S1: My name is Ben Greenfield, and on this episode of the Ben Greenfield Life Podcast.
S2: Acting is very interesting because it is a protein that is expressed in tardigrades. These are little animals. They're called extremophiles. They can live in extreme, extreme environments. They say that they can even survive on the outside of spaceships. It can actually protect from environmental stressors like UV, like blue light, like pollution and like EMF. We're putting it almost everywhere. So it is in the youth products. It's in the sunblock. Almost all products we're going to come out with are going to have that because it is a game changer.
S1: Fitness, nutrition, biohacking, longevity, life optimization, spirituality and a whole lot more. Welcome to the Ben Greenfield Life Show. Are you ready to hack your life? Let's do this. Seems like everybody these days is asking me what kind of stuff I smear on my face when I get up in the morning. And I've. I've revealed in the past what some of my preferred skincare products are, but I've never really taken a super deep dive into some of the myths about so-called healthy beauty care products and what you have to think about when you use them, as well as a lot of other questions I've asked like, could collagen help to improve your skin health? Or, you know, what about all these new ingredients like NAD and spermidine and peptides for the face? So there's one guy I know who's been on the podcast before. He's one of the smartest guys I know when it comes to skin health. We did this podcast called Demystifying the Ultimate Biohacking Skincare Routine, where we talked about, you know, what order to put stuff on in terms of the moisturizer and the cleanser and the toner and the serum and the unicorn tears and everything else, but his name is Amit Eshel. Amit is the CEO of Young Juice. Young juice is a pretty cool company. I think they're one of the companies that's at the cutting edge of skin health and skin care. On my bathroom counter is the entire young juice so-called anti-aging package. It's just kind of everything that you need to put on in the morning, everything that you need to put on in the evening. I got into Amity's cool backstory about his background and, you know, Israeli special forces and then becoming a skin health expert and all of that in the original podcast that we did. So we won't spend too much time on that, and we'll kind of jump into the good stuff. But all the show notes are going to be at Bengreenfieldlife.com slash Yungoos two, the second podcast about Yungoos Bengreenfieldlife.com slash Yungoos the number two if you want the show notes. And let me tell you, you know, for people who maybe didn't hear our first podcast, even though of course, we don't have to go into the whole backstory. If you're sitting next to somebody on, say, like an airplane, how do you describe to them your approach to skincare that might be unique in terms of what you're doing at Young Goose?
S2: Yeah, it's a great question. Just just because you can really, you know, you can go into like a couple hours philosophizing on on what we're doing. But to the to the person next to me on the plane, I'm just going to say we take what has been proven to work on a cellular level, um, to extend cellular, cellular life, cellular vibrancy, whatever, whatever we're trying to achieve. And we translate it to cosmetic formulations. So that is quite rare within the sphere of skincare, because normally companies are trying to either have like one, like one ingredient that that they claim solves everything, or they're trying to create a product that everyone would understand. So what we're doing, I think within that aspect is extremely unique, where we're saying we just want the literal best in longevity and health optimization in skincare products.
S1: Well, if you look at like the charts that show all the different anti-aging power or not, the anti-aging pathways, but the pathways responsible for how aging occurs, right? Cardiovascular pathways, immune modulating pathways, neuromuscular pathways, etc. there's even a chart floating around there. I saw it a while ago on the internet. It's just this massive image that's super detailed about all the different ways that we could target aging and improve lifespan and health span when it comes to skin. Obviously, I would imagine there there's different ways these pathways affect aging or there's different pathways of aging when it comes to the skin. So how do you actually take what you just described, the idea of not just using one single ingredient and apply it to to multiple aging pathways.
S2: Well, you could do that, but because obviously nothing works in isolation, right? Like, you can take whatever ingredient that is that we understand works to combat aging in general. And we can probably look at different pathways that it works within or on. But when you talk about the scale, first of all, you're privileged in a way where you you do have ingredients that might not affect the entire human that robustly, for example, like resveratrol, but because you're talking about a local application, they're actually extremely impressive in the way that they that they function. So that's number one. We try to understand how an ingredient is going to work on, you know, skin skin cells. And that can start in a lab in a petri dish. Now when you are going ahead and checking if it works in reality, on on on living human beings, that becomes a little bit tricky because you need to have the people apply it while living their daily lives, and you need to to create like tests that are based on like punch biopsies. It's very difficult to like, let's say we talk about peptides. It's very difficult to understand how a peptide is going to work in real life after we've tried it on some, some cells in a petri dish.
S1: What do you mean about the punch biopsy part?
S2: So let's say we, uh, looked at a product called Procare that the main thing we were trying to do there is to, uh, modulate mTOR, which is a pathway responsible for, you know, many things. It's called the thrive survive pathway. But mainly we were trying to decrease senescent cells. It's actually pretty easy to, Um, modulate mTOR. If we're looking at very simple organisms or if we're looking at skin cells in a petri dish, but it's it's proven quite difficult to extrapolate modulation of mTOR to the entire human being. So for example, by the way, that's why, um, intermittent fasting doesn't work as well on larger and larger creatures, rather than C elegans for that matter.
S1: Right? Yeast. Yeast or fruit flies as well. Like, even once you get up to a rodent model, you see benefits from calorie restriction. But intermittent fasting really doesn't turn out to be quite as impressive.
S2: Yeah. And if I and if I, if I will kind of abuse intermittent fasting a little bit more than rodents normally are nocturnal. And most of the studies we're doing are during the day.
S1: That is a very good point.
S2: Yeah. At that point could be extrapolated also to skincare like, okay, I'll have people apply something in in lab settings for forever, but actually I'm not letting them. I don't know, live their lives in their polluted city because I'm making them come every day to to my lab. So it's very difficult. Or by the way, the opposite can happen where they are used to being, um, out and about and breathing fresh air. And now I'm making them, uh, sit under artificial blue light halogen lights for forever, every day. Right. So that could change things too. But in general, when you're talking about, um, and that's how I'm going to get to punch biopsy, I need to have people live their lives, you know, go through, go through their, their, their routine and literally take a like, imagine, like, you know, how you stick a drinking straw on a potato. That's what a that's what a punch biopsy is in a human being.
S1: I've had punch biopsies done before. I had one done during an exercise performance test right before a three hour run on a treadmill, which really sucked because it's like daggers in your thighs every time your foot strikes. It's basically like shoving a guillotine into your muscle.
