S1: There was a hate crime a week ago today in my neighborhood, just two blocks from my house. Stay with me and I'll tell you about it, and also give you a biblical explanation for it in just a moment. Welcome to Open Line, friends. I'm so glad to be with you. My name is Michael Ray. I'm the academic dean and professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. It's time for our Bible study across America. We're sitting around the radio kitchen table. I'm taking your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. If you have a question, now's the time to call. It's always best to call at the start of the program. It's the easiest way to get in. Again, the phone number Three six, seven five. Tricia McMillan is in the producer's chair. Omar Mendoza is our engineer today, and tiara is answering the phones, I believe. Did I get that right, Trish? Yes I did. That's great. Again, the phone number (877) 548-3675. Let me tell you about what happened in my neighborhood just two blocks from my house. After the program last week when I came home, we were I was going to where we live in Chicago, uh, heading there. And I saw all these police cars and streets cordoned off. I thought, what in the world is going on here? Well, while I was on the air last week, a Jewish man was walking to synagogue and a man stepped out and began to fire a gun at him. Shot him in the back. And then when the, uh. The police vehicles began to arrive and the emergency vehicle. What happened next was the man stepped out again and began firing at the police and at the emergency vehicle shouting Allahu Akbar, which is God is great in Arabic. Uh, he. The police returned fire. He was struck, critically injured and taken to a local hospital where he is still in recovery. He was charged with 14 criminal acts, including six of attempted murder. But it was interesting at the outset there were no, uh, hate crime charges filed against him. And our alderwoman was very persistent in asking the police to look into that. And sure enough, by the end of the week, by yesterday he was indeed added charges. There were more charges added and he was charged with a hate crime. Well, what was it? This is someone who came out into the Jewish neighborhood and began to fire at a Jewish man just going to synagogue. It is the problem that we are facing in America now. More and more hate crimes against Jewish people. Jewish people are a very small percentage of the United States. Really? Think about it. There's only about 6 million Jewish people out of 330 million. And yet 65% of all hate crimes in America are charged, are carried out against Jewish people. What in the world is going on? Well, Judy, anti-Semitism or hatred of the Jewish people is what Arthur Kark has described as something that is endemic. It means that it's a disease that's always there, and periodically it steps out, surges upward in epidemic proportions. And that's what we're seeing today. Since October 7th, 2023, there have been 10,000 forms of hate crimes against Jewish people in the United States alone. So, by the way, that is why we are having the summit opposing anti-Semitism, uh, very next week. You can still register. All you have to do is go to Openline radio.org. Click on the link. There's the summit that will take place November 9th at Moody Bible Institute all day. Wonderful speakers. Brilliant. I think speakers, uh, you know, uh, doctor Mark Jobe, uh, doctor Don Sweeting, doctor Mitch Glazer. Uh, they will be speaking, uh, my wife evil, will be doing a workshop, uh, so that that will all be, uh, exceptional. God, uh, God has been gracious to me. I'll be able to speak as well.
S2: But.
