Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Pastor's Perspective. I'm your host, Brian Perez. It is Wednesday, the 18th of June, and look at that. We are here, ready to talk to you. The phone lines are open. 888-564-6173. Oops, my phone isn't ready. I forgot to silence. But I will do that right now, so that, uh, well, first, let me introduce my panel here, and then I'll fix my phone. We've got Brian Broderson, pastor of Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa in Southern California, and author and apologist, Doctor Bobby Conway, the pastor of Image Church in, uh, San Juan. No. Oh man, Charlotte, North Carolina. I get the image church is confused, so to this day. And then did you catch that you said I am the pastor of Gri Chapel Costas? Actually I said pastor, not the pastor, but I guess I didn't say a pastor I think you said. No, I think I said I, I did just say pastor, but that opens it up to it could be watch YouTube and then send it to you and show you that you said it's OK because I was the pastor, but for a long time, yes, and now you're a pastor. Yes. Hey Bobby, hey bud, you got the, got the prison gear on looking good.
Speaker 2: Yes, my wife says I look like what are those guys called in Italy, the,
Speaker 1: oh yeah, the gondola gondola gondola.
Speaker 2: Yeah,
Speaker 1: gondola looks like Elvis Presley in jailhouse that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: That was the. I got it in Italy. It's a nice comfortable Italian made threads. Very good. All right, 888-564-6173
Speaker 1: is our number. You can also send in your questions by using the pastor's perspective Facebook page on Messenger. Or you can DM us on the pastor's perspective Instagram, or you can go to Kwave.com and click on my forehead. That takes you to the pastor's perspective page where you can submit a question. Or if you're watching us on Facebook, YouTube, or Instagram right now, scan that QR code there on the bottom right of your screen, and, uh, that'll take you to the page. And then you'll get your question to us, but the best way to get an answer is to call us when we're here live, like today, till 4 p.m. at 888-564-6173. Got the uh conference. Calvary Chapel.com coming up. Well, that's where you got registered. What is it, Brian? Well, pastors and leaders conference, yeah, um, we're actually kind of rebranding it as a ministry conference which We did intentionally to broaden it because we wanted to offer encouragement and so forth to not just senior pastors, but to, of course, you know, other Of the pastoral staff at churches, but also to the different ministries, the youth ministry and the uh worship teams and the children's ministry and you know all the different aspects of ministry we have. Uh, something special for each of them coming up at this conference. The theme of the conference is the way forward, ministry according to Jesus. And so we're looking at that great uh passage of scripture, those chapters in John chapters 13 through 17, where Jesus very intimately encourages his uh closest disciples about the ministry as as he returns to heaven. And then, you know, sends them out into the world. So, so that that'll be the text that we're covering and you know, the conferences consist of main session teaching, they consist of, uh, great workshops that are more specialized like I mentioned, uh, really sweet times of worship and prayer and a big thing that we focus on is fellowship. You know, you come, we, we got people coming from all over the world, so it's great. Um, to get together, people that you haven't seen maybe for some time to just hang out together, just have fun, uh, have some coffee, sit around, catch up, uh, all of those things are what happens at a conference. So, yeah, so I'm looking forward to that, and that is actually kicking off this Sunday evening. So Sunday night we do like a, a kind of it's almost like a soft launch, you know, where we get together and it's basically just kind of to prepare our hearts. For the week we worship, we pray together, and then Monday morning is when we really jump into the schedule. So, but as you said, conference.covery chapel.com is the place where you can get all the details and you can register still and of course we will have um registration on the day for people who just can't get around to registering now and will have to come and register there, but, um, that will be fine. But this year we are at Reliance Church in Temecula, California. So for, for many, many years we've been here with the conference and we decided to move it around a bit so we're out in Temecula and bring your shorts because it's gonna be warm. If it's warm today, you can imagine what it'll be like next week. Yes, yes, indeed. All right, conference. Calvary Chapel.com to get the details. And, uh, let's get to some of your questions now, starting with one that was sent in on Facebook. This is from Joe and Orange. It's more of a prayer request, but um it's kind of a question in here too. So Joe says, I'm asking for prayer in my family's healing. Earlier this year, January, I had to report a sexual abuse case for my granddaughter to police. My daughter didn't believe her own daughter's words about what was happening. After police and CPS backed off, she moved closer to her boyfriend, who was the abuser. We haven't seen or heard from my daughter or grandchild since April. I would like them to come back where it is safe. So Joe's asking for a question uh prayer, but I guess the question is what can Joe do in the meantime as he's navigating this? Of course, pray, but You know, Is there anything else, Brian, what do you