S1: This episode is sponsored by Action. Steel highlights that while planning is crucial in farming, so too is flexibility. But using integrated pest management in Broad Acre farming isn't black and white all or nothing? Take a listen and decide for yourself whether you might begin to introduce IPM at your place.
S2: That price gap is a hurdle for a lot of farmers. I feel that I've probably got other farmers that would, but the majority of them would not be keen to spend that amount of money compared to what they could be doing with Trojan. Most farmers will want to see a economical return from that long term. And because we need that from every aspect of farming. Farming is a it's a money making venture. We're not doing it as a hobby, probably, as Paul suggested, I think probably just picking a paddock at a time is probably a good strategy. I've probably run into more issues where people want to go all IPM instantly. That's presented issues just getting around the farm, monitoring and making sure we don't get any chronic outbreaks. You'll see the value, I suppose, from using products like van der core. You should only have to do one of them. Where in a long spring where heliothis or etiella come in early, you may be doing two Trojans. So it's worked well actually. So.
S1: Hello and welcome back to Shared Solutions by BCG. I'm Janine Batters in the third episode of our series planning for prosperity. I'm going to be speaking with lots of people about integrated pest management entomologist doctor Paul Horn, Wimmera agronomist Tim Corona and Bcg's Casey SIM. I thought I might introduce you. Paul has a wealth of experience in IPM. He has worked in IPM in a range of crops in different places including Yemen, Thailand, Spain, Denmark, the list goes on. He has written books. He's done it all. Tim is a Willmar agronomist. He has been working with farmers across the region for over 14 years. He is highly respected and also has investigated at IPM and work with farmers wanting to implement IPM. Also Bcg's Casey SIM, who is our resident insect specialist. So I'm really looking forward to having all your insights today on IPM. So for a start, I thought we might talk. What is IPM pole?
S3: IPM is is really a very simple thing to me. There's only three ways you can control pests in any crop and that's using pesticides. Of course that's one option biological control, which are the insects and mites that eat the pest insects and mites. That's the second one. And cultural controls things that are probably done for other reasons, like stubble retention or tillage. They're things that impact either the pests or the beneficials. So all IPM is, is trying to use as many of those options as you can in a compatible way. So obviously, if you're going to spray a pesticide, if there's a choice between things that will kill the pest and not kill Beneficials, then that's a better option than a spray that will kill the beneficials. And then you're reduced to relying on just pesticides. So IPM isn't a complex thing at all. It's really just trying to use a set of compatible control options. Okay.
S1: And how do you implement IPM in a broad acre sense?
S3: In Broad Acre, we probably separate the set of pests into establishment pests and those that fly in later. So the establishment pests are usually not always, but usually things that are resident. They live in the paddock all year round. So things like red legged earth mite, Lucerne, flea slugs, snails, they're all there. And so managing those resident pests in most cases involves looking after resident beneficials. The first thing to do is to try and get the habitat right for beneficial species. That can be quite straightforward. It can be just stubble retention. Minimum tillage has favoured beneficials greatly. It can also favour some pests. And so that's where the other options come in. And so the choice of which pesticides you use and how you use it is going to allow you to control the pests and still keep the beneficials. But if you choose the wrong one, then you might control the pests, but then you lose the beneficials and therefore you've got ongoing problems.
S1: Okay, so what I'm hearing is it's not an organic approach where you just say, I'm not going to spray anything. It's using a combination of biological and chemical.
S3: Both conventional and organic farmers have the same set of pests. Both have the same set of beneficials. Both have the same set of cultural options in which they can manipulate, Pest and beneficial populations. The difference is organic farmers don't have synthetic chemicals, so that means they're more usually more likely to apply some of the cultural controls that take a bit more effort than simply putting on an insecticide. Organic IPM isn't organic, but organic farmers can use IPM, so conventional farmers have an easier option with IPM because they have a greater selection of pesticides to choose from. Some are disruptive to beneficials, others are not disruptive. And also the formulation, if it's a seed dressing or a bait that's even with the same active ingredient, that might be broad spectrum. You can formulate the sides so that they impact the pests but don't disrupt beneficials.
