S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. This is where we talk about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. My name is Michael Melnick, and this is my last week as academic dean and professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. On Tuesday, I'm going to become emeritus dean and Jewish studies professor. Uh, but I'll still be here. Those of you who heard about that change that's coming. People sent in all these notes saying, are you going to stay on open line? Of course I'm going to stay on open line. That's what I love to do. I love answering your questions. So I'm so grateful that Moody Radio is going to keep me on the air answering your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. In fact, I'd like to answer your questions today. So give me a call. The phone number here is (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. Great. Time to call at the beginning of the hour. If you can't call or you can't get through, just go to our website, open Line radio.org. Click on the Ask Michael a question button and you'll be able to post your question there. And Trish will put it in the mailbag. And we'll talk about it in upcoming weeks. I hope you have a second cup of coffee, and I hope you still have your Bible open, because we're going to talk about the scriptures in just a moment. Before we do, I do want to mention, uh, that this is our last broadcast at the end of June, which means that our fiscal year is over on Monday, and it would be just a great time for Moody Radio for you to give a gift of any size to help us financially at this time to to meet the budget, so to speak. And, uh, we'd really appreciate it. I appreciate all your generosity. All year long, all the time. Uh, you this listener, audience, this audience is more generous than I ever could have imagined. And I so appreciate it. And if you do give a gift of any size, we want to say thank you by sending you a copy of the Ultimate Bible Dictionary. It is like one of my favorite resources we've ever offered. Uh, it's just this little Bible dictionary, handheld size. You can open it. You see an event in the Bible as you're reading or a person, uh, or some, uh, holiday. And you think, I don't know what that is? You can look it up in the Ultimate Bible Dictionary. It's a great resource to have. Uh, and it's it's yours when you give a gift of any size. We just want to say thanks. If if you want to receive that, uh, this is the last weekend that that will be offered, uh, the phone number, if you'd like to give a gift and receive the ultimate Bible dictionary is (888) 644-7122. Uh, or you can go to open line radio.org. And I so appreciate being publishers for producing this little book. Uh, that's the same publishing house that produces the Bible translation that I use all the time, the Holman Christian Standard Bible. It is a terrific translation. And, uh, it's also this book, this ultimate Bible dictionary is a great tool, great help for you. As you study the Bible again, call (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org. And we really do appreciate your end of year gift, we're going to talk to, uh, Rob. I think I'm saying this right in Chicago listening on WNBA. Welcome to Open Line, Ricky. Am I saying your name right?
S2: Yes, you absolutely are. Thank you for taking my call.
S1: Sure. How can I help you?
S2: Oh, okay. So I have a friend who is not quite a believer, but is questioning about the 144,000, and I don't know, I'm an avid Bible reader, but I just don't know. I do understand it has something to do with the Great Tribulation and who will go to heaven. She thinks only 140,000 are going. Could you just sort of give me just a little something on that?
S3: Sure.
S1: I'll help you understand about the 144,000. Okay. Well, uh, that's the 144,000 are described in revelation seven. And when this takes place, when there will be these 144,000, it will be in a future time. In the Bible that's called the tribulation. It's also called the the time of Jacob's trouble.
S3: Okay.
S1: And it's going to be a time. It's also the 70th week of Daniel from Daniel chapter nine. It's a week of years, a seven year period. And during that seven year period, uh. Israel is facing a great deal of oppression. There will be a false false messiah, a political ruler. By that. We don't know his name, but the Bible calls him. The beast calls him the Antichrist. There's different names the the man of sin and Second Thessalonians chapter two. Uh, but there's all these different names for him. But that's who will be involved. And during that time it will be, you know, we often think of it as being the worst time on earth, but it will also be the time of greatest revival. And what it says in revelation seven is that God is going to seal or set apart servants. Uh, and they there will be 144,000 of them, all from the 12 tribes of Israel, 12,000 from each tribe. And that makes 144,000. And they are sealed or set apart, identified as belonging to the Lord. There are Jewish people who will come to know the Lord during the tribulation period, and then it's not really clear what they will do. It doesn't state it explicitly, but the very next paragraph talks about how that there's going to be multitudes from every nation, tribe and people and language who are going to be worshiping the king. So it appears that this 144,000 Jewish people, they're going to be like 144,000 Jewish. Billy Graham's proclaiming the gospel in that tribulation period. So that many, many people from every nation will come to know the Lord. That's who the 144,000 are.
