S1: 99% of people who experience the Holy Land in person say it has profoundly affected their faith. But not everyone can go to Israel, especially as the conflict there drags on. But if you lack the time, money and energy to travel, you can still enjoy an immersive and educational tour of the Bible Lands without leaving your home. Are you intrigued? Well, join us now for the land and the book from Moody Radio. Our host is Middle East expert Doctor Charlie Dyer, and I'm John Gager. Well, Charlie Israel has been so much in the news this past year. We're coming up on the one year anniversary of the attack. And of course, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and Jesus return. It is crucial for us as believers, though, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture and not just today's headlines. Right?
S2: That's absolutely true, John. And with that in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. Now, this informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. If you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: And now a look at current events from the Middle East. Last Sunday, Hezbollah finally made good on its threat to attack Israel, launching 230 rockets and 20 drones. How successful was that attack? And more importantly, is the threat over or could more attacks be expected?
S2: You know, Hezbollah's attack against Israel was timed to coincide with the end of a Shiite religious period called Arba'een, marking the end of a 40 day mourning period for Husayn ibn Ali, a grandson of Muhammad who was killed in battle. A Hezbollah actually called their attack Operation Arba'een Day. Now, in spite of their public statements afterward, the attack really wasn't a success because Israel launched a preemptive strike with 100 Israeli fighter jets knocking out thousands of rocket launchers just before they were set to fire. Hezbollah falsely claimed their attack hit major Israeli bases, causing great destruction and disruption. This was their way to save face as reports came in showing how little damage was done. Some Arab social media mocked Hezbollah, saying their long awaited retaliation struck little more than a chicken coop. Leaders throughout the region responded by demanding the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701, which was adopted back in 2006, and it called for UN peacekeepers and the Lebanese Army to be the only armed forces deployed in South Lebanon. Now that matches Israel's call for Hezbollah's forces to be repositioned north of the Litani River and away from Israel's border. Only time will tell if Israel's preemptive strike was successful in deterring Hezbollah. Israel's goal was to demonstrate it wasn't in Hezbollah's best interest to take the region into war. They were careful only to attack Hezbollah's military sites. They didn't go after Lebanese infrastructure or civilians. Now, afterward, both Hezbollah and Israel said these attacks weren't necessarily the end of the story, and each reserved the right to strike again. However, it's unclear if this was a genuine threat on Hezbollah's part or just verbal jousting. One interesting aspect of the attack is the fact that Iran didn't join in with Hezbollah in launching its threatened attack. Likely, the increased U.S. military presence in the area was a major factor. It's also possible they wanted to gauge the level of response they might expect from Israel, were they to attack in a similar way. It's too early to say that there won't be any future attacks by Hezbollah or by Iran, but they do have to pause and think about the high level of detailed intelligence possessed by Israel, and by the ability of Israel's air power to conduct such a large number of precision strikes. In the meantime, though, watch as Iran and Hamas try to work together to organize an armed terrorists in several West Bank cities and towns to create more problems for Israel. These towns include Nablus and Jenin and Tulkarem. Iran is trying to smuggle in weapons while Hamas is working to organize terrorist cells in those towns. Israel has now launched a major counterterrorism operation in the West Bank to stop this threat from expanding.
S1: Well, Hamas has rejected the latest proposals for a ceasefire and hostage deal. Does this mean the negotiations have entirely collapsed, or are they on life support, Charlie?
S2: It really depends on the person being asked. The Biden administration insists that the process is still moving forward. They're quite optimistic, but few others in the region or few other countries see much progress or hope for success. Last Sunday, Hamas claimed they'd rejected this most recent ceasefire following the Cairo talks. And to emphasize that fact, they fired one of their few remaining rockets at central Israel. Many inside and outside Israel are unfairly blaming Prime Minister Netanyahu for the collapse, saying he continues adding additional conditions. Here's what needs to be kept in mind. Hamas began this conflict when it launched an unprovoked attack on Israel on October 7th, killing over 1200 Israelis, mostly civilians. Hamas officials boasted that they attacked in part to derail the normalization process taking place between Israel and the surrounding Arab countries, especially Saudi Arabia. They also said they'll never recognize a two state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Hamas won't accept the existence of the State of Israel. After taking over Gaza in 2007, Hamas began building up its military forces by digging tunnels into Egypt to import weapons and equipment for manufacturing rockets and bombs. The attack on October 7th was meticulously planned for years. Given the opportunity, Hamas will begin digging new tunnels to rearm and return to their original plan. And that's one key reason Prime Minister Netanyahu has been so adamant about controlling the narrow strip of land between Gaza and Egypt. Israel has choked off Hamas's supply lines for weapons, and they don't want to allow Hamas to rearm there. Their mediators are still working, having decided to set these issues aside to deal with at the very end. Sadly, that likely means more pressure is going to be put on Israel at that time to give in for the sake of a deal.
