S1: I'm.
S2: Sure you've heard. You're supposed to memorize the Bible. What about the people in the pages of Scripture? Did they memorize whatever portions of the Bible they had back then? Ha! Just ahead, a fascinating look at people in Scripture who memorize scripture. We've got some compelling examples for you and some bonus tips for your own Bible memory as well. Plus, all the news from the Middle East here on the land and the book. Thanks for connecting with us today. I'm John Gager and our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer is out on assignment, but he's still in touch with us and shared his thoughts about the news stories that have come out of the Middle East this week. But first, Passover will soon be upon us. And one of the traditional Passover questions is what makes this night different from all others? Passover is an important biblical holiday with huge meaning for Jewish people and believers in Jesus. And if you want to learn more about what makes Passover so special, our friends at Life and Messiah are offering to mail you a free copy of their Messianic Passover Haggadah. This is a booklet that will lead you through the celebration of Passover to see the rich connections to Jesus, our Messiah, and the Last Supper. You'll also receive a link for an interactive Passover Seder video, and with the Haggadah and the video together, you can really celebrate Passover this year with your family and friends. And to get this free offer, just go to life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out more and request your copy. Again, that's life in messiah.org. All right, let's swing our focus toward current events from the Middle East. The threatened attack against Iran by Israel and possibly the U.S. is already impacting Iran. What preparations are they taking and how serious is the threat of such an attack actually happening? Well, in spite of their bluster and bravado, Charlie suggests that Iran appears to be very concerned about a threatened attack. As we mentioned before, they were apparently secretly rushing to develop the technology to produce several basic or crude nuclear weapons just as quickly as possible. Now, the bombs don't need to be ultra powerful or sophisticated. They simply need to be small enough to mount on a missile and deliver to a target. In threatening a small country like Israel, having a nuclear weapon that could be launched against Tel Aviv, for example, could deter Israel from responding to future Iranian threats. The ayatollah also suggested there should be no negotiations with the U.S. because of the apparent threats, but he apparently left the door open to talks with the understanding that they do not include any threats of attack. Iran also launched its first drone carrier. The former container vessel has been equipped with a runway for launching drones, and it can also operate helicopters. This gives Iran more flexibility in launch locations, however, it's also unclear how vulnerable the ship will be. Should it stray too far from home waters. But to the main question being asked here, how serious is the actual threat of an attack? President Trump posted an online message saying reports that the United States, working in conjunction with Israel, is going to blow Iran into smithereens are greatly exaggerated. However, it is unclear what is his final word on the subject. Or is this simply a way to try to coax Iran into negotiations? President Trump has made it clear that Iran cannot possess nuclear weapons. The breakout time for Iran to actually build a nuclear bomb once they start is likely measured in weeks, not months. So the US and Israel are likely both preparing a response should they receive intelligence suggesting Iran is moving forward. Story number two. President Trump has proposed a trade corridor linking India to Europe and the U.S. through Israel. Now, what would such a trade corridor accomplish and is it even feasible? Well, Doctor Dyer told me he thinks that most in the US really didn't grasp the strategic significance of this proposal. So let me share some of the background. The US and China are in an economic war, no doubt about it. China has been using its Belt and Road Initiative to try to carve out its own worldwide connections to diminish US influence. At the same time, the Houthis have created a force in the Red sea that is disrupting trade and commerce through the Suez Canal. That's increasing the price of everything from goods to oil coming from Asia to the west. China has also tried to gain influence in the Panama Canal, another major choke point for world commerce. India is a major counterbalance to China, and at the same time, a peace treaty between the Gulf states and Israel and a route through them connecting the Arabian Sea and the Mediterranean Sea could bypass the Houthis and their attempt to block the Red sea as envisioned by President Trump. This new trade route would run from India to Israel and onward to Italy in the U.S., and would include seaports, rail lines, and undersea cables. Now the question is, is it feasible? The short answer is that it is. Though it will face some obstacles. For example, China will not stand idly by and allow India to become the dominant power in Southeast Asia, though they don't have the military capability to project power and control through the area. Iran is one other potential block for the project, like the Houthis in the Red sea. Iran sits at the narrow band between the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf. They've blocked oil shipments there before. However, a road and rail link through the United Arab Emirates, through Saudi Arabia and Jordan to Israel's port at Ashdod could help bypass that blocking point. Now, the major stumbling block to such a deal remains lack of a peace treaty between Saudi Arabia and Israel. But while Europe and the U.S. have in the past tried to force a deal on Israel because of pressure from the oil producing states. President Trump is presenting