S1: Is the gospel really able to penetrate the world of Islam? You ever wonder what's actually happening in the Muslim world, particularly in the Middle East? Well, Todd Nettleton was just there. And on today's program, he shares firsthand accounts. You'll hear true stories of Muslims turning to Christ against all odds, stories to encourage you and motivate you to pray. That's all ahead on today's edition of The Land and the book. Welcome. I'm John Gager, checking in with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. You all set for Thanksgiving, Charlie?
S2: John, I am ready for Thanksgiving. Our daughter and son in law are coming in from London, so we are. We're excited.
S1: All right, that sounds fun. Well, at the end of the year approaches, many world events have left us wondering what God's plan is for the future. This is especially true when it comes to Israel. Despite its small size, people around the world are intensely focused on what takes place. There are today's headlines connected. We wonder in any way with prophecies in the Bible and and how should followers of Jesus interpret current events as we await his second coming?
S2: And to help answer these important questions, our friends at Life and Messiah urge you to check out their new book, God, Israel, and Bible Prophecy with Scripture as its foundation. This book will take you on a journey into what God has in store for the Jewish people and the nations. This book is for anyone who wants to explore where modern day events fit on God's grand timeline. Now, if that's you or someone you know, this would be a great resource or gift. Visit Life in messiah.org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: And now a look at current events from the Middle East region all unfolding as we speak. Story number one, recent reports suggest a possible cease fire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah might be near. How reliable are these predictions of an imminent halt to the fighting in Lebanon?
S2: Well, the cease fire hasn't yet materialized, though apparently Lebanon and Hezbollah both responded positively to the initial draft. In the meantime, Israel is trying to force Hezbollah into submission. They've attacked Hezbollah's strongholds throughout Lebanon, leveling buildings, taking out missile launchers and supply depots, and killing senior leadership. Israel's goal is to force Hezbollah to agree to fully implement UN Security Resolution 1701, which includes moving their fighters north of the Litani River and away from Israel's border. They want southern Lebanon demilitarized, except for the Lebanese Army and the UN forces, and they reserve the right to go back in if Hezbollah tries to rearm. In the meantime, Hezbollah is still trying to harm Israel economically and militarily. They fired thousands of rockets, missiles and drones over the past year, forcing 60,000 Israelis to abandon their homes. Service time for Israeli reservists in the military has now reached an average of 136 days per year, putting a great strain on Israel's economy. It's also increased tensions between secular Israelis and the ultra-Orthodox who refuse to serve in the army. I think right now all sides would like the conflict in the north to end, but each one wants to do it in a way that allows them to claim victory.
S1: Story number two. Discord and dissension within Israel is once again bubbling to the surface. You mentioned the tension over drafting the ultra-Orthodox into the army, but help us untangle all the other disputes fracturing the country.
S2: Oh, yeah. John, we know how divided our country is politically. After this last election, and with just two major parties, though it's a small country, Israel has far more fracture lines. The Likud party of Prime Minister Netanyahu. The ones that are leading the coalition now can be characterized as conservative and nationalistic. They believe Israel should encompass all the land of the Jewish people, including Judea and Samaria. And they're not necessarily overly religious, but they do believe in Jewish traditions and culture. A slightly smaller group, represented by Benny Gantz and the National Unity Party, are similar to Likud in their focus on strong national defense, but they're more secular and lean more to the left on social issues. A third group are the secular Israelis. They tend to be younger and are more like the progressive wing of the Democratic Party here. Up until October 7th, many favored the formation of a Palestinian state. And then there are the ultra-Orthodox Israelis. They're opposed to having their members serve in the army, insisting that their primary task is to study the Talmud and Torah. They see themselves as the keepers of historic religious Judaism. And still another group are the Arab-israelis. Most, though not all, are Muslim. Within this group are various subgroups, some of which strongly oppose the current government. Now, right now, there are four main issues dividing the country. First, should the ultra-Orthodox Jews be required to serve in the army? Second, do the courts need to be reformed to limit their power? Third, should term limits be imposed on the Prime Minister? And then finally, what kind of state should Israel ultimately be? A liberal secular state, or one with roots in Jewish law and tradition? Here's just one example should buses run on Saturdays? Those are the kind of things that are dividing the country. And the main fracture lines now pit liberal and secular Jews against conservative, nationalistic Jews. And then add in the ultra-Orthodox and the Arab-israelis, and you have an incredibly fractured country.
S1: Charlie, wouldn't it be true, statistically, though, that the liberal secular Jews would vastly outnumber the conservative Jews in Israel, the liberals?
