Alana Levy: I love the Brooklyn Half course, and I'm obsessed with this race. This will be my eighth time running it. And what's cool about it is how many different ways I have run this race. And I think at this point I feel ready to talk about it and talk about the best parts and the best strategies around it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Thank you. Thank you very much and welcome everybody to Set the Pace, the official podcast of New York Road Runners, presented by Peloton. I'm Rob Simmelkjaer, the CEO of New York Road Runners and co- host of Set the Pace. And with me to my left, my amazing co- host from Peloton, can we give it up for Becs Gentry.
Becs Gentry: Hello.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hello, Becs.
Becs Gentry: Hi.
Rob Simmelkjaer: How are you?
Becs Gentry: Good. Good to see you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's great to see you. It's been a while since I've seen Becs because Becs husband, partner, Austin, went off and ran the London Marathon-
Becs Gentry: He did.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Not long ago and you all took a little European vacation after that, which sounded lovely. How was it?
Becs Gentry: It was amazing. And you're welcome, I brought the sun back with me. It just took me to arrive at a New York Road Runners event for it to come out. But no, it was fantastic. It was so good to see everybody crushing London. What a hot day, might be a little bit like tomorrow. Wait, what day is it? I have no idea what day it is. Whenever the race is.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Today is Thursday. The race is Saturday. Don't worry.
Becs Gentry: The race is Saturday.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We'll figure it out.
Becs Gentry: I've got this. I'm still on a beach. But no, it was such a wonderful race. Congrats to anyone who ran London Marathon out there as well. Great, great event.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well, for those of you who are listening out there, you might hear some crowd noise. That's because we are live at the RBC Brooklyn Half pre- party presented by New Balance. And it's a thrill to be here-
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: At Brooklyn Bridge Park, Pier number two. And, yes, it's Thursday. We're here-
Becs Gentry: Thursday. There you go.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Speaking, recording this on Thursday. A much nicer day than we had yesterday. The sun has come out, it's a beautiful day all of a sudden as we watch runners streaming in to pick up their race bibs for the RBC Brooklyn Half coming up on Saturday. We could not be more excited. Becs, the sun came out so suddenly-
Becs Gentry: So suddenly. I'm sweating.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And we've got this spectacular view of New York Harbor, Lower Manhattan. The Statue of Liberty is right in front of us.
Becs Gentry: Which you haven't been able to see all day because it's been foggy.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Not for the last two days.
Becs Gentry: No.
Rob Simmelkjaer: But it all opened up. It's gorgeous. And so much so that we needed some last- minute sunglasses.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So I want to thank our friends at Knockaround Sunglasses for giving us some last- second shades. Anybody out there who-
Becs Gentry: They're fabulous.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Suddenly finds themselves blinded by the sun, go get yourselves some Knockaround shades. They are fantastic.
Becs Gentry: They're so good. They're chic too. I think we all look pretty good.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well, Becs, we're so excited. This by the way, this party, this pre- party is just the first party of the weekend.
Becs Gentry: I know.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Because there'll be another party on Saturday, of course. That is the RBC Brooklyn Half, 13. 1 miles to Coney Island. And then after that we're going to have another party, the epic RBC Brooklyn Half After- Party at Maimonides Ballpark. There will be live music, entertainment, and another live recording of Set the Pace. And Becs, I know you're not going to be with me, so I'll be solo-
Becs Gentry: I know.
Rob Simmelkjaer: For this one, which I'm sad about. But we're going to have an amazing guest.
Becs Gentry: I have to do my real job.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes, you got to go teach people at Peloton.
Becs Gentry: I do. I do.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That is what you get paid to do. We understand. But we're going to have an amazing guest at the after party on Saturday. Dancing with the Stars, Alan Bersten-
Becs Gentry: Wow.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Will be our guest. Don't miss that. And I can tell you one thing that won't happen... I'm sad you won't be there because I was hoping Alan would have someone to dance with at that show. And I can tell you one thing, it will not be me. I will not be dancing.
Becs Gentry: I'm a runner. We move in one plane of motion. I do not dance well. Austin is embarrassed when I start to dance.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I think Alan Bersten could teach you a couple of moves.
