Speaker 1: New York Road Runners is a non- profit organization with a vision to build healthier lives and stronger communities through the transformative power of running. The support of members and donors like you helps us achieve our mission to transform the health and wellbeing of our communities through inclusive and accessible running experiences, empowering all to achieve their potential. Learn more and contribute at nyrr. org/ donate.
Speaker 2: Thank you, New York. Today we're reminded of the power of community and the power of coming together. Athletes, on your mark.
Speaker 3: The first woman to finish for the second straight year here in the New York City Marathon is Miki Gorman, a smiling Miki Gorman. And why not? 2: 29:30, the time for Grete Waitz.
Speaker 4: Look at the emotion of Shalane Flanagan as she comes to the line. Pointing to his chest, pointing to the USA he so proudly wears across his chest. A great day for (inaudible) .
Speaker 5: All right, team, welcome to Set the Pace presented by Peloton. I'm your host, Becs Gentry flying solo today as Rob is off in Paris with his daughter for the final weeks of this year's incredible Olympics. And yes, I am going to be right behind him heading to the games later this week too. I cannot wait to get over to Paris. I have been glued to the NBC broadcast and just watching primetime every evening, catching up on all of the medals, all of the wins, and all of the drama as well. Not that it has been much, but it's been a really, really strong year. I've got to say. I think the women have been really, really floating the Olympics this year. Watching the women's triathlon yesterday, just the women came over the line, they were on the floor. They gave it their all. And I haven't been to the Olympics, but I got close and I know what that feels like. So I can't wait to get out there. I'm hopefully going to watch some of the games. I'm going to be running the Marathon Pour Tous on Saturday night. And then I will be doing lovely, lovely commentary hits for the women's marathon on Sunday morning. You can also find me on the NBC social, which is going to be really, really exciting. Training as well as all of this, I've got to say, it's inspirational watching the incredible athletes out there in Paris. It's really giving me the energy I need to get out for my miles and my training for this bizarre race that I am still doing. This was the back of a 114- mile week, which is just mind- blowing. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I am also in awe of my body that's allowed me to do it. And I got to finish it off with one of my most favorite races in Brooklyn, which was the Brooklyn Mile. And I say it's one of my favorite, because I get to run it with Austin and Tallulah. We ran it last year when Tallulah was teeny, tiny. And we'll talk about it more, but we got to run it this year together as a family. And Tallulah actually ran over the finish line by herself, which was tear- inducing and pride- elevating and all of the good stuff. So that was finishing out a really big day and a really big week. But there is nothing more inspiring than re- listening to podcasts when you run. And that's what I've been doing. I actually listened to last week's episode with the Paralympic power couple of Oksana Masters and Aaron Pike, who will both be heading to Paris in a few weeks for the Paralympic Games. And they also did help inspire the choice of our guest for this week. So yes, shortly. Hold on, hold on. We will be joined by Tallulah's dad. Before we get to Austin though, who is patiently waiting, I want to share a little about this week's member moment highlight that Meb will be sharing shortly. Joanna Carter is a lifelong runner who began her journey in Barbados. And she's returning to running here now. She's 75 years old. She continues to inspire others through her participation in New York Road Runner's Striders, where she remains committed to staying active and celebrating her resilience by training for half marathons. Joanna and her fellow Striders will be taking part in this weekend's Percy Sutton Harlem 5K. So if you'll be out in Harlem this weekend, keep an eye out for those New York Road Runner's Strider shirts. Make sure you say hi and give them some really good words of encouragement. Now, because we only have 13 weeks until the 2024 TCS New York City Marathon, I absolutely cannot believe it. Nope, nope. 13 weeks does not feel like long enough. But needless to say, this week's Meb Minute will be focused on what you should be thinking about 13 weeks before the greatest marathon in the world. So of course you got to stay tuned for that. Whatever summer plans, Peloton is here to help you meet your running goals. Whether you're tracking your own route, trying a new trail, or crushing interval runs, Peloton offers a variety of running and walking content to keep you moving anytime, anywhere. Feel supported the entire way and get ready to move with Peloton. Try the Peloton app in the Apple, Android, and Google app stores today. Peloton, the official digital fitness partner for New York Road Runners. All right, should we move on to the main event of today's show? This is a guest I know very, very well, but I may learn a thing or two about him today. And I'm so excited to better introduce him to our Set the Pace crew. Here is the man who changed my world, my inspiration and my partner in everything, including with our wonderful daughter, Tallulah, Mr. Austin Curtis. Hi.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 5: We're not sitting side by side doing this together. We've separated ourselves into different rooms so we can actually have a good conversation here.
Speaker 6: I'm sitting in Tallulah's nursery chair, which I've spent many, many of hours here. So it feels quite comfortable, but it's always funny (inaudible) you on, actually me trying to be quiet when you guys are recording these and now I'm on the other end of it.
