S1: Well, do you have a question about the Bible? Do you ever wonder what we can know and understand about God? If so, you've come to the right place. Hello, friends. Welcome to Open Line with Doctor Michael Rydlewicz. He is moody Bible Institutes Brainiac, and this is Moody Radio's Bible study across America. He knows his Bible. And when you want to talk to him, you call our phone number, which is (877) 548-3675. But of course the voice is not Doctor Michael Rinderknecht, I'm Mike Fabares, I'm sitting in for doctor Reed Melnick, who is on Moody Bible Institute's Trip of Paul's Journeys, which is an amazing trip around the Mediterranean. And it is a fantastic trip. And yet for doctor, doctor, doctor Reed Melnick, he's the teacher. So you need to pray for him. Pray for him this morning because he's the he's the answer man. He's the instructor. He's the one who has all the information and he's the one who makes that trip fantastic. So pray that God would use him on that trip. He'll be back next week. But today I'm coming to you live across many of these stations of Moody Radio, and we are, as he often says, sitting around the proverbial kitchen table talking about the Bible. Whatever it is that you might have as a question regarding the Bible, God, the Christian life, something you're facing at church, in your family, whatever it is you want to think biblically about it, I'm going to do my best to help you. Mike Faber is is my name. As I said, I am the pastor of Compass Bible Church in Aliso Viejo, California. All also happened to be a graduate of Moody Bible Institute way back in the olden days. We had color photography back then, but it feels like the black and white days in my memory. Way back in the 80s, I was there at Moody Bible Institute, and I'm also one of the preachers here on Moody Radio. You'll hear me on the Focal Point radio program. We're shifting around our times just the last couple of weeks. So look us up on the Moody radio.org website and you can find out when we air on your station. I'm the author of several books, but a couple from Moody Publications. And I'll tell you what, Moody Publishing is doing a great job in this last book that I wrote for them is called envy a Big Problem you didn't Know You had, and I just wondered why they were bold enough to publish a book like that. And I'll tell you, I hope it's selling. I hope someone is buying it. Not because it's about money, because it isn't about that. It's about getting good materials in people's hands. But this particular book, I just thought, who's going to buy a book about sin? But I'll tell you what, if you're serious about your sanctification, you want to grow in your Christian life. I'll bet you haven't given much thought to envy. And if you have, you certainly need to buy the book. And if you haven't, we need to see how the insidious nature of envy kind of creeps into all that is going on in our lives. Well, anyway, as I said, our phone number that you can call and you can get on the air with me today, Mike Faber is sitting in for Doctor Michael Riedel. Nick, you can ask me a question. All you have to do is pick up your phones and call me at 87754836758775483675. Or you could send your question through our open line website. That's open line radio dot o r g open line radio.org. No spaces there. And just find that little form that says ask Michael a question and you click on that and you can write in your question to us. That's a great way to get Ahold of us here. Open line team we've got can't do this by myself. We've got Tierra who is our producer. We got Ryan there making all the dials work, making us sound good. And Anthony is the one you're going to talk to when you call us at 877548, three six, seven five. And he'll get some information for you, and he'll put you here on this board and we will get to questions. So I hope you've got, as doctor Ray Delic likes to say, your cup of coffee or your orange juice or your cornflakes or whatever it is you do in the morning to get your Saturday going and your Bible. That would be good, because we're going to study God's Word together and we're just going to go straight to the phone. So let's go to Dan in Scottsdale, Arizona, uh, listening on Wmbi online, which is awesome, which you can always do. You can always listen to Moody through the website. But Dan, today you're on the air with Mike Fabares. How can I help?
S2: Okay. My question is, what does our daily bread mean? Well, I thought it was three different things, like our food, our money, and the word of God.
S1: Okay, well, it can mean several things. I think when Jesus is teaching us to pray there in Matthew six, he's asking us to be reliant on God for all that we have. Right? As James chapter one says, every good thing. It comes from God. God is the giver of all good things. I think of John the Baptist, who says, a person can't receive even one thing unless it's given to him from heaven. John 327 and so when Jesus says, give that we're supposed to pray, here's the model prayer. Give us this day our daily bread. He's wanting us in our prayer life to be asking God, showing our reliance upon God by asking for our daily provision. And of course, we need more than bread, right? But I do think that idea is we need whatever we need right to get through our day. We need to be asking the Lord for it. As one pastor once said, you know what? If we only had the things we asked for? We need to be thinking about our prayer life regarding our daily provisions. Now it's used elsewhere. Of course, Jesus calls himself the Bread of life, and He Himself is our sustenance eternally. And so it can mean several things. But in the context of when we normally quote it daily bread, which is it's used in Matthew six and Luke 11 to describe our prayer life. It's just, it's it's just referring to our daily provisions. Dan, does that help you? I mean, there are several things that can mean. I mean, you and I can say we need the Word of God and it is like food to us. As Peter said, it's like our it's like a baby longing for milk. So I understand that it can be applied in different ways. But the phrase in the Bible, Daily Bread, which occurs one time, as I recall it, is all about our daily provisions. And we're supposed to be praying for that and showing our reliance upon the Lord because he's the giver of all good things. Dan, does that help?