S1: Here's the thing you need to register to be there. There's a slight fee, but even with that, you you. When you register, you can put the words summit 20, all caps, summit no space, and then two zero. If you put that, then you'll get 20% off the minimal conference registration fee. If you have to come a little bit further and you need hotels, there's hotel availability. Just look at it on the website. Uh open line radio.org. Click on the link there. But the question is why is it that anti-Semitism is endemic? Uh, two passages of Scripture really inform this for me. Uh, the first is in Psalm 83. Psalm 83, when you look at that, it talks about the nations and their hatred. It says in verse two, see how you're speaking to God. Your enemies, O God, make an uproar. Those who hate you. Again, notice who they hate. It's God himself have acted arrogantly. How do they express that hatred of God? They devise clever schemes against your people. They conspire against your treasured ones. They say, come, let us wipe them out as a nation, so that Israel's name will no longer be remembered. That Psalm 83, verses two through four. The very first reason for this endemic hatred of the Jewish people is hatred of the God of Israel. Those who hate the God of Israel will carry out acts of hatred against the people of Israel. They may not even know they hate the God of Israel. They may resent that the God of Israel has chosen the Jewish people. There's all sorts of reasons for that. But they whether they know it or not, it is really intrinsically hatred of the God of Israel. The second reason for endemic anti-Semitism is found in revelation 12. I think that's a passage that explains the mystery of anti-Semitism being endemic of its staying. It starts off with a symbolic woman clothed with the sun, moon, sun and the moon under her feet and a crown of 12 stars on her head. Uh, that's a symbolic depiction of Israel. The the allusion to Joseph's dream in Genesis 37. With these the sun, the moon, and the crown of 12 stars. That all reminds us of Joseph's dream, and it indicates that this woman is actually the nation of Israel, not the political state, but the Jewish people all around the world. That's who she represents. Presents. And then in the middle, there's a second participant in what's going on in this passage. It talks about the dragon. And the dragon is also a symbolic picture. It describes who the dragon is in verse nine. So the great dragon was thrown out the ancient serpent who is called the devil and Satan. So we've got the woman Israel, we've got the devil Satan. And then in verse 13 it says, when the dragon saw that he had been thrown to earth, he persecuted the woman. Again Satan persecutes the woman. Israel. It tells me that there's a theological explanation for hatred of the Jewish people. Once again, the theological explanation is Satan hates whom God loves. Satan opposes whom God has chosen. There is a satanic basis for this terrible history of anti-Semitism. The way I would put it is like in the movie The Count of Monte Cristo at the end, the villain, instead of pointing his gun at the count, points it at the woman he loves. Why? Because he knows it will hurt the count more if he shoots the woman the count loves than if he shoots the count. And that's what I think Satan is doing. He's trying to hurt God, and the way he does it is he points his attack against the Jewish people whom God has chosen and who have a very special place in his plan. So if we want to understand where does anti-Semitism come from? Well, first of all, it's opposition and hatred of the God of Israel and also a satanic hatred for the people of Israel. If you want to learn more about that, be sure to check out our website about the upcoming conference next week. Uh, the summit Opposing anti-Semitism. You can find the link at openline. radio.org. I really do hope you will join us. Well, uh, we have a new resource just today. Something that I'm, uh, very deeply aware of. Uh, what we're, uh, what we are going to offer for those who give a gift of any size, we want to say thank you by sending you. This is an excerpt from the Moody Bible Commentary about Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians that has timeless truth. And sometimes we need a little help unpacking the profound truths, the wisdom of those books. And that's where this excerpt from the Moody Bible Commentary comes in. The book is become a trusted resource for many people. And now you can get this excerpt just on Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians. It will help you if you're preparing a Bible lesson, or leading a home group discussion, or even seeking a deeper understanding in your time in the word when you're reading it on a daily basis. This excerpt will really enrich your study of God's Word, and when you give a gift of any size, we'd like to say thanks by sending you a copy of this excerpt. All you have to do is call (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org. We really appreciate you so much for giving your gift to Open Line. We're going to take a break here. And when we come back we're going to take your questions right away. Uh, so remember the number (877) 548-3675. Now is the time to call. Uh, we'll get you lined up right away, and we'll be talking to you about your questions about the Bible. God and the spiritual life. So don't hesitate. This is Michael Ray Dolnick. You're listening to Open Line on Moody Radio. We'll be right back. And we're back. So glad to be with you on this Saturday morning, talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. Let's go right to the phones. We're going to speak with Joe. Welcome to Open Line. Joe. How can I help you today?
S3: How do you share the gospel with a person who does not believe in the Bible? And I'll take any suggestions, advice or specific instructions. Thank you. Michael.
