S1: Welcome to the Saint Benedict's Episcopal School podcast, Planting Seeds, Cultivating Critical Thinking, creativity, community, and Lifelong Learning here will take you on a transformative journey into the inner workings of this unique school and the people behind it. So sit up straight. School's in and here's your host and head of school, Father Brian Sullivan.
S2: Hello, everyone, and welcome to the final episode, which is actually going to be two parts of the Planting Seeds podcast as an eight part original limited series. We are now adding a second part to this eighth episode, and so we are so happy that you are here. I'm Father Brian Sullivan, your host head of school at Saint Benedict's Episcopal School, and today we have the pleasure of sitting down with three remarkable alumni who continue to carry the torch of our school's values into the broader community. And soon, the world. Two of them are getting ready to graduate from college. So as we delve into this insightful conversation, it's worth noting the next year marks the 15th anniversary of Saint Benedict's Episcopal School. In celebration of this milestone, it only seems fitting to engage with some of our distinguished alumni who have not only embraced the essence of Saint Benedict's during their time here, but have also taken these principles into their college journeys and beyond. Joining us today are Catherine Shymansky, currently enrolled at Georgia Tech. Matt Fierro is at Auburn, and Ryan Fierro, his older brother, is at Emory Riddle Aeronautical University down in Florida. Beyond their academic pursuits, all three generously contribute to our community. They actually have come back to teach at our summer camps and in Kat's case, even substituting for classes during the school year. It was a shock. By the way, Cat, when I walked by and went, who's our new sub? And you turned around and I went, no, only means I'm getting older. So let's kick off this conversation with reflection on their unique journeys from Saint Benedict's to college and soon to be beyond welcome. Kat, Matt and Ryan, we're thrilled to have you here today. Thank you. Thanks to our listeners. They were telling me that all three of you have had tests today. Did I hear that right? All three.
S3: Of us. Yeah.
S2: And here you are giving back to your community. You are awesome. So it's wonderful to have you on the podcast as alumni. And you've transitioned from here to high school. All three of you went to Holy Innocents, which is our sister Episcopal school down the street that actually has a high school. Did you all know that I graduated when it was just an eighth grade school? And I.
S3: Think vaguely, yeah, I think.
S2: It was smaller than Saint Benedict's is now, but it sort of had the same principles that we do. And being a nurturing community through eighth grade here to your respective colleges, can you share the foundation laid during your early education at Saint Benedict's, and how it's influenced the paths that you've chosen? And again, jump in whoever's first. I have a feeling I know who it will be. Go for.
S3: It. This is going to sound really just bland and corny, I guess, but kindness. I know this sounds obvious. I know this sounds like something that. Okay. Yeah, great. But what about I mean, getting into the real world and outside of just school and stuff? It's like it means something more. And at Saint Bees and everyone was just kind of each other. There was no hostility and not to say like, oh, the world is not a kind place, but it's just like it meant a lot going from someplace where everyone was, you know, very wholesome with each other. And then it's like, oh, well, we can we can spread that and make the whole world a little bit brighter. Again, I know it sounds so corny, but it's just something I felt. I think both of our classes were particularly small, especially like my my graduating class. It went down from like 20 and seventh grade to like ten and eighth grade. And so we're all just like so close. And I think that really helped me make connections to be able to build connections throughout, like high school. And then now in college, like I have a nice close group of friends down with. So it definitely helped, like get close to people and understand people, especially at a young age, you know, on that.
S4: I think making friends is so hard in the real world, and I'm happy that birthdays like, let us have that small community so that we could make friends and learn how to do that in a safe space. I think something else that I would take away from my experience there would have been my not necessarily my drive, but my hard work that we were challenged a lot by our teachers, especially in the civilians in sixth and seventh grade. And teacher left were to open our minds to different ideas and topics and to think about the world differently and think that by taking some of those principles and taking the things that especially like taught us with our grammar, and just like the ways that she was so hard on us, it made us better student like. I definitely see that in my day to day classroom, especially still in college.
