Rob Simmelkjaer: Hey everybody, and welcome to Set the Pace, the official podcast of New York Road Runners presented by Peloton. I'm your host, Rob Rob Simmelkjaer, the CEO of New York Road Runners, and we are here live at the after- party for the RBC Brooklyn Half. And you can see behind me a lot of very happy people with those beautiful medals hanging around there next after an absolutely spectacular day for a half- marathon here in Brooklyn. And we are excited to bring it all to you right here from our beautiful perch in Maimonides Ballpark, looking out over the after- party. My usual host from Peloton, Becs Gentry, she can't join us today. She's a little busy working. We're sad to miss her, but we've got an amazing special co- host, who I think you'll know, especially if you're a Peloton person, coming up in just a minute. But let's talk about today for a little bit. We had over 30, 000 finished starters, I should say, at the starting line in Prospect Park. We don't know as of yet how many finishers, but we think there's a pretty good shot it'll be over that 30, 000 mark. And it was a day that a lot of people were a little worried about coming into the day. We knew the weather was going to be a bit warm. There is, as you can see, nary a cloud in the sky. It is sunny, it is beautiful, but so far so good. The temperatures are in the 60s, maybe edging up towards 70, and the humidity was not that high. So, people I've talked to seem to have a pretty good day out there. We've got a nice ocean breeze here in Coney Island. And it's been a great, great day. So, we'll hear that final finisher number in a little while. We still have lots of people out there on that course making their way down Ocean Parkway to our beautiful finish line on the boardwalk here in Coney Island. So, it's been awesome. All right. Let's get to our co- host today and bring her in, Camila Ramón. You might know her from Peloton. She not only is a Peloton instructor, but she is a regular half- marathon runner who was one of our finishers here today. Congratulations on the finish.
Camila Ramón: Thank you so much. Regular is beautiful. I love to hear that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, you are... It's impressive. So, you ran the Maybelline Women's Half Marathon only, what, a few weeks ago in Central Park?
Camila Ramón: Yeah, three weeks ago.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And you came right back out to take this one on. How was it?
Camila Ramón: I figured I was in shape from the other one so I might as well do this, and I've heard amazing things. And the people, they did not lie. I had the time of my life today. The sun is beautiful. And winter, it's been holding on, all right? It's the weather. But today, we finally are getting a little bit of warmth. And as somebody who grew up in Miami, I'm welcoming that with my arms wide open.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, it's funny. We talk a lot about the warm temperatures. Sometimes that makes us nervous because it can make it hard for some runners, but for someone like you, you're from Buenos Aires originally, you lived in Miami a lot of your life. So, this is probably like a perfect day for you.
Camila Ramón: Yeah, it was nice. I have lost a lot of my Miami running clout. I cannot run in 100% humidity anymore like I used to and feel fine. However, 65 degrees, how it was when I was running, was pretty perfect.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. Tell us about the race for you, your first time running it. What surprised you about this half- marathon versus others that you've run?
Camila Ramón: I love the course. As somebody who grew up running cross country in South Florida, I don't like a hill. I'm not going to lie. So, relatively flat course. There were some moments with some uphills that you definitely felt, but it was beautiful. We ended here, which is insane. The view is fantastic. I'm like, I'm never going home. I want to stay here all day.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Remind you of Miami just a little bit, maybe, with that ocean view?
Camila Ramón: A little bit, yeah. The ocean always takes me back.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I know it's not quite the Miami color of sea, but still, pretty good.
Camila Ramón: Yeah. I was going to call you out on that, but it's okay. Yeah, it was great. And I have this thing where I'm like, " I'm just going to go out, and have fun, and not really push." And then I start and I go a little crazy. So today, I really pushed myself. The last two miles were a little bit tough for me, I'm not going to lie. But we made it, and here we are.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Did you have a time that was a goal today that you're trying to hit, or just go out to have fun?
Camila Ramón: Pace- wise, loosely, I have been trying to hit something with a seven in front of it. And I did that today, so...
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it. Congratulations.
Camila Ramón: Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It was a day that I think the air was cool. There was an ocean breeze coming down Ocean Parkway, so hopefully that helped a little bit.
Camila Ramón: It helped a lot. There were also... People had hoses, I think, with water. I poured, I don't know how many cups, on my head, of water, which was really nice. People were honestly... It was good vibes throughout. I fist- bumped I don't know how many people, throughout the race, which I always like. It's like a power- up, right?
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah.
Camila Ramón: You fist- bump somebody, you're like, " You're doing great." And they're like, " Oh." They get surprised when you interact with them.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. That's the thing about the days that are a little warm. It can be a little harder when you're running, but the crowds come out on the warm days, and then you get that boost from all those spectators.
Camila Ramón: Yeah, 100%.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it. All right. So for folks who don't know you from Peloton or anything else, let's get to know Camila a little bit. As I mentioned, you were born in Buenos Aires. And tell us about the day, I think it was seven years old, right? You were seven when you were first told that you were leaving Argentina to move to the United States.
Camila Ramón: Oh. Not a good day, honestly. It was pretty terrible. I was heartbroken. My family was like, " It's going to be great." And I was like, " I'm going to miss my abuela, for real." But one thing that I will say is my parents did an amazing job of sending me back to Argentina. So, I would go every year for two months. The entire summer, I would just spend it there. And until I was about 15, I had my quince in Argentina. And so-
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's like a Sweet 16 for those who don't know, yep.
Camila Ramón: Exactly, yeah. Except I wore a green lily pad- colored dress, which was horrendous, but I really loved it at that time. I wanted to move back until I was around 17, and then I was like, " Uhmm." I'm really used to it here, so I stayed.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Miami's not a bad place.
Camila Ramón: Miami's not a bad place.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And so, did you take up running at that age when you were in Miami?
Camila Ramón: I actually started running when I was in middle school.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Amazing.
Camila Ramón: Yeah, I started running cross country when I was in middle school. And I started running because... This is very toxic, but I talk about this a lot in my Peloton class, about body image. I started running because I heard it makes you skinny when I was in middle school, which is absolutely insane. And then once I started running, and especially as I went into high school, I had a lot of anxiety, and I realized that it really helped center me. It was something beautiful that I discovered. I found my power through running, I found my center through running, and I never let go of it ever since.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And that happens, unfortunately, sometimes with girls as young as middle school, as they start to have those kinds of thoughts.
Camila Ramón: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And I know there's a story you talk about, where you ran up the Key Biscayne bridge in Miami, for those who don't know the bridge over the Key Biscayne. And you had kind of a moment on that run. Can you talk about that, and what really happened to you that day?