a vision for a deal in which everyone who participates comes out on top, and that's a great incentive to get everyone to buy into it. If you joined us midstream, you're listening to The Land and the book. I'm John Gager, and in this opening segment, we're looking at current events based in the Middle East. Our expert and host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, returns next week from his assignment. But let's continue now with our look at the top stories. Number three, watching the interaction of all the countries and groups in the Middle East is like watching the ever shifting shapes in a kaleidoscope. So what do you say we take a kind of a walk around the latest events in places like Syria, Turkey and Saudi Arabia? Here we go. In Syria, the army that is now aligned with the new administration has openly fought with Hezbollah. Hezbollah tried to advance into a stronghold they previously held in Syria, but were repulsed by the Syrian Army. The Syrian Army then entered a town on the Lebanese side of the border, forcing the Hezbollah forces to retreat further into Lebanon. Now there's no love lost between the Sunni forces now controlling Syria and the Shiite Hezbollah fighters in Lebanon, supported by Iran. This border war could become more active as Iran tries to resupply Hezbollah. Iran and Turkey are also vying for control in the region. Turkey's President Erdogan is claiming that Iran is planning to send drones to the Kurds in Syria to fight against Turkish forces. Now, the Kurds had been our ally, but in their fight against Turkey, they will apparently seek help from any source willing to provide arms. Meanwhile, Turkey is trying to build a modern version of the Ottoman Empire with their brand of a Sunni religious caliphate controlling the region from Istanbul. And Turkey's influence in Syria could bring it into conflict with Israel should Turkish forces end up on Israel's northern border. This is especially troubling given Turkey's ideological alignment with groups like the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas and even the jihadist al-Nusra group now controlling Syria. Saudi Arabia would also like to be a major regional player in the Middle East. They don't have the population of Turkey or Iran, but they do have incredible oil wealth and closer connections to the Sunni Arab states and to the west. Saudi Arabia would also like to be a major player in a regional security arrangement between the Gulf states, Israel, and the United States. The Abraham Accords are the initial basis for such an agreement. But the main sticking point is the issue of a Palestinian state. So can a trade alliance like the one just mentioned help overcome those obstacles? Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Story number four. Archaeologists in Egypt have announced the discovery of the lost tomb of Pharaoh Thutmose the second. Maybe you're curious what exactly was discovered and how significant is this find? Well, it turns out the actual discovery isn't nearly as spectacular as that of the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamun back in 1922. There was no sarcophagus or golden face mask or other hoard of chariots, beds, jewelry or intact alabaster jars. Truthfully, the tomb was in a poor state of preservation, apparently because of flood damage shortly after the king's death. However, fragments of alabaster vases, along with texts and paint fragments were discovered, and they helped identify the tomb as that of Pharaoh Thutmose the second, whose mummy had been discovered in the 1800s. Now, what makes this find significant, at least for those of us who take the book of Exodus literally, is that throughout, most of the second plays a minor role in the time of Israel. In Egypt, his father, Thutmose the first, would seem to be the pharaoh who gave the order to kill the Hebrew boys that were born. Thutmose the second was then married to his sister Hatshepsut. Now follow this. She is likely the pharaoh's daughter, the very one who rescued and raised Moses. Well, there's a lot more details to this whole story, but the bottom line is this discovery might simply be the tomb of a minor pharaoh, but it does help fill in the details of the account of the first 40 years of Moses life in Exodus one and two. Boy, that is amazing, right? Hey, we'd love for you to visit our website, The land and the book. Org where you can access our podcast. A great tool to stay in touch throughout the week, and a neat way to share this ministry with a friend. Somebody who doesn't live anywhere near a radio station that carries the program. So check out the podcast at the Land and the book. Org. Also, we'd love for you to email your question. That question that's been nagging you as you go through Scripture and wonder, what's that there for? Email your question to the land and the book@moody.edu. Just ahead, a fascinating look at people in Scripture who memorize scripture. We've got some compelling examples for you, and some bonus tips for your own Bible memory as well. On the land and the book. Oh sure, you've heard you're supposed to memorize the Bible, but what about the people in the pages of Scripture itself? Did any of them memorize whatever portions of the Bible they had back then? Coming up, a fascinating look at people in Scripture who memorized Scripture. We've got some pretty compelling examples for you and some bonus tips as well. A welcome to the second segment of Moody Radio's broadcast The Land and the book. I'm John Gager, inviting you to envision with me what it might look like to take just another step in walking with your Jewish friend or co-worker. So I've noticed in the past that when I try to bring up Messiah Yeshua with a Jewish friend. Invariably, the conversation comes to a screeching halt. It's not like there's an openness toward further discussion, even when there's a friendship that pre-exists. What's going on? Let me ask Justin Cronin of Chosen People Ministries. What's going on?
