S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Tam Ali, good morning to you. This is Carl and crew. A quick Carl update. He texted us early this morning and said he was going to be out of a connection area. So we were not going to get to hear from him today. He's traveling in Burundi for a ministry trip. He's going to be doing a pastor's conference there. Uh, did he share anything else in that text? Just that he was going to be out of the area? Yeah.
S3: Pretty much. Yeah, but he hopes to join us tomorrow.
S2: Hopes to join us tomorrow with a pastor from that area in Burundi. So this is a great opportunity for him to minister. It's part of his mission. His mission. I'm trying to remember. He quotes it often to inspire a spiritual revolution within the church that reaches the world.
S3: Yep. You got it.
S2: That's his personal mission statement.
S4: You know, you spend a lot of time with someone when you can quote verbatim their spiritual mission statement.
S2: That is wild.
S4: It is wild.
S2: Seven and a half years as co-host of the show will do that. That is his personal mission and he lives it out and this is part of it. So ministering in East Africa, in Burundi, we got to hear from him yesterday. He sounded awesome. Hopefully to hear from him again tomorrow on Freedom Friday. Uh, did you have a childhood hero growing up? Curious? Anyone that you looked up to wanted to be just like a lot of times it's in the superhero category, at least for.
S3: Wonder Woman was great. Lynda Carter, she was the original, I think.
S4: I think Batman, for me was a big one.
S2: Okay.
S4: Why?
S2: Why Batman? I feel like he I don't know, I feel like of the superheroes.
S4: Yeah. I actually liked him a lot because. Because he didn't have any superpowers. Oh, he didn't have any superpowers, but he often won whatever he was doing because he didn't just rely on being able to fly or or get shot. Not, you know, not get hurt. He he had to also outsmart people for when he wasn't strong enough to beat them.
S2: Well, that goes deep.
S3: And so cool toys.
S4: And he has cool gadgets.
S3: Exactly. Yeah.
S2: Okay. So he didn't have super powers. I mean, he could fly, right?
S4: No. Uh, he can glide. He had a suit with a cape that helped him glide, but he couldn't fly. He had zero superpowers. He was just a normal person who had a lot of money. Uh, but. But he learned how to fight, and and for the people, he wasn't strong enough to beat. He had to be smarter than. Wow. And I, I really liked that.
S3: Since.
S2: I'm learning new stuff.
S3: Every day.
S4: And a cool car.
S3: Cool.
S2: Well, that's right, I remember the Batmobile.
S4: Batmobile.
S3: Yeah.
S4: Yeah.
S2: I'm trying to think. What. Okay, so Spider-Man has the little web thing that shoots out of his hands.
S3: He was bit by a spider, which.
S4: And he could climb walls and.
S3: Got into his bloodstream.
S2: What about, um, Superman could fly.
S4: Superman can fly. He can shoot lasers. He's stronger.
S2: Got it. See through wall. Have we covered the main ones?
S4: Spider-Man.
S2: Superman? Batman.
S4: Your biggest ones?
S2: Yeah, you could tell. I do not follow this stuff. I can see my. You know, my son. He's 12 now. He wasn't really into superheroes as much as he was into sports figures.
S4: I feel like usually it's not not every scenario, because now I like superheroes and I like sports, but I feel like it's.
S2: Kind of one or the other.
S4: You usually kind of go one or the other. If you like sports, you're not usually big into superheroes and vice versa.
S2: Yeah. I mean, he had like a he liked Black Panther for a little while, but I think it was just because he thought the, the, the suit was kind of cool. I don't even think he knew anything. Yeah, but he was definitely into the sports, the sports heroes. Like, I want to be like for for a season of his life. It was just like Russell Westbrook, who played for the Oklahoma City Thunder. And so every, every day for like six months, he would only wear, uh, Oklahoma City Thunder jersey. I think it was number zero. And then we got him the shorts to match. And then we had to have multiple jerseys and multiple shorts because who can do laundry every single day so that you can repeat this outfit. So then he just had it in rotation. Then he started collecting the little NBA men. They made these stuffed dolls that were about half the size of a teddy bear that looked kind of like the NBA players. Emphasis on the kinda.
S4: Can only do so much when you're trying to make a real person stuffed.
S2: Stuffed animal like that. I don't know. The cool thing was we actually got to go to an Oklahoma City Thunder game, and he got to meet Russell Westbrook for like two seconds.
S4: Right right.
S2: Right. But he was only three. And so I'm like who gets to meet their childhood hero at three. But then they don't remember it.
S4: That's the.
S2: Worst.
S4: He's got a picture though.
S2: Remember this picture when you got to meet him? You got too shy to say anything, and now he doesn't remember that it ever happened. But it's cool when you have those childhood heroes that you look up to and you say, I want to be just like this person. Sometimes, though, you do the opposite and say, you know what? I know that I don't want to be like that. I'll explain. Coming up.
S1: She was trying to earn her way to God, but God showed her she didn't have to. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: I want to talk today a little bit about the most wicked king in Israel's history. I have a reason for doing this, but you got to bear with me for the the hard stuff before we get to the to the the to the good stuff. Okay. It's it's important though. I don't know how much you've heard about King Manasseh. Did you study him here at Moody Bible Institute? Do you ever remember studying about King Manasseh?
S4: I don't ever remember studying specifically about him, though.