S1: Well, I'll do my best. Joe. Here's the thing. There aren't a lot of people who believe the Bible. Have you noticed that? Right. There are a lot of people who like the Bible. They say it's a holy book and things like that, but they they can be cynical. And they've gotten more cynical with the rise of the modern New Atheist movement of the last 15 or so 20 years. Uh, and the internet gives a lot of atheistic, anti scriptural, uh, websites opportunity to attack the Bible and such. So, you know, I don't the real issue, first of all is not a person doesn't get to have a personal relationship with God by entering into a confident belief in the inspiration of the Bible. You know, it's by faith in Jesus, the living Word. And so I tend to talk more about the Lord Jesus than I do about the Bible with people. Second thing is, the most important way to talk to anyone about the faith is first by establishing a friendship relationship with them. If you think about it, about casting seed in an agricultural model, the first thing you need to do is break up the soil so that it can receive the seed. So that's what I would say friendship is. Become friends with people. And then, of course, when we're really friends with someone, we can talk about what's going on in our own lives. We can talk about the Lord answered a prayer for me and might say something about that. Uh, also, uh, we might say something like, I have a need, and a bunch of people are praying for me about that. And the person says, really? People are praying for you or mention something that God did for you. This I, God, gave me an unbelievable blessing. It was so wonderful. Tell them. And then the result is you're going to get some thirst there to know more. That's where I think what is? I think we need to raise a flag. Uh, once we've broken up the soil to see if anyone will respond. I love the idea that Joe Aldridge had is we need to love people till they ask us why. Be kind to people. Let them ask us questions. Let them see that we have a vital walk with the Lord. And then we start talking about the Lord. Then we start casting seed. They might ask questions about the Bible then. And then we can defend the authority of Scripture. We can talk about its historical accuracy. We can talk about its supernatural, prophetic revelation, all kinds of things like that. Uh, I think it was, uh, Erwin Lutzer who wrote a book called Seven Reasons You Can Trust the Bible. And what I'm going to ask you to do, Joe, you hang on. We have a copy of that for you. Uh, so that will help you when they finally start asking you questions about the Bible. That will give you some good answers to give them about why you believe the Bible. But the first thing to do is establish that friendship. And in that friendship, talk about what God is doing in your life genuinely. And then when they ask you questions about that, or they want to know more or you get an opportunity, then you'll start talking about things about the Lord, they'll ask you about the Bible. That book will help you. So you're going to hang on for that. Then of course, one of the things that can happen is we can ask questions of friends. We can say, you know, I wouldn't talk to someone else about this, but in the context of a relationship, you might ask someone, are you on a spiritual journey? Do you think, uh, and if they say they are, then you might want to say, well, where do you think you are on your spiritual journey? Where are you? And as you talk about that, where where you are on the spiritual journey, then then you can have an opportunity to talk to them about how you think. Maybe the scriptures will help on your spiritual journey. You might want to read about Jesus in the Gospels, something like that. So that's where I would go. Ultimately, what you're going to find is when someone gets closer and closer, uh, you have to transition from friendship, which is breaking up the soil to, uh, to seed sowing, which is sharing the gospel, uh, and then or concepts related to the gospel, talking about the faith, and then sometimes say, have anyone ever explained to you how you can enter into a personal, forever relationship with God now you're not, uh, cultivating the soil there. You're not sowing seed. What you're going to do there if the person says, no, but I'd like for you to show me you're going to take them through the scriptures and show them how Jesus died for their sins and rose again, and how to trust in him. Put their trust in him to accept his forgiveness and have a forever relationship with God, a personal, forever forgiven relationship with God that's, uh, not cultivating, not sowing, but reaping a harvest. That's the way. That's the steps of sharing your faith. Okay.
S3: Okay. I just could I just make a comment that. Sure. I actually am calling for a friend, and I think she's gotten through all of these steps that you're talking to, to the point where she was beginning, you know, somehow, just a couple days ago, it came up. He doesn't believe in the Bible. You know, he's he's all into talking about God. And you know, these, you know, and I'm not sure about Jesus. It's not my conversation. I know they've talked about God a lot, but. And that door is definitely open and it's been cultivated. But she just hit a wall when he said, I don't believe in the Bible.
