Speaker 1: The same with Cardinals are en route to Arlington, Texas for a three game nder League series against the Rangers, So naturally we have to bring on everyone's favorite person to the show. Skip Schumacher, Welcome the Cardinals territory. I'm thrilled to have you. How are you?
Speaker 2: I am great.
Speaker 3: Everyone's favorite person's a tough that's a tough intro, but thank you all.
Speaker 2: I'll try to try to take that one. But I'm excited to be on with you, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. It's always great. I know when I always put out little feelers on which guest do we want coming up here the series. Here are some you know, favorite former Cardinals, and naturally you're on the top of the list. So we just give the people what they want here. What can I say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so, So.
Speaker 1: We'll just start a little bit about you know why we're talking in the first place. Over the off season, for those of you who missed it, Skip joined the Texas Rangers as a special advisor to President at Baseball Operations, Chris Young. It's a new organization for you. Skip. What do you like about the Rangers so far?
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't know what was going to happen at the end of the season, you know, with my situation in Miami and trying to figure out the next steps and not to jump to anything into anything too quickly. I just wanted to be in a really good situation around really good people. And see Why is at the top of the list. He reached out right away. I've known see Why for a number of years now, played against him. I played against Sea Why in high school at eighteen years old, so I've known see.
Speaker 2: Why a long time.
Speaker 3: And then obviously the people that he has around him, Dayton Moore, Michael Young, Ian Kinsler, like all the people that I've Nick Hunley, that I've been around for a long time are in that group. And I get to learn from grow with, and that was the main thing. And by the way, I get to learn from a Hall of Fame Bruce Bochie is pretty special for me. So it just all kind of worked out, and really grateful for that. Also, my son is going to TCU, so it's like twenty five minutes away in a couple of years, so I'm just very grateful for this opportunity.
Speaker 1: Have you learned anything about the Rangers so far? This year? I'm going to have this episode double as a very brief Cardinals Rangers preview. Is I'm still figuring out what exactly the Rangers are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, first of all, they're pitching has been so good. They're starting pitching with the healthy Jacob de Gram.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's a unicorn.
Speaker 3: He is when healthy, one of the best pitchers still in the major leagues.
Speaker 2: In Valdi, I didn't realize how good Evo was.
Speaker 3: You know, you you kind of advanced teams when you go in to play them and you only get three game series maybe see him five or six times a year. I didn't realize what type of leadership he had, you know, in that clubhouse, the stuff he had, this real true ace mentality that he has. And then obviously, you know you're looking at the offense and you know, we've struggled a little bit this year, been kind of these peaks and valleys, and you're waiting for these guys to get going and unfortunately how to make a few moves during the season. But I think, you know, seekers coming back here in a few days, which it's going to be huge.
Speaker 2: You need aircraft carriers. You've heard that before, and he is that guy.
Speaker 3: He's a guy that can just put a team on his shoulders and you know, roll off a number of wins and go into these eight, nine, ten game winning streaks, which you know we're going to have to.
Speaker 2: Get to to get back to where we want to be.
Speaker 3: But when you have a leader in Bruce Bochie, he's seen it all and is forty plus years in the big leagues, So I think there's a lot of stability in that organization, and I think there's it's only a matter of time before these guys get hot again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it'll be a good matchup for the Cardinals, who I'm you know you follow along. How could you not so many of your friends are on the coaching staff, and also I know you just have a an appreciation for the organization. But for Saint Louis coming in after their series against Baltimore, I mean, this is a team that's played the best defense in baseball, So I wonder how that, combined with the Rangers lack of offense is going to vote for Texas's bats, and they've been pitching. The Cardinals have really well. We've talked about on this show the sustainability of it, whether or not it can last throughout the entirety of a season. But right now those guys are throwing the ball well and they're executing, so we'll see. I think the Cardinals are one of the surprise teams in baseball so far. I know, coming into the season, my personal expectations were rather low. If you've watched the earlier episodes of Cardinal Territory, specifically the spring training vibes. I wouldn't say I with the most bought in person on the active roster, but they've done a very very nice job of turning things around. What do you make of the Cardinals this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, first of all, to your earlier point, the defense. Texas has a really good defense too, So they remind me a lot of each other right now as far as like the defense and what they valuate their values of, like pitching in defense.
Speaker 2: The Cardinals, I think.
Speaker 3: It started with Nolan Ornado showing up to spring training and just being that dude and not making it a distraction, letting the media and the teammates know, like, I'm here, I'm ready to win, let's go.