Camila Ramón: Yeah. If you haven't been to the Key Biscayne bridge, you need to go. It's beautiful. Have you been?
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's gorgeous. Yes, I love Miami.
Camila Ramón: Oh, perfect.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So I go all the time, and I've been on that bridge many times.
Camila Ramón: Yeah, it's a great place to run too. I had been working in corporate for about three years without moving my body because I had been just working day and night, working at events at night. And when I decided to come back to movement and back to training, I chose to motivate myself because I wanted to change myself physically, and that led to a lot of negative self- talk and a lot of pressure on myself, and that added anxiety that I was talking to you earlier. And then one day, I was running to Key Biscayne bridge and I think I had run like six miles or something at a very decent pace. And I was so frustrated with myself because I hadn't seen changes in my body yet, that I was talking smack to myself actively as I was running up this huge bridge. And I finally got up to the top of the bridge and I was so frustrated with myself. I literally broke down. And then I looked up, and I'm crying in this bridge. Everyone's having a great day. It's like a freaking... It's so sunny. There might as well have been dolphins jumping out of the ocean. Which I have seen there, by the way, in Key Biscayne.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, me too.
Camila Ramón: And I was like, "I don't want to live life this way. I don't want to do this to myself. Why are you speaking to yourself in this way?" So ever since then, I made a commitment to myself to move, to celebrate myself and to celebrate my body, and just to have fun. So then I started incorporating more... Not more structure. At first, more fun. I honestly would just go for 30 minute walks. I was like, " I don't want to run anymore for right now. I will go with my friends on my chisme walks." Where we talk smack, we catch up on the tea.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What was that called again?
Camila Ramón: Chisme.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Chisme?
Camila Ramón: The cheese.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What does that mean?
Camila Ramón: The tea.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Is that a Spanish?
Camila Ramón: The tea, yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: The tea. Got it. Oh, so you're-
Camila Ramón: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I get it. You guys are dissing.
Camila Ramón: Spill- the- tea walks.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You're spilling the tea. I got you. Okay.
Camila Ramón: Yeah, but with a little bit more lactose. And I just started walking with my friend for 30 minutes after work and we had so much fun. Then, I started going to dance classes. And then once I realized I was having fun, then I started running. I would just go out run two miles just for fun. And then after I started running two miles, I was like, " I'm starting to enjoy this again. Let me start strength training. Let me get some performance goals in there." But it came from a different place. And then I made it my mission to communicate that to the world, and make women feel strong in their bodies rather than small.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's awesome.
Camila Ramón: So, that's what I do every day now.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love that. There's a lot of things I love about that story. But one thing you said there is you'd run like two miles, and it's amazing what a run like that can do for someone.
Camila Ramón: 100%.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I meet people all of the time, and I tell them what I do, and they're like, " Oh, I'm not a runner. I just run two miles a couple of days a week." I'm like, " You're a runner. That's incredible."
Camila Ramón: Yeah, you're a runner. Hate to break it to you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes, absolutely.
Camila Ramón: Hate to break it to you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What did you find those two mile runs did for you?
Camila Ramón: It was beautiful. I feel like it allowed me to create consistency in my schedule. It allowed me to clear my mind, be present in my body, especially nowadays that we're on our phone so much. You can't be looking at a screen if you're running outside.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So true.
Camila Ramón: Especially in Miami where it's 100% humidity, your phone's going to slip out of your hand and fall. Someone's going to run over it because people don't know how to drive. But it was just a great place for me to just come back to me.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, it's a great story. So, it's amazing that this moment you had about being healthy, moving your body, led you to where you are in your career, working at Peloton. I heard that you got your job by applying directly to the CEO of Peloton. You emailed the CEO directly?
Camila Ramón: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Tell me about that.
Camila Ramón: My husband and I lived in LA for four and a half years. And then finally, we were like, " We're going to move back to Miami." When I moved back to Miami, I said, " I want to reach out to Peloton." Two weeks after we moved back to Miami, I was sitting there at my house and I was like, " I have to reach out to them because the worst thing that could happen is they could say no." And then I just move on with my life and I continue living my life as it is. And I was like, " But I'm going to send an email to the CEO because I know what I can provide and what they're missing." Which is a Latina that's teaching classes in Spanish and playing some really amazing reggaeton and perreo. So at 5: 00 AM in the morning on a Friday, I drafted up this email and I pressed send. And I said, " Forget it." I sent it, I forgot it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Thinking that you'd probably never hear back. That that was the end of that.
Camila Ramón: Thinking I would never hear about. I said, " I'm proud of you." I said, " I'm proud of you." At 9: 00 AM the same day, I had an email from the casting director, " We want to meet you."
Rob Simmelkjaer: Wow. That must have been a heck of an email. What did you write?
Camila Ramón: Oh, it was good. I'm not going to lie. It was great. It was a great email. When I got the email from the casting director, I remember running into my living room and my husband was sitting on the couch. I started doing toe touches. I was like, " They wrote back to me. Peloton wrote back to me." He's like, " What?"
Rob Simmelkjaer: In like a few hours, yeah.
Camila Ramón: Literally. And then I was interviewing. The interview process is very long at Peloton for good reason. And in July... This was February 25th that I sent the email. And then July 1st, I was already started onboarding.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Amazing.
Camila Ramón: And in October was my first class.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's incredible. And when you had that first class in October, tell me about that. Did you move from Miami to New York for the job?
Camila Ramón: Oh, yeah. My husband had never been to New York either. I said, " Baby, we got to go." He said, " Let's do it." Poor man. The first day that he came to New York, I told him to go down to the financial district, and then come up to the West Village and have a beer. He went the other way through Alphabet City, ended up doing pull- ups at a park. He's like, "I don't know how I feel about New York." I'm like, "You went to the wrong place, babe."
Rob Simmelkjaer: He went to the... Yeah, he went to the East Village. Well, it's a part of New York.
Camila Ramón: Yeah. I mean, no shade to East Village, but yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's a part of New York. It's great. It's a great part of New York.
Camila Ramón: I just had ease him into it, because if you've never-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes, that's going in the deep end when you go straight to the East Village.
Camila Ramón: Right. If you've never been to New York City, then you don't understand.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's true.
Camila Ramón: Now, it doesn't matter. What's your question again?
Rob Simmelkjaer: That first class. So you walk into your first class at Peloton, and this all has come from an email that you sent. What was that first class like for you? It must have been quite a moment.
Camila Ramón: So the first class was October 5th, and it was the first Spanish class on the bike.
