S1: Hello, friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. We're going to be talking about your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. My name is Michael Ray Melnick, and I'm so glad to be with you today. We're sitting around the radio kitchen table taking your questions. So give me a call. The phone number is (877) 548-3675. If you can't call just go to our website open Line radio.org. There's a link there that says Ask Michael a question. When you click on that, you can post your question and Trish will put it in the mailbag. I hope you have your second cup of coffee. I hope so, uh, that you also have your your Bible open because we're going to talk about the scriptures together. And before I do that, I do want to tell you about our our current resource, which is a book called Teaching to Change Lives. It was written by master teacher Prof. My my former Prof. Uh, Howard Hendricks. In fact, that's if you're talking to a Dallas grad, all you have to do is say, you know, Prof once said, and they know who you're talking about. There were many professors at the seminary, but only one that we called Prof. Because he was the exemplar of a great teacher. He was the exemplar of a professor. And, uh, we we all loved him. And he's with the Lord now. But he wrote this book, Teaching to Change Lives, really? About how not the, the the details of technique, of teaching, but how we can affect people's lives by with our lives as teachers. It is a wonderful book, teaching to change lives, and we want to send it to you as a way of saying thank you for your gift. So if you give a gift of any size, we'll send you a copy of Teaching to Change Lives. And we so appreciate your generosity. There are many people who listen to Open Line and and we appreciate you just listening. But every now and then we get a resource like this. And if you've never given a gift, this is a great time to do it. Uh, to be a first time giver because this is such a great book. Uh, my wife Eva used to teach a course called Teaching the Bible Practicum, and she always used teaching to Change lives as one of her textbooks. Even though it's really easy to read. It's not a difficult book, but it was so life changing that, uh, she would use that for our students. It's a great book. And so, uh, it's a great time for a first time gift. The way to give your gift, uh, is by calling (888) 644-7122 or go to open line Radio. And remember, ask for teaching to change lives when you give. Thanks so much for doing that. Well, we're going to talk to Josie in Saint Petersburg, Florida, listening on welcome to Open Line, Josie. How can I help you today?
S2: Good afternoon, Doctor Rinaldi. I got a question. I was giving a Bible study in my church about, uh, the wedding when Jesus made the wine. The problem that it happened in the class, that somebody made a question about the wine, about the percentage. Because we're talking about the Jewish tradition that the wedding would take seven days of celebration. So half of the class agrees on drinking alcohol, and the other half doesn't doesn't agree about drinking alcohol. So I'm a little bit I need to get information because I was explaining that the percentage of alcohol of that time, the wine is not like fermentation at this time. So that's why I'm calling you. If you could give me pointers where I could get more information, or if I could buy a book to correct.
S1: Yeah. If I. If I were you, I'd go to the library. And your library should have a copy of Encyclopaedia Judaica. Uh, you can also get a copy online or access a copy of Encyclopaedia Judaica online. I'd look up wine. That's what I would do. Now, what we know about wine in the, for example, Second Maccabees talks about everyday wine was watered down, diluted, uh, three, 3 to 1, uh uh, three parts water to one part wine. Uh, it still had alcoholic content, but it was watered down. Uh, also, uh, the the wine, uh, the Talmud, uh, the rabbinic writings talks about everyday wine being watered down. However, one of the things you'll find as you study wine that at festivals, on Shabbat, Sabbath and at celebrations like a wedding celebration, the wine was not watered. So, for example, the wedding at Cana. Think about how the people responded when Jesus turned the water into wine. They said, oh wow. Usually you bring out the name brand first, and then later on when people can't tell the difference, you bring out the generic cheap brand. However.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Uh, when, uh, when the. Now they've, you know, we've gone through the cheap stuff and now we've got the name brand stuff because this is really good. Uh, the implication there is that the wine affected the people at the wedding to such an extent that they could no longer tell the difference. Why? Because they were getting a little tipsy. So the the point is at weddings, celebrations, at, uh, festivals, celebrations at Shabbat, the wine was not watered down. Okay.
S2: Okay. But in the Cyclopaedia will show like maybe the percentage. Because I know when I.