Speaker 2: Whatever happened in season happened.
Speaker 3: But I think it starts with him and him having the ability to say I'm a Saint Louis Cardinal. There's a tradition here. I'm still want I still think we can win. And then him going to the front office or all even saying I'm willing to hit six just shows you where he's at in his career and that winning is the most important part of his day, which just you know, it's not surprising to me knowing Nolan for so long, but I think it's just been really cool to watch his maturation throughout the years. Olie Marmle's done a fantastic job with that club. I think I've had Brent Brown as my hitting coach. He is phenomenal at game planning and getting the buy in that you know those guys need. We know who John I know who John Jay is and Descalzo obviously there's some street cred where they know what winning looks like in that clubhouse, and you know, those young players can go to them with just about anything because they've seen it all. And I think when you have a staff like that, it just goes a long way and they have fun. There's accountability, there's stability now and I think not enough. I know you probably have talked about I know you have. But Brendon Donovan is an absolute stud and it's somebody that you've mentioned, Katie.
Speaker 2: I've watched you speak because I think you're really good.
Speaker 3: I think he is somebody that you can really build around, and that is a franchise type of player. He's a cardinal type of player who plays the game right. You know what you're going to get every single bat, first, left, first, right, middle of the infield, he can play the outfield. He's just a special player that, like everybody can look too younger player, older player, like that's how you should play the game.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that up about Brendan Donovan in particular, because he reminds me of the type of player that would have thrived on your Cardinals teams when you and Scalt and j were there in the twenty tens. Because he is so gritty. I've said this before on the show. He's like your textbook Saint Louis cardinal in terms of, you know, he wants to play every day. You can play him everywhere, and he's more than serviceable no matter where you put him offensively, in defensively. And coming into the season, Donnie was one of those guys that was kind of caught in between from an identity standpoint. He wasn't an established veteran with the club, but he was a little too old to be in the I don't know, we're not supposed to say rebuild, but the transition part of the club. They knew that they were going to count on him for the future, but they just didn't know to what extent. And instead of being confused or unsure about his identity, I think Donnie just came in and said, well, I'm just going to play and make sure they know exactly what they have in me and what we're seeing after the first fifty games or so was you're seeing exactly what you said someone the organization can build around in the future.
Speaker 2: He's exactly what you're looking for in a winning team.
Speaker 3: And you know, whatever they wanted to say, you know, they wanted the younger guys to play, or the rebuild or whatever transition period they were in, it doesn't matter what phase you're in in an organization. You want Brendan Donovan on your team because he knows what the work should look like. During batting practice, you see him, he'll put a screen in front of first base if he's not hitting the bag right and just rep and rep it and rep it. Just these little things, these little details that he cares so much about, that like win the margins.
Speaker 2: And when you have a team that doesn't have.
Speaker 3: These like you know, Aaron Judge or Showhey or these like incredible superstars, but you just have some really good talented players that are trying to find their way. But you also have a Nolan Ernando who's going to be a Hall of Famer, Like, how do you win the margins? And you have guys like Brendan Donovan That's how you do it. And my guess is Brendan Donovan, now at his whatever third fourth year in the league, is probably telling these young guys, no, you hit the bag with the right foot, or now this is how you take your secondary leader.
Speaker 2: No, you should be taking early VP.
Speaker 3: I think he's probably got that in him now and he's always had it before.
Speaker 2: But you're right, he's not like, you know, this ten year vet. He's not this rookie.
Speaker 3: But I think he's so respected that I'm guessing he commands some of that in the room. And again, it just goes back to that coaching staff, the coaching staff has been really good in developing these guys.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 3: He has been a developer his whole career and it's just a testament to what he's done with that club as well.
Speaker 1: Perfect segue to our next section. I would really like to talk about the coaching staff, because, like you mentioned, you are familiar with so many of them. But before we get to that, we've got to take our first ad read of the day. So let's hear from Spot and Tango very quickly.
Speaker 4: Krats, my pup was picky, not anymore with Spot Entango unkibble, and it is about forty percent less expensive than frozen food, so we're saving in the wallet and we're making our pups happier.
Speaker 2: Let's go apples to apples.
Speaker 5: I'm not cheap, but I don't want to waste my money on something that's good for my dog.