S2: Exactly. So, um, but but that that, although still uncomfortable, you need to do it in a very, you know, three millimetres depth when you're talking about the skin. So you do a punch biopsy of the skin and you have just really to anyone listening, imagine like sticking a drinking straw on a potato. You're taking that piece out and you can now measure different things. So we didn't we ended up, you know, showing not only that we can reduce, you know, senescent cells, but also that we can upregulate the expression of 14 different genes that that we deem very positive positive for aging. So collagen gene, elastin genes, hyaluronic acid genes, etc..
S1: And that was with the product Pro care that you were developing.
S2: Yeah that that's what the product pro care um, which is a very specific product to target again MTR. And also, by the way, like a facial fat loss, uh, sub subcutaneous fat loss. But um, you don't always need that. So for example, we learned we looked at uh, uh, sorry Spermidine, which is a we are the first skincare company in the world to integrate Spermidine into skincare. And we learned that one of its major effects is on the skin microbiome and skin barrier. So sometimes you don't even need to do that. But you still want to check human beings, right? Not petri dishes.
S1: So when I look at this whole lineup of like the six, bless your heart, annoying things I have to put on my face every day because I got to press each pump bottle. And you. Fortunately, you told me I could just put them all in my hands at once. Most of the serums just do it all at once, which has made things way more convenient, because what I was doing was I'd put one on, rub it in, and then put the next one on and rub it in. Now I just put them, most of them on the serums, I move on to the moisturizer, etc. but so like the pro care, are each one targeting a different mechanism of aging? Like if the pro care is doing things like subcutaneous fat or mTOR or the other products hitting different aging pathways?
S2: Yes and no. So sometimes we want to have something extremely specific, like like pro care or like bio retinol, for example, because retinol just doesn't play, or vitamin A doesn't play nice necessarily with other things. And other times you're going to have to apply things on your skin, so you only need to apply it at night, etc.. So that's the the yes part. But for example, we launched last time we talked about the product that's going to be launched by now. It's launched, it's called the Youth Series. So we have a youth reset serum youth daily moisturizer. More products are coming for the eyes, for the neck, whatever. But all of those target the entire 12, what we call the 12 hallmarks of aging. the 12 kind of, um, subjects around cellular aging. So sometimes you can target many at once. So Spermidine targets nine, for example, of those 12 hallmarks.
S1: Why wouldn't you just replace your entire lineup, then all your SKUs with this new youth series that you're doing?
S2: That's a great question. And a lot of people, if they are, um, not, they're just don't want to apply like 100 different things on their skin either because of their attention, budget, what I call or their fiscal budget. Uh, then they should do that. But normally when you go wide, you can't go as deep, no pun intended. So for example, um, we know spermidine does affect autophagy. Uh, sorry, affect um, senescent cells to some extent, but it doesn't do it as robustly as a senolytic.
S1: Okay, I got it. So so we could say that you do have a shotgun approach, but you could take an even more precise sorry for the violent analogy. I guess you were in the Special Forces. You don't care. You could take it. Take like a sniper approach instead.
S2: Yeah. And not only, like, also, you know, if we talk about, um, going back to like MTR, we know, for example, that like a modular, like a modulating up and down creates a better effect than than basically like targeting, um, you know, targeting the, the decrease in, in MTR, um, activity all the time. So we need to design a product that its half life is like four hours. And then you apply it like twice a day.
S1: Oh that makes sense. Okay. So similar to like how you how you exercise recover exercise. Again you're not trying with the product to keep MTR down regulated the whole time. So you're actually looking at the half life of making sure that you're not suppressing MTR too much. I would imagine so that you're not, so that you're allowing skin renewal to occur.
S2: And any inflammation, inflammation is actually extremely important in the skin. It is the chronic. By the way, I call, I try to explain that inflammation and information are tightly linked because inflammation is just information for for repair. But if you have chronic inflammation, it's like background noise. If we shut down inflammation all the time, that's not a positive thing. Your body can't communicate that it needs repair. On the other hand, if there is information overload all the time, your body is not going to repair or not even going to repair, well, it's going to repair very sporadically.
S1: How much would it cost? Like let's say I wanted to just use like the youth products and I want to use that shotgun approach. How much would something like that cost me on a monthly basis versus if I wanted to go with the full meal deal anti-aging package?
S2: So we we deal in 60 days. That's that's how much a product's going to last. So every 60 days you're going to be looking at like $370 for the youth products and the full you know, the full line is going to be about $1,100.
S1: Okay. For 60 days. So you'd be looking at if you were going to go with the best of the best skin care products, and you want to keep your skin as young as possible, your monthly spend would be about 550 or so.
S2: Yes, exactly.
S1: Yeah. Okay. It's kind of funny. Like, I have two friends in the past couple of months who have spent $130,000 on cosmetic protocols. Now, I'm not I'm not saying you can parallel like, topical skincare products to full on cosmetic surgery. And I also realize that there's a certain subset of folks listening in from, you know, 550, you know, a month is still slight sticker shock. But I think that, you know, if you're somebody who really wants to keep your skin long term in the game, looking good for a really long time, like, you know, I've how long have I been using this stuff? I might say like maybe, uh, ten months, something like that. And people are walking up to me all the time asking me what I'm doing. And, you know, I'm not saying this just to brag, you know, obviously, just to speak to the efficacy of your products, telling me I look younger, so they're doing something.
S2: But also, if you imagine so if you I mean, you could speak to that way better than I would imagine. Only, you know, running in order to compete in an ultramarathon or actually doing things around it, you know, to really optimize your, your health.
S1: Right. Core core strength, knees over toes program, you know, protein intake, etc..
S2: Yeah. Exactly that. That is the difference between spending 300, $130,000 on aesthetic procedures or spending $130,000 on aesthetic procedures, plus $550 a month. Your recovery is everything. So that's 130,000 is actually only signalling for repair. The actual repair happens during the recovery, so the better you recover, the better the results.
S1: What about peptides? I think last time you mentioned that, you're starting to figure out a way to put some of those in the products and make peptides somehow transdermally available. Are you still pursuing that route or putting those in the products?
