S1: Hi friend, thank you so much for downloading this podcast and I truly hope you hear something that edifies encourage, equips, enlightens, and then gets you out there in the marketplace of ideas. But before you go, I want to tell you about this month's truth tool. It's called Have You Ever Wondered? And I absolutely love this topic because if you're like me, going out into the night sky and looking up and seeing a million stars, don't you just stop and think about God? And are you not in a moment of awe and wonder or looking out over the vast expanse of an ocean and you start thinking, what is man, that thou art mindful of him? And it makes you wonder about the magnificence of God? I think that sense of wonder was put there on purpose, and this wonderful book includes a composite of multiple authors who have written from their perspective as a scientist, or a historian, or a mathematician or an artist, on why they all have this sense of awe through the work that they do. In other words, the heavens declare the glory. And as it tells us in Romans, we are really without excuse because his handiwork is everywhere. And this book invites you to walk through the chapters written by people who all have a sense of awe and wonder when it comes to God through their various disciplines in life. It's an amazing book and it's yours. For a gift of any amount, just call 877 Janet 58. That's 877 Janet 58. Ask for a copy of Have You Ever Wondered? And we'll send it right off to you as my way of saying thank you, because we are listener supported radio. Or you can go online to in the market with Janet Parshall. When you're also on the website, consider becoming a partial partner. Those are people who give every single month at a level of their own choosing. You always get the truth tool, but in addition to that, you get a weekly newsletter that includes my writing and an audio piece just for my partial partners. So 877 Janet 58 or the website in the market with Janet parshall.org consider becoming a partial partner or asking for this month's truth tool. Have you ever wondered? And now please enjoy the broadcast.
S2: Here are some of the news headlines we're watching.
S3: The conference was over. The over, the president won a pledge.
S4: Americans worshiping government over God.
S5: Extremely rare safety move by a major 17 years.
S4: The Palestinians and Israelis negotiated every time.
S1: Hi, friends. Welcome to In the Market with Janet Parshall. A very happy Thursday to you. Thank you so much for spending the hour with us. Well, I do hope that as you spend time in the word and spend time at his feet, because we've been given permission to go just right there with the absolute authority from the King himself to enter into the throne of grace. I don't know about you, but that takes my breath away. I know I've met a lot of important people in my life. And let me tell you, the rules of deportment are generally you don't talk unless spoken to, you don't ask questions, you don't touch. The list goes on and on and on. I have yet to have any world leader ever say, you can come boldly into my office anytime you want to. And yet the king, the king of all creation, says just that. I hope you take him up on his invitation and spend time in his presence all day long. Not just when you put your head down at the pillow at night, but when you start your day an all day long. After all, prayer is nothing more and nothing less than the love language between two people who love each other. And I hope you're in constant communication with him. One of the things I talked to him about all the time was, what's going on in Israel? Now, remember, this has been this is Intel. There's no entity on planet Earth that has Intel. You haven't heard Bill gates say this earlier this week. There's no country on planet Earth that has the Intel capabilities than Israel. Better than the United States, bar none. And they have been watching and watching and watching. When you got a neighbor down the road, a piece who's saying, I'm going to blow you up, you're the little Satan. We've got nuclear capabilities. We're going to annihilate the Zionist regime. You can decide that they're calling Wolf, or you can decide that they're deadly serious. And then you plant some Mossad, as they did inside Iran. How's that for chutzpah? Inside Iran. And they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that their nuclear capabilities were literally inches away. They said, nope, got to strike now. But this is not parallel warfare by any stretch of the imagination. With pinpoint precision goes after nuclear sites where the heavy water is, etc. where the military jets are. Right now. Israel has domination in the air power part of this confrontation, but they also do it with pinpoint specificity. That's not what Iran does. That's not what Iran does. When you're fomented by hate and blindness, spiritual blindness, you don't play the same way. Here's Chris Mitchell from CBN news. Have a listen.
S4: With.