Becs Gentry: I'd take it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And there's no way he could teach me anything. So anyway, you can look forward to that. That'll be another special episode of Set the Pace, and we can't wait. Try the Peloton app for free and access classes for every type of runner, whether you're training for your first race or you're a seasoned pro. From outdoor runs and intervals to strength, yoga, and stretching, you'll find a perfect fit for every part of your routine. Whether it's long run day or you just need a quick five- minute reset, the Peloton app meets you where you are and helps you become a stronger, faster runner because it's designed for someone like you. Try the app for free for 30 days and download it now from the App Store or Google Play. Terms apply. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner of New York Road Runners. Our event schedule at the RBC Brooklyn Half pre- party presented by New Balance is packed. So to keep things moving, we're going to have a super speedy show today, a quick show that celebrates the stars of the RBC Brooklyn Half, our local elite runners. This is a race, Becs, that does not have a professional field. Instead, we pay tribute and highlight some of the fastest runners here in our New York City club scene.
Becs Gentry: Yep.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And we've got one of those runners here with us today.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, we do.
Rob Simmelkjaer: As well as the woman who makes it all happen, booking those guests. First I want to introduce New York Road Runners own Dorian Kail, our Director of Professional Athletes.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, Dorian.
Rob Simmelkjaer: She's got one of the coolest jobs in running. She recruits pro athletes to our big races like the Marathon, the United Airlines NYC Half. And for the RBC Brooklyn Half, she recruits our incredible local field of elite runners. And one of those runners with us today is we call them sub- elite athletes. We're going to talk about that because I feel it's kind of like-
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: A little insulting. Sub- elite.
Becs Gentry: Sub-elite. So elite.
Rob Simmelkjaer: These runners are pretty elite. But Alana Levy is here and she's one of the fastest amateur women in New York City.
Becs Gentry: Oh, yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Alana ran at Cornell where she received All East Honors at the ECACs. She has personal bests of, get this, 4: 42 in the mile, 16:29 in the 5K, and 2:40. 33 in the marathon. All those records were set within the last 18 months. And she was the first woman, New York City resident, to finish the 2024 TCS New York City Marathon with a time of 2: 42. 01. And Alana is a true Brooklyn runner because she's been running with the Brooklyn Track Club since 2018. Outside of running, by the way, Alana, your resume is ridiculous. She has an MBA from NYU Stern School of Business, an MPH from the University of Edinburgh, and she's the director of product management at Pearl Health, which is a healthcare technology startup. Hello, Dorian and Alana, welcome to the show.
Becs Gentry: Hi.
Alana Levy: Wow.
Becs Gentry: Wow.
Alana Levy: Hello.
Becs Gentry: I did not know you went to Edinburgh.
Alana Levy: I did.
Becs Gentry: As in Scotland.
Alana Levy: I love it there.
Becs Gentry: Yes.
Alana Levy: It was the most beautiful city, beautiful place.
Becs Gentry: Isn't it stunning?
Alana Levy: Yes.
Becs Gentry: Oh my gosh. Can you do a Scottish accent?
Alana Levy: Not on this podcast. Not right now.
Becs Gentry: Oh, no.
Dorian Kail: That was great.
Becs Gentry: There we go.
Dorian Kail: Wait, wait, wait. It's Alana's birthday.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes.
Becs Gentry: Everyone, it's Alana's singing.
Dorian Kail: So wait, can we sing happy birthday?
Rob Simmelkjaer: We will be getting to a little happy birthday singing.
Becs Gentry: Yeah, we will.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We're going to finish with that. We're definitely going to wish her-
Alana Levy: All right. Okay.
Becs Gentry: We have to make sure she's out of here-
Rob Simmelkjaer: A happy birthday.
Becs Gentry: For her dinner reservation.
Alana Levy: I'll have to dread it the entire time.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right. We want to hold that over your head for the entire podcast. All right, Dorian, I want to start with you and your incredibly fun job of recruiting these amazing athletes to our races. But let's talk about the field for the RBC Brooklyn Half for a second. How does one get to be a, what we call seeded runner, one of the folks who get to start right in front at the RBC Brooklyn Half running with the very best runners we have in New York City?
