Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Because I know what this running thing did for me, it gave me cardio confidence. And that cardio confidence, is that instills this belief in you, that because I can get to the bottom of the road, because I can accomplish anything that I set my mind to in the running space, I can probably do anything outside of the running space that I set my mind to.
Speaker 3: Thank you, New York. Today we're reminded of the power of community and the power of coming together. Athletes, on your mark.
Speaker 1: The first woman to finish for the second straight year here in the New York City Marathon is Miki Gorman, a smiling Miki Gorman, and why not? 2: 29: 30, the time for Grete Waitz.
Speaker 2: Look at the emotion of Shalane Flanagan as she comes to the line. Pointing to his chest, pointed to the USA he so proudly wears across his chest. A great day for Matt (inaudible) .
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hey everybody, and welcome to a special long edition of Set the Pace, the official podcast of New York Road Runners, presented by Peloton. I'm your host, Rob Simmelkjaer, the CEO of New York Road Runners. And with me, my co- host and birthday girl this week, Peloton instructor, Becs Gentry. Becs, happy birthday, belated. How are you?
Becs Gentry: Thank you. I'm good. Year older, feeling a lot wiser, and all of that joy. I had a wonderful week, celebrate... Well, not week, I'm not the queen, but a wonderful couple of days of celebration. Rodan, it was my father- in- law's 70th birthday as well, so we had a big family party this weekend for him. So, it's been a lot of joy and good memories being made.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it. You're not getting any older, I don't care what the calendar says. You keep doing what you do and you're clearly aging in reverse. So, happy reverse birthday. Absolutely, yes.
Becs Gentry: Thank you, I appreciate it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You're welcome, you're welcome. And Becs, we're going long today with today's episode of Set the Pace. This is something that was actually in response to a lot of requests we've gotten from listeners who want a long episode to go with the long run. And so, we know a lot of folks right now are out there getting ready for the Boston Marathon, the London Marathon, the spring races that are coming up. And so this is really for them and anybody who's training for a long, long race, or if you're just in the car for a long time or have a couple hours worth of errands to run and you want some good running talk to go along with you, we're going to go for about two hours today. We got more than one great guest and we're so excited. So, we'll get to all that in just a second but this will be fun, I think, for us to have some longer conversations and give folks a chance to settle in for a while.
Becs Gentry: Absolutely, and we are so honored if you are taking us out for that long run, we're honored that we are here with you and we hope that you have some fun with us over these miles and maybe some of these conversations might shake out some nerves. There's definitely a lot of tips and tricks and moments in these conversations, all of the conversations, all of the guests that we have on this long episode. So yeah, thanks for being here with us, but we have a lot to celebrate too, actually, Rob. We have a lot of fun coming. I feel like once April kicks off, it is truly spring and there's truly all of the magic starts happening, and that kicks off for us next week.
Rob Simmelkjaer: April is so much fun at New York Road Runners and in New York. We'll talk about the running for a second, and then we'll talk about the podcast. Some of my favorite races of our year are in the month of April, because we do a lot of these kind of four- mile runs and I love the four- mile distance. So, this coming Sunday we've got the Run as One four- miler in Central Park, which is always one of my favorites. And I'm not quite sure why Becs, but actually two years in a row, for me personally, this race has been my best pace race for New York Road Runners. Back- to- back years, it's been my best pace. I don't know if I'll be able to keep that streak going, but I've had two straight years of really great days. I just love the course, it's got a nice kind of downhill finish and you love to run fast at the end. So that's coming up. And then a week after that, we've got the Retro Run, which has actually moved up from where it usually sits in the middle of the summer, because we switched our calendar a bit this year. So the Retro Run where people are always invited to come and wear kind of the old school clothes from the '70s and the '80s, and we bring out some of the older New York Road Runners stuff, the signage and the logos and we have a lot of fun with that race. So, that'll be the weekend after that. So, a lot of great stuff happening in the month of April. We're also going to have our women's half marathon later in the month, that's now sponsored by our friends at Maybelline. So, just a lot of great things coming up with Road Runners in the month of April. And then Becs, you were kind of alluding to it on the podcast front. We've got a big anniversary coming up on April 8th. We will have the 100th episode of Set The Pace.
Becs Gentry: Wow, wow.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I can't believe it. I mean, I'm sure for you it's amazing, for me it's insane because I still think back to the first kind of beginnings of this podcast, and the meetings that we had at New York Road Runners and the people who I said, " Let's do this so we can have a different way of talking to our members and to our audience," and we've had so many great people involved in the podcast over that 100 episodes. Matt Singer, who was kind of there at the very beginning, our head of content at New York Road Runners. Lou Pellegrino, who came in with the company that his boss Spencer Brown works with, works for. Spencer was the first guy I called to say, " Hey, can you help us put a podcast together?" Spencer brought in Lou, who's our phenomenal editor and puts this show together every single week. Catherine Jones joined as our producer, and then of course it was me and Meb for the beginning and now it's me and you, Becs, with Meb still involved. So, it feels like so much has happened in 100 episodes and it's been such a great ride. And we're going to celebrate that 100th episode with a live episode at the New York Public Theater, which-
Becs Gentry: Wow.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... Becs, if you know the history of the New York Public Theater, it's an iconic place in New York. It's a theater, we call it the Public, that's really a New York institution since the 1950s, just like New York Road Runners, and so many unbelievably successful shows have launched there. Hair, A Chorus Line, and of course most recently, Hamilton launched at the Public Theater. They've won 54 Tony Awards, five Pulitzer Prizes.
Becs Gentry: What?
Rob Simmelkjaer: 55 productions have gone on to Broadway from there.
Becs Gentry: Unreal.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And Set the Pace is going to be on the stage at the public theater. It's bananas.
Becs Gentry: We'll be the 56th production that goes to Broadway. I'm kidding.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Let's not get crazy.
Becs Gentry: I cannot wait. I love it when we have our live shows. It is always so inspiring to meet our listeners, to meet the runners, and just have this one- to- one interaction with people. So, I cannot wait to see everybody next Tuesday at this beautiful event.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I'm going to see if we can drag Lou Pellegrino to show up in person for that episode and get some of the people behind the scenes.
Becs Gentry: 100% pick her, yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Matt and Catherine to actually stand up on stage-
Becs Gentry: On stage, yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... for a second.
Becs Gentry: They should.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Just so they can get some love for helping this show get to where it is with 100 episodes. So we'll work on that offline.
Becs Gentry: We'll work on that, yep.
Rob Simmelkjaer: But I think if you come to the Public theater, we're going to make sure you meet some of the people behind the show.
Becs Gentry: You might meet them.
Rob Simmelkjaer: But it's been so great. Thank you to everybody who's been listening all this time and we hope you'll stay with us for many episodes to come. And then Becs, we've got another live episode happening on April 19th. For the second year in a row, we're going to be recording, Set the Pace live from the Citizens House of Blues in Boston. This is our second year of doing this. The Saturday before the Boston Marathon. That's going to be a special member only event, and my guest host that day will be ABC's Sam Ryan, who of course is an amazing broadcaster, well- known to everybody in New York. Her phenomenal job as a sports anchor for Eyewitness News, and she's a regular host of the studio production for our marathon and our other big races. So, so excited to have Sam join us. And our guest for that episode is going to be the incredible Ed Eyestone, a two- time Olympian.
Becs Gentry: Wow.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Sometime broadcaster, and of course famously, coach to both Conner Mantz and Clayton Young, out there in Utah. So, cannot wait for that episode.
Becs Gentry: Cannot wait, I am so envious. I need to get myself back up to Boston after, I haven't been up for a couple of years. So, I'm going to be tuning in and cannot wait to hear this wonderful episode and cheer Sam and all the other runners on at the race as well.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I can't wait to, I've got so many questions for Ed Eyestone, in terms of how he's been able to do what he's done with Conner, with Clayton, with this incredible pack of fast, fast runners out there in Utah. It's really become a hotbed of running in the United States, which isn't necessarily what you'd naturally would think would happen in Utah. You think about skiing, and you think about winter sports primarily in Utah. They're going to have another Winter Olympics out there after having one already, and suddenly it's a distance running mecca. So, can't wait to talk to Ed about what is happening out there with running in Utah and all these great runners. So, that's going to be great. But today, as I said, we're going long, a two- hour episode, as folks get ready for Boston and London. So our guest today, first coming off of a relay run from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, is Apple Fitness Plus trainer and running coach, as well as author, Cory Wharton- Malcolm. And Becs, you and Cory go back a ways as our listeners will hear, you guys worked together at Nike, and I'm excited to have you guys reconnect because I know you guys have a lot of things to talk about.
Becs Gentry: Oh yeah, you are all in store for a truly magnificent conversation with Cory. He's one of a kind.
Rob Simmelkjaer: He is an incredible person, incredibly inspiring and just sums up so many of the things we talk about when it comes to running and the power of running. So, it's a great conversation and Cory will join us in just a minute. Then Becs, we're going to go back to the in- family portion of our broadcast and check in with your partner, Austin, as he prepares to run the London Marathon, which we're excited about. And we're going to see how Austin's feeling as he gets ready for London.
Becs Gentry: Absolutely, can't wait to hear about his whole journey to this infamous race. And there might be a little surprise in store for Austin as well, so stay tuned to find out what that might be.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Maybe so, maybe so. Austin's got aspirations, for sure. That six- star journey, we all want to get that six- star. And then we've got a great member moment as well, as we were going to keep it in the family, and we mean the whole family. Sister and brother TFK members, Teresita and Luis Gonzalez are going to join us to talk about their training for both Boston and London, and how with every finish line they cross, more of their family members cross it with them. They're bringing the family along for these runs. So we'll talk to them, look forward to that. And then in keeping with our spring marathon theme for today, today's Meb Minute is all about traveling for your run. So, stay tuned for that.
Becs Gentry: Looking for new ways to keep you moving? Step into the strongest and fastest version of you, with the Peloton app. Try a range of instructor- led workouts that push your current routine to the next level and track your progress in real- time metrics. Whether it's your first 5K or full marathon, Peloton has thousands of classes from outdoor runs, strength for runners, to yoga and stretching to choose from and support the runner you are. Try the app for free for 30 days. Download it now from the App Store or Google Play. Terms apply. All Access membership not included. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner for New York Road Runners. Cory Wharton- Malcolm is a London- born running coach, whose journey began with a very simple goal, just get to the end of the street. Since completing his first marathon back in 2007, he's gone on to coach thousands of runners with Apple Fitness Plus, and his own community, Track Mafia. Known for blending music, humor and honesty, Cory brings joy and inclusivity to a sport that can often feel very intimidating. His book came out in 2024, All You Need is Rhythm and Grit. And it captures his philosophy that running is for everybody and every mind. Today, I am so excited that he is here to talk long runs, great vibes and why just getting to the bottom of the road is still his go- to mindset.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Cory, it is great to have you here on Set the Pace. Welcome.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Thank you, Rob. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm very happy to be here. A little bit sleepy but overjoyed.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, the sleep thing. So you were telling us before we started, and by the way, I'm happy to reunite you and Becs. I know you guys go back a long way.