S6: The Soroka Hospital in Beersheba took a direct hit. One of the doctors there stated just yesterday we evacuated the old surgical building that took a direct hit. Today. It's a great miracle. As Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz put it, these are the most severe kinds of war crimes, and Khamenei will be held accountable for his crimes. Katz described Israel's new goal to destabilize the Ayatollah regime. Meanwhile, in Washington, President Trump has approved the Iran attack plans but is holding off on giving the orders, according to the Wall Street Journal. Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump says he's not looking for a fight with Iran.
S7: But if it's a choice between fighting and them having a nuclear weapon, you have to you have to do what you have to do. We're not looking for a ceasefire. We're looking for a total, complete victory. Again, you know what the victory is no nuclear weapon.
S6: In an address to the nation Wednesday night, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu thanked the president for standing by Israel and told Israelis the goals of the war.
S8: We've embarked on this operation to eliminate two existing threats to the State of Israel, the nuclear threat and the ballistic missile threat. We're moving step by step towards eliminating these threats. We control the skies over Tehran. We're striking the ayatollahs regime with tremendous force. We're striking the nuclear weapons, the missiles, the headquarters, the symbols of the regime.
S6: Despite the attacks, Ayatollah Khamenei remains defiant.
S8: Iran.
S9: The Iranian nation, will stand firmly against the war imposed on it, as it has done so far. It will also stand firmly against imposed peace. The Iranian nation will not surrender to anyone aiming to impose anything on it.
S6: Yet the Israel Defense Forces are now expanding their target list.
S9: During the strikes, we struck more than 20 targets around Tehran. These targets belong to the regime's military industries and security apparatus.
S6: That includes the regime's centers of power, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz told the Iranian people it's time to rise up and overthrow Khamenei's regime, he said. Symbols of power are being bombed and collapsing from the broadcasting authority and soon other targets as masses of residents flee. This is how dictatorships fall. Iranian American journalist Lisa Vitari tells CBN's Raj Nair the people of Iran have long endured a brutal dictatorship.
S10: This is not just since October 7th. This is not just since Friday. This is something that has been building up in the Iranian people for 46 years. They are sick and tired of it. You know, to see someone who is hanged because of a Facebook post or because they are a journalist or an athlete or a dancer, this is the life and the reality that they have been living.
S6: Earlier this week, Netanyahu told Israeli Channel 14 history is being made.
S8: That we are at a historic turning point and everyone is slowly turning to realize it after victory over Iran. A new Middle East will emerge.
S6: Chris Mitchell CBN news, Jerusalem.
S1: I want to pick up on that last point after victory over Iran. A new Middle East will emerge now. I spent some time yesterday with a retired IDF officer who gave me a briefing on what is happening, and I thought his perspective on this was crucial enough for me to want to share it with you. And I think it's important because this is how we counter being good Bereans. Some of the things you're hearing in the press that are fomented by spiritual hatred, spiritual blindness, and an animus toward the Jewish people. So it's important that we get the facts. First of all, Israel is right now, whether it's talked about on the alphabet soup networks or not, Israel is shaping the future of the Middle East. It is why we've got protection in the air in Syria and in Lebanon and in Saudi Arabia. All of those countries think that Iran is a problematic nation. You get rid of them, you take care of them. And if Iran's nuclear capabilities were eliminated, that would completely change the dynamic. One of the princes in Saudi Arabia said, look, if they say that they have nuclear capability, we're going to have to take them at their word and then we're going to get nuclear capability. So a couple of other things right now, there are still 5000 hostages. 20 are presumed to be alive. Israel at this point does have air superiority. Iran needs launchers to be able to fire off their missiles, and their launchers are being destroyed as we speak. So that's causing a problem. By the way, more than a third of Iran's missiles are already gone. There's a shortage of cash as a result of what's been going on, and that's helping to create civil unrest, which is a blessing, because if the people want to overthrow the Ayatollah and you just heard that in the story, this might be the moment to be able to do just that. By the way, if you hear a Western journalist say Israel is targeting journalists, that building, by the way, where that person in the hijab was there when the bomb was dropped. That is the propaganda center for Iran. It is not about journalism. They call it the execution network because they broadcast executions back after this. So many in our culture today are spiritually curious but hesitant about religion. That's why I've chosen. Have you ever wondered is this month's truth tool explore how everyday experiences might be the signpost pointing to deeper biblical truths. As for your copy of have you ever wondered when you give a gift of any amount to in the market, call eight 7758, that's eight 7758 or go to in the market with Janet Parshall.