S2: Well, I say it this way the secular Jews outnumber the religious Jews, though the religious Jews are growing. However, within the secular group, there's a growing conservative movement in Israel because of especially the events in October 7th. And right now, in elections, they still outnumber the liberal Jews.
S1: This is the land in the book from Moody Radio. We're working through a list of current events, stories from the past week. President elect Trump doesn't assume office until January, but he's already influencing events in the Middle East. What impact is he having on the different conflicts between Israel, Iran and the Palestinian Authority?
S2: The main impact so far focuses on the perceived difference between the previous administration and President Trump, as one observer put it. The perception in the Middle East is that both President Obama and President Biden were unwilling to project power and confront adversaries in the region. They knew how to speak out forcefully, but that was it. The latest example this week was a proposed UN Security Council resolution forcing Israel to withdraw from Gaza. As that vote approached, Israel didn't know if President Biden would side with them and veto it or allow it to pass, harming them. Now, contrast that with President Trump's first term. He ended the nuclear agreement with Iran, increased the sanctions on Iran, moved the US embassy to Jerusalem, and officially recognized the Golan Heights as part of Israel. Several of Trump's announced appointees, including Mike Huckabee as ambassador, have suggested Trump will again be following up his words with strong actions when it comes to implementing policy. It's interesting to see how the different countries are responding. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has been reaching out to president elect Trump through the Lebanese-American father in law of Trump's daughter. Abbas wants to have President Trump push for peace between the Palestinians and Israel based on a two state solution. He remembers Trump's funding cuts in response to the Palestinian rejection of a deal during Trump's first term. For its part, Israel is encouraged by statements made by Huckabee and others suggesting Trump might even be open to allowing Israel to annex the West Bank, the area they would call Judea and Samaria. They're also encouraged by statements suggesting the US will not handcuff Israel to keep them from responding to Iranian attacks. Iran, at least now, is keeping a lower profile, though they've reportedly promised they won't try to assassinate Trump. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out once Trump assumes office in January.
S1: A recent article in The Jerusalem Post reported that scientists have unlocked the secret of A3000 year old tablet that reveals the path to Noah's Ark. So is this report fact or fiction?
S2: It sounds like something out of Hollywood, doesn't it? I'd love for this report to be true, but I really have doubts. The story claimed that scientists have unlocked the secrets of the world's oldest map, revealing the location of Noah's Ark. But this so-called map is really just a clay tablet on display in the British Museum. The tablet shows Babylon and the Euphrates River and identifies eight outlying regions representing the then known world. On the reverse side, it describes, in broken and largely unintelligible paragraphs, apparent distances and directions to these regions. It also identifies animals and gods connected to the Babylonian account of creation along with their account of the flood, but the text mentions Urartu, which the authors suggest is a reference to Mount Ararat. Now Urartu is in the general region of Ararat, but it takes a great leap in logic to assume the text is really referring to the mountain and pointing to the location of the ark. The tablet dates to the late 600 seconds BC, at the time of the Babylonian Empire. The flood happened at least 700 years earlier, now I believe. Noah's Ark did exist, but you won't find it using that so-called map.
S1: We got time for one final story here. Tell us about the rain that fell in Israel this past week, Charlie.
S2: Yeah. You know, rain in Israel is a blessing. And Israel was blessed this past week. They experienced, in fact, record breaking rain along the northern coast. In one town on Mount Carmel, just under eight inches of rain fell in four hours. That's 60% of that area's average annual rainfall. On Tuesday and Wednesday, the rain soaked the coastal area, along with central and northern Israel, and some rain extended down into the Shfela and into the Judean Desert around the Dead Sea. It's the first major rainfall of the season, and they're hoping it will be followed by much more over the coming months.
S1: Charlie, what do we know about the progress of desalination plants that have been worked on for several years now?
S2: Well, they have five desalination plants up and running and working on some others. So right now Israel is water self-sufficient. In fact, they're drawing very little to any water from the Sea of Galilee, but they're hoping to be able to provide even more water that they could then use in foreign relations with some of the nations, like Jordan.
S1: All right. Sounds good. Thank you for that update on current events. We're looking forward to a conversation with Todd Nettleton, who takes us inside the Muslim world. Stories of Muslims turning to Christ against all odds. If it's been a while since you've been to our website, check it out. It's at the Land and the book.org, the land and the Book org. We're going Inside the Muslim World with Todd Nettleton next on the land and the book. When it comes to trouble, there is no place quite like the Middle East. It is just laced with trouble and tension. And this last year in particular, we have heard so much about the Middle East. But did you know that the Middle East is also where God is doing many great things, and he's doing a surprising amount of those things among Muslim people. This is the land and the book. Segment two. I'm John Gager. Before we jet off to the Middle East, let's pause for a creative idea on reaching out to the Muslim friends that God has placed in our path here at home. You and I, when we come to any conversation, including a conversation with our Jewish friends, have a certain perspective. We bring we and they, Josh and Rachelle Norman, are here to help us understand how those perspectives contribute or maybe cause trouble in our dialogue. Josh, one.