S2: Thank you.
S1: Okay. All right. Let's go to Charlene now in Mississippi. You're on the air with Mike Fabares. How can I help?
S3: Thank you. I have a question concerning John. Chapter one, verse one. In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. Please focus on the phrase. The word was God. What does that mean in the Greek? And what does that mean?
S1: Well, the word, if you look down in this passage in verse 14, it says, the word became flesh and dwelt among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the only son from the father, full of grace and truth. So first we have to define what the word is, which in context is defined as God's Son, the second person of the Triune Godhead. And in the beginning of this, this prologue, here, it speaks of the word, the second person of the Godhead as being in the beginning, which is the idea of of an eternal God. I mean, that's what the word Yahweh, the proper name of God, means. He is the I am, he was, he is, he is to come. So the word right is defined that way. He was in the beginning. The word was with God. He's always been in fellowship with the triunity of God and the word. Of course, the second person of the Godhead. Though it was hard to see when he became flesh and dwelt among us, was in fact God in human form. As Paul said in Colossians, the fullness of deity dwelt in bodily form. So that's why I think that phrase is important. The word was God. And that's what we're just saying in a very poetic way. And of course, there are some Hellenistic and Greek philosophical overtones to the concept of word and a lot of commentaries. We'll talk about that. But the idea in this passage, as God is communicating to us, as it says in Hebrews chapter one, he's spoken in many portions in many ways throughout the Old Testament. But in these last days he has spoken to us in his Son. And as he comes early on and says, this is my beloved son, hear him, listen to him. So we're supposed to learn from the Lord Jesus Christ, who is eventually, obviously going to die on a cross three and a half years after his public ministry begins, and he is going to take away our sin. But this is trying to establish him as eternally existing, eternally existing in fellowship with God, right? He is God. That's how that last line is stated that he is God, that he is equal to co-equal. We say in theology to God. So in the beginning was the word. The word was with God, and the word was God. Are you still there?
S3: Oh, yes, I was listening. Okay, okay. Because I have friends that said in the beginning was the word, and the word was with God. It says, ho theos the God. And then when it says the word was God, it's just does not have a definite article in front of the word God. So I wanted to know what was the difference between putting a definite article before the word God and not having a definite article before the word God.
S1: Okay, if you look at the last penultimate word, the second to last word in verse one, the word was, do you see that there the past tense of the verb to be? When you have the verb to be in the Greek language, and anybody can tell you this, they take first year Greek grammar. You have to decide in in a sentence, syntactically, grammatically, what is the subject and what is the object. And to do that, to differentiate, you use what's called an anaethetus noun. And that's what's being said here. Is that the the object right is now without a, um, an article. So when it says the word was God, right? The word gets the article because it's trying to say it's not. God was the word. We wouldn't know how to say it. Because like when you answer the phone and they say, is this Charlene? And you say, it is me, that's not good English, you should say it is I, because the case of the noun is supposed to be in the subject case with the verb to be. It's like an equal sign. Well, if we don't know what the subject is, Greek distinguishes the two by putting the article in front of it. So the word right gets the article because it's showing that it is in the subject case, and because the object has to be in the subject case. In this case, Theos has to be in the subject case, it does not get the article. And I can just show you throughout the book of John there are several times the word theos for various grammatical reasons. There's about six different reasons that you don't have the article. You have an antithesis word theos. And clearly we're talking about the one and only God. We're not talking about gods. There's no mention of the plurality of a bunch of gods here in the book of John. There's obviously one theology in John that there's one God. So this is a grammatical feature, and it indicates what how you're supposed to read the sentence. We wouldn't know how to read the sentence in Greek unless you had an article in front of one of those two nouns, because they're supposed to be both of them in the subject case, and because in English we can just put the first one in the sentence to say which one is the subject. Greek does not work that way. Greek is not about word order as much as it's about showing us by the case of the noun where it belongs in the sentence. Now that may sound technical, and I understand that that's a little technical, but that's the answer. And a Jehovah Witness with a New World translation is going to say, no, this is the word. Jesus was just one of the gods. He wasn't really equal to God. Well, the whole book is about Jesus being equal to God. That's what it's all about. The son, though he didn't look like the second person of the Godhead because he's in humility, taking on human flesh so that he might represent us on the cross. He certainly was. And everything about the Bible is consistent in saying Jesus is co-equal with the Eternal Father and he was God. So I know you've heard that, and I know Jehovah's Witnesses will come to your door and tell you that. But unfortunately, even the guys that translated for the Jehovah's Witnesses, the New World Translation, they did not study Greek. They were two out of the three. I don't I don't even think took Greek classes. One took like an introductory class, and I think one of them bombed out of school. I forget, but they don't know the language. And so we trust the people that know the language. And I think anybody, after at least two semesters of Koine Greek or first century Greek, they're going to tell you, of course, we don't have an article in front of God, but it doesn't mean that we're supposed to read it as a plural. Does that help? Charlene?