Speaker 4: This is perfect. Yeah, they are very excited, both Bella crats Is pup and Penelope my little pup. For Spot en Tango, you can get your pup excited too, and there's no more guessing how much to feed your dog either. Spot and Tango creates a custom plan based on your dog's age, weight, breed, and activity level. It's a nice little survey. So upgrade your pets bowl with spotan Tango un kibble for a limited time. Go to spotantango dot com slash foul use code foul to get fifty percent off your first order. That's spot in tango dot com slash foul code foul for fifty percent off your first order spotantango dot com slash foul code foul.
Speaker 1: I love that Scott has like the world's smallest dog, so fitting for him.
Speaker 2: I wasn't gonna say anything, but yeah, So.
Speaker 1: Let's from an over arching view. You know so many of these Cardinals coaches, not just from playing time or from your time on the Cardinals staff, but an or for your time in Miami really that I feel like you were one of the best people to talk to about just what they've accomplished. And we'll start with Ali Marmel. You were s Benge coach in twenty twenty two and lots to like about what happened in twenty twenty two, except of course the very end of the season. But that was always first year as a manager, and you guys were just kind of in it together and figuring it out. How have you seen him grow from year one to year four. Now and why do you think he had he's seeing the success that he is right now.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you're always, you know, each year you learned something either from your experience, your coaching staff, former guys you know, or different players. I think he's he's grown into a manager that who he really.
Speaker 2: Wants to be.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I had him his rookie year. You know, we were I was learning Ali, he was learning me, and we kind of grew into this like really good friendship and uh that I'll you know, I'll be friends with Ali forever just because of how much I respect him. I think, you know, as a former manager, you always look back and think about how you could have done things better, whether it was you know, how you're getting guys better, how you're talking to him as a group in the clubhouse, how you're reacting to media. All these things you're learning as you grow, uh into the manager you're trying to become.
Speaker 2: And he's he's gotten to the playoffs, he's.
Speaker 3: Taken young teams, you know, to places where a lot of media members didn't think they would get to so far, and it's been it's been really fun to see him also acquire the staff that he thinks is ready to take this group to the next level. In my opinion, you have to have a really good coaching staff to cover your blind spots because you don't know everything about the game. I feel like you should hire the expert in hitting, and the expert in pitching, and the expert and infield play because you don't know everything. It's impossible to know everything. And I think he's done a really good job of acquiring the experts in a lot of these areas in the game, and it's really helped them take that that that organization to the next level. You know, Stubby Clapp is one of the better infield guys in the league. Knows base running. Him and Pop Warner can dissect the pitcher as good as anybody. And obviously I've talked about you to you about Brent Brown and what I think of him and what he did for us in twenty twenty three in Miami. You know he is, He's relentless. He gets guys to buy in. So there's a I could tell all day about. You know a lot of those guys on staff, but I think they're in a good place. They're in a really good place, And I'm just happy for Ali because you know this was I'm guessing haven't talked to him about it, but like a lighter off season for them with the whole Aeronauto thing, you know, you know, hanging over the off season and hanging over his head most likely, and then to get him to like become like bought in is pretty pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: So I'm happy where he's at.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know firsthand what it's like to come in as a manager and take a club that people had relatively low expectations for and guide them to success. I mean, you were the twenty twenty three mL Manager of the Year with Miami for a reason, and you took a young, inexperienced ball club and made them playoff contenders. Can you see this Cardinals coaching staff doing that same thing this year?
Speaker 3: I can, because I mean you think about who's on that staff. Daniel descalzos on a winning person. First of all, he's a really good person, but he's one in Arizona. He's one a Saint Louis as a player. John Jay has one as a coach. He's one as a player. Brent Brown has one as a coach, one as a player. So you think about all these guys that through their experiences with young teams and really and veteran teams, they've they've seen it all. So you can only go back on what you've experienced. And I've said this before, I only know everything I know is because I've learned it from somebody, and they have been in. Brent Brown and the Dodgers organization learned a ton I'm assuming, oh, I know that for a fact. But he's also really good about with his own ideas, and Olie Marvel has been in this organization a long time, but they also, in my opinion, got guys from other organizations finally that were I can give you new ideas and implement them and then take this place to it to the next level. And I think that's where John Jay has been really beneficial and Brent Brown's been really beneficial, and obviously Scalzo, you know, seeing what Arizona has been doing for a number of years. I think when you see all that coming together, this is what you get.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit about John Jay because a big talk about this Cardinals team, like we talked about earlier, has been the defense, specifically the outfield defense and when you ask the players, when you ask Ollie, it's easy to see just how much the outfielders have bought into the John Jay school of outfielding. Really, and we'll start with Lars Neubar, who was never a bad outfielder by any means. He was above league average, but he's managed to take significant strides forward. Going to what I think, you know, one of the most effective left fielders in the National League, Victor Scott the second always had the talent, you always had the raw ability, but his John Jay's ability to unlock something with Victor to turn him into the next level of center fielder, a Gold Glove caliber center fielder after less than a year in the major leagues, is super impressive. And then, of course, what has been going on with Jordan Walker to take from where Jordan was in the last couple of years offensively and to bring him to league average, and to see the everyday improvement, whether that's first step, whether that's sprint speed, whether it's the read off the bat. The Cardinals have one of the better outfields in baseball one because of the work the players have put in. But they're not buying in unless they believe in their coach with that messaging. You've known John Jay Fair a very long time. He was part of your staff in Miami, longtime teammate of yours. I know you're not surprised about the results here, but what makes John Jay so effective as an outfield coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, first of all, we talked about Brendan Donovan being so good and someone you can build around.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Lars Newbar.
