S1: Today's version of Faith and Finance Live is pre-recorded, so our phone lines are not open for, you know, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich. Second Corinthians eight nine. Hi, I'm Rob West. That's an encouraging truth for what is often felt as a somber day. It's Good Friday, the day we set aside to reflect on the crucifixion of Christ and what truly happened on that cross over 2000 years ago. Today we'll talk about the greatest act of grace in human history. Then we have some great questions lined up for you. But don't call in today because we're pre-recorded. This is faith and finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial journey. For centuries, Christians have called this day Good Friday, and it is good, but not because the events were easy or lighthearted. It's good because of what Christ accomplished for us. For many believers, this day carries a mix of emotions. There's the sorrow of remembering the suffering Jesus endured, and the weight of knowing it was our sin that led him there. And yet, there's also overwhelming gratitude for the love of the father who gave his son, and for the son who willingly laid down his life. It's a day to reflect on the reality that Jesus bore the full weight of our sins on the cross, suffering in our place so that we could be reconciled to God. That's the wonder of the cross. But along with sorrow and gratitude, there's also anticipation. Because we know what Sunday brings the resurrection of Jesus and the promise of eternal life with him. Good Friday is not the end of the story. It's the turning point. And that's why we call it good. Now, here on faith and finance, we often talk about money, how to steward it well and use it for God's glory. But the Bible also uses financial imagery to To describe spiritual realities. In fact, Scripture is full of words like debt, ransom, redemption, and inheritance because those terms helped people understand the profound truths of the gospel in everyday language. Take Romans 623, for example. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Or Mark 1045 where Jesus says, for even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. And First Corinthians 620 reminds us, you are bought with a price, so glorify God in your body. These verses speak of something far deeper than finances. They describe the cost of sin and the beauty of God's grace. Our sin didn't just lead to guilt. It separated us from the very presence of God, cutting us off from the one who is the source of life and love. Left to ourselves, we had no way to bridge that gap. But Jesus came to restore what was broken. As Jesus breathed his last on the cross, the Gospel of John records him saying, it is finished. In the original Greek, the word is tetelestai. In ancient times, this saying was packed with meaning. It was spoken by servants who had completed their assigned tasks. It was declared by artists when a masterpiece was complete. It was proclaimed by priests after inspecting a spotless lamb for sacrifice, and most significantly, it was written on receipts to indicate that a debt had been fully paid. No remaining balance, nothing left owed. So when Jesus declared it is finished from the cross, he wasn't simply marking the end of his earthly life. He was proclaiming the completion of his mission. The work of salvation was done. The debt of sin was cancelled. The great chasm between God and humanity was bridged not by our effort, but by his sacrifice. And here's the beauty of Jesus final words. They remind us that we don't live in a state of spiritual deficit. We live in the overflow of grace. Jesus didn't make a down payment on our salvation. He paid it in full. There is nothing left for us to earn or achieve. No good work can add to what he has finished. We simply receive it by faith and live in the freedom it brings. So on this Good Friday, as we reflect on the cross, we're invited to hear those final words of Jesus tetelestai with awe and gratitude. It is finished. The debt of sin has been paid in full completely forever. Nothing remains for us to earn, prove or repay. And that changes everything. We are free. Free from guilt, free from striving. Free to live for the one who gave everything for us. Obedience is no longer a duty to earn favor, but a joyful response to his grace. In light of the finished work of Christ, we now live to follow him, not to gain life, but because in him we've already found it. All right, we're going to head to a break, so don't go anywhere. Still a lot more to come, even though we're away from the studio today and you shouldn't call in. We have some great questions that you're really going to enjoy as we continue to apply God's wisdom to your financial decisions. We'll be right back. Great to have you with us today on faith and finance live. By the way, we're not live. Today we're away from the studio, so don't call in. But we have some great questions that we lined up in advance, by the way. This ministry is entirely listener supported. That means we rely on your financial gifts and support to do what we do on the air every day. If you consider a gift, we'd certainly be grateful. Just head to our website, Philly.com. That's faith for.com and click the give button. Thanks in advance. All right. Let's get to our calls today that we've lined up for you. Let's go to Arkansas. Hi, Dennis. Go ahead.
