S1: Predictably, we meet them only during the Christmas season. Herod the Great and Mary, the mother of Jesus, both play an enormous role in that story, but a deeper look at their lives and legacies is a journey, I think, worth taking. So coming up, we're going to explore facets of Herod and Mary that will surprise and amaze. So join us now for the land and the book. It's your weekly visit to the Middle East with travel guide Doctor Charlie Dyer. And I'm John Gager. You know, Charlie is the end of this year approaches. Many world events have left us wondering what God's plan is for the future. And that's, I suppose, especially true when it comes to Israel. Despite its small size, people around the world are just intensely focused on what takes place there. Our today's headlines connected in any way with the prophecies in Scripture. And how should followers of Jesus interpret current events as we await his second coming?
S2: Yeah, absolutely. John. And people are thinking that, especially in light of events just even this past week. But to help answer those important questions, our friends at Life and Messiah encourage you to check out their book, God, Israel and Bible Prophecy with Scripture as its foundation. This book will take you on a journey into what God has in store for the Jewish people and the nations. This book is for anyone who wants to explore where modern day events fit on God's grand timeline. Now, if that's you or someone you know, this would be a great resource or gift. Visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Much to talk about in the Middle East this past week. Let's dig into our top stories. A week ago, judges at the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Yahoo and former defence minister Yoav Gallant. What's the basis for the charges? How valid are they and what could they impact?
S2: Well, the court issued the arrest warrants for Netanyahu and Galant for war crimes. Specifically, they're charged with using starvation as a method of warfare and with crimes against humanity through the use of murder, persecution and other inhumane acts, including attacks against civilian populations. But the charges are based on shaky legal ground. The court has no jurisdiction against Israel since Israel, nor the US for that matter, are members of the International Criminal Court, and the treaty that established the court precludes the court from considering cases against any country with a valid judicial system that's willing and able to investigate alleged crimes on its own. As a result, France said, Netanyahu and Galant should be immune from the charges and that they wouldn't arrest them. The Wall Street Journal noted that the precedent that's trying to be established could actually harm all democracies, not just Israel, by making it difficult to defend against terror groups or rogue states. The laws of warfare by which war crimes are defined were written when wars were fought by nations with standing armies. The rise in terrorism has upended those rules. This war began when Hamas invaded Israel, killing 1200 Israeli citizens, taking 250 Israelis as hostages and committing other atrocities like rape and torture, and firing thousands of rockets against Israeli towns and cities. They also embedded their soldiers, command centers, rocket launchers and weapons in and under hospitals, mosques, schools, homes and apartments, using their own citizens as human shields. Yet the low ratio of civilians to combatants killed illustrates the reality that Israel didn't deliberately target civilians. The Wall Street Journal study noted that the IDF may have achieved the lowest ratio of civilian to combatant deaths in the history of urban warfare, and rather than seeking to starve the people of Gaza as the court has charged, Israel facilitated the transfer of more than 57,000 aid trucks and 1.1 million tons of aid into Gaza in its fight against Hamas. Israel has worked hard to avoid civilian casualties, but what happens next? It's up to the leaders in the US and the West. The West needs to stand up and declare that Islamic fundamentalism and its fanatical hatred of Israel and the Jews is the root cause of this conflict, and that the so-called rules of war need to be modified to enable countries to fight terrorists without facing legal charges for doing so.
S1: Story number two A cease fire between Israel and Hezbollah was all the talk this week, approved by all parties, went into effect early Wednesday. What are the details of the truce and how likely is it to lead to peace in the North?
S2: Well, again, the US, with help from France and others, developed a pathway forward that was acceptable to all parties. That's based in part on the UN Security Council Resolution 1701 that really never did take effect. Wednesday was the beginning of a 60 day truce during which Israel will withdraw from southern Lebanon, allowing the Lebanese Army and UN forces to deploy there. Hezbollah will be prohibited from returning south of the Litani River. A five country mechanism that includes the US, France, the UN, Lebanon and Israel will monitor the cease fire. The US issued a letter of guarantee to Israel while the exact contents weren't made public. Apparently it spells out specific situations where Israel can respond to Hezbollah should they violate the agreement. There was some opposition to the deal in Israel, because it doesn't allow residents in the North to return immediately to their homes. There were also concerns over Hezbollah's past violations of UN resolution 1701. The agreement is only good if Hezbollah is willing to honor it. The hope is that the Lebanese army can now enforce it against a weakened Hezbollah. The next 60 days are crucial. That's just about the amount of time the Biden administration will remain in power. So do they have the will to implement the agreement, or will Hezbollah try to reestablish itself in the area before the next administration takes office? Only time will tell. And now we need to be watching to see if a ceasefire can also be brokered in the South with Gaza.
