Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. We did it. We made it.
Speaker 2: Everybody's here, ready to go, the Great City of New Orleans, Dan and the Danets, Dan Patrick Show, the Minister of Humor in rare form. Last night at dinner, Fritzie, we got Marv here, we got Seaton, Pauli, yours truly and the BRGS great guests list all week long. Glad to have you on board, as we do every Monday, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. In this first hour brought to you by ti rac dot com, the official tire expert of the DP Show. Go to tyrac dot com slash Dan the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Yokohama Tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tyrac dot com. The Way tire buying should be eight seven seven three. DP Show operator Tyler's sitting by to take your phone calls, we'll play fill in the blank, We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend, all of that forthcoming. But when was the last time you were truly shocked? Sports shocked? This is one of those. It was midnight Eastern and getting messages on my phone that was like, OMG, question mark exclamation point? What the f question mark exclamation point? And I don't know what's happened. So all of a sudden, you go, I gotta contact somebody. So I sent a message to my wife. I said, is everything okay? And she said, yeah, did you hear about the Luka Doncik? Is that how you pronounce his name? I go, you know it before I know it? And she said, yes, everybody on the internet is talking about this. Is that how you pronounce his name? I said, yes, it is Luka Doncik traded to the Lakers. And you start to think about all the insiders. People get paid millions and millions of dollars to be the insider. Give us a heads up there, and then all of a sudden, nobody was an insider. Nobody had any information on this. Even the players involved in the deal had no idea that this was going on. Now I understand the mab side of this with Luca that you're not going to tell him if you're getting ready to part ways with him, you're not going to say anything to him. The Lakers with Lebron, Lebron friends with Ad, brought Ad in from New Orleans. They want a title together. They're buds. Then there was a report there at odds with one another. Maybe Lebron doesn't like that Ad is not always available. Ad last year played in seventy six games. Now he was injured or is injured on abdominal strain or something. But the fact that you get a guy who does have good numbers when he's played, but you're going to get Luka Dancik in his prime. And that's where you go. Why first question? And I still say that why Brian winhors to the Mothership? Will Joe is coming up top of next hour. But the Mavericks went to the NBA Finals last year. It's not like they flamed out in the first round. It's not where you go, man. They got to make some big decisions here, They got to make some changes here. They went to the NBA Finals last year, and you get rid of Luca, who's twenty five and you get Anthony Davis in return because you say defense wins championships. And then you were talking about your culture, the MAVs culture, that these players they got fit in better than Luca, And it goes back to why what do the MAVs know that we don't know yet?
Speaker 3: And was it just Luca was not in shape?
Speaker 2: You don't want to give him a max deal where he's going to be making over seventy million dollars a year, but you know it's one of those one you're watch him play and you go, gosh, if he ever gets in shape, you know he'll average forty a game. I mean, he's still good to averaging thirty a game, and you know, you look at his weight.
Speaker 3: That's a big deal.
Speaker 2: I mean, just like Zion Williamson that that has become a big issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Zion is moved at some point in his career. But here's Luca, arguably one of the top five players, certainly one of the top ten players, and you get him at twenty five Anthony Davis.
Speaker 3: You're not going to build around him.
Speaker 2: And it's weird that it feels like Sacramento got more for Daron Fox than the Mavericks got for you know, the trade with Luka Doncik Darren Fox going to San Antonio, which I think is great, love it thought it was wonderful, But as far as the Lakers, it was one of those where and you start to look at sports surprises. You know, when Kobe passed away, we didn't want to believe it. It's like no, no, you know it's a tragedy and you're like, no, that that couldn't possibly have happened, and then all of a sudden you realize that it did happen. I was doing Sports Center when Magic announced that he had HIV and then he was going to have to retire.
Speaker 3: Like that is sports.
Speaker 1: Shocked this a.
Speaker 2: And if you're looking at things that probably would shock you, I'll go back to when Luel Sindor was traded from the Bucks to the Lakers, and I remember, guys, you just traded the best player in the game, and you got Junior Bridgeman and you got Dave Myers and I think Elmore Smith was in. You know, it wasn't a great list of players, even when Wilt Chamberlain was traded. You know, you don't get as much as you think and return Oscar Robertson traded to the Bucks. You got, uh, two marginal players out of that.
Speaker 3: But I would have thought draft picks.
Speaker 2: I would have thought you could have gotten a whole lot more from a lot of other people. And it's like you didn't let everybody know. It's almost like you're single and then all of a sudden, you're gonna marry the first guy that you meet, like, I gotta I gotta get spread this. Maybe there's other options out there. That was what was surprising. And they kept it quiet, which I thought was fascinated in today's world where everybody in Hollywood, somebody's telling somebody something.
Speaker 1: But they kept it quiet.
Speaker 2: And now you have the Dallas Mavericks with Anthony Davis. As they move forward, and I hope they play great defense. Somebody better tell Kyrie Irving he's got to play defense because defense wins championships. But Luca, look, I don't like Luca going to the Lakers because you got two ball dominant guys. You know, Lebron wants to have the ball and so does Luca. Okay, don't like it. I mean I love it from the standpoint of you got to watch it, But I don't know if it's one of those.
Speaker 1: Where you go, all right, I see what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Now, this is long term. This is a long play. You know, he's twenty five. But as far as Lebron is Lebron going to stay longer?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Does he want to get traded?
Speaker 2: And I think those are questions that we'll ask, you know, Wendy when he joins this next hour.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, but Lebron's won championship with ball dominant guys before, like Dwayne Wade and Kyrie Irving. So if it worked there, it might work here. Just one last shot man. So Lebron was good at playing a lot of your turn, My Turn with d Wade and Kyrie, So maybe this might be the plan for the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Luca's gonna want the ball now, Luca's gonna want to be out on, you know, for vengeance.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna show everybody, you know, you see that's what happens, you get traded.
Speaker 3: Like he was shocked.
Speaker 2: He was like, wall, I didn't know anything about this. Jason Kidd didn't know, nobody knew anything about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, yeah, it does seem like Lebron is a guy who doesn't mind not having it all on his shoulders, right, and so he wants the ball, maybe wants it a little less these days. I'm like, ah, man, this is your Like Marvin said, now this is your turn, and then I'll I'll get the next one.
Speaker 2: And I worry about Bronni too, just to make sure that he's going to get his touches as well as most people are.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul, I have this policy for the past twenty or thirty years. If the Lakers are calling me or talking to me about a trade, don't do it. Pow Gasol Kobe Bryant when they during the draft, Uh Shaquille O'Neill. In his prime, Leuel Cindar looking Leuis sinder was twenty six, he had won two of the previous three MVPs and Milwaukee goes, let's get rid of this guy. It's hard to make sense of that at the time, and this one's just as bad.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Luel Sindor wanted out of Milwaukee, wanted to go to Los Angeles. He had played his college ball out there, and I think that he wanted out of that situation. But you know, the difference is with the Lakers. Usually Jerry West was on the other end. If Jerry West calls, then you don't you don't pick up because you know, somehow, someway this isn't going to work out. But Rob Polinka made the move, pulled the trigger on this, and I good, you know, credit to the Lakers. I didn't think they were going anywhere with Anthony Davis. But at least you've I don't know, revitalized your fan base and maybe you now to look at the future and maybe you go, Okay, we have somebody we can build on who's not forty years of age.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know.
Speaker 6: And all of the attention is going to the Lakers and the MAVs obviously, But then when you look at the other side of some of these trades, it's like, what are the bulls doing?
Speaker 3: Well, what have the Bulls been doing for the last twenty years.
Speaker 6: They're like a team that's being stripped down for parts because like some gigantic company bought them and like a just sell off all the good stuff and then well it's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like when animals cross a river and you know, some make it and something like the bulls crossing the river and then it's like, oh, we lost one, we lost another one, and they finally traded zach Lavine. He's probably been rumored to have been traded one hundred times, it feels like in the last couple of years. So he goes to Sacramento, and of course you reunite him with Tomorro Rosen and that's going to be magic there.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin zach Lavine is Bradley beal Light Wow, a lot of points, but it doesn't lead to wins, so.
Speaker 3: That's not a compliment. No, no, no, okay, yeah.
Speaker 8: Both players, but no, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: I've been wanting to ask you this for about a day and a half.
Speaker 7: If you're the Lakers, I'd like to know how much time after the initial call to the trade was made, and how much due diligence did you get, because whenever someone offers you something too good to be true, I got to know why this house is six hundred thousand should be a million.
Speaker 1: Oh it's got mold. That's what it feels like.
Speaker 7: The Lakers are getting something that the Mavericks really didn't want.
Speaker 1: Why how do you ask that? How do you find out why they don't want Luke anymore?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think that's what we're waiting for.
Speaker 2: I think everybody was like, and this is one of those where NBA players in games they're passing the phone around on the bench because nobody believes it's real.
Speaker 3: It's like, you got to be kidding me.
Speaker 1: Wait, you see this, you see this, you see this, you see this?
Speaker 6: Yes, Seed, And they can't even be like, well, you know what. The chance to get Anthony Davis is just too good to pass up, and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, what do you want him for?
Speaker 9: Yes, Todd, is there standard physically after all trades or they have to do that before they becomes efficient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and both players are injured. I didn't think you could trade injured players. If David Stern was still the commissioner, I would love to have heard his reaction, but he have vetoed this like you did, Chris Paul to the Lakers.
Speaker 6: I see, oh, okay, you guys just want to move stars wherever.
Speaker 2: Okay, And then it goes back to you know, loyalty, franchise, loyalty. Luca didn't want to leave. You know, we always talk about the players in the NBA. Oh, they're holding up these franchises. You know, they're the ones that are dictating what goes on. Uh.
