Speaker 1: Thank you, New York. Today we're reminded of the power of community and the power of coming together. Athletes, on your mark.
Speaker 2: The first woman to finish, for the second straight year, here in the New York City Marathon is Miki Gorman, a smiling Miki Gorman, and why not? 2: 29:30, the time for (inaudible) .
Speaker 3: Look at the emotion of Shalane Flanagan as she comes to the line. Pointing to his chest, pointed to the USA he so proudly wears across his chest. A great day for Meb Keflezighi.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hey everybody, and welcome to Set the Pace, the official podcast of New York Road Runners, presented by Peloton. Nice to have you with us this week. I'm your host, Rob Simmelkjaer, the CEO of New York Road Runners. And with me, Peloton instructor extraordinaire, Becs Gentry. What's up Becs? How are you?
Becs Gentry: That always makes me giggle. I think every time you introduce me in a different way, I always giggle. I'm fantastic. Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You are an extraordinaire. How many people have I met in the last months that we've been doing this podcast together, who tell me that Becs is their favorite instructor? It's what gets them up, it's what gets them on the tread. You make a big impact in that Peloton world, and I'm not just saying that. I hear that all the time, so I think that's the appropriate word.
Becs Gentry: Too kind.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Are you surviving this winter? How are you doing?
Becs Gentry: I'm not training, so I'm good.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah.
Becs Gentry: I have zero guilt about not getting out there for miles.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's a good segue.
Becs Gentry: Which is... Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... to my situation.
Becs Gentry: ... which is a really good segue to-
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... which is quite different.
Becs Gentry: Why are you not liking this winter so much, Rob?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. Yeah, because I am training, and I've been alluding to it, but I always like to hold the news until maybe a month out, until I feel like I'm really doing it.
Becs Gentry: We're so similar.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, but I'm going to run the Tokyo Marathon.
Becs Gentry: Wow.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I'm going to give this a go. Absolutely.
Becs Gentry: Let's go.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We're doing this. We're doing this, Becs.
Becs Gentry: Yes, you are.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I'm excited. I'm really excited. After running Berlin, I knew I was going to the Tokyo Marathon. I had already made a plan to go to that event. I have a pattern of going to usually one international major every year to represent New York Road Runners. So this was the year I was going to Tokyo. And after running Berlin and coming out feeling pretty healthy, I was like, you know what? I kind of running these events when I go to them, if I can.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, exactly. Why not?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Sitting around watching people run, it's great, but doing it is so much better. You really get the experience.
Becs Gentry: Exactly.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And I can really compare it to the experience of running in New York, or with the other majors. So I was fortunate enough to get an invitation from the amazing folks in Tokyo, our friends, the race director out there, Yasu and former race director, Tad. They're just a great, great group of people who run that event. So I'm really excited. And I think what I'm frankly most excited about, Becs, is just going to Japan.
Becs Gentry: A hundred percent.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I've never been. It's such an unbelievable, amazing and unique place on our earth. And I'm just really excited to visit Japan for the first time.
Becs Gentry: Well, first and foremost, I'm incredibly excited for you. I'm very proud of you for doing it again, getting out there, getting this second in six months, really, done. And I will concur. Japan is phenomenal. I questioned everything about my choice to live in the USA when I came home from Japan, because I was like, what is wrong with us all here? We are so rude. We are so dirty. We are just not cool. We're not cool to each other, especially. And something that really stuck out to me in Japan is, even when there's a huge race on, even when it's as busy as Tokyo is as a metropolis, people are kind and patient to one another. The subway system you will see is organized and calm, even though there are more people probably than in New York riding it. And I really did take on board with me that Japanese way of just... We all get frustrated. Someone pushes in front of you when you're in the line for the bathroom at a race, and you're cursing them out on your mind, but you take a deep breath, because you're like, " You know what? We're all going to get there. We're going to get there." So I'm so happy you're going to go and experience this amazing, amazing city, and run 26.2. Because what better than, I love saying it when I feel like having a workout, especially if it's a sixty- minute class that I teach and there's members in the room, I'm like, " I'm going to do this with you, because there is nothing better than experiencing what your people are experiencing. And here we go." Here he goes, the CEO of New York Road Runners, off to experience another World Marathon major.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I can't wait. If I'm fortunate enough to make it to the finish line-
Becs Gentry: You will.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It will be my third star in the Abbott World Marathon Majors-
Becs Gentry: Halfway to the OG six.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... journey, as they say, the six- star journey as we call it. So halfway, not bad. I frankly never thought I was going to run more than one marathon when I first ran the New York Marathon back in the day. So hey, every one I add on is more than I ever thought I would do, so I'm excited about that. Now, Becs, what I have not been excited about, and I've got to be honest, is the winter training. So this is obviously my first ever spring marathon. I have never trained-
Becs Gentry: Oh, I'm sorry.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... for a marathon in the winter months before. And it has really been a struggle for me. I think, Becs, what's getting me through it is the very limited goals that I have for this race. I am not trying to set a PR. I'm not trying to do anything. I just want to finish it. And so I'm banking on the fitness I had from Berlin to get me through. But unlike Berlin where I was really, I used the Run It (inaudible) app when I was training for Berlin. I was doing speed workouts, and tempo workouts.
Becs Gentry: You were committed.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... and I was going for it, because it was summer and it was warm. And even though it was sometimes too warm, I had no trouble getting out the door for a run.
Becs Gentry: And we had a lot longer daylight hours to play with too.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's the thing. Becs, it's the daylight. It just kills me, because-
Becs Gentry: Awful.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... I've got to do my runs typically at 6:00 AM, 5: 30 AM, before whether my kids are getting up, or work is starting, and there's just no light. So I don't like running outside in the dark. That's not a thing I'm comfortable with, especially when I'm out here in Connecticut versus in the city, where it's a little bit easier to do. So where does that put me?
Becs Gentry: On the treadmill.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It puts me on a treadmill. And I know at Peloton-
Becs Gentry: Careful what you say.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Really, Becs. This is really, I've got to get myself on the Peloton track.
