S1: It's a story we grew up hearing even as children in Sunday school. I'm talking about lot's wife, the woman who was turned into a pillar of salt. But there's a whole lot more to the story of lot's wife and lot's family than what we've typically engaged in. Let's talk about lessons from lot's wife in this segment of the land and the book. Welcome. I'm John Gager, our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, noted Old Testament scholar, frequent traveler to Israel. And you know, fall is here again, Charlie. And that means that the Jewish high Holidays are just around the corner. Uh, these biblical feasts have been celebrated for thousands of years, but this year kind of has added weight, added significance as Jewish people around the world mark one year since the brutal attack on Israel by Hamas terrorists.
S2: Yeah, sadly, John, that's true. And our friends at Life and Messiah, though, want to help you learn more about the fall feasts, the significance they have for us as believers in Jesus, and how to stand with Jewish people during this time. They're offering a live zoom teaching session where they're knowledgeable. Field staff will walk you through the history and significance of the Feast of Trumpets, the Day of Atonement, and the Feast of Tabernacles. You'll also hear how you can use these holidays as a point of connection with your Jewish friends and neighbors, to show and share the love of Jesus with them. Now to sign up for this free teaching, all you need to do is visit Life in Messiah org. Click on the Moody Radio logo and sign up. Be sure to sign up today to discover the fascinating connections between these feasts and Jesus at Life in messiah.org. All right.
S1: Let's turn our focus toward current events here. Stories that have unfolded in the Middle East this past week. The war between Israel and Hamas continues, and all attempts to reach a ceasefire and a hostage deal keep getting mired in accusations, denials and charges of fake news. What is really happening in the PR war here between these two? Charlie?
S2: Yeah. The details of what's been happening are as convoluted as a Cold War spy novel, John. There have been charges, counter charges and suggestions of manipulation. Let me give you just two examples. First, a German newspaper reported on a secret Hamas document supposedly approved by Sinwar, detailing how Hamas would deliberately work to exert pressure on the hostage families and shift blame for the lack of a deal on Israel, all the while delaying and stonewalling the negotiations. The second example is a news item from a London based Jewish newspaper that reported on the discovery of plans by Sinwar to smuggle himself and other Hamas leaders, along with the remaining Jewish hostages, out of Gaza, through the Philadelphia Corridor and eventually onto Iran. But here's the problem the materials quoted by the German newspaper were discovered five months ago and were written by a mid-level Hamas officer, not by Sinwar. And the military forces say they're not aware of any recovered documents outlining Sinwar's alleged escape plan. But that's not the full story, either. The first question that needs to be answered is whether or not the two documents are real. In the case of the first, it appears to be genuine. Sinwar might not have personally composed it, but it was likely written for him, and it seems to mirror Hamas's actions over the past six months. The second document that's more problematic. Would Sinwar have an escape plan prepared? Well, that would seem reasonable, though it's unclear why Israel wouldn't know of such a document if it had actually been discovered. Or is this a case where the information might be true, though it might have come from an interview with a captured Hamas leader and not from a piece of paper? Well, we just don't know. And were these leaks designed to cast Netanyahu or Hamas and Sinwar in a bad light. Again, we just don't know. What we do know is that Israel has uncovered and destroyed more than 180 tunnels under the Philadelphia corridor linking Gaza to Egypt, and we know Netanyahu wants to keep Israeli forces in that corridor to prevent Hamas from rearming. Virtually all the weapons, ammunition and rockets in Gaza were smuggled in through those tunnels. This PR war has many angles. So the point for us is don't take all the headlines you read at face value. Just like in a good spy novel, there are agents on all sides playing a deadly game of deception.
S1: Well, Egypt has been a major part of the talks between Israel and Hamas, but several reports suggest Egypt has not been a reliable broker in the process. What are some of the concerns being raised by Israel about Egypt's role in the conflict?
S2: Well, perhaps the main concern being raised is that Egypt has been playing a double game and has actually helped facilitate weapons smuggling to Hamas. Now, this hasn't always been true. When Egyptian President al-Sisi overthrew the Muslim Brotherhood and came to power ten years ago, Hamas helped the Muslim Brotherhood in their attacks against Egypt since Hamas grew out of the Muslim Brotherhood. But after gaining control, Egypt's new government discovered the financial benefits from controlling the tunnels and the above ground crossing into Gaza. Another concern over Egypt's role in the negotiations is the apparent lack of interest on Egypt's part to actually build on the Camp David peace accords between the two countries. Egypt seemed to be interested in peace until it received back the Sinai. Then the warming relations between the two countries froze back up. Egypt is opposed to any Israeli presence along its border with Gaza, citing terms in their peace treaty. And yet Israel flexed on the treaty when it allowed Egypt to bring in additional forces to Sinai to contain the Muslim Brotherhood and ISIS there. anti-Israel sentiment is still strong in Egypt, and apparently religious antagonism against the State of Israel, coupled with the financial incentives from resuming smuggling operations into Gaza, are a major reason Israel needs to be very wary about giving up control of the Philadelphi corridor.
