S1: It's usually smarter to weigh consequences rather than chase probabilities. Hi, I'm Rob West. Whether you're building a portfolio or mulling over a new job prospect, checking the odds of success matters. But what if even a low odds failure could wipe you out? Today, Mark Behler joins us to talk through how to guard against the kinds of events that can ruin a financial plan and more. And then we'll take your phone calls at 800 525 7000. This is faith and finance live. Biblical wisdom for your financial journey. Well, Mark Miller is our guest today. He's executive editor at Sound Mind Investing. He's a regular contributor to this program, Sound Mind Investing. Of course, a long time underwriter of the program. And let me just mention Mark is here. He's always gracious with his time. And once again today he will be dedicating the entire broadcast to you. So this is the day. If you have a question on your portfolio, the market, how to think about heading into retirement, maybe on this topic of what about the probabilities and even the consequences. Perhaps more importantly, that might affect your portfolio depending on the decisions you make. Call right now 800 525 7000. We'll be queuing those calls. We'll get to them in just a bit. Questions for Mark Biller today 800 525 7000. Mark always great to have you. Welcome back.
S2: Great to be here Rob. Thanks for having me back.
S1: Mark. You've got a terrific editorial called Focus on Consequences Not probabilities in the latest issue of Sound Mind Investing. So take us into this idea. What are you talking about?
S2: Yeah. Well, risk taking is inevitable when it comes to investing. It's just part of the deal. Risk taking is part of life as well. But you never want to take a risk that you don't have to take. So when we talk about probabilities versus consequences, probabilities deal with how likely something is to happen. But consequences deal with how bad it might be if that thing does happen. And that's a really important difference. You know, if somebody tells you there's a 99% chance you'll be successful at a particular thing, that's the probability. And that's great. In this case, that would be a very likely thing. But what if that 1% chance of failure means absolute ruin? Maybe you're dead if that 1% thing comes up, you know, 1% chance of ruin is still ruin. And so even though the probability may be really low, if the consequence is severe enough, that's got to weigh more heavily in our decision making than the high percentage chance of success.
S1: MM. Yeah. Well, that's pretty stark. Let's make it maybe even more practical. Um, what about crossing a busy street? I know you use that example. Walk us through that.
S2: Yeah, that's one that everybody can relate to and it makes the point pretty clear. So, you know, this is a great example of low probability but high consequence. You know, the probability of me getting run over by a truck when I cross the street is very low, but I'm still going to look both ways because the consequence of me getting run over by a truck is catastrophic. So in the same way as investors, we can't ignore a potential wipeout event, even if it's just a small probability or is statistically unlikely.
S1: MM. Yeah. Really helpful. What about from an investing standpoint? How does this apply.
S2: Yeah. Well, you know, I think that there are a lot of different applications of it. Um one example of this in history, a famous example was the failure of Long Term Capital Management, which was a famous hedge fund back in 1998. Super genius brain trust. In fact, they wrote a book about this episode after the fact that they titled When Genius Failed. And the bottom line of this, Rob was these were the smartest investing guys around. They built these amazing models, and those models would have worked almost every time. But almost every time isn't every time. And so the combination of leverage and the wrong set of circumstances ended up wiping out this hedge fund and almost taking down the whole financial system with them. So that was a classic example of low probability, high consequence. And honestly, those types of things happen too often in financial history, which has to make us humble about the actual probabilities of these types of failures.
S1: Yeah, that's exactly right. Well, there's a lot to apply here to your portfolio as you're listening to Mark Miller today. And we'll continue to do that route right around the corner. We'll talk about, among other things, something called a sequence of returns risk that is front and center for retirees. We'll also be taking your investing related questions for Mark today. Call right now. If you've got a question, we've got lines open. We'll begin taking these calls in the next segment. 800 525 7000. Mark Miller here from Sound Mind Investing. We'll be right back.
S3: The opinions offered during this program represent the personal or professional opinions of the participants given for informational purposes only. Any information provided is not intended to replace advice from a financial, medical, legal or other professional who understands your specific situation.
