S1: Hi friend, thank you so much for downloading this podcast and I truly hope you hear something that edifies encourage, equips, enlightens, and then gets you out there in the marketplace of ideas. But before you go, I want to tell you about this month's truth tool. It's called Have You Ever Wondered? And I absolutely love this topic because if you're like me, going out into the night sky and looking up and seeing a million stars, don't you just stop and think about God? And are you not in a moment of awe and wonder or looking out over the vast expanse of an ocean and you start thinking, what is man, that thou art mindful of him? And it makes you wonder about the magnificence of God? I think that sense of wonder was put there on purpose, and this wonderful book includes a composite of multiple authors who have written from their perspective as a scientist, or a historian, or a mathematician or an artist, on why they all have this sense of awe through the work that they do. In other words, the heavens declare the glory. And as it tells us in Romans, we are really without excuse because his handiwork is everywhere. And this book invites you to walk through the chapters written by people who all have a sense of awe and wonder when it comes to God through their various disciplines in life. It's an amazing book and it's yours. For a gift of any amount, just call 877 Janet 58. That's 877 Janet 58. Ask for a copy of Have You Ever Wondered? And we'll send it right off to you as my way of saying thank you, because we are listener supported radio. Or you can go online to in the market with Janet Parshall. When you're also on the website, consider becoming a partial partner. Those are people who give every single month at a level of their own choosing. You always get the truth tool, but in addition to that, you get a weekly newsletter that includes my writing and an audio piece just for my partial partners. So 877 Janet 58 or the website in the market with Janet Parshall. Consider becoming a partial partner or asking for this month's truth tool. Have you ever wondered? And now please enjoy the broadcast.
S2: Here are some of the news headlines we're watching.
S3: The conference was over. The president won a pledge.
S4: The Americans worshiping government over God.
S5: Extremely rare safety move by a major 17 years.
S4: The Palestinians and Israelis negotiated.
S5: This is not true.
S1: Hi friends. Welcome to In the Market with Janet Parshall. A very happy Tuesday to you. Get your passports ready because we're going to wing our way Down Under and catch up with our favorite Scottish apologist who has a thing or two to say about a thing or two. But first, we've got to give you some news. If you were watching last night and I certainly was midnight East Coast time, the cease fire between Israel and Iran was supposed to have taken place 27 minutes after midnight. Tehran shoots rockets at Israel again into an area where citizens lived. Not a hospital, not a military base where people lived, and there were people who were killed as a result. Israel then responds. The president then gets a little hot under the collar as he leaves to go to NATO, and is angry at both because both he decide broke the cease fire. I understand that technically that's true, but apparently Donald Trump is about to learn something about the Israelis and their government. They don't ask permission to defend themselves. That is a nation built with a shovel in one hand and a rifle in the other. And when individuals are attacked by Iran, especially when Iran agreed to the cease fire and the president put it out on truth Social, in fact, he said, congratulations to everyone. It's been fully agreed by and between Israel and Iran that there will be a complete and total cease fire. I held my breath because I thought, yeah, this is kind of like the deal that Hamas does on a regular basis. They always say the same thing, and then the next thing you know, they're firing more missiles. So I'm not the least bit surprised. So what is going to happen in the days ahead? Will there be a cease fire? If there is, will it hold? Well, for more news on this, I turn to CBN news where my friend Chris Mitchell reports.
S6: Israel and Iran agreed to President Trump's cease fire announcement, but within hours, Iran fired two missiles toward northern Israel. Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz ordered the IDF to strike Tehran. President Trump urged Israel to call off the response and said he's unhappy with both sides.
S7: So I'm not happy with them. I'm not happy with Iran either, but I'm really unhappy if Israel is going out this morning because of one rocket that didn't land that was shot, perhaps by mistake that didn't land. I'm not happy about that.
S6: Just before the cease fire began, a deadly Iranian missile slammed into the southern Israeli town of Beersheba. CBN Middle East correspondent Julie Stahl visited the scene.
S8: The seven story building behind me got a direct hit from Iranian missile, just about the time the cease fire was supposed to take effect. One bystander commented that this is what an Iranian ceasefire looks like. Killing Jews to the last minute.