S3: Oh. Thank you. Does that help?
S2: Yes, absolutely. It does not mean that only 144,000.
S1: Know, in fact, that it's it's the 144,000 that makes it possible that God's going to use to reach the nations with the good news of Jesus?
S2: Yes. Oh, thank you so much. I will, that helps me and I can hopefully help her. So thank.
S3: You. Great.
S1: Thank you. Rishi. I appreciate your call. Okay. You have a good day. Uh, we're going to talk to O'Farrill. Listening in Miami, Miami, Florida and W.r.m. Welcome to Open Line. O'Farrill. Is that your first name? O'Farrill.
S4: Yes. And I can tell you a quick story. I love Israel. Um, my name is Irish. I was in the Air Force and when I went to my room, they said, you're in the wrong room. And I said, no, they sent me here. So we're expecting some Irish guy named O'Farrell. So I'm African American, so the Lord purposely chose me because I just love people all over. But a long time. Um, my question is, I was I had some Jewish guys. I don't know if I'm. And they were doing some construction on my home, but they were astonished when they seen the menorah in my windowsill. And I said, um, I said, I've come to understand that we're saved by grace, but there's some things that we're required. Like we keep the commandments because Christ said, if you love me. And then I heard you say last week that we don't have to keep Sabbath. And yet when I had an encounter with a rabbi and when he introduced me to some things and he really opened up my eyes, he said, when you read the New Testament, it only speaks of the Sabbath. So where does it say that it's okay? Because my understanding through teaching is that it was the Roman government that changed the day and everything. So as I'm sharing with them, I'm like, wow, I'm trying to identify. But then I'm saying, do we have okay, so so it's about okay.
S1: Let me see if I can if I can help you. O'Farrell. Um, there's nothing wrong with keeping the Sabbath if that's what you want to do. However, there isn't, uh, an obligation to, uh, to keep the Sabbath in, uh, in Colossians. Chapter two, verse 16, it says, therefore, don't let anyone judge you in regard to food and drink or in the matter of a festival, or a new moon or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of what was to come. But the substance is the Messiah. So what Paul is telling the Colossians, who weren't Jewish, they were Gentile believers in Jesus that don't let anyone put pressure on you to keep the festivals or judge you if you don't keep the new moon or the Sabbath day, which are Jewish, uh, expressions of of faith. And and so that's what I was saying, but I, I want to say on the one hand, you don't have to keep Saturday Sabbath the way, for example, Judaism teaches it. However, I think there's a principle in the law of Moses that we need to have a day for rest, physical rest, and spiritual renovation. Spiritual renewal. We need we need that kind of day. Every one of us does. And in Romans 14, it says, one man honors one day above another. Another one views them all alike. Let each man be convinced in his own mind. And so it seems to me that the Bible is clear. You don't have to keep the Sabbath as traditionally kept in Judaism. On the other hand, you have to pick a day for spiritual rest, physical rest, and spiritual renewal. That's what, uh, establishing a Sabbath. That's the principle taught, uh, in Exodus 20 and Exodus uh, 31 about the Sabbath, that the principle is we need a day for rest and renewal. And I hope that helps. We're going to take a break here. And when we do, when we come back, we'll take more of your calls. Uh, you're listening to Open Line. And the great questions that our callers have about how to study the Bible, how to obey the Bible, how to live out the faith, uh, how to understand God. That's what we're talking about right here on Open Line. We'll be right back in just a moment, so stay with us. Welcome back to Open Line. So glad to be with you today. Uh, we're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. There's a couple of lines open now. You can call (877) 548-3675. We'll try and get to all your calls in just a moment. Uh, I do want to mention that I appreciate working with this team. It's, as I said, we're at the end of the fiscal year, and it gives me a great time. And our team has expanded a little bit. I've gotten to know to hear. I've gotten to know Lisa. I appreciate Omar becoming our engineer and doing such a great job with it. And, uh, also Tricia, who just always tells me what to do. Keeps me in line. Really appreciate her. What a great team and I so appreciate another part of the team. Or is everyone that listens to Open line and calls up and asks your questions? That's part of the program and and you're part of the team. And I especially appreciate the people who have become kitchen table partners, people who give monthly so that we can be on the air weekly, ministering and answering questions of people who really have great questions about the Bible. And so, uh, and someone Tricia actually just reminded me that if you become a kitchen table partner, we not only send you a digital Bible study, an audio Bible study in your email every other week, uh, Bible study moment. But besides that, you get a really cool mug. When you become a kitchen table partner, you get a copy of the Romans commentary from the Moody Bible Commentary. There's some great, uh, aspects, but mostly I appreciate not just that you get those things, but I appreciate your kindness to me by becoming a kitchen table partner. If you have been listening for a while and you thought, well, I've given an occasional gift, but I'd like to become a kitchen table partner. What you have to do is call (888) 644-7122. Or you can just go to open line radio.org and become a kitchen table partner right there. We're going to talk to Bonnie in South Carolina listening to WGBH. Welcome to Open Line, Bonnie. How can I help you?
