S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick. This is Moody Radio's Bible study across America. Normally we talk about your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life, but this is a special edition of Open Line. It's a pre-recorded one. We are here at the summit on Opposing anti-Semitism at the campus of Moody Bible Institute. And because of that, we had to pre-record. So don't call with your question today. Today, if you have a question, what you can do is go to our website, Open Line radio.org. You'll see a link that says Ask Michael a question. You can click on that and post your question there, and it'll go in the mailbag for weeks, next week or the week after. We'll get to it before too long. But today, just listen. No calls. uh, we're going to be talking with some people that are participating here in the summit opposing anti-Semitism. We're recording it the day before the summit. So we're while you're listening to this broadcast, will be in Tory Gray Auditorium, uh, engaging together on the summit opposing anti-Semitism. So, uh, let me just mention who our guests are today. Joining me first is Doctor William Washington. A lot of people who listen to Open Line know Doctor Washington, because William and I were good friends. And he's always asking people, are you a kitchen table partner? Amen. He's the dean of enrollment and the dean of student life at Moody Bible Institute. And my good friend, I'm so glad you're here with me.
S2: Great to be here today.
S1: Yeah. And so you have a special role in the summit. Your role will be to be the emcee kind of make everything go. And I guess you'll be giving me the signal when I'm talking too long. Is that the plan?
S2: I think that's one of the rules of engagement that will be participating in together.
S1: So now, uh, I'll mention a couple of other guests that we have, uh, Rachel from Tel Aviv, from actually Givatayim. Right? Yes. Uh, Rachel is here. She's a moody graduate. From what year?
S3: Oh, I graduated in 2002. Wow. I know time flies.
S1: It's amazing. So Rachel was my student in Jewish studies. I've known her and her family forever, uh, and, uh, for her whole life, actually. And I'm. I'm so grateful that she came to Moody and, uh, and now is living in Israel. And we're going to talk about that in just a bit. Okay. And then also joining us at this hour is a current student at Moody Bible Institute. His name is Michael. So Michael, I'm so glad that you're here with us. Uh, hello? Uh, I'm. I'm very happy you're in your second year at Moody. I am, yeah. And, uh, what's your major?
S4: What can it be besides Jewish studies? That's right.
S1: And where are you from in Israel?
S4: I'm from Netanya.
S1: Netanya, which is just north of Tel Aviv.
S4: Yeah, just like half an hour north. Yeah.
S1: So it's part of the Tel Aviv metropolitan area that is in the center of Israel. Now, do you speak French?
S4: Thankfully, no.
S1: Oh, well, because in Netanya I felt like when I was there, everyone was a French, uh, a Jewish person from France who had moved to Israel. Is that what you found to be the case, too?
S4: It is the case. But I do speak Russian. And there's also a big, big Russian Russian population there.
S1: Yeah, Russian Jewish population.
S4: I fall into that group.
S1: That's right. Okay, good. Well, we're going to have a little conversation here. I'm so glad that you're here, but I wanted to start with with you, William. Uh, now, you wouldn't expect. I wouldn't have expected when I came to Moody, that I would find this person who cared so deeply about Israel and the Jewish people. Where did that come from?
S2: Well, if truth be told, I was introduced to Jewish people through the medium that my grandparents provided for me by a show called Sanford and Son.
S1: Oh, really? Oh, funny.
S2: Sanford and Son. And so, I don't know if our listeners will remember, uh, Fred G. Sanford, who maintained a junkyard in South Central Los Angeles. But throughout those episodes, Jewish people, Jewish heritage would show up consistently. And then I would ask my grandparents about it, and my grandparents had a high view of Jewish people. They would tell me, son, Jewish people have a lot in common with African Americans. They've had to face some difficult, adverse times in their history. And we have a high level of love and respect for them. They were slaves. We were slaves, and we all recognize the importance of sticking together. Wow. And so my grandparents even had Jewish friends in their community back in the day. Wow. And then from there, well, you.
S1: Know, I just think it's so interesting because Fred Sanford was played by Redd Foxx, who was, you know, kind of a well-known comedian. But I think they had that little Jewish element on that show because he had worked with so many Jewish comedians, and that was his connection to them. And he brought them on his show and had all those discussions with them. Don't you think that's the source of that on the program?