S1: So, Charlie, am I understanding you correctly that weapons and bombs and all of the materials that go with it are being slowed as far as their flow into Hamas controlled territories in Gaza.
S2: They are being choked off dramatically. In fact, Hamas is running out of rockets to fire and bullets to fire. So Israel's plan is succeeding, which is one of the reasons that Hamas wants Israel out of that philadelphi corridor.
S1: This is the land. And the book from Moody Radio, our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, working us through a look at current events as Israel's conflict with Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran drags on. One of the lesser known casualties has been Israel's tourism industry. What's happening to tourism in Israel?
S2: Well, you know, as I talked to the people in the tourism industry, they're my heart goes out to them. It has been hit particularly hard. You know, for two years, Covid shut down tourism worldwide, including Israel. It finally revived, only to be shut down again by Hamas on October 7th. Now it's almost been a year and tourism has taken a major hit, but the impact hasn't been felt by all Israelis who were forced to flee their homes next to Gaza and along the border with Lebanon were sent to hotels in Jerusalem and down by the Dead Sea. So the hotels were nearly full for the past year, though not with tourists. That's starting to change as Israelis near Gaza especially, have been returning to their communities. But many biblical sites saw a drop in tourism. While some Israelis took time to visit national parks, the crowds have been much smaller, and tour groups continue to cancel trips because of the fear of the war. Though as far as I can tell, there hasn't been a single major incident impacting tourists in Israel. An even bigger issue, though, has been flight cancellations. Most American carriers have temporarily suspended flights to Israel, so groups wanting to travel to Israel really have few options. El al is flying, but its flights are full. Most Israeli tour guides have gone almost a year without any groups, forcing some to look for other employment. Sadly, if the situation doesn't turn itself around in the next month or so, it could take years to rebuild the tourism infrastructure, including hotels and guides and drivers and restaurants. And all of this has drained Israel's economy, harming both Jewish and Arab workers in the tourism industry.
S1: Well, running clinical trials for potential drug therapies is a lengthy, complex and costly process. But an artificial intelligence platform designed by an Israeli startup is hoping to make the process run more smoothly and for less cost. Tell us about this new approach to drug trials from Amazing Israel. Yeah, the.
S2: Israeli startup companies called Quant Health, and they're using AI to combine over 1 trillion data points to simulate real world efficacy in their clinical trial simulator. The program will run clinical trial simulations on drugs under development, predicting risks and outcomes while allowing thousands of simulated trials to take place simultaneously. They can simulate both drugs and patients, exposing virtual patients to virtual treatments, and the goal is to develop a more cost effective way to enable companies to conduct these trials, which now cost about $100 billion annually. They use anonymous records from over 350 million patients to simulate how each patient with his or her unique health history, would react to certain drugs under development. And to test the program, they ran simulations on drugs already available, and they found that it had an accuracy rate of 85%, cutting the time down from years to months to determine whether actual clinical trials could move forward could speed the development of life saving drugs while lowering their cost. And that's another game changer in process right now from Amazing Israel.
S1: Thank you Charlie. Coming up, a conversation about reading the Bible Lands. What are we talking about? You'll find out next on the land and the book. 99% of people who experience the Holy Land in person say it as profoundly affected their faith. But not everyone, of course, can go to Israel. So if you lack the time, money and energy for travel, you can still enjoy an immersive and educational tour of the Bible Lands. Are you intrigued? I am This is the Land and the book from Moody Radio. I'm John Gager and before we talk further about reading the Bible with virtual tours, let's think of a unique way to love our Jewish friends and neighbors with the love of Christ. Do's and don'ts. When it comes to sharing your faith, are there any of those that come to mind. Let's ask Beth Taplin. She's with the Olive tree congregation in suburban Chicago. What are some do's and maybe some don'ts, Beth, that come to your mind?