Becs Gentry: Big side note.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, your days together at Nike.
Becs Gentry: Pretty much everything we talk about today, we'll be like, " Oh yeah, we did that, but 10 years ago. Oh yeah, Cory and I did that, 10 years ago." Yeah, yep, yep, yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, that's right. Becs and Cory were colleagues for a long time at Nike Run Club, so we'll talk about that at some point. But so I'm going to stay out of the way for the most part so you guys can catch up on this podcast.
Becs Gentry: Perfect.
Rob Simmelkjaer: But I just want to start with the sleep thing. So Cory, you just did an incredible thing, participating in this run from Los Angeles to Vegas.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Is that why you haven't slept or what's going on? Why haven't you slept at all?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yeah, so you are 100% correct, Rob. I did a run from Santa Monica to the Welcome to Las Vegas sign, with some wonderful friends, family and teammates. And you start off at 4: 00 AM and you get to Vegas when you get to Vegas. So, we were a mixed team, some incredibly fast people, some incredibly easy running people, so the team was balanced. So it took us 50 hours and I'm overjoyed with it because when I did it last time, I think it took us 52 or 54 hours. But you just run, just run and run and run, and then when you can't run anymore, you have a nap, your teammate tags you in. So, I think I ran about 50K or so, really slow on a bum hamstring, and I'm happy. But every night I think I got two hours sleep on the Thursday night, because you have to meet at 4: 00 AM. Then on Friday, I picked up a little bit of sleep, and the same on Sunday. And then because we arrived in Vegas at 6: 00 AM in the morning, you just go, check into your hotel, have an hour sleep, and then go to the pool party. And then I ended up just partying all the way through till, I think 4: 45.
Becs Gentry: Oh, boy.
Rob Simmelkjaer: As one does in Vegas. That's why you were running there, isn't it? So, kind of understandable.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Of course, but yeah.
Becs Gentry: Dude, I have done this thing multiple times, as Cory has. Cory did it back in, I think 2017 was your first time doing it?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes, yes.
Becs Gentry: Back with Run Dem, and Track Mafia. Well, this is your first time doing it with a full Track Mafia team though this year?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes, so that's why it felt even more special than it has done previously, because yep, everyone is my family, but this is the first time I've done it with my core family. So my wife and her dear friend, Xandria, they organized the entire trip, and then they were all out there as well. So to be with people that you kind of started Track Mafia with and to be with young people who you kind of met 10, 11, 12 years ago, and you gave them their first camera because they said they were interested in photography and now they're out in the desert shooting campaigns for different brands. It was just this beautiful full circle moment, and inspiring for me and inspiring for other people because it's like, look at where we started. I couldn't get to the bottom of the road. And now we're here with our family running to the bottom of a very, very, very, very long road.
Becs Gentry: Very, very, 340 miles, depending on which route you take. Might be 300.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes, exactly.
Becs Gentry: Could go into it, that's amazing. And we'll go into the who's and the what's of Track Mafia, because I think that's an important part of who you are and where your personal and your running life has come from. But let's go back almost 20 years, since your first London Marathon finish line.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes, which is crazy.
Becs Gentry: Holy moly. London Marathon is around the corner. This episode will drop as a long run prior to the two big spring marathons that are on our doorstep.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Amazing.
Becs Gentry: And it's just unreal for me. I've known Cory for 12 plus years now, and to think you were such a runner when I met you. I looked up to you as like, he knows everything about running, this dude.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: No way.
Becs Gentry: And it was 2026... It is 2025, Rebecca, yes, but 2026, that'll be your 20 years since you first ran London Marathon. What happened at that finish line that made you go, bam, this is it?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Do you know what? I'd lived in London my entire life and I'd seen the race on television and I'd spoken to people who had done it. They weren't like my friends, they were friends of friends, so I'd just stumbled upon them. But the London Marathon that I went to go and see for the first time, it was the first time I actually really knew someone and cared about someone that was running it. So when I watched them training, when I watched them run, I was like, oh wow, this is a normal everyday person that does this stuff. But when I went out on the street and I saw the diversity of people that were running, it was like different sexes, different sizes, completely different races, religions, everyone was running together. And everyone on the city, everyone in the city came out to cheer them on. And I was like, I want some, this is crazy. I want some of this. I'm seeing people running in rhino seats, to running with fridges on their backs, and I'm like, this is beautiful. I want to do this. And I remember saying to my friends, "You know what? I might do this next year," and everybody laughed, literally everyone laughed. They were like, " Dude, do you know how poorly you live?" They didn't say it as politely as that, but they were like, "Do you know how many poor habits you have? There's no way in the world you can do that." And I went, " Oh, okay. I bet I can." And that's literally when, even if I wasn't serious when I suggested it, I was doubling down on my seriousness when you doubted me, and that's when the journey began. I just started looking into how one trains for a marathon and began. It was the hardest, back then that was the hardest thing that I had ever done. So, I just did it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love stories like that. First of all. I love it, Cory, because the same thing really happened to me. I had not thought about running a marathon. I had been a runner, so I had running experience, but when I was 25 years old, I kind of stumbled upon the finish line of the Boston Marathon on my way home from a Red Sox baseball game. And I was like, oh, this is cool. And I sat there and watched and watched and I was like, I got to do this. And right then and there I signed up for the New York Marathon that following fall.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Oh, wow.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So it happened to me very similar. Now, I've heard that you, when you made this pledge to run the London Marathon, your first run, you didn't even make it down the street.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Nope, I did not. I did not, I didn't. That's kind of where one of my mantras comes from, which is, just get to the bottom of the road. Because when I stepped out of the house and I looked down to the bottom of the road, I was like, ah, nope, this will be easy. I understood it was going to be a challenge, but I didn't think that I was so unhealthy, so unfit that I wouldn't literally be able to run to the bottom of the road. Now, where I used to live in (inaudible) , I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not a big incline. It's like a slight incline, maybe 0. 25%. So it wasn't a hill, but I was like, how can I not do this?
Rob Simmelkjaer: You were going down, you were going down the hill?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: No, no. I started going up ever so slightly.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Okay, got it.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: And then it would start going down, and I was like, how is this hurting? How is my back hurting? How are my quads hurting? How are my calves hurting? How are my legs hurting? And all I've run for is like three minutes and I was like, how the hell am I going to run for four hours, for five hours for six hours? And that's when I realized, huh, all I have to do for right now is just get to the bottom of the road. And even if I can't get to the bottom of the road, pick something else which is my representation of the bottom of the road. So it's like, get to that yellow car, get to that dog, get to that row of bricks. And that's what I did throughout the run from LA to Vegas. It was like, get to the next equivalent of the bottom of the road. And that might have been a sign, it might have been a rock, it might have been the RV. Just do what you can. And the whole point of that is to reframe everything that is in your head. In my head, I'm not saying I don't have negativity in my head, but everything is reframed. It's like, just get there. Not, I can't get any further, it's, I got there, and you just keep saying that over and over and over again. And then you find out that by saying, just get to that next door or get to that next fridge or get to the bottom of the road, you've now hit so many different roads and you look at your watch and you'll be like, "Ah, I've run 26 miles just by looking at the end of the road." And yeah, that's what I try and instill in anyone that I work with, speak with, who has doubt about anything. It's like, you can do this, you just got to reframe it.
Becs Gentry: Absolutely, and that's how you've always been. For as long as I've known you, for sure. It's, you've just got to try, you've just got to give it a go. Don't be afraid to give it a go and show up. And you are somebody who, for as long as I've known you and since we've both been in different countries and same country but now different companies, is you are somebody who shows up for other people as well, massively. And I think I feel incredibly lucky to have been your colleague and your friend back in London in our Nike days. But everything that you do, whether it's giving back to the community, whether it's just the things you say about your mom and your family and all of the energy that you put out there, is so encouraging for people to actually look into. There's a difference between people saying it and you're like, yeah, but do you really do that? You actually, you embody it. And I think to hear you talk about that first journey and just take us through how for you, that first marathon, how that hit your mindset to change, to become this person who's like, I've unlocked something for me. How am I going to share this for other people to feel too?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: So, when I finished that first run, when I finished that first marathon, that six hours, nearly seven hour journey was just, it was like free therapy. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to a therapist because you run, but at that point it was free therapy for me, and I learned so much about myself. I learned that I was a lot stronger than I ever thought I was. But I also learned that there were a lot of things that I was dealing with or hadn't dealt with, and I realized that it was running that could help me with that. And it felt like I had unlocked this secret little box with a bunch of tricks in it that the world wasn't telling people about. And I was like, if I didn't know about this, that means there's a bunch of other people that don't know about this. And those people would benefit from knowing this because I know what this running thing did for me. It gave me cardio confidence, and that cardio confidence is, that instills this belief in you that because I can get to the bottom of the road, because I can accomplish anything that I set my mind to in the running space, I can probably do anything outside of the running space that I set my mind to. And I wanted to share that gift with other people, but I also wanted people to be aware that everything that you may know about running, everything that you may have been told about running, I'm not saying it's not true, but you don't have to be intimidated. You don't have to be scared. You don't have to think about running fast. You don't have to think about running far. You don't have to think about perfect form, perfect gait, perfect kit, all these things that we're kind of told. Just get out there and just keep winning. And when you lose, put your hands up in the air and be like, we're going to try and win again. And that is what I wanted people to realize. Running can and will change your life if you believe in it, if you believe in yourself. And if you don't believe in yourself, I'm here to help you believe in yourself. And that's what I always wanted to do, it's like help people believe that they can achieve anything because that's a beautiful space to live in. And it just changes your life completely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Wow. Can we just stop the podcast right now? Is there anything left to say, ever, on a running podcast than that? Cory, you kind of just summed up everything we ever talk about at New York Road Runners in a beautiful way. So, we got to have you around more often, man.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Okay, thank you, Rob.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You're really good at talking about the transformative power of running, as we like to say in New York Road Runners, it's pretty amazing. And how has it transformed you? How are you different? This cardio confidence you talk about, obviously you're different as a runner, you're different physically, your fitness level obviously has changed dramatically. Now you're running from LA to Vegas. You couldn't run down the street.
Becs Gentry: (inaudible) got nothing.