S5: Thank you very much. I appreciate what you do. And I have a question. Um, as I'm reading, especially in the Psalms, such as Psalm 19 and 119, um, I come across the words testimony, statutes, precepts, law, judgments, commandments. And I'm wondering, are these, uh, words used inner? To to explain the same thing? Or do they have a different meaning?
S1: Well, there are synonyms that have different aspects to them, nuances to them, but they're basically synonyms. Uh, I believe I posted I have to I have to find it. Uh, I don't Trish may be able to find it. I went through the different words that are used that you're describing in Psalm 119, and I made a little, uh, sheet that we posted on Facebook a couple of years ago with the different nuances of all these words. I'll try and find those for you, Bonnie, and get those posted. Are you on Facebook?
S5: No, but I'll ask a friend to help me there.
S1: Well, well, you know what? I'll see. Maybe. It probably won't be this week. Maybe next. By next week, we'll be able to get those posted. Or in a couple days, we'll find that sheet. And, uh, you know what? Uh, Bonnie, if, uh, if you hang on, uh, I'll have Lisa pick up your your call and she'll get an email address where we can mail that to you.
S3: Okay.
S5: That would be fine. Thank you so much I appreciate that.
S3: Okay.
S1: Yeah, you hang on, though. Lisa's got to pick up your call or to hear her. Someone's going to talk with you in a minute. Okay. Thank you. Bonnie, appreciate your call. Uh, we're going to talk to Ron in Florida listening online. Welcome to Open Line. Ron. How can I help you?
S6: Hey, Michael. Uh, happy Saturday, and congratulations on your new status. It sounds like you're going into some kind of partial retirement or something, but, uh. That's great.
S3: Well, actually, I'm I'm.
S1: Retiring to only do about 2 or 3 full time jobs. Uh. Uh, but I'm actually kind of retiring from education is what it is from, uh, you know, the, the, the classroom and the and the, uh, although I just taught for a week at Dallas Theological Seminary, and I'm scheduled to teach there again, I'll still teach adjunct various places, but, uh, I'm going to retire officially from Moody Education. That's all. Wow. Uh, still radio, still speaking for Moody at conferences and, uh, still representing Moody as best I can. Uh, that's my alma mater. I love this school. I've taught at Moody. Now I'm in my almost completed 32 years, so. Wow. Yeah. It's, uh, Moody used to have a blue logo, and someone once said, when. When you cut me, I bleed moody blue. So. Yeah, that's that's really true of me.
S6: Well, that's a blast from the past. Anyway, let me get to my question. So in in the in Jesus's prayer in the garden before his crucifixion, before his arrest, he I mean, there's no indication that anyone was there. And there are other parts of the Bible I can't remember specifically now, but in my reading I've I've wondered this about several parts. So if no one was there, um, and I have no doubts that that, uh, that the, the words recorded really were said and everything. I'm just interested to know, how could they have been recorded, uh, word for word, if no one was actually there listening to them or witnessing what happened?
