Juan Uro: Many people are putting a lot of emphasis on whether they can achieve something or not. But I would say that the pursuit of excellence or the pursuit of something extraordinary sometimes can be much more rewarding than the achievement of something extraordinary.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hey everybody and welcome to another episode of Set the Pace, the official podcast of New York Road Runners presented by Peloton. I'm your host, Rob Simmelkjaer, the CEO of New York Road Runners, my friend and partner, Becs Gentry. She's on her way back from a trip to Los Angeles so we'll be missing her today, but looking forward to a reunion with Becs and me on the show next week. In the meantime, what a weekend we had last weekend at New York Road Runners, the largest ever MasterCard New York Mini 10K in Central Park with 9, 973 women athletes finishing that race on a muggy but runnable day in Central Park. It was such a special day, man, we just love that race at New York Road Runners. There's nothing like seeing 10,000 women streaming down Central Park West into the park and finishing that race. I know for all of them, all of you out there who run that race, I hear it year in and year out, it is one of the most special running experiences that you have. And so, so happy that it was such a great day for all of our great women out there running the MasterCard New York Mini 10K. The winner, Hellen Obiri, the 2023 United Airlines NYC Half and TCS New York City Marathon champ, she captured the open division title with a blazing time of 30 minutes and 44 seconds. The runner- up may have been just as big a story, Weini Kelati ran a new American event record at 30 minutes and 49 seconds. She was right there with Hellen Obiri all the way until about the last say quarter mile. She really gave Hellen a run for her money. Susannah Scaroni won a record- breaking six MasterCard New York Mini 10K title in the Wheelchair Division with a new event record. And it was the largest girls run in history, that's right, the biggest attendance we've ever had for the mini kids run, more than 508 to eight to 18- year- old girls took to the streets to run on Saturday. It was well, it was a really, really special day. All right, coming up on this week's episode, it's Father's Day week and boy, there's no holiday I love more than Father's Day. I always say fatherhood it's the toughest but best job I've ever had so Happy Father's Day to all of the fellow dads out there listening. Really appreciate you and hopefully all the people in your life give you a special, special day this coming weekend. We've got a very special Father's Day conversation with one of our New York Road Runners board members, Juan Uro, who like Becs recently completed seven marathons on seven continents in seven days. Juan and I will talk about some of the meaning behind his running those marathons and countless other marathons over the course of his life. All so much of it really done in honor of the son that he lost, Bautista. We'll talk about that and fatherhood and everything that Juan has learned from a life of running and his incredible accomplishment in the World Marathon Challenge. And then, later on in the show we'll have New York Road Runners member and non- binary champion Galo Vasquez, and then coming up with this weekend's Flushing Meadows Kids run at the Citizens Queens 10K, that's all coming up on Saturday. We've got a special Med Minute with HSS, that's the hospital for special surgery and we're going to feature a sports physical therapist for young athletes, Yukiko Matsuzaki will join us as well.
Speaker 3: Try the Peloton app for free and access classes for every type of runner, whether you're training for your first race or you're a seasoned pro. From outdoor runs and intervals to strength yoga and stretching, you'll find the perfect fit for every part of your routine. Whether it's a long run day or you just need a quick five- minute reset, the Peloton app meets you where you are and helps you become a stronger, faster runner because it's designed for someone like you. Try the app free for 30 days and download it now from the App Store or Google Play, terms apply. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner for New York Road Runners.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Today on Set the Pace. I'm joined by my friend and one of our New York Road Runners board members, Juan Uro. Juan is a partner at EY- Parthenon advising global CFOs and CEOs on strategy and finance, but he's also a passionate marathoner, so passionate that earlier this year he channeled a little Becs Gentry magic by completing the World Marathon Challenge running yes, seven marathons on seven continents in seven days. Juan races in memory of his late son Bautista and he now shares finish line moments with his wife, Mariela and daughter Isabella and we're so glad to have Juan here on the show. Juan, welcome to set the pace and congratulations on being yet another person to complete this unbelievable challenge of seven marathons on seven continents in seven days.
Juan Uro: Thank you Rob, so great to be with you today. And you think there were only one crazy person with Becs, but there's many of us I guess, or at least a handful.
Rob Simmelkjaer: There's enough to keep a couple of these races going every year. I was fortunate enough to follow along with your races. We had a little chat, some board members, some former Road Runners executives there cheering you on. And I guess I just have to ask first and foremost, what drove you to do that? I always have to ask the question of what drives someone to sign up for a challenge like that?
