Speaker 1: Okay, man, bro, thank you for being here, Thanks for having me making the drive at.
Speaker 2: The long two hours and fifteen minutes. It's supposed to be two forty five. But God hasn't sanctified my speed limit driving yet. Okay, He's working on me. Okay, obeying all the laws and ordinance of man.
Speaker 1: I understand that's one of the last things to be sactified in. So I was telling my son Lincoln, who's eleven, and I was like, you know my buddy Heath Evans, Yes, sir, you know he's coming for the podcast today. He is, Yeah, you know, he's Super Bowl winner, right. He goes who did he play for? I was like, well, Patriots for one, and he goes, Daddy, you think he has Tom Brady's cell phone number. I was like, that's that's where your mind's going like that.
Speaker 2: I'm just God's he's affectionate towards Tom Brady and got some YouTuber or something, you know. To me, you know, he's got a real hero.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's this is part of my bigger frustration and maybe you know this. Kids these days don't have teams anymore. They have players. Yeah, have you seen that trend?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, so our four adopted little's right, I got I got two loyal boys to Dad, and then I've got the oldest loyal boy to mom. So he's a suffering Cowboys fan just because Mom was born here in Texas. So she's of course got a roof for the Cowboys and the little Noel. She just she's just Mama's girls. So it just is what it is. So, yeah, those boys they love Daddy's teams or they love Mama's team, and all all of our teams collectively, Cowboys, Patriots, Saints, we're just we're on struggle street these days.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, I know. And and so that's I can't make a better argument with Lincoln because I'm like, look at the Cowboys. Never mind, don't want to get Cowboys, you know, don't do that. But it is frustrating that that he's like he knows every player on every team and every number, but there's no team loyalty. Yeah, this is this is something I think it goes back to, like in ol nil stuff because there look at those guys. Those guys don't have loyalty either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we see it really across the landscape of sports. But when you look at SEC football and the NIL and this transfer portal, it's kind of crippled. What made the SEC so beautiful. It's also what made my Patriots team so beautiful. That it was just you had fifty three alpha dogs that all just laid it down for each other. There wasn't like we're not trying to get out of here and go here, but no, no, no, how do we sacrifice for each other? How do we put the team first? How do we work hard? How do we do our stinking jobs so that everyone gets glory? And that's why we won so much and that is gone. And it's like, you know, Auburn, you're trapped there for three or four years, right because if you transfer then when I was playing, you had to sit out a year. Nobody wanted to sit out from playing football for a year, but Auburn, we just had a bunch of just tough old dudes, right, and we were good my junior year. But you know, Auburn's somewhat of a football program. Now we're a basketball program. Bruce Pearl's turn around our.
Speaker 1: Football team number one right now?
Speaker 2: Install you know what I mean, I love it, you know, I'm just I love all burn through and through. But we'll leave that football discussion for another day.
Speaker 1: It's hard, yeah, if we will, and hopefully you'll be back many times if you ask. But yeah, that the college football climate has changed so much that you know, me, I'm such a huge fan of Texas A and M, but it's very difficult to remain a good fan in this climate.
Speaker 2: Well, you used to recruit a young man and you would speak to his parents and you try to figure out what were the priorities of this young man. Did he want to grow in manhood? Did he want to grow in discipline and integrity and character? And the good college coaches were really trying to pinpoint. Okay, hey, is this dude a stud athlete? Great, because we need those, but is this kid going to lay it on the line, you know, for me and the staff and the the players around him? You know? And now, like you listen to Nick Saban talking about how recruiting, how hard it got, right, I was so surprised to see Belichick jumping this un spool, you know, in the college ranks now having to recruit on a kind of a one year term and try to build a college program around it. So be interesting to see. But the selflessness is the most beautiful thing in the world, and it's really how soul was satisfied being like Christ. And yet everything that's being sold now is about selfishness. And these kids, you can't make them happy. They'd ever find satisfaction if they get the first little lick of adversity. Oh, I'm not starting as a freshman. I'm out of here. We're raising a bunch of losers and a bunch of quitters, and it's the opposite of what college football used to be.
Speaker 1: Did you hear that Nick Saban bit about transactional verse transformational? He did it on College Game Date several months ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've probably heard something about you him and Bill Belichick's stories that they're all the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally. But really this is kind of when he's spoken out a lot about why he's not in coaching anymore. Oh I know, yeah, but he also talked about his success happened when he realized the difference between transactional coaching, which is input output I need this, I need a win, and transformational, like, regardless of the outcome of the game, we're making life transformations here together, and I want you to leave the school, being a better man than you started, and in the process of that, they started winning games. And that's exactly what you're saying. Transformational coaching. It's out, it's only about transactions. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, how you win it, life and even how we win in the Christian faith is about perseverance. It's about selflessness, it's about working hard. It's about not seeking your personal glory but a greater glory. And football is not that difficult. It's just really really hard and painful, and life is often that way, right, But the simplicity of the truth that a Nick Saban teaches or that a Bill Balichick taught us. You know, we think about, you know, our kind of four commands when we came in every single day, Let's do your job right. Well, that seems pretty easy. But then when you start breaking that down into what that cost a person, that's really really hard. And then you start talking about working hard. Sure, let's work hard, Well, what does working hard mean? It's going to cost you everything during the course of the season to truly work hard put the team first. Yeah, hoorah. Selflessness. It's really really hard to be selfless, especially when selflessness cost you playing time because that's what's better for the team. You know, when Tom Brady went down in two thousand and eight, my playing time kind of went out the window. You know what, Tommy, we could do a little bit of everything. Well, Matt Castle comes in, who had never played really in the league before, never even really played at USC, and Bill's like, all right, hey, listen, I'm putting you on all four special teams can't really use a full back because I gotta spread everything out. I gotta let math cast. We'll kind of see the field. So you've got to be ready to play. I'm not going to give you any reps at practice. I trust you, I love you, but hey, you gotta be ready for this, this and this. But you know your full back reps. You're thirty forty full back reps. You might see the field ten or twelve snaps of game now. And that was kind of the story for me in two thousand and eight. Happy to do it one because I've been raised by a marine dad who had taught me that before I got to Bill. But everyone in New England lived by that motto what's best for the team and learning to put yourself aside into sacrifice for the benefit of others is really one of the great joys of the Christian faith. But for those that would deny our Christ, it's still the only way to find somewhat of satisfaction and pleasure in this life is building something around people so that at least when you get to the mountaintop, you're not all alone, because most people get there and they're miserable. Well, we know the story, we need Jesus, but freedom those that would deny the faith better together. That's sweet, you know, just building something for me, me, me. Those are the loneliest, most selfish, miserable people in the world.
Speaker 1: You know. That's the story of the fullback. Really, I mean, the big number forty four fullback is not something someone strives to be now. Yeah, it's like I gotta like do the grunt work. I got to get the small yardage. I don't get to get the big play. I don't know if I want that.
Speaker 2: And so many of the teams don't even have them anymore, right, you know, And the game is.