S1: Okay, so it sounds really good in theory. Paul, how do I implement IPM PM.
S4: On my.
S1: Farm. So we grow legumes, wheat, barley, canola, vetch. Where do I start? What do I do?
S3: I mentioned we divide the set of pests into two. So the first thing is to work out what set of pests you have to deal with. So there's the establishment pests, and there's those that fly in later like aphids and heliothis, things like that. So the resident beneficial species that you want are going to take time to build up. But the beneficial species that eat aphids and heliothis, things like that, they come in every year no matter what. So if you've got a rotation that involves things like canola, are much more vulnerable to establishment pests than things like cereals. So the usual suggestion is people pick a paddock, start with the cereals because they're not going to be so sensitive to the pest damage at the establishment. You see dressings to get the crop through, use baits instead of bare earth sprays. Basically, look at what options there are in terms of pesticides, for the aphids and for the caterpillars that are not going to disrupt the biological control agents that will be in the paddock, and you want to keep them for controlling loose end flea and red legged earth mite. I would pick a paddock, start with the cereals, and usually it takes 2 to 3 years before a population in that paddock will build up to have a really significant impact on things like red legged earth mite and Lucerne flea. It's about looking at what pests you've got, how do you control them, what are the choices? And steer away from the broad spectrum insecticides?
S1: If I'm only doing one paddock, one, I'm worried that all the pests from the next paddock are going to come in. And I'm also worried about the pests in my neighbour's paddock. So it's just one paddock. Aren't they all just going to come in from every side?
S3: So the establishment pests, things like red legged earth mite, they will move in from an edge, but they're not going to move vast distances. So there's an edge effect and you can use border treatments if that is a concern. And the things like aphids and heliothis and other caterpillars, they fly in from hundreds of kilometres away anyway, so it's actually not a problem. You can do it on a paddock. And all I'm suggesting that for is you don't have to switch the farm over to something that might seem very different and a potentially quite scary you can do it paddock by paddock, and after you've done a few paddocks, then all of a sudden you've got more paddocks full of beneficials than those that don't.
S1: Okay, so I'm going to cross to Tim now because I did have another question, but I thought I think Tim might have some good insight into this. So Tim was involved with you, worked with you and Tim on a paddock that BCG was involved with a couple of years ago, implementing and working through an IPM strategy for Broad Acre. Tim, how did you go about implementing the strategy, starting with cereals, doing the seed treatments and the baits?
S2: Yeah, so in a way, you probably implemented everything that Paul just said, really. We've stopped using broad spectrum insecticides on those paddocks. We've been using them to cloak fruit as a seed, dressing in the cereals and in the pulse side of things. Probably our major problems being slugs through the last three years. This year they haven't been quite as bad, but they've still been present in lentils. But it has worked. We've got canola in there this year and we've got away with having any major damage. We did bait for slugs, but that's been the extent of insect damage.
S1: What year are you in of working on IPM in this paddock?
S2: I think we're the third, I'm pretty sure.
S1: Okay. And so you started off with cereals? Yep. And then you moved on to legumes.
S2: And then.
S1: Canola. How did you go with the canola team? Yeah.
S2: It hasn't been too bad, really. We have bad at slugs, but that's it. And batted only once, which is good.
S1: Okay. And what are some of the things, Tim, that have been difficult about implementing IPM on this paddock?
S2: I don't think there's one paddocks been too bad, probably, as Paul suggested. I think probably just picking a paddock at a time is probably a good strategy. I've probably run into more issues where people want to go all IPM instantly. That's presented issues just getting around the farm, monitoring and making sure we don't get any chronic outbreaks of damage from any sort of insect that's popped up. It's worked well, actually. So we've started spraying. Probably the main prophylactic insecticide we've been using has been an SP controlling caterpillars in our legumes. So we have. Tim's shifted to Manticore, which is a caterpillar specific insecticide. And yeah, he has moved to do that over his entire farm now, which is great. I think we'll see. Tim will try and expand that process into more of his paddocks rather than just the one.