Juan Uro: Interesting. I think there wasn't necessarily one trigger event but a multiplicity of factors. I will start with, Rob probably you don't know but you have a big part and NYRR have a big part because the first time I found out about this seven marathons in seven continents in seven days was in the New York Marathon Expo in 2023. And literally in my role in the board I always pay special attention for partners and activation and how good people are having experiences in the Expo so I literally visit all the stands. And I saw this booth about this challenge and it's always free T- shirts are a good thing so they gave me the T- shirt, they got my email address and I left the Expo thinking, " Okay, you never know. That's a crazy idea, I couldn't do it." I put that idea to sleep, I wore the T- shirt a couple of times. But then in April of '24 I was going to run the Boston Marathon and my company had an off- site in London the week after, full week. So, in talking with my wife, it was her birthday, we said, " Hey, why don't we go to London for the weekend? By the way, we can celebrate your birthday and by the way, there is this small race called the London Marathon. If you're okay, I'm going to try to run it." So, I asked NYRR to see if there was a possibility and I ended up getting into the London Marathon. So, without really thinking too much, it became two marathons in one week. And then, I came back to that seven and said, " Hey, this was difficult but not impossible so who knows? Two marathons in one week is very different than seven marathons." But I started to take it a little bit more seriously. And along the summer of 2024, yeah, 2024, I decide to really learn more about what it will take to do the race. So, a couple of people who have done it before, they gave me a couple of hints. So, I was supposed to try at least a week of multiple runs of 15 to 20 miles. Guess what? The second day that I tried that first day 20 miles, second day I was in Central Park and I ran into this guy that was running seven marathons in seven days for climate advocacy. I have run in Central Park for 20 years I never saw a guy trying seven marathons in seven days so it was like, " There's too much serendipity here, there's too many connecting aspects." So, I ended up catching up with the fellow, asked him a little bit of a couple of tips how he prepared, and then when I shared a little bit of my running resume, which is not impressive but at least there's a lot of miles certainly, he said, " You are ready." So, I committed to do it. I was supposed to run the race that actually Becs ran because there's two different organizations that do that but because of-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, back in November.
Juan Uro: Yeah, exactly November. But because of work I couldn't really get off and take a week off in November to do that. So, the other company that organized it was sold out in 2025 so I was going to do it in 2026. So again, put a little bit the commitment to rest because who knows it will be 12 months from the time being, I ended up running New York and the Philly Marathon. And after I ran Philly was like tough year, put a lot of miles to prepare for this and there's still 12 months to do it. So, we ended up going to Argentina where I was born for Thanksgiving break. And after I landed into Argentina I got a note saying, " Hey, one of the runners got hurt. There's an opening in five weeks, will you think about it?"
Rob Simmelkjaer: Wow.
Juan Uro: And I said to my wife, " It cannot get better than that." It's like after 12 hours moving from cold weather to hot weather, that's the whole experience so I committed to do it. So again, it was a little bit of a process of signal, so to speak, between the Expo, the fact that again, Boston and London became a little bit of a fortress, running into a person in Central Park and gave me a little bit of the confidence, and then again this trip to Argentina and it was exactly the perfect day to get a note like that. So, it doesn't speak necessarily of the underlying factors but it was not a dream come true that I wake up one day, it was a little bit of a series of, as I said, signals that moved me into that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, signal followed by the fateful email that had you up and ready to do it in five weeks, which is impressive. So, before we get into those seven races, I want to take a step way back, Juan like a flashback at a movie to the origins of your running and how it all really started for you. Your bio on the World Marathon Challenge webpage talks about the fact that you began running a little later in life. What was it that really got you running in the first place?
Juan Uro: Yeah, I think I should edit that because probably what I would consider these days as more cold running I took it very late in life. But it started back in high school year and it was not really running it was a little bit of jogging, but I think in my senior year in high school I had a pretty severe foot sprain and I needed to use a cast for a couple of months. And look, I played different sports as a kid, only recreational but nothing competitive but I wasn't good at any of those.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You're from Argentina so soccer must've been in the mix somewhere.
Juan Uro: Yeah, soccer is a must but definitely I was pretty bad. But I was very consistent in being bad at tennis, at basketball, at rugby so I tried everything and confirmed that I was bad at everything. But anyway, after that injury I probably gained like 15 or 20 pounds and you are in your late teenager years. So, running became, I think I remember it was three loops into a square of half a mile, so a mile and a half and I was doing it two or three times per week and just to be in shape or to look better, honestly. It was a simple physical health aspect in my early 20s and as I said, only two or three times per week, but it was still running. Then with my wife, we got married, emigrated to New York in the early 2000s and I heard about this small race called the New Year Marathon. So, at that point it was like, " Hey, we may be in New York only for two or three years, what an interesting challenge." A, to do a marathon, never in my life I did more than maybe 10K at that point. And if you are going to do a marathon, do the marathon, the New Year one. So, it became a little bit of less about physical looks or physical wellbeing but more a little bit of goal setting for yourself a challenge, an opportunity of something that maybe I was going to do only once in my lifetime. So, I did a little bit of the preparation. Looking back to the plan that I did, it was completely unprepared, maybe 16 or 17 miles was my longest run, 30 miles in total. If at some point you go to the archives and you see some of the photos in the village in 2004 I was frozen, I didn't know about wearing layers. My running shoes were all tennis shoes, I couldn't afford, honestly, we were students and living on very basic means. But I did it. And I had an amazing time, not in terms of clock time but in terms of fulfilling a personal goal. And as you know once you run a marathon some people are very happy, some people say, " I could have done a little bit better," so tried the lottery many times. I think after three times of declining there was a little bit of the policy of getting there in four years so in 2008 I did the marathon again. But that second phase overall, Rob it was casual 30 miles per week and as I said more as a way to relieve stress from work and as a way to have work- life balance and good sense of accomplishing something. So, a little bit more of a mind and a spiritual wellbeing.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. And your time in New York one ended up not just being a short time, you stayed in New York quite a while and obviously you ended up in a third phase of running, which is the one I think in which we currently find you as a really serious runner. And I know part of that relates to some tragic things that happened in your life with your son Bautista and losing him.