S3: Well, do share your faith with the Jewish person. Don't be afraid. I think there are, in my experience, two different kinds of Jewish people, some that are more biblical observant, and others who don't know much about the Bible. Yes. And I think we are more ready to share with someone who doesn't know about the Bible. But those who are biblical observant also need to know about the Messiah, and they don't have a personal relationship with him. And if you are able to share your relationship with the Lord with the Jewish person, it doesn't matter what they think they know or don't know, it's about the Lord and what they are lacking.
S1: But what about my fears that maybe they may know more than I know and I'm all intimidated.
S3: Trust the Lord. He will lead you through it, and it'll be okay.
S1: Great encouragement from Beth Tevlin. She's congregational administrator and co-leads the women's ministry at Olive Tree Congregation. Appreciate your being bold and sharing with us, Beth. Sure. Wayne Styles loves connecting the Bible and its lands to life. Today, his goal to deliver practical content to encourage believers in their relationship with God. Wayne has written four devotional books and has created some really great video tools we'll talk about as well. Wayne and his family live in Texas, have two adult daughters and a son in law. It has been way too long since we've had him on the program. So welcome back to the land and the book, Wayne.
S4: Well, thank you, John. It's always great to be with you. I appreciate the conversation.
S1: We're familiar, of course, with reading the Bible, but how did you arrive at the title of this series, Reading the Bible Lands?
S4: Yeah, well, I put together a reading program. I mean, many Christians read the Bible every year or every few years, and I just put together a reading program that allows people to also include the lands of the Bible with their Bible reading.
S1: So reading the Bible Lands is actually a series of devotionals. How many volumes in the series?
S4: Well, it's, uh, we're going to have 16 volumes, which includes the whole Bible. It's quite a job. All right.
S1: Right now, not all 16 are done. So how many have we released so far?
S4: Eight. So that concludes the Old Testament.
S1: I noticed as I flip through some of these, they're just really well done. A beautiful layout, gorgeous photos, obviously superb content. You're a great writer, but talk about those pictures that are so lavishly on display.
S4: Well, you know, when we read the Bible, we always talk about reading in context. And of course that's important. I mean, the words on the page, the paragraphs before and after, even the historical context is important. But there's also a geographical context that you and I love so well and a lot of people maybe not familiar with. So I put up pictures with each day's Bible reading that go along with what you're reading. So if you're reading about something in the land of Edom, then there's a photo there that gives you a little bit of a geographical context to the words on the page.
S1: I don't think we ever outgrow our love of photos in books. You know, when we're talking about something, it's just plain nice to see it. Well, as I spend time with the devotionals, it feels very much like you really want the reader to come away with not just the sense of the passage, but the place of the passage. Why is that so important for us?
S4: Well, because our faith is rooted in reality, in time and space and history. These aren't just stories that we're reading in the book, in the Bible. They really happened, and they happened in a real place that you can go and visit today. So just having these places, these photos or videos with this Bible reading plan allows you to make that connection that our faith is is real. It's rooted in real places. Yeah.
S1: Wayne Styles is all about encouraging believers in their relationship with God. He joins us today on the land and the book. Hey, tell me something. As you've spent time researching and writing, any surprises that have come to you? I mean, you you've been with the word for a long time, but I bet there are some things that have you come over you and you said, wow, I, I guess I never thought of that.
S4: Yeah. You know, as many times as we read through the Bible, I'll always come upon a new place that I've never heard of before. I guess maybe I'm a little embarrassed to say that as much as I love the lands of the Bible, I'll be reading through and I'll find places that I've never heard of. And so I'll pull out my atlas. And sometimes they've never heard of them. So. But I guess one example is like the book of Job. You know, he lived in the land of Oz, and if you read various commentaries or atlases, nobody's really sure where Oz was. But the fact that it was somewhere, wherever it was gives us, again, just a connection to the fact that job really lived. He really lived some place. He really suffered and he really grew in his walk with God. So the land of Oz is just as real as the suffering of job.
S1: It sort of calls to mind a Doctor Seuss kind of feel where Oz was. Yeah, but it's a real place, even if to our ears it sounds funny. You know, as I read the devotionals, one of the reactions that I had. Yeah, there are moments of challenge, but overall there's a certain calming effect. I don't know how or why I reached that conclusion, but it's just something that that I connect with as I'm reading your work. You do a great job.