S1: First of all, I would caution you to thinking against thinking that we have a verbatim transcript of what was said. I don't think we do. Um, if I if, you know, you might have a conversation with someone and I say, hey, what what'd you say? You'll tell me what you said. And the substance of the conversation. And it'll be accurate, but it wouldn't be a transcript like you have in court. Isn't that true? Yes. That. That's sort of the way we have information in the Gospels. It's why when there are conversations happening and they're recorded in multiple gospels, that that they're not exactly the same.
S6: Because that still leaves the question of how Jesus.
S1: How did.
S6: They recorded in the garden if he was alone?
S1: Sure. That that's my first part of the answer is I want you to caution you against thinking it's verbatim. Secondly. Now, the second part of your question, uh, let's think about the Lord Jesus is alone with the Samaritan woman talking to her at the well. Right? And the disciples come and they find out. And but we have in the Gospel of John the entire conversation that the Lord had with her. I'm going to give you this radical idea. They said, Yeshua, what did you say to that woman? And he told them the conversation. Just like I said, my wife will sometimes see me talking to a neighbor. What did you say to Bob over there? And, well, I'll recount the conversation. I believe that's what happened very often. Another example is if Balaam was on top of a mountain, how is it that Moses knew to record what Balaam's oracles were? Well, it tells us in numbers 31 that Balaam was captured and executed for his provocation of Israel, to enter into idolatry and engage in terrible behavior. And he was executed for that. But I believe he was debriefed before he was executed. And I'm sure he said, well, I didn't curse you. Listen to the blessings that I gave you. And he told Moses the story of the donkey and then the oracles. And Moses said, thank you very much, but he still executed him. Uh, but that's how I think things were known by people relating what was said. I don't think there's any big mystery about it. Okay, okay.
S6: The one of Jesus in the garden, though, is a stickier one because he prayed that prayer. He went back to the disciples. They were asleep, and then he was arrested.
S1: Mhm.
S6: He could have told them after his resurrection.
S1: Could be.
S6: Yeah.
S1: Yeah. I it's not like he never talked to them again. You know I don't find it so problematic. Uh, he spent 40 days with them teaching them everything they needed to know, guiding them into all truth. So I don't think that's so much of a problem. Okay.
S6: Okay. Michael.
S1: Okay. Thank you. Ron. Really appreciate it. Uh, we're going to talk to Nancy in Zephyrhills, Florida, listening on KSL. Welcome to Open Line. Nancy. How can I help you today?
S7: Yes. Good morning. I was wondering about the two witnesses in the book of revelation, and my study guides will tell me that they suppose this to be Moses and Elijah. But I was thinking that it's probably Enoch and Elijah, because those were the two individuals that never faced death. God took them up into heaven, and I thought that would be a better explanation of the two witnesses than assuming it would be Moses. What do you think?
S1: Well, I think, uh, what do I think? Well, I don't think it has to be someone who never died. So I don't think it has to be Enoch. I think when you look at the description of them, it says in revelation 11, these men, verse six, these men have the power to close up the sky so that it does not rain during the days of their prophecy. That sounds like Elijah, right? And then it says they also have the power over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every plague whenever they want. That sounds like Moses. So Elijah and Moses is where they get it, but I'm not sure. I'm not. We'll see when it when it happens, I won't see. But when it happens, people will see. I'm not sure if this is literal Elijah and Moses, or so much as two prophets who will arise, who will be like Moses and Elijah in what they can and cannot do. It may be Moses and Elijah.
S8: Or are you in your car?
S1: Or it could very well be someone in the spirit and power of Moses and Elijah. Okay, Nancy.
S7: No, I was thinking that it might be because there was a prophet who said that Elijah would return.
S1: Yeah, I think Elijah will return. Malachi chapter four. But that's at the end of the tribulation period. Not necessarily here in revelation 11. Okay.
S8: Okay.
S7: All right. Thank you.
S1: Very much. You know, listen, Nancy, you don't have to agree with me at all. I'm just telling you the best I as I understand scripture. Okay. But if you think it's Enoch and Moses or Elijah, Enoch and Elijah, that's fine. Uh, you know, we'll see with these kinds of prophetic issues, I think it's important. Just wait and say, well, we'll see when it happens. Who's who's got it right. So okay, we're going to talk to, uh, Jerry, uh, in Ohio listening to CRF. Go ahead with your question right away because we're up against a break, Jerry.