S1: I just told you the percentage, the percentage for everyday wine was 3 to 1.
S2: 3 to 1. Okay. And for the festival, the percentage could be, uh.
S1: Was not watered down at all. It was just wine.
S2: Yeah. Okay.
S1: Okay.
S3: Got it. Okay. Okay. Uh, Judea. Encyclopedia.
S1: Encyclopedia Judaica. Read what it says about wine.
S3: Okay. Thank you.
S1: Okay. Sure. Thanks so much for your call. Appreciate it. We're going to talk to Theresa. And, boy, I don't know if I can say it. Kahuta Okuda, Georgia, listening on Wmw. Uh, hey, Teresa, how do you say the name of the town you're in?
S3: Tahara.
S1: Kajana. Okay. Okay.
S4: Yes. It's an Indian name.
S1: Okay. Well, I am so glad you called. How can I help you today?
S4: Okay, well, I'll look forward to sitting at Jesus feet and hearing him when I go to heaven. And I think I'll get to hear you and Miss Eva, too. And I look forward to that. But even though I've forgiven some people, I know there's people there that I don't want to be around. What's going to be our reaction? Do we have to deal with them or what do you think?
S1: There's probably some people there that wouldn't want you around too, don't you think?
S4: That's right. And I apologize for that. I want to ask for forgiveness.
S1: I know there's a whole lot of people that are going to say, am I really going to spend eternity with that guy? I don't think so. But here's. I. I actually believe that, uh, first of all, there's two things I would say. The lesson of Jesus is if there are people here that we think we wouldn't like to spend eternity with, is what we should do is before we go to worship, before we leave our before, what we need to do is leave our gift at the altar as Jesus teaches and and go see them and reconcile. Yes. Don't wait. Uh, do everything in our power to reconcile. Now, there. You know, I think that's interesting that Paul says to everything. That everything, as long as it's within you, be reconciled. Uh, be at peace with all people. But sometimes people just don't want it. We can't help it. Uh.
S4: Right.
S1: In that case, I'm going to say that after the Bema Seat, after the. When we're in eternity with the Lord, it'll be all over. Uh, you know, what? Maybe we'll learn to accept each other's that we were fallen and had made obviously made mistakes. Or maybe our blind side that, you know, we we may have had some blindness and thought someone was making a mistake when they weren't. Uh, we'll learn. We'll be transformed, we'll be glorified, and we won't have that sin nature that holds grudges any longer. And I think we'll be okay. Okay.
S4: Okay. Thank you so much.
S1: Yeah. Thank you. Teresa, thanks for the call. Really appreciate it. We're going to speak with al listening in Seattle, Washington online. Welcome to Open Line, al. How can I help you today?
S5: I got a question related to dispensationalism. At least the way I believe. God is not done dealing with the Jewish people or Israel. Yet the church is not replaced. That and there are some people who reject the dispensational belief, and they also reject the rapture of the church. Is this whole thing?
S1: Yeah, yeah. But what's your question, al?
S5: That's my question about that. Is that what's your understanding of that particular, um, area? Dispensationalism.
S1: Well, uh, Moody Bible Institute, where I've taught for 32 years, is a dispensational school. Uh, there are varieties of dispensationalism. I don't think that there's only one kind. There's, you know, it's on a spectrum. Uh, I'm kind of eclectic in my view, of dispensationalism, but I think that, uh, the main thing about dispensationalism, it is a method, a mode of biblical interpretation that reads the Bible progressively and is consistently, uh, takes things, uh, in a literal sense, in a consistent way. In a normal sense, I would say, uh, in a, in a consistent way, even when it comes to prophecy. So when it talks about Israel in the future, I think it's talking about Israel in the future, not the church. And I think that that's what's crucial when the Bible promises the regathering of the Jewish people to the land of Israel, when the Bible says that that's going to happen and it has happened before our eyes. We take that literally. When the Bible says that Jesus is going to reign in Jerusalem over Israel and the world for a thousand years, we take that literally. So it's not just a long time. And it's not just that's that's what really dispensationalism is. It's I'd like to change the name of it. I'd like to call it faithfulness theology. Uh, we trust God that he is going to be faithful to all his promises, not just the promises that he made to the church, but which are wonderful promises, but also his promises that he made to Israel that one day he would bring them, uh, the nation will believe in Jesus at the return of Jesus. Uh, and then all Israel will be saved. And not all Israel from all time, but all Israel that believe in him. And he'll fulfill all his promises to them. That's what I believe about it, al. Does that help?