S2: Yeah. So a few things around. First of all, yes, I would say peptides in general are one of the overhyped ingredients in skincare. Not because peptides are not good. Peptides are peptides are incredible. But the skincare industry has a has a tendency to take what is what is becoming a hot product in other areas and trying to superimpose it on skincare formulations. So since peptides are now notorious because of FDA regulations, but also because they're creating some wonderful results for people, now skincare is not even going to say what peptides we have. We have there. You're just going to say skincare with peptides for that matter. So unfortunately most peptides don't do a lot for the skin. And the ones who do probably should be injected if we really want like incredible efficacy. Having said that, um, GHQ for example, copper peptide or very small peptides like tego pep up for uh are peptides that can actually affect your skin and it is measurable. So Tego pep up for uh is a peptide that is only used in skincare.
S1: What are you saying on that. Because I know GHQ copper peptide. What's the Tego one?
S2: Tego is a hexapeptide. Okay. Is it Tigo? Yeah. Tigo PEPUP4.
S1: Okay.
S2: Got it. And it can actually upregulate the expression of collagen genes, which is kind of if anyone remembers, like the saying, oh, you, you produce less collagen as you grow older. This is because of that, that lowering in expression of those genes. So we we can actually and the company that owns the patent has proven it. They can actually upregulate the expression of collagen genes in the skin.
S1: How new is that one. Because I haven't heard that much about it.
S2: It's just extremely expensive to formulate with.
S1: So okay, I.
S2: Think we are one of two companies that actually use it.
S1: Which one of your products is it in?
S2: It's in the hyperbaric mask. Um.
S1: Oh, okay.
S2: And also one of the so hyperbaric mask is one of those products that we created around the idea of, um, not replacing anything in someone's routine. Like, you can plug and play this to any, any routine that someone has. It's a gel. We call it a mask for no apparent reason. It's a gel that you apply after a moisturizer overnight and we can do like crazy things with that mask upregulating genes. We can, you know, activate or increase the expression of klotho, which is a cool gene. It's pretty cool.
S1: Why do you call it hyperbaric?
S2: Because the original preparation of the mask, it's more it it inherited. It's this is the third iteration of it. It inherited the purpose that we made it for in the beginning. We actually made it for one pretty famous guy that we can't say who he is, but he had a hyperbaric in his house and he wasn't in. He. All he wanted is skin benefits and he wasn't getting them. And he's in his 50s. And um, basically what it came down to is his mitochondria is inability to basically he had mitochondrial dysfunction. He had his mitochondria was unable to respond to the access to oxidative stress, etc., that is caused by hyperbaric. So basically it cost him too much energy to create energy, in other words. So the original mask was basically just a gel with one ingredient, which was derived from from yeast, which increases the mitochondrial capacity. And when this guy went berserk on this mask and he said, you know, I want like 50 gallons of it, I want it for the entire body. I'm not kidding. Um, we said, okay, we can actually make a product out of it. And we went to the lab and we said, how can we make it even better? And what we tried to do is we actually tried to mimic all of the pathways that are being activated or downregulated by Hyperbarics in the skin specifically. And that was kind of the the the second version and the third version is a version that has now, you know, some that special peptide that I mentioned or some things that have nothing to do with Hyperbarics, but they're just like very, very good to, to have if.
S1: You were using a hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber for the skin health benefits, and you put it on before you got in the hyperbaric, would it amplify those benefits?
S2: Yeah. Yeah. And this is something that is used in very, I would say very specialized or very avant garde hyperbaric centers in the United States, mainly like we have one in Europe. But those who know know, you know, really, really professional hyperbaric locations offer and carry that mask for that purpose. Most of them don't even sell it.
S1: Wow. That's incredible. Congratulations. The guy wanted for his whole body reminds me of, like, Queen Cleopatra. Didn't she bathe in, like, goat's milk or wine or something like that?
S2: I'm not kidding. His. His assistant sends me texts every week with different questions to this day.
S1: That's funny. Okay, so. So we started talking about that because we were talking about peptides. You mentioned GSK copper peptide. You mentioned the super expensive one that starts with a T. What is it again?
S2: Tego. Yeah.
S1: Tego. Tego. Peptide. You mentioned Spermidine, GCHQ copper peptide and spermidine. And collagen too. It's kind of like a three parter question. You see all those three advertised as something you could take orally to improve skin health. Would there be any efficacy behind that idea for any of those three?
S2: Yes. It's just it's just, you know, the nerd in me wants to tell you. Yes, there, there, there will be, but it's just not the best way to go about it. As far as collagen. Collagen is, like, extremely important. People should take it as a as a supplement or in powder form or whatever that is. But there you're just increasing the surplus of building blocks in your body. So, you know, I'm sure as you covered, like many times before, when you take protein, what your body does, it's breaking them down to the essential amino acids to to the amino acids that comprise them, and then it uses them as it sees fit, if you would. So when you take collagen, by the way, there are different types of collagen. But I'm just not to confuse everybody. I'm just going to call it collagen. When you take collagen, it's not like your body is like, oh, he's taking collagen because I really need collagen in my skin. Let me go ahead and do that. No, it's actually it's actually not not only that, it doesn't do that. A couple of things are needed in order to kind of rejuvenate your skin, collagen wise. First of all, is stimulation is actually inflammation. So we actually want to go ahead and create some kind of introduce some kind of minimal trauma to the skin. The same way when you're going to exercise, you need microtears in your muscles in order for the muscles to adapt and grow. And the second thing you actually need vitamin C. So vitamin C, lack of vitamin C is going to impair collagen production. So it's a cofactor for collagen okay.
S1: So let's say I'm going to supplement with collagen maybe like 20 to 40g a day. For the purposes of skin health, I would need to create inflammation. I would need to co consume it with vitamin C. I actually want to also ask you about red light therapy because that's also often, um, championed as something that would go well, hand in hand with oral intake of collagen. But first the inflammation piece. How are you how are you suggesting that? Is that like dermarolling microneedling scrubs, things like that?