Rob Simmelkjaer: This is bananas, right? But how has it changed you, the person? If I talk to the person you're closest to in your life, I don't know who that might be, Cory, your mother or partner or brother, whoever. How would they say it's changed you?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: I would say I stand taller in who I am and I have less regard for the thoughts and feelings about me that aren't positive. I think that's the best way to articulate and synthesize it. And I guess the long version of it is, running told me that I can do anything. And because running told me that I can do anything, I'm now going to do anything. It's changed the way that I look. Someone said to me the other day, because you obviously spend lots and lots of time together in the van, we were looking through pictures of what we looked like 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 years ago. And everyone sort of, not laughed, but yeah, we were laughing. They were like, " Dude, you are 47 now. You look younger than when you did when you were 27." Because I was living poorly. Running has given me lots and lots of friends. I met my wife there and it introduced me to a completely different world. I always laugh with people and I say, " Dude, before I started running, I'd never been to Shoreditch." and they're like, " What do you mean you've never been to Shoreditch?" And for those of you who don't know where Shoreditch is, it's this sort of hipster- y, cool, if you want to use that word, area in East London. And going there, I met all of these people who were runners or into running. They wouldn't even refer to themselves as runners at that time. And they just did all of these things that I'd never heard of. And I know that sounds really weird, but I used to work for the government, I used to work for the public sector, I worked in youth centers, community organizations, and then I go and meet these people and I'm like, " Oh, what do you do for a living?" And it's like, " Oh, I'm a videographer." And I was like, " A videographer? As in you hold a video camera and you video stuff?" And they're like, " Yeah, I do that." You'd meet someone else and they're like, " I'm a music producer. I paint pictures, I do all of these things." So I met all of these creative people and I was like, hold on. I've been slogging for years and I've met these people who appear with respect to not really do anything, and you're paying for your house, you're paying for your car, you're putting your kids through school. I was like, how come I haven't heard of any of these things? Why did no one tell me there was this life on the other side that I now have access to? And you meet other people and they show you about another world. And this sort of relatively small focus that I had just expanded tenfold. And I was like, oh, I can actually- ... tenfold and I was like, oh, I can actually achieve even more than I thought I could have achieved. And then when you just start talking to yourself like that over and over and over again, now I'm like, so you want to go to Mars? Cool. When? Tuesday or Wednesday? And that's what changed.
Becs Gentry: Yep, that's how it goes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Wait, but I just want to say though, I've never been to Shoreditch. I've never even heard of Shoreditch. Becks, when were you going to tell me about Shoreditch? Shouldn't I go hang out in Shoreditch when I'm in London next time?
Becs Gentry: Maybe.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Am I hip enough? No? Maybe I'm not hip enough.
Becs Gentry: Once you have a discussion-
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Oh, no, you are.
Becs Gentry: ... with Kwesi you'll be fine. Okay. In the moment we're in of change and of meeting new people and of you coming from that, London, the social sector in London, heading into your social sector. So, 2012, is that right, is when TrackMafia was founded? Around then?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes, yeah. So, 2012 was when we started RDC West, and then RDC West became TrackMafia probably two years after that. Maybe two years after that.
Becs Gentry: So, RDC, for our listeners, rundown, crew, it was one of the biggest and probably one of the most formative run crews in London. Still to this day I think it's probably one of the first names that people think of when it comes to run crews in London.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Charlie Dark, my mentor.
Becs Gentry: Sir Charlie Dark.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yeah, sorry. Sir Charlie Dark.
Becs Gentry: Sir Charlie Dark. Beautiful, beautiful human. And between he and Cory, they really did change the landscape for runners in London and created a safe space for runners, whoever they were, wherever they were from, whether they were locals or whether they were visiting, to come and move their bodies and run. And it was a concept that today is now super fashionable and super cool, but back in the early 2010s onwards was just life for us all in London, is what we did. You took over Paddington Rec, which was an unusual place. It wasn't the Shoreditch rub. It was a very different-
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: It's very different.
Becs Gentry: ... other side of London. But it worked and it really was truly this unassuming park in London that didn't have the hipster cool vibe that Cory was talking about of Shoreditch, but it had a certain something.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Charm.
Becs Gentry: Charm. Perfect. And your TrackMafia, the inner crew has always been the inner crew. It's like you really do have the core of the apple and it stayed together.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes.
Becs Gentry: Even though you're now in different countries, like I saw, I think it was on your or Jules's Instagram last week where I was like, " What is happening? Everyone's congregating at Cory's house." And then I just hadn't looked at the date and was like, " Oh, Speed Project."
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Exactly.
Becs Gentry: But it's just what you've done. So, talk to us about like what is TrackMafia to you in your heart from then to today?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Oh, wow. Becks is trying to make me cry. TrackMafia is my real family. We bonded over miles and miles and miles of just joy, pain, suffering, talking to each other. How it worked was we were obviously running RDC West and then TrackMafia was born. And TrackMafia was born because I used to run at a run club called Dulwich Runners and I used to do track sessions there with the team and the coach there. And then when we started RDC West and then TrackMafia, my now wife Jules, she used to do track and the other founder, Jeggy, he used to do track. So, we were like, " Do you know what? My office is upstairs," or used to be upstairs from Paddington Rec. We're like, " There's a track right there. Why don't we just go and do track?" So, the three of us just started doing track. And we were real running nerds, so we would geek out on YouTube and just watch old running races, watch old- school Olympic workouts. And we were like, "We can do this, but just in a really small version." And the whole point of it was to democratize track but also show people that speed isn't just for the fast. And I know that sounds really weird, but loads of people believe that track is only for people who run fast. You only go to track if you're going to be running in zone five, your VO2 max, where we wanted to switch that and basically say, " No. Running is a safe space for you to experiment with your body." Now, when we started doing track, we started doing ridiculous workouts and our time started getting faster. And people noticed that and they were like, " What are you lot doing over there at the track?" And I was like, " We're just doing 400- meter reps. We're doing 200- meter reps, maybe some 800- meter reps, but we're taking it seriously." And we were the only group at the time who weren't an old- school running club that were doing speed in the space that we existed. So, people were like, " What's this track thing? Isn't track scary?" And it was like, " Yeah, track can be scary, but come and do it with a smile." So, we would run 400- meter reps and be on the verge of throwing up, but we'd still be smiling. We'd still be happy. We'd still be overjoyed. Then we would go on long three, four hour runs, the three of us, and we'd just talk. And I've always said that running fast tracks friendship, because if you think about it, if you just look at how long you are running with someone and then try and spend that amount of time just socially, you got one run, you've got to spend weeks or months, sometimes years with someone to get to know them that well. So, we just got to know each other really, really well. And that's how the friendship was born. And then we just started bringing more people in, and then all of a sudden, you've just got this amazing group of people all from different backgrounds with a bunch of different skill sets that just want to be around each other. And that's when we started telling stories, which is what wasn't happening at that particular point in time. That was what made us different. One, the fact that we were doing these hard track sessions, two, we were telling the stories. And back then, it wasn't about the beautiful shot, the wonderful light. It was really lo- fi back then and it was about, how hurt do I look right now? And I want to share this pain and anguish with people, but I also want to share the joy that it has brought. And that's what used to bring people to us. It was the balance between pain and suffering and joy and happiness, camaraderie with friends. And it's like, " They look like they're having fun. How are they having fun? I just saw the time that they ran, but this... Okay, I'm going to go and I'll see if I can have fun." And that just snowballed.
Becs Gentry: It really did. And all the friendliest people. And I will never forget Cynthia being the first person I ever was like, " That girl runs with red lipstick on? That's so cool." And then the first time-
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: And she stills does.
Becs Gentry: ... I went to Peloton and was like, " I'm channeling my inner Cynthia," when I wore red lipstick for the first time. And to this day, if I wear-
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Amazing.
Becs Gentry: ... red lipstick, I think of Cynthia and I'm just like, " It's so..." Yeah, it truly, I'm just trying to get across how wonderful all of it. They really, truly are. Even from an outsider who was never somebody who ran with TrackMafia because I was always doing Nike things, but-
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: The space was there for you.
Becs Gentry: Exactly. But you always all held space when we were in other countries and other cities doing races together. I felt like I was part of the family, even though I was never essentially at the track meets all the time. And that is something that definitely helped me personally in running and falling in love with running. So, thank you, guys.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: No, thank you. And you're still always welcome at track as it still goes on. Even though we've moved, it's still there. Thursday at 6:30.
Becs Gentry: I'd definitely pull a hammy these days.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Guys, it sounds like so many of the run clubs we have in New York. We've got clubs, we've got crews, we've got super competitive, super social, a mix. This really is so much a part of what has driven this boom in running over the last several years since the pandemic is all that you said, Cory, about the way it brings people together, the way you can connect with somebody over a run. I never thought of it in the terms you put it and how much time you spend with someone on a long run and how many coffee dates you'd have to put together to spend that much time with someone. You're right. An hour coffee is like, you got to do like 12 of those to do a half- marathon or whatever, or a long, long run. So, it's a lot. It's a lot of time and it really does make an impact. Cory, I want to talk about your music side too. So, you have a bit of a background in the music world. You are an MC for DJs and a lot of the electronic dance music superstars that are out there, that whole world. How does that relate to your running? I'm curious, do you channel some of that? Do you-
Becs Gentry: Can I answer that?
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... listen to a lot of music when you run?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: I want to hear what Becks is going to say because I most definitely do channel that on my runs.
Becs Gentry: Oh my gosh, no, you go for it. But trust me, he is the good vibes, the good energy, and he is the kind of... You think I don't shut up when you're running. I learned from him, put it that way.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: So, when I used to MC in clubs or on radio over garage, house, drum and bass, all of that music, you realize that you are the vibe controller. You are the mood controller, and you have to lead with your energy. And that's what I take to my running space. I have to lead with my good energy and that's what will bring the crowd up. That's my job. My job is to dial into you personally and as a group of people and help you have the best time of your life in combination with the DJ. And it's the same thing when I speak to people about running. I sometimes explain it to them either like a DJ set or an entire evening of raving. It's like when you get to the rave or when you look at the first DJ, the first DJ isn't always necessarily the best DJ of the night. It's the one that's going to get you warm, but you still have to go to that set. So, you go to that set and that first DJ is the one that gets you nice and warm, gets you hyped. Then the DJs in the middle, the DJs in the middle, they're hit or miss. AKA, you might have a good time, you might have a bad time, but you still have to stay committed to that rave if you want to see the best DJ, which is normally the last person who closes out. So, you have to stay committed to that middle section. And then when you get to the end, it's going to be hard. It's going to be tired because you've now been raving since midnight and it's now 6: 00 AM. But if you really love this DJ, you just got to keep raving. You just got to keep partying. You just got to keep going. And that's how I look at it, that's how I still treat runs to this day. And because I'm a MC, anytime I'm out on a run and I find my head drifting off into spaces that I may not necessarily want them to, I'll just start spitting bars. And for people who don't understand spitting bars, I just mean I'll start freestyling about stuff. I'll talk about the rocks that are beside, I'll talk about the pigeons, I'll talk about the darkness that's out there. It's just anything to take my mind off of that particular space point in time right there. And that's what I share with people. I was like when you run, you've got two choices. You either live in it or you live outside of it. And depending on where you are, you have to make your choice. And I love living in it, because living in it, I get to process a bunch of things that I may not necessarily have processed. And it also teaches me that you can't control life, but what you can control is the stuff you can control. And that's how I react. I said a bunch of stuff there. I hope I answered the question.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I loved it. Cory, this is a new metaphor for me. I have a lot of marathon and running metaphors, but I have not had the marathon rave metaphor before. This is huge. You may be surprised to hear this, I don't go to a lot of raves, but I know what a rave is. And the idea that it's that last DJ that you're holding out for and you do have to keep the vibe going that whole time, I totally see that. I totally get that. That's really cool.