S3: Of the great objections to believing in Jesus is the Holocaust and the Crusades. And they say, If Jesus is your Messiah. If Yeshua is your Messiah, then how can he in his name? Many things happen and you know there's really no one solid answer we can throw out there and everything will be fine. It's humbly accepting the fact that you know what things have been done in the name of Yeshua, but that's not who he is, and he is somebody who loves you, somebody who died for you, who atoned for you. And it is a very Jewish thing.
S4: And when a Christian is able to show that to their Jewish friend, it really opens a lot of doors very quickly. Even if it's a shorter relationship, you're not going to be with them a long time or it's in passing at work. It opens a lot of doors to a real open relationship.
S1: Give me another example of a perspective that I might have or my Jewish friend might have. That could potentially be a brick wall. Josh.
S3: Well, I would say that, um, you're not converting if you become a believer in Messiah, you're still Jewish because he found his fulfillment in the Tanakh in the Old Testament. There's no converting leaving behind your Jewish identity.
S4: I think what Josh is bringing up here, too, is terminology is really important. Using words like Messiah instead of Christ is powerful to the Jewish person.
S1: Our conversation today with Josh and Rochelle Norman with Chosen People Ministries here on the land and the book Todd Nettleton is vice president of message for the voice of the martyrs USA and host of the Voice of the Martyrs Radio. During his more than 25 years of service with voice of the martyrs, Todd has traveled the world and conducted face to face interviews with hundreds of Christians who have suffered persecution in more than 40 nations. He's been interviewed more than 4000 times, so this will be 4001, I think. Todd has also written the Moody Publishers book when Faith Is Forbidden. Recently, he met with Christians in the Middle East, finding out how God is working in that part of the world. And we want to say, welcome back to the land and the book. Todd, thanks.
S5: So much, John. It's good to be with you.
S1: So describe some of the challenges and the circumstances that many of these brothers and sisters face in daily life.
S5: Well, one of the things about the Islamic context that most of our brothers and sisters in the Middle East find themselves is that persecution usually doesn't start with the police or with the government. It's usually much closer to home. It starts with your dad. It starts with your big brother who will come to you and say, listen, we are a muslim family. We've always been a muslim family. If you're not a muslim anymore, if you're a follower of Jesus Christ, you're not really part of our family. We don't have a spot for you in our family anymore. And so that is typically the first line of persecution. Now, that sounds horrible to us here in America. But when you understand the context of the Middle East, all of your opportunities in life come through family connections, your opportunity for education, your opportunity for jobs, your opportunity to get married. All of that is through connections from your family or your tribal group. And so being cut off from that group is being cut off from all of your future, from all of your opportunities. So it is a very high price that our brothers and sisters in the Middle East are paying speak.
S1: To the difference that we have of religion here in the West, being sort of an optional add on thing, where over there it's very much woven into every fabric of your life.
S5: That's absolutely right. You are born a muslim. You are expected to live your whole life as a muslim and you will die as a muslim. And in fact, Islam really kind of runs in your blood. To be Jordanian, to be a Saudi, to be a Qatari is to be a muslim. And so when you as one of those a citizen of one of those nations, you come and say, well, actually, I'm not a muslim, I'm a follower of Jesus Christ. There is that that perception. Well, you've betrayed not only your family, you've betrayed your country. You've betrayed your ethnicity. It is seen as a complete turning away from your identity. And so one of the things that happens is the body of Christ becomes your family. They become a part of your identity. And pastors and church leaders in that part of the world, they understand very well. When I lead someone to Christ, I need to not just be ready to be their pastor. I need to be ready to be their father. I need to be ready for them to sleep on my couch. I, I need to be ready to provide some help for them because their families are likely to cut them off, and the church has to become their family.
S1: You were enrolled in a school of prayer through the life example of the host that you stayed with. How do people in the Middle East pray differently than we do in the West?
