Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: It feels like foreshadowing from a movie. To have the last conversation ever between two sisters be a true farewell is heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right, and throughout my career, research for my many audio and book projects has taken me around the world. On Wicked Words, I sit down with the people I've met along the way, amazing writers, journalists, filmmakers, and podcasters who have investigated and reported on notorious true crime cases. This is about the choices writers make, both good and and it's a deep dive into the unpublished details behind their stories. In the summer of nineteen sixty seven, a family of nine was murdered in their home by a stranger in rural Canada. It was one of the worst random mass shootings in the country's history. There's a podcast that covers the whole story, called the Shell Lake Massacre. The host, Britney Cafe, grew up not far from Shell Lake and she has a very personal connection to the story. She's close to one of the survivors. Before we get into the story, let's just talk about how you found it. How you discovered it to begin with.
Speaker 2: So, I grew up in a small town in Saskatchewan called Leoville, tiny little community that is surrounded by other tiny little communities. And as I was growing up, there was almost this ghost story that we would hear about the Shell Lake massacre, which was an entire family that was murdered in their own home. It's really like the perfect fodder for a ghost story in a small rural community. And as I grew up, I was always kind of curious about this story. And then I got married to my husband, whose great aunt happens to be Kathy Hill, who is the sole surviving member of the Peterson family who were the victims of the Shelley Massacre.
Speaker 1: How do you approach somebody in your husband's family about not only just talking about this story, but talking about it on a podcast, Because from what I read, she had said, I am done. I don't want to talk to anybody else. It was like two thousand and two or something where she just said, that's it, I'm done talking about it. It is like an albatross around my neck. Everybody knows me based on this story, and I am so much more than just the terrible thing that happened to my family. And then you come in.
Speaker 2: It was an interesting phone call. I'll say that I had just turned to work. I work at a radio station in Saskatoon. I had just returned to work from maternity leave, and I had this idea that I wanted to tell the story of the Peterson family, not necessarily the story of the Shell Lake massacre, but the story of the family because through all of the books that I've read about this, the things that I've seen online, it tends to focus more on the way that they died, which was brutal and horrific, and there wasn't a lot of information about the type of people that they were and the kind of life that they lived. So my goal was to connect with people who actually knew the Peterson family and could speak to the quality of their character as well as shed some light on what exactly happened to this family.
Speaker 1: And this is I think something that I talked to all of my college students about, which is putting the victims first, which often we don't hear in true crime, and you know, certainly trying to illuminate their lives so that they are not relegated to being just victims or just survivors. And that was Kathy's big complaint, is that she was labeled as part of this family that was almost that infamous at that point in that time, and it was something that was weighing her down. Is the sense that I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think often in true crime coverage, whether it's podcasts or the media in general, the dignity of the victims is something that's often forgotten. We want to make it as salacious and as clickable as possible. And to me, especially with these people because they're so closely tied to people who I hold very close to my heart, the dignity of the victims was at the forefront of every decision I made. As I put this piece together, I would kind of weigh like, is this fact going to keep Jim peterson dignity intact? If not, it most likely doesn't need to be out there. There are certain things like the crime scene photos and stuff like that that I've been able to gain access to through accessing court records and case files from the police here in Canada that what good would putting them out there do. It's not going to add anything productive to the narrative. It's just going to cause people pain. So I don't see any value in adding that.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to have that kind of a debate about what to include. I have that with my books sometimes, particularly with diaries. In one of my books in American Sherlock, I had a case about a woman who may or may not have been murdered by her husband in the bathtub, and I wanted to clearly illustrate that, at least in this part of their lives, she was not documenting in her diary that this was a terrible man, that they were having any kind of marital troubles. And so I was pulling excerpts that were actually really sweet, like they were holding their kids hand together, and all of this stuff that did not feel like it was exploitative. And then I always have to double check and just think, Okay, I just want to make sure this woman is not someone who wanted her diary published in sixty thousand copies of books. But at the same time, does it prove something that's relevant to the story. And I think a lot of people don't do that, and it sounds like you did as a creator, you weighed all of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, even coming from such a small community, I knew as soon as people found out that I planned on doing a podcast about this story, people would start to talk. As soon as we made the announcement that the podcast was coming on social media. There were a lot of people in the community who were concerned about the intentions behind this and whether it would just dredge up really old, painful memories for everyone. So I made a conscious effort to really be sensitive to people's and interestingly, as I talked to the different people I was able to speak with, be it Kathy or a reporter who was one of the first people on the scene, the neighbors who lived right next door and were some of the first people to view the crime scene. It turned into almost this healing journey for everyone along the way to be able to tell their stories in the way that they wanted them to be told, and now to have it kind of immortalized their version of their own story, to have their actual voices on it has been such a powerful thing. One of the women that I spoke with is ninety four year old Marjorie Seminar, who was a next door neighbor to the Petersons and a good friend of one of the victims. And I've had a handful of her family members reach out since and just comment on what a gift it is to have Marjorie's own story, in her own words out there. So that's been a pretty remarkable part of this for me.
Speaker 1: And sometimes that would be my when people criticize true crime as purely entertainment and you're exploiting, you know, people's deaths and murders and there's nothing but sort of salacious entertainment to offer, and I just say, that is not true, and you're obviously not listening to the right true crime or reading it or consuming it. That is not true. And I think that this podcast is an illustration of that. I mean, we do get to talk about mental illness, which is really valuable. You get to talk about an area of the world I'm very unfamiliar with, and really I think that what I had read about also is just the way that these murders resonated not just through this family to Kathy Hill, but also throughout the community and the impact for people to be upset or cautious maybe is a better word for a podcast that is occurring almost sixty years after it happened. You would think that this would have been not something that anyone blinked about, but it just shows the impact on the community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the story of the Shelleake Massacre is one that has echoed through the prairies of Saskatchewan for nearly a century. It's been almost sixty years. People have not forgotten, but in my opinion, we weren't remembering the right parts of this story. You know, Jim and Evelyn Peterson and their children were people. They were regular farmers who had a good life. They had no enemies in the community. They were loved by their daughter, who still to this day has such fond memories of them. And to be able to give her a platform to share those memories and something that her grandchildren and great grandchildren can go back and listen to someday felt like such a gift for me to be able to be a part of that.