Juan Uro: Yeah, so you are spot on. I think the third maybe I'm still in that phase of running was we were blessed with a son Bautista, we call him Bauti in 2004. And that's also the reason why I was only running 20, 30 miles, you have a kid, you have work responsibilities but it was still part of my life. But in 2010, Bauti passed away when he was six years old. And he was our only child, he was the focus of our entire lives so it was truly, truly devastating for both my wife and for me. We each cope in a different way, we all grieve in a different way, but for me it was honestly very difficult to get off bed and keep living. So, in running I found almost an excuse, a reason at least almost every morning to get off bed and move forward. I heard once life is a little bit of like riding a bicycle, to stay on balance you just need to move forward. And even in the darkest days honestly Rob, lacing my shoes, getting outside even for a couple of miles was helping me find the motivation to stay alive. So, from that moment on became a little bit of a habit, a spiritual habit of making me continue living and trying to pursue a good life, a worthy life. I always go back to this point of connecting with Bauti through my running but I always go back when I'm in tough situations of saying, " I need to live a life that is worth his memory and his honor." And I think part of running has been of that, of finding a healthy life, physical balance but also mental balance. And a couple of folks were able to gave me a spot in the 2010 New Year Marathon, our common friend, Mary Wittenberg was very gracious of not knowing me understanding the story and she gave me a spot. And that's the first run that I did with his name and his image on his face, not seeking anything, purely feeling like he was going to be along with me on that run. And the amount of cheering that it was along the way of, "Go Bauti," made me realize this is much more than just having him in my chest for my own benefit like listening, and many people will never hear his story but even seeing his face and naming his name. The majority of the parents they have very proud moments throughout every day or every week, and to me that continues to be one of my proud moments of people cheering him and finding that connection. So, that first race was very special. I think I truly burst in tears when I crossed that finish line versus in 2004 it was just a marathon and this was a signal for life. And from that moment on almost every marathon I run with the same shirt. Of course it's getting pretty washed out already so I think we need to find a new one. But it became a signal and a way to connect with him through those moments.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It must be incredible for you to hear that, to experience that while you're running a marathon. I have never lived through what you and your wife have lived through, I can only imagine what that's like. But to hear those cheers for him, it must make you feel for a moment that he's there, that he is alive, that he's with you. And you talked about having him with you in this World Marathon Challenge as well and the challenge that you took, you spoke about feeling like he was there running those races with you.
Juan Uro: Yeah, I'll tell you, I know when I'm in pain in a marathon, I feel it's nothing compared to the pain that he endured during the last moment in his life. It's pretty sad to say it but breaks me a little bit of again, honoring him. He went through a lot and it may sound dark but I don't mind going through the same and feeling that connection. When I have no more energy in a marathon, here comes Go Bauti at the right time and it's almost like maybe his way of giving me energy. I'll tell you that I have two low points in the seven marathons in the seven continents and you will find how strange life is but the first one was in Dubai. And in many cases when I'm a little bit lost, I play a little bit of an exercise of asking him for some advice. And I pick the first word that I see in my eyes and I pick the first letter to see if he's going to send me a message. And then I pick the second word and I try to find almost like a sentence or at least a couple of words by forming the first letter. Usually nothing is set, it's random letter so to speak. But here was in the middle of Dubai and the five letters was G- O- D- A- D, go Dad. So, what's part of me I'm saying it cannot be as random as that, it's a little bit of his way to stay spiritually with me. So again, maybe it's serendipity and lucky, but I like to think and I have no problem of thinking that there may be other ways that he's still with me giving me energy and force.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, no, I like to think that too. I think so. When I first heard that you were doing this World Marathon Challenge for some reason I wasn't that surprised because I know how you run. I mean, you definitely our number one on the New York Road Runners board I think in terms of weekly mileage. I see you in the park, I see your marathon finishes. I think since I've been here, I think you've done minimum two, maybe three marathons a year. You've had these short turnaround marathons like the Boston to London turn or you just mentioned New York to Philadelphia, so it was clearly in your legs the mileage that you needed. So, talk about showing up for the first one that was Antarctica I assume, right, the similar challenge to what Becs did?
Juan Uro: Yep.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Showing up at that first one, how did you feel? Did you feel that you had it in you confident given the short notice of five weeks that you had and would love to hear you kind of take us through the journey over those seven days?