Rob Simmelkjaer: First- ever class in Spanish on the bike at Peloton.
Camila Ramón: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's amazing.
Camila Ramón: Yeah. I remember I opened up with Tego Calderón Pa' Que Retozen, and there was nobody in the room with me because we still had an open backup to members after COVID.
Rob Simmelkjaer: COVID, yeah.
Camila Ramón: And I wasn't sure how it was going to be received. I was very scared. I was terrified because I was the first one to be hired after the pandemic on the bike, and all these people that were next to me are superstars, people that I have looked up to for so long. And I was like, little me who wrote an email to the CEO is now coming up here and being like, " Shake your nalgas." You know what I mean? And-
Rob Simmelkjaer: I don't know what that means, but maybe I shouldn't ask. I don't know.
Camila Ramón: It mean, shake your booty cheeks.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Okay, I figured that.
Camila Ramón: But it was so beautiful to see how the community received me, and they put their hand on my back. And it's been such a beautiful journey ever since with the Mila Mafia is who we are. That's my community. Some of them are right there. And hey, girl. It was just so beautiful. And now, I feel like we're just doing more and more amazing things. Ever since then, I taught the first reggaeton ride, the first cumbia ride, the first dembow ride, the first merengue ride.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Wow.
Camila Ramón: So we're doing a lot of first, and really providing a really special place for the Latino community that really is not present in any other fitness platform in the world. And I'm really, really proud to be doing that alongside my friend Mariana Fernández (inaudible) Lopez.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes, Mariana, who also ran today by the way.
Camila Ramón: She ran today.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Shout out to Mariana.
Camila Ramón: She killed it. So proud of her. Thank you for answering all my text messages at 10: 00 PM, because I do not look up any information about the race until last minute.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's awesome. It must mean a lot to you, having really been the first person to start this kind of a community on a platform as big as Peloton. And now, I don't know how many Spanish- speaking people you have taking your classes, or even non- Spanish- speaking who just love the music.
Camila Ramón: Yeah, it's a lot. Mariana was actually the first one to debut as a Spanish- speaking instructor on yoga. And I remember seeing her debut while I was interviewing. And I got so emotional I literally cried in my house, because it was just so special to see. And I think that's something that we curated together, makes it even more special, because I think the throughline about Latinos is community, family, and support of each other, I think especially in these times. So, it's really beautiful to see what we have only just started to do and I'm excited to see where it goes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So you actually started recording your own music, right, for some of these classes?
Camila Ramón: Oh, yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Talk about that. How did that inspiration... Are you always been a musician?
Camila Ramón: Not just for class, but for vibes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: For vibes in general, yeah.
Camila Ramón: I have not necessarily always been a musician unless elementary school counts. I did play the viola and I was in chorus.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I'm sure you were great.
Camila Ramón: It was public school, so not that great. Music, for me, has always been a part of my life. I was a professional dancer. I danced for some artists in Miami. And when I moved to New York City, I started teaching tread classes, I started teaching cycle classes, I started teaching strength classes. And it was so much of movement, which was something that was so healing for me and a meditative place for me. Also, kind of became work- related. So I needed to find another outlet, especially in the winter, because I had never lived in a place that actually has a winter. And let me tell you, it's rough.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It's rough.
Camila Ramón: You have to find something.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah.
Camila Ramón: Yeah. So I-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Something indoors preferably, or outdoors. Skiing.
Camila Ramón: Yes, actually. I took my first vocal lesson and I felt in love. In love, in love, in love. And ever since then, I started taking vocal lessons as much as I could. And then one day I said, " What if I try to write my own song?" And then we created my first song and I sent it to my manager, and I said, " What do you think?" He's like, " Wait, you did this?" And I was like, " Yeah. Why? Is it bad or is it good?" Actually, no. Actually, I said, " Why? Is it bad or is it good? And then I'll tell you." He loved it, and then I decided to keep making more and more without even the goal of releasing it. But then something happened in my family, with one of my really close loved ones, and I realized life is too short. He was a person that lived with so much joy in his life and did everything. He was a professional clown in Argentina, my cousin, who passed away.
Rob Simmelkjaer: A professional?
Camila Ramón: Clown.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Clown. Cool, cool.
Camila Ramón: Yes, in Argentina. He lived his life unapologetically the way that he wanted to, and it inspired me to live my life with joy, through joy, for joy, and hope that as many people come with me in the process as possible. So I figured, why not? Life is short. We got one. Run the half- marathon, write your music, create your creative space for yourself. And here we are.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it. I get those vibes off you 100%.
Camila Ramón: Oh, thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes.
Camila Ramón: Thank you, thank you. So now, I have like five tracks, I think. I don't know if I... Five or six.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And you use them for the classes sometimes?
Camila Ramón: Sometimes. I don't like to program them too much because I feel like that's a little weird, but people like them and they ask for it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I heard you got an injury along the way during your Peloton career, which can happen. You're spending a lot of time working out on a bike or whatever. And you had an extra bone in your foot?
Camila Ramón: Yeah. It's called-
Rob Simmelkjaer: How did you discover that?
Camila Ramón: It's called accessory navicular bone. It's not cute, but I could either get surgery or deal with it with PT, and PT really works wonders. So, I stopped running for quite some time and I felt like there was something missing. I was running in class, yes. And the team was really great to give me shorter classes, walking content, hiking content, which is really great, but I missed running. And finally last year, I remember I got so emotional when I ran the United Half because I cried at the finish line, because I was like, " I can't believe I just did that again." It was such a beautiful comeback. And now this year, ran Maybelline Half-
Rob Simmelkjaer: You're back. That's right.
Camila Ramón: ... and ran the RBC Brooklyn Half.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right.
Camila Ramón: I feel like I'm back even though I have to really gauge my training to my body. So, I'm not running as much as I used to or with the volume that I used to, but I still feel like I'm performing at a capacity that makes me feel competitive with myself. And that's something that I'm proud of.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You said that your training block for this Half was stronger, not smaller.
Camila Ramón: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What does that mean?
Camila Ramón: Stronger, not smaller. I mean, I'm not trying to shrink myself. And I think-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Not like your middle- school self, right?
Camila Ramón: Exactly.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Not trying to do that.
Camila Ramón: Yeah. And I think especially nowadays, with all the changes that we see, we see it. We see it in social media, we see it with Hollywood, we see it everywhere. It's just really nice to bring ourselves back to the things that make us feel at peace with ourselves. And we have to remind ourselves that even though we are seeing these things externally, that shouldn't change your personal goals, because health and strength, at the end of the day, for longevity, is what we should all be focused on.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, love that. It's a great message.