S3: Yeah, John, I think we need to understand that it's been drilled into the hearts and minds of Jewish people for decades, for centuries, that Jesus is not for Jews. And if a Jewish person were to embrace Jesus as their Messiah, they're going to be rejected by their family, by their closest friends. And so when they weigh the cost, their immediate thought is, no, I'm not going to lose those friendships. I'm not going to lose my respect, if you will, within my community.
S2: My standing.
S3: And my standing. And so it's just an immediate reaction of nope, not interested, don't want to go there. I don't want to deal with that pain or that struggle that might come as a result of even considering that Jesus might be the Messiah.
S2: So what's a reasonable response to that? Well, just. And I will have to pick that up in a conversation in the future. Justin Crone is with Chosen People Ministries and joins us today on the Land and the book. Professor Tom Meyer, the Bible Memory Man, is a guest speaker at churches and conferences where he presents the Bible spoken dramatically from memory in an engaging and powerful manner. Tom is also a professor at Shasta Bible College and the author of the Memorization Study Bible. He's become kind of a fan favorite here on the program. So welcome back to the land and the book. Tom.
S4: Thank you. Great to be back.
S2: Well, the notion of people in Scripture, memorizing scripture goes all the way back to the Israelites. Take us to Joshua chapter one and the scene that unfolds there. Tom.
S4: Well, that's a great place to start. You know, we have these verses in Deuteronomy that remind us of the the family educational structure where we had verses in the Torah like, you know, repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you're at home, while you're on the road, when you're getting up from Deuteronomy six, as you know. And so with this knowledge that the children of Israel now have, of the word of the living God, and just about to enter into Canaan, Joshua receives a divine revelation. And that is the instruction that this book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate therein day and night, that you may be able to do according to all that is written therein. Then shall you make your ways prosperous, then shall you will have good success. So once that seven year war, when you do the math, it's the conquest of seven years. You can deduce that from chapter 14 of Joshua. But after that seven year war, these unconquered Canaanites that you're living next to are quote unquote, going to work with. They don't think in practice like you do. And in order for the ancient Israelites not to become like them, they were to do what? To have this book of the law not depart out of their mouth. To have those words that their parents taught them when they were children, that they repeated to them over and over and over again, would have dwelt inside them, and they would make the right choice when no one is looking. Well, except God. That they would obey God's law.
S2: Well, we see the command for a lifestyle of memorizing scripture as far back as the book of Deuteronomy. Take us there.
S4: It's true. Like I touched on earlier, you know, we have that famous verse from chapter six, which is kind of repeated again in chapter 11 where we have these, these admonitions again and again to recite God's instructions from memory, lest they be forgotten. And it's so easy to forget, isn't it? I mean, that's why the ancient Israelites, even to this day, some of them wear tassels, don't they?
S2: That's right.
S4: And it's so easy to forget, because behind these wondrous acts like, you know, the exodus out of Egypt and etcetera, right? So the loving, faithful and fearful God who doesn't change, and these accounts of God's deliverance, these works of Yahweh, were to be taught to all generations. This is the basis for godly living. This is the basis for obedience. This is our God. And then, you know, then they could speak. And God spake all these words, saying, I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage, etc. because they were there, they were eyewitnesses. Many of them were right at the giving of the Torah. And so whether it's in Deuteronomy with this emphasis, like we touched on right in chapter six and 11 with the family education, or whether it's after that event in the wilderness wanderings and about to enter into the back door of Canaan and attack Jericho from beginning to end, is that the spiritual condition of people's hearts was was most important to God. And having the word hidden in the heart, of course, is the best way not to sin against them. As David would later say.
S2: People in Scripture who memorized scripture, that's our conversation on the land and the book with professor Tom Meyer, the Bible Memory man. You know, David himself offered us one of the most famous statements about Scripture memory in Psalm 119 verse 111. Some of our listeners can quote it, but why don't you take us there, Tom?
S4: That's a great passage to go to, John. Remember to start in verse nine where it says wherewithal, or how shall the young man cleanse his way? That's the million dollar question that we want for us and our kids and our grandkids, right? Right. How do we clean our way? How do we walk with the Lord? How do we walk in the spirit, etc.? Wherewithal? Or how shall men cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word, with my whole heart? O let me not wander from thy commandments. And here we go, the famous one. Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee. So that's the number one reason why, whether we live in the economy, the era of the children of Israel way back when, or the church today, God's people have always been instructed to hide His word in their heart, so they don't sin against him. And God has, as you know, John, he has no greater joy than his children walk in truth, just like we who are parents have no greater joy than when our children walk in truth. And what greater truth to walk in than the light of his word?
