Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralown.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 4: This is the Daily Show with your Hosts Browning. Now, hey, welcome to the damn Show.
Speaker 3: I'm right checked. We've got a great show for you tonight. Kamala Harris is speed dating vps jd Vance might get to sleep on the couch and on Trump techs. Something a bit racist? Can you believe it? Now? Let's find out in our ongoing coverage of Indecision twenty twenty four. Now, look, when this selection started, I thought it would be mostly about abortion or maybe immigration, But things took a weird turn this week, and now it seems like the most dominant issue is Indians. As you all know, Vice President Kamala Harris is of Indian and Jamaican descent. And who better to understand the nuance of being mixed race than this guy.
Speaker 5: Former President Donald Trump now facing backlash after questioning Vice President Kamala Harris's racial identity during the National Association of Black Journalists annual convention.
Speaker 6: She was Indian all the way, and then all of a sudden, she made a turn and she went she became a blacker.
Speaker 7: Just after the event, the former president posted a video on his social media where Harris called herself Indian and a cooking video with comedian Mindy Kaling.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what we're going to cook today? Okay, is an Indian recipe?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: Because you are idiot? Yes, but actually we're both South Indian. Yes, you look like the entire one half of my family. Damn, I forgot how weird the office got after Michael Scott left. So Trump posted this video, But I'm like, how did he even find this? Was he doing deep apple research on Mindy Kaling's Instagram page? Like how far down the Mindy rabbit hole did he go? Is he gonna come out next week? Like Kamala Harris is not black and Mindy and bj Novak belong together? Okay, do the right thing, BJ make an honors Indian out of her. And also this doesn't even prove his point. He's saying that Kamala identified as Indian and not black, and this is a video of her saying I'm half Indian, Like what does Trump think the other half is woman? She's half Indian and half one and that's one That's one thing. How does this guy understand what half means? Like he constantly tells us he's a genius, but he can't comprehend a golden doodle. Also, by the way, Trump doesn't get to decide how black a black person is. Only Kendrick Lamar can do that, Okay, Kendrick way in here. Meanwhile, the Trump campaign has Indian problems of its own. Jd Vance has been getting attacked by white supremacists because his wife is Indian. And if you're thinking, wow, if someone insulted my wife, I go ape shit on them, then you are not jd Vance.
Speaker 9: Look, I love my wife so much. I love her because she's who she is. Obviously, she's not a white person, and we've been a cute attacked by some white supremacists over that. But I just I love Usha. She's such a good mom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, way to casually defend your wife against white supremacists. J. I mean, I'm not a romance expert, but I don't think everyone wants to hear she's not white but I love her. Right, That's that's not a message you're going to see on those Valentine's Day candies. I mean, look, I mean I hold those one his wedding vows like, look, you're obviously not whites, but I do enough about Indians. Let's move on, because while JD. Vans is doing JD Van's stuff, Kama still needs to announce her running mate.
Speaker 7: We now know we are just days away from finding out who Kamala Harris's running mate will be.