S2: Oh, absolutely. And, you know, blacks and Jews had a unique relationship during that time because there were things prohibiting blacks and Jews from participating in some of the mediums of the day. And so they came together to do some great things. And my grandparents realized that, and they taught me at an early age, they even talked about Sammy Davis Jr. Of course, you know, and said, hey, that's Sammy. And guess what? He's Jewish too.
S1: Yeah, he converted to Judaism. He was. And he was the consummate entertainer. So then you were going to say there was something else that had an effect as you grew older?
S2: Oh, yeah. So my last two years of high school were in Highland Park, Illinois. So I went to Highland Park High School, which is a predominantly Jewish community, and I made friends there. I visited friends during their bar mitzvahs. I had an opportunity to eat in their homes. And one of the things I loved about being in that environment. Hey, not only did we have the Christmas holidays, but we also got school off for the Jewish holidays. And so it was it was a great experience for me. It brought me back to what my grandparents taught me in terms of respecting people and loving and making great relationships. And that's what happened during my high school years. And then to top it all off, put the cherry on the top. I've had the privilege to go to Israel twice, and both of those just really reshaped my life, my mindset, and just put me in a touch more with my Jewish brothers and sisters. And that's why it's so important for us to stand with them during this time. Wow.
S1: Thank you. Wow. That's that's. I never would have thought that Sanford and Son would have that kind of impact. That's phenomenal. So that's great. Uh, now, uh, Doctor Washington mentioned mentioned Israel. Rachel. you you were in Israel. Uh, you live there? Uh, you're not originally from Israel. When did you move?
S3: I moved about 15 years ago. And it's definitely home. It's the right choice for me. I'm happy I did it.
S1: Yeah. I remember when you were a student. You were. You were really focused. I'm going to move to Israel. And. And then you did. I lived in New York for a while and then moved off to Israel. So. And you could.
S3: Decide which one's better. New York, Israel, they're both, you know. Yeah.
S1: When people ask me where I'm from, I always say I'm from the Holy Land, Brooklyn. But, uh, the the thing is, Israel is is a little bit different now than, than even New York in terms of the Jewish community. There's a lot of anti-Semitism exploding in New York City right now, which doesn't seem possible. It's considered one of the greatest Jewish cities in the world, if not the greatest Jewish city outside of Israel. And yet there's a lot of anti-Semitism. But I wanted to hear from you. What was it like? You know, we we've been reading the news reports. We know all that happened on ten over 723. But you were in Israel at the time, were you not?
S3: I was, yes.
S1: Tell me about that day.
S3: It was an early morning Shabbat when suddenly the sirens started to go off. Quiet morning. It was a holiday. A very sacred holiday. It was Simchat Torah, which is the day when you celebrate the giving of the Torah. And it was the end of.
S1: The completion of the reading cycle.
S3: Yeah, we started over again. Genesis. It was the end of the High Holidays. The children were supposed to go to school the next day. They had just had holidays, and suddenly the whole country wakes up to a start to the sound of these horrendous noises in your head of move fast, go to the shelters. And everyone went and everyone's confused, what, 630 in the morning? There's sirens. And it didn't stop. It happened all day long. Wow. And this was all over the south of Israel, as well as going up into the center of the country. These are long range rockets, and the news didn't quite keep up. Yet it was the Sabbath. You don't really work on the Sabbath, but suddenly everyone's called up and trying to respond. Newscasters, ambulances, police. What's going on? It was just an utter state of confusion. Um.
S1: And when did you hear about the massacre in the South?
S3: I there was rumors through social media, through WhatsApp, but it wasn't really being talked about on the news yet. And remember, two people who are very religious will not be turning on the television that day or looking at their phones. It was a lack of communication.
S1: Partially. It was very.
S3: Difficult. Yeah. So really only until the end of the Sabbath on that Saturday night as well as into Sunday, did people start to realize the extent that this was it was not just an incursion.
S1: Yeah. That the, the very usually you think, oh, it's a little terrorist incursion. It may have done the little thing that this was a full scale attack.
S3: Coordinated in multiple places. Yeah, it was unheard of. It was utterly surprising. Yeah.