Camila Ramón: Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: It sounds like you are also, though, discovering your own speed a little bit as a runner because-
Camila Ramón: A little bit, yeah. It's kind of a mess, but...
Rob Simmelkjaer: Sometimes that happens. You get into it and you start to realize how fast you can be. Can I ask how old you are?
Camila Ramón: 34.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So, you're at a great age to be entering distance running and really getting serious about it, because most women don't peak as distance runners until maybe their late 30s, 40s.
Camila Ramón: Oh, wait. What?
Rob Simmelkjaer: So, you're on the upside.
Camila Ramón: Really?
Rob Simmelkjaer: 100%. We see so many women who their PRs are at 40 years old or beyond.
Camila Ramón: Oh my God.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So, you've got a lot of runway ahead of you.
Camila Ramón: This is a great news.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. I'm happy to deliver some good news.
Camila Ramón: Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And it just sounds like you've got a lot of upside, because I... So it says here that when you ran the Maybelline Women's Half on April 26th, you started out mile one, 8: 58 pace.
Camila Ramón: I was terrified. I was scared.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You were scared. And then by the time you got to 12 and 13-
Camila Ramón: I was confident.
Rob Simmelkjaer: ... you were down to a 7: 19 pace. That's quite a spread.
Camila Ramón: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What happened in that race to make you realize you could go that fast?
Camila Ramón: A couple of things. Number one is I have a problem and I have no chill. So even in the races, that I'm like, " I'm going to have a fun run." I'm like, " Push, girl. You can go faster." No. But for real, that was kind of like a test run. That was the first race that I've ran this year at that distance, so I wanted to see how I was feeling. I had some training runs where I was pushing a little bit more. But I was honestly a little scared to crash out publicly, I'm not going to lie, especially because there's a lot of people that-
Rob Simmelkjaer: When people start watching you, it gets to be pressure.
Camila Ramón: Even though if I were to puke on the side one day, I feel like that's pretty badass. But...
Rob Simmelkjaer: You'd be a real runner at that point.
Camila Ramón: Right. Right, right, right.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You maybe earn some respect from that, actually.
Camila Ramón: I told you I don't like hills, so I hadn't ran-
Rob Simmelkjaer: But Maybelline Half's hard with that. There's some hills in Central Park.
Camila Ramón: Yeah. Central Park has hills, so that's why I was conservative. I ran one lap, and then the second lap I was like, " Okay, I got this." So then the second lap, I ran faster. Today, I tried to even out my splits more, so I think I did that today.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And did that work for you? Because... And the great thing about this race, of course, is the hills get out of the way early.
Camila Ramón: I love that part. It was beautiful.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And if you started the course, you know. Once you've gotten up those hills in Prospect Park and you've left the park, you know you can roll.
Camila Ramón: I looked it up last night, yes. It was a good idea.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And did it go according to plan?
Camila Ramón: I think so. I'm like... I don't know. I don't really have a lot of plans. I don't plan a lot in my life, but-
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's okay.
Camila Ramón: But I have... One of the things that I often say in class is, " If you have no expectations, you're never going to disappoint yourself." So, I always go into it with the idea of having fun, especially because you know my history about my competitiveness and how I can be really hard on myself. So if I go in with the have- fun mindset, see how I feel and then push a little bit later, it always works out for me.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Did you run with or without music today?
Camila Ramón: Oh, 1, 000% with music.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You seem like you'd be a with- music kind of runner.
Camila Ramón: Noise cancellation, honestly.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, wow. So full- on, block the rest of the world out.
Camila Ramón: My friend had to come right in front of my face to say hello to me. He had been screaming at me while I was coming up, and he was like, " Hey." I was like, "Hey." I will say, I have made the best running playlist that exists. I said it. I said it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Is it on Spotify? Can people find it?
Camila Ramón: It's on Spotify.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What's it called?
Camila Ramón: It's called Negative Splits.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, that's a good name for a running (inaudible) .
Camila Ramón: I use this feature and it gets progressively faster via BPMs. And once you get to the Pain Cave, it's really intense at the end. I will tell you, slightly emotional. There's a lot of really intense beats in there.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it. Negative splits on Spotify.
Camila Ramón: Negative Splits.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's a good call out there.
Camila Ramón: Yeah, you can look it up by my name too.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Is any of your-
Camila Ramón: And don't forget to stream my music while you're on there, okay?
Rob Simmelkjaer: 100%. I was going to ask, are any of your songs in that playlist?
Camila Ramón: I put one.
Rob Simmelkjaer: One. Okay, which one?
Camila Ramón: It's called Mary Jane.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Okay. And you listen to that today? Do you listen to a lot of your songs while you're running? Or is it too, like, " That would get in my head. If I had songs and I was listening to myself running, that would freak me out."
Camila Ramón: It depends. I think on the vibe, like how I'm feeling.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Okay. I don't really even like to listen to this podcast while I'm running because that gets to my head. I'm like, " Oh, I shouldn't have said that. I shouldn't have asked that question."
Camila Ramón: You're great. You're doing great.
Rob Simmelkjaer: How about this party we got going on behind us?
Camila Ramón: I want to go down there.
Rob Simmelkjaer: This is pretty good. I think we should get down there.
Camila Ramón: Next time, you got to book me to perform here.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, we got a great crowd down there. And in fact, if I'm not mistaken, we're going to send it down there because we're going to have some interviews coming from down there in a little bit. So as soon as we're ready to send it down, we can send it down right now. Who are we sending it to? Remind me.
Tracy: Tracy.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Tracy. We got Tracy down there on the field at the after- party. Tracy?
Tracy: We're having so much fun. We're having a great time. We are here on the field at Maimonides Park. It is the RBC Brooklyn Half after- party. Now, I'm here with Adama. You are a Brooklyn resident, and you've run your third RBC Brooklyn Half. So, let's talk a little bit about you reliving your experience and reliving your race, and tell me what was it like running it for the third time?
Adama: This time was hard. It was a little warm outside. But outside of a little bit of extra hydration, I would say it went pretty well. We had a little gala from my daughter's school last night, which didn't help, I'm sure. But coming into today, mile, I would say 10 is where I'll start to feel the heat sinking a little bit.
Tracy: Yeah. You're telling me how had your mouth is getting a little chalky, right?
Adama: Yeah.
Tracy: So, talk about the hydration for you at a race.