Speaker 2: Har is now moving at warp speed. Her campaign just over a week old, but she's already expected to announce her running mate in the coming days. The two will then hit the road together, visiting several key battleground states, starting with a rally in Philadelphia on Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Matter by President, Have you comed in your VP yet? Have you come in yet?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 3: What a change? The Democratic nominee for president walked up a flight of stairs while talking with a head turn. She turned her head while walking and none of us while covering our eyes and clenching our assholes, I mean compared to buy then she's like someone balls up there. Kamala is expected to pick a running mate any day now, and according to reports, it's come down to about five finalists who all bring different strengths to the table. You've got Pete Buddha judge or the only man in America who goes viral on Fox News for non racist reasons. It's also Andy Basher. He's the popular governor of Kentucky and the first person with his accent to ever say the phrase. Trans writes, You've also got Minnesota Governor Tim Waltz. He's actually the one who started calling Don Trump weird, which again I just don't see it. The lake great have ab elector. He's a wonderful man, totally normal. Here. Another top candidate is Mark Kelly aka Senator Clean. This guy is a fighter pilot to an astronaut, which is extremely badass. I mean, how would Trump even attack this guy? Look at this top gun loser who went to space. Lah shit. This guy would be so good against Vansa the VP debates. He'd be like, oh, you wrote a memoir about your hillbilly family. That's cool. Iack Dolph in space checkmate. Plus, he's got an identical twin brother who's also an astronaut. Like, how cool is that? This is just like the Kelsey brothers if they stayed in school. I mean, just think of all the crazy pranks they could pull. They could switch places. And now the other twin is the one doing absolutely nothing as VP. But as of today, it looks like the front runner is Pennsylvania's Josh Shapiro. He's popular, He's the governor of a pivotal swing state. And I know I'm a foreigner who can understand English, but just listen to this guy speak, because I mean, is he is he doing an Obama?
Speaker 8: You could not have a clear contrast in this race.
Speaker 9: You could not have a clear contrast between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you something.
Speaker 8: He's pretty afraid, yo sees he's backing out in the bank.
Speaker 6: He's afraid to stand tone to tone with our vice president because he.
Speaker 3: Can't run away from his record any long. Okay, that's not just me, right, Like we all we all hear that. Like I was always expecting him to be like and that's why you should vote for me, Josh Hussein Shapiro. It's like he's hyping himself up for politics by listening to Obama's old speeches, and the cadence is like getting stuck in his head. I mean, I bet if I put a photo of Obama up on the screen, you would have no idea it was a Josh Shapiro speech.
Speaker 8: He knows what he's doing, He's got no guardrails around him anymore, and he's told us what he wants to do.
Speaker 3: What my angelous say. When someone tells you who they are, believe them. I mean even the Maya Angelo reference is laying on a little thike. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama asked him for his birth certificate. I'm like, wait, are you me at this? And it could be smart for Harris to pick him. I mean she could be like, hey, Trump, you think I'm pretending to be black, Well check out my VP anyway soon soon. Well, no, which one of these guys it is? And there was some other names thrown around, like Gretchen Whitmer or west Wall or Gino Romondo, but there's just something about them that the news media doesn't think will work.
Speaker 7: Sure would help if there was a reassuring white guy who looked like all of our most of our past presidents to help her out.
Speaker 8: She needs a southern white male to balance out the ticket.
Speaker 2: He's gonna need a white male, and if you can get one from a swing state, I think it's really important.
Speaker 3: I do wonder if it is inevitable that this is a white man summer as far as it can as it concerns Tamala Harris's running name. I mean, that is so blunt. At least be subtle about it. They should say, like, hey, if Kamala wants to win, somebody who wears cargo shorts and can play wonder Wall on the guitar and some white guys. For more analysis on the importance of a balanced ticket, let's go live to the Harris campaign headquarters with Desi Lighteggie Degie. Does it have to be a white guy? I mean, why can't there be two women on the ticket?
Speaker 7: Whoa whoa, whoa whoa Ronnie an all female ticket. America couldn't even handle an all female Ghostbusters. No, no, this is not the time to push voters too far. Just pick a white guy. You can still have diversity. You got the backwoods white, the space white, the eggshell white, the medium beige white. It's a whole paint swatch book. If you're painting your kitchen Caucasian.
Speaker 3: Okay, Desi, I don't think you're giving people enough credit. Okay. America elected Obama twice, Hillary won the popular vote, and I think America can handle two women on a ticket.
Speaker 7: Oh, Ronnie, you sweet optimistic guy who can't vote here. Look, I would love to have an all woman ticket, but people would lose their minds. What if they sink up their periods with every woman in the country every month will be like the purge?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, but doesn't this limit Harris's options? Well?
Speaker 7: Perhaps, But a male VP benefits Kamala too. She'll need a white man by her side in the situation room so that when she has an idea, he can repeat it louder a minute later. That way, the joint chiefs will actually hear it.
