S1: Hi friend, thanks so much for downloading this broadcast and it is my hope that you'll hear something that will challenge you, grow you up in him, and get you out into the marketplace of ideas. But before you start listening, let me take a moment and tell you what this month's truth tool is. It's the Mediterranean Sea Rules by Robert Morgan. I talked to him often on the air because he's such a superb writer, and in this particular book, he takes the story of Paul's shipwreck, recorded in the book of acts, and gives us ten principles of how we push through the storm, learning to trust in God and all that he has done for us. It's a magnificent book. It's a short book, and in typical Robert Morgan writing style, it is a powerful book. I strongly recommend that you have a copy of The Mediterranean Sea Rules, because trust me, every single one of us will find ourselves on stormy seas at some point in our voyage through life. As for your copy of The Mediterranean Sea Rules by calling 877 Janet 58. That's 877 Janet 58 or go online to in the market with Janet Parshall. Scroll to the bottom of the page. There's the book, click it on, Make Your Gift and we'll send you a copy. My way of saying thank you because we are listener supported radio. Your gifts keep this broadcast on the air. By the way, if you'd like to give regularly, you're called a partial partner. You give every single month a level of your own choosing. You always get the truth tool. But in addition, I'll send out a weekly newsletter that only my partial partners get. It contains my writing and a little audio piece as well. So pray about it and thanks in advance. Just call 877 Janet 58 or online at In the Market with Janet Parshall. Again the truth tool the Mediterranean Sea rules. Thanks so much. And now please enjoy the broadcast.
S2: Here are some of the news headlines we're watching.
S3: This time the conference was over. The president won a pledge.
S4: Americans worshiping government over God.
S5: Extremely rare safety move by a major 17 years.
S4: The Palestinians and Israelis negotiated.
S5: Today is not true. Hi friends.
S1: Welcome to In the Market with Janet Parshall. A very happy Tuesday. So glad we're going to spend the hour together. How about some good news. All right. We are quickly approaching Memorial Day weekend and the juxtaposition of this weekend can't be missed. You know, it really is celebratory when you think about it, because it's the unofficial opening of summer, right. And we tend to I mean, there's nothing in the calendar that way, but that's just the way we as a culture kind of experience it. At the end of summer, we tend to think is Labor Day, although give or take, whatever the school calendars are. But generally we think, great, here comes those lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer. And yet it sits in the middle of Memorial Day, which is really a very solemn occasion. It is about remembering the fallen in all American wars. And so while we're going to have picnics and family gatherings and those of you who can, and if the weather's right in your neck of the woods, you think, oh, we're going to open the pool now, it's that kind of year. Well, in the midst of that, we remember those who poured out, in the words of Lincoln, that last full measure of devotion. So if you know a vet, thank a vet. If you've got a section in the cemetery where there are veterans that are buried, note to see if in fact, American flags aren't planted there they are here all in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC, on the graves of veterans, particularly in Arlington. All of the white stones, row upon row upon row, will now have an American flag in remembrance of what they did. They paid the ultimate price for defending our country so we remember them. But for a lot of people, it means get in the car and go. And Americans are going to be celebrating Memorial Day by hitting the road, likely being paying the cheapest gas prices since 2003. Grabbing your wallet while I give you a good news story GasBuddy. They have a they have a platform for everything. This is a fuel savings platform. Said today that it forecasts the national average price of gasoline is going to be $3.08 per gallon on Memorial Day. I don't know about you, but I still have to grab smelling salts. Some of us remember when it was just $0.99? Yeah, that was when we had rotary phones, but I digress. That would make it. If you're looking at numbers here, the cheapest since 2021. In nominal terms. But if you adjust for inflation, that would be the lowest since 2003. Now the better news in this good news story is this is not expected to be short lived. We know historically the gas prices go up over the summer. Why? Well, because that's when people travel. So they raise the price and that's how they make their profits. Well, this is supposed to be a good season. So from Memorial Day to Labor Day, the average price per gallon is supposed to be around $3.02, which is really great, which means it's actually going to fall below $3 on some days. That's likely to bring cheer to about 69% of Americans who are planning on taking a road trip that summer. In fact, GasBuddy said in a news release, American road trip culture remains resilient. So last summer, the national average