Rob Simmelkjaer: There is a big new thing for the RBC Brooklyn Half this year, which is the location of the expo, formerly known as the pre- party.
Ted Metellus: Well, we took all of that, the energy and the vibe and that uniqueness and venue and space and moved it to a new spot.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hey everybody, and welcome to Set the Pace, the official podcast of New York Road Runners presented by Peloton. I'm your host, Rob Simmelkjaer, the CEO of New York Roadrunners, and with me my co- host Peloton instructor, Becs Gentry. Hello, Becs. How are you?
Becs Gentry: Hello. I'm good, thank you. How are you?
Rob Simmelkjaer: I'm good. It's nice to see you. I'm sorry we didn't get to see each other in Boston thanks to some flight issues you had.
Becs Gentry: I was so angry. I really was cursing my luck with the airplanes. After having said to Austin, " I really should just get the train. I don't know why I'm flying other than to maintain my status."
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, the lure of the airline status. I get it.
Becs Gentry: The lure of the airline status and paying for flights with points. Anyway, it wasn't the most fun because I didn't get to see all the people I was so excited to see because there were some incredible people at the track on Saturday in Boston. It looked like so much fun. The podcast sounded incredible.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Ah, thank you.
Becs Gentry: But here we are and what a weekend, Rob. I mean, it was really cold up in Boston, which was quite shocking to the system. But that race had perfect running conditions for a point to point, slight tailwind. Temperature was amazing, which is why we saw some, well, not just some, a lot of absolutely insane times-
Rob Simmelkjaer: So many.
Becs Gentry: - coming out of this race. Not just professional, not just from the elite and professional field. Most people I've spoken to found themselves with either a PR or had one of the most enjoyable runs, marathon distance of their whole life.
Rob Simmelkjaer: 100%. I was so happy for the runners. It was an absolutely perfect day for them. And you're right, my Instagram feed is just filled with PRs. I mean, up and down the scroll is nothing but PR after PR. And that says a lot because this is the Boston Marathon. This is not Chicago. This is not Berlin. It's not even London where you expect a lot of PRs. We're not talking about Boston PRs. We're talking about best marathon time ever. And a course that is not known for that. But I think it was just that perfect combination of weather, a bit of wind, cool temperatures, and people just had themselves some days out there. So congrats to everybody. Whether you're a New York Reuters member or someone who's listening to this podcast for the very first time, congrats to everybody who finished Boston and hopefully you had a great day. Even if you didn't get that PR, if you finished and you had that experience of running 130 runnings of the Boston Marathon and you had a chance to be a part of one of them. So it's a very, very special thing and kind of the dream of so many runners to have that opportunity.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, absolutely. Absolutely. Really, really. Congratulations.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. And the elite side of things, Becs was incredibly inspiring.
Becs Gentry: Yeah. It's so funny because I always think the first half of Boston is quite boring. As a runner, I've run it and the first half of Boston... It's not boring actually as a normal runner. It's quite nice. It's net downhill. It's rolling hills. It feels good on the legs. But when you're watching the elite field, it is quite boring for the first half because they hold back so much. You saw it in both the men's and women's on both the wheelchair and the elite pro runners. I'd say for the first 18 to 20 miles even on Monday, it was a different race than the last few miles. But the men, the men's elite race, Rob, all three of them, the one, two, and three broke the previous course record, correct?
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right. Incredible. That's right. All three of the men who finished on the podium, John Korir, the winner, a course record, 2: 01: 52. Alphonce Simbu from Tanzania would have had a course record had he been the winner at 2: 02:47. And then our good friend, Benson Kipruto from Kenya, 2: 02:50. Blazing times. Congratulations to John Korir. His entire team on a really tremendous race. And he just knew. He knew that he had it and put the hammer down.
Becs Gentry: For the day before.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right.
Becs Gentry: For the day before, he said the day before, he was going to win Boston Marathon again. And he did.
Rob Simmelkjaer: He knew he had it and he had it. And a tremendous effort by all three of them, but it was just John Korir's day. He continues an incredibly successful career and winning in some of the biggest places in the world. Now he's a course record holder and Boston Marathon champion. So congratulations to John Korir. On the women's side, we have to talk about our friend Sharon Lokedi. Now, it was interesting seeing Sharon take this race on without Hellen Obiri there. And so to me, that was always a question.
Becs Gentry: Or her mama.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. Or her mom. I was always wondering, how is she going to handle this? Being out there, not having Hellen, they are such great foils against one another. And so watching how Sharon took this race on to me was so fascinating. I mean, she-
Becs Gentry: It was.
Rob Simmelkjaer: - stayed in that pack with lots of Americans, by the way, who had a great run. We'll talk about, as well as the other podium finishers, Loice Chemnung and Mary... I'm going to have trouble with this name. Ngugi-Cooper.
Becs Gentry: Ngugi-Cooper.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Exactly. Around it at the podium. But they stayed in a pack together along with a bunch of Americans for quite a long time.
Becs Gentry: It looked fun.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It looked like a fun race.
Becs Gentry: They were having some chats.
Rob Simmelkjaer: A lot of familiar faces for us in that group. Jess McClain, Annie Frisbie, Emily Sisson, lots of familiar faces.
Becs Gentry: Dakotah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Dakotah was there. And so they're all just having a nice run and Sharon looked comfortable. I just enjoyed watching Sharon's face during that. She looked comfortable, just didn't look-
Becs Gentry: So comfortable.
Rob Simmelkjaer: - like she was experiencing a lot of stress at all.
Becs Gentry: Nope.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And then she said-
Becs Gentry: None of them did. Let's be honest, none of those women did. There was a fantastic, and it was documented, I think it was on Dakotah's or Annie's Instagram, where they were just sharing a moment of fun. I think maybe it was Kodi Kleven was in between them, and don't quote me on that, but Dakotah's turning around to say something to Annie. They're both laughing. And then, yeah, Sharon just stayed right in the middle of all of the women there, just cruising along. But it was, as I said earlier, there was a certain point in the race for the men and the women. The men, the hats came off. The women, the arm sleeves came off, and they were thrown. And I think Carrie said in the commentary at one point, " I hope somebody picks that up because it is going to go into a hall of fame. Oh, those arm sleeves." And she just decided that, okay, we're getting this done. Now's the time. We're done. We're going for that finish line. Goodbye, everybody. I'll see you later. And she won. Oh, her smile at the end though, I was in tears at home. Tallulah had just come home from, I don't know, dance class or something in the morning and she came running and, " Mommy, are you okay?" And I'm like, " Yes, my friend. I love her. She's just won the Boston Marathon." And she teased just screaming for Sharon, just like, " We love Sharon's pink shoes." And it was elation. There was just so much joy and elation for everyone that day, including all of the women who came in after her.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It was amazing to see. Just what can you say other than she was obviously the talent of that field and she did a phenomenal job. She did. So we're very proud of her. We love it. Congratulations to Sharon. Congratulations to so many of these professional women who had PRs who had this great, great day in Boston. On the wheelchair side, no surprise. Marcel, who continuing to dominate a six- minute margin of victory for him over Daniel Romanchuk. Marcel, no doubt from mile one, he had this thing on lockdown and continues.
