S1: If ever there was a place of wonder, it's heaven. When was the last time you truly wondered about heaven? I mean, if heaven is our eternal destiny as believers, shouldn't we give it more thought, more study? And and shouldn't our daily agenda be shaped by the need to prepare for that life to come? Well, coming up, a fabulous look at heaven. You'll love our sneak preview. By the way, welcome to the land and the book. Our host is a man whose heart never leaves Israel. Doctor Charlie Dyer, and I'm John Gager. You know, we asked Charlie at this time of year, what does Passover mean for us as believers in Jesus? Some will remember the story from the book of Exodus, but there's a lot more to it. For example, did you know that the Last Supper was actually a Passover meal? Not only did Jesus and his disciples celebrate Passover, it also foreshadowed his death on the cross for our redemption, right?
S2: That's right. John, Jewish people have been keeping the feast of Passover for thousands of years. Understanding the history and importance of this holiday will help you connect with your Jewish friends and neighbors. And what better way is there to learn about Passover than to experience a Passover Seder yourself? If you've never celebrated Passover, our friends at Life in Messiah would love to partner with you in hosting a Seder experience. Every year, their staff engage churches and small groups in an interactive Messiah in the Passover Seder, allowing participants to taste and see the redemption story. If you're interested in having someone come lead a Seder in your area, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to learn more. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: And let's bring our focus now toward current events from the Middle East. This week, President Trump's plan to have the people of Gaza relocated to Egypt, Jordan and other places has been rejected by most countries as nothing more than ethnic cleansing. What are the legal issues involved and is the plan even workable?
S2: Yeah, let me break that down into a couple bite sized chunks. First, is this ethnic cleansing and is it even legal? Well, population movement and resettlement has, at least until recent times, been seen as a logical way to resolve ethnic tensions. After the Greek Turkish War, back in 1919 to 1922, a population exchange took place in which a half million Turks living in Greece were sent to Turkey, while hundreds of thousands of Greeks and Turkey were sent to Greece. In 1937, the British Peel Commission recommended transferring more than 200,000 Arabs from the proposed Jewish state to the Arab state. Following World War Two, there were an estimated 40 to 60 million people displaced due to redrawn borders and ethnic tensions. This ultimately included 650,000 Arabs who fled their homes in what became Israel, and about 850 to 950,000 Jews who were forced to flee their homes in the surrounding Arab countries, and in the early 1990s, after the breakup of Yugoslavia. The war between Bosnia and Serbia resulted in the displacement of over 2 million refugees. Now, in that case, several individuals were convicted of war crimes for the forced transfer and deportation of Bosnians. The bottom line today is that forced population transfer is considered a war crime. However, President Trump stressed a voluntary transfer to improve living conditions. That's more of a gray area. Which leads to the second question is this plan even workable? And my answer is probably not, at least not as it was described. But it's possible that the very point of the plan is its absurdity. It's Trump's Art of the deal, where you start with an extreme demand that forces everyone to shift the boundaries of what was previously considered possible. Since his proposal, Arab countries have been meeting to develop an alternative plan, which is far different than their earlier position that Gaza must return to. Exactly what it was before October 7th. One proposal suggests forming a national Palestinian committee to govern Gaza, replacing Hamas. Jordan offered to take in several thousand children from Gaza for medical treatment, and Egypt's president traveled to Saudi Arabia to discuss an Arab plan that could include up to $20 billion from the region for reconstruction. Ultimately, however, over $53 billion is going to be needed over the next ten years. The initial $20 billion would only cover the first three years. Now, I have a friend who once described the type of negotiation technique that President Trump used here as the equivalent of throwing a hand grenade on a conference table. What he meant by that was when all sides are so entrenched and no one's willing to compromise, propose something totally outrageous and out of the box and suggest it as your course of action. It forces everyone to scramble for other alternatives. Now, hopefully, President Trump's plan will get people to cooperate in reaching an acceptable compromise.
S1: Charlie, quick question about Hamas. I read a headline, didn't really explore it much from a Hamas representative who stated that they will not be in charge of whatever becomes of Gaza in the future. Was that just words, or do you think that might be true?
S2: That, I think, is words. In fact, I believe what Hamas would say is we'll just be regular Palestinians. And of course, then there will eventually be elections. And of course, our people will run in the elections and they'll be voted into office and and we'll take over again by the ballot box. So don't believe everything Hamas says.
S1: Several news outlets have reported that Israel is planning to attack Iran's nuclear facilities in the near future. How accurate are these reports, do you think?