S6: President Trump posted the cease fire announcement on Monday night. Congratulations to everyone. It has been fully agreed by and between Israel and Iran that there will be a complete and total cease fire. He followed that with another post that said, Israel and Iran came to me almost simultaneously and said, peace. I knew the time was now. The world and the Middle East are the real winners. This just hours after Iran launched a barrage of missiles at a U.S. military base in Qatar. 13 of the 14 missiles were intercepted and the attack did little damage. Iran notified Qatar of the attack beforehand, giving the U.S. time to prepare. After Trump's announcement, the Israeli government released a statement and said it achieved the main goals of its military operations against Iran. Israel has removed a dual immediate existential threat both in the nuclear field and in the field of ballistic missiles. In addition, the IDF achieved complete air control over the skies of Tehran. Inflicted severe damage on the military leadership and destroyed dozens of central Iranian government targets in the past two days. The IDF also hit Evin Prison, the headquarters of the Bee-gees, and the Israel destruction Clock inside Tehran.
S9: These are not sites that have strategic significance, but they have immense political significance. They are the pillars, if you will, of this horrendous regime. And by bombing them, Israel has weakened that regime. And so, ultimately, the greatest guarantee we have for a non-nuclear, non-dangerous, non-threatening Iran is by the removal of the regime.
S6: Also on Monday, Reza Pahlavi, the son of the late Shah of Iran, presented himself as a figure who can unify the country if the Iranian government Collapses, he said. The regime is on its last legs.
S10: The Islamic Republic is collapsing. Credible reports indicate that Ali Khamenei's family and the family of senior regime officials are making preparations to flee Iran.
S6: It remains to be seen if this cease fire will provide a lifeline to the ayatollah, or if the 12 day war has so weakened the regime that the people of Iran could rise up to overthrow the government. In an ominous statement, the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization said it plans to restart their nuclear program. Chris Mitchell CBN news, Jerusalem.
S1: So you and me praying for the situation far from over. Now again, one of the concerns is Iran retaliates by sleeper cells that have worked their way into the United States. The previous administration we had porous borders, millions of people poured in. And CBS news now reports that 11 Iranians have been arrested in the last 48 hours by Ice. Have a listen.
S5: The Department of Homeland Security says Yousef Merendino had been living in the United States illegally for nearly eight years, since U.S. officials determined he lied on a visa application. On Sunday, just four months after the Iranian foreign national was added to the U. S known or suspected terrorist list, he was arrested in central Mississippi. He's now in Ice custody pending removal proceedings. And he's not alone. Over the past 48 hours, Ice officials have arrested 11 Iranian nationals spanning eight states nationwide. Among them, five possessed previous criminal convictions, their crimes ranging from grand larceny to drug and firearm possession. Also among those apprehended, Ribar Karimi while arresting him in northern Alabama. Ice officials say they found his Islamic Republic of Iran Army identification card and allege he served as an Iranian sniper between 2018 and 2021.
S1: So more reasons for us to keep praying. Absolutely. Now we're going to trust in the Lord. He's still on the throne. He hasn't been unseated despite what's going on in the Middle East. But it's an opportunity yet again for you and me to be praying for those in authority, particularly now as the world leaders are meeting at NATO, all of them talking about world economic situations. But obviously Zelenskyy is there and there are other representatives from other countries. So, you know, they're going to be talking about wars, rumors and wars, coalitions, alliances, the list goes on and on and on. I don't know about you, but if there were ever a meeting when wisdom needs to take a seat at the table, it would be that meeting. Also, pray for those in authority in Iran and in Israel, but particularly pray for the people of Iran and Israel. They all want liberty and freedom, and particularly the people of Iran, who would love for there to be a regime change. But they're hungry for something more than what they've had for the last 46 years. Pray for them back after this. The questions that matter most often come while watching a sunset, or listening to music, or looking into the night sky. That's why I've chosen. Have you ever wondered, as this month's truth tool? God draws us to himself through a sense of awe and wonder, and this book will help you discover how. As for your copy of. Have you ever wondered when you'd give a gift of any amount in the market? Call eight 7758, that's eight 7758 or go to in the market with Janet Parshall.
S11: Britain's parliament voted on Tuesday to decriminalise abortion in England and Wales.
S12: The eyes are right.
S11: 379 lawmakers voted 379 to 137 to end prosecutions of women for ending pregnancies. Abortions have been legal in England and Wales for nearly 60 years, but only up until 24 weeks, and with two doctors approvals. Women choosing to end a pregnancy after that could face criminal charges and up to life in prison, while criminal charges for breaking the law are rare. They've risen since the pandemic, when a change in the law allowed abortion pills to be taken at home within ten weeks of conception. Tonia Antoniazzi, a Labour member of Parliament who proposed the amendment, said the law had been used to investigate 100 women in the last five years. That included some women who had given birth prematurely or had been forced into abortions by abusive partners. The proposal to decriminalise abortion could still change or be rejected, as it's part of a bigger bill going through Parliament. If passed, it would bring the abortion laws in England and Wales in line with other Western countries, including France, Canada and Australia. Some politicians warned the amendment was rushed and could have unintended effects. Rebecca Paul, a conservative member of Parliament, said it could see, quote, fully developed babies be aborted by a woman with no consequences, while women under the proposed law would not face prosecution. Medical professionals who assist them in getting abortions after 24 weeks would still be liable. In May, a British woman was acquitted after taking abortion pills past the legal limit, saying she didn't know how far along she was.
