S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Riedel. It's Moody Radio's Bible study Across America. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. My name is Michael Ray Zelnick. I'm professor of Jewish studies and Bible, as well as academic dean here at Moody Bible Institute. And I'm so glad that we're live today. Sitting around the radio kitchen table with our coffee and our Bible, we're ready to study the scriptures together. If you have a question, give me a call. The phone number is (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. If you can't call, just go to our website openline radio.org and click on the Ask Michael a question button. And you'll fill out the form and your question will be put in the mailbag, and Tricia will ask it. Sooner or later we'll get to it, I promise. Uh, hope you have your Bibles open and you have a second cup of coffee, because we're going to talk about the scriptures right now with Chuck in Cleveland, Ohio, listening on Whkf. Hey, Chuck, welcome to Open Line. How can I help you today?
S2: Yes. Thank you. Michael. Um, I have a question. Okay. This has come up lately. Uh, it's I have three different views about salvation, um, that I'm hearing from my pastor, from a friend of mine who's a messianic Orthodox Jewish friend and a ministry I know of. And my pastor's belief is faith plus nothing. Faith in Jesus plus nothing equals salvation. The Messianic Orthodox Jew, he believes that faith plus Torah equals salvation. And the ministry that I know of, they believe that faith plus repentance equals salvation. I think the repentance is, um, something like maybe besetting sin or something like that. You know, it's, uh, I would think that the Messianic Jew that would, uh, well, you know what?
S1: Here's the thing. The, uh, let me just jump in and I'll tell you, the Bible teaches we are saved by grace. That means God's undeserved kindness. We don't deserve it. He shows us kindness. We're saved by grace. No works, uh, lest a person should boast. But it's. We're saved by grace through faith, not of works, lest any person should boast. Well, where does repentance? Let's go to the second thing. Some people say faith plus repentance. And you know you've got to repent. You got to repent. I don't believe in easy believism, but faith and repentance are two sides of the same coin. Which is why in acts two or acts three, Peter doesn't call on people to believe. He calls upon them to repent. And what that means is to change your mind. In first Thessalonians one it talks about how they turned, which uses another Greek word, but they turn from idols to serve the living and true God. Now why do I bring that up? Because that's really what repentance is. And in acts three, he's basically saying to the crowd, change your mind about Jesus used to reject him, now believe in him. Uh, in first Thessalonians one, what Paul is saying is, uh, turn from what you used to trust, which was idols, and now you have turned to the Lord Jesus in whom you trust now. Uh, so it's really the act of faith is stopping. We stop trusting what we used to trust, and we start trusting what God has done for us through the Lord Jesus, that he died for us and rose again. So really, repentance isn't sitting in the front row on the sinner's bench and thinking about all the bad things we've ever done and crying about it and doing all that. What it is, is turning from what we used to trust and turning to the one we do trust. That's what it's about. So it's faith. No works. Uh, and then the the outcome is that we stop trusting and we start trusting. We stop trusting idols. Whatever it is, good works, whatever it is we used to trust. And instead, now we're trusting in Jesus that he died for us and rose again. So faith and repentance, two sides of the same coin. Does that make sense so far?
S2: Um, yes. It sounds like you believe what my pastor believes. Faith.
S1: Well, no no no no no no no. I believe what the Bible teaches. I want to be really clear. I want to be really clear. The Bible teaches faith and repentance are two sides of the same coin, is what I'm trying to say. I'm not trying to take sides with your pastor or I'm just trying to. This is what the Bible teaches. Okay? Okay, okay.
S2: One other thing is repentance is is, uh, the meaning of repentance is metanoia, which means a change of mind. But a lot of pastors use that word as meaning turning from your sin.
S1: Well, that's what I was just saying. It means.
S2: What? What you said. What you said is changing your mind towards Jesus and His salvation. Not necessarily, you know, eradicating all your sins in your life.