Speaker 1: Well, we've had an awful lot of build up here about this story, so maybe we actually should get to the story. This is more built than I usually have on this show. We should get to the story. So This is nineteen sixty seven and in an area I have never ever been to. I adore Canada. This is not an area I've been to, though, So tell me a little bit what it was like. And in the sixties no less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we're a bit further north in Saskatchewan than I am right now in Saskatoon. Very very rural area, tons of farms right now. The current population of Shell Lake is about one hundred and eighty nine people, so very small community. It would have been a little bit bigger back in the sixties, but not by a ton. So we go back and we get to know a little bit about the Peterson family. Jim Peterson was a veteran. He served in the Second World War and when he returned from the war, he married Evelyn. They got married in nineteen forty six and just a couple of years later they started their family. They ended up having ten children together, which very busy household of Kathy Hill was their oldest child. She was followed by Jean, a sister named Anne who unfortunately died in infancy, Mary, Dorothy, Pearl, William, Phillis, Colin and Larry. Quite a big family.
Speaker 1: Wow, And what is the age range when all of this terrible stuff happens in nineteen sixty seven, what are the ranges of the kids. Kathy's gone, right, she's married.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Kathy in nineteen sixty seven was nineteen years old and baby Larry was only one, so there was quite a vast range in the ages of their children. But they lived a good life. They were a happy family. They didn't have a ton of money, but Jim was a very hard worker, a reliable guy. If you needed something, he would be there for you to help you. He loved his kids. Evelyn was very mild mannered, very quiet. Kathy talks about how her mom was just kind of in the background of their family, but that's the way that Evelyn liked things. She would take quiet time in the morning to go milk the cows. Just a simple, happy life for the Petersons. They moved into a small white farmhouse right near the highway in the early sixties, so just a few years before the incident took place. Prior to that, they had lived in a bigger house, but it wasn't very warm in the winter, and in Saskatchewan it gets very cold here in the winter. They moved in the early sixties to this small white farmhouse by the highway that Jim had actually lived in as a child, and it was tiny. There were only two bedrooms in this house, no indoor bathroom, So a family of eleven living in a two bedroom house was pretty twite squeeze.
Speaker 1: And Evelyn was a homemaker. She obviously had only enough time to take care of the kids. It sounds like that's a handful. Yeah, that's right. So Evelyn was a homemaker. She stayed home, took care of the house, took care of the kids. And Jim was a farmer, so he'd be out working in the fields. They also had quite a few animals. They had horses, cows, they had a dog named Skippy. They just lived a good Saskatchewan farm life. That's the best way I can really sum it up. No crime. I can't even imagine a stolen cow every once in a while from a stranger. I mean, what happens with a town of less than two hundred people in the sixties.
Speaker 2: Not a lot. There was not a lot of crime going on at the time. There was no RCMP detachment, which that's our police in Canada, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, so There was no police detachment in Shell Lake. The nearest one would have been in spirit Wood, and they usually only had one person on duty at a time. It was a very small detachment. So that was Saskatchewan in the sixties. As we head later into nineteen sixty, we head to nineteen sixty seven, Kathy Hill got married. She married Lee Hill, who is my husband's great uncle. That's where my connection with Kathy comes in. Her sister Jean, was a bridesmaid at her wedding. Her mom helped her do her hair and get ready. Her dad wore his nicest suit. She tell the just a beautiful story about her wedding and her memories from that day. Two days later, her husband, Lee and her packed up their vehicle and got ready to head off to Chetwyn, British Columbia, which was about sixteen hour drive long haul. Kathy was moving away from home. Her husband had gotten a job and she was ready to leave. As they were packing up the vehicle and saying goodbye to her family, Kathy vividly recalls her sister Jean, who was seventeen at the time, saying goodbye to her, and Jean was crying and saying to Kathy that she thought she'd never see her again, and Kathy kind of reassured her, like, we'll see each other again. It's fine, Jeane. And that was the last time that the two sisters spoke.
Speaker 1: When you talked to Kathy about that, So Kathy the lone survivor of this, she's just simply out of the house at this point when you talk to Kathy about all of this, is that the moment that she remembers as the most before she finds out what happens, is the moment that is sort of the most heartbreaking or was there a conversation with her mom or an image that.
