Carrie Tollefson: Hey everybody. I'm Olympian Carrie Tollefson, a member of today's broadcast team for the Mastercard New York Mini 10K. And today we are giving you a special edition of the Set the Pace Podcast. We're going to rerun the Mastercard New York Mini 10K. And listen, today was awesome. We had on our wheelchair division a new winner. Yep. Susannah Scaroni is having her baby in August and today Tatyana McFadden won her first Mini 10K. She's won the New York City Marathon five times. She's won the NYC half three times and today now she cracked the tape and is the winner of the Mini. And then we have in our open field, Agnes Ngetich from Kenya. She set a course record, everybody. She ran the fastest time ever on US Soil for 10K, 30: 07. So we're going to catch up with her as well. And then our top American, Emily Venters having a phenomenal race in fourth place today. And I'm going to send it on over to the A team. That's what I'm calling them. Ali Feller from Ali On the Run and Aisha Praught- Leer from CITIUS MAG. They are going to be interviewing our winners and our top American today.
Ali Feller: Hello and welcome to Rerun the Mastercard New York Mini 10K with Set the Pace. Ali On the Run, that's me. CITIUS MAG, with our friend Aisha Praught- Leer here all presented by Peloton. Oh my gosh, best day.
Aisha Praught Leer: This is the best day. 10-
Ali Feller: This is-
Aisha Praught Leer: Okay, this is my first time-
Ali Feller: You made your debut today.
Aisha Praught Leer: ... at the Mini 10K. I made my debut at the 10K. Did I run the 10K? No.
Ali Feller: Same.
Aisha Praught Leer: But I made my debut in what might be the best day in New York ever. I mean, the marathon is great, but the Mini 10K? There were 10, 000 women running this race. It was the most joyful, the most playful, the most smiles, the best energy all around Central Park today.
Ali Feller: You are so in the running community in so many ways as a former professional athlete, as a podcast host, as someone who is friends with so many of the athletes, what did you know about the Mini heading into this weekend?
Aisha Praught Leer: As a professional, the Mini has a reputation that is everyone wants to do it. Everyone wants to show up at the Mini and it's a great time, but also everyone wants to win the Mini and everyone wants to go with their friends, smile at the start and then beat each other up once the gun goes off. So we definitely saw that today and it's really fun. You can feel the energy that everyone's spoken about for years.
Ali Feller: We are going to talk to some of our champions from today. We're going to talk to some of the incredible runners who have amazing and inspiring stories. But first, let's talk about your day. Where were you? What was your race plan for the day? And I want to know all of the sights and sounds as seen and heard from Aisha.
Aisha Praught Leer: I wanted to take this day like a typical runner would watching a race. So I was on foot. I left the hotel and I took the C train up to the start. It was so fun. The train was packed with women all with their bibs on. Everybody had their headphones. Everyone was excited. Glitter, hair clips, everything was happening. Get to the park and stood by the start. All the women were doing their final strides, warming up. And then I was running back and forth all over Central Park. I saw the women at 5K, saw them as I was coming back to the finish, was just running back and forth, wanting to see it all. So we really got to see the race unfold and I was also watching, of course, our friends in the booth, Carrie and Alicia calling the race on my phone. So I was wired in, but I was also live on foot. How was your day?
Ali Feller: Oh, so good. I was part of the broadcast team in honor and my job was going to the start line. Did a couple interviews at the start, a couple pre- tapes before the race started. Got to speak with Tatyana McFadden and last year's champion, Hellen Obiri, and hear about how they were both feeling. And then I was at the finish. And it's funny, I'm so used to working the marathon, for example, and being out there for like 12 hours. And so this race, you almost want to slow it down because it goes by so fast and there's so much to take in. Here's a note that I will say, cleanest porta- potties of the year.
Aisha Praught Leer: Unbelievable out there.
Ali Feller: Shout out to the 10,000 women just coming into this with the utmost respect. People are so polite. People are throwing their trash in trash cans. It is clear.
Aisha Praught Leer: No litter.
Ali Feller: Who run the world, girls. I mean, obviously.
Aisha Praught Leer: Yeah.
Ali Feller: So no, I mean, I love this race. I lived in New York City for over 10 years and I've run this race many times at many phases in my life and now it's really cool to see other women doing the same thing. I ran this race when I was pregnant with my daughter, who's now seven and a half. And I saw so many women out there today who were running pregnant. We saw women finishing with ... Had grabbed their babies from, I assume they were with someone on the sidelines.
Aisha Praught Leer: I don't think they ran.
Ali Feller: Yeah, I don't think so nor were they alone on the sidelines. They just picked up a baby. But we saw women finishing with their babies or their kids. We saw people just ... It's really cool. This race has such an incredible history, which we've talked about at length today, but it's amazing to see how it's grown. I also love seeing the Crazy Legs runners. There was a woman at the start who on the back of her shirt said, 45th Mini.
Aisha Praught Leer: Unreal.
Ali Feller: That's amazing.