Becs Gentry: You do.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Because I'm just going and doing treadmill workouts on my own, and I just can't stand it. It just kills me to run on the treadmill.
Becs Gentry: We need to get you a tread class (inaudible) .
Rob Simmelkjaer: So I've got to get in a Becs Gentry running class on the tread, because it is just a struggle for me to run on these treadmills. I've learned that about five miles is my max at this point on a tread.
Becs Gentry: Oh, wow.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And then I'm just done. I can't mentally get myself any longer than about 45 minutes or so on the treadmill.
Becs Gentry: Have you done any combo? Tread start and then finish off outside?
Rob Simmelkjaer: I have not done that. I should probably try that.
Becs Gentry: Try that when you're in Connecticut, because as you say, it's easier in New York, because you'll generally find a bunch of other people in New York who are willing to pack it up and go for a darker early morning run, because I think it's more sensible to run in a pack in the darkness, for sure. Especially for women too. But I do like that, the tread start, if it's a super early morning start, especially if you want to turn over the legs, and maybe do some faster work. And then head out and finish off the easy miles outside, bundle up, obviously change out of your sweaty stuff, bundle up for the cold, and get it done that way. And I think vice versa. If you've got a long run and it's icy out, get your easy part of the long run done. If you've got a combo, I like to get people running a bit of faster times in the long runs nearer the race, just to turn the legs over. Pop that onto the tread, so you're not risking slipping on the ice and snow if it is on the ground, but it's patience. And I've got to tell you, as much as it's awful on the tread for a long time, and I say that with love as a Peloton instructor who instructs very long classes, our classes, it's different. There's distraction. We're entertaining you whilst you're doing it. But if you are just on a simple tread with no screen and no Peloton instructor, it tasks your brain almost as much as your body to stay on it for X number of miles that you have to do. But when those races are boring, or those races are not going well, or if you listen to music, your headphones died, or your phone died, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to get through that mental battle. So sometimes I do prescribe longer treadmill work in order to train the brain, because you might need that as much as the body training on race day, if all went wrong. You don't want to bail on a race, because your headphones died. That's lame.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I tell you what, that's great advice. It really is. It makes a lot of sense to me that you would tell people to do that. And it's funny, you're mentioning this bailing on something for the headphones. This morning, Becs, true story. I did not get on the treadmill this morning, because my headphones were not charged. I was like, " No, I cannot do this this morning." So I put my headphones in the charger, and I'm going to run later this afternoon outside. I have a little window I can run today, but it's literally, the idea of being on the treadmill without the-
Becs Gentry: Without noise distraction.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... the music, without the news or whatever the show I was going to watch. I was like, " No, no, no, no. That's a step too far for me. I can't do it." And I missed a run, because my headphones were not charged, so if you're out there-
Becs Gentry: If you were my client, I'd be telling you off.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, well, you know what? I can see. You can't see right now. The look on Becs' face is one of disapproval, but understanding.
Becs Gentry: Serious disapproval.
Rob Simmelkjaer: But understanding.
Becs Gentry: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So for those of you out there who are struggling through this winter training session, first of all, some great tips from Becs there, but I just want you to know, I understand. I really do understand, and I think really it's just learning some tricks, I think, to get through it-
Becs Gentry: It is.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... and to find a way through these short days, and these cold days, to achieve our goals in the spring.
Becs Gentry: It is. Well, talking of cold running, it was a pretty cold weekend here in New York. It wasn't as cold as we have had, but it was still a little nippy. It was a bit gray as well. It was a bit of a double whammy of meh.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, Becs, make no mistake. Sunday morning at the New York Road Runners Manhattan 10K, it was freezing.
Becs Gentry: It was. It really was.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It was very, very cold. I think the-
Becs Gentry: It was windy too, wasn't it?
Rob Simmelkjaer: The wind luckily wasn't so bad-
Becs Gentry: No. Oh, Brooklyn.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... but it was 18 degrees. It was 18 Fahrenheit at the start of the race.
Becs Gentry: No, thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It was absolutely frigid. And I just want to first of all give some love to our staff, and our volunteers, because getting out there, starting to set up at 2: 00, 3:00 in the morning, out there all night. Before any heaters have been set up and tents have been set up, they're doing the hard work in the wee hours on these cold nights. Our staff, our folks based in Manhattan, we've got a whole staff based at the warehouse that we have out in the Bronx, who come to these races early and start setting things up. They are heroes on days like that. So I want to thank them, I want to thank our volunteers of course, for being out there. And I want to thank the runners, because I thought we'd have maybe kind of a high no- show rate. It was a beautiful day. The sun was out, it wasn't too windy, and that was enough for 7, 858 runners to cross the finish line in the Manhattan 10K. This, by the way, was a big year for this race, because it's now joined the Five- Borough Series. It's the first race of the Five- Borough Series this year, first time it's ever been in that position. So this was a really big race, and we were thrilled to see such an amazing turnout for that race on Sunday morning. The winners were familiar names, the non- binary winner, Elijah Taylor, 35:47 third race in a row, Elijah has won their division for the women. Former Set the Pace Member Moment guest, Khia Kurtenbach was first, with a time of 34:18. I saw Khia at the finish line, had a chance to congratulate her. And on the men's side it was an El Jazouli, but not Jaouad, who we've been talking about a lot. His brother, Issam El Jazouli won, with a blazing time of 31:15. Becs, there was no one close to Issam El Jazouli brother as he crossed the finish line. On Sunday, I had a chance to chat with him a little bit. He runs for a garden state track club or running club out of New Jersey, and did a phenomenal job. So congratulations to Issam. His brother Jaouad won the Joe K and the Fred Lebow. So those brothers are hot right now, and they're doing really well.
Becs Gentry: So well. My goodness. Yeah, it was chilly. And yeah, I'm happy. I had nearly two hours on the tread on Saturday.
Rob Simmelkjaer: How nice for you.
Becs Gentry: Teaching.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It was a good day. Good day to be on the tread-
Becs Gentry: Good day to be inside.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... doing your thing on that beautiful Peloton treadmill. Absolutely. All right. Well, Becs, we've got a great show today.