S1: That, by the way, is a major problem that we've discussed on this programme over and over again. It's why the abortion pills went all the way up to the United States Supreme Court. There is a limit. If you read the label and you apply it of no more than ten weeks gestational age, and one of the concerns people have said put some guardrails back in around this medication is if mama like this story reports doesn't know how far along she is, is she going to hemorrhage to death in the bathroom? Who's going to be there? How is that pro-woman? We know that it's going to kill the baby, but it might kill the mother, too. How is this a good idea? So this little abortion pill, which is really two pills and a two step regime, is really manufactured in hell. And it is completely changed this debate. So David Robertson didn't skip a beat on this. And he writes an article for Christian today, not to be confused with Christianity Today. And his opening line is this. At first I didn't take it seriously. I heard the news that a couple of amendments to the Crime and Policing Bill were coming to the UK Parliament to, in effect, allow abortion on demand up to birth. And I assumed that this was the work of the radical extremists who think that any woman should be able to kill her own child up to birth. I assumed that such an extreme measure would be overwhelmingly rejected, but I was wrong. And then some. David joins us from Australia, where it is tomorrow. So I always say in terms of my eschatology, I guess it means that the Lord doesn't come tomorrow because David's living there and we're having this conversation, and I know he loves Jesus and I know he follows him. He is a Scottish Presbyterian minister, is currently serving as Scots Kirk, Newcastle, New South Wales in Australia. He broadcasts, he writes, he blogs, he does a column. He hosts The Quantum of the Wee Flea, and he's a fabulous writer. We get to talk to him on a monthly basis, and I am so grateful. And I have a link to The Wee Flea so you can follow his writings, because he is Johnny on the spot with all of these stories that are making headlines, including reacting rightfully and immediately to this unconscionable move inside the Parliament. David, the warmest of welcomes, I want to cut right to this. Why? What was the need? What was the move to be able to do this? Because I think the conservative MP was right when she said that this is going to open the doors to be able to say you can have abortion up to the moment of birth. Talk to me about this.
S13: Yeah. It's a it's a sad day, you know, um, I let me let me just say at the beginning that as, as always, Janet, I was thinking about this. It's a privilege to talk to you. We talk every month. And I think it was about ten years ago that we had a one off conversation. And it's just kept going. So truly, it's been brilliant. You know, one day I hope we meet up before we get to heaven. You know about what? One day I'll come over to the States and surprise you. And we can do something in your studio. That would be lovely.
S1: I would love.
S13: It. Or you could. Or you could come over here.
S14: Um, I would love. One of the.
S13: Things I do here is I do write. And, you know, it's so interesting because I wrote about this and, um, I incidentally, I also wrote an article on, uh, what happened a couple of days later when euthanasia was approved by the UK Parliament and talked about it being a quiet judgment. But I spoke about this as an absolute evil. I felt very passionately about it. I mean, two things have amazed me about about that. Number one is both my articles have been the two most popular articles on, uh, the Christian Today website ever since I wrote them, and that is simply because Christians want clarity about this, you know, and they want information. And that's incidentally, I'll just put a plug in for your show that that's what you do. You provide information which is really helpful and helps helps us to pray. And the other thing that struck me is by using the phrase absolute evil. This is always the case. Immediately there were Christians who picked up on that and said, whoa, whoa, tone down the language. This isn't helpful. You know, and I'm going, what do you call it? What do you call it when you say to a mother, you can kill your baby one hour before they are born, but if you kill them an hour after they are born, you'll be prosecuted. And the answer, of course, is that this bill was it is not. It's not even about abortion. It's about infanticide. And one of the things, and you and I have talked about this before, I've been saying this for years. As the West turns away from Christianity, particularly in the United Kingdom. We are not progressing to a secular nirvana. We are regressing to a Greco-Roman pagan view of the world. And I the fact that MPs voted for this. I'm not usually shocked by what they do, but they voted by such a large majority for it, which indicates both the level of their stupidity. And I'm saying that word advisedly because they were they bought into the oh, we don't want to prosecute the, you know, they name a couple of cases. And let me just say this always exceptions always make bad rules.