S2: Uh, yes. Uh, can you recommend a burial insurance of any kind?
S1: Uh, yeah. You know, I don't recommend specific companies on that, but I will say just kind of generally this final expense insurance, you know, is essentially a small life insurance policy for a specific purpose, and that is funeral and related costs. The benefits of them are, you know, you're going to have affordable premiums. They have what is called guaranteed acceptance. So they generally don't require a medical exam, uh, you know, a quick payout, it'll cover the funeral expenses and you have a set premium. The problem with them is, though, that they have a higher cost per coverage. So compared to traditional life insurance options. Burial insurance is, you know, a higher cost per thousand dollars of coverage and it's limited coverage. It only goes generally up to 50,000. Um, and so you could, if you live a long time, pay more in premiums than the policies payout amount. And then some have a two year waiting period before the full benefits are even paid. So if you passed away in those, you know, two years, God forbid, um, your beneficiaries might not receive the full amount. So another option would be, you know, just to save and invest, take that same money and put it into an investment. Um, you could just use traditional term life insurance while you're building your assets, because what the likely scenario is that there'd be plenty there. You know, once you're through your working years that you could even designate to a, to a beneficiary, um, so that money is readily available. Uh, and so you'd just be covering your working years so that if something happened, you know, you could get more coverage. Um, you know, with higher coverage amounts and a lower cost through just traditional life insurance. So I think, you know, these are the the options that you have. But if you are wanting to go with a burial policy, then I think, you know, you need to, uh, you know, get an insurance agent who can help you find the very best one. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have a specific company to recommend.
S2: Yeah. All right. Well, I appreciate you all. And this is my first time calling.
S1: Well, I'm so glad, and I appreciate you listening. Uh, God bless you. Call anytime, sir. We appreciate you being on the program today. Uh, before we head back to the phones in the news, home buyers are putting down more money at the closing table these days. That's right. The typical buyers down payment is now 16.3% of the home's price. That's up from 15% a year ago. At the same time, a 31% of home buyers are paying all cash for a new home, down from 34% a year ago. All of this from, uh, an analyst by Redfin of county records in the 40 most populous metropolitan areas. Uh, the typical home buyer is now putting down about $63,000, which is 4000 more than last year. Analysts say this is largely because home prices have risen about 6% in the past year, and that's on top of all the increases we had in the years prior. Uh, also, the larger down payment statistic includes buyers who are using equity from the previous sale of a home. It's not limited to first time home buyers who had to save up, uh, a down payment from scratch. And obviously, with the rising home prices, if you had an existing home that you sold, you're pulling out more equity, uh, from those properties, which is allowing you then to roll that in in the form of a higher down payment. Bottom line, it's still a challenge to buy a home these days. Home affordability is difficult. Uh, But you will not regret saving as much as you can before doing it. That will help to lower the amount you have to borrow, and that will save you thousands of dollars in interest over the years, you know. Keep in mind among the three budget busters is food and transportation and yes, housing. So just be careful. Don't stretch to buy a house you really can't afford, because that is going to just really hinder your ability to accomplish your other financial goals, as you have too much going on in the housing category. What is that number? I would say certainly no more than 30% of your take home pay to principal interest, taxes and insurance. I'd prefer that to be at 25%. I know that's challenging, but that would really be the key because then you'd have enough left for everything else. The other piece I would say is make sure you have at least a 20% down payment. As I said here, the the typical buyer right now is putting down 16.3%, which means they have private mortgage insurance. That doesn't help you. That's for the lender. It's just an extra unnecessary expense. About 1% of the mortgage. Um, and so, you know, try to avoid that by getting that 20% down. That's going to avoid you paying unnecessary interest. Keep your payment more manageable. And if that means you need to delay that purchase for a season, I'd just say do it and uh, and save, save, save. All right. I hope that's helpful. Let's head back to the phones. Uh, to Mississippi. Hi, Mike. Go ahead.