S3: Oh, yes. Yes, it helps me to understand that, um, it's almost the now becomes almost an adjective. It describes what the word is. Correct. Right? Totally. God, he's totally godlike. He's fully God because God is saying to us without the article is describing exactly who the word is.
S1: Correct. And if we didn't have if we had two, which is against the rules of Greek grammar, if we had two articles, if it said the word and the god, we wouldn't know which one is supposed to be in the subject case in this phrase. And so that's why we have to have an article. And again, if you if you went through this and opened a Greek New Testament, you'd see there are plenty examples of an an arthurus or a word theos without the article. And so that's not unusual because there are several rules of grammar where you do not put it in and it doesn't make it a plural. Okay, I hope that helps. Thank you so much for the call. And the number is (877) 548-3675. And I hate to say, but I've lost connection here with the studio, so I'm running blind. But if you've got a call for me there, Anthony, and to hear a, I guess we'll go to break. Let's do that and we can fix our computer problems and we can make the rest of this show happened. I'm Mike Faber, sitting in for Doctor Michael Riedel. You're listening to Open Line on Moody Radio. The number (877) 548-3675. We'll be back right after this.
S4: Do you want to read the Bible but don't know where to begin? Or maybe you just want to get more out of your reading of the scriptures. Well, have I got a book for you? It's called 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy the Bible. This innovative guide presents 14 practical principles to bring Scripture to life. Give a gift of any amount and we'll send you a copy just to say thanks. Call (888) 644-7122 or visit Open Line radio.org. Ministry isn't a solo effort. You know my voice. But if you could see inside our studio, you'd see a team behind the scenes putting open line on the air. Look a little further and you'd see into the homes of listeners like you who give monthly to make this ministry possible. And when you join our team of Kitchen Table Partners, I'll send you a Bible study moment email every other week with tips and encouragement. Become a kitchen table partner today by calling (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org.
S1: Well, welcome back to Open Line with Doctor Michael Riedel. I'm Mike Faber is sitting in and at that first answer sounded too technical. Don't worry. If your question is simple, I'd love to take it. I'd love to have you give us a call at (877) 548-3675, and we'll take your question. Let's get back to calls. Now, Robert, you're on the air with Mike Faber. How can I help?
S5: Hey. Howdy. Hey, my my question won't be as technical as the last one, but.
S1: Okay. All right. What you.
S5: Got? You know, um, uh, it seems like an apparent inconsistency. Reading revelation today, which I read 100,000 times, probably just popped out to me. Um, in the 14th chapter, 15 through 17, John is talking about seeing an angel that, um, comes out of the temple, and he's saying various things. I think telling another angel to put the sickle into the earth. But then I remembered, I go over to revelation 21, it's 2122 where John says, there is no temple right in heaven, that God is the because of God. You don't really need an actual temple, so it seems like a bit of an inconsistency there. What do you think?
S6: Well, it's a.