Speaker 3: You know. That is a good point, Desie. I mean also, when she has an idea, he could repeat it louder a minute later, so that the joint chief will actually hear it.
Speaker 7: Great point, Ronnie, great point. This all comes down to a political science theory known as the law of presidential genitals.
Speaker 3: See, when it comes to.
Speaker 7: A campaign ticket in America, you can have a V on the top, or you can have a V on the bottom, but you can't have the two coming together like this.
Speaker 3: Well, see, you just can't.
Speaker 7: You can't do you see when I'm doing, Ronnie, do you understand this is graduate level stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I do. I just don't get why Americans have been okay to have like two to two peas on one ticket like this. I mean, what about this?
Speaker 7: Oh no, Ronnie, you got to stop doing that. That looks like two dicks.
Speaker 3: No, this is serious. Okay, I'm sorry, You're right? Does it lie? Like everybody?
Speaker 10: When you come back, Adam Pinsinger will be joining us, I don't go away.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Darry Show. My guest tonight is a former GOP lawmaker who is the Advisory Council co chair of Power the Polls, a national, non partisan effort to recruit the next generation of POE workers to ensure safe and fay elections for all voters. Please welcome Representative Adam Kinsinger, now Congressman Congressman. Thanks, will be on the show. Great to be here. Thank you. Stuck your neck out politically and personally to put politics over personal benefit the party. Some would say country over party to speak against Trump despite being a congressman for the Republicans. Why the did you do that? I ask myself that every day.
Speaker 6: No, look, I really had no other option. I mean, so I wear on my wrist the name of a guy Andreas O'Keeffe, who I knew who was killed in Iraq, and I'm an Iraq veteran, and I just remember thinking when I ran for Congress the first time, if we're going to ask young people to be willing to die for a country, like to be willing to fight and die the ultimate sacrifice. If I go into politics, I have to be willing to give my career for the same cause. It's such a minor sacrifice in comparison to what we ask people to do every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what was what was your problem with Trump?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: You know, the fascism, the overthrowing the government, you know, those kinds of things.
Speaker 3: I mean, you would think that's a pretty big issue, but I guess not big enough. I mean, you have insight because you were in Congress from twenty eleven until twenty twenty three, I think, and so you have kind of behind the scenes access. You talk to these people all the time. And I think it's very popular to say America has never been more divisive than is now. You have perspective on it. You know, you've been that UF a long time and you were working day. Is that true? Was it device way Flass went in. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, it's you know, behind the scenes. It's kind of like any job. So people will fight on the air, you know, within Congress, and then when the cameras come off, shake each other's hands, maybe go out for drink. That's happened less lately. I mean there's a real division that started to creep in where people just hate each other now because of political differences. I mean, they can't stand to be around each other. But I think if America actually saw the behind the scenes of what was happening, they'd be like, man, I can't believe they're manipulating us to fight each other as deeply as we are out here when they back there are just kind of playing the game, and it's really a sad state of affairs.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you'll experienced opinion is that it is getting more divisive.
Speaker 6: I think Congress, I think the country certainly, and in Congress, yes, I think they're just starting to I mean, you got Marjorie Taylor Green there for goodness sake. I mean, like, who would get along with her in real life?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean would the potty people get along with her?
Speaker 6: They love her now because she raises money for him because she goes out there and gets attention and so yeah, but when I when she was there, When I was there, initially she was a pariah until she started getting on TV and tweeting and ever, and then she became pretty popular in the party.
Speaker 3: Somehow, but like genuine like you know, professionally popular or would they actually be now they're now friends, But I think there's.
Speaker 6: Probably some that, like to you know, that would be a friend with her because access to power. But yeah, mostly it's just professional.