S1: This is the land in the book from Moody Radio with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Geiger. We're looking at current events from the week. New archaeological research suggests the Roman siege of Masada might have only lasted for a few weeks rather than years. What led to these conclusions, and what impact does all this have on the historical narrative about Masada's fall?
S2: Yeah, you know, I love this story, John. We know from Josephus that Jerusalem fell in the fall of AD 70, and that Masada fell in the spring of AD 73. As a result, many assumed this meant the Roman siege of Masada must have lasted for months or even years. Certainly, that's what a lot of the guides tell the people who visit there. Well, this new research is fascinating because it dispels that myth, but without destroying Josephus's account of the attack. The archaeologist approached the process by looking at the siege from a Roman perspective. Since this was a typical Roman military operation, how would the Romans go about it? And we have information on on their military. The 6000 to 8000 Roman soldiers who were there would have first established their fortified camps and built the siege wall around the site. Those can still be seen from up on top. They estimate this would have taken less than two weeks. They then calculated that the siege ramp built by the Romans with Jewish slave labor would have taken another month, so the entire operation could have been completed within six weeks. The question then is why did the Romans wait a year and a half before attacking Masada? Well, Josephus describes the other activities that took the Roman army to other parts of the region, including the Herodium and Machaerus in Jordan. They also took the army on a victory tour of sorts. Josephus mentions they went to Caesarea, Caesarea, Philippi, Phoenicia, Syria and Egypt. It was only when the defenders at Masada attacked the balsam groves at Engedi, that the army decided it was time to take Masada. Now, this is a bit of conjecture on the part of the archaeologists, but not without some support. Balsam was a very lucrative commodity to Rome. In fact, Josephus, Pliny, Strabo and Tacitus all talk about its importance and the fact that it was only grown in two key spots in Judea, Jericho and Engedi, and in Getty's, just ten miles away from Masada. Now, this new study makes a lot of sense, but it in no way changes Josephus account of what actually happened during and just after the siege.
S1: Fascinating. Well, an Israeli startup called Viaflo has developed a next generation vascular stent to help millions who suffer with painful brain pressure that can cause migraines, tinnitus, and even failing eyesight. Tell us about this life changing innovation from amazing Israel. Sure.
S2: First the details. The disorder has several names, including idiopathic intracranial hypertension, but it's caused by the narrowing of a vein that causes the buildup of blood and spinal fluid in the brain, creating this pressure. The ideal solution is the insertion of a vascular stent at the point where the vein narrows. The problem, however, is that the narrowing takes place just above a very sharp curve in the vein. Available stents and the delivery mechanisms for them just aren't flexible enough to make that turn. V flow solved the problem by developing a next generation vascular stent called the Veeva Stent that's 20% less rigid. They also developed a new delivery mechanism that keeps the stent at the back of the catheter until it is past the problem area and reach the placement site. The procedure itself takes about an hour and it's considered safe, minimally invasive and with a short recovery time. The company is now beginning human trials in Israel, and then plans to conduct studies in the US to obtain FDA approval. Imagine, John, a breakthrough treatment that shows great promise in curing chronic headaches and tinnitus, all developed by Vflo, which happens to be another start up company in amazing Israel.
S1: And that's a look at current events from the Middle East. Charlie, I want to circle back to our opening news story, of course, the war between Israel and Hamas. And you mentioned in that Philadelphi corridor right there at Egypt's border, they had destroyed 180 tunnels. Do they have any sense of what percentage of the total number of tunnels there that might be?
S2: Well, one number that's been thrown around is 80%, but in reality, they don't know what they don't know. That's just an assumption. But they're still coming across additional tunnels.
S1: Well, coming up on the land of the book of fascinating conversation, it's lessons from Lot's Wife Life with Tammy Whitehurst.
UU: Stick around for more.
S1: It's one of the most sobering and frankly, one of the most curious stories in all the Bible. It's the story of lot and his wife. When commanded to leave their hometown, Sodom, and not turn back, the couple headed out. But then lot's wife disobeyed. She glanced backward and was instantly turned into a pillar of salt. Now, what is it that God wants us to learn from this ancient tragedy? Is it possible lot's wife has something to say to us today? Welcome to the land and the book. I'm John Gager. Before we get to today's guest, why don't we check in with an idea on how you and I can share our faith, our Jesus, more effectively with somebody from a Jewish background. Helping you help your Jewish friend find Yeshua in the Old Testament. That's our challenge. As we sit down with Michael Riedel, general editor of the Moody Handbook of Messianic Prophecy. Where would you take us?