S1: Play on words because in chapter 21, well, let's just go back to the concept of temple. Even in the book of Hebrews, the idea of an earthly temple like Solomon's temple or the tabernacle that Moses had built before that this is simply a representation of the heavenly realm. And the book of Hebrews talks about that. It's a reflection of the heavenly, the temple, the place where God lives. Okay. Now in revelation 21, we've gone through chapters six through 19 where all this is playing out on earth, and this discussion about this heavenly temple here, angel coming out. That's fine. A temple in heaven. But here it says in verse two, the holy city, the New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. Here it comes, the ultimate dwelling place of the righteous of those who have been made and declared righteous by Christ. I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, behold, here's the key phrase the dwelling place of God is with man, okay? He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. That idea right there, the concept of God dwelling. I mean, you can just equate that with the temple. God's dwelling place is the temple in heaven, right? That's where God is in the earthly construction of a building was an example of that. Here is where a representation in Solomon knew God wasn't going to live there, right? God, you know, too big. You can't contain him in a building. But here's a picture of the heavenly abode of God on earth in Jerusalem. But now the dwelling place, the temple of God, is with man. The temple right where he dwells is here among them. So yes, there's no temple anymore, because God has come down to dwell with us on the new earth. And that city is itself because it's described as a cube. Later in this chapter, we understand that that is the representation of the cubed shape Holy of Holies. The very presence of God will be on earth and dwell among us. So the idea is it's sort of a play on words to say there's no temple because the temple becomes earth. Earth is where God is, and God is living here now on earth with us. And I would say, though, there's some debate about this, I would say specifically in the person of the glorified Lord Jesus Christ, the the glorified Christ that is seen by John on the island of Patmos in that vision in chapter one is the glorified state, not the humbled state of Jesus in his incarnation, but his glorified state, where we're going to have this beaming Christ, that's going to be the sunlight and the light of the whole world, and that one is going to live in the middle of this cube shaped city, which is the temple that now becomes the dwelling place and the jewel of the of the key capital city of the New Earth. So that's what's happening there in revelation 21. And that's why the temple ceases to be, because we don't need it anymore. God is going to live among men. And that's the great thing. No mediatorial work of a building or a priest, or in our case, as we look long distance, as Paul said through a glass dimly. Right, we're going to we're going to be face to face with him. And that's the reality of the temple coming to Earth. Does that help Robert?
S5: Maybe, maybe, maybe if I have thought it out a little bit further, I might have come to that. Yeah I see. Yeah. Right after I asked the question, I was thinking it could be talking about two different, uh, times or places. But, you know, in that, in that chapter 14, though, 214 revelation, it talks about those that, uh, have accepted the, the mark of the beast. They'll be tormented in hell, I guess. And and the holy angels and the lamb will watch that I think didn't seem like that. Something you would want to watch? Or be party to you their.
S1: Tribulation ever to come on the earth. That's what's going on there. In chapter 14. We still have heaven operational and often depicted as the dwelling place of God, being a heavenly temple, a spiritual temple. So that's what's going on there. Robert. Sorry we lost you. Call us back. We can finish that conversation if we can get you in. Let's go to Joy now on line four from Florida. Welcome, Joy. How can I help? You're on with Mike Fabares.
S7: Hi. I was in a Bible study this week, and one of the members in the study said that the Holy Spirit created the heavens and the earth. And I was like, wait a minute. I thought it was God. I mean, I understand the Trinity, but she's specifically dogmatically stated that. And I was like, where is that in Scripture? So that's my question. Okay.
S1: Chapter one of Genesis verse number two. Okay. God creates as a statement here in verse number one, God has created the heavens and the earth. And it says, the earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And so this is the picture of the Holy Spirit kind of being the actual applied work of God on earth to make this happen. Now, all the members of the Trinity are described as being a part of creation. Think again of the passage we started the program with in John chapter one. We quoted verse one, but verse three says, all things were made through him the word. And without him without the word, without Jesus is not anything was made that has been made. Okay, so Jesus is an agent of creation. The Holy Spirit seems to be the application of God's creative work, and the father is the architect of creation. So we have in Scripture all three members of the Godhead involved in the creative act. And I think the tip comes from chapter one, verse two of Genesis, that the Spirit of God was over all of this when all these things started to be, there was an expanse, right of the atmosphere and the waters and the earth and all these things happened. And he's like the tool that God uses here. And again, he didn't need to do this. He could speak a word and it all just happens. But he does this to show us. We learn in the Mosaic Law, a pattern of work and rest, which we'd have no indication of unless God had made the world in six days and then, quote unquote, rested on the seventh. So God is showing us a form of working, creativity, exercising dominion, being productive, being creative, all those things God is doing by using all members of the Godhead father, architect, son, agent of creation, and then the spirit, the application of the work of building the world. All of that, I believe, is the separation of of tasks and the division of labor in the creative act so that God could then say to mankind, work for six days, make sure your body rests on the seventh. Later becomes in the Mosaic Law, a sign of the covenant between Israel and God. But here at the very beginning, it's just a pattern of knowing your batteries are going to run down after six days of work. You better rest on on a seventh day. You better have a pattern of work and rest. So I think that's where it comes from. Genesis chapter one, verse two, that the Spirit of God is involved in creation, and we know the son was involved as well as Colossians chapter one says, and Hebrews chapter one, and John chapter one. So Jesus is a creator in the sense that he is somehow this is how we like to say it in theology, the agent of creation, right? He's giving life to human beings, as it says in verse four of John one in him was the life, and that life was the light of men. So he comes and brings life. He breathes life into man. It says, God does that, but it's actually specifically the son who is providing this life to human beings. So all three persons of the Godhead. And Genesis one two is our key. Does that help Joy?
S7: Well, it does, but I'm still thinking, wait a minute. Did you say at any point that he was the creator? Well, he's involved. He was. He was the application of it.
