S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with me, Michael Ray Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. We're sitting around the radio kitchen table taking your questions. Now's the time to give me a call if you would like. It's always good. At the beginning of the hour, there's some couple of lines open. Uh, the phone number is (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. If you can't call, just go to our website, Open Line radio.org. Or if you can't get through after a couple of minutes. And when you go to the website Open Line radio.org, there's a link that says Ask Michael a question. You can click over there, fill out the form, put your question in and it will show up in a mailbag in a future week. I do hope you have your Bibles open. I hope you have a second cup of coffee. We're ready to talk about the scriptures. We're going to. Actually, something I hardly ever do is pick up the question that Carolyn had calling from Geneva, Illinois, last hour. Uh, I'm sorry I ran out of time with you, Carolyn, but I'm glad you stuck with us here. Uh, are you still there with me?
S2: I am right here.
S1: Okay, so the question is based on the book 50 Most Important Bible Questions. Let's see if I got this right that I talked about. Nothing will separate us from the love of God. Romans 838 and 39 that we can't even separate ourselves because we're part of this world. We can't separate ourselves from the love of God. And yet, uh, there are people in your Bible study group who say that they have a loved one who used to, you know, went through all the different things, went forward, trusted the Lord, uh, went to camps and now they deny the faith. Have they lost their salvation? Have I gotten it right? Is that the question?
S2: Perfectly right.
S1: Okay, well, I want to suggest, first of all, to read chapter four, not just chapter three, because in chapter four, I try to address those very kinds of objections that people have to what I said in chapter three. So so chapter four is there.
S2: So all right.
S1: Got to keep reading. But let me just mention a couple of things. First of all, we want to go with what the scriptures teach and not based on our experiences. I think that's something that's really important, uh, that the the lens of Scripture is really clear about our security. It doesn't persist, doesn't pertain to perseverance of the saints. It's really more about perseverance of the Savior. Once he has us in his hands, he's not going to let go if he could lose one of us. John 637 through 40 says, then he's not who he claimed to be, and always doing the will of the father. He says, I always do the will of the father. Uh, John 637 through 40. Uh, and this is the will of my father, of the one who sent me, that I lose none of those he's given to me. So I think that it's important we go with Scripture. Uh, there are some verses that might confuse people, but I think a good biblical principle is to interpret the unclear verses in light of, uh, the really clear ones, like Romans 838 and 39 and then.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Uh, third, sometimes we take verses like, uh, that might talk about losing rewards and turn them into verses Versus talk and allege that they mean losing salvation. But no, that's it's just loss of rewards. But here's a really important one. And and this is hard for people to accept that it might be might be I don't know for sure because no one knows their heart but God. It might be that they were not genuine believers. It says.
S2: Yeah.
S1: It says in first John two verse 19 that they went out from us, but they were really not of us, not really of us. For if they had been of us, they would have remained with us. But if they went out, uh, but they went out so that it would be shown that they all are not of us. And I would give the other verse is in Matthew 723, when the people say, oh, Lord, look at all the wonderful things we did in your name. And the Lord says, depart from me. I never knew you not. You lost it, but you never had it.
S2: So yeah.
S1: It's okay for young people often to kind of mimic what looks like faith. But when it comes down to it, when the rubber hits the road, they decide not to believe. I don't think they're losing their faith, although some of them may come back around and, uh, and I that's our great hope. And it demonstrates that they really did believe. But some of them, it just demonstrates that they, they never really genuinely believed. Okay.
S2: Yeah. Yeah. Okay.
S1: So read chapter.
S2: Four.
S1: Okay Carolyn.
S2: I will they didn't circle chapter four but I'm going to make them I'm going to make them add that on to the list.
S1: Okay. Great. Appreciate it Carolyn. Thanks for your call. Uh, my we're going to talk to, uh, Myra in Rome, Georgia, right now. Uh, I don't know how you're listening, but I'm glad you are. Uh, welcome to Open Line. How can I help you?