price of gasoline was $3.58 per gallon on Memorial Day, so that's significant. That's almost a half a dollar cheaper. This year's lower price reflects increased oil production that has lowered crude oil prices. A barrel of Brent Brent crude, the global standard for oil prices, is currently priced at $65.07. That's down significantly from $83.71 a year ago. So that's a good news story. Do you like that one? Good. Because I got another one for you. I was watching this one very carefully. There were a couple of Christian colleges that were going to be really challenged by the Department of Justice in the previous administration, basically, because, well, that administration didn't like their biblical worldview. And so as a result of that, there was a years long legal battle. Well, here's the good news story today. The US Department of Ed under this administration has dropped its historic $37.7 million fine against the largest Christian university in the country. Do you know what that is? I bet you do. But you might not know. You know, it's the one you see on TV. Grand Canyon University, it's based in Phoenix. Phoenix, Arizona. It was cleared by a joint. This'll all be in the test. So take notes by a joint stipulation of dismissal. Order of any wrongdoings. After the Biden administration claimed it, it misrepresented the cost of its doctoral programs, according to a press release that came out from the school. So the dismissal issued by the Department of Education note, quote, there are no findings against Grand Canyon University or any of its employees, officers, agents or contractors, and no fine is imposed. So you can bet that the university president welcomed the decision to rescind the fine. In fact, he said this the facts clearly support our contention that we were wrongly accused of misleading our doctoral students, and we appreciate the recognition of those accusations were without. And we recognize that those accusations were without merit. Grand Canyon University is a leader in innovation, transparency and the best practices in higher ed, and we look forward to working cooperatively with the department in the future, just as we have with all regulatory agencies. So good news for the nation's largest Christian university, where they get to say bye bye to a potential $37.7 million fine. Okay, here's not such a good news story, but today, today's a big news day. The World Health Organization adopted a landmark pandemic agreement designed to tackle its future health crises, predicated on an enhanced ability to watch, monitor and surveil specific national responses to threats. I've talked about this with Reggie Littlejohn over and over and over again. So the UN subsidiary is meeting at its headquarters by the shores of Lake Geneva in Switzerland, with thousands of members flying in for the nine days of talks, meaning conferences, dinners, closed door diplomacy. It has moved on the back of more than three years of negotiations sparked by the Chinese coronavirus pandemic as it seeks to chart a way forward after the U.S. withdrew funding from W.H.O. in the very first days of the current administration. Now, that's significant because the W.H.O. is boo hooing now that they're having financial problems. Yeah, that's because we, the United States, have been paying more than our fair share. And we, the United States, now don't like the policies of the World Health Organization. So why should we fund it? Why should we fund any global entity? From where I'm sitting in the peanut gallery, the U.S. traditionally is the top donor to the U.N. health agency, but was not part of the final stages of the agreement due to the U.S. exit leaving the W.H.O. to grapple with a 1.7 billion with a B dollar gap in the 20 2627 spending plans, as it seeks to trim 12 months of budget costs from 5.3 billion to 4.2 billion. So that's why now the W.H.O. is crying poor as it faces an existential crisis after U.S. funding cuts. Well, funding is going to be the least of the problems. I'm not the tiniest bit interested, and I hope you aren't either. And having an international, non-elected government entity observe what we're doing in response, not just observe, watch, monitor, surveil specific national responses to threats. That, of course, begs the question, and if the United States, as an example, doesn't respond the way the World Health Organization thinks we should to a pandemic, what will they do? That's why going back to Nimrod, the centralizing of power. Never a good idea. Back after this. When the storms of life hit with hurricane force, how do you respond? This month's truth tool is the Mediterranean Sea Rules, where Robert Morgan writes how God will redeem our tragedies for his purposes. Don't just survive the storms. Learn to serve God in the midst of them. As for your copy of the Mediterranean Sea Rules, when you give a gift of any amount in the market, call eight 7758. That's eight 7758 or go to in the market with Janet Parshall.
S6: When your days been unkind, you can't seem to find a quiet place to rest your weary mind. Take a look in God's world. Leave all your cares behind. Pour yourself into the page. Come face to face with his awesome power, mercy and grace. When you look in God's Word, he will heal your heart.
S5: Be on guard. On guard for.