Speaker 5: Yay. Well, thank you for sharing your day with us today. So the reason why I wanted you on, I was inspired by Oksana Masters and Aaron Pike last week and their absolutely beautiful relationship that they share. The support that they give one another through their training, through the highs and the lows, and through their journey of life. And I know when we met our lives were very, very different. And here they are. Well, here we are, should I say. And I think I want to ask you, about when we met. There are so many things that people could ask you like how you met? Why you met? And what's your favorite answer? What do you like telling people about how we met?
Speaker 6: I think we met, both of us it was... Our paths would've crossed at some point, but they crossed that weekend that I decided to stay back in the city. It was around July 4th and I know that, because it was my brother's birthday. And our car broke down, it overheated like going through the Holland Tunnel and I was just like, "Wait, I'm not sitting in a tow truck with you 200 miles to the beach house. I'm just going to go back to our place (inaudible) and hang out." And we met watching the Women's World Cup. Actually Team USA. And we met at a bar at 10 AM on a Sunday to watch that game. And I think we decided it was good luck if we took a shot every time USA scored. But I think we started as friends as first. There was very much a physical attraction, but I think I just saw an energy that you had that was intoxicating and someone I wanted to spend time with. So after that day, we just made a plan to go for a run and went from there.
Speaker 5: Running bringing everyone together. You see? And we actually met through a friend who I knew through running. So we always tell people that we kind of met thanks to running in many ways.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Our friend pulled the group together that went to watch that soccer game. And that's how we met.
Speaker 5: Wild times. And that was over five years ago now. Look at us fly. Okay, so now we've got the nitty- gritty out of the way in the relationship conversation. I want to tell people or I want you to tell people a little bit more about your journey in sports. Everybody knows that you run, we often run together, but your background isn't necessarily running, unless you can call it running on ice, I suppose. But you played hockey. That was from when you were born. I can attest to Austin's dad, I think maybe still has a tiny hockey boot of yours or something. But you literally say you played hockey from when you could walk, all the way through from University of Colorado and Boulder to the men's league, right? In Chelsea Piers.
Speaker 6: (inaudible) .
Speaker 5: Had to get it in, babe. Very proud of the men's league.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a glorified men living out their childhood dreams is the men's league.
Speaker 5: But hockey was your first sport love, right?
Speaker 6: Yeah. So I grew up in the Philadelphia area, so Philly Flyers, Eagles, it was... Philadelphia is a very blue collar sports town, at least the upbringing that I had. So there was an AHL team called the Phantoms. And they always ran promotional deals. So we seemed to always have tickets to go see the Phantoms play. Hockey is not a sport that anyone in the family had played before. But after going to a number of the Philadelphia Phantom games I wanted to play. And asked my parents if I could and had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. And I think if they did, they would probably have pushed another sport, because it's quite early mornings, late nights. And at the level that I started to play at, quite intensive in travel and expensive as well. So that is... Yeah, I grew up playing ice hockey. Became quite talented I would say, and started playing on some select teams and club teams, and got to see a lot of the East Coast, Canada, and travel quite a bit for a young teenager. And had little brother, Quinn, kind of follow in my footsteps and started playing hockey. But it was a very new sport for the Curtis family. And paved the way and what that allowed. But it's just a sport I loved. I tried... I would say I'm decently skilled at other sports, but not really great at any other. But hockey just came very natural and I enjoyed it. So just kind of focused on that and it allowed me to play in college, and now in a very glorified men's league. Which I think is really just an excuse for guys to probably get out, continue to play, and have a couple beers after the game.
Speaker 5: You're very humble. I remember the first time, one of our early dates, and you took me ice skating. And I was petrified, because I am Bambi on ice. I move in one direction and that is running. You think running and ice skating might go kind of well together, but no. I got it in the end, but you were such a good teacher and very patient and your skills were evident there. And then having since seen you play hockey in not an actual match, but at our friends league, you are very, very good. Very, very humble. But that leads me to ask you then why you transitioned away from hockey and into running focus. Because I know we're going to talk about your Ironmans as well, but running focus, what was the reason?
Speaker 6: No, hockey, it was always something I enjoyed. In off seasons there were... We did training. It was a lot more time spent in the weight room than cardio- focused exercise. But there was that element to it. So it wasn't super foreign and a hard or unnatural transition to running. But I think plain and simple was when I moved to New York after university, there was a void that needed to be filled. I was very used to a routine schedule of at least being on the ice once a day, sometimes twice a day. So that would be two to three hours of some sport- related element in my daily activity. And when I moved to New York, I was out of college, I had an internship and a job in a retail store, but didn't really have the means to... One, continue to play hockey in York is quite difficult. But also join, even have the... To (inaudible) enough money to join a gym membership. So I knew that... I remembered training in the off season was running. And I had a pair of running shoes and decided to see and give that a go. And what became very challenging runs, just to make it a mile or two, I started to find that I could go a little bit further. I remember I lived over on the East Side on 34th and 1st. So right on the running path. And I remember the first time I went for a run and I went down and I was just like, " Oh, man. I'm getting pretty tired, but I just want to make it to the bridge." Which was the Williamsburg Bridge. I got back and I didn't even have a watch at that point, so I couldn't track how far it was. And I put it into MapMyRun.