S3: Uh, I was just going to comment about the, uh, the guy that's asking about the insurance policies here in Mississippi. We can go to our funeral home and make arrangements through the funeral home and go in and pick out your casket and everything you want to do and pay through the funeral home, too. So that's, uh, there's another option for him if he wants to try that.
S1: Mike, I'm glad you mentioned that. You're exactly right. So the alternatives would be just save and invest on your own. Uh, you know, you could have, uh, life insurance, traditional life insurance. But you're right, that pre-paid funeral plan through a funeral home is an option. The benefit there is you're locking in today's funeral costs, and it reduces the burden on the family at the time of death. The only downside I would offer there is just limited flexibility. So if you move, the plan may not transfer. That may not be a concern. But just know that that's the case. And then the only other risk here is that if the funeral home goes out of business and it does happen, it's rare, but it does happen, then you could lose that money. So just be aware of the the risk related to that in that situation. But Mike, it's a great suggestion, sir, and I appreciate you calling that out today. Appreciate your call. Uh, you know, when we talk about insurance, by the way, it's important to note that when we talk about life insurance, uh, I think it's really critical that everyone has life insurance during their working years. See, remember, the purpose of life insurance is to offset the risk that you died during your working years. You have a dependent, usually your spouse who's counting on that income and it goes away. And that's a significant risk in terms of them, your spouse continuing to main maintain their lifestyle. And so we get enough coverage, which is usually 10 to 12 times your income, to be able to replace that income by way of you getting a lump sum that you could then invest and maintain your lifestyle. Some folks will add to that 10 to 12 times your income. Uh, the cost of college for the kids. Some will do 10 to 12 times plus college plus the home mortgage. Because think about that. If you knew, okay, my spouse has passed away. I've got 10 to 12 times his or her income to invest and draw the income on the house is now paid off. So that drops the expense. And the college's, uh, tuitions are funded. Now we're in a pretty solid financial position. Well, the way to get that amount of coverage, which is going to be a sizable policy for most folks, is term insurance. See, that's going to keep the cost of insurance as low as possible, because you're getting as much coverage as you need and keeping that cost at a minimum, probably at 20 or 30 year policy. But remember, the idea is, Lord willing, you never collect on it, and then you drop it when you get to retirement because you have other assets and your spouse is no longer depending upon your income. So think about that. If you don't have that coverage, put that in place. So we're caring for loved ones even after death. Well folks, we're going to head to a break. But let me remind you, we're out of the studio today. Our team is not here, so don't call in. But much more to come just around the corner on faith and finance live. Stick around. Thanks so much for joining us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West, your host. Hey, our team is away from the studio today. We're not here, but we've got some great questions that we lined up in advance. I know you'll enjoy those a little later in our broadcast. Folks, have you checked out recently? Our website at giphy.com. If not, I'd encourage you to do that. You'll find our community there where you can post questions and comments, hear from others that are on the stewardship journey as well. You can also access our content and check out the Faith fi app. It's at Faith Philly.com. Hey, before we get back to our calls, I want to take a moment to look at the meaning behind this word steward that we see so often in Scripture. The Greek word for steward that we find in the New Testament is oikonomos. It means household manager. So just as a household manager oversees a home on behalf of the owner, we manage God's resources. That's a profound understanding because it means we own nothing, but we are responsible for everything under our care. Now this of course, extends beyond finances our time, our talents, our relationships, even truth. Everything we have is God's and we have to manage it wisely. Our goal to bring him honor and glory. But what are the implications of accepting our role as steward with God as owner? Well, here's a few of them that we'll unpack throughout today's broadcast. Number one, as stewards have responsibilities, not rights. You see, as stewards, we manage God's resources according to his will, not our own desires. We don't have ownership rights over what we manage. We're responsible for using it faithfully. This means