S1: Hello, friends. Welcome to the second hour of Open Line with me, Michael Jelinek. I'm the professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute, also the academic dean in the undergraduate school. And this is Moody Radio's Bible study across America. We are together live sitting around the radio, kitchen, kitchen table, taking your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. If you have a question, now's a great time to call. The phone number is (877) 548-3675. Again (877) 548-3675. Before I was mentioning the team, I forgot to mention Merle Saint James, who's helping out with engineering today. And I want to make sure that we recognize him as well. Really appreciate him. And also time. Now go get your second cup of coffee, open your Bible because we're going to continue studying the scriptures together. Right now we're going to talk to Rodney in Springfield, Illinois, listening on Wluw. Jay, welcome to Open Line. Rodney, how can I help you today?
S2: Hi. Thank you. So going back a couple of weeks, you were in first Corinthians 14, I believe, and you were addressing the hot potato of speaking in tongues. And so my question is, should we, in our private devotions, in our private prayer, should we be consistently speaking in tongues? That's my question.
S1: Is that what you do?
S2: I do sometimes, yes.
S1: So not consistently but sometimes.
S2: Yeah. Not Not every time. Some. Sometimes I pray with understanding. Uh, only, uh, it just depends on really how much time that I have. You know, if I have a lot of time, then I'll spend some time praying in tongues. Um, because my understanding is that when do you.
S1: Interpret for yourself? When you when you do that and.
S3: No. No.
S1: Because that's what that verse actually means, where it says that, uh, people speak with understanding or pray with, uh, pray without understanding. And uh, and then with it basically says, what? Then I will pray with the spirit. I will also pray with my understanding. We think that sometimes that means I'll pray in tongues, and sometimes I'll pray with understanding. It doesn't mean that I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with my understanding. It's not options. It's both at the same time. Because how can you even say amen to yourself.
S4: Right? Yes.
S1: If you don't know what you're saying, you know.
S4: Correct.
S1: Yes. That's the point. Correct. The point of this is not. I've got two options. I'll choose a and sometimes I'll choose B. It's you've got two options both at every time. If the if you're going to you know, I think what Paul was saying to the Corinthians, if you're going to pray in tongues, then you better also understand what you're praying and have it have it understood by you so that.
S4: Okay.
S2: Yeah. Can I ask one more quick question?
S4: Sure.
S2: Isn't there another place where he says something like, um, the person who prays in a in a tongue edifies his spirit?
S1: Yeah. Yeah. Edifies himself.
S2: So what does that mean?
S1: Yeah, for the person who speaks in another language is not speaking to men, but to God. Since no one understands him, however, he. Uh. Right. Uh, yes. However he speaks mysteries. And then in verse four it says the person who speaks another language builds himself up. Or in the old version, edifies himself. But he who prophesies builds up the church. Now we say, see, you can edify. It's for self edification. Actually, if you read the context, the purpose of all gifts, if you go to first Corinthians 12 where he gives the gifts, what is the purpose of anyone getting any gift?
S4: Do you know the building up?
S2: Building up of the church?
S4: Exactly.
S1: The build up of the body.
S4: And so to.
S2: Maturity.
S1: Yeah, to build up the body. And so when he says the person who prophesies speaks to people for edification and encouragement and consolation. He says, when you prophesy, what you're doing is you're building up the church. And then he says, the person who speaks another language builds himself up. That's not a good thing. It defeats the purpose of the gift. What he is saying, this is my Michael Zelnick paraphrase. The person who speaks in another language without interpretation only builds himself up. He's just showing off.
S4: I've never looked.
S2: At it that way.
S4: But that's.
S2: Interesting.
S1: But he who prophesies builds up the church. What's the point?
S4: Yes.
S1: Of gifts to build up the church.
S4: Yes. Amen. See what? Uh.
S1: And so he would discourage again, uh, speaking in a language of prayer. If there is, I don't I'm. You know, you've heard from me, Rodney, that I don't get mad at people for believing in tongues, but I don't think that what people are doing today is the biblical, real languages of tongues. Uh, however, if it were, they would still be not a good thing just to show off and and and use your gift if you don't have interpretation because you're just showing off, you're just building yourself up. I understand that's not the purpose of the gifts of the spirit. The purpose of the gifts is to build up the body.
