S1: We focus in on what's happening now. God focuses in on what happened back then. Why? Because God takes us back so we can see history to comprehend our destiny. Because what he told us about what shall be. He made the promise in history about our destiny.
S2: This is treasure truth with pastor and author James Ford Jr, senior pastor of Christ Bible Church in Chicago. I'm Steve Heller. Glad that you're with us as we continue a message. Have no fear. God is here. And pastor, as you pointed out, God so often may focus in on what happened back then. But what is that back then that you were talking about?
S3: Well, it's what God has done in the past. So in the text that we're going to study, he goes back and tells Israel, you've been in trouble before. Yeah. And so, I mean, you've lost a job before. you've been sick, before you've had problems in your marriage, before your children have acted up before, and so on and on it goes. And what he wants us to realise. If I did it for you back then, I can do it for you now. And so anything that God has done, God can do anything that God can do, God will do. All we have to do is know that he wants to do it for us. And then we stand on what God has said. And so I know I've been without job. I've been, you know, we've had problems in our marriage and all that. And man Lord has just worked things out. And so you, you learn to trust him based on what he's already done.
S2: So you're looking back and saying God proved faithful then I'm not going to doubt him now.
S3: Oh yeah. Well, scriptures even pointed out here's what here's what the scriptures say. How then shall he freely give us all things who have given unto us his son. So it's an argument from the lesser to the greater. You know, this little thing that you're asking for is not as great as my son. So if I gave you the best of heaven, then what's the rest of it? And I think, you know, we look back. He saved our souls from eternal damnation. What could be worse than that? Nothing.
S2: Yeah.
S3: To burn in hell for all of eternity. Now we need something here in the temporal that's going to fade away. You see, argument.
S2: And very logical. Makes a lot of sense when we're able to slow down and think about that rationally and be reminded of that truth. But sometimes, while we're looking back and seeing, okay, God was faithful there, I still have this overwhelming mountain that I'm looking towards. I've got to walk through this pain somehow. What would you say to the person who finds himself in that spot today who says, man, I know God did some cool things for me back then, and I think he's going to do something for me in the future. But man, I don't see how he's going to do this. How do I wait in that?
S3: Well, I hate to get the Bible in this, but now a word from our sponsor. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your path. Proverbs three five and six. Say no more. Enough has been said.
S2: Well, with that, let's open our Bibles to Isaiah chapter 43 as we continue a message. Have no fear. God is here. Here is Pastor Ford.
S1: He says, listen, Israel is.
S3: Moaning and.
S1: Groaning because they're in the storm. He's making them walk. And he says, let me tell you something in four chapters. Fear not, fear not, fear not. Fear not fear. What is.
S3: Seven? God's number for perfection or completion. He said it seven times so that you will know. I don't care what your fear is. Don't be scared. Don't be scared. He's saying I'm not a fair weather friend. I'm a friend that sticks closer than a brother. This passage is pregnant. You know I'm a teacher. Let me just drop it. I ain't going to push it, as my friend Romeo would say. Historically, it refers to God's deliverance from Egypt. Literally, it refers to the Babylonian captivity. Deliverance. Prophetically, it refers to the Great Tribulation, when God fulfills all the rest of the promises that he made to Israel. Ultimately, it focuses on the deliverance of Jesus Christ as our kinsman Redeemer. Typically, it points to the church, and principally and practically it's a great passage for dealing with our fears. So in Isaiah 40 he says, listen, you have foes, you have fears, you have fights. So he's telling us this that your storms are going to take on three entities. People, passions and problems. And then seven times. Fear not, fear not. God says, you know what fear is? What is it? False evidence appearing real. That's what fear is. As a matter of fact, the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Junior said it this way when he was asked, why do you keep going out? Aren't you afraid somebody's going to kill you? He said, ultimately, I think I will. Uh, be be martyred. But he said this. He said fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. Nobody was there. Oh, I love that. Yeah. Fear knocked at the door, faith answered. Wasn't nobody there? And so we need to know that we don't need to be afraid. Now there are seven reasons and seven verses. Here they are. Verse one. He