S1: Well, it's always a good day when Mark Biller's here. He's our go to guy on the markets and your portfolio today we're talking about focusing on consequences, not probabilities. That's right. Whether you're building a portfolio or maybe thinking about a new job prospect, checking the odds of success matters. But what if even a low odds failure could wipe you out? That was the focus of the editorial and the Sound Mind Investing newsletter from Mark Biller. You can read it. It's called focus on consequences, not probabilities. When you head to Sound Mind investing dot ORG. I know the article leans heavily on the late Peter Bernstein's work Mark. What was his key insight?
S2: Yeah. Bernstein wrote one of the definitive books on the history of financial risk, and one of his key conclusions after reviewing all this financial history was that the consequences of being wrong are more Are important than the probabilities of being right. So he urged investors to ask. If it does go wrong, just how wrong could it go and how much will that matter? And that question really helps reframe risk from kind of a math question to more of a survival question.
S1: MM. Yeah. So taking this from the theoretical to the practical, then let's talk about something called margin of safety. How can an individual investor build that into their portfolio?
S2: Yeah. Well thankfully Rob, this is where we can start to lean on the timeless biblical principles that we talk about so frequently to help keep us safe. So we start out with the financial foundation. We often discuss, which we build by getting out of debt and establishing an emergency savings reserve. Ideally before we start putting large sums of money at risk in the markets. Once we get to the investing stage, we can use diversification across asset classes to help manage risk. Um, a couple other things. We want to avoid really concentrated bets and especially leverage, which can permanently impair our capital. Um, another one that we see a lot, Rob, is just, you know, when we get into financial planning, um, using modest assumptions in our planning, you know, you may know what the historical average of stocks or different asset class has been in terms of the performance, but maybe rerun that plan with a little bit more modest assumption. Um, there are lots of applications here, but bottom line, really maintaining a margin of safety is really about having the humility to acknowledge that we're fallible. We don't know what the future holds, and leaving some room for error instead of running every scenario at full throttle.
S1: MM. Yeah, that's well said. Mark Miller is here today. We're taking your questions. We'll do that. Now. We do have some lines open. If you have an investing related question, you're wondering what to do about your portfolio call right now. Mark, would love to tackle your question today at 800 525 7000. Let's go to Tennessee. Allen. You'll be our first caller. Go ahead sir.
S4: Thank you for your time. Uh, a number of years ago, my wife and I, along with our financial planner, sat down and looked at long term care costs as far as purchasing like a policy for that. And it was just to me when I did the math, it just didn't really add up to I didn't think it was the smartest approach and our financial investor was letting us lead. But he I said, what do you think? And he said, I kind of agree. So we're self-funding that. And I guess my question is, is, um, at what point do we, uh, definitely want to these are the Lord's money. So we don't want to hoard these. We don't necessarily want to leave a whole lot, although we're going to try to set up a legacy for some different ministries if there is monies left over. But how much should we allocate knowing that these costs go up pretty substantially every year?
S1: Yeah. I mean, you know, I think you need to be looking at the today's costs, you know, which could be 10,000 a month. We just had Nathan Sarno yesterday with us, the president of Master Care and LTC consumer.com. He was saying, you know, certainly 10,000 a month, you know, skilled in home care could run 25,000 a month. And, you know, you've got everything in between. Um, so, you know, is this a risk? Yes. It will affect, you know, more than half of 65 year old and older Americans at some point in their lives. And, you know, that need could be substantial. Um, you know, long term care insurance has come a long way. The policies, the older policies were really problematic because I think they were often priced in an environment where the carriers didn't understand how many people would use them, how long would they keep them? What about future costs? And so as a result, the industry has gotten a black eye because of the dramatic increases in premium. But today's policies are, you know, they know how to price them a lot better. Yes. They're expensive. I think, you know, a typical policy could be, you know, $250 a month, probably up to, you know, 7 or 800 a month and everything in between. And again, you know, you've got to buy the policy that's right for you. Typically between, you know, 55 is probably when you want to start looking at it, but you can also self-insure. Mark, I'd love for you to weigh in on how do you think about positioning your portfolio if you are going to self-insure against the risk of perhaps needing a substantial income stream down the road to be able to fund long term care?
