Martinus Evans: In spite of all the troubles you might have been through, our goal is to finish anyway. I ran races where they ran out of water. I ran races where they ran out of medals and packed up and there was no finish line. And when it was all set and done, in spite of all those things, I finished anyway. I made it to the finish line. I had that goal, I set that goal and I overcame all those obstacles to get there.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hey everybody, and welcome to Set the Pace, the official podcast of New York Roadrunners, presented by Peloton. I'm your host, Rob Simmelkjaer, the CEO of New York Roadrunners, and we're back together this week. My co- host, Becs Gentry is on the pod. What's up, Becs?
Becs Gentry: Hi, we missed you last week during your CEO- ing. I don't want to put that (inaudible) . That's now a thing is CEO- ing.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, there are times, there are times when I have to go and actually be CEO and not podcast co- host. We were having an off- site with our management team last week, which was fantastic. But thank you for holding down the fort. And for such a great episode. If you haven't listened to it, go back and listen to last week's episode with Becs talking to Shaunta- Mae. It was awesome. She's such an inspirational story.
Becs Gentry: She truly, truly is. I was blessed to spend that time with her, as with all of our incredible, incredible guests. How was your Memorial Day weekend?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, it was good, Becs. You know, I'm not running much right now, actually. It's interesting. I'm in a little bit of a running break. I get a couple miles here, a couple miles there.
Becs Gentry: Nice.
Rob Simmelkjaer: But coming into this summer, having run two marathons since last fall, I was like, " Let me get back into some things I missed." So, I played some tennis this weekend, which was great. Spent some time at the pool, a lot of kids stuff. My kids are coming over to hang out with their friends, go swimming. My daughter had a very impromptu little party with her friends on Sunday night.
Becs Gentry: You're such a cool dad.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, I'm like the guy with the fun house now, the pool. So, the kids are coming over and then (inaudible) -
Becs Gentry: Can I come over?
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... comes over. Yes, you can. Come on over. Let's get you guys up here. And so it's fun, but then sometimes it gets a little bit crazy with the teenager. So, I was up a little later than I planned Sunday night with five teenage girls running around my house, but it was a good weekend.
Becs Gentry: Oh, that's how it should be though, right? Memorial Day weekend.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's what I want. I love having lots of people around, so it was a great weekend, absolutely. How about you? What do you guys got going on?
Becs Gentry: It was very, very relaxed, actually. You know what? In true New York Roadrunner representation, I went and got some miles in Central Park yesterday with Tallulah and Austin. We did a little family run around the park, which was great. I have to give a big shout- out Austin for pushing her heavy, heavy stroller all the way up Harlem Hill. Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Wow, a stroller up Harlem Hill is no joke.
Becs Gentry: Not breaking a sweat. Well, no, he was absolutely dying. Oh, with a sweat. But he was crushing the pace. And other than that, we just, Tallulah had her first soft serve ice cream with sprinkles on, her first one ever.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, magic.
Becs Gentry: Which was wild. Yeah, she was unfortunately a little unwell last night. So, I'm not sure whether that's going anything to do with the fact that we don't really give her sugar and then let her have that whole ice cream. Anyway, parenting SOS there. But otherwise it was relaxing. It was nice to see the sun came out, so it was always good. But yeah, I'm running. I'm running, but I'm not running as much as I probably should be with an upcoming marathon, but-
Rob Simmelkjaer: It comes in waves. I think we all have to have our waves of intense running and then waves of pulling back a little, letting our body rest. I've come around to just letting my body and my mind tell me what it wants. And if it wants to run 10 miles in a week, then that's what I'm going to do. And when I'm ready to ramp up to more, then that's okay. I still keep it going, still get the joy of it when I do it. So, however you do it is a beautiful thing and fits into your life however it does. So, while we've got a great episode today, Becs, one of my absolute favorite people, Martinus Evans, the founder of the Slow AF Run Club. He's an author, an advocate, someone who's made the sport of running so much more inclusive, and he's one of the featured runners in our Final Finishers documentary. A new film produced by New York Roadrunners and Tribeca Productions, which is premiering at this year's Tribeca Festival on June 12th. Martinus is going to join us in a little bit, and it's so much fun talking to him about the origins of Slow AF, his own story, how he became a runner. So, that's coming up a little bit later on the podcast. It's a great conversation. But before we get there, Becs, some more exciting news from our new content studio, which is called East 89th St Productions. By the way, for those who don't know, that's a nod to the old headquarters of New York Roadrunners up on East 89th Street between Madison and Fifth Avenue where people used to go pick up their bibs back in the day for a long, long time.