S1: And air with those paragliders, paragliders and sea from the Mediterranean and land and trucks. Uh, just horrific. Uh, if anyone doesn't know, more than 1200 people murdered that day by Hamas terrorists as they surged across first, I heard there were 3000, uh, today, uh, recently I've, I've heard some estimates that say, well, maybe we were wrong. Maybe it was up to 6000 terrorists that that broke through and captured 251 people, murdered over 1200, uh, and maimed many more. Uh, it was a horrific day, one of the worst days in Jewish history. The worst day, certainly since the Holocaust. And, uh, Israel, of course, responded. And we we've seen this war for the last year. We're going to talk to Michael about what it means to go to war about this thing. But it's part of the reason we are holding the summit for opposing anti-Semitism, because what has happened is instead of sympathy for the Jewish people, what has broken out is full scale anti-Semitism against Israel and against Jewish people in the diaspora. It is it's terrible. And but there is still hope, because there's hope in what the Lord is going to do through this. So we're going to come back in a moment with my guests as we talk about the summit opposing anti-Semitism and what we can do. This is Michael Ray Dolnick. You're listening to Open Line. Are you looking to deepen your grasp of Paul's powerful epistles, the Moody Bible Commentary excerpt on Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians is your key to unlocking these treasured books with clear explanations and practical insights. This resource illuminates Paul's teachings on grace, unity, joy, and the supremacy of the Lord Jesus. Request your copy of this Moody Bible Commentary excerpt. When you give to open line, call (888) 644-7122 or visit Open Line radio.org. Everyone has questions about God, the Bible and living out our faith. And that's why we're here on Open Line. We take your questions and provide answers straight from Scripture. But we couldn't do this without you. When you become a kitchen table partner, you're not only keeping this program on the air. Every weekend, you'll also receive exclusive benefits like personal audio messages from me that offer biblical encouragement. Become a kitchen table partner today by calling (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org. Welcome back friends. This is Michael Wright Zelnick. You're listening to Open Line. It's usually the Bible study across America. We sit around the kitchen table, the radio, kitchen table, and we talk about the scriptures. But today it's special. It is a pre-recorded special event because at Moody Bible Institute we are hosting the summit on opposing anti-Semitism. It is happening right now while you're listening, but we pre-recorded this edition of Open Line. I have some special guests who are participating. Doctor William Washington is here with me, Rachel from the Tel Aviv area, and Michael, also from the Tel Aviv area. Rachel, a graduate of Moody Bible Institute, and Michael, a current student at Moody Bible Institute. Now, what we've talked about so far is William Washington's passion for Jewish people. And really what you said the cherry on top was going to Israel and meeting people twice. Yeah. And then, of course, Rachel, you've lived there for now, 15 years. Of course. You visited many times before that, But then you talked about some of the horror of what happened on that day. More than a little bit more than a year ago, on ten over 723, with the attack by Hamas, that brutal attack with the the violence, that sexual violence and, uh, just the, the the brutality of shooting children in front of their parents. Parents in front of their children. And beyond belief. What? What was done? And now, Michael, you were a student at Moody. You were in your first semester when that happened, right?
S4: I was yeah, I just arrived in the States from Israel, settled in, and then boom. Yeah.
S1: And so what happened for you?
S4: For me, I remember we came back from, uh, Friday night dinner. It's a Jewish tradition to hold Friday night dinners, receive the Sabbath. Yeah. We came back with friends from the dinner. And I remember sitting in one of our common areas here at Moody. I remember sitting I opened my phone and I see rockets, like notifications about rockets. And I was thinking to myself, ah, this is this is usual. We're used to this. This is fine. Nothing's happening. It's going to be over very soon. But then I remember very, very clearly seeing this, this one video of a woman taking a video throughout through her curtains because she doesn't want to be seen. And on the street in one of the cities in the south, um, there's a Toyota pickup truck unloading like seven terrorists with AK 47 seconds and, uh, bulletproof vests and but dressed not like Israeli military, but clearly somebody who's here to harm you. And they just got off the the truck and just went to the different houses and started shooting. Wow. And that memory is just stuck with me. Wow. From from then.