S2: Yes. Um, the best is actually, um, buying like a derma pen or derma stamp. And the reason is, is when you have a derma roller, it it doesn't enter the skin in a, in a zenith in 90 degrees. It kind of rolls into the skin. And when it leaves, it also kind of bores a little bit and rolls out. Having said that, if someone has a dermaroller they should use it, but it's just not like optimal. It creates more, more, more. Um, um, trauma that isn't needed. It's not as precise. So stamps there are like stamps both for hair and for skin. And derma pin. They go in and out in 90 degrees, so that's better. Um, but also, but also also things like, um, by the way, even like manual facial massage to some extent. Does it, uh, gua sha very not a lot, but it does it to some extent. But then also, yes, scrubs or um, more advanced things like lasers, obviously in office. Uh, do it. Not to be confused with red light. I think a lot of the times people think, oh, red light therapy is just whatever the doctor is using to rejuvenate my skin, just an at home version. So they're actually very different.
S1: What do you mean? The laser and the red light are far different. Yeah.
S2: Far different. Like, one would, would actually be used for the purpose of getting absorbed and causing some damage in your skin. And the other is only hopefully creating chemical energy. More ATP, more cells, cellular energy.
S1: My wife got lasered and pardon the expression, she looked like shit for like two weeks, like full on inflammation, like bleeding, like shit. Like. And this was one of the, you know, cosmetic lasers. Way different than putting on like, you know, she has one of those higher dose red light masks that you can wear. You know, when you do a clay mask or to stimulate collagen in the skin way different than that. Yeah.
S2: Also overdose wouldn't look the same, by the way. Like, you know, you could not even if you asked me when would be when are the mask is not very strong. But let's say you use red light therapy a very, very, very strong red light therapy product. Overdosing on it is not going to look like like bleeding and scabbing and things like that. It's going to be actually again, mitochondrial dysfunction. It's going to be a completely different overdose rather than than actual damage.
S1: Maybe some excess reactive oxygen species, that type of thing. Which is why red light benefits top out around 2020 five minutes. You mentioned the stamp. What's the stamp?
S2: So derma stamping. It literally looks like a little handle and a square, um, or round needle bed. And you just go in and out so you basically stamp your skin. Um, so it is very, very, very, very similar to Dermarolling, but instead of having like a cylinder that you roll on your face with those needles, you literally just use it like a stamp. You go up and down or you know, away from you and towards your skin, and that way you can have a much better control on the angle that the that the needles actually penetrate the skin.
S1: And what about the pen? What's that?
S2: The pen has the you can imagine a stamp that is shaped like a pen and it has an engine that would, that would, you know, Uh, go up and down. Um, and that allows you to to mechanically micro-needle your face. So you move it like you're drawing with a pin pen on your face, but the needles inside, inside that it's pretty large. So it's about a probably like a centimeter, um, in diameter, um, maybe two centimeters in diameter. And it would, it would basically have, you know, ten needles that go up and down and you're drawing on your face with this thing or on your body, and the needles go in and out.
S1: Okay. So let's say you had to choose between a derma roller, a derma stamp or a derma pen, because those three someone would be able to buy for their house. Yeah. Which one do you think is superior?
S2: The pen. The pen is superior. It costs more. And also the disposable elements, because you need to replace needles once in a while are going to be more expensive.
S1: From a from from a time standpoint, does it take way longer to do the pen? If you're going to do your whole face versus a stamp or a roller?
S2: No, no, it probably probably the pen is going to be faster than than a roller or a stamp and a stamp and a roller should take the same amount of time.
S1: Okay. How many times per week would you do that to allow for the proper amount of inflammation and then recovery?
S2: So I would do it a, you know, 1 to 3 times per week. And it would depend on. By the way, if you're male or female, it also would depend on that because testosterone plays plays a role here. But um but and skin thickness etc.. Um, but it also depends on the depth of the needles. And again, what you're doing is an adjunct to how you're treating your body and for recovery, what products you use, etc..
S1: Okay. What if I also have a scrub? Would that play a role here? Like if what. Let's say I have a scrub and I have one of the derma devices and I'm doing the derma, let's say the stamp or the pen 1 to 3 times a week. Would I then do the scrub a certain number of times per week also.
S2: First of all, the all of the needle based products that we mentioned, they are actually they actually are aiming to to stimulate a lower, lower level in the skin. And obviously they go through the top of your skin to do that. But the reason I'm saying that is because the scrub isn't actually supposed to generate a lot of, um, trauma, since it is since it is very blunt. The idea is more to dislodge dead skin cells or you know, what is closer to it. Uh, basically the top, the top most layer of your skin and most scrubs. For example, I just sent you a scrub. I just didn't tell you about it, but we sent you a scrub that's called nail polish. And the idea is to actually assist the other types of exfoliants that are there, enzymatic exfoliants, um, beta, like, uh, papain, which is a obviously from papaya. Um, and some. So, so papaya has some beta and alpha hydroxy acids. So all of those things combined kind of release the top most layer of the skin off. But they're not supposed to actually penetrate all the way to the area in the skin where collagen is created.
S1: So the scrub, how often would you do that then on a weekly basis?
S2: So most people will do it once a week. Um, the reason I mentioned testosterone or men and women is because testosterone plays. It plays a key role in skin thickness. And obviously the thicker the skin is, the more you can do those things. So men's skins tend to be everything else being equal 25% thicker. So you could do these things more so you can go up to three times a week. Um, and obviously it depends on the person I know, women who do it five times a week because they built skin thickness and resilience through that?
S1: Yeah. It's like building calluses on your hands almost the the so minimalist routine that if I'm understanding you correctly, I use a dermaroller right now. After this conversation, I'm going to look into switching to a stamp or a pen. And then I could, if I wanted, the full minimalist protocol, just do the derma stamp or the derma pen once per week and the scrub once per week.
S2: I do have I do have something. I never talked about it before. Um, but it's pretty cool. Uh, it's a it's a Korean company. They actually are having a lot of issues, like they're not succeeding that much because their skincare didn't translate well to American standards. You need to change a few things. The Korean skincare kind of fad is a little funny because the formulas that come to America needs to be changed. So the their formulas didn't change very well. But what they have, which is pretty cool, is a derma pen that the needles are made out of hyaluronic acid and it's called stem. TOC. TOC. Stem. TOC.
S1: Cool. I'll look it up. By the way, I'm taking notes, you guys. I'll put them in the show notes at Bengreenfieldlife.com slash yungoos too. So the Korean stem talk, is it just like, crazy expensive or.
S2: I'm not sure how much it costs, to be honest, but it shouldn't be a lot. Should be a few hundreds of dollars. Maybe like two $300.
