S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: The amazing thing about coming to belief in Jesus Christ, which is what? When Thomas asked Jesus, which I again, I just love Thomas. I gotta say, he asked questions no one else had the courage to ask. It should be Doubting Thomas. Okay, if you're calling him Doubting Thomas, it should have a added parenthetical statement that says Doubting Thomas, who actually spoke up for all those that didn't have the courage to ask the same questions. Oh, really?
S3: I mean, yeah, it's true.
S2: Guaranteed. The others are like, yeah.
S3: He asked that and glad.
S2: Oh, he put fingers in there and he's given the affirmative. Whew. That's good. Yep. He felt his nail pierced hands. Okay. That's good. Right. Because everybody felt that I would suspect not everybody, but a few of them did for sure. I mean, it's just a cool thing, but Peter gets told by Jesus when he's clarifying where he's going. He says, Believe in God. Believe also in me. Now that belief changes things. I mean, and it's not just a theological change. It is a practical shift. Everything happens differently. Now look at Paul on the road to Damascus. How did his career shift?
S4: Oh, in a major way. I mean, he was he was headed to persecution. He was a persecutor of Christians. Yeah.
S2: I mean, he was persecutor slash he was a what's it called? Uh, what's the law called when you're is it what's it called when you're a bystander? Nah, it's not a bystander. When you're watching a homicide and you do nothing. What's it called? Somebody help me. That's got a law degree. 805 five, five, 7898, 805 five, five, 7898. It's not co-conspirator. It's something else. Anyway. There's a technical term for it. So at minimum he's that some people have said he's a murderer. I think directly murder one he was heading for. But on the on the way to Damascus clearly. But he was at minimum passive when Steven was getting stoned to death. I mean, here he was collecting cloaks.
S3: Yeah. That that rule or that law is, is, comes from the bystander effect. So Paul wouldn't be a bystander. But from that, that rule, it's bystander.
S2: Name that we have in our in our system. By the way, every system is different. Wherever I go in the world, everybody's got a different.
S4: Where you are. You know, like you think about when someone commits an armed robbery, they will charge the and it goes bad and someone dies. The person who's driving the getaway car gets can get the same charge.
S2: Get the same charge.
S4: Because they were. And so Paul was kind of in more in that role where he was he was a not an active participant, but certainly a part of the group.
S3: Kind of like a I.
S2: Know it's called accessory to murder.
S3: There you go.
S4: Accessory.
S2: Accessory to murder. So he was an accessory to murder, if not a murderer?
S3: Outright, for sure.
S2: And he had a career shift.
S3: Yeah. He did.
S2: And a.
S3: Half.
S5: Big one.
S2: Yeah. I mean, come on. So we were. We were talking about this, and I want to kick it around with you boom crew. Because this is an important one. When you believe in Jesus Christ. Everything changes in your life. I mean, just take the parable of the soils. You go from a hard hearted person where you heard about the scriptures and you heard about Jesus, but the seed fell on hard soil. Dink dink dink. Satan comes along and grabs that seed so that, lest it bear fruit. Right? And then you've got the seed on shallow soil. It goes into a heart. It's not grounded. Shoots up, says I. Yeah, I'm all in. And then, you know, by high noon we're out. And then you've got the third kind of soil that's described by Jesus, which is the thorny soil, the worries of this world, the deceitfulness of wealth, and the desire for other things make it unfruitful. By the way, do you know what, John Piper? Um, let me go through the ones that I studied this up on. John MacArthur, John Piper. Uh, Sam Storms, I don't want to speak out of turn here, but those I studied all three of those guys in particular, contemporary kind of theologians, deep thinkers, all of them put that in the category of three out of the four heart conditions of soil are lost. Do not know Jesus. All of them. And only one does. And that's the one that produces a crop 30, 60 and 100 fold. It's fascinating stuff. So when you're truly born again, everything changes. For me, it did. I mean, guys, I went from coke snorting, Crown royal drunk and foolish man to radically transformed. And my entire orientation of my world shifted overnight. I mean, overnight in a matter of six months. Was it six months? In a matter of. Yeah, six, eight months. I was applying to a Bible college to go to a Bible college that I told my big sister who went to this same one. I will never go to this man. This place is filled with dorks and weirdos. Those are the.
S4: Exact.
S2: Those are the exact words I told her.
S4: Wow.
S2: And she just smiled at me. She's five years older than me. She thought I was a knucklehead.
S4: Yeah.