Speaker 3: By all accounts, neither of these players knew what was going on.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marv, and I think we all have to let the public know Mark Cuban is not the majority owner of the Dallas Mavericks anymore, because I got about three text messages. What is Mark Cuban doing? He's just sitting there. He didn't do this.
Speaker 3: I know Fritzy.
Speaker 2: We were at dinner last night and I said to Fritzy, reach out to Cuban. So he said, uh, he can't.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 2: I thought, that's sorry, and I said, wait a minute, why can't he He didn't make the move, but he still owns like twenty seven percent of the mavericke He's very busy.
Speaker 10: Shark Tang has got a lot of stuff going.
Speaker 4: On and dealing.
Speaker 2: But this is where Paula goes, Yeah, telling we can tape it right now. We'll go like, we'll tape it whatever time you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love Paul's like, guess is out of the country.
Speaker 10: You can't do it.
Speaker 4: They don't. I zoomed it off the phones out of the country.
Speaker 7: Yeah, paul I wonder if Mark Cuban's I can't was I can't like he loved Luca and he made his declarations years ago and always loved him.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's one of those guys where you paired him with Kyrie Irving, they go to the NBA Finals, you would think, Okay, I mean it's not a great team, but still you went to the NBA Finals last year and then you decide to part ways.
Speaker 1: But I don't.
Speaker 2: Maybe they just looked at this and said, he's where he is now at twenty five, how much better is he going to get? How much does he care? And then they talk. You know, all these teams, en franchises have culture.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Patriots culture, and it's heat culture, and it's I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 3: All I know is.
Speaker 2: Anthony Davis already has it and he hasn't even put on the uniform yet, which is pretty amazing. You buy it in the gift shop when you you know, land in Dallas Fort Worth, Yeah, Seeton.
Speaker 6: There's a quote from Mark Cuban all over the internet now that as far as I can could tell, is real. But Mark Cuban said, if I had to choose between my wife and keeping Luca on the MAVs catch me at my lawyer's office prepping for a divorce.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: You know, she could probably use that in future negotiations. I'm a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't have been funny if the Lakers get Luca Mark Cuban's wife. Oh, they get Maxie Kleeber and Market Morris, the first wife you know traded.
Speaker 1: Yet the deal makes sense?
Speaker 7: Yeah to mar and I were joking at the end of the day when they introduced you know, they always introduced the new player they trade for, and they hold up the jersey that he's gonna wear.
Speaker 1: When Luca gets.
Speaker 7: Introduced in LA, when they introduced Anthony Davis and Dallas, do they hold up a sweater and pants?
Speaker 1: Wow, sang Street clothes. Not really, Fairy's playing a lot lately. I retract that statement. Retracted.
Speaker 4: Damn, yeah, much too soon.
Speaker 1: Street. He's playing well, we returned he is.
Speaker 3: He is, of course, coming back from another injury.
Speaker 4: Yes, marsh I saw Luca get off the plane miraculously. He's twenty five pounds down now. He looks great, shreadfast. Oh, he looked great. He looked like James Harden when he got traded, because James Harden was over here looking like Professor Klamb at one point.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like when your significant other that decides to divorce you and then you get you back to your playing weight, like you all of a sudden go all right, I'm out there on the mark.
Speaker 1: But in thirty six hours and he gets him spanks, he's.
Speaker 2: Going to Ozempicville. Oh, he's going to Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Part of his contract.
Speaker 2: Yes, they may have hooked him up on the plane where he's Can I get an iva of that ozempic here down twenty five? By the way, six ers weren't the Celtics down by twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Last night and came back. We were in a bar or restaurant. Every TV.
Speaker 2: There had to be fifteen TVs and that was the only thing on the Celtics and the seventy six ers every single TV.
Speaker 10: And it wasn't that bizarre.
Speaker 9: I know it's not a sports bar, but there were like eighteen to twenty tev's. Everyone had the Celtic sixer game on its New Orleans. It's not like we were in the outskirts of Philly or bostsk.
Speaker 3: All I know is you were on fire last night.
Speaker 4: I was a hyper I don't know why exactly there was a rest.
Speaker 1: There's a point in dinner where I wish I was on fire.
Speaker 2: Last night I made Todd drink a beer just to see if it would, you know, slow him down, shut him up.
Speaker 3: It didn't.
Speaker 2: I drank like half of that both. Oh I know, Oh, I know. Poll question seton. We gotten an obvious one for the first hour.
Speaker 6: Well, we have some that are trade related. We have one off of stapped dinners that Todd's had submitted.
Speaker 1: You know what, we'll wait too.
Speaker 2: After the break, we'll go over our poll questions for the first hour, best and worst of the weekend. Operator Tyler sitting by, he'll take your phone calls. Had a interesting situation last night as I looked out of my window, my bedroom window at the hotel, and saw five guys in their underwear in the swimming pool, and I said, that guy looks like one of my employees. In fact, they're all my employees in the pool in their underwear, led by Dylan, of course.
Speaker 1: So we'll take a break. I think that was referred to this morning as dude soup. I leave. Someone referred to that incident as dude soup. That a suit for me.
Speaker 2: Yes, Rossell Tucker, our good buddy, will stop by. Brian Windhors will join us. Top of next hour, Big Mike Golick and Mike Junior will stop by.
Speaker 1: Chris Simms.
Speaker 2: Got a busy day here this Monday, beautiful day here in New Orleans. We'll come back here on The Dan Patrick Show right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com. We're stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 11: Hey, We're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 12: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blubber list lame in me.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it.
Speaker 8: Because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 12: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 11: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 12: There you go, over Promising. Remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Coavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Rumor has it there will be a pickleball match front row back row at some point this week. We're at the Exchange, which is a beautiful facility here in New Orleans, and I think it's Paulie and Marvin versus Seaton and Fritzy pickleball. I don't know what the stakes are. I just know that their rumor has it. There's going to be a pickleball matchup at some point this week.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul, I think speaking for all of us, we know very little about the rules and regulations of pickleball.
Speaker 3: I've only played it once. I want to know.
Speaker 2: I'm an expert, but I'm only here for guidance with you guys, and I reached out to Miller Lyte. We have some great accessories for you guys to play pickleball. You will look like you know what you're doing. That's my goal guaranteed.
Speaker 1: Yes time.
Speaker 4: What about the terminology. You said something the other day about the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to learn some turn You're gonna learn it. You're going to learn some you know, you got to serve underhand. You know they can't be in the kitchen, and you know it's something you're gonna need to know.
Speaker 1: You can't high paddle. That would that be called high paddling.
Speaker 3: Well, you can do that after the serve happened. Oh okay, okay, got it. I just want to Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 1: The ball is served.
Speaker 4: Okay, got it.
Speaker 3: By the way, we have great gift bags here. Well, we have great partners.
Speaker 2: Our studio guests receive a fantastic gift bag items, some Sons, Tragger, Panini, King, Sawaiian and rapid Radios. We'll talk to Ross Tucker here in a moment. Poll questions Todd or U Seaton. Who's doing the honors?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got a couple.
Speaker 6: We'll start with a I think kind of an easy one. Which team got most better this weekend? Lakers, MAVs are Spurs. Oh okay, I like that, all right? The to double D He's sent in two. The Luka Doncic Anthony Davis trade benefits the Lakers, the MAVs both teams neither, But then he sent in the one that was a little more controversial. Staff dinners are dot dot dot generally a fun time, okay, depending on and where you're seated or mandatory.
Speaker 3: How would you answer your poll question?
Speaker 4: Tom? I would say generally a fun time.
Speaker 9: But I've worked on other shows and been with other staffs where every one of those three I could have picked at different points in my career. Yesterday was a fun time. But I've been in situations where I guess I got to go to this thing. Everyone's gonna show up, and it's gonna look like I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to hang out with these people.
Speaker 9: There's been other times where I'm like, this is cool, but I really wanted to sit next to that guy and he's at the other end of the table, and now they stuck me here, and that's not great.
Speaker 1: I know how that feels. Yeah, I was right.
Speaker 3: Across from Paulie.
Speaker 2: Paulie was next to you, and I go of all the places, you know, the two siblings, like if you and your brother and you don't like each other, don't get along, and but you always sit.
Speaker 3: Next to each other. You were there and you were shot out of a camp.
Speaker 9: I thought it went very well, except that I was a little too much of a chatterbox, and that was a kind of irritating.
Speaker 3: You kept sit, Oh, what goes on upstairs? You can go upstairs. Nobody's telling us, wait and go upstairs. Hey, what if I get in that elevator?
Speaker 1: Where where's that tap? I was sitting.
Speaker 4: We were sitting right on top of this big like silver elevator. I was just very curious. And then there was some kind of staircase and there was interesting lights.
Speaker 9: I didn't know if it used to be like some kind of brothel or something like that, kind of different colors, and things were.
Speaker 4: Gone in it was why are we gonna go get it was? It was just I don't know. I had a vibe to it.
Speaker 1: And then there was a birthday. Yeah, there was presentation.
Speaker 2: We had some video of that where Marvin, I think, did you tell somebody it was your birthday and it wasn't your birthday?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: A couple of brgs, Oh, they said it was somebody else's another brg's birthday.
Speaker 2: And there was some dancing going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So one of the brg's goes, Marvet, I've never seen you turn your head faster in my life.
Speaker 3: That woman was right behind you.
Speaker 1: She sure was.
Speaker 2: Yes, there were a couple of women right behind you. There were Yeah, birthday. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 4: That's our birthday. Shout out next time when somebody says, oh, my wife Phyllis, she loves the show. It's her birthday. That's the song from now on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Marvin goes, hey, do you think we could go back there today? And I say it's my birthday again? I said, sure, you can do that all right? Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the TP Show. We'll get to your best and worst of the weekend coming up. Let's settle on the poll question, which one do you want to go with? First hour seat before we bring into Ross Tuck.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're actually gonna put up two of them. We're gonna put up Steph Dinners and we're gonna put up which team got most better this weekend?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Our next guest, you know him from his great football calls on CBS in Westwood One he played in the NFL, says he could have gotten into Princeton on his grades alone. Nobody's buying that. His head is bigger than some compact cars. You know him, you love him.