S5: Yes, I believe the same thing. Is there a good book that deals with this subject outside of the Bible?
S1: Yeah. There's a. There's a starting book, a book that I would start everyone with on it by Michael Vlock. Uh, I think it's something like Essentials of Dispensationalism. Trish is going to look it up. It's a little booklet about, uh, 75 or 80 pages. Uh, that's a good one. Michael Vlock V as in Victor l H.H. uh, we're going to take a break here. And what, uh, Tricia is going to do over the break is she's going to find the name of that book. Uh, and when I come back, you keep listening, al, because I'll. I'll mention what the name of the book is. Uh, but and also, there's a great book. It's not specifically dispensationalism. It's. Has the church replaced Israel by block. So those are great books. I'll be back to talk about that in a moment. This is Michael Ray Dolnick on Open Line. And we're back. And I am drinking from my coffee mug with the. Everything about me is Moody Bible Institute. I'm sure you know that I've taught at Moody forever, but I'm also an adjunct professor at Dallas Theological Seminary, and I am drinking coffee this morning from my Dallas Seminary mug, which is kind of fun, because Dallas Seminary is the place where, uh, I think the main school that teaches dispensationalism, uh, and seminaries. And why do I say that? Because our last caller was asking about a book. About a basic book about dispensationalism. And of course, I recommended a book, but Trish had to look up the title. This is the title. It's called Dispensationalism Essential Beliefs and Common Myths, and it's a very simple, easy to read, almost a booklet. It's about 80 pages long. I like it very much. It's written by Michael Vlock. V as in Victor H.H. and Michael Vlock did a wonderful job on that book, and also he wrote a book called Has the Church Replaced Israel? It's a little bit goes more in depth. It's not really about dispensationalism so much as it's about this idea of replacement theology, which dispensationalism obviously disagrees with, and makes the case for a theology that doesn't replace Israel. And it's a really great book. Has the church replaced Israel? And Trish tells me she has linked it on our website. Am I right about that, Trish? Uh, it's on the web. Well, she's working on it right now. So those are two books that you can find, uh, uh, dispensationalism, essential beliefs and common myths. And then also, uh, the other book that I think is so helpful is Has the Church replaced Israel? In fact, when I read that book in 2010, it was the first time in my life I felt like, man, I wish I'd written that book, but okay, uh, I, I liked it so much, I, I found Michael Vlock and we became friends because of it. I liked it so, so much. Uh, we're going to talk to Daniel in Grand Rapids, Michigan, listening on w g b. Welcome to Open Line. Daniel. How can I help you today?
S6: Well, I was wondering, at 70 AD, the, uh, the temple was torn down. What happened to the Pharisees? And are there any Pharisees today we could call Pharisees.
S1: No, there are no Pharisees today, although I think we could. If we if there were Pharisees, we'd find them probably in local churches, uh, because of the issue sometimes of becoming, uh, not all Pharisees were hypocrites. Uh, we shouldn't think that. But they were sometimes, uh, but, uh, I think that sometimes when we look at the religious leadership in Israel in the first century and we see Pharisees, the the next thing that happens is that we want to blame all Jews and we don't look at ourselves. I think those of us who are in religious leadership need to take a look at ourselves before we start complaining about Jewish people, but let me tell you about the history of the Jewish people. Okay? Daniel, uh, before A.D. 70, uh, uh, Jewish people had a lot of different, uh, I don't want to say it's its factions, but there were varieties of Judaism. So, for example, there were Sadducean Judaism. Um, and there were parties like the Pharisees. So there were the Sadducees, who were the priests and the Levites mostly. And then there were the Sadducees, who there were about 5000 of them. And they were like the religious, the the experts on the law and kind of the, the party that led the, the leadership of the people. But it was only about 5000 who were actually Pharisees. And then there were other sectarian groups. Uh, like, uh, the Essenes, uh, or the Qumran community that went to the wilderness. And they thought that the religious leadership had become corrupt. So they were hiding out in the wilderness. Uh.