think? That, that's really tough and um I, I don't, I don't know. I mean, it sounds like the The legal angle has. Not produced what it seemed like it it should have in this case. So I don't know, I, you can never go wrong praying and you can, uh, in certain circumstances, you really can't do anything else. So you can ask God to protect the child. You can ask God to expose what's really going on, uh, you can ask God to open the eyes of the mother to the realization that no, this, this is really happening and what is she doing with this guy and oh my goodness, you know. Uh, and, and God hears our prayer. So, so don't lose heart, uh, don't grow weary in praying, keep praying and see what the Lord will do. Yeah, so if everybody could please keep Joe and his family in your prayers, that'd be excellent. And, uh, here's one more that was sent in online before we go to the phones. It's from Kimberly. Why are there many Christians who use curse words? I have a few really godly friends whom I look up to, but in recent months, I've heard them use a curse word at least once. I was extremely. To hear a foul word come out of their mouth. What was more shocking was how nonchalantly it was said. They didn't apologize or seem to be convicted by saying it. I don't get it. I thought our words should be with grace and with the same mouth that we praise the Lord, we shouldn't curse others. I didn't take it too seriously because they weren't cursing someone or cursing at someone. They were simply using the curse word in conversation. They also didn't speak this way in front of a large group. It always happened in a small group setting of people they trust, but I still don't get it. I'm new to learning God's grace and the freedom we have in Christ. I've been walking with the Lord for about 4 years. I try not to judge them. I would just love to see what you guys think about this. PS I'm not talking about Christians who struggle with being pure and living in all sorts of sin, because I know those kinds of Christians, and they curse almost every day. They're easy to figure out. I'm talking specifically about Christian leaders in the church who strive to be like Christ and be holy in all their conduct like he is holy. Bobby, what would you say to Kimberly?
Speaker 2: I, it, it definitely is something that can create a sense of confusion, especially for a newer believer. Uh, I think what ends up happening in our culture, it is very compromised in a lot of ways. I mean, you even think about just today's youth, I mean, many of them. Just have no shame whatsoever about living with their boyfriend or girlfriend. They just don't think that's a big deal or having, you know, sex before marriage. It's just no big deal. But uh it might not be a big deal to them, but if you look at the Bible, God cares a lot about sexuality. He also cares about our words. The Bible says that we will be accountable for. All the words that come out of our mouth, and that's pretty frightening if you think about it. Uh, there's people that just can end up getting in a habit of using language and I think it's important that we realize that people are listening to our words, God hears our words, and our words are the overflow of our heart, and we will be accountable to them. Uh, I, I, so the place of language, this, this can be, um, You know, something that people end up talking about where I've heard the conversations too, and I think, wow, it's, we're just kind of minimizing this here, like as if our words don't matter, our words matter and our actions do matter. Is there ever an appropriate place for it? So some would say Paul used the word skubala, which would be, uh, you know, basically the Sword. Uh, but when he's using it, if that is basically a foul word, uh, if, if someone took that stance, uh, it would be in a setting where, you know what, it's like calling what is is in that sense. But when people end up, uh, using a language just freely cussing all the time, I just don't think it's a good habit. And I think that, you know, since we're going to be held accountable, that's the one argument that people might bring up like is there ever a place where it's just fitting and that can be an interesting discussion, uh, to go into, um, but I, I know that people will pull out different Bible references for that, but I bring that up saying. It's better just to err on the side of just speaking. Appropriate words
Speaker 1: Any thoughts, Brian? Um, yeah, I, I mean, I agree with, with Bobby. The the only thing I would say, which is not contrary to what Bobby said, but I would, I would be curious about what are the words that are being referred to here, because I, I think there are some words that truly are inappropriate and I think there are other words that are, are not, I mean they're just, you know. Their, their words. I, I think, you know, obviously we don't want to get graphic here on, on here, but I think, you know, when you're when you uh use that like the S word, Bobby referred to the Sword. Well, you know, there's so many different Ways of referring to this what we're talking about here, you know, there's the, there's the C word that is the equivalent of the S word, more commonly accepted, and there, yes, and then there's the P word, P O OP and you know, so it's like, so I, I wonder sometimes it's like, OK, why is the S word like we're, we're all talking, we're talking about the same stuff. These are like 5 different ways to describe the same. Gross stuff, the stuff that I picked up in my backyard today that my dog left, uh, in the backyard. Um, so I, you know, that's the one that I, I sometimes wonder like, OK, how, you