S14: Yes, yes.
S13: But they didn't think about what they were doing. They didn't know that they were legalising, in effect, infanticide. And that made me feel sick.
S1: Yeah. Well, there's so much more to this. And I do want to talk about the assisted suicide part of this as well. David Robertson is with us. I cannot stress enough how much you're missing if you don't follow him on X. And if you don't go to the wifely.com, that is his website. He just writes prolifically about a wide variety of topics. But the best part? Always from a biblical perspective, I just love it. More with David Robertson right after this.
S15: Is this is a leaf.
S16: As teary appeals rolled. A ten foot tall puppet of a British judge brandishing a syringe loomed with. Opponents of a bill that would open the door to legal assisted death.
S17: As a Christian. It's murder. It's wrong. The scriptures say thou shalt not kill.
S16: Critics say it would put the vulnerable at risk, and that end of life care needs to be improved so people would choose to live. Just steps away. Proponents of that bill stood calmly in solidarity with the bright pink campaign for Dignity in Dying.
S18: My best friend died crying in agony, begging us to put an end to her life. It's just everybody's personal choice.
S16: Jenny hopes for that choice. She has terminal cancer and says she wants a more humane way to die.
S19: To allow my children to see me in a peaceful state would be so much better for them.
S16: Inside Parliament's House of Commons.
S20: Order, order.
S16: Ministers debated passionately but respectfully. Kim Leadbeater introduced the bill.
S21: Any one of us or our loved ones could be unfortunate or unlucky enough to receive a terminal diagnosis.
S16: The legislation applies to people expected to live six months or less. Two doctors would need to give approval, then a judge. The person must administer the lethal drugs themselves.
S22: The eyes to the right 330. The nose to the left 275.
S16: The result in favour was met only with murmurs, ministers reflecting on the gravity of their vote.
S1: Same thing. Nothing new under the sun. It's the same shtick they used in the United States to try to push it. It's the same angle they took with Canada, and it's a manipulation of language, and we'll get into that in a bit. But this was A12 punch. This all took place last week in the UK. In fact, it was a week ago today that this vote on decriminalizing abortion was voted on. Two days later they dealt with assisted suicide. So I'm going to unpack these one at a time. David Robertson is with us. He graciously joins us all the way from Australia. I always thank the Lord for the technology so that we can connect together. He wears many hats, all of them wonderfully. Broadcaster, writer, blogger, columnist, host of The Quantum of the Wee Flea and most importantly, the Scottish Presbyterian minister serving right now at Scots Kirk, Newcastle in New South Wales. I want to do a crash course on discernment because this is why I say in this program regularly be a good Berean test, all things, and know when you're being taken captive, as it says in the book of Colossians. Colossians three. Vain and hollow philosophy. So I have to tell you, this is a headline that was in Reuters now. Reuters is a news service that provides news, quite literally for copy around the globe. And I want you to hear the power of language to manipulate. Here's what the Reuters headline said for the vote in the UK. UK Parliament votes to decriminalise abortion comma repeal Victorian era law. Now every one of you just had the same reaction. It was like, oh it's arcane. Oh goodness. We of course we've got to get rid of it. We're so modern now. We want to get rid of old fashioned ideas. Really? Well, truth never goes out of style. Transcendent, objective. Knowable. Truth is always there. The same yesterday, today and forever. And the idea of being able to kill your child an hour before they're born, as David just put out in that hypothetical, although sadly, it's a reality, would be protected an hour after you're going to be prosecuted is absolutely ludicrous. So this is how they started it. Britain's parliament voted on Tuesday to decriminalise abortion in England and Wales, to stop a growing number of women from being investigated by police for terminating pregnancies under legislation dating back to the mid 19th century. Now, do you understand there's a remedy in that paragraph? Rather than saying open the floodgates of hell, let them go all the way through abortion, how about you work on your policing aspects first, you didn't need to open the gates. And then it goes on to say abortion has been legal in England and Wales for almost 60 years, but only up to 24 weeks. And with the approval of two doctors, women can face criminal charges if they decide to end a pregnancy after 24 weeks. Under a Victorian era law that carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. I bet if you looked at the books, you'd see little to no women who have ever spent life in prison for getting an abortion. David, this is this is the part where saints have to grow up. This is a 500 level Sunday school class, not a 100 level. And they're going to have to understand manipulation, delusion, and vain and hollow philosophies of what this is. So it's arcane. It's an old idea. A woman could go to prison for a year. All of this yellow journalism, no facts, all emotion. It's ludicrous on its face. But at its core, it challenges truth, does it not?