S3: Wow.
S1: Uh, in in 30, somewhere in the 30s you developed this group called the Nazarenes. These were Jews who believed in the Nazarene. Uh, the they believed in Jesus, the Messiah. They were the early Messianic Jews. Uh, and so you had that sect in Judaism in the first century. All these different sects. And then there was also a sect called the zealots. They were the, the party of the revolt against Rome. So there's all these varieties. Well what happened? The Sadducees were temple oriented because they were priests and they were pro Rome. They were supportive of Rome after the Roman destruction of the temple. They didn't have a temple, and they lost a lot of credibility because they had supported Rome. And so they kind of disappeared as a leader of Jewish people. Uh, then the, uh, What happened next was the, uh, uh, the Essenes had been hiding out. And the Qumran community, they had been hiding out in the wilderness and sectarian groups like that. Uh, they certainly, uh, didn't have any kind of, uh, credibility because they'd been hiding out. So they'd kind of disappeared from the scene. The Nazarenes had fled Jerusalem in AD 70 because of the prophecy of Jesus that when you see Jerusalem surrounded, you need to get out of town. And so they got out of town, uh, they went to a place up on the other side of the Jordan. Uh, and now who is left? You've got. And the zealots, they led Israel into a terrible war, and so they lost all credibility. The Pharisees had everything going for them because they had been opposed to the war, but they'd also have been opposed to Rome, so they had credibility that way. They were more focused on the Torah, on the law, than they were on the temple. So as a result, they still had the Torah, and that became a portable temple for them, something they could take with them. And because of that, the leader of the Pharisees, his name was Yohanan Ben Zakkai. Rabbi Yochanan went to a town on the coast of the Mediterranean called Yavneh, and there they reformed Judaism to be a religion without sacrifice, and out of that came not Pharisaic Judaism, but Rabbinic Judaism. So Rabbinic Judaism, that formed between the late first century and up until about the fifth century, that was, uh, they are the heirs of the Pharisees. Uh, okay. Is that does that help? Daniel?
S6: Wow. It fills me with a lot. But, um, with the wars you talk about, the Jews went against the. Is that the Jewish war is that they talk about in Antiquities of the Jews.
S1: Yeah. There's the first Jewish revolt in A.D. 70 or 66 through 73. And then there was a revolt between 132 through 35 against the Romans, uh, against the Roman emperor Hadrian, which also was a terrible destruction.
S6: So we learned a lot more than I was expecting. So I really appreciate that.
S1: Okay. Well, yeah, I kind of taught some Jewish history in my life so I can give you.
S3: Well, I can.
S6: Imagine, you.
S3: Know. So thank you for.
S6: Your answer there.
S1: Okay. Thanks for your call. Appreciate it. We're going to talk to, uh, Mary in California. Glad you're listening. All the way in California. I'm guessing you're listening online. Welcome to Open Line, Mary. How can I help you? Hey, Mary, are you there? Hello. Go ahead with your question.
S7: Hi, I'm Mary in Pennsylvania. Are you talking to me?
S1: Oh, yeah, it says California. But go ahead with your question wherever you are. Okay?
S3: Okay.
S7: So this, um, I'm particularly interested in first Corinthians six nine through 11 from a general response from you. I've gone through commentaries trying to understand it more, but specifically for a family member who was introduced, sadly, to pornography as a child. Uh, I've seen it affect their life, their thinking, and you probably know how I can just destroy you. Uh, they say they're saved. Uh, I do not see the behavior of, um, non-Christian.
S1: Let's not talk about, uh, your your this person. Let's just go ahead and ask me a question about this verse, okay?
S7: Mary, I want you to. Well, the reason I'm presenting the person is because it's my son and it affects me.
S1: I appreciate that, but just go ahead with a question.
S7: In general, in general goes through this verse for me and the many meanings of whether they go to heaven or not. And that's where I'm coming from.