S2: Well, King Manasseh was 12 years old. 12. Same age as my son is currently, which is it's that that alone is going. It's hard to imagine a 12 year old reigning, but that was not, you know, crazy outside the norm at the time, but 12 years old when he began, begins to reign. He reigns for 55 years in Jerusalem. He did what was evil in the sight of the Lord. That's the sum of his life. And that is putting it mildly. Let me tell you a little bit about some of the things that King Manasseh did in Judah. He not only adopted the wicked practices of the nations that the Lord had driven out for Israel, he actually did even more evil than those evil nations. So he took their practices, their idolatry, and he took it up a notch.
S4: Made it worse.
S2: Made it worse. He rebuilt high places. He built wicked altars. He worshipped, worshiped the hosts of the heavens. He burned his own son as an offering. He used fortune telling and omens and mediums and necromancers. This is really, really dark stuff.
S4: Yeah.
S2: He shed much innocent blood. This is all described in in Second Kings chapter 21. And the thing that made this all maybe even worse is because he was the king. Not only did he practice all of these things, he led the people into sin. You know, leaders are held to a higher standard, right? Yes, they are held accountable for it because people tend to follow their leader. Right. So his establishment of all of these wicked practices led Judah into sin. Pretty dark period of time. I set this up because I want you to think about this statement, and I'm going to say it two different ways. I want to see if you can catch the difference. You know, if there's a little kid running around or maybe a teenager and someone looks at them with a smile and says, ah, you're just like your dad. Let me change the voice a little bit. Think about that same teenager. Someone looks at them with maybe a slightly different intonation in their voice, slightly different expression, and says, you're just like your dad. Catch the difference?
S4: Oh, yeah.
S2: Oh, totally.
S4: It's quite a difference.
S2: Coming up. Let's talk about it.
S1: He was running from God, but God's love brought him home. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: I just described A really dark period in Israel's history. King Manasseh was the most wicked kings. His deeds were so horrific. So. Flew in the face of everything that God had instructed them to do. He did the opposite and then some. He adopted the practices of the wicked nations that the Lord had driven out for Israel. And then he took it up a notch. So then he has a son, Amon, who becomes king. Amon became king, started his reign at age 22. And I want to read to you what was said about him in second Kings 21, verse 21. He walked in all the way in which his father walked and served the idols that his father served and worshiped them. In other words, he was just like his dad.
S4: Yeah.
S2: Just like his dad. The reign of those two kings combined resulted in ultimately in Israel being taken into captivity in Babylon. Then Ammon has a son named Josiah. And Josiah has a decision to make. Will Josiah be just like his dad? And just like his grandfather, Josiah decides to go a different way. He was eight years old when he begins to reign. He reigns for 31 years in Jerusalem. And Josiah did what was right in the eyes of the Lord. That's what said of him in 22 verse two. And it's interesting how the the life of these kings is usually summed up in, in, in one sentence, even if other detail is given about them. Usually it's either that they did what was evil in the sight of the Lord. They did what was right, and for Josiah he decided not to be like his dad and his dad's dad, and he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord. He walked in all the ways of David, his father. He did not turn aside to the right or to the left. During Josiah's reign, the book of the law is discovered. It had been either concealed or hidden during Manasseh's reign. So once it's discovered and is read in Josiah's hearing, he is horrified. He tears his clothes. He weeps. He's repentant. He realizes all the ways that the nation has gone astray. Yeah. How far they are from what God has called them to do. And so he gathers the elders of Judah and Jerusalem, and they make a covenant before the Lord to keep the testimonies and the statutes of God with all of his heart and his soul. Then he immediately sets out to root out and remove all of the wicked practices of his father and his grandfather, and to re-establish proper worship in Israel. Ultimately, Israel was still taken into captivity in Babylon. Uh, Josiah didn't live to see those years. He was in God's mercy. He was spared because he was repentant. But when you think about your family of origin. You usually have to go one of two ways. Every single person. We talked a lot about this last week. Being raised in a Christian family does not make you a Christian. So every single person has to decide for themselves. Every single person will stand before God for themselves. But it is true that a lot of times you have to look at your family. Sometimes it's your dad specifically, sometimes it's just your family in general and say, I'm going to go the way of my family and sometimes that means continuing on with generations of dysfunction, with cycles of sin that have perpetuated from grandfather to father and on down. You know, I remember my husband had a friend back in his basketball playing days, and this friend was, you know, he was a he was a nice guy, you know, he was generous. He was, you know, like, had a great personality. But he really, really struggled to be faithful. He had affairs at least one, but likely many more. I loved his wife. She was a friend. He was not a good husband. He just wasn't. He was a nice guy. I think he was even a decent dad. But he was a pretty bad husband. He couldn't be faithful. And I remember him saying like, this is what I know how to do. Like, this is what my dad did. Like, wow.
S4: Yeah.
S2: He just kind of knew to go.
S5: And it's painful on so many levels.
S2: Yeah. Go out and and just get women to just kind of keep it real. Yeah. That's the cycle that had been perpetuated in his family. And he just kind of continued down that path. And so I'm curious this morning what that looks like in your own life. Did you decide to go the way of your family, or did you have to make a break where you said, like Josiah, no more? The my family's history cycles of sin and dysfunction? As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. I think I'm going to open the phone lines on this one. If you have a story that you want to share? Obviously not asking you to give details or to dishonor your family in any way, but if part of your journey of walking with the Lord meant that you had to in a certain way, like Josiah, decide that you were going to go a different path than your family. Give us a call 805 55 7898 805 55, 7898. This is a tough one because I know sometimes those family relationships can be complicated, but ultimately what our family does or not, we're called to serve the Lord.