S3: Hi. Um, I just had a question, because I've recently been struggling with, um, finding an explanation or, um, a reason to children's suffering. Um, particularly, um, more on the, um, I guess extreme evils like rape, trafficking or murder. Um, I know that God is a good God, and I'm Christian, and I know that the Bible says what Satan meant for evil. God meant it for good. Um, but I'm still struggling with, um, an explanation for children who are completely vulnerable. Um, and I I've tried, um, searching online and the internet, um, for answers. And I decided to call in.
S1: Um. Well, I don't think there's any easy answer to this. I do know that that, uh, the Lord's heart breaks over the evil that is done to anyone at any time, but in particular, these little ones. Remember he said, anyone that, uh, uh, harms one of these little ones. It'd be better to have a millstone tied around his neck and tie it around him and cast into the sea. Right. So, uh, there is, uh, a great deal of compassion for anyone who is a child that suffered these horrible things. And I think that there's compassion from God for the children. And also, uh, there's, uh, justice that will those who do them, they will have to face the justice of God one day. Uh, another aspect I think that's really important is that we live in a fallen world. And when God set up Adam and Eve in the garden, if they were to obey, it was going to be a it was a perfect environment. But once they passed the test, I think it would have even been an assured, certain perfect environment. But they didn't pass the test. And as a result, the world is fallen. And when we read in the book of Romans, it talks about how the whole creation is awaiting redemption, that all the evil in the world that's happening makes us long for the day when the King will sit on the throne, and he will execute justice immediately, and he'll protect and guard against this kind of evil happening. But right now, because of the decision of our forefathers, we live in a fallen world that causes us to long for the day of redemption. And what God does now is he will, I believe, uh, bring compassion when these things happen. But a lot of us think God's going to intervene immediately when evil things are happening in the world. I don't think we can accept that, but God can use the evil to bring about good. Sometimes we can't see it. Uh, one of the things that that God does is he turns some of these children who have been misused or hurt. Uh, their redemption and their transformed life brings greater glory to him. Uh, I think that's something that God can do. He creates heroes through that. We'd never understand the perfect world that God would or long for it, that God's going to make. Were it not for the suffering that happens here in this world. So those are some of the reasons, but I don't think there's any simple explanation. But I do think that we do need to know where it comes from. It comes from the fallen world that we live in. Uh, does that help at all, Mary?
S3: Yes, that does help. Thank you.
S1: I just want you to think. To know this. Anyone that's been abused that way, talking about it being a fallen world. That's not the best answer, and it's the true answer, but it doesn't take away the pain. I often compare talking about that with like a little boy, a toddler that sticks his finger in the outlet, the electrical outlet and gets the shock of his life, and he's crying in pain, and his mom goes to him and, uh, and she says, well, let me explain to you how electricity works. That's not going to help. What does she do? She takes him in her arms and she comforts him. And I think that's why the Bible says we rejoice with those who rejoice, and we weep with those who weep when we encounter people who have been hurt this way, what we need to do is weep with them, not explain to them, okay?
S3: Okay.