Dorian Kail: So Alana is part of our Seeded Athlete Program, and this is an elevated experience for the fastest athletes in the area. It's pretty cool because they get to start, they kind of have a VIP start at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. They get indoor bathrooms by the way, indoor bathrooms. That's key for your VIP start, right?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Fancy, fancy.
Dorian Kail: They get bananas, they get a little breakfast, they get to warm up, and then we put them right on the start line. When they are on the start line, we, our team, our great team takes their bags right to the finish line. So literally they cross the finish line and they get their bags right away. It's truly a VIP experience for these amazing athletes. And what's really cool about all of these athletes is that many of them are the fastest in the area. And this year's group represents 13 local running clubs and we're really proud of that. And Alana is part of the Brooklyn Track Club, so give it up for the Brooklyn Track Club.
Becs Gentry: Amazing.
Dorian Kail: Yeah. And this year we had the defending champion in the men's division, Ryan Cutter from the Brooklyn Track Club, and he happens to be running for the first time with our New York Road Runners Team for Climate, which is really cool. And we're very, very proud of that.
Becs Gentry: Yay.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We love that.
Becs Gentry: Absolutely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So for those who don't know, Team for Climate is a new thing at Road Runners that helps raise funds to help us offset or actually inset, which is prevent the carbon emissions from all the things we do and all the runners flying to the marathon and other races. So thank you to him and everybody else who's running for Team for Climate.
Becs Gentry: Absolutely.
Dorian Kail: And what I love is that last year Ryan ran a 1:04. 08, that is a 4. 54 pace. So these people are fast, they're really fast.
Becs Gentry: That's moving.
Dorian Kail: I know.
Becs Gentry: And it's not, I mean, we've got this on another podcast episode. The course is not easy. Okay.
Dorian Kail: Yeah.
Becs Gentry: Alana, you have run this race before. It's not a new one for you. And so what do you love? What is your favorite part? Because I feel like this race has got chapters to it. It could be three races. What's your favorite part?
Alana Levy: I love the Brooklyn Half course, and I'm obsessed with this race. This will be my eighth time running it. And what's cool about it is how many different ways I have run this race. And I think at this point I feel ready to talk about it and talk about the best parts and the best strategies around it. But I think my favorite part is leaving Prospect Park, you hit the downhill, you've done all of the hills, the majority of the work, and then you just hit cruise control and you go through all of these crowds and you lock in.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Alana Levy: And that's probably like a moment when you flip the switch and it's like, now is my time.
Becs Gentry: I would agree and I feel like it's the coolest thing as a human to be running on a on- ramp or an off- ramp onto a, as you call them, highways, freeways, whatever. I don't know what this one is, a motorway to us Brits, but it's cool because you're like, I didn't do this in the car, but today I get to do it as a human machine. It's pretty funky.
Alana Levy: No, it's so special because I think all of the biggest New York Road Runner races have this where you're on these massive roads and these on- ramps that you're never on before. So you have it on the FDR. In the NYC Half, you're running over the bridges, in the New York City Marathon, of course you're all over the place and whenever you're running on these empty streets, it is a really surreal experience.
Becs Gentry: It is.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Dorian, how does someone get to be Alana Levy and get this experience of running in this competitive elite field?
Dorian Kail: Well, Alana's nice, but she's also really fast. Alana I think last year came in fourth and ran a 115. So women have to run at least a 118, non- binary athletes have to run 118 and men have to run a 108 to qualify for this group. So they're fast.
Becs Gentry: That is so speedy. Alana, what did it feel like the first time you qualified for it?