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire and everything is Greek to her. Super dei is in the crew. It's Karl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Sometimes walking with Jesus requires you to break family cycles of sin and dysfunction. It requires you to go a different way than your family has gone. What does that look like for you? 805 55 7898. Let's go to JP calling in this morning from Ohio. Tell us you had to break some family cycles to walk with the Lord. Go ahead.
S6: Yeah. Um, I, uh, in my family, um, growing up, um, generational curse, uh, reigned in the in the form of adultery in my family, um, as far back as my great grandfather and all these stories we were told to me, you know, as I got older, but, um, and it it really found itself to be true in myself because, I mean, I became promiscuous very young age. Um, having women in your life or, you know, conquering, I guess. What is the word that was used back in that day? Um, really held or held on to held. Had a grip on me, um, to the point where, um, in my marriage, I had committed adultery early on, um, in the midst of being saved, um, a couple years into it. Um, I confess that sin to my wife and God redeemed it. Um, and literally, you know, I've been married now at the end of this month for 21 years. And so it's it's something that if we don't deal with as, as men and break those curses in our family, it's something that can that can reign on us for our whole lives.
S2: J.P. from Ohio, thank you so much for your call this morning. Uh, what about you? What does this look like in your own life? You, Josiah, had to put aside the practices of his dad and his grandpa. They they were wicked, wicked kings. They did what was evil in the sight of the Lord. Josiah went a different way. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord. Did you have to do that? To do what was right in the eyes of the Lord? You had to break the cycle of sin and dysfunction that perpetuated in your family. You had to go a different way than your family had gone. 800 555 7898 (800) 555-7898. And a quick, quick sub point. Just because our previous caller mentioned this, I don't want to get into this at length. I don't feel personally at the moment studied up or qualified to go into this at length, but I did want to make a comment about generational curses. Um, you know, a lot of times there's a there's definitely a passage of Scripture that's often referred to. But I want to be clear on, on one thing, that we should not view generational curses as something that's irreversible, that because that this has been a pattern in my family, um, it's irreversible. And I will I will follow the same path because it's what's been set out for me and I have no choice in it. Um, and so I just want to I just want to be clear on that, that every individual is responsible for their own choices 100%. What we absolutely often see in families is that there are generational cycles, to be sure, that there are patterns that are established, that are set out for generations. The previous caller mentioned adultery. There had been a pattern of that over a long period of time. And and so just like anything else, when that's what you see, that's what's modeled, that's what's presented, that's what's normal. Does it become much more likely that are you much more predisposed to falling into that yourself? Absolutely. But generational curses should not be viewed as something that are irreversible. Just wanted to throw that in. Definitely something we can wait a little bit more deeper into at another time, but threw that in as a setting yesterday. I'll say it again today. A green stamp bonus didn't cost you a thing. Had a pastor who used to say that every time he threw in anything that was off topic from his sermon. I love it. Say that was a green stamp bonus. Didn't cost you a thing. Take a couple more of your calls here. To follow God wholeheartedly meant you had to go a different way than your family had gone. It could be your father or your direct line, but could have just been in general. Your family all decided to go here and boy, you had to break break ties there and go a different direction. 805 55 7898 805 55 7898.
S1: He was sharing the gospel on the radio and then he got saved. Young thunders in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: You're listening to Carl and crew here on Moody Radio. I'm Ali taking your calls this morning on this topic. For you. Following Jesus meant you had to go a different way than the rest of your family. 800 555 7898 we'll take more of your calls. 805, 55, 78, 98. Coming up, I want to take you back a couple years. I went to a family funeral and someone got up and shared something that almost took my breath away. We were celebrating the life of my first cousin. I was not expecting this person to say this. I'll share it with you. Coming up.
S1: It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: You know, we see in the life of King Josiah, his life was could be summed up in one verse that he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord. And the reason why that was so significant was because to do right in the eyes of the Lord meant he was going to have to put aside the wicked ways of his father, Ammon and his grandfather Manasseh. Manasseh was the most wicked king, and he did the unthinkable, the unspeakable in a lot of ways. And then his son Ammon followed right in dad's footsteps. But Josiah followed God. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord. And I started thinking about what this looks like. And I'm not saying that your family is is is the most wicked like King Manasseh, but there's certainly a principle in play here that sometimes following God requires you to to put aside cycles of sin and dysfunction from your family of origin. And this is, you know, I went to a funeral a couple years ago for one of my cousins who had passed away, and he was, you know, he was probably in his maybe late 40s, early 50s when he passed. And he had had such a difficult life, really, from his earliest days. He had had so much hardship. And one of the people who got up and spoke, um, at the funeral was a it was kind of a who had he had been sort of a father figure to my cousin. I didn't know him. I kind of saw him for the first time when he got up and he spoke, but what he said really surprised me is, you know, I knew my cousin had struggled with some addiction issues and some just some life stuff. And he got up this, this man, and he shared with great remorse. And he actually quoted a scripture. He quoted Proverbs 22 six which says, train up a child in the way he should go when he is old. He will not depart from it. And he shared that verse and he said, you know what? This young man, I won't say his name. He goes, he was he was trained up to do what I did. And he shared with great remorse how, you know, the, the addiction issues, the things that were kind of modeled in front of him or kind of the ways that he was trained up in. And so this man shared with great remorse, kind of the responsibility. He felt that my cousin had gone that same path and, you know, it was it was a really it was a poignant moment because he the great thing is that my cousin in the in his later years, he came to know the Lord. That's awesome. And you know, I remember I got to see him probably within a couple months before he passed. And he was he was had so much joy, and it was so encouraging to see that he was doing so well. Yes, yes. Um, so his life ended way too short, but it ended well. He was he finished strong in the Lord, despite how things had started and how things had gone for much of his life. You know, I think about that sometimes how he went the way of what he had saw, what he had seen. So much of that shaped the life that he ended up living. But God but God intervened. God was merciful. Has that been your story that you had to break ties with the ways of your family? Maybe in a way that feels extreme and significant, and there actually had to be a physical break in the relationship, maybe in subtle ways where you realize that I just I can't follow that because following God requires me to do something different. 800 555 7898 let's go to John calling in this morning from Indiana. What did you have to do? Following God required you to to to break tradition, break sin cycles. Dysfunction. What did that look like?