S2: Yeah, it's it's absolutely a question that's on everybody's mind as they get into the planning process. And I would just add to what you just said, Rob, which was all excellent. We did a deep dive on on all of this about a year ago, and the SMI newsletter. And one thing that a lot of people are not aware of is there has been kind of a new, uh, part of this industry that's popped up because of all the challenges on the long term care insurance. There's a short term care insurance option now that a lot of people don't know about, with the primary difference being that those policies are targeted to a shorter period. Thus the short term care. So those typically will run out in about a year, which sounds like well, that may not be that helpful if I have a big problem. But when you look at the statistics, a lot of people end up in situations where they need that care for a shorter period of time. And by having that time limit on it, that makes them much, much more affordable. Um, but back to your original question there, Rob. You know, there isn't so much that you can do, um, with your, your overall investing portfolio planning, um, other than to recognize that there is this, this looming need and try to build that into your projection of what, uh, what kind of, um, dollar figure nest egg you're, you're likely to need. And I think that, you know, the one thing we talk about from time to time here on these programs is that some folks, you know, feel like they're in good shape when they hit retirement. And so they really hit the brakes and get really conservative with their portfolios because they don't want to take unnecessary risk. And this is one of those risks that because it's so undefined, um, you know, you kind of have to keep an eye on it. And that's a reason to keep that portfolio growing at a little bit higher clip if you can.
S1: Yeah, I think that's right. And, and not going to light on stocks for this very reason, because you can outlive your money. You could also have a major expense that enters the equation in this season of life that is unexpected. So Allen, hope that helps. If you did want to check it out, perhaps some of these other newer policies, uh, even just to shoulder a portion of this LTC consumer.com is a great resource, not only a search engine for actual policies, but a great resource for education and then sound mind investing.org as well. We'll be right back. Thanks for joining us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West, Mark Billers here today. We're talking about focusing on not probabilities but consequences. That was the focus of his editorial in the latest Sound Mind Investing newsletter. You can check it out. Sound mind investing dot ORG. That's sound mind investing.org. While you're there, check out the SMI newsletter, you know, for more than 30 years. Do it yourself. Investors have relied on SMI for proven strategies and trustworthy guidance. They also have the private client group for those that want to delegate to Mark and his team to manage those assets directly. Mark's taking your questions today on investing. If you have a question, call right now 800 525 7000. The lines are filling up, but still a few lines open at the moment. Let's go to Ohio. Connie, how can we help you?
S5: Yes. Hi, I was wondering. Hold on. I have an annuity and I was wondering, can I use part of that as part of that, um interest as an RMD?
S1: Yeah. Is this, uh, an IRA annuity as they're often referred to? Is it pre-tax money?
S5: No.
S1: So it's a, it's not a what's called a qualified annuity. It's after tax annuity money.
S5: Um, I'm not really sure it might be. I'm not sure. Okay. Yeah. All I know is it's an annuity, and it has a lot of. It has a lot of interest in it.
S1: Yes. Okay.
S5: I don't I'm not I'm not taxed at the end of the year. So I guess when I pull it out then I'm taxed on that.
S1: Yes. Okay. Very good. Yeah. Mark, would you want to weigh in on that?
S2: Yeah. I, I think, Connie, you're going to have to probably speak with, with somebody at the annuity company to find out exactly, um, the terms of the annuity and, and exactly how that is going to be taxed and whether that would qualify as, as a, you know, required minimum distribution. Um, I'm not sure without getting that information directly from them how you would know that otherwise.
S1: Yeah. Yeah. I think that's a great point. It's always good to revisit the details. I would just say, you know, Sometimes this can be done. If the qualified annuity is held inside a traditional IRA, then that distribution from the IRA annuity could be used to satisfy, you know, RMDs for the other IRAs. Um, so you could potentially, let's say you had, you know, IRA one had a $4,000 RMD, IRA two had three, the IRA annuity had five, a total was 12. You could take the entire 12 from the IRA annuity rather than taking separate withdrawals from all three accounts. Uh, assuming the annuity contract permits the distribution, um, if you have for one KS and so forth, it gets complicated because the aggregation rules differ by account type. But you do need to Mark's point to check with the, uh, the insurance company just to find out exactly what can be done. But the direction you're headed is certainly possible. Uh, I would just do a bit more investigation. Thanks for your call today. Uh, to Chattanooga CC. How can we help you?