S2: Yeah, when it comes to these reports, everything isn't always what it seems to be. We do know the International Atomic Energy Agency believes time is running out for any kind of a nuclear deal with Iran right now. Iran has enough highly enriched uranium to eventually construct six nuclear weapons, and they're apparently exploring ways to more quickly turn that uranium into crude nuclear bombs. Now, these recent reports suggest Israel is planning to attack Iran's nuclear facilities sometime this year. But here's the problem. We don't know if those reports are stories that were uncovered by reporters or stories planted by the U.S. or Israel. It's possible the U.S. or Israel want to frighten Iran into being more willing to negotiate a deal to limit their nuclear program. President Trump has said this would be his preferred outcome. But in light of Iran's intransigence, it's also possible the stories were intended as a final warning to Iran that time is running out. I suspect the second option is more likely. Israel and the U.S. are discussing ways to eliminate or severely degrade Iran's nuclear facilities. The main question is whether Israel will act alone, or if the U.S. will assist with technical and logistical support, like providing tankers for refueling planes, or if the two countries will actually unite in a joint attack. In the past week, Israel took delivery of 1500 bunker busting bombs from the US. These 200 £0 bombs could damage a great deal of Iran's nuclear facilities, though it's uncertain if they could reach the underground facilities at places like Fordow. However, the US has developed a 30 zero zero £0 bomb that's apparently able to destroy a facility hundreds of feet underground. If the US and Israel do conduct a joint strike on Iran, it's likely they would set back Iran's nuclear program for years and send a message to other countries as well, like North Korea. Unfortunately, we won't know if the news stories are real or planted until later this year.
S1: This is the land and the book from Moody Radio with Middle East expert Doctor Charlie Dyer. 3000 Years of Jewish history is now on display in a new exhibit at Israel's Ben-Gurion airport. What exactly is on display and how long will it be there?
S2: Yeah, those traveling through Ben-Gurion airport can now spend time exploring this new archaeological Illogical exhibition. It's called The Eternity of Israel, and the exhibit takes visitors through 3000 years of Jewish history, showing Israel's connection to the land. Now, part of the reason for the exhibit is to show how the archaeological history of the land and the history of Israel and the Jewish people do intertwine. It reinforces the reality of Israel's historical connection to this strategic piece of real estate. The exhibit includes both photographs and actual discoveries, including a five ton stone from the western wall of the Second Temple in Jerusalem. It also features a hoard of coins discovered in the desert, tools from a Hasmonean era farm near Mount Arbel, ancient weapons and a seal bearing the name Ahab, the King of Israel, who married Jezebel. Every display and photo comes with its own QR code that will allow passengers to access videos filmed at the excavation sites and other details. Now, the exhibit is scheduled to run through the end of this year and Lord willing, John, I'm looking forward to seeing it during my trip in November.
S1: And we'll look forward to hearing your report on that exhibit. Well, speaking of Ben Gurion Airport, what's the latest on travel to Israel? Is the country finally opening for tourism as we hear about more airlines going ahead with flights?
S2: Yeah, I've got good news and less good news, but thankfully it's not bad news. Air France did resume flights from Paris to Tel Aviv on January 25th, and Lufthansa began flying February 1st. Several other major U.S. and international airlines have also announced they'll begin flying in the coming weeks. United said it will resume flights starting on March 15th, and Delta will begin flying April 1st. British Air is scheduled to follow with direct flights from London beginning April 5th. The one major airline that's still not planning to fly anytime soon is American Airlines. They've said they won't start flights until September. Now, the number of daily flights will start out slowly, which means ticket prices aren't expected to start falling until later in the summer. And that's one part of the less good news. But as airlines expand flights, hopefully ticket prices will also begin to drop. The other less good news is that beginning in January, travelers are now required to obtain an electronic travel authorization prior to flying to Israel. It's similar to the requirements that are in place in the UK and other places in Europe that are going into place this summer, and we have a similar system for visitors who arrive here from other countries. Israel's program is going to cost about $7. It's applied for online and it will be valid for two years. So it's a bit of a hassle, but then it's a small price to pay to help make sure that there's no one on that plane who's going to cause problems once they get to Israel.
S1: And that's a look at current events from the Middle East. In our next segment, we're going to take a look at heaven itself. You know, when was the last time you really wondered about heaven? If our eternal destiny is not here, not now. Shouldn't we give the future more thought, more study? Well, that's where we're headed in a conversation you don't want to miss on the land and the book. Then it's Bible questions and answers and Charlie Dyer's devotional All Ahead on the land and the book. If ever there was a place of wonder, it's heaven. But when was the last time you actually wondered about heaven? If that's our eternal destiny as believers, shouldn't we give it some thought, some study, some prep? Even I think so. Hey, welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager. We're about to separate what's true about heaven from what's legend. But while we remain here, we're called to share the love of Christ and His saving message with everybody. So, hey, what do you say we take another shot of encouragement for reaching out to our Jewish friends? Have you ever wondered what the Bible is referring to when it talks about Israel's spiritual blindness? Let's ask Wes Tabor, who's an ambassador with life in Messiah. What do we mean by that? Well, all non-believers are blinded by Satan.