Speaker 5: I used to love that app.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was only like 2.5 miles and I was gassed.
Speaker 5: We all got to start somewhere.
Speaker 6: Exactly. And a couple of the guys that I was living with, they wanted to join in. So each night we'd go out and go for a little run. And I just incrementally tried to get further. So it was the Williamsburg Bridge. And if you're familiar with the East Side, it's Williamsburg, then it's Manhattan, and then Brooklyn. And the ultimate goal was to be able to run down to the tip of the island and back. So that took some time to get to, but I made it and kept going.
Speaker 5: That's the thing about running, I think once somebody in your friendship group starts, especially if you live with a bunch of people, it is something that others want to join you on. And we've seen it amongst our friends when we both start training. They know we're runners, but we'll start training for something and then all of a sudden one of our friends is like, " Oh, hey, I went for a run today because I saw you did." And even in our neighborhood, we've made friends on our road and people have started running because they see us running all the time. That's the way running goes. And I think starting out small, especially if you are following in somebody else's inspiration is fantastic. And then building up to running to the tip of the island and back up to 34th, awesome. I mean, that's a pretty long run. That's no easy feat. Done it once or twice.
Speaker 6: Yes. Today.
Speaker 5: So when you first... Today... When you first did your marathon, your first marathon you did in 2016, right?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And we... Well, I didn't know you then. I say we. But you did just under a five- hour marathon. So 4: 55 was your time for the Philly marathon in 2015, sorry. So that's an incredible time. But then obviously your passion for running and training intensified because your personal best over the 26.2 is the New Jersey Marathon over in Asbury Park in 2019 where you got a 2: 57. Which is nuts. That is a two- hour difference in your marathon time. So what changed? What did you do differently?
Speaker 6: A lot changed in that time, I think. No, when I first started running, it was just to fill that void of a miss for hockey and training and also just years, 15- plus years of having that discipline. I needed and also wanted to have that. But a lot of things came into play in that I'd say I moved to New York in 2013, 2014. And by 2015 ran my first marathon. And in that time I met David. And that's how you and I eventually met years later. But David was a collegiate runner and when he moved to New York, I would start running with him and that was the first time I had ever run with someone that it looked absolutely effortless. And something that... And I was competitive. And so I wanted to see if I could run faster. And so I would just go out with runs with him, whether it be longer runs, faster runs, like tempo runs. But he was a great training partner to have in the city. And then also knowing I have a twin sister, Michaela, and she was a D1 collegiate gymnast. And when she graduated and kind of wrapped up her gymnastics career, because it more or less finishes after college, she also was looking to fill a void. And so she started running. And we have a childhood friend that had run the Philly marathon in 2014 that we went and cheered on. And I think it was both of us at that point, we didn't say anything to each other, but kind of knew that was something that maybe we wanted to do. And it's one of those things that if you aren't necessarily... We're so tied into the running community that it seems like every conversation with friends and colleagues, it's just like, " What's next and what are you doing?" But the idea of a marathon, I try to think back to when that seed was first sown. And for a lot of people when they first see something like that, they question and ask themselves, " Is that something I could ever do?" So when Michaela and I saw our friend Mike Sundry ran a Philly Marathon, next year came around and we were like, " Hey, we should think about doing this." And so that's who I ran my first marathon, was with Kayla.
Speaker 5: Hand in hand over the finish line. Mr. And Mrs. Curtis.
Speaker 6: That was the first Ironman when they announced that. She actually did a marathon before that, it's a very small one from Cape May, New Jersey to Stone Harbor. And I jumped in and ran 17, 18 miles with her. And I was running quite a bit, but that was at that point the longest I had run. And it was... I think once we finished that I knew that I was like, " Oh, I can train for the Philly marathon." But I didn't have any idea how to train. A quick Google search was this is your 16- week step training program. And Michaela has... She was studying personal training and coaching and so she did a little bit more of the research than I did. And she would send over like, " Hey, this is what we should be doing this week." And I remember distinctly, she came up to New York, it was our first 20- mile run that we both were going to do. And I had mapped it out on MapMyRun, and it took us up the west side loop of Central Park, back down the west side. And it was a week before the... Because Philadelphia Marathon is always after New York. But they had the grandstand set up and we ran through that and it just got you so excited for what was about to come. And also a slight distraction on the six, seven miles we had left to run down the west side. But we both, we were following our training program, but that week neither one of us ran. So we were like, " All right, we'll see how this goes." And I remember nearly dying in the Whole Foods on Chambers Street. That to say that that first marathon was, I think I was just so focused on completing the distance. Time was never a question. I had no idea what to expect. I just wanted to complete the distance. I wanted to run it with Michaela and enjoy it. It was the Philly marathon. It was very close to home in both location and in the heart. And that was the first experience. And after crossing that line, I think many people have one of two thoughts is, " I want to do that again and have that runner's high." Or, " That's it, I'm good." And I had the feeling of there was more left in the tank. And I wanted to see what I could do. Sub- three, that idea did not come for a couple more years. It was more of like, "Hey, can we go under four hours?" I think was the next thought.