S4: Yeah I agree. So? So, yeah.
S2: We don't see this really anymore, do we?
S1: Uh, well, I do see a lot of people who that. Well, they should, but the reason there isn't real interpretation is because everything that we and again, I, I God bless everyone who loves the Lord and believes that their tongues are legitimate. I am I'm not trying to get into an argument or a fight, but studies have been done on the modern tongues movement, where linguists who can break down, uh, everything.
S4: Yes.
S1: Uh, in a language and they can understand what a language is, right?
S4: Uh.
S1: I, I've taught with 3 or 4 different people in applied linguistics. We have a wonderful applied linguistics professor now who's translated the Bible into an Ethiopian, into an Ethiopian tribes mother tongue. Uh, he, uh, he's phenomenal linguists. Uh, now, I also in the past, I taught with a guy that did it with a Philippine, a Filipino tribe, translated the Bible for them. Then he comes and teaches our future Bible translators how to do linguistics. They can break down languages. It's just the most amazing thing. Anyway, linguists like that have studied modern tongues and they say it is just gibberish. They do not hold the qualities of language. The response given is, well, that's because it's a heavenly language where Paul says in Galatians one, if I speak with the tongues of men or of angels. Well, listen, you've got a Bible. Have you read the Bible? Sure. Well, what do you see when angels talk? Do they speak in gibberish?
S4: They speak in an understood language. Yeah, exactly.
S1: And, uh, in, in Galatians one, when Paul says, if anyone, if anyone preaches another gospel, let him be anathema. In other words, if someone distorts the true message, let him be anathema. Let him be accursed. And then he says, even an angel from heaven, if he speaks another gospel, let him be accursed. Well, angels don't preach the gospel. And secondly, angels from heaven would never distort the gospel.
S4: Right.
S1: So what is he doing there? He's using hyperbole, exaggeration, the very same thing that he does in first Corinthians 13 when he says, if I have every imaginable gift, even if there were a language of heaven, if I which, by the way, it would also a language of heaven would have the rules of language. But nevertheless, you know, even even if I did that, if I don't have love, I'm just a clanging bell. Right? So.
S4: Right.
S1: The point that he's making is hyperbole. He's not saying that there are there are special languages that are unintelligible and into linguistics because they're angelic speech. It's not what he's saying. He's he's using hyperbole there. And so I think it's really important to know that when the gift of tongues was first granted at Pentecost, what were they doing? They were speaking languages where people from those parts of the world understood them. They were real languages, and and God is certainly capable of doing that. I don't think he's doing it as a gift right now, but he's certainly capable of doing it as a miracle. I don't I believe God can do miracles, but right now it doesn't look like that's happening with the modern tongues movement. You know, some people point to Romans eight where it says that the Spirit of God intercedes for us. You know that that passage I'm talking about, don't you? Right. Uh, when with words beyond our ability to speak. You know that, right? And so people say that's what tongues is. Listen to the verse in the same way, the spirit also joins to help in our weakness, because we do not know what to pray for, as we should. Do you ever get to that point? It doesn't always happen, but there are times where we're so distraught. So at the end of our rope, we don't even know what to pray for anymore. At that time, what happens? The spirit himself intercedes for us. Now listen with unspoken groanings. Yeah. That means it's not spoken. It's not even tongues. It's it's it's intercession within heaven that doesn't even go through us. That's what that verse is talking about. So the whole.
S4: Yeah, I.
S1: Believe the whole theology and practice of devotional self edifying tongues is something that that could be, uh, that's just I don't think it's intended. It's not all that helpful. I don't believe it's helpful, uh, at all. And it can be harmful. When I first was a pastor, there was a dear woman in my congregation who. The problem that she had was that whenever she prayed because she prayed in tongues so much, she she came to me. She says I can't articulate. I start to pray and I immediately go into tongues. I can't ever articulate prayers. She became so dependent on tongues. And so what? You know, what am I going to do? I'm her pastor. You know, I didn't want to hurt her feelings or offend her, but I said, you do need to pray. And so she had to learn to pray again by writing out her prayers, because otherwise she couldn't speak them. So I think that let's let's master praying with understanding before we try to do anything else. How's that? That's what I would encourage.