S6: Yes I have. I invest some of my. I do my own investments with Truist Bank. They charge me $60 a year to do that, but I just. I had my son put it through an AI thing that told him that I have, um, a lot of the same stocks and mutual funds doing the same job. And so, for example, AI is a little part of a lot of the mutual funds or, and, and, and so if, if AI goes down, then I'll have a whole lot of mine. Everything will drop and I need to diversify better. Um, so I didn't know how to, if there was a class or a book or something I could that would help me with diversifying better. Um, what are your thoughts on that?
S1: Yeah. Mark your thoughts.
S2: Yeah. Um, this is, this is definitely in the wheelhouse of what SMI does and what we're all about. Um, so a really easy, um, you know, way to start on That might be to just roll around the SMI website a little bit. Our SMI handbook, um, is, uh, a good one stop, you know, guide to breaking down different types of mutual funds. Um, the strategies that we provide are designed to do a lot of exactly what you're talking about, which is to make sure that you're well diversified, not just between, say, stocks and bonds, but different types of stocks. Um, you know, generally speaking, you're going to want to divide your stock investments, uh, to diversify along two different, uh, poles so you can diversify by the size of companies so large, medium and small. And then the most general, uh, other type of diversification is between growth investments and value investments. So if you think about those two different Are poles of diversification. You can start to move away from, as you were saying, like, it sounds like you have a very growth heavy portfolio, a lot of AI investments, a lot of technology companies and that sort of thing. And so to diversify that, you wouldn't have to get rid of all of that, but you might take some of that money and look specifically for some more value oriented investments and our strategies. We have some that are clearly laid out, the specific funds. So, you know, that would be one way to kind of get the cheat sheet would be to just sign up for a month, look at the strategies and see which value funds we're currently recommending. Um, and that that would be a quick way to do it. Or you can do a little more research on your own and kind of build your own type of grid so that you have some growth, some value, some large and ideally some small. And then if you want to also add some foreign stock diversification. Um, we've talked we've had a few programs about the advantages of investing in foreign stocks. I think it's a great idea to have some of that exposure as well. So that's kind of a quick overview of how to diversify a stock portfolio.
S1: Very good. I'd love to send you a copy of that book that Mark mentioned. It's called the Sound Mind Investing Handbook. CC will send that as our gift to you. Stay on the line. The team will get your information and we'll get it right out to you. It's going to give you a nice primer of a lot of the things Mark was talking about and a whole lot more. And again, sound mind investing.org could be a great resource, including the Sound Mind Investing newsletter, but we'll get the handbook right out to you. Thanks for your call today. Well, when we come back, we'll continue to take your questions. We'll head to North Carolina, to Florida, to Texas, and we'll talk more about Mark's article focused on consequences, not probabilities. We'll be right back. Helping you live as a faithful steward. This is faith and finance live. I'm Rob West, he's Marc Biller. We're talking about investing today focusing on consequences, not probabilities. That was the focus of Mark's recent editorial in the Sound Mind Investing newsletter. Check out the article when you go to Sound Mind investing.org. We're going to head right back to the phones in a moment. We have room for a few more questions today. If you have a question on investing your portfolio, call right now (800) 525-7000. Mark would love to tackle those questions. First, Mark, you mentioned in the article something called sequence of returns risk. And this is particularly of interest to retirees. Tell us what that is and how we should think about it.
S2: Yeah. It's a fancy term for a very real problem that retirees face, and that is that losses early in a person's retirement, because you're also withdrawing from the account to meet your your living expenses. If you get losses early on and they're severe enough, your portfolio can get depleted so quickly that even if you have stronger market returns later on, your portfolio really has a hard time recovering from that. And that's kind of a weird idea because, you know, we learn in an early math that it doesn't matter what sequence, uh, you know, uh, numbers come in when they're multiplied. If you have one times, two times three, it's the same as three times two times one. The difference, of course, Rob, is that when you're actually taking money out of the account as you go, then the sequence does matter in terms of how that plays out. And so, you know, there are a few things that we can do to try to counteract this specific risk, which is a very big deal for retirees. One is simple diversification. We diversify so that our whole portfolio isn't exposed to that stock market risk. And then there are other strategies as well. Like, uh, one popular one is to hold a few years worth of your spending in very low risk cash or bonds specifically, so that if you're one of the unlucky few who do have a big market drawdown early on in your retirement, you can take your living expenses from the cash and the bonds, leave the stock investments alone so that they have time to recover from the downturn. And that way, a big early decline isn't going to sabotage your whole long term retirement plan.