says, you don't need to be afraid because you're the property of God. Uh, verse two, you don't need to be afraid because of the protection from God. Uh, you don't need to be afraid. Verse three, because of the person of God, you don't need to be afraid. Verse four, because of the passion or the love of God. Verse five. You don't need to be afraid because of the presence of God. Verse six, you don't need to be afraid because of the promises of God. In verse seven. You don't need to be afraid because of the purposes of God. Notice what he says. First of all, verse one. Let me tell you why you don't have to be scared because you're my property. Now. Now get this, this text. Now notice what God does. God goes back to the beginning and he takes them from the present to the past. Now, this is unusual. Now we just studied the passage where, remember when Peter fell and he said to him in verse 30 of Luke 22, he said, you're going to sit on thrones judging the 12 tribes of Israel. Then verse 31, you're going to deny me. Now why did he tell him that he was going to sit on the throne before he told him he was going to deny him, because God didn't want him to focus in on what is he wanted him to focus in on. What shall be he saying? Here's what shall be. Let me tell you that first you're going to sit on thrones. Now here's what it is you're going to deny me. Now, why do that? Because if I tell you what you shall be, then you understand that what is shall not cancel out what shall be, so that you won't focus in on what is. You'll walk through it. You'll. You'll endure it because you want to get to what shall be. And so that's what we need to do. But this is different. He's telling them go back and see what was. Now let me show you what is. Now, whenever you get in a place where you gotta walk through, you gotta look back and see what was. So you'll be able to deal with what is. You say, pastor, I still don't understand it. Okay, then let me come and get you. Because I went to public school too. We focus in on what's happening now. God, focus in on what happened back then. Why? Because God takes us back so we can see history to comprehend our destiny. Because what he told us about what shall be. He made the promise in history about our destiny. Let me say it another way. Let me say it another way, that God takes us back to history so he can share his eternal purpose and counsel for our destiny. Okay, let's take three vignettes I'm going to show you. Turn to Mark four. Mark 435. Mark 435. Now they're in a storm. And we remember this storm. We studied it before. And in verse 35, what's he say at the end of the verse? Somebody say it out real loud. Read it nice and loud. What's what's what? Jesus say what's read letters. Let us pass over unto the other side. Then what do they say at the end of verse 38? What do they say at the end of verse 38? Master cares thou not that we perish? Wait a minute, wait a minute. Jesus told them in the past, now they're in the present storm. What did they forget? What Jesus told them? What did he tell them? Let us go unto the other side. He didn't say, let's go in the middle of the Sea of Galilee and drown. No, he said, my divine purpose and decree is that we are going to the other side. Two things they are informed and they are involved. And Jesus is there. He said he didn't say let you. He said, let us. We're all going to make it over to the other side. But you see what happened in the storm. They got all upset. They forgot about what was, and they were focusing in on what is. And Jesus was asleep on the boat because he said what was right. Amen. Amen. You say, you say, well, what what are you trying to get to Pastor Ford? Would you get to it? Okay. I will, I will after these other two vignettes, write down Matthew 1532. In Matthew 1532, there are 4000 people who need to be fed. And uh, Jesus said, uh, hey, you guys feed em. And they said, where are we going to get food for all these people? Now, what happened? One chapter before. About two weeks earlier, Jesus took a little boy's Happy Meal. Lunch. He took some sardines and Ritz crackers and fed 5000 men, not counting the women and children. So most theologians say 14 to 20,000 people with some crackers and some sardines. And what did he say to them? Don't you remember? Wait a minute. He didn't get it. This is only 4000. I fed 5000. And the problem is, you didn't go back and see what was so that you could know. I could deal with what is.
S2: Did you follow all that? Don't worry. We'll get back to this teaching in just a moment. You're listening to Treasure Truth in a message called have no fear. God is here. And if you miss any of the broadcasts in this short little series, come to our website, listen online, or stop by Treasure Truth Radio. You can stream the program through your computer or mobile device. You can download the MP3 for free, or you can order a copy of this program on CD. Again our website, treasure truth Radio. Back to the message. Here's Pastor Ford.