S7: Um, well, my family definitely didn't follow Jesus at all. Um, my father was a drunk, and I one day hit my knees and asked Jesus what I was doing or what I needed to do. Told me to find a church home. I did that, and now I'm in a worship team that travels, bringing Jesus's word to everybody. My granddaughter's following me. She gets up and sings with me. And I couldn't be happier that I found Jesus.
S2: Oh, John. Awesome. Thank you so much for your call from Indiana this morning. Let's get another one in. David from Michigan. David. Tell me your story.
S8: In the early 90s, I was dropped off at the mental hospital. And that began a lifelong process of, um, diagnosis and, uh, labels and government assistance. And as I grew older, um, about 13 years ago, God had called me out of that lifestyle. As a young adult, it's not easy to get in conversations with senior citizens around getting, uh, you know, Social Security and disability benefits. But God had called me to something greater, you know, and I found inspiration in that story of the man that Jesus met in the caves who there was legion in him. But he was also crying out as a man saying, I want to be healed. So I stepped into that. That new season God had for me. And it was really hard because, you know, once I was off the medications, the assistance was addicting. And that was the pattern prevalent in my family and generations before me and with with the assistance comes in in activity. And you don't understand what your dreams are. And so I've stepped out of that. And, you know, the church helped ministries around me, helped, and I've been healed in the name of Jesus. And God gave me a faith bigger than I thought I could ever have. And so I just pray for my family that they would also step out into that faith that God has.
S2: David, thank you so much for your call this morning from Michigan. Uh. Powerful stuff. What about you? Have you experienced this? Where walking with the Lord meant that you had to go a different way than your family? 805, 55 7898 855 578 98.
S1: A basketball mom who's mastered the dad joke. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: We are messengers. God be the glory. You know, God in his mercy allows us to see the truth. We can only love him because he first loved us. So when we share these stories, you know, it's each person it's been with great humility that God has allowed them to see where, despite what they were raised in, despite maybe what they saw, the Lord allowed them to see the truth and to break the cycles maybe that they saw growing up. Let's go to Bethany. First time caller from Michigan. Um. To follow Jesus. What did you have to break free from? That was in your family?
S9: Yeah. So at first, it was breaking free from the religion that I was born into. Um, but then after that, it was a pattern of depression and suicide and pills and, um, the ways of the world. And after my dad took his life, the Lord showed me that I have two fathers and one is an earthly father who failed me and or failed me, and that I that suicide could have given me my identity. And it definitely brought shame and stigma. But instead, the Lord showed me that before that he also willingly hung to his death. And so for two fathers to willingly, willingly hang to their death. But the first one brought freedom and forgiveness for what was to come. And so to choose the freedom and the forgiveness and to choose Jesus is something that I, I could not turn from, and I never will, because he is perfect and will never leave me or forsake me.
S2: Bethany, thank you so much. First time caller, uh, from Michigan. You know, when we think about the cross of Jesus Christ and the victory that we have over death itself, over sin, over any sort of generational pattern because of Jesus Christ as Bethany just captured so well. We can walk in freedom because of our Heavenly Father. We can live free today, says Katie Nicole.
S1: You can take him out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of him. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, if you can think back to when you first started working and you got that first paycheck.
S4: Oh, so good.
S2: Part of you felt like, wow. Freedom. Yes. But then you start really studying it. And you notice for the first time, you know where I'm going with this? Yes. I thought they told me I was making 875 an hour. Yeah. Why? Like my son last month. Wait. All of a sudden you realize that? Quite a bit is taken from you before it ever hits your account.
S4: Yeah.
S2: And you don't realize that?
S4: No. No one really tells you.
S2: One really tells you that what you're making isn't really what you're making. Correct. Because there's this little thing that's called taxes.
S4: Paying your debt to society.
S2: Come on. They tell you, but then.
S5: When you look at it like, oh, okay.
S4: It's like your HOA fee for living in America.
S2: And it's such a funny thing because every parent will look at their child when they do that, or their young adult and kind of chuckle like, yep, welcome to adulthood.
S4: Oh, it's the worst.
S2: There's this expression that's out there. It's been out there for a while, but adulting, which I think is kind of kind of a funny use of the word.
S4: Absolutely.