S1: Okay. Let me read the verse for people who are listening. It says, don't be deceived. No sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers or anyone practicing homosexuality. No thieves, greedy, greedy people, drunkards, verbally abusive people or swindlers will inherit God's kingdom. So when we read these verses, it's pretty clear that there are some immoral practices, not just sexually immoral. I mean, being a swindler, being verbally abusive, being a drunkard, those are, uh, lifestyle choices that people are making, that are sinful, that keep them from believing in Jesus. And then he says in verse 11, and some of you used to be like this, but you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus the Messiah, and by the spirit of our God. What he is saying is you used to have these terrible lifestyle choices, but then you came to faith and you were forgiven. Now, does this mean that once a person, uh, comes to know the Lord, they'll never sin again in these ways? I don't think that's what it's saying. It's saying you're forgiven of these sins. Romans six tells us that should we sin, that grace might abound. Of course not. May it never be. Uh, God's going to work and transform our lives. But then there are people who are forgiven, who will lapse, who will fall. And as a result of that, we need to remember that they are still forgiven. Uh, and allow God to work in their lives to transform For them. They need to work in their lives as well, uh, by practicing spiritual disciplines. Uh, but here's the thing I'm going to say. If a person has put their trust in Jesus, even someone who has made these terrible lifestyle choices, then they are washed, sanctified, and justified, declared righteous not because of their own righteousness, but because of the righteousness of Jesus. And they are saved. What if they lapse? They are going to confess their sin. They're going to be restored. They're going to practice spiritual disciplines that God can use to help them to grow. But it doesn't mean that they won't ever sin in this area again. It what it means is they are forgiven. Uh, I'm not here to justify this behavior after someone becomes a believer. I don't think that's good. Uh, but reality tells me that people will fall, and God still forgives them. Does that help Mary?
S7: It does. And one more specific question. I totally agree with you. If they fall back for 25 or 30 years and don't turn around. How can you?
S1: Well, you don't know if they've fallen back for 25 or 30 years. What you find is that they are probably struggling for 25 or 30 years. We'll, uh, we'll be back in a moment with the mailbag, so don't go away. This is open line with Michael Ray Zelnick. Welcome back to Open Line. I am so, so happy. I got a text message of a picture last night, and it was a picture of the book of Romans, commentary from the Moody Bible Commentary, and a mug from Open Line. And it was from a friend of mine who I had met when she traveled to on the Journeys of Paul tour with me last year with Eva and I, and she and her husband had just become kitchen table partners, and they had received this mug and the Romans commentary written by Michael van Landingham from the Moody Bible Commentary. And she said, I'm so excited about being a kitchen table partner, and I'm excited to. This is a really, really dear friend and so grateful for their friendship, having met them just, just last year. But I'm they made the decision to go from occasional givers to open line, to become monthly givers by becoming kitchen table partners, and I'm so grateful for that. I'm so grateful for everyone that that has given a gift or even just listened to Open Line. But when people decide to become kitchen table partners, what they're doing is they're saying, you know, we really we want to take a stand, become part of the team and, uh, and give on a regular basis every month. And that means so much, uh, people, there are benefits, I think, that we try to give not only the resource that we give out, uh, as a thank you, but also, uh, people can go to our website if they are committed to $30 a month or more, they can get a anything from the Moody Publishers catalog, uh, significant discount. I think it's 40% off. Am I right about that, Tricia, or is it 50%, 50%? 50% off? Yeah, that's a great, great, uh, thing. And then also, uh, there's, uh, the benefit of every other month, every other week, we send out a Bible study moment, and, uh, that's a little Bible study, an audio Bible study designed exclusively for our kitchen table partners. So if you'd like to bring them a kitchen table partner, we sure would appreciate it. We're so grateful for all of you, but especially those of you who make that decision. If you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, just call (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org. And we thank you so much for that. And joining me right now with the Febc mailbag is Tricia McMillan. Uh, so grateful for Febc, uh, Far Eastern Broadcasting Company for their partnership with us. It's wonderful Ministry. Check them out by going to Febc and also check out their podcast until all have heard, you're going to love that one. Well, Tricia, uh, there's questions there, and I want we're we have a lot of questions piling up. We do. And so, uh, in a couple of weeks, we're going to have a full mailbag program, right? Yes. But let's see what we can dent it right now.