S4: Oh yeah, I.
S2: Yes thank you. I yeah, I'm in a weird position because I've been around charismatics and Pentecostals and, uh, my whole life and always struggled with this.
S3: So this.
S4: Helps. I appreciate.
S2: It so.
S4: Much.
S1: Well, thank you so much for your call. I really appreciate it, Rodney. And we're going to take a break here. And when we come back, we're going to be talking with you about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. So stick around. Don't leave. We're going to try and get to your question. Call (877) 548-3675. My name is Michael Ray Jellinek, and we're going to be right back with more of your questions right here on Moody Radio's Open Line. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm Michael Ray Dolnick. So glad that you're listening in today. We're having a great time around the word studying the scriptures. Uh, now, uh, autumn is here. And as soon as I. It's pretty crisp this morning where I am, uh, feels pretty cool. And it's immediately. You think it's. It's the fall. Time to learn about the Jewish fall, high holidays, the high Holy Days, we call them. And Chosen People Ministries is offering a free, very helpful booklet called Celebrate Israel's High Holy Days. Uh, the booklet explores all the fall Jewish holy days. That's the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, the Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur, and the Feast of Booths Sukkot. It's just a booklet, but it's really helpful. I'm sure you're going to like it. Uh, don't miss out. If you'd like a copy of that little booklet, just go to the Open Line website. That's open Line radio.org. Scroll down. There's a link there that says a free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your own copy of Celebrate Israel's High Holy Day holidays. Now, I am so grateful that Chosen People Ministries has partnered with Open Line since the week I started, when it was just a local program. For the first six months, it was just in Chicago. Open line. And then when I went on the Moody stations and then on the whole, all the affiliates, I think we're up to about, uh, almost 300 affiliates now and really grateful for that. Uh, and chosen people who's been with us from the beginning, and now they are partnering with Moody Bible Institute for something that's really important to our legacy. Our legacy has always been to oppose anti-Semitism. During the 30s, Moody took a real clear stand in the Moody Magazine opposing anti-Semitism in the 70s, when neo-Nazis wanted to march in the Jewish suburb of Skokie of Chicago. Doctor Sweeting, the president of Moody, took out a full page ad, uh, opposing that march and standing with the Jewish community the same way today as we see anti-Semitism erupting all across the globe. Uh, hate for God's chosen people becoming normative. Well, Moody Bible Institute wants to help believers learn how to take the biblical stand in opposing this kind of hatred. And the way we're doing is we're having a summit, a one day conference opposing anti-Semitism. We're going to have special speakers like doctor Mark Jobe, president of Moody. I'll speak. So will Doctor Mitch Glazer, president of Chosen People Ministries, and also doctor Don Sweeting. George Sweeting's son, Don Sweeting, is the chancellor of Colorado Christian University, one of the most outspoken opponents of anti-Semitism across the nation. He speaks loudly and clearly and well about this, and there'll be special breakout sessions. What can we do as believers? What can we do as a church to stand against anti-Semitism? Please don't miss out. It's November 9th at Moody Bible Institute. Uh, you can go to our website, openline Line radio.org and click on the link there. At the top there's a banner that says The Summit on Opposing anti-Semitism. You can find out everything you need to know. You don't have to be from Chicago. You can come from all over the country. There's hotels in the area. Please join us. It's crucial to get as many believers there as possible to learn to stand against this satanic hatred of anti-Semitism. And we're going to talk to Luis Rafael right now in Orlando, Florida, listening on WGN. Welcome to Open Line. Luis Rafael, how can I help you today?
S5: Hi. Thank you for taking my call. Can you hear me? Well.
S6: Yeah.
S1: You sound great.
S7: Yeah.
S5: Beside the Lord Jesus Christ. I think we may have other things in common. Like, uh. I haven't been in Dallas Theological Seminary, but I've taken some courses, and I have been mentored for 15 years on separate occasions by doctor, uh, Albert Platt.
S1: Uh, Al sure, I know him.
S4: Yeah, sure I know.
S5: And, uh, Oscar Lopez.
S1: Yeah, sure. From Dallas Seminary. I know these guys.
S5: Yes, yes, they ministered to us, uh, Hispanic conferences in Keswick in new Jersey.
S4: Yeah, sure.