Juan Uro: Yeah, I felt a little bit unprepared but I don't think necessarily it's a fair comment. In fact, even when I got the five- week notice, if I would have had five- month notice, my preparation would have been exactly the same because I literally ran that year up to again, Thanksgiving and I was going to, I promised my wife, " We arrive to Argentina, we will eat a lot of steaks, we'll have a lot of ice cream and a couple of good wines." And here we arrive and nothing was fulfilled because I ended up being pretty healthy. But I knew I was prepared enough. But the week before I had two doubts. First is what time I could really make. Lately I have been, I don't know, three hours and 30- minute marathon and I thought I was going to be at best for 30 in each. And the second one while I put 130 miles in two or three weeks and basically the totality of seven marathons is 180 miles or whatever the math is, call it 180, let's give or take. I still was into the unknown so I didn't know what to expect from that point of view and whether the body will be resilient enough for the last few marathons. So, I literally tried to approach it off from conservative to more risk- taker. And Antarctica being the first one I said, " Whatever time, it doesn't matter, just go and have fun." And in fact, it was 10 loops of 2. 6 kilometers and I broke it into three loops. And the last one was the victory lap, so to speak. So, the first third was okay, the second one it was enjoying the sightseeing and the third one, I was literally thinking, " This is most likely the last time that I will ever be in this continent so just enjoy it." And from that point of view, I ended up four hour and 15 or 16, slow but I didn't care, literally I had an amazing time. Again, not from a clock perspective, what a rewarding experience. So many people may be dreaming of at some point going to Antarctica, a few may have the opportunity and even fewer may actually realize that chance, and for me to run even a marathon, which I love, what an amazing moment. So, it was okay from a time perspective, the time of my life from being there and from that moment it started to move into a little bit better times up to the point in Dubai. So, that's a little bit of the preparation and call it the first Antarctica time.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So, take me through the end, take me through, and to me the travel is always the thing that I just can't fathom how people are able to do this to run these marathons, take these flights, get back, recover from them, do it again. I just don't know how the body can withstand that combination of things. Which was the hardest one for you, Dubai, was that your low point?
Juan Uro: That was the first low point because Dubai was marathon number four and literally from Antarctica we went to Cape Town, that was marathon number two, but nobody was able to sleep almost in that flight. So, most people ended up with two marathons in call it 36 hours with no sleep in between. But then we went to Australia, we slept a lot and then back to Middle East and Dubai and people slept a lot. But I was placing myself pretty nice until I did a mistake in the course, get pretty upset with myself, came back, lost a little bit with the group that I was running. And then, I felt a little bit depleted, not physically but I was not eating well between the marathons. So, the body really realized at that point that I wasn't having fuel enough. And even mentally it was like, " Holy cow, I have done already three marathons, but I'm just half of the full journey." So, if I feel tired, I just literally only have done half of what I'm supposed to do. So, I think between that mental aspect, the lack of food, it wasn't lack of sleep on that one, it brought me down in the last couple of loops. I ended up being four hours or four hours and one minute, so it wasn't-
Rob Simmelkjaer: 4:02, 4:02 pretty good. Yeah.
Juan Uro: Yeah, but I was pacing at 3: 50, but the real toughest time was marathon six in Brazil, we were at 90 or 95 degrees, it was four loops. And the third loop, I was feeling pretty good until I didn't have it anymore, I was overheated. I literally called my wife, it was five o'clock Brazil time, seven o'clock I think New York or something or the other way around. I called her pretty early and I said, " I'm done." And she was like, "What do you mean you are done? You are going to finish this thing." She's an amazing in terms of giving me corrections and support when I need it. And I was like, " Yeah, no, I'm going to walk at least," but it was the first time that I couldn't really even jog like I was toasted. And one of the doctors, we have two doctors through the journey, and for some reason they ended up connecting with me and a couple of other folks that we run together so they were always doing at least one loop with us. So, one of these doctors from Boston, he saw me in one of the mid- points and he said, " Let's do it, let's go." He carried me a little bit in the last loop but as I said, I was totally, totally exhausted, depleted, emotionally, physically, I couldn't have any more of energy to do that one.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, it seems like that South American one can be tough for a lot of people. You were in Brazil, Becs did hers in Columbia also on a very hot day. And we all know heat is difficult to deal with when you're running marathons at all, when you're running your sixth marathon in six days, I just cannot even fathom. But you bounced back nicely for the final leg in the United States. Was that Miami?
Juan Uro: That was Miami, yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah.
Juan Uro: We started at-
Rob Simmelkjaer: 4:14, pretty good.
Juan Uro: One o'clock in the morning or something like that it was supposed to be six o'clock or seven in the morning. That's the thing is we ended up being so ahead of schedule that I think the person that was the fastest, Tomomi, a Japanese runner, I think she crushed the world record if I'm not mistaken of from the first marathon to the last one, she ended up in five days and 19 hours. So, for me being one hour slower, I did five days and 20 hours, but literally we save one full day. And I could tell you I could have had a couple of nice dinners and sleep a couple more hours in those. But yeah, we started midnight or something like that and by four or five o'clock in the morning I finished, called my wife and said, " I just booked a flight, I should be there in five hours." There was a little bit of a reunion and a little bit of celebration and I had an amazing time with many runners. But after 10 days, I was missing the family so much that jumped on the first flight back to New York and I was midday back in the city.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So, what have you learned from doing this? What did you learn as a runner, Juan in terms of you as a runner and what you can do and what you want to accomplish in your running life? And then more importantly, what have you learned as a human from taking this on?
Juan Uro: Yeah, I'll start with the human one and at work, many people that work with me, I always said nothing is impossible. And I know it sounds like a little bit of a cliche but the reality is there's very little things that are truly, truly impossible. I think encountering a challenge like this the first thing will be, " Yeah, it's impossible." And as I said, when I saw it in the Expo it was like, " Ah, interesting idea, I don't think I can do it." But then, it may be lingering in your mind and then you start thinking about it and become a little bit less impossible and eventually a little bit less impossible. So, point being, if you put your heart, if you put your mind, if you put your dedication, it's unbelievable how much you can accomplish professionally or personally, whether it's in a sport, in endurance or whether it's in any capacity that you want to do. And the second thing I would say even from that learning is even if you don't accomplish it, I think you come up as a better person or at least with personal growth. And that's the whole point of any of these attempts like many people are putting a lot of emphasis on where they can achieve something or not, but I would say that the pursuit of excellence or the pursuit of something extraordinary sometimes can be much more rewarding than the achievement of something extraordinary. So, that to me is the lesson almost at the personal level. In terms of running, I don't know, I don't have goals on running. For example, I don't count the number of marathons that I have done incredibly enough, literally I don't know how many I have.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I was going to ask you because it's got to be up there. I mean, I was wondering if you had that count, but you don't even know.