Speaker 3: He there's Ross Tucker.
Speaker 2: Let's go and have him, all right, No, No, closer to me, Closer to me.
Speaker 3: Look at Ross Tunkers.
Speaker 13: Zero percent chance I would have gotten into printing without football.
Speaker 4: Zero. The Valleytory in my high.
Speaker 13: School my year did not get in the same year I got in.
Speaker 4: It was a little bit dicey.
Speaker 3: And they wanted to get into Princeton.
Speaker 4: Yeah. All I ever want to do is play football for Penn State.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: All they ever wanted to do was go to Princeville Harvard.
Speaker 13: And thankfully, by senior year he was a little bit more relaxed that I could joke, And I said, listen, Richard, while you were falling around studying, I was looking at wait trying to get into the best colleges.
Speaker 4: He went to Columbia or Penn. He's a doctor. I'm sure he's doing great.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but but yeah, I guess you know, they only take so many people from EAT school, so I guess I kind of took a spot.
Speaker 2: Can you remember a sports shock in the NFL that's anywhere near what we got with the NBA.
Speaker 13: I remember being very I'm not saying it's near where the NBA is, but I remember Easter Sunday one year the Eagles traded Donovan McNabb to the Redskins, and that was like wow, right, I mean, you know in division and Donovan had been the face of the Eagles franchise for a decade. That was one where I think, you know, I used to be working for a serious ExM. I think we had an emergency show and I think they called me like, can you do a show tonight Easter Sunday night.
Speaker 4: To discuss that.
Speaker 13: I thought it was pretty crazy when the Patriots traded Bledsoe to the Bills. Although you kind of knew that was coming, not to this extent, not not like I will say this, I don't know that much about the NBA or that many guys, but the NBA. In the NBA, if you're not sure what's happening, when in doubt, the guy probably wanted out.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, that's it seemed like all these guys.
Speaker 13: That's all they talk about in Philly now is Embid and you know, Jimmy Butler. It just seems like if you're not sure why a team was moving on from a guy, that guy probably wanted I don't anything about Luca. Maybe he loved Dallas, but that's just that's my two cents about the NBA.
Speaker 2: I thought about Andrew luck that that was oh yes, because it felt like that he finally got the Colts offensive line figured out that he was getting healthier, he was in his prime, and then all of a sudden, Chefty drops the bomb that he's retiring. And that was during preseason when he was at the game on the sidelines, and then the fans started booing him.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that really hurt my heart. I didn't like how any of that went down. You're right, because what guy retires in the middle or at least it comes out in the middle of like the second preseason game. That's just not a thing for a starting quarterback to retire middle of the second or third preseason game. You're right, And then they were booing him, and then he had that awkward press conference and you know that's not how he wanted it to go. I always think about situations like that, Dan, I know you're similar.
Speaker 4: Who did that? Like who told Schefty and Chef?
Speaker 13: You know, Scheffy did his job, but who somebody my guess, and the cult organization was not happy and they put it out there and kind of put Andrew in a bad spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chefty tried to do a NFL camp on Luka Doncik and Anthony Davis, and I think he said Joe Burrow for Lamar Jackson, right, And that's not good. That's why I've heard it's not even close. It would be where you have somebody who is twenty five and then a quarterback who's thirty two, a quarterback who's twenty five and awesome, and then if you said Joe Burrow Dak Prescott, that to me would be the comp Dak Prescott injured A lot has had some success hasn't won anything. Joe Burrow is twenty five and still in his prime. So I would say that is that would be the modern day NFL.
Speaker 3: Comp for me.
Speaker 13: So, and again I don't follow the MBDA that closely, Dan, but everybody's saying, how could the MAVs do this?
Speaker 4: How could the MAVs do this?
Speaker 13: Whoever's running their organization, they're not that thomb right, Like, there's got to be some reasoning, some logic. Maybe we'll find out, maybe we won't. I saw where he's eligible for the super Max in a year or two. Maybe he told him I don't want to be there, like, I'm not gonna sign this with you. If if you want to get anything in return for me, you better trade me. Now, there's got to be more to it that. For whatever various reasons, agents and all that stuff, they don't they want, they don't want to put.
Speaker 4: It out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he was generally shocked. And I think you have a GM.
Speaker 2: Who basically says I'm either gonna be you know, champion or vilified, Yeah, in three years from now. So it feels like and there there's always you know, ancillary things that go into this. But you know, they talked about the Miami or the Mavericks culture that you know, these players will buy into the MAVs culture, and maybe he didn't. They talked about his weight and he was out of shape, so you know, these code words that it felt like, do we want to give this guy seventy five million dollars a year?
Speaker 4: Year? Right?
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking, it's not like he's going to slow down or he can't jump any hunt. He's like Luca don Or. Yeah, he's like Joker where he's not going to slow down because he's already slowed down. Like he this is how he plays. He's gonna play old man basketball the rest of his career. So that's what I don't If he shows up with a you know, a beer belly, cut off shorts, smoking cigarettes, I'd be like, all right, that guy's still gonna get twenty five at night.
Speaker 13: So it's funny because the two things that jump out to me, I'll never forget. I can't remember what game they won last year. But after the game, he's drinking a beer. Yeah, Michael Finley comes over.
Speaker 4: And takes it out of his hand.
Speaker 13: I thought, I don't know about that, Like he's the best player. And it's one thing to say, hey man, probably not a good idea to have that beer and everything, like take it out of his head.
Speaker 4: I'd be like, dude, who are you? I just won the game for us with the NBA Finals. Give me my beer. That's how I would have been, Give me my beer.
Speaker 13: The other thing is there's certain I played basketball through high school, loved it.
Speaker 4: I get the guys that are fast, can jump.
Speaker 13: High, all those things I'm amazed by, like Brunson or Luca. Damn they're slow, they can't jump, and yet there I watched him.
Speaker 4: I'm like, how is he doing this?
Speaker 13: Because you know, it is hard to get your shot off if you're not coming off a screen, off a dribble.
Speaker 4: The way they change it's really really impressive.
Speaker 2: But it's like, and we're talking to Ross Tucker a CBS Sports, like Le'Veon bell he wasn't the fastest guy, right, but he kind.
Speaker 1: Of drifted drifted boom, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Drifted drifted boom, you know, And I guess there's comparisons in all walks of life. Let me go back to the trade, where Luca may thank the MAVs at some point for restarting his career or getting to realize get in shape, you can be one of the greatest players of all time. I go back to when Chris Carter was going through his drug problems and Buddy Ryan traded him. Yeah, and Chris later in his career said he saved my career because he he woke me up. I don't know if it's to that degree with Luca that he you know he does it's not drugs, but it's is taking care of himself. And Buddy traded Chris and didn't want to, but had to because he thought it was best for Chris's career.
Speaker 13: But also maybe this is just who Luca is and maybe he can keep going like this. I mean, isn't Ovechkin about to break Gretzky's record? Ovechkin, I know some guys that know he's been running hard for a while, maybe not as much as he used to do, but like the fact that that guy is gonna break Gretzky's record. He's not only burns it at both ends, but he's like a hitter, you know what I mean, Like he's not like just your finesse.
Speaker 4: You know, goal scorer like Ovechkin.
Speaker 13: That that's incredible to me that he's still playing and about the break that I can't believe.
Speaker 4: I'm talking basketball.
Speaker 2: Tim Legler here, if the Eagles win the Super Bowl, and how will we look at how will history look at that trade that the Eagles made getting Saquon barklay.
Speaker 13: Ooh, they will call it one of the best free agent signings of all time. Yeah, they'll call it one of the best free agent signs of all time. And it'll just make it look even uglier for the Giants. I mean, we talked about a little bit about McNabb and bledsoee in division. Not only was Saquon and division. We have it on tape, the owner saying to the GM boy, I'd have a tough time sleeping. He's our best player, he's by far our most popular player.
Speaker 4: And the owner kept that guy.
Speaker 13: The owner said, I would Can you imagine losing a guy that might be a difference maker, may be offensive player of the year Dan.
Speaker 4: I think they offered him ten and a.
Speaker 13: Half eleven, but they weren't going to go to twelve and a half or whatever. If you think about that, these are the Giants are probably worth eight billion dollars, right over a million and a half they let their best and most popular player go to the other team in their division. Don't you think in like just just ticket sales and just jerseys, don't you think Saquan almost makes up for that million and a half a year like that. Stuff like that is the stuff I really really don't understand.
Speaker 2: I just hope that it revitalized the running back position because I kept waiting, knew it would happen. I didn't know would happened like this. But you got Derek Kentner, mean, you got teams that really James Cook that they focus on the run.
Speaker 4: Josh Jacobs, Joe Mixon.
Speaker 13: There's a bunch of guys that got signed, older veteran guys. You know, here's what's crazy, because I wrote about this during the season. You know what, Michael Pittman for the Colts. He's a good player, right, nice receiver. He makes twenty four million dollars a year. He makes double Saquon. He makes three times what Derek Henry makes. So kudos to Howie Roseman and Eric DaCosta and the gms of the Ravens and the Eagles for saying, wait, Mante, this is not right, like a good game for Michael Pittman is like six catches.
Speaker 4: For eighty eight yards.
Speaker 13: We're gonna give Saquon Barkley the ball one way or the other twenty times a game. And I think they also correctly figured out, you know, Saquon, if you get him to the second level and he gets that speed going look out. The Giants just could rarely do it. But with the Eagles offensive line, he gets that space to get up to twenty two miles an hour often. And that's why we've had I said, I can't remember a guy maybe Chris Johnson from the Titans that one year, but I can't remember a guy with this many sixty seventy yard right.