S1: Yeah. Really helpful. Mark, thanks for sharing that. Uh, all right, let's head back to the phones. We're going to head out to North Carolina. William, thanks for your patience. Go ahead.
S7: Yes, hello. Thank you. Appreciate the wisdom that you provide on a daily basis. My question is, my wife is 68, and we found out that she has like three different retirement accounts, and we understand we'll avoid the penalty, but the taxes that come with that. So the question is what are the recommendations on when we do get ready to access that? Um what are our options? We're trying to take it and then changing our tax liability or bracket.
S1: Yeah. Mark.
S2: Yeah. Great. Well, and well, I guess the, uh, the silver lining there is finding out you have extra retirement accounts is always, always a good thing. Um, you know, I think you're wise to keep an eye on the, the tax side of this. And there are a couple of things that you can do for sure. One is to, um, find out exactly where the tax brackets, um, where the tax rates change, how where the brackets are. The limits are the dollar limits around your income level. And the reason that's so important is a lot of times, um, you know, if you have, uh, a certain amount of, of dollars available above your current income before you get up to the next tax bracket and the, the tax rate changes, you know, that can give you a little bit of leeway to potentially, uh, take a little bit larger withdrawal in a particular year. Or you might see that you're right up against the top of your current tax bracket, in which case you might take a, a lesser withdrawal in a particular year, so you can manage your tax liability that way. Um, you also have some ability. You said you're, uh, 68 years old or your wife is, um, so you have some ability here before required minimum distributions kick in to use that same idea of eyeballing these tax brackets and how much room you have before you hit the next higher tax level, uh, to potentially do some Roth conversions if you're dealing with some traditional IRAs. That's one way that you can manage your tax liability by potentially paying a little more tax now, but with the benefit that when you're required, minimum distributions kick in, uh, several years from now, you're not going to be required to take distributions that are larger than you want. And that would potentially bump you into higher tax rates. I guess the last idea, William, that I'll leave you with is if you guys do any charitable giving, a great way to manage your tax liability is to use a qualified charitable distribution, which is a way you can take some of your required minimum distributions out of an IRA. It goes directly to the charity that you designate, which can be your local church or a different charity. And if you do that with that QCD, that qualified charitable distribution, it completely bypasses your tax return, which means you don't have to worry about the income, uh, impacting your Social Security or Medicare, uh, either. So those are a few ideas. William. Rob, I don't know if you have any others.
S1: I love those. Yeah. I mean, this idea of filling up the buckets is a big one where you fill up the lower brackets, brackets without spilling unnecessarily into a higher bracket. Uh, and this window that you have for tax planning after you retire, where you have lower earned income, where Social Security may not have started. And you certainly don't have RMDs yet, gives you a nice window to be able to go ahead and pay some tax at, you know, the ten or the 12% bracket shy of the 22%. And, you know, get some of that money out or convert it to Mark's point, to Roth. Does that make sense, though?
S7: It does. That is extremely helpful. Very much.
S1: Excellent. Well, thanks for your call today, sir, and appreciate you being on the program. Stay on the line. We'll send you a copy of Mark's book, The Handbook. The Sound Mind Investing Handbook is our gift to you quickly to Florida. Alberto, thanks for calling today. Go ahead.
S8: Long time listener. Rob. I got a question. Um, have you ever heard of this company? Um, why refi investment? Mhm.
S1: Yeah. Yes, I'm familiar with it. Essentially, it's a private investment that involves a promissory note tied to their business. Why refi? Uh, with their businesses refinancing distress or defaulted private student loans. Um, here's, here's what I would say. It's substantially higher risk than anything like a CD or a treasury, for sure. It's certainly not FDIC insured. Um, you know, essentially think about it like, you know, the 10.25%, you know, you're lending money to a private company. And with that higher rate comes the additional credit and liquidity risk because these investments are very illiquid. There's no secondary market. So although you can request an early redemption, they can approve or decline or delay it. Um there's also credit and business risk because the underlying business involves borrowers who previously have, have had distress or defaulted private student loans. Um, and, you know, there's just, uh, you know, a higher overall risk because of, uh, you know, these are not insured in any way. So I would just be careful, uh, about something like this personally, I would stay away from it. But I appreciate you asking. Alberto, thanks for your call today. Mark Miller is here today. Back with our final segment after this call with questions 805 525 7000. Mark Miller is here today. We're talking about his article that you can read it sound mind investing.org. It's called focus on Consequences, not probabilities. And it's a really insightful article. Mark, before we head back to the phones, I'd love for you to comment on what's going on in the in the Treasury market. Obviously, we've got long term yields up dramatically. I know the Treasury Secretary moving to double the buyback which temporarily provided some relief. Yields back up today. I know the secretary saying that he was just trying to provide liquidity not necessarily get involved in the yield. And he's got a big toolbox at his disposal. But just kind of give us some sense of what's going on. And is there some concern here?