making decisions based on what pleases God, not what benefits us personally. Now, don't get me wrong, money is one of God's good creations, and part of what we see in First Timothy is that we're to enjoy what God has given us. He gave us creation. We're to be workers, to improve it. We're to take, uh, money, a gift from God, a means of exchange and use it to further God's kingdom, but also to enjoy and to benefit our relationships and use it in a way that honors him. Um, even giving it away. And so it doesn't mean that we can't enjoy it. It just means that we seek the wisdom of the master as the steward, as we're making decisions. Another implication stewards are accountable. Romans 1412 tells us that each of us will give an account to God for how we manage his resources. Did we use them to advance his kingdom and care for others and reflect his character, or did we waste them on selfish pursuits? Here's one more. Stewards live with an eternal perspective. Instead of focusing on temporal wealth, stewards invest in things that have eternal significance. Listen to Jesus words in Matthew 619 to 21, where he says, lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. Earthly wealth is fleeting, but how we use it can absolutely have an eternal impact. My friend Randy Alcorn writes in his incredible book, The Treasure Principle. He says, and I quote, you can't take it with you, but you can send it on ahead. More of those implications of stewardship in just a bit, but something to think about today as we accept our really high calling of being a money manager for the King of Kings. All right, let's get back to the phones. Let's go to Alabama. Hi, Jerry. Go ahead. Sir.
S3: I've been a.
S4: Student of Barry Beckett forever.
S1: Ah. Very good.
S4: Got a great problem. I have a question I'm not sure about. My wife and I thought about buying a piece of property. We have a lake house, and there's a piece of property beside us. The older gentleman kind of let it grow up and go down. And he's 76 years old, but he's still living there. So is it a wise thing to make him an offer and to buy that property, like in a life estate where he could live there until he dies? And I'm just curious about the pros and cons.
S1: Mhm. Uh, you know, it could be um, what is your goal. So you would buy it to be able to have it as a property you would use in the future. Um, are you thinking about its use prior to his passing?
S4: Well, prior to his passing, it'd be his totally delivered. And enjoy. We won't touch or do anything. If he passed, we'd like to own it beside of ours. And an improvement. Like an investment.
S1: Okay. And then, are you planning on moving in at at some point, or would it be a second property for you?
S4: It'd be a third or fourth property for us.
S1: Got it. And so is it more of an investment for you or is it, uh, you know, something you'd use more of? Okay. Okay. Got it. Um. And is he, uh, needing to cash out right now or what is his status?
S4: I'm not sure. I hadn't approached him with the value yet because I wasn't sure exactly how much to offer. I guess if I wasn't sure if the property is worth 250, should I offer him Frame 125. Because, you know, I don't know if he'll be in there five minutes or 15 years, you know, and if there's a life estate. I'm curious too. If he lived 3 or 4 years, then had to go in a nursing home, could they come back and reclaim the property? I wasn't sure exactly how that works.
S1: Yeah. Very good. Um, so a couple of things. Yeah. I think, you know, the benefits are a potential discount. Now, you want to you want to do the right thing and, you know, not undercut him. Uh, you know, in a way that is not appropriate. But I think, you know, often a buyer will allow a seller to retain a life estate, and the purchase price is reduced as a part of the process because, you know, they're the seller is motivated to sell because they still retain the right to live on the property. And in exchange for that, often lower the selling price. I wouldn't typically see it that dramatic, you know, by 50%, but certainly some acknowledgement, um, you know, the obviously there's no immediate property management responsibilities on your part because the seller remains responsible for maintaining the property. And then there's an estate planning advantage for the seller because, you know, it allows them to stay in the home, retain some of the rights, and that can assist with Medicaid planning or even avoiding probate. So, you know, that's helpful. I think, you know, the downsides of giving the life estate to the seller is just the uncertainty of the timing. And you acknowledge that it you know, when you will gain full access to the property, who knows? It could extend for many years in terms of, you know, being able to take possession, you've got limited control over the property. Um, and so you can't sell it, renovate it, rent it out. Uh, you've obviously got market value risk because market conditions may, you