Alana Levy: It felt amazing. Again, what's cool about this is that I didn't just kind of start running and then here I was. I very much worked my way into this. So the first time I ran this in 2012, I ran a 132 and then each year I kind of set these new goals for myself and kept chopping off time and getting faster and faster. So then it was, what's the goal? Let's get to corral A, let's get to corral double A, and then finally we got to this and you have your own private little start and it's really fun and you get to know all of the people around with all of the local clubs. So you get to run together and it really feels like a community out there, which is amazing.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's pretty incredible, the journey that you took, Alana, from 132, a great time down to where you are now in this group. You also, by the way, were in the pro field at the 2024 TCS New York City Marathon lining up with the Helen Obiris and the Sharon Lokedis of the world as well. So I mean, how do you reflect on where you are now as a runner? We read your resume at the start of the show and it's a great running resume in college and you've obviously got talent, but what has it taken to go from a talented college runner to someone who really is now showing up at some big time starting lines?
Alana Levy: Yeah, it's amazing to be on the start line with some of those women. It's really, really special to be at least just part of that group, knowing that they're obviously so incredible and very inspiring for everyone. After college, I kind of took a break from running, not fully, just competitively, and I kind of was just running on my own a little bit. I was running in these races, but I didn't have as high expectations for myself. But then when I joined Brooklyn Track Club, I started racing a lot more and then I ended up getting a private coach during the pandemic and just kept running more and more. So now I've been seeing all of that effort kind of turn into much better race results, which has been really, really cool to see how when you put in that time and when you put in that effort every day, it really ends up turning into these better performances. So running 70, 80 miles a week, just every single week, just staying really, really consistent is what's been doing it for me. And I don't think this is what I ever saw for myself. I don't know if 10 years ago I would've said I would be here, but I'm so excited that I am here. It's really amazing.
Becs Gentry: Wow. And that's it. Persistence pays off. It really does.
Dorian Kail: It's almost more impressive with this group because they all have full- time jobs.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Dorian Kail: Right. They're working really hard. They have to train. I mean, what's your schedule like?
Alana Levy: Wow. It's busy. No, I typically run in the mornings and then I work all day and I often double. So I usually double two or three times a week either with a run or some sort of a swim and I'll do a little bit of a lift or some core exercises and then yeah, cook dinner and go to bed.
Becs Gentry: And do it again. Rinse and repeat. That's it. Well, talking of rinse and repeat and doing it with full- time jobs and getting it done, that is for the local, the everyday runner as well. Dorian, let's talk about that field this year. How big is the local competitive field each year?
Dorian Kail: So this year it always hovers around 40. We're at 36.
Becs Gentry: Okay.
Dorian Kail: And some people get their niggles and they pull out, but it's pretty much even split. And we're really excited. Actually, the non- binary athlete in this seeded athlete field has the record here in the non- binary division.
Becs Gentry: Amazing.
Dorian Kail: So we're really happy about that. 1:12:55 Galo Vasquez. We're really excited to see what they can do-
Becs Gentry: Woo. Wow.
Dorian Kail: On Saturday, but we have a great field. And on the women's side, I know Alana didn't want to hear this because...
Alana Levy: Tough for me.
Dorian Kail: Yeah. We have the defending champion from last year, Kim Conley, who was a two- time Olympian in the 5, 000. She ran really well last year and she's back to defend her title. So we're really psyched about that.
Becs Gentry: Oh my gosh. Competition from the get-go.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Alana, what are you thinking going into the race on Saturday? You finished just off the podium last year, fourth place. Do you have a strategy or do you want to do things differently than you've done in this race in the past? Go to the lead, stay close to the lead, what's your plan?
Alana Levy: My plan for races like this, for long races is really just to run your own race. I'm not thinking too much about who else is out there. If there's a pack, that's always amazing to try to stay with. But for the most part, I just kind of want to hit consistent splits, see where I'm at, see where I'm feeling at about halfway and then hopefully pick it up a little bit for the second half. I think this is a great course to negative split and then you can start picking people off. It's a long race.
Becs Gentry: Oh yeah, definitely. If you start counting the alphabet. Oh, I hate that on the streets.
Dorian Kail: Oh wait, wait, that's right, that's right. Do you do that?
Becs Gentry: Do you do it?
Alana Levy: I do not.
Becs Gentry: Now she's going to cut. She's going to be like Becs, ugh.
Alana Levy: So the one good thing about running on Ocean Parkway where I never run is I actually have no idea where I am.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Alana Levy: So I'm not thinking about the...