S3: John. Second Corinthians four says, but even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the God of this age has blinded, but God also judicially blinded, rebellious Israel, you know, back in Isaiah six. Second Corinthians 315 says that there's a veil on their hearts when the Torah is read. And Paul says in Romans, this blindness is both partial and temporary.
S1: So in light of this spiritual blindness, what can we as believers do?
S3: Well, pray. Pray for the veil to be removed and for God's Spirit to enliven the truth. Paul prays in Ephesians one, I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened. Verse 18.
S1: What a great prayer. May the eyes of your heart be enlightened. That's Wes Tabor with life in Messiah. Jennifer Rothschild cannot see, but that hasn't stopped her from much of anything blind. Since the age of 15. She's written 19 books and Bible studies, including her video based Bible study, Heaven. When Faith Becomes Sight, Jennifer travels the country offering fresh, sensible, biblical advice to audiences who, like her, are determined to pursue healthy and productive lives. Jennifer has shared her inspiring message to the arena sized audiences of the popular women of Faith conferences and media outlets, including Doctor Phil, Good Morning America, as well as a Billy Graham television special. We really enjoyed our last visit. Jennifer. We had to have you come back and talk about heaven. Thank you for reconnecting.
S4: Oh, I loved our last conversation and I'm really looking forward to talking about heaven.
S1: All right, let's give a quick overview, for starters about what this video based Bible study is all about. You're not the first to tackle the subject of heaven, and it's a big one.
S4: It's such a big one. It was daunting and I thought it was a great idea until I started writing the Bible study, and I realized I knew so little. And the real interesting thing, John, is heaven is this place we all want to go and some of us think we're going. And so what I recognized is there's so much misunderstanding about heaven. And in that misunderstanding, people miss not just going there when they die, but missing the impact of heaven now. So, oh, listen, I learned so much about it. It's a six week Bible study which is video based, and we go through what heaven is, what heaven is, not, what the Bible says about our eternal life, our resurrected bodies. But I do it in such a way that it's like holding the hand of the reader, because I needed somebody to hold my hand as I was learning. And so the beautiful thing is, we learn that God called us to live with him forever in heaven. That's why Jesus came to bring us to heaven someday. But even better, it's to bring heaven to earth.
S1: Now let's ponder a bit of basic theology you write. Our hope of heaven rests on the resurrection. Yeah. For somebody who's never given it a thought, why is that so critical?
S4: Well, if Jesus had not died and risen from the grave, then according to First Corinthians chapter 15, there would be zero resurrection. In other words, when we think of heaven, or at least when I originally thought of heaven, I thought, well, if I close my eyes to this life right now, that I'm going to show up in heaven with this glorified body, and I'm going to be able to see and dance, and I'll probably have beautiful blonde hair, even though I don't have it here on earth. I just pictured this glorified body. Okay. And the more I studied heaven, the more I realized, no, there is a present heaven where yes, we go when we close our eyes to this earth. Because to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. But it's not necessarily the glorified body that we will receive someday when Christ returns. See, when the Bible talks about heaven. For the most part, it's it's speaking of our glorious, unending, this new heavens and new earth. And that's where we will receive this resurrected body. And the beautiful thing is, John, the Bible says it will be like Jesus resurrected body. And if you study what Jesus's body was like when he raised from the grave, it was a material body. Yes, he ate, he drank, he laughed. And so heaven is not just this ethereal place. It will be a material, literal, glorious, unending. When our faith becomes sight.
S1: We're looking up into heaven as best we can. On today's edition of The Land and the book leading our exploration is an adventurer by the name of Jennifer Rothschild. You know, when it comes to what we'll be doing in heaven, Jennifer, the Bible is a little thin. Yeah, I sometimes wish we had more to go on. Part of me says, you know, if people really understood how awesome it'll be, they'd step up their game spiritually. They'd get more excited about heaven. They'd share Jesus more with their unsaved friends? But the other part of me says we've already been told I has not seen nor ear heard. Neither has it entered into the heart of man. The things that God has prepared for those who love him. So oddly. Heaven itself is a trust issue even after we've trusted Christ for our salvation. How do you react to that?