Becs Gentry: So cool.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We're very excited about this, but we also have a new podcast out as part of that production studio, and it's our first ever audio documentary. So, it's not just the interviews and the conversation that you have here on Set the Pace, but it is really a great narrative storytelling documentary podcast. It's called 850 Million Reasons to Run, and it's a five- part series that follows New York Roadrunners member Peter Kirk, who went from a life- threatening diagnosis to the starting line of the TCS New York City Marathon all in under a year. And it's an incredibly powerful honest story. Becs, I listened to the first episode during one of my brief runs last weekend, and I loved it. And I'm dying to hear, because I don't know all of his story. I wasn't involved in the production of this podcast, so I'm just a listener and I can't wait for episode two to drop, which I think will have dropped by the time this episode right here does.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, it's unreal. You all should be listening to it. Peter is an absolutely incredible human. If you don't know his story, he had acute leukemia, form of cancer. He is aiming to run 1, 000 half- marathons. Yeah, he basically runs two a week. And his story of success, his story of what is possible as a human and the goal to just succeed. But in the episode that has dropped already he talks about his cancer journey, his stem cell transplant. Success. It's a successful story, so I'm setting you up to not have too many tearjerkers. Though, if you are like me, you will shed a tear or two just for empathy, I think as well. It's beautiful and wonderfully produced, so congratulations to the East 89th Street production team.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right, Matt Singer, Katherine Jones, our team doing a phenomenal job putting that together, so very exciting. And make sure you check out those episodes. A couple more should be out when you are listening to this version of Set the Pace. All right, last but not least, Becs, we will end today's show as we always do with some important tips from Meb Keflezighi. Today's Meb Minute is all about what you should be doing to prep for a fall marathon before you officially begin your training plan. A lot of people are in that mode now where they've got a ticket booked, an entry into one of the fall marathons. Maybe it's not quite time to really get going into your training yet, so how do you prep to prep? How do you get ready for your training? Meb will take us through all that as well.
Becs Gentry: Try the Peloton app for free and access classes for every type of runner. Whether you're training for your first race or you're a seasoned pro. From outdoor runs and intervals to strength, yoga and stretching, you'll find the perfect fit for every part of your routine. Whether it's a long run day or you just need a quick five- minute reset. The Peloton app meets you where you are and helps you become a stronger, faster runner. Because it's designed for someone like you. Try the app free for 30 days and download it now from the app store or Google Play. Terms apply. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner for New York Roadrunners.
Rob Simmelkjaer: This week we are joined by Martinus Evans, a marathoner, an author and a founder of the Slow AF Run Club. And a tireless advocate who challenges what we think a runner looks like and who gets to be one. Martinus has built a global community for runners of all body types and paces, and he's helping lead a much needed shift in how we talk about inclusion in the sport. And I've had a chance to get to know Martinus quite a bit over the last couple of years through his book, and it's great to see you, and welcome to Set the Pace, Martinus.
Martinus Evans: Hey man, I'm glad to be here. Thank you for having me.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Absolutely. I've had a chance to get to know you. You've had this incredible run with your Slow AF, which stands for as Something Run Club, and your story is incredible. When I first met you, I think it was at one of your book signings. And you gave an incredible talk about your journey as a runner. Someone who, if someone walks up to you on the street, the first word that comes to mind may not be marathoner, but there you are. And can you talk about how this all happened for you? And it is documented in the film that we've got coming up, Final Finisher, which we're so excited about. You're a big part of that story. But talk about how this all came about for you as a big guy starting to run these long distances.
Martinus Evans: Absolutely, Rob. Let me take you back in 2012, think about where were you at in 2012? For me, I was working commission sales job at Men's Warehouse. I was on my feet 10 to 12 hours a day. I was a commission suit salesman. I was on my feet pretty much a long period of time. One day I ended up hurting my hip. I went to go see a doctor and this kind of spiraled into the journey we know now, sat in this doctor's office and he was like, "I know why you're in pain, because you're fat and you need to lose weight." And I said a lot of colorful four letter words that's probably not permitted on this podcast.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Did the doctor actually say fat? Did he actually fat, use the word fat?
Martinus Evans: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. That's interesting. Different, slightly different time, but hey.