Speaker 5: Chipping away.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And then it was sub- 3: 30. And then it was, " I think I might be able to do this sub- three." Because I was around a bunch of guys that they would just call each other like, " Oh, he's a 27 guy, he's a 19 guy." And I had to ask them, I was just, " What do you mean, like a 27 guy?" And it's just like they don't even put the two in front of it. They just know that they are sub-three. And I wanted that. So I'm a 57 guy at the moment
Speaker 5: And in between all of that I have to give you props because I think anybody who ran the 2018 Boston Marathon deserves an absolute round of applause for completing that race because that was... I got pictures of you and Dave just powering through that race in my mind whenever I think about it. You got to the finish line when a lot of people didn't. So that I'm sure helped add a little bit of an edge before the New Jersey Marathon as well.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. That was pure grit to get through that. We woke up that morning. We were sitting in this Airbnb kind of by the finish line. Yeah, by the finish line. And we had a bus to catch. And we just opened the door and he was at the time in OTQ shape. And I think he had a quick realization that that just was not going to happen that day, which is tough in many ways. I, on the other hand, just was like, " All right, we'll see what we can do."
Speaker 5: It's just some rain.
Speaker 6: It's just some rain. And it just got worse and worse and worse. So yeah, that was... I mean, what a crazy race day experience that was.
Speaker 5: Unreal. Well, that kind of just sums up a bit of your grit and your determination and that has translated very well into what I still think is utter insanity. That is the full Ironman. And you've done three, which is even weirder to me. I live with you, I have a child with you. And I still think that is just bizarre. And watching you train for your most recent one, which was Ironman Indiana was awe- inspiring. The hours you'd spend individually or those disgusting brick sessions. It was COVID. So you were kind of locked up in our apartment on the Peloton bike to get your long rides in and between tread and when we could get outside for you to do your runs. And then you actually did get to a pool as well for that, but it wasn't as much as you wanted. And you still absolutely crushed Ironman Indiana in 11 hours and 20 minutes. Which I mean, I was exhausted watching you and hearing you and trying to find you. And that grit and that determination, I think... I know your parents and I can see where you get it from when I look at them. But for you, where do you think you get that willpower and determination to keep moving for 11 hours and 20 minutes?
Speaker 6: Well, I always say hats off to the support crew for those races. Because I have cheered Michaela on during some Ironmans that she's done, that I did not race side by side with her. And they are long, long days. Even at a world record pace that's still seven, eight hours of cheering across three disciplines. And you're trying to see them and your athletes in different spots. So hats off and thank you so much for coming to the race in Muncie, Indiana there.
Speaker 5: That's an experience.
Speaker 6: But as far as training for that, I think... Oh, man, I have followed Michaela in her athletic ventures. And the marathon was a bit of both of our ideas when we first started training for that. And then our Aunt Georgia, she did an Ironman and that was in honor of our mama (inaudible) . She was a collegiate swimmer and that was always her strong suit. And as she was a bit older, she started cycling with friends. And I think in that world, the KONA Ironman was always the pinnacle and they broadcast it. I remember always watching that and just seeing those athletes push themselves through three disciplines in the scorching heat, it was... And it always came down neck and neck. So the idea of an Ironman was always in the background. And I think (inaudible) .
Speaker 5: (inaudible) it's always in everyone's background. You pulled it forward.
Speaker 6: Pulled it forward.
Speaker 5: I think about it. And then I realize that I would either drown when I'm swimming or fall off the bike because I'm scared of un- clipping myself. But you made it happen. Three times.
Speaker 6: And so I think the first Ironman that I had gone and seen was Michaela doing one in... It was either North or South Carolina. And they were ready to start. It was a rolling swim start. And I had been in touch with her during her training, because I think I was training for a marathon. But I did not understand the discipline that you need to have to put together a training block for a full- distance Ironman until later when I signed up. But I was standing at that start line and the sun was coming up. And the bagpipes, the Scottish bagpipes were playing. And I was just quite emotional watching Kayl go out and just almost gladiator style, like, " Whoa, she's going to go swim two miles, bike 112, and run a marathon." I couldn't fathom that idea. And then to watch her accomplish that... And there's a little caveat in that, and that's I think maybe what inspired us to run our first, or to do our first Ironman together was there was quite a bad storm that came in. And it actually canceled 30, 40 miles of the bike. So it wasn't technically a full- distance Ironman. They still gave medals out, they did all three disciplines, but they had to shorten up the bike course.