S1: Charlie, what's your guess as to the likelihood of this cease fire truly being a ceasefire and and going all 60 days?
S2: I think it will last mainly because Hezbollah has been hit so hard, and Israel has made it very clear that they won't tolerate any violations of the agreement.
S1: And I noted President Biden's support along those same lines in a public statement. Absolutely. Story number three, the world has been waiting for over a month for Iran's threatened revenge attack against both Israel and the U.S. so what exactly has been happening or in this case, not happening with Iran.
S2: You know, they continued to make threats. The International Atomic Energy Agency adopted a resolution censuring Iran for failure to cooperate with the agency. In response, Iran announced it would immediately bring new, more advanced centrifuges online to enrich uranium. But threats of a direct attack on Israel have given way more to talk about improving Iran's economy, despite boasts that Israel is heading toward the dustbin of history. Iran is concerned about its own weakness right now. The election of President Trump has raised concern that the US could allow Israel to respond to any Iranian attack, and the US might even join in. Apparently, Iran's Assembly of Experts convened several months ago to secretly elect a new ayatollah to replace Khamenei, and that new ayatollah is his son. The decision, though, has been kept secret out of fear it might spark national protests. Iran's economy is in shambles, and Trump is threatening to reimpose drastic economic sanctions lifted by the Biden administration in spite of its vast oil and gas reserves. Iran is experiencing widespread blackouts. The electric grid is unable to meet demand. Iran is also experiencing a severe water shortage. Instead of investing in infrastructure, over the years, the country has been investing in weapons in its nuclear program and in its support for international terror, and they are now fearful that Israel might retaliate to another attack by eliminating several of their key nuclear facilities, or by taking its oil refineries out of commission, plunging the nation into absolute chaos. Iran might boast, but watch carefully to see what the regime does, to try to avoid conflict and to stay in power.
S1: This is the land and the book moving just a little further afield. Tensions continue to rise in Africa between Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia. What's causing all the tension and why is it so important?
S2: Yeah, you know, it's an area we don't focus on regularly, but it does bear watching. The dispute between Egypt and Ethiopia is primarily over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam. The dam was completed in 2023 and has been generating electricity for the past year. Egypt's fear is that the dam will reduce the flow of the Nile River, and the Nile supplies 98% of Egypt's water. But the dam isn't the only area of contention. Ethiopia has reached out to support Somaliland, a breakaway region in neighboring Somalia, in exchange for giving Ethiopia access to the Red sea. Somalia is upset over the deal, and Egypt and Somalia want to form a coalition to block Ethiopia's growing influence. Ethiopia has had 10,000 soldiers in Somalia to help fight against the al-Shabab militant group. Somalia now wants the Ethiopian soldiers out when the agreement ends at the end of this year. Meanwhile, Egypt has sent a thousand of their own troops into Somalia, and another 10,000 are scheduled to arrive in January. Egypt has also been sending planeloads of arms and ammunition to Somalia. Ethiopia is concerned that Egypt and Somalia could eventually attack them. And as if all that's not enough trouble. Yemen and the Houthis are just across the Red sea. These clients of Iran have also had an interest in this region in Africa. Now, it might not make our news, but the region is crucial because it impacts shipping through the Red sea and the Suez Canal.
S1: Charlie, so much swirling around right now and just a lot of trouble in the Middle East. I'm going to invite you to pause and pray, as Scripture says, for the peace of Jerusalem and the entire region.
S2: Lord, we do pray right now for that region. Thank you for this agreement that has just been brokered this week. We do pray that it would take hold, that it would be effective, that it would help save lives in Lebanon and in Israel. And we pray that an agreement could also be reached with Hamas that could bring the hostages back home. Lord, we know you love peace. We know you're the God of peace. And we ask that you would bring that peace, even temporarily, to the region now. Amen.
S1: Up next, a visit with Herod and Mary. You'll discover things you never saw before on the land and the book. Predictably, we meet them only during the Christmas season. Herod the Great and Mary the mother of Jesus. And they both play an enormous role in that story. But their lives and legacies are much bigger than the birth of Christ. Hey, welcome back to the land and the book segment two. I'm John Gager. Coming up, the true story of the tyrant king and the mother of the Risen Savior. Right now, though, let's get fired up about a fresh idea for sharing Jesus with a Jewish friend. So maybe you've tried reaching out to your Jewish friend by way of thoughts on on your own spiritual journey, and you find that they're polite, but they don't seem to want to go any deeper on the subject. Why are my Jewish friends so polite about my faith in Jesus, but don't really want to go any further along that conversation? Let's ask Eva Radonich with Chosen People Ministries. What's the answer there?