Speaker 2: Moment with Jeane definitely seems like it stands out to Kathy. A lot of things from that time are really a blur for her. It's hard to remember. It's almost like she's just pushed so much of this so far out of her mind. But that last conversation with Jeane, and almost looking back, it feels like foreshadowing from a movie, Like you couldn't write a line like that. To have the last conversation ever between two sisters be a true farewell is heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: Now, remind me, what is the space between when Kathy and Lee leave the farmhouse to when this happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kathy left on July ninth, nineteen sixty seven, and August fifteenth, nineteen sixty seven is when the murders took place. So a little over a month after she left home and started her new life as a newlywed, this took place.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about what happens on August fifteenth. And I guess just set the scene for me. Is it nighttime? When I say August? Is that warm? And my definition of warm is different than yours, I'm pretty sure? So what is the night like when this happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fairly warm in Saskatchewan at that time of year, at little bit of mist in the air perhaps, but in general, a pretty It would have been a pretty nice night. I'll actually take you to. Later on in the morning of August fifteenth, a neighbor named wil Drew Lang was set to come over that day to spend some time with Jim and help him get some work done. Jim and Wildrew had actually set up together. They had planned to empty out some feed bins because Jim wanted to sell some grain to send his daughter Jean to track and field camp in Dunder and he needed to earn some extra money. So at about eight in the morning on August fifteenth, nineteen sixty seven, Wildrew came to the Peterson farm and he noticed that Jim and the family wasn't awake yet. Nobody was awake. The farmyard and the house were quiet, and Wildrew assumed that they must have just slept in. So he decided to do his friend of favor and he started emptying the grain bins by himself. About an hour passed and Wildrew started to get very suspicious. The house was still completely silent, which for a family with that many children and that young of children, they're not going to be that quiet that late into the morning. So will Drew set down the shovel and started to approach the home. He noticed that the front door was slightly a jar. As he walked up, he called out for Jim a handful of times, and there was no response. So he made his way up the front steps of the home and pushed the door just slightly more a jar, just enough for him to step in. And as he stepped in, he noticed the body of Jim Peterson laying face down on his stomach, on the floor of the entryway to the home. He was covered in blood. There was a pool of blood beneath him, and there was like a smeared trail of blood on the linoleum in the kitchen. So will Drew immediately noticed that Jim wasn't moving. He was sure that his friend was dead, and he backed out of the home and jumped into Jim's station wagon and drove into Shell Lake to call the RCMP because there were no phones in the homes at the time, so he needed to leave and get the police to come.
Speaker 1: And he had no inclination right then whether he had been shot or stabbed or anything. He just saw blood and very smartly left, which is what the police would have told him to do. Anyway. What is the time span between when the RCMP shows up and when Wildrew had made that discovery.
Speaker 2: It was a pretty quick turnover. Will Drew sped back to Shell Lake called the RCMP in Spiritwood. It's only about a fifteen to twenty minute drive between Spiritwood and Shell Lake, so the RCMP made their way there fairly quickly. As soon as Wildrew made the call to the RCMP and Shell Lake, he headed back to the Peterson home just so he could kind of keep watch over the house. And as he was driving back, he noticed a friend and neighbor of the peters Since, mister Alvin Seminar out in his yard. They lived right down the highway from the Petersons. They were the next house. They were very close with the family. So wil Drew waved down Alvin and told him, like, there's something going on. I'm sure that Jim is laying dead in his entry way. I need you to come with me and help me because I don't know what to do. I was lucky enough to speak with Alvin's wife, missus Marjorie's Seminar, and I also spoke with his daughter Gail and his son Dennis, and all of them, all these years later, have such vivid memories of that entire day. Dennis was only ten years old at the time, and he was out with his dad when Wildrew stopped and waved them down, and he can remember his dad telling him to run and put Jim's horses in because the horses were out in the field. There were a bunch of things that were just a miss that day that the Seminars had noticed from the moment they woke up, really, so Dennis remembers running to put the horses back in and mister Siminar headed with Will Drew to the Peterson home to meet the police as they arrived.
Speaker 1: But as we know of right now, it's just Jim Peterson who's dead, and he's sort of in the entryway. But this is not a big house, and nobody else is making a sound. So I'm assuming that these two men are incredibly nervous about what they're about to get into because they realize that there are what nine more people? Is that how many more people are going to be in the house?
Speaker 2: Ultimately, Yeah, so there are nine other people in the house. Evelyn and the children are still, as far as they know, in the house. Nobody has stepped foot further than the entryway into the house. So all we know at this point is that Jim Peterson is dead, and that changes very quickly when Corporal Barry Richards with the Spirit with RCMP, arrives on the scene. I was able to obtain a copy of corpor Richards's statement from the RCMP case file, which was actually released to me shortly after the first episode of the podcast dropped. They released the entire case file to me, So through that I was able to see Corpor Richard's statement where he recounts exactly what it was like for him to go through that house.
Speaker 1: So the RCMP shows up and Wilfrid and Alvin were outside just kind of keeping watch. They had not gone back in. I'm assuming right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's correct. Will Drew and mister Siminar stayed outside. They did not go back in the house. They waited for Corpor Richards to show up, and he was the first one in the home. In his statement, he recounts how he walked in and noticed, yes, Jim Peterson is here. He's not moving, he's dead. He stepped over mister Peterson and turned into the living room of the home, where he immediately noticed eleven year old Dorothy on a cot in the living room. He walked closer and could tell that she was dead as well, So he turned to enter one of the bedrooms, which is where the rest of the Peterson children slept. In one bed, he saw seventeen year old Jean along with nine year old Pearl, and in the next bed he saw thirteen year old Mary with her brothers, five year old William and three year old call In as he was standing in the room, he didn't see movement. There were no sounds, and he thought everyone in here is dead. He stood looking around, and suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, he saw the tiniest bit of movement next Jeane, and he noticed that there was a little girl laying face down on the mattress, trying not to move and not to make any noise. And it was four year old Phyllis. Phyllis was still alive and in the house, but at that time, Corpora Richards had not finished his search of the home. He didn't know if the person who had done this was still there. He didn't know where the mother and the baby were, so he left Phyllis and carried on with his search. He walked back through the living room, through the kitchen, and into Jim and Evelyn's bedroom. No one was there. There was only an open window.
Speaker 1: Wait, I was not expecting that, really, just an open window. So Evelyn and the baby are missing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the mother and the baby are not in the house. Corpor Richards made his way outside and told Will Drew and Alvin what he had found in the house. And he told them there's one little girl still alive in the house, and he asked these two burly farm men if one of them would come back in and help him, because he was obviously scared to go back in, and both of the men told him no, they couldn't do it, and they wouldn't do it because they were scared too. Yeah, So corpor Richards walked back into the house, back into the children's bedroom, and he recounts how so he tapped little Phyllis on the shoulder three or four times, and she very slowly raised herself up on her elbows and turned her head toward him. And when she made eye contact with him and realized that he was someone who was there to help her, not to hurt her, she asked, where are you going to.