Becs Gentry: Really nice.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Thank you.
Becs Gentry: I will attest to he does keep you going. He does. I have this real memory of you on a beanbag in, it's either going to be Amsterdam or Berlin, I can't remember which city it was. We were exhausted. We were on a 90 tour of some sort and we'd been going for weeks. And Cory's just on this beanbag and he got his shoes off, and I can just see you, I literally can just see you, and you just started singing. And we were all flat in the room, and within minutes someone had a song on their phone and Cory's just singing and we're all up and we're like, " We've got this!" Just because he literally just probably had that thought in his own brain of, " We got to get through this. We got to get to that last DJ."
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: And I actually built a class out of that. We used to call it Forge and it was all about drum and bass music, which is anywhere between, I think it's 175, 180, or 185 bpm. I can never remember. And it is fast. It's like bam, bam, bam. But it's the perfect pace for running drills. The perfect pace. So, I would do a full class anywhere between 45 minutes and an hour and it would just be hit and running drills. So, the drum and bass would be on, its like... And I would have people just going, " One, two, three, four. Now, give me high knees, high knees, high knees, high knees. Now, give me a skip, a skip, a skip." And people would come to the class and be like, " Dude, I hate running, I hate drills, I hate all of these things, but I like this music." And they would just come and they would do it. And I'd realize that if you just play some decent music, turn the lights off, and you're a nice person, people will come and dance and work out even if they don't like working out because they're not coming to work out. You fooled them into believing that they're coming to dance and it just so happens there might be some equipment in the area. And that's what I used to tell people. I fool people into working out by getting them to dance and do ridiculous things.
Becs Gentry: Perfect. And that leads it on very nicely to talk about your incredible book that has just come out.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Ah, yes. All You Need is Rhythm and Grit.
Becs Gentry: Oh my gosh, this book. You can't quite see all of Cory right now, but Cory is a pink and blue guy in my mind. Yeah, from forever you've had pink and blue as your colors.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Always.
Becs Gentry: And I just love the book. Just, it's straight up like, " That's Cory's book." That's Cory's book.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: When they showed me that design, I was like, " Wow." Because Cindy, which is my publisher, she just messaged me and she was like, " Oh, Cory, what do you want your book cover to look like?" And I said to her, "I don't know." I was like, " Anything but this." I don't want a-
Becs Gentry: Didn't want a closeup.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yeah, I didn't want a portrait of me leaning in.
Becs Gentry: Awkwardly in a suit, in a linen suit.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yeah. I didn't want that. And she was like, " We've got a few ideas. The designer has worked on this. Let me know what you think of this." And when she sent me the PDF, I was blown away. I was like, " This is me. The artist has literally captured me in color. You fully understood the assignment." I was overjoyed. And to be able to write a book, like what? From where I started about this thing that I found, it's still unbelievable. As a child,, you have these pipe dreams. I'm like, " Oh yeah, I'd love to write a book." And when people are like, " About what?" I was like, "I don't know. It's just a pretty cool thing to do." But then when I was given the opportunity to do that, I was like, " This is unbelievable." And I'm going to share my story because I think people not necessarily need to know my story, and that's the thing, even though the book is about me, it's not about me. It's about people like me, and those are people who in the beginning didn't necessarily believe too much in themselves. They weren't really happy in their skin, but there was just something that you couldn't quite put your finger on. And I couldn't put my finger on it until running. When I found running, I realized how unhappy I was, and I wanted to share that. And it was unhappy about how I looked, unhappy about my weight, unhappy about where I was in life. And you spend hours with yourself, you can't but explore that. And that's what I wanted to share with people, that if you choose to, I guess, give yourself to the road or give yourself to the trails, it will give you back in tenfold. And that's what the book is about. The book is about community. How I describe it is it's a love letter to running and to myself, thanking the running gods for blessing me and giving me an opportunity to bless my family, my community, with some of the lessons that I've learned that have changed my life. And it's changed a bunch of other people's lives. And that's not on me. That's on them. I just shone the torch down into the cave and I was like, " Look in there. You can go in there if you want." And many people have chosen to. The book is about saying running is really hard, but you'll learn a lot if you engage.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Amazing. Love it. The book is called All You Need is Rhythm and Grit. I love everything you just said about it, so got to pick that up. Got to check it out. Another thing that folks can check out that you're a part of, Cory, is your role with Apple and Apple Fitness+.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: This must be the culmination for you of all of this journey you've had, now you are part of a fitness and running product, which is incredible.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Which is.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Right?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: It's unbelievable.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You must pinch yourself sometimes and be like, " Now, I'm here? I'm bringing other people to this." Talk about what you do for Apple Fitness+ and what that experience is like.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: So, I say to people, Becks, we might battle about this, but I say to people, " I have the best job in the world." And the reason why I say I have the best job in the world is I predominantly work on something called Time to Run. And Time to Run is a immersive audio- guided experience where the whole point of it is to transport people on their daily runs to a completely different location. So, my job is to literally pick a location, go to that location, pick a route, run that route, take beautiful pictures that show up on people's Apple watches and their phones, and guide them through a workout. And I get to play the music that I'd like to as well. So, I'm like, hold on, I've taken all of the things that I've been incredibly passionate about over the past couple of decades and I now get paid to do it in sunny Los Angeles. Every morning I wake up and I'm like, " How is this possible? How are we here?" But we are here. So, I do that as part of my role. And then as you said, the other part of the role for Fitness+ is working in online workouts. So, I am either a modifier in workouts, so I will do yoga, strength, rowing, core, treadmill, cycling, all of those things. I basically work out and write and play music for a living and get to speak to, whether it's, I have no ideas about any figures, but it's hundreds of thousands or millions of people I get to speak to. And I'm like, " How is this happening?" 20 years ago, I couldn't run to the bottom of the road, and now I'm telling people in countries all over the world how to get to the bottom of the road. I still pinch myself. I still pinch myself that I'm surrounded by such amazing people that many years ago I would've paid lots and lots of money just to talk to, just to learn from. And now, I get to sit with these people and have coffee with them every morning and tap their brains. I've recently gone on another journey myself. Basically, I was supposed to run Berlin Marathon in September and I was injured. And I watched all of my friends run Berlin Marathon and I was like, " I'm not missing this again next year, so I'm going to start training now a year out." And because I obviously work for Fitness+, I was like, " I'm just going to set up a program on Fitness+ and I'm going to do a strength and yoga workout every single day. Maybe I'll do a Pilates workout." And just Fitness+, and obviously monitoring my nutrition, I dropped 40 pounds in three months so that I could begin my running cycle proper at the beginning of the year in January. And obviously, I knew that Speed Project was coming up and I was like, " You know what? I need to get back down to race weight." Because I'd actually snuck back up for the first time to quite a weight that I didn't want to be at. And because of the book, All You Need is Rhythm and Grit, I just remembered everything that I had done previously and I was like, " All I'm going to do now is I'm going to do everything that I've done before, but now I have access to Fitness+, so I don't necessarily have to go to a class." So, I'd wake up in the morning and I'd put on my teammates. So, there's a yoga workout that I've done, I think, 112 times because I would do it every morning to stretch my hammies or my quads or my back or wherever, and then I'd do a strength workout, then I'd go and do a cycling work and then a treadmill workout. And it's just easy. It just changed my life. So yeah, that's all. It's just amazing.
Becs Gentry: It really is.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What a journey.
Becs Gentry: I'm not going to batter you because I think no matter what the companies we both work for are called, we do the same thing essentially. And so we absolutely do have the best jobs in the world that we get to help people and ourselves move their bodies, feel grace and happiness, hopefully, on the journey, for want of a better word, that we can be part of, which is just nuts that we get to be part of these millions of different journeys that are happening simultaneously, but we also have no idea.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes. That's the hard part.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: That's the hard part. That, for me, is the hardest part, not knowing as in... Because I've gone from standing in the rain with an umbrella, a clipboard, and a whistle-
Becs Gentry: To a coach.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yeah. And you see change week after week after week right in front of you, right there, but then when you're in a predominantly digital space, you don't necessarily get to, I guess, be as close to that change. But when you're trackside or when you're roadside, when you're on the trails, you only get access to those 20 people or to those 30 people, 40 people, or some of these running clubs or crews now 100 people or 1, 000 people. You can't have 1, 000 connections at once. So, let's just say you've got 30 people whereby all of these online platforms, and as Beck says, regardless of what platform it is that you work for, all of these people you're helping. You'll get emails. You'll get text messages. You'll get DMs, and it's just people that you wouldn't even think of. And some of these stories that we get from Fitness+ are unbelievable. It's like, " I was suffering from this, but through your workouts, it's made me realize that I can do more. And I've changed my life. And now, I've got my daughter into running, my son into running. My whole family's into running. And now, we've changed our nutrition. Now, we go to different places on holiday." And that's just from listening to my voice or to your voice or to someone else's voice, or seeing that embodiment. It's just beautiful how much change we can be part of. And not for selfish reasons. It's more like what you do feeds me. And that's what I love, just seeing all of that positivity out there, just seeing someone smiling. There was one audio- guided run that I did in dc DC, so we went to DC, we ran the route, et cetera. It's actually happening in Puerto Rico as well, where people take the pictures that I have taken, they go to the location, they run the route, and then they take the pictures in the same place, but they'll Photoshop themselves in to make it look like we did it together. And I'm like, " This is wild." This is how committed-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Wow.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: ... these people-
Becs Gentry: That's so cool.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: ... are to remapping what we did. Look at my face. I'm just smiling. I'm like, this is ridiculous.
Becs Gentry: But that's because you created that connection for them, and that's their way of feeling the gratitude towards you showing it and just understanding that this guy, because you did it, they did it.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yeah.