S13: Well, it it absolutely challenges truth. I mean, and what you've said there is we need to be very careful how we manipulate it. So you gave one example of the Victorian. Well, you know, the Victorians also thought it was a rather bad idea to murder people. If that's a Victorian.
S14: Law.
S13: Should we get rid of it? You know, so I think that that's an, you know, an issue. It's just this idea that somehow being more modern, we are more civilised. You know, I hope and pray that in 100 years time, people will be looking back and it won't be you and I, but I don't think so. Anyway, people will be looking back, going, ah, you know, Weren't they barbaric in the 21st century that they slaughtered their babies? You know, because it's much the same way as we look back at the barbarism of slavery, although many people at the time supported it the other way that they manipulate and use language. You notice the little clip there where the girl says about her friend dying in agony.
S1: Yes.
S13: And of course, everyone immediately goes, oh no, no, we can't have that. That's terrible. If you don't support euthanasia, you're supporting people dying in agony. There's absolutely no no need for anyone to die in agony. Uh, you know, we can all tell different stories, but the fact is that palliative care. I remember I did a debate on euthanasia many years ago, and one of the people on our side was a doctor. The person on their side. Incidentally, it was very interesting that all the people on their side were very posh, wealthy people who were just concerned entirely about autonomy. They wanted to be in control, which is what this issue really is about.
S14: Yes.
S13: And dying there was he? This man was a palliative doctor and he said, there is no need for anyone to die in agony. Well, if that was true ten years ago, it's certainly true. Today. We provide palliative care. We don't kill people so that they avoid pain.
S1: Thousand percent. Spot on. By the way, that's why there's hospice. I'm glad you used the word palliative care. That's exactly right. This was a woman who didn't get proper pain management. There's always another way than playing God. Back after this. Christians are called to go into the marketplace of ideas. Throughout history, men and women of God have been thought leaders, innovators and forces for good. We want this program to continue in that bold tradition. Join me by becoming a partial partner. Your monthly gift will make a difference as we help Christians take a bold stand in the marketplace of ideas. Call today 877 Janet 58 or go online to in the market with Janet So appreciate and admire David Robertson. He is joining us all the way on the other side of the globe, where it is tomorrow morning. I'm so glad he comes and visits on a regular basis, because we learned so much from his Biblio centric thinking, and I love the way this precious Scottish apologist knows how to apply the whole truth, the whole gospel, to the whole world around him. So not only is he a minister at Scots Kirk, Newcastle in New South Wales in Australia, but he's a tremendous communicator and every time the Lord opens the door, a platform for him to go. You heard him talking about debating euthanasia in the past. He goes and he represents Jesus Christ as an ambassador and does a superb job. He writes, he blogs, he writes columns. We talked about his piece that just showed up in Christian today, both on the euthanasia bill, the the assisted suicide bill and the abortion bill as well. And he's got a fabulous podcast called The Quantum of the We Flee. You can learn all about this by going to the Weekly.com, the Weekly.com. So I want to go back if I can, just a little bit because I think these are such serious issues that we need to be thinking biblically about this. So two days after the abortion pill, they moved to pass and again, an overwhelming vote. The terminally ill adults end of life law, which gives mentally competent terminally ill. These are important phrases in the law. Adults in England and Wales with six months or less to live, the right to choose to end their lives with medical help. First thing they went through my mind, David, is the Scripture that says it's appointed unto man once to die, and after that the judgment. So man and his hubris says, I've determined it's going to be six months. What if God says no? That's a mortal's perspective. I, the creator and author of life, who appointed when you would arrive and when you will depart, you have a different plan in mind, and it's longer than that. And so you've you've jumped ahead, decided that you know better than God. And it's, it's there's an arrogance in that. At its core, I'm not being unkind by any stretch of the imagination. My mother was a hospice nurse. But I'm really and truly saying at its core, there's a sense of arrogance about this. That man knows better than God. Number one. Number two, this is always the opening salvo. This is how it started out. Made now is out of control in Canada. My Canadian listeners right now are nodding their head in agreement. You start out with the idea that you're mentally competent and then you start moving as they're doing it in Belgium and Switzerland, where now you're going to go to the mentally incompetent or you're depressed or you have down's, or you just want to end life because you're weary of life. This is the opening door. It never stops here. So how does a Christian respond to all of this?