S1: No. I don't think we can eradicate all our sins in our life. Uh, only he can. Uh, the reason I say what I'm what I just said was, if you read in the book of acts. Okay, it talks about in acts 317. This is in Peter's sermon at Solomon's Colonnade, where they healed the lame man, and he's talking to the crowd about their rejection of Jesus. And they're probably there were people there who were part of the crowd that said, crucify him. And he says, brothers, I know you did this in ignorance, just as your leaders also did. They didn't realize who they were rejecting. Had they known, they wouldn't have done it. But what God predicted through the mouth of all the prophets that his Messiah would would suffer, he has fulfilled in this way. And then he says, so what he's talking about is their rejection of Jesus. And he says in verse 19, therefore repent and turn. Okay. What's he saying? Change your mind about Jesus and turn to him. That's what he's saying. And so, uh, I'm just the context tells me he's not saying go sit at the sinners bench and cry over your sins. He's saying, change your mind about Jesus. Uh, turn you. You rejected him. Now trust in him. That's that's what he's saying. So. And the same thing happens in acts two with the crowds there. Peter tells them to repent. Uh, in acts 238. So, so often we take repentance to mean, uh, change your behavior. When the Bible teaches it's change your mind about Jesus. That's what I'm trying to say now about your friend who says that faith is keeping the Torah. Uh, it just basically, I think what? Your friend may be mistaken because he understands the Torah. For followers of Yeshua of Jesus to mean keep kosher, keep Sabbath. Uh, the truth of it is the Torah or God's instruction. Uh, today is the is the Torah, the law of Messiah, the what the New Testament calls the law of Christ, the New Covenant. And if we will trust in Jesus, put our trust in the Lord Jesus. What will happen is we will express that faith by keeping that Messianic Torah, the law of Christ, or being obedient to him. If you love me, you'll keep my commandments. The Lord Jesus said, so, uh, there. He may be a little confused about what the Torah is, that we will. And the thing is, it doesn't. Faith is not equal to keeping those commandments. Faith is expressed if we really love Jesus by keeping his commandments. That's what it's about. So anyway, uh, hope that helps, Chuck. Uh, I'm not sure that you felt it did, but I'll do my best with it. Okay. Uh, Wilburn in Ohio, listening on Wqrf. Welcome to Open Line. How did I get your name right, Wilburn?
S3: Yes, you did, sir.
S1: That's an unusual name. I've never met anyone named Wilburn before.
S3: Yes, sir. I shall only show a little from my good Jewish buddy here in Akron.
S1: Okay.
S3: Sir. Alright. Mine is from first Corinthians chapter three, verse 21, and it states, therefore, let no man glory in men, for all things are yours. Do yours. Is that God's point to God or to us?
S1: Let's see. It says, the Lord knows that the reasonings of the wise are meaningless. So no one should boast in human leaders, for everything is yours. Uh huh. I think it's talking about people.
S3: Okay, okay.
S1: Yeah, okay.
S3: That's what I was sure you know, above all things get understanding. So I got it now. Okay? Okay. Thank you so much. Shalom. They better leave Israel alone. They better leave him alone. Shalom, Shalom. God bless you, sir.
S1: Bye bye. Uh. Let's see, Uh, I'm trying to see what time here. Uh, okay. We're in the window, so. Okay, we're going to we're going to take a break here. And when we come back, we're going to talk to Marilyn. So. Marilyn, don't hang up, okay? Uh, we're going to you're listening to Open Line. My name is Michael Ray Melnick, and we're taking your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. Marilyn's got a question about the Trinity, so I wanted to make sure I had enough time to answer it. When we come back, we'll talk to Marilyn, and so stay with us. Welcome back to Open Line. You know the last caller or next to. Yeah, I think it was next to last caller. I talked about the book of acts and the issues of what does the book of acts teach about repentance. And one of the things that I found really helpful was talking about that subject with a professor I had in seminary, and his name was Doctor Charles Ryrie. I had him for a course called The Doctrine of Salvation, and we talked about the book of acts. And he really knew the book of Acts because he wrote the moody, every day Bible commentary on acts. And that's our current resource. And he was very, very helpful in explaining those issues in that course. And it's one of the reasons why I love this book and why we're offering it as our resource resource this time this month. Because, uh, for a gift of any size, I'd like to send you a copy by. Just say thank you. Here's Doctor Ryrie's book on the book of acts. It's very helpful. Uh, it's a good resource. Easy to read, easy to understand. No one made the Bible or theology simpler to understand than Doctor Ryrie. Uh, that's what I loved about his classes. And it's what I love about this book. If you'd like to receive a copy of, uh, Doctor Rory's book, best thing to do is just head over to Openline radio. Org or you can call by going to (888) 644-7122. And with your gift of any size, just make sure you ask for Doctor Rory's book on the every day Bible commentary on Acts. Uh, we're going to talk to Marilyn right now. Uh, listening in Florida on Wmhb. Welcome to Open Line. Marilyn. How can I help you?