S1: Insider tip I know some people like to, especially if they're listening in America, like to keep their business in the USA, but you can get some pretty slammin deals on Alibaba on some of this stuff. That's the same stuff. Some of the fancy skincare companies in the US are importing when it comes to devices.
S2: Yeah, actually, actually, the insider tip would be especially, uh, especially useful here because there is regulation around the again, the depth of the needles. And if someone wants to kind of push the envelope, they start it at 0.25. Um, then they go to 0.5. That's the limit of what you can use at home in the United States. But you could go deeper. You could go one millimeter. So so you can buy those on Alibaba and they are your correct. It's the same ones that are used anywhere else.
S1: Okay. Is there something to be said for the idea of doing the red light right after you were to take something oral, like the collagen and the vitamin C? Or does it matter as long as you're doing it daily and it's in your bloodstream and your red lights just done.
S2: Whenever there is something to say about that, because you are releasing nitric oxide from the mitochondria, pretty, pretty, um, instant instantaneously. And that would bring more blood that is statistically enriched with those with those compounds to the areas that you're irradiating. I would say if you're doing a full body panel, that's a little bit irrelevant. If you're interested in, you know, the lines on your forehead, right? Um, but also you you do want to consider the time that it takes to metabolize what you took.
S1: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. That makes sense. Okay, so you can have your cup of coffee, maybe do some of your morning work and, you know, for your second round of emails or whatever, you know, after you've sipped your cup of coffee with some collagen or drank a glass of water with some vitamin C and collagen, put one of those red light masks on and, you know, 30, 45 minutes later or something like that.
S2: Yeah, I actually know a lot of people who are doing it for BPC 157 and Shineon.
S1: Oh, that would be more for like like joint support. Meaning you would you would inject BPC 157 into a joint that's injured and then layer on top of that red light therapy like the kinnelon to, to speed up healing.
S2: Not even to a joint like you would, you would inject BPC 157, you know, to your belly fat and you would irradiate your knee. And since that's in your bloodstream pretty quickly, you're going to get more of it there.
S1: Yeah. There's a guy in the healthcare industry, Doctor Todd. I always butcher his last name. It's like oviedo's or avocados or something like that. But he does stem cell therapies where he'll administer stem cells and then use red light. I know another guy who does it with electrical modalities to draw the stem cells into the area of the tissue where healing is desired. So this is a similar approach. You could inject some healing peptide like BPC 157 or TB 500 subcutaneously near the abdominals, then slap red light on a region that's injured and expect there to be some kind of a paracrine signaling effect of the red light that would draw the peptides into that area.
S2: Yes, but also for. So actually, what I'm going to say right now applies both to any type of, of biologics, you know, stem cells, exosomes, PRP and some peptides that are involved in collagen specifically, which BPC would be one of them, that most of the the supportive effects are going to be using red light therapy, not only a time of injection, but continuously because red light is shown to to improve the scaffolding of collagen. For example, some something called lubricants, which are kind of what the the what builds collagen. And the same would go for the proliferation of stem cells. It would assist the proliferation. So it's not only a time of injection. It's something that you want to do continuously. And that I think is very important to say about red light in general. It is not something you can do one time and it would help with anything you really want to do it, you know, every other day for that matter.
S1: You're the second guest who's brought that up. Actually, Forrest from Kinnelon, who I interviewed, he highlighted the collagen building and the pain reducing benefits of red light therapy for a joint done pretty consistently. Like like putting on the kinnelon around a bum knee every 24 hours for 20 minutes, you know, for a couple of weeks at least to constantly stimulate the body. And frankly, I have some areas of my body that are just beat up from life. Like, yeah, my left knee is probably at about 90%. You know, it used to be probably 60%, but thanks to stem cells and some regenerative medicine protocols, it's pretty good now. But I literally keep one of those Kenyan red lights up by my laptop computer workstation, and every time I sit down to breakfast, I just wrap it around my knee. So I just do red light every day, and it'll probably just be something I do for the rest of my life on that joint.
S2: Yeah, because what you cannot do, and that could be that does happen in this facial skin as well. There are structural changes and that's something. So in Copenhagen in 2022, they they attempted to add like a few more hallmarks of aging to the list. And one of them is mechanical changes to the tissue. So if you have mechanical changes that create constant inflammation, red light is not going to be able to to do much with it. Nor would you know most other other things. Stem cells included. Right. Like I tried to inject stem cells, not myself, but I had stem cells injected into my knee after I had a bucket handle tear in my meniscus. It didn't prevent surgery because I had a flap like flopping around there. So.
S1: Yeah. Yeah, exactly. If there's actually an anatomical piece of debris in the knee. Yeah, you do have to get that out. Like there's nothing to dissolve that. At least not yet. There's no form of shockwave or ultrasound or anything that'll just get rid of that, unfortunately. So you're right. It does kind of depend. Now, what about hydration? There was an email you sent me at one point where you were talking about structured water, and I caught my attention because, you know, my my father and my brother and my sister, they're all in the structured water filtration industry. I got one of those whole house filtered water units that make structured water. But what's the link between that and the skin?
S2: So I think I think it's it's a big conversation about structured water in general. But I would start by saying, you know why. What what's the relationship between like hydration in general in the skin and a debate on how much you need to drink or anything like that is beside the point. Like we know, hydration leads to anything from like dryness, flakiness, dullness, premature aging, uh, compromising the function of skin barrier and elasticity, um, reduces our ability to protect our, our DNA against environmental stressors. So in general, you know, it's important to be hydrated as far as the skin is concerned. But that's easier said than done. And that's, I think, where water restructuring in the skin, um, plays a very, very, very interesting role. Um, so just just to give a very, very short explanation. So restructured water is like organized stable water molecule that can enhance skin hydration because it's easier for your cells to kind of usher usher those structures in.
S1: Usually because of hydrogen oxygen bonding that's induced by that water. Are they having passed through something that almost like electrically activates it, like a body of minerals? Or in other cases, water that's been activated by certain spectrums and wavelengths of light, like red light?