S3: I would say, you know, so often people say Jesus was some sort of victim. No, this was a choice that the Hebrew prophets said he would make to suffer for us. It says in Isaiah 50, when it talks about the suffering servant, it's a first person kind of statement, a poem written in the first person. He says. I gave my back to those who beat me and my cheeks to those who tore out my beard. I did not hide my face from scorn and spitting. Isaiah 50, verse six. What he is saying is, I willingly suffered. I did not go to the cross as a victim. It was my choice. That's what the Lord Jesus taught. No man takes my life, but I lay it down willingly. He gave himself for us because it was his choice. He was not a victim of oppression. He was one who chose. He could have called those angels to deliver him, but he chose to die for us.
S1: Our thanks to Michael Riedel, professor of Jewish studies here at the Moody Bible Institute, joining us on the land and the book. Tammy Whitehurst is a speaker and writer who loves people, particularly women who laugh. She's one of them herself. She describes herself as Texas raised, Jesus saved, and loving all things Chita. Tammy speaks at events around the country. She's no stranger to our broadcast, so it's a pleasure to welcome you back, Tammy, to our studio here at The Land and the book.
S4: John, it's so good to be here again.
S1: And good to have your husband with you, too.
S4: Yes, yes. Thank you for letting us come back.
S1: Well, for somebody who has never heard the story, I summarized it a moment ago, but maybe they're just a bit rusty on their Old Testament history. Give us the outline of this rather unusual incident.
S4: I like to say it's about looking forward. The struggle is real, whether it's what we're doing today or what Lot's wife. And by the way, we do not know her name. John. Yeah, we know her as lot's wife. And Jesus referenced her and said, remember lot's wife. So there's something there that we probably need to think about, don't you think?
S1: I think so, but I think, you know, you can't help but have a little bit of pity on her for all the drama that was going on behind her. It seems to me natural human curiosity would be hard to stifle. It would be hard to not look back.
S4: It would be hard to not look back. And how many times do we even do it ourselves? Because when those two angels came after them, essentially to rescue them from what they were in instead, as they are running, she turns to look back. And how many times do we do that? Even today, when God comes to rescue us from what we are in, that can be many things. But whatever. We've got ourselves stuck in a rut with and we've gotten too comfortable in, and he wants to change our scenery to move us forward, but it requires that we have to leave one thing so that he can move us into another area. That's a hard thing for people to do, you know, change is hard. And I have gotten to where I stopped judging lot's wife now because how often have I done the same thing?
S1: You know, the thing is, what she left may have been familiar, but it certainly wasn't holy. That was a pretty nasty town, but it was comfortable. It's what she.
S4: Knew. That's right.
S1: And you know. So if I could play the other side of things, you know, why wouldn't she want to be led by the hand? Why wouldn't she get out of that? Does that speak to her character in some way? I mean, I want to be too harsh here. We don't really know, but. But what about that? I mean, shouldn't she have been glad to leave all that you.
S4: Would think that she would have? But maybe she looked back, John, because it doesn't really tell us why she looked back. So maybe she looked back because she was yearning for a friend. Maybe that one friend who did support her whenever they were talking about how bad that place was, because that place was bad, where they were at. We're talking about Sodom here. Yes. Or maybe she looked back for what we often judge her for. For the wealth that they had, for the stuff that she had, and she didn't know which direction she was going forward. Maybe she looked back at the good memories that she had there, because oftentimes, even when we're in the midst of awful and bad. The good memory that we have will make us stay there, even though the bad memories are far worse. Yeah.
S1: Well, they say this about children of abusive parents. You know, that's still my mom. That's still my dad. Even though the home, the situation, the circumstances are horrid. I want to take you to a comment I've heard you make before about the story of lot's wife. Jesus tells us the name of one woman to remember, and he certainly encountered his share of humans, men and women. Only one, though, does he say you need to remember her. Lot's wife. Why do you think, Tammy? He would single her out. He could have mentioned many, but he only mentioned her.