S2: Yeah, I mean, there is some concern, Rob. You know, we saw a few years ago, uh, in 2022, the impact that rapidly rising interest rates can have, not just on bond prices, which are always going to go down as interest rates go up. But in 2022, when bond yields went up, the stock market really reacted poorly to that as well. Um, and so it's been an issue that investors have been watching on and off for the last probably, you know, four years or so. And whenever interest rates do climb, uh, treasury yields climb towards, you know, 5% or so on the ten year, especially, um, the stock market tends to get pretty skittish and investors get nervous. So, you know, as we look at what's happened here in the last week or two, there have actually been two interventions. One of them just flew right past most people's radar because it involved the Japanese yen. And if you look at that one closely. Our intervention in the. The yen carry trade, which gets very technical, was largely considered to be an effort by the U.S. Treasury to keep Japan from selling their U.S. treasuries in order to raise dollars to protect the value of their currency. And so we intervene to try to keep them from selling U.S. Treasury bonds. Then yesterday, as you mentioned, Rob, the Treasury intervened again in the Treasury market by increasing the size of this buyback of older treasuries. Now, there's some technical things around that that make that probably a good move, because what can happen is old treasuries can become kind of a liquid. So treasury bonds, longer term bonds that were issued back in 20 2021 when rates were much lower. Nobody wants those. And so they're largely a liquid. They're stuck on balance sheets of institutions and banks and things. So the Treasury coming in and saying, hey, we're going to issue some new short term bonds to to create money to buy back some of those illiquid long term bonds. That's probably a good thing. But behind all of this, Rob, I think you have to keep your eye on the ball here and not get lost in the technical forest. And the big picture here is that we're trying to wallpaper over a much bigger problem. The much bigger problem is we're six years out from Covid, and the federal government is still running annual deficits that are 6% of GDP. So these are huge deficits. We're issuing massive amounts of debt year after year after year, really at a level that historically we would only run this type of deficit if we were in the middle of a deep recession. Um, and so just like a household goes through different phases where, you know, things are going really well, so most reasonable people would pay down their debt, you know, would save some extra to get ready for a rainy day down the road. Well, that's what we should be doing right now. We've got a good economy. Unemployment is low. We know that someday those conditions will change. We'll have a recession, and the government will need to spend more and borrow more to help us get through and out of that recession. But we don't have that today, and we're still borrowing all this and creating all this new debt. So that's really the the problem that the bond market and investors are kind of looking through these actions, these interventions and saying, you know, that's all great. That might help today, tomorrow, next month. But, you know, longer term, we want to be paid more if we're going to take the risk of lending this government money, lending the U.S. government money at these longer terms, you know, ten years, 20 years, 30 years. We don't trust that they're going to be responsible. And, you know, there's there's more risk. That's really what it boils down to. More risk equals higher rates. And that's what we're seeing in the bond market. These rates pushing up on the long end. Now I would say the biggest takeaway from what's happened here in the last couple of weeks in this action yesterday is the Treasury, if you read between the lines, is basically saying we're not comfortable letting interest, long term interest rates go higher than they are right now. And if they're going to play that game of trying to kind of artificially cap rates here, well, it's kind of like when you squeeze a water balloon, you know, you can put pressure on one part of the balloon, but it's just going to bulge out somewhere else. And so what we saw yesterday was what are the bond alternatives? If you're going to cap the interest rates on the bonds, investors immediately say to themselves, well, where where else can I go? And what we saw yesterday was gold shot up by like 4%. So that's kind of your insurance against these types of policy actions. Um, so we're kind of circling back to some of that dollar debasement trade stuff that we were talking about at the beginning of the year on those programs where if we can't trust the interest rates on the bonds, maybe we take some of that money and put it into things like gold and other precious metals as an alternative. Um, and so I think you saw a big response to that yesterday there, you know, the dollar fell quite a bit against foreign currencies. Um, another thing we've talked about in, in the last year or two, uh, with a falling dollar is international stocks tend to do really well when the U.S. dollar is falling. Uh, commodities, things that are priced in dollars tend to go up in price, like with gold. So commodities, foreign stocks, gold, all those things get a bid in this type of environment.