S2: But now I'm at the Bible college that I told her I would never go to. Why? Because Jesus radically altered me now. It doesn't mean that you get an absolute career shift for everyone. Look at somebody. You didn't get a career shift. You got a career supercharge.
S6: Oh, absolutely. And a mind shift of the career that I had.
S2: Okay. So really quickly, Hancock Tower, is it called tower? What's it called?
S6: It was the John Hancock building.
S2: Building?
S6: Yes.
S2: Right.
S6: So. Yeah.
S2: So you're up there. God smokes you 3 a.m. or something like that.
S6: To about 215.
S2: To be exact.
S6: 2:15 a.m. central. Exactly. Between traffic reports. Absolutely. Smoked me up and became a Christian as an adult. Cared a lot. A lot of hate, a lot of revenge in me just because of things that had happened through my life, and just keeping that in a backpack like cement and just carry that all my life. And that night, reading the Bible between traffic reports and in Romans eight and just fell to my knees. Let that backpack drop and never look back.
S2: Yeah. Change the way you related to people.
S6: How I related to people. My heart I mean, I truly, physically felt warmth. And as I was just sobbing and had to pull it together to do another traffic report and then sob some more. Yeah.
S2: Yeah.
S6: But yeah.
S2: Okay, so here's the deal, guys. We got a question for you here today. How has your spiritual transformation, genuine faith in Christ, changed the trajectory of your life? And it could have been career. It could have been something else. It could have been you stayed in that career path, but it changed kind of how that thing worked.
S3: Absolutely.
S2: And coming up here in a minute, we're all going to take a shot at this. Okay. We're all going to go after it and go, all right. This is how it changed me. But we want your phone calls right now.
S4: How did being transformed by Christ change your career trajectory? 805 0555 7898 800 555 7898.
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire and everything is Greek to her. Super dei is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Asking you question. How did being transformed by Christ change your career trajectory? Now, it may have shifted you to a whole new job, but it could have changed everything within that kind of career path that you were on. But it changed something. Light them up, guys. Phone lines available eight. Eight. Eight. Excuse me. Let me get you the right number. 800 555 7898 800 555 7898. Scott in Illinois. What do you say Scott?
S7: Good morning Carl. A quick shout out to my wife Lorinda and Lagrange Bible Church.
S2: There you.
S7: Go. And so, um, I gotta say that the age of 27in 1988, I was driving truck and I got home and I continued to drive and truck, but started going to Lagrange Bible and was challenged to go to the missions field by Walt Unander and a member of the members of the Men's Prayer Breakfast and others, but mostly Walt Unander and um, he was sold out on new tribes and uh, their ethos 360 now. But so I went to Brazil, and before I went to Brazil, I met my wife at Lagrange, at, um, New Tribes Bible Institute in Waukesha, and we got married after we graduated, and we went to Brazil together for three years. So I never would have been there if I hadn't gotten saved.
S2: Yeah. That's awesome bro. That is so cool. Scott. Boom, brother. That's why we call you the Boom crew. Way to go, my man Tyler in Illinois. What do you say, Tyler?
S8: Hey. Yeah, so I was saved in 2012 after living a pretty hellish lifestyle. Um, addicted to drugs. Similar to you, Kyle. But in 2000, uh, I was working as a butcher at the time. That's a small slaughterhouse in Michigan.
S2: Yeah.
S8: And God just started to transform my life. And he called me to be a counselor. And I graduated from Moody in 2018, went back to grad school and became a therapist. And that's where I'm working today in Evanston as a therapist.
S2: Wow. From a butcher to a therapist, a chef.
S3: That's so cool.
S6: Story.
S2: Bro. Dog. Way to go. Boom, brother.
S6: Yeah.
S2: Oh, I love this question, man. We've never asked this before.
S4: No, we're asking you this morning. How did being transformed by Christ change your career trajectory? 800 555 7898 (800) 555-7898.
S1: A basketball mom who's mastered the dad joke. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Okay, guys, um, got a question for you. And this is so much fun asking you to pour it on here. You might think, oh, boy, you got too many callers. We're ready for you. 805, 55, 78, 98. What's the question, Ali?
S4: How did being transformed by Christ change your career trajectory? 805 55. 78. 98.
S2: Yeah, young thunder man. Give em your story, I love this.