Becs Gentry: We do.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Coming up, we've got someone who really is one of the most impactful and inspirational people that I've met in my time as CEO of New York Road Runners, who works in the running industry. Harry Chandler, he's the co- owner of the Charlotte Running Company in Charlotte, North Carolina. And he's one of the few African- American retail store owners in the United States. He's had an incredible journey to that position. He's also the president of the Running Industry Association. So he's made a great impact on running, and we can't wait to talk to Harry about his journey, and everything he sees as vital to running a diverse, equitable and inclusive space for everybody, both the runners and the people who want to make it their living as well. And then Becs, our Member Moment today we'll be with Team for Kids runner, Annabella Espina, who's training for Tokyo as well. That's right. I'll be seeing Annabella over there. And then Meb will be here for today's Meb Minute. And Meb's going to give us pointers about what shoes you should be running in when your marathon training requires a lot of long runs in icy conditions. Okay, I need to listen to that.
Becs Gentry: Ready to level up your running? With the Peloton Tread and Tread+, you can challenge yourself anytime, anywhere. Whether you're building strength or working on speed, Peloton has a class for every goal, from 5 to 120 minute workouts. With muscle building classes and flexible training options, you'll have everything you need to crush your next race, and then recover from it. All access membership separate. Find your push, find your power at onepeloton. com/ race- training. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner for New York Road Runners.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Our guest today is Harry Chandler, who is quickly becoming a real leader in the world of running. A passionate runner whose journey began over two decades ago in Michigan, harry is now the co- owner of the Charlotte Running Company, one of the very few black- owned running retail stores in the United States, and it was voted best running store in America in 2021. Not only dedicated to the industry, he also loves running. And he's got a real vision for a more diverse and equitable running community. Harry was recently appointed the president of the Running Industry Association. Beyond his professional roles, Harry is deeply committed to advocating for underrepresented communities, emphasizing social responsibility in everything he does. And Harry, I've had a chance to hang out with you a couple of times in the New York Road Runners offices and seeing you around the industry, doing the amazing things you do. It's great to have you on Set the Pace. Welcome.
Harry Chandler: Thank you. Thanks for having me. I was just there last week.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes. Yes, you were. You've got kind of a public speaking thing, that you really have become excellent at as well. We'll talk about that in a minute. But let's just start with your story. And I always like to ask people who are unfamiliar to our audience, who come on this show, how'd you start running? Where did this path into running even start for you?
Harry Chandler: It came in a weird space, in my actual career, working at a running store back home. Initially, you'd never see me running. I was football, and it was punishment, but I was real quick working in a 7- Eleven back home in Okemos, Michigan where I'm from, ironically enough. And this gentleman, Tony Thomas would come in every day after he left work, and he would say, " Hit me, Harry." And I knew exactly what he meant, because he wanted half a pint of black velvet. And he would run to the, and he would grab his Mountain Dew. Then he'd come to the front and he'd go, "Harry, you're better than this place. We've got to get you out of here. Come work with me." I'm like, " Tony, I don't want to work with you if you're drinking after every shift. What is this job?" He finally wore me down, and I ended up at the semi- annual sidewalk sale at Playmakers in Okemos, Michigan where I grew up. My first introduction to a specialty run shop, I'd never been inside the door of one. And I walked in, and it was otherworldly. It was 15, 000 square feet of a waterfall, and saltwater fish tanks, and stairs on either side. And I'm like, what is this place? So I head to the back. There is a huge sign that says, " Head upstairs, take your name tag, take your binder and have a seat." So I did that. And then someone walks up the stairs behind me, and they neglected to do that/ but I said, you know what? That's none of my business. And we start having a conversation. And then the next person walks up, and they do the same, and then the next and the same. So I'm like, wait a second. So I grab a handful of binders and name tags, and start walking around to people, asking them what their name is and then hand them their binders. And then John Benedict, who you may know, JB, owner of Playmakers at the time, walks up behind me and taps me on the shoulder and goes, " Hey, do you work here?" I was like, " Not at all. This is my first day. I should probably sit down." And I did. He walked away from me and headed over to his business partner, Tom Keenoy. And I found out later that he told him that if I made it through that he would hire me. So made it through the sidewalk sale, got a call from a Marty Novicki, who's still working at Playmakers now, was offered an interview, came back and sat down with Karen Haley, who is no longer with Playmakers, but she was a huge part of my grooming in the specialty run industry. And I was hired. JB was a mentor. It took some warming up, a slow burn, so I was younger at that time. So it was a lot of late for shifts, a lot of missing shifts, and he was the first person to challenge me, because my parents were the cheerleaders, right? My mom and dad are from Mississippi, my dad's French Creole, my mom's from the South. Their son can't do any wrong. So that was a new opportunity to grow for me. So JB probably fired me, and hired me back like 17 times. It's like, " Hey, get out-"
Rob Simmelkjaer: Good boss.
Harry Chandler: Yeah. He's like, " Go home, and come back when you know what you want to do." And I'm like, " Okay, I will." So I ended up going to get my masters. Then I went to go work at a company called Global Orange Development, headquartered in East Lansing, Michigan. I was their store development coordinator. So I helped franchisees find the best socioeconomic location, bid their build- outs to contractors, hire in new staff, and then I moved on to the next one. It wasn't fulfilling for me, but it was a great opportunity to learn in practice. So from there I went back to Playmakers, of course, worked for JB a little bit as a sales associate, then went to footlocker. com and did sales forecasting. So my background is quantitative methods and statistics So I did forecasting. How many Pegasus should you buy next year, based on how many you sold this year?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Something that's very important in the retail industry.
Becs Gentry: Very.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You don't want to overstock or understock. You want to get it as close to right as you can, absolutely.