Speaker 5: Michaela needed retribution.
Speaker 6: So there was a little asterisk on her name, on her finish. So she wanted retribution. And I had... We were a couple of years out of college at this point. But I said to Kayla at the finish line, I was like, " Let's do this together." I think that was the first thing I said after congratulations. And a week or two later I sent her a link for Boulder Ironman. And I thought to myself at that point, if I'm going to do one of these, I want to do it in a beautiful and very familiar scenery. And we signed up for the Boulder Ironman. And that is where we crossed hand in hand, Mr. And Mrs. Curtis, by the announcer's idea. But that was, yeah, it was the training for an Ironman and triathlons in general, I quite like it's broken up across three disciplines.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you like the change, yeah. You like to switch it up.
Speaker 6: I think you might switch over after this, 777.
Speaker 5: No way. No chance. Not a chance. Unless you're trying to off me. But then that started you guys off. And I think from my standpoint, one of the toughest things I've ever seen for you on the sporting side was the Ironman... Where were you going to do it? Texas?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was Ironman Texas. And you and Kayla had both been training for this one again to do together. And you were fully trained. And you were three, two weeks out, maybe?
Speaker 6: We were tapering. Yeah, we were tapering.
Speaker 5: Yeah. You were in taper. And they canceled. They canceled it. So you had done the complete training cycle, both of you. And it was just unreal to watch and just to see you train and it kind of... There was nothing you could do. You couldn't even do it virtually because the world literally shut down. But you got Muncie Indiana in not too long after. And now you're chasing your Six Stars with the marathon with Berlin and London left to go. You... Well, we both just did Tokyo. We both had a wonderful time in Tokyo. I got to see you finish Chicago and New York. And New York, I was actually at the finish line to see you come in, which was one of the most emotional and incredible moments for me. But now you are not running everything with Kayl. You've now got another training partner in me. And I think people always want to know what it's like for us to run together and train together. So I'm going to give you a green card here to be honest, because I know your honesty, you're very polite normally when other people ask. But you can go for it. What's it like?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, we've shared a fair share of miles both training for... I mean, our most recent race, Tokyo. Actually I did not train really at all for Tokyo, because I was quite sidelined with some... Just being sick and the holidays and it just... But we still had a fun time on that race. And Chicago and New York were quite last- minute decisions and actually decided by you. So I don't feel so bad pushing you into the 777 (inaudible) .
Speaker 5: You've got your own back.
Speaker 6: But those were... Yeah. I had always wanted to run New York. It's such a special race. I've cheered on a number of friends, have been on the sidelines for many of years. I'm not a huge fan of training for fall races, because it just... Running in the summer, the heat is tough. Just kind of...
Speaker 5: That's why we're different.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Takes a bit away from social life. And I think that's different now that our social life is...
Speaker 5: I was going to say, what social life? (inaudible)
Speaker 6: This was in our early 20s, I think. I didn't want to train during the summer months. But both very, very fun races. Different. Each have their special moments. New York being able to... I got to see T and give her a kiss right by our house in Brooklyn. And then knowing that you were at the finish line, we both had very special days for us in New York. But as far as running with you, we've had some very good runs and some very frustrating runs.
Speaker 5: We've fallen out (inaudible) . Let's be honest. We've fallen out on one or two runs.
Speaker 6: I think with the public listening, I want to just clearly define going for a run and asking someone to go for a run, whether it's a significant other or a friend, and just what the unspoken rules are in going for a run is that the slower person decides the pace. And the other person that accepted the, " Let's go for a run." Matches that pace. And I would say most of the time we are even keel, even though I know that I'm holding you back. But every once in a while, as much as I love the view, you're a few steps ahead of me. And if I decide like, I'm feeling fit and want to push you a little bit, I just know you have so much more left in the tank. And so even if I become even with you again, you just keep pushing it faster and faster. So I know that I just don't stand a chance. And I...
Speaker 5: I'm your coach. Listen, I'm your coach. I'm just trying to help you get that speed workout in even when you didn't know it was coming.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 5: I've definitely had my ponytail pulled a few times by you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely. So I sneak a headphone in my running belt in case I find you 20 steps ahead of me. And I think that's the most difficult and challenging is, why do we not just run next to each other? But it's not like you're miles ahead of me at this point. And sometimes we do have those runs where we warm up together and you have a speed session and you go on and we know our way home so we see each other back there. But it's the runs that I find you only about 50 feet ahead. And I'm just like, " Why wouldn't you just run with me?"