S3: Yeah. So my career didn't change because I'm in the same job, but my career changed. So I was born into a Christian home. I was a son of a pastor. Ministry life was very familiar to me, very comfortable to me. That's why it wasn't hard to go to Moody Bible Institute or work on Moody Radio and not know Jesus. I believed Jesus existed and that he died for my sins, that he was my Savior, but I just didn't really have the desire to follow him in my life. But I still knew all the stuff so I could come on here and I could talk about it. Be pretty convincing sometimes to convince myself. Sometimes I wasn't trying to deceive anybody. I didn't know, and When I came to Jesus, not just saying I believe you exist and that you died for me, but that I give my life to you. Everything changes. I can get up and when I'm driving into work in the morning, I can pray. God, help me to glorify you today in the way that I work.
S2: So.
S3: Good. And so I'm doing the same ministry work, but I'm doing it with a with a heart that is for God, a heart that's not for Jonathan, a heart that is wanting to bless others and exalt his name through everything that I say and do.
S2: Beautiful. How did being transformed by Christ change your career trajectory? We got time to get in a couple of a couple more callers here. 800 555 7898 805 55 7898 super day. You got a story and a half?
S6: Yeah. I mean, God changed me. Absolutely. I mean, just things that I experienced through my life. I just carried a lot of hatred. I carried a lot of revenge. Um, sarcasm. Just things were commodity. People were commodity. Commodity. I mean, yeah, I had some close friends, but I just carried a lot in my heart. And, um, it was a lot of anger and darkness in my heart. And I carry that well into adulthood. And God just used. It was an overnight shift. I was doing traffic reports in, in here in Chicago, uh, top of a very famous building called the John Hancock Building at the time. And between traffic reports, I spirit led, took the Bible in to read something to read during the overnight and so convicted in Romans eight, so convicted in Romans eight that nothing can separate me from the love of Christ, and to know that I could be loved unconditionally, that that love was there for me. That was such a mind blowing concept for me and my experiences. That was my changing point. Was that love, that power of love of Christ to go to the cross for me, to want to spend eternity with me. To know that that love is never changing. No matter what I do, I am still loved. That just blew circuits for me and I just fell on my knees bawling and said, you know what? I'm done on. I am done on the hamster wheel, I am done, I am done, I everything I did for myself, I went in the wrong direction. The wrong relationships. Just wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. And I just surrendered it all, put my hands up, physically cried, gave it to him and I seriously felt a warmth and I felt cement come off my back. It was amazing. Amazing experience and from then on just yes, I stayed in radio. Absolutely. But how I did my job, why I did my job, and most importantly, how I acted towards those I worked with changed immensely. I mean, I even went back to people and apologized.
S3: For.
S6: Treating them the way I did treat them. That's awesome. I mean, I was a manager with no like, ah, it was very black and white. How I managed and I apologized to those who I was able to like. Man, I am sorry. You know your value.
S2: How was that received?
S6: Mixed.
S2: Yeah, because some had a wait and see. It's like right, who took over this woman who took over?
S6: It did cost me a position.
S2: It did.
S6: It did eventually cost me a position. It really did. But I just kept working with joy and I just kept working. I knew the Lord had me there, and people began to see a difference in me, and it just changed relationships and it was amazing. Yes, some were obviously skeptical. Skeptical. Skeptical. There we go. And others? Yeah. Just going. Okay. Wow. You know, in that situation. But just kept going at it. And then eventually the Lord just opened the door for me to come here to Moody. And here I am years later.
S2: It's beautiful.
S6: And God, I am so humbled and so beyond blessed. I am very grateful for where I'm at and what I get to do and why I get to do it for the people, the boom crew, the listeners.
S2: Here's how this relates to you today. In one of about three different ways. And you know what? I feel compelled to do this right now. Here's one way. Some of you have been in church, but you've never been in Christ. Like Young Thunder was in radio, but he wasn't in Christ. Hard to do Christian radio when you're not in Christ.
S4: Yeah.