S1: I know. I've spoken at that Keswick Conference Center in the past.
S4: Yeah.
S5: Have you? Oh my word. I wish I would. I used to live in new Jersey. I live now in Florida. I lost my wife in 2022 of Covid. Oh. I'm sorry. Uh, yeah. I've been ministering in Hispanic bilingual congregations for 18 years now. I'm in Florida. No congregation. Just, uh, you know, getting in some time. Uh, and I don't want to. I want to kind of, like, fine tune my position as Calvinist. Uh, you know, I think I'm a Calvinist. I don't want to be hyper Calvinist. Uh, and I may have some Armenian on me, because I believe that we can use our free will to say no to the Lord and reject the gospel. So I don't know what you take on that.
S1: So let's see, do I? What I think you'd like me to explain out Arminianism versus Calvinism. Is that what you're asking?
S5: Yeah. In general terms, yes. Yes I. Okay. If I. Okay.
S1: So I you know or if you're asking I really believe that the Lord uh, uh, chooses you read Ephesians one. It says that believers are elect before the foundation of the world. So I really do believe in election. Uh, I do believe the Bible predestines us. Uh, the Bible teaches the Lord predestines us. It says that he foreknows us to foreknow doesn't mean just to know who will believe, but he knows in advance. Uh, enters into a relationship with us in advance. That's what it means. Uh, but before time. And so the Lord is sovereign. On the other hand, the Bible teaches that people have to believe. And there is a responsibility. What I find about Calvinism is it seeks to explain it on the election side without emphasizing the the responsibility of the person to believe. The Arminian side tends to emphasize the responsibility of the person to respond to the gospel, to believe, but then finds ways to get around the idea of election. Uh, and I live with it. Sort of. I learned this in, you know, I was a Bible college student back in 1974 or 5, and I read a book called evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer, who's a Calvinist. And Packer argues that trying to resolve sovereignty and human responsibility is sort of it's impossible. He calls it an antinomy. Uh, an apparent contradiction, not really a contradiction in the mind of God. It makes perfect sense in our comprehension ability. We can't understand it, he says. It's sort of like you see these two. I think the illustration uses two pipes that you might see running along the wall, and then it enters into the wall, and only behind the wall do the two pipes join together and fit together in the same way. Uh, I believe when we're here in this life, uh, with our finite minds, we can't grasp it. We just can't grasp it. But on the other hand, in the mind of God, the two work together perfectly. They make perfect sense, you know, In Isaiah 55, it says this, uh, and this is how I resolve it. I just believe both, uh, I fall more on the side of Calvinism on the issue of security. I believe in the perseverance of the Savior. He holds on to us. But here's what Isaiah 55 says. My thoughts are not your thoughts. My ways are not your ways are not my ways. This is the Lord's declaration as as heaven is higher than earth, so are my ways and my thoughts. Uh, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. So here's the deal. Uh, it's it is a seeming contradiction and apparent contradiction. But in the mind of God, it's not. And I just live with them both. And, uh, you know, I may not be the best theologian because theologians love to explain everything. There's a great theologian by the name of John Feinberg. He wrote a book that explains how these two things work together. And I tried to read it, and John's just too smart for me. I couldn't understand it. So I'm just going to live with my mind being two to finite. So I hope that helps you lose weight too.
S5: I'm quite sure we have a human has a responsibility to respond. I just don't want to. I've written about 4000 words, uh, argument with Doctor Gary Hedrick, who I support from messianic perspective in Texas. Uh, and uh, uh, I my, my take was, well.
S1: You know, you know, Luis, Luis Rafael. The thing is I, I'm not I don't want to argue with anyone about it. I'll tell you why. I, I believe that there's a human responsibility to respond to the gospel. When I preach the gospel, I invite people to believe, and I act as if it's all up to me. But I pray, and I really do believe this, that no one would ever respond if the Holy Spirit didn't open their heart, you know? Uh, that's that's what I think. And I think someone, I think just hung up. But they were they were calling the next caller I was about to take was calling about the verse that says, as many were appointed for eternal life. This is acts 13, uh, where it says, uh, as many as were appointed to eternal life believed. Uh, it's uh, verse 48, when the Gentiles heard this, they rejoiced and glorified the Lord, and all who had been appointed to eternal life believed. Uh, did is there a human responsibility to believe? Yeah, it's right there. But how did they believe the Holy Spirit opened their eyes? It says in acts 16, the Lord opened Lydia's heart. And that's. That's the only way, I don't think, in our own we'd ever believe. But the Lord opens our hearts, and that's how we respond. So, uh, I think you agree with me about that, don't you?