S4: Well thank you John. I appreciate that the goal of the devotionals isn't to preach, or certainly to condemn or give guilt, but to encourage, you know, to encourage the positive takeaways from the Word of God. And also to I think there's even questions at the end of each of these devotionals that just encourage you to go a little deeper and put some personal application on it, because that's what it's all about. Like Paul said, the goal of our instruction is love. We we want to apply the Bible, not just read it.
S1: Wayne Styles is all about encouraging believers in their relationship with God, and joins us today on the land and the book. Hey, complete this sentence, Wayne. If we really understood the land of the Bible, it would what for us?
S4: It would help us better understand the Bible itself, because the context in which the Bible was written wasn't just to nowhere, it was to all the lands that surround the land of Israel, of course, in the land of Israel itself. So better we understand the land of the Bible, the better we're going to understand the Word of God and be able to better apply it.
S1: I like the fact that with every day's reading, you have given us space to think, process, and write. You know, there's not a huge list of, you know, fill in the blank kind of questions. But I do think we need space to write down our thoughts. And I'm learning that for me, it's the only way to really hang on to the impressions, the nudges, the lessons that the Holy Spirit, I think is trying to teach me. So appreciate that. What are your thoughts on that inclusion of that space for writing?
S4: Yeah, I've just found that's helpful to actually do the physical writing. You know, in this day and age of technology, we're all about either typing or using our thumbs, but to actually have a pencil or a pen and spend the time doing the old way of actually writing our thoughts, there's actually research that confirms the fact that if we use a pencil. This tactile use of our of our hands that what we're writing sticks with us a lot longer than if we were to just type it into a computer.
S1: Yet you have touched on something here in my own spiritual journey. Maybe because I'm, you know, part A.D.D. or something. I for many years was frustrated because I felt like I could open my Bible and go through a regular Bible reading plan or a personal study of a Bible book. And I'd close the cover of the Bible. And, you know, in 60s my mind was on other things, and I could, you know, you know, just be as scumbag a Christian as as I never wanted to be, you know, a minute or two after finishing my devotions, it just didn't stick. And so I explored, against my own wishes, the idea of writing it down. I mean, I fought that tooth and nail, but it has made a difference to take the time, make the discipline, to write down what I think God might be speaking to me. So you've I think you've captured it well.
S4: Yeah, I love the way you put that. Um, a couple of years ago, I came up with a phrase that has helped me and has helped some others as well. But you never want to close the Bible without something to apply. And if you ever do, close it and you think, what can I do today? Then maybe it's time to open it back up and take a second look, because that's what it's all about is applying the Bible.
S1: Yeah, Wayne Styles loves connecting the Bible and its lands to life today, and he does it through his books and his unique video segments. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager, and in addition to the actual text of reading the Bible Lands books, you have created some really terrific videos that greatly enhance our reading of the Bible. These videos show the places in the scriptures that we read about each week. Before we talk about how to access those videos, tell us more about the content. How long are they and what makes them unique?
S4: Well, the videos are probably around ten minutes each, and the full program covers every land of the Bible, every country that surrounds Israel. Of course, Israel itself, but also Greece, Turkey, Egypt, I mean all the Bible lands. And I guess what makes them unique is that it's it shows you the places where the Word of God occurred, but then it also takes it to the next level and says, here's what difference that can make in your life.
S1: They're so well done. And I'm curious, though, let us behind the curtain. What are some of the challenges that you faced in creating these videos for us?
S4: Well, it turns out not all countries are that keen on having you show up with a video camera. And I won't name any countries specifically because I wouldn't want to embarrass Egypt. But it is a challenge to to show up and to want to film some of these biblical places. And people sometimes get nervous. That's probably one of the biggest challenges, but overall it's been a wonderfully positive experience.
S1: Hey, what's one of your favorite videos and why?
S4: I think my one of my favorites is the video on Patmos, because the drone just is able to fly all over that island, and to give us literally a bird's eye view that we wouldn't have otherwise. This wonderful island where the Apostle John was exiled to and received the the Book of Revelation. It's just stunning, the beautiful panoramas and of course the the music and just all the visuals, the the biblical content that goes along. I just think it kind of came together pretty well.
S1: Is Patmos a rocky place, a hilly place, a desert beaches? Describe Patmos.