Adama: Usually, I take only a little bit of water, likely at mile 11. And it's not really necessary. It's more of a... I don't know. I think science would tell me that that's the right thing to do. But then today, I was like, " Okay, I need Gatorade. I need water." I had to stop from every mile: 10, 11, 12. And then I wanted to look good for my family when they saw me in mile 12. So, everything ended up working out though.
Tracy: That's real right there. You want to look good for the family. You want to look good for those photos, right?
Adama: Yeah.
Tracy: So tell me a little bit about being a Brooklyn resident and running in Kings County, running in your borough.
Adama: Yeah. It's great because also, if you run Prospect Park a lot, you notice they got a lot of hills in there. So, I thought that was very easy for me because I've seen the same hill, so I knew exactly when they were coming. You knew how to pace yourself. You knew how to like, " Okay. We got this hill, so you might not want to exert too much energy before it." So it's a great place to run, easy place to run. A lot of great parks, Fort Greene Park. I live closer to Fort Greene Park. So if you want a short run, you can do that. If you want a long run, Prospect Park's a great one as well. And people, it's a great running culture in Brooklyn.
Tracy: Wonderful. Adama, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, reliving your run, and your third RBC Brooklyn Half. And back to you, Rob.
Audio: Peloton is taking running and race tech to the next level with the new Peloton cross- training series, Tread Plus, powered by Peloton IQ. Built for runners who want top tier performance, the Tread Plus helps you train smarter and get race- ready with precision. Peloton IQ offers personalized insights that evolve as you progress, so you can fine- tune your pacing and peak at the right moment. And with strength workouts designed to build the muscle you need to support every mile, your training goes beyond the run. Plus, pace target classes designed to build consistency, boost speed, and improve your splits. Every single run supports your full training cycle, from recovery miles to challenging race- pace intervals. Experience our most advanced tread yet at onepeloton. com. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner of New York Road Runners.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That was awesome. Great to see people down there having a good time. That party is in full swing, by the way. So, they are rocking because it's a gorgeous day. A lot of happy runners down there. Rob Simmelkjaer. Camila Ramón, back with me is my co- host for the day from Peloton. And we've got a very special guest joining us today, Kristen Smith. Welcome, Kristen.
Kristen Smith: Thank you so much. I'm excited to be here.
Rob Simmelkjaer: How are you? Kristen Smith, two years ago, impulsively signed up for... This was the first race of your life, right?
Camila Ramón: First race in her life.
Rob Simmelkjaer: The RBC Brooklyn Half?
Kristen Smith: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You were a Yale volleyball player, turned into an executive at Meta. Very nice. Mother of two and suffering from depression, which we'll talk about a little bit. And since then, she has run five of the six world marathon majors, which is absolutely incredible.
Camila Ramón: Pop off, queen.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Total queen. Incredible. And Kristen, you talk about how running saved your life. Can you talk about that?
Kristen Smith: Yeah. So depression is something that I've lived with for quite a long time in my life, and the past few years have been particularly difficult. So, I signed up for this race on a whim. And as I went along, running just got me out of bed every single day. It was a thing that I stood up. If I can get out for a run, the day's probably going to be better, and it almost always was. And then these races, they really became beacons on the calendar, something to look forward to, something to make it to. So race by race and mile by mile, I feel Like I really got to the other side. And so in April, I finished Boston. That was the last one. So, I'm done.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Amazing.
Camila Ramón: Congratulations.
Kristen Smith: Thank you. I got my six stars. And then-
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, you got the six? Amazing.
Camila Ramón: Yes.
Kristen Smith: Oh, yes. That's an update. That's new.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yes. Yes, big update. Congrats.
Kristen Smith: Yeah. And so running this race again today was such an incredible bookend full- circle moment for my experience the last few years.
Camila Ramón: Now, you signed up on a whim for the Brooklyn Half in 2023.
Kristen Smith: Yes.
Camila Ramón: Can you walk us through what was going through your head that morning when you signed up?
Kristen Smith: Yeah, for sure. I left the city and I had moved to the suburbs. I guess, it's been four and a half years, but I feel like I've just accepted that I've moved to the suburbs a month ago. And so, I needed something to keep me entertained and something to do out there. Something that felt purposeful. And I said, " This seems like a reasonable thing to do. " And May's not that cold. I really don't like the cold. I grew up in Michigan, which is ironic.
Camila Ramón: I feel that.
Kristen Smith: Right. I think I am from Miami in a previous life.
Camila Ramón: In your heart, yeah.
Kristen Smith: Yeah. So there, we did it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, it's amazing. And what was it like for you to come back today and have this full- circle moment? You didn't just run, but you also ran for a charity, Solace House, which is a suicide prevention organization. Talk about how you got to know them, and what it meant for you to come out here today and run on their behalf.
Kristen Smith: Yeah. I think making my miles have more purpose than myself was really important to me as I went through the process of running these marathons and half- marathons along the way. They're doing incredible work. And I think access is such an important thing for mental health specifically, and for everything. And so many people don't have access to mental healthcare resources, and it's just essential. So, organizations like Solace House deserve our support. I was just honored, really, to run on behalf of them.
Camila Ramón: That's amazing. My story is very similar. Anxiety, depression. I think so many people can relate to your story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. You've said before that marathon training became a perfect metaphor for living with depression. Persist, show up, stay disciplined, lean on your community. Was there a run where you felt like that metaphor was the most true to you?
Kristen Smith: I think it's been every single one, truly. There's some point in a race, right? Every time you run a half- marathon, a marathon, you're like, " Wow, I don't know if I can do this." And it's just another step, another step, another step, another step. Get to the next mile, get to the next mile. And then you look around and you have all these amazing people running with you, who all have such incredible stories and so inspiring. And they carry you. You really swept up in the current of the people and the proverbial community, both literally and metaphorically.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I've met so many people over the last few years who have a story similar to yours. They were suffering from depression. And for one reason or another, they discovered running, and it just changed something for them, like a switch flipped for them.
Camila Ramón: Shout out endorphins.
Kristen Smith: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: 100%. One of the greatest things that we produce as humans for our own bodies, those endorphins. What do you think it was for you about running that has made this difference?
Kristen Smith: I think it was the consistency of it, this idea of discipline over motivation. Just showing up, and showing up again and having another good day, and having another good day, and another good run. And so, it's that micro thing, and you're... Every day. And then all of a sudden you wake up, and two and a half years later, I've run all the world major marathons. And I'm doing great.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Pretty impressive in two years, by the way. How did you pull that off?
Camila Ramón: So impressive.
Kristen Smith: The hardest part was getting into that, I have to say.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's what I was going to say. How did you get into that?