Becs Gentry: He knows it. It was his ninth Boston. He knows this course so, so well. His fitness level just continues to improve so much. I mean, he just looked flawless, absolutely flawless all the way. And then on the women's side, proud, proud British-
Rob Simmelkjaer: You're a country woman.
Becs Gentry: - person over here.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah.
Becs Gentry: Eden Rainbow- Cooper. Coming in again, and we spoke about this at the United Airlines NYC Half earlier this year. She changed her mentality. She decided that she needed to step it up. She wanted to work harder. She wanted to be faster, and she made a conscious decision to make those changes. And it is flourishing. Right now, we saw her performance in New York, on the streets of New York, and she has just taken another win, another moment to say, " Yeah, I'm here. I'm here and watch out." And I'm sure Susannah Scaroni, who's currently pregnant, was on the sidelines. I actually saw her in Boston. She was around. I'm sure she was there.
Rob Simmelkjaer: She was. I saw her in the hotel at the Fairmont.
Becs Gentry: Just cheering and celebrating Eden for her incredible performance as well. I mean, Catherine Debrunner was, she was the one people were watching here to win and take it because it's the one place she hasn't had a champion win here. But yep, nope. The Brits came in. It's that cold weather. We know it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Exactly. They're used to that. You're right though. Eden Rainbow- Cooper really has taken her game to another level. So congrats to her. We mentioned some of the Americans on the women's side. So many great days. Jess McClain, so great to see her have a great day. Fifth place. Overall, tremendous effort. Annie Frisbie.
Becs Gentry: Fastest American woman owned the Boston course as well for Jess McClain's (inaudible) .
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes. Yes. Very well done. Very special record there. Annie Frisbie, not far behind in eighth place. Emily Sisson, ninth place. Carrie Ellwood, 10th place. So four Americans getting into that top 10 in Boston.
Becs Gentry: And Dakotah was right there in 12th. So it carried on.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right. She was right there. On the men's side, Zouhair Talbi, 2: 03: 45, fifth place overall. Charles Hicks, seventh place. Clayton Young, congrats to Clayton on an 11th place finish.
Becs Gentry: With nine weeks of training.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Exactly.
Becs Gentry: Nine weeks of training.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Right. I mean, didn't have a lot of time, made a late decision. I saw Clayton in the lobby of the hotel and we talked about how excited he was. And you're right, how he wasn't really sure what he would have with not that much training behind him. He had a lot. He had a great, great day.
Becs Gentry: He did.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It was funny, Becs, there were so many runners there. To your point about Susannah Scaroni not competing because she's expecting a baby and we're so excited for her. But there are others. Viola Cheptoo from our friend from Kenya, who we spent time with who finished six in the Tokyo Marathon. I get out of the Uber at the Fairmont Hotel and I look up and Viola's there and I'm like, " Viola, what are you doing here? You're not running this. And congrats on Tokyo." She's there to support Sharon. They are so close.
Becs Gentry: Such good friends and training partners.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That she (inaudible) they were going out on a training run together. And you see these pro runners, there's so many bonds between them and they'll come to Boston just to support one another, which is amazing. You don't see that in every sport.
Becs Gentry: No. Absolutely not. No, it was beautiful. And I think they shared an embrace not long after Sharon came over the line. So it's just been a really, really, truly long day.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Conner Mantz was there to support Clayton.
Becs Gentry: To support Clayton.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I saw Conner in the lobby as well. He had to unfortunately pull out.
Becs Gentry: Hardcore training.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Exactly.
Becs Gentry: Hardcore training buddies.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's just great. Listen, it's a special sport. It's a special community. And you just see it from the pros all the way on down. So it's a lot of fun. There's just something very special about Boston. I think it's a smaller event, smaller number of finishers, smaller footprint. Everything is so close to everything. You just see everyone. You go to Boston for a couple days and you see everyone in the running community and it's a lot of fun. So I know you really enjoy it as well. All right. Well, coming up in just a moment, Becs, it's going to be, before we know it, time for the RBC Brooklyn Half.
Becs Gentry: Crazy.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I know. It's right on the heels of Boston. Here we go. We're three and a half weeks out from Brooklyn for those who are taking that on. And so we will bring in our one and only race director, the chief event production officer of New York Road Runners, Ted Metellus, for our everything you need to know about the RBC Brooklyn Half episode. And we'll take you through from the transportation to the expo to the course to the finish and the after party, all the things that you need to know to get ready for Brooklyn. So Ted, coming up in just a minute.
Becs Gentry: Peloton is taking running and race tech to the next level with the new Peloton cross- training series, Tread Plus, powered by Peloton IQ. Built for runners who want top tier performance, the Tread Plus helps you train smarter and get race ready with precision. Peloton IQ offers personalized insights that evolve as you progress, so you can fine tune your pacing and peak at the right moment. And with strength workouts, designed to build the muscle you need to support every mile, your training goes beyond the run. Plus, pace target classes designed to build consistency, boost speed, and improve your splits. Every single run supports your full training cycle, from recovery miles to challenging race pace intervals. Experience our most advanced tread yet at onepeloton. com. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner of New York Road Runners.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Today we welcome back to the show, New York Road Runners Chief Event Production Officer and race director, Ted Metellus. Ted's going to drop by as he does before all of our marquee races to give our runners an unmissable preview of what they can expect on race week for our biggest races. Of course, the RBC Brooklyn Half is one of those big races coming up. Ted and I and Becs are all just back as we record on Tuesday from a big weekend in Boston. Ted did not just lend support to all the New York Road Runners runners taking on the Boston Marathon. He and I also ran the Boston 5K on Saturday. And then Ted later in the day actually joined team NYRR for the New Balance Marathon Relay, which we recorded Set the Pace from. So Ted, you had a busy weekend in Boston. How you feeling on Tuesday?
Ted Metellus: I'm feeling really, really, really, really good. It was a busy weekend of activities. The Boston Marathon is tremendous because it's the first North American major, the (inaudible) marathon major. So everybody is in Boston. If you stand in one intersection, you're guaranteed to run into six different people at any given time. But it was a fun filled weekend and a weekend full of running. I was representing team NYRR as part of the relay, which was fun after doing the 5K with you and a bunch of other friends and colleagues.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I got that medal. That medal's back there. That medal's back there hanging. I already put it up there. You can probably see it. Got a couple of those. It's a great 5K they put on in Boston.