Aisha Praught Leer: It is amazing. It goes to show how big of a pillar this race is in the women's running community in New York when you have people that are coming out for decades to be part of this race.
Ali Feller: I know it's so super boring to talk about the weather, but we do have to acknowledge. I mean, it was hot out there today.
Aisha Praught Leer: It was hot.
Ali Feller: I was standing at the finish line and I was warm. And so the heat, how did it feel to you? You were also running around.
Aisha Praught Leer: It was very pleasant if you were just out for a nice walk, but these women were not out for a nice walk. They were out for a hilly 10K pushing themselves. And even just running back and forth, I think I got in three miles cheering on the runners. I was very sweaty and I could feel that this would be very challenging once you get on the west side and you're hitting those roller hills coming to into the finish, I think it would be an obstacle that all the runners had to face. But they faced it together and it really is so fun to watch. We see so much camaraderie on this day. I would love to hear what did you see as far as trends go? I think that's fun to talk about. A lot of matching sets. A lot of glitter.
Ali Feller: A lot of matching sets. A lot of glitter. The star hair clips.
Aisha Praught Leer: Yes.
Ali Feller: So cute.
Aisha Praught Leer: So cute. What I loved was also groups of friends in matching outfits. Like not only were their sets matching, but they were matching their friends. They had a whole theme going. It looked very fun. Lots of women carrying speakers so that everybody had a party around them. I wanted to be in those groups, especially with the star clips.
Ali Feller: What would you have been playing if I were running near you and you had a speaker, what's coming out of that boombox?
Aisha Praught Leer: All female singers. We're going to have obviously Beyonce. We're going to have some Olivia Dean. We're going to throw in your girl Taylor.
Ali Feller: Thank you.
Aisha Praught Leer: Everybody's going to be there. It's maybe some Olivia Rodrigo, the new songs. Everything's going to come out. We're going to feel good. We're going to build toward the end so we're dancing at the finish line.
Ali Feller: Love it. Well, congratulations, of course, to all 10,000 plus runners. This was the first year in this race's very, very long and storied history that we had more than 10, 000 athletes complete this race. So huge deal, so much to celebrate. Congratulations to all of the runners. And of course, biggest thank you to everyone who makes this race happen, the New York Roadrunners team, staff, volunteers, medical personnel. It takes more than a village to pull off a race of this, not just this size but with a reputation like this one has. And so biggest thanks to everyone who made it possible and we're going to recap all of it today. We're here with birthday girl and top American from the Mini 10K, Emily Venters.
Emily Venters: Yeah. I'm excited to be here with you guys too.
Ali Feller: Congratulations. Happy birthday. Also, did you get a PR for your birthday?
Emily Venters: I did get a PR for my birthday. Yeah.
Ali Feller: Is that the best gift ever?
Emily Venters: It is. Yeah. I woke up and my boyfriend was here with me and he's like, " Happy birthday." And I was like, " Oh yeah, I guess it is my birthday." I've never had a race on my birthday, so it's fun. But yeah, a PR and a great race is always a good birthday gift.
Ali Feller: The grind never stops.
Emily Venters: Yeah, I guess it doesn't.
Ali Feller: How were you feeling heading into today's race? I want to hear about race planned. Other than needing to be told and reminded that it was your birthday, when you woke up this morning, how was your confidence? Let's break it down.
Emily Venters: I just went into this race honestly with no expectations. I just switched coaches about a month ago, maybe a little bit more and my training has changed quite a bit, but I've been feeling good, but I think just anytime you kind of make a transition, you just don't know where you're at exactly. But yeah, I've been feeling a lot fresher just in workouts and just overall. So I was like, I feel like I could have a good race. I just don't know. So yeah, I didn't wear a watch or anything. I just like, I'm going to run off feel and that's what I did.
Ali Feller: That's amazing. It must be sort of freeing to go in without expectation and-
Emily Venters: It is.
Ali Feller: ... just see how you feel in the day.
Emily Venters: Yeah. That's my favorite place to be in before a race is like, we're just going to see what happens. And that's the fun part is like you get to race and you don't know what's going to happen. So yeah, just going off of feeling. Yeah.
Ali Feller: Whose idea was it not to wear a watch? Yours, your coaches?
Emily Venters: Mine.
Ali Feller: Okay. Why?
Emily Venters: Yeah. I am someone who really doesn't like to see splits. Even during workouts, I turn my vibration off on my watch and the chime. Like I don't look at the pace ever. And then even the clocks on the side of the course, I just don't look at either because I don't know if something in me just doesn't want to see it. I just want to go by feel. And if it's fast, then it might freak me out or if I'm slow. Either way, it's just like, this is a race and it doesn't matter. You're going to finish at whatever time you finish at. So might as well just run and not think about the time.
Aisha Praught Leer: Do you think that gave you an advantage today with the heat so that you're really tuned into your body and not external?
Emily Venters: Yeah, probably. I mean, I've done it in a couple of races, but sometimes people like to just get the data in their splits, but it doesn't really matter.
Ali Feller: Can we talk about the coaching change? Like you said about a month ago, so for a long time you were coached by Ed Eyestone, you're now with David Roach.