Speaker 1: Take me now?
Speaker 2: And he didn't respond. He just pulled back the bloody covers, picked her up and carried her out of a house of horrors?
Speaker 1: Does he hand her Phyllis over to one of the men and then goes on a search to find the mother and the baby in this family?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he handed Phyllis over to Alvin Siminar, and thankfully Alvin's wife Marjorie was on her way over Dennis once he had finished chasing in the horses had gone over to the house and Alvin told him, you need to go get your mom. So Dennis ran back home and his mom made her way to the house, and by the time Marjorie arrived at the house, Phyllis was out and in Alvin's arms, covered in blood. So Corpora Richards instructed Marjorie, take this little girl and get her out of here. She can't be here. So Marjorie bundled up Phyllis and Marjorie still remembers how Phyllis was so soaked in blood that just from Marjorie taking her into her arms. Marjorie was soaked in blood, and she bundled her up, put her in her car, and brought her back to their house. You know, in this intense state of shock, she was trying to wrap her mind around everything that was going on. The only thing that she could think to do was wash the blood off of this little girl. So Marjorie sat Phyllis up on her kitchen counter and took a washclock to this little girl and cleaned the blood of her family members off of her. Marjorie's memory of this is so vivid and so distinct, which was so impactful for me to hear this ninety four year old woman recount the most horrific experience of her life, and it stayed with her so vividly.
Speaker 1: And she's checking for injuries, and there don't appear to be any injuries at all on the four year old on Phyllis.
Speaker 2: No Phyllis seems to be completely unharmed. So once Phyllis has gone with Marjorie, Corporal Richards he actually has to leave the home because again there's no phones, so he had to head to Shell Lake again to use the phone to call for backup. A mass murder of this magnitude had not happened in Canada, so he called for backup immediately, and because back then with the phone system there would be a phone operator, word had started to spread that something was going on at the Petersons and that it was very bad, and the rumor mill kind of started churning immediately. People in Shell Lake and in the surrounding areas started speculating right away that because Evelyn wasn't there, it must have been a murder suicide, or maybe a jilted lover of Kathy who had just gotten married, which was completely true and really hurtful to the entire family, And Marjorie said too. As soon as she heard those rumors that maybe it was Evelyn, she knew there was no chance. Evelyn was the most mild, loving mother and there was no way she could have done this. So as reinforcements began to arrive, they noticed something behind the house, and they found the bodies of Evelyn and baby Larry behind the house, just outside of that open window, near a rain barrel. It's assumed at that point that Evelyn had taken the baby, who was sleeping in a crib in her room, and climbed out the window with baby Larry and in an attempt to escape the house.
Speaker 1: When are they thinking this happened in the middle of the night, because all the kids were in bed and then Jim heard something and that's how he ended up near the front door, but everybody else stayed in bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they assume it had only happened a few hours later. They right away police. I'm honestly, considering how long ago this crime happened. I'm very impressed with how the RCMP handled this case. They were incredibly thorough. They brought in as many different units as they could. They had forensics. In their dusting for fingerprints, they actually pulled up pieces of the linoleum that had pretty distinct bootprints in blood. They lifted the entire piece of linoleum in hopes that they would be able to find someone with a bootprint that matched. They went around the home looking for cartridges, which interestingly, they only found a handful of cartridges, so they could tell that whoever had done this had gone around the home picking up cartridges. Trying to cover their tracks. They brought in canine units to search the area. They did really everything in their power that they could at that time, but they were getting nowhere.
Speaker 1: If they don't recover a weapon. Are they looking at the cartridges and saying it's probably this type of gun. Could they get that far a rifle or shotgun or pistol or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they could tell generally what type of gun it was. The issue was everyone in the area had guns at that time. This was not an uncommon thing for a farmer to have a rifle by the door, so it almost seemed like a wild goose chase of sorts. The police started questioning pretty much everyone in the area who had anything to do with Jim Peterson and eventually anyone in the area, even if they had nothing to do with Jim Peterson. My grandparents actually lived just over an hour away from Shell Lake, and my grandma and grandpa can remember getting a knock at their door and it was the RCMP asking to look around the yard, look at any guns that they had. It was a massive search that in those first few days after the crime really led them nowhere.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go back to Kathy real quick. She is gone. She's been gone for a little over a month with Lee and sixteen hours away. At what point between when Will Drew discovers them, our CMP shows up. Is Kathy then notified of everything that's happened. Is this before her mother and her little brother are discovered or is it after?
Speaker 2: So Kathy actually didn't have a phone in her new home, so no one was able to reach Kathy for nearly a day after the murders took place. Eventually, Lee, her husband's aunt, and his brother Ken arrived. Lee's aunt had a phone at her home, so she had gotten a call from someone in the area who told her what had happened, and they were tasked with going to Kathy with this news and telling her what had happened. Interestingly, there was some misinformation like a game of telephone and a few things get lost along the way. They had been told that Kathy's entire family had been killed, that there were no survivors. So after hearing this news and quickly packing up and getting in the car to head back home to Shell Lake, they turned on the radio and that is when Kathy found out that one child had survived the massacre.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So listening to a radio broadcast that there had been a mass murder in Shell Lake, a manhunt is underway and one child has survived. But she didn't find out which child was the survivor until they were actually back in Shell Lake.
Speaker 1: Wow. And going back to the crime scene, is there a moment when I know the rumor mill had been churning for a little bit that maybe this was murder suicide? After Evelyn and the baby are discovered outside the window, is there a moment when our cmp speculates that maybe this is Jim and he is a family annihilator would be the term we would use. Is that ever on the table at all for them?