S4: Oh, good morning. I'm happy to be on with you. Um, I'm had been talking to a lady that was a Jehovah Witness, and she said the Trinity is not in the scriptures. Well, I ran across Second Corinthians 1311 and 14 that talks about the father, the son, and the Holy Spirit.
S1: What verse? What? Wait wait wait what verse?
S4: I'm going to fast. Second Corinthians 1311 and 14. Okay. And also Matthew 316 through 17. But I was wondering if there were any other scriptures that had the three parts of the Trinity in them.
S1: Well, uh, I think one of my favorite verses is the great Commission verse in Matthew 28, uh, where, uh, it says, uh, baptizing them in the name of the father, son and Holy Spirit. Matthew 28 uh, 16 through 18 that that I think I got those verses right. Uh, and, uh, what I like about Matthew 28, I'm turning over there right now. Uh, is here's the thing that that strikes me as amazing that most many people miss, uh, is it it's verse 18. Uh, and verse 19 go therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them. Notice good grammar would say in the names of the father, son, and Holy Spirit. However, in this verse it says, in the name of the father and the son, and the Holy Spirit. So it uses a singular noun name to describe the three persons of the Triune God. Uh, which would be sort of a hint at the triune nature of God that he is not three gods, but God is 1 in 3 persons. Does that. Uh, that's a good verse. Very good. Yeah. Matthew 2819. Uh, you know, uh, here's what I'd like you to do. I'd like you to hang on. Marilyn. Uh, there is a book. It's not on the Trinity, but it's. It's a book I wrote called 50 Most Important Bible Questions. And it has, uh, a good one of the questions, I don't remember which number is about the. I remember the question was, can you give a simple explanation of the Trinity? And I said, no, no one can. But what I do is I lay out the biblical evidence and deal with some of these verses, like Matthew 2819 and the ones that you mentioned, as well as some other verses that you might find really helpful. So if you stick on the phone. Uh, Marilyn, we'll send you a copy of 50 Most Important Bible Questions. Okay.
S4: Oh, fantastic. Thank you so very much. Yes.
S1: Thank you. And by the way, if you're listening, you think the busing. Oh, sure. Uh, if you're listening, you think I'd like to get a copy of that book? I can't send everyone one. Marilyn's special. That's why she gets one. But, uh, you might want to go to your favorite online bookseller or your local Christian bookstore and make sure to get a copy of 50 Most Important Bible Questions. But you got to keep promising, even if you get it, to listen to the program. Because there are other questions. You know, sometimes you think, well, I've got the 50 questions. What do I need to listen to Open Line for? No, no, no, keep listening. But I think you'll find that book helpful. We're going to talk to Stephen in Ohio, listening on Wqrf. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you? Stephen.
S3: Hey, doctor Riddell. Nick, can you hear me? Okay.
S1: Yeah.
S3: Okay.
S2: Um, so I recently.
S3: Because I got an audible account and I spent a lot of time in the car and doing projects around the house. I listened to the Great Courses series by a professor, Robert D Miller, who unfortunately passed away in 2023, but he, uh, gave all these lectures. It was like probably about ten hours. And he was a professor at the Catholic University of America, uh, an archaeologist.
S1: What? It's just go ahead with his with your question. I don't need to know who he is. Okay. Okay. Okay. Well.
S3: The reason I bring that up is because as I was listening to it, I myself am a lawyer. I only bring that up because I like to look at the evidence and find out people's credentials. I also believe he was a person, uh, a believer. So that's important to me because I don't want to be misguided by someone. Um, and I found some of his stuff to be pretty compelling. And overall, his interpretation of Genesis is is my question. He didn't interpret it literally like a literal, literal six days creation a people lived to be 900 years old. Uh, he was able, I think, to say you could have evolution and genesis because the literary genre of Genesis is an ancient creation myth, not meaning myth as it's untrue, but it's explaining spiritual things in a way that would have been understanded by the people who received it 2000 plus years ago. And I was wondering if you think that type of understanding of Genesis could be correct doctrinally, or if you just find that to be an incorrect way to interpret Genesis as a whole.