S1: Yeah. Thanks for your call. I really appreciate it. Mayor, thank you so much. Uh, and, uh, We're going to take a break. If you have a question, you can call (877) 548-3675. This is open line. You can ask any question you're thinking about about the Bible, God or the spiritual life. I'll do my best to answer it. Stay with us. We're going to come right back with more of your questions in just a moment. Right here on Moody Radio's Open Line with me, Michael Ray Dalton. Welcome back to Open Line. My name is Michael Radonich. So glad that you're listening in today as we talk about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. Everything really revolves around the scriptures here, and I know that people love the the Word of God. That's why they listen to this program. But have you ever wondered how he got the Bible? The story of the Bible, written by Carl Laney, takes us on a fascinating journey through the development of Scripture, from divine inspiration all the way to modern translations. Doctor Laney, who was a professor for many, many years at Western Baptist Seminary, reveals how God gave us his word. Uh, this book will give us a great deal of confidence in the Bible's reliability. It will answer questions that you've always had. And how do you get it? Well, we want to say thank you for your gift of any size, and we'd like to send you a copy. Uh, it's it's, uh, something that we appreciate. You know, so often people send a gift in, and, and we want to look for a way with our current resource to say thank you to them. And if you've listened to Open Line and appreciate the program and would would like to give a gift, we really would appreciate it, even if you've never given before. I think this is, uh, just. It would be so appreciated. And not only that, we want to show that appreciation by sending you the story of the Bible by Carl Laney. How do you get it? Well, uh, with your gift of any size, call (888) 644-7122. That's (888) 644-7122. Or you can go to open line radio.org. And you can give your gift there. Remember ask for the story of the Bible by Carl Laney. Well I want to talk about a call from, uh, earlier someone called up and want to know about slaying in the spirit, and I talked about it and said I didn't think it was a work of the spirit. I didn't mean to offend people. Someone called and said, you know, I shouldn't judge. I wasn't trying to judge. In fact, there are many people who say that since it's not mentioned in Scripture. Uh, that it it's, uh, you know, that it's something from the enemy. I don't think it's from the enemy. Here's what I think it is. And I was not trying to judge. I think it's a surge of adrenaline, just like those, uh, young women who saw Elvis and got all filled with adrenaline and and collapsed. Sometimes I think there are people doing that. And then there are others who don't want to appear. This is what a testimony that I have received from various people, that they don't want to seem unspiritual so that they go down as well, even though they don't have that surge of adrenaline. That's not trying to judge people, that's just trying to evaluate something that we're seeing happen. And I'm sorry if you took it that way. Listen, I really do believe and I say this all the time, if there's one thing that's going to get people annoyed with me, uh, there are many things I specialize in annoying people. No, no, but, uh, if there's something that's going to annoy people with an answer I give, it's when I comment on, uh, some things that are happening in the charismatic world, it's not because I'm trying to be unkind. I just want to answer it as best I can, biblically and practically. Uh, that's all I'm trying to do. But I do really believe that what we need to do is love each other. I think, for example, the purpose of First Corinthians 13, set in the section of First Corinthians 12 through 14, all about spiritual gifts is not so that we would argue with each other, but we should exercise our gifts with love. And that's what I really feel for my my charismatic brothers and sisters. I wasn't trying to judge, I was just trying to explain. So if that's, uh. I hope that helps you, Anna, with your call. I know you're not there anymore, but that's what I wanted to address. Uh, and we're going to go to the phones now and talk to Bob in New York. Uh, listening on the app. Welcome to Open Line. Bob. How can I help you?
S4: Uh, Shalom, doctor Redlich. A pleasure to speak to you, sir. Um, I had a question, sir, in the passage in First Corinthians 219, and it's, um, a good lead in what you just said. You're not looking to pick on your charismatic brothers. I'm not looking to really, uh, pick on Roman Catholics by asking this question, but a lot of Roman Catholics use First Kings 219 as the picture of saying that. See here Jesus is Enthroning Mary at his side. Um, it's the passage where, uh, Bathsheba comes in to speak to King Solomon. It says, and King Solomon sits upon his throne and he sets up a throne for Bathsheba. Now I'm trying to find the Hebrew words to see exactly If the throne he sets up for her is is the same word throne for his kingly throne? Or is it just more of a common seat or a chair? And I just want to get a better understanding of that in the in the Hebrew, so that I could better explain it to some of my friends who think it's the, you know, it means what I just explained that it means to them.
S1: Well, the Hebrew word is kisi, and kisi means chair. And it's used in this passage not only, uh, of, uh, her throne, but it's also used of the king's throne. It just means chair. Or when it's dealing with royalty. What is a royal chair? It's a throne. That's it. Uh, and so that's why it's translated throne. Because that's what the king sat on. And that's the kind of chair that was brought for her. That's all it is. I don't think it's talking about at all. I mean, think about what the passage is about. It's about King Solomon and Bathsheba. It's not talking about, uh, the Lord Jesus king making a throne for Mary. It's just not in that text. Uh, I.
S4: I agree with you. Like I said, that's.