Emily Venters: Yes.
Ali Feller: Let's hear about the change and what that's looked like.
Emily Venters: Yeah. So I think I'm just someone who actually does really well when they train alone, just kind of stay in my lane. I don't compare as much. Obviously I love running with people on easy runs and everything and still meeting up with people. But I think when it comes to workouts, I just want a little bit more specificity and individualization in my training. And so yeah, David has provided me with that and I also just like his approach to training. He's just super big on your life is so much more than running and that means a lot to me as someone who can sometimes get consumed by it. And as we know, if you get consumed by it and then you kind of like are in a low with racing, you're going to get depressed. So he just has seen me as a whole person and it's just super encouraging and supportive. And so yeah, I'm really, really grateful for him.
Aisha Praught Leer: I'm sure a lot of the other 10,000 women that were in the field today can learn a lot from that approach. Is that something that you've learned over time or is that an approach you've always taken to the sport?
Emily Venters: Yeah, definitely learned over time. I mean, it comes and goes in waves when I do better with it and then I do worse with it. But yeah, that's what I'm trying to do again is just focus on me as a whole person and just do the workouts, do everything I need to do, but it doesn't consume me and I'm not like Emily the runner. I'm Emily the person first. And so I think I just like that reminder constantly and I think it helps breed success.
Ali Feller: So going into today's race, was there a race plan now that you are racing, was this your first race with David as your coach.
Emily Venters: Yes.
Ali Feller: Okay. So that's a whole new approach then.
Emily Venters: Yeah.
Ali Feller: What does a pre- race pep talk or conversation with him look like and what were you hoping to do today?
Emily Venters: I think the only goal in my head was like I just wanted to break 32 kind of, but obviously the race is the race and whatever happens, happens. And his approach to me was like, " You know what? We're going to celebrate no matter what happens. If it's a good race or a bad race and we just need to learn how to accept every race and grow from it." Because he's like, " I'm going to celebrate your bad races more than your good races because that's where we gain the most growth from." And so yeah, I think just going into it like win or lose, we're going to get something out of it and that's obviously a really good place to be as well. And then his other advice was draft like hell for the first four miles. So find someone and just sit behind them and then after that you can go. So I did that. Yeah. And I sat behind Edna for four miles and then we took a left on the west side and I passed her on the uphill. So I listened.
Ali Feller: Very good. A great fit.
Aisha Praught Leer: You listened to me and you loved it.
Ali Feller: A great student. So not only were you top American, but you were also fourth in an extremely illustrious field.
Emily Venters: Yeah, I had no idea.
Ali Feller: You had no idea?
Aisha Praught Leer: You had no idea you just said?
Emily Venters: Oh, no. No I (inaudible) .
Aisha Praught Leer: (inaudible) .
Ali Feller: (inaudible) look at the field. Like you didn't look at the field or you didn't know you were fourth place?
Emily Venters: I didn't know I was fourth place.
Ali Feller: You're kidding.
Emily Venters: No.
Ali Feller: Oh my goodness. You were fourth place.
Emily Venters: Yeah. Yeah. I didn't know that.
Ali Feller: Happy birthday.
Aisha Praught Leer: You know now.
Ali Feller: When did you find out that you were fourth?
Emily Venters: After I crossed the finish and I think Carrie had said to me like, " Yeah, you're fourth overall." And I was like, " Overall fourth?" I heard first American and in my head I was like, I'd passed Waney and then Edna and so I thought maybe I was first American, but yeah, fourth overall, I was like, " Whoa, okay, that's crazy in this field," but it's cool. It felt like a big breakthrough.
Ali Feller: So before we sat down to chat in an official capacity, Aisha said, " Oh, Emily Venters, this was a breakout race for her."
Emily Venters: Yeah.
Ali Feller: Would you agree with that?
Emily Venters: Yeah, I would agree with that.
Ali Feller: Love that.
Emily Venters: Yeah.
Ali Feller: Okay. So how do you now, I mean, it's already been a great day, but how are you spending the rest of your birthday?
Emily Venters: I'm actually flying back to Utah pretty soon.
Ali Feller: Awesome. I hope you have a good seat.
Emily Venters: But we're going to do a little staycation when we get back. So that's what I wanted to do. Yeah.
Aisha Praught Leer: Very fun. Well, congratulations.
Emily Venters: Thank you, guys.
Ali Feller: Yeah. Amazing race. Happy birthday. PR. So much to celebrate. Emily Venters, thank you so much for sitting down and chatting with us.
Emily Venters: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Peloton has got something for whatever running mood you're in. Try instructor lead runs and walks that are built to fit into your routine with classes that help you stay consistent, build speed and be in the moment. Track your metrics, see your progress and train smarter. We've got it all to help you reach your goals and stay on track. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner of New York Road Runners.
Ali Feller: We are joined by Tatyana McFadden and Tatyana, we're going to keep this quick just like your race today because you are racing again tomorrow.
Tatyana McFadden: Yes. I decided to do the Chicago Half.