S5: Todd You know, we had such an amazing time being in the Middle East. And our host was, you know, the Bible verse that says, pray without ceasing. That is how he lives his life. And so when you roll up to a checkpoint, you pray, Lord, we're coming up to a checkpoint. We need your help to make sure we get through safely. When you have a trial. Hey, we need to pray. Lord, you need to help us with this trial. When you meet someone, you offer to pray for them. When you hear, oh, my wife is struggling with sickness or oh, I've just lost my job. The natural response of someone who prays without ceasing is, well, hey, let me pray for you. And when you pray in the name of Jesus and then those prayers are answered, that person has a question in their mind. They want to come back to you and say, whoa, you prayed for me. And then that problem got solved. Tell me more about this Jesus that you prayed to. And so that is one of the ways the gospel is spreading is just through bold Christians who are willing to say, hey, I see that you have a problem, I hear you, I care about you. Let me pray for you. And then when Jesus answers those prayers, it plants the seed of the gospel in that person's heart.
S1: God at work in the Middle East. That's our focus today on the land and the book as we talk with Todd Nettleton of Voice of the martyrs, I understand that you went to two different underground church gatherings. How would those gatherings differ from what many of us experience on a Sunday morning?
S5: Well, it was interesting getting in because, you know, there was a door lock and a gate and a camera at the gate, and they were checking who was coming and who was going. But once we got inside, it actually was very similar to what we experience here in our church. And honestly, at one point they were singing so loudly, I was kind of looking around like, hey, are you sure we shouldn't maybe turn it down a little bit because, you know, we're not supposed to be here. This is illegal. And so but they are boldly worshiping the Lord. And, you know, it's interesting in, in many of these countries, you have to think that the government knows at least a little bit of what's going on. Yeah, it would be impossible for, you know, 85 or 100 people to gather without somebody noticing what's happening. And yet the governments are in many cases, allowing that to happen. Um, and there's a there's kind of a little dance. Well, one of the things we heard is, well, let's be careful not to shame the government. We don't want to sort of throw it up in their face what we're doing, because that would embarrass them, that would shame them, and then they would feel the need to respond. They would feel the need to crack down. So let's let's be careful how we talk about this, and they are careful as they gather. They don't do it in a public way. They don't certainly don't put a sign on their church saying, hey, we have worship services this Friday. Come at noon. They don't do things like that. And there seems to be a little bit of balance that is being achieved, at least in some of the countries where the government says, okay, fine, you have your meetings, just don't embarrass us as you have them.
S6: Mm.
S1: Well, that said, there was still a concern, perhaps even an element of danger in these brothers and sisters being found out. But what about you and Chas? What if you had been found at these underground church meetings? What then?
S5: You know, one of the great blessings of having an American passport is the likelihood is we would be put on a plane and we would be sent home. They would tell us not to come back. And don't be a troublemaker and go on home. I'm always aware, as I travel into hostile and restricted nations, the danger for the Christians that I am meeting with is far, far greater than any danger that I face. Because, you know, I've got my blue passport and I've got a ticket home. They're still going to be there, they still are going to live there, and they will still the government certainly has access to them to punish them. And so, yeah, there's a certain amount of danger or worry as we go. But I always am aware that the danger that they face is so much greater than anything that we do.
S1: Thanks for connecting with the land and the book today. If you just joined us, I'm John Gager. Our guest today, Todd Nettleton of the Voice of the martyrs, just back from a visit to the Middle East. Well, you mentioned the idea that some of these believers are praying for and with their unsaved Muslim friends. What are some other ways that you would share Jesus in the context that you were in?
S5: Todd one of the things we heard was how long of a process it is for a muslim in the Middle East to really renounce Islam and come to faith in Jesus Christ. And, you know, we talked about the fact that they're turning their back on their culture. Their family is likely to turn their back on them. All of their future opportunities are cut off. So it's it's a big decision to make that decision. Okay, fine. I'm going to follow Jesus. I'm going to leave Islam behind that typically. And we heard this from multiple Christians. That's not a one time conversation that we might think of in the West. Well, you know, I'm going to I'm going to sit down with my friend. We're going to walk through the Romans Road. And at the end, I'm going to bring them to a point of praying a prayer and choosing to follow Jesus Christ in the Middle East. We heard stories of how that is often a years long process. It's not one conversation, it's hundreds of conversations. And Christians there don't think about sort of bringing people to a point of decision right now or in the next half hour. They think about planting a seed and then planting another seed, maybe months later, maybe even years later, and then watering the seeds that have been planted, or watering the seeds that someone else has been able to plant and in months or years we hope this person makes a decision to follow Jesus Christ. But it is very rarely and in fact, I would say almost never. One conversation or one encounter that leads someone to follow Jesus out of a muslim background. In the Middle East, it is typically a years long process of planting and watering those seeds. And as I mentioned, prayer can be a big part of that. We had a conversation with some Muslims there and a Christian friend who was with us. And one of the things that has happened is our Christian friend has prayed for these Muslims. He's prayed for their business to succeed. And since he's done that, they have noticed that their business has succeeded more than it did before. And they have actually attached those two things in their mind like, hey, after you prayed for us, our business really has taken off. We've really experienced a lot of success. And so they understand like something happened when you prayed for us. And so that certainly was a seed that's been planted. And now our friend is trying to water that seed. He's trying to follow up and say, is there is there other things that I can pray to Jesus for on your behalf because he wants them to see? Yes. When we pray to Jesus, things happen. Jesus is the one who answers prayer. And so that's an example of that sort of planting a seed, watering a seed, but not thinking in terms of, okay, you know, we're going to sit down over coffee right now and I'm going to nail you down and you're going to make a decision. It really is a long process in the Middle East.