know, how, how it is that that we, we have this sort of graded, um, thing and. And you know, Bobby, if you go back and you think of somebody like Martin Luther, you know, and he, he used the S word quite, quite freely and, you know, found it very appropriate in many circumstances. So, um, yeah, I think, you know, there, there are words that I think are clearly words that are that cross the line and that coming out of the mouth of, of, of a, of a mature Christian, I think, well, that doesn't seem. You know that that doesn't seem right. And you know, one of the things that I base, I, I mean, scriptures says let no filthy language proceed out of your mouth and so forth, but then again, OK, well what are we talking about? I think a lot of it, um, the references are to kind of sexual innuendo, you know, things that refer to. That's that that sort of thing. But I do know that when I became a Christian, before I became a Christian, I talked just like everybody else and used all those words freely and frequently. And when I became a Christian, I stopped and I didn't stop. Because somebody told me to stop, and I didn't stop because I tried to stop. It just disappeared from my vocabulary. And so I think, well, that's something that God obviously did. So why, why would I want to reintroduce into my vocabulary something the Lord extracted from it? So, yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: I mean, it, it could because if anything, well, you know, most people probably won't think much of it, but there will be people that might get confused by it. Um, I do think that, that if somebody was thoughtful, though, like what you're saying and said, so there's a difference where I can see like, for example, somebody used the S word or the P word. Uh, what, what or the C word all referring to the same thing. I don't think because somebody leveraged S instead of C or P that now they've sent, if it's used to describe what S, C, and P is. But if you call somebody S C or P. Now you're using a word in a put down way. So there's like guys and gal anatomy, there's different words that can be used and they can be synonymous, but those words represent what That anatomy is when you call somebody else the anatomy in a put down way, I can see that being simple. Uh, I just think it's a, uh, is it the best use of words? Is it gonna, is it, is it, is it the most tasteful? Is it the way you want your kids talking, so to speak, but I don't think it's sin in the same way as if you use the word words have a context. That's exactly what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and, and, you know, Paul's, um, Paul's word to the Ephesians, you know, um. Let no degrading speech proceed from your mouth. So he's talking about speech that degrades, speech that is, um, intended to say something negative about a person. So, and you know, you don't have to use curse words to do that. I mean, yeah, there's other words too, so true. So yeah, we're, but rather words that edify words that build up. So and that is something that Kimberly mentioned in her email, she said. Uh, these people were not cursing someone, they were just using the words in general. So yeah, and you know, um. I think there, you know, there's a, there's a, there really is a cultural thing here too, because I've been in places where, um, you know, people will use words freely, um, that I, I wouldn't use. It's, it's just like this is just the word they use, which I don't think it's the best choice of words, but it's the word they use. So, but yeah, I Yeah, I think, I think the, the real key is derogatory speech or, or blasphemous speech, things like that are, are really the things that, um, and, and like you said, Bobby, I think the anatomy thing is, is good, you know, when you're calling somebody a, you know, a part of, of the male anatomy or, or whatever, you know, the female or or both or whatever, you know, yeah, that's. Uh, it just seems like. Um, You know, what's that, what's that proverb about, um. Like, uh, pearls or, uh, it's something about a swine and pearls, you know, they, they kind of really don't go together in the pig's snout, the, the, the ring and a gold ring and a pig's snout, you know, it's like, uh, you know, somebody using that kind of speech, and I, I think it's actually a woman that's being referred to in the, in the proverb, but you know, it's kind of like a gold ring and a pig snout. Uh, it doesn't go, doesn't fit. It's not supposed to be there.
Speaker 2: That's a good way of looking at it too.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed. Now we have calls that we want to get to, so that we don't want to keep going on this, but I, I just really quick, uh, Kimberly mentioned she's been a new believer, uh, she's been walking with the Lord for about 4 years, but in recent months, she's seeing this. So I don't know if she's saying that when she's gathered with these people before for small groups or whatever, this didn't happen and now all of a sudden it seems to have come out of nowhere. So is it that they're trying to be hip and cool and trendy and reaching a younger generation for Jesus by talking the way they do. I mean, I don't know. What would you? Yeah,
Speaker 2: it's kind of like people in our culture today. They're just maybe. Maybe going too far in some ways, but there could have been some legalism and about some things, but then now people are feeling freed up and now they're shifting into a little bit of license that I think can happen and Uh, the danger will be is we'll shift back into legalism again, and we just need to learn how to walk holy and humbly and not be legalistic.