Speaker 5: I blame our New York pathways. And that you're always moving out of someone's way. And you're a gentleman. You let me go first. But yeah, I know. I've been really trying to hone that in and I think it'd be really (inaudible) .
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So let's talk about your... Now I realize that it is kind of payback for signing you up for Chicago and (inaudible) .
Speaker 6: 1000%.
Speaker 5: New York. And Tokyo. All in a few months. Which is now concerning me. But you and David Kilgore are the reasons why I'm doing 777 this November. And obviously David was the real- time inspiration. You and I sat there and followed him on his journey in February, 2023 when he did the race and we were just in awe. And absolutely exhilarated by his performance on those seven runs around the world. And then you just, as you put it the other day, planted the seed and kept watering it. And here we are. Here we are. Me asking you to join me for many miles or as many as I can or as many as you can training. And I think I want to know what it's like live living with somebody who's training for this race.
Speaker 6: To be on the sidelines. Yeah, no. I mean, watching... We were in Naples, Florida. Which is a much shorter drive than New York to Miami. And we were following David that week. And I know you had him on here recently to talk about this challenge. And we were going to go see him at the finish line, because he's a friend of ours. I was introduced to him by you. And we had joined him on just... Who randomly decided to go for a 100- mile run around New York. And we've seen him do that. And I knew... I knew that... I know what makes you happy and your gears turn. And after Tokyo Marathon, I knew you wanted that sixth star. But you were ready for another challenge. And it's I think a very different challenge. And you're familiar with the distance and you've constantly, every time, I mean, take Tokyo away from it, but every race that you've trained for is always obviously time- focused. And so this was a challenge that was the same distance, but more endurance. And I mean, there's so many elements to what you're about to embark on. Mental, physical, spiritual. But it was when we saw him finish that, I knew, I could see that you were eyeing it up. And I just had to vocalize it and put it out there. So we both knew that it was on the table. And I'd let you sit with it for a while. And I think after... We talked about it right after the race. And it wasn't until after Tokyo that I think that you were like, " Okay, I'm ready for something." And that seemed to be what you kept coming back to. I know there were some other races that you have on your list that you'd like to do one day, but this is something that you may not be able to do or want to do at a later point in your life where some of those other races are. And I know you've got a big birthday in a couple of years and you want to do it before then, so this seemed like a good year to do it. Training with you is actually nice. Because our friends, Kersh, who's your coach is giving you some times that are much more in my wheelhouse to run (inaudible) . And I can actually, by coach's guidance, pull you back to run slower (inaudible) , because it's more time on feet than distance ran.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 6: And so we've had some very nice runs recently. And it also helps that you might have 80, 90 miles on your legs during the week before we go on that first run, so I know you're a bit more tired.
Speaker 5: I feel like my training has sort of helped amp up yours. Just a little bit. Given you that motivation to start going to track workouts with Alex Kay from Peloton, Matt Wilpers, Tunde. You go out on a Wednesday morning and you do that workout, which I think is... Both of us have got this energy right now.
Speaker 6: No, I think it's like you mentioned earlier, it's like our neighbors have seen us run and have always had food around and gone for runs. We've seen two of them run the marathon this year. And a couple more running their first half marathon. And so there is this energy around, and that's not just running, that's in many elements I find in life is when you're surrounded by people that motivate you, it's tough to not be inspired by that. So seeing you run and have the discipline, it reminds me a lot of Ironman training, because it's the hard work are done in the shadows. You're not rewarded every day with messages, compliments, congratulations. It's not until your race day or race week for what you're training for that people come out and wish you luck and congratulate you. And so I have a front row view of seeing the sweat, the tears, the excitement, the nerves. I see all of that. And that very much pushes me to... I'm not training for anything at the moment. I go in cycles of training. I don't always have something on the calendar. I'd like to just enjoy running as well and I think that's... I've had some time goals that I've hit. And I've been very excited by that. But it's also finding the joy in sharing miles with you, sharing miles with friends. Recently the track workouts have been very fun to have a group to suffer with. Because the track is not-
Speaker 5: And our little girl.
Speaker 6: And Tallulah.
Speaker 5: And we get to share a lot of miles with Tallulah in the stroller. And we got to share a mile with her at the weekend. Not that we're pushing her into running.
Speaker 6: Yeah. She's pushing herself into running. She is... No, and I think that's inspiring too of just, she's at an age now where she's nearly two. And she sees us and what we do and she knows what we do.
Speaker 5: Yeah. She knows mama run. Mama run.
Speaker 6: And she's been to your work and has seen a live class, so she very much knows what we're doing. She enjoys going for a run. Even our babysitter is... She only goes to her... We have two strollers. We have a jogging stroller and a standard one. I'm actually about to put the standard one in storage, because she only wants to go on the jogging stroller.