Speaker 1: You might be the last generation of the of the great fullbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What's funny is is most of the time we get to this playoff season and like the final eight teams. I've always said six of them are going to have a fullback, you know, and we're really starting to get to the point where that's just not the truth anymore. And so I can't keep up with this game. You know, the high school is kind of overtaken the college and NFL ranks. It used to be the opposite, right, the high school or coaches used to kind of look to the NFL, Hey, what are they doing? And you learn this pedigree of football that made you smart and mentally and physically and emotionally disaip. Now it's like, hey, where's the best athlete. Let's throw them a quarterback and then let's pay play this chaotic brand of football and just run around and hope we win. That's really what it.
Speaker 1: Is, and that's what's happening in high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's what's kind of we see in college, and it's what we see in the NFL. Brady talks about it all the time. The lack of mental and emotional growth really cripples these guys by the time they get to the pro game. I don't ever want to be one of those old school guys. Oh it's tougher when we did it right, we talk about rules and all stuff. I'm not sure much of that really matters. But we could trust Tommy at any point in time because he was so mentally astute and so mentally prepared, because he had worked hard and he had put the team first and he did do his job that if we were in a bad play that Josh McDaniels called or Bill called, Tommy was going to get us in a good call. And the way that team worked most of the time, we'd all be walking up to that line of scrimmage together saying, oh, this is a bad call, and we'd all be kind of thinking the same thing. Tommy would get us into that good play. Well, now you've got players there that you know, they've just been the best athletes. They've never been taught to shift protections. They've never been taught to look at a defense and be like, oh, well they're in some nickel package. They can't possibly defend what we have coming. So I know my first read is going to be blocked because of this. Second two and three are gonna be wide open. People aren't taught the hard disciplines of the game, and it starts with oh I didn't get my way and so piece I'm out of here. I'm like, I don't listen. I'm not raising my three boys that way. I have raised my three girls that way. And it's just, uh, yeah, I don't know. It's taking a lot of the sweetness out of football in a lot of ways. For me.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine, man, because I see it and I'm not in the game. I saw Tyreek Hill talking about something about, you know, they didn't make the playoffs, and he was talking to something along the lines of, man, I think I think I'm out of here. Yeah, it's not me. I'm not a guy that doesn't make the playoffs. It was me, me, me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh man, it's bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially for a team. Many people have been affected by cancer, and so I don't ever want to be that consideration. Say it, I get it, but cancer has to be killed, right, and it has to be killed radically or it's going to grow radically, right, And there's really there's no neutral ground. It's the same way with bad teammates. And Bill knew that in New England. We knew that in New Orleans. And so no matter how talented a player may be, that whining, that grumbling that complaining it's a cancer, right, and it eventually it spreads, and so you can take a good dude, and if you surround him with too many cancers, that good dude's going to become a cancer in your locker room. And Bill was cutthroat. First round draft pick or seventh round draft pick, if you weren't abiding by the law, you were gone, no matter what it cost the team, because Bill knew it might cost us fifty million now, but if I let this fifty million dollar cancer stay, it's going to be one hundred million dollar cancer like that. And so it was cutthroat about Hey, we would call it dealing with sent We're going to be radical with it and move on. And there were so many things as I kind of like for the Lord to save me. And I look back on so much of Bill's teaching in the way he built his teams. It's so biblical in nature. He would never he would never say that, right. His is more militaristic, given from his dad and just his background, but it is it's built on selflessness, and the law of the Lord was evident throughout the preaching and the dynamics of that team. We were just doing it for team glory and self glory and not the glory of God.
Speaker 1: So you're not a Christian when you play football.
Speaker 2: I thought it was. I mean, I was team chapelain. I was leading chapels and I wasn't living hypocritically. Really right, you're the chaplain. I was just in New England. So when I got to New England, my buddy Don Davis, faithful man of God Bill was he guarded the locker room and he guarded the property and so just getting a chaplain on site was hard, and so they had always just kind of done it in house, so faithful brother would just kind of step up and they would lead it. So as Don kind of went about his way, I kind of filled the void, me and my buddy Ben Watson. And then when I went to New Orleans, I kind of brought that same type of concept of like, hey, let's we're a team. Let's build this in house. And so, of course I had sin in my life, and of course I knew that, but I was raised by godly parents. But I was raised to believe that we choose Jesus. And for the first you know, I was saved and baptized at eight years old set a sinner's prayer, and from eight to thirty eight I was convinced that I was a boarding en believer. My life at that point probably had one season that people would have been like, ah, he just walked away from the Lord and season of sin, call it lukewarm, whatever. But there was no ever intentional like hypocrisy in my life. My dad just raised me to be disciplined and this is what godly looks like, and this is what repentance is. And so we would confess and we would do those things, and I truly believe my mom and dad do them from a regenerated heart. I did it because it was just what I was raised to do, and I knew that this was true. At thirty eight, I just had a radical encounter with the living God who saved my soul.
Speaker 1: You can't leave it like that, you can't.
Speaker 2: Leave I've had such a blessed life, you know, from parents to pastors to the NFL. God's graciousness to me is common, just grace to me. I mean, I had it all. I had everything that a young man needed to love God and walk faithfully and to fear him. And in so many ways, Buddy from generosity, with the financial blessings and the mouthpiece to boast about Christ. I did all those things right, and I knew it right, and I knew that this was the way to eternal life. Right. But the Lord through some really painful times at I don't even know where to start. Long story short, at thirty eight years old, myself, Marshall, Falk, Lawren Sab, Donovan McNabb, a whole group of us, some of our executives were accused by one woman of sexual harassment.
Speaker 1: So you worked for the NFL network network.
Speaker 2: For those of you all listening, ten years in the NFL, I was the chubby white boy that everyone said would never play in the NFL. I was like, screw you, watch this. I got this, you know, arrogant as can be, and of course, praise God all the way. This is his doing. YadA YadA, Yeah, of course, of course right. I always said I wanted to play ten years and then reevaluate and then go into TV. By God's common grace to me, it's exactly what I did. I played ten years, jumped off the train physically healthy, had offers from ESPN and NFL networks. So I'm like, oh my gosh, you make a lot of money. Just run in your mouth about this game, way better than taking a fullback beating. So I do that for eight years at NFL Network and was building a very strong brand for a form of fullback. Fullbacks don't get these gigs. It's quarterbacks and superstars. I worked with Dion Sanders and Kurt Warner and all those guys. And I was divorced from my first wife and it ended in twenty fifteen, but it had ended years previously, just kind of that long, arduous years of process of kind of finishing. But after my ex wife left, it took about eight months before I just I looked like the world, and I loved my sin, and I practiced my sin, and I was really good at practicing my sin. And because I didn't really truly know the word of the Lord right, and because I didn't have keen theologically sound eyes bringing me the proper rebukes in scripture, I just thought I was a Christian string a Christian that is wandering. I was not being disciplined by the Lord. In twenty eighteen, this lady accused myself and those other names I mentioned of sexual harassment, and I hit rock bottom really, really quick. The way it went down was I was innocent. The league knew it. I had given them my phone, my email, they knew it all. They paid me a lot, a lot of money for nine months to keep my mouth shut. I'm like, hey, do I need to hire a lawyer?