Becs Gentry: It's so beautiful.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yeah, it's beautiful.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well, Cory, I could talk to you all day. It's just-
Becs Gentry: Wait, I want to know one more thing, though-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yep.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yeah, please.
Becs Gentry: ... about connection.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yep.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Go ahead.
Becs Gentry: Are your mom and your sister still running?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Oh, yes, yeah.
Becs Gentry: Yeah!
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: So, it's funny, my mum actually, so she started running... Let me start from the beginning. She started walking, and then when she saw that I was running, she was like, "Do you think I can run too?" And I was like, " You saw me when I started running, right?" And then we both laughed and she was like, " I can do it. I can run." So, we just started going for walks and then going for runs. And then the old- school phrase, " Teach one, teach one." And I might have changed that, but that's what she did. I showed her how to run, and then she just gathered her own group and they started going for runs. They started going for walks. And my mom would come and cheer me on at cross country. She would cheer me on when I would do 5Ks, 10Ks, half- marathons, marathons, and then she signed up for races without me even knowing that she was signing up for these races. So, she signed up for a race in Paris at a, what's it called? At an adventure park. I don't even know if we're allowed to say the name, but she went there to Paris. There's one in Orlando and other places.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Disney.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: And she did this-
Becs Gentry: The Disney, yeah.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Disney. The Disney race.
Becs Gentry: The Disney challenges.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: I didn't know if I could say it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Of course.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: The Disney race. So, she did the 5K, the 10K, and the half- marathon.
Becs Gentry: Wow, she did the whole Dopey Challenge.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: She did the whole challenge.
Becs Gentry: Whoa.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: But this is the best part. Our dear friend Paula Radcliffe, she was at the finish line. And obviously, we've done a lot of work with Paula and my mum has met Paula, so my mum is stood at the finish line waving and screaming at Paula Radcliffe. " Go ahead, do you remember me? I'm Cory's mum." Paula then invites her up onto the little bus on the finish line, and her and Paula Radcliffe are taking selfies and my mum is sending them to me. And I'm like, " Mum." I'm like, " Lynn, what are you doing? Why?" " No, it's Paula. She's fine." That's how deep my mum got into the running. And then I obviously bought her an Apple Watch, and now she's addicted to that thing. She wants to close her rings every day. She wants to go for a walk.
Becs Gentry: Great.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: And she wants to share activity. She's like, "Is the new one out? When can I get that? I hear there's this new strap." The other day, like she chipped it. She said, " Oh, will it still work if it's chipped? Can you get me another one?" And I also bought her one of the little Apple TVs, so she now attempts to do the workouts. And when I say attempts to do the workout, she'll put it on and she'll have it in the background and she'll do a couple of the moves.
Becs Gentry: That's fine. She's moving.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Exactly.
Becs Gentry: She's moving. She's engaging and she's moving.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Exactly.
Becs Gentry: That is beautiful. Wow, Lynn.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: See, you even remember her name.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Aw.
Becs Gentry: Well, she came to a lot of Nike events.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Exactly.
Becs Gentry: We got to know her. She'd always bring us food too.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: So, that is also a thing. Sorry, Rob. That's also a thing. I- So that is also a thing. Sorry, Rob. That's also a thing. At all of the events that we used to organize, I always used to try and make sure that it was full circle, so it was a running event and my mom would cook all of the food. So you would have these ridiculous running event, and then my mom would come in and cook like rice and peas, jerk chicken curry chicken, roti, all the West Indian food.
Becs: And roti.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: And roti.
Becs: And people would be like, " Dude, what is this? Do I have to pay for this?" And I'm like, " No, this is our way of giving back my friend. Eat, be merry, be happy." And yeah, that's what we used to do.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So cool. And you influence people all over the world, but when it's your mom, that's where it's at. That's where it's at.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: One more thing about my mom. We did a Kevin Hart run and she was the person-
Becs: She will never forget that.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Never forget Kevin Hart running towards my mom to try and help her. " That's your mom. That's your mom." I'm like, " Yeah, that's my mom, Kevin."
Becs: That's superb.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: And I'm like, " Why are you making a scene?" Me and Becs are running this thing and you have to take the limelight."
Becs: She took it, she was fine.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: I'm like, "You're a ridiculous person." But that's why I'm a ridiculous person. So I have to thank my mom for making me who I am.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That sounded just like Kevin Hart, by the way. I totally see that. Could totally see Kevin Hart doing that.
Becs: I can. I can snowball from Secret Life of Pets because I have a two- year- old who is addicted to watching it and Kevin Hart is the voice of Snowball the rabbit. But yeah.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: He's hilarious. Please.
Becs: He's brilliant.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it.
Becs: So good. Well, Cory-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well Cory, you are ridiculously inspiring. It's unbelievable everything that you are doing and just phenomenal having a chance to talk to you. Congratulations on the runs, on the book, on the Apple Fitness Plus and everything else you're doing. And when are we going to see you in New York? You got to get to New York for a race. When are we going to see you here?
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Dude, I have been coming to New York for the New York Marathon every year. Probably, I think I've missed two years in the last decade or so. I'm always there cheering or taking photographs or just hanging out because we haven't spoken about the BTG movement. But the whole reason I was able to meet all of these things was because Mike Safe started it in New York. So I'm always in New York giving back to that community. I'm always up there with Hector and Rue Crew, Safe and Bridge Runners. Weirdly enough, New York is my second home. I can land in New York tomorrow and be like, " Yo, I've arrived." And they'll be like, "Come to this burger spot, come to this place, come to that place."
Becs: And he is the guy in the middle of the course up there too. I mean, there was no way Cory was not letting me know that he was right there.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: I was like, "Yeah. Yeah. Yeah."
Becs: Camera confetti.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: I was screaming.
Becs: Yeah, that crew is the best on race day. It's such a great area.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right, well we got to make sure we connect with you this year.
Becs: Yes.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Oh, definitely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hopefully you'll be back.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Yes, I will.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And love to have you show up at some things and just get you-
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Dude, definitely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... up and in front of some people because-
Becs: 100%.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... it's so great listening to you and hearing your story. So let's get you out there, even more in New York this year.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Oh, amazing.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I would love to do that.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Thank you, Rob. Thank you Becs.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Absolutely. Cory Wharton- Malcolm, amazing conversation, amazing guy. Thank you so much for being with us today. I appreciate you.
Cory Wharton-Malcolm: Thank you for having me. Such a pleasure.
Rob Simmelkjaer: New York Roadrunners is a nonprofit organization with a vision to build healthier lives and stronger communities through the transformative power of running. The support of members and donors like you helps us achieve our mission to transform the health and well- being of our communities through inclusive and accessible running experiences, empowering all to achieve their potential. Learn more and contribute at NYRR. org/ donate.
Becs: All right, one of today's guests is somebody very, very important in my world. He's a fantastic father, he's a pretty darn good athlete all around, and he is here for a second time on Set the Pace today. It is Mr. Austin Curtis.
Austin: Thank you for having me back.
Becs: Well this time you get the duo, you actually get Rob and myself here to talk to you about all things running. But thank you for coming back.
Austin: We weren't too bad last time. I don't think we need a mediator, but it's nice to have Rob on.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We're not going to do therapy here. We're just going to talk about running. Hello Austin, how are you?
Austin: I'm doing well, thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Nice to have you on. Set the Pace, I guess you kind of have to say yes, right? I mean, when the request comes from Becs, there's not really much much of a conversation to be had. We knew you'd come on. But we're thrilled to have you back on Set the Pace. And I've been thinking about you Austin a lot over the last six months as I am regaled by Becs, all of her incredible stories, her amazing adventure of running the Great World Race and seven marathons on seven continents in seven days, and all of the incredible training that had to lead up to that and the time that she had to put in to do that. And I'm thinking to myself, of course in the back of my head that wow, Austin is a champ because clearly he is picking up the slack for so much of what had to happen at home with your daughter Tallulah and everything else that has to happen on the home front when someone is undertaking an adventure like that. So what was it like from your perspective to see and be a part of Becs accomplishing this unbelievable adventure of the Great World Race?
Austin: I mean, nothing short of incredible to see Becs accomplish it. We were down in Miami for the final finish line of the seven and we had friends, family, some of Becs' colleagues, and I always find races to be the celebration in many ways. But what you don't see is the behind the scenes, the runs that Becs doesn't want to leave because Tallulah is asking again where mommy's going. And there were a lot of daddy daughter dates on the weekends and some of those longer runs. We tried to incorporate sharing some miles, some stroller miles together in the late summer before it got too cold. But yeah, I don't think people realize how much of a sacrifice it is to let alone train for a marathon, but then seven. And we talked about it going into it that there was going to be probably some difficult conversations, times, et cetera. And we reached some of those bits towards the end and I think Becs was ready for the race to be done, but we were able to continue to find the best balance we could once we were getting close to the race start. And then it's just when you're trying to squeeze in a FaceTime between flights and continents and time changes, and just to wish Becs good luck and this is what it was all for, it's all worth it. So yeah, I still can't comprehend. It's not like I'm not a runner. I run, I still can't comprehend a race of this magnitude. So yeah, still processing it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I will never ever comprehend what Becs did and others who accomplished that feat, with her others who have done it before and since then, it boggles the mind.
Austin: It surely does. I have one long run a week at the moment and that is circled on the calendar each week. I'm just like, all right, I've got to build myself up. And that was almost every day for what Becs was training, and she was able to meet a lot of now close friends through that race and everyone has their own story of how they got to that start line and to the finish line. So yeah, it was quite special.
Becs: I work to inspire even that, but you definitely did hold down the fort and allowed me the time on my feet, which got me to the finish line. So it was a team effort. I want to know though, did my training in many ways, seeing as you were so close to it first hand, inspire you or change your mindset at all going into your current block of training?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Which is for the London Marathon, right Austin?
Austin: For London, yeah. Which will be the fifth star, chasing the sixth and-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Nice.
Austin: ... a couple more after that. Yeah, it did. I think there was always a talk, that the stars conversation came quite quickly after I had run Boston, and that was my first major. I qualified for that. I ran it. It was a terrible year weather- wise, and I had heard about the stars, but it was not anything I had thought of. And then in 2023, Chicago and New York just came up quite quickly and suddenly I was at three stars. And then Becs wanted to do Tokyo and I wasn't going to go all that way and not run. So there was four. So after Tokyo I had the idea just based on Tallulah's age, it would be nice to run Berlin in the fall of 2024 and then run London this year. And Tallulah, not that her memory is set in stone right now, but she would be able to kind of experience, and then also knowing Becs connection to the UK, it'd be nice to finish in London. And when Becs was training for the 7, 7, 7 I started to go for a few longer runs to just see what was in the tank and just based on our schedules, both also trying to balance work too and being parents, I just didn't have that fire within me. And so Berlin was kind of scrapped for 2024 and just was like, let's just get through Becs' race and then I can refocus. But it was quickly reignited in Miami, seeing Becs finish with some of her friends and just like, " Okay, I want to have that feeling again." Because I treat running quite... You learn so much about yourself each kind of training block, and I'm not one to just line up a multitude of races. I kind of like to just sit back for a little bit, and London couldn't come at a better time. So definitely excited to be in this training cycle. Becs is coaching me, which is the first time she's coached me in a race. So there's that balance, but just feeling accomplished after each tough workout and rebuilding again.