S3: Well, I think our Jewish friends are encouraged by our faith, our spiritual practice. They're very broad in their acceptance of any sort of spirituality or religious practice, and they're happy that we have a relationship with God that is meaningful to us. But for them, Christianity, Jesus is a closed door. They want to be, oh, this is really good for you, but it's not for me. And our challenge is to say it's really for everybody. I'm not targeting you because you're Jewish. I just want everybody to understand the promises that God made in the Tanakh, the Old Testament, and how they were fulfilled in Jesus, Yeshua. And they're for everybody. For me, as a non-Jew and for Jewish people as well, they don't want to offend us by saying, oh, don't talk to me. They're very open and warm, but they're hesitant.
S1: Yeah. Two thoughts about this closed door analogy. Number one would be it's never polite to bang on a door. So there's some sensitivity there for us. And number two, Jesus still specializes in opening locked or slammed doors, is he not?
S3: Exactly. And I think our best tool is to love people until they ask us why.
S1: Eva Radonich serves with Chosen People Ministries. Thanks for your conversation.
S3: Thank you John.
S1: Doctor Brian Litvin grew up in Dallas, Texas, Oxford, England and Memphis, Tennessee. It's a shame he doesn't get around. He earned a degree in print journalism from the University of Tennessee, a master's degree in historical theology at Dallas Seminary, and a Ph.D. in the field of ancient church history at the University of Virginia. The author of four non-fiction books and six novels, Doctor Litvin now works as Professor of Bible and theology at Rawlings School of Divinity at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. He recently joined forces with Kathie Lee Gifford to create the book Harold and Mary. Hey, welcome to the land and the book. Brian.
S4: Great to be here. John, thanks so much for having me. It's an honor.
S1: Well, Brian, why these two characters compared and contrasted in the book?
S4: Yeah. Well, you know, um, it's sort of a dark versus light in some ways. And Kathie has had a fascination for a long time with Herod, ever since she's kind of traveled in the land and wanted to tell his story. She calls it the greatest story never told. And as we began to think about, you know, how do you tell the story of a of a tyrant or how do you delve into kind of the evil mind of someone like this? Is that just going to be a big negative story? Well, what we realized is that the Lord had arranged a kind of counterpoint in the narrative where you've got this figure of Mary. If you could tell her backstory as much as it could be imagined or reconstructed, you'd have this kind of opposite where you have this tyrant figure. But behind the scenes, the Lord is doing something good with a more insignificant person. And so, weaving their story together, we call the story of Mary a golden thread that's weaving its way through the dark fabric of Herod's life.
S1: I absolutely love the timeline that you created for us up front. A super job of juxtaposing secular history with the biblical record. How difficult was that to create? Assigning actual dates to so many things?
S4: Well, it was not as difficult with Herod because we have extensive sources, mostly Josephus, about his life, and his life is correlating with Roman history. So you can kind of anchor a few points with Mary. You don't have that except in early Christian traditions about her life, where you don't know for sure they're not coming directly from the Bible. So of course they're not inspired. But, you know, they might have nuggets of truth in them. And so that was the more challenging part was to maybe anchor some of Mary's backstory and imagine that. But we did the best we could and tried to kind of tell the story as best we can.
S1: Herod and Mary, the true story of the tyrant king and the mother of the risen Savior. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager, joined today by Doctor Brian Litvin. Well, let's get to Herod, the man. We know him, of course, for his infamous killing of the baby boys in Bethlehem. But killing was really part of his DNA. That wasn't the first incident. So who were some of the more notable people on Herod's hit list? There were a whole lot of them. Yeah.
S4: There were. I mean, he started slow, you might say. I mean, he didn't start out like that, you know, like it's in his DNA in one sense. But in some ways, it was that creeping decision to be that kind of person. And he starts out by killing political enemies or executing supposed criminals, but he begins to cross those lines. And as you mentioned, he crosses the lines even to his family. And so, you know, for example, his favorite wife, Mariamne, and he has her put to death along with her mother, as well as Mariamne's handsome brother that he was threatened by, and then the two sons that they had with them, and Herod's firstborn son as well. Antipater. So you know the baby boys that you see in the book of Matthew, in the Gospel of Matthew are just kind of a culmination of, unfortunately, a lifetime of killing. And so by the end, yeah, he was a killing machine for sure.
S1: Well, an important bit of family lineage here. Elaborate on why this was such a big deal.