Speaker 1: And I, and I think if you're, you know, if you're doing it even subconsciously to be cool or to fit in or to, yeah, then that's automatically the wrong, the wrong thing to be doing, you know what I mean? Yes, yes. All right, we could take the entire show talking about this. We almost have. Uh, Kimberly, thank you for your question today on Pastor's perspective. Now let's go to the phones. Here is Rudy calling in from Baldwin Park, California. Hi there, Rudy, welcome to Pastor's Perspective. Hi, Pastor, thank you for taking my call. You bet. What's going on? How can we help you? What are you wondering about today? I just finished reading the book of Job, and what I was wondering is Leviathan symbolic or is it actually a real creature? And my second question is, what are the signs when the Antichrist comes into power? What are the first signs that we can recognize them as Antichrist? Those are my two questions. Brian. Mhm. Uh, yeah, those are good questions. Well, the first one I think is easy. Leviathan is, uh, in Job, Leviathan is an actual creature, and so you, he, there's a pretty clear description given, uh, of Leviathan in Job. And so I think that it's a, you know, some sort of a, seems like a dinosaur of some sort, but a a water, um, dinosaur. And then you have the behemoth described as well there. So I think both of those are, you know, the Lord is even saying like, you know, check these out. I mean, and these using them to illustrate something. But then there's other places where Leviathan is used, and Leviathan is used symbolically of uh Satan. And in Isaiah, for example, there's uh references to Leviathan, and the references there are um Uh, figurative and speaking of of Satan. All right, and his anti-Christ question? Bobby, you most recently taught the Book of Revelation, so. Tell us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so some of this is gonna obviously depend on one's eschatology, uh, you know, so there's some people that have different interpretations as it relates to the book of Revelation and the way things will pan out. Uh, but if somebody is a believer and they hold to a pre-trib, which I hope is the correct view, uh, then the Christians will be out of here and they won't even have to worry about recognizing, uh, the anti-Christ, uh, but at the midpoint of the tribulation, if, you know, uh, people are left behind, uh, and they wanted to know. Uh, there'll be things that you have to be mindful of, like, uh, you know, the, the, the mark of the beast taking the mark or even when, um, you know, the anti-Christ kind of sets up and the abomination of desolation takes place at the midpoint. Um, you know, if you're a preacher ever ever, uh, here's a good sign that that this is going to happen if the church is gone. If you, if you're a preacher, uh, if, if, if, if you have people that believed in pre-trib and then Jesus returns, you can know that this is gonna happen pretty quick if the church is out of the place, which is astonishing on that view, right? Like to think that, but you, we've seen it in the Bible that she can be so large. You think that everybody would have been warned by their loved ones that are Christians, right? That would, that, hey, um, Jesus is coming, you can come anytime. Uh, you want to escape the tribulation, and then Jesus comes, they reject it, and then they would still reject the fact that all these signs are still happening right before them. That is a, it's astonishing, but it, you do see these moments in scripture where the hardness of the heart can be just so overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I, and I think personally, I think we have uh there there was always a question. In, in the back of a lot of people's minds, like, you know, how could, how could the whole world be duped? How could the whole world be brought under the control of a, of a single person? And I think with the events that have happened in the past, you know, 10 years, I think those questions have been answered. We see how this could actually, uh, roll out pretty quickly. And like you said, Bobby, the, the inclination toward deception is, it's astounding. Uh, how people will just get swept up in, in the moment and especially if you have a person who comes on the scene who seems to be like the solution, he has a solution to everything. It's like, oh yeah, you know, sign me up. I'm gonna be part of what this guy's doing. You can see that so easily these days. Very true, uh, Rudy, thank you for your phone call today on Pastor's Perspective. And now let's go to Joe, who's watching us on YouTube and Riverside. Hey, Joe, what did you want to know? Hi, pastors. Um, yeah, in Luke chapter 17, in the whole chapter, it looks like, I mean, it looks like there is almost 56 different themes to the chapter. Is that the case or is it, or is everything connected? It's something I'm missing. Uh, give us an example. What do you mean by that? OK, uh, let me see, sorry, I'm not. I'm not looking at it, let me see. Well, it's like the first two verses talk about it'd be better if a millstone were hung around the neck of someone who's um uh is it offends, yes, I was reading that out of order, sorry about that. And then um if your brother sins against you, rebuke him, uh, and then the part about the mustard seed. So you're saying it almost seems like individual thoughts, but are they supposed to be all taken together, is that what you mean? Yeah, yeah, I just wondered if there's something I'm missing because I'm, you know, because
Speaker 2: it looks like they're
Speaker 1: totally different themes,
Speaker 2: but pushed into
Speaker 1: just, you know, 10 verses. Is that 10 verses
Speaker 2: altogether? And Brian, what do you say it's kind of just under the category of Jesus teaching how to live out the kingdom life and here's some different things that are subjects that fall under what that looks like from a big idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he, you know, he jumps from, um, you know, he Then he said to the disciples, uh, it is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come, so he's, uh, giving a warning that could be connected back to the previous chapter. But then, um, the apostles, so then it changes in verse 5, the apostle said, Lord, increase our faith. So then he talks to them about Um, you know, their faith being increased, but then you go in verse 11 to the, a whole new story, now it happened as he went to Jerusalem. You have the 10 lepers that are being spoken of here, and then as they near Jerusalem, when, uh, he was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he answered and said to them, and so it just, yeah, it just seems like Luke is taking us through both um. Things that Jesus was teaching and sort of moving from one thing to another and then taking us also chronologically on the journey to Jerusalem and the The events that were happening conversationally as they were going. So what you're saying is like in verse 5, he's starting a new thought almost. The guy has nothing to do with