S4: It's all of that except for desert, I think it's a it's very rocky, very hilly. And there are beaches. Of course, every bit of shoreline is a bit of beach. One of the neatest beaches is called Pasilla Armas. It's a couple of Greek words that means fine sand, and it's actually the words that the Apostle John used in revelation 13, where he said he saw the beast coming out of the sea. He stood on the sand. So you can go to Patmos today and stand on the very beach where it's possible that the Apostle John had in his mind when he wrote revelation 13.
S1: How about another favorite video scene? Or maybe a challenge along the way, one that you went, I don't think we're going to get this done, but you eventually did.
S4: Um, a challenge along the way. Um, I don't know, John. I'd have to stop and think about that. Um.
S1: All right. I'll let you off the hook on that one, but I won't let you off the hook in asking, how do we take advantage of these videos? You've got so many of them, and there's a subscription option, I'm told. How does this all work?
S4: Well, if you want to use it in coinciding with your reading of the Bible. You would just go to reading the Bible Fans.com. And that page there talks all about the program, the reading program, as well as the videos and how to get access to them.
S1: Okay, so this is a great series and I encourage you to check it out. One other thought that we might not have considered why these videos in understanding the scriptures, it seems obvious. It's nice to see this stuff, nice to see these places, but something that we might not have thought about that you have uncovered as you've worked on them.
S4: Well, you sort of told us in your introduction, John, the statistic that 99% of those who experience the lands of the Bible say it has a profound impact on their walk with God. Honestly, that's why I'm so committed to ministry. That includes the lands of the Bible because it impacts people. And I know, you know, as you've taken people to Israel, you've seen how they've reacted to it, how it's blessed them, how it's blessed you personally. But not everybody can go. And so these videos are really the next best thing to give them that encouragement.
S1: And we encourage you to check out Reading the Bible Lands. There's a link to Wayne's website at ours, the Land and the book org. Thank you for making the time to visit with us, Wayne. We sure appreciate you.
S4: Thank you John. It's always a pleasure.
S1: And our friend Charlie Dyer is back. He's got Bible answers for your Bible questions all ahead on the land and the book. Thanks for your company today at the land and the book. Nice to have you listening. And by the way, if you've ever got a comment for us, something that you'd like to share, maybe an encouraging word about how God has used the program. Our email address is the Land and the book@moody.edu. It's segment three. Charlie, what are we about to do?
S2: We're about to answer our listeners questions. If they've got questions, hopefully we have answers.
S1: All right. I'm looking forward to that. But, you know, Israel has been in the news a lot over the past year. And as we know, the Bible is pretty packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and the ultimate event, Jesus soon return. And it's crucial, it seems to me, for us as believers, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy so that our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not just today's headlines.
S2: Absolutely. And with this in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, Door. Visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Roger has an interesting question. To start things off, what is your best guess as to what happened to Noah's Ark after the flood was over and civilization began again? He says, I don't know of any biblical description of what possibly happened to it, so I know this would be conjecture on your part.
S2: Yeah, my best guess. And really, that's all it can be right now, is that the Ark remained on Mount Ararat and likely disintegrated over time in a wet climate like the one there with rain and snow. Even the most durable wood would eventually decay. The next few chapters of Genesis tell us the descendants moved away from the area, eventually settling in modern day Iraq, where they built the Tower of Babel. The Ark simply fell into slow decay and decline, so whatever material remains there were, they likely vanished.
S1: Robert says our Bible group is studying numbers eight. Aaron lighting the lamps of the candlestick. Were there separate bowls on each branch that were removable to allow for lighting the center top bowl first, then from there lighting the six bowls on the branches from the top branch bowl. How did Aaron light the six branches from the center lamp, and how did they transport this lampstand when moving in the wilderness? Wanderings. In other words, how was the fire kept lit when transporting?
S2: Yeah, those are great questions. Now, the Bible doesn't really provide explicit answers. Now, I've taken the bowls on top to be part of the menorah that was made from a solid piece of hammered gold. Now, Jewish tradition adds some other details, but those details aren't found in the Bible. I don't believe the menorah was kept lit while they traveled. Likely either coals were kept in a container to help relight the lamps, or else they used flint to start a new fire, but the lamp was kept lit all night while the tabernacle was set up, but probably not when the tabernacle was disassembled and the pieces were then being carried along.
S1: A question from Eric. He says, are there any ministries that work in Israel to help needy people and help to tell people in Israel about Jesus? Is there a way to determine which ministries working in Israel are doing a good job for anybody who might want to donate?