S2: King Solomon was big on Scripture memory. Where do we find the evidence for that, Tom?
S4: Yeah, he does seem to be big on his scripture memory, but when he got older, it seemed maybe like it didn't stick as much as it did right when he was younger. You know, and that's a warning to us, right? Even the devil can quote scripture, right? Yeah. He quotes Psalm 91, doesn't he? And Matthew chapter four, I believe when he's tempting the Lord Jesus. But you're right. Solomon was a product in many ways of his environment. That is to say, he lived in a world where the student was the son and the teacher's the father. That kind of mindset. And so we have that phraseology or proverbs a lot like my son, write these words upon the table of thine heart. Well that's perfect. There it is. Write these words on the tablet, depending on your translation of your heart, because the author knows that the heart is the inner control center of the person, you know, the heart is the part of us that the Lord is most concerned with, because out of it come all the issues of life, and with a well-stocked heart, full of Torah, of the oracles of the living God. Then ideally, we won't sin against him.
S2: Professor Tom Meyer, the Bible Memory man, is a guest speaker at churches and conferences where he presents the Bible spoken dramatically from memory in an engaging and powerful manner. Hey Tom, let's switch gears and move into the New Testament in Matthew 538. Jesus told everyday people in the first century, you have heard that it was said, sounds to me like he's referring to commonly known scripture. Your thoughts?
S4: It is true, John. You know, they lived in a world so much different than ours, didn't they? In many ways, yes, it's the same God yesterday, today and forever. Right? But on the other hand, they lived on the other side of the world in an oral world. We live in a in a written world in many regards. You know, so these people in the first century way obviously before then. Right. The only way to get access to the word of the living God is to hear it read aloud in a church service. Once the church is born on Pentecost, or one of the the high holy feasts in the temple, as you know, three times a year. But by going to those events at the temple, you know, Josephus says that they know the Word of God better than their own name. And so these people, the Lord Jesus is talking to, they're not fools. These people are well versed, even though they live far away from Jerusalem in the Galilee. You know, they're well versed in the history of God's people. And they knew his word. And when you have verses like that, it goes to show us that we have people like King David, right. Who's a king who memorized God's Word. We have prophets, right, who memorize God's Word. And we have common people here, perfect, right, who hide God's Word in their heart, just like us.
S2: Paul was probably the Scripture memory overachiever of his day. Paul quotes Luke's Gospel in first Timothy 518, but there's a whole lot more than that. Take us, for example, to Colossians 116. If I'm not being too specific to draw on that.
S4: Well, um, there are almost like 300 Quotes. Just like direct quotes from what I can count from the Old Testament in the New Testament. Okay, by the author. So that means the authors had all of those quotes memorized when the Holy Spirit inspired them to move them along. What they wrote, they wrote it without error, but they used their own personality and backgrounds to draw upon all those memorized verses that they had, and no one was better at that, like you said, than than Paul, who sat at the feet of Gamaliel. Right. As a young Jewish student. Right. He would have known the Torah backwards and forwards, up and down, left and right. And he brought that skill set, didn't he?
S2: I just want to look at this. Verse 16. It says, for by him all things were created in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities, all things were created through him and for him. And that would include Scripture itself.
S4: It would 100%. But I was thinking more along the lines of like 316.
S2: Okay, go for 316 then. Yeah.
S4: Because that's the one that says that's a good one too. You mentioned, but that the command to let the word of Christ dwell in you. You know the word richly?
S2: Yeah.
S4: Where do we let the word of Christ dwell richly on our phone? No. On our bookshelf? No. In your heart. In us. And then, as you know, he says it a different way, doesn't he, in Ephesians, when he commands us to to speak to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. So during our downtime, when we're standing in line at the store, whether we're in traffic or whatever, one of the best ways to redeem that time is not only to pray, to let our requests be made known unto God, but also during that downtime is to speak to ourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, and by doing that by reciting the Word of God to ourselves, it puts the mind of the living God right there. And we don't always act on what we know to be true. We know it's more precious than rubies. We know it's more to be desired than anything. It's more precious than gold. The Word of God. Right? And to be able in that downtime, to have that and reach and think on it and dwell on it, you do it all the time. You understand how it works, right? The benefits are amazing.
S2: Yeah. For sure. In Ephesians 519, Paul commands believers to be speaking to yourself in Psalms. We've referenced this, uh, you know, wouldn't you love to know how much scripture Paul memorized?