Speaker 1: Like keep your mouth shut about? What?
Speaker 2: Well? This was the thing, right, and so I'm the fullback, I'm the Bill Belichick guy. I'm the one loyalty team. The NFL has sped my family and blessed me severely for eighteen years at this point, and so Hr calls me in and they're like, hey, so and so it has accused you of sexual harassment. I'm like, what great. Sure, I whip out my phone and I'm like, look at all these texts from this lady tell me she loves me, she misses Ava, Naomi, my daughters, asking me to train her physically, all this stuff. And they're like, oh, would you give us as I'm like, sure you have whatever. They're like, do you have any other pictures of her shoulder? All these pictures of us together or babysitting my children, all this stuff, right, and then gave them all access to my email, Like, hey, how can I help you guys? Right, So they're like, basically, okay, we see what's going on. We're so sorry this is happening. You know, please, you know, we can't ask you not to make any statements, but but we'd ask you just let us what's good for you is best for us, and what's best for us is good for you. And I'm like, I need to hire a lawyer, and like, well, we can't tell you not to, but you know, our team is on it, and we appreciate your cooperation and what. And so for nine months they pay me almost a half a million dollars just so I was never suspended without pay. They knew clearly I had not sexually harassed anyone. I don't know about everyone else. I'm not going to speak about everyone else. I know this woman dearly. She was a hurting, sweet, kind lady in certain ways, and I don't know why she would do that to me. This side of eternity and what God has taught me, I have no ill will towards her. I have no ill will to the people down up on network. But the end of the day, they strung me along for nine months and then tried to get me to sign some paperwork that I would never sue them or sue her, and then try to get me to just pay me to go away. And I wasn't saved at that time, but I was like, you're not taking my voice because I'm not going to sign this paperwork because to the whole world, if I signed this non disparagement agreement makes me look like I'm guilty of something I didn't do. Yeah, I was not walking in sexual purity and I hadn't been pure with that lady, but I had not done anything that was illegal, and I had not done anything that was of the sexual harassment nature even close to it. Sure, and I just said, screw y'all, y'all fire me, do whatever you want. Well, they spent about a month trying to negotiate with my lawyer to get me to sign something to take some pay out. Hey, we'll pay out your contract if you signed this, YadA, YadA YadA, and I just said, y'all fire me whatever. So they ended up firing me for a fitness picture that I had on their NFL network phone that said if this ever got out, this would embarrass the NFL. So they fired me for just cause because I had some check in fitness pictures of myself on my phone front and back that were I was naked their fitness pick. There was nothing sexual of them whatsoever. And so yeah, long story short, fast forward. I know enough. At that point, I'm like, I've been through a divorce, lost half of everything I had, I'm living in LA, can't move, funds ran out real real quick. All these different things kind of hit rock bottom. I'm reading in First John. I get to the end of First John and I'm like, holy moly, I'm not a Christian. I don't love God, I don't love others.
Speaker 1: Remember what it was?
Speaker 2: And well, in First John, there's this I tell our built ready guys, it's like a test. Yeah, it lays out love God, love others, and this obedience to your supposed king will not be a burden. It's gonna be a battle. We're gonna struggle with sin, We're going to constantly have to run to the rock of Christ to ask for forgiveness. But it isn't going to be a burden that weighs your old down to follow your king. And I'm like, man, I've just loved God for what He's given me, and it was never Jesus that I loved because I never truly saw my need for Jesus, because I didn't see myself as the dude in the ditch that the good Samaritan had to rescue his life. I could do nothing for myself. I needed Jesus to drag me out of the pit, mend me, put me back together, pay for me to be made well, and then I can go out being that good Samaritan by God's grace. I never saw myself the one. I didn't see myself as helpless. I didn't see myself as dead. I didn't see myself as hater of God, enemy of God, me running from God and Jesus and chasing down me like he did Adam and Eve. And so eyes started to be open to the true Gospel, not the American Gospel, not the gospel I even really fully grew up around. But then I got to like, man, yeah, I've looked like a loved a lot of people, charity work, and because I knew this is what you do. But the whole time it was Heath Evans discipline. Just kind of pulled myself up on my bootstraps, getting to work, love God, love people, right, Obey and so it was. It was the full back mindset. I'm just gonna go do to work and I'm gonna find a way to get it done. But when I got to the kicker, I'm like, yeah, I've obeyed, but it's always been a burden. It's always been a burden to obey him. And I started to buy God's grace piece this thing together. It's like, oh my gosh, I'm not even saved, and.
Speaker 1: You put this together yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, heck no, it was all sir, I understand it, And no I wish because at this point, I'm going to a false church. Like it's been about Maybe I can't remember all the exact dates, but it's probably been somewhere between four to six weeks post being fired, Right, I've run back to the Lord because I know this is my refuge in time of help, my ever present help in time of need. Like I knew these things, right. So I went back to reading my Bible every day, but this time the Lord opened my eyes to it for real. And so as I'm like striking these things, and I'm like, WHOA. And when I kind of came to this realization that I'd just never been saved. Thoughly, spirit was like, yeah, but these last few weeks, have you not loved me? Have you not loved loving others in a pure way that is like Christ? And then in these last few weeks, has it been a burden to serve me? And I was like, graciously, I'm like no, Like my heart for the first time had been drawn to Christ. And then as I keep reading, I'm like, the Lord opens my eyes more to these doctrines of grace, right and listen, I saw your beautiful library. Like people have asked me since I was four, I don't read Sports Illustrated. I don't read anything but my Bible. It's kind of been my line my whole life. Yeah, well that was just where I was at at the time. And so all that being said, the Lord brought me through some really hard times. I was suing the NFL for what they did to me. Felt like through scripture, the Word was like, Hey, are you going to do it your way? Are you going to trust me to rebuild whatever it is that I want to rebuild. Are you going to be heaths still? Are you going to be mine? And so in God's kindness, I just felt like it was the right thing to do to drop the lawsuit, sent the NFL somewhat of an apology. Hey, I'm sorry for wow smearing smearing y'all's names the last few weeks. I tried to word it very strategically where it wasn't a fake apology, but I just tried to be obedient to what I felt like the Holy Spirit was guiding me to do about. They were the authority that God put over me at that time, and they were an evil authority, but I still needed to submit to what God had rightly placed me under, and I wasn't doing that by suing them.
Speaker 1: Did anybody reply from the NFL to that.
Speaker 2: Yes, one lady, and it was much appreciated.
Speaker 1: Would I mean, that's so weird, it's funny.