S4: Well, you know the same way I react every time I get on an airplane. And here's what I mean by that. When I get on an airplane, I am not a licensed pilot. I am a passenger. And I will sit on the airplane and I will buckle up. And I trust the pilot. Yes, I trust things I don't understand, and I literally put my life in that pilot's hands, knowing that he knows more than me. You know the Apostle Paul in second Corinthians 12, he had this experience where he was caught up to what he called the third heaven Paradise. It would be like what we consider today the present heaven where God dwells, where our deceased loved ones in Christ are right now. And so Paul said, I have this experience. And he said several times, whether it was in the body or out of the body, I do not know. God knows. That's how we deal with heaven. But God does, and we can trust him. And really, the point of heaven is Christ Himself. All of the questions we may have, all the longing. Those are pointers. They're not the destination. They're the pathway to get to the ultimate point of heaven, which is oneness with Christ, which we were created for. Heaven is our ultimate home because Jesus is our Savior, and so he's the point of heaven. Everything else just points to it.
S5: Yes.
S1: Jennifer Rothschild founded Women's Ministry Net back in 1998, an online leadership resource providing tools for women in the local church. She talks with us today on the land and the book about her book, Heaven when Faith Becomes Sight, which is also partnered with a video series. You got to check it out. We'll have a link at our website. Jennifer, there's no shortage of legends and mistruths about heaven. What are the first 1 or 2 that come to your mind?
S4: Well, as a little girl, John, I remember singing that song. I've got a mansion just over the hilltop and I literally thought, okay, I have got a mansion. I have been decorating it in my mind's eye since I was eight years old. And then that's based on, of course, John chapter 14, where Jesus says in the King James Version, in my father's house are many mansions. Well, a more accurate rendering is many rooms, many dwelling places. So it's interesting. I had a very, oh gosh, self-centered, Jennifer centric view of heaven. It was about me. I can't wait to get there. I'm blind now, but I'm going to be able to see there that is heaven, or I'm going to have a mansion. I'm going to have freedom. Oh, that's heaven, or I'm going to get to see my dad, who I miss so much. Oh that's heaven. And the more I realized and unlearned what Scripture says about heaven, I realized, no, that's not the point of heaven. If I've got nothing, if I'm just a doorkeeper in the house of the Lord, and I get to see Jesus face to face, which I will. That's heaven enough right there. And so I think if we can move from a self-centered view of heaven to a Christ centered view of heaven, then we're going to really begin to experience the reality of heaven here on this side.
S5: You know, it really.
S1: Seems to me that the issue is how much do we love Jesus? I mean, as you've correctly pointed out, heaven is essentially being with Jesus. It's not necessarily the place and all of its accoutrements, although I'm sure those will be mind blowing. Heaven is Jesus. It's presence with Jesus, living with Jesus, worshiping with Jesus. That either excites us or it doesn't. Seems to me.
S4: Yeah, yeah. You know, unfortunately, on this side of eternity, Unless Christ returns, we have to die to get to heaven. And so sometimes we're still afraid of death, that we make that the period at the end of our sentence like, well, there's nothing, you know. Yes, heaven is good, but it's an afterthought. And what I'm learning is, no, death is not like the period at the end of a sentence. It's not like the end of our story. It's the comma that transitions us to the forever story of our life this side of eternity. It's beautiful, but it's the prologue. The better story is part of the better country. And so when, when we can consider it that way, we look at it almost like C.S. Lewis did, like this is the Shadowland, but there's going to be a greater substance. And when it comes to longing for heaven, I mean, he even talked about death, that we have one of three ways that we experience it. We either fear it, we ignore it, which he contends, most of us in culture do even Christian culture. And then he said, or we desire it. And I don't really none of us listening right now would desire death. But I think what he's referring to is what Paul did, you know, that I would rather I would more desire to be with Christ. And that's that longing that you're talking about seeing that heaven is about Jesus. And I remember one day, John, I was in the kitchen with my daughter in law. She was new in our family, and with blindness, it's really hard to do a lot of things. Yeah, my cooking. But I was convinced I was going to impress her and make Thanksgiving dinner by myself. So she's sitting there at the kitchen bar and she's like, can I help you? I'm like, no, I got this. Well, it was clear, John, after a little bit, I did not have it. Like I left the microwave open and banged into it in my face. I burned my hand and she keeps saying, can I help you? And I'm like, no, I got it, I got it. Well, finally she pauses and she goes, man, blindness must be really hard. And I paused and it was like the kindness of the Lord. He just echoed this phrase in my heart, and I've clung to it ever since. I looked at my daughter in law and I said, yes, blindness is hard, but earth is.
S5: Short.
S4: And heaven is long. And I think, John, that was the kindness of God to me. And I say it to you, and I say it to all of us right now who are listening, that our true home is heaven and earth is short, but heaven is long. And if we can attach our hope and our treasure to heaven, then even the hard things here on earth, they begin to work within us that far greater weight of glory.