S4: Well, he would be the first one, probably to tell you that he would have never counted the verses. I know verses don't come in until the 16th century AD, and and chapters don't come in until approximately the 12th century AD, but still, you know, he was the kind of guy you would think, right, who was humble, who was meek, right? Who believed in the power of the word of God. And that's just it. You know, at the early church services, he commanded them in first Timothy chapter four, verse 13, until I come to devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, see, even to this very day when I lived in Jerusalem for four years, I would ask the cantors, the the leaders in the synagogue, how did the people memorize to this day in Jerusalem and the synagogues? And they would tell me by hearing it, read the scriptures, read aloud. So 2000 years later, this tradition still exists. So by the public proclamation in first Timothy 413 of the scriptures, that's how really in that early church period where no one had a copy at home, where you could hear the Word of God, where you could meditate it, and then you could memorize it.
S2: Well, is it an overstatement to say that a Christian cannot fully please God without an ongoing lifestyle of Scripture memory?
S4: Oh, I don't know about that. That's a big one there. You know, it's like I grew up most of my life when all I knew was John 316 and Genesis one one, so I was I still please God. But I think the way I would put it is I was I was not fully equipped. Yeah, but I was just left so much on the table. Yes. You know, and to have that word in your heart, no matter where you are, no matter what you're doing, it not only puts the mind of God within reach, it provides you with words of comfort for yourself, for others. It provides us with our weapon of choice, etc..
S2: Well, what's a first step for somebody who says, you know, I'm hearing what you're saying. I, you know, I'd like to do this. I want to memorize, but I struggle. My mind just doesn't seem to be able to retain scripture. It doesn't retain anything anymore. What's your counsel for us?
S4: Join the club. Welcome to humanity. I forget everything all the time. I have to write it down. But in all seriousness, the best way to go about this ancient but all important discipline is the number one. Ask the Lord Jesus to help you. Ask for help. I know it sounds like. What? No, but seriously, ask him to help you. Number one. Number two. Pick something with light at the end of the tunnel. Like you memorize some psalms, John? Yes, something like that. Something that's doable. Right. And then shoot for 1 or 2 verses a week and you'll see that it's difficult. Okay. It's hard. It's like exercising. And then some people do it when the new year starts, you know they don't want to do it, but they're glad they've done it down the road. Right. Because they see the results. And this is just bodily exercise which profits little. Okay. Start memorizing chapters, verses, etc. and you'll see over time how it's going to have more of the mind of Christ in you. It'll transform your thinking. It'll transform your practice. It will make you hopefully a better father, a better friend, a better, etc. because you have more of that mind of Christ in you.
S5: Yes.
S2: Well, that's a great encouragement, Tom, for all of us. And I thank you for your insights. People in Scripture who memorize Scripture. We're talking today with Tom Meyer, who's kind of the Bible memory man. Thanks for your conversation, Tom.
S5: Thank you.
S2: Coming up on the land and the book, we're looking at a fresh set of Bible questions. Stick around for more on the land and the book. Here at the land of the book, we really love what we do, and we really love it when people like you make the effort to send your Bible questions our way, because there's nothing better than wrestling with some of these issues and in most cases, finding some answers. Of course, we can't find an answer to every single question you might have, but there's an awful lot of it that we can. Hi, I'm John Gager sitting with me in the studio, doctor Gerald Peterman of the Moody Bible Institute. Faculty capable and qualified. He's got plenty of enthusiasm and his Bible is open. And let's get right to our questions after I talk to you about a Seder. What does Passover mean for us as believers in Jesus? Some might remember the story from the book of Exodus, but there's a whole lot more to it. You know, the Last Supper was really a Passover meal. And not only did Jesus and his disciples celebrate Passover, it also foreshadowed his death on the cross for our redemption. Jewish people, of course, have been observing the feast of Passover for thousands of years. So understanding the history, the importance of this holiday will help us better connect with our Jewish friends and neighbors. Boy, what better way is there to learn about Passover than to experience a Passover Seder yourself? If you've never celebrated Passover? Well, our friends at Life in Messiah would love to partner with you in hosting a Seder experience. Every year their staff engaged churches and small groups in an interactive Messiah in the Passover Seder, allowing participants to taste and see the redemption story. And if you're interested in having somebody come to lead a Seder in your area, your church, visit life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to learn more. That's life in messiah.org. Ready for our first question?
S6: Yes, sir.