Harry Chandler: Yeah. Stayed there for two years. Footlocker did take care of us as far as compensation is concerned. So I was able to call JB, of course go back to Playmakers again, and I said, " I've got to get out of Michigan, man." I was in Wausau, Wisconsin where Foot Locker's headquarter is. It's cold there. Now I'm back in Michigan. It's cold here. " Who do you know?" So he gave me a list of people, and I emailed at least 25 people. And at one point, I get a call back from him that says, " Look, stop reaching out to my friends. Pick a place." So I took a call with Donnie Forsyth and Charlotte where I am today, call on Monday. He sounded so much like JB. Everything he had to save was just reminiscent of JB. So I took the job on that Monday, found an apartment on Tuesday, and was in Charlotte on Wednesday.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And there you go. And you've been there ever since.
Harry Chandler: Ever since I was 12 bucks an hour at the new store when I started. And then I managed and assisted managed Fleet Feet, then reached out, and got offered a job with them just due to my background with Global Orange and store development. And then Scott and I talked in his living room. Scott founded Charlotte Running Company, and he's actually my partner, co- owner of Charlotte running company as well, and said, I don't want to go. But I understand, it's a small business and you can't necessarily give me this. It's your retirement plan. There is no backup. You put everything you have into these businesses, and secession says a rock star will buy it and your family will be able to retire. So he created the position of general manager. So I didn't leave. Thank God. And then another conversation with Fleet Feet, back on Scott's couch, crying again, because that's what I do. I'm like, " I don't want to go. We've got to figure something out, so give me a month." He and I went to Beef 'n Bottle in Charlotte. It's a steakhouse. Well, I like the ones in New York. That's what it reminds me of. It's dark, it's moody. You can hear the conversation of the table next to you. And the quote was, " Harry, you care, and sometimes I think you care too much, but that's what matters to me." And he slid a Manila envelope across the folder for me. This is in 2020. And it was at that point that he asked me to be his partner at Charlotte Running Company, Incorporated. So that's when my ownership started with CRC.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So he went from employee to owner, which is not an easy thing to do, Becs. And clearly it was the passion that he had for what he was doing that got that envelope slid across the table.
Harry Chandler: Yeah.
Becs Gentry: Absolutely. Harry, that is a story of perseverance. It's a story of love and passion. And one, I'm sure a lot of our listeners will be inspired, and if not, feel some sort of recognition of themselves in there as well. But I want to rewind a little bit to high school for you.
Harry Chandler: Yeah.
Becs Gentry: You've said in numerous interviews, what started you as a runner was actually a really darn uncomfortable day. Yes, you said earlier it was punishment. (inaudible) , a lot of people say that. In the USA I can't tell you how many times I'm like, " What happens when you guys go to school? I don't understand your sports teachers here," because 99% of people I meet is like, " Running was punishment." I'm like, " Do you guys need some new teachers in this country? Because in the UK they're not that cruel." Anyway, let's rewind past that. But you've said that you went out for a 100 degree heat run.
Harry Chandler: It was hot.
Becs Gentry: But that started your passion?
Harry Chandler: That's when I realized, oh, I might like this. So my parents went out of town-
Becs Gentry: Which is absurd, by the way. Most people are like, " Hell no. Way too hot. Going to expire. Bye bye."
Harry Chandler: It was an opportunity to get lost, and it was in a perfect moment, like a time where I just need to just go for a run. I needed to get out of my head. And my parents are going on vacation, and Ms. Joni is next door. She's awesome. Her and her family are still there, but Ms. Joni watches the block. And if anything is going on, she is very aware. So I head out of the house, it's high nineties, almost a hundred at that point, and I just head for a run. So I go down Hollow Brook, I turn onto (inaudible) , and I'm running down there, and I end up at a park. And then I come back. And of course she's coming out of the house and she's like, " Harry, come over here. What is wrong with you?" I'm like, " What did I do?" You know what I mean? I'm stunned and shocked. And she was like, "Get in here. Do you know it's a hundred degrees outside?" So she shoves me in her house, and gives me a bottle of water and has me drink it. And she's just talking to me and telling me, " You're crazy," and all this other stuff, but she's doing it in love, of course. " Your parents wouldn't want you out here like that." And then had a conversation with her that lasted maybe 15, 20 minutes, and it ended with, I'm in love with running. I like the chance to go out and get out of my head, to challenge my body, to push the limits, which I've done too many times with my stints with rhabdo that I've had staying at a hospital because of it, but I fell in love with running then.
Becs Gentry: Oh, wow. Wow.
Harry Chandler: The sport of it.
Becs Gentry: The sport of it. And you've taken that now. You sound like you are now the Miss Joni of the running, and especially DEI and running. You're like the Miss Joni of your era now. You're watching out for the block, the whole community, making sure it's running right, making sure everyone's doing the good things. So that run has brought you to where you are today. And I had a little look on your LinkedIn. I like to have a little look about how people work, especially in a professional manner. And the amount of people, Harry, who have written on your achievements, " Congratulations, but no surprise," because you get these incredible awards and you get recognition. But everybody is so loving towards you. You deserve it for all the work you've done. And you are somebody who has always run. There's a lot of people in this industry who don't really run, but they can do business, but you've done both. So let's talk a little bit about DEI in the running world, as well as in the professional space, but in the running world. I don't want to say it's a hot topic, because it always should be a topic of conversation, but in the current climate we live in right now, it's icy. It's like, " Whoo, what are we talking about here? Let's dig into this a little bit." So because you started in high school, because you started as this young kid in such an incredibly tight community, what do you think your first experiences of racial equity and inclusion? How do you think that shaped where you've come?
Harry Chandler: I say it all the time. I was protected and sheltered for sure with the community that I had at Playmakers. It was in the middle of rural Okemos, where somehow there was a mix of everybody that you could think of inside of that store. So it gave me an opportunity to appreciate differences without even knowing that that was something that I was learning. You know what I mean? I was loved on by so many different people of so many different ethnicities, and so many different sexual orientations, and so many different physical abilities. So I would say that in that bubble or ethos is kind of where my grooming took place, and where I grew in the industry. From a racial standpoint, I don't think I experienced any negative contention until I got to Charlotte. And at that point, I had lived experiences, and I had mentorship, and I had people to help me navigate that in a way that I was almost fully proud of. And then in some instances, where I feel like I could have done a little bit better there.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I asked Ted Metellus this. We had Ted on our podcast last week, talking about him being the first black race director of the TCS New York City Marathon. I asked him, " Why does it matter? Why does it matter that there's a black race director?" So Harry, I guess I would ask you in what you do and the role you have in the running industry as an entrepreneur, an owner, things like that, why does it matter that you're black? People want to talk about DEI and hold you as an example, but does it matter? Why does it matter?