S1: Yes. That's what I believe, the application of it. Because God is credited with creation. And God, you have to remember, is a triune being, right? He's a triune, triune being. Right. He's father, son, and Holy Spirit. So we know in shorthand we can say things like Hebrews chapter three, verse four. Every house is built by someone, and the builder of all things is God. So we know that God, the Triune God, is the builder of all things. But we learn in Scripture that the spirit had some work in it as he hovered over the face of the waters. Right. That's on earth. That's not in heaven. So the spirit was dispatched to this creative work of time and space, and somehow this, this sentient third person of the Godhead gets involved in it. The extent of that, I don't know. And even the relation between the members of the Trinity is debated. But we know the Holy Spirit was involved, the son was involved, and the father, of course, is clearly involved. And all three together, we can say in shorthand, God made the world so we can say the Holy Spirit is the creator. But I think we need to be more specific. And I said, he's the application of God's creative work in building the world in six days. So that's how I would put it. And that's just more of a careful statement. A more loose statement would say, I could say Jesus made the world. And that's true, right? But he's the agent of creation. Father is the architect of creation. The spirit is the application of God's creative work. And I hope that helps. Joy, that is complicated. But that's the way God is. It complicated being, that is for sure. I'm Doctor Mike Favara, sitting in for Doctor Michael Wright Melnick here on Moody Radio. We've got a great producer. Tegyra is making sure it all works. She's going to bring in the mailbag in a few minutes, and you're listening to Open Line on Moody Radio, and we'll be back right after this.
S4: We're so glad that Febc partners with Open Line with Doctor Michael Radonich, bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how Far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world at febc. Org on their weekly podcast. Until all have heard with Ed Cannon, you'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again, you can hear the podcast when you visit Dawg. That's fake dawg.
S1: Welcome back to Open Line. I'm doctor Mike Faber as I'm filling in for Doctor Michael Riedel today. He's out in the Mediterranean somewhere teaching about Paul's missionary journeys. What a great trip that must be. But we are in the mailbag segment. That's when we answer questions that you've sent us through the website. And joining me today. Tierra, how are you? It's mailbag time. Are you ready?
S8: I am doing very well, thank you. And yes, I am ready for the mailbag. How are you today, Mike?
S1: I'm doing okay. Yeah, I'm doing just fine. Great. I'm assuming our mailbag is full. We've got a lot of lot of questions. I'm assuming we.
S8: Do. We do. And we'll jump right in with Carlos from Florida. And Carlos tells us that he has accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior, but he wants to know what will God judge us on on the day of judgment?
S6: Well, yeah.
S1: There are definitely two primary judgments that we should think about. One is the great White Throne judgment, and that is for non-Christians in revelation chapter 20. So if you have put your trust in Jesus Christ, if you're one of his. Right now you are a follower of Christ. You've repented of your sins. You've put your trust in Jesus. The good news is you don't have to be in that line. Anyone whose name is not written in the Lamb's Book of Life, it says, is in that line to be judged according to what they've done, according to what they knew, according to the responsibility they had. And so everyone's going to have a different judgment. But thank God, praise be to God that we will not be in that line. Romans chapter eight, verse one. There's no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. And that line is for condemnation. So no great white throne. But there's another throne. It's the throne of Christ. It's called the Bema Seat of Christ in second Corinthians 510 and it says, we all must appear before the judgment seat of Christ. Now that particular picture is about us as Christians living out our Christian life and as it's put in first Corinthians three. Our decisions, our choices, our investment, our stewardship, our faithfulness. How we lived out our Christian life based on what the Lord has put before us in terms of talent and opportunity. All of that is going to be judged, and it's either going to be considered by Jesus Christ gold, silver and precious stones, something he thinks is laudable and affordable and something he is going to praise his servants for, or things that are wood, hay and straw, and those things are going to be burned up, they won't matter. So if you've lived your Christian life, say, for ten years, let's just think about that, right? Say, Carlos, you're living there in Florida and you've been a Christian for ten years, right? You may be doing several laudable things serving the Lord at your job, representing Christ, being salt and light in your neighborhood, maybe a church you're serving there faithfully. All those things are going to be rewarded. But maybe the things you've done that you think, oh, that was not good. I shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't have been involved in that. That was not appropriate for me as a child who got all those things, they're going to be burned up. They will not be a part of your judgment. And what we want is we want to hear well done, good and faithful servant. So we want to live faithfully and God is going to reward us accordingly. Some people think that we're going to get to heaven and everyone's going to have the same response from Jesus. But that's not true. Not all of us are going to hear, well done. Some of us are going to get perhaps a that was okay, and some of us are going to get man, that wasn't very good at all. And yet you trusted in me and come on in. All of us are going to bear fruit. But the question is, is it 30 fold, 60 fold or 100 fold? And we're going to be rewarded accordingly. So the word judgment is used in both. One is the judgment that you might consider a criminal getting, and the other is someone who might have made a chili for the county fair. And what kind of judgment is he going to have? Well, it's going to be based on rewards. And the better the pot of chili, right? The greater the reward. So we want to live our Christian lives as good stewards. Tiara. That's what it's all about.