S1: Yourselves and for all the flock among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which he purchased with his own blood. 87754836758775483675. Do you ever, I don't know, get upset when you read passages like even the righteous will be deceived. When I was a child growing up in the church that used to bother me so much, Lord, how can you be one of yours and be deceived? How does that happen? And then you read about people running toward myths and being taken captive through vain and hollow philosophy predicated on this world rather than on the Word of God. And oh wow. I'll tell you what I don't know about you, but it's time to suit up, for there's battle out there, and I want to be trained as a Christian soldier for spiritual battle. How about you? Eight. 7754. Eight three. Six. Seven. Five. That's our number. And Doctor Carl Payne is our guest. We love Doctor Payne. He is such a marvelous teacher teacher, and we appreciate so much his work as the teaching pastor at the Antioch Bible Church in Redmond, Washington. And he's been helping us get some muscle. Yeah, moving from flab to fit It spiritually and growing up. The admonition we hear from the Apostle Paul on a regular basis, growing up in him as we should. And today we're going to take up, I think, an important and oops, touchy subject. And that is doctrinal confusion. Yeah, I wish that wasn't a problem. But why do we want the stuff that tickles our ears? Why do we want the parts of Scripture that we like and we'll keep and we'll apply and we think are wonderful. But the parts that are convicting and problematic and troublesome and set down boundaries don't like those parts so much. So we run after stuff that really is nothing but doctrinal confusion. How does that happen? That's our topic on the table this hour and I think it's going to be great. Doctor Payne, what a delight. I hope you've got your podium and your stick and your chalk and your board, and you're ready to teach us this hour, sir.
S7: Oh, young lady, I will do my very best by God's grace. Good to hear your voice.
S1: You too. And so I know it's going to be great. And in your book number three of the Transferable Cross training series where we've been on this marathon with you. You say that there are three routes of doctrinal confusion. I love this teach us what these three routes are.
S7: All right. Janet, the, uh, I think I prefaced that, and it's been a while since I wrote that, but I think I prefaced it by essentially saying that you have warnings from both Paul and Peter to protect yourself. Guard yourself. Act 20 is the one that sticks in my mind so much. And, uh, you know, be on guard. Uh, I've told you with tears that in time people are going to come from within your own members who are going to, you know, say they're sheep, but they're really wolves. And, uh, you know, you think through so many of the different books. Galatians. Uh, they got back into Judaism. You know, you're you're saved by Jesus. Plus, keeping the law book of First John and the books of Colossians, Gnosticism, there's hidden, hidden information that you really have to know if you really want to be on God's A-Team. In other words, nothing new that we're told. The book of Ephesians in chapter four, where he talks about gifted people, are given for equipping the body for the building up. You know the body of Christ so that there's unity. And so there's maturity measured against Christ so that we're not picked off. We're not deceived by the trickery of men and learning to speak in love, etc. in other words, we live on a war field, Janet. There's there's landmines out there, and they don't all come from the outside. And so and I would suggest that the more serious the faith, probably the less often they come from the outside. Because for someone who's serious about their faith, uh, saying, let's bow down to a person wearing a red pointy horned hats and a long tail with a pitchfork, most would say, nah, that's probably not such a good idea. But if someone could come in saying, I have, I have a different view on spirituality that will allow you to be part of God's A-Team, his Green Beret team, while the rest of the riffraff just kind of slug it out. If I'm serious about wanting to walk with God, I might bite on something like that because I'm thinking, well, of course I want to be the best I can be. So what I wrote on the on the doctrinal confusion, I put number one a new tolerance. I believe that the church has made a huge mistake by allowing primarily non-Christians outside the church to redefine what we're supposed to believe inside the church. And as the church has been willing to accommodate non-Christians views. And essentially what I would say to just say it quickly is that we have allowed tolerance to replace truth. We have allowed the desire to make sure that we do not hurt someone's feelings to replace. Are we telling the truth? Are we saying this is what culture expects me to do? Or this is what Jesus has told me to do. So the degree that we allow non-Christians outside the church to determine what we're supposed to teach inside the church, we ought not to be surprised when we say, how come we look like we're at odds around every corner? I mean, we're always the ones having to justify why we believe what we believe or we're racist, bigot, horrible people.
S1: Exactly.
S7: Who says who says that? I have to allow the non-Christians outside to to tell me what is true and what isn't. So I had said, first, there's a new tolerance and a definition that we have bought into, which I don't buy into.