know, may change. Uh, there's of course the maintenance and repairs. And then I think to your point, um, you know, there is the, the legal consideration. So it would be really important to work with a real estate attorney to ensure the terms are clearly outlined, including the responsibilities for taxes and maintenance. So I'm on board with this. I would check with an estate planning attorney, though, just to make sure you understand the implications with. Great to have you with us today on faith and finance live. By the way, we're not live today. We're away from the studio, so don't call in. But we have some great questions that we lined up in advance. By the way, this ministry is entirely listener supported. That means we rely on your financial gifts and support to do what we do on the air every day. If you consider a gift, we'd certainly be grateful. Just head to our website. Faith. Com that's faith. Dot com and click the give button. Thanks in advance. Uh, let's see here. Uh, before we go back to the phones, I'm sharing just a moment ago that there are real implications to understanding our role as stewards of God's resources. You know, when we accept that role as steward, uh, it changes everything about how we view and handle God's money. I mentioned that, uh, stewards have responsibilities. Not right. Stewards are accountable. Stewards live with an eternal perspective. They're also faithful in small things. Jesus teaches in Luke 1610, one who is faithful in a very little, is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. Faithful stewards manage even the smallest resources with care, knowing that God sees and rewards our faithfulness. Uh, stewards hold loosely and give generously. You see, when we recognize that everything belongs to God, it becomes easier to hold our possessions with an open hand. We give generously as stewards, knowing that what we offer is already God's in the first place, and in doing so, we reflect his generosity and trust him to provide for our needs, keeping in mind that ultimately, he's the ultimate giver and we're created in his image. We're image bearers of God himself. I like to think we're most like him when we're giving. Finally, stewards don't take credit. What do I mean by that? Well, I would take you to Luke 12. Jesus tells the parable. You know it well of a man who hoards wealth, focusing on his possessions instead of being what it says in the parable rich toward God. The man takes full credit for his success, failing to acknowledge God's provision. You hear him using words like I and my repeatedly as he talks about what he's done to generate this prosperity. Well, in contrast, good stewards recognize that everything we have comes from God, and we give him credit for any success. Even the power to create wealth comes from him. And so think about that today as you accept your role as steward. Let's move from giving head knowledge and consent to this idea of God owning it all. And let's allow that to translate into how we actually make decisions and manage God's money on a daily basis. All right, back to the phones we go. Let's go to Texas. Hi, Wayne. Thanks for your patience. Go ahead.
S5: Uh. Thank you. Uh, I was calling my wife will be 62, uh, in August. She's 61, obviously. And, uh, I was thinking about. We were thinking about her taking her Social security. She's retired. Uh, but we still file jointly. I didn't know if it would be taxed since I still work.
S1: Yeah, it certainly, uh, can be. And it's going to have to do with, uh, the amount of income that you earn. So let's start with just her taking the benefits early. So she would be taking these based on her own work record. And then she you recognize that she'd get about a, somewhere around a 30% reduction in that benefit by taking it early.
S5: Right.
S1: Okay.
S5: As opposed to being 67 I think 67 is her full retirement.
S1: Yeah, exactly. Okay. So you just need to think through that and and make sure that that makes sense to lock in that reduced benefit. Now in terms of the taxation, uh, basically the taxability of those benefits, if you will, depends on what's called your combined income. So when you combine all of your income, if that's between 32,000 and 44,000, then up to 50% of the benefits may be taxable. If your combined income, and I suspect it would putting it all together exceeds 44,000, then that's going to be up to 85% of the benefits may be taxable. Um, so you would likely, you know, be paying tax on 85% of those benefits that she's taking.
S5: Would that also be if she waited till full retirement? It would be the same thing. Right?
S1: That's exactly right.
S5: If I'm still working. So because I was under the impression that it was not taxed if she doesn't work. But that's not true.
S1: That's not true. No. It really has to do with, um, your combined income. Okay. And when you look at. And that does include your Social Security benefits in that calculation as well.
S5: Very good. Well thank you.