Kristen Smith: How did I? Quite literally, how did I? I ran all of them with charity. But then it was very exciting, because in Boston this year, I qualified for Boston but I think I hit the sweet spot.
Camila Ramón: Congratulations.
Kristen Smith: Thank you. I think-
Camila Ramón: That's an amazing achievement.
Kristen Smith: It was very exciting, but I think I hit the sweet spot where I didn't qualify by enough that I won't actually get into the race next year, and I feel good about that. I'm happy to leave the Boston race there.
Camila Ramón: You've had enough. It's a tough one, for sure.
Kristen Smith: Yeah.
Camila Ramón: I want to know what does your self- talk look like when you're in the trenches in a race?
Kristen Smith: Yeah, this is a great question. I spent the last month- ish, two months before this past race, really focused on the psychology of endurance. And so reading books, listening to podcasts. So a few things, I think distancing yourself from the pain and talking to yourself in a third person, which apparently is a real strategy. So instead of like, "You got this." Like, " Kristen, you can do this." Another-
Camila Ramón: " Camila, you're a baddy. Don't stop."
Kristen Smith: Yeah. " You got this. Let's go. You can do it."
Camila Ramón: I have a secret to tell you today, I called my husband at mile nine. Because you guys... Okay. They sent me the questions about the podcast that they were going to ask me beforehand, and one of them was like, " Talk to us about mile eight." So the whole time, I was like, " Oh my God, mile eight's going to suck." So then I got to mile eight and I was like, "Oh my God, this is so hard." So, I called my husband. Once a voicemail, I left him a three- minute voicemail of me breathing because I couldn't hang up. But then he called me back and then he was like, " Job's not done, baby. Job's not done." And I was like, " The job's not done, Camila. The job's not done." So the whole time afterwards, I was speaking to myself in the third person, telling myself the job's not done until I got to the finish line and finished the job.
Kristen Smith: Yeah. It works, right?
Camila Ramón: It works.
Kristen Smith: And how dare he not answer your phone call?
Camila Ramón: How dare he? He was sleeping. He had it on silent. He's studying for the bar right now, so he gets a pass.
Kristen Smith: Okay. We'll give him a pass. We'll give him a pass.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right. That's a pretty good pass. I like that. Tell me about your race today. How did it go? Were you happy with your day, your time? We were worried about the heat, but it turned out to be a pretty nice day.
Kristen Smith: Yeah. So, I feel like I was still in recovery mode a bit after Boston. Those downhills were rough, so were the uphills. So today, it went out with no expectation. I just wanted to really soak it all in and reflect on what this journey has been, have fun, and cross the finish line with a big smile. So, I got to do that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it. And do you have a goal now? You've done the six stars.
Kristen Smith: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: What's next for you as a runner?
Kristen Smith: This is a good question. I feel like I've purposefully have made myself pause on setting a next goal to just create some space to reflect. But that's totally my style, to immediately be like, " Okay, what's next?" Yeah.
Camila Ramón: What's your sign?
Kristen Smith: Cancer.
Camila Ramón: Oh, interesting.
Kristen Smith: I know.
Camila Ramón: It's very Sagittarius of you.
Kristen Smith: Well, there you go. So, I will run the New York City Marathon with the Bronx Burners.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, awesome.
Camila Ramón: Have fun.
Kristen Smith: They're For Purpose programs.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Love those guys.
Kristen Smith: Yeah. Rob said to tell you hello.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Hello, Rob. I saw Rob at the start this morning. Love him.
Kristen Smith: Oh, good. Good. Yeah, he's great. So, I'll do that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So for those who don't know, yes. Amazing. Is that-
Kristen Smith: Yeah, looking forward.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So what is your recovery going to look like now? Because you owe yourself probably some time off after Boston, after this. Are you going to try to keep a low burn of running going? What's your thinking about that?
Kristen Smith: Yeah. I'm going to take, at least, a week or two off completely from running and just reset. I'm a big boxing fan, a big boxer. So, I'll try to lean back into that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Oh, nice.
Camila Ramón: I'm a boxer, yep.
Kristen Smith: It's the best, right?
Camila Ramón: It's very meditative, too.
Kristen Smith: Yes. Can't think about anything else.
Camila Ramón: I can pay attention.
Kristen Smith: Yes, yes, yes. That's exactly right.
Camila Ramón: You don't want to get smacked in the face.
Kristen Smith: No, no. So yeah, just create some space for some other things in life. Spend some time with my kids, all that good stuff.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Congratulations on the run today.
Kristen Smith: Thank you so much.
Rob Simmelkjaer: On everything. You've done a lot and done it for some great causes as well.
Kristen Smith: Thank you. Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So, really nice to meet you.
Kristen Smith: So nice to meet you. Thank you.
Camila Ramón: Thanks for sharing your story. I'll see you on the leaderboard, right?
Kristen Smith: Yes.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah. All right, I love it. We've got some more people down on the field. So, let's talk some more finishers and send it back down to the after- party.
Tracy: We are back on the field here, having so much fun with more than 29,000 finishers here at the RBC Brooklyn Half. And one of those finishers I have with me today is Wake. Now, Wake is a Manhattan resident, but this is your very first RBC Brooklyn Half, and only your second half- marathon. Now, you told me a little bit about how you had maybe a little bit of confidence going into your second, and maybe you undertrained a little bit. So, relive this fun for me. Tell me about your thoughts.
Wake: Yeah. So last time when I ran in my first half, I went through a whole program. I used Peloton, one of their training programs or something. I was very on top of it. I was doing three to four runs a week. This time... I'm in med school right now and I'm in my clerkship year, so it's like the busiest year of our education. And I just did not run consistently. I ran two times this week, and ran six miles and three miles, and that was the most I'd run in one week for a while. So I run once a week, like three to five miles. It was not enough. So my feet hurt, my legs hurt. My legs hurt.
Tracy: But you absolutely did it. Now as a Manhattan resident, you know that the great thing about New York Road Runners is you get to experience all of the city by foot. And so now, you are in Kings County. You have run the RBC Brooklyn Half. What was the experience of running other Brooklyn and what was the experience of finishing, " I'm at Coney Island Boardwalk"?
Wake: Yeah, it was incredible. I think one of the things that I love most about New York is exactly what you said. It's just such a large, incredible, diverse place. So many different incredible neighborhoods. I come from Mississippi, and so it's a lot smaller down there. And so coming up here and just being able to go somewhere in Manhattan then come over to Brooklyn, and see all these beautiful houses and nature, and then finish on Coney Island with the coast, and all of my friends and supporters here, it's fantastic.