Speaker 3: And in your again expert opinion, how much of this is I like to believe that it's just internet bullshit that gets taken into real life. And in real life we don't behave like this, But for some reason, these people have managed to take the comments section and bring it, you know, So how much of that is is real? And I'm all say, how much of it is this internet mentality? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean, look, I think a significant amount of it is. It's this is kind of the untold secret Titians watch Twitter and so when you see things happening on Twitter this way, I mean Donald Trump was the master at this. You'd see some conspiracy pop up and he'd give a nod to it. And what's happened is leaders have gone from like supposed to be leading and talking about, you know, trying to direct opinion right, trying to lead us to a better place, to now following insanity. And it's basically like a dog now chasing its tail out in the middle of traffic. And I think that's what you're seeing.
Speaker 3: On that note, like what what what is the solution? I mean, in your opinion, how how can Americans come to get and bridge this kind of.
Speaker 6: The solution is in all of us. I mean, and I'm not trying to sound like esoteric and like big word like really, we control government. It's truly government for even by the people. We've got to quit voting for these clowns that decide they want to go there and be more famous than they want to do good those for this point, we need to We need to make sure our presidents actually care about something more than their own ego and more than their own narcissism. They care about it, I'm sure, and I mean that like I really am soking. I just I truly believe that America can take our political system back. We have to believe we can, and we have to say, enough of you abusing us for money, for followers, for likes. We demand mature, grown up government.
Speaker 3: So and you'll here to talk about Power the poll about that. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, Look, one of the most important things in an election is just the ability to actually do that election. And you think about poll workers, especially on election day. They're out there, you know, grinding down every day. They're starting at whatever, six seven in the morning, going till night to make sure that you can vote, to make sure the lines are moving and they're done quickly.
Speaker 3: That is the bulwark of.
Speaker 6: Making sure that an election is free, fair and accurate. And so Power the Polls is about recruiting a million poll workers to work and defend of the next generation of poll workers and states you can be as young as sixteen or seventeen to go work in the polls. It's a great way to serve your community, to connect to the community, and so Power the Polls dot org go there, and it's a great time to sign.
Speaker 3: Up to do this. Yeah, it's it's kind of a civic duty. It is. It is paid. Oh you get paid you can yeah, Okay, I then forget my question. I was going I was gonna say I was gonna say, it feels a bit like a thankless task at the moment they try to power American democracy is like, ugh, you know, why go through that right now?
Speaker 6: It does feel like a thankless task. And that's the sad thing is, especially the next generation, which is what power the polls is focused on. They have been They've been so beaten down on democracy. Democracy to them is just like, well, it's just what people say to go after each other. We have to inspire that generation because look, I really believe this next generation is going to be the ones to take the keys out of the hands of the people that have been holding the keys to power too long. And there's no better way to get started than to be a young person and see how democracy works in the nuts and bolts.
Speaker 3: Right, And if you're fitting fused, raided by the system and you don't know where to start, this sounds like a way to kind of Look, I just want to get involved. I don't want to get bogged down in some weird cultural war. I just want to help my country.
Speaker 6: And look, and you're going to be working with people that have different political views in you all committed to democracy. If we can all agree on that basic thing. I think there's seriously, there's no limits to the future of this country. We just have to convince ourselves in it.
Speaker 3: So what And you know, as someone coming from a conservative background, like, why is it that whenever we talk about like voting access, election access, why does that always feel like a left issue? Right? It's crazy.
Speaker 6: It's because for whatever reason, there's a they feel threatened in the GOP that the more people vote, the more in danger they are. And I think we know why because what they're talking about today, what you see them out there discussing, is not what the vast majority of Americans wants. The thing they can hope is to turn that the base out.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 6: I think it should be a nonpartisan or bipartisan or whatever issue to say, if you have a right to vote in this country, we should make it as accessible and easy for you to vote. And then, by the way, if you can't win, then go out and get better ideas to get people to vote for you.