Speaker 2: No, it's not. Because they did such a thorough search and there was no weapon in the house. There was no weapon near them, which you know is a good thing. I suppose that all of their weapons had been put away and it wasn't cause for speculation. They didn't waste much time after they found Evelyn and Larry, speculating that someone within the home was responsible. They immediately concentrated their efforts on looking for someone else out there who could have done this.
Speaker 1: So this is a rifle, they determine, right, it's a rifle. Is this a rifle that would need to be loaded? I mean, how many shots did they know that this person could fire before having to stop and reload.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a rifle that would have needed to be reloaded. There were dozens of shots fired through the course of this, so they knew that the person at least reloaded this weapon once, which points to some type of intent, some type of maliciousness with this crime. But still they were really getting nowhere. So time continued to go on, and people would come in now and then to different detachments with tips, or they'd call in with a concern about some person in the community that they thought police should look into, and they did their due diligence. They followed up on all of these tips, but there was a lot to go through and days go on. Eventually we are at August nineteenth, nineteen sixty seven, which is the day of the funeral for the Peterson family. And to see photos and hear people describe this funeral, this is an event that is something that is like emblazoned into the memory of everyone who was there to see this massive grave, one massive grave with timbers stretched across and eight coffins neatly lined up in a There were eight because it was decided that baby Larry should be buried in the arms of his mom Evelyn, just like they had died. So these eight caskets lined up, and over fifteen hundred people attended the service, which you think the population is less than two hundred people, So to have that many people come from across the province to mourn this family and the killer still hasn't been arrested is horrific.
Speaker 1: Now I know that this funeral is pivotal. It's a pivotal moment for a couple of different reasons. But let's talk a little bit about the impact. From when does the funeral, how long after the murders, how long does that take place.
Speaker 2: The murders occurred on August fifteenth and the funeral was August nineteenth.
Speaker 1: In this time period, what is our CMP What are they advising people in this area to do. Is it arm themselves, which we know they were probably doing that anyway, making sure your doors are locked, don't go out at night, or is there any guidance for people who have never experienced anything more than maybe a theft here and there and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's basically exactly what they wanted them to do. Lock your doors. This was a time in these rural communities. If someone pulled up, you assumed that they needed help from you. Your door was open. People were very welcoming. It wasn't like it is today. So RCMP did warn people, you know, keep your door locked. There are so many stories of men who would sleep with a gun right next to the bed because just in case someone came, they wanted to be able to protect their family. The seminars actually told me a story about how after this had happened, they were sitting in their home. Their entire family gathered around the table, and they came up with a plan of what they would do if somebody came into their house. What should the kids do? What would Alvin and Marjorie do? And to think of having something sit so close to home that I would have to sit around the table with my children and come up with a plan of how to escape a mass murderer is horrific.
Speaker 1: Now, let's talk about speculation, because we do have four days of speculation here. What are the locals thinking now that a murder suicide appears to be off the table because of the lack of a weapon. Are they thinking either this has to be a local because it's such a remote area, or are they thinking, no way, is this a local. Nobody's crazy enough to do this. This definitely has to be from one of the bigger cities of a thousand people rather than two hundred people.
Speaker 2: The general sense that I got was just it was like mass confusion. Everyone was scared and they didn't understand first of all, how this could happen at all, and secondly, how it could happen to the Petersons. They were such a well liked family in the area. Jim truly had no enemies, which police quickly learned as they were interviewing people looking for any reason that someone could possibly have a grudge against him or a member of his family. There was nothing that made sense, so based on my conversations with everyone, it was just confusion and terror filling the community for those days.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you some basic police questions. Anything taken.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of wallets taken, but the Petersons, again, they weren't a wealthy family. They didn't have a lot to take, So nothing of substantial value taken from the home.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't appear like anyone in the home had been sexually assaulted or assaulted in any way.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. They were all shot to death. That's the only sign of any violence was the gun shots.
Speaker 1: So Jim didn't have any signs of defensive wounds. It didn't seem like he fought back. Was he just ambushed as soon as he went to the front door area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim did have some defensive wounds, but not anything that would have attributed to his death. Essentially, it looked like he did fight back. Is that because of the smears on the linoleum as well, they could tell that there was a bit of a scuffle. But Jim had been shot multiple times and that's what led to his death, So.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Jim was the first one to die, and then what the eleven year old Dorothy on the cot because it was right off the living room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what's assumed is that Jim, followed by Dorothy, the rest of the children, and Evelyn and Larry somewhere in the mix as well.
Speaker 1: She heard the shots, probably maybe from the other children, and you know, was the last one. So okay, now we're at the funeral with this terrible scene that you've painted of this massive grave and all of the coffins being lowered into it and the populace coming out that is like twenty five thousand times bigger than the population of the town. Then what changes, because something does happen in this time four days after these horrible murders take place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So just a few hours after the funeral, Kathy goes back to her mother and father in law's home. She has her four year old sister Phyllis with her, and there's a knock at the door and it's the police coming to inform Kathy that they have made an arrest. About ten minutes before the funeral began, the lead inspector, Brian Sawyer got a phone call from the kind of de facto headquarters that they had set up in the Shelleake Community Hall. He got a phone call letting him know that they had found a gun that matched the cartridges that had been shot and boots that matched the bootprint that they had lifted from the linoleum thanks to a tip from a man in Lease. He had gone to the RCMP and said, I have this neighbor who has a son who just got out of the mental institution a few weeks ago. He really likes hunting, he really likes guns. I think you should look into him him. So they did, and ten minutes before the funeral, they found out that Victor Ernest Hoffman seemingly is the person who killed the Peterson family.
Speaker 1: I mean, not to state the obvious, but couldn't you throw a rock and hit a guy in Canada even today that wears boots and has a rifle and you know, likes to hunt. And the mental institution part is neither here nor there, I think, But is that really all they had to go on?