Speaker 3: I was so impressed with the year I had with watching Lars new Bar in that clubhouse and getting guys better.
Speaker 2: And he wants he himself wants to be great.
Speaker 3: And when you have that quality and then you implement a John Jay and like I can make you great, I want to be great.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: That's where you know you get from good players to great players. And I think Lars Newbar can be a great player in this league for.
Speaker 2: A long time.
Speaker 3: You don't see many outfield coaches actually take reps in the outfield with the players. Right is taking three groups of reps of shagging getting these guys to show exactly how it should look like with the first step where the positioning should be, the routes to a ball, because he's actually taking the flight balls with them, which you just don't see in today's game. It's a lot of like here, put in the machine, shoot it and go get the ball, where John's like having somebody else do it, and he's repping it with them and talking it through him and the reasons why. And I think he's, uh, he's really good for the veteran guy. I guess, I don't know, I guess large as the veteran guy yet, but but the older of that, I guess that group of you know, compared to the other guys that are on uh, in that outfield. But he's really good at teaching it and simplifying it and having like the message be simple. And when you can have simple messaging that these guys can relate to.
Speaker 2: It just goes a long way.
Speaker 3: And I think that John Jay Uh, you know, he's good in anything that you give him, Like he could be really good at base running, and he could be really good at you know, whatever you give him, he's gonna dominate in because he's an all in type of guy. He's like obsessive, Like you see him probably skateboarding all the time, like I'm gonna just try skateboarding. And then he's just like gonna be obsessed with it and like try to dominate that. Whatever it is, he's gonna try to be great at it. And what's great about John is like I had him a few years ago. He never coached before, and I just like, all right, you're gonna be the first base coach. You're gonna be like you have to like figure out these tips and tails and oh, by the way, you got to make Jazz a center fielder that he does not really want to be.
Speaker 2: A center fielder.
Speaker 3: Good luck, okay, And so like he took him and was like, right away off season, I'm going to I'm grabbing Jazz. We're gonna be in Florida together, and before we even go and even start spring training, we're gonna build a foundation. We're gonna build a relationship first and then set a foundation. So we get into spring training, he knows exactly what I think he should be doing instead of like being day one, Okay, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 2: He did the same thing in Saint Louis.
Speaker 3: He got there in spring training before spring training, got these guys together, and I think, you know, John holds guys accountable.
Speaker 2: He's tough. But again, it's the simple messaging that I think goes a long way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're spot on. That sounds exactly what Victor Scott and Jordan Walker went through before spring training, and you could see it from day one that they were different outfielders. They weren't starting from day one. Their day one was weeks ago. And it's funny what you say about that Jay Shaggan in the outfield because a couple of weeks ago, I've been around these guys enough for even if I'm standing by the dugout, I can basically tell who's who in the outfield by their body mannerisms, how they're running. And I was like, who is this guy flying all over the place and wearing a hoodie when it's seventy degrees beanie on up against the wall and I'm looking close to I'm like, that's John Jay. And I just fell out laughing because it was so funny to see him still look like he was a player out there, just going out and taking routes. But I think you're right. I think guys really respond to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, to make fun of him wearing a hood it was like in.