verse 4. It's just a new Yeah. Like it could be maybe a chapter break, the chapter break maybe you think should have been there or yeah, it could be, I mean, you know, it's not, it is a different, it is a different subject. So, um, but it could just be, you know, like the sermon on the Mount, for example, Matthew 5 to 7, uh, Jesus starts off with the beatitudes and then he, he goes further and he develops all throughout the fifth chapter things. In, in one sense that are clarifying the law and so forth. Uh, but then you get into chapter 6 and the topic changes and he's talking about, um, Trusting God, not worrying about our lives, uh, knowing that, uh, the Lord cares for us, uh, much more than he cares for the birds of the air, so we don't have to worry, um, your, our Father in heaven. Yeah, so, I mean, it's pretty consistent the way the gospels are laid out that that the writers do take us on a journey. Um, sometimes from topic to topic and sometimes from event to event. Joe. Got it. That help? That sure does. Yeah, and there and you know, Joe, just so you know, I mean, there are times, especially when you're teaching through the gospels like I've done. A number of times, you know, there are times where you're trying to find the like, OK, what's the thread here? What's what connects this? What is the context? Is he saying and sometimes, you know, you read something and you realize this is connected back to chapters to what Jesus started back here. So it's, it's great to ask that question and to wonder about that and it's and and to kind of try to follow the thread too. So now you know, Joe, thank you for calling us today here on Pastor's Perspective. 888-564-6173 is the number to call us today. We would love to hear from you. We're gonna be here for the next 30 minutes, so grab an open line, 888-564-6173. If you're watching on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, or is there another one? I think that's it. Facebook, YouTube and Instagram. Uh, you can call in with your questions. We've got the number there on the bottom of your screen, or you can scan that QR code there on the bottom of the screen, and that'll get you to the Kwave.com page where you can fill out a form and send in your question to us. We probably wouldn't read it today on the program, but at least we'll have it ready for tomorrow. All right, 888-564-6173 coming right back. Well, that was a short break. We're back on Pastor's Perspective. 888-564-6173 is the number to call. I'm Brian Perez here with Brian Broderson and Bobby Conway, who will be taking your calls for the next few minutes at 888-564-6173. You can also send in your questions online, as I said a little bit ago, and here's one that Samuel sent in. Hello, brothers in the Lord, thank you for your ministry that touches lives daily. There are two questions I would like to ask. What's the difference between happiness and joy, and what's your take on the series, The Chosen? Bobby, you want to take one or both, or what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: I don't really have a preference, so Brian, do you have a leaning on which one you feel? Led to talk about?
Speaker 1: Well, since I have not watched a single episode of The Chosen, it's gonna be hard for me to talk about it, um, although I'm, I think it's great, um. So happiness and joy, what's the difference between the two? Yes, what do you think of the TV show Happiness and joy? I'm joking. There's a TV show? Not that I know of. There's so many channels nowadays. There could be something. Well, you know, um. The the the common. The way that people define the difference would be that, uh, happiness is generally uh based on outward circumstances. I'm happy because I'm having a great day. I'm happy because I won the lottery. I'm happy because my girlfriend said she wants to marry me, um, so I'm happy. Uh, joy. Then tends to be something that is more internal and it's not so much related to outward circumstances. So your outward circumstances might not be ideal, maybe your girlfriend said you didn't want to marry you, but inside you still have a settled, um, A, a joy. So, I mean, you know, a while back I was doing a, a teaching on this and I was thinking it's, you know, it's kind of hard because you get different opinions from different people and it it's a little bit hard to To separate the ideas. So Jesus says, blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God. Some translations read, oh, how happy are those who are poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God. So, the word, the, the, the Greek word that is used there, um, is a word that can be translated happy. So, is Jesus talking about happiness or is he talking about joy? So, all of that to say. I'm sure there's a distinction, but I don't know that it's as sharp as people often imply that it is. Bobby
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said. I would say is relating to the Chosen, I personally have only seen one or two episodes. Um, I've heard wonderful things about it. I, I did watch an episode and, uh, I can't remember exactly, but one of the disciples, I think, had like cerebral palsy and there were a couple of things in it that, that They took some license and I'm OK with a little bit of license because you're trying to fill up several series. Uh, I think you're trying to do your best to be as true to the story, and I think that from what I understand, they're, they're trying to do that for the most part. Uh, I actually really want to see it myself. I mean, it's apparently very touching. I don't think, I think there's a lot worse things people can watch. Probably the one thing that You have to be aware of, and I would say when you're watching anything that's put out Christian is that sometimes we can confuse things with what's in the Bible and, and what's not. And so this stuff happens all the time as it relates to Christmas time, you know, these Christmas greeting cards go out and then people start confusing, you know, how many gifts were brought and they start mixing up the story and We have to be aware that if we don't read our Bibles, then we're not gonna even discern what's going on, and that would be kind of a hard thing for me, uh, if I'm watching the chosen and then I'm touched, but now I'm walking around talking about how this disciple had cerebral palsy or. Uh, there was another thing in that episode. I was like, this is just not accurate, but it wasn't inaccurate in the sense of, I would say heretical. They're trying to fill a story out, and if you know the Bible, then you can go through that journey and not freak out. The danger is when people start talking about parts of the chosen and confusing maybe stories that they see. Thinking that that's what's in the Bible and so be be in the word more than you are in the show. Some people will have spent more time watching the Chosen series and ever reading their Bible, and I'm glad that they've watched that, but if we're getting our information exclusively that way, then we're not going to be able to discern.