S13: Yeah, I mean, some people want to bury their heads in the sand, you know, and just say, let's not do this. I mean, we've got to speak truth, you know, into the lies. We've got to show light in the darkness. You know, you were saying before how things get manipulated that, um, that bill, this will maybe help your listeners understand how these things work and how we need to think about language. Remember, it's the devil who who confuses and who's the father of lies. So that Bill was actually called assisted dying. We moved from euthanasia to assisted suicide to assisted dying. Now I say to people, I am all for assisted dying. I refuse to give up the language to those who twist it and change it, because assisted dying is is to assist people who are dying. It's to give them palliative care. It's like when my mother in law died from cancer, she didn't want any further chemotherapy because she said, I'm ready to be with the Lord. You know, he knows when I'm going. You don't need to keep me going, you know, etc.. So withdrawing that treatment wasn't, um, killing her, providing her with pain relief was assisting her as she died. And we all want that. But what they're talking is assisted suicide. And I'll give you another example. And without mentioning names here in Australia, uh, what they call voluntary assisted dying. And often it's not voluntary because the, the pressure is put on people because of finance and all your your family's inheritance, and you don't want them to see you in pain. All the emotional abuse that goes on with this, that in reality, uh, what happens is, uh, even Christian organizations, if someone who's staying in a care home that's a Christian care home, wishes to have voluntary assisted dying, the care home doesn't have to do it, but they have to let someone come in to do it. And I can think of one example of a member of staff who told me that, uh, a client had said, you know, uh, I'm going to die tomorrow at 3:00. And she said, the blackness and the darkness and the misery over the whole place. You know, people think, oh, this is great. This is wonderful. No it's not. You're going to go meet your maker. You no more have the right to take your own life than you have the ability to decide when you come into the world.
S14: Exactly.
S13: You know, and I know that there are hard cases, and I know that there are great difficulties. And I pray that I don't live in pain. And I know that when my father died, I felt a sense of relief, and I understand all of that. But under no circumstances am I prepared to let the state have the right to kill people, even if it's supposed to be voluntary, because it soon becomes involuntary. 10% of euthanasia cases in the Netherlands and Belgium are involuntary. In Canada, 49% of young people think that if you're poor, you should be eligible for, uh, maid, you know? It is unbelievably wicked. And it will only get worse. And Christians need to think about this properly. We need to understand the enormous value that we have on life. I quote in my article about the evil, um. Hitler's secretary Traudl Junge, said that Hitler's view on Christianity that it was an outdated religion which, amongst other things, sought to keep alive the weak and those who didn't deserve to live. Well, people go on and on and on about the Nazis and maybe, you know, they say you shouldn't bring them in. But I'll tell you this. Euthanasia, abortion on demand and everything else. You don't get anything more Nazi than that. It is absolute evil. And I am not afraid to say that. But I am ashamed of Christians who try and back away from it. Of course there are difficult cases. Of course we we're not heartless and things. You know. I don't want to die in pain. I've come very, very close to death, and I've been in a lot of pain. But, um, you know, by the way, I need to tell you this. This was a funny story when I was in hospital, and I was in a coma in and out of a coma. Uh, my teenage daughter, who was 14 years old at the time, um, the staff said I was in a, you know, the high dependency unit and critically, critically ill. And they said, why don't you, you know, read your father some of your work from school. So she came in and she read me her essay on euthanasia, and they were horrified and and And my mother said, oh, sorry. My mother, my wife said, oh no, he would absolutely love that. He would absolutely love that. You know, that would. So oh my goodness. So it was just priceless, you know. Um, but, uh, you know, we we have got to stand for life. If we don't stand for for life, what's the point of us being Christians?
S1: Thank you. Yeah. I love the eloquence of your writing. I'm the one. Both of them, by the way. You can find this at Christian TODAY.com and you will see literally there's a column called Most Popular. And David's right there is his piece on what happened a week ago today on abortion. And then there his piece is his piece called The Quiet Judgment on the UK. And listen to how he writes this. And so it has happened. It came not as a bolt of lightning, not as a flash of thunder, not with a mighty roar, like an earthquake. It did not come in the form of war, plague and famine. It came as the pale horse whose rider was named death. Revelation six 68. The judgement of God. I'm going to come back to that. The judgment of God has finally come upon the United Kingdom. Quietly, silently, like a thief in the night. It came in the form of an irrational, emotive and godless Parliament who this week voted to permit the killing of babies in the womb up until birth, and now has introduced the National Suicide Service with its vote to permit assisted suicide. God has given us what we voted for. Now, before you respond, David, let me just say in full disclosure, we're exactly in the same place that the United States. I'm not finger pointing at all. We are doing the exact same thing. We have a movement of people who are trying to get death on demand through every 50 states. Praise be to God. It hasn't happened yet that some states have resisted. There was an attempt to do it at the federal level. Didn't happen. Thanks be to God. And now with the abortion pill, even though we've got a decision that dismantled the law in this country that allowed abortion on demand, I have to tell you that there are states that have counter moved against that. And they likewise allow exactly what the Parliament voted on a week ago abortion up through the moment of birth. Oh, and they'll tell you we don't even we never do that. But then you ask where the restrictions are, and they'll give you a blank stare and not answer. So if God's judgment is on the UK, it is likewise on the United States. What does that mean for a believer to hear that when we turn our back on some of the most basic principles of His Word, why we can expect God's judgment?