Ted Metellus: Yes. Beautiful course, great engagement. Love finishing at the marathon finish, which is very similar to our Abbott Dash to the Finish 5K. But yeah, the energy was amazing. And listen, we'll talk in a second about that weather, which lend itself for a very, very fast and amazing race.
Becs Gentry: Absolutely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: A lot of PRs.
Becs Gentry: Very sad to miss it, but I watched vicariously through everyone's Instagram and watched you all thriving, whether it was on the roads or on the track. It was a weekend of strong New York Roadrunners presence in Boston. I was very proud.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, it was a great weekend. Congrats again to all of the finishers in Boston. And for a lot of folks who didn't run Boston, perhaps the reason they weren't running or weren't even thinking about Boston is because their minds are focused on the RBC Brooklyn Half, which is coming up before we know it in the middle of May, and we're all excited for that. So let's turn our attention to the RBC Brooklyn Half coming up in just under a month. And Ted, let's start focusing on what is new this year. And there is a big new thing for the RBC Brooklyn Half this year, which is the location of the expo, formerly known as the pre- party. And Ted, this has been a topic of... We can give people a little peek behind the curtain a little bit here because this has been a topic of conversation for a while at New York Roadrunners. You and I had this conversation many times regarding the situation with the pre- party at Brooklyn Bridge Park. Brooklyn Bridge Park was a spectacular venue. It was an amazing place to be. It was beautiful. The views, the vibes were incredible. And that all lended itself to the pre- party kind of vibe. The issue was getting there. It was hard for folks to get there combined with the fact that the race is on a Saturday, which meant you didn't quite have the time maybe to hang out because people were working on the Wednesday, the Thursday, the Friday. So all that led to lots of conversation, which ultimately has landed us in a new location for the RBC Brooklyn Half Expo.
Becs Gentry: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Tell everybody about that.
Ted Metellus: Rob is literally the best boss ever. And you know he's got phenomenal broadcast skills as he referenced it conversations. Some would call it debates.
Becs Gentry: He was being calm and kind, right?
Ted Metellus: So called full on battles.
Becs Gentry: Rob's like, " It looks really good and it's amazing." And Ted's like, " Yeah, but the people can't get there."
Rob Simmelkjaer: Actually, the other way around, Becs. It was actually the other way around. Yes.
Becs Gentry: Ted, tell us, that shocks me.
Ted Metellus: Yeah. Well, I'll give you a quick scoop and dive into things because evolution is a beautiful thing and change is inevitable. This race in particular, the RBC Brooklyn Half Marathon has had so many changes over the years. Some small, some big. I remember back many, many, many, many years ago, and you've heard this on our other pods where the race used to start in Coney Island and finish in Prospect Park. And that went on for quite some time until we turned and changed and modified this race to what the course is today, the (inaudible) course that we have today. The pre- party, which was one of a kind in its industry. And having an outdoor expo, which is not that foreign, but something in an incredibly unique and iconic location like Brooklyn Bridge Park was really, really cool and different with the entertainment and the music and everything that we have there. Well, we took all of that, the energy and the vibe and that uniqueness and venue and space and moved it to a new spot. And a spot that, to Rob's point, should be a lot easier for people to get to. A location that many of the 27, 000 plus runners will be traversing through, which is in Prospect Park. So we are moving the expo now to the LeFrak Center at Lakeside in Prospect Park. So a great location that will be there for folks that live in the Brooklyn area, they may have taken their kids there to go ice skating or have gone there for events and programs. What is great now is there are east side and west side train access to Prospect Park and follow the signage and directions in our staff that will direct you right to the center of the park there to pick up your bib.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And let's stay on that just-
Becs Gentry: Oh, sorry.
Rob Simmelkjaer: No, go ahead, Becs. Sorry.
Becs Gentry: Well, I was going to say, I was going to add, as a lot of people are running this year's. If you are with smaller humans, it is a great way to make a bit of a fun excursion for the day to get your kids involved in movement and get them excited by going to pick up mom, dad, uncle, auntie, friends, bib, but then they get to be in Prospect Park. As I said, there's a lot of activities to do there. There's also a zoo. Most people probably don't know that in Prospect Park, which is actually perfect for smaller humans, like toddlers and above. It's not a big zoo. It's great. And obviously it's a huge and beautiful outdoor space and they can get to see where their favorite human or one of their favorite humans is going to be running the next day. So don't be fearful to bring the family along and make it a family day. And then they can maybe hear about all the other New York Road Runners races for kids that they might want to get involved in at another time and place. So make it fun for everyone. So this is even more fun for everyone.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, it's going to be awesome. We're excited for the new location. It's a beautiful venue there. And so far, what I've been hearing is the Brooklyn people especially are very happy. A lot of people in Brooklyn area, this is easier for them to get to. And just a word to the folks who are not that excited about going to Brooklyn for the expo, whether it is at Brooklyn Bridge Park or in Prospect Park. And just so you all know out there, we hear you, we listen to you. I see the conversations happening on Reddit and all the places, so we pay attention. And I want to just say, and Ted, I know you love to say this, the RBC Brooklyn Half is in Brooklyn. And so if you want to run a half- marathon in Brooklyn, then that's why-
Becs Gentry: You got to come to Brooklyn.
Rob Simmelkjaer: - the expo's in Brooklyn. Because we do see a lot of, and it's kind of funny on Reddit, the Brooklyn people are all telling the people from Manhattan and other places like, " Oh, what a shame. You have to come to Brooklyn." We all go to Manhattan all the time. And that's right. You want to run the RBC Brooklyn Half, you must go to Brooklyn, not once, but twice.
Becs Gentry: Cross that (inaudible) baby.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Once to pick up your bib and then once to run the race. And to be clear, there will be no race numbers available on race morning at the start. There will be no race numbers available at the run center. You must go to Brooklyn. You can send a friend. We do allow expo pickups or proxy pickup.
Ted Metellus: Proxy pickup.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes. So you can send a friend, maybe a club teammate or whoever you know who's running the race as well. And that is a way to kind of make things a little bit easier.
Becs Gentry: But it is the B, Q, and S. There are three lines on the subway that will get you there. There are city bikes, beautiful ride over beautiful bridges. There's a little warmup jog, shakeout run. I don't know, maybe. Maybe do that as well. Plenty of ways to get there, including Uber. They do go to Brooklyn.