S4: That is such a good question. And I don't know why he would only say her. Because there's a lot of people in the Bible, women wise, that we don't know their first name. We just know them as so-and-so's wife. But he says, remember her. I'm going to use it in this. If we're making this relevant to today, I'm going to use it in this standpoint as a woman. Maybe I'm supposed to remember lot's wife. Maybe women in general are supposed to remember lot's wife, because let's use it in the context of marriage. John, let me go there. When it comes to marriage, you know, forgiveness is something that when we forgive, we leave it behind us. Correct? Yep. And we're supposed to go forward. We leave it behind. What is buried should stay buried. It's gone. It's done. And so often. And I hear this as a woman in ministry, so often everything's going good. There's been something terrible happen in a marriage, and they're marching forward. They're going forward. Everything's good. And all of a sudden an argument begins to happen, and suddenly that woman may go back into the past. God says, don't turn back. Maybe that's why. Don't turn back. But she turns back. She goes back. She digs something up from the past that was supposedly forgotten, forgiven. And yet she takes her sand pail and her little shovel. And she digs up that dirt all again. And just splats it in the face of the husband and forces them to remember that spot again, even though they were supposed to be moving forward in life. And so what happens there? All of a sudden? He goes back, she goes back and everything becomes disastrous. That's how I would put it relevant to today's world as well.
S1: Tammy Whitehurst is helping us look at lessons from lot's wife here on the land and the book. She speaks at events around the country. You know, the dark side of this story really is very much part of our story as well, in some way. Disobedience. I mean, we all struggle with it. What is the story of lot's wife? Tell us about the seriousness that God attaches to his commands and the certainty of consequences for us today.
S4: God tells us in Isaiah, forget the former things. Don't dwell on the past, that he is doing a new thing. Are we going to let him do a new thing? The new thing is so much better than the old thing. But do we have enough confidence to move forward with the Lord? Because clinging to a familiar world is comfortable clinging with bloody fingernails to what we know what we're comfortable with is so much easier. But when we trust God, we obey God. Obedience. Then we move forward. You know, there's a song we've sung and it's also John, a scripture. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. The key word there, John, is follow. How can goodness and mercy follow us if we don't have the faith to move forward so that it can?
S5: Yeah.
S1: Well said. The concept of surrender was at the heart of God's call to lot and his wife. Surrender their towns, surrender their possessions, surrender their attachment to that place, that awful city. But at least it was home to them. What about us today? Our need to surrender. Any thoughts on that?
S4: Surrender is a hard word. And yes, what God was calling her to do was to surrender, to let it all go. And so many of us, we get headed in the right direction. We surrender, we get headed in the right direction, and then we turn back. And that's where we mess up every single time. Even though so often we know that going back is not good for us. That taking everything that we surrendered to the Lord is taking on more problems. It's taking on everything that we wanted to let go of. And I know that. What causes that? Fear. Fear causes us to disobey. And pride causes us to disobey. But fear will cause us to stay stuck in a rut. To stay stuck where we don't need to be. Even though the Lord says to go forward. You know, when he talks about running the race, a race is running a forward motion. Lot's wife didn't run forward. She looked back. Yeah. Just to.
S1: Jump in on that very passage, forgetting that which.
S5: Lies behind. Pressing on Yes. Forward?
S4: Yes. So do we doubt, John, that God has something bigger and better for us? Is that is that what we do? Sometimes I think we do. I think.
S1: We do. Tammy Whitehurst is a speaker and writer who loves people, describes herself as Texas raised, Jesus saved, and loving all things cheetah. We're exploring the life and unusual end of Lot's Wife, a story that originates in Genesis 19. Check it out for yourself. You know, Tammy, it seems to me the tragedy of lot's wife. Her story is that there didn't need to be a tragedy. I mean, she was headed in the right direction. It's almost like slo mo video, you know, you're watching the replay. No, no. You want to shout at the screen, don't do that. But she did do that. She disobeyed. What about us?
S4: God wants to deliver us from what we came from to where he wants to take us to. And when you look at lot's wife, she died without ever entering her deliverance. The Israelite generation that complained in the wilderness, and they died shy of the promised land. They missed their deliverance. We don't want to miss the land that God is trying to get us into, because we're so doubtful and defiant and stubborn and stuck in the world that we're in right now. But most of all, when I think about lot's wife keeping our eyes in a forward direction, John requires faith, boldness. It requires strength, it requires courage. And in order to have all of those, we have to stay in God's Word. Yeah.
S5: You know.
S1: Here's an unusual question. If we could somehow find that very pillar of salt that was once lot's wife, the one she turned into. And if God was somehow willing to give that pillar of salt, that is lot's wife speech for just a minute. What do you think she would say to us today?
S4: I think she would say, God cares more about where he's taking you than where you've been.
S5: That's well.
S1: Said. Stepping out, walking in faith. You know, all these things sound good. It's what zillions of Christian books are all about. But doing that is different than reading about it or hearing about it from your lips or my lips. Help us out here, Tammy. What's a practical handle we can put on this?