S1: So obviously you were here at Moody. What could you do? There's nothing you could do. So, uh, just a few weeks later, you were called up to the military?
S4: Yes, I was called up immediately. Immediately with everybody. Um, but I thought, oh, it's not that serious. In the beginning, we just did not, as Rachel said, we just did not know what was happening. And then when I realized the the the scale, the scope of this tragedy of this event. Yeah. I decided that I'm leaving my studies and just going back home to serve with my unit. I'm a tank commander in my military profession. Um, so I did that, and I fought for three months. Um, in the Gaza Strip.
S1: So, I mean, obviously we saw a lot of video on CNN and different, uh, TV stations, uh, cable stations. Uh, so what was it like? Uh, I mean, I the imagery that that the way the media portrayed it is as if Israel were was the Israeli Israel Defense Forces was somehow looking for civilians to hurt them. What was your experience in Gaza?
S4: The first thing that comes to mind is that it was very boring. It's very not exciting. But to answer your question, I think the main thing is that what speaks to it the strongest is that I did not see with my eyes any civilians at all who were fighting in the north of the Gaza Strip. We were going on like routine patrols and like on attacks on Some neighborhoods there to make sure that there's no terrorists there and to clear it out. It's a war in the end, and I did not see any civilians.
S1: That's because Israel had given maps and directions to tell the civilians to get out. Right.
S4: Every time before an attack, in an unprecedented way that no other army in the world does. Israel warns all of the civilians in a certain area to evacuate, to leave. They it's even more than that because Israel gives them directions where to go and where it is going to be safe, letting them escape, but also risking terrorists escaping with them.
S1: So you know that what you said. My son served in the IDF. Not not in a war zone, but he was in a combat unit, and he had to do patrols back when the there were a lot of Incursions from the the. When the Muslim Brotherhood was controlling Egypt, there were a lot of terrorist incursions where he was stationed, and there was a lot of patrols. And he I asked him what it was like. He said it was boring.
S4: Yeah. That's just the reality of being a soldier. Yeah. Nothing happens most of the time. Yeah.
S1: I thought that was interesting that you said the same thing he did. It was boring. You know, just you're doing the patrol you're doing. And then every now and then he says, mostly boring. And then every now and then it becomes more than exciting. Yeah. And the other thing, and I wonder if this is true with you in your experience, he says that all the training kicks in. So you just go on. You do what you're supposed to do in the situation. You don't get all hyper. You've been trained enough that you know what to do. Did you find that to be the case?
S4: There's definitely an adrenaline rush. Yeah, when something happens. But Mostly, yes, I would say. I would say that is the the experience, especially as be as tank as people who operate a tank, soldiers who operate a tank. We are trained on so many routine procedures that we just kick in immediately and we just act, act according to the procedures that we've been trained, trained upon for years and years and years.
S1: That's exactly what he said. Same thing. Yeah. So, uh, well, now here at Moody, we had two students. We're going to talk to the second student that went off that was called up another Israeli student. Uh, but what were we doing here at Moody when students were called up? Uh, I think that that I've noticed that you were very concerned.
S2: Very concerned, uh, Doctor Melnick, because, unfortunately, I've had to. experience death when it invades a college community, and the likelihood that these two were going to the front lines and the ramifications that would occur. Put me in a mode of thinking, okay, how do we prepare the community in the event something adversely happens? And so prior to both guys leaving, we had a solemn assembly time in chapel, uh, which we communicated that Michael and Sergei would be leaving. And I just remember seeing the faces of our students and the emotions that they were carrying and how.
S1: Much they wanted to pray for them, how much they cared for.
S2: They prayed for them and cried and constantly sent me emails when they were away, uh, asking for updates. And, uh, while they were there, I got those two guys to do a video with Michael and Sergei standing in front of his, uh, tank and played it in chapel, and the place just went up for grabs when they saw him and recognized that they were safe. But, you know, I just admire their hearts, their bravery, their commitment to their country. And I also admire our students who really prayed for their safety and for the state of Israel and for everyone who is being affected by this, the non-combatants, um, who were being impacted by Hamas. Yeah.