Harry Chandler: Yeah. Me being black is a huge part of it. What I'm doing while I'm black is even larger. I preach it everywhere I go that you can't be what you can't see. And in Charlotte, the level of disparity in our economic system, it's tragic, right? Three out of four people born into poverty in our area die in poverty. And it just so happens that the majority of them are minorities or underrepresented people. And if those underrepresented, or those minorities can't see a person like me achieving, and working towards things, and doing things for the positive and better of our community, they don't know that as an option for themselves. We we did a really cool charity here, called Bad Prom, and it's exactly what you think it is. You dress terribly. And then prom king and queen or whoever raised the most for this organization. And one of the subsidiaries was the Wesley Ministry. And what we were to do was to pick some kids up, take them and get some clothes for their mock interviews. So I asked one of the parents, or I asked one of the students to take a permission slip, go get his parents to sign it, so that we could take him to a local mall. And when I named the mall, he said he didn't know what that was. Is that an amusement park? And that's here in Charlotte, and it's 20 minutes from where he lives. So that's why it's important for me to be black, and be co- owning a business, and to be speaking on platforms when they're available, and to be talking to you all today.
Becs Gentry: Ted started his answer the same way. You can't be what you can't see. And that was his whole ethos of, other people need to see me here in this position in order to aspire to make changes in their communities, and do the same as what you're doing. So Harry, you work for some incredible organizations, RIA, Running Industry Diversity Coalition as well. I love those guys. I love Kiera. I adore her. We happen to always end up in the same restaurants together. It's so weird. And we always end up sitting and having food and a chat. But can you just talk to me a little bit about those organizations, and some of the things that you are super proud of, that you've championed whilst being in the roles there?
Harry Chandler: First order of business, stepping into my time as president of the Running Industry Association, was to correctly define the incorrectly defined term of what DEI means for anyone, but specifically for our organization. A lot of people make DEI and affirmative action a synonym, so it's instantly a race thing. Some of those same people don't know that DEI also has provided and made provisions for them, right? DEI is escalators, and elevators, and wheelchair ramps. DEI is nursing rooms for mothers. DEI is clinical psychology, and therapy for veterans. It's so much more than what the three of us look like. And it's meant to make us a community, and it's meant to make space for everyone else. So that's what we're working on now. So we decided to get an advisor to offer us perspective and lens for the RIA that would be coming in, looking at our events and programming, looking at our education, looking at our marketing, making sure that we are moving forward in the correct definition of what DEI is. And I'm very proud of that. We are hiring a member manager who has accepted. So that's a new role for us we didn't have before. And with the RIDC, they know I don't play about them. I love them, 10 toes down for the RIDC all the time. Kiera is a dear friend of mine. Abigail, Betsy, Sông now as the new president. I love them all. And Sông's here in Charlotte with us, because she's with features too.
Becs Gentry: Really?
Harry Chandler: Yeah.
Becs Gentry: Ah. And you are the chair, right?
Harry Chandler: The retail subcommittee.
Becs Gentry: Retail subcommittee. Okay.
Harry Chandler: Yeah. And it's essentially making sure that when someone walks into a specialty run shop, they see themselves. That's the role there. I've been so inspired in so many of our aspirations by the RIDC, including our recreation of their ever famous cookout that they put on at the running event. And we just did our second annual cookout, Community Unity Cookout. Just last Saturday here in Charlotte. We had easily 250 people coming through the shop. We had a speaker come in, Hailey Mangrum. She's a colleague of mine, went to Western Michigan with me. And she spoke on community, and innovation versus collaboration, and what that looks like. And she talked about leadership, and our burdens as leaders. And we had some really good conversations. And we did a group run, which was great. Black Men Run Charlotte led that. We had food trucks, we had music. Kids were playing. We had the street block. It was an old time block party, and it was great.
Becs Gentry: Phenomenal. Phenomenal.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Harry, I'd love to ask you a little about just the industry now, and the role of the kind of specialty stores in the retail ecosystem of running. How hard is it right now for people in that space, who have smaller stores? You're not necessarily part of a big chain. What does that look like day to day? What brands are you carrying? Is it pretty much everything across the board? And if you're out there as a runner, why go to a specialty running store like yours, versus going to a much bigger sporting goods chain, or something like that?
Harry Chandler: Yeah. So we carry about 15 different brands. We try to row in some niche brands, things you can only get from us. And we also include the bigger guys, so your Nikes, your Adidas, your Brooks, Asics, so on and so forth. Specialty run shops. What you won't get shopping at . com, sitting in your living room, is the connection. And that's a requirement for people. We need to be connected. Community is a requirement for us. I say it all the time, that we're a reflection of our community, the people that poured into us, the people that are working with us, and the people that we're serving and pouring into. That's what you get in a specialty run shop. It opened my eyes to an entire different life, and changed my trajectory by just listening to Tony Thomas and stopping by a specialty run shop. Introducing me to John Benedict, who's one of my best friends to this day, and was a mentor then, and poured into me. You don't get those opportunities, unless you come into a shop. You don't get to connect with people that love the sport. You don't get to connect with the people that love the community. You don't get to collaborate with the people that care about your journey in health, and in fitness, and what that could honestly do for your life. Last Friday... I am going to cry. I am.
Becs Gentry: It's cathartic. Let it out. It means you care, right?
Rob Simmelkjaer: I want to hear what happened last Friday.