S5: Yes, yes. Well, yes. We're in the same. In the same, you know, same lines. Yeah. Yes.
S1: Yeah. That's it. It's so, uh, it's so difficult. And let me just encourage you, uh, do you ever pray for people who don't know the Lord to come to know the Lord?
S5: Yes.
S1: Yeah, I keep doing that, too. There's only one verse in the Bible that has that, you know, in Romans ten one, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is they might be saved. That's the only place where it talks about praying for the lost. Uh, but we should pray for the lost that God would open their hearts. And on the other hand, uh. And that's because we believe in a sovereign God. And yet, when we talk to people who don't know the Lord, what do we do? We invite them to believe. We press them to believe. We do whatever we can to encourage them to believe. So I always say, I share the gospel like an Arminian and I pray like a Calvinist and somehow that seems to work. I really do believe that. Hey, Luis. Rafael, thanks for your call. We're going to come back with the mailbag in just a moment, so don't go away. Trish is dragging it in right now. This is open line with Michael Zelnick. We're back. This is open line with Michael Dolnick. And I am so grateful to the Far Eastern Broadcasting Company for partnering with Moody Radio and Open Line to bring you the Febc mailbag every week. They are faithful and not just faithful in bringing the Febc mailbag, but also faithful in bringing the good news to people through their media ministry. It's an outstanding ministry. I love this organization. They not only have media going out to people, radio and things broadcasts, but also individuals that will follow up and and give a personal touch to follow up the gospel and lead people to faith and disciple them. It's an outstanding organization. You can check out their podcast by going to their website febc. Org and click on the podcast called Until All Have Heard featuring Ed Cannon. I think you're going to love that. That's f e b c.org and Tricia McMillan is here with me right now. So glad you're here, Tricia. So have you taken a look at our current resource?
S8: Um, not not since we've started using it.
S1: Okay. But I know we used it as, uh, we actually interviewed Jim when he, when the book first came out and talked about it on air. And I'm so glad we get to have the this book 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy the Bible as our resource and you. Can you guess why I like this so much as a resource?
S8: Uh, I'm guessing because it's giving you ways to read the Bible.
S9: Yeah, exactly.
S1: It's it's just a great little synopsis of ways to read the scriptures and anything that I could do to get people to get more out of their Bible reading, I'm thrilled with. Uh, I said last hour, I kind of wish I had written a book by Michael Block. I kind of wish I wrote this book to, I got to say, because this is exactly how I feel, you know, about people just need to have some clues about what to look for when they're reading the Bible. And it's not a Bible study methods book so much as, hey, when you read, read it this way. Look for like one areas. Look for repetition, repetition of concept, repetition of words. And he goes through all the things that we look for because that's usually what the passage is emphasizing, and he just talks about different things to look for. It is a great book. Jim Coakley wrote it 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy Your Bible, and it is our current resource. If you give a gift of any size, we want to say thank you. We appreciate you so much, and we'd like to send you this book as a way to say thank you. And so check out 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy the Bible. You can give by going to our website openline radio.org. Or you can call (888) 644-7122 and and make sure you ask for Jim Coakley's wonderful award winning book, 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy the Bible. And Tricia. Yes, you need to have a look at this book. You're going to love it. You're going to I can't wait. You know what? You teach all these women's Bible studies. This is a book you should lead women through. This is a great book.
S8: I have it in my office. I will need to get it. I just haven't looked at it for this month. Yeah.
S1: Yep, yep. But it's a great book, I love it. I just reread it because of of using it as a resource and I, I, I loved it more the second time than I did the first.
S10: Oh, good.
S8: So it was a fresh read too. Yeah. Yeah. The second time. So you can keep going back to it, which are the kinds of resources that we like that they continue to help you even after you've read it the first time.
S10: Yep, yep. It's great. Fantastic.
S1: So, anyway, uh, we got the mailbag.
S10: Here we do.