Speaker 5: Yeah. She only wants to go on the jogging stroller. That's it.
Speaker 6: And it's... Yeah. It's (inaudible) .
Speaker 5: Well, what can we do? We've got the inspiration, we've got the little girl who is there. But well, thank you for being my inspiration. Thank you for being my push and my support network. Without you and T, there's no way I could be doing this at all. I'm going to be pushing you to get your Six Star Medal very, very soon. We're hoping for London to be your Six Star next year. We'll have a big celebration there. And whatever future... I'm thinking the coach role. I think you'd be really good at the coach role. But thank you for...
Speaker 6: I've got one client.
Speaker 5: You've got one client. You've got me. Thank you for joining us today for this episode, Aus, it was nice to chat with you about running and have honest conversations about couples' running goals.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 5: Where can people find you if they wanted to check you out on social?
Speaker 6: @becsgentry on Instagram. No.
Speaker 5: You can find him on Instagram.
Speaker 6: What's my... AustinJCurtis on Instagram. I am a very... It is running, baby, and...
Speaker 5: Pretty things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty things (inaudible) .
Speaker 5: Well, thank you my love. And good luck for all of your next miles.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Joining us today is Joanna Carter, a member of New York Road Runners Striders. A free walking and fitness program for older adults, age 55 and up. Joanna's passion for running sparked in her childhood in Barbados has had to be put on hold at times due to health challenges. However, her determination to stay active was never waned. After discovering the Striders program, Joanna has found renewed inspiration and such a supportive community helping her reclaim her love for running. Now she's in her second year with the Striders. She continues to build her strength and mobility aiming to celebrate her 75th birthday by participating in a half marathon. Proving that it is never too late to reconnect with the joy of fitness.
Speaker 7: Joanna, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 8: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 7: It's an honor to have you. Thank you for being with us. You have been running all your life, but you recently joined Striders. It turns out this is your second time around with the New Yorker Road Runners after a long layoff. Can you tell us about what brought you to NYRR first time around the 1980s and now in the '90s?
Speaker 8: Well, in the '80s I was up here and I wanted to run, because I always found that running was a release. Getting out and being able to run, freedom sort of thing. So I looked around and asked which clubs would have me and stuff. And I found New Yorker Road Runners. And that's why I went with them. Plus, it was Central Park running and that sort of thing. At that time most of the races were over there. The runs and so forth. So that's why I joined New Yorker Road Runners the first time around.
Speaker 7: That's great. What brought you back to running after long, not being able to do?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was cycling and stuff, but this time I had this weird idea again, " Let me jump back into running." Because I wanted to celebrate my 75th birthday this year. And I said, " What a better thing to do?" Kind of celebrate and run. So I found the Striders on Facebook and I said, " Let me see." Because I figured if there... They had the exercise class and I know what exercises can do for your body to prepare you for running. And I said, " Let me join them." And plus it would be with a group and that sort of thing. And it's turned out to be very helpful. This Striders exercises and that sort of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Exercise is important at all levels, but as we get older is even more crucial, more important. In that regard, why did you join Striders and how has that been going?
Speaker 8: It's been going pretty good, being with the group. And I must also mention to you too that I've been trained while I was working, I trained to be NASM. So I know the importance of exercise and running. And plus when it was with New York Road Runners, I did a thing with Grete Waitz, a camp. And I also did the running with... I don't remember the names of... There was a husband and wife team that used to run, do training races in Central Park. And that's where I learned to sprint and do... Because I used to train on my own, never had formal training. But that group in the park helped me a lot to really get into placing. Because I was running and stuff. But I like to compete, I like to, if I run, I want to finish, I want to finish up front. So that training helped me, in Central Park training. I can't remember the name we used to call it. But yeah, I know that training and exercise and nutrition and all that helps with running. Yes.
Speaker 7: It's a complete effort from walking to strength training to mobility to nutrition.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 7: It is important to have those moments, but you can get away when you are in the 20s, 30s, or 40s. But what do you tell the Striders on to get them to get into a routine?
Speaker 8: Well, the thing is, I've been even trying to get people to join with the Striders and stuff, but I find it's tough because when you get older age like me, it's hard to... I got a young... Not young. A person I met (inaudible) a volunteer. Because I usually do bike volunteering and stuff. And I told her. She joined up with me, she got the shirt and everything, but she hasn't gone back. And she got the shirt before I got my shirt. And I find it's very tough when you're a certain age. I've been sending out notices to friends. And even have a card I'm going to take over tomorrow at a class to let her put up in her church, because I find that when people get older, we sit and we don't want to bother. But if you move, it helps you to... They don't realize that the movement helps you to continue with everyday life and that sort of thing. You know? Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. Mobility is a positive energy to everybody. And doesn't have to have be age or gender. It's always good to be able to be positive example. But you'll be running the Harlem 5K this weekend.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: What are you looking forward to?