Juan Uro: No, I always say I answer in Spanish and I say cincuenta and cincuenta means 50 but also means sin cuenta, without counting. So, it's kind of a funny way to answer that. I know it's more than 50, I know it's less than 100. At some point probably I will be doing the clinical analysis to see if I ever dare to do 100, but it's not part of necessarily a challenge that I need to set for myself. But as I said, look, I think the thing that I have learned is no matter the weather, no matter the conditions, when you put the mind into it and when you put the heart into it, literally I was finishing marathons and I was like I couldn't move. I looked like the Mummy, like I was walking so funny.
Rob Simmelkjaer: (inaudible) Yeah.
Juan Uro: Yeah, exactly, exactly. And then, you jump on the plane and you have the compression socks and you may start feeling a little bit better. And then, you arrive to immigrations and you can walk a little bit better and then you get to the starting line and you start running. And it's incredible how 16 hours before you said, my body cannot take it anymore but again, the spirit. So, going back to dark times in a race or in a marathon, you may be suffering but you can still do it so that's the learning.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's Father's Day week and it's so great to say that you're a father again, you have a daughter, Isabella. Talk about your role as a father now, the role that running plays even with your family. I don't know how big your wife, your daughter, and I know you've run maybe some 5Ks together, what does it mean to you just to have that opportunity to A, run with her, but also set the example that you set for her in running these races?
Juan Uro: Yeah, I think she's proud, I haven't done this to make her proud per se. Running is in a way selfish to me and I go back to if I dedicated this to my son. But interesting, I think it was a few years ago that she came to me and literally asked me the question, " Why do you always run with Bauti's picture, why you are not having my picture?" And it was an interesting question, literally should I have a little bit of her picture? And I said, " Well, because I can run with you and I wish we would have a chance to run." And I think that get her to at least do one race. So, we ended up doing the Dash to the Finish two or three years ago and then she enjoyed. And again, she may feel excluded of the marathons in a way. I think we bond together on many sports, she plays tennis and I love going to watch almost all her matches and we play together and we bond on other activities. But at least she's still part of that running so she does a couple of those races. But also I think she understood how special was that time for me with my son, so to speak, because even when she's not sharing time with her brother, she knows about her brother. And by the way, she lives an amazing honorable life because I think my wife and I probably without necessarily putting pressure, she understood that she needs to live a life worth living, so to speak. So again, it's special when we do it once or twice a year, but she also is respectful of my time with her brother, so to speak.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's a pretty amazing Father's Day story, no question about it. And fatherhood can take a lot of different forms, everybody's got a different journey as a father. Yours has been one that's been difficult at times for sure, but really fulfilling as well and running has been a big part of it. Well, I have to ask you the board member question at the end of course, Juan, you're one of our board members, you devote a lot of your hours, resources, time, commitment to our organization helping us be the best that we can be. Why do you do it? What makes you want to give back to the organization? And your running journey, what do you think our members and others out there can learn about the role that Road Runners can play in their running journey?
Juan Uro: Yeah, look, I think if I will have the chance to serve in any organization in the entire world and I need to choose one, this is the organization. So, in a way lucky me that I was able to play that role. Number one, 10 years ago I became an American but 25 years ago became a New Yorker so it's my city. I have lived here most of my life and I love the city and any opportunity to give back to the city is incredible. Number two, running Half saved my life along the journey, it make me from the early days as I said, just to look better as a teenager to the days of finding a challenge to the days of just staying alive. And I think that that's for many people that maybe listen to the podcast or people that run our events, some they do it for physical wellness, some for mental wellness, some for spiritual. And the role that we have in making those communities accessible, our open runs, what we do for kids, it's almost an obligation to pay back to the next generation what some of us were lucky enough to live. So, that's the reason why I do it and I appreciate the opportunity of being invited by George many years ago into the board and try to make a difference every day or every week in giving back to the community in sport that has made me a better person.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Juan, thank you for a great conversation, a meaningful conversation. I really appreciate your sharing it with me, with our listeners and everybody out there. Congratulations to you for everything you've done and Happy Father's Day.
Juan Uro: Happy Father's Day to you as well, Rob and thanks for inviting me.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Today as part of our Pride Month celebrations, we're talking with a truly inspiring runner. Galo Vasquez is a SUNY New Paltz alum who has dominated New York Road Runners non- binary division. Just this year, Galo won the non- binary title at both the United Airlines NYC Half and the RBC Brooklyn Half and they hold the school record for the 8K at New Paltz. Galo trains with the Westchester Track Club and also coaches so they bring a wealth of experience to the sports.
Meb Keflezighi: Thanks, Rob. Galo, welcome to the Set the Pace podcast. How's it going today?
Galo Vasquez: Hey, it's going pretty well.