S1: I couldn't agree more. Can I pause you there because there's such a huge issue? Let me tell you. And I could be dead wrong. And I'd love your take on this. And we've talked about this earlier, actually. I'm wondering if the susceptibility here to the new tolerance, this idea that outsiders can define that which we then make part of our teachings on the inside, there's the doctrinal confusion. I'm wondering if it's because. Let me put the question out. The music's playing and I'll get your answer when we return. But I'm wondering if it's because we we we don't like being marginalized. We don't like to have names leveled against us. We don't like to be deemed unloving. And that there is this murky blending, the synchronism between being kind and compassionate with being tolerant as though they were one in the same. Can you unpack that when we come back? Because the mandate is truth and love. So how do we do this and get over that hurdle of, well, we're not being tolerant if we do that. I want to get your take after this.
S8: The Word of God is sharper than a sword. It pierces through the soul, lays us bare before the Lord. It calls us to the cross and points us to his will. It searches us and knows us and takes us deeper still.
S1: Yea, thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path and its truth. And it sets the captive free and its inherent, transcendent, immutable, absolute. But it doesn't mean there isn't some doctrinal confusion out there. And how does that happen? That's our topic on the table this hour with Doctor Karl Payne, pastor of Leadership development and discipleship training at Antioch Bible Church in Redmond, Washington. So we started out our conversation with Carol talking about the three roots of doctrinal confusion. And the first one is new tolerance, defined by non-Christians outside the church accommodated inside. Which raises a question. I'm into causal factors, so I want to know why. So if the mandate and it is from Scripture is you deliver the truth in love, his law means nothing without his love. His love is meaningless without the law. The two are inexorably connected. Along comes post-truth. That's where we're living today. And tolerance is this transcendent 11th commandment. And now, somehow, if you're not tolerant, you're unkind. If you're unkind, you're un-christlike. So therefore, I've hit the tripwire of not being loving. And it's a cyclical dissension, I think. So how do we unpack that, Carl? That that tolerance doesn't necessarily equal love. I think there's some murky thinking here.
S7: Oh, you've you've said it and you've said it. Well, I'll tell you what went through my mind while you were sharing that, Janet. I had a teacher many decades ago that Grant Howard was his name. I think he's gone to be with Jesus now. But he used to talk to us all the time about young men. You know, you're going to face lots of challenges in the ministry when you go, but one of the key ones is going to be at least a couple of things. You want collegial support, collegial affirmation. And if you have colleagues who are more concerned about men's approval than they are God's approval for you to walk with men in locking arms, you know, hoping to keep the collegial approval, you may find yourself at odds with God Almighty. And that's not a position you want to be in. He used to say that you do not make a dichotomy of truth or relationship. He used to tell us you want truth in relationship. If you stand in truth, you can and will develop relationships that will produce fruit for Christ. But if you end up allowing the desire to chase relationships, to subjugate truth, you're going to end up with things that are warm and fuzzy, but you just can't support them from Scripture. And I think the, you know, kind of the classic cliché, if you would, is, well, I know these churches where they stand on truth and they can dot every I and cross every T and they have their catechisms, but they're just cold. And so I want something that is, you know, where people are warm and fuzzy, and then you walk into the other and say, you know, you walk into a church that's so warm and fuzzy, you go, you can believe anything in this place. And people will wrap their arms around you and say, well, that's right, praise God. And again, I just take it back to that teacher when he would say, do not create a situation where it's truth or relationships, but it's truth and relationships. Good relationships are supposed to be founded on truth. If I lie to my wife when she's, you know, before I marry her, and then I marry her, and then she finds out I lied to her, she's not going to trust me. Why should she? I mean, hopefully, if she's a good forgiver, she'll say, okay, uh, you know, we've all been in a situation where we wish we had some do overs, but I guess where I would take it back and I'm taking too long to get there. Janet is, I think that I live in a culture now that that far from the 16th century, which usually gets quoted about, you know, all the all the standing on truth and yada yada yada and no heart, just just head. I think I live in an 180 degree antithesis today, where as long as you feel good about something, then you know God wants you to be happy and God wants you to be healthy, wealthy, and wise. And so whatever moves you towards that, uh, situation must be of God. And if it if it if it creates cognitive dissonance, in a word, they love, you know, kind of brain freeze, then it must not be from God. And I'm saying I'm sorry, but I am nowhere told that I am setting culture as my standard to determine truth. It's always been Christ as the standard, the Word of God, that he was inspired by God. So no, I don't want to be a bonehead. No, I don't want to purposely be offensive to people. But on the other hand, when people inside the church tell me, well, listen, Carl, if you don't give on this and roll on this and agree with this, they're not going to come to your church because they're going to think you're unloving. I'm going to say at some point, I have become so tolerant that I don't have a message that's any different from the culture I'm living in. At what point do we at what point do we say, since Jesus is such a good forgiver, don't worry about what he said. He'll forgive you anyway. But you know, your friends in culture, they're not quite so forgiving. So you, you know, really bend. I go, I get it. But at some point or other, I go, how do you build a church on people that are Jell-O? How do you do it?