S1: We prayed a lot for the civilians because we care. We believe everyone's made in the image of God, and we believe that God and I know Israel cares. They don't want civilians to suffer. And we were here at Moody not only praying for the success of Israeli soldiers, but that they would successfully find Hamas and not and not and civilians wouldn't get into harm's way. We we prayed that quite a bit here at Moody. And I think that that was I think that's, uh, speaks well of our students that that's what they were concerned with. Uh, so what surprised you most, Rachel, after 1007? Uh, was it was it the eruption of anti-Semitism? Did you expect Israel to to have a sympathetic ear in society after that?
S3: That's a very good question, because you have October 7th, and we talked previously about the hardships and the, uh, the depth of worry and concern and surprise of that day. But to answer the question, October 8th was even worse because as soon as we turned to the next day, you see pockets of anti-Semitism start to erupt throughout the world. Why? Where's the support for Israel in the time of coming beside her in the midst of the massacre? And that was the opposite, I heard.
S1: I heard actually, at Harvard, the student group blamed Israel for the attack, which was shocking. A consortium of student groups did that, but mostly from the governments of the world. We heard sympathy, and I was on the radio on October uh, seventh or eighth. I don't remember when it was, but I guess it was the seventh because it was after, uh, here in the States. It was it was like the eighth in Israel, but the seventh here. And, uh, I said to some folks I was with, yeah, their sympathy. Now we hear it now, but give it a couple of weeks. And sure enough, uh, the attitudes changed as soon as Israel began to deal with the terrorist problem and to deal with to respond. Then all of a sudden Israel was at fault. It was it was heartbreaking, but unsurprising to me. It's what I thought, well, we're going to come back and we're going to talk to one other person, and then we're also going to talk about what can we, what kind of hope we have, what kind of encouragement we can have in the Lord at this time. Stay with us. You're listening to Open Line on the weekend of the summit opposing anti-Semitism. We're so glad that Febc partners with Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick, bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how Far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world at febc. Org on their weekly podcast. Until all I've heard with Ed Cannon, you'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again. You can hear the podcast when you visit febc. Dot org. That's febc.org. And we're back. You know normally we'd be opening the Febc mailbag now and getting your questions. But today is a special day. It's a special pre-recorded edition of Open Line. We are at the summit opposing anti-Semitism, and we have some of the participants here talking about their experience in the last year since, uh, ten seven. Also, Doctor William Washington is here with me, Rachel from Israel, Michael from Israel, and Sergey, also from Israel, in a sense is here, uh, Sergey, another Moody grad.
S5: Oh, yeah. Yeah.
S1: Now that that was a little tough for you. You got called up in your next to last semester, is that right?
S5: It was my last semester. Your last semester? That's it?
S1: Yeah, yeah. So you got called up. You could have said, no, I can't come because I have to finish my last semester of school.
S5: Yes. And because I have a wife. Yeah. I said staying here.
S1: So what did you do?
S5: I couldn't say no. My heart just was broken this day. No. Michael was talking about his experience and seeing that my sister sent me videos in the first day. And when family sends you something like that. My whole family lives in Israel. Same like Michael. I couldn't stay here. This is just broke my heart. So I flew back.
S1: Yeah, you flew back. It was a little tough getting a flight. I know, to get to Israel. But you got it.
S5: Yeah, it was interesting.
S1: Yeah. And? And you served for a couple of months.
S5: So I served with chosen people there. Yes. I worked with humanitarian help as much as possible. Um, when I came to the military, it was a little bit tough to join for me. I do something different from Michael, but, yeah, I did humanitarian help. I saw him a couple of times, which was an encouragement for both of us. It was amazing. So couple people who just came to faith and nobody had a chance to disciple them. So I met with them to read the Bible, prayed together, and delivered food to families that needed it the most because they couldn't leave their home. They were in my city in Ashkelon that are just a couple of miles away from Gaza border. I grew up with this war. It's very close to my home and my heart, and I knew those families, so that was part of the help that I had to do is just help people as much as possible.
S1: So then you I know that you took extensions for your courses. We have a thing at Moody called Fifth Week Extension, and that means you have five weeks to complete your course. Uh, if you get called away, sometimes students become ill in the middle of the semester or something like that. They get the extension. You had the called away to Israel extension. And, uh, Uh, Michael said, I'm going to just start again. But you said, I'll do these extensions, and we really made you work, right to get it done.