Tracy: Fantastic. I know all your friends are here to get these run faster. All of us friends have these great hats. We're having a great party here. The after- party of Maimonides Park. Thank you so much, Wake. I'm going to send it back to you. Thanks so much.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right. Thank you, Tracy. Tracy has such great energy. You can't not want to run a half- marathon after you hear Tracy at one of our start stages. She is fired up and bringing the energy to the after- party here.
Camila Ramón: That party is bumping right now. Let me tell you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: 100%. And it's going to bump a little bit more up here because we're going to talk not about the run, but about the recovery. And to help us talk about that, we've got our friend from HSS joining us, a physical therapist from HSS, Carrie Whitelam. Great to have you, Carrie.
Carrie Whitelam: Thanks for having me.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Yeah, absolutely. Carrie studied in the dance studios at Loyola Marymount University once upon a time, and then crossed into athletic training, and now a doctor of physical therapy at Touro. You got a degree from there as well?
Carrie Whitelam: Yeah.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So, you know what you're talking about. All right. Let's talk about all of the feelings that people are probably having down there in the field right now. I went down there earlier. Not surprisingly, a lot of stretching going on, a lot of movement. People are trying to get back into their legs. What is the number one thing that most of the folks down there are going to have to deal with in the next 24 to 48 hours?
Carrie Whitelam: Definitely, people will start to develop a little bit of soreness. But I see a lot of runners on their feet, moving around, which is actually a great thing to do after a run like this.
Camila Ramón: They're dancing.
Carrie Whitelam: Keep moving a little bit. Throw in a little bit of foam rolling and stretching just to stay on top of any soreness that might come up in the next day, two days from now.
Camila Ramón: Is there anything nutrition- wise that you recommend for people to do in these leading hours or first hours after the race?
Carrie Whitelam: Yeah, definitely. A little bit out of scope of PT, but definitely make sure you're refueling. It's hot. It's sunny. So, making sure you're getting a lot of good hydration, mix of water and electrolytes, getting that good balanced meal in. I guess, we're in Coney Island, so a Nathan's hotdog kind of hits a little bit of the protein and carbs if we're looking for that balance.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love it.
Camila Ramón: A lot of hot dogs out there.
Rob Simmelkjaer: You heard it from someone at HSS. It's okay to go have a hotdog after you run the RBC Brooklyn Half. I know a lot of people are going to take you up on that, for sure. What's the number one mistake, Carrie, that you see runners make in the aftermath of running a half- marathon or a marathon?
Carrie Whitelam: I think a lot of people have those high endorphins from finishing their run, feeling great, feeling fit, and they're afraid to lose that fitness. So, going after it too soon. So really making sure that you're taking adequate recovery. Kristen mentioned taking, maybe, a week or two off from running, which I definitely can get behind. Giving yourself proper time to recover, address anything that came up during the training cycle, during the race, really giving yourself time to rest and recover. Thirteen miles isn't a short distance, so really respecting that distance.
Camila Ramón: Absolutely not. And scientifically speaking, what is actually happening to your legs within the first 24 to 48 hours after the race?
Carrie Whitelam: So there's going to be a lot of like local inflammation in the muscles, and I think we think a lot about the muscles as being fatigued from a race like this, but also your nervous system becomes in a heightened state. So, not only do we want to give your muscles blood circulation system time to recover, but also giving that nervous system a time to rest, recuperate, recover.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Absolutely. So once you're in that period, when do you recommend if someone needs to, maybe, go for physical therapy? What's a good sweet spot to maybe go see a PT?
Carrie Whitelam: My role is kind of like first week out of the race. Be aware of what's going on in your body but don't be overcritical. And if it's something lingering, or something new that came up during the race, then definitely something to go see one of the physicians at HSS about, for sure.
Camila Ramón: Perfect. Okay. For example, now we're taking a beat, we're taking a break. What do you actually recommend that people do potentially training- wise to fill the gaps within this break?
Carrie Whitelam: I think you guys both brought up a great point about using this downtime from running to incorporate other exercise and activities that you enjoy. So now that we've got some nice spring weather, go take a nice bike ride, a nice easy walk around for the next week and a bit. And okay to add in some light, easy running maybe next weekend, but try to hold off any hard efforts, speed workouts, hill workouts until you have time to truly recover.
Camila Ramón: What about yoga and strength training?
Carrie Whitelam: Love it.
Camila Ramón: Perfect. Thank you so much.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I love a little yoga after a race. That's fantastic.
Camila Ramón: I love a good yoga after a race.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Stretch those puppies out a little bit. Are there any red flags, Carrie? If someone felt a certain thing or feels a certain way in the next few days, they should really make sure they get checked out?
Carrie Whitelam: Yeah. I think definitely, since we've talked about the heat quite a bit today, I know... I myself was training throughout the winter, and we didn't really have a lot of hot days to train for, so we're not quite used to that. So, just making sure that heart rate is coming back down to normal. And then in terms of musculoskeletal, if you feel any sharp pains or things that aren't resolving with resting, stretching. Once it's past that acute three-, four- day window, then you could think harder about it.
Rob Simmelkjaer: A lot of people who ran today may already be signed up for the TCS New York City Marathon or another fall marathon. And when that's in their head, they want to start getting ready for that as soon as possible. But we're still only in May.
Carrie Whitelam: Exactly.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Our marathon's in November. So, what's the mindset you think that someone should have coming off of a half- marathon like this in terms of when they need to start really thinking about getting ready for the marathon?
Carrie Whitelam: I have run this race many times, and also done the New York City Marathon that following fall, and I always gave myself from this race until 4th of July just to rest, recover, enjoy movement for movement. I feel like that's helpful for most patients and stuff. It still gives you a good training block, but it gives you time to recover and recuperate from the training block that you put in for this race. And you've set yourself up with a really good foundation that the recovery is just as important as the training.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And the mental break too, right? Because I just feel like... I meet a lot of people here who they just never stop training. It's like they can roll out of bed and run a marathon any day.
Camila Ramón: Yeah, I don't understand that.
Rob Simmelkjaer: I just feel like give yourself a break, not just physically, but mentally.
Camila Ramón: Yeah. As somebody who's been running for a long time, I definitely feel like the mental break is absolutely needed. I have a question for you. If there's somebody who potentially is going through something, recovering from an injury, going through something, they're not able to run at the pace that they want to run or the mileage that they want to run, do you have any tips mindset- wise to get them to move forward and to feel good?