Speaker 2: The lady who replied would have been the one that I would have expected not to because she was one that I had maybe the least relationship with. In those moments, I started to slightly see how my life had betrayed Christ in so many ways, and I started to see what you and I would now call her depravity. But I started to see that I was just evil, and I was wicked, and I just used people, and I was so blind to the reality of like, how disgusting I am as a human and as a created being of God. And yet everything, all of life had been about me. And yet I was so evil and so wicked. I didn't even know it, and those around me didn't know it. You would have find people been, Yeah, he's a little cocky, little arrogant, very confident what he's gonna do and I'm not going to do, but very normal for my field of influence and sports. Right, but the people that knew me would be like me. He's gracious and kind, and he's gonna bend over backwards to help people, and he's got a real heart for anyone who's ever been sexually abused, and all these ranks. So but the Lord through their betrayal of me, which was hurtful, Right, I had given eighteen years of my life to serve these people, and then I felt like I had been set up and trapped to kind of keep my mouth shut, because from day one I wanted to scream from the rooftops. Hey, I've done a lot of simple things, but I've never done this, and anyone that knows me. And the crazy part was I had so many of the women in the NFL network that went to my defense, right, and so they knew. Everyone in that building knew, right, he ain't perfect, but this ain't Heath. And but as I got past that, I and the Lord started to open my eyes to his word. I just saw more and more of how I betrayed Christ and yet he loved me, and from eternity past he had a plan to save me, and that his plan included me being massively betrayed with international embarrassing news, my name being splattered everywhere because people don't ever look at the content of a charge or the context. Right, I don't care, Yeah, right, It's just juicy gossip, right, And so that it's Marshall Faulk and Heath Devins and listen, I was the I was the that was the nobody name of the group of all the people that were charged. Right. And then after nine months, Marshall Faulk calls me and he said, hey, they're getting ready to try to make us kind of take a plea deal. They just drove all the way from LA to San Diego to meet me and they're not bringing us back. I'm like, what, so.
Speaker 1: So you you skated over the rock bottom part yeah, but it was probably really bad.
Speaker 2: Well, it's you know, it's funny like when you play in the NFL, right, everyone thinks everyone's millionaires.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, when I played, you get a few guys on the team that were making really really good money. And these are the hard parts because like I was making really good money compared to the normal people. Right. And then you know, you go through a divorce living in LA and so then you kind of the way I structured that I thought was wise. I'm like, hey, I'm going to keep all my retirement and we'll just kind of give all this, you know to the ex wife, and is how we'll divide the line. And then I'm working in the NFL network. So I had this great job and so I'll kind of rebuild this wealth over the next ten or fifteen years working for Fox in the NFL network. Well, you know, two years after the divorce, all that plan got shot to oblivion or.
Speaker 1: Where where's Jesus in the divorce? Where's your face? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, and so.
Speaker 1: I wildly relate to your story. That's you know, it's part of my questioning is because I wildly relate to what you're saying. In a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I married my first wife at twenty two. From day one, it was a really hard marriage, and I thought I loved her well. I didn't because I was incapable of love. I thought I served her well. I didn't because I was incapable. I thought I dealt with her heart wounds that were way before me. Well, I wasn't capable.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We hid everything in house, and so we had a lot of secrecy that was just hers and ours or hers and ours together, and we didn't seek wise counsel because I thought I need to cover her and I don't want to embarrass her. I don't want to embarrass us, And so we were ill equipped to deal with those things well, and so wounds just festered. It was just really hard, and so for ten years, everyone would have looked at us like, oh man, he's just loving his wife really, really, really well through a tough marriage and hard stuff. I wasn't because I was incapable of it. But after about ten years, that bitterness and a knee injury right in the middle of our Super Bowl year with the Saints. After that knee injury, I got really it bitter at God and didn't know it two thousand and nine, we went our ring with the Norlan Saints. I'm having the best year of my career, mid season all Pro, and I blow my knee out in Miami again, kind of like I'd always done. No one would have known I was better at God?
Speaker 1: Right, God, that you didn't know, and that's the only reason you were bitter.
Speaker 2: Amen, you just didn't know him.
Speaker 1: Man. Amen, Hey, it's Granger.
Speaker 3: Wanted to pipe in here and leave a message because Heath Evans after he left the podcast, texted me and said, hey, if anyone wants to try Vice Sarah, his company used the code yee to get twenty percent off, and then he said thirty percent off if you subscribe. His website is Vice Sarah Nutrition dot com. That's v I C e r A Nutrition dot com and you could use the code yee to get twenty percent off.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: If you want to get a hold of me, an easy way to do it is cameo dot com slash Granger Smith. Cameo dot com slash Granger Smith. You could order a video message from me saying whatever customizable message you want me to say, Happy birthday, happy anniversary, maybe a word of encouragement, whatever it might be. I think it's a pretty good gift, especially for people you just don't know how to buy. For Get him a cameo from me at cameo dot com slash Grangersmith.
Speaker 2: And it took about another year and a half. But that bitterness with God and then kind of probably ten years of bitterness with my ex ended up me being unfaithful in my marriage. And then because I knew this is what repentance looks like, I then confessed all of that and then we try to start working through it, and then eventually it was just too much and she left. You know, a couple of years later, those years between confession and ex wife leaving, everyone would have said, man to copy the glory of God's doing in his life. You know, he's returned to the fold, he's following the Shepherd, all those things, right, And in a lot of ways I was right. There was nothing outwardly hypocritical, right. I wasn't hiding any sins. Again, I wasn't. There was nothing that I was turning to other than Jesus. It was in my Bible every day, all those things.
Speaker 1: It's in some some theologians would say it's like when an animal dies, sometimes it still kicks a little bit. Yeah there's still life that mimics life, but yeah, the animals.
Speaker 2: Dead dead dead dead, right. And so after ex wife left six seven months before, I was living like any unregenerate single person with all the fame and all the stuff that comes with being on TV every day in LA And so my heart was I didn't know it at the time, but what I loved was being revealed. And it took a couple of years. And then because before the beginning of time, God loved me, having nothing to do with me, he disciplined me. It was hard, but I'm so thankful and I'm thankful he still disciplines me. And you know, I lost everything except for my health and my two beautiful daughters. God was so gracious to me in that. And you know, since July of twenty eighteen, he's just been building the story that I asked him. I started to ask him that Lord, I want you to rebuild or build something that no man can take credit for. I want you to have your way in my life. We're not even the outside world can look and say look what he's done. They have to say, look what the righteous creator, God of the world has done in Heath, and I believe that's what he's doing, you know, so.
Speaker 1: The you know, I was radically saved out of cultural Christianity through John fourteen. The disciple asked Jesus, Lord, why is it that you manifest yourself to us but not to the world. And as I'm listening to the sermons, and I'm thinking, that's a good question. How was at rock bottom searching for answers? Searching it for who was Jesus? Because I didn't have any fruits of the spirit that you're supposed to have as a Christian and in my my rock bottomness, I didn't have It's like that, I didn't have that. So so yeah, Disciple, that's a good question, how will Jesus answer, because maybe that's maybe I need to know this. And Jesus says something just it blew me away, changed everything for me, And it's the opposite of what I thought he was going to say. He says, if anyone loves me, he'll keep my word, and my father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. And suddenly, and suddenly I knew in this reverse psychology that I was loved, not because of anything I did, but I was loved, and he was with me, and they had come to me, and they had made a home in me. And yet he says, you'll know the people that I've made a home with. You'll know them because those are the people keep my word. And I thought, so I'm loved, And yet I don't keep his word. I don't even really know all of his word. And so it hit me from reverse. And that's that's where you're saying, the realization that you were loved because he said something really interesting earlier. You said, I used to think that I choose Jesus. Yeah, isn't that American? That's the American gospel. Yeah, choose Jesus.
