S1: Today on Bold steps, Mark Jobe shows us the depths of God's power in our lives.
S2: When the power of God opens up your eyes, you start realizing, I knew in my head that he loved me. But now I know the depth and the power and the height. And I really understand that God loves me and who I am in God. I mean, this is incredible. You need power to do that.
S1: And welcome to Bold Steps with pastor Mark Jobe. Mark is the senior pastor of New Life Community Church and president of Moody Bible Institute, both in Chicago. And I'm Wayne Shepherd. Well, yesterday on the program, we gave you the first point related to seeing the depths of God's power in our life. And Mark said we needed to be looking closely at our diet to see what we're feeding our inner man. We'll pick up that point as we turn to the third chapter of the book of Ephesians, where in verses 14 through 21, let's join Mark job right now for today's message called The Power at Work in You.
S2: The old Jew doesn't like Jesus presence in your life to begin to rearrange the furniture. The old you likes to keep the furniture where you want it, the old you likes the locked doors and say, hey, don't get in this door. This is my door. The old you tries to make the Spirit of God feel like a guest in the house, and the only way to overcome it is the power of God. Paul says, I pray that you would have power, that Christ may dwell in your heart, may be at home in your life. You need power to do that. Listen, you can't. You cannot overcome the flesh without the power of God. You cannot white knuckle it to change yourself. You need supernatural power of God to begin to defeat the power of the flesh in your life. Your flesh is strong, and the more you feed it, the stronger it gets. Okay, so you're hanging out clubbing for three four hours with a Diet Coke, and you don't think that atmosphere people are bumping and grinding and going to town, and everybody's there to find who they're going to hook up with and get a little fringe benefits on the side. At the end of the night, you don't think that atmosphere is affecting you at all. So you live that. Listen to B96 all day, watch R-rated movies and and, and, and Desperate Housewives is your favorite program. And then and then you wonder why you're so weak and you say, pastor, I just don't understand it. I just want to say, but, but but hey, I do come to church on Sunday. Yeah. And you get a 45 minute message a week. But you've been feeding your soul garbage. Garbage most of the week. And you come on Sunday and have a big glass of carrot juice. And you think that it's going to fix your diet when you've been eating fries and and and garbage all week long and you think one big glass of carrot juice is going to fix you up, come on. No wonder you're struggling. Whatever you feed the most is what will have victory in your life. And some of you, you have the Spirit of God inside of you. But you live your Christian life constantly struggling because you feed your flesh much more than what you feed your spirit. When your flesh and your spirit go to battle, which they will often go to battle, they'll be constant battles between your flesh and your spirit. Your flesh wins because your flesh is has more food than your spirit does, And your flesh is pumped up and strong and fighting your spirit. And you just say, I don't know how to overcome. Well, I know begin to feed your spirit and begin to starve your flesh. And I can guarantee you're going to see much more spiritual victory than you do flesh victory in your life. And Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray the second prayer is. And I pray, I love this, that you, being rooted. And established in love, may have power. By the way, he uses a mixed metaphor here. Rooted is what a tree does. Grounded is the image of a building that has a good foundation. The general idea is that you have a strong foundation. You have to be rooted and grounded in love. What love? The love of God. And I pray that you, being rooted and grounded in love. May have. There goes again. Power. Power for what? Power together with all the saints. Who are the saints? We are the saints. Some of you have been listening. Who are the saints? We are. Some of you are having a problem with saying that. Like, ah, I don't know if I can call myself a saint pastor, you know. No, no, no. If you have the Spirit of God inside of you, you're a saint called apart unto God. That we may have power together with all the believers or all the saints. To do what? Power to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ. We need power to grasp the multi dimension of God's love. Uh, week and a half ago I went to see a movie with my 11 year old son and one of his friends. It was about wolves. And we went to an Imax. We went to and it was just a regular theater. But as we walked in, they said, this is a 3D film. It was a cartoon film. And so they give us these little, uh, glasses as we walk into the theater and they're 3-D glasses. And so we put these glasses on, and when the movie starts in 3D, if you don't have the glasses on, you see things kind of fuzzy, right? Have you ever done that? Taking off your glasses? 3-D theater. It's kind of fuzzy. It's not really focused, but you put the glasses on and suddenly you see everything in 3D. and it literally looks like images are like coming out of the screen at you, right? In fact, I looked over to my son and his friend and they're going like this, you know, kind. Of like, you know, I'm trying to touch the image there because because it looks like the image is coming out. Well, what Paul is saying is that some of you know about the love of God, almost as though you were seeing the love of God through a ten by ten black and white old fashioned TV. And you know about God's love. And if someone were to ask you, does God love you? You say, yeah, you know, God is love. You know, I guess he loves everybody, but but, but but you're seeing it in, in black and white and technically, you know, he loves you. And technically, you know God is love. But you need power. You need supernatural power of the Holy Spirit that opens your eyes and reveals to you the incredible beauty and depth and power and multi dimension of God's love. And so when the power of God opens up your eyes, you start realizing, wow, I knew in my head that he loved me. But now I know the depth and the power and the height. And I really understand that God loves me and who I am and God, I mean, this is incredible. You need power to do that. Let me tell you why that's so important. A lot of what we struggle with in life has to do with our identity. When we do not understand the love of God, we will struggle with