S9: My question is about, uh, Matthew, um, 2339. Why did he say you will not see me again until you say, blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. What's your view on that?
S1: He's talking to Israel. Oh, Jerusalem. Jerusalem. I would have gathered you as a mother hen gathers her chicks, but you were unwilling. Now your house, your temple, is going to be left to you desolate. That's what the context is. And he says, and you won't see me again until you welcome me back. Until you welcome me back. That's what the phrase blessed is. He who comes in the name of the Lord means. And so the key to the Second Coming at the end of the tribulation is for Israel to welcome the Messiah back. And when Israel welcomes Jesus, just like Zechariah 1210 describes, when they see him, he will. When they call on him, he will return. They will see him. And that's the key to the end of the tribulation and the beginning of the kingdom. When Israel receives the Messiah, we'll be right back. Thanks for your call, Jerry. Stay with us. This is open line with Michael Radonich. And we're back. I'm Michael Redlich, and joining me right now for the Febc mailbag is Tricia McMillan. Far Eastern Broadcasting Company does so much to bring the gospel to people all around the globe, through media and through personal engagement. Uh, it's a great ministry. I hope you'll check out their website febc. Org. It also has a link there also on your whatever source you use for your podcast, you can get the podcast called Until All Have Heard featuring Ed Cannon. I think you'll really enjoy listening to that. Give you a wider picture of what God is doing through the world, and we appreciate Febc partnering with us to bring you Openline. Well, uh, Tricia, uh, we've got the mailbag here, and I know that you've been working hard on it. Uh, sometimes people send you questions and they want to know why it is that their question didn't get on the air. And the reason is we're trying to make our way through it, I know that, but then sometimes people ask questions in a really kind of unclear way. What do you do when someone asks a question that's not real clear?
S10: I try and write them back and say, what is it exactly that you're trying to find out? Because sometimes there's this, um, other reason that they're looking it up. They teach a Bible study, and they just that wasn't pertinent to the question itself, but it helps in us answering it. Sometimes it's, um, sometimes the question.
S1: Is just not clear.
S10: Yeah, sometimes it makes a lot of sense. When I read it, I'm like, oh, that's a great question. And then I talk with you and I try and ask it and I realize, wait, I don't actually know what they're asking. Um, so so I do try and write you back if, if I don't understand it, because I want to make sure that your question actually gets answered, that you're asking and that you're satisfied with that question.
S1: Yeah, I appreciate that you do that so much. Because, you know, sometimes when people ask me a question on the air and I don't understand it, I ask for clarification. Can't do that with a mailbag question. So that's why.
S10: I'm the one who has to clarify it. And if I don't know, then we're not going to be able to give you a good answer.
S1: Exactly. Okay. Well, what have we got today?
S10: All right. First question is from Chris in Arkansas. Listens to I listen to Open Line every week on my local radio station in Mena, Arkansas. And thank you.
S1: Thank.
S10: You, thank you. Yeah, I've been watching a documentary series about the origin of Christianity within Judaism. In one episode, they claim that the apostle Paul was an anti-Semite according to first Thessalonians 214 through 16. And this came as a complete shock to me. Can you offer any insight into this notion and the verses?
S1: You know, this is kind of interesting. I wrote an article for Bibliotheca Sacra called Was Paul anti-Semitic? That was the name of the article, and it was a reappraisal of First Thessalonians 214 through 16, which, uh, I don't know if I could find that article. Bibliotheca Sacra is an academic journal published by Dallas Theological Seminary. And the reason I'm interested in this passage is it was part of my master's thesis, and it's even I deal with it in a little booklet that's available on the internet. I think we can link that on our Facebook page, right?
S10: Yes we.