Martinus Evans: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I guess he was being-
Martinus Evans: 2012, right?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, not that long ago, but okay.
Martinus Evans: But yeah, he called me fat. He told me I need to lose weight or die. He went on this whole thing of you need to start walking and lose weight and all this other stuff. And just being tired, frustrated, and A, just tired of people just counting me out. As a previous collegiate athlete, I have the determination, I have the mindset. So, I told that doctor, " I'm going to run a marathon. Forget all the things you're talking about. I'm going to go run a marathon." And he laughed at me. He didn't give me a hah, hah laugh or a giggle laugh. He didn't even give me a laugh like he's laughing with me, right? He's laughing at me.
Becs Gentry: So, talk us through it. What happened? You went and got the running shoes, and then what?
Martinus Evans: I went to go get the running shoes, Becs, and I was like, "I was going to run a marathon that day. I'm running a marathon today."
Becs Gentry: Got fired up.
Martinus Evans: There was a lot of things I didn't necessarily know about marathon running, but I was like, " I'm going to run one today." I remember telling my friends, "I'm going to go run a 5K marathon today."
Becs Gentry: Google like, how long is a marathon?
Martinus Evans: But I get the shoes and I go to the fitness center in my apartment complex, and there's three treadmills there, I remember this vividly. And two treadmills are already occupied by these two guys that I lovingly call them gazelles. Because they were tearing it up, they were tearing the treadmill. And I remember getting on the treadmill and sizing these guys up and one guy was going 10, another guy was going nine.
Becs Gentry: Wow.
Martinus Evans: And I thought to myself, " You know what, if these guys are going nine and 10, I can at least go seven." Say wrong.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, seven's not slow, seven is moving, seven's moving for you.
Martinus Evans: So, I put it on seven, the belt is speeding in between my legs and I said, " Here goes nothing." And I get on that treadmill belt and my life left before my eyes. All I remember, it was struggling and fighting for what I felt like an eternity until the world stopped and I was on the ground.
Becs Gentry: Oh, no.
Martinus Evans: I fell off the treadmill.
Becs Gentry: Oh, no.
Martinus Evans: Yes.
Becs Gentry: Oh, no.
Martinus Evans: The noise that I made falling off that treadmill was deafening. And as I'm trying to get up and make sure nobody sees me, and everybody saw me, everybody saw me. I try to get up, I grabbed my stuff. One of the gazelles looked at me and was like, " Are you okay?" And I was like, "Yeah, I just lost my balance." And I grabbed my phone and that little red light was flashing and it said 15 seconds. And I was like, " Oh, this is not a marathon." And I got up out of there. I remember walking out of the fitness center with tears in my eyes being like, " Maybe the doctor's right. Maybe I can't do this. Maybe I am done for thinking I can do this." And as I got home, I reached out to the doorknob and I have his tattoo on my right wrist and it says, " No struggle, no progress." It comes from the famous Frederick Douglass speech. And I got it a long time ago, and when I reached out to the doorknob to twist the doorknob open, I seen a tattoo and it said, " No struggle, no progress." And I thought to myself, " You know what? I got to go through the struggle."
Becs Gentry: Yeah, yeah, you do. And hold onto it and hold onto that pain and that catalyst though, I mean, we all need a catalyst. Whatever is a current roadblock in life, there's always a catalyst, but it's whether you hold onto it or whether you just shove it aside and say, " All right, I'm going to let that defeat me." And you didn't, you didn't, you gave it a go. You had that 15 seconds, it slammed you down, but you got back up, and that's it. That's the amazing, amazing side of it. Had you been on a treadmill before that?
Martinus Evans: I have, but a very long time ago. Like I said, I was a collegiate athlete, I played college football. And that was probably about five years after that. I was still nimble for my size. I can tear it up on a flag football field. But was I really working out? Was I really exercising? Nah, I wasn't.
Becs Gentry: No. Okay.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, certain football positions, your number one skill is mass. Just the size and the mass that you can bring to hitting another person. That can be an advantage in football, but later in life can become a problem and present some health challenges. So, how Martinus, did you get from on the ground next to that treadmill to actually accomplishing your objective of 26.2 miles? How did that happen? What help did you have along the way?