Speaker 2: One think about it. It's the opposite of the gospel. Yeah, it's this people like we receive. I'm like, yes, I'm a dummy, but even I can read and study what these words mean. And this receiving of God's grace is passive. It's like he's drawling. He's literally he is taking us and bringing us back to the fold or the sheep running away. And the more that the Lord just opens my eyes to Christ, the more I just see, Oh, my gosh, he loves me because I'm a disastrous train wreck. And yet oh, my gosh, she loves me in seeing the disastrous train wreck that I am in my own power and my own my own being. It's what spurs me on to be holy, like he's holy in that. We talk about the American Gospel, right, and even the way the Lord saved you, right, you'll obey. And so we look at this believe word in John three sixteen in America, we look at it like the demons. Yeah right, yeah, but that believe means to love and to obey, And it's very easy to see when the Lord gives you eyes to read John right, that word believe close to one hundred times or so. And don't check my math because I'm full back. Too many concussions, right, yeah, but believe, believe, believe. Then we get to John twenty and he's like, this is why I wrote this, So you believe that Jesus is the Lord, the Messiah, right, and then upon believing you have eternal life, right, that we would just love him because he first loved us, you know.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, John three thirty six, whoever believes in the sun has eternal life. Whoever does not obey. Yes, that word all of a sudden's interchanged, does not have life. Yeah, the wrath of God remains upon him, so he John just casually other changes believe and obey. Yeah, as if we would know that believing always equals obeying and obeying always equals believe.
Speaker 2: Amen. Amen. And then the start of John three, like, we get so enamored with three sixteen, and rightfully so we could, we could, we could. I literally think we're going to be in the heaven leaves for for for eternity after eternity, just wrapping our minds around that one verse. But when you look at three five and six and seven and eight, he literally tells us it's the wind and he blows where he will. You had nothing to do with your first birth. Why would you think you have anything to do with your second birth? It is the Holy Spirit that comes and gives you grace, gives you eyes to the ears that truly want to believe the Word of Christ, that sets us free and free indeed, right, and you mentioned thirtieth at six, right, you know, it's like when the Lord does his great work and literally remove the scales from our eyes. It's like you can't help. But see, I've had nothing to do with this, and I've had everything to do with why God should abandon me, why he shouldn't be faithful? Yeah, right, And he tells us he humbles us from the jump because he knows in his kindness that it's humility is the only place that we ever find freedom, when we can get past ourselves and rest and trust in Him. That's where assurance of faith comes from. As you and I know, I don't want to be judged on how I love my wife. I don't want to be judged on how I faithfully patiently discipline my children. I don't want to be judged on how I love my brothers and sisters at Trinity River Baptist Church. I don't want to be judged on how I faithfully serve even our built ready community. No, I just I need the merits of Christ. Otherwise I am damned and I know it. But praise be to God. He looks at me and sees Jesus, and it was his plan from eternity, and so it has nothing to do with me. And that's the freedom I need to love and obey and worship and being all It's good man.
Speaker 1: I heard a pastor say one time that Jesus. I think maybe he said God. In this context, God is waiting at the door, and he will not come in because he's a gentleman, and he will come in unless you invite him in like a true gentleman. And I thought that sounds like an insecure boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just.
Speaker 1: Needs acceptance or something. But that's not the way I experienced it, and that's not the way any kind of language the Bible uses.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a man who doesn't understand the first few chapters of Revelation. Those are church doors that the Jesus is knocking on and we I mean, I'm in the middle of Isaiah right now, and I'm just enamored about how many times the Lord of Host, the sovereign, Lord of heavenly armies, full command of everything, and everyone says, I will, I will, I will you and me straying and disobedience, I will. I'm gonna open your eyes. I'm going to bring you home. I'm going to give you a heart that once repents, once repentance and draws near to me. Right to think about this, you know, it's like the Jesus comes he's thrown out of life booie, and all you got to do is grab it. I have so many men in my life that I love so dearly that still to the day use that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yet I'm like, tell the real analogy.
Speaker 2: Where do you see it in scripture?
Speaker 1: Tell the real analogy of that.
Speaker 2: We're dead men, We're at the bottom of the ocean, right, Well, we're just dead.
Speaker 1: We can't grab it life.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but for me, it's like I'm not in the ocean. I'm I'm flooded in my sin. I loved my sexual immorality. I loved my arrogance. I loved only thinking about me. I loved lying, and I was great at it. I loved all these things. They were my idols, and yet they were crushing me. And God said, that's my boy. I'm gonna go rescue him, and here's how I'm gonna do it. And it's gonna look like utter chaos and catastrophe, but you know what, he's gonna know that I am God. And then I saved his soul, and then I love him and it has nothing to do with him, So that Heath Evans will never boast in himself ever, ever, again.
Speaker 1: I think I just got saved again.
Speaker 2: Man, No, it's not true. He saved he saved us before he made all this.
Speaker 1: Man, I didn't know it to that, to that full extent. I didn't know your story. In fact, we were talking earlier before we recorded, and I was like, no, don't tell me, because I want to. I want to hear it on the microphone. I already feel like anytime you come to this area, you could just keep coming back in because there are so many things I want to ask and say that I think will be nuggets for people to grab onto and so hopefully we could this will be a relationship. We continue to have it back and people are listening to comment below, bring back.
Speaker 2: Heath, you know, don't lie though.
Speaker 1: Let me slightly shift gears, and which is hard to do because I feel like I have more questions about what happened after you were saved. When I was in high school playing football, I remember I remember the day that one of our codes, our defensive coordinator, came in and he introduced this thing called creating monohydrate, and he said, we're all gonna start taking this and it was like this in a jar, and it was like white and like a sandy and see yeah, yeah, and we would just take it. We would just put the scoop without you know, we wouldn't mix it and you just do it on the tongue and then get a you know, some water and throw it down. And my parents are like, what are you guys doing that? All the parents were scared this new thing, like this guy is there's no long term testing on this. I gained ten pounds immediately, but it was a good ten pounds and it worked in every sense. It worked fast. Forward to you know, several decades. I'm on Instagram. I'm flipping through one time and here's Heith Evans, who who I use his advice many times. On this podcast, Heath Evans is talking and he goes, men you need creating and women you do too. And I'm like, really, I haven't thought about that since the nineties. So I went right then to Visarah your supplement company. Pretty new company, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few months old?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a few months old. And I'm like, if he thought, man, I trust this guy this not only is this? Does this guy no fitness? And he was on the NFL network. Did you see him doing the forty five bench press to twenty five. Okay, hang on before we do anything else. This is we got to do this before. Yeah, man, you guys kind of look over my shoulder here. This is crazy full box.