S1: Can. Yeah. Um, and so it's part of my, uh, interest level for my master's thesis and journal article I've written. And here's what I would say. Clearly, Paul wasn't anti-Semitic everywhere. When he's on trial, what does he say? I am a Jew of Tarsus. He's on trial for the hope of the resurrection. He's a Hebrew of Hebrews. He's a Pharisee. He says, uh, he doesn't. He always identifies as a Jewish person. Uh, anti-Semitism, by the way, defined is Jewish hatred of the Jewish people. He always identifies as a Jew. Secondly, uh, he talks about his great compassion and love for the Jewish people. In Romans three. He talks about that Jewish people have the advantage of being the guardians and preservers of Scripture. Uh, from them came the oracles of God. He said, uh, he also talks in Romans nine that were he Able, he would be willing to go to hell if only his Jewish brethren could believe and and go to heaven. Uh, he's willing to give up his relationship with the Lord if that would mean the redemption of his people. How does this sound? Like hatred? Uh, he says, I wish I could. This is Romans 9392. I have intense sorrow and continual anguish in my heart, for I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from the Messiah. For the benefit of my brothers, my countrymen, by physical descent, they are Israelites. And he talks about all the benefits, the blessings that God has given the Jewish people. Uh, and he talks about in Romans 11 how inappropriate it is for believers to be hateful of Jewish people. He says, because they are loved. Verse 28, they are loved because of the forefathers. Uh, and he says, God's gracious gifts and calling are irrevocable. He tells Christians not to be ignorant of God's plan for the Jewish people. He says, uh, I don't want you to be unaware of the mystery that God has for them. And then he also says, don't be conceited. Don't be arrogant toward those branches. The original, uh, to the Jewish people. So those are some of the things Paul is certainly not anti-Semitic. So when you come to first Thessalonians 214, where it talks about, uh, the Thessalonians, you brothers became imitators of God's churches, uh, that are in Judea. Since you have suffered the same things from people of your own country, just as they did from the Jews who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and persecuted us. They displeased God and are hostile to everyone. So is he saying all Jewish people did this? I think the answer is this. He says that the Thessalonians experienced persecution from their own country. They country. They experienced persecution from Gentiles, just as the Jewish believers in Judea suffered persecution from the Jewish leaders. He's using the word the Jews, just like the Apostle John does the gospel in the Gospel of John, where he uses the term Jews generally to speak of of the leadership that was opposed to Jesus and not all Jewish people. And that's what Paul is doing here, the Jewish leaders who killed the Lord Jesus. Not alone. They were part of the conspiracy of guilt between, uh, the, uh, the Roman leadership and the Jewish leadership together engaged in this conspiracy of guilt. You can read that in acts 427 and 28, uh, that they there was a conspiracy of guilt between Herod and Pontius Pilate. And there is also the Jewish leaders and the Roman soldiers, and all together they conspired to kill the Lord Jesus. He's only talking about those Jewish leaders here. And they persecuted Paul. Certainly did. And they displeased God. The Jewish leaders certainly displeased God and are hostile to anyone that wanted to believe in Jesus. That's not all Jewish leaders, even. But the predominant leadership really were opposed to Jesus. He's talking about a select, simple group. Not all Jewish people. And he says, uh, how do I know this? Because they were the ones trying to keep Paul from speaking to the Gentiles. Uh, not all Jewish people, just those Jewish leaders there in the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem. And, uh, this is then saying that they will bring upon themselves judgment. It's, uh, a kind of it's called a proleptic aorist, an heiress that is so certain that it will come that it's spoken of as a completed action. But that's actually talking about A.D. 70, when the judgment will come. Just as you know, for rejecting the Messiah, the leadership, rejecting the Messiah. That's what that's about. So here's the point I'm making. If, you know, I was talking a lot, lot, lot. But here's the point. Paul was not hateful of all Jewish people. In fact, he had a great compassion for them. And in this verse, he's talking about a select group that were hostile. And not all Jewish people. And he's he's just stating the facts that they were opposed to Jesus, opposed to the gospel, opposed to proclaiming it. And as a result, they will face judgment.
S10: Okay. I hope that helps, Chris. Um, as you as you continue reading, um, our next question. Yeah.
S1: Wait, wait. Are you going to post that? Yes. Maybe we can on the Facebook page.
S10: Yes, I'll post it and I'll post it on the website as well for people. I'll see if.