Ali Feller: Just casual.
Tatyana McFadden: If I was going to do it, it's going to be this year. Right.
Ali Feller: Casual. Well, huge deal. Congratulations.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you.
Ali Feller: You are the first new champion of the Mini 10K in the women's wheelchair division.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you.
Ali Feller: That's huge. It was a great day. How are you feeling? How are you recapping the day?
Tatyana McFadden: Yeah, I'm really excited. First of all, it's on all women's race. So shout out to all the women who race today and it was a good PR for me today. So I'm really happy about that, especially coming off as we discussed earlier, a track like 10 days ago. So this has been quite a quick turnaround to do something a little bit longer than a hundred meter and a 400 meters. So it was a good day.
Aisha Praught Leer: It seems like you're challenging yourself in not only distance but back to back racing. Is this a year of experimentation for you?
Tatyana McFadden: It is. It's a year of experimentation all for leading up for LA28 to kind of pick what I'm going to do and pick and choose. Schedule already came out and it's a pretty busy, hectic schedule. So this is a good time to kind of practice to see what you're going to be good at, what your weaknesses are. But it's a great place to practice in New York City.
Ali Feller: All right. I know we talked about this at the finish line, and this is our third interview of the day, Tatyana.
Tatyana McFadden: I love it.
Ali Feller: We've gotten to hang out so much.
Tatyana McFadden: (inaudible) .
Ali Feller: I love this.
Tatyana McFadden: We should do it more.
Ali Feller: I know. We match, we've got our pink. I love it. So I want to hear again the sights and sounds of the 2026 Mini 10K from your vantage point.
Tatyana McFadden: Yes. There was lots of cheering people running along the course, of all the women. It was just excited. People were really, really excited. Lots of cheering and it's crowded and it's busy, which is a good sign. We've had a lot more runners than we did last year. It's just such a great community and it's good to see more and more women out and just people out and cheering and kind of getting to know either the runners or just enjoying and maybe they'll run it next year.
Aisha Praught Leer: You are part of the fabric of New York Road Running.
Tatyana McFadden: Oh, thank you.
Aisha Praught Leer: How does it feel to be back on top of the podium?
Tatyana McFadden: It feels really good. It's been a really quite a great year so far with Boston and New York and then two world records at the Grand Prix. But New York Road Runners is like family. I've been with them for so long, since 2011 and it's just such a great, genuine partnership and I really feel like they listen to the feedback of the athlete and really just make it so wonderful and they really make it so great.
Ali Feller: You're fine. What are some key takeaways from today when you look back? Well, you know what? My first question is, do you remember all your wins? Like do you have any idea how many races you've won at this point in your career? Do you keep a spreadsheet?
Tatyana McFadden: I don't keep a spreadsheet.
Ali Feller: You should.
Tatyana McFadden: I should. I should, right?
Ali Feller: Someone make sure a spreadsheet.
Tatyana McFadden: I should. Yes, I should. Yeah. Winning is absolutely just so wonderful, but it's just amazing of what my body can do and how I can push the times to be even faster working with technology, working with New York Roadrunners and just really how to expand the sport overall. I think winning just sort of just comes along with that journey as I'm just continuing to train and pushing the limits. As my coach said, it was just like, it'll happen as a package. You don't need to count anything, Tatyana. You just do it.
Aisha Praught Leer: That's beautiful.
Tatyana McFadden: Yeah.
Ali Feller: What are you most excited by, motivated by? I mean, you mentioned obviously there's a big part of your brain that is the LA 2028 piece of your brain, but what are you most excited about or motivated by right now?
Tatyana McFadden: I think I'm really excited and motivated by just how well my season has started out. It's on my list to win another major marathon and then of course to take home as many medals I can in the LA28 games. And it's just a great time in wheelchair racing right now with the new women who've come on, stepped on and really pushed the limits and really pushed the boundaries because they're making it really fast and exciting. And then I have to go home and be like, " All right, let me do my homework and figure out how I can be a little bit faster and a little bit better for this next race."
Aisha Praught Leer: You are a true pioneer.
Tatyana McFadden: Oh, thank you.
Aisha Praught Leer: I mean, I've been watching your career since you started in 2011 and it's got to feel almost purpose driven to know that you're the one that's raised the bar for a lot of women and paved the way. Is that something that you think about as your legacy that you'll be leaving?
Tatyana McFadden: Well, I appreciate you saying that. Thank you. I just feel like it's just a bunch of women who really have paved the way. The women before me, the women currently, but I'm one of many voices and I just really love being that voice and I'm honored that people want to listen and they follow and they cheer me on and so that's really exciting is that people are listening.
Ali Feller: This race this year was bigger than it's ever been. We had more than 10,000 athletes finish this race today, which I love because 10K for a 10K, that's very-
Tatyana McFadden: Oh, cute.
Ali Feller: Yes. It's really great.
Aisha Praught Leer: Yes.
Ali Feller: What is something that you maybe wish people better understood about the wheelchair division in these races? What aren't people seeing or fully understanding?
