Rob Simmelkjaer: New York Road Runners is a non- profit organization with a vision to build healthier lives and stronger communities through the transformative power of running. The support of members and donors like you helps us achieve our mission to transform the health and well- being of our communities through inclusive and accessible running experiences, empowering all to achieve their potential. Learn more and contribute at nyrr. org/ donate.
Speaker 1: Thank you, New York. Today we're reminded of the power of community and the power of coming together. Athletes, on your mark.
Josh Kerr: The first woman to finish for the second straight year here in the New York City Marathon is Miki Gorman, a smiling Miki Gorman. And why not? 2: 29:30, the time for Grete Waitz.
Speaker 2: Look at the emotion of Shalane Flanagan as she comes to the line. Pointing to his chest, pointing to the USA he so proudly wears across his chest. A great day for Meb Keflezighi.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hey everybody, and welcome to a special edition of Set the Pace presented by Peloton. I'm your host and the CEO of New York Roadrunners, Rob Simmelkjaer. And what an incredible day we had today at the New Balance Fifth Avenue Mile. Not only was there a new course record on the men's side by our defending champion, Josh Kerr, but on the women's side it was Karissa Schweizer pulling ahead for a win and a spot- on tie with the women's course record set by Laura Muir back in 2022. But today, of course was today for runners of all ages, abilities, and goals. We had more than 8, 000 runners from age two to 91 sprint their way down the iconic Fifth Avenue on what was a perfect fall day. If you weren't at the race and you weren't able to watch the broadcast live on WABC, you can actually go and check it out now on ESPN Plus. It's available there on demand. One of the people who called that race today was Carrie Tollefson. She was also there to interview our winners, Josh Kerr and Karissa Schweizer.
Carrie Tollefson: All right, we're standing here in Central Park right outside of drug testing where you two can hopefully fill up your bottles here pretty fast. But actually right by the finish line, we heard you were discussing your races. So Josh, let's hear what that conversation was like first from you and then we'll come to you, Karissa.
Josh Kerr: Well, I love watching the women's race. It gives me inspiration. The only reason I ran like that is because of how Laura Muir ran a couple years ago. But we don't get to watch the women's race, so I was just asking Karissa how it went and how the race went. So I'm excited to watch it back. But yeah, they set a good stage for us.
Carrie Tollefson: Yeah, you really kind of were patient until 800 meters and then you were just like, " Okay, see ya, everybody."
Josh Kerr: Yeah, I felt good going up the hill and I think you can disguise a move at halfway where people think you're going for the halfway bonus and then just keep pressing. So thought it was a good idea and then with 600 to go, I was like, " This is actually a terrible idea." And then before on the go, I was like, "Okay, we got this." So it was fine.
Carrie Tollefson: How do you regroup when you are like, " Oh no, I still have quite a bit of racing to go and I'm tired."?
Josh Kerr: You just got to rely on the legs a little bit and it ends up only being about a minute left. So you just kind of close your eyes and hope, really.
Carrie Tollefson: Well, it was the huge crowds following you, Josh. There were a bunch of women taking pictures and your fiance was so graceful, but I mean, it must be really fun right now. Everybody is excited for you. They all want to give you a high five. What does it feel like being here in New York and having everybody know you?
Josh Kerr: It's nice. I think trying to be a bit more of an open book and show my process as much as possible because I don't think this is something that only really, really talented people can do. It's like hard work and consistent days can get you great results and I hope that's what everyone feels like. There was some great masses running today and I hope that us in the men's race, and I'm sure the women's races as well, are all inspiring those athletes to go out and be their best. So that's all that we can do and it's really fun to be able to connect with the fans and the athletes that we're racing earlier.
Carrie Tollefson: You have a big entourage, you have a big team. So this team, you always say, " We, we, we." That's important to you, your team.