S2: This one from Peggy, who is currently in a Bible study about heaven. And she says one of the Catholic ladies at our study brought up the Apostle's Creed and the part that says Jesus descended into hell. Since Jesus is God and hell is separation from God. I commented that perhaps there's a different meaning to that part of the Apostle's Creed. Another person tied this in with revelation 118 and said, Jesus descended to hell to get the keys to free the saints who had been waiting to go to heaven. Is there any scripture to back up any of these thoughts?
S7: Creeds are very important, and there are creeds in and outside of Scripture, and the Apostles Creed is one of the oldest ones. But we should keep in mind that the Creed developed over the course of time in the early church. So the Apostles Creed is first developed in the second century, and then it's changed and transformed. And the oldest written version of that creed is called the Old Roman Creed, that dates to around 340 A.D., and this oldest version makes no reference to a descent into hell. The descent into hell was added to the Creed about a century later, and the Book of Common Prayer, used by the Anglican Church uses the old version of the Creed without the descent into hell. So I just want to say that not all Christians believe in a descent into hell, and no passage of Scripture specifically mentions one. Yet a verse that sometimes used is Ephesians four eight and nine. They say, therefore it says, when he ascended on high, he led host captives, and then he gave gifts to men in saying he ascended, what does it mean but that he also descended to the lower regions, that is the earth. Here the descent is coming down from heaven to earth in becoming human. Now about our Lord Jesus freeing people from hell. There are very good reasons to believe that rather than going to hell temporarily when God's people die, they go instead to a place of comfort and blessing. Let me mention a couple of these. In Luke 16, our Lord tells a parable about the rich man and Lazarus. I suggest you read it. It is wonderful. After the death of the rich man, he goes to a place of torment and punishment. But Lazarus goes to a place of comfort next to Abraham. Likewise, in Luke, Jesus promises to the thief on the cross that at death he will be with Jesus in Paradise that day. And in Philippians one, Paul says that at death he will be with Christ. Now, as for the keys, this passage is revelation one, verses 17 and 18. I'm going to read that. Then I saw him. I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his hand on me, saying, fear not. I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold, I am alive forevermore. I have the keys of death and Hades. When one has keys, one has power and authority. So death and hell have no power over Jesus. He has power over them.
S2: That's Doctor Gerald Peterman, who's happy to answer your Bible questions with an email to the land and the book@moody.edu. Helen talks about a friend who was studying Joshua at the end of his life. He's challenging the people to continue to follow the true God, and he set up a stone of witness. And she was thinking about Jesus on Palm Sunday when he said that if the people were quiet, even the rocks would cry out. And she wonders if he was referring to the stones of witness in the Old Testament. I'd never taken it that way, but I was curious. Do we know if there were any stones of witness near where Jesus was when he said that?
S7: It's hard to say that so many centuries have passed with comings and goings and buildings and war. There's no evidence of ancient witness stones like the ones set up at the time of Joshua. But if you've ever traveled in Israel, and I hope you get a chance to do that, then you know that the territory can be very rocky, very uneven, very difficult. And as our Lord is coming in to Jerusalem in Luke 19, this is the triumphal entry. This is the passage we're talking about. The Pharisees hear the crowd saying about Jesus, Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord. And they say, teacher, rebuke your disciples. And Jesus says in response, I tell you, if they keep silent, the stones will cry out. There will be stones all around on the path. And again, when our Lord is tempted by the devil, he says, if you're the Son of God, command these stones to become bread, because they're just all over the place. Right. So it's very rocky territory.
S2: Okay. This is the land in the book from Moody Radio doctor Gerald Peterman answering our Bible questions like this one from Mary, who takes us to second Samuel 12, verse eight, where Nathan tells David what God said of David, I gave your master's house to you and your master's wives into your arms, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if that wasn't enough, I would have given you even more. She wants to know is this verse saying that God gave David more than one wife, and that he approved of David's polygamy? Doesn't Romans 325 indicate that God passed over some sins, particularly that of adultery, among Old Testament saints?
S7: Oh, thanks so much for the question. God did not and does not approve of polygamy during the time period of Israel's kings, God was tolerating it. One of the reasons that Saul's family comes to David is that that family needs a provider and a protector. Saul dies, all of Saul's sons die in war. Who's going to take care of the family? So the family comes to David so he can be their protector. But again, God does not approve of multiple wives. We know this. We know this from Deuteronomy 17. In Deuteronomy 17, we hear this Israel, when you go into the land and you want a king, this is what the king should do. The king should not multiply wives for himself. Deuteronomy 1717. So monogamy, one husband, one wife has always been God's pattern. We see that in Ephesians five. We see that in the book of Proverbs. And of course we see it in Genesis one and two. Now there was also a question about Romans 325 about God passing over sins. This is an important passage, so let's read it in its context. Verses 24 and 25 say we were justified by his grace as a gift through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This is to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he passed over former sins. The passing over former sins is not punishing them to the degree they deserved. Old Testament sacrifices did not punish our sins to the degree they deserved that punishment. All of it went on. Jesus.