S1: Well, first of all, I think that, uh, and I don't know Robert Miller, but if you say you think he's a genuine follower of Jesus, uh, his, uh, salvation is not based on his view of creation, but his view of Jesus. And so, uh, I know that C.S. Lewis took a mythic view of creation, but he knew the Lord. Uh, because what the key to salvation is trusting Jesus, that he died for us and rose again, not an accurate understanding of what the Bible says in Genesis one and two. So, uh, let's be clear about that. And there could be a lot of believers that we learn a lot from, but in many areas that we wouldn't necessarily agree with their view of creation. Uh, there were many ancient myths about creation. I don't think it's fair to relegate the Hebrew Scriptures to that kind of mythic approach, although it does explain where creation comes from. But it's true myth in the sense This way, if you just take myth to mean an explanation, I think it's crucial that we recognize that Hebrew narrative. Hebrew narrative is always meant to be taken as fact, not as some sort of story. Uh, even you mentioned the age of people, you know, in the primeval period, they were living all that length of time. And then in Genesis six, it's not like the the author doesn't recognize that something unusual is going on. Genesis six, God says, I'm not going to strive with people because they're evil. Uh, so much. And then he says, uh, in verse three, uh, my spirit will not strive with mankind forever because they are corrupt. Their days will be 120 years. So he kind of limits the maximum number of years to 120. It doesn't do it instantaneously when you get to the end. Now remember, Genesis is just the volume one of a five book, uh, series. It's one book with five volumes, uh, that's called the Torah, or some people call it the Five Books of Moses, but it's like the Lord of the rings, you know, there's three novels, but it's really one story. The same thing with the the Pentateuch. It's one book, the book of the law, and it's got five volumes. And if you look at the end Deuteronomy 34, how old is Moses when he dies at the very end? 120 years old. So it shows that God was going to reduce the number of years. And the reason I point this out is that, you know, people say, oh, look how long they didn't know any better. No, they knew better. When Moses wrote this, he knew exactly what was going on, that people were going less and less and less years, so that by the end of his life, it was 120 years, just as God had maxed it out at, uh, and, uh, the days of creation, where the people take them, some people take them as eras, you know, ages. I don't, I think evening, morning, 24 hours. That's what I think it is. Uh, it's six days of creation. Makes perfect sense to me. You've got Genesis one one and two where God creates everything. That's summary. And then more specifically, the six days of creation and the rest of one 3 to 2 four. And then what you have in two five to the end of that chapter is the sixth day of creation. So it goes from very broad to narrower to very narrow. Uh, and I think that's what we're talking about. People say, well, how can it be six days of creation? The world is so old. You know, you take this early earth with six days of creation. I believe God created the world with apparent age. It was just like when Adam was created. When he was 20 minutes old. He didn't look like a 20 minute old infant. He looked like a man. He was created with apparent age. I think God created everything with age to make it look like even the light years of the stars shining. He created that, you know? So it came down. He created everything with age. And then, uh, the other thing is many things that we see as look very old are the result of catastrophe. Uh, a catastrophe can explain a lot of these things. Uh, for example, when Mount Saint Helens had its top blown off, right. Uh, all the trees on top landed down in Spirit Lake. This is in 1980. And the the weight of the the water went into the right, into the roots and made those trees go down into the bottom of the lake with the roots at the bottom. And they settled there, and it looks like a forest under there. They were covered in lava when they did this. Now there's a fossil, uh, forest at the bottom of Spirit Lake. And what's amazing about that is people would say if they looked at that, they'd say billions of years ago there was a forest here. But now through evolution. No, we know it's it's it's 60 years old. And what it is is a result of catastrophe. Well, there was a huge worldwide catastrophe where the foundations of the deep open, there were earthquakes. There was, uh, volcanoes erupting. It just exploded all over the earth. And a lot of the things that we see as being ancient fossils are probably the just, just the result of that catastrophe. So to me, uh, taking the, the Hebrew Bible at face value makes the most sense. Uh, that's how I read it. If I have to defend it, I would use two aspects. Uh, in terms of science, uh, in terms of the age of the Earth and all those things. One apparent age and two, uh, catastrophism. And so, you know, I'm not trying to judge Doctor Miller, you know, God bless him, he's with the Lord. Now, that's fine, but I wouldn't agree with his approach to Genesis. Does that help, Stephen?