Tatyana McFadden: Yeah, I wish that what people understood is that it's like carrying around like an 18 or 20 pound weight on your waist and that's what we have to carry up and down and it's just with only our arms and upper body, which is a sort of a smaller group of muscles compared to your thighs and your legs. So we really have to train and take care of our shoulders and our elbows and our wrists. And so we have to play around with different types of styles and of training just so we don't either fatigue or tear a muscle like in our elbow or in our shoulder, which could be easily be done by the weight of the chair and how extreme the terrain could be as well.
Ali Feller: I appreciate you sharing that.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you.
Ali Feller: And we appreciate you, Tatyana.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you.
Ali Feller: No race is complete without having you in the field.
Tatyana McFadden: So sweet.
Ali Feller: And so you know you're never allowed to stop racing. Like you're a household name.
Tatyana McFadden: Never, never, never.
Aisha Praught Leer: You're a (inaudible) .
Ali Feller: Yeah.
Tatyana McFadden: I'll be 90 out there.
Ali Feller: Perfect. That would be great.
Tatyana McFadden: Yes.
Ali Feller: And we'll probably be using slightly different software to do this.
Tatyana McFadden: Perfect.
Ali Feller: Whatever is there at the time.
Tatyana McFadden: Perfect.
Ali Feller: But truly your impact on this sport is unparalleled and incredible.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you.
Ali Feller: So thank you for all that you do.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you.
Ali Feller: Thank you for hanging out with us here today and safe travels and good luck tomorrow.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you. Thank you.
Aisha Praught Leer: Good luck tomorrow.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you. Until next time. Thank you.
Ali Feller: Thanks, Tatyana.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you so much.
Aisha Praught Leer: Congratulations.
Tatyana McFadden: Thank you.
Aisha Praught Leer: So sorry. We are here with Mini 10K winner course record holder, event record holder, world record holder Agnes Ngetich. Welcome. Congratulations.
Agnes Ngetich: Thank you so much.
Aisha Praught Leer: Heck of a bio. Congratulations. You've had what, like an hour to recover from the race. So we'll get into all of how it all went down, but right now, how are you feeling?
Agnes Ngetich: I'm still so excited. So I mean, I want to do this and this again and again. So I'm not even tired. I mean, so I'm so excited.
Aisha Praught Leer: All right. So Dorian sounds like she is in for next year. Sounds like we will have a defending champion for 2027. Sign her up. Sign her up. So Agnes, was this a bit of revenge from your last time out in New York? Maybe a little bit different weather. How motivated were you today to come out and win?
Agnes Ngetich: I could say from the last year, not even last year, couple of months from half marathon, it was cold. I suffered. I almost gave up, but I was motivated with the managers and coaches and I'm so privileged to be invited this second time for Mini 10K. I mean, having this big race from 70 finishers to 1, 000 finishers and from ladies not allowed to use card to Mastercard supporting, I mean, thank you so much.
Aisha Praught Leer: I'm just stunned. The ability for like you're trailblazing, you're setting records everywhere you go, you're paying homage to the women that came before you. Is New York now your favorite place to race?
Agnes Ngetich: Now it's my favorite race already.
Ali Feller: Favorite race? You're all through-
Agnes Ngetich: Yes.
Ali Feller: Like more than Valencia where you ran a world record, this is the one?
Agnes Ngetich: The second favorite.
Ali Feller: Okay. What made it, I mean, of course you had the comeback story after running the half that wasn't the best day. What else is it about today that made this your favorite race?
Agnes Ngetich: I really loved crowd. Every corner I was like, " Go go Agnes, go Agnes." I was so motivated even though I was alone in front and with this group of cheerers everywhere, go, go Agnes. I mean, it was so fun. I really enjoyed the race and then I was like, I could go until 21K to finish the last 21K for last month. So it was so fun.
Ali Feller: So make it longer.
Agnes Ngetich: Yeah.
Ali Feller: Make it longer.
Agnes Ngetich: (inaudible) .
Aisha Praught Leer: Have you heard about the TCS New York City Marathon? That one's a little longer. We'll get you back for that one.
Agnes Ngetich: I hope I will run one day, New York City and I will. Yeah.
Ali Feller: Okay. You heard it here, friends. You went out hot today. Your first mile was a 4: 47. What was the race plan?
Agnes Ngetich: I was to push from four kilometers or five kilometers. I didn't expect to push from 800 meters. I was like almost one kilometers to push, but I wanted to enjoy the race and you know racing with this competitive women will be (inaudible) the elite athletes amazing and everyone was strong. So I was like, I will go in front and see who will follow and we will push together, you see? And I push and no one came and I was like, let me just keep on going and enjoy the race, have fun. And yeah.
Aisha Praught Leer: Once you realized you were solo, what was pushing you toward the finish? What was the motivation behind running so fast?
Agnes Ngetich: Still the ground because every corner was like Agnes, go, Agnes, go, Agnes, go. I could not even like bored in the race. I really enjoyed every mile, every kilometer. So yeah, it was so fun.