S1: Jennifer, talk to that listener right now who has up to this point thought they're going to get to heaven on their own. They're going to try hard enough. They've got this just like you in that kitchen. You're going to do this. You're going to. And frankly, they've banged their head and they've burned their hands and and they're not headed for heaven, and they don't know what to do. Would you explain real simply what they need to do to receive the gift of eternal life?
S4: Well, you know, when Jesus was talking to his disciples, the guys who loved him, and he was saying, you know, don't let your heart be troubled. You know, you believe in God. You believe also in me. And that's when he started talking about heaven. And he said, in my father's house there are many rooms. And if it were not so well, then I would have told you so I'm going to prepare a place for you. So then these guys who are trust in Jesus, they say like one of them named Thomas. He says, okay, that's good Jesus. But like, how do we know the way?
S5: Yeah.
S4: And that's essentially what you're saying because that's what we want to know. How do we know the way? And Jesus said the most simple and profound way. He didn't say, well, Thomas, you work hard enough. You please me, you make me happy. You be a good guy, a great citizen. You go to church, you love your people. No. All he said was, Thomas, I am the way, I am the truth, and I am the life. And nobody comes to the father except through me. So if you've been banging your head and burning your hands trying to get to heaven, that's because you're trying to make a way. When Jesus is the way. So to go to heaven simply means you say, Jesus, I trust that you are the way. You are the truth. It's not my truth. It's not anybody else's truth. It's your truth. And because you died on the cross, that cross became the bridge that I can walk across. When I trust you to walk from my sin into your salvation. From my sad, sinful ending to the glorious, unending of being with you forever.
S1: You know, if you have given that thought and right now, or even praying that prayer, we'd love to connect with you. You can email us at The Land and the book@moody.edu, if you would like to talk with a real human being right now, who knows Jesus, who knows the way to heaven and they'll be glad to pray with you. Call 888. Need him. 888. Need him. Jennifer. Our time is gone, man. It's a blast. Always to connect. Thank you for your work on this book. Thank you for sharing with us.
S4: Yeah. My pleasure. Thank you John. Bless you.
S1: And again, a link to Jennifer's book about heaven when Faith Becomes Sight at our website, the land and the book.org. What are you wondering about when you read the Bible? We'll talk about it next on the land and the book. Hey, thanks for listening to the land and the book. If you weren't listening, then probably nobody would be listening. I mean, come on, it takes all of us, right? Thanks for your company. Appreciate knowing you're out there. I'm John Geiger, by the way. Segment three is devoted to questions and answers from Doctor Gerald Peterman, our resident Bible expert here on the Moody Bible Institute faculty. How's your day going today, Jerry?
S6: Ah, I haven't got frostbite, so I'm doing really well.
S1: Okay, well, you know, I'm going to get to our first question after I focus for a moment on Passover itself. What does Passover mean for us as believers in Jesus? Some might remember the story from the book of Exodus, but there's so much more to it. Did you know that the Last Supper was actually a Passover meal? Not only did Jesus and his disciples celebrate Passover, it also foreshadowed his death on the cross for our redemption. And Jewish people have been observing the feast of Passover for thousands of years and understanding the history. The importance of this holiday will help you and me better connect with our Jewish friends and neighbors and coworkers. Hey, what better way is there to learn about Passover than to experience a Passover Seder yourself? We did this last year. It was awesome. And if you've never celebrated Passover well, our friends at Life in Messiah would love to partner with you in hosting a Seder experience. Every year their staff engaged churches and small groups in an interactive Messiah in the Passover Seder, allowing participants to taste and to see the redemption story firsthand. If you're interested, and I bet you are in having somebody come lead a Seder in your area, just head to life in messiah.org. Life in messiah.org. Click on the Moody Radio button there to learn more. Again, that's life in messiah.org. All right. He's got a lot of time invested in your questions, and I'm looking forward to hearing some of those answers. Ready for this first one.
S6: Yes, sir.
S1: All right Gerald Peterman never breaks a sweat. Here he is with a question from Ken who takes us to Daniel 11. Verse 37 says the Antichrist will have no interest in women. I've heard various opinions on what this means, but I'm wondering if he will be gay. What is your opinion?
S6: Well, good. Let's go to Daniel 1137 and read it. We see two things that the Antichrist will pay no attention to. It says he shall pay no attention to the gods of his fathers. So gods is the first thing. He's anti-God. Further, it says he will pay no attention to the one who is loved by women. So it's not ignoring women, but ignoring the one loved by women. I think Doctor Michael Dolnick has it right when in the Moody Bible Commentary he says this is a reference to the longing of Jewish women to give birth to the Messiah. So in other words, it's not a romantic reference, but a spiritual one. The Antichrist, as his name tells us, is opposed to the Christ.