S4: Well, you know, with Herod, I mean, in one sense it was Jewish and in another sense it wasn't. And so he was called a half Jew. So he was idumean, which is really in the Old Testament. They were the Edomites. And so they were the enemies of Israel, and they lived in an adjacent kingdom. But over time that kingdom had been captured by the Jewish state by the Hasmoneans, and so it had been forced to convert. So theoretically, now the Idumaeans were Jewish, but they weren't the inheritors of, you know, of Judea and of Jerusalem. And so he always felt that as trying to be the King of the Jews, he was behind the gun, so to speak. He didn't fit in. He was a half breed or something like that. And he wasn't true royalty, true nobility. And so it affected his confidence in that way, as well as his wife, his wife, Mary. And they despised him for not being truly royal.
S1: Doctor Brian Litvin has teamed up with Kathie Lee Gifford to write the book Herod and Mary. It's great to have you with us today on the land and the book. Well, let's swing the focus of this conversation toward the Christmas season that we're in now. Brian, only when we understand that Herod was named King of the Jews can we understand how Herod's world was utterly rocked by the question of the Magi who came to him asking, where is he who was born King of the Jews? Brian, do your best to climb inside Herod's head at that very moment. What's he really thinking but would never say out loud?
S4: Well, I mean, he's clearly paranoid. One of the things that maybe readers don't know as they encounter the story that Matthew puts forward because he doesn't mention it. But Herod at that time was at the very end of his life. He was sick. He was on his deathbed. And so, you know, Herod wasn't worried someone's going to supplant me right now, do an overthrow of my kingdom right at this moment, because he knew he was dying. What he was worried about at that point was, who is going to take over after me? You know who's going to be the follower? Am I going to leave a legacy? Am I creating a dynasty? Will my sons rule after me and show that my power continues? Or am I kind of a one and done and someone else is going to come in and be the new king of the Jews and someone who might claim to be born one, as opposed to a half breed. And so he was really paranoid about securing his legacy. And that helps to explain why he said, you know, wherever this pretender is, I'm not going to let some peasant boy in Nazareth come along or Bethlehem come along and become the replacement for me. And so he went and had his soldiers slaughter those babies.
S1: You write in the book the struggles within Herod's household, as well as God's redemptive work behind the scenes, have many parallels today. Give me an example, if you could, of a modern parallel.
S4: So often you see that outer household, or the outer people that are visible to the public eye look like a disaster. But behind the scenes, God hasn't abandoned the people that are involved. God is doing a work, and so he's up to something good. And I think you know that. I would answer that by just saying there's kind of a general pattern in which God is doing something, even when what looks to be terrible is happening on the outside, he still has his purposes underneath it.
S1: Well, let's swing our focus toward Mary for a moment. Most of us think we know Mary fairly well. Share a few life details that might have escaped some of us.
S4: You know, we have the biblical record. And so that is fairly clear. And I think most people know the story of how she was visited by the angel and how she's honored in that way and gives birth to Messiah. What we have in the book here is we try to use some other sources that we don't claim to be 100% accurate, but they are the earliest recollections that could be part of an oral tradition about who Mary was. For example, that as a young girl she lived at the Jewish temple and worked there and was perhaps a musician or something like that, that she might have had a a singing role. Because we do know that in the Jewish temple that there were virgins, young virgin girls who were part of musical ministries. And so maybe that was part of Mary's life. And if you think about one of the most prominent things that we find in the gospel, in Luke's gospel is that Mary sings a song. Where does that song come from? Well, maybe she's been trained as a young girl to burst into worshipful songs. And so that humility of Mary. And even in the book we explore her parents, Anna and Joachim. So how did her home life shape who she became? And we try to imagine that and see what could be true there. Those kind of things are, I think, one of the real values of this book, to give the backstory of Mary that most Christian readers don't know.
S1: If Mary were given the stage at a National Women's Christian conference today, what do you think she might say in her message to other women?
S4: I have to ask myself if she would even take that stage. You know, that's kind of not who she is, right? I mean, the purpose of understanding Mary is she's not visible. She's not out front. She probably would have been very timid. And that's kind of the point, is that, you know, like, Herod is the one who builds the glamorous temple that everybody sees, but who's the real temple of Messiah? This peasant girl whose womb is the home of the Shekinah glory, whose womb is the home of the presence of God. So she's very humble. She's very offstage, like so many Christians today, so many women out there that don't get the notice of the world. But what they do get is the notice of the Lord God who says, favored one, blessed one, graced one. So I don't know that she ever would be a speaker like that. But in the spirit of your question, I would say she would point everyone to the glory of God and the mercies that he has, even on the lowly of spirit.
S1: Was this a difficult book to write? Why or why not?