Speaker 3: That's going through life. And what I love about having you on the show is, you know, we get to talk to people outside of on a go chamber. I think a little bit. I mean, what is your conservative argument for voting for a democratic president.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's really easy. I believe in democracy. I mean democracy was I was there on January sixth. I had to live through that, standing for the constitution, standing for democracy. There is nothing more conservative than that. And Donald Trump is the exact opposite of that. So for me, Kamala Harris is going to defend that democracy. And I think every Republican that takes their views viewpoint seriously, old school Republican, not whatever this new thing is, should be voting the same way.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, thank you, Congressman. I really wish you want former Congressman. I wish you are current Congressman. I wish you could run again. Thank you so much for coming and speak to us, and thank you for trying to do something for a country. Power of the polls today this National poll Worker Retruitment Day, So please consider joining us to power the polls this November by signing up at a lig blow Representative Adam Kinsinger, everybody, Man of honor, Man of honor. We'll do take a quick grant, will were right, We'll be right back after the Welcome back to the Daily Show. My next guest tonight is an Oscar nominated actor who starts in the new film The Instigators. Please welcome hometown and to be on the show. You're the first OSCAR nominated actor I get to interview.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, that's really shocking.
Speaker 3: It's not that it's pretty hard to get nominated. I mean you you have like a I feel like you're in a great place in culture right now because you're in all these shows that like.
Speaker 1: I wake up every morning and think I'm a great I'm in a great place in court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you are. You got, you got. You're in the You're nominated for your work in The Whale, you are in ASTROI City, Wes Anderson, You're in the Menu, You're in Watchmen. They're all these kind of like really oddy, like uh creekly acclaimed films and TV shows, And I mean I feel like, are you purposely going a little bit under the radar or is the system suppressing agents? Like which one is it? What is?
Speaker 1: I try not to wake up every morning thinking that the world is against me and because I'm Asian, but no, I honestly wish that I knew that I had more control over what I did. But all of the work that comes to me, it's come really organically. Every job that I've gotten has been because the director has seen me in something prior. I got Watchmen because Damon saw me and Downsizing, and you know, those two characters are very different. I was in Kinds of Kindness, which came out recently because your ghost saw me in Kelly Reichhardt's movie showing up again, two very different movies.
Speaker 3: So just by being super talented and uh yeah you just yeah cloud Through. Yeah, it's amazing. It's super cool. Because I say that just because I feel like you're non social media really or you're not you know.
Speaker 1: Who has the time? I mean a lot of people have the time.
Speaker 3: Cares nothing but time for social media. No, I agree with you. I think it's different, Like it's so nice to be able to pull yourself into your craft. I feel that's that's my impression of you. It's my first time meeting you, but just based on how you conduct yourself, you know, like the I feel like you devote someone to a craft and like the show the show business side of things. Is that a conscious decision? No?
Speaker 1: I mean I guess it's because I never grew up wanting to be an actor. I never saw myself in front of the camera. I was very introverted. I'm I'm still kind of introverted, if I'm being honest, and so I just always whenever I do my work, I just show up and I just want to be of service.
Speaker 3: You know, you're so introverted. You decided to become the greatest actor of all time for millions and millions of people in hit films and as no, I believe you. I'm not. I'm not sitting you. I'm not saying you're lie. I believe you. It's just funny that, like, how how do you you reconcile you know, being introverted, and I believe that you're genuinely like that with you know, being with Matt Damon. You know, you're messaging him, You're in his films and you're this your normal for an Oscar and all the press that goes with that, Like, how does.
Speaker 1: That well, Matt suggested me for the Instigator.
Speaker 3: On a first name basis of this, guys, inter us don't do that. Inter Us don't all my friend, Brad, I mean yeah, yeah, yeah, but yeah, like it was that thing your way of like getting out of your show or what.
Speaker 1: Made you Yeah, I am I took. I took improv classes in public speaking classes after work. After I graduated college as a full adult, I was doing this and it was just something that I did because I knew it would you know, I would be standing in my own way.