Ted Metellus: Becs is speaking like a proud Brooklynite there. And it's great that you note all the different ways that folks can traverse and get their way to that venue. So yes, all things trains, all things buses, taking a quick rundown to the lower part of the park there to that venue is key. There are city bike parking spots on the east side and the west side of the parks is options to get there. Yes, Rob, proxy pickup is available for participants for this event, which is great too. So teammates, partners, friends, please come show up with the appropriate material needed identification of the teammates and their information so the team can scan and provide the bibs there for them as well as their race t- shirts. What is also going to be available for you at the expo is all of the necessary equipment that you'll need leading into the event. So our partners from Fleet Feet, our amazing partners from New Balance will be there where you can get your final gels and supplies that you need prior to race day, but also making sure that you're well styled and looking fresh for your run. One quick point though that we want to make sure that people know is that our runners are asked to submit their times that they want to plan to come in. So look at your calendar, look at your dates, see when it coordinates well and please submit that. So we are best prepared to be able to manage the crowds based on the slots available for entry at the expo. But we'll still have fun. They'll still have merch. We'll still have a good time. There'll be some tunes. The team's trying to figure out if there's a way for me to get out there and DJ for a little bit, so we'll see if that can happen.
Becs Gentry: That will get everyone to Brooklyn.
Ted Metellus: Well, you know. DJing is great because I got a face for radio. So sit back, play some tunes and set the vibes for folks. But we're really, really excited about this new venue and this site. And for those who may have never participated in this event, similar to the TCS New York City Marathon, you get a little bit of a preview of what the venue is when you come into Central Park. And in this case, you'll get an opportunity to see, wow, you know what? We'll be running uphill to exit out of this location or entering in at this location. Take a look at where the entrance points are at on Eastern Parkway. Get a little bit of a lay of land prior to race day.
Becs Gentry: Amazing. Ted, something you briefly touched on there is something that we've been seeing a lot of questions from runners about is wave and corral placement. And it is the basis of runners who have may well, and amazingly so, have improved their time since they submitted the application for this race. So is there a way, and if so, how would they potentially move their wave and corral position?
Ted Metellus: One of the things that is uniform across all events everywhere, Rob, you and I chatted about this in Boston where we're getting ready to do the 5K. You can't go forward, but you can always go backwards. So if you have a friend, loved one that is running with you and they're moving at a slower pace, you can run with them there.
Becs Gentry: But if it's before the May the 1st, 2026, they can submit online with an official certified half- marathon result, which is from April... What was the date there? January, sorry. January 20th.
Rob Simmelkjaer: January-
Ted Metellus: Yes, January 20th to May 1st. Exactly.
Becs Gentry: So May 1st, 2026. That is only online though, guys. You cannot come on the day when you pick up your bib with that URL, that link or that certificate in your hand, as Ted said, that will not happen on the day. You have to do that prior to May the 1st, essentially, online. Okay? So make sure that's the changes. But yeah, anything on the expedited said, you can move backwards to join other friends perhaps or later in the day to make your morning easier. But yeah, changing otherwise online. That's right.
Ted Metellus: And upon listening to this podcast, you do have time.
Becs Gentry: Yes.
Ted Metellus: So upon the listening of this, when this pops up, if that information has not been supplied, again, as Becs noted, submitting your certified marathon completed time between-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Half marathon.
Ted Metellus: Half- marathon time, I'm sorry, between January 20th, 2026 to May 1st. So if you've done a fast half, plug that in and get out there and hit those miles.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right. Absolutely. And you will get an email closer to race day, which will tell you your final wave and your final corral assignment. And again, as Ted said, pay attention to that. Show up at the appropriate time for your wave and know that you cannot move up, but you can move back if there's folks you want to run with.
Becs Gentry: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Let's talk about transportation. Always an issue, Ted, also something people are thinking about where when you got close to 30, 000 people showing up in one place that's not Yankee Stadium or City Field that's used to having large numbers of people show up, it's important to leave time, Ted. And I know this is one of your favorite metaphors is the airport, right? Yes. And getting there in time for your flight in this pace you'll race.
Becs Gentry: Especially recently.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes.
Ted Metellus: Yes, yes, yes. You hit it on the head there and it's all key in preparation of phase that I'm chuckling because of what Becs commented about, especially recently. Poor Becs had some travel challenges getting home post Boston. Yeah. So it's important that folks plan accordingly as to their train or motor transportation to get to the venue, also as it relates to their wave locations and times. So that's a point that I want to note there. So you so eloquently stated before, all the trains that are available for folks to get through to get down to either Flatbush Avenue or Bedford Avenue there. So those are the two locations that folks will be able to get access into the corral points for the events. Your key landmarks are going to either be the Grand Army Plaza Train Station Stop, the Brooklyn Museum Train Station stops. So you're too closest that are going to get you to our venue and site.
Becs Gentry: Amazing.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Love it.
Becs Gentry: Amazing. And follow the runners.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Leave lots of time.
Ted Metellus: Yes. Well, I'll tell you so much time. So straight from our safety and security team, as well as our baggage operations team screening will open at 6: 30 AM on race morning. And again, the race is on Saturday, not on Sunday, but on Saturday.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Really important fact there. Ted, can we talk about security for a second because we know that there can be backups sometimes to get through security screening. What can runners do to help speed that process along of getting through these checkpoints quickly? And so not only to get themselves through, but to help all their fellow runners get it through quickly into their corrals.
Ted Metellus: Well, this is the thing. We just mentioned it. Treat it like you would if you were flying. If your flight was taken off at seven o'clock, you are not showing up at seven o'clock. That's not going to happen because the doors be closed and that plane is pulling off and taking off. So what we ask folks to do is plan accordingly to get to the venue as early as possible. Our teams are saying anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes to get there, which will allow you enough time to get through the queue lines because with 27, 000 plus participants, you're not the only person showing up. All right? So plan accordingly there. The other things too that I will let folks know is this. If you are showing up with baggage, you need to drop your bags in your appropriate corral area based on your start. If you're running without any baggage, you can enter in on the east side of the west side. So I'll give you a little bit here. Bag check will open up at 5: 00 AM. So you'll drop your bag first before making your way over to the screening location, as I mentioned before. So bag check opens up at 5: 00 AM on Eastern Parkway. Waves one and three bag check is on Bedford Avenue and Eastern Parkway. Waves two and four bag check is on Eastern Park Parkway between Plaza Street and Grand Army Plaza. So runners will be allowed one bag and we'll provide those bags for folks. This race tend to be a little bit on the milder side temperature wise, you don't need to bring your giant hoodie or your sweatpants or your jacket. We had that experience with the United Airlines and YCF. We're going to expect some nicer temps here for space.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, I hope so. So the ways around here, I'm not sure. It's 30 degrees in April this morning.
Ted Metellus: Exactly.
Becs Gentry: I could see my breath this morning. It was brutal.