S1: Yeah, I know how they take it, but that's not it. I'll tell you what it does show. Okay. And this is important. It does indicate at least honor, but likely equality, that by putting a throne next to him, he was honoring his mother by treating her as an equal. And you look at Daniel seven, and it says there that the Ancient of Days seated on the throne and thrones are set up. And then there's the Son of Man. That second throne that is set up is for the Son of Man to show equality with the Ancient of Days, the one like the Son of Man. And then take that to Psalm 110, where it says that the messianic king will sit at the right hand of the father. What does that indicating an honorific position of equality to the father. And so, more than anything else, this helps us get to the the whole point of the book of Hebrews, which is sort of an exposition of Psalm 110, which sees the Lord Jesus seated at the right hand of the father, that indicates that the son has equal honor to the father in the Triune One. God does. Does that help? Yeah.
S4: It does help. Thank you very much, doctor. I appreciate that, sir.
S1: Yeah. Thanks for thanks for the call. Appreciate it. Uh, we're going to talk to Jennifer in Palm Beach, Florida, listening on Wrnb. Welcome to Open Line, Jennifer. How can I help you?
S5: Thank you very much, Adele. I have a friend who is 103 years old. He does not believe in Jesus. When I say John 316 to her, he said, if he has done anything for you, you must know. And she's not a practicing Jew. So I asked her, you're not a practicing Jew and you don't believe in Jesus. Where are you? She did not answer. I don't know what to say to her. I know what to say to her. But I don't know how to say. She's 103.
S1: Mhm. Well, uh, she obviously sounds like a secular Jewish person. And, uh, you know, there are secular Jews who say, well, we know which God we don't believe in. So meaning.
S6: That and.
S5: And, and she thinks, okay, I'm a good person.
S6: Yeah.
S5: Her grandchildren, they are good people. They are very good children.
S6: Yeah.
S5: So. But I don't see it that way, but I don't know how to say it to her.
S6: Yeah.
S1: Well, it seems to me, uh, that, uh, probably the the best thing is to keep sharing your story.
S5: I do.
S6: Yeah. But, uh, and keep.
S1: Raising the flag and keep raising the flag of what God is doing in your life.
S6: Yes, yes I tried. Uh.
S1: And, uh, of course, sooner or later, what you, and probably sooner at her age is to let her know that at 103, she can't expect to live very much longer, that all of us one day are going to stand before God, and that the Jewish Messiah, Jesus Yeshua, is the one who has made it possible because none of us are good enough. But he's made it possible. And then you might want to just show her where in the Hebrew Bible, uh, it talks about the Jewish Messiah Yeshua. How Yeshua fulfilled that. Uh, uh, do you think you'd be able to do that?
S5: I could, if I know.
S6: Okay. Well.
S5: I cannot remember where these things are from, but I know a.
S6: Lot of scriptures here. Let me do this.
S1: For you, Jennifer. You you. Hang on. Someone else mentioned this book. 50 Most Important Bible Questions. I've got two chapters in there. You have it.
S6: Okay.
S5: Yes, I have it. I got it from you. Yes, I have it.
S6: Okay, well.
S1: The the book has a couple of chapters and you could review what's in there, uh, about, uh, the the messianic hope.
S6: Uh, okay.
S1: Here's, uh, I'm trying to find which chapter it is, but, uh, what you can do. Oh, question 29. what does the Old Testament reveal about the Messiah? That's a good question for you to review and strengthen.
S5: Okay. Thank you.
S6: And.
S1: Review that and be aware of it and then be able to explain to her, uh, what uh, go through Isaiah 53, which shows how the Messiah was going to take the punishment that we deserved.
S6: Yes.
S1: And be raised again and and encourage her to believe. I mean, she she you can't force people, but she obviously likes you and will listen.
S5: Yes she does.
S6: So.
S1: So what you want to do is. But emphasize that that you believe in the Jewish Messiah, that Jesus is the Son of David, that if he were not the Messiah of Israel, he wouldn't be the Messiah for anyone. And and that's what I would emphasize with her and tell her that, you know, we all have to all of us have to be ready to face God at any moment because we don't know what the future is. But when you're 103, it's time to get ready.