S4: Well, the thing is, whenever we stop and we ask ourselves, how am I going to pay the bills? What am I going to do? I don't know how to start over. Mm. The way that we start again is to first of all, we have to pray. As Christians, prayer is so important and we don't utilize it enough. So we have to pray. We have to seek wise counsel. Now notice that I said wise counsel because there's a whole lot of counsel out there, and some of it is far from wise. And then we have to believe that God knows better for us than we know for ourselves. And I know for myself, in some times, whenever it was more comfortable to stay stuck than it was to get out of the rut. I know that there are days whenever I would pray, God, I just need to see a glimmer of you today. I need to know that wherever I'm at, you're near. I need to know that you hear all of what I'm going through right now, Lord. And I'm going to tell you when I reach out to the Lord like that, John, either somebody's going to come up to me and they're going to say something that was spot on, or there's going to be a song on the radio. That is exactly what I need to hear. Or there's going to be an email. There's going to be a text. The thing is, in this world that seems so discouraging, God is using a whole lot of people to get our attention. But are we listening? Are we watching? Are we hearing whenever he puts them right in front of us?
S1: That's Tammy Whitehurst and a link to her website at ours. The land and the book.org. Maybe you'd like to share this encouraging conversation with a friend about lessons from lot's wife. It's there at the land and the book.org. Up next, our friend Charlie Dyer with answers to more of your questions right here on the land and the book. If you're a regular, you know what's next. It's questions and answers. They aren't our questions. They're yours. That's what makes it so cool, I think, because everybody's wondering about something slightly different from the person next to them as they open their copy of the scriptures or ponder prophetic events. And this is where it all comes together here on the land. And the book with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager and Charlie, I'm thinking fall is here again. And that means the Jewish High Holidays are right around the corner. These biblical feasts have been celebrated for thousands of years, but this year has added weight and significance as Jewish people around the world mark one year since the brutal attack on Israel by Hamas terrorists.
S2: Yeah, John. And that's why our friends at Life and Messiah want to help you learn more about the fall feasts, the significance they have for us as believers in Jesus, and how to stand with Jewish people during this time. They're offering a live zoom teaching session where their knowledgeable field staff will walk you through the history and significance of the Feast of Trumpets, the Day of Atonement, and the Feast of Tabernacles. You'll also hear how you can use these holidays as a point of connection with your Jewish friends and neighbors, to show and share the love of Jesus with them. Now to sign up for this free teaching. All you have to do is visit Life in Messiah. Org. Click on the Moody Radio logo and sign up. Be sure to sign up today to discover the fascinating connections between these feasts and Jesus at Life in messiah.org.
S1: Lots of questions to get to today. We'll start with Brian's. He says in Matthew 27, 52 and 53. We're told of saints who were raised at the time of Jesus crucifixion and appeared to many following his resurrection. But we have no mention of these saints elsewhere in Scripture. So who exactly were they and why were they raised?
S2: Yeah, and you're right. Matthew is the only gospel who records this event. Now, he was writing to a Jewish audience, and he felt it was important to them to know about this group of individuals. So I start by asking myself two questions, though. First, was this a physical resuscitation? Like Jairus daughter, the widow of Nain, son and Lazarus? Or is Matthew saying these people were actually resurrected in glorified bodies like Jesus? And second, the second question were they raised at the time of Jesus's crucifixion on Good Friday or at the time of his resurrection on Easter Sunday? Now we know Jesus was the first truly to rise from the dead in a glorified body. All other resurrections prior to that were actually just resuscitations. And those people raised back to life like Lazarus eventually died again. That's why I think Matthew is describing an actual resurrection. The tombs were violently shaken open by an earthquake on Friday, but those people inside didn't come out until Sunday. Now, Matthew is expecting his readers to understand the relationship between Jesus and the Jewish spring feasts. Jesus was the Passover lamb slain for the sins of the world, and that's why he was crucified at Passover. His resurrection took place on Sunday because he was the fulfillment of the festival of firstfruits. Leviticus 23 says that took place the day after the Sabbath of Passover. That is the Sunday after Passover. And Paul says, Jesus was the first fruits of those who fallen asleep in first Corinthians 15. So who were these Old Testament saints who were resurrected that same day? They must have been part of the firstfruits with Jesus following him out of their graves in resurrected bodies. I assume they then ascended to heaven, probably when Jesus did 40 days later. They were additional witnesses during that 40 day period to the Jewish people in Jerusalem of the resurrection of the Messiah. Now, there's no other reference in Scripture or historically to this event. That's another reason, I think it was probably a local event that would have been familiar to Matthew's Jewish audience, but not widely known otherwise.
S1: Frederick says, thank you for the time and energy you put into the land and the book radio broadcast. And he asks, do you think they could date the Shroud of Turin? That would be great to know the exact time Yeshua went back to the father. Thoughts?