Speaker 2: That's all they had to go on. So they arrested Victor. It was during the funeral that they actually had gone and arrested him, and shortly after being brought into custody, Victor gave a full confession and detailed exactly what took place inside of that house.
Speaker 1: I mean, I had said that's shaddy evidence, but he confesses. Of course, we know there are false confessions here, but let's assume that this is all real. Victor's telling us the truth. It's a real confession. Do we want to now talk about Victor and how he ended up in a mental institution to begin with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, Victor Ernest Hoffman was only twenty one years old in nineteen sixty seven. He is a person who had struggled with his mental health for years, for practically his entire life. He was only six years old when he claims that he started experiencing severe hallucinations. He would see what he believed to be the devil, this huge black figure that would tell him to do things. Victor also claimed that by the time he was ten, he started experiencing urges to kill almost daily.
Speaker 1: And he talks to his parents about all of this. Is that right or how does this come out when he's this age?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hid it when he was younger. He had some issues in school some issues with his behavior, but he managed to hide these urges quite well, shockingly well for a child of that age. As Victor entered his late teens and his early twenties, things really started to escalate. His hallucinations became much more severe, and he started talking a ton about religion, which wasn't something that their family usually talked about. He would claim that he was getting messages from God, that he was seeing the devil more and more, that he would get in fights with angels. Things just continued to escalate. There was an incident on the family farm where Victor attempted to run his brother over with one of the farm trucks, barely missed his brother, and kind of the incident that really set things in motion for the family was his mom, Stella. Victor's mom, Stella, was in the kitchen one day preparing a meal and she heard rifle shots outside, so she ran out and she found Victor in a field looking up at the sky firing his rifle. So she ran to war him, and he looked toward her and said, Mom, I shot the devil. And that was kind of the point that Stella really realized there's something seriously, seriously wrong here. She got the gun away from Victor, and he kind of went into a frenzy and got in his vehicle and drove away. The family hid all of the guns on the property as quickly as they could, because they didn't know what he would do if he came back and got his hands on another weapon. Victor did come back, and when he did, he told his parents that he thought he needed to speak to a pastor. And his parents they did the very best they could with the information that they had. We have to remember that this was nearly sixty years ago. We didn't know as much as we know about schizophrenia now. They didn't know the signs to watch out for or how to get him help. So this pastor comes and speaks with Victor. There's no record of what exactly was said during that conversation, but as soon soon as they finished speaking, the pastor went to Victor's parents and said, your son is incredibly sick and you need to get him to a doctor. He needs help right now. So the very next day, Robert and Stella Hoffman brought their son Victor to the Saskatchewan Hospital in North Battleford, Saskatchewan, and he was admitted and diagnosed with schizophrenia shortly after. So that was May of nineteen sixty seven that he was admitted.
Speaker 1: Now, is this a hospital that you know of that has a good reputation? Do they know what they're doing for the time period for nineteen sixty seven?
Speaker 2: Going through Victor's records at the time in nineteen sixty seven, there were different medications available for schizophrenia, but it seems that they weren't really used in this case. There's record of Victor receiving tranquilizers, electroconvulsive therapy, talk therapy, occupational therapy, but there was no medication that really improved would have been proved his mental state truly that was being used, which is a cause for concern.
Speaker 1: So how long does he spend in this mental institution before he's ultimately released and how do they decide when he is able to be released based on sort of these violent tendencies that he had shown before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so during his talk therapy at the beginning of his admission to the hospital, Victor would insist that the things that he was seeing were real, that they were happening, that this was going on, and the doctors would kind of just tell him like it's in your mind of Victor, this isn't real, this isn't happening, and he would argue back and forth with them, and later on Victor confessed that he realized that if he didn't stop talking about the delusions, they were never going to let him out of the hospital. So Victor stopped telling the doctors what he was seeing and feeling and experiencing, but the delusions continued all the same. When Victor was first admitted, his parents were told, your son is very sick. He's going to need to be in the hospital at least a year, at least a year for us to get this under control. But about two months after he had been admitted, Robert and Stella got a letter from the hospital saying that Victor was fine and they could come and pick him up, and when was that. So he was admitted May twenty ninth, nineteen sixty seven, and on July twenty sixth, nineteen sixty seven, Robert Hoffman returned to the Saskatchewan Hospital and picked up his son Victor. Robert asked to speak to the doctor when he got there to pick up Victor, but he was told that the doctor wasn't available and that he could just take Victor home. So Victor Hoffman left the Saskatchewan hospital with just a prescription for tranquilizers in his back pocket, a bit less than three weeks before the murders.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's fast forward to the nineteenth, which is the funeral, and he's arrested ten minutes before the start of the funeral based on what I consider to be kind of shoddy information, but it sounds like they were spot on, because Victor, you say, confessed, and what does he say, happen just straight away? What compelled all of this? What started this?
Speaker 2: So Victor's account of the story is that very early in the morning on August fifteenth, he woke up and he hadn't been feeling right since he came back from the mental hospital. Things still weren't right in his mind, but he woke up that morning very early, went out to the garage to tinker around a little bit. He remembered seeing their farm dog and thinking that he should kill it, but resisting the urge, and instead he loaded his rifle and filled up the car with gas and got in and went for a drive very early in the morning. He said he had no plan as to where he would go. He just knew he needed to get in the car and drive. And Victor recounted getting closer and closer to Shell Lake and feeling this urge to kill, getting stronger and stronger, until finally he turned off into the Peterson's yard. He had never been to Shell Lake before, he had never met the Peterson family, he'd never seen their home. He had no connection whatsoever with this family or this area of the province. But he turned into the Peterson yard. He opened two gates to let himself in, and the murder began.
Speaker 1: Does he give any details that are not something we've already discussed about what happened? Does he talk about the confrontation with Jim.