Ali Feller: That course record and event record that you ran today, was that because you were having so much fun out there or was that something you were focused on? Did you know the course record going into this race?
Agnes Ngetich: First, it's my debut here. I've never run in the course so I didn't know I will go with the course record, but I realized when I was crossing five kilometers and I checked the watch and on the car in front and I saw I could run under 30: 10 and I was like, let me try and we see because I was alone in front and I was like, let me push and see what's going to be here.
Aisha Praught Leer: When you're coming down, when you're coming toward the finish, could you feel ... I mean, this is a hard course. This is not Valencia. This is a tough-
Agnes Ngetich: It's so hard. I mean, from five kilometers in fact, but the first five kilometer was not that hilly, but the last one had goes better. I'm someone who loved cross country since, so I'm used to this climbing and going down. So yeah.
Aisha Praught Leer: You're the perfect runner for New York City.
Agnes Ngetich: Thank you. Thank you so much.
Aisha Praught Leer: Hopefully we see you back here year after year. But again, Agnes, congratulations. Excellent day.
Agnes Ngetich: Thank you so much. Thank you so much.
Aisha Praught Leer: Thanks for being here with us.
Agnes Ngetich: Thank you.
Aisha Praught Leer: Congratulations.
Agnes Ngetich: Thank you.
Ali Feller: All right. We are sitting down with Shira Stein. Shira's someone who never really saw herself as an athlete, but then at 40 years old facing a breast cancer diagnosis and a double mastectomy, your relationship with your body totally changed and running became how Shira took care of her health. It's how she rediscovered her own strength. And last spring, she crossed the finish line of her first half marathon feeling understandably like a superhero. Last month she ran the RBC Brooklyn Half and today ran her very first Mastercard New York Mini 10K and your daughter was out there cheering you on, your 12 year old. Was she there, no?
Shira Stein: She was sleeping.
Ali Feller: She slept? No.
Aisha Praught Leer: Pathetic.
Ali Feller: But you were there.
Shira Stein: Very much.
Ali Feller: Were you again today feeling like a superhero?
Shira Stein: Yeah. I had a moment in the corral. It's really emotional that I'm able to do this and I get to do this and I'm making the choice to do it and I'm doing it for myself and it's really powerful and surrounded by women in the Mastercard New York Mini 10K. And I had no idea when I signed up for a race the magnitude of historical significance and it hit me and I'm so glad I was here.
Ali Feller: We're so glad you're here too.
Aisha Praught Leer: We're so glad you're here.
Shira Stein: Thank you.
Ali Feller: Can you describe when you were standing in the starting corrals and you looked around at a sea of ... I mean, it's as far as your eye can see in every direction, it's 10,000 women running this race. What did you see? What did you feel when you were getting ready to start this race?
Shira Stein: Women being empowered and not letting anything stop them and doing it for themselves maybe and not because they should, but hopefully because they're enjoying it and it brings meaning and balance.
Ali Feller: That shift that we mentioned of going through this very scary diagnosis at a very young age and that completely rocks your world. That shift of going from I'm not an athlete or I'm not a runner or whatever, things we tell ourselves. When did that change? Was there one morning that you said I'm going to try running or this is what I want to do now? When did that happen and why?
Shira Stein: It wasn't an overnight thing. So I was diagnosed in August of 2021 and I only picked up running a year ago-
Aisha Praught Leer: Wow.
Shira Stein: ... in April of 2025. I guess it was a beautiful morning and since moving to New York City, I've always been so moved by the New York City Marathon and I've enjoyed watching it and cheering everyone on. And so I woke up that morning and I lived near a park because we've got great parks here in the city and I was curious and I took a run and I fell in love.
Ali Feller: Wait, on that first one?
Shira Stein: Yeah.
Ali Feller: The first time I went for a run, I ran for 38 seconds, keeled over and thought that was it for me. So I love that you had the literal exact opposite experience.
Shira Stein: Yeah.
Ali Feller: Shira, you're a runner.
Shira Stein: Yeah, right?
Ali Feller: You're a runner, you're a racer, you're a New Yorker, you're doing so much. What are some key takeaways from today?
Shira Stein: Please follow all medical guidelines for breast cancer screening. Very important. And if you're curious about running, do it.
Ali Feller: I'll change your life.
Shira Stein: Yeah.
Ali Feller: Unbelievably inspired by you. Congratulations on a great day and thank you for spending time with us.
Shira Stein: Oh, thank you for having me.
Aisha Praught Leer: Thank you so much. Congratulations.
Shira Stein: I appreciate it. Thank you.
Aisha Praught Leer: Reminding myself of going through all ... Oh, sorry. Danielle Todman is an Air Force veteran, a domestic violence survivor and the head cross country and track and field coach at Kean University. After Danielle escaped an abusive relationship, she found healing in a community of women runners. Now she shares her story in hopes that she can help other women recognize the warning signs she once missed. Today, Danielle ran her first ever Mastercard New York Mini 10K while celebrating her 20th anniversary of joining the Air Force. Congratulations. How does it feel?