Speaker 4: This doesn't happen in the NFL.
Speaker 3: It's great to see.
Speaker 4: Always, man. I good to see you guys in person for sure.
Speaker 2: Thanks for all your contributions. We appreciate it. You're always there for us. The audience loved you, and you know we do you have the Eagles winning? Do you have to have Eagles winning?
Speaker 4: No? I don't know.
Speaker 13: I think I don't know how you pick sirianni and Hurts over Andy Reid and Mahomes no one score game.
Speaker 1: I really don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think the Eagles them.
Speaker 3: And you covered the Eagles ull season.
Speaker 4: I do their preseason games.
Speaker 13: I do multiple things for the Eagles, but when someone asked for my prediction, I gotta go with what I think is the most likely scenario. Most likely scenario is one score game. In a one score game, I'm taking Mahomes, Andy Reid over.
Speaker 4: Hurts and Sara.
Speaker 1: They can do it.
Speaker 13: But I think the Eagles' best chance is if they just run away from it with Sakua and win like thirty four to twenty three. Eagles need to somehow either win by two scores or be up by two scores late, because if it's a one score game, We've seen that movie over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: He's Ross Tucker with CBS Sports west Wood One. We'll take a break. When we come back, we'll give you our best and worst of the weekend. We'll also bring you the play of the day right after this from New Orleans. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. We'll get you your phone calls. More phone calls coming up, and we'll talk to Chris Sims Football Night in America. He will join us coming up as well. Do so we have a new poll question for hour two. Is that correct? Brian Windhorst from the Mothership will join us top the next hour as we dive a little deeper into the trade, the biggest sports shock that we've had in quite some time. Marvin brought up a great point that Michael Jordan going to play baseball was a bigger shock than this. But as far as an actual trade, it's new.
Speaker 3: Marouno, I think, yeah, Pauline, I went.
Speaker 7: Back and looked at a couple with the NFL, and the NFL is rarely as big with trades. But the herschel Walker trade to Minnesota Vikings was October twelfth, nineteen eighty nine. That was mid season and they got the monstros Hall that turned out to be the Cowboys run a couple years later. The other one was the Ricky Williams draft no trade. Yeah, the coverage was out of hand with Mike Dicka trading his entire draft to.
Speaker 1: Draft Ricky Williams out of Texas.
Speaker 2: It's like Ditka didn't want to work, you know here in New Orleans. He's like, you can take all my picks. I just want Ricky Williams and then I can I leave?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Can I go get something eat and go get a drink? What was the other one that you said, Herschel? Herschel changed the NFL, I mean that changed the Cowboys. That was pretty shocking as well. We talked about Andrew luck when he announced that he was retiring in his prime and that what he didn't announce it Shefty did. And then all of a sudden, although Shefty did try to wiggle his way into this by saying, you know, the NFL comp would be Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow were like, no, no, it wouldn't be that.
Speaker 4: It would be.
Speaker 2: Dak Prescott traded for Joe Burrow. That would probably be similar guy who's thirty two injury prone and a guy who is twenty five who's in his prime.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, and also the Dak Prescott portion of it, it's the biggest franchise in that sport.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the Lakers, all right, look at you, you're doing extra work every day is a super Bowl I know, I know.
Speaker 4: Usually for me it's a divisional round, but today is the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a wild card weekend sometimes with us.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Our next guest from NBC Sports played quarterback at Texas, played in the NFL, and he loves to visit a dispensary.
Speaker 3: He never played football high.
Speaker 1: That we know of. Here's Chris m.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: I don't ever smoke.
Speaker 1: On the job. I never smoke on the job.
Speaker 4: Never.
Speaker 1: Never. I'm an end of the day kind of guy. So even you know, even post football, right, I mean never never.
Speaker 2: So when you've done football night in America, never done anything right?
Speaker 3: Never never.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't. I can't do it that way.
Speaker 3: Or pro football talk with Mike Florio.
Speaker 1: Early in the morning, waking bake. No, that's not happening either, right seven am.
Speaker 3: But in college, you may have, yeh.
Speaker 1: In college is kind of where it starts, right, It's kind of where I started to be go down that route of smoking a little. I didn't think we were going to be starting our super Bowl conversation with this conversation here, but but either way we might as well. Yeah, it started in college a little bit, just because like you know, sixth Street, Austin, Texas. I'd go out with my friends, I'd have drinks and I'd be like, man, I just can't do it. I don't like drinking, and I'd get hung over or throw up or whatever. And that's where I started to dabble in the you know, smoking a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, okay, but the whole thing about dealing with pain with athletes, I mean, this is serious.
Speaker 1: This is definitely serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but where are we going with that medicinal use of marijuana with athletes? And I don't know if it helps with CTE. I don't know what the study. I don't know all that either.
Speaker 1: I do know that it's a better option than options that were out there before, right. I had teammates and friends who certainly got into opioid addictions because, yeah, especially in my day back in you know, the twenty ten two thousand and eight, the drug testing was more much more strict, so you weren't going to be able to do that, and so guys then would go to the pill route, and it caused problems, I mean lots of problems, whether it was you know, with their stomach and their digestive system, them getting addicted to it, whatever, the mental aspect of it. But I think we're at a much better place now, and I think you know, the we're accepting of it. I mean, look, we're sitting at super Bowl fifty nine starting off a conversation with it.
Speaker 3: Are these the two best teams in the NFL?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, they're the two best. I mean the Ravens would have been right there with it, right, I mean the Ravens. The Ravens when the playoffs started, or the team I picked up go to the Super Bowl. I thought, like, when this playoffs started, I said, man, the Ravens are playing the best ball right now, like they look like they're peaking. But certainly the Chiefs are right there with them. The Eagles, though, I don't know if, like I can't emphasize this enough. I've been trying to say this for about the last month. The Eagles aren't all star team. It's one of the best teams we've seen post like the new free agency, you know, Salary cap Era well constructed teams that I've ever seen. It's one of the best O lines ever. I would put it up there with the nineties Cowboys. It's that good. It is that good. They run three plays and he runs for two thousand yards. They run three plays. They don't run a lot of pass plays either. There kinda give me the three plays. They run inside zone, outside zone, and you'll see two pullers every now and then.
Speaker 3: It's the only three runs they run.
Speaker 1: And they go, we're so good at it, screw you or coming at you with it, and you can't stop it. That's how good they are, and offensively in their past game. You know, this is one of the things I worry about with the game is because they My thing with the matchup is kind of brains versus braun. It's the Chiefs who do everything, and it's the Eagles who are just like, we're here and you know what we're gonna do, and you still can't stop it, and they pose problems for you. The Eagles with that o line, that running game, Jalen Hurt's ability to run the ball, and then of course he's a good deep ball thrower, that's his best thing. So now you get one on one with AJ Brown and Devonte Smith, they cause problems for you, and that's where this game is going to be really interesting.
Speaker 2: But it feels like there's a concer effort to have Jalen hurts throw less, Yeah, yeah, they're better when he throws less.
Speaker 1: I think it kind of just manifested that way a little bit between. Yeah, they were running the ball, well, I don't think he was playing his best football. Then he got hurt, and then they kind of got like pigeonholed into Oh, he's not hitting on all cylinders right now and playing his best football, So let's lean on the run game a little bit more. But if he throws the ball like he did in the NFC Championship, right, that's the Chiefs will have to play a special, special game to beat them.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But is.
Speaker 2: It more important that the Eagles offense that's great or the Eagles defense is great?
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's a good question there. I would say more the Eagles defense though.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Still the Eagles defense. The Eagles defense, it's the best in football. They got everything, right, Jalen Carter is arguably the best defensive player in the game. They got really good secondary players. They're simple too, though. Vic Fangio it's hey, he's the man. I have mad respect for Vic Fangio. But they're another team. They don't do a lot. They're kind of just like Hey, we're good. We know what we're going to do. We know you can't expose us in our rules because we're so you.
Speaker 4: Know, honed in on all of it.
Speaker 1: And they're gonna, i think, have to change a little bit because can you sit there and play MC zone against Patrick Mahomes all game? No, no way. That's what happened in Buffalo the first two series. They played zone and he just went zoo zoom zoone zoom zoom, and then they went, oh crap, let's play man for the rest of the game. And then you saw all these man plays as the game went on. And that's going to be one of the chess matches of this thing is can Philly play the defense they want to play against this guy playing quarterback?
Speaker 2: But also does Jalen Hurts try to do too much? You know, when you're opposite Patrick Mahomes, right, you're opposite a great player. Sure you kind of want to match them exactly, Josh Allen, is you know, falling prey to this?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: Lamar Jackson, right, it's all that. You know. People go, oh they choked. They go, no, Lamar didn't choke. Lamar wants it so bad. He's trying to do everything to get there. Right, He's got a guy holding on his leg and he's doing a three point stance trying to like three sixty out of it to still make a throw, and then he fumbles the football. He's not choking, he's just maybe doing too much. Same with Josh Allen, certainly. Yeah, you don't want to fall in that trap if you're Jalen Hurts. He was pretty good in the first Super Bowl, right, I mean the fumble was a huge part of the game, certainly, But if he plays like that again, then they're going to be really tough to beat.
Speaker 3: Let's say the Chiefs win.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Greatest team of all time?
Speaker 1: I mean it's the greatest team of all time in a four or five year span.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what this season, if what they've done, Yeah, can you label them the greatest?
Speaker 3: This is this season? No?
Speaker 1: No, no way, no way.
Speaker 3: Okay, which team is the greatest?