Harry Chandler: Last Friday, I had an appointment with my friend Brantley here in Charlotte who owns a meal prep company. And I needed to be there between the hours of 3: 00 and 4: 00, so I had a window to go get these pictures taken for some advertisement for her business. And I promised her I would, so I owe her a coffee now. But 3: 28, I'm like, " All right. I can still make it. It's around the corner." And I start walking towards the door, and this lady and her son walk in. And I start talking to them, asking them all the qualifying questions, what brings you in? Any injuries? How'd you hear about us? What are you going to do? And I'm just biding my time. I'm like, at some point somebody else is going to come over here and I'm going to be able to say, " This is ( insert name), and they're going to finish this up with you." And nobody came. And I'm like, " All right, we've got to get to work." So I sit down with her. Her name is Ashley, and she actually is a trainer at the gym I go to, and I had no idea. And her son, Jackson, is sitting down with me. And we're just laughing, having conversations. And I asked him, " What are you going to be doing in these shoes?" He said, " Well, I lift some, I cross train, but I'm also going to be doing some running. It's the only thing that makes me happy." And he said that. And I was like, " I haven't heard that in so long." Kids coming in, their parents are dragging them in, because they need spikes for cross country. And this young man is running, because it makes him happy, and it changes his physical and mental state. And I said out loud to him, I was like, " You're going to make me cry, man." And his mom said the same thing, " I'm going to cry too." So she started up, and then I started up. And then we finished up the process, and then they left. And I called Jen. And I said, " Jen, I'm going to make your day right now. One of your trainer's sons came in and got some shoes from us, and he said that running's the only thing that makes him happy." Before I could get it out, she said, " Harry, I know exactly who you're talking about." And out of their privacy, I won't go too far into the conversation, but that young man is living in, and overcome a very dark time. And because of running, he was able to dig himself out of it.
Becs Gentry: That's beautiful. And so lucky that he has found that as well.
Harry Chandler: Yeah. You don't get that online.
Becs Gentry: You do not. You do not get that online. And he's probably looked at you, and thought that maybe Harry could be a mentor to you, or the inspiration. And the happiness that you gave him in that interaction maybe ignited something even more in that love for running.
Rob Simmelkjaer: One of the other things you don't really get online is learning about yourself as a runner, right? Those questions you ask, if you're an experienced runner or a new runner, there's a lot to learn about ourselves as runners. What kind of strides do we have? What kind of strike do we have when our foot touches the ground? What injuries maybe we might be more prone to, because of the way that we run? And what kind of shoes, or orthotics, or other things we might need to help us run with longevity and health, as well as of course, whatever speed we're trying to achieve. So running is such a personal thing. There's so many ways to run out there. You go to a race, and you look at ten people go by, they're all going to have something a little different going on, stride length, what their arms are going to be doing, how their leg falls, how their foot hits the ground. It's just so personal, Harry. And there's no right way or wrong way. There's ways coaches might tell you to do things, but at the end of the day, what gets you from point A to point B is the right way. But there's so much personalization that runners really need to be healthy and successful.
Harry Chandler: Yeah, absolutely.
Becs Gentry: Yeah. Our beautiful differences. One thing I love about the in- store situation, and especially with younger teenagers, that sort of age of kids who either are punished at school, or they love it, is the fashion that comes with it. And it's so easy online to just go onto whatever big brand is of the moment and think, oh, I saw my favorite musical artist wearing that brand, so I'm going to buy those running shoes, but they don't suit you. And then the punishment, and the pain and everything just gets worse, and the running love dissipates. But you come into a store like yours, and you get to actually have those conversations. You get somebody who is going to show you even deeper care for you and your running, to find something that fits. It may not be the coolest of shoes, but I think that it's really important for us to keep going, that coolness and fashion isn't always comfort. Anyone who's ever worn high heels can tell you that. But it's definitely that personal interaction where again, you are going to look at that young man and help him on this journey to even more passion. And it's like a running glow up for him. He loves it already, and you've just got him these new kicks that are going to excel for him. And that's just so cool, because he's going to remember his mom obviously, every time he looks at those shoes, because she got them for him and went with him. But he's going to remember you as well, which that's heartfelt. And to me from having read a lot about you, that's how I feel your journey is. People are going to have these little nuanced moments of, " Wow. Yeah, that was Harry, and Harry did that for me, with me, to inspire me and better me." It's so beautiful, but oh, my goodness.
Harry Chandler: If anyone knows me, they'll tell you I cringe at recognition and accolades. I do. If you read my bio, I start sweating, I want to throw up. And it's just like, hurry up and finish, get to the last sentence. But I just want to serve people. I do. And I found out long ago that that was what my calling was. I didn't know in what capacity it would be. I didn't know how it would evolve. I didn't know it would be anything past tying shoes on people's feet. You know what I mean? And once you fully set into what it is that you're supposed to do, and achieve some type of self- awareness in that and start working towards it, everything just falls into line where it's supposed to.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So Harry, I'm sure there's somebody out there listening to this podcast who loves running, and would love to make it their livelihood, start a business, get into this sport, and really become part of the industry. Regardless of their background, Harry, what advice would you give someone who wants to be part of this industry? Who wants to be an entrepreneur, and really grow a business in this space?
Harry Chandler: You have to work in a specialty run shop if it's your intention to own and operate one. So I would start there. You need to learn the fit process. You need to learn buying patterns. You need to learn accounting. You're going to be a janitor, so just get ready for it, right? You're going to be a therapist, so get ready for that too. There's HR. It's continued ed, for sure. So any opportunity you have to connect with someone who has the capacity, and you can spend some time in a shop, I would 1000% say, start there. Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It really is, that's the base of the pyramid really, in the running industry, is that specialty runner shop, that place where somebody gets their first set of running shoes, or cross- country spikes, and starts to learn about what's out there. Even I probably need to go into those places more often, Harry, just to see what's up, to hear what's hot right now, what people are buying. I'll probably learn something myself about what's going on in the industry, just based on what people are buying.
Harry Chandler: Come on down to Charlotte, North Carolina. I love house guests. I just had Dave Patterson from Brooks stay at my house.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Nice.
Harry Chandler: I tell people all the time, " If you're in town, don't get a hotel. Pop by."
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right. You wouldn't have to ask me twice, especially in this weather. Yes, I'll happily come on down.