S5: That's time to be ready.
S6: I mean.
S1: I feel.
S6: Like.
S1: Whatever our age is, we need to be ready because we just don't.
S6: Know what's what's.
S1: Going to happen.
S6: But I.
S2: Know.
S6: But.
S1: Uh, and I find that a lot of times people can present the good news using the New Testament, but it would be really good idea to learn how to present the good news just using the Hebrew Bible.
S6: You know.
S1: Uh, and a good place to start is Isaiah 53, where it says, all we like sheep have gone astray. Each of us has turned to his own way. Meaning we all sin. But the Lord laid on him the iniquity of us all. Jesus died to take the punishment that we deserved. And then it says that he'll see the light of life. That means that he'll be resurrected. Uh, and so he died taking the punishment we deserved and was resurrected, proving that he is really God and that he can forgive our sins. And. And and encourage her to trust in him. You never know how she's and ask her to. Can you trust me about other things? Maybe you need to trust me about this as well.
S6: Okay, so thank you so much.
S5: Doctor.
S1: Yeah. Thank you for calling, Jennifer. And thanks God will open this woman's heart. I pray we'll be back in just a moment with more of your questions right here on Open Line. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm Michael Radonich and joining me is our producer for today to hear Haines. She's we're here for the Febc mailbag. But before we talk about well the Febc mailbag is so important because Febc partners with us to bring the mailbag to you. Far Eastern Broadcasting Company is an outstanding organization that brings the gospel to people through media and personal touch. If you want to learn more, go to their website febc. Org and listen to their podcast called Until All Have Heard. I had to say that, but to hear people are wondering who are you? Where'd you come from? Tell us about a little bit about yourself.
S7: Thank you. I am a producer here at Moody Radio. I do producing, I work a little bit with listener care, and essentially I help with several of the shows. Just making sure that the senior producers have everything that they need, that the hosts have everything that they need. And we work as a team to just make sure that the shows go forward seamlessly, and we connect with the with the engineers to just make sure that things sound good on the radio.
S6: Yeah. It's good.
S1: Hey. So where are you from?
S7: I am from originally from Alabama. And, um, spent some time in Florida, and then I moved to Chicago. Chicago. So I live in.
S1: And how long have you been at Moody?
S7: I've been at Moody since 2018.
S6: Wow.
S1: And always with Moody Radio.
S7: Always with Moody Radio. First as a writer. And then 2022, I became a producer.
S6: That's great.
S1: Well, I, I appreciate you. We always have fun when when we're we're there in the studio together. There's a lot of laughter sometimes when you and Tricia are in the back in the in the audio room while I'm on the. I can't even get your attention. You guys are falling over laughing all the time.
S7: So we do we do have a lot of fun. And, um, there are so many different components to producing, but together we just work really well. And. Thank you.
S1: Yeah, I appreciate you doing it. And, you know, I just think people have no idea how much fun we have as a team. I really believe we have a great team. Uh, a lot of times you couldn't imagine, uh, doing I couldn't imagine doing this program. When I first started, we had a call screener and me, and that was it. And an engineer. And, uh, I think that they said, we better get him a team because it's not going well.
S7: So we have our engineer, Omar, and we have Lisa as another producer.
S1: So yeah, Lisa's doing phones today, is she not?
S7: Yeah. Anthony's on phones and Anthony's Lisa's producing alongside okay.
S1: She's there.
S7: Too.