S2: Yeah, well, the good news is that carbon 14 testing has been done on the shroud. Unfortunately, it didn't provide a solid answer for a couple of reasons. First, two alternative dates ended up being proposed back in 1988. Three universities tested a small sample, and they dated it from about A.D. 1260 to 1390. That's about a thousand years or more after the time of Jesus. Now, if those dates are correct, then the shroud would be a forgery from the Middle Ages. However, another university tested the same sample in 2013, and they came up with a date between 300 B.C. and A.D. 400. And that places the cloth somewhere in the general time period of Jesus. But those two dates are pretty far apart. Now, the second problem, though, is neither option is able to date the shroud to a precise year, let alone a specific day or month. So even if that second test is correct, it still doesn't help date the exact time of the crucifixion or resurrection. Carbon 14 dating just isn't that precise, but not all is lost. We have solid information in the Bible that I think can help us date very precisely the year, month, and day. Jesus was crucified and raised from the dead. Now I had a seminary professor. His name was Harold Hoehner, who wrote a series of articles that became a book titled Chronological Aspects of the Life of Christ. And while not everyone agrees with his work. I think he did a masterful job in pulling everything together, and I believe proves sufficiently that the crucifixion was Friday, April 3rd, A.D. 33. And what I'd suggest is look online to find that book, but its chronological aspects of the life of Christ. Harold Hoehner and you'll find some great information in there.
S1: It's the land and the book from Moody Radio. Interesting question. Now from Val, her comment I oppose circumcision, as far as I can tell. Circumcision was instituted about 2067 BC. She says it's past time for God to speak again on this subject. As far as I can tell, Jews believed that it was okay to fight and argue with God. Jacob wrestled with Abraham and so on, negotiating about how many righteous people had to live in the city. There's much ignorance, especially in the United States, on this subject. And then she ends. I would have a higher opinion about the broadcast if you all took an anti-circumcision stance. Charlie.
S2: Yeah. And she also sent some links to articles against circumcision, but unfortunately I can't agree with the reasoning of Val or with the articles that she sent. Now, we do know circumcision isn't required for believers in this age. Paul made that clear. First Corinthians chapter seven. He said, circumcision is nothing. Uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts. He also said the same thing in Galatians chapter five, in Galatians chapter six. Clearly, circumcision is not a biblical mandate for the church age. But now here's where I believe that Val's arguments fail. First, you claimed it's past time for God to speak. Well, actually, he did speak quite clearly on the matter. He's the one who established circumcision as a sign of his covenant with Abraham. Now, I'm not going to argue with God and tell him that he was wrong when he did that. But second, apart from the religious significance of circumcision, I believe the medical arguments you provided in the article and those online links are rather weak. In fact, I'd encourage you to go a couple of places first. There's a book called None of These Diseases by McMillan and find that book. I remember I read that years ago, but go to chapters eight and nine has some fascinating medical reasons on why circumcision is so helpful. The benefits are also supported by studies published by the National Library of Medicine by Johns Hopkins Medicine. They're available online. Just Google benefits of circumcision and you'll find these and other resources. Now, circumcision is not required by God as a religious obligation during the current age, certainly for the church. However, studies continue to show there are medical benefits of circumcision that may not have been fully understood in the past but are clearly seen today. It's a good practice medically, even if it's not a religious requirement for believers today.
S1: Dan writes in Ephesians three one through 13. Why did God choose to keep his plan of redemption a secret?
S2: I think the answer is that it's not the plan of redemption or salvation that was kept secret, but the reality that the Jews and Gentiles would be joined together in the sharing of that blessing of salvation in the one body, the church. Now here's how I come to that. In that Ephesians three passage in verse five, Paul says, the mystery was not made known to men in other generations, as it has now been revealed by the spirit to God's holy apostles and prophets. Now there's a parallel passage to this. It's Colossians chapter one. And there in verse 26, Paul calls this the mystery that had been kept hidden for ages and generations, but that is now disclosed to the saints. Now he's saying the mystery was not known earlier. And then in the Ephesians three passage, Paul goes on by explaining what the mystery is. He says through the gospel, the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus. So the mystery there, he says, has three parts. Gentiles and Jews are now heirs together, members of the same body. We're sharing together in that same promise, God promised blessings to Israel. They're clearly spelled out in the Old Testament, and so did God. Promise blessings to the Gentiles, like in Genesis 12 three, where he said, all the nations of the earth would be blessed through Abraham. But the hidden mystery in Ephesians was the relationship between the church and Israel, or between Gentiles and Jews in this current age, as we share together God's blessings. That's the mystery that hadn't been previously revealed.