S1: And if you want to replicate the nature of our Savior and of our Heavenly Father, God does not tolerate sin. He gave us the Ten Commandments and then said, you know, if you feel like obeying these, he said, here's the law. If you step outside of it, it's sin. He so could not tolerate the concept of sin that he sent his Son to the cross. So I don't know if it's just in its application where we've taken the word tolerance to mean acceptance. I like what G.K. Chesterton said. He said tolerance is the attitude of those who do not believe in anything. It goes right to the heart of what you just said, Carl, which is this idea of truth. You are most loving when you tell someone the truth and most truthful when you deliver it in a loving fashion. Doctor Carl Payne is with us. You have questions on doctrinal confusion. That is our topic this hour. 877548367518775483675. Working our way through the Transferable Cross Training Series. You can learn more at our website in the market with Janet Parshall. If what you hear on in the market with Janet Parshall encourages you, enlightens you, engages you, and equips you, I want to ask you to become a partial partner Today. This program depends on the faithful and ongoing support of listeners just like you. By supporting this program on a regular, ongoing monthly basis, you'll receive several benefits that only my partners receive. So please call today eight 7758 or go online to in the market with Janet Parshall.
S9: His truth is marching. On. Glory. Hallelujah! His truth is marching. On.
S1: We're visiting with Doctor Carl Payne. He is the pastor of leadership development and Discipleship at Antioch Bible Church of Redmond, Washington. And he's written three books that really help us get some of that spiritual muscle necessary for spiritual battle. And we're in the third book now called leadership and Taking up the topic of Doctrinal Confusion. I think there's a little out there. Sit in front of your cable TV. Oh, a few days before Easter. See if there's any doctrinal confusion out there. I rest my case. So we were talking about the new tolerance as one of the root causes of doctrinal confusion. The second is the new gospel. Carl, how do you define it?
S7: Um, again, I'm going to go back a little bit to some of the texts, you know, of Galatians. If I'm looking for an example, you know, where Paul says it's a new gospel, but it's really not a new gospel. It's people inside the church, uh, at times redefining. Sometimes it was people outside the church, second Corinthians 11, doing the same thing. It can happen either way, but broader stroke for me. New gospel, I said, is typically defined by non-Christians inside the church, but accommodated inside the church. So again, I'm looking at something where, uh, and I'm not saying any of these to be facetious or mean, but, uh, you know, the shack, the shack basically is talking about universalism. I mean, if God's really a loving God there, you know, as long as you love God and and mean, well, he'll take you, uh, you know, go, go, whatever method you want to go. You know, as long as, you know, ultimately, nobody can be all that bad. Uh, you know, you end up with, you know, Jehovah Witnesses because of Russell getting Ahold of the writings of fourth century church Father Arias and having a problem with the hell question. It's like we develop a whole different, uh, you know, set of doctrinal truths that people follow that, well, hey, they're nice people and they're real active, you know, Mormons with a salvation that's a five step, you know, receive Jesus, receive repentance, receive the Holy Spirit, keep the ordinances of the church, and get baptized in the church. there's a new way to salvation, etc. in other words, it's often people that they can be religious, but they're outside the church. But instead of the church standing up and saying, no, you know Titus one nine, we're told that we're supposed to accurately handle the word, you know, understand doctrinal truths so that we can refute those who contradict or. Jude chapter three, verse three contend for the faith that was one time for all delivered to the saints. Or a First Peter, chapter 315 Sanctify Christ. In other words, he's supposed to be first. Always be ready to have a reasonable answer for a reasonable question with an attitude that is gentle meant power under control, not weak. And I'm suggesting that I think that with a new gospel, whether it's, you know, there's plenty of ways not Jesus only. Gosh, that sounds awfully narrow. You don't want to say something like that. Well, Carl, you say the Bible is the book that God inspired. But what about the Upanishads? What about the Bhagavad Gita? What about the Book of Mormon? Uh, you know, what about the Quran? ET cetera, et cetera. And I'm supposed to roll over because, again, I'm so worried going. Oh, well, I wouldn't want to look like I'm singularly committed to Christ. Like I'm kind of bigoted and people will turn me off. So I'm saying that when people outside promoting other gospel and when the church is willing to allow them to do that and start accommodating that, well, you know, uh, I remember when I had a muslim friend, uh, who had converted to Christianity, but he said to me one day he said, you know, the Christians that are running around saying, God's name is Allah, God's name is Yahweh. It really doesn't matter. It's just divine nicknames for the same God. He said, you'll never get a muslim say that. Never. He said. It's only Christians that are willing, out of an attempt to want to look like they're accommodating and being kind. They'll say things, but the Bible doesn't support that. And the Muslims will say, at least have enough courage to say, no, we don't believe that. So then we ostracize the Christians that aren't wanting to roll over and say, I'm sorry, you can't say that. Oh boy, aren't you being hard hearted and unkind? I'm going. What is unkind about telling the truth? So I go back to where we started. That whole thing about the tolerance, the new tolerance creates a new gospel. Because I am so wanting the approval of people that I will change what God has inspired. Where do I have the right to do that?