S2: Yeah, exactly. Um, and that's and that's pretty interesting because you can actually also, um, create more energy in your mitochondria because even mechanical parts of the mitochondria that need to move even move better. Okay. Um, but it also improves moisture retention. So, um, we can build skin barrier better with structured water. Um, and again, we when we improve skin barrier, we prevent something called transepidermal water loss, which is why you get chapped lips when you go to Vegas, because you're losing more moisture to the environment, for that matter. So, um, what I emailed you about is a molecule that's now really taking, um, the skincare industry by storm. Again, what I love about part of what we do is, is that we are not the innovator of a technology. We just wholeheartedly adopt it. And then we can see that we were right. Other companies do it as well. And Ectoine protein is one of those, uh, one of those molecules.
S1: Ectoine like s t o I n.
S2: Yeah. Okay. And the I would say the better version or the version that is studied more is actually called ecto natural.
S1: Okay.
S2: And ecto is very interesting because it is a protein that is expressed in tardigrades. And these are, uh, water bears if you want to call them water teddy bears. I don't know how they call them, but these are little animals. They're called extremophiles. They can live in extreme, extreme environments. Oh, yeah, I've seen these. Yeah, yeah. First of all, they're very cute under a microscope. But they, they they can live in very salty water. They say that they can even survive like the on the outside of, uh, of, uh, spaceships when they, when they go out of the atmosphere.
S1: Cute and very tough. Just like my wife. Yeah, yeah.
S2: Yeah. And, um, they found out that the way that these creatures survive is that they have this protein. And this protein, first of all, has high affinity to water. It can actually kind of amass a lot of water around it. It can contain a, you know, a thousand times its molecular weight in water. But what it can also do is it can change the structure of water and structure water. And it does it around proteins, it does it around the cells of that organism. So it actually protects against anything from like radiation to, um, different, different aggressors through that, what we call water shell. So what, uh, Ecto Natural doesn't. And we assume Ecto one does it as well. It just less studies around it. Is that it? It can actually create a protective shell around skin cells as well. So it can stabilize water. So so they are more available to cells. It can reduce dehydration and wrinkles. It as I said it can reinforce skin barrier and uh prevent transepidermal water loss. But what I think is the hidden piece here and that we can see in higher percentages that I think only us and another company out of Taiwan, which does it for medical, uh, recovery from, from surgery is that it can actually protect from environmental stressors like UV, like blue light, like pollution, and like EMF.
S1: Is that what you put into your, um, your, uh, your your sunblock?
S2: Yeah, we put it now. We're obsessed. We're obsessed with putting. We're putting it almost everywhere. So it is in the youth products. It's in the sunblock. Almost all products we're going to come out with are going to have that, because it is a game changer. And one of the things that you can measure, and that's I think the only product that ever does that. If you think of a moisturizer, you really aren't you really aren't moisturizing the skin. You can prevent the skin from losing moisture. And you can you can increase the, the the feeling that you have of of hydration. But it's a user experience. If you really measure how much water are used by a cell, almost no difference. But Ectoine doesn't only increase that, it actually has an 11 day carryover. It means that. Let's say you stopped using it. Your cells still have more water than they would have otherwise for 11 days.
S1: That's incredible. And then the sunblock. By the way, I learned this from you. I started putting it on when I'm in airplanes, going through airports. Kind of like going out around the city, even on a cloudy day. Like going around new roads, toxins, pollutants. ET cetera. And there's there's something about it that when it comes to skin protection, that goes beyond just protecting yourself from UVA and UVB radiation. Did I understand that correctly?
S2: Yeah. So what we do is we have a few, um, really cool things there that address. So just to throw some statistics there, if a person lives in a city they age significantly less from UV, mainly UVB, which which well from UV in general.
S1: Because they're because they're inside more.
S2: Because they're inside more. And just because other things are more prominent, like pollution. Like. Like EMF. Like blue light. By the way, if you go to your office at 7 a.m. and you come back to your house at 5 p.m., the amount of UV we're exposed to is pretty minimal. And if you know what you were exposed to is artificial blue light, that I'll give a statistic. Artificial blue light lowers mitochondrial activity almost as much as red light increases it. So if you're if you think you're cute, read ten 20 minute, uh, red light therapy panel or mask were good. Then it equated to like eight hours under blue light. Artificial blue light by the.
S1: Way, unless unless you you shop like I do and go to either bond, charge or block blue light and get the non blue light, you know biological LEDs. But yeah, in most cases you're not going to convince your employer to replace all the cans at the office.
S2: Yes. And if you and if you, if you do I think you should take like an employee of the month or whatever. But, uh, so that's one thing. The other thing is EMF, which is very difficult unless you've really engineered your life around preventing your exposure to EMF. It's just extremely difficult for, for for people.
S1: Now I gotta I gotta jump because people are gonna ask, are you just saying that? Or is there actual studies that show that, like, exposure to electromagnetic frequencies can impact skin health? Oh, yeah.
S2: Not not, by the way. Not only, um, skin health in totality, different things within skin health. So we there studies show that EMF exposure increases oxidative stress. Most of the things that we're going to talk about, by the way, whether it is pollution, UV, um, heavy metals, um, blue light and EMF, they're all broken down the same way. We said, well, protein is just it's amino acids. At the end of the day, all of those aggressors in your skin equate are equal. More oxidative stress, more free radicals. Most of them are oxygen based. So your body has innate an innate ability to fight some of them off. I mean, obviously we know glutathione, the body's master antioxidant, is there for some. Some of its function is that reason. Um, but EMF, since it's constant, since the waves are built to really travel through you, uh, it really messes up skin barrier and it really messes up the the balance between the amount of antioxidants we can express and oxidative stress that is generated. So one of the things that we know protects against radiation is ectoine. Um, I mean, that's why it's there to begin with. And the second thing is, is, um, we use so that's as far as like EMF, but the sunblock has other ingredients that also protect you against things that are that our body just did never evolved to deal with, which are free radicals that are not oxygen based or are not. Uh, yeah, not oxygen based. So nitrogen or carbon based free radicals that are caused by pollution, by burning of, of, of obviously of fossil fuels, etc., our body never had the the need to create systems to, to break those free radicals down or to neutralize those free radicals. So we need to use a very cool cousin of C60 that is called Lipochrome and six that or Lp6. And that is, uh, very good at scavenging free radicals that are carbon and nitrogen based.
S1: Is it is it like a, like a, like a buckminsterfullerene soccer ball like shape, like carbon 60 is.