S2: Eric takes us to Proverbs 18, which speaks about the mouth and the power of our words. Proverbs 18 verses seven and 21. Eric wants to know, is the writer referring to words coming from the mouth as having the potential to be harmful for your soul, as well as bringing forth good results or bad results in the lives of others?
S7: Yes, that is so right. Words have the potential to be very helpful and very destructive. I'm sure many of our listeners have experienced that. A harsh and critical word spoken in anger can be very discouraging or cause a rift in a relationship, but a timely word of encouragement can be just what is needed for someone who's discouraged, I'm reminded of James chapter three. The tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life for every kind of beast and bird or reptile or sea creature can be tamed and has been tamed by man. But no human being can tame the tongue. It's a restless evil, full of deadly poisons. So we should be very careful. Speech is a gift of God.
S2: Restless, full of deadly poison. That's our tongues. Wow. Good morning. Good words. There. Thank you, Doctor Peterman. Talk about the value of an interlinear Bible as we search through these questions that we've got. What is an interlinear Bible? Somebody might ask.
S7: An interlinear is where you have your first language. Say your first language is English an English translation. And then right below it or right above it, you have the original language, whether that language is Greek or Hebrew. So you can kind of see how they're related. So you can kind of begin to get a feel for your Bible's original languages by way of using your interlinear.
S2: So an interlinear Bible, if you were to purchase one, is quite expensive. However, I routinely use one online. If you just do a Google search for Interlinear Bible Bingo, you're in and you're having fun.
S7: Oh, absolutely. And they're going to be several web pages where you can access these.
S2: So it's a great way to study the Bible for yourself and get to the original languages for yourself. So check out Interlinear Bible next time you're online. Well, we've got another segment to come on the broadcast. Want to say thank you to Gerald Peterman, who returns next week with Charlie Dyer is back with his devotional next here on the land and the book. If you like the book of Isaiah, I do. We're headed there next here on the land and the book. Welcome back to this fourth and final segment. It's Charlie Dyer's devotional. Charlie, I'm intrigued with your title, Shebna Tomb. I'm saying to myself, who is Shebna? Where is his tomb and why should we care so much?
S8: Yeah, and I think most people are going. Yeah, I don't recall that name either. Hopefully by the time we're done, it'll be unforgettable for them.
S2: All right. Let's pause first, though, and check in with an Israel traveler who has an experience that they want to relate to us now in this testimony.
S9: This was an amazing trip. It just brings the Bible to life. When I teach the children about places in the Bible, I can relate to them and tell them where they've been and it. I've also known and learned a lot that the wilderness is not a group of trees, and it's just amazing how awesome the country of Israel is and just brings the Bible to life and really enjoy it.
S10: My name is Anne, and I would just like to say in my 40 some odd years of studying the Bible in a Bible teaching church, I never realized what the wilderness really looked like. And on this trip, to see that, and to know that Naomi and Ruth traveled over that land and that Christ was in the wilderness. And just to see the difference in what I thought was some area that had green trees and everything, and to know that it's dry rocks, hard and such a hard land to travel over. It just was very moving to me.
S2: All right. We're continuing your series 11 inscriptions in the Bible. Right, Charlie?
