to wow the audience.
Speaker 2: And look, I'm gonna say as well as somebody who.
Speaker 3: Is you know, I will bring up one of my favorite stories here that I always bring up in these kind of things.
Speaker 2: But it's like I was very lucky to take a one day comic book.
Speaker 3: Writing class with Mike Carey years and years ago in London, and he said, you know, if somebody found every single issue of The X Men, like every single issue one hundred and fifty years from now, they would think there was at least some truth to it, right, and they would probably believe that some people felt like these stories were true, even if we know that that's not how we read them. It's the same way that like religions could be looked at that way, right. There are different types of epic storytelling, and I think this is in that kind of tradition, whether you believe it to be fictional or relatively realistic or allegorical. And that's why I don't think it needs to be historically accurate as telling like a true story that was told one hundred years ago about a real person whose legacy could be erased if you didn't tell it properly.
Speaker 1: And I will add, as we will see in the Omnibus these this poem was meant to be performed live.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Widely thought that each bard put their own personal, improvisational spin on the events, particularly when you know you're dealing with different audiences. Maybe certain things are resonating more or certain things are resonating less, and it's it's you know, widely thought that each bard would respond to those situations and build out certain parts of the story or pair back certain parts of the story that aren't weren't resonating as much. And so this was like a living, breathing story. And I think that Nolan is just doing the same thing that the Bards did back in the day, which is putting his taking the essential parts telling that story, but also putting his own spin on it, like you know, here's what happened inside the horse, like that's yeah, we're exactly nowhere in the Odyssey. And by the way, it's very interesting to me, that's not anything anybody complains about that is.
Speaker 3: That funny that you mentioned that like at the top that it's no one can changes and not a single person. I mean, no one complains about the fact that literally, like I've seen the scene.
Speaker 1: It's black people's bang ha, it's black people cast in the movie. That's all they care about. Others, you know, like other Oh the helmets still look like that, but nobody cares that. Like this entire sequence doesn't exist in the original poem, but now it's.
Speaker 2: It's to life visually.
Speaker 3: And I say this as a compliment, but it's like fucking John Wick, like it is not historically accurate.
Speaker 1: Guys, I've seen it.
Speaker 3: It's stunning and it made me want to watch the movie in a way I had not before. But it's also like so far from any kind of historical accuracy.
Speaker 2: But anyway, let's go to a break, and when we're back.
Speaker 3: Jason will be bringing you an unbelievable fumnibus about the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, am I back.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another edition of the Omnibus where Laura analysis is an understanding come together. Today we're talking about the Odyssey. So here's the thing about Homer is he didn't exist. We're not sure he may have existed, but he probably didn't. And I mean that in a very unsettling and kind of like deep way. There may have been no Homer, there may have been ten Homers. The name that we've built, and that is the kind of bedrock of this Nolan blockbuster that is about to come out might be less a person than a placeholder for a group of people, a hook we hang three thousand years of history on, because the real answer is like a much more diffuse, unsatisfying, an organic answer that gets to the heart of what story is about, no matter what medium they appear. Scholars call it the Homeric question, and it's really a kind of like an entire nesting doll of questions. Who was home? Did he? And most of the scholars think that these bards were men for various reasons. There are also objections to that. But did he write these poems? Did he write either of Did he write the Iliad and the Honesty one or the other? Or both? And if he wrote one, did the same person write the other? When? Did he do this? How? And the reason these questions won't die is because we just we don't have a good answer. When you actually break down the text, and this is how scholars have arrived at some sort of an answer, you find that the poem is built on a lot of repetition. You get the same phrases over and over, locked into the same kind of rhythmic slots. Dawn is always rosy fingered dawn. The sea is always the one dark sea, always, not like for a lot of the time, not when it's convenient, like always. And this is because rosy finger dawn wind dark sea in the original Greek fill a precise metrical space, like a lego brick. It snaps specifically into the spot that the bard wanted to place it in, and it allows the teller to be able to assemble these like little prefabricated lines, and always be able to go back to like this rhythm. Scholars call these formulas, and the formulas tell us a lot about the way the Odyssey was meant to be taken in by its audience. And this is the real breakthrough. It belongs to an American classicist named Milman Perry. Milman Perry, and what Perry understood was that the formulas were the essential building blocks their technology the story. They're the tools that let an oral poet performing live with no notes, no text, compose the poem in the act of speaking it right. You need a hero's name that fills up the end of the line. Here's the ready made lego brick you need to get the sun up rosy fingered. You're ready with it, and it allows you to catch your breath and get ready for the next line. Move on. The formulas are like the scaffolding of this improvised story, a toolkit that allows the bard to build castles outlied in real time in front of a crowd and never drop a beat. That's the other thing made these performances so incredible is they must have been extemporaneous. It