S1: And you've seen that to work.
S2: It has. Yeah. As I said, we've we've lost crop but it's more been from slugs. And what he's experienced hasn't been any different to anyone else in the region. The slugs have really come out of left field and caused a lot of damage that we wouldn't have expected five years ago.
S1: Okay, talking about slugs, that might be a nice little segue. So Bcg's Casey SIM, she's doing a project on slugs at the moment. Casey, are you able to tell our listeners or let our listeners know, what are you seeing in terms of slugs at the moment? Because they have just been I know on our farm they've just been an absolute headache. Yeah.
S5: So we're monitoring the slug populations in six different paddocks around Horsham, including Tim's IPM paddock that they mentioned before. It sounds like relative to previous years, slug numbers are a lot lower this year, probably due to the drier conditions.
S6: So earlier in the year.
S5: We were seeing a lot more striped slugs around the area. And these slugs aren't really known to cause much damage to crops or canola compared to the black yield or the brown field slugs. In terms of the black yield slugs, we did see a few of them pop up around April and May, sort of after that autumn break. So that's sort of when the soil moisture is sufficient for them to come up to the surface and breed. So we would expect to see them around that time of the year. And we've also seen a few brown field slugs around, and they typically don't do as much damage as the black field slugs. But we have seen a few of those in April, and now we're starting to see their populations increase now in October.
S1: Okay. Thanks, Casey. Would that be consistent, Tim, with what you've seen in the paddock?
S2: Yeah, numbers were definitely down, but there was still a fair bit of damage that sort of happened in July. Paddocks that were preventively baited at sowing. We must have got the first generation of slugs because they were a lot easier to manage. We had a lot more issues with lentils and canola in general. We didn't bait them up front and we had to come back and bait them multiple times afterwards. Some paddocks got up to three baits. Yeah, they've been a real challenge to be quite honest, so it doesn't seem to be any great sort of strategy to get on top of them. Apart from bait, definitely. Removing stubble and cultivation helped, but given we're farming in a low to medium rainfall zone, that's not something that many farmers really want to do. And it showed out with this dry period we've had at the moment that long term, no till stubble retention strategies definitely been the way to grow crop on minimal moisture.
S1: Definitely have seen that this year, haven't we, Tim? I think, as Paul said, with baiting, that can be part of an IPM strategy. Paul, do you have anything to add in terms of slugs? I just know that there's been so much pain around slugs and it's so expensive to bait for slugs, particularly when you're baiting 3 or 4 times.
S3: Controlling slugs that all the slugs that we have in Australia that are pests in agriculture come from overseas. So they've escaped their specialist natural enemies. So there's things like beetles, which are the big black predatory beetles. They'll eat them. But if the slug population is high, then there's no way that they'll give significant control. If it's a low population, they'll contribute to control. But a lot of the times it's much better to use a high rate of bait early rather than bait three times with low rates. You know, if I had $10 to spend, I would probably spend 5 or $6 on a first bait and then the rest on a second really close together, probably two weeks apart, right around planting. I'd use as much as was possible then, Because the slugs spend the summer. The ones that survive the summer are mostly adults, and if you can kill those adults before they then start breeding, you'll have less of a problem to deal with later on. And the other important thing to remember is that slugs are hermaphrodites, which means that they're both male and female. So it's not just half the population that's going to give birth to offspring. The entire population will lay eggs at some point. And the other thing to remember is they're continuous breeders. So if there's moisture, they'll keep going. If the theoretical number of eggs lay is a thousand per individual, two generations means a thousand times a thousand, that's a million. So you can go from 1 to 1 million over the course of a summer. So when people say to us, oh, these paddocks, you know, we didn't have slugs here last year, where do they come from? That's where they come from. They just breed prolifically whenever there's moisture.