S3: I was going to say, I think like with what she was talking about with like on Teacher Lefler, like getting close with teachers. I definitely try to continue that through like high school. Cool. And even now, like in, you know, I've got lectures of like 300 plus people and like, trying to, like, talk with my teachers and make sure they know me and I know them. And like, I think that definitely helped.
S4: I can't sit for one of my pre-calc teachers from freshman year. It was probably a class of like 200, and it was still on zoom, and I just she would have this thing that she called happy hour, like, you know, happy hour. She'd have office hours where you could talk about math. And then she had happy hour where you could come and just talk to her about anything you wanted to talk to her about, and so got to know her. And I got to know that she has cats, and she was always looking for a cat sitter. So now, like, keep her house key on my on my key ring. And whenever she needs me, she just text me and goes, hey, can you run over to my house and like, let my cats, you know, feed them? And on that note, like maintaining that relationship with your teachers, like it only gets easier from Saint Benedict's. And then on, Ryan, what.
S2: Were you going to say?
S3: I find it funny. We all I think all three of us thought about Teacher and Mrs. Philia as some of the most memorable teachers, or the biggest impact on our learning, our education path. I definitely think.
S4: They were the most quirky.
S3: That too. Yeah.
S4: Miserable.
S3: Yeah. Ms.. They also went to Auburn. So I mean, I haven't actually reached out to her since I went to Auburn, so I think I should, but like it definitely is in the back of my mind. You know, she had a little I think. Didn't she have the, the tail in her trunk. Yes. But that was a is.
S2: That a Tiger.
S3: Was that coach okay. Well well one of the her.
S2: Her entire they went to Auburn too.
S3: Yeah yeah yeah. There's this entire room was just decked out in Auburn and now I see why. So I think.
S2: They're coming this summer to do some camps. So if you guys are coming back, you'll get to see them. One of the things that those listening will not know is that in 2008, we had just bought the church building and your parents were standing out in the cold rain in November looking at a dilapidated building, hearing the mission of our school. And they were bought in to the point that we were just starting a preschool. But because you all were also looking for an elementary school, we started a second grade and that was Kat and Ryan's grade. And Matt, you were in the the first, first grade. Tell me a little bit about how that experience of watching us grow. I mean, you left campus one year and there were zoning signs still up for your middle school. What was it like? What was some of the memories that you had? Just, you know, the second grade, third grade, fourth grade, when you were upstairs and the church building, what was that all like?
S3: Oh, God, my memory is so bad. But I mean, obviously I was like from first grade. I was so young. But like, I mean, I can still remember, like going into some of the buildings now, like the nursery or I don't even know what it is now, but the nursery from like a year or two ago, like the room within the room, how that used to be there. Um, I.
S4: Loved the room in the room.
S3: It was. It was just so random.
S4: So I don't know if you guys remember, like. But, you know, there was, like, a foosball table in that room because that's where you also had passport at the time. And there was like a point in time where Nina walked in and was like trying to play foosball and he, like, went into a split in his school pants and he ripped them just in the middle of the school day. Was that not during PE? No.
S3: I could have sworn that was during PE.
S4: No, he was just in the room, like in that room. And he just was like, I'm gonna do a split.
S3: Is that purposely, did he purposely do split.
S4: Think I don't remember.
S3: I do remember when we were in like one small building and there were I forget exactly how it works. I mean, we didn't know much about what was going on, but we did know that the the preschoolers or the kindergarteners, whoever was moved in first, we were like, oh man, why can't we move in now? How come they like the little ones get to move in? I do remember that. And then eventually, you know, I think we remember moving our stuff onto the third floor. But that was funny. I also remember, didn't we like, share but not share room? Like where the current nurse's office is?
S2: The library was a split room. Yeah. Your fourth and fifth grade were in that room. Yep.
S3: Well no not not that that room the like for our first and second grade because I know that was also split for fourth and fifth.