S1: And well I appreciate so much and I appreciate the team and I appreciate uh, working together. And of course, there's, uh, other members of the team that we talk about, our kitchen table partners, uh, people who not only listen regularly but give monthly so we can produce and put Open Line on the air weekly, and I appreciate them so much. Uh, the Kitchen table partners and I was going to encourage you. Some of you have actually given occasional gifts, uh, maybe because you really like the resource or you've responded that way. But, uh, if you're a regular listener and you find that open line is something that has encouraged you, helped you, instructed you, you might want to consider becoming a kitchen table partner and give monthly, uh, so that we can count on that. And if you would, we'd really appreciate it. The best way to do that is to call (888) 644-7122. Or you can go to open line radio.org. And by the way, we'll send you that Bible study moment every other week. It's an audio Bible study that comes from, uh, Tricia and me. We send it out and you get to study the Bible she produces, and I, uh, I prepared this Bible study, and it's really sometimes Eva joins me on the on the Bible study moment. It's a lot of fun, uh, to teach the Bible, uh, as a special benefit for our kitchen table partners. Again. (888) 644-7122 or open line radio.org to become a kitchen table partner. And let's let's go over some of these questions now. Okay.
S7: Absolutely. In the first hour, the first mailbag for today, we had a question from Wayne about are there any scriptures related to retirement? And then we had a call from Roy in Indiana listening through Wagner. And Roy gave us numbers 825 and it says, but at 50 years old, he is to retire from his service in the work and no longer serve. So he gave us a verse about the Levites.
S8: Yeah. Well, I.
S1: Think this verse, if you read the whole thing, the next verse as well, it affirms exactly what I was saying, that we never actually stop serving in God's kingdom. We may change when we come to retirement. And here's what I mean by that. If you look at Roman numbers 825, uh, one of the things that we, uh, don't realize is how much hard work went into, uh, the heavy labor. And at 50, it was a little too hard. And so he said he can retire from his service. He may assist his brothers to fulfill responsibilities at the tent of meeting, but he must not do the work. In other words, he can kind of assist, doesn't retire completely, go away, but rather he's still doing the work, but he's not doing the heavy lifting. That's that's what, uh, 825 and 26 is saying. It's not like he abandons the work. He still can assist his brothers in the work, but not the heavy lifting. Okay.
S7: Thank you Wayne. Thank you Roy. Thank you. Michael. It sounds like discipleship.
S1: Yeah. And and also that you don't ever retire from the service of the king.
S7: That's true, that's true. We stay on mission. Yes. We have another question from Robin in Georgia. Georgia listening through Wmw. Does Scripture tell us who King David's mother is?
S8: Mhm.
S1: I think this question comes up because there's this new TV show about House of David. Okay. And in it, it, it says that David, they've taken creative license. And what they say is David was an illegitimate child that Jesse had with a, uh, a Philistine woman, I believe is what they say. Uh, and the Bible doesn't tell us who King David's mother was, but that's a miss that that creative license that they've taken is based on a mistranslation, a misunderstanding of the words in Psalm 51 which says, in sin my mother conceived me. It doesn't mean that he was illegitimate. What it means is that he was born with a sin nature. Uh, with sin. I guess you could almost translate it. My mother conceived me. Uh, that from the point of conception, I had the nature to sin. That's what that means. Uh, and so we don't know who it is. We know who? His great grandmother. It was Ruth who gave birth to Obed. Who gave birth to Jesse, and, uh, father of Jesse. And then Jesse fathered David. But it doesn't say anything in Scripture about a Philistine, illegitimate or illegitimate child. And so just remember, when you watch that TV show, if you do, that's that's all made up.
S7: So thank you for that great explanation, Michael. Yeah. We also have John Illinois listening through WMI. Since we are not to look to the stars for our future or for life in general, I'm curious as to why God used a star to lead the Magi to the Messiah.
S1: I think we're not supposed to use to to use astrology, but they weren't using astrology. They were astronomers, these wise men in the East. And God put something very unusual and led them, although it wasn't really a star, looked like a star, but it wasn't really a star because stars don't move, you know, they they're in the sky. They don't move. And yet this star moved. I think this star was much more better understood as the pillar of fire, the the glory of God, just like the the pillar of fire that led Israel through the wilderness at night. And the cloud that led them by day. But the pillar of fire, that's what it was. Obviously, this is talking about nighttime because you couldn't see it during the day. If it was, uh, if it was a star. And so, uh, it seems to me there are two different things. Astrology is negative and scripture, but this was a sign in the sky that God used to lead these, these astronomers, as they were looking up at the stars to lead them through the Shekinah glory of God.