our own identity, our own worth. And when you struggle with your own worth and your own identity, you will struggle with making good decisions in your life because however you see yourself will determine most the decisions that you make in life. If I do not realize how precious and valuable I am to God, and that I have worth and dignity, because God loves me and he's sealed me with His Holy Spirit, and he's called me his own. And when I know that God loves me in this way, then when people start treating me in ways that aren't in line with God's love, when I start dating and a guy, a young woman starts dating and she's treated like dirt and called names and not respected when she knows who she is, in the love of God, she says, hey buddy, to the curve with you because I'm not going to live with that or accept that. You know why? Because she knows who she is, but if she doesn't know who she is, if she views herself, if she hasn't grasped the love of God and she views herself there, then she accepts and takes and lives with stuff because she feels like that's what she deserves, or that's all she can get. And so she lives being treated in the way that she sees herself. The same with a man. If a man does not understand who he is and his dignity and value that he's made in the eyes of his creator, then he begins to live low. He begins to act low. He begins to talk low. He begins to conduct his life in a way that's well beneath his power and his potential. Why? Because that's the way he sees himself. When he begins to understand who he is, when he begins to understand his value, his identity, his fullness of God that he's made in the image of his creator, and that God has empowered him to be something well beyond what others around us expect of him. Then he rises to be a man of God. He rises to speak in a different way, walk in a different way. He he rises well beyond the norm. Why? Because he knows who he is.
S1: You're listening to Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. We'll continue today's message in a moment. Mark, there's something I've been noticing lately that I think many of our listeners are thinking about. With so many voices competing for our attention. There's social media news cycles, workplace demands. It's easy to lose sight of what matters eternally. And I find myself wondering how many Christians today are investing their best resources in things that won't ultimately last.
S3: You know, Wayne, I remember when my youngest son was playing football in high school. It was a big game and I went there. I was cheering him on And I got a phone call and I thought, well, let me pick up this phone call just for a moment. So I went down and I got on the phone call, and it was right at that time that my son, he intercepted a pass. And afterwards he said, dad, did you see that? And I had to say I missed the moment I was distracted by something. And in the end, it wasn't an urgent phone call. Listen, right now, there's a lot of distraction. The political environment in our country, there's a drama every day. There's a lot that's happening internationally. There's wars, there's natural disasters. It feels like we are just sucked into it. But I want to say, don't miss the moment. I believe that we are seeing more people come to Christ at this season at a time, especially under the age of 35, than I have ever seen in our lifetime. It's happening in Africa and Europe. It's happening in the United States of America. We at Bold Steps are committed to not get distracted, but to make sure that we are proclaiming the gospel of Jesus at a time of uncertainty so that people can come to know him in this window of opportunity that we have. So we want to encourage you. Pray. Don't miss the moment.
S1: Such an important word, Mark. Thank you. And if you would like to become part of this eternal work today by visiting us, you can do that at Bold steps.org and make a gift or call us at 800 Moody. That's (800) 356-6639. And when you do, we'll send you a special gift as a way of saying thanks for partnering with us and sharing God's truth that will last eternally. More on that later. But let's get back to the message now. Again, here's Mark Jobe.
S2: And then he goes on to say the third request. It's all about power. The third request is power. to experience this love and allow it to fill you. Notice what it says in verse 19, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to the measure of the fullness of God. Hold on. How can you know something that is too great for your knowledge to grasp? He says, I want you to know it, but it surpasses your knowledge. Like someone saying to, you know, the the trigonometry professor saying to the student, listen, I want you to know this, but it's way beyond you. I want you to know this, but it's indescribable. Your mind cannot grasp it. Listen, what God is saying is, I don't want you to know this merely intellectually, because your finite mind cannot comprehend the depth and the power of God's love. So the only way you can know it is by experiencing it. You know, there are certain things that you can't describe. You just have to experience, right? You know, you try to describe it just like, yeah, just how do you describe a rainbow to a blind person that's never seen color? Seriously, someone that's never seen black, white, blue never seen light. They've been blind all their life. How do you describe the colors of a rainbow to a blind person? I mean, think about it. Try to do it in your head a little bit. Come on. I mean, it's really hard to describe someone to something, to someone that has no reference to grasp it. And what God is saying is that, listen, you have no reference to grasp how powerful his love is. Oh, yeah, we can say, well, you know, it's like the love of a man and a woman that is so bland compared to the love of God. I mean, it's not even a reference. I mean, you can say, well, it's like the love of a mother to a son and daughter. No, no, no. It's too bland. It's not even a reference there. It's so big. It's so much bigger than that. It's so much undescribable than that. It's something that you cannot really grasp with your intellect, but you can only experience with your spirit. As God ever worked in your life where people were trying to say, well, what happened? And you just can't explain it? I just don't know how to explain it. I just know that he has. Oh. What happened? Well, tell me about it. Well, I just I don't know how to describe it. I don't know how to articulate it, but God is working and touching in my, my life in such a way that I cannot articulate it or describe it. You know why? Because it belongs to the spiritual world, and the spiritual