S2: Yeah, but it but it is bound to different to different structures. The problem with buckminsterfullerene is that its photosensitizers you. That's why we don't use it. Okay. Um, so we had to find a molecule, which, um, is again pretty, pretty unique. Not a lot of companies use it. Um, that provides again, it is synthetic, like carbon 16. Um, and it's pretty good at, again, neutralizing those free radicals that are not oxygen based.
S1: So if C60 photosensitizers you, you could make a case for not using a high amount of a C60 supplement prior to a day at the beach or on the boat, or out skiing or something like that.
S2: Yeah, you should ask I and I and Mitchell, I think has a photo of him taking a lot of C60, going outside with his, uh, cross on with his necklace with, with a cross on it and coming back home with a with a red, red chest. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Wow. Wow. That's crazy. I did not know that. Okay, so so that's that's really interesting about the sunscreen and the reasons we might want to use it, even without UVA and UVB exposure. The other thing I wanted to ask you, I mentioned this in the introduction, was, you know, all the antioxidants and clean ingredients added to these clean beauty products. I think you have kind of an opinion about that, because I occasionally read some of your guys's articles on the Young Goose website, and there was one that discussed the potential, I believe, for oxidation of some of those. Can you get into that?
S2: Yeah. So I think clean beauty is a is a I think in general we should be wary about industries that emphasize what they are not and not necessarily the benefits that they that they imbue upon the user. Rather than demonizing other things okay. It could be very confusing. And it could also, you know, create anxiety, etc. but it's just not a very, I'd say, not a very sincere way to go about it. Like in skincare. Just as a different example, we see a lot of products that are trying to convince you that they are healthy for you and they're saying plant based or vegan, but it doesn't mean anything about how well they work. The problem with what I call clean washing is that, um, kind of confusing the consumer saying, hey, we don't have any of these bad stuff. Yeah, but you're, you're creating you're using natural ingredients that can degrade over time. And that leads to, to harmful, harmful ingredients or harmful byproducts, like, for example, the uh, dihydro ascorbic acid, which is, which is, uh, basically a reaction that happens to, to ascorbic acid. Uh, ascorbic acid in my eyes is the least clean, is the worst product someone can put on their skin. And I know I said vitamin C before, but that is a synthetic, um, non On mineral bound form of vitamin C that in the skin actually increases aging or drives premature aging.
S1: You mean if applied topically via skincare product?
S2: Yeah, because because that's actually a lot for the skin and it actually causes cellular death. That's called ferroptosis through exciting of of of of iron molecules in your skin. Or I'll give you just another random example. Um, uh, limonene hydroperoxide, which is uh, obviously through, uh, an essential oil reaction. So ingredients that we could think of as beneficial can cause oxidative stress, can cause cellular death, irritation, other skin issues, um, because they are not stabilized.
S1: Well, okay. So so this makes sense. This would be like keeping your extra virgin olive oil in the pantry right next to the oven where the heat radiation from the oven is basically oxidizing your extra virgin olive oil pretty quickly. All the worse if it's in a plastic clear container. That type of concept. But it's paradoxical because aren't the type of things you'd have to add to stabilize the type of ingredients that could potentially be unhealthy. Like, like these are the additives, the preservatives people complain about and in skincare products. Is there something to that idea?
S2: Yes. First of all, we need to learn. We kind of need to know that we don't live in a preservative free society. And so for even touching a guardrail that that that has paint on it is going you're going to get some preservative on your skin, you know, might not be absorbed through your skin, but it's on your skin. Now the question, does it absorb or not? Or if you use a pen and a pen, you know, spills on you or whatever, many things would, would drive more of those molecules that are maybe like alcohol based or things like that, through your skin and into your body. Safe preservatives are preservatives that we know that your body is designed, as I kind of said before, is designed to kind of recognize break down. And then we need to know the percentage, what is the percentage that's there and how much your body can break down. Um, so that's by the way, one just to answer like about preservatives. Um, the other thing is, is that what happens when you don't have preservatives, you're going to have mold, microbial growth. There are things that are that are worse than, than, than a specific preservative. Um, having said that, because we are, at the end of the day, a product that that people are supposed to love, like, I believe, um, there is a placebo placebo effect is real. Like if you love a product that you use, you're going to it's going to affect you more. And if you have a bad connotation to something you're going to get, you're going to get less, get less of a good reaction to it or potentially a bad reaction. So we've spent the last year, um, isolating preservatives out of plant material, for example, honeysuckle, in order to have preservative systems that are completely in air quotes clean but are nice to read, you know, that you can pronounce.
S1: So you're saying that your guys's labels will change even more in the future to basically not. Not because some of the things that are currently in there is preserving agents are necessarily absorbed to the extent that they're harmful. But because you want the consumer to have complete peace of mind, if they're one of those people who are like, if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it and don't put it on your body.
S2: Yeah. And by the so so yes, the youth products already have that system. We actually if someone looks at the website, it actually says, um, you know, U3 set V2 because we actually changed that part, but more like all of our products are going to be changed to reflect that. But the other thing is, I wouldn't suggest eating any skin care product just for you to know, even if it says even if it's made out of tallow and honey, um, don't eat it because it's something makes it shelf stable and that's something is not necessarily friendly for your gut.
S1: One thing I hear a lot of people talk about, especially in kind of like the biohacking and health industry is build up a skin callus, right? Like get out in the sun, the more sun, the better. Surely there is a law of diminishing returns. But I'm just curious to hear your take on it.
S2: Okay, so I'll try to be. I'll try to be concise. In in fair skin callus can can be is real because melanin is real. Okay so so what is skin callus is is building more pigment in our skin because that's our natural sunblock. But there is not not a lot else that you could think of as what skin callus is. So when you have a pretty wrong idea of your ability to deal with DNA damage from the sun, um, you're not going to the law of diminishing returns. Diminishing returns are quite early within that exposure. Like 30 minutes, 20, 30 minutes. You you are already getting diminishing returns. The other thing is, is that what you're hoping to get from the sun also diminishes when you build your your imaginary sun callus. So your ability to, you know, we know that, uh, 90% of the African American population in the United States are vitamin D deficient. Why do you think that is? Are they more indoors than anyone else? Not by those percentages.
S1: Right. Higher pigmentation equals less vitamin D absorption.