S1: I'm so glad you brought that up, Carl, because I do see this linkage between point number one and point number two. Point number one, again, the new tolerance point number two, the new gospel. So you talk about some of those insidious ideas that are working their way in the church. One of them, for example, is universalism. A good God would not send anybody to hell. So therefore in the end, we all end up in heaven with him anyway. Well, that's because you want to tell somebody that without accepting what Jesus has done for you, paying the atonement for your sins, if you reject what he's done for you, you will be eternally separated from him. That is the definition of hell. If you say that that's not a warm fuzzy, therefore you're not being tolerant. So there is a linkage between the two. It seems to me that, and I'm wondering if the root cause of both of those is self. My desire to be accepted and to be affirmed and valued supersedes whether or not I tell somebody the difference between heaven and hell, that's pretty dangerous.
S7: I agree. I might make it. Yes, yes. What you said is right. Well, you just you flow, sis, when you talk. That's why I love being with you on your program. I've said you're a warrior, and I believe that. I see I am so much wanting to promote a gospel that says God is so concerned about your happiness that he's not going to allow anything to interfere with that. And whatever makes you happy, whatever floats your boat. And I'm saying you can make that popular and you can pull people in, but they're the same churches that about every two years have people feeding into other churches, because at some point they either say this Christianity stuff doesn't work, or they say, gosh, I've tapped out everything this church has got to teach and I'd like more, but it's It just becomes a feeder to you. Go. Why? Because the Bible nowhere says that God is Santa Claus, and that he is obliged to do anything for me other than not violate his character. And so when I make this whole Christian thing about, you know, how can I make sure, you know, choose Jesus and everything crooked will become straight? I have made something, a lie that I know is a lie from the get go. I mean, James says trials are coming. It's not if. It's when Peter says suffering is coming, it's not. If it's when Paul said that the Philippians suffering is coming, it's not if, it's when. So when I tell people it's all about Santa Claus in the sky, I'm setting them up. And at what point do they say, Carl, why did you lie to me? And if someone goes the other side and says, oh, then you just got to paint this horrible, horrible picture? I'm not saying that. I'm just saying when the book speaks clearly, we've got a responsibility to share what the book says. And if the book is ambiguous on something, then I can say that too. I have an opinion here, but it's not clear. But it can't be controlled by my love for this culture. And what do I have to do to make sure they call me friend? Because this culture and my God are in opposition to one another. That's the whole point of first John 215 to 17. If you say you love God and you love this world, the love of the father isn't in you. Why the lust of the eye, the lust of the flesh, the boastful pride of life. These are not from the father. And then 17 the things of this world are fading away. The things of a God abide forever. So why am I trying to teach people? Listen, you're unloving unless you teach them how to blend. I said before, in one of your shows, we've made an art form for Christians blending in, and then we wonder why people don't take us serious. I go because we're the ones looking like jello. I don't want to be jello. I don't want to be hard. I don't want to be mean, but I don't want to have a person wondering, well, sometimes his yes means yes. Sometimes it means no. It just depends on when you talk to him. Sometimes he says, follow the Bible. Sometimes he doesn't say follow the Bible. They are, they are. I have given them a right to say, who are you? What do you believe? I don't I don't understand who you are. You've confused me. And how much of it comes again from that new tolerance? We allow the outside to define it. And then the new gospel. We want to look like we're so hip and with it, you know, kind of thing that we shade stuff, and then we end up, you know, going, what? What are we teaching? Well, either we teach what the book says and don't apologize for it, or we teach what people want us to hear. And Paul told Timothy, there's a time coming in chapter four that people are going to want their ears tickled. And we go, how come we seem so anemic? How come we seem so anemic? I said, because I think we're ashamed of our message.