S1: Yeah, really helpful analysis, Mark. Thanks for that. All right. Let's try to sneak in 1 to 2 more phone calls here before we close out for the day. Rachel in Texas, thanks for your patience. How can we help you?
S9: Well, I just wanted to find out how I could invest some of my money. I have I have no investments or anything like that. I don't have a debt. So I just wanted to find out about that. Yes. Thinking about it lately.
S1: Okay. Yeah. Very good. Can I ask a couple of questions?
S9: Sure.
S1: Okay. Uh, approximately what amount of money do you have available that you would consider investing?
S9: Well, maybe, uh, 150,000.
S1: Okay. And would that be in addition to what I call an emergency fund, the savings that you need for the unexpected?
S9: Uh, no. No it doesn't.
S1: So this, the 150 includes your emergency fund?
S9: No.
S1: No. You have that separate.
S9: I have, I have yes.
S1: Okay. Very good. And what are your income sources? What are you living on?
S9: Social security.
S1: Okay. Social security alone?
S9: Yes.
S1: All right. And is that enough to cover your bills?
S9: Yes. Okay. I have an arrangement right now that I don't. I don't pay taxes because I didn't work. It was so secure. Came from my husband.
S1: I see.
S9: Uh. Yes, ma'am. About three years. A little bit at a time. I've been able to make this little nest egg for myself.
S1: Yeah. Excellent. Well done. And the 150 or so thousand. Is that just in a savings account right now?
S9: Yes.
S1: Okay. And if you don't mind me asking last question, what is your age?
S9: 80. I'm going to be 89.
S1: Wow. Incredible. Uh, Mark, uh, thoughts on, uh, how Rachel can think about this 150,000?
S2: Yeah. So, Rachel, you know, the biggest question, uh, that you'll have to, to deal with in making this decision is how much risk do you want to take with that money? So you've got it in a savings account right now. So the, the smallest step up in risk would be to go to something like, uh, CD, uh, maybe a little bit longer term CD that's going to pay you a little bit more interest. Uh, beyond that, you could go into some very low risk, um, bond type investments. And then at the very farthest end of the risk spectrum, you'd be talking about like stock market type investments. Um, but, you know, with stock market investments. We typically say, if you don't have at least a five year time horizon, you probably want to steer clear of stocks. So that may incline you towards, you know, looking at some of the, the different bond investment type options that are out there. They're all different types of bond funds, um, and ways to invest in bonds. Um, so that could be a conversation that you could even start at your local bank to see what kind of options they have. Um, otherwise, you know, you can certainly open a brokerage account with a company like Schwab or fidelity or there are many others. And just look for, um, you know, low risk bond fund investments as an option. Um, but that would probably be where to start.
S1: Yeah. I think that's great advice, Rachel. The other option, in addition to what Mark shared, and I would agree wholeheartedly, is to connect with a certified Kingdom advisor there in Texas. Somebody who could help you think about how to build the kind of portfolio Mark was describing, where maybe and this would be entirely up to you. Maybe you have 10 or 20%. So 15 to 30 000 that goes into stocks to give you a little bit of growth. And then the rest nine, you know, 80 to 90% of that 150,000 is in those CDs and money market and bonds that Mark was talking about, where you're still on the more conservative end of the spectrum, but you have the ability to earn a little bit more on this nest egg that you've been so diligent to save. I'm going to ask you to hold the line. My team will get your information. I'll have somebody from Kingdom Advisors call you in the event you want to connect with the Certified Kingdom Advisor, they can find one for you in your area. Just hold the line. Mark, thanks for being here today.
S10: Always my pleasure. Rob.
S1: Folks, check out Sound Mind Investing, the newsletter, the private client group, and the article we've been talking about at Sound Mind investing.org.