S2: Exactly. So what you're going to get is when you're building your son callus, you're you're also going to get less of the benefits that you're talking about the son. So that is kind of besides the point, uh, people are a little bit confused about the son callus. The other thing is, um, uric acid is something I see people talk about a lot, which is an acid that is expressed with more sun exposure, but it actually doesn't have any any benefits for UVA and UVB. It only mitigates UVC, which we don't even get at all from, from from the atmosphere absorbs all of our UVC. So that's irrelevant. So if you want to get the benefits of sun exposure, I would suggest a couple of things. First of all, expose areas that are normally not exposed to other environmental aggressors. So right now you're talking with me. There is some artificial light I would assume from the screen. Plus you are wearing a shirt and there is probably some EMF coming from your mic. So all of those things, your shirt It mitigates a lot of those things just by being a physical barrier. When you're going out to the sun, you are going to enjoy the benefits of the sun more. Where that shirt was originally on, on your body because as we said about, you know, before about blue light and radiation and all of that, it actually hinders your skin's ability to function and reap the benefits of the sun.
S1: So basically, the more blue light that you're exposed to, potentially the more damaging that skin that the sun could potentially be.
S2: Yeah. And not only that, by the way, going back to red light, uh, studies have so there is a very cool study out of the University of Yonsei in Seoul in Korea. Um, that if you expose your skin to red light and near-infrared light before going out to the sun, you're going to get less sun damage and you're going to get better, you know, better ratio of benefits to to drawbacks.
S1: And is that because of upregulation of nitric oxide or antioxidants or something like that, or this? What do you call the urocanic acid or something else?
S2: No. Urocanic acid is is really doesn't do anything, but it actually just more ATP, more ATP, more cellular energy equals more DNA repair equals your cell's ability to repair or to uptake moisture, etc. just increased.
S1: Okay. Got it. That makes sense. Well, last question for you. If you could wave a magic wand and look around at all the things that you see people doing for particularly their skincare or their facial care or their personal care products or whatever. Besides, you'd want them to use young goo stuff, obviously. But if you could wave a magic wand and stop people from doing one stupid thing that you see people doing all the time that they think is making their skin healthier, or getting rid of wrinkles or defying aging or whatever. And you could tell people what that one thing is that they should think about stopping. What would you choose?
S2: So something I said before is ascorbic acid. I would tell people never, never to use ascorbic acid on their skin.
S1: So look at all your beauty products. Look for ascorbic acid if it's got it in there. Switch it out.
S2: Yeah. But the second thing is, I just have to say, because it's a pet peeve of mine is, uh, is ice. Ice water face dunking in ice water. Uh, if you want, like, temporary effects, that when you lift your head, you look in the mirror, it looks better. You should do that. But I'm just kind of annoyed by influencers and people like that touting like that. It can replace deliberate cold exposure.
S1: Oh, that's what they're saying. If you dunk your face, I mean, you can trigger like a mammalian diving reflex and maybe get a little bit of an impact on cranial nerve function, right?
S2: You could but you could never like release heat shock proteins or cold shock proteins, for that matter, from your liver. Right.
S1: And these and these are probably people who just don't like to get in the cold bath.
S3: No, that's a.
S2: That's a funny thing. It's I see it from all, like, all across the board. I just see people saying, hey, you know, here's, here's something you can do to you have more nerve receptors, like cold receptors in your chest and your face. So you could just expose that. But that's we really want to modulate core body temperature. We don't there is very little long term benefits in just exposing the area that you kind of want to affect to the cold. Actually, it might be contrary. You might be just, um, creating some malfunction in your skin barrier. Right.
S1: Okay. All right. So if you're going to waste the time dunking your face in ice water, just getting the whole bath, folks. Just. Yeah. Or getting the cold shower, um, and say this has been fascinating as usual. I mean, you always just blow my mind with all these little things. I learn about skincare, and things are going to change and, you know, go shopping later for the Korean derma pen and all those things. But what I'm going to do is for people who want the juicy show notes, go to bengreenfieldlife.com slash Young goose two. That's young goose, the number two. We do have. I know they're they are expensive, but man, are they on the cutting edge. As you can imagine, after this discussion with Amit, I got some discount codes and links for you guys to help you save. I'll put those in the show notes as well. I'll link to my first podcast with Amit, and I'm sure there will be a third to come, because there's all sorts of stuff like the Klotho gene and other myths and skincare and things we didn't even get a chance to touch on today. So anyways, and Amit has a podcast as well. It's called is it just called The Young Goose?
S3: No, it's called Biohacking Beauty.
S1: Oh, that was that was close. Bio biohacking beauty. Check out his podcast as well. Amit, thanks so much for coming on the show, man.
S2: Thank you. It was my pleasure.
S1: All right folks, I'm Ben along with Amit from Young Goose signing out from Bengreenfieldlife.com Young Goose to have an incredible week. Do you want free access to comprehensive show notes? My weekly roundup up newsletter. Cutting edge research and articles. Top recommendations from me for everything that you need to hack your life and a whole lot more. Check out bengreenfieldlife.com. It's all there Bengreenfieldlife.com see you over there! Most of you who listen don't subscribe, like, or rate this show. If you're one of those people who do, then huge thank you. But here's why. It's important to subscribe, like and or rate this show. If you do that, that means we get more eyeballs, we get higher rankings, and the bigger the Ben Greenfield Life Show gets, the bigger and better the guests get and the better the content I'm able to deliver to you. So hit subscribe. Leave a ranking, leave a review. If you got a little extra time. It means way more than you might think. Thank you so much! In compliance with the FTC guidelines, please assume the following about links and posts on this site. Most of the links going to products are often affiliate links, of which I receive a small commission from sales of certain items, but the price is the same for you. And sometimes I even get to share a unique and somewhat significant discount with you. In some cases, I might also be an investor in a company I mention. I'm the founder, for example, of Kion LLC, the makers of Kion branded supplements and products, which I talk about quite a bit. Regardless of the relationship, if I post or talk about an affiliate link to a product, it is indeed something I personally use. Support and with full authenticity and transparency, recommend in good conscience. I personally vet each and every product that I talk about. My first priority is providing valuable information and resources to you that help you positively optimize your mind, body, and spirit. And I'll only ever link to products or resources, affiliate or otherwise, that fit within this purpose. So there's your fancy legal disclaimer.