S4: Yes, it was a difficult book because you have to delve into someone like Herod, and you have to kind of watch his descent into evil because he doesn't start that way. He's this really young prince, and he's handsome and everyone loves him. And probably if you were around Herod, especially in his early life, you'd have said, this guy is cool. I love hanging around with him. And that is actually how the Roman emperors thought. This guy is so cool. I love hanging out. He's so easy to be around and kind of a winsome personality, but he descends into this darkness and that's part of what makes the book hard. But on the other hand, you know what? I got to admit, it was a great joy.
S1: The the book reads far more like a novel than a historical biography. Forgive the very trite expression. I really was hard pressed to put it down. But what is your highest hope for us as readers of this book? I mean, it's it's easy and simplistic to say, well, be nice like Mary, not mean like Herod.
S4: Well, my greatest hope is the same that Kathy has, and that is that readers would turn their eyes toward Yeshua, Yeshua Hamashiach, Jesus the Christ. And so she and I share that deep passion of pointing our readers to the one that Mary wanted to point to. And so if the reader comes away with a greater appreciation that Messiah, that Jesus the King is not a king after the pattern of someone like Herod who had to be out there, he had to be dominant. He had to be the man who left a legacy, and the man who conquered, and the man who was praised, and the man who was rich and had all those things that the world offers. And so our readers might look and think, well, I'm none of those things. I'm insignificant. I'm small. I'm in a small town. My home is not magnificent. I guess maybe God has passed me by or doesn't really use people like me and Kathy and I want our readers to say no. That's exactly who God uses. Look at how he took the most excluded person a female, a young female, a female who had shame on her. And he said, I am going to make that my actual temple for the presence of the Holy Spirit. Right. Because that's what happens. The Holy Spirit comes into the womb of Mary, and God Himself lives in that physical space. He's not living anymore in the physical space of the temple that Herod made. He's living in the physical space of the most excluded person of that society, wrongfully shamed but shamed, female young person. And so that's the message right there. The readers might think I'm invisible and God says, not to me. You're not. And just you wait until I take your fish and your loaves and multiply that into an amazing ministry and praise God for being just that sort of God.
S1: Doctor Brian Litvin, who along with Kathie Lee Gifford, has written Herod and Mary, if you would like to come to know these characters like you've never known them before, this is the book for you. Herod and Mary a link at our website. The land and the book. Org. Brian, thanks for the conversation.
S4: Great to be here. Thanks for having me.
S1: And up next, our friend Charlie is back. You know what it is. Questions and answers. Right here on the land. And the book. From Moody Radio. This is the land and the book. I'm John Geiger. Our host, Charlie Dyer, is here. And. Well, for many people, this is a fascinating segment, Charlie, because we all have puzzles, questions, things that just kind of cause us to wonder as we open the pages of Scripture. And this is the place where we're able to take our time, take a look at these questions and bring some answers that I think are very encouraging. So with that said, just a quick thought here. At the end of this year, as it approaches, many world events have left us wondering what God's plan is for the future. And this is especially true when it comes to Israel. Boy, talk about questions, Charlie. And despite its small size, people around the world are intensely focused on what takes place there. So the question is, are today's headlines connected in any way with prophecies in the Bible? How should followers of Jesus interpret current events as we await his second coming?
S2: Well, to help answer those important questions, our friends at Life and Messiah encourage you to check out their book, God, Israel, and Bible Prophecy with Scripture as its foundation. This book will take you on a journey into what God has in store for the Jewish people and the nations. This book is for anyone who wants to explore where modern day events fit on God's grand timeline. If that's you or someone you know, this would be a great resource or gift. Visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: All right. Question number one from Jean. Will the marriage supper of the lamb be in heaven during the seven years or on earth during the millennium? Yeah.
S2: This is a topic where good and godly people disagree. So what I tell people in those cases take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. I personally see the marriage supper of the lamb as a figure of speech pointing to the Millennial Kingdom. Now, here's why I say that. First, Jesus used the imagery of the bridegroom's arrival for the wedding banquet in Matthew 25, verses 1 to 13. And that's where he tells the parable of the wise and foolish virgins. But he's picturing his return to earth as king. He ends that parable by telling Israel to keep watch because you do not know the day or the hour. And second, the phrase wedding supper of the lamb only occurs in revelation 19, verses 7 to 9. Now, chronologically, those verses occur at the end of the seven year tribulation period, following the outpouring of the final bowls of judgment in chapter 16 and the destruction of Babylon in chapter 17 and 18. Just after the wedding, supper's announced Jesus returns from heaven to earth in chapter 19, verses 11 to 16. So it looks to me as if the wedding feast, announced in chapter 19, is intended as a picture of the blessing and joy that are about to follow in the Millennial Kingdom after his return.