Speaker 3: Right, So you like you force yourself to kind of overcome it a bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I felt nauseous before every improv class, like really sick to my stomach.
Speaker 3: But obviously you something over it. I don't know how, because I wasn't you know. I'm again, I don't know you that well, so I don't know how much you're exaggerating. How introverted you know? No, it was bad.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 3: It's pretty bad. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure you could find some people that I used to work with or went to school with, and they.
Speaker 3: Would tell you like, oh, she's so quiet. Yeah, and the next thing you know, you're gegn So what is it?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 3: What can you talk about process a little bit? Because I think it's very interesting, Like when you being so shy and introverted, how does that translate into into No?
Speaker 1: I think I just really love movies. I love films, I love directors, and so whenever I'm working on something, it really excites me who the director is and what the script is, and my preparation is just reading the script over and over again. That's really all it.
Speaker 3: Is, right, Yeah, Okay, Well it's easier for some people. Then all go I do is just I was a shy and I read a script in mad Dam and put me in a more and then next thing, I know, if Oscar's the season. So it's like you, it's like you tripped and fell into the best career of all time. Yeah, and it truly does like your work kind of speaks for yourself, which is really nice. You know, like you don't have to. I feel like you don't even need to promote it that much because everyone knows the face and the name and the wook.
Speaker 1: And that's good because I've been doing a lot of promoting all week and I wish I had known.
Speaker 3: I wish I had known. Can you talk talk a little bit about your background, because I just find it very interesting you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm Vietnamese and my parents left Vietnam after the war in seventy nine. They left by boat, part of the whole boat people boat Exodus, and my mom was actually six months pregnant with me and my dad got shot that night as they were leaving, and so they were on a boat for three days. My brother was five, my older brother, and somehow they landed up. They ended up at a refugee camp in Highland, and that's where I was born, and we had a sponsored family in New Orleans, Orleans. And now I'm here talking to you.
Speaker 3: That's such a good goal from Vitnamese refugees to New Orleans residents.
Speaker 1: To to Oh no, I know, I'm very scary, aren't I.
Speaker 3: And my wife's family is she's Vietnamese. Yeah, she's Vietnamese. The same thing happened to the end they escape South Vietnam. So I gone and went to Australia instead. And my wife always tries to like reconnect with the Vietnamese culture, and she bakes these cakes. And she baked this when she found out, my wife, Hannah, when she found out that you were on the show, She's like, ok can I make her a Vietnamese cake? And she made you a traditional Vietnamese bumble. Okay, yeah, look at my white hats bumbo. Okay, okay, did you try something I got to doing to earth? Okay? I hate I hate to go into the.
Speaker 1: Stereotype of this is this is one of my worst nightmares is eating on camera.
Speaker 3: It's okay, are you you got normal for an Oscar? You can? You can pretend like this.
Speaker 1: This could be like your thing, like what's the chicken wing show?
Speaker 3: The ones yours.
Speaker 1: Could be like or Hannah could do a Vietnamese Yeah, she got just featured in the New York Times.
Speaker 3: This is a New York Times bumbo? Wow, wow, can you tell her all delicious?
Speaker 1: Rocklan locklan long, come on, come.
Speaker 3: On, Okay, The Instigators well debut with select theaters August second, and then we'll be available on Apple TV plus August Knife. Everybody please go for Oscar Nomina. What about to take a quick break? Let me be right back after this. That's how show were tonight. Now here it is your moment of them.
Speaker 9: Nacari. I'm half Colombian, but for the purposes of this panel, I guess I will be black. How do you think Vice President Harris handled her response to Trump?
Speaker 8: No, I think that this is an amazing moment in American TV history because we can all tell the audience at that time we turned black. For me, it was about ninety nine, two thousand when I first heard juveniles back that ass up, and I had a rhythmic cadence to my dance. At that moment, I knew I was white.
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 3: Get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven.
Speaker 9: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 3: Plus Paramount podcasts mm HM