Becs: We go through phases of I will give him his training plan for the week and he will just sit in silence, and especially before the speed workout days, I can feel him glaring at me over the counter in the kitchen of like, " I don't want to talk to you right now because this is a horrible workout." And then I can tell whether it's been a good workout or not of how quickly he text me after it's done and his tone. Like, uh- oh, maybe I should not go home for a minute and just let him calm down, or it's okay, he really crushed this workout. But as we're getting closer, I'm kind of sending him his workouts with trepidation.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What's interesting to me in listening to you guys talk about your respective running challenges is the way that you do have to support each other in what each of you is trying to accomplish. And I think all runners who are people with kids and families, if you're out there running marathons, whether it's one or you're going for the six stars or you're going to next level stuff like what Becs did or Ultras or whatever it might be, you simply can't do it without some level of support. And I've met all the kinds of couples. I've met the couples where one is running like crazy and the other one doesn't run and doesn't understand why anybody would run, which can be challenging because one's like, " Well what are you doing? Why are you doing this?" Although sometimes that works kind of like the, " Hey, whatever keeps that person happy and calm makes me happy." Sometimes you've got the double runner couple, which you guys obviously are, and I think in some ways that's ideal because there's an understanding that each of you has as to what the other one's trying to do, and that question of why maybe doesn't exist because you each understand intuitively the why, and it makes it a little easier to support. And then you guys are really next level because you're not just understanding, but you're coaching, especially Becs, you coaching Austin, or Austin you supporting Becs at the high level given what she had to do in November. So you really are in a lot of ways a model. What do you think, and I'll ask Austin, since you're our guest, I'll ask you, what do you think other couples, other sets of partners out there who are trying to do these things can take from what you and Becs have learned about supporting each other through these races?
Austin: Going back to what you just said about having a support system. And I had a specific goal that I wanted to hit on a time and I achieved that, but I look back at that and you always hold a PR close to you and you say, " Will I ever hit it again? And my life was very different. I was single. I didn't have a dog, I could train. Really the only thing in my way was work, but I could train whenever I wanted to. And our life is much different now. Becs and our relationship, we have Tallulah, we have two dogs, we both have careers that we're trying to build. And more so I guess my career, I've stepped away from a typical 9: 00 to 5:00 job and out on my own. And so you're always asking yourself, " I could be working in this time, I could be doing this." And there have been runs that have been very tough. If Tallulah's a little sick or under the weather, just fussy, she's a toddler, to just be like, " Becs, you got it? I got to go do this." And I know on the same side, Becs has had to step out for some runs and it's just like, " Yeah, I got it." So advice? What works for Becs and I, and I don't know if it's advice but it's advice for us is, I know how much a workout can change our mindsets and just our energy for the day. So getting out there, I know it very much fills Becs' cup up. There's been times where I've just told her to go for a run. I said, " Hey, you need to just go out for a run."
Rob Simmelkjaer: I can imagine what kind of circumstances might've caused you to say that. Yeah, just like, " You know what sweetheart, maybe you should just go for a run maybe, like now."
Austin: And then I see her Strava or something, it's like 18 mile run, six- minute phase. You're just like, " Okay, I think that was a good shout on my part." I don't know where I came across this bit of information, it was more related to parenting, but I think we've applied this into other aspects of our relationship is, there's days that you're going to be at 80% and your partner might be at 20%. And there might be days that you're at 40 and they're at 40. And just to check in with each other and see where they're at and see what they need. And if you're both at an equal level and low, " Hey, how can we get ourselves back? How can we get through this next bit?" Whatever, it's the afternoon, the day, the week, whatever. So I think that helps quite a bit. But yeah, like you said, there's relationship set. There's a runner in the family and the other person doesn't step on an exercise equipment, they get their fix from whether it be watching sports or playing sports, et cetera. But balance is certainly key for us, I think.
Becs: I think finding out also what helps each other on the flip side to recover is key as well. Because you know that any strenuous exercise is going to take energy from a human. That's just what happens. But knowing how each person can come back from that, because as you train, you get stronger and you don't maybe necessarily need to spend the rest of the afternoon on the couch after your long run, which is fine to do. But when you have other responsibilities in life, it's knowing, okay, when Aus comes back from a run, it's, I'm going to get his rehydration stuff out and ready. The water is poured and there'll be a smoothie... If I had made a smoothie for Tallulah and I whilst he's out, make sure I've made enough and it's in the fridge. And if T and I are out, it's all on a post- it note of just like, " Hey babe, I got you. This is going to help you recover and also help you get back onto parenting." In a way, because you don't want that guilt. I know I felt that guilt a lot and Aus did that for me last year. Was helping my recovery, helping my post- run lineup be efficient so I could get back to being mom. And I didn't have that guilt of extra time rolling through. So I think that's a piece of advice. If you have dogs and not kids, get the dogs out for a walk and then you don't have to worry about them. You can go back to being a couple as soon as possible after the shower and then that person can get in the boots or whatever it is to get their recovery going and feeling back to their primary role, whatever that may be. But yeah, it's fun.
Rob Simmelkjaer: No doubt about it.
Becs: It's very fun.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Recovery is part of the run. It's a big part of the run. So Austin, let's talk about London. First of all, excited for you. That's going to be your fifth star you said. By the way, starting in Boston is unusual. That's amazing that you qualify and obviously you're a very good runner to start out with a qualifying run in Boston as your first star. I think that's the stars that are most likely to be the last star someone gets, from what I've seen in my travels, and I think I've seen the data on this from the Abbott World Marathon Majors. Folks are Tokyo and Boston, those are the two that people generally struggle to get. So you got those in your pocket already. Now you're sweeping up the relatively easier ones to get. What is your goal in London? Do you have a goal other than just to get that star? A PR or anything like that in your sights? So how are you thinking about it?
Austin: Yeah, I do have a time kind of goal and it's not a PR, it's just I think a pretty solid effort. My PR is, I broke three hours, I ran 2: 57 and that's what qualified me for Boston. And I would like to think that I can do that again. But Chicago, New York and Tokyo were three marathons in, it's called six months from 2023 to 2024. And I felt a bit broken. Even going into Chicago, I was having achilles issues, but I had already had the bibs for New York and Tokyo. So at that point it was just kind of get through the races. And so Chicago, I actually had quite a bit of fun in Chicago. It wasn't until about mile 20- ish that I had some achilles issues that flared up. And then New York-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Those are tough, by the way, the achilles thing is a really tough thing to deal with.
Becs: Very tough.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I've been lucky never to have had that. It's scary because you know that thing goes and you're going to be sitting for a long time.
Austin: Yeah. I think the last race I had done before Chicago was actually an Ironman, and it was like the last two miles I felt my achilles and calf kind of starting to, and this wasn't issues I was having with my achilles, it was just the end of a long day, that my body was just trying to say, " Yeah, we're done, we want to be done." But going into Chicago, I don't know if it was I got a bib quite late and tried to ramp up my mileage a little bit too quickly. Since Tokyo, I've started to get back into the gym to do some strength training. Again, though, before Tallulah, we were able to go to the gym for two, three hours and run for an hour and lift for an hour and recover, but time is very crucial now. So I think I put the gym and the strength training on the back burner and I paid for it. So New York though was just a fun day celebrating in the city. I had a few friends that wanted to run. They had a goal time around like 3: 30, and I was like, " This is great. This should be a nice run." And we came in a little over that, but just we had so much fun that day. And then Tokyo, I was so sick after the holidays in January and February. I think I had run less than 50 miles of training total before that race. So that was just a tough day and a tough course. We were talking about that for a second there in the pre- show, but it's a tough course. There's so many out and backs, its sensory overload. To go-
Rob Simmelkjaer: The jet lag, everything is hard.
Austin: Yeah, all of it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It really is a hard race, for Americans. For people coming from this side of the world. Yeah.
Austin: Very much. But then you think someone in that part of the world that wants the six stars, they're coming over for three races in the US and two in Europe. So yeah, but just going into London, I wanted to see if I could touch back into some of that lower threes. And right now training is going pretty well. I think both the coaching has helped tremendously from Becs, and then also finding a balance in the gym, strength training and also the running. So I'm excited to see what London has. It's a city that I've grown to really love and spend a lot of time in. And from what Becs has shared with me, I haven't done too much research on the course, but you see a lot. It's a nice sightseeing tour as well. So yeah, very excited for London. We have some friends that will be running it as well. I think my mom is coming out to support, and yeah, Becs and Tallulah will be on the sidelines.
Becs: Yeah we will. All right, let's get to the nitty- gritty though. The thing that everybody talks about for London and Boston, especially over here and in the UK, Europe, is the training through winter. So quick fire question. Summer training guy or winter training guy?
Austin: Summer. After coming out of this winter, summer training.
Becs: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You and me both my friend. Absolutely.
Becs: It is brutal if you don't have access-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Dark, cold, windy.
Becs: ... to a treadmill, it's terrible. Yeah, daylight hours are minimal. It's tough. And I think going into these spring races, that is an extra element of congratulatory love to send to all of our runners going into London and Boston this year. But you mentioned earlier you ran Boston in the famous year that the weather took a drastic turn for the worst. So you finished it. There were some very notable elite runners who bailed on the day, understandably so. Their careers are kind of on the line and they didn't want to get sick ahead of certain things. But you and a friend battled the elements all the way. All the to Boston and finished like a pair of drowned rats, but looking lovely. But what advice would you give to anyone, because at this point of recording, we're a long way from both races, so we can't really see the weather forecast. What advice would you give to anyone who's running London or Boston and the weather may take a turn, what would you say?