S1: Sadie asks, does the prophecy about Japheth being expanded by God have to do with the historical fact that the descendants of Japheth, whether they be Seleucids, Ottomans, Romans, British, French and so on, have been effectively in control of world history.
S2: Well, I'm wondering if you might be confusing Japheth with Jabez. There's nothing in Genesis ten about the descendants of Japheth being expanded by God, only that they spread out into their territory in verse five that they were occupying by the time Moses wrote Genesis. Now, in contrast, Jabez, who was from the tribe of Judah, did pray and ask God to bless me and enlarge my territory. That's in first Chronicles four. Now, in terms of the second part of the question, while later history does connect Japheth's descendants with powers that dominated much of the world, that's not the complete picture of both Assyria and Babylon, which were early world powers came from Nimrod, who was from the line of Ham through Cush. He's mentioned in Genesis ten, verses 8 to 11, and Egypt. Mitzrayim was another early world power that was also from the line of ham.
S1: Sadie wants to know, does the curse of Ham have to do with the enslavement of blacks by Arabs, English, etc., as well as the fact that Ethiopians and cops going into the Monophysite heresy early on in the church?
S2: I do not see the curse of Ham referring to the enslavement of blacks in Genesis nine, verses 24 and 25. Noah didn't pronounce the curse on Ham, but on his youngest son, Canaan. The descendants of Ham and Genesis ten included Cush, which was to the south of Egypt. Mitzrayim, which is Egypt, put the area around Libya and North Africa to the west of Egypt and Canaan. But the text clearly says the curse was placed on the descendants of Canaan. We're not told why Canaan was cursed, since Ham was the one who had seen his father's nakedness. It's possible that something else took place that's not included in the text, but it is clear that the curse was just on Canaan and not on the other descendants of Ham. And the Monophysite heresy, at least early on, involved more than just the cops and Ethiopians. So I don't believe it developed along racial lines.
S1: It's the land and the book from Moody Radio. Charlie Dyer is answering your questions. I'm John Gager, firing at them as fast as I can because they come in very fast over email. And you can get yours to us at The Land and the At moody.edu ed wonders, do you agree with those who say that the two state solution would wipe Israel off the map?
S2: Well, I need to answer two ways. First, I don't agree with those who say a two state solution will wipe Israel off the map. Rather, I see what's happening. Aligning with what Zechariah said would take place in the final days. He said, I'm going to make Jerusalem a cup that sends all the surrounding peoples reeling. Judah will be besieged as well as Jerusalem on that day when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves. Second, I do believe a two state solution as envisioned by most of the world is simply unworkable and would result in greater instability in the region. Israel would again be under pressure, similar to what they experienced from 1948 to 1967, when they faced attacks by terrorists from these same areas. What we've seen happening in Gaza would end up taking place in the West Bank, as Israel would be forced to go on the offensive against the forces seeking to attack her. And once again, Zechariah 12 describes the results. He says, on that day, I'll make the leaders of Judah like a firepot in a woodpile, like a flaming torch among sheaves. They will consume right and left all the surrounding peoples, but Jerusalem will remain intact in her place if forced to do so. Israel will defend herself, and God will be with her.
S1: Mark asks, my wife and I have been grappling with Ecclesiastes seven, verse 18. It is good that you should grasp one and not hold on to the other. We've looked at this verse in the NIV and the ESV, but just don't get it. Can you help?
S2: Well, I think the key here is viewing verse 18 in light of the larger context. Solomon's been talking about wisdom versus foolishness and wickedness in verses four and five are good examples of the comparison he's making. But then Solomon reminds the reader that not everything in life turns out as we might expect. Wisdom like that displayed by job's friends, says that being righteous always brings God's blessing, while being wicked always brings judgment. And while that's generally true, we know in job's case it wasn't. And that's the point Solomon is making in verses 15 to 18. There are some who try to live a perfectly righteous life, which of course is humanly impossible, but they do so assuming God will have to bless them. Others see people who seem to get away with being evil, and then assume there aren't consequences to actions in spite of what God said. But living with a proper awe or respect of God helps us avoid those two extremes. Wisdom is realizing that life might present some apparent exceptions, at least for a time, but that consequences do eventually follow. So verses 18 and 19, then, are the conclusion. It's good to remember both realities, depending on our own righteousness, will not always guarantee success, and ignoring God's standards of right and wrong. To do whatever we want won't always bring immediate judgment. The wise person won't forget or let go of either reality, in spite of what might appear to be true for a time.
S1: Carl takes us to the book of Joel, chapter three, verses nine through 14 describe the battle of Armageddon. Verse ten describes the weapons as spears, not missiles. Isaiah 29 three also speaks of siege works. My question when do you think that the earth loses their access to weapons of modern warfare?