S8: That's right, John. And we've reached the fourth week in that series. We're exploring written inscriptions uncovered by archaeologists that provide insight into our understanding of God's Word. And today's inscription takes us to the British Museum. Now, I love exploring the British Museum. It's a virtual treasure trove of artifacts tracing the history of civilization through the ages. We could spend days here looking at all the different pieces, but today we're heading to the upper floor to visit the rooms devoted to the Middle East. And our focus is an object that can easily be missed because it's positioned just to the left and near the top of the doorway leading into room 57. Now pause here with me and look up at this rough hewn piece of limestone just above our heads. That piece of stone was hacked from the entrance to a tomb on the Mount of Olives, just across the Kidron Valley from the original city of David. You can see that it has an inscription written in the ancient Hebrew script, and which was partially destroyed when someone cut through the limestone to expand the opening into the tomb. Now, do I detect a look of disappointment on your face? There are many fascinating objects here in the museum, and I get the impression that this piece of limestone, with its chiseled inscription, doesn't seem that interesting. And from watching others walk through the museum, I know you're not alone. Most don't even stop to look up at the piece, and those who do barely give it a fleeting glance. But that begs the question, so what are we doing here? Looking at it? Well, for those who stop to read the translation and who know the Bible, this inscribed piece of limestone has a fascinating story to tell. As I said before, this three lined inscription was carved into the rock over the entrance to a tomb just across from the city of David. It was discovered by a French archaeologist and eventually made its way into the British Museum. Later, an Israeli epigraphist, a person who specializes in studying inscriptions, determined that the style of writing was the same as the inscription found in Hezekiah's tunnel, meaning it was written about the same time he reconstructed the inscription to read as follows. This is the tomb of Shebna Yahu, the royal steward. There is no silver or gold here, only his bones and the bones of his maidservant. With him cursed be the man who opens this. A part of the person's name was missing, but there are two clues as to his identity. The last part of his name was Yah or Yahoo, the covenant name of God, and the individual identified himself as the royal steward. The royal steward was the treasurer, or in today's terms, the comptroller or CFO. He's the one who controlled the royal purse strings of Judah. And those clues, along with the dating of the inscription, narrowed down the search for the identity of this person to just one man in the Bible, a man named Shebna or Shebna Yahu. And we learn about Shebna and his tomb in Isaiah 22. Last week we looked at Isaiah's message to Hezekiah and the people of Judah as they were making preparations to defend themselves against a threatened attack by Assyria. It was a time of national calamity, a time when people needed to. Refocus their priorities and turn to God for help. But one of the major stumbling blocks was a self-centered, materialistic. What's in it for me attitude that stretched all the way up into the royal court and the royal steward, Shebna was perhaps one of the most flagrant examples of everything that was wrong with the country. Here's the message Isaiah had for Shebna. Thus says the Lord God of hosts, come, go to this steward to Shebna, who's in charge of the royal household. What right do you have here? And whom do you have here that you have hewn a tomb for yourself here? You who carve a resting place for yourself in the rock. The nation was on its last legs militarily, economically and spiritually, and Shebna was spending all his time working on a lasting monument to himself at a time when Judah needed trusted leaders, the head of the royal household was acting like some pharaoh, diverting resources to build himself a tomb. God's judgement was very direct and appropriate. God announced through Isaiah that Shebna would be deposed from his office and taken captive into a foreign country, where he would die. All Shebna plans for a fancy burial would be for naught. He wouldn't be using the tomb he had spent so much time preparing, and the only part of his memorial to himself that would survive the ages would be the inscription over the doorway, with most of his name chiseled out by someone thousands of years later who had no idea what he was defacing. Now take another look at the carving. It's not particularly pretty or dramatic, but it fills in the blanks on why God had Isaiah condemn this royal steward named Shebna. But what lessons can we take with us as we leave here today? I'd like to suggest to first. Like Shebna, we also live in uncertain times economically, spiritually and morally. These are times that call for dedication and sacrifice on the part of all who claim to be followers of Christ. But way too many Christians are spending their time and their resources on only themselves. God is looking for faithful stewards and that involves using our resources wisely for him. Second, Isaiah ends this section by announcing Shebna replacement, Eliakim. God then says to this new faithful steward, I will set the key of the house of David on his shoulder. When he opens, no one will shut, and when he shuts, no one will open, and I will drive him like a peg in a firm place. It's no accident that this same imagery was used later in the Book of Revelation to describe Jesus as Jesus spoke to the church in Philadelphia, a church which also faced difficult times, he described himself this way he who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts, and no one opens, says this I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept my word, and have not denied my name. The ultimate faithful servant is Jesus, and he's promised to help and protect those of us who are committed to being faithful to him in spite of circumstances. The museum is getting ready to close, so it's time to leave. But look back at the Shebna inscription one last time and ask yourself this what kind of steward am I being with all that God has given to me? Am I building a monument to myself, or am I using the resources he's entrusted to me to make an eternal difference for him? Let's make sure we don't end up like Shebna. If you'd like to see photos of this three lined Shebna inscription on display in the British Museum along with the explanatory sign. Be sure to head over to our land in the book Facebook page where I'll post those pictures.
S2: Thank you Charlie. You know, there's something about seeing it for yourself that just brings it all alive. This is not just a, you know, two dimensional. It's three dimensional. It's real. It happened. Charlie, thank you for bringing our attention to this great story. If it's been a while since you've written us, we'd love to hear from you. Connect with you. Find out how God is using the program in your life. We're just a quick email away. Here's how you write to us at The Land and the book@moody.edu. That's the land and the book@moody.edu. Also visit our website, The land and the book org where you can check out today's guest, past guests, future programs, and more. That's the land and the book.org. Thanks for your company. Appreciate having you along today. The land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.