S8: That is a wonderful answer, Mike. thank you for that. And yes, we do all want to hear well done, good and faithful servant. Thank you. And I also have just a brief announcement. Moody Bible Institute and Chosen People Ministries is going to present a summit on opposing anti-Semitism, and that is going to be held right here on the Moody Bible Institute campus in Chicago on Saturday, November 9th, 2024. You can get more information on our website. Open Line radio.org. Thank you.
S1: Let me just say a word about that. Teairra. You know, there's no room for anti-Semitism among Christians, right? The Jewish people, though they are, as Romans 11 says, if they reject Christ, they may be enemies of the gospel. Right? But as it regards God's promise, his election, his covenant, they're beloved for the sake of the forefathers and the gifts and callings of God. It says there in that passage they're irrevocable, and one day they're going to be grafted back in to the great work of God through Jesus Christ. And it says in the last generation we're going to see a massive revival of of Jewish people coming to faith in Christ. So we know that they are a friend of God in the sense that they are God's chosen nation. And they threw that nation, have provided us Jesus Christ, right? We all trust in Him as Gentiles. But here's the good news, right? One day, even though they're resistant to the gospel, many of them now we're going to see the last generation turning to Christ. And we always, whoever's a friend of God ought to be a friend of ours. So that's an important reminder. And what a great conference this is going to be. And I know if Doctor Michael Riedel is a part of it, it's going to be great.
S8: Thank you. Yes, he is, along with doctor Mark Jobe and Carl Claussen and so many other gifted speakers. Thank you. And we'll go back to the mailbag. We have another question from Robin in Ohio who listens on Wtxf. Her question is my my husband told me Christ had a tattoo on his thigh based on revelations 1916. Is this a tattoo?
S6: Well, I don't know that.
S1: It's a tattoo, but it's certainly our words that are written right. King of kings and Lord of Lords. So it says it's written on his thigh. I don't know if there is. I always picture, like the motorcycle riders, you know, the old in the old days, the and probably still today, the motocross riders there in the dirt. They always have their their team name or some kind of advertisement there on the leathers of their thigh, and they can see it as they're seated on that motorcycle. Well, here he's pictured as mounted on this horse and it says there is written King of kings and Lord of Lords. I don't know that that's a tattoo, but I know that it's written there for them to read in that scene at the battle of Armageddon in Revelation 19. So I think we're left to see it, and it's going to be able we'll be able to see it. We're going to come back with him that day, and we'll be able to know whether that's some kind of permanent inscription or whether that's part of the clothing that he's wearing. But I can't tell you definitively unfortunately. But a great passage.
S8: Thank you for that response. And lastly, we have Pamela from Ohio who listens on Wtxf. Psalm 37 four says, take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Does this mean the Lord will give you what you want? Related to the desires of your heart, desires that you already have, or that he will implant the possibly new desires that you should have in your heart?
S6: What a great.
S1: Question, because some people do quote Psalm 37 four and they think, well, you know what? If I just pray to the Lord and kind of am happy with him, then whatever I want, I want to be the the best baseball player in the world. Well, then God's going to give me that, because that's my desire. I don't think that's what it's saying. So I think just as she said, as Pamela said, when you look at your heart as a Christian, you know this as you're following the Lord. God is implanting in your heart all kinds of desires that are good and some of my desires right to be the best salesman at the job, or, you know, to get promotions or to have a raise at work or to somehow have drive some really nice car. It may not be that God's will is that I'm, you know, I'm the best baseball player in the league, right? It may be that I just learn to be who God has made me to be. So what God is going to do, I think, is change our hearts. And I think prayer in general does that drawing near to the Lord does that. And Psalm 37 four says, here's the thing you should do. Delight yourself in the Lord. And in the end, I think what you'll realize is that the things that you desire as you walk with him, right? You're going to see those given to you. Well, the desires are given, and also the granting of those desires is given are given. Think of Paul in Second Corinthians chapter 12. Right. He had this thorn in the flesh, he calls it, but it was a chronic illness of some kind. Well, he prayed, he said he earnestly prayed that God would take it away. So that was his desire. Did God give him that? No. Did he delight in the Lord? Yes. But then God changed his heart and gave him. Think about this now. Gave him the ability to say with contentment, right? God's grace is sufficient. I'll delight in this now. I'll delight in weakness in this chronic illness that I have, because I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I know that God will get me through this life and use it for good. So God had to change his desire and then he was okay with that. Not only okay, he said, I'll delight in it, I'll boast in it. So I think delighting yourself in the Lord is the key thing we can hold tightly on to. And then saying, God, give me the right desires and then grant those desires. But sometimes our desires need to change.