S1: I can find a copy of that article I wrote on the journal. Okay. Uh, maybe we can get that posted too.
S10: Okay. We'll see. Okay. So. But it was called. They called me Christ killer. Right. Is the booklet. Is the booklet that you wrote okay, I will I will pull anti-Semitic.
S1: Is the article I wrote okay.
S10: Okay. All right. Yeah. We'll see what we can find. And I will post whatever we find on our website. Our next question is from Jean in Georgia, who listens to I Know Jesus and the Holy Spirit as a comforter and teacher to believers here on earth. What happens to the Holy Spirit when we get to heaven?
S11: You know.
S1: God has not disclosed that fully to me. No, he's still going to work. Uh, what I was thinking of is the picture of heaven in Romans, in revelation chapter one, where it says, uh, grace and peace to you. Verse four in the middle from the one who is, who was and who is coming. Then it says, from the seven spirits before his throne are the seven spirits. That's another way of talking about the Holy Spirit. The reason he is called the Seven Spirits is based on Isaiah 11, where it talks about the anointing of the Holy Spirit on the Messiah. And it has seven times seven anointings and as a result of that, he's called the seven spirits in revelation chapter one. And so he's before the throne of God, facilitating worship. Uh, that's what I can tell. And we will be worshiping God. And as a result, I think part of the way the Holy Spirit will do it is he will facilitate that worship through us before the throne of God. That's at least one thing I know the Holy Spirit will do when we get to heaven.
S10: Okay. Okay. Um, so that was revelation one four. Yeah. Okay. Okay. So still continuing to work.
S1: And yeah, the thing about it, the Triune God is eternal, right? Forever was he was. He is. And he will be. And so but you know, he hasn't disclosed everything the Holy Spirit will do. We'll see. Okay.
S10: Well. Thank you. Thank you for that. Um.
S1: Yeah.
S10: All right.
S1: Yeah. Yeah. Well, that was great. Thank you so much for bringing those questions. I really appreciate it. And we'll talk more about those questions coming up, uh, next week. Thanks for all you do and putting the mailbag together. You can always reach us by going to Openlibrary.org and click on Ask Michael a question and, uh, and just we'll put it in the mailbag. That was Tricia McMillan. I'm Michael Zelnick. We'll be right back with more in just a minute. Welcome back to Open Line. So glad that we're together studying the word together today. Uh, hope you've had a great Saturday, and we'll continue to enjoy your weekend. Now, a couple of things I need to mention. First of all, you're aware, I am sure that Israel is in a tough state right now. They're in the midst of a war started by Hamas. They just came out of a 12 day war with Iran. It's it's quite a challenge in Israel. And people will wonder, well, what does the future hold? Chosen People Ministries, one of our partners here on Open Line, is offering a free ebook that will give you the answer to that question. It's called Israel's Glorious Future. The book details God's faithfulness to his covenant promises and shows how God will be faithful to those very same prophets, promises, and prophecies made about Israel. If you'd like a free copy of Israel's Glorious future, just go to openlibrary.org. That's our website, openlibrary.org. Scroll all the way down. You'll see a link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and then you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your very own copy of Israel's Glorious Future. And also, I do want to mention, too, that there's the Bible Conference on a tall ship in the Caribbean coming up in December. If you're interested in that, go to that same website, Open Line radio.org. Scroll down all the way to the link that says Michael's personal website. And when you go to my website, you'll see the link to that upcoming trip in December, if you're interested in being part of that. Now we're going to go right to the phones to Julie listening in Florida on 91.1. Welcome to Open Line. Julie. How can I help you today?
S12: Hi. Thank you so much for taking my question. Um, so my question is, with everything happening with Israel right now, you I come across two kind of groups of Christians. The first that say pray for Israel. You know, the Bible tells us whoever blesses Israel will be blessed. Then you have another group of Christians that say, The Israel of today is not the Israel of the Bible, that the Israel of today is those grafted into the body of Christ. And if you believe that Israel today is Israel, the Bible, it's, um, dispensationalism, replacement theology, and that you're a Zionist. So this really has me confused on this issue. And I was wondering if you can give me some clarification on that.