Martinus Evans: All the things I'm going to say, it's simple, but it's not easy to do. And what I mean by that, it really took a lot of micro steps along the way. Let's talk about the next day. I go back to the fitness center, I'm like, " This treadmill is not going to beat me." I run for 30 seconds straight, I'm like, " All right, that's good enough. I had to prove to myself that I can get on the treadmill and run." And then every day after that I would just go and just do a little bit more, like 45 seconds, try to run a minute. And then a friend told me about Couch to 5K, and I'm kind of obsessive, so I download four of them and I'm trying different voices and things that I saw and just went through the paces of Couch to 5K. And one of the things that I found out during there was that some of these Couch to 5K programs, 5K programs, wasn't necessarily meant for me, because I'll get to try to do it and then I couldn't finish the program. So, I'll try to modify it and I'll repeat the days and so on and so forth until I was able to be comfortable with that particular day. It took me about 10 to 12 weeks to be able to run my first 5K. I remember signing up for, it was a, I think it was a 5K for the September 11th firefighters, I think it was Steven Siller Foundation or something like that, Tunnel to Towers. So that was my first 5K. I ran that and from that day on I was hooked. And I was like, " Okay, if I can do this, I can train for 10K." Trained for 10K, run a bunch of 10Ks and then train for a half- marathon. And then I'll say, " Okay, I trained for a half- marathon, it's time to sign up for the big dog." And signed up for a marathon and went out there and did my thing.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And what year was that, Martinus?
Martinus Evans: I ran Detroit Marathon. My first marathon was Detroit Marathon. It was October of 2013.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right. So, that was basically about a year after that disappointment, right? Ish?
Martinus Evans: Yeah, roughly a year- ish, 18 months, somewhere around there. I met the doctor in June of 2012, and then I ran that marathon in August of 2013. Well, not August, October 2013.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Amazing.
Becs Gentry: Wow. Did you at any point on that, let's call it 14 months or whatever, no 15 months, semantics, any point think that running would become such a huge part of who you were and your identity in the future?
Martinus Evans: Absolutely not.
Becs Gentry: No?
Martinus Evans: No. I did not think that running was going to be that thing that I would do 10, 11, 12 years from then, right? And I say that, because another thing that was also happening during that time of me running, I was writing a blog that got, it was fairly popular. And then I was also getting a master's degree, so I was getting a master's degree in health promotion public health. So, there was a lot of things going on and I thought to myself that this running thing would just be something that would keep me sane while going to grad school and thinking about getting my PhD. But it became a thing that, became that catalyst that pretty much flipped everything that I did in life. And what I mean by that is, for example, some of these people, people don't even know this, right? I have a bachelor's in exercise science, the master's in health promotion, public health, and then I have a second master's in digital marketing. But here's the thing, much of the directory when I was in grad school, I forget what I was even going to do, but it wasn't what I did. I remember talking to my advisor and being like, " Hey, there is this" ... There was this conference called Fit Blogging, and it was like all these fitness bloggers got together. And I remember telling my advisor, " Hey, I think I want my master thesis to be on weight loss bloggers and readers or weight loss bloggers of these fitness blogs. I want to see are they actually losing weight? Are people who are on weight loss journeys actually doing this thing?" And I remember my advisor being like, " That does not make sense. Nobody's doing their journeys or using their fitness journeys and things of that sort." I'm like, " No, there's a conference of people who does this." And when it was all said and done, I ended up writing my master thesis on weight loss bloggers and readers of weight loss bloggers. To really understand this parasocial relationship. Like, are people actually getting the thing that they want? Are people actually getting active? Are people actually moving their body from reading these other stories? And the answer ended up being yes, right? I can't remember the research and all the stuff, but my master thesis, a couple of those ended up becoming articles that was published in scientific journals.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Amazing. It seems like these lines were all moving in the same direction in your life. Maybe you didn't know exactly where they were all pointing you towards. But you were moving in this direction to do what you're now doing with Slow AF Run Club. All right, so let's get from the finish line of that first marathon in Detroit to the start of Slow AF Run Club, and the story, Martinus, it's one of my favorite stories of what inspired you to start this club and to name it Slow AF.
Martinus Evans: Okay, so let's talk about it. Slow AF Run Club and how this thing got started. I was running a particular race, a very large race.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You could say it, you could say it, come on, we're honest here on Set the Pace.