S7: So thank you.
S8: Okay. Yeah.
S1: Well, thanks for bringing those questions into here. And thanks for sending them in by going to npr.org and clicking on Ask Michael a question that was to hear Haines, I'm Michael Zelnick. And remember, you can send your question in to us by going to the website. Ask Michael a question. And when you click on that, it gets put in the mailbag. I'll be right back with more of your calls in just a moment. Thanks for listening, and we'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. So glad to be with you this Saturday morning. Uh, have you ever wondered, uh, earlier, someone called and asked about their 103 year old Jewish friend. Did she need to know? Jesus? How do I talk with her? Well, a lot of people wonder because God gave a covenant to the Jewish people because he's faithful and loves the Jewish people, that perhaps Jewish people don't need to put their trust in Jesus. Do they still need to hear the good news? Well, Doctor Al Mohler's answer is yes. Absolutely yes. Chosen People Ministries is offering his book called To the Jew First in the 21st century. And Doctor Mohler, who's the president of Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville. He maintains that bringing the gospel to the Jewish people is the most evident sign of faithfulness that we can have to the truth of the gospel. For your free copy, go to Open Line radio.org. Scroll down and click on the link that says A Free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Uh, that they're the ones that will send you this book. If you click on that, fill out the form and then they'll send you a copy of To the Jew first in the 21st century. I want to let you know again that, uh, it's it's season when people are applying to colleges. Uh, the best foundation for life is to go to Moody Bible Institute. If you've got a young person in your life, if you're a young person yourself listening. But if you've got a young person, uh, a child, a grandchild, encourage them to check out moody.edu. I think that that's a crucial place to look. It's the best foundation for life. Uh, a lot of people do a lot of different things after they graduate from Moody. Uh, but getting that biblical, theological, practical ministry foundation will guide you all through life. So if you have a child or a grandchild, let them look at Moody, Dot Edu. And then also want to mention that I'll be teaching on a cruise, uh, this coming December in the in the Caribbean, a Bible conference on a boat, so to speak. And if you are interested in going on a tall ship and enjoying, uh, worship and scripture twice a day, uh, that would be a great experience. Just go to Openline radio.org and click on my personal web page. It's there at the bottom. You can click on that, and when you go there you'll learn all about that. We're going to go right back to the phones right now to talk to Doug in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, listening on Rmbb. Welcome to Open Line. Doug, how can I help you?
S9: I have a question about versions of the Bible. Um, I try to read the Bible, but I get kind of confused by by reading the King James. And I was wondering if, like the contemporary English version or the modern English version are actually, like bad or anything that I should be concerned with because I know the The Message Bible is a paraphrase, and that's not really the best version. So I want to know if some of the other versions are adequate for me to learn, because.
S1: Yeah.
S9: I have a hard time with the like I said, with the King James.
S1: Yeah. Uh, first of all, I don't I don't think there's anything wrong with the King James. Uh, a lot of people find it helpful. It's been God's word in people's hands in the English language for 500 years. Uh, I think that that's pretty cool. However, I do think that we know a lot more about biblical texts. Since that day, and I strongly recommend people to read a more modern version, not just the new King James, which is a good translation, but because of the textual basis to read a modern version, there's a whole spectrum of translation from, uh, word for word to thought, for thought, to somewhere in the middle. I happen to like, and I think the easiest one to understand is the Holman CSB. But the ESV is good, the NLT is good, the NIV is good. They all have different aspects to it. But I think that the Holman CSB is is quite good. I would encourage you to read one of those. Not a paraphrase, but a translation. I think that would be good. Uh, my wife loves the New American standard. I find it a little bumpy, but it's the most literal. Uh, the ESV is a little bit smoother. Uh, the HSB is right in the middle. And then, uh, what you've got is the New Living Translation. I think that's good too, but the best translation is the one that you'll read. So pick that one, Doug, and go for it.
S9: Okay. What I was looking for.
S1: Great.