S11: All people fundamentally within their DNA, within their very makeup, have a belief in the supernatural that which is beyond nature, that which is beyond merely the collision of atoms, as it were, in our everyday lives.
S12: I don't think we should fear looking at phenomena, I think we should look at them on their own terms, analyze them very carefully and very critically, and see what's there.
S13: And explicitly. The worry of scientific naturalists is that this is going to thrust us back into the dark ages.
S14: A lot of skeptics will say, well, miracles are impossible. Why? Because they violate the laws of nature. You can't violate the laws of nature.
S12: People would pray for me, and sometimes it felt like this power that just zapped me.
S11: When I woke up. She says, can you do anything that you didn't do before? I looked at my hand that was clutched. I said, hand move!
S15: Oh my goodness.
S16: Another doctor came in and he said, what is going on in here? He's dead. It's over. I said, shock him one more time.
S17: Well, maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. Let's look at the evidence.
S1: And that's exactly what Billy Hallowell does in his brand new spectacular documentary called Investigating the Supernatural, and he takes a look at miracles. When you watch this, you may be starting from the position of a skeptic, but I guarantee you by the time this is over, you're going to have to ask yourself a lot of questions about is Aslan still on the move today? By the way, this documentary is peppered with some of our best friends. Lee Strobel is in there. You just heard Doctor Sam Storms talking as well. In fact, I want you to hear one more little bit of the documentary. Take a listen.
S17: According to a recent poll, 80% of people in the U.S. believe in a supernatural dimension to reality. But sometimes it feels like it's 80% who don't believe in it. And I think part of that is in terms of the dominant culture, which comes partly out of academia.
S14: Colleges and universities have been co-opted by a kind of scientific materialism or naturalism, which teaches that all that there is is what we can touch and what we can feel and what we can see and experience. Science is the determiner of what is true and what is false.
S17: But the truth.
S11: Is, there is a conflict between what the world proposes they believe and what they actually believe. When you really ask deep questions or you look at the way that people behave, it's very clear that within all people there is a sense that there is something more.
S14: I did a scientific survey of American adults and I asked the question, have you ever had at least one incident in your life that you can only explain as a miracle of God? And 38% of American adults said yes. So almost four out of ten. Now you extrapolate that number. That would mean there is almost 100 million miracles just in America. Now, let's say 99% of them are wrong. Let's just throw out 99% and say no. It was just a huge coincidence. So let's throw those out. That still leaves a million miracles having taken place just in the context of our continent.
S17: When you've got that many people claiming those things, you can't start with the premise that uniform human experience excludes miracles.
S1: Now, do I have your attention? You are so going to want to watch this. It's called investigating the supernatural miracles. I've got a link on my information page so that you can click on through and discover how you can watch it. But in the meantime, I'm going to spend some time with Billy. Billy Hallowell is a journalist, a commentator, a digital TV host. He has covered thousands of huge stories dealing with faith and culture. He has written tens of thousands of stories on faith, culture and politics. And by the way, he's the author of four books, playing with Fire a modern investigation into demons, Exorcism, and Ghosts The Armageddon Code one Journalist's Quest for End Times answers Fault Line how a seismic shift in culture is threatening free speech and shaping the next generation, and left standing the miraculous story of how Mason Wells faith survived the Boston, Paris and Brussels terrorist attack. The list goes on and on and on right now. He is currently working with CBN News and Faithwire and Billy boy. God's anointed you you know how to tell a good story and chase one down. But what I love about this in particular is you start out where I think an overwhelming majority of people will start when they watch this documentary, which is, um, not so much. Maybe I read it in scripture. I'm not so sure it's happening today. So I'm going to quest this. You know, one of the old adages we have in journalism is you have to have independent verification, right? And so you decided to pursue this, but you started out as a skeptic. Tell me about why you wanted to do this documentary.