Speaker 8: Just placing and better time. Because right now, I just... Because really this was supposed to be a fun thing. The competition, yes, in my mind I still, I like to see that I'm the top with the Striders. Because I've been doing that. So what I do each time is see if I could progress a little more. Because I wasn't running for a long time. So I know I have to, as you say, (inaudible) then crawl, then go for it. So yeah, now it's just to finish. Finish strong. The first time I did it, I said, " When I get to the last mile, I'm going to speed up." No, I did not no speed up. But the second race I did, I found I (inaudible) . And the last one I did, I had that last mile going. So it takes... When you haven't ran for a while it takes a while. And I even look back and say, "You know, Joanna, you probably should have keep doing your little running and stuff." But I switched over to cycling and that's what happened. Yeah, I just stopped running and I was cycling. I would walk though. Because I used to walk. When I would start running, I used to go for walks. In fact, that's how I found out, you (inaudible) seen that I had something bothering my heart, because at work I would notice I go downstairs and I couldn't breathe. And I didn't know what it was. And I was walking. And I told my primary care doctor, something is not right. And they sent me and found that my right atrial was having a problem. So I had ablation done. So I was walking for a while before I started running back and riding. But I'm good now. I'm good now. Because they tested me. I put in my notes that I'm going to celebrate my 75th by doing a marathon. And the doctor could read my notes, because I'm at all these different hospitals (inaudible) NYU. I told that doctor, my doctor at Presbyterian who's checking my heart saw it, and he told me... I forgot that it was to mention it to him. And he said, " Wait, I noticed you're going to run. Wait, you didn't tell me anything." And I said, "How did you see that?" He said, " In your notes." So yeah, and he sent me for a stress test. He said, " You're good to go." But I am not good to go this year for a marathon, because I listen to my body so much. For years I've been doing it. And it says, " That is a bit..." So I'm going to do the half on Staten Island and that will be my celebration. Then I'll be 75 when I'm running it. I'll be 75 years (inaudible) . Yeah, this year.
Speaker 7: Well, congratulation on being healthy and moving and mobility. It's wonderful to see. You've been an example to others. But later this month you will be running the greatest Gallop Race you ran almost 30 years ago.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: What does it feel like to return to the race with so much more life experience behind you?
Speaker 8: Yeah. When I first was signing up, because I had my coach checking it for me, what could I do and so forth from the Striders. And I didn't see that one up. And then I saw that it's for members only. So I sent her a note and said, " Could I get it?" Because I had such great... I have to look for it, because she has signed a card for me and so forth when she was alive and stuff. And I had such fond memories of her. So I have to be in that one since that's also part of the celebration. When I saw that, I was like, " Gee, I have to run that race." So I got in and I'm so happy that I would be able to do it. Although it's close to this one. Because normally I wouldn't let two races be this close at my age, but I wanted to run it this weekend. And then I saw that and I said, I would just go and finish it just to celebrate her and myself at the same time. That sort of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. Grete is an icon and what she did with Fred Lebow and what she have done for the New Yorker Road Runners is incredible. I'm glad we'll honor her and glad you're going to participate.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm going to her camp. I still have her notes and stuff. She give us things, how to run and stuff. I still have her printouts. Yeah, I keep those and stuff. And I thought, when I was at my job I used to share them with other people. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Wonderful. Well, keep up the great work. We're so delightful to have you here and keep up the great work.
Speaker 8: Thank you for having me and so glad I could even speak to you because this is also a pleasure. This is when I saw your name, I said, " Jinx, I'm going to talk to him." So yeah, I appreciate this.
Speaker 7: Well, I appreciate you and thank you for cheering for me and supporting me over the years.
Speaker 5: Thank you for joining us, Joanna, and for being a member of New York Road Runners. And now back to Meb for this week's Meb Minute.
Speaker 7: This week is be consistent. Consistency was the bedrock of my success. I ran on the same day each week, which builds discipline and steady improvement in my fitness. Find a routine that works for you and stick to it. It pays off in the long run. For example, I had an 8: 30 practice every single day of practice. Even when I was in college, I had eight 08:00 AM classes and it just works to be able to have consistent and stay to the target that you want. And fitness will come together slowly but surely. And you can make those progress make big time. So be consistent and you'll do great.
Speaker 5: That does it for another episode of Set the Pace, a huge thank you to Meb, Joanna, and of course Austin. Rob, I hope I held down the fort well enough and I'm going to see you very shortly in Paris. If you like this episode, please go ahead and subscribe, rate, or leave a comment for the show on whatever platform you're listening on. This not only helps us, but it helps others find out about the show too.