S1: Last question of the day. At the end of Isaiah 53, it says, yet he bore the sin of many and made intercession for the transgressors. Would this mean that Christ died for only the elect and not for all the sins of mankind?
S2: Yeah. And actually I interpret that statement in verses 11 and 12, in light of what was said earlier in verse six. He said, we all, like sheep have gone astray. Each of us has turned to his own way, and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Well, the word for all coal is used twice in that verse. We've all gone astray, and God laid on him the iniquity of us all. The universality of sin is matched by the universal sacrifice of the substitute provided by God. So in light of that clear statement, I think what we need to do is recognize recognized that Christ's death is sufficient for all. Christ died for every one who went astray, meaning he died for all.
S1: And that's a look at some of the questions that have come in to us via email. And yours is welcome. Of course, anytime you can connect with us at The Land and the book@moody.edu, that's the land and the book@moody.edu. We'll get back to you with a personal answer and a pretty short amount of time. Hey, Charlie's devotional is next. I'm looking forward to that and hope you stick around for more on the land and the book. Of life. It's full of peaks and valleys. I bet you've noticed, right? Welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager and some of those valleys and some of those peaks. They're higher and lower than others. Right. But, Charlie, that has something to do with today's devotional.
S2: It does, John. In fact, today we're going to head to a rather obscure valley with an important role to play in the Bible.
S1: That's Charlie's devotional. It's next after this Holy Land experience testimony. I love listening to how people are impacted when they go to the land that Jesus walked in. Check this out.
S6: Hi, my name is Jamie. I went to Israel in 2005 with Precepts International and it was an incredible trip. As a lot of people have mentioned before, it really just puts your Bible into three dimensions. You can you will never read your Bible the same again. You have walked in these places. You can see the distances between these towns and cities that you read about all the time. And it's really incredible. Um, a couple of my favorite spots were Mount Carmel. I'm remembering the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal, as well as our time spent in Jerusalem. Just so many significant places there. But, um, special significance of walking up the steps that would lead to the high Priest Caiaphas house, and walking down the Mount of Olives by the Garden of Gethsemane. So I'd encourage anybody to go. It's an amazing place. It puts the heart of God right in the heart of you. Thank you.
S1: An obscure valley that plays an important role in Bible history. That's the focus of Charlie's devotional. Now, I'll let you at it, Charlie.
S2: Thanks, John. Yeah. Our journey today takes us to a valley just to the east of Mount Tabor in northern Israel. Now, unless you've been to Israel, that doesn't mean much. But hopefully by the end of today's journey, you'll come to know and appreciate this obscure valley with an amazing history. And if you've been to Israel, no, I'm not talking about the Jezreel Valley that's in the same general area, and it also has an amazing history. But the valley we're going to visit today is the Yavne'el Valley. Okay, I see all those blank looks on your faces, but trust me, this place is worth the visit. Even those who've been to Israel probably don't remember it, and most only see it when they're driving toward the Sea of Galilee from the west as the bus gets close to Tiberius. The guide will often point out the horns of a team out to the left of the bus. This is where a famous battle between Saladin and the Crusaders took place on July 4th, 1187. But while everyone is now looking out the windows on the left side of the bus, the Yavne'el Valley is zipping by on the right. Some groups do get the opportunity to drive through the valley. If they leave the Sea of Galilee, heading south and drive toward Mount Tabor on their way to the Jezreel Valley. But if your trip south takes you first to Beit She'an in the Jordan Valley, well, too bad you missed it again. So what makes this valley so special? Well, it's the reason the international highway that went from Egypt to Mesopotamia continued north past Mount Tabor until it reached another east west valley on the north side of Nazareth. You see, if you tried to cut the corner and head for Mount Tabor straight to the Sea of Galilee. You would have to walk down into this valley and then walk back out of it on the other side. It's not that you couldn't do that, but after huffing and puffing your way up the relatively steep incline, you would be searching for an easier way to make that trip. Walking around the edge of the valley added a few miles to your journey, but at least you were walking on level ground. So here's a beautiful valley that few really wanted to travel through, but it's just perfect for anyone with flocks and herds looking for pasture land. In Joshua 19, the valley was allocated to the tribe of Naphtali, with the tribe of Issachar skirting the southern rim. It's called the Yavne'el Valley today, because one of the towns mentioned in Joshua 1933 along Zebulon's border was Yavne'el or Jabneel in our English Bibles. Two other boundary markers listed in the same area in Joshua 19 were quote the large tree and Tzanhanim, and a town named Kedesh Naphtali. Now what makes the Yavne'el Valley so special? After all, for most people, geography ranks right up there with, I don't know, memorizing parts of speech, diagramming sentences, or having a root canal. But to show its importance, let's head to judges four and the battle. Deborah and Barak fought against Sisera and the forces of the King of Hatzor. We know Deborah and Barak gathered on Mount Tabor with 10,000 Israelites. In doing so, they blocked the international highway separating the forces of Sisera in the Jezreel Valley to the south from the king of Hatzor to the north. This was a threat the enemy couldn't allow to remain unchallenged. But just before the battle unfolds, the writer of the Book of Judges pauses to share what seems to be an unrelated piece of historical trivia. Now Heber the Kenite had left the other Kenites, the descendants of Hobab, Moses's brother in law, and pitched his tent by the great tree and Tzanhanim near Kadesh.