Speaker 1: Gosh? I mean it's hard for me not to look at like the ninety two Cowboys and the eighty nine to forty nine Ers and teams like that where I go. You know, again, it's a little unfair because as you know, it's it's pre salary cap. Yeah, and those teams were stacked. But those teams, I mean, we go back, those teams weren't eking out every game going all right. I hope they missed the field goal. I hope, I hope something magical happens. Those teams were dominating football teams. I think you can remember that, and yeah, I don't know if it matches up with that.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Chris Sims, Pro Football Talk Live co host. You can see that on Peacock prior to our show, Chris Sim's Unbuttoned podcast and a contributor to NBC Football Night in America, the football equivalent to Luca and Anthony Davis.
Speaker 1: I know, I heard you say that, and I did see Schefter's tweet too, and it was something more along the lines of, like what you were saying, older good quarterback for somebody in his prime I don't know, right, And you know, a Jared Goff type at age for one of these young whipper snappers who's a star right now?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: You know, I mean to me, there's four quarterbacks that stand alone in football right now, and you know who they are. The mahomes Lamar, Josh Allen, and Joe Burrow are on another level. Then we can get a discussion about the other guys. But those four are like far and away the best in the game right now. But you look back on the Herschel deal, Yeah, yeah, I remember it, man. That changed the Cowboys. Yes, I mean it won them three super Bowl chang Football.
Speaker 2: Right right, Andrew Luck announcing his retirement, it changed some stuff.
Speaker 3: That was one of those where you didn't believe it, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if there's anything else that comes to mind, because you normally don't get big NFL trade No.
Speaker 1: I mean Eric Dickerson in the eighties, I remember him right, that was a big one. That was a big deal.
Speaker 4: You guys hit on Ricky Williams.
Speaker 1: Of course that was a huge draft day. But yeah, nothing that I can like, nothing where you can go star for star like that. I mean, I'm not even in NBA mode. But I woke up on Sunday morning, like what we did?
Speaker 3: This was this real?
Speaker 1: My son texts me and he's like, did this really happen? And I was like, I think it did. I did the same thing.
Speaker 3: But I had people texting me that just said OMG or WT.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even know what they're talking about, right, Yeah, I just saw Luca.
Speaker 1: I think that was the first text I got. I can't believe they traded Luca. And I'm like, what you know looking around.
Speaker 2: Off season, Sam Darnold, you know what the Raiders doing. Chip Kelly just got hired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, I like that.
Speaker 1: I like Pete Carroll being the head coach there. You know, they're kind of a team that's in a little disarray. You get a guy in there that kind of lead them into the future in the right direction. How long that future will be, I don't know. But Pete can certainly energize an organization.
Speaker 2: But can you bring in Russell Wilson if you're pet Carroll, even though Russ tried to get Pete fired.
Speaker 1: And stay exactly no like other than that, nor Nor I mean, I don't think even from a football like decision making process, that's a logical thing to do. Right now, I would be shocked if he's back with the Steelers as the quarterback.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have him back. I would I would try with Justin Field.
Speaker 1: If you gave me the option of him or Justin Fields, I'd go there's more upside with Justin Fields. I think Russell maybe he gets another shock to be a starter somewhere. But if it does, it's gonna be something like Sam Donald was just a part of like, hey, we're gonna sign you, but we might draft a quarterback too, right, you're just gonna be a bridge guy. But I don't even know if that's gonna happen. It'll be interesting, Sam Donald will be interesting.
Speaker 3: That could see you paying Rock perty is your buddy.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Y Chanie gonna probably want me to talk about these subjects and say these things, but I wouldn't pay him, like pay him what you know what full vote, No way, no way, that's crazy. I think that's crazy. I this has to stop, you know, to me, like again, I'll go to the Dolphins too with two of fifty five million a year for what? Who was gonna pay him thirty five million a year? Well, they're negotiating against themselves, Like why no, nobody's gonna like go, oh my gosh, the forty nine ers didn't pay brock Purty. Let's trade the farm for him, or let's we'll break the bank for him. He's really good, But what's wrong with paying the quarterback thirty five million dollars a year when he's kind of the middle of the pack quarterback in the NFL. That's where I look at Brock Purty. I think he's about fifteen, sixteen, seventeen eighteen, somewhere in that range, you know.
Speaker 4: So I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. I wouldn't do that, And I think that's how teams are going to mess up their you know, their teams and their rosters for the future making those decisions.
Speaker 2: The Titans on record is talking about generational talent the top of the draft. Generational talent doesn't sound like the two quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: I don't know they are either, You're right, I mean, whether they talking about Travis Hunter maybe. I mean, I don't know if that's the guy they're trying to Carter or Abduall Carter, somebody like that. The quarterbacks, I do like them, I do now. I mean, do I like them as much as the top two guys as last year? And you know, I haven't gotten into studying these guys quite yet. But of course watch college football and I love Shador Sanders. I think he's old school. I mean, when I watch him, I think it's Doug Williams. He's just standing back there like I'm gonna throw a rifle down the field speed?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: How did that happen?
Speaker 1: I said that to my wife the other day. I was like, isn't it funny? His son's this big pocket passing quarterback, strong, makes good decisions, puts the ball wherever he wants, Slow as hell, slow as hell. Even Dean's the fastest human I've ever seen in a football field. Cam Ward's special too, though. I do like cam Ward. I do. Cam Ward's got a little more size to him than I thought. And of course his ability his arm is real to all the different angles, the strength of it, and then of course he can make people miss in the pocket to then throw the ball down the field too. He's pretty damn good.
Speaker 2: Can you see Dion influencing the draft? How would he influence the draft? I think he could influence it. Just you know, Dion's a master, right. I'm one of the reasons I wore number two is because of Dion. Dion and your slow is held hill so hell right. So all the quarterbacks that like Dion are slow and they're not like Deon.
Speaker 1: Right, That's why I dreamed it.
Speaker 3: Like you didn't want your Dan's number?
Speaker 1: I mean, I did for a little, but you know, when I got to like freshman year in high school, Dion and Derek Jeter were kicking some butt and I was like, no quarterbacks are wearing number two? And I was like, I'm going to be the guy that brings two to life, right, That's kind of what I thought. Of course, I didn't bring it much to life, but I literally almost tried to die in it when I lost my sling and all of it. But either way, imagine how history would have treated you.
Speaker 3: You left it all out on the field.
Speaker 1: Right right, I see Kyle Trask wearing two. I'm like, they didn't retire my jersey? What are they doing down there in Sampa? How could they do that to me? Only guy ever that almost died on the field. Where is your split? I guess in a garbage somewhere. You know, they didn't even let you keep it, no, would you? What do you think I was going to bring it home and put on like the trophy case and be like, hey, guys, look at this.
Speaker 3: You know I would have displayed Thomas did this to me. I would have displayed it.
Speaker 1: On the show. Honestly, I'm crazy enough that I probably would have, but yeah, I never got that option, and you know things were kind of emergency at that point, so yeah, that was it. Yeah, but Dean Ken influenced the draft. I think if his son tells him he's not feeling a spot or whatever like that, Dean will say it publicly or let the message out there that they're not in favor of it. And that's where I feel like he can sway things a little bit.
Speaker 2: We just had Ross Tucker on Last Hour and he of course covers the Eagles throughout the season. He's taking the Chiefs over the Eagles because he said, I can't go against Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes if it's.
Speaker 1: Going to be a one score game. I know that's the hard thing. There's no doubt the Eagles are better than the Chiefs, there's no doubt, but they have to be up by at least ten with too many Do you feel like they got to be like that? It's got to be one of those games twenty four. If it's thirty to twenty four, I'm gonna even sitting on the couch going, oh crap, they're in trouble. They're in trouble. Here he comes, here comes fifteen so yes, I agree with you. There. I'm gonna tell you I am. I feel like I'm leaning Eagles. I lied to you last year. Yeah, you did know because I got scared. I was kind of in between. And it was a Monday, and I was I was afraid that the Shanahans and all my family friends and all my Texas friends were gonna go, what the f You picked the Chiefs right on the Monday to start the Super Bowl. So I was like a little undecided. I was like, I think I'm gonna pick the Chiefs. But I came on here and said the forty nine ers, and then of course, as you saw on my shows and everything, I picked the Chiefs later in the week.
Speaker 3: Are you lying to me?
Speaker 1: I will not lie to you now. There's no There's no friends or family here that I'm worried about, right, there's no connections with the Paer the Chiefs. I don't know if I am. I think I'm going to take the Eagles. I think I'm going to take the Eagles. I'm going to go with the team that I think is the best. Now, the Chiefs continually can ruin that, and they've done that to me. I'm not sure, they've been the better team in any Super Bowl they've played yet, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but they've they've graduated to the Brady Belichick definitely.
Speaker 1: And they've graduated to like, wait, oh, this is a clutch moment. Do I have a pulse? Right? I Mean, that's that's where they're scary. When you win a super Bowl and you do it the way they did it, nothing can make them nervous anymore, Nothing like when I see them in Week eight and I'm like, these guys aren't nervous after three ten point deficits in the Super Bowl to come back and win. They don't give a crap about Week eight. We're down by four in the fourth quarter, and I don't think they'll care about this one. The start of the game is gonna be big in this because I do think the Eagles are going to manage emotions a little and the Chiefs are gonna be like, let's go. We've been here before. And that's where I do worry about the Eagles letting the game get away from them right out of the gate.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you, Always great to talk to you too.
Speaker 4: I'm Mike.
Speaker 1: Off of the end, did I hear Russ, I mean Ross sat there. No, No, he said first, I know he was going to what I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's alignment. I know to tell him where to go. Come on, Ross, We went to Princeton, smaller but not smart. Princeville smart like Chrissy looks smart but can't go Cross and Cross one.
Speaker 3: Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live co host.
Speaker 2: And contributed to Football Night in America his podcast Unbuttoned. We'll take a break. We'll get to your phone calls coming up right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 1: Final hour on.