S1: All right. Another facet of prayer would be our praying for these people in the Middle East. How could we pray both for believers there and for those who have yet to find Jesus?
S5: You know, I think for believers, we obviously we want to pray for God's protection over them. It can be very dangerous depending where you are. In the Middle East, there are family conflicts. There are family that will come after you. There are police and there are governments that will come after you as well. So we want to pray for God's protection. I think we also, though, want to pray for opportunities to witness as we think about that long process of planting seeds and watering seeds and hoping for a harvest. Let's just pray for our Christian brothers and sisters in the Middle East that that even today, they get an opportunity to plant a seed. They get an opportunity to make a difference and to say something that would lead someone to ask questions or to to want to know more about Jesus Christ. The other thing that I would encourage people as we're praying, is to remember as as Jesus instructed us to pray for the persecutors. We want to pray for government leaders in the Middle East to have a radical encounter with Jesus Christ, to have their hearts transformed by him. We want to pray for some of these parents or older brothers who are persecuting new believers. We want to pray for them to have a dream or a vision where they see Jesus. And so let's remember also to pray for the enemies of the gospel as we pray for our brothers and sisters as well.
S1: Well, those are all great prayer points. Thank you Todd. I appreciate your time, your insights. Always good to get up to the minute reports from you, and God bless you as you continue to travel and speak out on behalf of the persecuted church.
S5: Thanks so much for having me. I always enjoy our conversations.
S1: Thank you Todd. Hey, I'm looking forward to a look at some Bible questions that have come in to our email inbox. That's next on the land and the book. Well, if your eyeballs are functioning and your brainwaves are at all alive, when you read the Bible, you bump into questions, I sure do. Hi, I'm John Gager. This is the land and the book, and this is the segment that we devote exclusively to answering your questions about your own thoughts, ruminations, and puzzlements as you open Scripture for yourself. Doctor Charlie Dyer's Bible is open. And before we get to our first question, though, I just want to think about the fact that as the end of the year approaches, many world events have left us wondering what God's plan is for the future. And this is especially true when it comes to Israel. Despite its small size, people around the world are just intensely focused, Charlie, on what takes place there, this tiny little country. So our today's headlines connected in any way with prophecies in the Bible. And how should followers of Jesus interpret current events as we await his second coming?
S2: Those are great questions. And to help answer those important questions, our friends at Life and Messiah encourage you to check out their book, God, Israel, and Bible Prophecy with Scripture as its foundation. This book will take you on a journey into what God has in store for the Jewish people and the nations. This book is for anyone who wants to explore where modern day events fit on God's grand timeline. If that's you or someone you know, this would be a great resource or gift. Visit Life in messiah.org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Well, fittingly enough, our first question takes us to the Old Testament. Teresa wants us to look at numbers ten one through ten, where the Lord instructs Moses concerning the blowing of the trumpets at different times and for different reasons. She says. Verses eight and nine clearly point out this is a lasting ordinance for the priest to blow the trumpets when Israel goes into battle in their own land against an enemy that is oppressing them. My question, she says, do you know if this happens today during these many months of war?
S2: Well, we know Israel certainly used the trumpets during their time in the wilderness, and apparently they also continued to use them during their festivals. The Temple Mount Faithful group in Jerusalem have fashioned new silver trumpets for use in the rebuilt temple. However, as far as I'm able to determine, modern Israel does not sound trumpets when they go into battle. Part of the reason could be that the other uses for the trumpets during feasts, new moon festivals, and all those others, well, they await the rebuilding of a temple and the resumption of animal sacrifices and the priestly system. So I don't believe verse nine is being observed today.
S1: Fran asks, can you please give me your take on why Jesus and the people of the Bible are depicted by secular and non-secular media as European and Caucasian?