Becs Gentry: No, that's very true and in a good way, stick to that. Okay. Dorian, what is your best advice for people to get noticed by your team if they're out there thinking I want to be in that group?
Dorian Kail: Well, if you want those special bathrooms and those bananas-
Becs Gentry: We all do.
Dorian Kail: You have to work at it. You have to work on your speed and you have to work on your, like what Alana was saying, you have to put the work in. It is fast. I mean, those people are running really fast and they're running a lot of the races. Right, Alana? I mean your team, Brooklyn Track Club, you run a lot of our races. I think it's putting in the training, it's putting in the good nutrition, it's doing what we all aspire to do. If it's joining our group training runs and working on your speed because you need that qualifying time.
Becs Gentry: Yeah. Yeah, very true.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Dorian, can you talk about the role that the clubs play? I mean, Alana's talking about her club, Brooklyn Track Club, but the clubs play a huge role in developing this local scene and I mean, there isn't another city in the country that I know of, maybe not the world that has a local running scene like New York and the clubs are a huge part of that. And I think most of the folks who are towing the line with Alana and the other sub- elite athletes are members of one of these clubs.
Dorian Kail: Yeah. Many of our front, the top runners are from these run clubs and I don't know all of the training that they put in together, but I suspect they meet up, they train together, they cheer each other on. We have seven competing in the seeded athlete program from the Brooklyn Track Club. We have several from the Central Park Track Club. I think they work together, they cheer each other on, they support each other and I think that's a big part of it. And in New York we have so many run clubs and I think that's the support. Right. And Alana, you probably can speak to it better than I can, but I believe that that's what it is, right?
Alana Levy: Yeah, absolutely. And one thing I'll say is one of the things that got me here were all of the women that I was able to look up to who were already doing this. So you see somebody and you're running with them maybe every so often, or you're just kind of looking at their training and you can say, that's not too far from where I am right now. I think I can do that too. Or I think I can run that long, or I think I can try to run that fast. And maybe you take the next step towards that and then you just kind of continue to make your way and you find the people that maybe are just a little bit better than you and push you to go a little bit further or faster than where you are on that day and then suddenly your strides ahead of where you were a year or two years or three years prior to that. So I'm really lucky that I've had women on Brooklyn Track Club, women across all of the clubs, that I've been able to say, oh wow, you ran that time? Okay. Can I run that time?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah.
Alana Levy: So-
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's a challenge and it's something to strive for and you can see, right, what work they're putting in, how they're training and try to emulate some of that. Right?
Alana Levy: Absolutely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's very cool.
Becs Gentry: We love that and that's beautiful advice for people to look up to their peers and just to take inspiration from the immediacy around them, soak it in and roll with it. That's so nice. All right, let's talk about not just your schedule, but so I'm going to get this right, I'm going to read this so I get this right. You have both an MBA and an MPH.
Rob Simmelkjaer: MPH is a master's in public health, right?
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Alana Levy: Master's in public health.
Becs Gentry: Master's in public health. And you work at a tech startup. We already discussed that your schedule sounds pretty grueling. What do you think, what can you say that running gives you in your professional field? How does it support you or so on?
Alana Levy: I think the thing that running has done for me is one, allowed me to set goals that I'm actually kind of scared of and I'm not really sure if I can achieve, but really try to continue to chip away at them. So I'm able to see that in my professional life as well where it's like, okay, this is something that seems impossible, but I've been able to make that become less impossible over time. So it really just is more of the framework of how to think, where it's like, I think I can get there and I know it's going to take time and I know it's going to take work, but I've put in hard work before. So it's kind of that mentality.
Becs Gentry: Wow.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I have noticed Becs, everybody that I think the runners over index for success in various parts of life, right?
Becs Gentry: Agree.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And it's really what you're talking about, Alana, that the discipline, the framework, the knowledge that what you get out of something is a function of what you put in. And seeing those results in running makes you realize, yeah, you know what? The same thing is going to happen in life. If I put in those extra hours studying or those extra hours working or whatever it may be, you do see the return.
Becs Gentry: Yeah. I agree. And you have plenty of time to think it over while you're doing the miles.