Speaker 2: Victor recounts every single detail of the murder. So from Victor's point of view, he says that he he got out of the vehicle with his gun in hand, and he could hear Jim Peterson in the house. It was very early in the morning, by the way, by this time, it was about between five and six in the morning, so Jim and Evelyn would have still been in bed or just starting their day. So Victor pulled up to the home and he could hear Jim Peterson in the house, kind of saying who is it? And Victor approached the house, not making a sound, not saying a word, and let himself into the home. By that time, Jim had made it to the front entrance and was prepared to confront whoever it was barging into his house, and he saw Victor pointing a gun at him, and Jim kind of stepped back and raised his hands and said, don't shoot, and Victor shot him. There was a struggle, and Victor shot Jim multiple times before finally Jim fell to the ground and Victor realized that his rifle was empty, so Victor left the house went back out to his vehicle. He could have gotten in his vehicle and just left at that point, but he chose to reload his weapon and walk back into the home where he killed Jim Peterson. He shot Jim again, killing him, and then he continued into the house. He recounted how he turned into the living room and shot eleven year old Dorothy as she lay on a cot in the living room, and he then walked in to the bedroom where the children had been sleeping and began shooting in there. He recounts horrific details that I won't get into about how they died. He recounted everything, and as he was killing the children, he heard the window in the other bedroom, so Victor walked out of the house, went around the back and shot Evelyn Peterson as she tried to flee with her one year old baby. At that time, Victor didn't shoot Larry because he said he just didn't see the need to shoot the baby. So he went back into the home and continued killing the children. It's awful, horrific, And after Victor had finished in the house, he went back outside, and he said that his logic was that he didn't want to leave the baby to starve because he didn't know how long it would be before someone found the bodies, so he went out and shot one year old Larry.
Speaker 1: Do you think he saw Phyllis the four year old kind of buried underneath her, you know, siblings on either side, and chose to leave her Because I've read kind of differing accounts of that that he had seen her and he thought she was like an angel and decided not to kill her. But then maybe he hadn't. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Victor gave differing accounts. He said that at one point that she was hiding under the blanket and she hadn't seen his face, so he didn't feel the need to kill her, But that then kind of negates his reason for killing Larry. Why would you leave one child without the other. He also said that he thought she was an angel and he didn't need to kill her. I don't believe that Victor ever saw Phyllis, whether she was hiding in the bed with her sisters or in her mom's room. I have no clue what happened. Nobody knows, but I do not believe that Victor knew he had left a survivor in that home. In the police case file, there is statements from the officers who interviewed Victor for the first time, and they say that when they told him that there were two girls in the family, Kathy and Phyllis, who were still alive, that he looked shocked. So I don't believe he intentionally left Phyllis alive.
Speaker 1: I have to say I'm surprised that he was able to shoot Jim however many times, then go out to his car and get more ammunition to reload, and that the initial shots didn't wake up at least some of the kids, but they were all found in bed right except for Evelyn and Larry out the window.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I actually spoke with Kathy about this, and she has had conversations with Phyllis about Phyllis's memories of that time, and Phyllis remembered her dad telling everyone stay where you are, oh okay, And Jim was such a trusted figure to this family. They believed that their dad would be able to protect them and that they needed to just stay where they were to be safe. It's just horrific, Like, you don't know what you're going to do in that instance, obviously until you're faced with it, and the children just didn't run.
Speaker 1: I will say I don't almost never ask this question. But did the killer, who is Victor, say how he felt afterward? Did this quell whatever horrible feeling had been bubbling up from him about the devil or whatever? Or did it do anything to stop that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? In Victor's confession, he actually says that after he killed them, he wanted to kill himself, that he felt very bad and he wanted to shoot himself, but he had watched this family die and he had seen how horrific their deaths had been and that's why he didn't do it, because he didn't know where he could shoot himself, that it wouldn't hurt, and that he wouldn't die a horrific death like they had.
Speaker 1: It's just so weird to think about this because it seems like he's been diagnosed with a mental illness that seems like a level of callousness as well as you know, you hear family annihilators say they kill everybody because they don't want the family, the children to live with the shame of what has happened. You hear that kind of justification, But I feel like I don't hear it intermingled with like something like schizophrenia, like that type of a mental illness that's sort of rationale. What's your feeling about that.
Speaker 2: There is so much speculation in the community to this day about whether Victor Hoffman truly was mentally ill, just because of so many of the details surrounding this crime. Even given that after murdering the family, he went back through the house and he took the blankets off of the children and shook them out so he could pick up the cartridge casings.
Speaker 1: He's covering it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he laid them out on the sewing machine and counted them out just to try and ensure he got them all and that there seems to be rationality behind so many of the decisions that he'd made, which has been very hard for people to reconcile how things ended up with the verdict in court.
Speaker 1: So what ultimately ends up happening with this case with Victor?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Victor ends up going to trial. That's the first time and the last time that Kathy saw him in person was in a courtroom for the initial hearing. Kathy went because she wanted to see what this person looked like and who they were, and what kind of person could possibly commit such a heinous act. And Kathy still remembers seeing Victor and being almost underwhelmed by his appearance. He had been built up so much with all of the anticipation of seeing this monster who had murdered your entire family, and he's just a man. So that was the first and last time that Kathy saw him. She packed up and went back to BC, taking Phyllis with her. Kathy and her husband Lee ended up raising Phyllis as their own. So Kathy was back in BC and the trial went on. Throughout the court proceedings. Marjorie Seminar, who was neighbor to the Peterson family, was at every hearing. She showed up for the Petersons every day that she possibly could. And one of Marjorie's strongest memories from the trial was the moment where she really realized how close her own family came to being the victims of this crime. As Victor was recounting what had happened, Marjorie heard him describe how he had been driving towards Shell Lake and the urge to kill was getting stronger, and he said he tried to stop at this house, and he described the house perfectly with the TV antenna, and then he described how he was going too fast and missed the turn, so he took the next approach. So Victor had tried to stop at the Seminar home, but he had just missed the approach and took the next road, and that's how the Petersons ended up falling victim to his massacre. As the court went on, Victor eventually was found not guilty by reason of insanity by the jury, which, as I said, still to this day, is quite a controversial finding among people in the community. Neither Kathy or Marjorie really speculated on whether they believed Victor was insane or not. I think because this is a crime that was just so close to them, it's really painful to speculate on whether someone got away with it or not. Kathy especially really focuses on Victor's family, which I find amazing. She has so much empathy in her heart for the Hoffman family and everything that they did to try and get help for their son. They did the very best that they could, and they were essentially ostracized from the community after this crime had taken place because people thought if he was the sick, how could you not have known. I find it honestly remarkable how much grace Kathy gives the Hoffman family and the true level of forgiveness that she has for them, given what her own family has gone through, she still has that empathy in her heart to wish things could have turned out differently for the Hoffman family as well.