Becs Gentry: Watch out, or you're going to have us down there. Harry, when it comes to using social media and your platform to promote the work you're doing, to promote racial equity and inclusion in the running space, what advice would you give to the younger generations right now, in order to keep doing that successfully?
Harry Chandler: Be responsible, right? It's your burden, because it's your platform to serve your specific community in the way that suits them. I say it all the time, collaborate, don't exploit. So what is missing? What is needed? How can you work together with that community and your platform, to bring light to it? Be specific about what it is, the messaging that you want out there, because once it's on social, it's there forever, regardless of if you hit delete or not. And just have intention, right? What are your goals? What are your values? Who is your community? Again, I circled back and I've probably said it 32 times, but there's an audience that I'll have that Rob won't. And there's an audience that Rob has that I'll never get. And the same thing for you, Becs, and so on and so forth. And in those different audiences are the communities that we were talking about, the people before you, the people with you, the people coming after you. So you have to consider them, and consider them with care when you're doing it. Integrity and consistency goes such a long way. Kindness goes such a long way. And if you carry just those, that base value with you, as you're making your journey towards whatever it is and you're emerging as a leader, and a speaker, and an influencer, you won't miss. You can't.
Rob Simmelkjaer: A hundred percent. Absolutely right.
Becs Gentry: Collaborate, don't exploit. I wrote that down, because that really just hit the chord in me.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it.
Becs Gentry: If you hear that in the Peloton class, I promise you I will be quoting you, but I love that so much. It's a great, concise way of explaining how to be responsible on social. Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. No, it's really good. So Harry, what are your future plans for the Charlotte Running Company business? Expansion plans? You got some new stores you want to open up, or expand outside Charlotte, take over North Carolina or the Southeast? What's the plan?
Harry Chandler: I'd say, I'm the optimist and my business partner's the realist, because I'm like, " Yes, 75 stores, let's get it going." And then Scott's like, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's go over to South Carolina and look at the new shopping center that's opening, and let's talk about it in two to three years." We just expanded our Riverwalk store to 3000 square feet. So it is beautiful. There's a bar in there, and Brooks poured like a lacquer over the top of the bar. Customers dropped off all their medals, so they can come in and get a beer, and see their medals. We're right on the Catawba River. But for us, honestly, I would love to see new stores. I would love the opportunity to offer and/ or provide what JB did to me, and what Scott did to me. For example, being Armani McDonald. He manages our Dilworth store. And should he choose, and his family choose to stay with us, there's every intention of making sure that he has that opportunity. So those are my goals for us. I have been talking about, praying about, writing about a fitness foundation, forever. We talked earlier about the disparity in economics and wealth here in Charlotte. And a lot of private schools, even our public schools are all pay to play. And I don't know if I believe that you should have to pay to experience fitness. Far be it for us to gate keep running, and you can't join the team if you don't pay $1, 200, or you can't play football if you don't pay $ 2, 400 and buy all the equipment, because you can't afford travel. So I want to find some way to work with the city of Charlotte school system, Charlotte Running Company, any other network of friends that I have here, so that we can bring that to use, and so that they can get the opportunity to have what I'm sure we've all felt at some point about the sport of running, or any other sport or activity that they want to be involved in.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well, Harry, as our listeners can tell, you are a force of nature. You are doing so much in this industry, not just as an entrepreneur and a business person, but really as a real leader in the sport, and making the sport a more inclusive place. So we appreciate everything you're doing, appreciate everything you do for New York Road Runners as well, because you do a lot with us and for us, helping us to keep ourselves on message. You work a lot with Erica Edwards- O'Neal, our chief diversity officer, who has done such a phenomenal job, and by the way, who just won an award this week at Running USA for her incredible work, and impact in the sport of running. So congratulations to Erica. And Harry, congratulations to you for everything you've done. Thanks for coming on today, and we can't wait to see what happens next.
Harry Chandler: Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Annabella Espina has been a proud member of New York Road Runners since 2011, and her marathon journey is nothing short of extraordinary. Starting with just a 5K in 2009, Annabella has since completed 27 marathons, raising over $25, 000 for Team for Kids, which of course is our charitable fund at New York Road Runners, along the way. This year, she's taking on the Tokyo and the TCS New York City marathons, representing not just her passion for running, but her dedication to empowering young people through New York Road Runners programs. Annabella was with us last year, as she prepared for London. And she's joining us today to share with us how her Tokyo training is going, and what it means to her to be on the verge of earning her sixth star.
Meb Keflezighi: Thanks, Rob. Welcome to the podcast, Annabella. How are you feeling today?
Annabella Espina: Hi, Meb. Thank you. I'm feeling great today.
Meb Keflezighi: Well, it's good to be with you again. I know we did the London Marathon last year. But what inspires you to take on the Tokyo Marathon? And how does it feel to be so close to completing all six Abbott World Marathon Majors?
Annabella Espina: I made the decision to run the Tokyo Marathon, because I've never been to Japan, so that's number one. But then number two, I figured I was so close to the six stars, and there's a little bit of peer pressure from my running friends who already have the six stars, that I had a little kind of FOMO going into it. And I tried to get the spot with Team for Kids, because I love fundraising for this great organization. And I was lucky enough to get the spot, and I'm now in full mode training. It's been a bit intense starting the year with the training, but I'm very excited for Tokyo.
Meb Keflezighi: And as you should, and you're going to be very proud come March 2nd after Tokyo, because I still get the pressure. Well man, we got your beat. We haven't done the Abbott World Major marathons yet, so you're going to be okay after that. But can you tell us about your memorable moments from your 27 marathon journey, that still makes you smile and motivates you today?
Annabella Espina: So out of my 27 marathons, I've done TCS New York City Marathon 12 times since 2013, because in 2012 we were not able to do it, because it was canceled. And then when COVID hit, I did do it, but virtually. So I think my proudest moment is to be almost a streaker on the New York City Marathon, because it is definitely my favorite marathon. I know this conversation is more about Tokyo, but I think that running New York City Marathon every year, and especially being able to fundraise with Team for Kids for that marathon, it doesn't matter if I have a spot, a lottery, I always up fundraising with Team for Kids, just because that's what gives purpose to my running. And it makes me smile to know that with my running, I am helping kids become athletes, or better people, and just make them grow personally.