Ted Metellus: Yeah, it is a little bit of a crapshoot here. You have 25 days before race day upon recording this tape here. We'll see what happens. We'll see what we got.
Becs Gentry: Last week we were busking in 85 degrees.
Ted Metellus: Correct.
Becs Gentry: What's 60 degree discrepancy?
Ted Metellus: We're leaning on and praying for good temps there.
Becs Gentry: It's normally nice.
Ted Metellus: Exactly. And again, the key point here is taking a look at, you'll see when you receive your bib, your bib will say what wave you're in and what corral you're in. Okay. So looking at that, you'll see what side you need to enter in on from Eastern Parkway. If you don't have any baggage, you can come in from either side based on the trains that you get off on. If you have baggage, you have to drop it off in your appropriate location, whether it's the one and three side or the two and four side. Once that is done, then you'll be making your way through security. Here's the security part here, folks. Again, similar to the airport. Don't show up to the security gate with everything in your pockets and then pulling it out. Be prepared there. What we've done is we've added additional security screening points in partnership with our friends and partners from NYPD. So there'll be more magnetometers and screening locations there, additional infrastructure to queue the participants up accordingly. Additional staff there to inform folks about being prepared upon entry. And we have more of these security baskets that you'll be able to put your phone, your keys, and the items that you have there that you will be running with into those baskets to make the screening process as quick as possible. So come prepared and ready to go with those things there. We've informed and shared with all of the teams that are on the ground, the security personnel, NYPD, and so on and so forth, what the average runner will be showing up with. Gel and fluids and things of that nature, but please adhere to them by being prepared. In some cases, depending on the sensitivity of the magnetometers, your watch may go off. Again, this is not very foreign because some of us have experienced this going through the airports. So they may ask you to put that into those baskets to get that process going through as quickly as possible. So taking those quick tips would be very helpful. Half hour, 45 minutes at the most, definitely get there, especially if you need some warm up time, get there a little bit earlier. It's better to be at the, I was going to say at the gate before your flight, but in security and screened prior to your run. So that way it's one less thing to have to stress about. And then you can get yourself race ready. Upon entering into the secure area, pre- race fluids will be available to you and all of the race amenities will be there for you ready to go, instructions and signage to direct our participants to the appropriate ways. And all you need to do is run.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right. And speaking of running, let's talk about this 13. 1 mile course that our runners will be taking on in May. And Ted, I've been here now for four years. I've never run this race.
Ted Metellus: We need to fix that, Rob. We need to fix that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I was hoping this might be the year, but as listeners know, I've really had to shut running down. That 5K we ran in Boston was my first race of 2026.
Becs Gentry: I didn't want to highlight that earlier, but I was like, "Ooh, there we go."
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Absolutely. And by the way, it felt great to be out there. I was thrilled and I'm excited to get back to running a little bit here. But as I look at the course and I hear people talk about this course, I've kind of broken it down, Ted, almost like three different courses. You've got the Prospect Park section with the loops in Prospect Park. And so many of our runners, especially the Brooklyn based folks, are really familiar with that. They're used to running those Prospect Park loops. Then you've got the Ocean Parkway straightaway. I call it the countdown. You're ticking off those blocks, counting down to getting to the ocean. And then finally, that third and spectacular part of the race is that iconic finish on the Coney Island Boardwalk.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's kind of how I see the course, Ted. What do you think? Does that add up?
Ted Metellus: You are spot on there. And it's funny. I break it down into the pieces and chunks haven't run this phrase. Becs Gentry, have you run this race?
Becs Gentry: Twice. It is the only race in my repertoire that I have run twice. I have a rule that I only run races once, but I have run the RBC Brooklyn Half twice.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It is so nice she had to run it twice. I love it.
Becs Gentry: And who knows? Maybe we'll make it hat trick this year.
Ted Metellus: Well, let's see. Well, here's what the thing that I would recommend, and then we'll talk quickly about the route. I'm wishing on the good health gods in the world. Sprinkle some magic juju on your knees so you feel good. So that in 2027, Rob, you can run the RBC Brooklyn Half Marathon and you can run it with Becs.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That would be fun.
Becs Gentry: We should run it. Do a live podcast while we run.
Ted Metellus: Exactly. Talk about setting the pace. Hello.
Rob Simmelkjaer: A very out of breath podcast. Yes. No one will understand a word, at least I say.
Ted Metellus: Yes. Rob has some wheels on him too. He pushes hard. He doesn't know slow. But Rob, you broke down the course really, really well.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, you did.
Ted Metellus: The athletes would be lining up. Once they've gone through the screening process at Eastern Parkway, got there with ample time, got themselves raced ready mentally, physically, and ready to go. Showed some love to the volunteers. Once again, see a volunteer. Thank a volunteer. Volunteer appreciation month. Gang gang. We get over to the start line and then the magic starts there on Washington. So you're making your way down Washington, making the turn on Empire, going up Flatbush Avenue and going around the Grand Army Plaza. It is one of the most beautiful locations to kick off this race as you're making your way around there. I love it out and back because you get to see your fellow runners, you see where the crowd is, you kind of get yourself ready to go. But that Flatbush Avenue is a climb going up, and then they're going down to Empire onto Ocean Parkside to enter into Prospect Park. And again, now you've clicked off with that first section, which is that first out and back. Enter into the park, Rob, you hit it well. You've done the loops there. Prospect Park is sneaky hilly.
Becs Gentry: Very.
Ted Metellus: Okay. So you want to plan that accordingly there and pace yourself accordingly as you're making your way through, navigating the hills as you make your way up around the east side and west side of the park and then exiting out the southern end of the park to then make your way down to Ocean Parkway. Straight away path down Ocean Parkway there. A message to the run clubs, the run crews, the cheer squads. Everybody come down to Ocean Parkway. Park out there and show some love for folks as they're making their way down. Please, please, please, because there is no better way than to see loved ones out there as you're navigating the route at that point there.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And it breaks up that countdown. I mean, the thing is that's where the runners need the support because it can be hard to run for a long time, straight as an arrow. There's no turns. There's no real hills much going on.
Becs Gentry: You can see the ocean.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Right. You can start to see it toward the end, but having that knowledge that there's somebody there waiting for you, that your club, that your friends, family are going to be there and you got that to look forward to. It just breaks up that long stretch, Ted. And I know that is the part of the race that runners do sometimes struggle.
Becs Gentry: They do.
Ted Metellus: Yes. And I've run the race a number of times and I've had the pleasure... I've run solo and I've run with friends. And that section is actually really cool to run with people because it's so wide. So you don't want to run two or three abreast under normal circumstances because you want to be mindful of the other athletes around you. But in that location, you can kind of space yourself out, get a rhythm, see the folks that are there with you and kind of roll with it. If you're running solo, make a friend as you're making your way down Ocean Parkway.