S13: Well, I think it's Romans one. You know, I think Romans one is just the most pertinent passage for today. In fact, you know, to be honest, not just Romans one. As I read through the Bible, I keep thinking, oh, this is so relevant. Oh, this is so relevant. You know, I find it amazing that people don't find the Bible relevant. I mean, sometimes it's maybe people like, you know, preachers like me, it's our fault because we, we sort of try and, you know, update things. And in so doing in adding to the word we take away from it because the word is just relevant. It's just simply that. And I think Romans one is really relevant and God's judgment for me, God's judgment can come in different ways. so God can punish us and discipline us as a father disciplines his children, which is for good. God can sometimes smite us, if you like. You know there can be something drastic or really strong happen. But I think the worst possible punishment is the Romans one one where God says, okay, you didn't want me. You want to do without me. Have it your way. You know, there's a famous burger chain who said, you know, have it your way. Of course. Frank Sinatra's I did it. I did it my way. Uh, no. No. Christians, if we do it our way, we just get things so wrong, we really screw it up. You know, we just. We make such a mess. And that's why it's actually compassionate for us as Christians. Not just to yell and say, oh, this is terrible. This is really bad. But we can actually say to people, there is a better way. There's the way of Christ, you know? And that's actually what our culture has been built on. So, I mean, some of us, you and I have been looking at this kind of stuff for years and years and years, and we see the trajectory on which we're going. And it's it's not loving for us to keep quiet and look. The Lord, this has happened before and the Lord has turned it around before, and I pray he would do so again.
S1: Yes, yes. But in the midst of all of this, and you make such an important point, we are never ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ with grace. The Bible says, but seasoned with salt, you speak the truth in love because in fact, that's the kindest, most loving thing you can possibly do. God's laws are protective, not punitive. More with David Robertson all the way from Australia right after this. David Robertson is with us, Scottish Presbyterian minister, currently the minister of Scots Kirk, Newcastle, New South Wales. I've got a link to his website where there is just chock full of information the Weekly.com. What else would you expect a Scotsman to name his website the Wifli. Com. He makes commentary on everything under the sun and it's fascinating, including you can get access to the two articles that I talked about before, and we started on a serious note as well. We should, because literally we were talking about life and death, but there's always a spot for the absurd. And David picked up on it. And this is I think it's important we end on this kind of a story. You know, we talk about how we struggle with words and we struggle with truth. Maybe it's because we're dumbing down our students. So there is a private, a very posh private school in London that apparently now is going to teach a book by Panti Bliss, a drag queen, and it's going to be taught alongside Shakespeare as part of a diversification of literature program at a £30,000 a year private school, the private school is teaching pupils queer theory alongside the works of drag queen and non-binary writers as part of a drive to diversify its English curriculum. So the staff at the school, which is southeast of London, said in a post that its English department has introduced the authors as part of a five year overhaul and general genuine diversification of the literature taught at the school. It also disclosed that the £30,000 a year co-educational day school was going to use Shakespeare's plays to discuss racial and gender equality and challenge, quote, white centric, patriarchal and cisgender ideologies. Yes, I'm sure that was very much on his mind when he took out his quill pen and was writing some of his plays. Oh my word, David, how absurd. First of all, £30,000. These poor parents are not going to get their money's worth. They're dumbing down their kids.
S13: They are. Although, again, um, you know, can I say in the race to the bottom in posh schools, the United States is definitely winning.
S1: Yes. We drew guilty as charged.
S13: You know, I have I have seen I think there was a school in New York that was $50,000 a year, and the stuff that they were teaching, you know, I would have sued them for it, never mind pay them. I mean, the fact that that, you know. You wonder, uh, the stupidity of humanity. So this particular school, what got me about it was so they're teaching queer theory as part of their diversity, equality and so on. Um, but this is school that charges, what, $50,000 a year?
S1: Yeah, yeah.