S2: With the kind of power. Young Thunder does it now. And so some of you have this absolute salvation. Hallucination. You think you see something in you that is not there. You're not born again. That's a reality. Jesus said many would be in that boat. Don't wait till the end to find out. And don't let pride hold you back. Oh, I know the tendency is to think, well, think, well, I did this and this and this and this is what I'm doing right now. Forget what you're doing. I got one simple question for you. Is it Christ in you, the hope of glory. Is it his life in you that's fueling you, or are you living it by your bootstraps? Friend, today is a day of salvation. This is for you. I'm going to focus on that one group. The other two groups are you're born again and, and and you've not leveraged that career choice that you're in to for all that God has for you. For some of you, you're hearing this right now and you're like, oh boy, young Thunder, Super Story. And the other two callers that we just had, Tyler and Scott from the boom crew, you're like, oh my goodness, God's got a career change for me. Those are great. But for some of you, you're not in Christ. And so your career trajectory is being propped up and manifested by your own juice. And you don't even know what you're missing out on the life that is found in Jesus. So I'm just asking you today. Is today the day, my friend, that you're going to follow Jesus for the first time and the Spirit of God is speaking to you right now. And you're like, I've never heard that voice before, and it's almost audible. And he's saying, come to me, you're weary, you're heavy laden, and take my yoke on you. Learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart. You're going to find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. That's what Jesus is saying to you today. It's time to be born again. You're saying, Carl, I'm there. Join me in a prayer right now. Right now. Just a cry of the heart, Jesus, today I give you all my life, my career, my resources, my time, talent, treasure every bit of it. I laying it down at the foot of Jesus. I give you my life today. I acknowledge, I confess I'm a sinner and I need a Savior. His name is Jesus. Today I surrender everything I am to Jesus Christ. Tell him that. Just shout it out. Driving at home, at work. Just shout it out. Give it all to you God. Today I repent, I turn around, I'm no longer following even a religious scheme, even a cultural vibe. Today I followed the Savior of the world. And I pray this over you. In Jesus name, Amen. If this is you, I want you to do something right now. We're all about helping you take your next step with Jesus. For some of you, this is a first step. We got a great resource. I'm asking you right now, grab your phone right now, we're going to auto response out a link that has three embedded links. And in those links you're going to find great resources, right Ali. What are the three things they're going to find.
S4: You're going to find help to find a church. You're going to find what to look for in a Bible and an opportunity to get a resource that we're going to send to you to your home. That's going to give you some encouragement.
S2: Yeah, it's going to it's going to absolutely fuel you up. So here's what we've got to have you do right now. Text the word new to 800 555 7898. Text new to 800 555 7898. Just that one word. New to 800 555 7898. I know we need some time, so I'm blowing out news that's coming up here. We're getting rid of that. Okay. Right now this is more important. Just text new to 800 555 7898. And you are now born again because of your proclamation that Jesus is my leader. I'm repenting. I'm turning around. Look at him pouring in here. 74.996. 1776 3840 7413 1318 5604. Keep pouring it on here, guys. Today you're saying Jesus is my leader. Jesus is my savior. Carl. He's saving my life right now. 0922. Just text the word new right now when you can, to 805 five. Five. 78. 98. Gotta keep it right here. Ali, shout them out here.
S4: We've got. Thank you. 20 1267 and zero two, 73, 7568 and 7568.
S2: How sweet is this? Wow.
S4: 8932. Just came in 1760.
S2: Just praising God. And by the way, if you're crying tears right now, that's I get it. It's gonna happen.
S6: Great place to be.
S2: Great place to.
S6: Be. It really is.
S2: 1251 welcome to the family. Just text the word new when you can. To 800 555 7898. Wow. This is. We are messengers. Welcome to the family. We'll shout out more numbers when we get back.
S1: You can take him out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of him. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Shout out a couple more here. I don't know where we left off exactly, but 1996, 91, 53, 56, 98, 88, 57. A lot of people surrendering to Jesus today. Ali.
S4: Yes. 56, 98, 8857, 1251, 94, 67 1760 if we missed you, apologies. God sees you. Hopefully you got that link.
S2: Yes. Grateful for what he's doing in you coming up here in just a moment, man. We're praising God. You want to know who you are in Jesus? Boy, have we got something for you. Philip miller coming up. This is Toby Mac. It's called faithfully. God is faithful, isn't he?
S4: Is faithful. Indeed.
S1: He was sharing the gospel on the radio. And then he got saved. Young thunders in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: So get back from vacation. You learn a lot when you're away. One is you better have ID when you're going through different checkpoints. You better have ID. I mean, it's amazing, isn't it? I mean, goodness sakes, if you don't have, what's the new ID called the real ID. Oh, yeah. Real ID as opposed to what, by the.
S4: Way, fake ID.
S2: Well, the world are we doing here? So I didn't have the real ID, but I had a passport. Could you hold on to that? Right. Because that's who you are. Is my face is on there. And there's my number. And it's. I was game from Homer Alaska. And it's got it all right down there. But you got to have it. This whole ID stuff is important when it comes to who we are in Jesus. Ali.