S2: Yeah, and there are several ministries. And let me suggest two. This this isn't the total limit, but here's two that I can suggest. The first is Joel Rosenberg's Joshua Fund, and the second is the Jerusalem Assembly House of redemption, pastored by Menno Kalischer. Now both are evangelical and evangelistic. Both provide practical and spiritual help, and you can find more information on either group by googling them. That's Joel Rosenberg's Joshua Fund or Menno Kalischer. And if you Google his name and Assembly House of Redemption Jerusalem, you'll find them.
S1: This is the land of the book from Moody Radio answering your questions about the Bible prophecy in the Middle East, like this one from Richard. He says, I just finished reading your book, Charlie Experiencing the Land of the book, I loved it. I did have one question. You didn't include Cana in your travelogue, but I wondered if you had any information on it. Do you know anything about this? Yeah.
S2: Thanks for the comments on the book. The one main reason I didn't include Cana is I don't believe the traditional site is authentic. It's near Nazareth, but it fits when people are driving through the country. But it's probably not the one that was mentioned in John two. Now there are at least two other possibilities, but they're almost never visited by tourists. And as I was putting that book together, I couldn't include everything. So Cana was one that I chose to leave out.
S1: Jim wants to know, could you help me understand any differences between Calvinism and Reformed theology?
S2: Yeah, this is a difficult question, at least for me to answer, partly because it's more theological than biblical in nature. And I think also because different theologians disagree in their definition of those terms. So I start this way. Take what I'm going to say now with a heavy dose of salt. I would say those who hold to reformed theology are also Calvinists, but not all Calvinists accept all the tenets of reformed theology. It seems to me the dividing line centers around inspiration and authority of God's Word. Most reformed theologians accept biblical inspiration and authority, but I don't necessarily see that being true of all who claim to be Calvinists. Some schools, for example, that identify themselves as Calvinistic, don't necessarily hold to verbal plenary inspiration, while almost all reformed schools and churches do. Now, that may be a very simplistic answer, but it's probably the best I can provide.
S1: All right. A critical comment from James here. Holidays and events like Father's Day and Mother's Day seem to be only a US tradition. Seems like these days and traditions are made up for people in the USA. But imagine living in the Middle East or some other country and hearing programs that celebrate Father's Day or Mother's Day or some other made up US holiday. Christianity is not USA only. Who are you trying to please in your broadcast? Do the promoters of your program gear the land and the book to USA listeners only? When is Christianity going to stop being USA driven? Yeah, well.
S2: And I'll start this way. Actually, Mother's Day and Father's Day are celebrated beyond our borders. Now, the date isn't always the same, but Americans aren't the only ones celebrating. And the biblical injunction to honor our father and our mother really form a good foundation for setting aside a specific day to celebrate in this way. Now, in terms of who we're trying to please in the program, the real answer, I think, is the Lord. I believe the point of the devotional I gave on Father's Day, for example, was a reminder that God is the father to the fatherless. So I don't apologize for using the devotional to do that. We seek to honor the Lord, and one way to do that is to encourage listeners to obey God by honoring their parents. Holidays like Mother's Day and Father's Day just happened to be a natural time to remind people of that truth.
S1: Rene says, I was in a discussion the other day about forgiveness, and somebody said, forgiving isn't forgetting, it's just remembering without anger. They also suggested forgiveness can't be extended unless repentance is first expressed. Am I missing something?
S2: You know, I think some people do try to split hairs when they suggest we only forgive when someone truly repents, or that we can somehow forgive but not forget. Now, first, in Luke 23, Jesus prayed for the soldiers who were crucifying him, and he said, father, forgive them, for they don't know what they're doing. Now his prayer asking for forgiveness isn't based on any repentance on the part of the soldiers. Also in Matthew 18, when Peter asks how many times he has to forgive someone who sinned against him, Jesus doesn't condition forgiveness there on the need for repentance on the part of the offending party. Peter was willing to forgive seven times, but Jesus said, no, it needs to be 70 times seven, which I think is a hypothetical grand number suggesting you need to extend forgiveness an infinite number of times. Still another verse. Again, a bunch of verses come to mind, but still another one I think of is Ephesians 426. We're told when we get angry not to sin, and we're told to be sure not to let the sun go down on our wrath. Now, when it comes to the thought of forgiving is not forgetting. I struggle to match that up. You know, in Hebrews 812, God said, I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more. Now my fear is that when someone says, I'll forgive, but I won't forget, I'm not sure they've truly forgiven. And I think that's the point. Being stressed there in that Hebrews 812 passage. You know God can't ever forget something since he's omniscient. But the verses suggesting that true forgiveness from a human perspective is as if we've forgotten the offense that took place. I can't push the divine human analogy too far, but I think that's what it's being said there. So I believe when we forgive, even when someone hasn't asked to be forgiven, we're mirroring what Jesus did on the cross. And it allows us to guard against harboring resentment, which can produce a root of bitterness, which Hebrews 1215 says we're not supposed to have. One mark of true forgiveness on our part is that the memory of the offense will fade over time, so that we don't dwell on it.