S2: I don't I don't remember it being a thing when I was a kid, but I definitely hear many more people talk about adulting.
S4: Absolutely.
S2: Like, um, you know, and it's sometimes used as, like a hashtag or kind of a, like a funny exclamation point on things like, uh, had to pay for a broken dishwasher today. Hashtag adulting.
S5: Yeah. Car repairs, hashtag adulting.
S4: Can I tell you a story?
S2: Uh, always.
S4: This is where adulting got me a little bit, so I. I moved into an apartment that was going to be mine. And my wife's just, like, a week or two before we got married. So I went in there, and I lived there by myself, and I'm living there. Everything's great. And this we got married at the end of December, and then we went on a honeymoon kind of right there into the beginning of January. If you don't know, checks are due at the first of each month typically. Typically I thought, well, I'm I'm going on my honeymoon, so I'll just pay it when I get back. And I got back like on the 7th of January, I think. And and I, we get home, we're chilling. I pull up my laptop and I'm looking. I have an email from the the renters company and they're like, ah, you need to you need to pay. Because I hadn't paid them anything yet. This would be my first my first check of rent. And they're not getting it from me. And now I'm a week behind and I'm like, oh, I'm so sorry.
S2: But I was on my.
S4: I was on my honeymoon. I figured I'd just pay it when I got back. That you can't do that when it's due. It's due. And I don't know why I didn't think of that.
S2: Oh, that's so funny. No, because you think. Well, of course I'm on my honeymoon. I'm sure everybody will understand.
S4: Yes. I can't, I can't pay it on the first. I'm not here on the first.
S2: I can't I can't do this right.
S5: Yay!
S2: Coming up, if you are the parent of a young adult, you may have noticed. Man, there seems like they're having a tough time easing into this whole adulting thing. Thing. Some of the things that I feel like I was doing at their age, they don't seem to be getting there quite as quickly. Yeah, that's a thing. You're not alone. It's not a bad thing, though. Coming up, we've got a special guest who's going to talk about how to help young adults live fruitfully, insanely fruitful. Part of the title of a book he has out. It's going to be advice for the young adult, but also the advice if you are the parent kind of sitting on your hands a little bit going, how do I help here? I don't want to say too much, but it seems like they're stuck a little bit.
S1: Romans eight brought her to Jesus while broadcasting traffic overnight. Super di is in the crew. It's curling crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, there used to be a pretty expected, predictable path that was followed. You went to high school and then maybe did a trade school, maybe some college and then early 20s. You got married, maybe started a family. and that was just kind of what people did. Well, this generation of young adults is taking longer to meet some of those markers, reach financial independence, live on their own, get married, start a family. And that can cause some tension, both for the parents of young adults, but also for the young adult themselves who feel unprepared, who feel stuck, who feel like they're not making the kind of progress they were hoping they'd make. We've got a special guest joining us right now who's got a keen interest in this topic, David Stevens. He's a pastor, speaker, a coach with nearly 20 years of experience leading and discipling young adults. What have you noticed with these young adults that maybe differs from previous generations?
S10: You know, I've noticed that the young adults today, from my experience working with them, are dealing with a lot of insecurity and a lot of comparison. You know, with social media, there's so many different people that they can look online and have this expectation that their life is supposed to look like something, that they don't know how to get there. You know, it's supposed to look like something different than what it is. So I think that that plays into how this generation is looking at things differently. There's a lot more for sure, but that's a huge one.
S2: And, you know, it's tempting for parents, for other adults to look at things like social media and say, well, this these young people are they're more distracted. They're not focused. They can't seem to get it together. And you actually wrote a book called Getting It Together That insecurity. Speak a little bit more to that. So many adults, young adults feel like they aren't really prepared to kind of make the transition to adulting.
S10: I think that a lot of young adults are finding themselves in a really complicated world, and they're looking for, you know, some things that are like, man, how do I know that I'm on the right track? I think as I talk to young adults, there's a real fear, a fear that they're going to be alone, a fear that they're going to miss out on maybe what God has called them to. Uh, a fear that they're going to miss their purpose in life. And so they they're wanting what what do I do? How do I how do I make this work? How do I take the things that are the basics and implement them? And so, you know, that's why I wrote this. I tried to provide a framework. I tried to provide a foundation platform of really practical, hands on things where these young adults can can learn some of the key lessons in life that are going to make them feel confident to do what God has called them to do.
S2: So let's talk specifically about relationships, because that's one of the key things that you tackle. What is today's young adult need to know to live fruitfully in terms of their relationships.
S10: When it comes to relationships? First of all, it's kind of the the foundation of of our life. Um, your relationship with your with your parents, your relationship with your friends. and everybody has a deep longing for that. And so I think that when it comes to living a fruitful life, if your relationships are off kilter, if they are not what God has ordained, meaning, if you're not living according to the biblical principles that God has set out, your life is going to be empty. It's going to be filled with frustration and brokenness. And so I think that, you know, having healthy relationships is really a core piece of living a life of joy and fulfillment.
S2: Now, many, many young adults struggle to connect with God. I mean, some of it is the distraction of social media. I mean, there's never been more tools available in terms of podcasts and blogs and devotionals. Um, but how do you coach the young adults that you work with who are feel stuck in their relationship with God?