S3: And by the.
S1: Way, if you agree with him, that's fine with me too. I'm not, you know I'm not. Well, my.
S3: Thing is, uh, it was very helpful. It's given me a lot to think about. Um, and I appreciate that. And I think what you said about going back to Jesus, uh, that gives me, uh, confidence. Because I know a lot of people have Genesis as a stumbling block that I talk to, but.
S1: Yeah, focus on Jesus. He's the key. He's the creator. However he did, it is fine with me. So anyway, thanks for your call. We're going to come back with the mailbag in just a bit, so don't go away. This is open line with Michael Zelnick. We'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. My name is Michael Riedel, and I'm so grateful for everyone that partners with this program by listening. That's just the first way. I'm so grateful. There are so many people that tell me they listen every week, and if they can't get the program on time, they go on, they get the podcast, or they go on the Moody Radio app and they listen that way. And I'm I'm just amazed and grateful for that. And as well, I'm grateful, uh, that some are, uh, partners in even a more special sense and that that they in that they become kitchen table partners. They don't just listen. What they do is they actively support this program by giving monthly so we can be on the air weekly. And we're so grateful for that as well. And I, I just am amazed that people care about us that much. This, this program and, and the teaching of the word to people that they will help out that way. And I appreciate them. And one of the things I do to show my appreciation is every other week we send out a Bible study moment. If a person becomes a kitchen table partner, they get an email, click on it, listen to a Bible study. We're doing a series on the covenants over the summer, and that's been very fun for me. So if you're interested in becoming a kitchen table partner, we sure would appreciate it if you've given monthly some given occasionally, but we'd like to turn that into a monthly, uh, gift. Boy, that's really appreciated. Uh, however it is, we're we're just grateful for your listening. But if you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, all you have to do is call (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line Radio. Org. Now it's time for the Febc mailbag. Grateful to Febc for partnering with our program to bring you Openline and Febc. Org or Far Eastern Broadcasting Company. There's a lot there. Go to their website. You can check it out and see all about how they are bringing the gospel around the world through media and personal follow up. Uh, check out their website because it's got a link to their podcast called Until All Have Heard. I think you'll really enjoy that. And joining me right now for the Febc mailbag is Tricia McMillan, our producer, and we've had two producers today. I didn't mention her at the outset of the program to Tiara Haynes, to Kyra Haynes. Haines. Hi. Michael is here. I told her, it's not fair. We've got tiara answering the phones and to hear her helping out. I'm just too confusing. But I'm really grateful you're here to hear her.
S5: Thank you for having me.
S1: Yeah. And. And Tricia. Now, who's asking the questions?
S6: Uh, I think I'll ask the first one. Okay, but there we go. But I'm not going anywhere but to. Here is learning all of the programs, and she has been a valuable resource to us for over for like a year and a half now. And she's learning all the programs so that when one of us is out, she can step in and do all of them. Well that's great.
S1: Yeah, yeah, well, she did that a few weeks ago. That's great.
S5: Yeah I did, yeah.
S6: Okay. Our first question is from Linda in Indiana. Listens to Wnwr in acts 815 to 17. The Samaritans had accepted the Lord Jesus, but the Holy Spirit had not come on them yet. So it says, after they went down there, they prayed for them so the Samaritans might receive the Holy Spirit, for he capital H had not yet come down on any of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then Peter and John laid their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. So Linda wants to know, do we have the Holy Spirit when we accept the Lord Jesus, or does that come later?