world cannot fully be articulated by our physical world, by our physical words, because it happens in the spiritual realm. And the spiritual realm cannot be comprehended by the physical realm completely. The spiritual realm cannot be understood fully in the physical realm because it's another realm. And what God is saying is, I want you to experience the power of God inside of you in such a way, and listen what he says in verse 19, that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. That you may be filled to the measure of the fullness of God. That you're going to be filled in a way not to your own fullness, but to the fullness of God That God's going to be filling you in such a way that his fullness in you. It's almost like taking a person and submerging them into something. When you begin to understand the love of God, it's like God taking you and submerging you in that, in the love that cannot be understood or comprehended in the physical realm. You need the power of God to understand it. It changes your life. When you begin to understand how much God loves you, you rooted and grounded in that love. It's a spiritual dimension and it can only happen through the spiritual realm. That's why you can be one of the greatest intellects in the world, and still not begin to even grasp the infinite part of God, because your finite mind cannot understand the infinite nature of God Almighty. And then he closes with this. And I'll close with this. Verse 20 now to him who is able. Oh, I love this. Now to him who is able, who is able, God is able. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably. How much is immeasurably beyond measure? Can't even measure. Can't. I can't take a tape measure and measure it. I can't take a scale and weigh and weigh it. I can't measure it. It's beyond measurement. Now, to him who is able to do immeasurably. Way, way, way, way, way beyond your comprehension. Way, way, way beyond your ability to measure it. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all that we ask or even imagine. Say, well, I'm going to ask God for this. God says, you don't even know. And your little petty prayer. I'm going to blow you out of the water because you don't even know how to articulate what I'm going to do to you. You don't even know how to ask what I'm about to unleash in your spirit. Your little prayer to ask of it wouldn't even, wouldn't even describe half of what I'm going to do. In fact, you can't even imagine. You can't even imagine what I want to do in your life and in your spirit and in your destiny. To him who is able to do immeasurably more than all that you can ask or even imagine to that God, to that God that is way beyond what you could ask or imagine. Have you ever talked with a little kid when they're little? They're young and they say. Ask for something, and they think they're asking for a lot. I'm going to be rich. I'm going to have $100. They're like blowing you away. Like I'm going to be rich one day. I have 100, $100. And that's the biggest they can think of. They don't even know. They don't even have the capacity or the language to ask for what really is coming. They think they're asking big hundred. We're like 100. 100? Yeah, I think that's that's God with us. You say I'm asking for. Whoa! And God's like you're asking for. Whoa! Really? I'll blow that out of the water. Him who is able to do immeasurably more than whatever we ask or imagine. How does he do it? According to the power. That is already at work within us. Oh, it's already there. The seed of transformation changed. The seed of metamorphosis, the seed of your destiny and work in your life is already deposited within you. It's a power that's already at work within you. The power of God inside of you. According to his power that's at work in our inner man or our inner being or within us. All that we can say is to him be glory in the church, because we are the church, the manifestation of that. And in Christ Jesus, not only in this generation, but through all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
S1: Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us. To him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. From Ephesians chapter three. Mark, thank you for a great message today.
S4: Yeah. Thank you Wayne. Such a powerful passage.
S1: Now coming up tomorrow, the 4th of July, by the way, here, we're going to move on to Ephesians four with a message about living up to our God given calling and purposes how to walk worthy. Give us a preview, Mark.
S4: Yeah, well, first of all, happy 4th of July. Yeah, right. We want to pause and just say we live in a nation with all its faults, all its issues, one of the greatest nations in the world. And God has truly allowed us to be a blessing to many nations.
S1: Happy birthday to.
S4: Us. Yeah, happy birthday to us. In Ephesians, the apostle.
S2: Paul tells us that we are to walk worthy of our calling. In other words, you have a calling upon your life and so step up and walk worthy of that calling. That's what this message is about. Ephesians chapter four. When you believe everything changes, walk worthy.
S1: All right. Thank you Mark. We're looking forward to that. And with a few minutes we have left, let me remind you that we have a brand new bold step gift available that we highly recommend in a world of social media and constant comparison. The ancient sin of envy has never been more prevalent or damaging. Pastor Mike Weber's book envy, provides a biblical roadmap for identifying this destructive emotion and finding freedom through Christ. Request this essential, bold step gift today and begin your journey toward contentment and joy. Request your copy of Pastor Mike's book on envy. When you give a gift of any amount to support the Ministry of Bold Steps. Call us at 800. D.L. Moody that's (800) 356-6639 or give online at Bold Steps. You can also send your donation and request pastor Mike Weber's book, envy by writing to us at Bold Steps, 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 606 ten. Again, 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 606 ten. And before we sign off, let me remind you that all of these daily messages and faith building resources can be found anywhere, anytime, by downloading the Bold Steps app. So do that today by searching your app store for the free Bold Steps app with doctor Mark Jobe. I'm Wayne Shepherd. That's our time for today. Be sure to join us tomorrow though, when Mark shows us how we can always be walking worthy of God's call in our lives. That's coming up Friday right here on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. Bold steps is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.