S2: The answer is I don't know. I believe it's possible to answer two ways, and I'm not sure we know which is correct. Now, the first possibility is to take those references literally to suggest everything from transportation to warfare will become much more primitive during the tribulation period. The devastation pictured in the book of revelation, from half the world's population being destroyed, to the almost unimaginable devastation of the land and the seas, to the total disruption of food supplies and even drinking water, could completely undo what we think of as our modern way of life. Imagine what it would be like if the power grid was taken down, along with the banking system, refineries, fuel distribution systems, and even basic services like trash collection and fire and police protection. A nuclear war or other world wide conflagration early in the tribulation could quickly push the world back to such primitive means, and then the words of these prophets would make perfect sense at that time. At the second possible answer, though, is to assume that the writers describe events using words and images that made sense to their audience in that day, but that might be understood in a slightly different way today. For example, in Ezekiel 38, he describes a future invasion against Israel by an army from the North, and he says all of them are riding on horses, a great horde, a mighty army. While in Ezekiel's day most armies were foot soldiers, a vast army all on horseback would have seemed as totally unstoppable. The description in modern times might be like an army that's totally mechanized and armored. Now, I need to say that my normal approach to interpretation is to take the first option. I believe it's entirely possible to see a rapid decline in how the world will function during the tribulation period. And that could involve going back to more primitive methods of warfare. But in either case, I believe those alive at the time will understand exactly what the biblical writers met with the words they wrote.
S1: And that's a look at some of the questions that you've shared with us. Thank you for doing that, by the way. It keeps the program going, keeps it very interesting. Our email address for your question. The land and the book@moody.edu. Well, Charlie Dyer's devotional is next. It's always something intriguing. I hope you'll stay with us on the land and the book. Has a bumper sticker says don't hassle me. I'm easily confused. Hi John Gager here at The Land and the book. Our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, has a devotional that has everything to do with confusion. Where are we going today?
S2: We're going to be heading to acts chapter 16 to talk about the man from Macedonia.
S1: I'm looking forward to that. But first, let's pause for a testimony from somebody who's been to Israel and wanted to share this with you and me.
S5: I'm Jack from Coral Gables. My Holy Land experience was multifaceted, but the one thing that strikes me again today is the proximity of Israel's enemies in this very small part of the world, that Syria is right on top of Israel. And so that underscores the great danger there, and the courage of the people of Israel to live there and to put up with that danger on an hourly basis.
S6: Hello, my name is Israel Garcia and my Holy Land experience, as there's many experiences that happen in Israel, and seeing the Bible come to life was definitely when I was at the in the boat trip to the Sea of Galilee and just sitting there and as the boat was playing actually Christian music and worshiping God. And just to think that Jesus walked over those waters and walked into the storm and seeing the calmness of it and just knowing that Jesus was there and did all these miracles and the experience of worship was just overwhelming, that tears just came out of my eyes and say, wow, this is the place where my Savior walked and he's walking with me now. So that was my Holy Land experience.
S1: All right, Charlie, I'm looking forward to your devotional today. Acts 16. The man from Macedonia. Take it away.
S2: Thank you. John. And I could use that bumper sticker you were talking about. I need to briefly start though, by sharing two stories and see if you can find the common thread linking them together. Story number one. About six months after receiving my driver's license, my best friend and I drove to southeastern Pennsylvania to visit his girlfriend. It was only 90 miles from home, but I'd never driven to the area before, and my dad gave strict instructions to be home before dark. We had a great visit, but we stayed too long. No problem though, because the girl's father wrote out directions for a shortcut to get us back to the main highway. It was a warm day and we had the windows rolled down in the car. Traffic was heavy, but it was moving along at a pretty good clip, and then a gust of wind sucked the directions from the dashboard and right out the passenger side window. We had no idea where we were and no idea where we should go. And this was back in the dark ages. No GPS, no cell phone. A story number two. Two years later, I was a freshman in college. Harry Balbach from Word of Life was flying to our school for meetings, and I was asked to drive to National Airport. Now Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in D.C. to pick him up. I had never been to National Airport, nor had I ever met Harry Balbach, but in my naive state, I wondered how hard this could be. I mean, after all, in our airport back home, we only had a very limited number of planes arrive each day. I would just watch for a plane to land and look for someone wearing a suit. Right. And then I walked into the first major airport I'd ever seen and experienced a wave of panic. There were scores of flights and gates and hundreds of people in suits. I didn't know the airline he was flying on, or the arrival time, or the gate number or what Harry Balbach even looked like I knew nothing. So what's the common element between the two stories? Well, apart from my own stupidity, it's that growing sense of uncertainty or unease bordering almost