S2: Oh yeah. Yeah, yeah. The very first year. Yep. Yeah yeah.
S3: Yep yep. There's the bookcase splitting of the rooms.
S2: Yeah yeah yeah. So having seen that from that time, now you have come back and started teaching summer camps. Ryan and Kat you all actually designed and implemented a steam camp. What was that like? What was it like coming back? And now you're the Lefler of this little group of kids. I mean.
S3: I always had fun with it. I wish I could do more honestly, like during the year, if I if I went to school closer, I, I think I'd love to do more steam related stuff. And between that and so it is, it is fun, you know, working with kids and teaching them what I've learned.
S4: On a note of like steam, though, I mean. Coming back from starting in this tiny classroom where we shared rooms and they were divided by bookcases. We now have like the whole middle school building. And Katie Acts, who's dedicated to esteemed department like I went and when I was substituting last May, she showed me how they have the new laser cutter and there's like a 3D printer or something. And she helped me make my mom a pair of earrings that were like her initials out of that laser cutter and mean, like, they have some really cool stuff that we definitely did not have, but it is really cool to see. And also, as an alumni, get the benefit of using every now and then.
S3: So yeah, it's so different. Like the entire school is so different. I mean, it's pretty crazy and I feel like every year.
S4: Good way.
S3: Yeah yeah yeah yeah I mean like like the setup of the, like the, like the building and stuff, like it's so much bigger now and it's so much more, you know, rooms keep changing to accommodate things and it's really interesting to see.
S4: On Saturday when I was with Brian, we were talking about he was like, have you seen any of the plans for like the new gap coming up? And I was like, no, I have no idea. But it's kind of cool to to like, think about how there's going to be a whole new building and then something about a whole new plans with the old buildings and moving people around like it's a cool idea to think about.
S3: Yeah, I mean, they got how much I don't even know how much space, but that, like whole, like block, like right across from a the little field. I don't know how much that is, but 4.2 acres. Yeah.
S2: That's it's bigger than the main building, the land that the main building is on and the building that we're looking to build is about the same size. So the middle school have it looks like six, seventh and eighth grade with three sections of each grade, whereas you all had about a half a section. Cat, I think you're you're in Ryan. You were a fourth of the whole grade.
S3: They might add a fourth of it. Yeah, we.
S4: Did the seven.
S3: Kids. What are you planning to do with the current middle school building?
S2: We're looking to probably do third, fourth and fifth.
S3: Okay. Yeah.
S2: And just spread everybody out. So there are ten classrooms here with a science room, and we still have cottages outside, so they'll have plenty of space for all the co-curricular art, science, music, not science, art, drama and music as well as P.E. so yeah, it's exciting and hopefully you guys are a part of that. One of the things that I was curious about, having now stepped on the other side of being an educator instead of being educated, what was that like, and have you been able to use the experiences teaching here in your current roles in college, or are you just taking tests.
S3: That do a little bit of teaching here specifically? Like, I mean, all incoming freshmen, we work with composite stuff, and I'll have incoming freshmen that have no idea how to do any of this thing, any of that stuff. So it is fun working with people who have no idea what they want to do with it, or no idea what to do, but they want to learn, and I'll happily teach them and show them and have them get into it and work hands on. And I do correlate the two between, you know, working with the kids back at Saint B's and working with these, you know, freshmen. It is kind of funny. I will also joke me like I have kindergartners who can use scissors better than these seniors.
S2: We won't share this podcast at your university. Don't worry.
S3: Yeah. Oh no, I've said it to their face. Um, but yeah, that's that's fun. And then between, I guess, going from, you know, learning to being an educated myself, there are some things that I see with teachers or professors, and there are things, aspects I like and aspects I don't. And it's fun. It is satisfying to implement what I like and what I don't like, and I can teach that myself and use those skills myself.