S1: Okay, here we go.
S8: All right, our first question is from Kim in Washington state listens to KMBC. What does faith look like? So more specifically, looking through the Old Testament, there are battles and cities and the followers of God forged weapons and built walls for protection. But in some of the battles. So. So they fought some of the battles themselves. But in some of the battles, God did all the work. Was he pleased by that preparation? And then she's kind of relating it to financial like. Should we be preparing for the worst and just trust that God will meet all our needs? What does that faith look like in that preparation versus how it actually plays out?
S1: Well, my wife Eva has a little plaque that she got in Israel and she has over her desk. It says Trust God, but tie up your camel. So, uh, I think, you know, when you look at, for example, people say, I knew someone that didn't save any money, so I'm never going to save because I'm trusting God for my retirement. And, uh, well, I read the book of Proverbs and it talks about the ant stores food in summer so he can eat in winter. Right? That's something that God built by instinct. And it's a lesson for us to learn from, to start early and prepare. So, uh, yes, we should trust God. Uh, you know, we don't know what the future holds there. Might. You know, I actually have a retirement fund, and it, uh. but I do know that that whole thing can collapse. The entire economy might collapse. And I have to trust God. You know, I don't think it will, but I. I have to trust God for that, that he's going to take care of me whether my savings do or not. But I do have a responsibility to save. Same thing. You know, God knows the day of my death. He knows when I'm going to die. That doesn't mean I should go out and eat everything bad for me. You know, live on potato chips and, uh, you know, just because God knows the day of my death doesn't mean I shouldn't eat healthy. You know, uh, that that there's a responsibility we have that God has ordained healthy eating, retirement plans, safe saving, uh, protection, for example, like she mentions in the Old Testament. Uh, that's all part of what God uses, uh, To, uh, to protect people, to fulfill his purposes for them. Uh, I think the only time when God was not happy with that was like, for example, when Asa, uh, made, uh, associations, alliances that he should not have made. Uh, God tells Israel at other times, don't rely on Egypt to protect you. It's like a reed that will pierce your hand if you rely on it or it'll break. Uh, so sometimes it has to do with are we relying on God or we're relying on allies in war? And that that would be something that would be problematic. But otherwise doesn't mean that Israel wasn't supposed to have walled cities or make, make, protect, take protective action.
S10: So so it's.
S8: Almost make make responsible decisions About whatever that is about your food, about your finances, about even going, how you're getting to work on it, you know? Um, but trust God ultimately through that, as opposed to it's all up to me, I have to do this, and I'm going to live making my decisions as if that's the only thing that's going to protect me. Like the only. I am fully reliant on how my retirement fund does. And if it all falls through, then my life is over. No, you're doing that knowing that ultimately God will provide for you and he. And one of.
S10: The ways he.
S1: Does, he uses your retirement fund to do that, right? You know, uh, the the other thing, you know, it's like I used to tell my kids, you know, I trust God to protect you, but, you know, here we are. We live in the city. Don't walk out. You know, when when they, you know, were 18 and older, Don't go out in the middle of the night. You know, when do bad things happen in the city? At 2 a.m., you know, go to bed. You know, that's.
S10: You still look both.
S8: Ways before crossing the street.
S1: Exactly.
S10: Okay. Yeah.
S8: Okay. Well. Thank you. I hope that helps. Kim to to give you a little bit more on what that faith in God looks like.
S10: Yeah.
S8: While still making responsible decisions.
S10: Yeah.
S1: Just just remember, whatever's plaque says trust God, but tie up your camel.
S10: That's it.
S8: All right. So I gotta get me a camel. No.
S1: Yeah, but you know where it was? Where we went and rode camels. Do you remember riding camels when we went to Israel?
S10: No.
S1: Uh. Or maybe that we skipped it that day.
S10: That you were. I think we skipped the trip with camels. Yeah.
S1: There was a problem that day that you came with us, but we went to this, uh, it's called Abraham's tent. Okay. And, uh, they have a gift shop, and they had a they have camel rides, and they you have, like, an Abrahamic kind of meal.
S10: Okay.
S1: And then, uh, and then they had this sign that said, Trust God, but tie up your camel. Even said, I like that.
S10: And she just got.
S1: It's over her.