felt like just coming out of the person without any hitches in them. That's what made these people worth listening to. Milman Perry traveled to Yugoslavia was then called Yugoslavia, into the Balkans, the mountains of the Balkans, where at that time there were still singers performing enormous heroic epics strictly from memory, you know, the kind of last living in the West, cousins of Homer's art, and Perry recorded them hundreds of hours of these things. He found a singer named Avdo Mededovich who performed a song that ran about thirteen thousand lines over five days, so roughly the length of the Odyssey itself, which, as we said earlier in the episode, is a multi day performance. Parry wrote that listening to him, one has quote the overwhelming sense that in some way he is hearing Homer. Perry ended up dying under mysterious circumstances. He apparently shot himself while cleaning his gun in a Los Angeles hotel room. He was thirty five. There's a lot of conjecture about that, but that's what appears to have happened. Excuse me, he's thirty three. His student, Albert Lord, picked up the work and spent the next several decades basically building out what Perry had established, and he writes a book called The Singer of Tales that puts all these ideas into print. This was published in nineteen sixty and Lord's crucial edition is A singer in an oral culture doesn't memorize a fixed text. There's no fixed text. This is what we were talking about earlier in our discussion. Every performance is essentially a new composition. The bard reshapes the story every single time they tell it, tightening here, expanding here, making this part more resonant. Again, If the audience is really loving the pig stuff. Maybe we should build out the pig stuff, which means the Homer air quotes, Homer, who gave us the Odyssey, wasn't transcribing some original antique text. He was doing what every singer before him did them did, borrowing the inheritance and making it their own. If the poem was sung and resung and reshaped across generations before anyone wrote any of it down, then behind the name Homer stands, you know, an unknown crowd of storytellers, an entire lineage of singers. The Greeks called these people aodo i. I can't say it ao idi is how it's spelled. And these are the bards that whose lineage stretches, you know, into the dark, dark centuries before Greek literacy, each one inheriting the story and adding to it, etc. Etc. Again, we mostly assume that these are men. The scholars do anyway, though Emily Wilson would want to flag that they don't actually know that, and that's correct. We should add that the poets who actually built the Odyssey, who invented the cyclops and shape Penelope and found the line about her face melting like snow, are gone. But Homer is the name that we kind of calm. So that's what Homer is. It's not an author, it's it's a memorial to an forgotten group of storytellers who we will never know. Could there have been one Homer right who wrote both of these and you know, like an original three thousand years ago, George Lucas who created like a Star Wars type story and that everybody and it inspired these other bards to like memorize it, and they loved us so much. Maybe it's it's it's possible. Most classicists today think that the poems depend on generation's old oral tradition, which were the collective inheritance of many many, many singer poets that got standardized and refined out like the older were boring, less fun material got filtered out over time, and this probably started around the eighth century BC. So maybe Homer is like the last If there is such a person, like the last great Bard who inherited these stories and made them more entertaining than the others, you know, that's the romantic version, I guess. But I think the way I think about it is there was not one person. There was many, many, many people in this this this unfolded over many decades now, for almost the entire history of the Odyssey in English, some sixty translations, four hundred years of translations Chapman, Pope, Latimore, Fagels, Lombario, et cetera. Every single one of these in English was done by a man until in twenty seventeen Emily Wilson, classicist at Pen, released the first complete English translation of the Odyssey by a woman. Now, Wilson kept Homer's exact line count twelve and ten lines matched in line for line, which is a crazy, crazy discipline. But as we mentioned before, she threw out the Greek dicitic dysilic hexameter wild cyclic hexameter, which doesn't you know just saying it is weird, and rebuilt the whole thing, as we discussed in Iambic pentamona of the meter of Shakespeare are built in in keats the natural music of English verse, so that it really really moves. When Wilson's translation of the Odyssey appeared in twenty seventeen, the Homer rows, we, of course angry about the way she changed it, and probably angry that you know that she was a woman, although they wouldn't say that. Here is what Wilson said in a recent Q and a with Vulture, which I urge you to read, and just fantastic. She's so freaking cool. Yeah, she was asked about this kind of uproar about her version quote. It's a stand in for a whole lot of made up of culture war things. The people who are getting angry haven't spent years studying Homeric Greek. There are people who have conspiratorial ideas about how professionals don't know anything. Here's this Ivy League professor. She's obviously she obviously doesn't know as much as me and I did my own research. That's one element of the culture war. There's a a lot of anxiety about gender, recent whiteness tied to the discourse about greatness. I don't think any of that has anything to do with me, but somehow people have latched on to this. It's a great interview and her two translations are awesome. The Obviously comes out July sixteenth. On the next episode of xtra Vision, we're diving into news and more, House of the Dragon and X y ninety seven. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Whoo.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jasoncepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wax.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman
Speaker 2: And Heidi Our discord moderate Thom