S4: For me, I think focuses a lot on the Spanish curriculum, which I'm grateful for. I've always loved learning languages and Spanish being the first one I ever did learn. And so with that in mind, in terms of teaching, I did end up tutoring for some time in Spanish. I helped middle school and high school students at other schools in the area with their courses, and teaching them the way that I was taught at school at Saint Bees, which is the way that it makes sense to me. So I think it's really cool to be able to take what I've learned in terms of Spanish and how to incorporate that language and how there's different teaching styles, and then take what I think has been most beneficial for me, having the ability to explain that to somebody else and then being able to recognize that, like that click or like the the light bulb go off moment that these students are having. Once I finally be able to explain something that they actually can understand. So I think that's one way that I've taken the learning, the educator learning.
S3: Yeah. And for me, you know, I've had like people in some interviews like ask me questions about. Like my time in work at the camps, and it's a lot of like, I think one of the biggest things I got from it was patience with college and work and talking with people. And so definitely patience was a big factor I got from from working there.
S2: And that actually leads into the next question that I have for you all, because college is not easy. Life starts to weigh heavy as you're starting to end your career there as students. What were some of the things you learned here at Saint Benedict's that you think helped you in those tough times at school? Maybe things that didn't have to do with school. You don't have to share the details of that, but the skills that you learn here. How did you translate those when things got rough?
S4: For me, I think the ability to ask for help. So Saint Benedict was a very welcoming community in that sense, where if you're struggling or you need extra tutoring or you don't understand something, I always felt very comfortable going up to my teachers and asking and furthering my understanding. And so that's something that I feel like a lot of my peers, especially in college, do struggle with. It's asking for help or like being able to identify that they need help and figuring out where to go for that. So instead of asking for help or emailing the professor or going to extra tutoring sessions, they just kind of dwell in it. And so that's something that taught me was to just make sure that when I need something, that I find the appropriate people to seek, that the problem solved.
S3: I think Catherine answered that pretty perfectly, because I feel the same, you know? So like in my I just took an intermediate accounting exam this morning. I was talking about and I know my teacher, my class isn't that big because it's a secondary accounting class. But you know, I still am able like he knows me. Like I was like, talk with him after the exam. Like I was like, I realized I forgot how to do something. It just lost my mind. And so we were talking about that, and I've gone to his office hours on our homeworks. We can do this thing where we email a professor. I've done that plenty of times, and he emails me at like 939, 45 at night. He's really good about and being really helpful with that. Yeah. Like she said, it's just, you know, it's really helped you like because the classes were very small. And so because of that, you get that big connection with your teachers. And I think that's one of the most important things. You know, a lot of other schools you might not have that. And that's just such like an important aspect of school that you can get the one on one experience and one on one learning to really fit your needs. A little called that here, because that's actually one thing I do struggle with is reaching out for help. I do also at the front of the class, I always, you know, I like to talk to my professor. You know, when they're walking in, walking out, try to relate with them. Like Matthew said, go to their office hours and stuff.
S2: There's one other thing that I think just growing the school and seeing how scrappy and creative the school has been. Just with space alone, we've attracted faculty who are also very creative and how they teach. I'm wondering if that rubbed off on you all as learners, how the creativity that surrounded you in the classroom has helped you become the learners that you are.
S4: I mean, I think I'm an open minded learner if that can even be applied to this question. So like the creativity that the teachers would bring would ensure that I was, I think, almost more like a well-rounded not only student but also a person. The one thing that comes to mind would be Teacher Leffler. So like Teacher Leffler always had out of the box ideas and out of the box activities, and he was definitely one of the more creative teachers, in my opinion. So, for example, when we were reading like Am Malala in sixth grade, he made sure that we had dates and had a picnic of like cultural foods, which is something that, you know, you might not always do, but it was something creative and outside the box that we could implement what we were learning in the classroom, outside of the classroom. So like, think that when they're creative, it allows us to think more outside the box, which is what the world really needs. Especially think within a lot of a lot of different fields, like so not just Ryan with aeronautical and engineering and stuff, but even with like me, who's technically a psychology major like you, there's a lot of different ways to think outside the box.