S7: Tzanhanim Kadosh. Why?
S2: They're located in the Yavne'el Valley. And there are several details about this family that we tend to pass over that help bring the story to light. Judges 116 says the descendants of Moses's father in law, the Kenite, went up from the city of palms with the men of Judah to live among the people of the desert of Judah in the Negev near Arad. So the Kenites were a nomadic tribe that were related to the family of Moses, and their preference was to live a life similar to that of the original patriarchs, intense in the south of Israel and in an area where there was opportunity for grazing their flocks and herds. But for whatever reason, Heber the Kenite left the other Kenites and moved north to the Yavne'el valley. Was it the greater amount of rainfall in the north that produced more abundant grass for grazing? Or could it have been the solitude of this secluded valley? For whatever reason, this one family from the clan pulled up stakes and literally and went to live in the North. There's one other connection, though this is less certain. The name Kenite comes from a Hebrew noun that refers to a spear, or from the related verb that means to forge or put together. Perhaps Hebburn. His clan had mastered the art of forging iron. Now such a skill would be valuable to a ruler who had 900 chariots with iron wheel rims. The compiler of judges does note that there were friendly relations between Jabin, king of Hatzor, and the clan of Heber the Kenite. Heber and his family were located in the Nile Valley, a place of solitude with good grazing for their herds and flocks, but they also enjoyed the protection of General Sisera, who controlled the region. And that's why, following the stunning defeat of Sisera by Deborah and Barak, Sisera tries to make his way north to Hatzor by way of the tent of Heber. The Kenite God sent a sudden cloudburst that caused Sisera's serious chariots to get stuck in the mud to get away. Sisera jumped off his chariot and fled on foot. Barak's forces controlled the main highway in the region, so Sisera needed to work his way around the enemy and his escape plan seemed brilliant. Sneak down into the Yavne'el valley, stop for rest and refreshment at the tent of a friendly ally, and then go by way of the western shore of the Sea of Galilee toward Hatzor. It was the perfect plan, with one tiny flaw, and her name was Yael. Judges four recounts what happened next in gruesome graphic detail. Yael went out to meet Sisera and said to him, come, my lord, come right in. Don't be afraid. So he entered her tent and she put a covering over him. I'm thirsty, he said. Please give me some water. She opened a skin of milk and gave him a drink and covered him up. Stand in the doorway of the tent. He told her, if someone comes by and asks you, is anyone here? Say no. But Yael Hebrew's wife picked up a tent peg and a hammer and went quietly to him while he lay fast asleep. Exhausted, she drove the peg through his temple into the ground, and he died. Now, as the story ends, Barak pursues Sisera down into the Avnillah valley. He doesn't want this wily general to escape. Yael comes out to meet him and says, come, I will show you the man you're looking for. Ultimately, it's Yael who gets credit for the victory over Sisera. So what lessons can we learn from this beautiful, isolated valley with a rather gruesome storyline? I think the lesson is this. Yael is married to a man who decided to leave his family and ultimately form a friendship with a king who opposed and oppressed Israel. Heber the Kenite doesn't come off well in this story. His wife, Yael might have been obedient in following him physically, but she never lost her spiritual bearings. She remained aligned with Moses and the Israelites, and when an opportunity arose. She displayed incredible courage and helped deliver Israel. As Deborah had said earlier to Barak, because of the way you were going about this, the honor will not be yours, for the Lord will hand Sisera over to a woman. And we talk about Deborah and Barak, but we should really talk about Deborah, Barak, and Yael and the moral of the story. Stay committed to the Lord, because you never know when God might call on you to act with boldness for him. Just be ready.
S1: Just be ready and be ready to act boldly. Great advice. Thank you, Charlie, for those insights. You can hear today's program again in its entirety at our web site, The Land and the book. Org. If you've never checked out our podcast, it's there. Thank you for taking advantage of that and for sharing it with a friend. The land and the book org. Our time is gone. Thank you for listening to the Land and the book. A presentation of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.