S1: Wow, wow, gene, let me bring you into this. You join us from Ohio. Your question for Doctor Payne, please.
S10: Yes. I was wondering if it was Jesus or John the Baptist to use the term brood of snakes, and wasn't it? Was it James and John who were referred to as the Sons of Thunder? And didn't Jesus turn over the tables? And is that speaking truth with a motive of love? I'll hang up and listen. Thank you.
S7: You know, your first first is is the Baptist when he's wondering, saying to the Pharisees, you know who who told you, you know, to come here? Matthew 23 Jesus isn't outdone by the Baptist. You know when he says, you know, you're whitewashed tombs, you're blind guides leading the blind. So there was plenty of that coming from Jesus and, uh, you know, and the Baptist. But again, if I'm looking today, I would say, Jesus, you just don't quite get it right. When you turned over the tables, you know, offensive. That's going to be to the people in the market. And we're wanting to win them to Christ. So what's he supposed to do? He allows them to continue to use his house as a den of emporium of robbers, as he says, no, at some point you have to go. Yes, I would like to have you like me instead of like, not like me. But on the other hand, when you ask me to compromise truth. When you ask me to sell out Jesus and what he told me to do for what my neighbor tells me to do, or my professor tells me to do, at some point, I think I'm not comfortable with that. And if you want to label me as unloving and such for that, you can do it. I would say, how about I'm wanting to be a disciple of Christ, not a disciple of culture.
S1: Wow. Excellent conversation, as always, with Doctor Carl Payne, pastor of leadership development and discipleship training at Antioch Bible Church of Redmond, Washington. We're going to take a break and come right back. More with Doctor Payne right after this.
S9: Oh. My God.
S11: Cause you came to take us back to the start. You came to touch the hardness of our hearts. You gave us truth. The truth is who you are. Who you are.
S1: We're visiting with Doctor Carl Payne, pastor of leadership development and discipleship training at Antioch Bible Church in Redmond, Washington. Barbara in Hawaii. Let me welcome you into the conversation and your question for Doctor Payne, please.
S12: My question is, what does he consider the best response when we're trying to show people what the Bible says in a loving way? Uh, but they say, no, I'm sorry, that's just a bunch of men that wrote the book. I know all the words to say, but sometimes my mind just goes blank.
S7: Oh, Barbara, that's a that's a whole program in itself, you know, depending on where they're coming from. I mean, if they're telling me they're coming from a, a naturalist and atheist position, I'm, I'm probably going to launch into some apologetic considerations on origins. And, uh, is it, uh, is it more reasonable to believe that, uh, nothing is the ultimate resource of everything, or that something is the ultimate resource of everything? If it's about the Bible and how the Bible was put together over, you know, how many years by exploiters and stuff. I want to be able to have some information about, uh, how how was the Bible put together? Uh, you know, when were the books of the Bible, uh, you know, put together? When was the canon settled? Those aren't up for grabs, not for someone that wants to deal with real factual material, but there's people that make it for grabs. What is this inspiration thing about Jesus? The only way? It really depends on what are they asking. And then praying to God that I have got quivers in my arrows in my quiver that say I want to be able to give reasonable answers to reasonable questions, uh, each time I get hit with one, I don't know. Then I do some homework. So next time that question is not scary, just say, that's a great question. What I don't want to do is be so obnoxious in the way I respond to it that even if I'm right in what I say, I, you know, I've beat him up with so much Bible that they're scared to death of me. I go, that's that's not real helpful either. Not knowing Bible is not helpful. Beating somebody up with Bible is not helpful. I would just like to try and speak in a reasonable way and then realize something to Barbara when when Peter says essentially, and I'm paraphrasing, but reasonable answers to reasonable questions when I realize I'm dealing with somebody that isn't asking reasonable questions. They're an ideologue. They really don't care what you say. They're right and you're wrong. I don't waste a lot of time with that individual. In other words, if it's going to be a dialogue, that's fine. If it's going to be a monologue of them teaching me what is true and letting me know how uninformed I am, and anytime I want to, you know, respond to a particular. It's like, well, that's your opinion, bud. And they launch back in. I'm not going to sit in a monologue very long.