S1: One last question from Jeanne. During the millennium, Satan will be bound, but will the demons and evil spirits also be bound?
S2: Now, I believe the demons will also be bound with Satan during the Millennial Kingdom. And I say that because in revelation 12, Satan is clearly pictured as the leader of the angels who rebelled against God. And when Satan was cast out of heaven, his followers, those fallen angels were cast out as well. So when Satan is then confined in the abyss for a thousand years, I believe the same thing will happen to his followers.
S1: Well, we'd love to hear from you again. And if you've got a question that you'd like to put before Charlie. Email is the ticket. And here's the address, the land and the Dot edu. That's the land and the book@moody.edu. And if you haven't checked out our podcast lately, it's there at the website. Share it with a friend. Won't you let them know about it when you visit the land and the book? Org. Charlie Dyer's devotional is next right here on the land and the book. Your Bible is not just a good book. It's a great book. It is utterly and entirely inspired. What does that mean? We'll dig into that as we hear from Charlie Dyer in a moment. His devotional, the last in his series, the three over 16 series, takes us to where today, Charlie.
S2: Uh, takes us to second Timothy 316.
S1: Okay, I'm looking forward to that right now, though, this Holy Land experience testimony you and I have got to take in, I love these.
S5: Hi, my name is Jack and this is my Holy Land experience. I've studied and taught the scriptures for over 40 years, since my recent first and only visit to the Holy Land on a moody tour. I now picture the settings of familiar stories with much more clarity. The bricks and the buildings are vivid. The river, the desert, the rocks and the forests are more real. All this brings life to my own visualization of Bible stories, and this translates to more real, more human stories that set a context closer to my life, closer to the way we all live than the images I had formed from flannel graphs and cartoon drawings. The real stories are human struggles taking place in a very real context that I can now better connect with and can help others better connect with.
S1: All right, the Breath of God is what we're considering in your devotional today, Charlie. Let you get at it.
S2: Ah. Thanks, John. This is the final week of my five week series on famous 316 of the Bible, and today finds us in a dark, damp, foul smelling prison cell in Rome. It's definitely not a scenic site. The iron bars, heavy chains and ever present Roman guards let us know that this is home to those most disfavored by Emperor Nero. Most of the prisoners are here awaiting the final disposition of their cases. And for the vast majority, that means official condemnation, followed by swift execution. For those fortunate enough to be Roman citizens, this means beheading. For those not so fortunate, it usually means crucifixion. The dampness inside the prison magnifies the chill from outside. The changing weather is a reminder that winter is on the way. Rome might house and feed its prisoners, but anything else, like a warm cloak, needs to be provided by family or friends. Otherwise the prisoner can spend the remaining time until his execution, simply trying to stay warm. We stand here trying to take in this scene of suffering and we find ourselves shuddering. Is it the cold, or is it the sheer horror of the place that sent that chill up our spine? As our eyes grow more accustomed to the darkness, we spot an unusual scene in the far corner. There in a cell, is a bedraggled prisoner speaking with another man. The second man is seated at a table holding a quill. Before him are blank pages of papyrus. As the prisoner speaks, the man dips the quill into an inkwell and then begins scratching out the words on paper. Curiosity draws us closer to hear what's being said. As we approach, we suddenly realize the disheveled prisoner who's speaking is none other than the Apostle Paul. We can't be sure, but the one serving as copyist seems to be Luke, the physician. In hushed tones. Paul is dictating a letter to be carried to his young disciple Timothy in Ephesus As we listen, our eyes moisten as we realize Paul is sharing his final thoughts, his last words with this one, who has been like a son to him. But about now I can hear you saying, wait a minute. I thought this series of messages was on the famous 316 of the Bible. Words of comfort and hope and inspiration. This sounds like a dark scene of sorrow and sadness, focused on a man unjustly accused and about to die alone. Where's the hope in this passage? Several times in Israel, I was with groups who visited the diamond cutting centers. Officially, we were there to learn about the diamond cutting industry. But in reality, the centers exist to try to sell diamonds to the visitors. I never purchased any, but I was fascinated to watch their sales technique. I noticed that they displayed the diamonds on a dark velvet background, with a strong light shining down from above. The light refracted from the many facets of the