Speaker 3: Saint Louis, it was one hundred degrees and he's shagging with the hood on. But he would wear this like hood and it would only see like his eyes were the only thing peeking out. And it's because he wanted to be locked in without any distraction, so he could focus on the hitter and nothing else. So he was zero zeroing in on the ball and the bat, the ball hitting off the bat, and so he would do that everywhere, and so I thought he was just being like an idiot, you know, like all right, yeah, yeah, and but.
Speaker 2: He actually he still does that he did in Miami. He's doing it Saint Louis.
Speaker 3: But it's a focus thing of like I'm like removing every distraction, focusing on the hitter.
Speaker 2: And then he's trying to get other guys to buy in on that too. So it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, when I see a bunch of the Saint Louis Cardinals coming out with beanies in July, I'll know exactly.
Speaker 2: He exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll get to a couple more segments, But first though, one more ad read, which I'm killing today. By the way, let's hear from Cargo's.
Speaker 4: Pod father and I are from Jersey, so we're used to Oh, I got a guy, but sometimes that just means when I'm looking for a car, I go to car Gurus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think, honestly, the best part about this communication which we love here in Jersey where we're from, and this is a place where you can get a car. The price drops all the time, and they let you know. They let you know when your car is ready and when you can get it. The communication part is the best thing for me.
Speaker 4: Scott agreed in depth vehicle Reviews. Car Grews will connect you with trusted dealerships when you're ready, insuring and transparent and hassle free buying process. With over four million listings, they have more car listings than any other major online automotive marketplace in the US. So you can find the best deal, buy or sell your next car today with car Gurus at car gurus dot com. Go to car grews dot com to make sure your big deal is the best deal that's cr g u r us dot com, car gurus dot com.
Speaker 3: Skip.
Speaker 1: Is that a ben In Woods T shirt you're wearing?
Speaker 2: It is? Yeah? He Woods twenty four.
Speaker 3: I wear these things to work out, like all the time. They sent me a bunch of comfy shirts and I love those guys.
Speaker 2: They are great.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool. I have exactly zero from them, so I will remember that for those of you in Saint Louis. Ben and Woods is a San Diego radio show. They're the flagship for the San Diego Padres and that's actually where I met Skip when I was an intern in twenty eighteen fresh out of college. Skip, you were the first coach, right, I was sure if you were assistant Yeah, not.
Speaker 2: Assistant to the manager or whatever.
Speaker 1: They gave me very the office like title for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's great to just kind of to be able to like grow my career and have you be such a consistent presence in it. You knew me when I was like very timid, unsure. I'm sure Allie wishes he had that version of me. He has a superable version of me. Lately this year especially, I don't know what's getting into me, but I have been outlandish in pregames, so I'm trying to work on it. But yeah, Ben It Woods a great radio show.
Speaker 2: We love though they are, they're some of the best.
Speaker 1: So you have a bunch of things going on for you, not only you work with the Rangers, but it was recently announced last month that you were going to be the bench coach for Team USA and the World Baseball Classic. Just how cool was that.
Speaker 3: One of the highlights of my career was being able to play on Team USA in two thousand and six. I was selected with a really young group and I was playing triple.
Speaker 2: A actually, and they had guys like gosh.
Speaker 3: Billy Butler and Aiden Hard and you know, some like really young nineteen twenty k Suzuki. But we were trying to we would go to Cuba and we're trying to qualify for the Olympics. And I met Paul Seiler, who was the CEO of USA Baseball, and we just hit it off and we ended up winning the thing and qualifying, and it was just such a special time to put Team USA or USA across your chest and wear the hat.
Speaker 2: It was just really, really special. And I've never I've just been.
Speaker 3: Hoping one day I could get back and play or coach with them in some capacity.
Speaker 2: And when Mark de Rosa called me this a.
Speaker 3: Couple of weeks ago, about a month ago, and asked if I was willing to be his bench coach, I mean I was through. I was ecstatic. I couldn't believe that I got to do.
Speaker 2: This thing again.
Speaker 3: And then the names that he was talking about that are going to be on our roster that haven't been out there yet. It was just like too good to be true. So very grateful. The staff is amazing. Get to learn so much from these guys. I'm looking forward to learning from the best in baseball, like coaches and players.
Speaker 2: But you know, it was so cool to watch last WBC. I mean it was amazing.
Speaker 3: I was in Florida, obviously, so I would during spring training I would go and watch Venezuela versus Port or the Dominican and it was like forty thousand people just going crazy. And then obviously the USA versus Japan at the very end. Obviously USA didn't win, but what a great thing it was for baseball. The experience I had extreme fomo that I wasn't part of it, So to be able to part of it, be part of it now is really special for me.