S1: Well, it's okay, you know, to to engage with that. You could talk about if it's you or whoever it is, say, uh, here's why I believe the Bible, and you could show some reasons and keep praying. And if they don't want to hear more than what you do is you keep being friends. Uh, because it's it's a good relationship and more opportunity will come up. Uh, there are people I've been talking about the Lord with who I love deeply and, uh, unconditionally. And it's now 30 years, and they're still, you know, I don't believe the Bible, but they interestingly sure respect your confidence in it. They said to me just once, someone just said to me this week, so, uh, that's that's what I would say. Just just keep at it and maybe use that book if I'm going to add something to The agricultural model I just mentioned of of cultivation, sowing and reaping is when you are sowing seeds and they start to germinate, weeds will come up. Those are objections. And like, I don't believe the Bible and that's where you try to answer those objections okay okay.
S3: Thank you so much.
S1: Yep. Okay. Thanks. Thanks for your call, you two. Thanks for your call, Joe. We're going to talk to Dennis in Cleveland, listening on Wkjf. Welcome to Open Line. Dennis. How can I help you?
S4: Hi, doctor. I'd just like to say one thing is that it breaks my heart every time you talk about the Jewish people and what they're suffering and what makes water to my eyes. Um, my question is, um, if the Holy Spirit came down to Mary and planted a seed, but Mary had sin in her body, when Jesus also have sin in that body, I just don't understand that.
S1: Uh, well, this is my understanding of it. You know, there are some people who hold to a what's called a tradition view of the sin nature, and that the sin nature is transmitted through the father seed alone. So Adam, sin has been passed from Adam to every descendant of the human race through the transmission of the sperm that it comes from the man. I'm not sure I believe that. Uh, I think Jesus is our representative head. Uh uh, and Adam was the human head. And the Lord Jesus can represent us and die for our sins and be raised again. Uh, though he was without sin, my understanding is it that he was the God man. And as God, he was not capable of sinning. Uh, because he is deity. So, uh, that's that's how I understand it. And I don't think it has to be passed on by Mary. In my opinion.
S4: I want to thank you. I've learned so much about the Jewish people from you, and I continue to learn, which is a great thing. And I do remember Menachem Begin on, on, on Sadat, that peace treaty. And I thought it was the greatest thing as a teenager to see.
S1: Yeah, I was pretty impressed and amazed with that, too. Thanks for your call, Dennis. Really appreciate it. Uh, we're going to speak. Bye bye. We're going to speak with, uh, Tom in Minnesota, listening on Ktag the word. Uh, hi, Tom. How can I help you today?
S5: Good morning.
S6: Doctor Mike, I have a question about in Genesis chapter 414, Cain is speaking with God, and he says, uh, that pretty much. You've made my life difficult. Anybody who will find me will want to kill me. Where did those people come from?
S1: That's. That's a really, uh. That. And where did Cain get his wife? Are the two main questions people ask me about the creation story. Uh, as I understand it, it appears that that Adam and Eve had other children. They lived. Remember how long people were living back then? Uh, they had children over years and years and years. And I suspect that even though incest would normally be wrong, uh, because there was no one else. Cain had to marry one of his sisters. That's what I would say, because there was no one else to marry. It was just the beginning. It didn't have all the genetic problems that would come with that, because humanity had just begun. And then, uh, the next, uh. Therefore, similarly, who would want to kill him? Obviously, as they were having many children and they were spreading over the world, and their children were marrying and having children, that it was his relatives, his siblings and maybe other relatives that had been born at that point. Uh, that would, would require, uh, that that would want to require, uh, Cain's life for having killed his brother and vengeance. So that's who it was. I would say it was his siblings, uh, first a sibling to marry and then a sibling for those who wanted to go after him. So, uh, thanks for your call, Tom. We're going to talk to Cora in Chicago, listening on our flagship station, Wmbi. Welcome to open Line. Cora, how can I help you?
S7: Yes, I have a question. Um, how do you forgive somebody when you. When you want to, you know. And how do you forgive them when they've done you great harm, but you just can't forget it. How do you forgive when you cannot forget? When you've been through a lot of trauma? And this is. This was my father that abused me very badly.