Meb Keflezighi: What a year you had. You were the top non- binary finisher at the 2025 United Airlines NYC Half and then broke the tape at the 2025 RBC Brooklyn Half. What do those back- to- back victories means to you personally?
Galo Vasquez: I got to summarize it, I just enjoy doing it. I just really love going out there and stringing together those 13 miles. And when I come away with a victory it's always like a bonus, but I just love getting out there, I love racing. So, having just the opportunity is really just to show up and give it my best, it really means everything to me. And then, the win is nice, a little extra, and I get to fortunately have a pretty stable job up here so I get to do some donations and stuff to different LGBTQ organizations and just humanitarian age for so many things that are going on with that little extra bonus that I get from the victories.
Meb Keflezighi: Great. We'll go into that a little bit more deeper, but how do you prepare for each race for the NYC Half and Brooklyn?
Galo Vasquez: How do I prepare? Let's see. So, for a while all through during college and stuff, I was doing a lot of mileage. But in recent years, in the past two to three years, I've been doing some pretty steady 30- mile weeks and just letting my body really how I feel take charge of my training. So, when I was maybe four years ago I was doing 80, 90 miles, but now I'm just doing two workouts a week, always doing strides almost every day, a lot of some calisthenics but nothing out there. Most of my runs are, or at least my workouts, are repeats of two minutes or something and sometimes some four- mile tempos, maybe some two- mile tempo repeats, yeah, and then just getting good rest
Meb Keflezighi: From competing from 8K to the Half Marathon US SUNY New Paltz profile notes that you had the school record for the 8K, 25: 03. How was the college experience running cross country and track and field influencing training for the competitive as a road racer now up to 13. 1 miles?
Galo Vasquez: Yeah, I mean, I think I learned a lot about racing and about patience because when you're in the collegiate level, I had so many people around me, it was very, very competitive and you're always kind of keeping track of who's where and what teams are coming up. But honestly, in a way running outside the college it's a little less intense in terms of being aware of who's there and who's not and all that stuff. So, you get to kind of focus a little bit more on yourself. So, I think I got used to that level of intensity early on and then it became I think a lot easier to say, " Okay, I'm going to show up to the race." There might be a lot more people at these big road races, you have thousands and thousands of people, but the race itself felt a little more relaxed like, " All right, I'm going to go out here, I'm going to hit my pace. I'm not really looking to, I don't know where I'm going to end up scoring or whatever, but I'm just going to do my best." So, it definitely prepared me and then now it feels a lot easier.
Meb Keflezighi: No, it's all about being balanced but as a full- time employee and trying to get some mileage, I know you say you're not running as many miles but how do you balance work and trying to have your own peak performance and winning those big races?
Galo Vasquez: Yeah, I would say work and my training really ... Work, my training and volunteering really frame everything I do so when I'm scheduling stuff, that's really what I'm thinking about. But I try to work here at the school, at the high school I work at I've had an assistant coaching job, and so I'll end up running with the kids after school sometimes or they'll see me right outside after the bell rings on the grass I'm doing a workout. So, I just try to make things mesh with each other as much as possible, integrate them together so that I make time for myself so I can get all my things done. Yeah, that's it, just make things integrate together. Everybody kind of knows what I'm up to around here, they know that I'm dedicated to what I do and that I take time out of my day after school to get it done. And I see people in the community, everyone's super supportive so it makes staying on the path pretty easy.
Meb Keflezighi: No, I know you alluded to as volunteering or as a visible non- binary athlete and a coach, how do you think your success and visibility helps the LGBTQ+ and other underrepresented runners?
Galo Vasquez: I would say it's a tough time for a lot of groups of people right now to feel comfortable, to feel brave, to feel like they can pursue the things they want to do in life and not be kind of overwhelmed by the barriers that come. So, I think it's really awesome to have these big races that do put some spotlights on the LGBT community that have non- binary categories 'cause it reminds people that beyond maybe one piece of your identity, you are a whole person. You have all these things to, you could be an educator, you could be a runner, you could be activist, you could be, I don't know, a small business owner. So, to learn about these people and people's stories, I think it really makes people feel like, " Oh, I can balance these things and I don't have to just be this one thing," so it's awesome, I think it really helps that.
Meb Keflezighi: Well, we're grateful for the New Yorker runs for giving us a platform to shine our talent, but do you engage in any advocacy or mentorship outside of the competition?
Galo Vasquez: Yeah, I'm a part of the Transcenders, which is a trans and non- binary running team that organizes up here. Let's see, I guess we're, it was like Ulster County area but we have a lot of members from a lot of different places. And now it's kind of hopefully becoming a tradition. We're having this track meet I think it's August and it happens up here, last year it happened in Dutchess County in Poughkeepsie. So, it was great to get people together who are people in LGBT community who just want to compete and want to feel comfortable, want to feel safe and want to come out here and get to know each other, but all for the love of competing and moving around and just having a joyful atmosphere. So, doing stuff like that is really important. And then, like I said before just when I run, it's a place for my physical freedom but I'm thinking about everything that's going on in the world. So, while I'm thinking about my races, my pace and stuff, I'm also thinking about my family, my friends and what's going on in the world where I can donate some money that I have living around, especially with the wars are going on, the blockade in Gaza, things like that, people are in a lot of need. So, that's kind of how I organize. I have some groups here too in Hudson Valley that I work with together. A lot of educational stuff, putting on just information to bring people to a center so that we can all get on the same page and work together.