S3: It's okay. I'm coming to get you now. I'm coming to get you now. Oh, no. No, I'm gonna give you another vignette. It's David. It's David. David comes. He's got to be about 17, but he's under 20. We know that. He comes up and a Goliath just came out. Alright. It's on like neck bones. Who who who want to deal with me? Nine foot seven. The armor that he carries weighs £135. The armor. And he says, alright, it's on like neck bone. Who want to take me on? All, all, all soldiers are are are afraid. Saul's hiding in officer's club. And David says, who is this uncircumcised Philistine? Now, let me just say this. This ain't even on my notes. They start hating on Ignoring him. And I said to myself, why are they hating on him? Let me tell you why. They were hating on him because he was attempting to do what they were afraid to do. Alright. And there are some people, Pastor Greene, who they don't want you to do it because they couldn't do it. Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen. So the best way they can feel good about themselves is to hold you back from what you said. You could do that. They said they can do that. They didn't do. And so they were saying he too big to hit. And David said he too big to miss. That's right. And what what did he do? He went back. He said I'm just a shepherd boy. But let me tell y'all something. Uh, I remember when a lion had a lamb in his mouth. I grabbed him by the beard, killed him, and took that lamb. That was God's power that did that. He said, then a bear came up on me and grabbed one. I took a club and beat him to death. So God, he's saying, he's saying, he's saying. Your problem is you're looking at your problem. You need to look at your God. You need to understand that your God is bigger than your problem. Why are you trying to figure it out? God doesn't already worked it out. Why don't we let God do it? Oh, you know what? You know it. You know it. You're talking about, uh. I'm without a job. Didn't he get you that job? Then what makes you think he can't get you another job? Yeah, yeah. Come on, come on. All the sisters say my last man wasn't my last man. All the brothers say my last woman was my last woman. Now everybody that's married should have kept their mouth shut like Brother Dave did. Yeah, but you get what I'm saying. Now, notice what he does. He based it on relationship. In other words, God got you one. He healed your body before he could do it. Now. God got you a house before he can get you another one after the foreclosure. God got you a job. He can get you another job. He can get you another boo. He can get you another whatever. That's his whole point. Look back where I brought you. You were nothing. I made you something so that you can make me your everything. That's what he's saying. So notice what he says. It's based on relationship I created you, formed you, redeemed you. You are mine. Now get this. Let me talk about these three words real quick. Just real quick. He says I created you. That's the word bara. It is when he created creation. It's called ex nihilo. Creation. Say ex nihilo. Now you know some Latin. It means out of nothing. So God says I created you who were nothing and made you into something. Now I should be your everything. Then he says, I formed you now. Now, Brother Dave, get up and turn around and show everybody that Hebrew word form one of my favorite words in all of Hebrew. Come on. What's that word mean? Yeah, it says that he saw the man. Boom! Put us together. Bam bam bam bam. But it says he saw the woman. It literally means to shape with a specific purpose in mind. He looking at at at Adam that he's put in divine anasthesia. And he says, here's what he says. Literally the the fort ize it. Contemporize it. Uh, translation I'm going to hook this brother up. Yeah. Amen. Amen. Amen. Yes, sir. Now, now, here's why I did that. Okay. Get this. Do you know what that means? He's telling them everything that happened to you. God allowed it for a purpose. Alright, now wait a minute. Wait a minute. You. You're. Rape! Murder. I didn't say he did it because he didn't do it. The devil did it. Yeah. No, no no, God does not do evil. James 113. But he does allow it. Why? Because he's sovereign. So everything that happens, God allowed it. He has a purpose. And we need to go through the pain trying to find the purpose. Why God? Or what are you trying to do in this situation? Now get this. Let me. Let me show you real quick. Use myself as an example. I have two boys. They got nine kids, and both of my boys take care of their children. And, uh, I began to say, okay, God. What? What's the outcome of this thing? because one of the things that that I really grew very belligerent about is that I didn't have a dad. In hindsight, I, I, I share some of that stuff with you. Uh, you know how I beat up a guy who had his father at the parent teacher meeting and and don't know why? And then later on, I realize it's because his dad was always there for him, and I didn't have one. And I was jealous of the fact that he had a father, and I didn't. And, uh, I began to say, okay, look at what God did. Because I didn't have a father, because I didn't have a father. I got saved because my oldest son became the catalyst to my salvation. When my wife said to me, okay, what about Jay? And I had said I'd never abandon my children. Now, here I was, getting ready to do the same thing to my son that my dad did to me, and God used it to bring me under conviction and to bring us to Jesus Christ, both on the same night.