S1: Mm mm. Great answer. Barbara, thank you for the question. I hope that helps and encourages you as well. Carl, if I can, I would be remiss if I didn't get to the third point. You call it new teaching. Tell me about that one.
S7: Well, what again? What I'm talking about there is where and I just see the progression, you know, after people outside the church define what is, you know, true now because the tolerance of place is truth and we accommodate it. And the new gospel, you know, the people outside and again, we, we accommodate probably for honorable we would think we're wanting to get along and be considered kind. I'll say we end up step three with Christians, people inside who are now teaching, you know, something brand new and promoting it and propagating it inside. In other words, instead of the church being the one that is influencing culture, isn't it first. Ah ah ah oh, what is it? It's it's first Timothy 215. I think that says the church is a pillar of truth. Instead of us being a pillar of truth that is solid and sound, we end up blowing in the wind like, you know, a flag flipping back and forth and and at some point I end up with a situation where we are teaching things that are simply not true. And again, at least we can't support it biblically. Janet. But what we'll say is, well, you know, culturally that's just kind of out of step. You know, Paul was a homophobe. Paul hated women. Paul was xenophobic. Uh, you know Peter, what's he know? He was a fisherman anyway. In other words, at some point, instead of trying to say, let's deal with this Scripture upon Scripture, line upon line, since we can't support our perspective that way because we have so allowed ourselves to be bullied. And that's what I think it is. And caving to what culture wants us to say that at that point, we just come up with new teaching that supports what we say. And yet the truth of the matter is it's not supportable in the text. And I'm saying by allowing the outside to define terms, we ultimately set ourselves up for a gospel that I think Paul would say, that's not what I taught you. Remember six and eight in chapter one? I don't care if an angel or apostle shows up preaching you a gospel contrary to what we taught you, let them be accursed. In second Corinthians 11 we referenced that when we first came in verse one, put up with me, I'm your spiritual dad. Verse two, I led you to Christ. You know, I presented you as a pure virgin. You were walking in purity of your faith. Verse three I'm concerned for you at least. Just as the serpent deceived Eve through her mind, you're being deceived. Verse four. Why? You're talking about a different Jesus. You're involved with spirits other than the one you'd already been involved with, and you're now promoting a different gospel. And then the idiomatic and you're passive about it. You don't even fight what's going on. And then they respond by saying, well, they told us they were teachers of truth. And he responds in 13 to 15 of that chapter, well, Satan parades himself as an angel of light. Don't you understand? His emissaries are going to do the same thing. So, in other words, by hoping to accommodate and be polite and say, well, let's consider that and listen. At some point we end up allowing someone else to define not only what's true, but what we teach inside our own church. When I have people, when I go to conferences say here, these are subjects that you can't touch, or someone tells me an apologetics conference, I've got another one coming up fairly soon, you know, don't touch this topic, don't touch this topic. Don't touch. Why? Well, because it might offend people. So we're supposed to allow culture to redefine truth and then wonder why they see us as jello.
S1: Wow. Wow. Can you imagine if Paul had said that about what was happening in Corinth or in Athens, or just it's amazing to me how so often, I guess I'm going to go back to the statement I said before. And I say this standing in front of my own spiritual mirror is my desire to be accepted so important to me to be valued by this culture, this world, that I'm willing to trample truth underfoot for the transcendent idea of being accepted, if in fact, there's transcendence there at all. Wow, that was fabulous. Three Root Causes of Doctrinal confusion. Let me recap. New tolerance, new gospel, new teaching. Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee? So important hide it away. It will illuminate your path. Always has, always will. Learn more about the Transferable Cross Training series by going to. In the market with Janet Parshall Levy. To answer the question of the week and check out this month's truth tool. See you next time, friends.