Martinus Evans: I was running New York City Marathon, so I was running New York City Marathon. First time being, actually it was the first time me being in New York. And running the marathon and I get to the Queensboro Bridge, and I remember this bridge, because it's quiet, there's no spectators. All you hear is lost souls and moaning being like, " Ah, this bridge F this bridge. Why?" I remember getting off the bridge making that, I think it's a left turn and then there's a right turn and then you're on First Ave. And I remember being like, "I just got off this bridge and now I'm still on an incline. What is this?" And I was on the left barricade and I remember this guy pointing at me and I'm like, " Okay, you about to give me a fist pump, a banana, a beer, something?" I go to him, I run towards him and he's like, " Hey buddy, you're slow, you Slow AF know," those words. And I was like, " What?" And I remember him being like, " Go home, it's not even, you're not going to win. Just go home." We had some few church words, some colorful words that I won't say on this podcast, but I remember being like, " Why am I even wasting my breath on somebody who's on the sideline and I'm actually doing the thing?" After I finished this race, finish New York City, get my medal, I think to myself, " I'm going to create a community called the Slow AF Run Club." And it is A, like a big middle finger to him. But also knowing that during that time I've ran a few races, I know there was other people who are in the back of the pack. Starting to become good friends with some of those people in Facebook groups and things of that sort. And I was like, "You know what? I'm going to create something that us slow runners to get together and just be together and run races." That was really the ultimate goal was like, get ... I started this thing with 50 people. Get 50 of my closest running buddies that I've met online or Instagram or in a Facebook group and say, " Hey, let's get together and let's plan out races together so we no longer have to run alone. I don't want to see you at a race and be like, 'Oh, I didn't know you was here.' Let's just plan them out. What races are you running? Let's plan together, let's share hotels, and so on and so forth." And that was right before the pandemic. And then something happened, the pandemic happened, so all our races got canceled. Races was dropping like flies during that time. And these 40 or 50 people that we had in there was sad. Even myself went, " We can't run these races, where are we going to go?" And I remember reaching out to a buddy who's a race director, shout out to JT. And I was like, " Hey, I think I want to put on this race. Can you help me find a medal, the strip gird things of that sort?" He put me in contact with a medal distributor and we created a medal. And my first, I put on a virtual race and it was called the Slow AF Social Distancing Shuffle. I put on this race and I remember with the race medals I had to buy a minimal of 100 medals. I'm thinking to myself like, " Oh my God, I spent so much money who are going to buy these medals?" And I put it out there in the interwebs and 10, 000 people signed up for this virtual race.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I'm sorry, what Martinus? Ten what?
Martinus Evans: 10,000 people signed up for this virtual race?
Becs Gentry: Yes, thank you. Yes.
Martinus Evans: Yes.
Becs Gentry: It's a lot more medals that you needed to buy though, I'm sorry about that part.
Martinus Evans: You think.
Becs Gentry: Wait, so how much is a virtual medal?
Martinus Evans: So yeah, I then had to go back to the manufacturer and get more medals and things that 10, 000 people signed up for that, and literally overnight we went from a community of 50 people to 10, 000 people who were just sticking around and be like, " Hey, when's the next one? I wanted a little medal, you got more things, your turtle mascot is amazing." And we'll just put on more virtual races. And then became just putting on virtual races to people actually coming in and asking for helping support like, " Hey, what running shoes are you running in? Do you run for speed or distance first? I'm hungry while I'm running. Do I supposed to eat?" I think one of the biggest questions was, " Do you eat while you run? How do you eat and run? I don't never see the professional athletes eat and run. Is that a thing?" I would literally be in the community answering all these questions, answering all these questions, " No, I would say run for distance first, then speed. You should eat these things, you should do all these things." And from there it kind of went from that to like, " All right, let's build out an app for this thing." And then from the app it became, all right, I'm answering these questions and most of these questions are the same question, so let's write a book.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And you did write a book. And that book has been, from what I can tell, a big success, because every time you show up at the run center or the expo with that book, people are lined up to get signed copies of it. And talk about the impact that book has had, Martinus. Have you seen this movement that you started to get people like you who are atypical runners, big bodies, whatever's bringing them to running? Have you seen a change in this movement you started of Slow AF Run Club?
Martinus Evans: Rob. Yes. First things first. At the point of this recording right now where this thing is being recorded, that book has sold 35, 000 copies.
Becs Gentry: Oh, my gosh.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's amazing.
Martinus Evans: Let that sink in.
Becs Gentry: Congratulations.