Becs Gentry: Always.
Ted Metellus: Connect with folks. How you doing? You're looking good. I love doing that when I pass one or two people and mostly getting past when people are running by me. You're looking great, you're looking good, but definitely engaging with the athletes there. We will have some really cool activations on Ocean Parkway as well. Some music that'll be out there, some signs that'll be out there, some flags and engagement components that'll be out there as well. So there's a lot that'll have going on on Ocean Parkway, but that's that stretch that you really want to let loose and really gauge yourself there. If it's a sunnier day, that is probably the location on the route that has the least amount of shape.
Becs Gentry: I was just about to say that hot.
Ted Metellus: We will have 10 aid stations on the course. 10 aid stations on the course with Gatorade, water. We will have a Morton gel station on the route as well, and we'll have missing stations at multiple points will on the route. You'll hit the misting station prior to getting to the Gatorade and then water. So it's always going to be misting, Gatorade, water.
Becs Gentry: Gorgeous.
Ted Metellus: Misting, Gatorade, water.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Ted Metellus: You'll have those resources that'll be there. When you make your way down the southern end, as you're approaching Coney Island, so I'm wearing my Coney Island shirt here today, you'll be now passing some of our Rising New York Road Runners youth that are participating in the rising boardwalk run. So youth that are going to be out there between the ages of two to eight. We'll be running along doing their laps and distances, their dashes and whatnot. So give them a wave, give them a shout, give them a cheer as you make your way up the ramp onto Ocean Parkway and cruising down towards the finish. Here is going to be change number two, Rob Simmelkjaer and Becs Gentry. The finish line has been moved. We've adjusted the finish line. Yes, we have adjusted the finish line. So finish line's approximately 200 feet farther south. And that was working very closely with the businesses on Coney Island Boardwalk to help manage some of the crowds and flow that happens there. And what happens now when the runners are approaching, you'll see the pedestrian bridge as you approach it. That is not the finish. Do not stop at the Pedestrian Bridge. All right. There'll be signage that'll be out there. There'll be folks that are out there directing you to keep on going because you're only a stretch away and you'll see our beautiful new structures there for the finish as you make your way down the boardwalk to finish in strong there. And then once you finish, you'll start receiving all of your pre- race amenities. Ice towels, if the weather permits, water on the boardwalk, and then when you enter into the parking lot there, that's where you have your medals, your bags will be waiting for you there, your food bags will be ready for you, and then the after party.
Becs Gentry: Yay.
Rob Simmelkjaer: 100%.
Becs Gentry: That is the most perfect course breakdown. And it is a course that actually has everything in a weird way of you've got the hills, you've got the out and back, you've got the kind of roundabout situation at Grand Army Plaza where you're going to go apart, like a loop around, you're going to see your pals at the start, everyone's just buzzing. And then that long, long, long straightaway, you can do a Rob and countdown if you want to. I try not to look at the alphabetized countdown or up because it kills me.
Ted Metellus: You know it well. Very good, Becs Gentry. You know the alphabet. It's like Avenue A, Avenue B, Avenue C.
Becs Gentry: And there's a few that are named rows that you're like, " Wait, wait, what? Why am I not?"
Ted Metellus: Did I make a wrong turn?
Becs Gentry: Did I make a wrong turn?
Ted Metellus: No, you did not make a wrong turn.
Becs Gentry: I've got three roads and I'm literally just D has gone to E. But yeah, focus on, as Ted said, just distractions of whatever you can take along there. There will be plenty provided. But then you get onto the boardwalk and it is like a dream because your legs, everything always feels heavy at the end of any race, whatever distance, because you've pushed yourself. And at the end of 13. 1, just to go onto that slightly softer, wooden boardwalk, underfoot can feel like it's given you a boost to fly down those last few hundred meters. And you see it in people. It's like they come off the concrete and the tarmac and they're like, " Ooh, oh, this is spree. I'm going to get over this finish line really, really vibrantly." So it's really going to take you through all of the emotions down this run and then the after party, which is pretty legendary down in Coney Island. I mean, you'll see people in the ocean. And again, we don't authorize that. We don't stand by it. That is up to you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: No lifeguards on duty.
Becs Gentry: No lifeguards, you're grown adults, your choice, but there's fun fair. What's it called? Fun park. What are they called?
Ted Metellus: Fun Park. Yes. Well, it is, my goodness, we have all the amusement park rising there.
Becs Gentry: Amusement Park. Thank you.
Ted Metellus: Yes. There you go. There you go. There you go. You have roller coasters that are going on. We definitely tell you to participate in that at Maimonides Park where the Brooklyn baseball team there, the Minor League Baseball team Cyclones are there playing. We'll have a stage, we'll have music, we have incredible activations. All of the concessions will be open so you can get some hot dogs and get (inaudible) . You can kick it out and relax it out there and enjoy the vibes and the sounds and the sounds. Becs and Rob, will there be a podcast on site at the after party there?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Wow. Becs, do you even know?
Becs Gentry: No idea.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Let's ask our producers.
Ted Metellus: I just got a nod yes. There is a nod yes. Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Okay. I think Matt Singer just said yes. I kind of assume so, but Becs and I just do what we're told. So we wait for them to tell us where to go.
Becs Gentry: Matt's going to have to excuse me from Peloton that morning, but Matt, that is over to you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes. Matt Singer says yes. So that you can come.
Becs Gentry: Rob and I froze there. We're both like, "Whoa."
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. It's like, "Oh man, I'm stunned. I think so."
Becs Gentry: He's thinking she's going to know and I'm thinking he's going to know.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We'll see everybody. There at Maimonides Park, we'll see you there with a live podcast. It is one of my favorite parts.
Becs Gentry: It is. We've historically done them. So it would be weird without one.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's great. And the energy there is so amazing, especially if there's good weather.
Becs Gentry: It'll be like sunbathing and recovering and buying a new pair of sunglasses whilst they had a margarita and a hot dog. It's just lovely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So we still have a party. The thing is, we still have a party for the RBC Brooklyn Half. It's the post party. The after party is where the action is going to be. And you've got time on Saturday and not only in the stadium, but then people will head over to the restaurants and the bars and everything that Coney Island has to offer and it's a lot. And then you go back to wherever you're from when you're ready to go. So it's a great, great time and it's a Saturday. So everybody's in a festive mood. And that is probably my single favorite part of the RBC Brooklyn Half. And I haven't had to run it to experience that. I just go to the after party. It's a great time.
Becs Gentry: Do you remember, is it two years ago when we had the live podcast? And I think I said to Matt, I was like, " I don't know how I'm going to get there. So can I run it?" And I ran. I was like, " I may as well." I ran to work and did the Brooklyn Half as well. That's why I did it for the second time.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Like I always say, running is an underrated form of transportation.