S1: Well, first of all, the nature of the book of acts is it's a transitional book. It's going from sort of how the Holy Spirit worked in the Old Testament to how he's going to work in the church. Okay. It's it's it's different. Uh, and one of the things you'll find is if you see, every time that the Holy Spirit comes upon someone, it's inconsistent. Sometimes it's a moment of faith. Like, for example, Cornelius in Acts ten, and sometimes the apostles lay hands on someone and then they receive the Holy Spirit. It's because it's a transitional book. So what we should do is we should go to the epistles like Romans eight nine. If anyone doesn't have the Spirit of Christ, they don't belong to him. You know, every believer Romans eight nine has the Holy Spirit. Okay, okay. So how do I explain this in acts eight? It's fairly simple. What the issue was is Samaritans were a schismatic group. They said, oh, we're the true Jews. We have the true Torah. And they were very independent. You can read about that in John four. You know, the Samaritan woman.
S6: The woman at the. Well, yeah.
S1: She says, she says to the Lord Jesus, you say you should worship in Jerusalem, you Jews. But we Samaritans say right here on Mount Gerizim, who's got it right? And so there is this tension. And there was a concern, I believe, that when the Samaritans received the gospel, that they would try and be independent of the apostles in Jerusalem. And so Peter and John go lay hands on them, and the Holy Spirit comes upon them at that point, after they've already believed, so that it shows that they are under the authority of the apostles from Jerusalem. Okay. So that's that explains that transitional feature. But really, what where do we get our doctrine from? We get it from the the epistles.
S6: Okay. Now real quick. Yeah. For someone who doesn't know what an epistle is, if you're not getting this from the Gospels and we're not getting it from acts, is the epistles, everything else in the New Testament, the.
S1: Letters except for the Book of Revelation. So from Romans all the way to Jude, Jude. And then revelation is is its epistolary form, but not a full epistle. Okay.
S6: All right.
S1: Just like the letters, the letters of the apostles.
S6: Okay, okay. Fantastic.
S1: Someone once said that we should, uh, experience the apostles teaching, which is found in the letters, rather than teach the apostles experience, which is found in the book of acts. Yeah.
S6: Okay. All right. Thank you for that question, Linda.
S5: Thank you. Our next question is from Randall, Alabama. And he is he listens to us through Wmw. His question question is from Galatians chapter five, verses 19 to 21. And those verses deal with the works of the flesh. This question is, could you explain how people can inherit the kingdom of God when they still sometimes have wrath, and all the other works of the flesh?
S1: Yeah, well, you look at this and it's got all these different things impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, outbursts of anger, so forth. Wrath is what I think he's talking about there, I tell you. Uh, as I told you before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Here's what I would say. There's a parenthesis that has to be included in our minds when we read something like this. And this is it, that those who practice such things, not having trusted in Jesus, will not inherit the kingdom of God If someone trusts in Jesus, those things are forgiven. Uh, and now it may be that if a person is habitually, customarily, just flagrantly carrying out the deeds of the flesh, they may have said they've trusted in Jesus, but they may not have. I think that's why Paul says, examine yourself to see if you're in the faith. But basically none of us are perfect. Even Paul says, uh, in the book of Philippians chapter, I think three says, not that I have arrived, but I press on. So if the apostle Paul who said these things has not arrived yet, well, I certainly haven't arrived yet, and there are still fleshly things that will erupt in my life, even though I've been a believer now for 52 years. Uh, the only person I know that's not like that is Eva, you know? But that's that's not true. Even Eva occasionally will have something from the flesh, uh, pop out. Uh, Trisha? No. Never.
S6: No. Not never. Yeah.
S1: But but, you know, the point is, we're forgiven. So the idea is that those who practice such things, uh. who have not trusted in Jesus, won't inherit the kingdom. We're forgiven. Now, the question would be, are we practicing them to such an extent that we're demonstrating that we really haven't trusted in Jesus? That's the question. Uh, I think the key is not how much you do, but how much you've grown, how less. You know, I still may do things pretty often that are wrong, but I'm not doing it quite as much as I used to.
S5: So I'm so grateful that God continues to work with us, and we're all in that process of sanctification.
S1: Yeah, yeah. That's it. It just takes a while. And I think.
S6: Even this entire passage, if you go to Galatians 516 through 24, um, like that whole passage is talking about, don't be ruled by the flesh, be ruled by Jesus, follow him and live by the fruit of the spirit instead. Like that comes right after these verses that Randall's asking about. Yeah, that these are what we should be living by and practicing instead. So thank you for that answer and thanks for that question, Randall. With that, mark in Ohio, listens to Wkkf and wants to know, as a born again believer, do we need to ask for forgiveness for every sin we commit? Or are they already forgiven? Are we already forgiven for those sins? Yes.