S2: Yeah, I believe Jesus and other Bible characters are depicted that way because most European artists through the centuries pictured the people and the other details in the Bible in light of their own European experience. So the characters look European as well as the clothing, the houses, the furnishings. You know, Da Vinci's Last Supper looks like a European banquet table, not like a typical low table triclinium where guests would have been in the time of Jesus. Now, some other descriptions did come from church tradition, like the Three Wise Men, but most artists use local models and then over time, the images they produced became the lens through which many viewed the Bible stories. Now, lest we be too hard on them, we tend to do exactly the same thing as we unconsciously insert biblical characters and events into locations from our own background, or into what we envision the scenes and people to have looked like. I guess that's just because it's human nature, but it's also maybe a good reason why a trip to Israel can be incredibly helpful.
S1: Terry takes us to Ephesians chapter one. Verse four tells us that God chose us in him before the foundation of the world. I know that Isaiah 55 nine tells us that his ways are higher than our ways, and his thoughts than our thoughts. But why would God create some with a predestination of condemnation? The intersection of free will and predestination is a puzzle. Yet predestination is referenced in many places in the New Testament. Any insight?
S2: Yeah, I know the issue of predestination versus free will is one that I believe extends beyond our ability to truly comprehend. Yet I do believe both elements are true. And as you noted, Ephesians one four says, God predestined us to be adopted as his sons. But I would make two other observations there. First, it says that it was in love. He did this. That is, predestination is connected to God's love, not to condemnation. I personally don't believe God actively predestined others to be condemned. Romans 512 makes it clear that sin entered the world through one man and death through sin. So it was Adam's choice to sin against God, and when he did, it impacted the spiritual DNA of all humanity. Now, God certainly understood this was the case, and it became part of his master plan for the universe. At the same time, his plan for salvation, including the death of his son, was also part of that plan. That's why revelation 13 eight describes Jesus as slain from the creation of the world. Anyway, my point here is that predestination in Ephesians one four isn't described as God deciding who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. Following Adam's sin, all humanity stands condemned before God, but in his love, God chose some from among humanity to be adopted as his sons.
S1: This is the land and the book with our host, Charlie Dyer. I'm John Geiger, enjoying your questions as always. Here's one from Cara. As I think about how Samuel worked in the Tabernacle and related to God, I'm curious, was he serving God in the tabernacle primarily because of his Nazarite vow and his mother's vow, or also because of being from the tribe of Levi?
S2: Well, in First Chronicles six, those genealogies that drive us nuts, they're really important. And in fact, in chapter six, verses 22 to 28, the writer traces the descendants of the Kohathites who were part of the tribe of Levi, down through several generations of individuals named Elkanah, until he reaches Samuel and his two sons. And the passage makes it very clear that Samuel and his father Elkanah were from the tribe of Levi. Through his son Kohath. The problem, of course, is that in first Samuel one one it makes it sound as if Samuel's father Elkanah, was from the tribe of Ephraim, since it says he was from the hill country of Ephraim. But it's very possible there. Elkanah is just a Levite. He's from the tribe of Kohath, and just happened to be living in Ramah of Bethlehem, which may have become part of the territory of Ephraim, and assigned to the Levites following the Benjamite civil war. In the Book of Judges.
S1: Mary asks, was the body Christ had when he appeared to his disciples the same body that took on powers because it wasn't subject to earthly decay? Did the risen Christ have a special body?
S2: Christ's natural body didn't experience decay in the same way that the bodies of believers who died in Christ over the years do. And I say that because of acts two. Peter quotes from Psalm 1610, where David wrote that God would not let his Holy One, the Messiah, see decay. However, that's not the reason Jesus was able to appear, disappear, or demonstrate other miraculous powers following his resurrection. I think the best answer for that is one Paul gave in first Corinthians 15. Now here's what he said in part. He said, some might ask, how are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come? The body that is sown is perishable. It's raised imperishable. It's sown with dishonor. It's raised in glory. It's sown in weakness. It's raised in power. It's sown a natural body. It's raised a spiritual body. And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man Adam, in our bodies, so we shall bear the likeness of the man from heaven, that is Jesus. So when we receive our new bodies at the time of the rapture, we'll receive a body like the one Jesus now has. I don't know everything about what that body will be like, but we're assured that it will be like that of Jesus, and that means it's going to be pretty amazing.
S1: Kim says, I've noticed in Genesis chapter five that the descendants of Adam have children much earlier in their lives than Noah. Is there any biblical understanding of why this would be the case?