Speaker 2: When it comes to the bench press, who was the top bulist Tommy Bohannan and the Fahu Tahi neither one.
Speaker 1: Of them still in the league. Thirty six reps. It says on the screen, I'm thinking that he got this might be able to set a new record running you want to get after let's do it all right, he's on live television, right live.
Speaker 2: It was I wish I'd have gotten no warm up. I wish I'd got no warm up. I might have gotten fifty.
Speaker 1: He says, I talked too much trash.
Speaker 2: To him last year.
Speaker 4: In a suit man with a tie.
Speaker 2: Crushing it two three, twenty four, twenty five.
Speaker 1: Twenty six, not even slowing down, twenty nine, thirty thirty one, thirty two, thirty three, thirty four, forty five, thirty six, thirty seven, thirty eight, thirty nine he won.
Speaker 4: Work no work.
Speaker 1: Forty five, that's unreal. Twenty five so that's like the combine that that's what you use. Two twenty five, So can you get forty six.
Speaker 2: I know you can't.
Speaker 1: I know you can't. You can't. No way like you can't get forty six.
Speaker 2: The heck no, the the training that was going Listen, I was smack dab in the middle of wickedness and idolatry. My God was my body and under saying I understand, and my most of my effort was going into how I looked, you know, from my botox face to my biceps.
Speaker 1: You know, So is that the first time you got forty five?
Speaker 2: Uh no, uh yes, because you don't the training the result when you train for those different things, right, Yeah. I trained very different than those max efforts. So yeah, I just went out. I had like one warm upset with one thirty five for a couple reps and then but normally, like on a test like that, I'd work up to like four h five for like a double just like so my central nervous system can like stress, and then two twenty five feels like it's five pounds. Yeah, so your first twenty reps it's like your body's like, oh, it's just easy. Right, So those were fun days, good group. I worked with an NFL network.
Speaker 1: So my point is, I see this and I'm like, if this guy's telling me I should take Creatam, then I should do it. And not only is he telling me to do it, but he says he's got he's got a company that's cleaner than any other. Yeah, and so I went and buy it. I bought it, and then you quickly called me and said, why did you just buy some thing from your own friend? Basically you call me so anyway, then Amber got on it because so this is just something I didn't really understand, and this could be an entire episode. But you you now have with your wife a supplement company. How you say it, Yeah, we are. There's clean supplements, clean supplements. And then you start talking you have way protein. You you start talking about Australia cattle and all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, we want to help the church get healthy. The healthier we are, the more energy we have to serve Christ And listen, we have little kids and it's it's it's all gas, no breaks around, right, And so you know our company, by Sarah is a nutrition company because we yes, we'd love to sell people supplements and we can supplement a good healthy living, diet lifestyle. Right, But any supplement in and of itself is not going to rescue anyone. So we want to teach people how to eat and how to think better about food. We've been lied to, you know, you know, I don't know RFK personally, but he's opening people's eyes to the lies and deception that our country has been under around nutrition, and so we just want to help people. Creating is the most tested supplement on the planet, right, and if it's American made, it's going to be very good. Right. A lot of people buy cheaper stuff from China. I would advise everyone not to. You don't have to buy our as it by Sarah, but just make sure yours is an American made company. Women, if you're here in my voice, this is the best thing in the world that we can do for our women. The number one marker Launey. I know, right, because it's always been well, this is the meathead supplement to get stronger, which it is. But what is the number one marker for longevity? God is sovereign over all our days. Our days are written in his book, right, But we have enough science and true knowledge now to know that the stronger someone is, the longer they live. We look at COVID in twenty twenty one twenty two. Who are the people that were least affected, the strongest people, not the people with the best, you know, body mass index, not the people that were the most cardiovascular sound. Those are important, but the number one marker was how strong is someone physically right? Male and female? And they were basically unphased in a lot of ways by COVID. And so creatine has so many biomarkers just for women's mental health, helping them battle just anxiousness and depression. We're seeing high dosage of creatine now used in women's seventy plus that are alzheimer patients or dementia patients, and they're actually reversing the effects, the memory loss effects from this wicked disease. And so yes, it will help you sustain and build muscle. Who wouldn't want to do that, right? But then more importantly the cognitive effects. I've had multiple concussions. You know, I take twenty plus grams a day of creating because I'm just trying to take care of my brain.
Speaker 1: And what we know, what is that compared to what I'm taking. I'm taking the three capsules.
Speaker 2: For you, you're having one serving a day. I have four, right, but I'm also two hundred and seventy pounds.
Speaker 1: You do twelve of those capsules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I use our powder because I'm always trying to hydrate. I want to get more and more water in my system with the right salts and the right minerals and right vitamins, and so I kind of take our collection. But we're just we want to help people to think right about what are the right supplements we need, right, and then how do we get healthy for the glory of God? And so we do that with our built Ready coaching and we do that through VI Syarah, our supplement company.