S1: Okay, so back to IPM, back to how a farmer would implement it on their farm. Tim, I wanted to ask you about the price. So you said Tim is putting van der core across all his legumes. Now, what is the price difference? Because I feel like that can be the point where farmers go, yes or no?
S2: Yes. So Tim is putting van der Kuil over all of his pulses, lentils and faba beans rather than putting on Trojan, which most of the area or most. That's the most common insecticide used for caterpillars in the Wimmera and van der core I've got here is 30, say $35 a hectare. Trojans. The higher rates about $5 a hectare. So it is a big investment to go to van der core. Caterpillars in pulses I feel, just have to be controlled. I'm not comfortable leaving him there and not doing anything about it. Van der core is good. I'm very happy with that strategy. Just leaving it and hoping that none come with monitoring. I feel it's very risky because as soon as we start getting grub damage in our pulses, they turn it from a high value food product back to feed. So it could be the difference between some years. It could be $500 a ton. We just can't be ignoring that threat in my opinion. Tim realizes that and that's why he's gone to van. Decker is hoping that using van der Corps rather than Trojan, that we will be able to help breed up the Carabid beetle. That's his big hope, and I hope it does for him as well. His biggest pest is slugs, so we're trying to do whatever we can to mitigate that issue. Long term, I think this dry season will probably help quite a bit. But yeah, whatever else we can do will be doing that as well. That price gap is a hurdle for a lot of farmers. I feel that I've probably got other farmers that would, but the majority of them would not be keen to spend that amount of money compared to what they could be doing with Trojan. Most farmers will want to see a economical return from that long term. And because we need that from every aspect of farming. Farming is a it's a money making venture. We're not doing it as a hobby, just a huge price difference really. Yeah. Over 500,000 hectares of pulses, which probably a lot of my clients run. It does turn into a fair cost.
S1: Compliant chemical storage sheds are important infrastructure for cropping enterprises, from a safety point of view and for a sustainability certification. BCG gold sponsors action the Big Shed people have developed a range of standard chemical shed designs to help you meet these requirements. The designs include details such as lock up storage areas, bonded concrete floors, ventilation and sprayer bays. Head to action steel. Com.au to learn more about the designs, sizes and prices. Oh, do you have any thoughts on that? Because I feel like you would come up against this every day of the week.
S3: It's one of the most common things we hear from broadacre farmers that other selective chemicals are priced for horticulture and not for broadacre. But there's a couple of reasons that people should consider using a selective product, even if it is more expensive. And one of them, Tim's, just explained you can foster the populations of beneficial species, but the other side is if you've got a pest that is resistant to those cheap chemicals, then it's not going to work. All it's going to do is disrupt control of other things with the, you know, the changing climate. I'm hearing reports from Broadacre agronomists in South Australia and western Victoria saying we've sprayed an SP three times and the caterpillars are still there. And that's because we used to only get Heliothis punctigera in broad Acre. But now Armigera, which is resistant to those SPS, it's coming in earlier in different years. That's a problem. And also like what's the cost of pest control overall? Like if you're using broad spectrum insecticides that are killing a whole range of beneficials, there's a sequence of pests that we see develop. And so it starts off with things like red legged earth mite. And if you kill those with a broad spectrum, that's good, but you kill the things that eat Lucerne flea. So then you get Lucerne three problems. So then if you up the rate because they're tougher to kill, then you kill the things that eat, pray and balaustium mite. And so there's a sequence of pest problems which are getting progressively harder to deal with. So while those cheap products are around and they work, make sense for people to do that. But if they don't work and you're inducing problems, what's the pest control cost over a 5 or 10 year period? You know where you're going in all the time, harder and harder because these pests are being caused in a lot of cases by the selection of products. The final reason might be those cheap products. Even if they do work and they're certainly available, they're legal to use. But if you want to export and the country you're exporting to doesn't want that on the spray list, then you're going to lose the market.