Carrie Whitelam: Oh, that's a great question. I think thinking about what got you there, and that everything that you're going through between in that tougher period is just going to make you a stronger runner on the other side of it. Oftentimes, I'm working with runners who are injured and they're not running right now, but we're working on things like cross- training or strength training. And I actually... You guys were speaking about Boston earlier. I had a runner who was constantly, constantly running. And last training cycle, she dropped her mileage quite a bit, really focused on some strength training and PT, but then she also worked with a trainer as well. And she actually ran a PR in Boston a few weeks ago.
Camila Ramón: Wow.
Carrie Whitelam: So really, using that downtime. Even if you're not running, there's plenty of other things that you can do to help strengthen your body and make yourself more resilient.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Tell us about some of the folks you've worked with. You've worked with collegiate athletes, professional athletes. What's a good story of someone who, maybe, you really helped get a big recovery or a comeback from an injury?
Carrie Whitelam: One story that comes to top of mind was I, a couple of years ago, worked with a patient who had multiple sacral stress fractures. She was a collegiate runner. She got proper medical intervention to address bone health issues, and we worked really hard on PT. She was patient. She took the time recovering that she needed, was very persistent and diligent about her return to running protocol. And she actually ran her first marathon at the New York City Marathon last year.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's amazing.
Camila Ramón: Wow. That's an incredible story. And as somebody who has been to HSS for my accessory navicular bone, it's incredible to also just get checked out and be adamant about being consistent with your PT, even though... You don't have to wait until you're fully injured and you literally can't walk to go see a physical therapist. Take care of your body, do your recovery, foam rolling, all of that stuff. What else should they add?
Carrie Whitelam: I think you nailed it all.
Camila Ramón: Perfect.
Carrie Whitelam: And just making sure that you're giving yourself good recovery on top of all the miles that you're running.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Shout out to my doctor, Jordan Metzl, at HSS, who put three gel injections in my right knee earlier this year. And now, I've been doing PT at a location of HSS up in Connecticut. So, it's a journey.
Carrie Whitelam: Exactly.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And you mentioned the patient's thing. And that is, so often, the hardest thing. I've actually had to take a decent amount of time off since I ran Chicago. I've been edging my way back to 5Ks now. But I come to something like this and I'm like, " Oh, I want to go back and run a hat."
Camila Ramón: And while you're in it, it also feels like it's just never going to be over. You're like, " Oh my God, I'm never going to be able to run again. I'm never going to be able to jump again." But that's not the case.
Carrie Whitelam: Yeah. And I think sometimes when you're in PT, you can find solace in the stories from your therapist, or even other patients that are there at the same time. It's always funny when patients are icing at the end of their session or something like that, swapping stories like, " Oh, what are you in for?" And knowing that you're not going through it alone, there's other patients going through the same thing, other patients and runners have gone through it in the past. So, it's tough when you're going through it, but know that you'll come out stronger on the other end.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right. Carrie, thank you so much for being here.
Carrie Whitelam: Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: And I hope all the runners out there are feeling great, but if they're not, HSS is a place to go.
Carrie Whitelam: Absolutely.
Rob Simmelkjaer: So, thanks for joining us.
Camila Ramón: Thank you.
Carrie Whitelam: Thanks for having me.
Rob Simmelkjaer: All right. We got Tracy back down on the field, talking to more of our finishers of the RBC Brooklyn Half. So, let's head it down to Tracy.
Tracy: We are so happy to be back down on the field. And guess what? I'm extra excited to talk to Astrid, because we know a race like this with 29,000 runners, it's going to be a lot of people have been here multiple times, and they... This is one of their traditions: to run the RBC Brooklyn Half. But for Astrid, a New Yorker, this is your very first. Not only RBC Brooklyn Half, but your first half- marathon ever. So first off, congratulations. That is gigantic milestone for a runner. So, tell us about that experience, and what it was different from how you might expect it, how you thought it was easier or harder. What was your experience like?
Astrid: So, this was my first time doing a half. I've been training. I trained in Central Park and around my neighborhood. I'm from East Harlem. And I feel like it was... I was expecting the worst. I kept hearing like, " This is a tough one. This is a tough one." So mentally, I felt like I was preparing for the worst. The hill, it was like, " Oh, the hill's going to kill you, but you got it. You got..." And when I did the hill, I was like, " Oh my God, I did the hill." So even though I didn't train as much as I wish I could have, it felt really good. I feel good. I did it. I never lost my breath. It was really good.
Tracy: I could see the afterglow on your face of a finisher, but also that little special twinkle in your eye of a first- time finisher. Tell me what was it like running all of Brooklyn, and especially finishing on that Coney Island boardwalk. Talk a little about the finish line, that breeze you experienced.
Astrid: It was great. I feel like when I was in mile 10, mentally I was like, "Okay, I just have like 3. 1 miles. I'm almost there." But then little by little, I felt like my body, my legs giving in at 11 and 12. And I was just like, " Is this almost done?" But then right when I was... I think it was like 800 meters left, I saw my brother. He's my little brother, but he's 28. And that gave me that boost that I needed, and it was the adrenaline rush and just giving it my all. So when you see everyone cheering, random people, strangers cheering for each other, people from the same country, from other countries, cultures, it just gives you that adrenaline that you need and that you wanted to just go for it. And it just feels like you're literally running the breeze.
Tracy: You could not have explained that any better. The community of running, the way we get together for cheer for one another. I'm cheering for you. I'm so happy to know you. I'm proud of you in this moment. Great job, Astrid. Congratulations. And we're going to send it back to you with smiles on our faces.
Rob Simmelkjaer: We've reached the end of another episode, but not just another episode, a very special episode of Set the Pace Presented by Peloton here at this amazing scene, at the after- party of the RBC Brooklyn Half. And Camila Ramón, an amazing debut as not just a guest, but a co- host as well.
Camila Ramón: How did I do?
Rob Simmelkjaer: You were an A plus. Can we give it up?
Camila Ramón: Thank you.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Let's have a round of applause for our Camila. Really great job.
Camila Ramón: Thank you so much. I had a blast. Whenever you need me, you know where I am.
Rob Simmelkjaer: Absolutely. We will definitely have you back. It's been so much fun. But first and foremost, congratulations to everybody out there.
Camila Ramón: Yes, congrats.
Rob Simmelkjaer: That's right. Congrats to all of our finishers out there. Have a great recovery, but just enjoy it. You did a great, great thing finishing this race on what was not the easiest day to run. Hope you like this episode. Make sure you subscribe on YouTube, or Apple Podcasts, or Spotify, wherever you found us. And we will see you next time. Enjoy the miles.