S1: To both.
S6: Okay, explain.
S1: Here's here's what I think. It's really clear. Uh, when we've trusted in Jesus, all our sins are forgiven. Past, present, future. Right. There's there's no there's nothing that's not forgiven. Uh, that's what I call relational forgiveness. We trust in Jesus. We become children of the king. You know, we're we're his children forever. And we are forgiven. Past, present, future. Even if I can't remember a particular sin, I'm forgiven of it. However, as I walk with the Lord, uh, I walk in the light, the light of his word. Try to obey it. Uh, and we have fellowship together. And then if he brings to light in my life in an area of sin, a particular sin that I've committed, that's where first John one nine kicks in. If we confess or agree with God about that sin, that's what confess means to agree with him. Uh, if we agree with God that that was sin, then what we do is we agree with him, and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness. He is faithful and just to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. That's what I call fellowship forgiveness. Because we may be forgiven for all time, past, present, and future. But our sins that we commit after we come to know him, block our fellowship with him, and confession, uh, restores that fellowship so that we can speak openly and and come boldly and do all those things. And that also comes through the the death and resurrection of our Messiah. Okay.
S6: All right. So so that would be I know that, um, excuse me, in doing communion, some churches will have that time of confession to make sure before you do that communion that that has been dealt with, that would be the fellowship, forgiveness. Forgiveness.
S1: Yeah. Okay. So all right. And I think it's really crucial that every day whenever we talk to the Lord, we're always open. Lord, show me what it is that may be blocking my fellowship with.
S6: You, or even in that moment where you're like, oh, this isn't how I should be responding or reacting right.
S1: Now. Exactly.
S6: And you realize it. Do it right away.
S1: Exactly. Okay.
S6: Is there, like, a specific way we should?
S1: I think it's walking in the light. That's first John read first John one eight through ten. He says, we're all sinning. We walk in the light as he is in the light. We have fellowship with one another. We often think, that's you and me, Tricia. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Uh, it's no, it's fellowship with God. We have fellowship. God and me have fellowship as we walk in the light. And then, uh, blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us.
S6: From that sin. And and then that fellowship kind of restores that fellowship.
S1: The light shines on our life. And I go, oh, no, I see this. Yeah. And then I confess it, and he cleanses me and I keep on walking in the light. It's sort of a circular movement. Yeah, yeah. Okay.
S6: All right. Thank you.
S1: We're gonna we're going to break here. Tierra, thanks for joining us. Thank you.
S7: For having.
S5: Me.
S1: Yeah. It's always great to have you here. And you've been here a few weeks, and I really appreciate it. Uh, we're going to be right back with more of your questions in just a moment. You're listening to Open Line with Tricia McMillan to hear Haynes and Michael Zelnick. So don't go away. We'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm Michael Ray Zelnick. I'm so grateful to God that he is always faithful to Israel, faithful to his promises to his people. Uh, we're living in a time with a lot of tension, uh, and anti-Semitism, let's call it what it is hatred of the Jewish people. Uh, it's erupting on our campuses. It's erupting in our neighborhoods. It's. It's erupting all over the world. And as a result of that Moody Bible Institute, which has a firm conviction that God is faithful to his people and loves his people, and that we should, too. We are holding a summit. We're calling a summit opposing anti-Semitism on November 9th. Check it out. Uh, hope you'll consider coming to us on that day. There's all sorts of information. Just go to our website, openline radio org and click on the banner there about the summit on opposing anti-Semitism. And you'll get the information and join us right here at Torrey Gray Auditorium in Chicago on November 9th. Now, uh, that made me think of what made me think of that is also the fact that God has always been faithful. There's always been anti-Semitism. It's, uh, it's just a the oldest hatred and Chosen People ministries has their Messianic Jewish art calendar focusing on Jewish history and God's faithfulness. Despite the anti-Semitism, God is still faithful to his people, and this calendar has some wonderful pictures showing God's faithfulness to Israel throughout Jewish history. and it could be yours free. All you have to do is go to our website openline radio org. They're offering it to you. All you have to do is go to the link that says A Free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll get a copy of the Messianic Jewish Art calendar from Chosen People Ministries. Grateful that they partner with us and make this calendar available to our listeners again, go to openline radio org. Scroll down, click on the link that says a Free gift from Chosen People Ministries. And we're going to go to the phones right now to Julie in Nashville, Tennessee, listening on Wkhm. Welcome to Open Line. Julie. How can I help you?