S1: That makes sense. Paul. Tim, do you have anything to add to that?
S2: I agree with everything Paul said. I think we'll probably be forced into more and more IPM strategy. We are actually losing some of the core prophylactic insecticides like chlorpyrifos, so we've only got a few years left to use that now, so it will make us think and try and work out new strategies. Okay.
S1: And in terms of this paddock that you're working with Tim and other paddocks that you've worked with, are you seeing population of beneficials increase like the Carabid beetle?
S2: It's hard for me to say at the moment. I think we're at three years in. Yes. But yeah, I can't definitively say yes to that.
S1: How often do you monitor?
S2: Depends what I'm monitoring for. Like I'm through the paddock a lot, but probably not digging around in the soil looking for carabid beetle. The paddocks got through historically growing canola and Horsham. We'd put a litre of chlorpyrifos down and that was to control those false wireworm. But but also some of those other establishment pests like millipedes and slaters and red legged earth mite and loose and flea like. We haven't seen that the canola had a seed treatment. The strategy is working, and I'm pretty sure Tim will adopt it in more paddocks in the future, which would be great.
S1: Okay, so in terms of this paddock and farmers that you have worked with, have you found that you've lost a lot of crop, a lot of profit in the first couple of years of implementing IPM? Because that that's what keeps coming back to me. I just feel like it's an awful feeling for farmers to be seeing all these insects on that will pass, I should say, on their crop and not controlling them.
S2: Definitely, yes. I wouldn't say that in the short term. I've had any clients just say, right, we're going to IPM this year. IPM has been around for a long time now. I don't think farmers are going into it thinking that they just stop using insecticide and magically all the beneficials will appear and it'll all be rosy. It may happen like that, but there's a good chance it won't. There needs to be a strategy around it, and I think the 3 to 4 year lead into growing canola is a great approach, the polls said. I've had a few people that have been in it long term, like not Tim, and two of them have actually worked with Paul in the past. One of them, um, he's sort of near stall and he does a phenomenal job with it. But I think this run of probably above average rainfall years other than this year has built up a huge amount of organic matter or just stubble double loading over the paddocks. And he's had some real issues the last couple of years, especially last year. He just felt he was chasing his tail the whole year. He was spraying a paddock, thinking it was fine and saying that he was getting canola eaten by a millipede somewhere, or slaters. Another not so much red legged earth mite or loose and flea. I haven't had huge challenges with them. It's more of those, um, I don't know what. What do you call that? Those sort of insects. Paul. The millipede sliders and earwigs.
S3: Millipedes and slaters are not insects. Earwigs are insects. So, yeah, they're all invertebrate pests. But slaters is a tricky one. I'm not totally convinced that they do all the damage that they're blamed for all the time. Sometimes I think it's where there is a lot of stubble, and it's easy to find Slaters. Much harder to find things like slugs, tiny little slugs. But probably one slug would do an awful lot more damage than 100 slaters. They're all pests that you have to deal with and it's really important. I think what you said just before that IPM isn't just doing nothing. IPM involves the three control options and there is nothing else. All the control has to come out of one of those three tools. And the advice that I give to people, if it doesn't work, then that's of no value to anyone. If there's pests there, you have to control them. It's just how you choose to use it, which products you choose, whether it's cultural or whether it's a pesticide. Uh, there's no advantage to anyone in watching insects and other pests destroy their crop. All IPM is, is trying to use things in the best possible way so they work together.
S2: I fully agree with you that sliders and millipedes are getting blamed for slugs all over the place. Really? But this guy did get out at 1:00 in the morning two nights in a row, and found them absolutely covering his canola, canal, which he hadn't seen before. He does have slugs as well, but that monitoring aspect of IPM is something that growers, I feel really need to get their heads around. A lot of these pests are nocturnal, so you do need to get out. Unfortunately with a torch at midnight to see what's going on. It's a commitment by the grower as much as by their agronomist or advisor to do it properly. If you're not going to commit to it and do it properly, I think you are going to end up with some real potential damage and economical loss.