S10: I think that there's so much insecurity when it comes to approaching your relationship with God. For young adults, they're feeling like they're doing it wrong. But what I try to encourage them to do is, you know, just keep showing up. One of the things that that we oftentimes think is, well, I'm not doing it right. Or, you know, when I came to read my Bible, I got so distracted, I ended up being on my phone. You know, maybe I was there for 20 minutes and 15 of those minutes. I was thinking about the conversation I had yesterday or, you know, the what I got to do at work. And so what I encourage people to do is I say, hey, you know, spending time with God sometimes it's it's like a workout. You know, when I go to the gym, I know is I lift those weights, I'm not expecting to lift the amount of weight that I want to lift. Eventually. I know that I have to start at one place and work my way up. And I think that with your walk with God, if you just keep showing up, if you just keep believing that God is there, even if you don't feel like he's there, eventually you're going to start to walk into a new level of maturity. And every time that you show up, you win. And that's what I tell people. Just keep showing up, keep praying, keep reading your word. Keep doing the things that you know you're supposed to.
S2: Now, have you noticed any sort of difference here along the lines of gender? Uh, do young men seem to be struggling more than young women, or are you seeing it with both?
S10: It's with both. But if I had to say one or the other, I would say that young men are struggling more. And I think that that's because young men are pulled in so many different directions. And in a lot of ways, young men today are just being told that they're really messing everything up. Yeah. And so I think that our young men, they're also being told that they have to do things a certain way where that might not be their strength. And so, you know, they're feeling really beat up and really insecure. You know, I was talking to a young adult, he's like 18 years old. He said to me, he said, man, I just feel so behind.
S2: Oh, wow.
S10: And I said, how can an 18 year old feel so behind. But I think there's been so many messages given to young adults, especially young men, saying you're not doing it right and you should be farther along. And so all of these fears just are constantly plaguing young adults where they're feeling like I'm not doing things right. I'm missing out on what I should know. And they're feeling like everyone else is doing it right, because there's this fake image on social media that they're constantly being fed. So it really takes faith to say, you know what, I'm going to sow the seeds. Mall today so that I can reap the fruit tomorrow.
S2: How can the church help in this? I mean, I know a big part of your background is working in the church. You've been a pastor. You've worked in the young adult ministry. What is the church doing right, in terms of helping young adults? And where are maybe we are we missing it?
S10: I think where churches are really winning is when churches are teaching young adults the word when they're learning how to actually study their Bibles. I mean, you can't you can't go wrong with that. And that is the core of how to live a godly life. I think an area where the church could do better, at least in my experience, is the older training and discipling the younger.
S2: Yes.
S10: And and I think that what happens is the older people, they're afraid to do that. And maybe they feel like they're unequipped to do that. But what I found is that, you know what? The dinner table is a fantastic discipleship tool. You don't have to have a a Bible degree. You don't have to be a perfect dad or mom. You don't have to, you know, have it all together. You just have to be a step ahead and be able to love on the young adults in your life. And I think that you'd be surprised the kinds of questions that young adults are asking. It's things that you've experienced that, that you've often been through, and you're just going to give them what you know to be true and what the Bible says about it. And really, that's what they're looking for.
S2: David Stephens, our guest right now is pastor, speaker coach. He's author of a book called Getting It Together Ten Lessons to Help Young Adults Live an Insanely Fruitful Life. You know, many parents listening right now with young adult children, and they're toggling back between maybe a sense of frustration with their young adult child who's not quite where they thought they would be, or maybe even some shame or disappointment, but wanting to still love that child? Well. What advice would you give to the parent of a young adult child who's kind of stuck and struggling? What can they do to help?
S10: You know, the first thing that I would say to those parents is give yourself some grace. Nobody's a perfect parent and nobody does it. All right? I'm a parent. I've got five kids. My my kids are not young adults yet, but I just know I'm going to be running into this. And you're going to miss things. You're not going to do everything right, and you're going to continue to learn as you parent. And I think as you're going into this season where you've got a young adult maybe is struggling, maybe feels like they're not prepared for life, well, don't take that personally. And I also would say when you have a young adult, really, this is the season to release. I think that a lot of times parents actually, what oftentimes happen is they give way too much freedom to their kids when they're young. And then as they get older, they see the direction, and they don't like some of the directions that their kids go. And so they try to compensate and control as they get older. And so what often happens is we feel like, well, I, I didn't do what I was supposed to back here, so let me try to fix it as they're older. But but really, what you've got to do is you got to trust that God is their parent as well, and you have to be able to release young adults to make their own mistakes. Don't try to take all of the consequences of bad decisions away. Let them experience the consequences of bad decisions and release them to do what God has called them to do. It might not look exactly what you thought it would, and that's okay. You've got to let them now live the life that they're called to live.
S2: Great encouragement for parents, especially coming up on Father's Day this weekend. Guest. David Stevens. He's got a book getting It Together ten Lessons to Help Young Adults Live an Insanely Fruitful Life. If you want more, just text fruitful to 855 five 7898. Fruitful to 855 five 7898.
S1: He's a sports fanatic with a stat for anything you can think of. Young Thunder is in the groove. It's curl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Has your little girl started talking. Any any discernible words yet?
S4: Yeah, a little bit. Uh. She does. Mama and dada. Oh, she.
S2: With purpose?
S4: Yeah. With purpose. Okay. Uh. She does. Uh. Oh.
S5: Yeah. Well, that's the best one. With purpose.