S2: Nothing in the text actually tells us why Noah was so much older at the time of his son's birth than his ancestors were, so we can only speculate. It's possible that Noah and his wife had trouble conceiving that there are other cases of that in the Bible. It's also possible that the world situation that was described there in Genesis six, verses 1 to 7, which is when Noah lived, caused him to delay getting married and having children. But the reality is, we don't know why he was so much older before he and his wife began having children. I do remember a paper I read in seminary that compared the ages when children were born, as well as the total lifespan of those from Adam through the patriarchs. Though not an exact parabolic curve, the numbers show a clear pattern of decline for example, the age at which the first child was born declines until just before the time of Enoch. It then seems to stabilize until the flood. Now, following the flood, the age at which children were born declines again, dropping into the low 30s. In the same way, the total lifespan of individuals declines slightly, though, staying relatively constant until the flood, but following the flood, the total lifespan declines rather markedly. As someone suggested, it's possible the fall and the entrance of death began to have an impact on human DNA with the arrival of disease and other cellular mutations, and then the changing conditions on Earth following the flood resulted in another dramatic decline. These shorter lifespans might also account for the desire to have offspring at an earlier age, but again, these are only possible suggestions based on what we observe in the text. We're never told specifically why this is so.
S1: Diane says, I love my Ryrie Study Bible, but I noticed the notes often refer to Palestine, and I'm now encountering that term in my Thursday Bible study. When did that term first get used and by who and why? Can you help me out here?
S2: Yeah, well, the term Palestine actually came from the time of the Roman emperor Hadrian, about 100 years after the time of Jesus. After the second Jewish revolt against Rome, he renamed the land Philistine land Palestine. And from his day up until the 20th century, the term Palestine became a geographical term for the region. Since 1948, especially then since 1967, though, it took on a more political term to refer to the Arabs who lived there and who are not part of the State of Israel. Now, by using the term, I think in Bibles and Bible atlases. Sadly, I think it's unfortunate. It's really an anachronism.
S1: And that's today's look at questions and answers. More to come on the broadcast as Charlie opens his Bible to bring us a devotional right here on the land and the book. Everybody loves a parade. There's just something about getting together, sitting down, watching the floats, the bands, the people go by. Well, there's a different kind of parade in store for us as we continue here on the land. And the book with our host, Charlie Dyer. What's this all about, Charlie?
S2: Oh, we're going to be having a fun time heading out to the original Thanksgiving Day parade.
S1: Okay, that's the subject of his devotional that comes after this Holy Land experience. Testimony. Check it out.
S7: Hello, land in the book friends. Doctor Dyer, I so enjoyed your devotional last week and it reminded me of that torrential downpour that I experienced at Megiddo. One of my favorite places was at Mount Carmel. I was able to get a better visual of how Elijah was able to beat Ahab's chariot on foot from that mountain to the Jezreel Valley below. After defeating the prophets of Baal, I saw how Ahab's chariot would have had a most difficult time getting through that muddy mess. I think about my Israel experience every day as I read God's Word. Not just the places, but the people as well. It was amazing to see all the archaeological finds such as the Capernaum ruins, the church of the Nativity, which sits upon the cave of Jesus birth, the Dead Sea Scrolls, just to name a few. And still the majority of its residents are not believers. I am reminded to pray for the people of that land, that the scales will be removed, and that they would accept the Lord Jesus as their Messiah. What a gift to be a part of God's story, to walk in a land rich with history, and the place where God's final victory over Satan will occur. Thank you Doctor Dyer for the most amazing trip ever. God bless you all and thank you for your service.
S1: All right. We're headed for Second Chronicles, chapter 20, in a devotional you've titled Jehoshaphat's Parade. Looking forward to this, Charlie.