Josh Kerr: Yeah, I think the team's grown every year, but it's people that I've been friends with for 10, 15 years are coming on and helping out as much as they can and it's really nice to look left and right have family members and best friends as part helping you out and being able to bring back gold medals and medals and everything and records and stuff back to them just validates their job and I'm trying to let them be proud of what they do.
Carrie Tollefson: Records, you just said record. You set a big one today. 1981, Sydney Maree held it since then and today you blew it out of the water.
Josh Kerr: Yeah, I mean, Sydney Maree had multiple records and world records and everything, so I was just looking to etch my name in the history books and I'm at a part of my career where I'm just trying to leave as much of a legacy as I can. Being able to follow in the footsteps at Sydney is massive. I was able to do it in college and I'm just looking to continue to do that as a professional.
Carrie Tollefson: Yeah, and now done. You're all done until next, well, what, February maybe?
Josh Kerr: Yeah. I don't know yet, I don't know. I mean, I'm never going to turn down a Melrose call, so we'll see what happens. But yeah, I'm sure I'll do something in the fall.
Carrie Tollefson: Awesome job. Congratulations on everything.
Josh Kerr: Thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Carrie Tollefson: All right, Karissa, your turn. Oh, my goodness. Now, today was a big day for you, but you said you don't even know if this is the end of your season.
Karissa Schweizer: Yeah, I'm not sure. Yeah, I feel like I'm just kind of building some momentum. I had a bit of a hiccup in the spring, so it just feels like I'm just getting started, so I want to just keep going, but I know that's going to bode well for next year.
Carrie Tollefson: Well, walk us through your race a little bit. I mean, you were right there up in front or in the early stages, but then kind of sat back in a little bit. Talk us through the race.
Karissa Schweizer: Yeah, just being a 5K, 10K runner, I was so nervous for the start. I was just like, " Oh, just get out fast. Go with them and don't panic if it feels too fast." But I feel like it was quick first 400 and they said... People told me that it just kind of slows with the second 400 with uphill. So I just kind of was pressing there just to make it more of a strength race and then just kind of tried to coast it in. I was like, " Okay, we just got downhill from here."
Carrie Tollefson: But you really turned it on and you won by quite a bit by that last 400. You had something left in you.
Karissa Schweizer: Yeah, I kind of just started to kick and then when Dorcas came on me, I just was like, " Okay, I'm just going to relax and gear up for a second kick." And I definitely wasn't expecting to have that much left with it.
Carrie Tollefson: Yeah, yeah. So coming here, this is your first New York Road Runner event. I mean, a lot of people that come to New York Road Runner events come back for many, many more races. So can we hear a little bit about that?
Karissa Schweizer: Yeah, the energy was awesome. I've watched so many of these races and I've always wanted to race one. It just hasn't worked out well for me and I had so much fun out there, so I'll definitely be back.
Carrie Tollefson: So maybe a 5K in the fall, maybe 26.2 in the future?
Karissa Schweizer: I hope so. I hope one day.
Carrie Tollefson: So when you cracked the tape, though, I mean, you ran 4: 14. 8, I believe, unofficially right now. That is right where the record was. Was that on your mind?
Karissa Schweizer: Not at all. I feel like even just last night I was kind of like, " Oh, you could win this thing." So I just was like, " Okay, let's just focus on just executing a good race and just believe in yourself and give yourself a shot."
Carrie Tollefson: So what do you do here in this big city? I mean, you have to go celebrate this, so what are you going to do?
Karissa Schweizer: Yeah, I don't know yet. My boyfriend's here and we're just going to roam around and we'll probably... Actually, I think we're going to go to the Liberty game tonight.
Carrie Tollefson: Oh, that's fun. Well, congratulations on everything. You have been on this comeback trail. All of us here in America and around the world that are fans of yours have been watching you go and run the 5,000, the 10, 000 at the Olympic Games again and now winning here at Fifth Avenue. Awesome job. Congratulations on everything.
Karissa Schweizer: Yes, thank you for having me.