S1: Sure. Well, first of all, I did a whole program with Chris Fabry this past Thursday about this subject and right in the middle of writing a book about it. So, uh, looking to the past, if you want to go to the website, to the Chris Fabry live website and listen to that program from Thursday, that might be helpful to people who are interested in this subject. And then also, uh, hang on. Hopefully by the fall, that book will be out on the subject about biblical Israel versus modern Israel. Okay. Okay. That's the first thing. Secondly, to call someone a Zionist, unfortunately, has been made into a dirty word, a Zionist. Zion refers to Jerusalem and then ultimately the whole land of Israel. A Zionist is someone who believes that the Jewish people have the right of self-determination in their ancient homeland. It doesn't mean anything other than that that Israel has a right to exist. And so saddened that Zionists somehow has become something bad. I used to have a button many years ago that I would put on my jacket that said, God is a Zionist because God believes in the right of Israel. He's the one that brought them back to the land of Israel. So now the question, first of all, is biblical Israel, modern Israel the same as it was? Is it the same today as it was in the Bible? Well, it's not exactly the same. Uh, Israel had a monarchy in the Old Testament. Today it's got a prime minister. It's not a king. It was a theocracy governed by God in the Old Testament. Today it's a democracy. It's a secular democracy. And so it's not the same. Here's what's the same. The in the in the Bible, Israel, the land of Israel, is the nation state of the Jewish people today, the land of Israel, the State of Israel is the nation state of the Jewish people. Same difference may be governed differently, but it's the same. Uh, secondly, those who want to argue that it's different, uh, misunderstand the the New Testament very plainly. The New Testament teaches that God is faithful to his promises to literal Israel. He's not going to take the promises of literal Israel and give them to the church. The church has great promises, not the same as the promises to Israel. God's going to be faithful to his promises. In fact, Romans nine through 11 teaches, you know, Romans eight ends with, nothing's going to separate us from the love of God. And you can just hear the objector saying, well, what about Israel? You know, God, God's not been faithful to them. And so Romans nine through 11 is the vindication of God that he's going to keep every promise to Israel. And that's how we know that he'll keep his promises to us. So if I can just direct you, there are a lot of verses we could look at. You'll have to wait for my book for that. But Romans 1128 says this regarding the gospel. They are enemies for your advantage. But regarding election or chosenness, they are loved because of the patriarchs, since God's gracious gifts and calling are irrevocable. So it is. It's recognizing that Jewish people are opposed to the gospel, and that's the advantage of Gentiles. That's why the gospel went out to the Gentiles. But regarding election, which is just a big word for chosen chosenness regarding their being chosen, they remain loved because of the promises that God made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. There's no replacement theology. God's going to keep his promises to Israel. Why? Because his gracious gifts and his calling of Israel are irrevocable. Can't be changed. What is it talking about when it talks about the gracious gifts? Romans nine four, it says they are Israelites, and to them belong. And that whole sentence is governed by a present tense. Intense. Theirs are. The adoption as sons. God called Israel, my son in Exodus four. The glory. The covenants, including the land covenant, the giving of the law, the temple service and the promises, including the promise of the Messiah and the promise of land. The patriarchs are theirs, and from them by physical descent came the Messiah. So God's going to keep every promise to Israel. There's no replacement theology. I think it's crucial that we understand that, that there truly is a blessing in the Abrahamic covenant. God will bless those who bless the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Those who bless Israel will be blessed, and God will treat those with contempt who have treated Israel with contempt. I think that's a good basic principle. If you're interested in a whole book about replacement theology, Geology. There's a book by Michael Vlock. Has the church replaced Israel? Great book. You might be interested in that. Does that help at all, Julie?
S12: It does. Thank you. Because I fall under the first category where I'm praying for Israel. I want Israel to be safe. So I just didn't understand that other way of thinking.
S1: But that's it. Hey, thanks so much for your call. That's the program for the week. I can't believe it's over. We had a great time talking about it, but we'll be back next week thanks to the Open Line team. Tricia. Tahira, Omar, Lisa and Rihanna. Keep in touch with us by going to our website openlibrary.org. It's got all the links you're looking for, so don't miss out there. Keep reading the Bible. We're going to talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Riedel is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. Have a great weekend.