Speaker 1: Very good, Samuel, thank you for sending in your questions on Kwave.com. Do you have another thought, Brian? Uh, no. Oh, OK. I would take another call. Go ahead, Bobby.
Speaker 2: No, that was my, um, phone that used my voice to say something like, um, and you heard that. So yeah.
Speaker 1: So is it like AI Bobby Conway answering questions today on Pastor perspective. We're not gonna put up with it's
Speaker 2: my channel, the graphite apologist a bit, I think that I didn't have it on mute and I think it captured my voice, and I hate when it does that because I don't like listening to my own voice.
Speaker 1: Well, we like listening to your voice for as long as we can. You won't be too much longer, uh, Pastor Brian. Well, that is true. Um, we have an announcement to make. We have an announcement to make, yes, and Bobby and I had a little, we've we've been having this conversation for a long time actually, but we actually had a conversation earlier this morning and because I've got traveling coming up and all kinds of things like that, um, I wanted to take a few minutes and talk a little bit about kind of the future direction of this program. And the fact that Bobby, who has been the rock star of this program for many years now, um, that he's going to be transitioning out of his role here on the program and focusing on some other things that he feels that would be good for him to focus on at this time. We've talked about, um, him. Coming back on the program, uh, maybe one day a week in the future, and I think we feel good about that, but I think Bobby, you kind of said you, you feel like you could use a bit of a break, which a lot of people on the west coast don't realize that you're, you know, this is dinner time for you. You're like 6 to 7 and we're still hanging out, you know, between lunch and getting off work. So, um, But let's talk a little bit about that. But first, let me say, um, as I, as I mentioned, you know, the program's changing a little bit, nothing major, just as far as, you know, some of the voices, particularly Bobby's, um, that has been such a staple, and I'm so thankful for all the years that Bobby's has really, um, held down the fort, you know, that's what you've done and you've done such an extraordinary job. And I appreciate that so much and as we as we move into the future and some changes here with uh our radio ministry, um, I will still be here and kind of sitting in that more anchor seat along with my good buddy Brian Perez right across from me and then a number of the different guests that we normally have Phil Metzger and. Um, Char Roderson, Richard Cimino, John Wong, um, you know, different people that we have, we'll, we'll continue with all that, but, but Bobby, um. Let's talk a little bit about just how much fun we've had. Yeah, right. And just a little bit about, you know, what you're thinking for yourself for, you know, the next 6 months or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, first off, it, it has truly been, um, the highlight of my ministry life working with you guys. I've really enjoyed this and it's been so much fun and I'm excited for what the future holds for, uh, for the radio show and for my own life and, uh, I absolutely, um, am, you know, happy to come back on and fill in. I think, uh, what. I, I'm doing now is, you know, about a year and a half ago or whatever, I, as you know, I picked up a pencil and started drawing, and I, I feel like God has, um, given me something that I can use for the kingdom. And so I started about two months ago, my YouTube channel that we've talked about called the Graphite Apologist. And that is basically, uh, I was putting out 1 video a week and now we're upping the ante and we're going to start putting out 3 videos a week. So what that means is my drawing, um, it, it's, it requires a lot of work to put that level of content out. And then I'm, I just launched the merchandise to go along with the videos. So now we've got 5 t-shirts that are up and canvases and much more product line where I'm really trying to create cool Christian, um, Uh, thought wear, uh, but it's called ponder, so it's, you know, wearing clothes that have a meaning, uh, but I'm really trying to um get people to think about, to ponder, um, things, and I'm taking different angles, and so it's almost like a t-shirt that has a video along with it that you can watch and you can become informed on being an apologist and, uh, and, and so it's so exciting to have this, and I'm gonna be putting my attention and my time there, and yes, it will be nice because Uh, I've had 3 nights a week spoken for, and being a lead pastor of a church, we're getting ready to launch, um, a discipleship, uh, full on discipleship groups this fall, and between the graphite apologists and ponder these two entrepreneurial endeavors and then this discipleship, uh, having the evenings to do a lot of the ministry that's gonna come up it's gonna be really helpful. But from the bottom of my heart, just for the audience. Uh, you know, Brian, I have been a Christian for over 30 years and working with you, I mean, you are like my spiritual hero, uh, you're a friend, a dear friend, my boss, uh, a mentor. And the relationship that we've had, I just think it, it, it's kind of like the, the Jonathan and David thing to me, but more like, um, you know, you're definitely the David and I'm the, the, the peon, and I just thank you for even giving me a seat on the show with you has been really a blessing. Just, just, we've laughed, we laugh, we laughed a lot and, uh, and, and you've just been such, I mean, for if people don't know, I mean, heck, I mean, After my relapse, you just basically put your spiritual arms around me and God used you to um show me what it looks like to be a pastor. Uh, I wasn't even thinking about being a pastor and you had me preaching for you and then you said, I think you need to be in the pulpit. And then like you planted us out in Charlotte as a Calvary Chapel church, so the, the relationship to me I trust will always go on and I'm just so thankful.