Martinus Evans: 35, 000 copies. So yes, I think that, not even think, I know that this book is definitely starting a movement for people who do not see who they are in the running industry, do not read about themselves in the running industry or even just feel left out. I think about myself when I started running back in 2012. There was not a book out there written by somebody like me. Most running books are written by elite athletes or coaches of elite athletes showing their method on how to get these elite athletes moving, right? When I started-
Becs Gentry: Not for the everyday person.
Martinus Evans: Not for the everyday person.
Becs Gentry: No.
Martinus Evans: When I started Couch to 5K, as I stated earlier, there were some days where I needed to repeat. I could not just run through Couch to 5K throughout from day one to day whatever. I had to repeat days. So, there was a lot of things that I learned along the way that I wish I just had somebody to tell me. And now that this book is out I'm fulfilling that mission. And you can definitely see it when people are out in the streets or I'm at a race expo or on Facebook or on Instagram, or even on a racecourse where people are like, " Hey, that book has inspired me." " Hey, you have provided information that nobody has said before." " Hey, thank you, because you are literally saying the things that I'm too afraid to say out loud." And that was my goal, and I definitely succeeded with that.
Becs Gentry: You did, astronomically, unreal. The name Slow AF is synonymous with acceptance, with welcoming and with success. Honestly, it's just, I think of all of the All- Runners and whenever I've met runners who rep Slow AF, they are so proud to talk about their successes from the, and I'm sure you've had millions of people telling you through all the various forms of communication we have these days, " I'm not a runner, I don't know where to start help, what do I do? I want to be able to move like you, how do I start?" And so, obviously, it's in your book, but how do you inspire people who were perhaps in a similar situation to where you were at leaving that doctor's office and just being like, " No, no, you're not going to be right. I'm going to be right and my right's going to be awesome, and it's going to be for me."
Martinus Evans: Becs, one of the things that I do that I think I'm pretty great at is providing psychological safety. I think where people who are in the back of the pack, I think about people who are plus size, the world has beat upon us. The world is not necessarily a nice place for a plus size person. The world is not necessarily a nice place for a slow runner. And I think that for me it's providing that psychological safety to say, " You belong here. I know you've been through some stuff, but when you with us when you with me that stuff is not tolerated. And we're going to celebrate the things that people have told you not to celebrate. Those are the things that we're going to go hard on celebrating. Because those are the micro steps and the micro habits and the micro successes that's going to keep you in the running industry." And that's more or less how I see myself. Is this liaison for the running industry, because as the years goes on, you want more people inside of the industry and I think I can do that by A, providing that psychological safety where most people won't.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, agreed.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Martinus, I can't, and Becs, I can't think of anyone who has had a bigger impact on the running industry than you have, Martinus, in a lot of ways since I've been around here in this space and paying attention to it. Because I mean, this is so much of what we talk about at New York Roadrunners and when we talk about things like Final Finishers, which we're going to talk about in a second, keeping our finish line open until the wee hours. I mean, it's for these people, it's for you, for your club members, for the people just like you so that they can see a place for themselves. You can't see a place for yourself if you can't get to the finish line before it's closed. And don't get a medal for all the effort that you put in. And so, that's so much of what animates all of this for us. How many members do you have now in Slow AF?
Martinus Evans: Close to 40,000 people. We got about, I would actually say more, because we have about 40, 000 people inside the app and then there's another 20,000 in a Facebook app, I mean, Facebook group, and there's also some unofficial Slow AF Run Clubs out there that has a few hundred thousand members in there. So, Slow AF Run Club is growing legs and just, it's one of those things that for me it's like, " All right, it's now, it was my baby and now it's one of the things that giving out to the world." But I would say official members, we've got about 40, 000 people.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, it's unbelievable.
Becs Gentry: But you're right, people need to see representation, and this is not a new thing, this is not a new thing in any realm of life. But for the running community, because closing courses, not giving people medals, that is a dire representation of what running is about. And the medal is not just a medal for the day as well. And I think it's for you running that first marathon from June 2012 to October 2013, that medal was for that whole time. It wasn't just for that day when you finish that marathon. And to take that away from people just because of time and number is vicious in my personal opinion. And it's not, seeing that your group is growing so much and you are just welcoming so many more people into this running world, that fills my heart, makes me emotional, because for somebody in the position I'm in, I get to coach people of all levels. And that is one of the greatest pleasures I get in life, outside of being a parent. It's to see the people starting their journey. And I know you feel this in your heart because you've gone through it of the pride that they are able to do this for themselves. And so, to those growing 40,000 plus members, flood in, get that turtle, get that turtle logo everywhere, please.