S4: There was a movie that was popular a couple years ago, and I can picture the scene. And this woman, she grabs a hold. She's a nanny for this little girl. And she grabs a hold of the little girl's face, and she looks at her deep in her eyes and she says. She says, you is strong, you is smart, you is important. And it kind of became a meme. And it was her trying to speak identity into this little girl and tell her that she was strong, smart and important. Those were her big three. We've got a special guest, Philip miller, joining us right now. You have a big three, and it's a little different from that popular phrase out of the movie.
S9: Yeah. So, you know, when we look at the Bible, there's three big core identity needs that lie in the heart of each one of us, and that is we need significance, we need security, and we need satisfaction. And the reality is, all three of those things we're meant to find in God, in our relationship with him as his children. And if you think about it, Jesus at his baptism, you know, the God the Father says, this is my son. Significance, right? He's beloved. He's we're secure in his love. Jesus is secure in the father's love and in him. I'm well pleased. Right. There's there's satisfaction there. And so the reality is, if we are in Christ, those statements actually apply to us as well, that we are God's children. We are beloved in him. We he is well pleased over us for Jesus sake. And so the deep identity that we all long for to matter, for significance, to feel safe in the universe, to be secure, to be delighted and happy in the world. To be satisfied. Those deep identity needs are met in God as our father, and we are his beloved children. That's where our real, deep, true identity lies.
S2: Philip miller again. Our guest right now, pastor of the Moody Church. You've still got the up there, right? I mean, it's got. Oh, yeah.
S9: The Moody church. Yeah.
S2: I love that. Philip, here's what I love. I think if most people are talking about who we are in Christ, they go, okay, um, I'm significant. That's good. I'm secure. That's good. But I am satisfied. I'm not so sure that makes a list. Why is that so important?
S9: We're made to rejoice. We're made to be happy like God. God is, um. You know, you read the Psalms and you see things like delight yourself in the Lord, or at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Right. There's abundant promises that God is the fountain of our satisfaction. We're made for him. We're made to come alive and and find joy. That's what the woman at the well was looking for in all those failed relationships. And Jesus said, I'm the real deal, right? So we were made for the Lord himself. And here's what happens, Carl, I think we wake up in the universe. We're made for God. We're made to have these deep identity needs met in relationship with him. But we wake up estranged in the universe. And so we wake up functionally as orphans, and we go out and we fend for ourselves and we think, well, I've got to get significant security and satisfaction on my own. I've got to go find it somewhere else. And so we look for anything that will give us promises that sound like they're plausible. And so we look to career and romance and relationships and vacations and all the things that promise to make us happy and significant and safe. And of course, all those things fail their idols, and they will never deliver what God alone can give. And so our orphan hearts, though, create these like habitual patterns, these muscle memories of like how to cope through life in the universe and find identity on on our own. And it never works. And so then at the end of the day, we come back and we say, wait a minute, maybe, maybe God is the one we were made for all along.
S2: Maybe God had something to say here.
S9: Yeah. And here's the thing. Even as Christians, followers of Jesus, here's what I think. What happens? I think we have so much muscle memory from living as orphans that even though we confess Jesus as Lord, we believe in the gospel. We have this deep muscle memory, these habits of a lifetime that have programmed us, as it were, to live as orphans, even though we have the resources of being children of God at our fingertips. And part of sanctification growing in Christ is learning to retrain that muscle memory, so that we learn to look to God for our significant security and our satisfaction, instead of all the other stuff that that are the false promises out there.
S2: Oh my goodness. Phillip miller here with us, lead pastor of the Moody Church downtown Chicago. Coming up here, I'm going to pin you, pastor. Here we go. How does this work for you? Because here's the truth a lot of people just want to know, is anyone else like me, pastor Miller, just like you. Coming up.
S1: Your shot of hope to help you through the day. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: With us right now. Phillip miller. He's pastor of the Moody Church downtown Chicago. All right, I promised it. Now we got to deliver. Pastor, we all live this right. We can all get on tilt. And I love your analogy. Living as orphans. And we have a memory muscle of living as orphans. That is powerful. But how does this work for you? You've been kicked in the teeth, you've been sucker punched before, and you've got to regroup around your identity.