S5: I couldn't stay longer. So yes, I did extensions, did the classes, honestly enjoyed it. You know, doing a Daniel Revelation class in the middle of the war kind of put it in perspective.
S1: Yes. That was of course, I was teaching and you were in there. So that was that was kind of fun to to hear from you after, you know, after the semester was over, you got it all done and you graduated and you got back here and you walked. Now, uh, most people I know from Israel go back to Israel almost immediately, but you're you're serving with chosen People ministries. They're the co-sponsor of the summit opposing anti-Semitism. And you're in New York City. Where do you live?
S5: Right. I live in Queens now, which is very exciting in the Jewish neighborhood. What neighborhood? In Forest Hills.
S1: I used to live right near there. Yeah, so And so you're living in New York and now New York. I know the greatest Jewish city in the world. People say you lived in New York, Rachel. Right. I did, yeah, in Queens. I remember, uh, after you graduated from Moody. I lived in Queens, then on Long Island. I grew up in Brooklyn.
S3: Wait, you said it wrong. Long island.
S1: Long island? Yeah. I can go back to my accent if I need to.
S6: We'll have some coffee.
S1: Yeah, yeah. So I was living in Long Island, and, uh. So now, uh, we're here. This is the weekend or Saturday of the summit opposing anti-Semitism I am shocked to see in the news reports all the anti-Semitism in New York City.
S5: It happens a lot.
S1: Yeah, yeah. What kind of stuff?
S5: Well, you see protests. It starts from, you know, people want to protest, wants to bring their opinion and make their voice heard. But all of a sudden that comes into a place where they don't just criticize Israel or say something against Israel. You can see glimpses of haters, Jewish people, just all of a sudden it's like sparking a little bit around the city, but then it's encouraging people for violence. And then you see people around the city throughout the week after the protest was done already throughout the week attacking other people. And there was a literally two weeks ago, a guy in Brooklyn was stabbed because he was wearing a yarmulke and going to a synagogue. And in Chicago, you know the news in my neighborhood. In your neighborhood. Right? Yeah. Well, that's very a.
S1: Shooting in case people haven't heard a shooting of a of a man going to synagogue only because he was going to synagogue. That was the only reason.
S5: Only because he's Jewish. And that's very sad. It's very scary for the Jewish people in America. Now, I think this realization of the growing anti-Semitism is sinking.
S1: You know, what it is is we thought that America is the safest place. It's where we've been the most accepted that Jewish people, you know, that we thought America meant never again when we would say never again after the Holocaust. And now it seems like ever again, ever and ever, always when.
S3: We see this in Israel, this kind of news coming out of stabbings, of protests, of hate. We're shocked that it's happening there. And in a way, many of us feel safer in Israel because we know that we're together as a community and as a nation that will protect us. And many people are scared now to travel and to openly display their Jewishness. And it's appalling that this is happening now in our time and age.
S1: As they should be concerned about traveling. What happened in in Amsterdam well.
S5: Before that was.
S1: That in Amsterdam? Is that where it was?
S5: Yes. It's just like in the last 24 hours. But before that, you know, Rachel said that that people are afraid to travel. I spoke to students in Columbia University and in NYU. They do not put their stars out anymore. They would not wear a necklace with the David star because they're afraid and they understand that. And yes, Amsterdam, there was a soccer game between the Israeli team and the, I think the Amsterdam team or somebody, their Dutch.
S7: Team, I think the.
S5: Dutch team. And then right after that there was pogrom, straight up pogrom. It was very organized. Today we know that because we can see that social media was full of those videos.
S7: Yeah, they.
S1: Brought knives and clubs and assaulted the the Jewish Israelis that were there.
S5: Yes. And the taxi drivers were participating in that. They were sending messages to each other. Hey, I'm picking up those Jewish guys, you know, which is really interesting for me because nobody from them said, we're picking up Israelis. They said, we're picking up Jews.
S7: Yeah, of course.
S5: And that's what that's what we're trying to convey to people. Like it's not about Israel anymore. It's about anti-Semitism towards Jewish people.