Speaker 2: This Monday here in New Orleans, we'll talk to Brian Wyndhorst to the mother Ship, and Big Mike and Little Mike Goldick will stop by as well. More phone calls, we'll try to get to those as well. Always do every Monday, Best and worst to the weekend. What you saw that you like you didn't like?
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock. You can download the app if you haven't done so. Our radio affiliates iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio over four hundred cities carrying this program. Also, you can check out our YouTube channel as well, Each seven seven three DP show the big news obviously what the Mavericks and the Lakers did. So we'll talk to Wendy about that Super Bowl week underway.
Speaker 3: It's media night tonight.
Speaker 2: These teams are savvy enough to know there's probably not going to be Now there might be questions. I don't know if there'll be answers that will garner any headlines. Chip Kelly quietly leaves Ohio State for the Raiders offensive coordinator job, which was surprising as well. Pull question for the final hour before we get to Brian Windhorse Seaton, what are we going to go with?
Speaker 1: It might be right there. Would you rather work for Ohio State or the Raiders?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Both of them are great jobs.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll get phone calls coming up.
Speaker 2: Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at TP show busy man. Brian Windhorne kind enough to join as ESPN Senior NBA writer. Your reaction when you got that text or tweet was what Brian, Well.
Speaker 14: There was nothing. I mean when I say nothing there, I had no indication at all. You know, very rarely are people in my business totally surprised by a transaction. A lot of times we can't say everything we know. A lot of times we don't see all four corners of it. So well, here's something come out and we'll go, ah, I see the complete the pieces fall in place. It is very unusual that there's a transaction like this that comes clear out of the blue. There was nothing zero in the world, in our world about this. And I think as far as I and I believe that people are telling me, I mean, I, you know, reserve the right to say I have new information, But I don't think the players knew either. I really really don't believe that. I know that that's hard to believe. But that's how.
Speaker 5: Rare of an instance this is.
Speaker 14: And we're also talking about a situation where two in their prime star players are traded for each other. That does not happen in the history of the NBA. There's never been a current All NBA player traded for a current All NBA player in the middle of the season. We've definitely seen star players get traded. We've definitely seen shock star players get traded. We've never seen Star for star like this when it also when it involves the number one most popular franchise in the NBA and one of the most in the world. So the sequence of one off events here is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 3: Okay, but do we know the why? Like why did this happen?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 14: So I know that people, I know that there's a desire to say there must be more to it, and I can't. I don't have all of it. I can't say that there isn't. But I honestly believe the Mavericks came to a decision after really going through a frustrating year with Luca, and it's been a very frustrating year, and just to reset that they're coming off the finals, Luca comes to camp and immediately gets hurt. Now I'm not a doctor. I don't know everything about that injury, but I think they were frustrated that he had that injury and they thought that maybe he wasn't right necessarily ready for camp. After he gets that injury, he gets out of shape, out of shape to the point that when he comes back and plays healthy with the injury, they say he's shut down for a hand injury, and he was injured with that, but he also was getting in better shape. You know, when he came back, he had allowed himself to get more and more out of shape. Comes back, starts playing well again, and then repeats the injury. And again, I'm not a doctor, I'm not going to tell you that that was physical conditioning. But I suspect that they felt that they were not thrilled with the conditioning.
Speaker 5: So they go through a very frustrating year.
Speaker 14: But it's on top of other frustrations they had, and this summer he's gonna be a position to sign a three hundred and fifty million dollars super Max contract. Now, most of the time, teams celebrate when a player qualifies for this the Golden the Oklahoma City Thunder, for example, shake gildas Alexander has qualified for the Supermax. I believe he's eligible to sign it at six pm on June thirtieth. I promise you the paper book will be at his in his hands. Whether or not he signs it. I'm sure he will when he signs. I don't know, but I'm promising you the thunder. Are we going to fall all over themselves to get this guy locked up for that three hundred million dollar deal.
Speaker 5: Jason Tatum.
Speaker 1: They were ready to go.
Speaker 14: With a three hundred million dollar deal. They couldn't have been more excited to get this guy locked up. The whole purpose of that being in the CBA is so that you have a superstar player. He is outrageously incentivized to the tune of one hundred plus million dollars to stay with your team. It is basically the Kevin Durant rule for Lebron James rule, so that those guys will not leave for nothing. And even if you weren't one hundred and fifty percent sure you wanted to give him the money, the conventional wisdom would be you give him the contract anyway, so that if you want to trade him, you trade him with the five years on the contract so that the player can't leverage you in a trade.
Speaker 5: That's what happened with Dame Lillard.
Speaker 14: Lillard signs this five year contract, then the Blazers trade him so that he couldn't say, you got to trade me to Miami. They can trade him to the best place, which was Milwaukee in that case. Okay, and so for the Mavericks to do this now, it means that they didn't even want to enter into that contract with him, and it also means that they thought that they could do better this season now with Anthony Davis, that they think that if they did this season they did this deal now, that they could make a better run in the playoffs. And so it's a high level shocking and complete repudiation of Luka Doncic as a superstar franchise player, and it results in this trade, which is going to be a historic sliding doors moment.
Speaker 2: I think, okay, well, then give me the upside and the downside for the Lakers.
Speaker 5: So the Lakers.
Speaker 14: First off, the Lakers had a succession problem. Lebron is forty years old. Whether he's got a year or two left, he's on his way out. He's no longer a first team All NBA player. Anthony Davis is there, but he's aging too. And I would say that while I am a big, gigantic believer in that when you win a championship, it means never having to say you're sorry, and they have a championship, they have a banner and so, but the Lebron ad partnership, it hasn't been a glorious unmitigated success.
Speaker 5: It's been a success.
Speaker 14: They should have no regrets, no looking back, but it hasn't gone the way that the hopes and dreams were. So they had this challenge of how do they move on from Lebron at some point? How do they get their next star? And I thought that would be a problem for two years from now. This falls into their lap and they have to say yes. The direction of the French was not let's try to acquire Luka Doncic in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: It fell into their lap.
Speaker 14: They had to say yes, I know that there's been a thought, well, was there an issue with Lebron and Ad?
Speaker 5: Was there an issue with Ad and JJ Reddick? Was there an issue? No? The phone rang and they said do you want Luka Doncic?
Speaker 14: The answer is yes, And not only that while you are, you are recognizing that you are acquiring a player the other team is giving up on. They can now sign him to a contract this summer.
Speaker 5: Dan. That's one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 14: Less than what it would cost the Mavericks because he will not qualify for the Supermax and you get a twenty five year old Megastar on a quote unquote discount. He does have issues warts whatever, It's an absolute no brainer for the Lakers. They had to say yes. If they didn't say yes, everybody in the organization should.
Speaker 5: Have been fired.
Speaker 14: So that's where they are, that's where they are going forward.
Speaker 1: They are in a different.
Speaker 5: Reality now than they were five days ago. Their team is different.
Speaker 14: They got problems, they had to fix their roster, but they're no longer thinking about Lebron and a d They're not thinking about number seventy seven going forward.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Brian Winhors ESPN, senior NBA writer. I couldn't help but think of David Stern. Would David Stern have green lighted this.
Speaker 14: Oh, absolutely, because he saw it as an opportunity to get Luka Doncic into the Lakers for the next ten years. I mean I'm hearing from like I was talking to some NBA executives yesterday and they're like, Jesus Christ, the freaking Lakers like blah blah blah, and you know, and they're like, your bosses probably love it, and I go, you're damn right, that's true. And so the opportunity for the Lakers to you know, and this has happened throughout our whole lives. You know, Will Chamberlain, Kareem Ubdul Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neill. I mean, forget about the guys they drafted, forget about Kobe and Magic like you know Worthy, We're talking about guys that mid career Lebron Paul Gasol mid career arrived in LA. However, it happened and has labeled the franchise to continue its run of dominance.
Speaker 5: I was talking to one executive.
Speaker 14: Yesterday, not from the Clippers, and he was like, man, I feel for the Clippers today.
Speaker 5: They're about ready to get rid of Lebron.
Speaker 14: They've got this gorgeous arena, you know, they're establishing their own franchise. They're having this really positive their their neck and neck. They're about to pass the Lakers and the standings if they win tomorrow they're playing here in LA and then they get hit with this right hook that Luka Doncic is now going to be a Laker for the next decade. So but I do think on the whole, on the on the balance, maybe not to somebody in Oklahoma City or Minneapolis, it's an incredible development. For the league with the belief that Luca fulfills his potential, which is what the Mavericks are saying they don't think will happen.
Speaker 2: Bigger shock when Jordan went to play baseball or this Luca Anthony Davis.
Speaker 14: Do geez, Dan, you'd be better to ask answer that. I mean, when Jordan wants to play baseball was one of those things that was so crazy. I mean, people to this day are still trying to come up with a conspiracy theory for that.
Speaker 5: That was a bigger shock. I guess because magic becouse.
Speaker 14: Michael was in his career, in the middle of his career, and he went to go play minor league baseball. But this is a bigger shock in terms of what the effect that it had. Well not efecked on the league isn't even accurate. I guess Jordan was a bigger shock. But now we get to watch these players still play. Jordan left the league. The league, you know, was hurting from it. This is the league in theory can benefit from it.
Speaker 3: I know you're busy. Thanks for making time.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Dan, have a great week out there.
Speaker 2: That's Brian Windhorst, ESPN Senior NBA writer Paulie says, we have an emergency fill in the blank game, and it's NFL news, NFL breaking news. Okay, are you ready, Dan, Okay, fill in the blank emergency.
Speaker 3: Does this rival Luca to the Lakers?
Speaker 1: Paulie.
Speaker 7: No, but it's really high up there in the football world. Now, you're the only contestant in this game.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: Blank has requested the trade from Blank. Blank has requested the trade from Blank. Big time football player. Okay, Blank, here's a hint. He's frustrated because he's not playing in big time AFC title game.
Speaker 3: Lamar Jackson has asked to be traded.