Alana Levy: I mean, honestly, running is a great time to just be able to think through whatever problem is eating at you, whether it's with work or personal life. It's an amazing way to kind of just think over whatever is happening in your life.
Dorian Kail: I feel like you can be your most creative when you're running, right?
Alana Levy: 100%.
Becs Gentry: Oh my gosh. Yeah.
Dorian Kail: You think about things that you would never think about when running.
Becs Gentry: I feel like a genius when I'm running and then as soon as I come home, I swear I take off my running kit and I'm like, where did that thought go? Oh my gosh.
Alana Levy: I think what we need to do is tell my boss that running counts as work because I am working in my head while I run.
Becs Gentry: I like that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Is it challenging? I mean, there must be times when jobs just takes you away. You can't get in the training you want. I mean, we have this conversation also with a lot of moms or dads who just have crazy schedules. How tough is it to balance these things?
Alana Levy: No. So one thing that I've done, I used to be somebody who ran in the evening and I had to change that just because sometimes work can be unpredictable. Sometimes days go long, sometimes you're just so tired by the end of the day. So I've really forced myself to get up and run every single morning because one, I'm then way more awake, way more present at work, and I'm no longer worrying about, oh, will I get this run in? Will I be able to make this happen? It's just a given. I'm going to run. And then for some reason, if you're traveling for work or if you have some big project, you have to kind of just take that into consideration and maybe you're running really early that morning or maybe you've shifted the workout to another day during the week, but if you kind of are able to zoom out and just take it day by day and know when the hard days are going to come and be mentally prepared for it, I think that's the best way.
Becs Gentry: I like that. That's a really important message I think to everybody, professional or not with running, be able to zoom out and just put yourself first, don't over index, but know it will get done. But you might have to rejig it and just find it a little bit of a nicer route for you. Love that. Love that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Dorian, there are probably thousands of runners in this race who would love to have your job because what's more fun than recruiting professional runners, great sub- elite athletes like this to run races. What is the most fun thing about your job in the pro- athletes division of New York Road Runners?
Dorian Kail: Wow, that's a loaded question and kind of unfair because you're the boss. I love my job. I love working with all my colleagues who are out here. I love running and when you love running and you can for a living be around runners and races and anything having to do with running is really cool. And I love the athletes. I think my biggest problem with my job is that I love everybody and I want everybody to win. And I become kind of so attached to everybody, but there's only one winner, right? There are only three people on the podium. But I care a lot about the athletes. I care a lot about running and that's why I love what I do.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's why you're good at what you do because they can see the love and they love you right back, and that's how we're able to get such an incredible field. You or your colleague, Sam Grotewold and Christine Burke and that whole team, you guys do such a great job. Okay. Can we come up with another name for sub- elite? I feel like it just seems a little like, okay, you're just a little below elite.
Becs Gentry: Can we call them local elites?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Well, how about-
Dorian Kail: Well, no, no. Wait, wait. So sub- elite is really a term we use at the marathon. We have a sub- elite field, which is after the pros, it's the next one, 50 and 50 of the fastest athletes. Then we do have a local competitive group. For this group at the RBC Brooklyn Half, it's called the Seeded Athlete Program. So let's not, we're not really talking about sub- elites except for the marathon, Rob.
Rob Simmelkjaer: A lot of names. I can't keep track of so many names.
Dorian Kail: I know. There are too many names.
Becs Gentry: Too many names.
Alana Levy: I don't think any word that you're putting next to elite is going to make it better. Right. I think once you're local, anything, it's kind of you're downgrading it and it's okay. We know that we're not the professionals and that's fine.
Becs Gentry: Hey, it's less pressure.
Alana Levy: Yeah.