S1: Both of you are saying that planning is really important, and to not just sort of go and put your hands up in the air and say, I'm not touching it.
S3: Yeah, if there's a pest and the crop's getting damaged, you've got to try your best to control it. I'm suggesting that where there's a softer option that's worth doing in the long run, if there's no soft option whatsoever, then the only choice is to use a broad spectrum insecticide. But usually that doesn't happen if you're planning ahead. So the planning ahead can include things like your rotation, which means planning years ahead, not just when the crops in the ground. When people ring me up and say, I've got my canola, it's being eaten by such and such a pest, what do I do? Usually the answer is spray it. If you talk to me a few months ago or last year, we could have worked out a strategy. The closer you get to the damage being done, the fewer options you've got.
S2: What sort of damage to the long term viability of IPM? There's one application of dimethyl eight have. I feel that the growers at the moment that are invested, they're emotionally invested in the ideology around it, you know, they really get worried that one application of Le Mat or dimethyl eight or chlorpyrifos is going to absolutely crash their system and they're back to square one. But does that actually happen? Or can you know, if their clover's getting annihilated by Redlegs. Can we put 80ml dimethyl eight on it? And we haven't absolutely destroyed the last three years of IPM work.
S3: It can be really disruptive to things like carabid beetles, if that's what you want, because there's only one generation a year for most of those species. If you knock out a whole generation, you've lost them. Probably they won't build up again for several years. But the things like beneficial species that eat aphids and caterpillars, they're going to come in whatever has been the history of that paddock. So it's not going to matter at all. But it's disruptive, but it's not the end of the the world. If it has to be done, then as long as growers know this is not a good thing, it's it's not ideal. But I'm going to do it to save this year's crop. But after that, I'm going to try and approach it in a different way. If it's clover, if it's for grazing, even grazing management has a huge impact on pests and beneficials. The strategy isn't just spray or not spray, it's putting the whole lot together. And the cultural controls are often really underestimated how much they actually can do. But the short answer to your question is Lima is going to have or other broad spectrum is going to have a big impact on some beneficials, but not all of them.
S2: Is there any soft options for mites?
S3: Not for redlegs in horticulture. The things like two spotted mite. There's a whole range of miticides that are selective. They will kill the pest mites and not the beneficial mites. As far as I'm aware, all the testing that's been done, none of those selective ones are effective on red legged earth mite. So the seed dressing, as you've mentioned, that's the safest option because it can control the mites without disrupting the predatory species.
S1: So going back to what you were saying before you piqued my interest, Paul, when you said livestock, are they good or bad for Beneficials?
S3: They can be either, depending on how they're managed. If you think of a paddock that's really grazed hard and almost down to the bare earth, there's no habitat left for beneficial species. So they don't just need food, they need shelter and a habitat to live in. So grazing management is a really important part to keep that population of predators there. On the other hand, if you had a paddock that's full of slugs and you wanted to get rid of them quickly, intensive grazing is going to absolutely get them better than any baiting will because it removes the food, it removes the shelter, and they get trampled. Yeah. Are they good or bad? It's it's how they're managed.
S1: That is good to know. I was just thinking about that and going back to him to what you were talking about with monitoring.
S7: How?
S1: What would you suggest farmers do to monitor? Because I can tell you right now, farmers are not going to be going out every night. They're probably busy doing something else at 1:00 in the morning. They don't have time to be checking with their torches every night at 12:00. What do they do?