S1: All right. Thanks for your call today. And by the way, it's up to 50% of those benefits that would be factored into that combined income number. So yeah take a look at that and just make sure you plan ahead for that. Because that could obviously reduce what you're expecting to have come in on a on a monthly basis. Thanks for your call today. You know, as we were talking a moment ago, just about the implications of stewardship, uh, it does cause us to want to step back and think that if every spending decision is ultimately a spiritual decision because I'm managing God's money, what does that mean for my daily, uh, you know, allocation? What does that mean for my budget? Because here's the reality. Ultimately, what you spend God's money on is the most accurate reflection, in my view, of what you value and ultimately where you've placed your trust. And the question is, does that really line up with what's most important to me? You know, if you were to take your spending plan, maybe it's your budget or, uh, you know, you were to take a printout of, you know, whatever your primary account is that you, you spend out of, and you just take a look at those big categories on where you're spending God's money. Does that really reflect what is most important to you, and if not, what changes are in order? I think the other consideration we need to make is, you know, does this really line up with our values and our priorities? We talk a lot about goals, and goals are fine so long as they're originally set by us. Prayerfully considering what God's doing in our life and as believers, what are our values and how do we let our values then inform the goals that we're setting? And then ultimately, in a very practical way, those those financial decisions we're making on a daily basis, we need to think through that. And so often I think we skip past that and we just kind of spend without a real plan. And ultimately we're not going to end up in the destination we want. So give that some thought today as you think about your own spending, especially now, where it's more challenging than ever. All right, let's head back to the phones. We'll go to Louisiana and welcome Mike to the broadcast. Go ahead sir.
S6: Uh, yes, I'm on Social Security disability. And when I was in a different state, I had just Medicare. And, uh, for a supplement, I had Medicaid and I had like two surgeries that I needed and there was no problem to get them. And then now that they've, uh, made it where regular insurance companies like Humana and all these different companies, uh, have a part in the Medicaid or Medicare Advantage or whatever. They've denied me a surgery that a surgeon said I need for my spine, that really my back really hurts. I was wondering if I could go just back to regular Medicare and Medicaid as a supplement somehow. Because they don't deny, like, these insurance companies, you know, they're just they're out to make money. They're a business. And they're denying folks.
S1: Yeah. So you can switch back to original Medicare and Medicaid after enrolling in a Medicare Advantage plan. Uh, there would be certain conditions and time frames involved in that. So there's a Medicare advantage. Disenrollment period where you can switch back to original Medicare. During the Medicare annual enrollment period, that's between October 15th and December 7th. So that would be the time that you would drop your Medicare Advantage and re enroll in original Medicare. There's also a Medicare open enrollment period. So there's other issues there with regard to Medicaid eligibility and guaranteed issues. So I think your next step is probably to contact Medicare directly at one 800 Medicare and talk through this with them. And then you can start the enrollment process. We'll be right back. So glad to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. Our team is away today, so don't call in. But we lined up some great questions in advance and we'll be going to those here in just a moment. Let me also remind you that the advice that I give each day on this program is general in nature. We offer principles and ideas that apply at a high level. They are not personalized. So that's why you should always seek professional financial advice. And if you'd like to find a professional who shares your values, we of course, here at Faith and Finance Live recommend the Certified Kingdom Advisor designation. These are men and women who've met high standards, and they've been trained to bring a biblical worldview of financial decision making. You can find one at Faith. Com now let's head to the phone calls we have lined up in Alabama. Matthew. Go ahead.
S7: Yeah, I've got a question. Uh, I know what the Bible says about our finances. Of course we need more and more, but I have a question about the, um, the church, the, um, the finances of the church. Um, do we preach law or do we preach, um, grace? So I can't find the word tithing in the New Testament or in the Gospels. And I'm wondering, can we mix law with grace? What what does the what is the real teaching of the apostles? Can you help me with that?