Speaker 1: I love the World Baseball Classic. That same time frame, being out in Jupiter, the Cardinals had like over half their roster playing in the WBC, so I pitched the athletic I was like, Hey, these spring training games, like the guys that were focusing on they're actually in the World Baseball Classic. What if I went to Miami and did you know, I think it was the first game, like the quarterfinals, so I got to see Venezuela Puerto Rico. I got to see Puerto Rico versus the dr and it was just an insane environment. It was one of the coolest baseball things I've ever experienced. I saw Albert Poohle seven hundred firsthand, so that's saying something. I love the World Baseball Classic and I'm so excited that you'll be a part of it. I won't ask you for any spoilers, but for the names that are already out there, Aaron Judge, Paul Skins say less. I'm already in on on Team USA. So I hope I get to You know, this is me pitching to the athletic Let me do it again, please, because it was just really I think one of the things that baseball has really gotten right, just to see the passion that everyone has when they're playing for their country. You're seeing some of the best in the game in a different environment. I loved it. I loved every second of just being a participant of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: And the fan base is coming out of different areas and like you know, Miami is you know, we have a very Latin community that which is coming in pouring in, and you just saw the passion they had for their countries and like if I saw like ten different instruments, you know, going and throughout the game, didn't matter what the score was.
Speaker 2: It was so much fun to watch.
Speaker 3: And then you know, going to different countries and playing and I think, you know, I don't know where they're at with that, but I'm hoping.
Speaker 2: That you know, this can go to you know, more in the d R and more in Puerto Rico and Venezuela and whatever.
Speaker 3: Hopefully you know, it's some point that can happen too, because it would be really special to see, you know, the fan bases get to experience watching the best players play for their countries.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get you out of here, we have to talk about perhaps even the more important tournament going on. Your son, Brody is in his high school baseball team is in the playoffs out in California. You mentioned he's a TCU commit. Give us a scouting report. On Brody, what's he got to do?
Speaker 2: Hell?
Speaker 1: Locked in? Is he?
Speaker 5: Right now?
Speaker 3: He's pretty locked in? You know, I'm very grateful to have this reset in my life. I haven't been home this time of year and twenty years, right, I mean, it's just been a long time. So getting to see my son play high school baseball for the first time, getting my see my daughter play high school soccer for the first time this year, and then obviously going on this little playoff run that he is on. Is I get to fill my cup up and then whatever happens next year. You know, I'd love to jump back in, but I think the fact that I got to do this and just watch him play, I just get to take it all in and just sit back and just enjoy it. But you know, they play, Uh he's in the Trinity League, which is a you know, very good league out here and maybe the best in the nation.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it has the modern Days and Jay Sarah and Bosco and just like Powerhouse.
Speaker 3: He goes to Santa Margarita if they play Crispy High School today and uh, if they win, then they go to the championship against everyone's heard of this Corona team with like all these number one potential picks potentially against them.
Speaker 2: They beat Bosco, so it's one game away from the championship. He had a good year All Trinity League. You know, he's he's doing well.
Speaker 3: So it's but he's about winning, which I'm very you know, I really love that about him. He can well, I just think that winning is winning takes care of everything else. And he's Chris mallag in Santa Margarita has a really good culture and so I'm I'm lucky that he's in a program like that.
Speaker 1: Well, this podcast is officially pro Brodie Schumacher. So we are rooting for you, Brody. We are rooting for you Skip as always. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Like I mentioned, you continue to be a Cardinals fan favorite. In fact, one of my favorite memories of you is the twenty twenty three opening day Cardinals Marlins. Oh no, it's twenty twenty four. I'm sorry. Vibes weren't like super high about the team at that point, and you and Willie McGee got the loudest fan ovations on opening day in Saint Louis as you were the opposing manager. So that says a lot about what Cardinals fans think about you.
Speaker 2: I know that was such a special moment.
Speaker 3: My family flew in for that and for them to hear that ovation and was something I'll never forget. And I just obviously loved my time there, and thanks for having me on and always going to be a fan of Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Shockingly, no, not shocks.
Speaker 1: At all, Skip, Thank you so much, Cardinal Territory. We're back with you after the series in Arlington, and I'll be back to break things down maybe another series win. Who knows for Skip Schumacher, I'm Katie Who. This is Cardinal Territory. Thanks as always for watching. H