S4: With purpose? Sometimes. The first time I caught it on camera, she was sitting in her high chair, and she was hanging her milk bottle over the side and was looking at me and going, uh oh. And I said, you can't say you haven't dropped it yet. And then she dropped it and went, uh oh. And, uh.
S5: Told.
S2: Me to drop.
S5: It.
S4: And now just recently she got bubble. She got. So when she wants us to blow bubbles outside or inside, she'll she'll say, bubble, bubble, bubble, bubble.
S5: Oh.
S2: I'm I, I look forward for you to the day when you and your daughter.
S5: Yeah.
S2: Have, like, real conversations.
S5: Oh, I know. Yeah.
S2: And she starts asking you questions about life.
S4: It's going to be so much fun.
S5: Why? Why? She starts Asking you with y y.
S2: You know, I'm I'm a little bit ahead of you. My daughter is almost 16, and I hear the conversations that she has with her dad lately involve usually the purchase of clothing from Hollister or Lululemon.
S5: Yeah.
S2: Dad, can I have money?
S5: And dad's going y.
S4: I can't wait for that.
S5: So now dad's become fewer words. Can we.
S2: Go to Back to.
S5: Bubble? Yeah. That's awesome.
S2: There's something special about that dad daughter relationship. Coming up, we've got a special guest who's got some coaching dad's struggles. Sometimes with the conversation. Yeah, it gets complicated. And your daughter has questions and lots of words and stories. And you want to connect with her whether she's 8 or 18. Our special guest is going to help you with that.
S1: You're listening to Curl and Crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, we've got Father's Day coming up. Quick reminder Father's Day on Sunday. You know when you when you picture a dad, sometimes you picture a dad out throwing a ball, playing basketball or playing catch. Sometimes, though, it can be more of a struggle for a dad to connect with his daughter. Want to introduce you to Doctor Michelle Watson Canfield, our guest this morning. You have devoted much of your ministry to helping dads and daughters connect, which is a very a very unique and specific kind of niche that you've come upon. How did it get started? Why did this become something that you were so interested in helping dads and daughters?
S11: I am the oldest of four daughters, so that's the first layer. And then secondly, I have been mentoring, I would say teenagers and 20 something since I was 19 and I'm now 63. So do the math. A long time that I would say really having a finger on the pulse of things that daughters are saying and needing. And then I have been a licensed clinical professional counselor since, oh my goodness, the 90s. So I've been doing that almost three decades. And so what I would say is being in the trenches with women, with girls that so often are saying, I want more from my dad. And I find that dads sometimes say, well, I don't even know what you need. Tell me. And daughters are like, I don't know how to tell you. And then I just am all about helping equip dads to dial into their daughters hearts.
S2: Is it too much of a generalization to say that dads maybe struggle more to connect with their daughters than they do to their sons? Is that too, too broad brush, or is that what you've seen to be true?
S11: Oh, I've definitely seen that to be true. Especially as daughters are growing older and become two things become more emotional and more verbal. And oftentimes that's where dads will step back. They'll think that it's wisdom to say, here, mom, you go in, you're a girl. You understand girls. But I'm telling you, dads, your daughters need you even more during those phases of their development because their identity is being shaped as they hear from you and look at you for feedback. Telling them that they're beautiful, just the way they look, that they're made in the image of God, and he has a purpose and a design for them, even if they're getting other messages outside your home.
S2: What are the real benefits for a young woman from having that strong relationship with her dad?
S12: Well, the.
S11: Overarching answer is every area of your daughter's life. Dad will be better if she feels connected to you. And we look at Scripture where God says in Malachi four six again in Luke 117 that that going back to this idea of a heart turning, God says, if the hearts of fathers don't turn, he doesn't say, the head's right. He says, the hearts. If the hearts of fathers don't turn to their children and children to their fathers, I'll come and strike the land with a curse. And I don't think we have to look very far, do we, to see the effects of the curse. So back to this idea of what benefits are there to a daughter when her father's heart is turned toward her and she feels connected? She'll get better grades in school. She's more likely to finish high school and attend college. She'll have less body dissatisfaction and healthier weight. She'll have greater self-esteem. Dads love this one. She'll delay her sexual debut. And on and on it goes. But your daughter will be healthier and stronger and more confident when she feels connected to you as her dad.
S2: What are the most common mistakes that you see dads make? Because I know that there are lots of Christian fathers listening and they have the really great intentions. It's not that they don't want to connect with their daughter. Where's the biggest area where dads tend to miss the boat on it?
S12: I would say probably.
S11: The first thing is, is they run out of energy to keep listening.
S2: Until she's.
S11: Done.
S2: You know, I have to laugh because I have a daughter. And one thing that my husband will. He will often say that sometimes it gets challenging for him to continue to listen, and he he does start to wear out a little bit. So I have to laugh because I didn't realize that that was a thing.
S12: Yes, it's a thing. Which is funny.
S11: Because my my second book called You know, Let's Talk Conversation Starters for Dads and Daughters. And my husband said, I really could have called it let's Talk and Listen, because it's so hard for dads to keep listening because they're like, get to the point already. Like, this.
S12: Is.
S11: And I'm saying, dad, just know that we as women figure things out by talking. We don't often know what we want to say until we say it. And so by you giving your daughter the gift of your attention, leaning in, putting down the remote, turning your ringer off, putting your phone away and leaning in to listen, nodding your head. Active. Listening. Your daughter is internalizing a message that they have value, and your daughter will come to internalize that perspective, that she's worthy of your time, worthy of your attention, worthy of being listened to because her voice matters, and you want her voice out in the world to have impact. And it can start with you, dad.