S18: You know, I love that you're starting there because I think a lot of us, we'll even say that we believe in our minds, right? We'll say, okay, I believe, I believe, I read it in Scripture, I know it happened, but I'm not really quite sure if it happens today. Or you know what? Maybe I don't even care if it happens today because I don't want to commit to it, so I'm not going to think about it. And I think that's where I sort of was. I would have said I believed, but I hadn't really experienced anything in my heart that would have led me to that place. And so when it came to different projects that were coming up with with CBN Christian Broadcasting Network, we I pitched some ideas and we were just talking. And really I know we say this a lot in the faith space, but it really was a God thing. I mean he just opened doors within a couple of weeks. I mean, this doesn't normally happen. Within a couple of weeks, we were greenlit to do a TV series, which is not what we ended up doing. We were going to do a three part TV series on Angels and Demons, Heaven and Hell and miracles, and we started out going into the field and starting with miracles, and as soon as we got into it, it was immediately apparent that we could not tell a true miracle story in 30 minutes that we needed a full film. And so this project morphed very quickly. Again, total God thing into a documentary film series.
S1: Wow. And I want to talk about some of the miracles in there. I'm not going to give it all away. I want you to watch it. But I'm telling you. By the way, can I just tell you the craftsmanship, the way that I'm not surprised? This is CBN everything is five star but the the production values on this. The research the cinematography the way the arc of the story is told it is absolutely riveting. Again it's called investigating the supernatural miracles. And I have a link on my page Billy when we come back, the first question I want to ask you is I want to talk about you. How did this change you as a human being? Because you may have been the investigator, but you were not. You were not a totally neutral position. You walked in, as you just said, kind of questioning like the overwhelming majority of us do. But I want to know if this documentary changed you personally, and then we're going to tease a little bit a couple of the miracle stories that are in this, because I'm going to tell you what he's God, we're not. His thoughts are far above us. His ways are not our ways. I'm never going to put God in a box. And do I believe he's a miracle working God? Oh yes indeed. Deed much more after this.
S14: The question of why God does miracles in some cases and doesn't do them in others is not just an intellectual challenge. It is a personal issue to people who suffer. And I think there are several ways to look at it.
S17: If God healed everybody now who asked him? People would become Christians just to get the benefit. That's not what following Jesus is about.
S14: You know, God is not a vending machine that we put in a certain prescribed prayer and he automatically heals. He is sovereign. He understands things that we don't understand. He sees things that we don't see.
S19: Maybe God wants to use that particular affliction, disease, or your suffering to accomplish something in you that in his infinite wisdom he knows can only be achieved as you respond to your pain and your suffering by ever increasing dependence upon him.
S20: Here's a different take on this because God intervenes at times we think, well, then he can always intervene whenever he wants. But the reason we can't ever make sense out of what he does or when he doesn't, is because there's a whole lot else going on in this cosmos that we don't know about, the myriads of myriads of angelic beings that are in that heavenly realm. They all make decisions and, well, I don't know much of what goes on up there. I know that sometimes those decisions affect what goes on down, what goes on down here. And so if God doesn't intervene, it seems like it would have been good to I have to assume that there's there's something's blocking that.
S19: You know, in the final analysis, I go to Romans 828. There we are told that God causes all things to work together for my good. If I'm called according to his purpose and if I love him.
S14: Some people will say, well, my suffering is too much. God can't possibly in this world or the next cause, good to emerge from my suffering. To which I say, God has taken the worst possible thing that has ever happened in the universe, which is the death of the Son of God on a cross. And out of that he has created the best thing that's ever happened in the universe, which is the opening of heaven to all who follow him. So if God can take the worst thing in the universe and turn it into the best thing in the universe, he can even redeem our suffering in this world or the next and draw good from it.