Austin: I would say experiencing Boston that year, I think it was 2019, 2018 maybe. But yeah, the famous year of just brutal weather. And at that time, I really didn't know how much of a privilege it was to run Boston and the six stars, it being like most people's last, that or Tokyo. What I did know and felt was this was a few years past the bombings and the terrible finish line, there was this sense of community and a privilege to run it. So the Boston Strong motto just kind of resonated quite well. And I think that going into London, if the weather's poor, really just what a privilege it is to be able to run one of the six majors. And at that time, I just kind of threw out any goals or expectations for the race. It was more of just, " Hey, this is going to be a run to the finish line." And I still ended up having a great day despite the weather. Duct taping on shoes and just kind of lowered the head and battled the winds and rains. So it was a very tough day in Boston that day, but I mean, winter training kind of gets you through and preps you the most for I think some of these spring races because there are plenty of cold. The wind in New York recently has been crazy strong. You either have a nice tailwind going up or back, but at one point you're going to have to face it. So I think going into London, yeah, it's just like, " All right, I've been through this with the training." So just tapping back into that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What the winter training does not always prepare you that well for is a 70 degree day, which is what we had in Tokyo. And you never know, you could certainly have in London. It's not known for warm, sunny days per se, especially not in April. But I feel like in London you could get three seasons in one race. I feel like that's the thing about London.
Becs: Totally.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You could get a beautiful spring day and a cold winter day and a rainy day all in the same race.
Becs: I agree. I will actually say the same for Boston. The year I ran Boston, which was 2019, I woke up to- ... I woke up to ... So yours is 2018, because I remember waking up and seeing literally sideways rain out the window and being like, " Oh, no, it's going to be the same as it was last year, this is awful." I left my aunt's house head- to- toe in bin bags, covered, and I had my spare pair of shoes and my spare pair of socks bundled up inside. I was prepared for everything. By the time we started that race, it had dried, the rain had stopped, but it was still wet underfoot. By the time we finished, I finished that race and then the continuation of that day, Rob, it got to mid- sixties in Boston, so it really was multi seasons in the day for Boston too. So it can be just this wild experience of waking up with dread and finishing with dehydration. Don't do that though, everyone. But yeah, London's going to be very interesting I think. Let's talk a little bit about your running journey. So obviously having come from hockey to Ironman to running marathons, just road running, is there a part of you that after you complete the six stars, whenever that happens, do you think you're going to return to Ironman training or something else?
Austin: Something else seems like a loaded question there. Should I be? No, yeah-
Becs: Yeah, I signed you up for The Great World Race.
Austin: Yeah. We actually have a handshake agreement, and you heard it here first. What was it we made?
Becs: I don't remember.
Austin: I would do the Great World Race if you did a triathlon, it was something ...
Becs: It was the other way round. I said if you do the Great World Race, I will do a triathlon.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Really?
Austin: Yeah, something like that, like an Ironman.
Becs: I think I'm pretty safe.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I was going to say, after watching Becs do it, Austin, is there a chance this could happen or maybe zero chance?
Austin: Yeah, she would say zero, I'd say about 5%.
Becs: I am so ...
Rob Simmelkjaer: In the famous words of, I believe it was Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber, so you're saying there's a chance.
Austin: Yes.
Becs: Terrible, terrible.
Austin: So the six stars is obviously ... it became a reality like 2023 and it looks like I'll be on track to finish within possibly this year with Berlin in the fall. Iron Man? Yeah, I would like to do another one. I think there's a goal time that I have that I was quite close on the last one. And it was also before Tallulah. The training for that is just so much time. The efforts, I'd be very ... Becs is about to start training for her next race. And she went from training just endurance. I was actually her coach on some of those long runs to slow her up actually for pace to just time on feet to now touching back into speed. And I think that's when, when you're training for a marathon and you do have a goal time, you are doing speed workouts. And they're tough workouts. It's putting you quite uncomfortable. Where with an Ironman, I know a lot of athletes do have crazy goal times, and some of the times I can't even fathom how they are doing that for nine hours or eight hours.
Becs: How long it would take me to swim it.
Austin: But it's really just, for how I take it is, it's really just endurance, the time on feet, quote, unquote, that Becs experienced for The Great World Race. And yeah, I'm enjoying this process right now, training for a marathon. I think it's a really good balance of having time for our relationship, to be a parent, to do other things outside of fitness. And Ironman is a bit time- consuming. So yeah, right now I'm focused on just getting these two done. I hit a goal ton in the marathon, I'm happy with that. If I never hit it again, I'm like, cool, that's what I set out to do.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Sub three hours, which was ... What was the exact time?
Austin: 2: 57 and some change.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And that was where?
Austin: It was the New Jersey marathon.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Jersey City, okay, good one.
Austin: Not Jersey City, it was in Asbury Park.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Asbury Park, okay, cool.
Austin: So it was a small race. I worked with the pacing group. It was just maybe 300 runners, maybe a little bit more, but it wasn't a big race.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Amazing, amazing. Lots of space. Yeah, well, that can make it easier, space to run. Absolutely.
Austin: Exactly. And that was a springtime race. So yeah, right now just the goals are set on the two marathons. I would love to get back into some ice hockey at some point. Not necessarily playing, but coaching to some level, quite difficult in New York, but that would be something down the road. But right now it's just trying to just enjoy each race. That's how I look at it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well, I am of course the CEO of New York Road Runners, and so I will always say, and I'm also a native New Yorker, that the TCS New York City Marathon is the greatest marathon in the world.
Austin: Absolutely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That said, with respect to all of our colleagues at the other majors, I generally believe, and I haven't run it yet, but I've been there, I've experienced it, I've talked to so many six star finishers, the one that is closest to New York in terms of the experience, the environment, the crowds, the energy, the feel, all of the things that make New York special is definitely London. I think London has that passion in the community for the event, the crowds are massive. And then the route and that incredible spectacular finish in the shadow of Buckingham Palace, nobody else can offer that obviously. It's a really special one. So I think you're going to have a great time. What are you most looking forward to in terms of going over there, being in London and running that race, is it the race? Is it just being over there? What are you most excited about?
Austin: Right now I think it's-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Seeing Becs in her native element?
Austin: No, I think having a good run, honestly, this is maybe a little bit taboo to say, but the beer afterwards with the friends.
Becs: The hot beer.
Austin: Yeah, the lukewarm beer that London serves.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Not taboo at all by the way, the beer I had in Tokyo was epic.
Austin: Yeah, I mean, the funniest thing, the first marathon I ever did was the Philly marathon, and my friends had run it the year before, and they were like, there's an out and back along Kelly Drive that turns around in a little town called Manayunk, which is a very post- college grad area to live. So there's a lot of bars and it gets a bit rowdy there. And I remember them saying that they had a beer, they were giving out beer on the course at the turnaround. And so the next year I was running it with my twin sister. And I was like, " I'm going to have a beer at the turnaround." And I remember passing that booth and just the smell of beer at that point I was just like, no way would I ever think of that. It's not until you're done, that post drink celebratory feeling hit. So yeah, I have some good friends, Becs and I have some good friends in London. Two of them are running. And we've got some plans afterwards. I don't know, where are we going, Becs, there was some pub or something that they-
Becs: I'm not putting that out there on this thing.
Austin: (inaudible)
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, there's lots of pubs. Saying you'll be in a pub in London is like, there's no way.
Becs: We'll be south of the river.
Austin: It'll be like, the Blue Crow Door and you look it up on Google Maps and there's 15.
Becs: The Red Lion, there's a hundred Red Lions.
Austin: Yeah, The Red Lion, there's just a hundred of them. You're like, " Which owner?" But yeah, we'll see some friends after. One of them, he actually just had a newborn that's almost, not a newborn, she's almost a year old, so we'll get to meet her. Yeah, so will be fun.
Becs: The dad's running.
Austin: Yeah, the dad's running. But yeah, to take it in, I think New York is ... I've lived in New York now for 12 years. And just each neighborhood you run through, you almost run through different chapters of your life if you've spent that much time here and experience it. And I'm sure the same, I won't have the exact same connections running through London, but I'm sure you get that sense. If you're not from New York and run New York marathon, you see the different neighborhoods and can piece together what that is. So yeah, I'm excited for London very much.
Becs: It is a good one for seeing different parts, same as Boston. There's Boston central where you finish, London central where you finish. But because they're point to point races, you do get to see parts of London that maybe as a first time tourist visitor, maybe even a second time tourist visitor, you don't go to. Going down to Greenwich is a trek. The park is beautiful, but not everybody goes there on their first and maybe even second trip to London. But starting there and then winding through those really cute little villages into the city and then back out to Canary Wharf, which is our extended financial district in London, you get to see so much more of this cool city. And the big mixture that I love the most about the route in London is the old and the new. So when you get to see Canary Wharf, is so new compared to Blackfriars and the areas that you run through on the last let's say five miles of the race are so old and historic. You're running alongside the Embankment with Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament in front of you. As Rob said, finishing at Buckingham Palace where the king will be waving you on. It's such a magical place. I hope it's sunny because the year I ran London, which was 2016, oh my gosh, 2016, so long ago, and it was a spring day and there was crocuses and little flowers all over the park. And it was such a beautiful place to start that being from the UK, I hope that you get to see that.
Austin: Yeah, and you may have a different opinion on this, but when we've spent our time in London, it's quite a hard city to run in. Whereas New York, you've got a lot of different running paths in Brooklyn, Manhattan, you've got Central Park, you've got Prospect Park. There's so many different routes you can take if you need to go for a longer run. Where London is ... I've enjoyed some of our runs, but it's always stop- start. Hyde Park's not a huge park.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Not that big.
Austin: It's big but it's not that big.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hyde Park is big, but it's not Central Park, you can't run a six- mile loop in Hyde Park.
Austin: Exactly. Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Tokyo is worse. Tokyo, there's nowhere to run in Tokyo. You can go run that loop around the palace.
Austin: But that's it. It was 5K.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's a couple of miles, but otherwise you're just out in the streets. People don't, I think they do, but if you don't, if you're a New Yorker and if you're listening to this podcast, you're probably part of the New York runners community, how lucky we are in New York City to have both Central Park and the routes that we have along the waterfronts. I think next to Boston or along with Boston, these are the great places to run. Chicago too, along the lake front. We've got great places to run in these big running cities in the United States. And that just doesn't exist in a lot of these other places.
Austin: Yeah, you could go from the tip of Manhattan up to the George Washington Bridge uninterrupted on the path. And that's, what, 16 miles?
Rob Simmelkjaer: It sounds about right. I don't know. Maybe 12.
Becs: 12.
Austin: 12. Okay. Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I was saying 11 or 12, yeah. But yeah, you can do your whole long run just up and down the west side, absolutely, and be on the water the entire time.
Austin: Yeah, if you want to cut in, you can cut into Central Park in a number of different levels, you've got the bridge.
Becs: Yeah, we're spoiled.
Austin: We're very spoiled to be able to ... We looked at a house that was a little bit further into Brooklyn. And one of the things that I mentioned was just, hey, this is now a three- mile just to get to ...
Becs: (inaudible) Park.
Austin: That's unheard of in New York because if you live in Manhattan, I think the widest part of the city is two and a half miles. So if you live in the-
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right, just under three miles that's right.