S1: Yeah, I'd be delighted to. I mean, you will see reference to the tithe in the New Testament. Jesus mentions the tithe. But, uh, you, uh, to the first part of your question, uh, we are absolutely no longer under the Law of Moses. We're under the law of Christ. And so we don't give out of obligation because of the law of Moses. I think we have to look to the whole counsel of Scripture, and certainly that includes the New Testament to say, what should our posture be toward giving at this point as believers on this side of the cross? And I think the the big idea there is to recognize that Jesus raises the bar in every case. And I think that includes our giving. I mean, the the model we see of giving is around to whom much is given, much is required. You know, we talked about the the widow's mite. You know, the most famous giver in the Bible. We don't know her name, but we know she gave out of her poverty. And Jesus celebrated her heart posture in her giving. And she gave sacrificially. So I think that should be a a hallmark of our giving, where to give proportionately to what God has entrusted to us. But we do. We give cheerfully, not out of, not under compulsion. That's clear in the New Testament. And so I don't think we need to take a legalistic approach to it. And yet I think this idea of systematic giving, starting with the local church, based on our increase using the tithe, as I'll call it, a guideline, is a very appropriate beginning place for our giving. I don't think it's the end though. I think we start there and then we go beyond that, because those of us who have seen the cross and know what Jesus did on our behalf. I think we can give as an act of worship, as an overflow of our gratitude to God, knowing that the very power to create wealth comes from God Himself. That money is one of his good creations that he entrusted to us, that he's our provider. But the act of giving is how we hold it loosely. We demonstrate our trust in him as our provider, and it's our way to be hardwired into God's activity by our generosity, participating with where he is at work and God's plan A is the local church. It's not that the the local church is has a mission to reach people for Christ. The local church is God's strategy to fulfill his mission and calling on the earth. And I think, you know, our support. There should be a beginning place, but I think we've got to find that that giving approach that is an overflow of gratitude to God and not legalistic where we're checking a box, if that makes sense.
S7: When we preach tithes, aren't we preaching legalism?
S1: Uh, it depends on the heart posture, I think. You know, you will find many churches that that preach the tithe as a beginning point. And I think, you know, we can look to Scripture and see that again. It is referenced in the New Testament. It actually, with Melchizedek, preceded the law of Moses. So I think it's very appropriate to talk about a systematic gift starting with the local church. And I think that tithe is a great guideline. My friend and author, Randy Alcorn calls the tithe the training wheels of giving. So again, I think as long as we understand that it's not out of legalism, but instead we're doing it as a cheerful giver, not under compulsion. I think it's very appropriate when a church says, hey, let's start with that systematic gift of the tithe to the local church, because we see that modeled throughout the whole of Scripture, preceding the law, in the law and referenced beyond the Law of Moses under the law of Christ by Jesus himself. But again, we have to understand why we're doing it. And just like we don't follow a lot of the traditions of the Law of Moses in other cases, because we're not under that any longer, I think the same would apply to the tithe. So ultimately, that's between you and the Lord, what you would do with your giving. But I would see that as more of a starting point than an ending point, if that makes sense. Is that helpful at all, Matthew?
S7: It is, but it isn't. So I'll just, um. I guess I'll have to leave it at that, because when you talk about Melchizedek, he was a type and shadow of the he was literally the lineage of the priesthood. So it's only it goes back to the law and the priesthood. That's why he gave that to a type and shadow of Jesus that, you know, he's paying homage to Jesus, who was you know what I'm talking about? Because you know what the word I do. Thank you very much for your time and patience.