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, um, and it's mutual, and I'm, you know, I remember when originally we connected because you were, um, brought on staff at the Bible College and we didn't really know each other at the time, but I knew a little bit about you and Andy Dean, you know, was the one who connected with you and told me I wanna hire, you know, this Bobby Conway guy, what do you think? And I said, yeah, you know, I, I, I don't know him, but I think he's a good guy and all, all of that. So. And then from there, it's just amazing how the Lord developed our friendship and then, you know, you transitioning out of the school and coming up and joining me on the program here and And then of course there was a a season where you were sitting right next to me in this in this room and we were having all kinds of fun but then, you know, but then there was that sense, you know, you're you're a great preacher, you're a great Bible teacher and I thought, you know, there's no way that the Lord is done with that gift in this guy's life. It's just too, too obvious that, you know, he's gifted you to do that. And so then of course we started talking about the, um, you know, a new church and and what would that look like and and then going back to North Carolina where you had come from and you you'd kind of left there feeling I think a bit defeated and and then the Lord sends you back and um. You know, for a moment you thought maybe the devil sent you there to wreck your life, but I got myself quite deceived, right? I, I made sure that you understood that that was not the case. God actually did send you. And, uh, so yeah, I mean, it's just been a, a sheer delight and, um, I will miss, uh, this, you know, this connection that we have regularly throughout the week, but Um, I'm gonna, you know, I'm not gonna stop sending you funny dancing videos and crazy stuff. And, um, and you know, obviously we're going to do ministry in the future together and I look forward to, you know, different ways the Lord will open, open those doors and, and I still am gonna follow through with my threat to come and visit you and hang out in, um, uh, North Carolina, which I've never even been to North Carolina, so I gotta, I gotta do that. So, but I, I want to publicly thank you from the bottom of my heart for You know, your commitment because you've, you've just been really solid with your commitment, you know, you've been here, um, you've just been here through thick and thin and, and I really appreciate that. And I know that there are going to be a lot of our listeners that are gonna be super bummed because, you know, you, they tune in to to listen to you. So, um, I'll do my best to, to keep up the standard. And do my best, Bobby impersonations and, uh, and then look forward to when things kind of the dust settles and then maybe, you know, you can jump back in on occasions and we can have some fun.
Speaker 2: You bet, yeah, and for people like if they, they can still listen, um, you know, like if they subscribe to the graphite apologist, I'm gonna be doing. I'm hoping to do one live video a week, uh, and where I'm gonna still be kind of like people can ask me questions on my YouTube channel. So I'm really planning to build a relationship with this new YouTube community, um, that can be helpful, um, and just people who believe in what we're doing, um. what God's doing in my life, uh, I, I, I want those kind of people that will, you know, jump aboard and be a part of what I'm doing. So that's exciting.
Speaker 1: So here, here's a question that I have. This is actually just, I'm not, I'm not sure. So Christianity still makes sense. Where where does that fit in all of this? Is that still kind of the, the base for the other stuff you're doing, or is it separate? Are you focusing on that still or what's going on with that?
Speaker 2: No, I'm actually, uh, I'm actually not doing anything there any longer. I think, uh, You know, my sermons, uh, Tim, uh, who's my executive pastor sends them over. I think that still plays on the radio in California. And so that's kind of what gets posted on Christina still makes sense. It's just my sermons, uh, but I'm not doing any more apologetic content like that. I'm, I'm totally shifting to, um, doing a. Apologetics through art now and then speaking at churches in conferences and stuff like that but that's kind of what I'm doing now and hopefully it'll it'll work because someday, you know, I'll be honest, it would ministry gets it, it would be really exciting if, uh, you know, down the road it would you know as you get older and for a new chapter if I was able to, you know. Be a faithful servant in the local church and, and, and, and lead and fill in and just support the leadership there and have and and and do art, you know, that's, that's something that gives me a lot of, a lot of joy. So that's kind of, uh,
Speaker 1: yeah, well, you're still, you know, you're still a youngster, so you, you got some time before you
Speaker 2: for sure that that
Speaker 1: old guy that's. That old guy that's just hanging out and guest speaking, um, and, and you know, with this, I think I'll just take a moment to mention too that you know, we talk about me being pastor emerituss now, and which means that, you know, I'm no longer on the, the staff of Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa. Um, I have come, come off of that and stepped stepped away from that role, and I'm still serving at the church a little bit in different capacities, you know, the, the, um, Back to basic live on Sunday night. And of course I did, it's my church, I attend church, I ministers, opportunities come, and so forth. And um but the but the ministry here, which I have been part of for a long, long time. Um, I'm gonna continue to, to focus here and then Cheryl and I are right on the verge of publicly announcing, uh, the, the launch of our new ministry together, which we are calling Echoes of Mercy, and Echoes of Mercy is actually a phrase that's from a Fanny Crosby hymn. Where she's speaking of, uh, you know, the song is blessed assurance, but she's talking about the echoes of mercy and the whispers of love. And, and we felt like that really describes, um, What, what our ministry is is about just sharing the love and the grace and the mercy of God. So, so through echoes of mercy we're gonna be, this will be where, you know, people can connect with us for speaking and we'll all of our podcast and Bible teaching and all of that stuff is gonna be available at the new site as it gets launched. Um, we're just doing a kind of a Um, a landing page initially, uh, next week. And then from that, we will build out our, um, back to basics and, um, gracious words and all of that. So. Yeah, so, you know, we, we've got, um, some of our own fresh new direction going to. So plus there's the Calgary Global Network.