S5: Mhm.
S1: Well, you you don't have to reconcile with someone that has damaged you or hurt you and been terrible to you. I don't think reconciliation is always the goal, but we do have to forgive and that's a choice that we make. Uh, we have to say I choose to with to take away the, the to forgive the debt. You don't owe me anything, is what you're saying. You don't owe me anything. Uh, I'm getting rid of the debt. And every time you think that this person owes you a debt, you just choose not to say no. I'll never get that debt repaid. I'm going to, uh, I'm just going to let it go. And that's a choice that we have to make over and over and over again. Uh, I hope that helps. That brief answer core. Uh, we're going to a break now, so when we come back, Trisha will be in with the mailbag. Uh, the Febc mailbag. So stay with us. We're coming back with more of your questions in just a moment. Welcome back to Open Line. My name is Michael Radonich. I'm so grateful for the Far Eastern Broadcasting Company because they partner with Open Line to bring you the weekly Febc mailbag. Uh febc. ABC Far Eastern. Far East Broadcasting Company is a terrific organization. They bring the good news to people via media and personal engagement. Their president, Ed Cannon, is a dear friend of mine who is just zealous for the gospel and makes sure that people hear about the Lord all over the world. I want you to check out their podcast. It's called Until All Have Heard. All you have to do is go to fbc.org. That's fbc.org. You can learn about their podcast and much more right there@fbc.org. Joining me right now is Tricia McMillan. She is back after taking a week to recover from Founders Week. She took a Saturday off.
S8: I know that you took the week off. I didn't take the week. I worked the week and then took the Saturday. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
S1: But last week was all I did, right?
S8: I know, I know, it was so good, though. For anyone who doesn't know, this is a, um. Well, it used to be a week long. It was a three day, uh, Bible conference held at Moody Bible Institute, and it was live streamed all over. And I got the privilege to be able to help with that. And it's morning and night, and it goes all day. Well, and you were doing afternoon workshops, um, teaching about anti-Semitism and how to see it and where it comes from and all of that stuff. And you can find all of those, um, you can all of them were streamed and put up on the Moody Bible Institute, um, website. Uh, YouTube channel. YouTube channel that you can find all of those messages. Great stuff. Oh, there was so much good content. Did you have a favorite? Oh, man. Um. You know. Okay, so we pulled we pulled for. I also produce a program called Chris Fabry Live. And one of our programs, we pulled clips from Mark Jobe, Dan Spader and Christopher Ewen because the whole topic of Founder's Week was transformed by the gospel. And we pulled elements from those three messages about how they were transformed and what happens when your life is transformed. And honestly, there was a story that Dan Spader told in illustration where he started his message by talking about his how he was transformed by the gospel and how that happened and the process. And then at the very end, he tells this story that's kind of like a gut punch and makes it takes it full circle. But about the power of prayer of this woman who had prayed for, um, this boy for over ten years, um, and he came back and said, hey, I heard that you believe in Jesus. And there's so much more to the story. And she said, and she just starts crying.
S1: Don't even try and tell it. It's a great story.
S8: Check out Dan Spader's talk. That one was probably a favorite. Anyway. They were they were all fantastic. Um, and the one that I heard lots of people talk about that I it was the only one I missed because I actually had was sleeping and. during that one, um, was, uh, Heather, uh, Holloman, I heard, like, I had multiple people say this one was so good. So lots of lots of different things that you could.
S1: Heather Holloman was phenomenal. And I would encourage, you know, a caller last segment I think, talked about how to share the gospel. Mhm. Uh, wanted to know about that. Do you remember. Yeah. Uh I think go to the YouTube and, and look how this academic academician, uh, an educator and a secular university is able to share the good news. She gave great insights into how to do that. And I'll put a link.
S8: That I'll put a link on our website on our open line radio.org website to the Founder's Week stuff. Yeah. Um, so.