Danielle Todman: Oh, it's an unreal experience. So this is my first 10K. I didn't really know what to expect, so I'd just been training since March for it. And when I got here today, the atmosphere was unreal. And then you see the wave of runners as you're walking up to the start and I'm like, " Well," but then you just see ... It was just a feeling. I can't describe it that you know you were just in the right place and it was just supportive. You had women literally cheering you on as you were running next to each other. You had people playing music and like I was telling somebody that they were playing Destiny Child's Survivor the last mile.
Ali Feller: Come on.
Aisha Praught Leer: That'll do it.
Ali Feller: Yeah.
Danielle Todman: So then you just see a burst of energy just go into the last mile. So it was really fun today.
Ali Feller: Is it correct this was your first women's only race?
Danielle Todman: Yes, my first women's only race, my first 10K ever. So it was a good day.
Ali Feller: Don't you always want to do women only races now?
Danielle Todman: Yeah, it was really different-
Ali Feller: Right?
Danielle Todman: ... because it was just cheering and everybody was just, it was community. So it was really good to be around people that were also overcoming something, accomplishing something, helping somebody accomplish something. So it was a cool day.
Aisha Praught Leer: I love the idea that everybody out there is running for a purpose and running for a reason and everyone has their own story. Could you feel that collectively when you were out there-
Danielle Todman: Oh, yeah.
Aisha Praught Leer: ... in the pack?
Danielle Todman: Yeah, for sure. Absolutely. People were like, " Come with me, come with me. Don't stop." And I was just watching that. So then there was a group of us that actually kind of finished together from the start to the finish. So we were trying to just make sure that we were staying hydrated and everything like that.
Ali Feller: Did you know each other?
Danielle Todman: Absolutely not.
Ali Feller: But you do now?
Danielle Todman: Yeah.
Ali Feller: Is there a group chat?
Danielle Todman: Well, we're creating one. So I just got everybody's IG, so we're cool. Yeah.
Ali Feller: Oh my gosh. This is what it's all about.
Danielle Todman: Yeah.
Ali Feller: So you are also a coach.
Danielle Todman: Yes, ma'am.
Ali Feller: What does that look like when you are running a race? Does your coach brain switch on to yourself or are you very just gentle, kind, motivating to yourself?
Danielle Todman: I don't know if I'm gentle, kind, but for me, I just tried to apply and show my athletes that I do understand and I do the same thing, try to lead by example. So it was surprising to me because my athlete actually surprised me at the finish line. Yeah, I burst in tears. I lost it.
Ali Feller: I'm going to.
Danielle Todman: So she was like, " Coach." And I looked and I looked again and she was standing there.
Aisha Praught Leer: It's such a great example to practice what you preach and you're out there doing something hard and to turn and see someone that you're guiding and you're mentoring through this, that must be such a full circle moment.
Danielle Todman: It was. I just did not think anybody was going to come, but she showed up and I was like, " Wow," because she's like, " I'm so proud of you, coach." And I was like, " I'm going to lose it. " And I did. So it was cool. So yeah.
Ali Feller: Well, that's obviously a testament to who you are as a person, as a coach, and as a mentor figure for these athletes, which is pretty incredible. What's the key takeaway from today? What do you think you'll remember most from the 2026 Mini 10K?
Danielle Todman: There's a lot of moments. I just think that strength collectively is the key takeaway. If you think you're alone, you're not. There are people that literally are going to help you and make sure you finish. That's the key takeaway. So if anybody's thinking about doing a race, in particular woman, do this 10K next year.
Ali Feller: Add us to the group chat.
Aisha Praught Leer: We want in.
Ali Feller: We didn't run the race, but we are here for the hype and so we'd love to be considered.
Danielle Todman: Okay.
Ali Feller: This is our application. You're amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us and for being such a light in this world and doing so much for the people around you. It's awesome to have you as part of this community.
Danielle Todman: Well, thank you. And I look forward to having ... coming back.
Aisha Praught Leer: Thanks, Danielle.
Danielle Todman: Thank you.
Ali Feller: Congratulations.
Aisha Praught Leer: Thank you so much.
Danielle Todman: Thank you.
Ali Feller: Yay. Thank you so much. All right. If you've ever thought, I don't have enough hours in the day, which same. We would love to introduce you to Kathleen London. Kathleen is a physician who picked up triathlons randomly in her 40s with zero experience while running a medical clinic full- time and she decided that a global pandemic was the perfect moment to start law school. In April 2025, Kathleen's own medical instincts kicked in when she caught a brain tumor that sent her straight into surgery. Six weeks later, she was on the run. Months after that, she recognized some of the same symptoms that she'd experienced in her son. She pushed him to go to the hospital and she saved his life. Today they are both brain tumor survivors and today Kathleen ran the Mini 10K. You're amazing.
Aisha Praught Leer: You're a superhero.
Ali Feller: Do enough people tell you that every day?
Kathleen London: No, but thank you.
Ali Feller: Because we will. We'll tell you that every day. You're incredible. How was your race today? Let's start there.
Kathleen London: It was crowded. It was hot and it was fun.