Meb Keflezighi: Well, Galo, you're doing an amazing work leading the pace and then also doing some advocacy work and then they are very admired what you are doing and breaking barriers. So, keep up the great work, we're grateful for you to be here and be able to just be advocacy for this less fortunate one so keep up the great work.
Galo Vasquez: Well, thank you so much for the opportunity to have a chat.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Thank you, Galo, for joining us and for being a member of New York Road Runners. New York Road Runners is a nonprofit organization with a vision to build healthier lives and stronger communities through the transformative power of running. The support of members and donors like you helps us achieve our mission to transform the health and wellbeing of our communities through inclusive and accessible running experiences empowering all to achieve their potential. Learn more and contribute at nyrr. org/ donate. Yukiko Matsuzaki is a board- certified clinical specialist at Hospital for Special Surgery. She treats children and adolescents with a range of orthopedic and sports- related injuries, both surgical and non- surgical. Yukiko works closely with physicians and performance specialists to help young athletes recover safely and return to sport with a lower risk of future injury. She's published a handful of research papers on topics of youth runner biomechanics, knee surgeries and pediatric sports medicine.
Meb Keflezighi: Thanks Rob. Yukiko, welcome to the Set the Pace podcast, how's it going today?
Yukiko Matsuzaki: Good, good. Thanks for having me, Meb. It's so exciting to be here.
Meb Keflezighi: Delighted to have you. You specialize in treating pediatric adolescent athletes, what are some of the most common running related injuries you see at that age group?
Yukiko Matsuzaki: Yeah, sure. So, basically what makes this pediatric and adolescent athletes unique compared to the adults is that their bodies are constantly changing, meaning their bones, their muscles, their nervous system, their hormone levels, their bone density, they're all changing until they become an adult. Now, all kids go through periods of steady state growth and really fast rates of growth, which we call growth spurts, and this is really the time where a lot of kids are most vulnerable to injury. And the bones are getting longer but the tendons and the muscles which attach to the bones don't stretch out naturally. So, now we have a taller kid with tight muscles like hamstrings and calf muscles, and just because you're taller doesn't mean you're naturally stronger. So, now we have a tall kid with tight muscles and relatively weaker muscles. Sometimes these tight muscles can cause what we call growing pains, these can be what we call Osgood- Schlatter disease or Sever's disease, they're at the knee or the heel. They're called disease but not really a disease. And there's also some similar kind of injuries at the pelvis and hips that don't have very special names. And then, other times it's a combination of tight muscles and weak muscles that can result in things like front of the knee pain. And then, finally in kids, the bones are naturally softer than they are in adults, which is why we see more bone- related injuries, things like stress fractures and avulsion fractures in this population. The avulsion fractures at the pelvis and the hips is kind of commonly seen in the sprinters, not so much in the long- distance runners. I hope I answered that question.
Meb Keflezighi: Oh, you did, you did great. And how does working with a 14- year- old cross- country runner differ from treating an adult marathoner? I know you already answered it, but what should parents and coaches be aware? Because I have a 15- year- old daughter and she plays contact soccer and she still has the growth bone injury, not injury but when it impacts she feels like in pain or feel like, if it's an adult it would've been a disaster, but because it's still growing, how do you see that development or science be able to just be okay with the kids? If it was an adult, it would've been probably a fracture.
Yukiko Matsuzaki: Yeah, so this is great. So, I'll talk about the runner specifically but it doesn't always have to just apply to runners. It can apply to any young athletes that play soccer or basketball. Basically, the bone like I said, is the most vulnerable in growing kids. So, cross- country runners and even soccer players who run a lot are more likely to suffer bone stress injuries. So, we have to be mindful about the overall training load, which in runners that would be mileage, in soccer players, it could be like minutes. And when we talk about overall training load, we want to look at the week of how much they're playing in a week or running in a week. So, these things are very easily trackable with an Apple Watch or a Garmin watch, Strava, there's also the coaches are keeping track or they should keep track of how much soccer players are playing in minutes. And while we all think like weight- bearing exercises are things that are like running or standing up exercises are good for bone health, excessive amounts are not actually great, can lead to injuries. So, super important to look at the overall training program and make sure that we have number one, rest and recovery, right? As a pro runner yourself I'm sure you had rest and recovery days. You probably had cross- training days where you didn't do that sport. If you're a soccer player, you may do something else. If you're a runner, maybe you go cycling or you do swimming. It's still training your body just in different ways. Strength and conditioning is something that a lot of young athletes are missing. And then finally, sleep. How many hours of sleep you get a night is super important in young athletes' growing bodies similar to the rest and recovery. Sleep is not like a passive state of rest, it's very active in their bodies or getting rest, but things are being repaired and restored. And then finally, nutrition is super important. Again, whatever sport you play, we don't want a deficit too much of the sport with too little nutrition that it's going to lead to a deficit and something that can lead to injuries. And then finally, when the kid is going through an active period of growth, like the parents are buying new shoes every few months, new pants, they're getting taller every single night, this is when we need to modify their training program. So, less is more during this time. So, less running or less soccer, less basketball, whatever it is. But substitute like one or two days a week of that training with conditioning exercises, mobility exercises, foam rolling, stretching, whatever it is, cross- training, that can really lead to decreasing the risk of injury and also probably improved performance.