S1: My favorite message, though, I mean, here's the thing is, I love my job, right? Uh, and I. Chris Ewen was Eva's student. Okay. When he first came to Moody. And so I've known him forever and I love the I love it whenever he speaks. And I really was impressed with Heather Holloman and uh, but my I'd never heard HB Charles Exposit the word. Mhm. And I'm like oh my I'd like to hear him every week. I understand why people go to his church. Yeah. Uh wow. What a great sermon. So anyway, yeah, let's, let's talk about this stuff here. But we'll go back.
S8: To the mailbag questions. Yeah.
S1: So yeah, but Founder's Week was phenomenal. I had a great time. Yeah.
S8: So anyway, so I took last week off, so I'm back. Um, Marlene from Ohio listens to Wtxf and says, Ecclesiastes seven verse 28 says, among a thousand people I have found one true man. But among all these I have not found a true woman. Who is this upright man? He says, I know we're all sinners, and the writer doesn't know of Christ. So what is he saying?
S1: He's talking about Bob down the street. That's the only guy. That's it. Uh, no. I think we have to put this. This is wisdom literature. It's putting it in context. Okay. Yeah. So let's start with 720. Uh, this, I think, frames it. It says surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins. Okay. Okay, so there's no one that's perfect. And then when you come to verse 25, it says, I turn my heart to know and to search out and seek wisdom. Uh, it the idea is when it says to seek, it's to to seek to understand experientially. And he's trying to understand is there one upright person? And he says, I began to search. And this is his own personal experience. Uh, he found that there were many women that were deceiving men. Uh, he's he's talking there. Not about godly women. He's talking about immoral women. Uh, And it's true. Think about Solomon. This is Solomon. At the end of his life, he was really brought down by women. And he's not saying he wasn't responsible. I want to be really clear, but he he sees his own failures and his own life. Uh, and then he says, this is what I found, uh, in my search for reality. And he said, I may have met a thousand men, and only one was upright. And I have never, ever met my personal experience. Uh, a woman that was upright. In essence, you come to verse 28 and this is what it is. It uses the word man in a generic sense for humankind. See this this alone I have found this is the bottom line, that God made man upright. But they have sought out many devices. God made people upright. When Adam and Eve were created, they could have chosen obedience, but they didn't. They pursued many schemes and as a result, every other person chooses schemes of disobedience. And that's why there isn't one good righteous man on earth. But when he says, I found one, maybe one man in a thousand that I have encountered and so forth. That doesn't mean that there isn't a woman who lives uprightly, but that he hasn't met her yet. That's not his personal experience. What his understanding is every person's sins. God made humanity upright, but they have sought out many devices. So it's talking about really everyone being sinful.
S8: Okay, so he's not saying he is. This is not a prophetic thing about Jesus.
S1: No. And it's not a sexist thing about man being better than women. Yeah, okay. Listen, if there's only one upright man that he ever found that he ever tried to understand. Theoretically, uh. And he found one man that was upright out of a thousand. That's pretty bad. Bad score. Right? So. Right. Yeah. Okay.
S8: Thank you. Thank you for that. And thank you for that question, Merlin. Our next question, uh, kind of goes to the not uprightness of men. Um, Steve in Manitoba listens to K and W, which is a station I grew up listening to K often W and Alexa. And then, um, he wants to know in first Kings two, verses five and six, David King David is giving a charge to his son Solomon. Um, that says, you also know what Joab, son of Zariah, did to me and what he did to the two commanders of Israel's army Abner, son of ner, and Amasa, son of Jether. He merged them in a time of peace to avenge bloodshed and war. He spilled that blood on his own waistband and on the sandals of his feet. Act according to your wisdom, and do not let his gray head descend to Sheol in peace. Why would David have kept Joab around all those years if Joab was so deserving of death?
S1: Think of Joab as David's secretary of defense, or chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He was a very effective military leader. Okay. And, uh, he was also someone that was, uh, morally corrupt, filled with vengeance. Uh, I think David was a pragmatist and helped kept him around for his, uh, administration. Uh, I think this shows, once again that David was not perfect. He had God's heart, but he wasn't perfect. And that's why he he but he didn't want to act against him because he needed him. Mm.