S4: Wow. Amen. Amen.
S3: And then I raised my boys, and I was with them. And and she she didn't have to go to school. I went to school, and she didn't have to do any. I did, I did, I did, I did it and I was telling my boys, I said, you know what? I really admire you as fathers. You guys are good fathers. And, uh, my youngest baby boy, y'all know it. It ain't no secret he got four baby mama. And then he finally got his life together and said, I'm going to marry the one I love. But all through coming up, even when he didn't have a job, he borrowed money to make sure his children were taken care of. And I said to him, I said, I said, I admire you because you went to school, you went to. And he wrote me a letter that brought me to tears. Every time I read it, it reduces me to tears. And he just basically said, dad, you always telling me I'm such a wonderful father. He said, dad, the bottom line is the reason I'm a wonderful father and the reason I went to school with all of my children because you came to school for us. The reason why I do what I do is because of the example that you set as a father, and then he would always put a caveat. He said he said dad and and always both of them have said to me, and it always just I, I am asking God, make me as much man as my father. And I go back and I have to say, in the midst of everything, I give thanks. I hated the fact that I didn't have a father. I wanted a father so bad that every man that would show me attention, I would cling to him like he was my father. And they would say.
S5: Would you leave me alone?
S3: And now I realize that the lack of a father spurred me on to salvation and to be a good father. And now I see my children loving their children like I love them.
S4: Yeah.
S3: I don't know what you're going through. I don't know who this is for. I just came to tell you. All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and those who are the called according to it. You going through it right now? You don't think that God is with you, but God hasn't abandoned you because even when you don't walk faithful with him, he says, yet I remain faithful. I will never leave you nor forsake you. Lord, I'm with you always, even until the end of the age. Thank God, thank God, thank God. Thank God. For somebody who loves me with an ever telling them I'm with you. I'm there with you I formed you. Now I know what you're thinking. Why does he use Jacob in Israel? It's very simple. Jacob is his old name. Israel is his new name. Jacob is his name. Under justification. He needs to be saved. But how many know? Just being saved is not it? You gotta surrender. And so Israel is the name of surrender. So remember what happened? Uh, he wrestled with God all night, and and everybody thought, hey, you walking with a limp? And he's saying, no, that's not my limp. That's my pimp. It's the battle that you want to lose. Yeah, it's the battle where he broke my stubborn will and I submitted to him. And so this just means the transition has been made. Now, I'm not perfect, but the transition has been made. I've moved from justification to sanctification. And so this pimp is a symbol of the fact I wrestled with God and lost. He broke my will like he broke my limb. And he gave me a limp so that I would always remember that God is in control.
S2: So it's your reminder that God is in control. Do you have one? We'd love to hear about that. You can simply fill out the contact form when you come to our website, Treasure Truth Radio. Well, Pastor Ford has called today's message have no fear. God is here and you can listen to this broadcast again or order a copy on CD. When you come to treasure Truth Radio. Well, pastor, you're back in the studio for a moment with me here. And, uh, one of the things that we often will mention on this program is we need listeners financial help so that we can continue to bring the Bible teaching that listeners can on being there. Because as God's Word goes out, we know it doesn't return void. People are being encouraged and people are growing through what they hear. And frankly, we need help.
S3: Yes, we do. And you know, the good thing about listening to Moody Radio is you're going to get consistent Bible teaching. You're going to get expository messages that are rightly divided. The Bible tells us that we are to study, to show ourselves approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. The words rightly divided, is one word in the Greek, and it literally means to cut on the line. And so we're cutting on the line. What a tremendous way to grow. Well, I need to grow. Sure. And you know what? Not only am I on the Moody Network, I listen to the Moody Network. I love Chuck Swindoll and David Jeremiah and Michael Rolnick and the land and the book. I mean, I'm able to grow because these men can teach me the Word of God.
S2: Yeah, you can help us share that as you give a gift to Moody Radio and Treasure truth. Do that when you come to treasure Truth radio.org and click on the donate button. Well, thanks to our producers, Amy Rios and Ryan McConaughey for Pastor Ford. I'm Steve Hiller. Treasure truth is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.