Speaker 1: No, not a tick below that.
Speaker 3: Joe Burrow has asked to be traded.
Speaker 1: Not an offensive player. Miles Garrett has asked to be traded.
Speaker 7: Miles Garrett has requested the trade from the Cleveland Browns. He put out a statement less than five minutes ago, thanking the town.
Speaker 1: All I want to do is play in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: With that said, I'm officially requesting a trade from the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 1: Did he just realize that the Browns sunk? Like?
Speaker 3: Did he think they were going to get better?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think he did think they were going to get better. Yes, Yes, I think I give him a lot of credit for sticking it out this long. Like he tried, He really did, he tried. Yeah, and time is ticking. Yeah, I'm getting the hell out of here.
Speaker 2: But didn't they say that no matter what number of draft picks you give, they weren't going to give up Miles Garrett. Wasn't like you can give two first round picks. Yes, Paul, I think.
Speaker 7: I could quickly make the case this might be a good day for the Cleveland Browns if they can find a way out of Deshaun Watson's contract, which I have the feeling they're going to with some of the things he's been doing in the off season without a walking group, maybe, and if they get a haul for Miles Garrett, they could be set up for the future. Now what they do those draft picks, as you always said, Dan is the base of it. But they got the best of Miles Garrett. They're not going anywhere anytime soon. Might as well get the huge.
Speaker 1: Price for him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, people have asked, are am I going to talk about Justin Tucker the way I did Deshaan Watson? I said I would talk about the football part of this That's the most important part for me in what we do. It is looking worse. More people are coming out. If there's lawsuits here, will he be released by the raven Like, I'm not going to try this case. But it's the same thing with Deshaun Watson. Is it going to lead to him getting another job? Where's he gonna go? What do you get in return for him? Those are all the things that we covered. If Justin Tucker is guilty of this and he has to, you know, pay loss whatever it is, now fine, I'll cover that. I have to cover the football part of this. That's what we do here. It's not court TV, and I will cover this the way that we did Deshaun Watson. I did not get caught up in all the other ancillary stuff there. But Miles Garrett looking at the future there with the Cleveland Browns, They're gonna have another quarterback. I don't think Deshaun Watson ever plays for them again, and you start to wonder that in that division. You know, Baltimore is still good, Bengals are good, Steelers still going to be formidable as well, and the Cleveland Browns are going to be the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Miles Garrett has a real Dame Lillard quality to him, Like he tried, he tried to make it work with this franchise that wasn't doing great, and you know what, I got to move on and try to you know, brought on my horizons to try to get to.
Speaker 1: A super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Because he's one of those players that you don't see.
Speaker 2: You'll have to go out of your way to watch you and then you'll hear other players say, you know, he's best defensive player, he's unstoppable, meme, he's all these things. We just don't get to see him on a big stage. We got to see Aaron Donald win a Super Bowl and his play, the last play of that game helped them win a Super Bowl. Like that's what you want. You want great players playing in big moments, Yes, Marv.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because right now, if you're not a big time football fan, he's a snap your fingers guy. Like you know who else is really good? Who's my guy from from Cleveland?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And he doesn't want to be that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't blame him.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paulie, I love that We've spent last hour talking about huge football historical trades and this one happens during our show. This guy's five time All Pro in the past five years. He's twenty nine years old, and he's just showing no signs of the client.
Speaker 2: What's he worth? I don't know. The Golics will join us all I ask them? I mean, is it two first round picks and a player?
Speaker 1: And can the Lakers grab him too? Mavericks love this?
Speaker 2: Stay if the Mavericks were running the Browns? And do you want Miles Garrett too? And I've seen Miles play basketball. He's a really good basketball player. All right, we'll get the phone calls. The Golics will join us on this Monday. We'll take a break. We're back after this on The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 3: We go to dinner last night.
Speaker 2: On the way to dinner, Paul, he's telling me about how great the Flag Football game was NFC AFC.
Speaker 7: I said, I just can't Paul, I can't. I don't know if you use the word great, shockingly decent. It was competitive and fun and they had a lot of fun micing up people in comparison to the last few actual Pro Bowls with physicality air quotes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was fun, it was lighthearted.
Speaker 2: The NFC did win over the AFC and they won the Pro Bowl games.
Speaker 3: They also won the relay race and the Tug of War.
Speaker 2: AFC won the Punt Perfect event as well.
Speaker 3: In case you're just joining us, where have you been?
Speaker 2: Miles Garrett has asked the Cleveland Browns to trade him. I thought the Cleveland brown said that no matter what you gave them, gave him a couple of first time draft picks, they wouldn't be trading him. But he just made that public and sent out a statement basically saying goodbye to the Cleveland Browns and the city of Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Next up is the Golicks.
Speaker 2: The father son team known for their football and great job on their Draft Kings podcast. One of them seems to be getting smaller as he gets older, the other one not so much.
Speaker 1: Here's Mike Golick and Mike well like junior.
Speaker 3: Yeah look at that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 8: That's some great writing, right, Yeah, appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeahs accurate?
Speaker 3: Accurate?
Speaker 2: No, you know, not wrong, especially not this week. But you know he goes by Big Mike, and you're bigger than big mind.
Speaker 15: The the worst part about working with my dad has been the full head of hair and the weight loss. Like, as my dad has gotten healthier, who wouldn't want that for their parents?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 15: Doing well late in life as my dad goes to his remaining years and is taking as good a care of himself as.
Speaker 1: He can remaining years. Yeah, you know, are you in hospice?
Speaker 8: Oh my god?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean what is he he's leading? I have a leash on like the kids in the in the mall. Yeah, he puts a leash on me this expedition. You know, he's he talks so much better than I ever talked. He's smarter than I ever was my only comeback whenever he to me his live hair, it.
Speaker 8: Goes to the well on that early and all that work.
Speaker 1: Really sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you fought right now.
Speaker 10: Oh, tell him tell him about when it when it's the change over.
Speaker 15: This was easter I think my junior year of college. So I'm you know two ninety five best shape in my life. Dad's i mean double digit shoulder surgeries and he's begun the weight loss journey. But we're back at my grandmother's house, the house he grew up in in Willowick, Ohio, and we had gone back and forth and he had always said, whenever you think you're ready for it, we'll go out there. And he's a former collegiate wrestler, so he said, we'll go out there and we'll see if you can get up from off the mat. We did it in his front yard in jeans and polos, after my grandmother had cooked us Easter brunch, and I.
Speaker 8: Embarrassed him in front of his entire childhood neighborhood.
Speaker 10: He did, he did in front of the whole neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was it. That was it.
Speaker 3: You know, aout watching he knows rob the weak spots, well, that has to be.
Speaker 2: Hellie Long probably had this same moment, Yes, exactly his voice.
Speaker 10: Yes, Oh, I'm sure it. It's just a matter of when it changed over. If you ask how, he's going to say it never changed over, but we know it does.
Speaker 1: He probably had that that that horseshoe.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's exactly there. That dude looks so good in the uniform. I we were both the linemen and that's where the that's where the sameness.
Speaker 2: Entends, all right, Miles Garrett speaking a defensive lineman, has basically said goodbye to the city of Cleveland and the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 3: What's he worth on the open market?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 10: I mean remember when he came in the league and there were there were executives that thought he was too philosophical to be a dog in the league.
Speaker 1: Dinosaurs, I mean unbelievable.
Speaker 10: Well, the thing about it is Dan is how much power does an NFL player have? We know basketball players have power, but how much power does an NFL But he has years left on his contract, so how much power can he actually wield? It's going to have to be the business decision on the side of the Browns to say do we want to just force him to stay or do we want to say, okay, he wants to be gone, get the best deal we can get.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean he's got to be worth you know, I mean as close to quarterbly vices and trades where you're talking about first rounders are multiple unders, especially as you said, they've got control if you've got him and you've got three years left on a deal and he's in the prime of his career, a player like that, who is in you know it's him, Michael Parsons, t J. Jononds, These guys that are true game wreckers that every offensive coordinator has to spend the first and last moments of their meetings talking about. There's really not a price too high to pay. I think at this point for a guy.
Speaker 2: Like where does Jalen Carter come into that conversation with these defensive lineup.
Speaker 10: Jalen Carter has entered superstar status. You know that was kind of Chris Jones, Aaron Donald obviously before he left. Chris Jones lining up a d tackle also at edge on third downs. But Jalen Carter is what he does with Chris Jones? Does they play on the other side of the line. And that's what I meant, God Rest the soul guy played with Jerome Brown as an interior D lineman played on the other side of the line, and it always does and show up in stack.
Speaker 3: What do you mean the other side of the lone.
Speaker 10: He plays on the offensive in the offensive backfield makes penetration. Okay, it will make penetration on the center or the guard, and a lot doesn't get sacks, well get to And the thing is about it, sacks is kind of outdated. Now, it's pressures, it's it's for it's it's pressure shows up in the stat book, but it's also on a running attack. If you make a running back go east and west and he can't go downhill, that doesn't show up in a stat book, but everybody on film knows it, especially the interior offensive line.
Speaker 15: We kind of went through that in the run game a little bit. I forget who it was over at ESPN Analytics that kind of tried to do that, Hey, maybe Aaron Donald's actually not as good of a run defender.
Speaker 8: As you all thought. And we all promptly sent that one back.
Speaker 15: And I love you know, Seth Walder and those guys do a phenomenal job, but we're like, maybe we've overcooked this, yeah, a little bit too much. Ninety nine's in the opposing backfield with that color showing up almost every other play, and Jalen Carter's kind of there and he's got a little bit more like sand in his pants, Like that's a guy. And when Aaron Donald comes out and says, I think he told the Sean McCoy that's the new me, Like the next me has arrived in the NFL.
Speaker 1: That's really all you need to know. And sand in your pants is just a little.