S1: You're very welcome. And I you know, I think at the end of the day, we need to look at this being something that we need to have, you know, take up between us and the Lord. And I think, you know, you make a very clear point here that we're no longer under the law. In fact, the Old Testament giving laws went far beyond 10%. Uh, you know, when we look at it was probably about 23 and a third percent when you put all of the the tithes together. Uh, there was the, the one for the Levites. There was the one for the temple and then the one for the poor, which was every three years. So you put that together? That'd be 23 and a third percent a year. Uh, but again, I would go back to this idea that when Jesus enters the scene, he takes giving to a higher level. I would say he showed a different way of giving. I'll call it whole life generosity. He modeled that by giving his life as a sacrifice. So when he talked about money, he taught that we should give as we've been blessed. In Luke 638 he said, to whom much is given, much is required. In Luke 1248 I mentioned a moment ago, he commended the poor widow who gave her last two copper coins. He challenged the rich young ruler to give away all of his wealth. So I understand why there might be confusion around the tithe, and that's why I think it always comes back to what is giving that God honors. Uh, I think it's giving. That's cheerful. It's giving that's free. Not under compulsion. It's giving. That's sacrificial. It's giving that's proportionate and systematic. But within those guidelines, I think we have to decide what is the right amount for us. And again, it's not about a law. It's about us coming between the father and saying, God, what would you have me to do? And I would think anything less than a tithe would be missing the heart of God, at least the way I read the counsel of Scripture. So anyway, that's some thoughts for you, Matthew. I appreciate you raising the question. It's a it's a it's a very appropriate question. And I think one that's at the the center of what we do here on this broadcast every day, because my heart's desire is that we would see this role we have as stewards of God's money, as an incredibly high calling that our goal is faithfulness to opportunity, which means what have you done with what you've been given? And we've been given so much before the first dollar. We have an abundance because of our position in Christ, because we find our identity in Christ. We're then blessed with an abundance, and that's what our heart longs for. But the moment we try to put that in money, well, we're going to be left disappointed. So we see money as a tool. God is our ultimate treasure. And then we give as an overflow of worship and devotion to him. Take that, think it through, pray about it, and thanks for your call today. Let's go to Tennessee. Hi, Amy. Go ahead.
S8: Hi. I just have a quick question. So, um, I'm kind of trying to figure out right now, you know, my budget, and, um, I am contributing to a 401 K, but I was wondering whether I could, if I should just stop contributing to a 401 K and instead have just six months of emergency savings saved up first before I do that?
S1: Yeah, it's a great question, Amy. Um, so how much do you have in your emergency fund right now? How many months?
S8: Um, not even too much, but close to two months right now.
S1: Okay, good. Yeah. That's great. And you're not putting anything in the 401 K currently?
S8: I am, I'm putting 15% right now.
S9: Oh, wow.
S1: That's tremendous. Uh, and so are you getting any matching?
S8: Yeah, I am. I'm getting, like, 5%, so.
S9: Okay.
S1: But what what I'm hearing is, though, that because you're doing the 15%, you're not having anything left over, so you're not able to add to the emergency fund anymore? Is that right?
S8: Um, yes and no. It's very tight right now, but the good thing is that I am debt free. Um, because I paid off my student loan last year, so. Hallelujah. Thank the Lord.
S9: That's right.
S8: For helping me through that. Um.
S9: Well, here's where I.
S1: Would go from here. I think it's great. I would absolutely take full advantage of the matching, but beyond the matching. Now, if you can dial back other spending so that you can contribute a meaningful amount to your, your savings. So you're continuing to head towards six months expenses. That would be great. I'd rather you pull it from other places than the 401 K if you can find it. You know, maybe there's a subscription you could cancel, or maybe you you don't eat out quite as much. I mean, whatever it is. But if truly the the thing that's preventing you from really getting your emergency fund up to six months in a relatively short period of time is the 401 K contributions. I would say dial that back so that you're still getting the full match, but you're not quite doing the 15%. And then when you get up above three months expenses or perhaps close to six months, then maybe you turn that back on. But, you know, I'd rather you have a fully funded emergency fund at this point in your life than I would you putting the full 15% in the in the 401 K, as long as you're still getting the matching portion. Does that make sense?
S8: Yes it does. That's very that actually completely just helps me.
S1: Thank you so much. You're welcome. Amy. Thanks for calling and for being such a faithful listener. We appreciate it. Well, that's going to do it for us today. Faith and finance live as a partnership between Moody Radio and Faith Fi. Thank you to my amazing broadcast team. I couldn't do this without him. I hope you have a great rest of your day and we'll see you next time on Faith and Finance live.