S8: Okay. All right. Okay. Um, our first question. We've got a couple questions from First Corinthians. So Lisa lives in Illinois.
S1: I got my Bible and it has First Corinthians in it.
S8: Fantastic. We're we're in good company. Then first Corinthians seven is where we're going. Lisa in Illinois listens to the podcast and says, in light of First Corinthians seven verse 14, which says, for the unbelieving husband is set apart for God by the wife. And the unbelieving wife is set apart for God by the husband. Otherwise your children would be corrupt, but now they are set apart for God. Lisa says, I'm born again, was baptized as a child, but lived apart from God in my 20s and married an unbeliever. After I had children, I started taking them to church and working with them. They're now teens and are also born again Christians, although not baptized yet. For my unbelieving husband, does this verse qualify him to spend eternity in heaven or would he be left behind?
S1: Well, let's really be clear. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life, and it's not enough for someone to be related by marriage or by parenting to believers. First Corinthians seven is making the case that a believer who is married to someone who is not a believer, that they should, as long as the non-believer, the person who has not yet trusted Jesus is willing to stay married. Stay married. Don't. Don't try and break up that relationship. That's what it's about. And I just want to be really clear. John 824 says this, uh, it says, uh. Um, let's see if I got the right verse. I've got the wrong book. John 824 says, unless you believe that I am he, you're still in your sins. Unless you believe that I am is literally what it says. Unless you believe in me. Jesus says, you're still in your sins. And why is that so crucial? Well, it's. This is what I'm reading it. Ready? If you do not believe that I am he, you will die in your sins. And the. The Greek actually says, unless you believe I am. You have to believe in all that Jesus says he is, that he is deity, that he died, died for us, that he rose again. We have to believe or we're still in our sins. That's individually for every person. So know first Corinthians seven is not saying, by virtue of being married to a believer, that the husband or the wife will be automatically saved. What it is saying is that it is more likely for that person to become a believer, as long as he stay. Remember, it's the idea stay married as long as that person who isn't a believer is willing to stay with you, because this sets up a much better situation, where that spouse would be much more likely to believe and come to faith in Jesus, and that's how they're set apart. They're in a good situation by staying in in that marriage relationship. And so if you're concerned about your husband coming to know the Lord, stay married to him, stay married to him and win him as first Peter three talks about that. And and when it says you're set apart, they're in a better a better setting. If if you stay married than if, if you end up divorcing.
S8: Okay. And even I think about the stories I've heard of the influence of the believing spouse on the unbelieving spouse. Like I think of Lee and Leslie Strobel.
S1: That's exactly what I thought.
S8: They've shared their story, um, of just seeing that person set apart. And we even have talked about it. Um, you know, with that, Romans 1111 for the the Jewish person watching the Gentile like Act toward them in such a way that they ask you, why are you living this way? Why are you different? That your spouse can see you living differently and ask those questions and see that in the the the? I'll say the worst, like you're not on display outwardly to everyone else, but you are on display to your spouse all the time. Well.
S1: You know, first Peter three where it talks about the wife winning her husband without a word. I think what it is is that saying, don't badger your spouse, uh, but love your spouse. And in that way you win him without a word. Now, obviously, it'll take words. You'll have to be able to talk about it, but you'll open his heart. He'll want what you have. And and that's why God says stay married. If the non-believer is willing to stay with you.
S8: And pray for them, pray for your spouse. Yeah.
S1: I have dear friends. Uh, really? I thought of Lee immediately because Lee Strobel, his wife's. Yeah, his wife's changed life. But I have a dear friend and his wife's changed life. Uh, also won him over. And there was actually, uh, at their church. They had a a Bible study they started called Beloved Unbeliever, and they invited the unbelieving spouses to come and try and figure out what your, your spouse is believing so that you can understand your spouse better. And that was a great thing. What a great idea. Yeah. You know, we're only inviting you if you don't believe so that you can understand what this thing your spouse has fallen into. Yeah. And and I have a friend who came to the Lord through that. Isn't that something?