S10: Desk. Very nice. It's a good principle. Yeah.
S8: Um, our next question comes from Young Minds. Um, Trudy is in New York, listens online, and she said, are there any verses in the Bible that talk about when animals became carnivores? Our middle school Sunday school class has been debating their thoughts and they haven't we haven't found a specific scripture, something that was after Adam and Eve sinned in the garden, and others think it was after the flood. Does the Bible tell us?
S1: It doesn't say when they became carnivores. Carnivores, carnivores, however. Uh, I'll give you my clue. Okay. Um, it says, uh, the Wolf and the lamb. This is about the messianic kingdom. There'll be a change in the animals. It says at that time the wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox. So it is saying, in the messianic kingdom, when Jesus is reigning on the earth and we have the new millennial kind of experience, uh, animals will go back to what they were originally, which was herbivores rather than carnivores.
S10: Where is that verse?
S1: Isaiah 6525.
S10: Okay.
S1: Uh, now everything won't change because the serpent's food will still be dust. Because that's he's going to be. That's one of the ways that that the serpent is now more cursed than all the other animals. But it seems to me that the wolf and the lamb becoming carnivores was part of their fall, the fall of humanity in the garden. And it will be restored when the they'll be restored to herbivores when we come to the kingdom.
S10: Okay. Okay.
S8: So if it was a result of the fall, that means then on the Ark, they would have had to make special provisions for the carnivores, um, to keep them away from the other animals that they would have eaten.
S6: Yeah, they might have.
S1: You know, I, uh, my, my, uh, although, you know, I have to say this, I know dogs that would normally want to chase a cat.
S10: Mhm.
S1: Some don't.
S10: You know. Yeah.
S1: So yeah. I don't know what, what happened at the, uh, on the Ark. I'm not going to worry about it.
S8: So those things that send us down these. But what about that aren't really that important. But we do wonder.
S10: Yeah, I.
S8: Do wonder about.
S10: Them.
S6: This this is the.
S1: Most important lesson. God didn't give us the Bible to satisfy our curiosity, but to transform our lives. And this is one of the. This is one of those questions. I'm not going to change my life.
S10: Right? Right. Yeah.
S8: Because it'll change. It'll change in the messianic kingdom. Yeah. And until then, this is what it is.
S10: They are. It is what it is. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. All right. So.
S1: Listen. My dogs. Yeah. They'll eat.
S10: Anything. So there we go.
S1: Even plastic.
S10: Oh. Oh, that's not good. No. I think we should take a break here. Okay. Come back. All right. I'll take some more questions.
S1: Hey, Tricia. Thanks for bringing the questions together. I really appreciate it. And thanks for sending them in. You can always go to Openline radio.org. Click on the link that says Ask Michael a question. You can send your question in that way. We're going to come right back with more of your questions in just a moment. This is open line with Tricia McMillan and me, Michael Dolnick.
UU: Be right back.
S1: Welcome back to Open Line. I'm Michael Ray Dolnick. I have a kind of a funny story about my friend William Washington. Uh, he. Doctor William Washington is the dean of student life at Moody. We were out to lunch one day, and we ran into some people, and the woman heard my voice and recognized me from the radio. This woman that was at the same restaurant we were at. And so she said, oh, you're Michael Dolnick from Open Line. And I said, yeah. And she said, I listen all the time. And she called her husband over who was talking to someone else, and she said, This is Michael Dolnick from Open Line. He said, oh yeah, I listen all the time. He says, and this is the funny part. He says, uh, William and he says, but he mentions the name of another professor at Moody and says, I like him better. I said, well, I do too. So, you know, we're in the same boat. But William laughed at me. He says, you may like him better, but are you a kitchen table partner? That's what he looked at him. He said, if you listen every week, you should be a kitchen table partner. And so. That's what I thought was funny. William will never miss an opportunity to ask people. He kind of embarrasses me sometimes. Are you a kitchen table partner? Every time you meet someone that listens to Open Line? But I appreciate his heart. And the reason why he does that is he knows how important it is to partner with Open Line. It helps keep us on the air every week when you give every month. And so I appreciate it when people have done that. I appreciate everyone that listens. Actually, we started on this program. I thought it would be the only one listening every week. But there are people who listen every week. And if the Lord's used this in your life in some way to help you grow, understand the scriptures better. Learn to read them in a more effective way. If you're growing through this and you would like to become a kitchen table partner to help keep us on the air, we would so appreciate it. The way to do that is by calling (888) 644-7122, or perhaps go online open line radio.org. You can sign up there. And every other week we'll send you a Bible study moment. It's a special audio Bible study designed exclusively for our kitchen table partners. And really grateful for all of you who have decided to become kitchen table partners, and even those of you who are considering it really, really appreciate you and I hope you will decide to join in this program. And now we're going to talk to Heather in Campton Hills, Illinois, listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line. Heather, how can I help you today?