Meb Keflezighi: Well, we're grateful for all the great work that you're doing for Team for Kids, but you've been doing that for over a decade. What advice would you give to the new people who are looking into fundraising, or mentoring for Team for Kids?
Annabella Espina: I think the first advice is to be open and friendly. This is an amazing community map. I think you've seen it over the past few years, being our ambassador for Team for Kids. It is an amazing adult group. Yes, we fundraise for kids, but yes, it is the best community I've ever seen and been a part of. I'm not in New York anymore. I spent 10 years in New York, and I'm in Miami now, and it's still my family. My best friends are from Team for Kids. So I think when you decide to join Team for Kids, fundraise for Team for Kids, you become part of a community, and you get all the support you need for the fundraising piece. You get webinars, you get mentors. Also mentoring, I've been mentoring with Team for Kids since I think 2014, so it's been over 10 years as well, I've been a mentor. And it's just such a feeling of satisfaction, being able to help, not just the kids, but the other adult runners who are maybe struggling with their first marathon, or their first fundraising event. And I don't know. I think that whoever is thinking of joining Team for Kids to fundraise for a race doesn't have to be a marathon, just do it. You will not regret it, because it is really a great community that you'll want to be a part of.
Meb Keflezighi: It is a wonderful community, Annabel. I've been very fortunate to be an ambassador for Team for kids. And the last night that we do before the TCS New York City Marathon, people have even asked me, " Come to dinner with us." They're so inviting. And I went to that, and had some great time, whether the first time or the fourth time. And (inaudible) that just Team for Kids inspires so many people. But what do you say to somebody who's starting their running in their thirties? What advice would you give to adults, and who think it is too late to start running?
Annabella Espina: It's never too late. I can tell you. I started running in my thirties. Before that, I would not even run to catch the bus, not do anything. And one day I said, " Let's sign up for a 5K." And I started from zero, like run, walking. It doesn't matter. As long as you move forward, you're fine.
Meb Keflezighi: That's it.
Annabella Espina: If you have to walk a little, that's fine. And also, I have to say, Matt, that during all these years, mentoring and running with Team for Kids and training with them, I have seen people not in their thirties starting to run. I've seen people in their sixties running their first marathon, I think even almost seventies. So it's never too late to, either if it's a dream of yours, a bucket list, something that you just got inspired with, something you've ever always wanted to do, it doesn't matter. It's never too late to start. And with Team for Kids, you always have that support of the training, especially if you're in New York, it's easier. But it's never too late to start, as long as you are committed and you have the motivation.
Meb Keflezighi: I definitely agree. It's never too late. And whether they're in the thirties, forties, fifties, or sixties, I always tell people to do one marathon in their lifetime. And if you get the bag, that's okay, but at least if you do it, you know you can overcome so many things, and you make friends along the way. So how do you balance the physical and mental challenges of a marathon training, especially when you're juggling multiple marathons a year?
Annabella Espina: So I'm not going to say it's easy. I think it requires a lot of commitment, and vision to the end goal. During a year, I run between two, three marathons,, and maybe I throw in a lot of other races, sometimes like an ultra marathon here, or a shorter race or a trail. And it's all about balance. So yes, I train. I'm not a fast runner, and I always try to get better, but I also incorporate a lot of mental well- being activities, such as yoga, stretching, at least once a week, just because my body is, I'm not 20 anymore. We have to add more and more of that. And also, to stay healthy with my running this year, so this training cycle, I wanted to turn it up a little bit on my health. And I started also strength training, and Pilates classes to do more core, because I realized that yes, running is great, but after you run all these years, all these marathons, you need to build a little bit better on the muscles. And I have to tell you that I've been in strength training for two months. Yesterday, I ran one of my 18 milers. Nothing hurt. Yes, of course I was tired, because it's 18 miles. You're always going to be tired, but no pain, no soreness. All day, I walked all day. This morning, I woke up, I went to the gym. It's been a big difference. So I think that you have to, yes, running, but also balance it with other types of cross- training, so that your body adjusts a little bit.
Meb Keflezighi: Great tips. I really believe now, the drills, or core exercise, or agility helps, especially as we age, to help you the posture up, and to run 18 miles and not be sore, because that's a lot of testament. As you prepare for Tokyo Marathon, Annabella, we want to wish you all the best as you earn your six stars. So happy and proud of you, and thanks for all you do for the sport, and for Team for Kids.
Annabella Espina: Thank you, Meb. I'm very happy to be here, and hope to see you soon.
Meb Keflezighi: Sounds great.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, thank you so much for joining us. Annabella, I'm so excited for you to get that sixth star. I hope to see you there at the finish line in Tokyo. Maybe I'll have a chance to put that medal around your neck. That would be amazing. Thanks for being a member of New York Road Runners. Now, to the final part of our show, today's Meb Minute.
Meb Keflezighi: Winter shoes. When training for a marathon in icy conditions, selecting the right shoes is crucial for both safety and performance. Look for a shoe with a good grip, or trail- specific traction to help prevent slipping. Some shoes are designed with water resistance upper, to keep your feet dry in snowy and slushy conditions. If you are running on ice, regularly consider adding a removable traction device, like Yaktrax or microspikes. Make sure your shoes are also well padded for comfort, as you will likely be running on harder uneven surface. The right footwear can make all the difference in preventing injuries, and staying on track with your training. It is very important to wear the right shoes, because you're going to be running on an even surface, and be able to just be comfort. And for me, when I was in Mammoth Lakes, California, I used the Yaktrax to help with the stability, so I'm not slipping away, and for ligament or muscle tears. So be careful. Make a wise decision.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right, gang, that does it for another episode of Set The Pace. We want to thank our great guests today, Harry Chandler and Annabella Espina. If you liked the episode, please go ahead, rate, subscribe, leave a comment or a question for me or for Becs in the comments, wherever you listen. Hope you have a great, great week of running. For those of you training for big Spring marathons, stay warm, stay safe and enjoy the miles. We'll see you next week.