S5: Lorna.
S1: Wants to know about. First Chronicles two seven and first Chronicles four, verse one, that mention Karmi as a descendant of Judah who was Karmi, and also who was the father of her and Shobal.
S6: From first Chronicles, it's clear that Karmi is a descendant of Judah, but it's difficult to know exactly how Karmi is remembered as the father of aCaa, or sometimes spelled akin, who defied Israel by stealing and hiding in his tent. Things taken from Jericho. I'll go back and read that story. It's well worth reading. That event takes place in Joshua nine, but we should keep in mind that Genesis 46 tells us Judah and his brothers and their families went into Egypt, and then 400 years later, out comes Joshua with the people of God for the conquest of the land. So there's a very large gap of time between Judah and his descendant Carmi. Now, wait, there's a second part of this question, and that's about her and Shobal. Her and Shobal are mentioned in First Chronicles four one. They're descendants of Judah, but in both cases it's difficult to know where to place them. Exactly. I think probably they're from the family of Caleb, from the Tribe of Judah.
S1: Gina is reading Charlie Dyer's book, Who Owns the Land? And she says. In it, Doctor Dyer describes the rise of Christian animosity toward Jews in the Byzantine era as assassins of God and their authority being more merciless than their heathen enemies. She wants to know what events led to the decline of the early church under Peter to allow such hatred toward the Jews. Aside from their perception of being assassins, surely the apostles and their students taught otherwise.
S6: You are right to wonder how the apostles and the early church leaders thought about Jews. And we don't need to speculate. We can go right to Romans and Romans nine, verses three and four. Paul says, I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, the people of Israel. And then he begins chapter 11. He's asking questions. Did God reject his own people? And his answer is by no means so clearly, Paul, the early church. The book of acts. They're not anti-Jewish. They're not anti-Semitic. So the question is, what happened. A key turning point was the rise of the allegorical method of interpreting Scripture, which happened during the time of origin. He was a Christian theologian in the second century. This allegorical reading of scripture was adopted by Jerome. You might recognize that name and by Augustine, and it became prominent well up into the Reformation era. Why does that matter? It matters because in the allegorical interpretation, all the kingdom promises made to Israel in the Old Testament were transferred to the church. And then once the church, or at least some people in church, were thinking of themselves as a replacement for Israel as the people of God, it opened the door for the church to meld together with the anti-Semitism of the secular Roman Empire, which was evident following the Jewish revolt in the first century and then in the second century. So that's that's kind of a quick history of how this happened.
S1: From Moody Radio. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager with our Bible answer man, Doctor Gerald Peterman of Moody Bible Institute faculty. We're glad to have you on board with us. Since we've already brought Peter into the conversation. Let's continue with this question from Betty. She says in acts two, when the Holy Spirit came and enabled the apostles to speak in other languages, thus spreading the gospel message, did the apostles change the language as they spoke to different peoples, or did some speak in one dialect and others in another? And when Peter spoke, did the Holy Spirit act as a universal translator, so that Peter spoke in one language? But the people gathered, each heard in their own language? Well, I.
S6: Really appreciate that question. We go to acts two four and here's what we're told. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the spirit gave them utterance. Now this word tongue is a typical word in the New Testament for a language or a dialect. Revelation five nine. Revelation seven nine. So the spirit gave this supernatural ability to speak in other languages, namely the languages of the people who had all gathered together for the festival in Jerusalem, its people from all over Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia. It's a stunning work of God. So I take it that the spirit enables the people in the church to speak the languages they don't know. So the gospel is spread. It's a spirit given utterance. But I take it later when Peter preached his first sermon, acts two, verses 14 to 36, he preaches a language he knew, probably Aramaic, although it might have been Greek, and gave that first gospel message and 3000 people came forward. Stunning stuff.
S1: Yeah.
S5: For sure.
S1: All right, let's head to Thessalonians. Todd asks if the church's removal is the next event on the prophetic calendar. Why did Paul not tell the Thessalonians the fact that they were still here to hear his letter was proof that the day of the Lord had not come. Instead, he says, the proof was that the man of lawlessness had not appeared in Second Thessalonians chapter three. Wouldn't the fact that the Thessalonians were still there have been the greatest evidence?