S8: That's very good. Thank you. So we are shaped and molded to be more like Christ. And as that happens, our desires change to represent who he is and what he's doing in our lives. That's right, that's right.
S6: Well, that was.
S1: That was the mailbag. Today, when we have run out of time, that sure went fast. But I appreciate it. Teairra, that's a great thing for you to write in to us. If you do have a question, you can go to our website and see that. Openline. Org, this is Moody Radio. The numbers (877) 548-3675. That's the number to call after the break. And we're going to have a great time with more of your questions coming up right after this.
S4: When autumn rolls around, people are always interested in the Jewish fall holy days. That's why Chosen People Ministries is offering a free booklet, Celebrate Israel's High Holidays. This booklet explores the fall Jewish high holidays of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot. Don't miss out, just go to the Open Line website. Open line radio.org. Scroll down and click on the link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries that will take you to a page where you can sign up for your very own copy of Celebrate Israel's High Holidays.
S1: Welcome back to Open Line. My name is Mike Fabares. I'm the pastor of Compass Bible Church in Aliso Viejo. Also, the voice you hear on Focalpoint radio here on Moody Network. And I'm filling in for Doctor Michael Readerlink, who's out teaching all about the book of acts on the Mediterranean. And he's helping people understand the geography and the reality of the historicity of the book of acts in the Bible. What a great trip. What a privilege for those that are on it. I'm so glad to be sitting in and filling in for Doctor Michael Riedel. Nick, if you have a question about the Bible or the Christian life, give me a call (877) 548-3675. We've got tons of questions here lined up. So let's go to line six. Gary, you're on the air with Mike Fabares. How can I help?
S6: Hi, Mike. I just want.
S9: To say I love the show.
S6: Oh, good. Fantastic.
S9: My question my question is, I. I just found out the other day that my brother doesn't believe there's a heaven. Now. I think he believes in God, but I don't think he doesn't believe that there's a heaven. How can I convince him that there is one?
S6: Wow, that is.
S1: A good question. And you know, when it comes to the question of the afterlife, I think what we have to remember is that God is a God who has always implanted within the heart a stamp of eternity. And we've got to remember that, and we've got to remember that God has always left himself a witness in the reality of who we are as human beings. And in fact, we should be telling people that if we read the Word of God, we can see in it so many things that comport with what we what we understand. Can you hear me? You're still there.
S9: I can hear you.
S6: Okay.
S9: My brother's right here with me, too. Oh.
S6: Okay. Yeah, well, we'll put.
S1: You want to put him on for a second? Let me ask him a couple of questions.
S9: Yeah, he's right here.
S6: Okay. Hey, tell tell.
S1: Tell me why it is that you doubt what God's Word says about the afterlife. Why would you doubt what what the Lord tells us?
S6: I have a core belief system that's based on something I see, smell, touch or feel. And just because somebody tells me something doesn't necessarily make me believe it.
S1: Okay, but you believe in justice. Right? You do believe in justice, and you can't see that there's nothing tangible. You can't see it. You can't. Your five senses can't see justice.
S6: As far as. What do you mean?