S8: Wow, that's really cool. Yeah. Well, we got one more question. Uh, from First Corinthians. This goes to chapter 11. Rachel in in Illinois listens to WBA and wants to know about women covering their heads and the cultural context of that in first Corinthians 11, as far as how it was practiced in the early church. she said. The church that she attends now practices this in public worship, and the chapter is confusing to me, but it's clear God would be glorified in this. What are your thoughts on if this chapter is referring to women having their heads covered in public worship only, or any time they pray?
S1: Here's how I understand first Corinthians 11. The principle that Paul was teaching is that the attitude of deference that women were supposed to give to their leadership, to their husbands, and it was one of the in the the cultural way that they showed that was by being veiled in public. So the veiling in public was an outward sign of a submissive heart. Now, today, if a woman veiled herself completely in church, no one would say, oh, yeah, she's she's deferring to the leadership. The veil was a external cultural expression of an internal heart attitude. As a result, I don't think women need to veil themselves in church anymore. But for example, I remember saying how a woman dresses in church if if she's going to dress in a modest way, in a way that's reflective of that internal commitment to God. That submissive, deferential heart. Uh, well, that's how they should express it. It doesn't have to be with a veil. It has to be with some sort of. And I think women can be very stylish, um, but still dress in a way that reflects modesty. And I would say that's what that's talking about in first Corinthians 11. Okay.
S8: Okay. All right. Thank you.
S1: Well, we're going to break here. Thanks so much for those questions. Thanks for sending them in. All you have to do Is. Go to our website openlibrary.org. You'll see a link that says Ask Michael a question. And you can click on that. Post your question. Trish will put it in the mailbag and she's great at that. She knows which ones she wants to ask. And so your question will come up either right away or in the mailbag program coming up. This is Michael Radnich. That was Trish McMillan. I'll be right back with more of your questions. Welcome back to Open Line I'm Michael Ray. And you know, some of you may have heard that I have stepped away from education. I'm no longer the dean. I'm now professor emeritus of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. But I still care deeply for Moody Bible Institute. I think it's a great place to get an education. And I was just talking to our vice president and dean of enrollment at Moody Bible Institute, Doctor William Washington. My good friend and Doc Walsh said that Moody is still accepting applications for the fall. And I know a lot of young people are saying, I'm not sure I want to go where I thought I was going to go. I'm not sure I want to go to junior college. I believe the best foundation we can get for living is an undergraduate education at Moody Bible Institute, and it doesn't matter what your career is going to be, that foundation you can get at Moody Bible Institute is outstanding. And so if if you have a child or a grandchild or someone you know that would like to consider going to Moody Bible Institute, I mean, there's lots of ways you can go to Moody. You can do online education, you can do graduate education with the seminary, but especially now, as if there's a young person that, you know, if you're a young person listening and you would like to get that great foundation for life. Then check out Moody's and think about coming and joining that wonderful group of students that are coming in August at Moody Bible Institute to get the best education in the scriptures and theology and practical ministry, uh, that you can possibly get. I think it is a great idea. So check out Moody's. And also many of you want to know about sharing your faith with your Jewish friends. Best way to do that is by telling them about Isaiah 53, which is the crucial messianic passage. Chosen People Ministries, our partner ministry that helps bring open Line to you. They are offering Open Line listeners a free book called Isaiah 53 explained, and as you read that book, you'll be better prepared to tell your Jewish friend about the Messiah from Isaiah 53. Or you can pass the booklet on to them just and it's a helpful book that they can read and learn about the Messiah in Isaiah 53. If you'd like to get a free copy of Isaiah 53, explain, just go to our website openline radio.org. Scroll down until you see the link that says A Free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that. It'll take you to a page where you can sign up for your own free copy of Isaiah 53 explained. Uh, we're going to talk with Jason in Cleveland, Ohio, listening on CRF. Welcome to Open Line, Jason. How can I help you?
S2: Thank you.
S9: Doctor. Uh, I appreciate your help on this question. Um, my question is, is when Jesus was being. No. Thank you. Um, my question is, is when Jesus was being baptized, was the significance of the dove descending on him more for John? And if not, was there any significance for Jesus?