Austin: You are less than a mile and a half to at least the east or the west side and then you can start your run.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right.
Austin: When we travel to different cities, it's just like, oh, okay, this is the only path I can run on.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, it's a great, great running city.
Austin: So yeah, we're very spoiled. I'm excited to run through London and just have the streets closed down and just have a fun day.
Becs: Hear all those Londoners cheering you on.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right. And those lovely, lovely accents. Okay, Austin, so let's get down to business here. So you're going to get your fifth star in London. Berlin, you almost ran once, decided not to do it, that's going to be-
Becs: We ended up going on a beach holiday instead. Let's be honest, Austin, I said to you, you can run Berlin or we can go to the Cayman Islands for a really nice beach weekend holiday. And he was like, "Oh, I'll take the Cayman Islands."
Rob Simmelkjaer: I can't exactly blame him on that choice, but okay, either work really hard and run 26. 2 miles-
Austin: She called me out.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Or have a pina colada on the beach. It's a very understandable choice that you made there, Austin. But now with only this one star remaining, it's going to be sitting there waiting for you. How would you like to run the BMW Berlin Marathon this fall, would that be something that would interest you?
Austin: I would love to.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well, I think that we can make that happen for you, Austin. In fact, we are going to make that happen for you. Assuming you actually finish in London. We're going to ... If you don't finish, then the deal's off. But we're going to hand you a bib for the BMW Berlin Marathon this fall, 2025, through our relationship with them through Abbott World Marathon Majors. We're fortunate to have some. And we are pleased to present you that opportunity to run. So what do you think about that? No Cayman Islands this year. What do you think?
Austin: No Cayman Islands this year. Sorry, Becs. One, greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for making that happen to you, Becs and the New York Road Runners team. Yeah, that will round it out and finish things up on the six stars. So a little speechless, thank you.
Becs: I promise you we will go to a European island after for a vacation.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I think that will be deserved, I think that will be deserved.
Austin: Fair enough. I will be enjoying the summer training very much.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, I've been there and done that, and it's nice, the long days, so much opportunity to run. Yeah, that should give you a little extra motivation as you get ready for London and course your way through that race knowing that that six star is there for you if you want it this September. And we know you do. So wish you all the best getting ready for London and for your day there. And it's always great to have you and get a little look inside the world of Becs Gentry other than what she does on Peloton and in our podcast, the man who is behind all that.
Austin: Rob, if you want me back for the third time, you and I can just do one.
Becs: Edge me out. Edge me out.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I like that, we can just talk about Becs on a show, I think that's a great idea.
Becs: Not allowed, not allowed, no, vetoed.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Austin, great to see you, good luck in London.
Austin: You as well.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Thank you. Teresita Gonzalez took up running in 2018 and soon after her brother Luis followed suit. Then after many years sitting in the grandstands watching her two children run the marathon, their mother decided to lace up herself, completing her first New York City Marathon at the age of 65. But it doesn't stop there, keep your eyes out for this coming November 2nd, because in this year's 2025 TCS New York City Marathon, the Gonzalez family will be all in. Teresita, Luis, their mother and their youngest sister will all be on the start line together. Teresita and Luis are here with us today to talk about running, family and their upcoming spring marathons. Take it away, Meb.
Meb: Thanks Rob. Teresita, looking at your race history, it seems like you were the first in the family to start running back in 2018, what got you started?
Teresita Gonzalez: Some health issues that arose in 2017, I decided to do a 5K. After liking my 5K, I decided to venture off onto the New York City Marathon website, and I saw that I could run the New York City Marathon in 2018. I discovered Team for Kids, and I ran my first New York City Marathon in 2018. We were fundraising for a wonderful cause.
Meb: Awesome, Teresita. And you have your brother, Luis. Was it Teresita, Luis, who inspired you to start running or was there another moment that pulled you in?
Luis Gonzalez: I grew up playing soccer, so I think she was the catalyst behind the decision. We did try to do a 9+ 1 one year, I think the year before COVID. So I was in line to run the marathon that following year. But then one night we stayed out too late and I missed one of my races the next morning. And so then I had to wait until the year after and because I didn't have my 9+ 1, the only way I could sign up to run the New York City Marathon was fundraising through Team for Kids. So that's how it all came together.
Meb: So sports has been part of your family. I love soccer as well. But your mother's story is incredible. She went from watching you race to running a marathon at 65. What was it like crossing that finish line with your 65- year- old mother?
Luis Gonzalez: We grew up on the course, we grew up on Fourth Avenue, so every year the marathon was always the first Sunday in November, it was always around my birthday. So it was always a good thing to go just run up the street and see all the runners, get the high five, just putting your hand out, just watching everybody run. And in my head I'm always like, these people are crazy, 26 miles, I would never do this. And then you fast- forward 20 years later, there I am lining up at the start line.
Meb: What's your perspective, Teresita, on your finish with your mother?
Teresita Gonzalez: It was emotional, I had a little bit more experience with my mom because I was helping her train. I decided to take back my running season that year to help her through the run, walking segments, help train her. That way she felt comfortable. And being able to see firsthand the emotional and physical wellbeing that it did to her was great. And then having our family along the course cheering us on, our nieces, our nephew, our cousins, the whole family out there was very exciting and was very heartwarming. And now I look forward to this November, sharing that experience now with my little sister.
Meb: This is incredible story. So this November, this coming year, your whole family, Team Gonzalez, your mother, your younger sister, and the two of you will be running NYC together. What does that mean to you?
Teresita Gonzalez: For me, it's a full circle. Lots of things are happening this year for me personally. But being able to put my sister out there, have her train for a marathon, for her to get to know her body on another level, it's just good family moments for me and happiness all around.
Meb: Wonderful. What about you, Luis?
Luis Gonzalez: The same thing. Sometimes you take time for granted, you take family for granted, you're always busy. New York City's very fast- paced, you work, work, work, work, work. And then you don't have time for anything else. Even training for your own marathon, you're like, okay, where do you fit in the time? Do you have to wake up earlier? It's still 24 hours in a day, so you got to make the time. So I think this is good for the whole family to kind of ... it's a good time to spend together. When we trained with my mom, we would take her with all our friends, introduce her to everybody and be like, " Hey Ma, you have to say hi to these people, these are our friends. These are the people that are helping you that donated to your cause, you have to be polite." And then for my sister, we're trying to help her break out of her shell. And I feel like this will be fun for her, for her to get this mental aspect of her, build her resilience up, see what you're capable of. There is a lot more to do out there. And being able to, for us to travel 26.2 miles together, I think it'll be a great moment. And the pictures that we have from last year are forever.
Meb: Absolutely. Family that runs together sticks together. And to see you guys in a positive environment is amazing. So, Teresita, you were one of the just six women accepted into NYRR's first ever Game Changers cohort. Can you tell us what that program is and what it means for you as a coach?
Teresita Gonzalez: Game Changer is a program founded by Vanessa. She is on a mission to increase the number of women of color in the running industry. So for this cohort, she partnered up with New York Road Runners and Brooks. And this is a focus within the five boroughs. I was one of the six, about 50 women applied in New York City of color. And this is very special to me. Since 2019, I've been mentoring with Team for Kids, so I've had friends and family pitch the idea that maybe I should take up being a running coach. But I just didn't have the time for it back then. And now with this cohort, things aligned for me. And now I have the time to be able to dedicate myself to study, look up different ... just study and do lots of research on what it is to become a running coach. And I look forward to helping people step on the start line for their marathons.
Meb: Pretty incredible. You have case study with your family, do a lot of research on, so keep it up. Luis, how is your training going for the London Marathon?
Luis Gonzalez: I think it's been pretty good. I guess, this would be my third spring marathon. It's always hard. And this has been the coldest one I would say. I'm a bigger fan of the cold, but sometimes the cold is just ... with the wind and everything like that. When you're trying to get the speed workouts and you got a headwind instead of a tailwind, it's a little rough. But it's always good, half the battle is just getting out there and then the rest just comes.
Meb: The hardest part is lacing the shoes up and getting out the door. Once you get out, you're going to get it done and you're going to get even motivated and also inspire others who watch you run. So good luck there. And then, Teresa, you are taking the Boston marathon and London within weeks to earn your six star medal. What's your game plan for recovery between the two races?
Teresita Gonzalez: I'm coming back home that Monday night from Boston, so I'm just going to rest, hydrate and do lots of ice baths. That way I can have some fresh legs for the following Sunday.
Meb: From Monday to Sunday, right?
Teresita Gonzalez: From Monday to Sunday, yes.
Meb: Incredible. Well, I'm so delighted to interview you guys. And thank you for all the hard work that you do for Team for Kids and Team Gonzalez. 2025 is going to be special. So I wish you guys all the best.
Teresita Gonzalez: Thank you so much, Meb.
Luis Gonzalez: Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right, thank you, Meb. And thank you Teresita and Luis for joining us and for being members of New York Road Runners and Team for Kids. Great story. Now today's Meb Minute.
Meb: Traveling is important. You know me, I'm a visualization person, I visualize my race, but I also visualize my packing list. So when you are traveling for a race, make sure you book your flights and hotels early. Arrive to a destination early. Pack all the necessaries on carry- on. I cannot emphasize on this one because I made one big mistake. There's a law that says Murphy's Law, anything that can go wrong, it will go wrong. And on a direct flight from San Diego to New York, I had my first daughter, and we are going to travel. How can anything get lost on a direct flight? I did not have my carry- on. I just packed everything check in. And my luggage never made it. So be careful as you plan your travels. Carry- on is the way to go. Sometimes time zone, time zone accumulation or adaptation is important. For me, I used to get up, when I was in the West Coast, get up really early, 5 AM my time, which is 8 AM in Eastern Standard Time. So you have to be really careful. And as you travel, gets on that plane, before the plane, you got a lot of things going on. But once you get on the plane, you are out of control. Do what you can, just now relax. As you travel, walk around. It's important to move around in the plane. Sometimes you go where the flight attendants sit, go there and stretch a little bit. Tell them about yourself. You're getting ready for a half marathon, getting ready for a marathon. The flight attendant might be kind enough to give you water or snacks and things like that. So my thing is think ahead, travel well and run to win to the best that you can on race day. And more importantly, have fun once you get to the destination. Think about the race, smell the air, feel the temperature, and soak in all the atmosphere because you are celebrating one of the great accomplishments you're going to achieve.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well, that does it for a true marathon episode of Set The Pace. We had to give you that of course. Thanks to today's guests, Corey Wharton Malcolm, Austin Curtis and Teresita and Luis Gonzalez. Great conversations with all of you. Remember, if you like this episode, make sure you subscribe, rate it or leave a comment or review so other folks can find it as well. Enjoy the miles everybody. We'll see you for our special 100th edition of Set The Pace next week.