S8: Hi there. It's so good to talk with you. I got to tell you, when I first started listening to you, I thought you were Doctor Dolnick. And your first name was Ray. Yeah, I.
S1: Know how it is. That's why I say just call me Michael. Well, you're from the South, Julie. You know Michael Ray Dolnick. That's it, that's it.
S8: Well, you do have a lot of names down here. Yeah. Um, Mike, I know you're short on time. My husband is is not saved. Um, and I heard a pastor, a well-known pastor, say that, um, the Gentiles who've heard the gospel and rejected it at the time of the rapture cannot be saved that the great delusion will be sent to them. Mhm. Um, is that true? Only the Jews can be saved after the rapture.
S1: It says in second Thessalonians 210 or. Yeah, 210. Uh, it says they perish because they did not accept the love of the truth in order to be saved. For this reason, God sends them a strong delusion so that they will believe what is false so that all will be condemned. Uh, some people want to say that because if they don't accept the love of the truth before the tribulation, then afterwards God will delude them during the tribulation. I don't think that that's what it's saying. I think it's stating a general principle that when people reject the gospel, there is, uh, they don't accept the love of the truth, and then they are continually being diluted, even in the tribulation. Uh, and so that's just a general rule, what breaks it. And this is true today and in the tribulation period, what breaks it is when God opens our eyes. God opens our hearts. God will do that. It says in acts 16 that Lydia of Lydia, that the Lord opened her heart to believe the things that or to receive or or think about the things that that Paul was saying. I think that's what he'll do for all people. There's going to be a great revival in the tribulation. 144,000 Jewish people are going to believe according to revelation seven. Then it talks about people from every tribe and tongue and nation knowing the Lord. And so I think they're going to be evangelists, and God will open hearts. God will break the delusion. For many it will be the greatest revival in history. It says the Lord in acts 1614 about Lydia. The Lord opened Lydia's heart to pay attention to what was spoken by Paul, and then she believed. Uh, and so it seems to me like.
S8: The door won't just close.
S1: Know God. God is always. God is longing for people to come to know him. He's going to open the floodgates during the tribulation. It will be the greatest revival in history. But listen, I think it would be better for your husband and anyone to, uh, to come to the Lord now, not wait. That's what I think. So, uh, you know, keep keep doing what you can to win him to the Lord now. Okay, Julie, don't wait for the trip. Absolutely. Okay.
S8: Absolutely, absolutely. Thank you so much. I appreciate.
S1: It. Sure. Thanks for your call. Let's see if I can do this question really fast. Hey, Deborah, go ahead with your question as fast as you can, okay?
S9: Okay. Ephesians 612. My core question is where where are these places? My version says we fight against, uh, this and the unseen world that in the dark world and evil spirits in heavenly places. Where's the unseen world?
S1: Okay, the unseen world is talking about the spirit world, and in particular, the evil spirit world. So we've heard of the dark web. There's the dark spirit world where demons are working. You can see that in in Daniel ten, when the angels from or the demons, the Prince of Persia, for example, from the heavenly places, is obstructing the angel to come from the Lord with the message to Daniel, that's where the heavenly places are. There's this great battle taking place and it delays him from coming the angel from God. And this is the unseen battle, the unseen world where there are evil spirits, the dark world trying to prevent God's work here in our world. That's what it's talking about. I can't believe that our program is done for the day. Thanks for listening everyone. And I want to say a special thank you to Tricia and to Chris, and to Yara and to Kyra and all those of you who.
S10: Helped.
S1: Uh, really do appreciate all that you did to make the program possible. But mostly thanks for listening and thanks also for participating in the program. Those of you who called or wrote in, uh, remember, keep in touch with us by checking out our web page, Open Line Radio org. It's got everything you're looking for. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Michael Zelnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next week.