S1: Well, if someone does something, someone steals your car today, right? You think there should be justice, right? If he says, I got your car, I'm going to keep it. Your sense of justice would be. I think that there should be some penalty for that. And he'd say, no, I got away with it. I took your car. It's fine. There's no justice. And when you call the cops, you want them to do what is just. Well, that's not a thing, right? There's nothing temporal about it. There's nothing you can taste, touch, smell. You just can't. Right. This is. This is a concept and the concept of justice or love or any number of things. The virtues that I think all of us know are true. They come from the invisible God who's created us in his image. And those are the kinds of things that you insist upon, but you insist upon them without seeing any of them. Right? You understand this to be a reality, not because of anything in the tangible world, but because this is the way God has made you. And according to Ecclesiastes, God says he's also made you to put this eternity, this sense of eternity in your heart. And so there are realities that we want to deny because we think they're irrelevant. I don't want to think about the afterlife. It's irrelevant to my life today. But justice, which is also an invisible reality. You say, well, I want justice. I'm going to apply this sense of what fairness is and what makes sense as a good and rational response. See, in the jungle, the the monkeys, you know, the giraffes, the gorillas, whatever. They don't have justice. They don't care about justice. It's dog eat dog out there because they're not made in the image of God. But we believe in concepts of virtue and beauty and love and justice, and these things come from us being made in the image of God. So we have to look to the God who made us and say, God, tell us about the future, which may seem irrelevant after we die. And God says it's not irrelevant because there's two realities you're either going to be punished for your sins and justice will be held on you, or you're going to be rewarded, and you're going to have a reward based on what Jesus Christ has done for you. So there's a million things if you start looking in your life. And I would I would want you to do this. How many things do you do and insist upon that you can't see, you can't touch, you can't taste, you can't smell it. These are realities that all of us live by, and we insist upon them because we're not a bunch of animals in the jungle. We're beings made in the image of God. And we seek these higher ideals that are not subject to the natural world, but we insist upon them because they have bearing on our lives. Now, Jesus says, what has bearing on your life when you die is where you're going to end up. And there's a heaven and there's a hell, and you need to understand which one you need to to be in. Which I think should be an obvious answer. And the only way to get there, as it says, as Jesus himself says, who rose from the dead historically proved inaccurate, is you better put your trust in me. There's no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved, and you must be saved, or you're going to incur the judgment of all of your sins by the God who made you. And when you say, I shouldn't be judged, he's going to say, well, you threw your whole life, wanted people to be judged when they did, what was wrong? And you thought this wasn't a real reality for the afterlife. I also told you about the afterlife, that death wasn't the end of your existence. It's just the end of your time here on this planet. When I gave you time to repent of your sins and put your trust in me. So I would encourage you to read the Bible and look very carefully at yourself, and to know that you do not operate just on what you can touch, taste, feel and hear. There's plenty of things that you are expecting because you're a civilized human being made in the image of God and to say, well, we just evolved into that. I'm going to say, well, where did we get all that? Where did we get all of these things that are what we call in philosophy and in theology, things that are transcendent. They transcend the natural world, and these are the things we look to in God's Word. He reveals to us and tells us where they come from. And he says, one day you'll answer to me. So I'd ask you please, to look very carefully at your own life. If you live just by your five senses, right, then we would be living in a jungle. And unfortunately, some people are wanting to live that way. And that's what's making our cities and streets so uninhabitable. But that is not the way God made us to live. And the Bible is going to give us a roadmap. Any last word on that before I let you go?
S9: Uh, no thank you. That was very helpful.
S6: Okay. Well, I.
S1: Hope it does. And I think all of us need to consider eternity. We can't just think about the here and now. It's like people that just think about today, they don't think about the future in this life. Well, think about the ultimate future. What happens when your life is over? You breathe your last and your spirit escapes your body. Your body ceases to be animated. Right. Think about that. You want to talk about scientific? Let's put a body under a microscope and say, okay, here is a body. All the cells are there, right? It's supposed to be alive, but it ceases to be alive. What is life itself, even that principle of life? Even the atheists, like Dennett tried to work hard to say, well, what is the idea of human consciousness? And he couldn't describe it. He tried hard to describe it. And most people come to a dead end. What's the difference between a living body and a dead body? Well, life. Well, what is life? What is the principle of life? What is it? We don't even know what it is because it is not of the five senses. And so I could go on, but I certainly want to refire my computers here, because I've got a break and I need a break here at this point to refire, unless you got a call for me because I'm running blind. All my system is down here. Okay. Let's go. John, in line ten, I can't see, but I'll trust you'll tell me when the break is coming up. John, let's talk to you. You're on the air with Mike Fabares. How can I help?
S10: Hey, Mike Fabares. Everybody there behind the scenes, I love y'all. It's all so wonderful for me. Uh, God's presence and just being in a Christian mind. Uh, I'm just so good thing is just so wonderful that I can hear God talking through you today. But anyway, my question, uh, really is, is, is I'd like to pick your brain to expound on how wonderful it's going to be. Like, I can't even wrap my mind around it. How heaven. Uh, Jesus is going to reign. It's just so wonderful. Good news of how everything turns back and everything as we know as Christians. But so much is done. He's done in my life. God's real. He's done wonderful things. Uh, he can explain everything, uh, all in just the short time. It's just too wonderful. But the whole heaven how we're going to be with Jesus. Your perspective, Brandi?
S6: All right. Sure.
S1: Well, we've got a break coming up, but I will point you not only to revelation 21 and 22, but after the break, I'm going to talk a little bit about Isaiah 65. We've got a long break here coming up because it's at the top of the hour. But I certainly want you to stay tuned because I'm going to talk about just exactly John, what you said another hour of open lines coming up on most of these stations. You can go to the website. Always hear us there. Open line radio.org. Open Line Radio with Doctor Michael Riedel is a production of Moody Radio, which is a ministry of the Moody Bible Institute. My name is Mike Favara, sitting in for doctor Ray Dolnick, and I'm going to be back with you for another hour right after this.