S2: Doctor Michelle Watson Canfield, our guest, licensed professional counselor, national speaker, and author. Coming up, let's get some practical help for dads. And maybe we'll throw grandpa's in there as well. You want to connect with your daughter? What are some practical tools that you can use today to get the conversation going or restart it if maybe it's gone quiet? More coming up.
S1: Your shot of hope to help you through the day. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: We are headed towards Father's Day and we've got some help for dads who want to make a deeper, more profound impact in connection with their daughters. Our guest, Doctor Michelle Watson Canfield, a licensed professional counselor national speaker, author of Let's Talk Conversation Starters for Dads and Daughters. Let's get practical. What's something that a dad? One thing that a dad listening or even a grandpa listening today can do to connect with their daughter or their granddaughter?
S11: You are a woman after my own heart, Allie. Because you and I are like, we. We don't just want talk. We want action. Right? And so we're we're like, dad, don't just tell me you love me. Show me you love me. And so, dad, I have so many practical action steps up my sleeve. That's what I talk about on the Dad Whisperer podcast is dads are like, here's an action step. So, dad, go out today. Either open your drawer or go to the store and buy a dry erase marker and a package of sticky notes. And what I want you to commit to is by the end of today, I want you to write a message, a loving message and affirming message. A validating message on your daughter's mirror of her bedroom or her bathroom. Her car mirror. And if you don't live somewhere where your daughter's at, you can do it on your mirror. Take a picture and send it to her or put it on sticky notes. You can just say, I love you. I'm praying for you. I'm so glad to be your dad. You are one of a kind. You're beautiful to me. Put that on notes on your daughter's mirror. Because when we look in the mirror as women, we see every flaw. And you don't. So imagine the power of your message, your voice, your truth, countering what she hears in her head as she looks in her mirror. What do you think? Ali? Do you think that would make a difference?
S2: I think that would absolutely make a difference. Now, obviously the best time to start with this is when you're when your girls are really young. And so for the dad of a, you know, of a toddler who gets to go into it armed with this kind of information. But what about the dad whose kids are much older, and maybe there's a teen daughter, even an adult daughter, and they're going, I wish I would have heard this earlier. Is it too late?
S11: No, it's never too late, dad. Never too late. And again, having been in really, I would say sacred space with women for over four decades, I've never one time had any teenager or young woman or older woman say it was too late. Dad, if you come with humility and say, I'm so sorry I haven't been the dad that you've needed me to be to you, you can ask her three questions. One. On a scale of 0 to 10, how close do you feel we are? How connected? Number two, what could I do to be a better dad to you? Like, what do you need from me? You're not telling her to change. You're saying, what do you need from me? And then, number three, you take action. Let's set a time today, just you and me, to go out. And that's why in in my book, let's talk. I have 60 conversation starters so that dads don't ever have to worry that they don't know what to say or ask to draw her out. And so it's lead her to laugh. Lead her to love. Lead her to look. Lament. Getting into harder conversations in the last section lead her to listen. Dad, you can hand your daughter the book so she can ask you questions about your life. And so it's all about bonding, connecting, and talking so that you, with older daughters especially, can build and strengthen the bond between you.
S2: Doctor Michelle Watson Canfield, our guest this morning. How can moms use this book, whether they're single moms? Or maybe they just want to enhance their own relationship with their daughter alongside dad?
S11: You know, the book, even though it's written for dads and daughters, it's also for moms and sons, moms and daughters, dads and sons. Because many of the questions are really they're not gender specific. And so if you're asking your daughter questions about depression or anxiety or cyberbullying or same sex attraction, some of those harder right, harder topics to delve into. Dad, the more you can ask questions and and help your daughter or your son and mom again to your kids, this is about interpersonal conversations and strengthening the bond as we talk and open up and are vulnerable. And so absolutely, moms, you can use this book to to strengthen your relationship with your daughter or your son.
S2: Now, obviously as parents, mother and father, we want to ultimately point our kids to the Lord. How important is it as we are fostering these relationships and particularly for dads, how much of this relates to the relationship that your daughter will ultimately have with the Lord?
S11: That's a power packed question, isn't it? Because we all know that God Himself is called father. And I think most dads I've talked to say, why is he? Why is he looking to me as a human, to represent him as a father like that? And dads, I agree. What a responsibility and what a weight because you can't do it on your own, right? John 15 apart from God, you can do nothing anyway. Yes, but in Luke 1520 right there in the middle of the Prodigal Son chapter. Dad, go back and read that chapter because there's there's it's all red letter where Jesus is saying, here's what my dad is like. And if you're a dad that says, I don't know how to represent God as a father to my daughter, there's five things that father does. It's all in one verse, verse 20. He's filled with compassion as he sees his child, runs toward his child, embraces and then kisses. Those are five action steps, dad, that you can rely on being solid action steps because Jesus himself said, this is how my dad approaches his kids and that's how you can approach yours.
S2: Doctor Michelle Watson Canfield You can find more Doctor Michelle Watson Doctor just abbreviated doctor Doctor Michelle Watson. The book is called Let's Talk Conversation Starters for Dads and Daughters. Michelle, thanks for being with us today. This is good stuff for dads who want to connect with their girls.