S8: Okay. So it was just a political, military decision kind of to keep him around. And you kind of take the bad with the good, as it were. Yep.
S1: That's what I think it is.
S8: Okay, so he talks about don't let his grey head descend to Sheol in peace. What was the Old Testament belief, um, about eternal life or what happened? Virginia and Ohio is kind of wondering about that.
S1: Sheol was basically the place of the dead. And there was a it's where where everyone went when they died. Uh, some went to be to a place of comfort with the Lord and some, uh, there wasn't a whole lot in the Old Testament about it, but some went to Sheol, to the place of the dead, separated from God. Some went to the place of the dead. And they they were with God. That's that's just it.
S8: So Sheol was, uh, kind of like just a general word. General word for where they went when they died. And depending on who the person was, it was either to comfort the Lord or not. So, so like, okay, so I was just saying the afterlife would kind of be the equivalent where that might mean you're going to heaven if you believe in Christ or you're going to hell, like, uh, kind of that general term idea.
S1: Well, uh, well, it becomes clarified as we go on, uh, in Scripture. You know, there's, uh, you know, a lot of people are confused about hell, uh, really hell. Because because what happens is the the Greek translation in the New Testament of, of Sheol becomes Hades. But the King James Version translates it hell.
S8: Oh, okay.
S1: But really, when we're talking about eternal separation from God, that's the lake of fire. That's really technically hell. And that's only going to be after the resurrection and the the great White throne judgment, resurrection of of all the living, uh, all who have ever lived. And those who don't know the Lord will go through the Great White Throne judgment after the Millennial Kingdom, and they will then go into the new creation. Instead of going to the new creation, they will go to the Lake of Fire. It is. There's a lot of confusion. Maybe sometime I ought to teach about it. Uh, I've tried to explain it in an answer here or there, but it's, uh.
S8: There's a lot. There's a lot more to unpack.
S1: Yeah, yeah. Okay. But that'll that'll just be it. It's. It's just. Sheol was the place of the dead. That's that's where it is. And there is a place of comfort with God, like Lazarus went to. And there was a place of suffering awaiting ultimate judgment where the rich man went. Okay. That would be a way of doing it. Okay. Hey. You know. Thank you. Yeah. Uh. Uh, there there's someone that's going to be asking a question I see coming up.
S8: Yes, I did see that one.
S1: And I want to, uh, let's let's take a break here. And now when I talk to that person, I'm going to mention also what it means to become a kitchen table partner. Perfect. Uh, not for that person necessarily to do it. But that's the question that's related. And you'll see why in a minute. Hey, thanks for pulling those questions together, Tricia. You're welcome. We're we're going to come back in just a bit with a question from Debbie in Chicago. So, Debbie, you hang on and you're listening to Open Line with Michael Radonich and and Tricia McMillan. We'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. My name is Michael Radonich. I'm so glad to be with you. Uh, I want to go right to the phones and talk with Debbie in Chicago, listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line, Debbie. How can I help you?
S5: Hi.
S9: Thank you. Michael. I am a kitchen table partner, but I had some trouble, uh, some computer trouble with links. I'm just kind of learning my new computer and getting online. But I did see the Bible study moment that you mentioned the synagogue of Satan, you know, and I've seen that before. Of course, in revelations three, when he talked to the Church of Philadelphia. Um, why? Specifically, did he address that? Was it because they were giving the Philadelphia. Believers such a hard time? Uh, or.