Speaker 1: So I'm assuming that Kathy and Lee did a fantastic job raising Phyllis and everybody is healthy and happy at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at this point, things are good. Kathy and Lee are back in BC. They have their first a little boy that they named William, after Kathy's five year old brother who had been killed. And then when Kathy's pregnant with her second child, they actually move back home so they start farming. They take over Lee's parents farm and start a life in the Shell Lake area, which was very painful for Kathy. It was very hard for her to come back, but she knew that she wanted to be back home and around her people, her family. As time went on, things stayed hard for Kathy. People would continue to speculate and talk about things that happened. People felt comfortable almost like going up to her and bringing it up in conversation, which was incredibly awkward. It's really hard to move on with your life when people are constantly asking you how you feel about the most horrific thing that's ever happened to you. And a big part of you know, things feeling like they were lingering is that the Peterson Home all that time was still standing. The house where these murders had occurred hadn't been torn down or anything. It stayed standing until their early nineties. People would go up to the home, they would break in. People would take pieces of linoleum pieces of the walls, almost as a little memento. And it was really painful for both Kathy and Phyllis to have people desecrating their childhood home. Constantly. Kathy would get calls every time someone had broken in because they were trespassing on her property, and it was incredibly, incredibly painful for her. Thankfully, I guess we can say. In the early nineteen nineties, the house did burn to the ground. Kathy got a phone call from the fire department when it was on fire, asking her what they should do, and she said, just let it burn, let it go.
Speaker 1: How did that happen? We don't officially know what ultimately happens to Victor Hoffman. He goes to a mental institution.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming yeah, that's right. After Victor was found not guilty due to criminal insanity, he was sent to Penitanguishine in Ontario, Canada. It was a hospital for the criminally insane, and he stayed there for quite a few years. He in the early nineties, actually, Kathy and her family found out that he had been having such good behavior that he had been granted day passes to leave the facility, which was a very difficult thing for both Kathy and phyllis to try to navigate.
Speaker 1: Because he would have been in his what fifties when that happened. I was trying to do quick math, so still a viable threat obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. But thankfully Victor never harmed anyone else. He passed away due to cancer in two thousand and four, and that that's where the story of Victor Hoffmann and ends.
Speaker 1: Did you manage to get a hold of anyone in Victor's family or did you try?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't. I tried, but I wasn't able to and I think it's completely understandable. I can't imagine, you know, to hear Kathy explain how hard it's been for her to try to move on and almost rebuild an entire life when something horrible has happened, I feel like it's just as if not more, difficult to rebuild when someone in your family is responsible for that act. I can't imagine the pain. So I wasn't able to speak with their family, But I, like Kathy, I have so much respect and empathy for that family. Yeah, they did everything that they possibly could have done.
Speaker 1: So what ended up ultimately happening to Phyllis.
Speaker 2: So Phyllis lived a good life. She grew up right alongside Kathy's children, participated in sports, she fell in love, she became a mom. But unfortunately, Phyllis passed away on May fourteenth, twenty nineteen, after a really brave battle with cancer. And Phyllis actually is not buried in the Shell Lake Cemetery where the rest of her family is, because she knew that to have the soul survivor of the massacre brought to that grave would kind of turn it into even more of a tourist attraction than it already is, and she didn't want that for her family or for herself. So Phyllis chose to be buried in an undisclosed location that I've been to, and it's beautiful and peaceful and really encapsulates all the things that Phyllis wanted and deserved in her life.
Speaker 1: I really read closely some of the stuff that Cathy was saying, and of course listening to your podcast, and you know, I hear from survivors all the time via email or social media posts to my shows, who always have such incredible end site. And one thing she said that I had not heard before was that people when they find out who she is and what happened to her family, they are either so stunned or dumbstruck that they walk away like they don't even want to talk to her. They don't know what to say, do I acknowledge it or not? Or they talk to her and ask probing, inappropriate questions. And it doesn't sound like there's a lot in between. And that must just be a really difficult experience to live through for almost sixty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like you're constantly walking on unstable ground right, not sure where the next conversation will take you. And that's I was incredibly nervous to approach Auntie Kathy about the notion of speaking to me about this because I know the profound impact that this has had on her life and how difficult it is for her to talk about it. So I'm just so incredibly grateful that she is willing to open up and share this story with me, because I think this podcast isn't the story of Victor Hoffman and what he did. This is the story of the Peterson family, and this is a way for me and everyone else who heard a ghost story about them to realize that they were real people you know. The Petersons aren't ghosts. They were here, and they were loved, and they mattered, and I'm just so grateful to be able to have shared their story.
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked and American Sherlok and Don't Forget. There are twelve seasons of my historical true crime podcast, Tenfold More Wicked right here in this podcast feed, scroll back and give them a listen if you haven't all read. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis a Morosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis heath is our composer. Artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram at tenfold More Wicked and on Facebook at Wicked Words Pod