on panic when you suddenly realize you have no idea what you're doing or what you're supposed to be doing. Now, before I go on, let me quickly provide the happy ending to both stories. Somehow, my friend and I saw a sign telling us the way to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I didn't know where that went, and I knew what exit to take to get home. I made it home just as the sun was starting to set and Harry balbach well, I shot up a desperate prayer to heaven. Lord, help me find Harry Balbach. And as I turned around, there was a man standing and holding a handwritten sign that said I'm Harry Balbach. He had the presence of mind to anticipate the lack of experience of a typical college freshman. Now, what does all this have to do with our journey today into Asia minor? The western part of modern Turkey. We're here today traveling with a very perplexed Apostle Paul. He's on his second missionary journey, and things haven't been going as well as he had hoped. The trip hadn't even started before Paul and Barnabas got into a heated discussion over whether they ought to take a Long John Mark, who had abandoned them on their earlier journey. Acts 1539 records the result. They had such a sharp disagreement that they parted company. Paul chose Silas and headed into Asia minor, but their journey was as roundabout as the one my friend and I took on those back roads in Pennsylvania. Here's how Luke described their itinerary. Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus wouldn't allow them to. So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. Now most of those names are unfamiliar to the average person, and that's where a good Bible atlas can help. Leaving behind the cities Paul had visited on his first missionary journey, the intrepid travelers initially planned to head west into the province of Asia. This is where the major cities like Ephesus and Pergamum were located, but God prohibited them from heading in that direction. The two travelers and their entourage then pivoted to the north, passing through Phrygia and Galatia. They reached the border of Mysia and assumed the most logical destination would then be Bithynia, along the southern shore of the Black Sea. But once again God set up a spiritual do not enter sign to block their way. The one direction that now remained open was due west along the border between Mysia and Bithynia, but they soon found themselves running into a dead end When they reached the port city of Troas, about 15 miles from the ancient city of Troy. I wonder if Paul might have felt similar to how I felt when trying to find Harry Balbach. Now what Lord, were you trying to send us? And that night, God provided an answer even more dramatic than turning to see a man holding a sign with his name on it. During the night, Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, come over to Macedonia and help us. Now I suppose God could have told Paul his final destination at the very beginning. Likely it would have saved Paul both time and perhaps some confusion had he known to head straight to Macedonia. But God's directions aren't always that direct. So why did God use a roundabout way to get Paul to Macedonia? We're not told directly, but there are some details in the account that do offer a few clues. First, if Paul had known from the very beginning that Macedonia was to be his final destination, he might have traveled there directly by boat from Syrian Antioch. But had he done that, he wouldn't have encountered young Timothy in Lystra. And Timothy plays a large part in Paul's later ministry. And then there's a tiny detail with great significance. Once Paul finally arrived in Troas. Listen carefully to the change in pronouns in the account. Verse eight. So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. Paul, Silas, and Timothy went to Troas. Now verses 10 to 12, after Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them. From Troas we put out to sea, and sailed straight for Samothrace, and the next day on to Neapolis. From there we traveled to Philippi. The switch from third person to first person marks the entrance of Luke into Paul's life and ministry. We're not told the circumstances, but that slight change lets us know that Luke was a believer, that he lived in Troas, and that this is where he first joins Paul on his travels. God orchestrated this divine rendezvous between Paul and Luke. Finally, God arranged for Paul to arrive in Philippi at just the right time. A few days after his arrival, Paul and his entourage went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak with the women who had gathered there. One of those listening was a woman named Lydia. The city apparently didn't have a synagogue, but it did have some women who wanted to know and follow the God of the Bible. And one of those women was Lydia. She heard and believed, and she provided a place to stay for Paul, Silas, and Timothy and Luke. So who was the man from Macedonia who begged Paul to come? Some think it was Luke, but were never told that that's the case. It was a vision, so it might simply have been a supernatural dream given by God to Paul. We tend to focus on that vision, but I'm amazed at all the other details God brought together to connect Paul and Silas with Timothy, and then with Luke in Troas, just in time to direct them to Philippi, to encounter a very special woman who became the first convert to Christianity in Europe. So what's the lesson in all this for us? Perhaps this. Don't get frustrated when life seemingly becomes messy, cluttered, and even a bit disorganized. God could be working behind the scenes to direct you to just the right place, and just the right person at just the right time. Keep trusting God and keep moving forward.
S1: Well, that's practical and really love those stories. Glad you made your way back home and glad you finally did discover who Harry Baalbek was. Well, our time is gone, but you can hear the entire program again at our website. The land and the book.org for Charlie Dyer and Dan Anderson. I'm John Geiger, the land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.