S13: So let me tell you this in terms of diversity and equality and so on. 95% of people in the UK, if not more, could not afford to send their kids to that school. That school is deliberately exclusionary by the amount of money it costs you to go there. So when it's like you get all these people, I mean, we live in this crazy world where at least, at least when when I grew up, there was kind of, you knew that communists and socialists and so on, you know, there was a kind of defined view of economics and so on. Now you get billionaires calling themselves communists, you know, or there's a wonderful presenter on the BBC who's not really wonderful. She really annoys me. But, um, she, she, she, she, uh, calls herself a luxury communist, you know? Yeah. Of course.
S1: That's an oxymoron.
S13: Isn't that what Marx? Yeah, that's what Marx meant. That's exactly what he was saying. You know, millionaire communists. But the point about it is this. They see everything through this filter, which makes them feel virtuous. You know, they themselves are almost certainly, you know, they'll be they'll be white and they'll be wealthy and they'll be so on. But because they stand up for the queer, it's like the corporates now in the US, I have to say, the US has seen a turnaround, I think, particularly since Donald Trump has come to power, where there's less and less sponsoring of pride marches, but for corporations, it was an easy win. You could go and take money out of anywhere. You could exploit whoever you want, but as long as you had a pride flag, then hey, you were, you know, standing up for the oppressed and you were helping the poor, which was just an absolute lie. But that's the insanity of where we're at in our culture. And I think, you know, you and I, we can talk about this, we can talk about the abortion. We can talk about everything else. Well, people say, okay, it's all very well to point out how crazy it is, because you get people like Jordan Peterson and Douglas Murray and others pointing out the craziness of it. But what's your solution? Well, our solution is the gospel.
S1: Amen.
S13: You know, I had a guy come into my church and he had a go at me last week, and he ended up actually assaulting me. But he was saying, you know, uh, I'm, you know, indigenous and, you know, you're white scumbag. And, you know, I said, I just looked at him and said, I couldn't care two hoots about what your skin color is. I just don't care. I care that you're a human being. I care that you're somebody made in the image of God, and you and I can talk on that basis, or you can carry on with this rather pathetic justification for your abusive violence. And I think that's where we need to go to people. I think we need to point out what the evil is, but the best way to show the evil is by shining the light. And I think the gospel, all the subjects that you and I discuss, the gospel has an answer for it. We value the child in the womb because they're made in God's image. They are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139. We pray for and we value the elderly, sick person who is dying because we know that they will leave this world and they will go to a place of their believer where there's no more tears, no more pain, no more suffering. And if they're not a believer, they will go and face judgment before God. And so we urge them to repent. And when it comes to education, we long for people to be taught so that they can think so that they can be logical, like their creator, the logos, so that they can appreciate beauty and not be indoctrinated in the lies of the devil, which is exactly what this school is doing, no matter how posh it is.
S1: Yeah, couldn't agree more. Isn't there a wake up call for parents on this? You know, the Bible tells us to look well to the ways of our household. Even if you can afford $50,000 a year to go to a private school, I don't see scripture saying, that's right, Mom and Dad, now you've given up your responsibility. You're a parent by divine appointment, not by election. And so it seems to me, when you see so much of what's going on in the world, this is a clarion call for moms and dads to do what Nehemiah said. When you hear the sound of the trumpet to fight for your families, is it not?
S13: Absolutely. And I think we are responsible for our children. And yes, schools is great, and it's great to have Christian schools, by the way. And John Knox argued, where you have a church, there, you have a school. We are responsible for our children, and we're responsible for how we proclaim the gospel in this dark world. And the dark darkness of the world just lets us shine the light more brightly.
S1: Amen. What a note to end this conversation on. Wow. This is why we love talking to David. In the meantime, do a couple of things for me because I think you're really missing out if you don't. You follow David on X, right? He's remarkably in tune. He's been when when the things were happening in the UK Parliament last week, he was Johnny on the spot. He was reacting immediately. He and I loved the way he responds to so much of what is making news in the United States. His astute observations are striking and you don't want to miss them. But again, if you go to his website, his podcasts are fabulous. His teaching of the Scripture is fabulous, his understanding the world around us and applying the whole truth, the whole word to that situation is remarkable. And it's a tutorial for us because that's exactly what we're called to do. It's can I use this word? It's applied Christianity, taking the truth of the gospel and applying it to the entire world around us. And as David just said, God has given us the answer, the person of Jesus Christ, and we get the privilege of telling his story. Now go and tell. Thank you David. Thank you friends. See you next time on In the Market with Janet Parshall.