Speaker 2: I mean, you
Speaker 1: know,
Speaker 2: you're just getting old and still he had
Speaker 1: to throw in another age,
Speaker 2: you retire, but you really don't retire.
Speaker 1: Bobby, when you were on vacation recently, I did a couple of age jokes on your behalf, but, uh, you know, I, I couldn't quite do it like you, so yeah, I won't be able to do that. Yeah, yes, and like you just said, Brian, uh, CGN, you know, covered Global Network, that's of course the, uh, sponsoring the conference that we're doing next week. Bobby, I wish you could come to that, but I know it's, um, obviously a little bit late for that, and, and my schedule is so crazy right now. Um, we're gonna be at the conference only for half of it because my 2nd oldest grandson is graduating from high school in New York and We can't miss that because you know we love that boy and um he he really wants, he really wants his grandparents to be there which I think, you know, if an 18 year old wants you to be there, you just need to be there. So, so anyway, things are kind of crazy right now but uh it's all good. Yes, indeed. Wow. What an episode of Pastor's perspective. So Bobby's still gonna be here with us for a couple of weeks. He won't be here next week because he already planned, uh, some vacation time. But, uh, so the following week will be Bobby's last week with us here on Pastor's perspective, but yeah, you'll still be able to hear him here on Kwave on Saturday evenings at 6. 30. Also Sunday afternoons at 3, so that's gonna continue and then people can keep up with Bobby on his church's website, imagechurch.live. You can follow him on all the social media platforms including YouTube. You can find the Graphite Apologist, that's the main channel where he's going to be uploading videos and things and, uh, yeah, so what about Like donations and stuff, Bobby, I mean, would you welcome those from our audience so that you can continue with your ministry endeavors?
Speaker 2: Oh, heck yeah, like I, you know, I don't like to, you know, talk, uh, I, I've never been good on talking about that, but, you know, we're definitely trying to raise support for the ministry. And so if people did want to help, um, they, you know, we would certainly welcome that. They can go to Christianity. It's actually Christianity still makes sense uh.com and, um, or it might be, it might even be on the graphite apologist, but anyway, they can just reach out to me. And, uh, at the contact if they're interested in being a monthly supporter or or investing in the ministry, that would be wonderful.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Yeah, I see also a give link on the church's website. Images church not live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that would be, um, you know, for, for the church. I'd say this would be, it'd be better for this ministry for it to go in this new route. But
Speaker 1: yeah, Christianity still makes sense.com. One more question for you, not to put you on the spot because it's kind of a last minute thing and we're running out of time. And you're still going to be with us for 2 more weeks, but what are some of the favorite questions you've received in the last, and how long has it been since 7 years now? Has it been 7 years? What has it been, Bobby? 6,
Speaker 2: 7 years's almost 7 years, 6, 6.5 years something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's amazing. I cannot believe that it has been that long. It's like,
Speaker 2: I know it's
Speaker 1: flies, man. I know we, we love whenever the, the kids call in
Speaker 2: some of those
Speaker 1: questions are.
Speaker 2: I do love when I, I just love when kids call for sure. Um, my favorite topics tend to be ones that, um, speak directly into people's life. I do love like talking about the cultural issues. I love helping people to, I think Brian and I both come alive when it's a question that's gonna be, how do we think about this Christianly in our current context. Uh, those tend to be the funnest conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. That's for sure. All right, you guys, we are out of time on today's episode of Pastor's Perspective, which will soon be archived on Facebook, YouTube, Apple Podcasts, and Spotify and, uh, then we'll be back tomorrow to answer the questions you have about the Bible, the Christian faith, and Phil Metzger will be joining us tomorrow if all goes according to plan. So God bless you all. Thanks for listening. Thanks for watching Pastor's Perspective.