S1: You know what? Uh, let me let me try to answer. Okay. Okay I will. The synagogue of Satan is used two times, uh, in the book of revelation. In revelation two and in revelation three, it appears to be referring to people who were teaching. Well, let me just say how it's often been understood in the history of the church. It has been understood that somehow this is a reference to all Jewish people, and that the synagogue where Jewish people were worshiping were, uh, were all of Satan. And it's that the Jewish people were satanic, and it's a terribly anti-Semitic perception. I think about it. Uh, where did the Lord Jesus do his teaching? He went to all the synagogues. Matthew nine says in Galilee and taught the word. Look at the book of acts. Where did Paul go when he wanted to preach the gospel to start with? He always, in every city started in the synagogue. I can't imagine them going to the Lord Jesus or Paul going to a place that was satanic to preach the gospel, uh, or to even teach the word to the people in those places as he was. So I think that we have to think about it somewhat, somewhat differently. Uh, you remember the problem of Galatian ism, of legalism, where there were some Jewish people from Jerusalem who were going up into the Gentile areas and telling them they needed to convert to Judaism first and be circumcised, converted to Judaism, then they can believe in Jesus. And they were adding a work. Well that became that was at very early Galatians, a fairly early book by Paul, uh, written between acts 14 and 15, in that time frame. And I think what has happened is that now Gentiles who went ahead and did adopt this Galatians view, this legalistic view that a person needed to be converted to Judaism before they could believe in Jesus. They were the ones going around and making trouble theologically for the churches there, for example, in Philadelphia. And, uh, and so as a result of that, uh, the the Lord corrects them and he says and he says this of both, I will take those from the synagogue of Satan who claim to be Jews and are not. That's the description. Likely. This is a reference to Gentile Christians who have converted to Judaism. And then they say they believe in Jesus and they say they are Jewish, but they're not, because you really can't, uh, become Jewish by just converting like that. Uh, by adopting the, the circumcision. It's part of being is part of being an ethnic group. It's part of being a nation, a particular nation. And so as a result, he's correcting these legalists who weren't even Jewish and advocating this, this false teaching about that. A person needed to be circumcised before they could believe in Jesus, but they weren't even Jewish. Likely. So now, uh, Debbie, I hope that helps explain it. The reason I mentioned this with the kitchen table partner. Uh, is that I'm in a series now that I send out exclusive Bible study, uh, designed for our kitchen table partners, those who give monthly to open line, I send every other week. A Bible study moment takes a few minutes to listen. You can click on it. Debbie, you got to get better at your computer so that you can listen to that one. But here's the point. Uh, that was my very first in the series that I'm doing on alleged anti-Semitism in the New Testament. Uh, people have pointed out to that passage that, Debbie, you were talking about that mentions the Synagogue of Satan as teaching that the New Testament is somehow intrinsically anti-Semitic. It's not. And so I'm going to do 5 or 6 passages that people have pointed to and say, oh, the New Testament is anti-Semitic, and we're going to go over those in upcoming weeks. So what does it mean to be a kitchen table partner? It's giving monthly so we can be on the air weekly with, uh, uh with Open line. And then you can, uh, what you can do is you can become a kitchen table partner by giving and and then also what we'll do is we'll send you a copy of that Bible study moment every other week. Uh, if you'd like to think about becoming a kitchen table partner, call (888) 644-7122 or go to open line radio.org. Also when you go to open line radio.org. Chosen People Ministries has a gift for you. Uh, this month it's called, uh, the portion. It's based on the weekly Torah portion. What's read in the synagogue every week from the Torah. And it shows the practicality, uh, the usefulness of Scripture that the whole Bible is inspired, including the Pentateuch, the Torah. Uh, I think you're going to find that really helpful devotional book. And the way you get that is just go to the open line web page, open line radio.org. Scroll down. You'll see a link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Uh, and then you can click on that. It'll take you to a page. You can sign up for your very own copy of the portion that's really encouraging devotional about the Torah. Well, can you believe that? That's the first hour. Everyone keep listening. There's a second hour of Open Line coming up on most of these stations. Remember, if your station doesn't carry Open line the second hour, you can always listen on the Moody Radio app. You can go online, you can listen on the On pod via podcast through the podcast system of your smartphone. During the break, check out our web page, Open Line radio.org. It's got all the links you're looking for. The Bible study across America will continue in the second hour, so stay with us. Open line with Doctor Michael Radonich is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. We'll be right back.