Speaker 1: Where did you learn all this stuff about? First of all, creatin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, creating kind of like me in high school. It started, Hey, you want to put on some clean, natural strength. There was all kinds of crazy stuff. When I got in high school. There was the stuff called Ultimate Orange. I don't know what was in it. It was like premium gas, right, like, your bitch is going to go up twenty pounds in like one shot of this thing, right right. My dad's I was like, I'm not sure what's in that. I don't know we'd be taking that stuff, right, But creating you know, people knew, Hey, this is what it is. It's already in good steak, right, It's in some of our food. Our body needs it, we have creatine, we need it for our brains, we need it for all kinds of things, right, and so it's always kind of been one of those more acceptable things. But just recently in the last few years, we've started to see the scientific data about brain health and cognitive function as well as cognitive repair, the epidemic of mental health, especially against our females. Right, Christy and I want so badly to teach people the benefits of spirit filled self control around eating and what we put in our bodies, because for the glory of God, God loves to heal people. Right, we have not because we ask not. There is no rhyme or reason to how Jesus chooses to bless some with healing and others and not. But what we know is that when godly men and women will just kind of follow Paul's outline about disciplining their bodies and not just beating the air aimlessly, but having a rhythm and some thought out structure to how do we eat, how do we sleep? How do we hydrate? This there's some value that we can get out of bodily training, bodily training about in righteousness and all these things. But but also like, hey, if this is the temple, right, and I don't ever want this to be a message of condemnation to anyone that's overweight or underweight, right, we just want to love people. Well, right, I don't know what it's like to be overweight. Kind of just always been in shape. I joked that I was a little fat, chubby kid from Palm Beach, Florida. I kind of was. I was a little slow, and then that motivated me to get faster, and then God made an NFL career out of it. Right, But my wife used to weigh almost three hundred pounds, and so she's felt the burden of being unsaved. Yeah, chrissy, Yeah, your face is it all right? Right? And so does right? You know what I mean? And so and before the Lord saved her, you know, she had built this massive business called weight loss hero, helping people for all the wrong reasons. God does his great, miraculous work in her life. And she's like, I just can't coach women like this. I got to coach him to get healthy for the glory of God. And now we just kind of do this stuff together. But the freedom around discipline, right, it's a good thing. And God has commanded us to be of sober mind, right, And that's not just oh, let me be sober minded in just these areas of righteousness, right, But look at this practical wisdom God's given us. Right. And then, oh, it's amazing, how much more rich my quiet time is in the morning, when I'm hydrated from the day before. It's amazing, how much more I remember right when I'm eating more clean It's amazing. How much more energy I have to love and serve my husband. It's amazing, how much more stamin I have as a father to get out and wrestle around with the boys and throw them around in the pool, and work out and love my wife and go to work for nine hours a day with food and proper nutrition and hydration and proper rest. Prioritizing the right thing based on the sound word of the Lord gives us so much freedom. And so we want to help people with teaching them how to eat and with these supplements that we think are necessary for everyone to be taking creating and collagen.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We want to help people burn the right fat. We have a visceral fat is the fat around your organs that kills you. There's very few clinical studies on supplementation that will actually burn visceral fat. We have one of them. It's called a night and it's awesome. It's great for your brain. It's like a nice little nootropic punch to your head in the morning when you want to study God's word on an empty stomach. It's just there's so many good benefits to it. And then we want to help people get hydrated. Any good doctor is going to probably tell you about ninety percent of chronic disease is caused by chronic dehydration. God meant our bodies to be fueled with vitamins and minerals and nutrients and protein that we just don't get. But if we do, it's amazing how fast our bodies will heal themselves. When God said we are fearfully and wonderfully made, he didn't stutter. And so we pollute this system and our food is either you know, it's poisoned to us or it's medicine to us. We want to point people to, hey, this is how we this is how we kind of heal our body by God's grace, strengthen ourselves for the war that is, walking in righteousness and walking in the love of Christ.
Speaker 1: That is the best biblical argument for healthy living that I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: When it's time. That's why I bought from you, Praise the Lord. And I tell our men all the time, it is really really hard to make much of Christ and make much of the body it is, and so so we have to we have to so look at Jesus to know why we're going to discipline this body. Right, Spurgeon's days were numbered. He lived in a day where there wasn't a lot of medicine. He got what fifty six fifty four years, and God miraculously used him. Now, by God's grace, we live much longer. And I'm not saying that we're ever going to live longer than what God is determined. But I am saying that if we eat well, my days on this earth will be more energized for the Kingdom of Christ than they would be if I'm not disciplining myself in that way? Is it selvific? I don't want anyone to feel condemned that people are just run into more and more weak sheep that are just burdened by just these sins. It's like they struggle with inshirts. And I don't ever want to go down that route. But I do think that even some of our brothers and sisters in Christ that do wrestle with assurance, if by God's grace, they could discipline themselves to eat better, they will think more clearly about the word of truth, and that word of truth will be revealed to them in a new refreshing way where they can think more clearly and their brain is not so foggy and their body is not so beat down by constantly what they're shoving into it.
Speaker 1: You talked about it's good for your gut to and by the way, this is by no means is this ay infomercial for vice Sarah. I didn't want it to be that way. I don't want it to appear that way, and that's not why you came. So I don't want anyone to think that. So let me say this without sounding like an infomercial. I've had creatine that has really messed up my stomach before. Yours doesn't. Your protein doesn't, and it tastes good. You're like sourcing cattle from all over the world. Are you really serious about it being healthy for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was taught by Bill Belichick there's always someone that's better, There's always someone that knows more. There's always someone that's gonna kick your butt, right, so you need to prepare to meet that person. Right. So when building by Sarah, we wanted the best, and by God's grace through the years in the NFL and just other relationships he's given me. I know some of the best people in the organic supplement space in the world. My buddy who has basically sold two massive companies, you know, one Nestley now owns. So we won't go into a price that's sold for, but he has done it as the king in that space. And so I went directly to him and said, how do we do this? Or it tastes good, but we can look people in the eye and say, hey, our sourcing is better than anyone and you know our bovine glandulars right. So it's like this idea that like heels like. So, we have so many thyroid issues, we have so many digestive track issues, we have so many heart issues, we have so many issues that are health related because of food. And yet from the beginning of time God created these animals to be under our dominion and for us to eat them, to be healthy and strong for His glory and to magnify his name. And so if you look on the side of all of our bottles, you're going to see these little glandulars. You're gonna see heart, you're gonna see kidney, you'll see thyroid. It's amazing when we eat God's food and we supplement God's food, how the body will just kind of heal itself. And so we've given people the purest A two protein. You talk about our creatine not upsetting your stomach, Well, it's well sourced, right, And there's not some crap from China. I'm not knocking to anybody from China. But our system is set up to make money and give people as little amount as we can to kind of pass this bar or metric that makes it legal. Right. We haven't done that, right, And so our third party testing everything that we have kind of spent money on is to say, hey, listen, we want to represent God with integrity. These are supplements that will help your body heal, but you got to eat good too, right, And so even when you get on by Sarah nutrition dot com, you can download the free pdf to just help you think better about eating. But every all of our products have either digestive enzymes, something that's gonna prebiotic. Excuse me, your probiotics that are gonna help people digest food. Because if I can feed you more protein, and then I can help heal your gut where it digests all that protein, where you're actually absorbing it. Not only does grains or think better, but you sleep better, you perform better, you feel stronger, there's more energy, everything about you improves. This is really brain number one. Brain number one, guide's brain number two. God has fiercefully and wonderly, wonderfully made us. So brain number two is always gonna be working.
Speaker 1: Your head depends on your gut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what we have to make fuels right, and so listen, I know it. I love donuts. I'm the donut king, right, but when I eat too many donuts, this brain is bad. And I can't afford this brain to be bad. I had too many kids and I got a big king Jesus to love and serve well. So I needed to be sharp and accurate and on point and so all these things have in effect, and we just want to gently teach people that hey, we can feel good and we can have all of God's energy and everything that God's intended for us. And this isn't no health, wealth and prosperity nonsense either, because I don't know. God might have for you to get hit by a train tomorrow. But at the end of the day, if God has gifted us with breath and we have the ability to eat better food and to move our bodies, we need to be doing so for the glory of God.
Speaker 1: I think. I think it's a great humble argument, and it's practical. If I get up for an early flight and I went to bed at midnight and I have to be at the airport at four, and I've learned it took a long time to finally realize, don't make any decisions on this day. Don't make any moral decisions, don't make any financial decisions, don't make any judgments on people. That's because you were You're drunk. Really, I want to go one more place with you because you mentioned earlier you're in Isaiah. Is that what you said? Yeah, So if we put all maybe put everything together on a on a good I know that you're a busy guide, so that things change and you have to adjust wisely in when it changes. But on a good, normal day, what does your reading look like? When is it? How are you?