S6: Well, thanks, Tony, I appreciate that question. Basically, I think what Paul did was he answered the way he did because the question the church asked didn't focus specifically on rapture or why they were still there. Paul went back to a teaching he had given them previously in First Thessalonians chapter four. But apparently the believers in Thessalonica had either received a fake letter supposedly written by Paul, or a verbal report from someone who claimed to have heard from Paul. Because we come to Second Thessalonians chapter two, we find this concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus and our being gathered to him. We ask you, brothers, not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy or report or letter supposed to have come from us saying that the day of the Lord had already come. Now, I suspect that the persecution they were experiencing added to their emotional distress, making this fake news even more plausible to them. The fact that they were still there, experiencing terrible persecution, was what was causing them to doubt the order of events that Paul had previously taught. So he takes them back to what he previously taught. He chose one piece of teaching that could help them be confident that they were not in the day of the Lord, and that fact was the reality that the day of the Lord would not come until the rebellion came first and the man of lawlessness was revealed, the man doomed to destruction. It was clear that that man had not showed up yet. So because that was the fact that he had previously told them, he reminds them of it so they can be confident that the day had not yet come.
S1: And that's a look at some of the Bible questions that have come our way. And if you didn't hear yours, well, it's either in the queue or you didn't ask it. All right, now the fun part is on us. The other is on you. If you didn't ask it, you still can. Why not send an email to Doctor Gerald Peterman in care of the land and the book@moody.edu. The land and the book at Moody dot. Edu. How long does it take to get an answer? Typically from you.
S6: Anywhere from 2 to 3 days.
S1: Okay, so it's not horrible. You're not waiting a week. Two weeks. No. Thanks for your good work on that. Thank you for being a part of the land and the book. We're up next. We're opening up our Bibles. We're going to somewhere in the Holy Land. We're going to somewhere in Scripture. Charlie Dyer will weld them together. You'll never forget it in his devotional. Next. His name was Uzziah. And believe it or not, an inscription that has everything to do with his life and death. Well, Charlie, that's the subject of your devotional coming up. Is that right? That's exactly right, John. And we're headed for Second Chronicles, chapter 26. Welcome back to this final segment of The land and the book. By the way, before we head to Charlie's devotional, let's pause for a thought from somebody who's traveled to the Holy Land and has this reflection for you and me.
S7: The highlight for me was today at Mount Nebo. Whenever we've been to a site, a biblical site that is for certain site and not are we really think it's been overwhelming. And to stand there and visualize Moses looking over the promised land where God in his grace let him see it. But even for a godly man like that, disobedience had consequences. It was a tremendous learning experience and reminder. Very sobering reminder. And then our moody faculty teacher in reading the Scripture, said something I had never thought about, and that was that. On the Mount of Transfiguration, God showed his grace to Moses by letting him stand in the Promised Land. I had never thought of that in my life.
S8: What was important to me was time on Mount Arbel to be able to look over all of the land where Jesus walked and preached, and for me, it was a real time of spiritual rejuvenation recommitment, and it was extremely emotional and moving to be able to have that time there.
S1: All right, Charlie, you've got a continuing devotional series here. What's our theme again?
S5: Well, it's.
S2: Actually going to focus on 11 inscriptions that connect us with the Word of God. And and in this series, we're examining this inscription uncovered by archaeologists. That will give us additional insight into our understanding of God's Word and today's journey. Well, it might seem just a bit ghoulish because we're heading to a tomb. Well, not actually a tomb, but to an inscription that was once affixed to the entrance of a tomb. The stone plaque is rather small. It's about a foot square, and it's now in the Israel Museum. But it was discovered by an archaeologist in 1931 at the Russian Orthodox Church on the Mount of Olives. The plaque, written in a Hebrew script that was in use about the time of Jesus, says rather simply and yet directly to this place were brought the bones of Uzziah, king of Judah, not to be opened the bones of King Uzziah buried somewhere on the Mount of Olives, but with a plaque dating to the time of Jesus. That's a mystery worthy of the legendary Sherlock Holmes. And to solve it, we need to visit Jerusalem during the reign of this amazing monarch. So join me on a journey to discover the triumphs and tragedies of one of Judah's longest reigning monarchs. The story of Uzziah is found in the Books of Kings and Chronicles, but relatively few know any of the details concerning his life. Here's what the Book of Second Chronicles tells us about him. Uzziah was 16 years old when he became king, and he reigned 52 years in Jerusalem. The only king who ruled for a longer period of time was Manasseh. But more significant than the length of his reign was the spiritual quality of it. The writer of Chronicles summarized it this way, and he did right in the sight of the Lord. He was one of the good kings militarily. Uzziah strengthened the kingdom. He prevailed over the Philistines on the west, and the ammonites, Mennonites and Arabian kingdoms to the east. His reign saw an emphasis on national defense. He fortified the walls