S1: I have no idea.
S9: I don't believe it. I don't believe.
S3: It.
S1: Well, no, I really don't know. What I know is this, uh, it's written in the text. The significance wasn't for Jesus or for John, but in the text, it was written for the reader. And it was to say that the the Spirit of God descended on Jesus, and it was a, uh, affirmation of his spirit empowered ministry. So for those of its it was the original reader. And for you, Jason, and for me, it's to say the Lord Jesus earthly ministry was fully empowered by the Holy Spirit of God. In other words, what this is saying is his ministry wasn't just his deity taken over, but he was the God man. And what he was doing was being empowered by the Spirit of God, not himself. That's what it's saying to the reader. So, you know, so.
S9: Often.
S1: So often I, I think people we ask, what was the significance of this for the characters in the story and the narrative that we're reading before us? And I think we ought to be asking, what is the significance for the reader, because that's why it was written down for us. Okay.
S9: Okay. Yeah.
S1: Does that.
S9: Help? I looked at when Jesus said it does, but I get I'm a little unclear because Jesus was fully God. And so, John, I guess I'm looking at John needing more understanding of this is Jesus's ministry. And now he's going to proclaim it. Um, but I guess the dove is not something Jesus needed. He was fully God.
S1: Yeah, he he knew that. But I was saying to the reader, uh, you and me when we read this, that Jesus wasn't just doing this because he's God. he self limits himself and he's operating as a generally speaking, I mean, he obviously in John he knows he's omniscient, but he self limits himself so much and does things by the power of the Holy Spirit. That's what it's saying.
S3: Perfect.
S1: Okay. Okay. Thank you Jason. Appreciate it. We're going to speak with Victor in Milner, Georgia listening on WMV. Welcome to Open Line, Victor. How can I help you?
S10: Thank you so much for having me.
S1: Sure. How can I help you?
S10: Um, I'm. I have a question about revelation three nine. Um, you know how everything's going on, and a lot of people are being divided, um, about the support of current Israel. And, um, I want to know if I, as a Christian, am. Supposed to, um, back the government of Israel.
S1: Oh, this is the whole thing with, uh, Tucker and, oh, the government of Israel. He he just doesn't understand it. You're talking about what you're trying to do is call by saying this. By asking this, you're saying that Israel is the synagogue of Satan who claim to be Jews and are not. Is that what you're saying about revelation three nine?
S10: I haven't heard that. I honestly, um, no, my family is split in half. So I've been I've been trying to find, um.
S1: Okay, you know what? I only got a minute. Let me just tell you this. Revelation three nine is not talking about the state of Israel. It's not even I'm going to tell you who it's talking about.
S3: Okay?
S10: I come with this with.
S1: Let me let me tell you who it's talking about. Uh, it's it's talking about, uh, people, likely Gentiles Miles who were teaching that they that in order for someone to be saved, they had to convert to Judaism and be circumcised. And they were adding a work is what Galatians forbids. And so he says, take note. I will make those from the synagogue of Satan who claim to be Jews and are not they're not even Jewish. But they took the circumcision as a prerequisite for salvation before faith. Uh, they are Jews. They claim to be Jews, but are not and are lying. Note this I will make them come and bow down at your feet. In other words, what Jesus is saying. These Gentiles who have converted to Judaism so they could be believers in Jesus, and they're adding a work to salvation. They're wrong. That's in a community or teaching a false teaching which is sourced in the enemy. It's not talking about Israel. It's not talking about Jewish people. It's talking about people who claim to be Jewish but are not, uh, because they've gone through this ritual circumcision. They just claim to be Jewish. So it's not talking about Israel at all, so you don't have to worry about that. Okay, well, that's the program for the week. I just needed to be clear about that. Synagogue of Satan thing. Uh, I'm glad that we had an opportunity to talk about that. Uh, next week, we'll be back. Talk about more of your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. Uh, thanks to, uh, Tricia McMillan and to Lisa and to Omar and Reena, uh, for all that they've done today to make this program possible, keep in touch with us by going to our website, Openline Radio.com, and you'll find all the links you're looking for there. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Melnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.