Speaker 2: You know? Mark Dever? So I'm gonna throw Mark Dever under the busk, yeah, yeah a for clarity. Mark Dever is the godliest, most faithful man I know, and other than Christ and my wife and children, he has been God's greatest gift to me, and he has so guided in guarded me and all of my strengths and weaknesses, mainly weaknesses.
Speaker 1: He introduced us, by the way, that's right, sure you introduced us.
Speaker 2: So since the word saved me. Most mornings, I've been up at four am. And if you walk into wherever I'm reading most of the time, it's my wife's office. All the lights are going to be off except for one lamp and one like spotlight that we use for filming content, and it's just fixed on my Bible. I'm the add king. I really struggle. I struggle to read and comprehend. I dyslo I understand things backwards. I read at a very high rate, but I understand very little, and so it takes me a long time, and it's often frustrating. But God has worked wonders and sanctifying me through having to sacrifice a lot of hours of sleep to draw near to Him. And not everyone needs to do that. Most people, for what I would read in a three hour time, they might be able to get it in in forty five minutes, right, and they might retain a lot more. I don't know, but that's been my habit, that those first two and a half three hours of every morning are just the Lord's and He has poured his word into my heart. Sometimes I remember it better than others, but he faithfully pours it out of me when he gives me an opportunity to boast in him. And I said, I was gonna throw Mark under the bus because in the last few weeks have gone through some just testing and different things. There's certain things mentally or I don't know if they're starting to slip or if we're just too busy, but we have all these concussion testing for the NFL and all this stuff. So I told Mark about it, and he was just put chrissy on the phone because he knows I won't listen. So he said Chrissy. This is what he's going to do. Whatever amount of time Heath reads his Bible, he's going to do half of it. Right, He's not going to cut his prayer time down. But whatever time he's reading his Bible, you're gonna make him cut it in half. And you're gonna make him sleep. You know that much more well, Mark nos So I've been the last I think three weeks now, I've been sleeping until five. I get up and I go in there and I just I hit my knees. I always start. I need help positioning my mind in humility, and so I pick up this book called Valley of Vision. I'm sure you've heard of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always in somewhere. It's always in the next room over for me.
Speaker 2: And most days it stirs my heart with affections for Christ because I see my sin more clearly. And then that'll lead me into praying for Chrissy. I have a list that I pray for every day, and then praying for the children, praying for myself. These last few weeks, I have not been praying as faithfully for our church, but through our church membership. Because Mark Dever took an hour away from my holy sanctification. But yeah, those morning hours have been sweet, you know, since twenty eighteen. And you just all the godly dead dudes that we love, they didn't even have half of them, didn't have electricity to run, lights to read, but they were still up in the wee hours of morning under candle light, reading and meditating on God's word. God was faithful to them, and he helped them finish strong, and their lives just oozed Jesus Christ and I believe it was because of their prayer time and their Bible study time.
Speaker 1: I've never talked to you about that, and I never heard you say that before, but I already was positive that that would be your answer. And you're right. You know, George Mueller, for a long time he would he would get up and pray and read, and he realized his prayer life was dead until he switched the two that the Bible the Scripture softened his cold dead heart and every morning and supercharged it so that then his prayer life came alive. Are you brushing your teeth before you do this? You got coffee? What's what's going on?
Speaker 2: I take our nite and our creatine collagen, caffeine so I'm putting good, good stuff in my system. I've never been a coffee guy.
Speaker 1: Just before you open the Bible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when that alarm goes off, I wear these stupid retainers to keep my teeth draight, you know what I mean. So then I got to go there, put them in this little water, this little fizzy fizzy thing whatever, right, and then I go straight in. Man, this's is embarrassing. I don't brush my teeth first, but I ain't gonna lot to y'all.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then I get our our Knight, our creatine collagen, and our electrolytes, and so I hydrate immediately. The ignite, which is our kind of visceral fat burner, just really kind of gives me a nice clean caffeine stem from my mind. It really helps me focus in. And then I lock in. Yeah, and then I lock in. Uh, I lock in for a few hours and worship the Lord.
Speaker 1: I was in a men's conference one time in Montana and I did a poll on that question. You're in the majority. People typically would brush their teeth after their quiet time for some reason. I'm in the minority of I wake up brush my teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then that's why your teeth are prayer? What's what? I sleep with this mouth tit and I don't ever really have morning breath, so like I brush my teeth too hard. Chrissy's on me all the time.
Speaker 1: We'll get.
Speaker 2: You know, so I know she'll tell you she didn't have morning breath either. It's like, listen, God's been so kind.
Speaker 1: That is great.
Speaker 2: Wow. We don't cuddle much because I'm too heavy to make her hot. You know. It's it's about about four minutes each night, hand on her half time. I I like fall asleep praying for like she tells the funniest stories because I get I'm so exhausted at the end of the night. So I'm like I just put my hand on her chest, you know, and she laughs because I'll fall asleep like a narcoleptic, and then I'll wake up like literally two minutes later, sometimes like right where I right where I was left off in the prayers. She's like, I don't know how you do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I as amber and I as our marriage gets older, she gets imperture wise. Hey, it looks wise too. She gets hotter and I get I get colder. Like She's She's like, I turned this act. I get you know, I gotta get these blankets off, and I'm like kind of chili dude, like we're going opposite directions. But but yeah, yeah, she needs to cope on.
Speaker 2: Amber, sleep with awaited blanket like Chrissy.
Speaker 1: Does I do. Actually, she doesn't because she can't. She can't take that. She she can't take the heat.
Speaker 2: Christy Lilac so hot. Oh my, you's got a fifteen pound blanket on your chest. I'm like, what are you doing.
Speaker 1: That's a different episode. But dude, that that that routine is. I've said this people, I've thought about this before. When you seek first the Kingdom of Heaven, it means way more than that, But it doesn't mean any less than actually physically starting the day with Him first, the first fruits, the first fruits, Bonhoffer. You to say, don't talk until you've going through your quiet time, don't listen or talk to anyone until God speaks. Let God have the first word. Yeah, these guys took this seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when you when you hear about a moral failure, a big public moral failure, almost always at the root of it, you find they lost their daily devotional Their morning devotional time was gone. Yeah, it's gone away.
Speaker 2: And the pastor's burden of studying to feed and studying to be fed, you know, and how often those blur and I find those borring for me just to minister to our men and our women. But it's such a dangerous temptation, right that somehow I think I don't need to be fed, that I only need to gather to feed. Yeah, that's a that's a dangerous road, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what an honor. But you're here. Thank you for passing through. I hope to have you back.
Speaker 2: And you name it.
Speaker 1: You're You're a brother and a mentor. And I promise I've been doing a lot better on my seven hours of sleep. Thank you always. Thanks for joining me on the Grangersmith podcast. I appreciate all of you guys. You could help me out by rating this podcast on iTunes. If you're on YouTube, subscribe to this channel, hit that little like button and notification spell so that you never miss anytime I upload a video.
Speaker 2: Yigi