Martinus Evans: It's just one of those things that I'm very proud of, right, to say that it's something about that journey of you meet someone and they are so not confident in themselves, like they're unconfident, they don't don't know if they can be a runner, they're like, " I don't know," so on and so forth. And just providing that little inkling of fire and I see it almost as fire building. You got this little ember and you're trying to foster this ember and provide it the adequate fuel and air and next thing it become this raging fireball. And I think that's how I see running and that's how I see these people who come into the Slow AF Run Club or our new runners who are just looking for something to hold onto.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Absolutely. All right, we're going to talk about Final Finishers a little bit. Martinus is one of the runners who is featured in our first ever documentary at New York Road Runners through our new production arm East 89th St Productions. It's called Final Finishers. It will premiere in June on June 12th at the Tribeca Film Festival. We're so excited about that. And Martinus, your story is so fantastic in this film. You go through the story you've just told us, but really the film is about that party at the finish line of the TCS New York City Marathon and the way that we celebrate those people coming in in 9, 10, 11 hours. Can you talk about being a part of this film and what that Final Finishers party and what it all means to you and to the other members of your club?
Martinus Evans: Absolutely. I think being a part of the film is A, one thing, a step in a direction to just get more people excited about running. To get more people excited about participating in marathoning. I think that's the first thing, especially when you look at other documentaries, from other running documentaries, I think this will definitely help out with that. I think for me, being a part of it really helps with A, helps validate my story, my journey, the things that I've been doing these past 10, 11 years to show, okay, it is validated, right? But I also think it validates everybody else's story who sits in the back and who are silent. To be able to be part of a New York City Marathon and sit there and be in the back and party along all the streets. And then you think to yourself like, " Okay, maybe I'm going to get to the finish line and nobody's there." And it's like, " No, there's a party here. We're calling your name, we're giving you high- fives. There's a celebration tunnel." And it's one of those things of being out there for 10, 11, even 12 hours and you almost feel like, " I have nothing left to give." And then you make that turn around that corner and everybody's there and it's like, " This is what it was all meant for." Because you think about all of the times that your mind has told you to quit. I think for me, I think about that time where that person told me to go home. All these times where like there's doubt and you're fighting that doubt and you get to the finish line and people are celebrating, that is what it's all about.
Becs Gentry: Really and truly is. That celebration, that love, that wow. I cannot wait to see this whole documentary. Why, obviously, it's the inspiration. But how on a daily basis do you feel that you show up, and deal with sounds like a negative word, but you know what I'm saying? How do you shoulder this responsibility of being such a voice of inclusion and inspiration for runners out there?
Martinus Evans: I would say that A, it's a great feeling, but B, for me, it's also bigger than running. I've been fortunate enough to make a career as a professional speaker and motivational speaker to go out in various locales like corporations, various conferences, to also be able to share my story and give that story of overcoming odds, and doing hard things and believing yourself, right? That message like, yes, we're talking about running, but that message is so generalized that it tackles everybody. And I think that for me running is that conduit, but my message is helping people finish anyway. And in spite of all the troubles you might have been through, in spite of all the things you may have been through, our goal is to finish anyway. For me, Rob talked about it, I've ran races where they ran out of water, I ran races where they ran out on the medals and packed up and there was no finish line. And when it was all said and done, in spite of all those things, I finished anyway. I made it to the finish line, I had that goal, I set that goal and I overcame all those obstacles to get there. For me it's about helping people understand that they can finish any way in all aspects of life. Yes, it can be running, but yes, it can be at your office, it can be at work, it can be at home. We all have obstacles that are standing our way, and we're just all trying to finish anyway.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it. I love it. It's a metaphor for life as Roadrunners, as running so often is. All right, so the last great challenge you've taken on in life, Martinus is to me the ultimate challenge, having done it myself, which is fatherhood. And you are now knee- deep in that journey as a father to your six- month- old Max. Talk about that, what that has been like, and how has what you've learned through running and through everything you've achieved and the challenges you've overcome, how has that played into your so far brief, but getting into a journey as a father?