S1: Yeah. Now, of course, anti-Semitism, if we think about it biblically breaks God's heart. You know, it says in Isaiah 63, in all their afflictions God says, I was afflicted. He was afflicted. And that breaks God's heart. Psalm 83 says that those who hate the God of Israel express that hatred by hating the people of Israel, the Jewish people. And it's really a reflection of the resentment towards God for having chosen and having a special plan for this people. I think that's that's really what we're talking about when we talk about anti-Semitism biblically and and what is the source of that hatred? Revelation 12 talks about the pursuit of the woman. The woman represents Israel, the Jewish, not the political entity, but the Jewish people it represents. It's symbolic for Israel because we see that she's got the stars and the sun and the moon, just like Joseph from Genesis 37 and Satan, the devil, the the serpent of old pursues Israel to try and persecute her. What does that tell us about anti-Semitism? It's rooted in a satanic hatred of God and of the people he chose. So it's it's heartbreaking. But there's hope, Michael.
S2: And that's why it's so important to have this conference at the Moody Bible Institute. Micah six eight says, what does the Lord require of you, O man? To act justly, to love mercy, and walk humbly before your God? Yeah, we have to act justly in this time of dissonance, of despair and hatred. As Christians, we have a responsibility to stand up and address that and to be people of mercy and walk humbly with God. And how do we do that? We need to walk alongside our Jewish brothers and sisters standing with them saying enough is enough. This cannot continue to happen. Yeah.
S1: So agree with you. Thank you so much for that. We're going to come back and talk about how we can stand up and what we can do. Uh, listening to a whole group of moody people here at the summit and Chosen People Ministries, people as well, at the summit opposing anti-Semitism, our very special pre-recorded program. Stay with us. We're coming right back with more. Some claim Paul is the key person who took the message of the Jewish Messiah. Jesus made it into something Gentile. But Paul is also the one who wrote, brethren, my heart's desire for Israel is for their salvation. Romans ten one chosen people ministries. One of our underwriters wants us all to learn what drove Paul's passion for his own people. They're offering the book The Heart of the Apostle by Rich Freeman, free to all open line listeners. To get this exposition of Romans nine through 11, just go to our website openline. radio.org. Scroll down to the link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your very own free copy of The Heart of the Apostle. Paul, welcome back to Open Line. I'm Michael Ray Dolnick. I'm here with a bunch of guests William Washington, Rachel from Israel, Michael from Israel, Sergei from Israel, and now New York City. Uh, we're here together talking about the summit opposing anti-Semitism, the problem of anti-Semitism, what happened in Israel a year ago and how it's gone on. Uh, Rachel, you've been ministering with with Chosen People Ministries, our co-sponsor of this special summit for a lot of years. But you've been in Israel doing that. What do you see spiritually in Israel now because of what happened on ten over seven?
S3: Well, you know, some of this conversation we've had now has been a bit dark. But I want to remind everyone that even in the midst of this darkness this past year, we've seen such an extraordinary change in people's lives because they've experienced such hardship and such worry and anxiety and depth of concern of what next? How are we going to get out of this? And through that, people have been reaching down deep and soul searching, and it's been very surprising to see people's questions, thoughts, concerns and willingness to talk about Jesus and talk about a God who is loving even in the midst of this. We've seen people come to our ministry center. Chosen people has a work in the Tel Aviv area, and through our Bible studies, or through a worship night, which was once a trickle. The event space is packed, and people are really wanting to come into a safe place to be able to experience some hope. Now, in a way, I like quantity, I like numbers, I like seeing a full room. That's that's nice. But the quality of people's questions and asking for prayer and wanting to continue the dialogue about who Jesus is and how he can be our peace and hope during this time has been incredible, and that's the light that we see during this dark time. You know, one of.
S1: The things that two two things that God uses in bringing people to know him to to know the Messiah, Jesus is either transition when people are in a different state, different place, different, they're disconnected and they start seeking God or trauma. And this ten seven was the most traumatic event, I think, in modern Israel in at least since the the Yom Kippur War 50 years ago. Uh, so God is using the traumatic effects of this to cause people to seek him. You think?
S3: Absolutely. Oh, wow. It's it has not ended. It is even more now, over a year later. Wow.
S1: That's amazing. What are you finding in New York about that, Sergei?