S3: So once again, I'll go back to the two sorts of pests the pests and beneficials. There's the resident ones, and there's the transient ones that move in and out. So the resident ones, once you know that you've got a population of predators, that is really good. You don't need to keep monitoring for them. You can trust that they will be there. But the pests that fly in things like aphids or heliothis or etiella, if it's in other crops, you can monitor for those with traps, and it doesn't mean that you have to go out all the time. It just those traps will tell you when there's a flight happening, and it'll only be at very short periods of time through the life of the crop, But usually when we've worked with farmers and agronomists to make the change from conventional spraying to using IPM, the monitoring is really important at first just to show people this is what we're talking about. But once the confidence is there that there are things beneficial predators, parasites, they are there. We know they're there. We know what to do to encourage them. And then seeing that the control happen, it's not actually necessary to monitor for all those things all the time. It's more important to monitor for movement or flights in of the pests that you're worried about.
S1: Okay, Tim, how do you feel about that?
S2: No, I agree, I think the the slug issue that we never used to deal with, that's really throwing a spanner in the works of establishment in the Wimmera. That's not just for IPM people, that's everyone. It's just I think it's been a symptom of the better seasons we've had, and I'm sure the continuous crop are no till. Full stubble retention systems just been a fantastic habitat for a lot of problematic species, particularly slugs, but also snails. If we go into a few dry years, I think the issue will dissipate. But there has to be a commitment from the grower that you're going to do some sort of monitoring. You can't just totally remove yourself from that. It's your crop, it's not anyone else's, and you're going to take the economic loss to if something happens astronomically. So I don't think like when I say you got to monitor, it's just drive over your paddock and if something doesn't look right, ring your agronomist. It's um, yeah. You don't have to identify everything straight away, but if everything looks fine, I'm sure it is fine. But when something doesn't look fine, it probably needs more investigation.
S1: And you're saying that across the board. You're not saying that just in terms of RPM.
S2: Oh heck no. That's some disease. Weeds. Everything. We've had a big increase in disease too. With the wetter years as well.
S3: As far as monitoring for those establishment pests, we usually just use something like tiles down on the ground. They're just artificial rocks and things like earwigs. Slugs will retreat under those. And so you'd want to pick a high risk area in the paddock. And if everything's all right there, then it's probably all right over a much bigger area. If things are not good there. Maybe have a look in a few different points. We would say monitor at key times. You don't need to monitor all the time. You don't want it to be so onerous that it just doesn't get done at all. But at establishment, as the crop's coming through, you look for establishment pests. Once it's up, you don't need to do that anymore. Then you need to monitor for aphids, and then you need to monitor for caterpillars and flights of moths. So it's just monitoring at short intervals.
S5: Yeah. So how we've been monitoring floods this year is we've got these refuge mats that we've soaked in water to try and make a nice, moist environment for the slugs to seek refuge in. And with our monitoring, we do try to check earlier in the morning, within a few days of a rainfall event, just to make sure that we're checking sort of when the slugs are more likely to be active.
S1: Is there anything else that anyone would like to add that might help our listeners with determining whether they want to implement IPM or not?
S3: I'd suggest do it before there's a crisis. People often ring me when there's a crisis, so if you can make the change trial IPM before there's a crisis, whether that's resistant pests or the market demanding certain things, that's different makes sense to do it while you've got some options.
S2: I think just ease into it like we spoke about initially. Do a few paddocks, get your confidence up. You can work out how it's going to work. From that point. You'll see the value, I suppose, from using products like Manticore. There definitely is other benefits from, say, going back to Manticore. Like you should only have to do one of them where in a long spring where heliothis or etiella come in early, you may be doing two trojans or two synthetic pyrethroids, which still might be slightly cheaper, but you've got to go over your whole pulse place twice with your boom spray.
S1: If you love the podcast and would like to show your support, please rate us five stars. Wherever you listen to your podcasts and share it with your friends. We'll catch you again soon.
S5: BCG drives the prosperity of Australian farmers, communities and landscapes through applied research, innovation and events. To find out more about what we're up to, our team and events near you, visit BCG Gorgo. BCG acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to their elders, past and present.