S3: Yeah. Um, personally, I'm not the most creative person, I'll be honest. But I do remember I think it was miss McFall. Is that right, guys? Red hair? Yes. Yes. Yeah. She, um. I don't know if this was seventh or eighth grade, but it was sometime middle school we were talking about sometime in the early 1900s. It was history, and we were talking about like child labor laws and stuff like that. Or it was this was like how she brought it up, basically. So we had a class where we had it was like a little example thing. We had a class where we. Had to like basically be an assembly line, kind of. We were at like little tables or like an assembly line. And she was putting on this all like persona of like what it was like for children. And when they were working, because she didn't tell us that first. So we were all surprised. We were all so angry, like, like what is going on? Because she just it was complete different change of tone. We were like, what is going on? I mean, she's.
S4: The nicest person on the face. Yeah. So for her to be there and be like a dictator, that's like, oh, that would have been hilarious.
S3: We were so confused and we were like, all so angry. And then at the end of the class, she was like, I forget what she said, but she basically was like, so what do you guys think? Like, how is that like. We were like, what? What is going on? It was something with folding papers and like making letters, I think. And she didn't like it. She would take it up and crumble it up and throw in the trash. And yeah, very, very not.
S2: Characteristic of any of your guests, much less Mrs. McFall.
S3: And so the reveal, it was like, oh my God. And we were we were all like, she was like, I promise. Like, I'm so sorry. She was like so apologetic as well. And so then we started talking about, you know, the history and everything. And that's just like, you know, one of the things that Saint does is like, be creative. And their teaching, like you said. And I think that was just a great experience because, I mean, I still remember that. And looking back on it, it was a lot of fun, although scary at the time maybe. Yeah. I mean, I've had to do a lot of thinking on the fly, coming up with solutions at random, specifically some of the competitions or clubs I've been a part of. So definitely been hugely important coming from that creative background. Not not all solutions. I mean, that's what that's what engineering is, right? You know, problem solving with a lot of math. Um, but that definitely is to, um, hugely important, not only in just, you know, in clubs and stuff, but, I mean, I've talked with friends of mine, have graduated and gone to work in industry. And funny enough, creativity is some of the most important factor. The qualities that look for in an engineer, because things don't always work out where you want it, or even in simulation. So you have to come up with solutions for that out of the box.
S2: Very cool having Abby walk by. Abby Gould was here at Saint Benedict's also. Her dad is actually still on the board of trustees. It just shows that to the next question. Our secret sauce, I think, has always been community that we were able to or three zip codes is where all of our students mostly come from. You don't have to drive on a highway to get to your friend's house to have to spend the night here at Saint Benedict's, and you get to know everyone, and you have to see them every day. I think Abby was actually the one that said the best thing that happened to her going to a big school was that she knew she was going to have to see those people every day and like them, are not like them. You have to get along well. Thank you Kathryn, Matthew and Ryan, you guys have given us a lot to hang our hat on and sit on the precipice waiting for part two. Everyone who is currently listening, I'm sure you cannot wait to hear more about their story and their enduring impact at Saint Benedict's Episcopal School. To our listeners, again, especially our esteemed alumni, we hope this conversation has brought you back to some fond memories. Reinforce the bonds that connect us as we approach the 15th anniversary of Saint Benedict's. We encourage all alumni to stay connected, and I will have more about that in part two. Again, remember, you're an integral part of Saint Benedict story, and we look forward to celebrating our milestone together. Until next time, part two. This is Father Brian Sullivan signing off from planting Seeds. Wishing you a continued success and growth in all your endeavors. Thank you all for listening and getting to know our growing community, and we will see you soon for part two. As always, keep spreading kindness, compassion, and love.
S1: Thanks for listening. To planting seeds, Cultivating Critical Thinking, creativity, community, and Lifelong Learning with your host father, Brian Sullivan. To find out more about Saint Benedict's Episcopal School, visit Stubb's Dawg.
S5: This podcast is a production of BGR ad Group. All rights reserved.