S5: I think people are open. People are seeking same thing like in Israel. I think people all of a sudden trying to think like, okay, what do I grasp in hope for the future? It doesn't have to be like specifically in any country. But where do I find hope? In what? And then when we talk to students, we ask them questions that are more like, do you think peace is possible in general, not specifically about Middle East? And we want to see what is the reaction to those things. And then through those conversations, we see that people are wanting to know God or they're seeking. They're saying, well, we want to have a higher power. But they understand that, yes, there's somebody to submit to and love, and it's God because God can give you this peace.
S7: It's great.
S1: Huh? It's amazing how hearts can open. Uh, I want to ask Michael a question in a minute, but here's a verse, uh, that I think is crucial when we see this ugly head of anti-Semitism arising again. It says rescue those being taken off to death and save those stumbling towards slaughter. If you say. But we didn't know about this, won't he? Who ways the ways hearts consider it, won't he who protects your life know this is a great reminder from Proverbs 2411 and 12. God says, when we see this kind of stuff happening, we need to speak up. Not just speak up, but resist it. Uh, so I'm going to start with you, Michael. What would you like to see? Uh, believers here, followers of Jesus here in America, do about this rising anti-Semitism.
S4: I think you said it very well. I think they need to speak up. But I think in order for them to speak up, they have to get educated. I think if the Jewish people are important, if their faith is important, if there's such a big part of God's plan, like we're seeing in revelation and like we're seeing in the whole Bible, then let's take the time to study a little bit to understand why, to understand why they're hated so much, and to understand the truth about what's going in Israel.
S1: Yeah, it's the craziest hate because it's not like Jewish people did something to deserve it. It's because of the enemy who hates whom God loves. I think that that's really important to understand. Uh, so I agree with you. I think I'll tell you one of the sad things for me, I would like pastors to address this, to speak up about it. I would like people who are preachers to know to educate their churches about the Jewish people. One pastor I mentioned this before in previous hour said that, uh, in New York, when when the anti-Semites come, they're going to have to come through our church because we're going to stand with the Jewish community. And I think more pastors need to educate their people and and help them to see that, uh, is there something you think that you'd like to see come out of this summit or just absolutely believers?
S2: Do I think Doctor Dolnick, our church, uh, the faith family of God, uh, we can't sit on the sidelines anymore. And so a very practical thing that we need to do is that we need to lift our voices up, like Michael said. And how can we do that? By contacting governmental officials, our congressmen and women, and letting them know that what is occurring in our country, in our world, should not and cannot be tolerated, and that we as America, firmly behind the State of Israel, firmly behind and.
S1: Concerned for the Jewish people right here in the United States. I mean, I I'm shocked when I hear these events, and it's almost like sometimes politicians don't even want to speak up about it. I, I was told by someone that one of the most important issues that we have, privileges that we have as American citizens, if you're listening, is to pick up the phone and call the white House and leave our opinion there for the president, whoever he may be, you know, uh, or call our congressman, our senator and our mayor, whoever it might be, if we see these events, speak up and say we want to support those who will oppose anti-Semitism, will take action to protect Jewish people. I think that's a really crucial thing. You know, Nazi Germany people said we better not mix in. Imagine if they had spoken up in mass. Uh, Niemöller said it would have stopped it. It would have stopped it. So we have to take and we have the freedom and the privilege of speaking to our governmental leaders. I think we need to do that. And the.
S2: Responsibility. Don't forget that responsibility. Brothers and sisters in Christ.
S1: Yeah, we have to do that. And, you know, I'm sorry if you missed the summit this time, but, uh, I'm sure you'll be able to hear some of the things that happened in upcoming weeks. So some of the things that were said and some of the things that were done, uh, it's it's a I'm grateful that we have had the summit and that you guys are here to join and participate today as we pre-recorded this special Open Line edition for the summit opposing anti-Semitism. That's the program for the week. Thanks for listening, everyone. We'll be back next week with more of your Bible questions. More questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. Uh, I want to thank Chris Seeger for helping me out today and getting this recorded. And thanks to these wonderful guests for joining me today. Uh, really appreciate that. Keep reading the Bible. And next week we'll talk about it. We'll talk about it and answer your questions. Open line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next week.