Martinus Evans: Rob, I used to tell people, " Running a marathon was the hardest thing I ever did in my life." And then I ran eight of them, and it was going to be nine of them this year. And I used to say that until I became a father. Being a father is the hardest thing that I ever had to do in my life. But those principles, those first principles when it comes to running is still there when it comes to fatherhood, staying curious, staying patient, knowing that there's going to be small wins along the way, but there's still going to be a lot of bumps and obstacles along the way. And our goal is to get this baby boy to the finish line. So yes, those are how running and fatherhood helps me. But I think the other thing is just being able to see this little guy learn new things among the world every day. Today he just rolled over for the first time and I was like, " This is crazy, right?" Seeing him struggle and seeing him moan and groan and the next thing you know he flipped over and it's like, "You did it, you did it, you did it." It's almost like coaching, right? It's almost like coaching this little AF Run Club member. " You can do it, you can run that mile. I got faith in you." And just being able to see those micro moments every day. Because he's learning, he's growing, he's experiencing the world every day. And for me it just shows like A, how precious life is, but B, how all the things I've learned throughout running can be translated to other parts of life.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, it's so true. And it can be more of a testament to we're meant to do everything at our own speed. When you have a kid you see that, because there are books upon books about, " Your child should be hitting this milestone at this point." And as a parent you're reading them and you're freaking out if they're not. And then you speak to, in my personal opinion, someone of an older generation who just goes, " Put the phone down, put the book down." Your child is fine and they are going to progress and develop at their own speed. And those people in my world are probably the same as, you should know that, everybody moves at their own speed. And you're like, " Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. Yes, running is just so applicable to everything in life." Even a teeny tiny baby rolling over is like, " Dude did that at his own pace." Oh, it's so beautiful. Congratulations to you both on Max, and being a parent in this world is nuts. Yeah, I'll say is good luck on your next train cycle, because it's going to look really different. Those stroller miles, man, you'll be signing up for high rocks before you know it, you'll be like, " I can push these sleds anywhere."
Martinus Evans: I'm training for New York City this year and I was thinking to myself like, " Oh my god, June is coming up fast." And it's like, " Oh, these miles is going to be stroller miles." And I'm like, " I don't know how I'm going to get this done, but we're going to figure it out."
Becs Gentry: You will. You'll figure it out. It'll be, nothing will match. Seeing his cute little face wherever you see him on race day, nothing will match that as well. Even if you are in the depths of agony, it'll all be worth it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Martinus, can't wait to see you at the finish line of the marathon this year with your baby boy. Hopefully they're waiting for you. Can't wait to see you at the premiere of Final Finishes as well in June. It's been amazing talking to you, one of my favorite stories in the sport of running what you've done with Slow AF Run Club. So, thanks for hanging out with me and Becs for a little while today and we will see you very soon, Martinus Evans.
Martinus Evans: Alrighty.
Rob Simmelkjaer: New York Roadrunners is a non- profit organization with a vision to build healthier lives and stronger communities through the transformative power of running. The support of members and donors like you helps us achieve our mission to transform the health and well- being of our communities through inclusive and accessible running experiences, empowering all to achieve their potential. Learn more and contribute at nyrr. org/ donate. And now it's time for today's Med Minutes.
Meb Keflezighi: Pre- training base. Building a strong base with consistent training or running before starting a structure training is very important. Follow a graduate training plans 16 to 20 weeks to increase endurance safely. Focus on nutrition, hydration, and recovery to support peak performance. Invest in a proper running shoes and gear to prevent injuries and enhance comfort. There's always a reset button. It depends when you're getting ready for your next race when to start off. For me personally, when I finish one marathon, I'm not going to start from scratch. You already were fit, but you need to be able to recover and map out when the next race is going to be and then start building up a base before and then to progression run, and then eventually to race pace and before you start doing intervals. So, it is important to lay out the plan, personally I like to work from that deadline and work backward, instead of saying, " Hey, what is this week and next week?" Don't do that yourself. Sign up for a race, bring the fitness back where you were. If you start from scratch, like I said earlier, you need maybe 16 to 20 weeks, but if you have just finished a marathon, recover and start building up a base, bring this fitness back to where you were. And don't rush it, because if you were in a phenomenal shape or you finished a marathon, you just need to retrieve those fitness, so don't put too much pressure over on yourself. So, have fun and go out for a run and bring that fitness back to what it should be and you're going to do great.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And that does it for another episode of Set the Pace. I want to thank today's amazing guest, Martinus Evans. If you like this episode, please go ahead, subscribe, rate, or leave a comment for the show on whatever platform you're listening on. This not only helps us, but it helps others find the show as well. Enjoy the miles, everybody. We'll see you next week.