diamonds, and seemed to sparkle more intensely when set against the dark velvet. Well, gazing at the Apostle Paul dictating this final letter, that scene from the Diamond Factory is what flashes in my mind. Today's 316 blazes like a diamond glittering under a bright light, and it shines more intensely because of the dark background in which it's displayed. Paul doesn't sugarcoat his situation when the going got tough for Paul. Most of his friends abandoned him. He said that apart from a few notable exceptions, everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me. Later, he adds, Demas has deserted me. Only Luke is with me. At his first defense before the tribunal of Nero, no one came to my support. But everyone deserted me. These aren't the whinings of a bitter man, simply statements of fact. Paul knew it was only a matter of time, likely very little time before he would be sentenced to death and executed. The time has come for my departure, he says. But as bad as Paul's situation was, Paul wanted Timothy to know the world would someday grow even darker. He didn't know when, but he wanted Timothy to be ready. And Paul doesn't sugarcoat what the future holds. He introduces a laundry list of moral and spiritual decline with a stark note in chapter three, verse one. But mark this there will be terrible times in the last days and is charged to. Timothy is equally direct, but you keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. No matter what happens all around you, Timothy, you have a job to do. So stay faithful and remain diligent. Okay, Charlie, but you still haven't explained why this particular 316 is so special. And that's what I'll do right now. I find it fascinating that in the very letter where Paul describes the darkness about to descend on the world in the last days. He also provides three of the most dramatic descriptions of the centrality and power of God's Word. And the middle one of the three is two Timothy 316 and 17. All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. No matter where the world might go, Paul tells Timothy he needs to go back to the Bible. Paul first focuses on its origin. It's God breathed. The word translated, inspired in some English versions is the honestus, which literally means God breathed. God is the source of the Bible. And then Paul reminds Timothy of its essential usefulness. It's useful for teaching, that is, it explains what life is all about, how life works, and how it relates to God's ultimate plans. It provides the creed sharing the truth we need to know. But God's Word isn't just for our mind. It's also designed to impact how we live. Rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness to prepare us for every good work. Timothy. Focus on the Bible. It is sourced in God and it will help you know what to believe and how to act. How important is the Word of God? It's essential. In fact, Paul places this amazing 316 in a dramatic setting flanked by two other crucial truths about the Bible. In chapter two, verse 15, Paul exhorts Timothy to do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. If you want to serve God well, then handle his word of truth faithfully and accurately. And on the other side of his 316 mountaintop, Paul adds his third exhortation on the Word of God at the beginning of chapter four, and he begins by invoking the presence of Jesus and God the Father as witnesses to what he's about to say in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead. And in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge. Preach the word. Be prepared in season and out of season. Correct. Rebuke and encourage with great patience and careful instruction. The word translated preach is the verb kerusso, which has the idea of proclaiming or heralding. Timothy is to be proclaiming God's Word in any situation, correcting error, rebuking sinful action, and encouraging all to remain faithful. Well, as we get ready to leave this prison and return home, what does this final 316 have to do with our lives today? We live in a world that seems to be moving ever more rapidly toward the last days described by Paul in two Timothy three. But rather than becoming depressed or discouraged or defeated, Paul's message to Timothy and to us is to become dedicated to studying, obeying, and proclaiming God's life, giving word to a world that so desperately needs to hear what God has said. Remember, the Bible itself is God breathed, and the darker the world becomes, the brighter his light can shine through us as we take in His Word and then share it with others.
S1: Thank you Charlie. Always practical. That scene kind of grips me there, Paul, in that prison. Thank you. You can hear it all again. By the way, if you check out our podcast, it's available at our website. The land and the book. Dot org. All kinds of other great resources there as well. The land and the book.org. That'll do it for today's broadcast. Thanks for hanging out. Our host is Doctor Charlie Dyer. Our producer, Dan Anderson. I'm John Geiger, thanking you for being a part of the land. And the book, a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.