Ali Feller: Perfect summary.
Kathleen London: I was a minute per mile slower than I intended-
Ali Feller: Fine.
Kathleen London: ... but I had such a good time. It was clear that it was crowded enough, but the energy was like you had asked someone else what it was like to look. As I was running and I could see down Central Park West and I'm like, " This is so empowering." It's funny because I don't want to do all women only races. I want to do this one. There's something about the Mastercard New York Mini 10K that is just ... I don't know how to describe it. To see all these women who are strong, who are out there and cheering each other on is just, it's amazing.
Aisha Praught Leer: It's iconic. I mean, it's one of those races that you look at and I've always admired from afar, but when you're here and you feel it's totally different than any other race I've ever been to.
Ali Feller: So there were 10,000 athletes out there competing and-
Kathleen London: Oh, I felt that.
Ali Feller: ... completing this race today. Yeah. You felt all 10,000.
Kathleen London: There was no room to go. I was like-
Ali Feller: It was packed.
Kathleen London: ... okay. It was early on I'm like, "Okay, forget PRing and it's okay."
Ali Feller: Just take it all in.
Kathleen London: It's a race for energy, right? I'm training for two marathons right now, fundraising for brain tumor research. And so this was just a check- in a sense and for the fun of it.
Ali Feller: There's always the fun of it. Yeah.
Kathleen London: Yeah.
Ali Feller: Your story is so incredible and it's almost unbelievable for you to go through something so serious and then within months, your son has the same experience.
Kathleen London: His was worse. His was twice the size of mine and in a much more difficult to get to area. And so mine was frontal lobe and a meningioma. He had a schwannoma, which the good news of those is they don't recur, but much larger area to the point where they couldn't get it all and he needed radiation as well as surgery. Watching your child go through it is horrific. As bad as it is to go through it myself, I'm looking back, it's 13 months. A year ago, I just started running again, literally. I went six weeks post- op to India for my ... that son's wedding and while in India, went on my first walk run and now I'm racing and I'm doing it because I can. It's such a privilege and I feel that every time I go out and run.
Aisha Praught Leer: When you look back on that journey specifically bringing your body back to where it is today, was that something that gave you strength? Was that intimidating or was it more something that you walked out the door and could maybe feel at home?
Kathleen London: It was one of those things where ... So I ran and I stopped running about in 2017- ish and I knew at that post- op, at that wedding that I need to run marathons again. I have to raise money for research. And then when Noah got diagnosed, that cemented it, that I'm meant to do this. And here's the cool thing because I started running late. I'm getting faster.
Aisha Praught Leer: Faster.
Ali Feller: Yes.
Kathleen London: So I'm an old lady, but I'm getting faster.
Ali Feller: Faster as master.
Aisha Praught Leer: Faster as master. Yes. Is there a message that you would share? I think we so often when someone has been through something challenging in life, we ask, what is your message for other survivors? What is your message for people going through something similar? I'd love to know what is your message for the parents out there and for the people who are navigating something hard that feels very much out of their control that a loved one is going through. Is there caretaking advice you'd offer?
Kathleen London: Listen to them, just being there. Like having my own family around me when I went through it and then knowing how important that was for me, just being in the room. There was a period of time post- op that he had to be sedated and intubated and so on a breathing tube and so just being there. And that is so much of what people need. We get energy from each other. I mean, that's what you feel today, right? We get that energy from each other and that's so healing. And you have control over what you can do, right? So I can go running even when I don't feel like it. And that is what gives me the strength.
Ali Feller: Can we go back to the training for two marathons piece?
Aisha Praught Leer: Circle back to that.
Ali Feller: Yeah. Just real quick. Tell us about what you're training for and why.
Kathleen London: I'm training for Sydney. It's on my birthday this year.
Aisha Praught Leer: A course I love.
Kathleen London: So of course I had to go into the lottery and I got in. And so that son-
Aisha Praught Leer: That's perfect.
Kathleen London: ... my son Noah and his wife are going to come with me. I'm running it for us. And then Chicago, I'm running for the American Brain Tumor Association because though they say that his and my tumors were unrelated, I say it's a gene we don't know yet. And I've run into so many other families who had the same thing of somebody else in the family having a brain tumor that I'm like, the research has to happen. And so I'm raising money for brain tumor research.
Aisha Praught Leer: Kathleen, you are an absolute superhero. Thank you for spending time with us today and congratulations on a great day.
Kathleen London: Thank you so much for having me.
Ali Feller: Celebrate everything. You're amazing. Thank you so much and of course sending love to Noah as well.
Kathleen London: Thanks.
Ali Feller: Thank you.
Aisha Praught Leer: That's it for this special Rerun the Mastercard New York Mini 10K live episode.
Ali Feller: No, I don't want it to be it.
Aisha Praught Leer: We don't want it to be over. We don't want it to be over. Thanks for joining this episode of Set the Pace with Ali on the Run and CITIUS. Thank you to all of our guests and to New York Roadrunners for this amazing day. Cheers.
Ali Feller: Congratulations runners.