Becs Gentry: It really and truly is.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's a good way to get there.
Becs Gentry: You get to hang out at Coney Island as well. Ted, whilst you discussed the route and the course, and we said it is volunteer appreciation month, just something really important that we did want to highlight today that there are plenty of folks I'm sure out there who are not up for running it this year for multiple reasons, but volunteer spots are open and we are looking for people to come and fill those roles. So Ted, can you just talk to us a little bit more about what we're looking for and why it's so important?
Ted Metellus: Yeah. So registration is still open for volunteer opportunities, many of which are plus one opportunities for those that are on their non- plus one journey. so this is a great way to be of service to the running community, be of service here to your community at large, but also be able to be one step closer to fulfilling not plus one journey there. So one of the key areas that we are an urgent need of is medical personnel. EMTs, nurses, physicians, they are at many of the nine, 10 plus medical locations we have along the route, as well as our finish line area. There's medical personnel that are there to help and assist folks. Sometimes people are a little bit of wobbly legs and they just need a little bit of support to get them Steady Freddy and get themselves moving. So those folks are still available there. Now, medical roles close on the 24th. So upon listening to this podcast there, but the deadline for registration for finish and start positions for volunteers is on April 30th.
Becs Gentry: Amazing. Amazing.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Absolutely. We need you. We love you volunteers. And again, you still got a chance to get that plus one, which is key. Again, I want to say again, the medical volunteers are such an important part of making these events safe. So if you're an EMT, a nurse, physician, please step in and help us support our runners, keep our runners safe throughout this big endurance event as it is. So thank you very much to all the volunteers, no doubt about it. Well, let's talk training a little bit. And Ted, you know a little something about training for a half- marathon because you just ran a half- marathon. And by the way, congratulations on your 50th half marathon. You have been an accomplished half marathoner yourself. You just ran the Berlin Half Marathon. How was that?
Ted Metellus: It was amazing. It was so, so cool. It was my first international marathon.
Becs Gentry: I find that so hard to understand with the amount you travel and the amount of races you go. I was like, " Are you sure?"
Ted Metellus: Yeah. Well, here's the thing. When I'm at an event, I'm at the event for the event. I'm there for the participants. I'm there for the staff. I'm there for the team at large. I'm not there for myself. I'm fortunate to squeeze in a little 5K or a little mile here or there, depending on the market and the event. But when it's larger distances, I'm very really focused on the event operations and the team at large that's there. But yes, I do practice in the activity that I produce in running these races. And Becs, I don't follow your rule of only running a race once. I've run many races many times, but this was my first time joining the Berlin half. And what is great about running an event like this is you wear two hats in that situation. The runner hat that is experienced over many, many years of running and then the event producer's hat that's been in that space producing and getting these events ready to go. So at this point, runners have put in the work to get them to the finish line. Some of the quick tips that I apply to myself to make sure that I have a great race day is, one, looking at the maps, looking at where the aid stations are all on the route, getting an understanding of the course and where there's hills and so on and so forth, always, always, always looking at the weather. So I know how to dress appropriately for race day. I'm a big fan of proponent of showing up prepared. I have my own fluids, so we always tell participants to do that. There will be refill stations along the course at the 10- 8 station. So if you run with your own bottle, we know we have stations that can fill you up with water or Gatorade at those locations. I do run with my own gel as well. While at mile marker 6. 8, we will have a Morton gel station there with caffeinated non- caffeinated product. Sometimes you want to have your own product because everybody drinks and hydrates and refuels at a different cadence. So know that you have all those items that are there. So that's the pre- piece that's there. At this point, folks should be tapering down and really making sure that their bodies are set to go. Just like we save for the marathon, we will save for the half- marathon. Don't do anything new. Don't do anything new that you haven't done leading into the preparation of this event, the right shoes, the right socks, so- and- so forth. All of those things are important to make sure that you are set for race day. I was chatting with Jenny Simpson yesterday, who was at the finish line of the Boston Marathon helping out at the (inaudible) 10, and we were chatting about how we need to amplify the message to runners to be prepared going into the run. The better prepared you are, the better the experience will be. Lay everything out, have it all set and ready to go day in advance, do the flat runner, flat stand lay photo, because that way everything's popped and ready to go for your race day, and it will make sure that that morning when you're up and you're rolling, everything is set.
Becs Gentry: Perfect.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Let's talk a little about training, Becs. I'm actually going to turn the tables on you for a quick second, Becs, because of the three of us, you're probably the most qualified to answer questions about training at this point.
Ted Metellus: Seven marathons, seven days, seven continents.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I think she probably is the most qualified to talk about where runners should be right now. So Becs, three and a half weeks out from a half- marathon. We got a lot of experienced people who've run a lot of half. We have a lot of first timers who this is their first half- marathon, and that's a really big deal. Can you talk about the taper for the half and where a runner should be? Should they be running any races between now and a half or what the mindset should be in the last few weeks before a half?
Becs Gentry: Absolutely. Three and a half or so weeks out from the race, you've done your longest training run at this point. So hopefully your mentality is in the, I can and I will situation here. You know that you've just got to tack on probably just a couple more miles to what you've already established as your most successful long run of this training block. You are going to start feeling antsy in the next week or so as your intensity goes down. So here's the thing about taper. You can do it many ways. My rule of thumb as a running coach over the decade and a half that I've been a running coach is you do not change the routine in taper. You change the intensity and duration of the workouts in the routine. So you may still move your body five days a week in the last couple of weeks of taper, but you're not going to be going and doing hardcore speed workouts twice that week, which are going to raise up your heart rate and run the risk of an injury close to race day. You're not going to be going up for long runs. Your runs are going to be of easy intensity. They're going to be of short duration. They're going to get shorter and shorter towards race day. Your final shakeout run is not necessarily a shakeout run for your muscles. Obviously it is a little bit. It's a shakeout run for your nerves, your anxiety, your concerns. Most of the time you'll do a shakeout run with a group, a community. If you haven't done that before, I highly recommend you sign yourself up to a group shakeout run before your race. You then can offload your worries, your stresses, your questions, your concerns to fellow runners. And it will get out of your head, get out of your body, get out of tension, and you will feel so much calmer and settled and reassured by your fellow runners ahead of your race. So right now, I'm sure you are feeling good. Any training process you go through, this phase where you're at in the bit before taper, those few weeks is always the most uncomfortable because your body is peaking. The adaptations are being made, the changes are being made, but you have to be patient. Humans are not patient beings. We do not like to wait for things. We like immediate gratification. Even if you say you don't, you do. It's a human nature. We want to see that result right now because we're tired and we've been training and we want to be able to run it. Wait, be calm, get through this, meditate. Try Peloton meditation. I don't know. Just do something that's going to bring you down because the next three and a half weeks are going to feel long, but then race day is going to feel so short. And that high, you want to be able to be in it. You want to be able to be there feeling the vibe so you remember it. So when it comes to race day, absolutely take it all in. Every single step of the way. You've listened to this podcast, you know how you're getting there, you know where your bag is going to go, you know where your friends and family are going to be. You know where you're going to pick your bag up, you know where you're going to hang with your medal all day. The only thing you've got to do is be that rockstar for the 13.1 miles through Brooklyn to the ocean and live it. Be in it, be present. High five people. Thank the volunteers. Take the photo on your phone of the ocean when you're getting onto the boardwalk, okay? And just enjoy the process because you chose to do this. We're all full- grown adults who do this. You chose to do it. You put yourself in this situation. So see it through in the best way you can, because if you give that, that's all that matters. The best way you can on the day is the best way you can on the day. And it's wonderful.