Meb Keflezighi: You're absolutely right. I know moderation in everything and our overall, whether it's mileage or minutes is so crucial. Sometimes but the kids the love is running or the love is soccer, I think the coaches have to step up to say, " Hey, you need to do cross- training or you need to rest," but sometimes difficult to do. But you are currently leading a research, adults and runners, can you share what you are exploring in the search and why it matters for young athlete's long- term health?
Yukiko Matsuzaki: Sure. Yes. So. In this study I looked at healthy uninjured runners and I just took a look at how they run. And what we found was that their running form were kind of consistent with weak hip or core muscles. They all had overstriding striking posture and a lot of the kids had pronated ankles or like an inward collapse or the ankle and the foot. Now, these things are associated with injuries in adult runners. Since in this study we did not compare the group to injured athletes, I can't say that a certain running form is related to an injury in this adolescent running group. So, that would be really the next step. So, the main finding with that was that the healthy youth runners ran differently compared to what we know is what healthy adult runners run. So, what we don't want to do as healthcare providers or someone who's doing a running analysis is to use some of these norms and numbers from what we found in the adult running literature, and I'll kind of simply apply them to the youth runners. I don't think that really would work really well and there's so many different pieces of the puzzles to kind of put together to make a youth athlete healthy. So, just looking at numbers can be really tricky. So, that's the bottom line.
Meb Keflezighi: Most importantly make them have fun so they can develop to be an adult and engage so they don't lose their passion.
Yukiko Matsuzaki: Yep.
Meb Keflezighi: And then, for young runners training for their first big race, what are some of the warning signs that we may see doing too much or too soon?
Yukiko Matsuzaki: So, too much too soon frequently happens during preseason or right after the preseason begins. Let's take cross- country as an example so that's a fall sport. So, sometime around mid- August, preseason begins. All the students are coming back from the summer, sometimes they've gone to summer camp and done completely different sports. Maybe they've been working all summer, maybe they've just kind of been lazy and hanging out over the summer. A lot of them are not in shape even for preseason. Now, preseason is pretty tough, it's meant to be pretty tough. The coaches want to get these athletes in shape so that they have a good season. So, I think it's really important that these athletes are ready for preseason. So, you almost have to have a baseline, right? You've got good sleep, you have baseline mileage for runners or fitness for soccer players, whatever, and you're just in shape. Your strength is good, you've worked out all summer. I think having a consistent schedule like you worked out throughout let's say June or July, you went to the gym and then you're ready for the preseason so that you don't crash during that course. And then, some of the main symptoms and the signs and symptoms of overtraining would be like fatigue. You're tired all the time regardless of the number of hours you're sleeping, you're tired during the day at school. We also see kids who keep getting injured or they're just not performing really well despite the amount of practice. So, those are big red flags of overtraining. So, like I said before, sometimes less is more so less running, less sports, but more time spent on rest and recovery, cross- training, conditioning, making your body ready for the sport I think is really key.
Meb Keflezighi: It is important even as an elite athlete when you bring into preseason you like you hate it because, well, you took some time off, the muscles are sore, you feel a little bit lethargic, but let the fitness come to you instead of rushing into it.
Yukiko Matsuzaki: Yes.
Meb Keflezighi: So, your points on very well taken. What are some of the changes you wish more youth running program would make to better support the injury prevention and long- term success?
Yukiko Matsuzaki: Yes. So, I think one thing that youth athletes need to incorporate is strength and conditioning. And we're talking about basic stuff like one- legged balance. Can you balance on one leg with your eyes open for 30 seconds, right? Can you do a nice squat, two- legged squat, nothing fancy, no loaded, no squat rack, crazy stuff. Can you do single- leg exercises, right? Remember, running is a single- legged workout. If you cannot balance and stabilize your body over one leg, you're not going to be a good runner. And obviously this does not go for just youth runners and will go for any runner. But I think sometimes we all focus on the sport too much and we're missing out on the basic foundation, core strength, balance, mobility, how your joints move, your ankles, your knees, your hips and then strength, so stability. Like I said, they all kind of fit together to provide a nice stable running form. And I think that's really what makes a difference, not just muscling through these races. I think the simple things really make the biggest change or the difference in your performance and how you feel.
Meb Keflezighi: Yukiko, these are amazing knowledge that you shared with us, especially with kids. They're fun contents to have, on a pillow or single- leg squat or one eye closed trying to reach for the ground and then back up, it's phenomenal. And I talk about that in Meb For Mortals is the strengthening. Sometimes we all want to do efficient running, but we forget about the small increment that helps you be a well- balanced athlete to help you carry on single- leg from 5K to the 10K to the half- marathon, full marathon. So, great job and showing this research and able to share with us. So, it means a lot and keep up the great work and thank you for being with us.
Yukiko Matsuzaki: Thank you, Meb.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That does it for our Father's Day edition of Set the Pace. We want to thank our guests today, Juan Uro, New York Road Runners member, Galo Vasquez and HSS's Yukiko Matsuzaki. If you liked the episode, please make sure you subscribe, leave us a rating, five stars of course. Send us a comment wherever you listen, this will help us and help others find the show too. Happy Father's Day everybody, we'll see you next week.