Dorian Kail: That is the beauty of this sport, right? You are running with the best and anybody can do it, right? Anybody can run the RBC Brooklyn Half Marathon. You don't have to be an elite athlete or anybody in the Seeded Athlete Program. You can just run.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Speaking of running, I have a funny Alana Levy story-
Alana Levy: I'm scared.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That I like to tell when I think of Alana Levy. At the marathon this past year when the runners go off, I jump in a police vehicle to get to the finish line and Alana has taken off with this pro field and I'm in the police vehicle. We're going through Brooklyn and the elite field has, the pros have spread out a bit by about mile eight. Some of the leaders have gone off ahead. There are some that are lagging back, not having a good day, and I'm following and passing some elite runners. And then I think it was about mile eight or so where it gets really quiet, there are not a lot of people cheering, it's kind of quiet and lonely. And we pull aside, Alana, Alana Levy's there and she's running well, but she's falling behind the lead pack, but she's way ahead of the people who she's passed. And you're literally all by yourself, like running in the TCS New York City Marathon with no one within 100 yards of you. And I pulled up next to you and I said, " Hello." I said, " Hey, how are you doing? You're looking great. Keep running. You're doing a great job." Do you remember that?
Alana Levy: I do. I do. I had a personal cheer squad for that one moment and then solo.
Dorian Kail: You actually said something while she was running the race?
Rob Simmelkjaer: I did. The police officer let me use the loudspeaker on the car, and so-
Becs Gentry: I love that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I was like hyping up the crowd and everything.
Becs Gentry: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And when I get to Alana, I'm just like, " Alana, keep going. You're doing great." And she turns and looks and smile all by herself. It was a little moment-
Dorian Kail: Only in New York.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We had there in the middle of the marathon.
Alana Levy: That's amazing. And I will actually say, I remember Becs, you were there too.
Becs Gentry: I was on the women's elite lead vehicle.
Alana Levy: So I remember seeing you on the first bridge.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Alana Levy: Yeah. And I gave you a little wave. You gave me a little wave back. Any person who wants to cheer me on, I will be so excited for it.
Becs Gentry: Yep. We were ready for it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right. Before we go, can we sing happy birthday to the birthday girl?
Dorian Kail: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We got Alana Levy here who came on our podcast on her birthday.
Becs Gentry: Everyone queuing up.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So everybody can hear me on the count of three, we'll sing happy birthday to Alana.
Becs Gentry: All of you lot.
Rob Simmelkjaer: One, two, three. Happy birthday to you.
Becs Gentry: Come on everyone.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Happy birthday to you.
Dorian Kail: Happy birthday to you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Happy birthday dear Alana.
Dorian Kail: Dear Alana. Happy birthday to you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Happy birthday to you. Yay.
Alana Levy: Thank you. Thank you. That's very kind.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Alana, happy birthday.
Becs Gentry: Yay. Happy birthday.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Thank you for coming on Set the Pace. Great to have you. Dorian-
Alana Levy: Thank you for having me.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Great to see you.
Dorian Kail: Thank you. This was fun.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Thanks for coming on.
Becs Gentry: Thank you both.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It was a command performance.
Becs Gentry: It was great.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And you were great. Thank you so much. Great to have you. Good luck on Saturday.
Becs Gentry: Best of luck.
Alana Levy: Thank you. We'll see. We'll see you about the podium. We'll see about Kim Conley.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right.
Becs Gentry: You got this. You got this.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We will see. Throwing the gauntlet down. I like it.
Becs Gentry: Yeah.
Alana Levy: You heard it here first.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Right from the stage-
Dorian Kail: I won't tell Kim.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Of the pre- party. Becs, great to have you back.
Becs Gentry: Thank you. Great to be back.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Thanks for coming in. Good luck to everybody out there running.
Becs Gentry: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Let's hear some noise. Who's running out there? Who's ready to go for Saturday? Good luck. Hope you have a great day. Hope we get some good weather for you out there on Saturday. Thanks for coming out and watching this very special episode of Set the Pace. We'll see you Saturday at the after party at Maimonides Park. Have a great race. Enjoy the miles.
Becs Gentry: Woo.
Rob Simmelkjaer: New York Road Runners is a nonprofit organization with a vision to build healthier lives and stronger communities through the transformative power of running. The support of members and donors like you helps us achieve our mission to transform the health and well- being of our communities through inclusive and accessible running experiences, empowering all to achieve their potential. Learn more and contribute at nyrr. org/ donate.