Rob Simmelkjaer: 100%. Thank you for that, Becs. And what about for the folks who maybe they're dealing with an injury, they're cropped up during their training. Maybe they wake up on race week or race day and don't feel great. What's your advice to them?
Becs Gentry: Oh, life happens. It sucks. It really, really does suck. One thing that is the most difficult thing to swallow out of all things in training is an injury or waking up with a cold or waking up with a stomach bug or something on race day or having a really bad night's sleep because your neighbor decided to have a party all night the night before race day. Life does happen like that. A lot of the time, and I'm going to blame this a lot on wearables, we look at our wearables and they tell us that we're not worthy that day. Again, you're a full- grown adult. You've probably got decades of sleep in you. You'll be okay. You will be okay if it's just tiredness. You can sleep after an injury though. You've trained really hard for weeks and weeks and weeks. And that is something that we tend to forget on race morning. It's like that just goes on the morning of the race and the only thing that matters and the only thing that's going to make us worthy is finishing that race. I want you to question that. I want you to argue against that on race morning if you're injured. What makes you worthy is the passion, the grit, the determination that you've put in through those weeks of training. Race day is just another day. It's just another long run. And if you're smart, you can have a lot more long runs. They just might happen further down the line and you may just have to be a spectator for that race day. But your race day will happen. If you push through an injury, the chances of your race day happening are going to get pushed back further and further and further away. And that fitness that you've accumulated in training is going to get further and further and further away. So don't be too proud to be the spectator and the supporter for people who have done exactly what you've done on the past few weeks of training. Go out, give them high- fives. Wallow, yes, of course. It's sad and it's frustrating. There will be other races. There's only one body. So look after that body, put that body first and foremost.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes, yes, yes. Thank you, Becs. Awesome advice. Love that.
Becs Gentry: Rob's like, "I know, I feel it."
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, listen, there's different kinds of injuries. There's stuff that's acute and there's stuff you've been dealing with and going to be dealing with.
Becs Gentry: Taper tendons. You'll feel the tightness of your body. It will start to tighten up, especially if you're a little older. You will feel it. Newer runners, you'll feel it because you've gotten into this weeks of feeling like a rockstar and running all the time. You've got movement, your sign over your fluid. It's always viscous in your body. So you feel like, woo, I'm always, always moving. And then you slow down on those taper weeks and it starts to get a little bit tighter, a little bit tougher on those joints. And then you start to think, " Oh my gosh, is this an injury or is this just tapering?" So definitely have those conversations with yourself. And again, have those conversations with your fellow runners. And if needs to be a physician, a PT or somebody who has a lot of experience in it, who might be able to guide you in a better way than your brain or ChatGPT.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Thank you. And before I send it back to Ted for last thoughts, one thing I'll add to what you're saying is respect the distance of the half- marathon because I find and I see that at times people, especially if they're experienced, " Oh, it's just a half. Oh, I can handle a half." A half- marathon is no joke when it comes to what it puts your body through, what it requires of your body. Respect it because it is possible, very possible to not only get injured, but have serious situations arise in a half- marathon. And we don't want anyone to be in a medical tent along the course. We want to see everybody who's at that start line, at that finish line. And we've had, and it's been publicized situations where in our half- marathons, including this one, we've had serious medical situations. So please mind your body, mind how you're feeling, and respect the distance of the half- marathon. And if you need to stop, if you need to walk, those things are all okay because what matters is getting to the finish line and getting there safely. All right, Ted, last word to you. For the 30, 000 or so folks who we expect to see out there in Brooklyn, what's your final piece of inspiration for them?
Ted Metellus: Well, final pieces of inspiration are one, lean into the training, as Becs had mentioned to you, and you'll have a great race day. Share the experience with your family, friends, and loved ones. Have them download the NYRR app so they can track them and follow their journey during the event. Be able to see where you are on the route if they want to come out and see you running and spectating along the course, the dearest subway stations that are by Grand Army Plaza, the nearest stations by Prospect Park, the stations along Ocean Parkway. Being able to jump on either the D, F, N, or Q train to Coney Island, which is the same trains that'll be taking you back up to taking you home post the event. Family reunion that will be over at Maimonides Park so you can participate and celebrate with them. Have a great time. I mean, Rob, I say this at all the races that we run. I say, listen to your body. Look out for one another. Mine your space, mine your pace. Those are the key things that I always tell folks there so they can go into having an amazing race day. Better prepared you are, the better your overall experience will be. So definitely lean on to that and have some fun. We're looking forward to seeing everybody brighten early on race day. First waves at 7: 00 AM. Okay. So please get there early because we start early, we get done early and you enjoy the day. You can literally run this race, get done and have brunch. So we'll be seeing you at Coney Islands at Nathan's have a hotdog for me and have some fun and we'll be reading you as you finish strong.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right, everybody. Ted Metellus. Thank you very much. We'll see you in Brooklyn. New York Road Runners is a nonprofit organization with a vision to build healthier lives and stronger communities through the transformative power of running. The support of members and donors like you helps us achieve our mission to transform the health and wellbeing of our communities through inclusive and accessible running experiences, empowering all to achieve their potential. Learn more and contribute at nyrr. org/ donate. All right, folks, that does it for another episode of Set the Pace. We want to thank our guests today, the chief event production officer and race director of New York Road Runners, Ted Metellus. If you liked the episode, make sure you rate us five stars. Leave us a comment. We'd love to hear from you. Good luck to everybody getting ready for the RBC Brooklyn Half. Congrats again to everyone out there who took on and conquered Boston. It was great to see so many New Yorkers up there having great, great days. We are all super proud of you here at New York Roadrunners. Keep getting those miles in. Enjoy your tapers if you're running Brooklyn and we'll see you next time.