Speaker 8: More wait, a little more wait. Letting your pencil, Aaron.
Speaker 4: Your pencil.
Speaker 10: Family, that's a that's the we're talking about the area here, it'll.
Speaker 1: Be on the show.
Speaker 3: Get up, Come on now?
Speaker 10: Where you sending this show?
Speaker 4: Mike? What are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 8: That one young said it?
Speaker 1: So which one's big?
Speaker 4: Mike? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Mike Golic Senior and Junior Here a host of Gojo and Golic on Draft Kings Network. Here the team more likely to blow out the other team in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 10: Well, I think it's Kansas City. Even though they've won double digit one score games. They have the ability with homes with Xavier Worthy, who can be a home run every time he touches a ball, I think to get that two to three score lead, I don't think they will. I'm actually going in Philadelphia with Philadelphia in this game. God knows why I betting against Kansas City. I mean, if we.
Speaker 3: Didn't we do this with Brady all the time.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing.
Speaker 10: I only have a few more years in this business. Yeah according to Mike, Yeah, I'm in hospice. Yeah so, but I do think that Kansas City has more of the ability to blow off photo.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I would actually go opposite. I'm picking Kansas City to win the game. But if you ask me gamescript wise, who would be in a position, I think it's still just all the time you can do that roster. I think between Saquon Barkley and the home run threat there and what we saw me in the NFC Championship Round A J. Brown kind of reminding everyone there were points early in this season when even amidt Saquon Barkley's you know, MVP caliber year, people were like, that might be the most important player on the team when it's all said and done. So, I think they'd be the team that would be more likely to if this thing went away and sideways. It would be because they put there for You're wrong, Okay, nailed it, flawless victory.
Speaker 4: It's my analysis.
Speaker 1: He's wrong.
Speaker 2: If Saquon Barkley doesn't win the MVP, will a running back win an MVP in our lifetime?
Speaker 3: Now, your lifetime is not that much.
Speaker 10: Well, I was going to say, I got a couple more Super Bowls in me let's year.
Speaker 3: Ten years, will a running back win the MVP?
Speaker 10: I mean, you look, it was the year of the running back change in teams from Henry to Saquon to Joe Mixon to Josh Jacobs. But I don't think the value is going to increase in the contracts because of it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 10: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think Saquon is the.
Speaker 10: One unless Derrick Henry has another Now he's going to be over thirty next year. Unless Baltimore finally reaches a Super Bowl and he has another year like he had, he in my eyes, would be the only one, unless you get a back that catches the ball out of the backfield like a Christian McCaffrey, if he's ever healthy again.
Speaker 2: This is the perfect, perfect story. Giants don't want him. We see it on TV unfold right before very eyes. He goes to the Eagles and that offensive he changed their offense.
Speaker 3: Oh, without question, you rush for two thousand yards.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I know Lamar was great and Josh was great as well. But if you like, value is such a weird word.
Speaker 1: If I it feels like.
Speaker 2: The value of what he did for that Eagles team and Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 1: Two thousand yards.
Speaker 2: I think if he had gotten the record, then I think people would have it would have been easier for the voters to go, well, he did.
Speaker 10: Set the I think if he were I had said on the show, if he'd gotten the record, he'd get the MVP. I thought he would have got the MVP over Lamar who.
Speaker 3: I think he chose not to get the MVP.
Speaker 10: He chose and the team kind of session.
Speaker 4: Decision it was.
Speaker 10: And if there's a record that can go down in the Super Bowl, Mike and I talked about it this morning, it's either three rushing touchdowns where you could tie, or about three or four guys have it, because you saw Saquon and Jalen both get three touchdowns in the championship game. But how about the rushing record two hundred and four yards Timmy Smith back in Super Bowl what twenty two for you youngsters that will not you know, remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Fritzy remembers it.
Speaker 4: Was ten nothing Broncos in that game.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah, but two hundred and four yards Now, I don't know if Sakwan that he's.
Speaker 3: Gonna get Terrell Davis's all time single season.
Speaker 10: He needs twenty nine yards. I think for that, Yeah, they're nine yards time.
Speaker 15: I mean it's it's something to Dan's original question, I'll say, yes, we will. Like I wouldn't have thought so before, but we've kind of seen the pendulum swinging back.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 15: We're five years from moving from This is a pat in space league. It's like the new SEC West where Hey, everyone that we thought was playing this physical brand of football before turned it into eleven personnel nickel defenses and then everyone said, oh wait a minute, everyone got really light on defense. Let's go and run it right down their throat. And so you combined that, I think reinvesting inside the trenches for a lot of people with an influx of young running back talented like Jon Robinson in a couple of years could be in that situation. If things don't materialize in Atlanta, maybe he's a guy that.
Speaker 8: The team in the right spot with the right line goes for.
Speaker 15: I mean, we're getting ready to watch one of them right now come out in the NFL Draft this year.
Speaker 8: So you've got a few young guys that.
Speaker 15: Could be in that position talent wise, if they land in the right situation breakthrough.
Speaker 2: When we look at you know, Lebron will never be greater than Michael Jordan in people's eyes, But can Patrick Mahomes be greater than Tom Braid? There's not this love affair for Brady that they're the admiration. The fandom for Mike was different. Oh, but you know, can Mahomes be looked at as better?
Speaker 3: What's he have to do to be better than.
Speaker 10: Totalra Listen, I think I think two things. I mean, you think of that the Patriots, how they were run by Belichick, nobody said anything, and you look Kansas City, they're fun. Andy Reid, Andy Reid, I hate to go away from your question. Andy Reid's going to be the winning his coach in the NFL. He's going to pass Donchula. He needs forty seven wins twelve and four years.
Speaker 4: He can do that.
Speaker 10: He needs three wins to pass Belichick for most playoff wins.
Speaker 4: He's going to be the winning.
Speaker 10: At coach pat While I disagree with it, quarterback and Super Bowl are joint and get the hip the number you win so and the number you lose kind of like you know, Lebron with the number is loss as opposed to Jordan not losing any So I think Mahomes can reach Tom's because he's what twenty eight, And I mean I think he could reach Tom's level for sure.
Speaker 3: I thought he has to get to that number.
Speaker 10: I think he has.
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 10: I think he can get to a little less. But if he gets there, I think he's gonna have it. But they're just more fun.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 10: We are getting Kansas City chief fatigue, right, kind of like Tiger Woods fatigue, Golden State fatigue. You know, you're kind of hoping somebody else wins. But I mean they're a dynasty.
Speaker 15: I forget who I had the conversation with, but I think our introduction to Pat was so different than with.
Speaker 1: Tom, like they shock drop pad on us.
Speaker 15: We got the seven Patriots right out of the gate with this version of Kansas City, and now we're getting to like the early one to oh two ones where it's more default, grind it out, like the career arcs different. So even now as defense last year was the story for this team, and this year it's been and you know, poison close moments and still a lot of the defense leaning on it, Like Pat's gonna get a lot of that credit because he showed us early on. He's the reason why everything goes around there. So I don't think it's going to take matching that same number leaving the way Tom did at the end to beat all that. I think if Pat's close, based on the ability, because he gives us that Aaron Rodgers ability. Like you guys, remember we had that conversation all the time, the best of all time versus the greatest of all time, because Brady had all the accomplishment, but Aaron Rodgers had all the ability. We got the dude with both now, So if you're just close, I think they'll give that tie to him.
Speaker 2: And it's weird that I thought about Joe Montana for such a long period of time. You see him walking down the street, you'd say, that's the greatest quarterback of all time.
Speaker 3: Tom comes along. Now he loses that identity.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Now Patrick Mahomes comes along, he goes down the totem pole there a little bit. It's kind of and he never lost, but still it's one of those where you lose your identity a little bit, and.
Speaker 10: And you see Jordan didn't. Jordan is six and zero and Jordan's still the top dog. Joe Montana. Maybe it's our age, Dan. Maybe Joe's because he's our age, you know, according to Mike, and you know, losing the identity.
Speaker 15: Talk about Dan, I'm talking about you. Yeah, Oh Dan, young, spry, full of life.
Speaker 14: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: But you're right about Joe. He just keeps keeps falling down the totem pole a little bit.
Speaker 15: Joe seems we're doing all right though every year Notre Dame comes out with a new partner with some liquor company and Joe's face Joe, no, but right.
Speaker 2: Thompson had a deep dive on Joe Montana and it's a couple of years ago, but it really was illuminating that you so much is attached to your legacy, like who you are, and then all of a sudden, you're not that, And I don't know, it just made him, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then I talked to.
Speaker 2: Him about it, and you know, he's not sharing in his you know, his awards, they're not around right like he just I don't know, and he was all banged up. He went through hell with his body, and I don't know. For some reason, the greater that mahomes is and Brady has been the like Dan Marino.
Speaker 3: I think Dan Marino is one of the you know, you.
Speaker 1: Can say influential quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Of all time.
Speaker 4: Completely agree.
Speaker 2: He was doing five wide in the eighties, like he was so far ahead of everybody.
Speaker 10: Quickst release. I've I played with and against one of your teammates for a year, but that's one of the reasons. And I chose not to be one of the greatest players because.
Speaker 8: I didn't want to them go through losing.
Speaker 4: My identity.
Speaker 1: Accomplished it. Yeah, yeah, damn will Dare not.
Speaker 8: All your dreams, kids, just set them dangerously.
Speaker 3: Low, and your son has followed in your fell.
Speaker 1: Lower.
Speaker 4: I was like, what the NFL now?
Speaker 8: No, No, let's you know, bottom out in college.
Speaker 4: As they call it a day.
Speaker 2: It's Mike Senior, Mike Junior ones Big Mike, co host of Gojo and Golic on DraftKings Network. It's great to see you, guys. My best to the family, certainly your wife, and we'll come back. We'll close up shop. Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store right after this