S9: Okay. The Holman CSB.
S1: CSB as in boy.
S9: Okay.
S1: Yeah. Yeah. Okay.
S9: Great.
S1: Yeah. Thank you so much. Appreciate it. Uh, we're going to talk to Marisol in Richland, Michigan, listening on Wndb. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you today?
S10: Hi. Hi there. How are you? Hi. Long time listeners since 2011.
S11: Thank you.
S10: So my question is, I know that you were on Chris Avery. I think I'm pronouncing it correctly a couple of weeks ago. Yes. And one of you said, why about the 1000 rain? Um, my question is, what is the lifespan of the people that are going to be living through that period of time. I know that there's going to be marriage and children born, but what is the lifespan? Does the Bible talk about that? Are people going to live to 100 200? Like what is the lifespan?
S1: Here's what the Bible says. I don't know the I can't give you a specific answer, but this is what the Bible says in Isaiah 6520. It says, during that day, uh, a nursing infant will no longer live only a few days, you know, which very often babies would die in the ancient world, they still do, but not as commonly. Or an old man not live out his days. Indeed, the youth will die at 100 years. The word youth there is like a teenager, so the comparable to a young lad that's 100 years old. And it says the one who misses 100 years will be considered cursed. So if a person doesn't live to 100 at least. That's like you've died young. So.
S11: Okay.
S1: Uh, the ages I think, will be much older in in the messianic kingdom.
S10: In the in those times.
S11: Yep. Okay. Okay. So Isaiah six.
S1: Isaiah 6520 is the verse okay.
S10: 6520. Perfect. Thank you so much.
S11: Okay.
S1: Thanks for calling. Uh, we're going to talk with Catherine right now. Uh, listening in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, on the Moody Radio app. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you today?
S12: Oh. Good morning. Thank you for taking my call, doctor Delich. I appreciate you so much. I listen to you, and I enjoy getting all this knowledge and just loving Jesus more. Thank you. I am a volunteer prayer minister. You know, I just am not a minister. I'm a prayer ministry. And like like the other person said, I started this late in life. I was in my 70s. Now I'm going to be 80. Um, yeah. And, you know, I just love it so much to be praying with other people. The problem is, is that I feel very, um, responsible for what I say and how I pray. And so I pray for this this one woman the other day, she has two prodigals, and I prayed with her and we were speaking, and I said, you know her. She is they do have a history with the Lord. They she did train up a child in the way he should go. And when they are old they will not depart from it. I plan on that, that scripture, but also I'm thinking about that. His word never comes back void. So we're saying that they are saved, but we don't know that they're saved. I don't want to hurt anybody with anything that I say. How do I speak to somebody with love to to bring these children back to the kingdom?
S11: Well.
S1: First of all, I would try and bring them some comfort. You know, God gave a perfect environment and was a perfect father. And yet Adam and Eve rebelled. Right. So no matter what you do, it's possible for your children to rebel against what they've been taught. And it doesn't make us any. It doesn't make them guilty for what their children are doing. The second thing is, sometimes people want to write off their kids when they do this. I think it's so imperative that we maintain a good relationship. I'd encourage them to to keep loving, keep in touch. Don't allow this to become a blockage or a barrier with their children, and to keep praying for their kids every day, but not to be overbearing and beat them over the head with the gospel all the time, but just maintain it. And then when the time is right, those kids will come to them and want to know about how to make their way back, or God will use a friend someone else in their life to bring them back.
S11: Yes.
S1: The main thing is to keep those lines of communication wide open with those kids and pray for.
S11: Them.
S1: Okay?
S13: Hi. Thank you so very much.
S1: Yeah, thanks for that call. I can't believe it. The fastest two hours of the week. That's all for today. Uh, we'll be back next week with more of your questions right here on Open Line. Thanks to Hira Haynes, Omar Mendoza, Lisa, all of you who made this program possible. Thanks for calling everyone. You really made this program possible. Keep in touch with us by going to our website, Open Line radio.org. It's got all the links you're looking for. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Radonich is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next week.