of Jerusalem, and he built defensive structures in the wilderness. In fact, the Bible goes out of its way to focus on all his military preparations. Patients. Much like modern Israel, Uzziah developed a trained army that could be called up for battle at a moment's notice, and he also focused on making sure his defenses included the most advanced weapons of the day. Moreover, Uzziah prepared for all the army shields, spears, helmets, body armor, bows, and sling stones, and in Jerusalem he made engines of war, invented by skilled men, to be on the towers and on the corners for the purpose of shooting arrows and great stones. But Uzziah focused on more than just the military. The writer of Second Chronicles goes on to say he hewed many cisterns, for he had much livestock, both in the lowland and in the plain. He also had plowmen and vine dressers in the hill country and the fertile fields, for he loved the soil. In an age when water and food weren't things taken for granted, Uzziah worked to ensure a steady supply of both for his people. King Uzziah was militarily and economically strong. He was smart, talented and godly. And then he made one incredibly stupid decision. He started to believe all the accolades and praise being heaped on him by the people. I really am amazing. In fact, I'm indispensable. God needs me and it's time I approached him on a more equal basis. Other kings get to lead worship in their nations, why can't I? I have a right to go to the temple and offer incense to God. And that's just what I'm going to do. Uzziah went to the temple to burn incense on the altar. The high priest, along with 80 other courageous priests, tried to block his way. It is not for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the Lord, but for the priests, the sons of Aaron. Were it not so tragic? This scene would almost be comical. Picture it. The doorway to the holy place of the temple is open and standing at the threshold as King Uzziah censer in hand, ready to offer the burning incense. Behind him on the steps are the palace guard, his royal secret service, while inside the temple is the High priest, and filling the space behind him are 80 other priests, all trying to block his path. The Bible says Uzziah became enraged at the priests. Who do you think you are? Don't you know I'm the king? I can do whatever I want. The priest took their lives in their hands to oppose Uzziah, and I suppose it really was a frightening moment for them. But they needn't have worried, because God was about to step out from behind the curtain to resolve the issue. And he did it in a most dramatic way. As Uzziah screamed at the priests, leprosy broke out on his forehead. Leprosy was seen as a sign of God's displeasure. And just like God did to Moses's sister Miriam. So now he extended his hand of judgment against King Uzziah. The king was forced to flee from the temple, and the Bible records the sad conclusion to an otherwise amazing life. And King Uzziah was a leper to the day of his death, and he lived in a separate house, being a leper, for he was cut off from the house of the Lord. So Uzziah slept with his fathers, and they buried him with his fathers in the field of the grave which belongs to the kings. For they said, he is a leper. Uzziah went from triumph to tragedy. In one dramatic moment, the king, who thought so highly of himself that he could barge into God's house and presume on God, ended up being barred from his own royal palace, and when he died, they buried him in the field where the royal tomb was located, but not in the tomb itself. And the last word spoken about him in Second Chronicles 36 tells us why he is a leper. Fast forward to the time of Jesus. New construction is taking place in Jerusalem, and during the construction a tomb is uncovered, the separate tomb hewn for leprous King Uzziah. The bones need to be moved. The grave relocated outside the expanding city. The likely location is on the Mount of Olives and the grave is about to be sealed up. A small plaque is placed at the entrance, a plaque that reminds visitors about the tomb's occupant. To this place were brought the bones of Uzziah, king of Judah. Not to be opened. So what lesson can we learn from this small limestone plaque? And the king it commemorates? Perhaps it's this many start well, but far fewer finish well. However far along you are in your walk with Christ, don't ever let yourself reach a point where you forget that he is indispensable to you, and start thinking that you are indispensable to him. It only takes one foolish mistake to ruin a life. That's the real message of the inscription on Uzziah's tomb. And it ought to be a flashing warning light to all of us. Now, if you'd like to see a photo I took of this plaque, which is now in the Israel Museum, be sure to head over to our land in the book Facebook page where I'll be posting that photo.
S1: Thank you Charlie. And maybe as you listen to this whole conversation, this arrogant king you're saying to yourself, quite frankly, I've been calling the shots in my life. I've been the king and it hasn't been God himself. And maybe you've come to the place where you realize you need the Lord in your life. You. You need a Savior. Well, today is your day to take action on that. Charlie, we've we've got a volunteer at a phone number. We're going to give out. It's called eight, eight, eight. Need him? Eight. Eight. Eight need him. And listeners can call there. And right now, talk to a real volunteer who knows Jesus and who can help them know Jesus. Seems to me this is something we ought to take care of today, right?
S2: Oh, I agree completely. And there's no pressure on the individual. But if you want to find solid answers to life's questions, that's where you need to go right now.
S1: Again, that toll free number is 888. Need him. Always great to visit with our host, Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager, thanking you for listening to the Land and the book, a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.