S11: Hi. Um, my my question for you today is from the Book of Judges, and it is about, um, just, uh, jephthah's vow. So my husband and I are both in agreement that unfortunately, he did follow through and he did offer his daughter because she was the first thing that came out of his house as a burnt offering. We have a friend who thinks differently and says that he thinks that she went to mourn her virginity and just like, lived out the rest of her days, maybe as a nun or something.
S10: You know, a nun.
S1: Oh, yeah. Right.
S4: Okay.
S11: But it says it does say right there that when she returned after the two months that he did to her as he vowed. Yeah.
S1: So let's talk about his vow. Okay. Verse 30. Verse 31. Okay. It says whatever comes out of the door is. This is Jephthah's vow.
S10: Of.
S1: My house to greet me when I return in peace from the ammonites will belong to the Lord. And my version says, and I will offer it as a burnt offering. But, uh, the the same word could be translated, or I will offer it as a burnt offering. So the vow does not require a burnt offering. Uh, the the other, uh, aspect of this, you know, when, when she does this, when she, you know, she comes out and greets her father. Uh, it says, uh, that that or I will that one will belong to Lord. In numbers eight, it talks about the Levites belong to me. Numbers 814 and when you look here at this, I will I will either offer it as a burnt offering, or they will belong to the Lord. That's the idea. And and in the book of Psalms it talks about, you know, can I finish Heather for a minute before you, before you engage with me? Hang on a second, okay? One it's or not. And two, it's, uh, the the idea is that one of the options is they will belong to the Lord, which is a term that's used for the Levites and three, uh, in the Psalms, it talks about the women, the the young virgins that served in the Tabernacle and by serving in the Tabernacle, they belong to the Lord. They were virgins that did that. And then you read judges 11 and what happens in judges 11? She she mourns not her upcoming death, but she mourns her virginity. This is especially sad for Jephthah because he doesn't have any other children, and he he won't have any, uh, heirs other than her, and his his line won't go on. So she mourned her virginity. You'd think if he was going to kill her, she'd have something more serious to worry about. So he kept the vow he had made about her. And she was. She never knew a man. So when it says he kept the vow. What happened? Not that he killed her, but she never knew a man. She never was intimate with a man. And that's how it was. Okay. How's that? Does that help at all? Heather?
S4: Pardon me?
S11: It does, because it does help a lot. Because we thought. How could you make such a vow? You know, who do you think's going to come out of your house? Yeah, well, the first thing.
S1: They they did have, uh, they did have, believe it or not, they had little goats and things like that that went into the tents. And, uh, so it it it, uh, I've been in a Bedouin tent, uh, Bedouin encampment, encampment in the Sinai desert. Uh, and I was amazed, uh, sitting there with there were these little goats hanging around with me and, uh, and I'm like, oh, my, this this is just a different thing than I expected. But I think that wasn't that different back in the, in the day, uh, that they actually had little animals within the tents with them at times. Okay. Okay.
S11: That makes a lot more sense.
S10: Thank you.
S1: Well, thank you so much for your call. I really appreciate it. And wow, I can't believe it. That's the program for the week. Thanks everyone for listening. I so appreciate it. And especially thanks of you. To you who called or wrote and asked your questions, you make this program possible. And also thanks to our team there today, Trish McMillan for producing tiara for answering the phones, Chris, for doing all that engineering. Chris Seeger, I really appreciate it. Merle also for learning and being part of that. So glad for all of you that work on the Open Line team and all of you who are listening as part of the team, really appreciate that. Keep in touch with us by going to our website, Open Line radio.org. That page is everything you need all the links and resources you want. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.