S2: Thanks, John. For the past century. Since 1924, Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City has marked the start of the holiday season. But while the Macy's parade might be the most well known, it's not the oldest. That honor belongs to Philadelphia, which held its first Thanksgiving Day parade four years earlier in 1920. It's actually the oldest Thanksgiving Day parade in our country, but both of these Thanksgiving Day parades are eclipsed by the first Thanksgiving Day parade held in Israel nearly 2800 years earlier. And that Thanksgiving Day parade was not only the first, it was also the longest parade in terms of the distance covered. The parade route extended for nearly 35 miles, and it included marching bands and choirs and the military. But I'm getting ahead of myself, so follow me out to the town of Toccoa for our front row seats, and while we wait for the parade to arrive, I'll explain how it started. Toccoa is a small town, but perched up on this hill. It provides us with a wonderful view of the roadway below. The road winds its way north and west, skirting by Bethlehem before heading to Jerusalem. That's the direction from which the parade will come. Well, then, the road extends to the right, below us as it drops into the Judean wilderness. Eventually it reaches Enjeti along the shores of the Dead Sea. This is the roadway taken by Ruth and Naomi several hundred years earlier, when the two returned from Moab to Bethlehem. The origin of today's parade is actually quite recent. In fact, it all began just a few days ago, when some men. I'm not sure if they were travelers or guards or simply shepherds tending their flocks, but they showed up in Jerusalem. It's obvious they had been running for some distance because they were exhausted. They hurried to the palace entrance and delivered a grim report to King Jehoshaphat. A vast army is coming against you from Edom, from the other side of the sea. It is already in Hazon. Tamar. That is Enjeti. Were we not sitting here in Toccoa, we might pass over those details without grasping their significance. But they were not lost on the king or his subjects. The other details in the report fill in the who, what, where and when. Who. It's not just one nation coming to attack Judah. It's a coalition of three nations the Moabites, the ammonites and the Edomites. These three countries straddled the eastern side of the Dead Sea. What? These nations have formed an alliance against Judah and Jerusalem, where they managed to cross the Dead Sea, possibly at the tongue of land that extends partway across. And they've now rendezvoused at Engedi, an oasis at the start of the back door entrance to Jerusalem, when apparently those reporting saw the armies as they began gathering at Engedi. It might take the three armies several days to get organized and finalize their plan of attack, and then it will take another day or so to climb the steep pathway up into the wilderness, and still another day to cross the wilderness and reach Tekoa. But at that point, they're less than a day from the gates of Jerusalem. Judah has less than a week to get ready for this massive invasion. King Jehoshaphat wasted no time, and his steps to prepare are instructive. First he resolved to inquire of the Lord. He started by going to God. Then he proclaimed a fast for all Judah, and had the people of Judah come together to seek help from the Lord. People poured into the city from every town in Judah to seek him. The king led the people in prayer as he opened his heart to the Lord. We have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you. God sent a direct message of encouragement and hope through a Levite who stood up and said, listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem, this is what the Lord says to you. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army, for the battle is not yours, but God's. The next day, Jerusalem's ragtag army of minutemen were to march out to face the attackers, which by now would likely be ready to climb the cliffs toward the Judean wilderness. And that's what brings us here today for Jehoshaphat's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I see the confused look in your eyes. How is this a Thanksgiving Day parade? Isn't it more like a panicked mob racing to stop what must have looked like an invincible army? The word that would normally come to mind is fear. Not Thanksgiving at a time like this, isn't it? And that's where this story takes quite a dramatic turn. We would expect to see the army of Judah marching below, desperately trying to reach the overlook before the much larger army was able to climb up the steep cliffs. But instead we're watching a parade, and the army is at the back of the parade, not the front. Here's how the book of Second Chronicles records what happened next. Early in the morning, they left for the desert of Tekoa. That's right below us. As they set out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, listen to me, Judah and people of Jerusalem have faith in the Lord your God, and you will be upheld. Have faith in his prophets and you will be successful. After consulting with the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying, give thanks to the Lord, for his love endures forever. And here comes the parade. A large choir with musicians are leading the procession, with the army following behind. Instead of shouting war cries trying to psych themselves up for battle, they're giving thanks to God. And what happened next? As they began to sing and praise, the Lord set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir, who were invading Judah, and they were defeated. Ammon and Moab turned against the Edomites and attacked them. Then the Ammonites and Moabites fought each other over the spoil. By the time the men of Judah came to the place that overlooks the desert and looked toward the vast army, they saw only dead bodies lying on the ground. No one had escaped. As we pick up our folding chairs and begin to head home, what lessons can we take with us from Jehoshaphat? Thanksgiving day parade. How about this? Usually we thank God after he's done something for us. But Jehoshaphat and the people gave thanks to God before he had come to their aid. In fact, it was after they began singing praises to God that he intervened. Whatever problem you're facing today, pause first and say a prayer of thanksgiving, praising God for the reality that his loyal love endures forever. However great your problem might seem, stop and remember that God's power and his love for you are infinitely greater. One final detail it's possible the psalm sung by the procession that just passed below us was Psalm 136. I say that because the theme of the entire psalm is the same as the summary verse recorded by the writer of two Chronicles 20. Psalm 136 begins, give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. In fact, every single verse ends with his love endures Forever. The psalmist traces God's goodness from creation through the Exodus and wilderness wanderings and into the conquest. And he ends by reminding the people that the God of the past is still present and powerful today. He is the one who remembered us in our lowest state, and who freed us from our enemies. And he did all this because he's the God of heaven. Just remember to pause and praise God today, for his love endures forever. And if you have some free time, read Second Chronicles 20 and Psalm 136. If you do. I'm confident you will be encouraged.
S1: Thank you Charlie, always refreshing to have you open the word and take us to a passage there and just open our eyes to things we maybe haven't thought about. Well, our time is gone, but I want to thank you, Charlie, our producer, Dan Anderson, and the management of this station for carrying the land and the book. We're a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.
UU: Have a great day.