S9: So here's what here's my thesis I think for, you know, these categories, I've given significant security satisfaction. I think one of those for most people is a primary longing. We need all three. But I think for one of those is for most of us going to be dominant. So for me, it's significance. I want to matter. I want to know that I count. I want to make a difference. I want people to say, man, Philip, you know, that guy's significant, right? So that's the deep longing in my heart. What I learned as a child was that, you know what? If I got good grades, if I scored a goal in soccer, I would get applause. I would get affirmation. And so I learned this is the formula. If I want significance, I got to get it from people. And so I'm going to perform and I'm going to win. And then I'm going to get the approval and the applause. And that's going to give me the significance my heart is longing for. That was my orphan hearted strategy for living. And here's the reality that echoes into all kinds of problems in my life, right? Like, like if you have to win all the time, it makes you a really bad person. Like, because you'll cut corners, you'll do whatever it takes to get ahead, and you'll be a really lousy loser. Like you will not be able to handle it if you don't get the applause. And it doesn't work. Like you cannot come in last place, right? And so it doesn't make you very loving. It makes you very needy as a human being because you're not just doing things. You're getting identity from the things you're doing. And so you have way too much of your self wrapped up in your pursuits. And it just makes everything unhealthy, right? So for me as as a pastor, this is honestly Carl, this is how it works in ministry, I think for a lot of pastors is like, if people are coming, if attendance is rising, if programs are working. If the budget is balanced, then God must love me. Instead of looking to God for my significance and resting in the fact that he delights in me for Jesus sake, and that I'm his child and that nothing can take that away. And like, that's the highest level of significance I could ever want. I'm a child of God. Instead of resting in that, what I've done is I've. I've become an orphan that's looking for that significance in my ministry. And now the ministry itself is not just a thing I do for Jesus. It's something I'm trying to get my identity from. And so it goes toxic on me and it destroys me. And of course, it can never give me what I what I want. And that's where I think, you know, you can feel it in your own soul. That's just how ministry can become an idol. And you can end up really getting toxic as a human being because you're you're living for the wrong stuff, right? So for me, I've got to get up every morning and say, God, I thank you that you love me because you love me. Help me to serve you today from that acceptance and not for it. Wow. I'm not trying to get identity from my ministry. I'm pouring my identity out into my ministry because my identity is rooted somewhere else. It's rooted in my relationship with God.
S4: Philip miller, our guest right now, pastor of the Moody Church. This framework, as a child of God, I am significant. As a child of God, I am secure, I am satisfied. Thanks for honestly sharing what it looks like in your own heart of when you're not secure in this significance. Quick thought for those listening. What might it look like for those who are primarily searching for security or satisfaction and struggling to find it in Christ?
S9: Yeah, it's interesting because there's people in my life that are wired this way. Like, I have a friend and she's a security person. She just wants to feel safe in the world. You know, that's her top value. And so it's a slightly different set of resources. They're all in the gospel. The gospel is the same, but the set of the resources you metabolize are a little bit different. So I'm I'm looking for significance. I'm like, where does God validate and give me a sense of identity that says he matters, right? That's what I'm looking for. This friend of mine is looking for security. So different verses will appeal. Like the Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. Like he makes me lie down in green pastures. He restores my soul. He leads me beside still waters like his rod and staff. They comfort me like the fact that God is with me always. He will never leave me or forsake me. That I'm perfectly safe in his arms in this universe. That nothing ultimately can take me down because I'm secure in his love forever, right? Even death itself cannot disrupt the bond that I have with my Savior. Those are deeply securing truths that help us remember that we really are safe and that like a medical diagnosis is not the end of the story, you know? And so you can face all kinds of storms in life if you know you're safe in the arms of the Lord.
S2: It dawns on me that the rich young ruler was orphaned by his wealth. Yes. He was not secure in Christ. He did not lean into that so we can get orphaned. Insecurity in weird, funky things that are actually blessings from God. But not him. Right, Philip?
S9: Yeah. So, you know, zooming out here, all three of these deep soul needs significant security satisfaction. I think when we're an orphan hearted mode, they mainly attach to three things people, power or possessions. Yes. And and those three things people power and possessions. They work for each of those three things. So if you actually think about it, there's nine sort of permutations here, if you will. So and what that means is that you can actually be looking to, let's say, possessions. Let's say you want a new car. So if you're a significance guy, you're probably thinking, I need a new car because that's a status symbol. It's going to show the world I've made it. If you're a security person, you might need a new car because you don't want your you don't want to break down on the road. It's a safety thing for you. Or if you're a satisfaction person, you're probably buying the new car because you want to treat yourself. I deserve to be happy. I worked hard for this, and you know I deserve a little treat in my life, right? So here we are buying a car. It's the same action, but deep down it's doing different things for our soul.
S4: Pastor Philip miller, our guest right now, we want you to get this in front of you. This is a great little printout. You can download it on your phone and keep it on your your device, but I would highly recommend if you can get to a printer, print it out so you have a hard copy. Just text identity to 855 five 7898. Text identity to 855 five 7898.