S1: Amen. You know, I have to tell you, what I find so important about this documentary is not just the aspect that it's investigating the supernatural as it manifests itself in miracles. It forces every one of us to have to deal with the question of suffering. And that's something we've dealt with since we walked out of the garden. And this really also speaks to how we see God, how we view the character of God, the wisdom of both Lee and Sam in that clip that you just heard all things working together for good. We think it means it all has to turn out good as we define it. No, no, no, no, that's not what that verse means. It means that in God's good and perfect will, he will make sure that what needs to be done will be done. As we are being conformed to, transformed to the image of Christ. Billy Hallowell is the brains behind this new documentary investigating the supernatural miracles. He is a superb creator of content. He is a journalist, a commentator and a digital TV host. So my question for you personally, it's real easy to say it's subjective. I'm going to keep it all in arm's reach. You were deeply immersed in all of this. Did it change you, Billy, and your beliefs?
S18: Oh, absolutely. And I can't stop talking about it. I actually haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Um, honestly, you know, this has been. It's been such an amazing experience. I thought going into it, we're going to create this documentary. It's going to hopefully inspire people to to see, you know, they're going to be presented with information. They can make a decision on what they believe. But selfishly, I walked away from it. Deeply changed, really. It kind of obliterated everything I thought I knew, you know, all of these things. I thought I knew about miracles and, you know, really, it forced me, just like you were just saying, to ask all the same questions. And I think the biggest question, and this is what I'm still processing, am I experiencing everything that God has for us? Am I open to it? Have I been have I been too quick to maybe dismiss certain elements of the supernatural? You know, we throw that word around. Supernatural. I'm reading the Bible. I read the Bible every year. The last couple of years. I read through the whole entire thing. And I'm focusing right now just on the New Testament this year and every page the supernatural now is popping off the page at me. And it's so funny because in the past I would have read it and I would have just kind of kept going. And now I'm pausing and I'm pondering and I'm wondering, you know, what? What is still happening today and what is not. And I think that's a big question that the church is grappling with right now. And a lot of people have decided, well, it's all dead. It's not happening. And I think the evidence really is on the other side of that, that that things are happening, that people are being healed. But to your point, there's still pain. Even Lazarus died again, right? So, you know, the miracles run out at some point. But but that doesn't mean they're not happening.
S1: Amen. And Brother Paul asked for that thorn to be removed, and it was not. So I think this really is so important, Billy. Not just because we're all, hey, look, we love touched by an angel who doesn't love miracle stories. But the reality is this goes much deeper because it really does go to the core question of suffering. And who is God and why? Why does he allow fill in the blank? And why didn't he do fill in the blank? And I think this is going to cause some spiritual growth as a result of this. The other thing too, is the people that you got with credentials, you have neuroscientists, you have people who got their education at Harvard. You have people the husband and wife team in Indiana are absolutely amazing, doing objective empirical studies on this where they've got the Sanhedrin of the medicine world looking at this going, something's going on. Am I right about that?
S18: You're 100% right. And I think that was so important to us going into this, because, look, faith is about faith. You know, it's not all. Even if you can prove and I think you can you can get 98% of the way there proving that a miracle happened. Right? You get to a place where you say there's no other explanation. And I think the miracles we show in the film, I have not had one atheist, agnostic, or skeptical Christian who doesn't believe in miracles come to me and say, here's another explanation. They don't have them.
S1: But but it requires faith.
S18: It requires.
S1: 100%. Yep. And I love Lee Strobel's example about prove me your name. And if you don't know what that means, get the DVD. All right. Which takes me to how exactly you can watch this. So I have a link on my website on the information page, right under the definition of the two hours we do every day, you're going to see a red box. It says Program details and audio. Click then on takes you to the info page. I have a hot link. Turn it on. You can either order the DVD or you can watch it streaming. But either way, do it. And can I tell you something else? Don't do it by yourself. Invite a skeptic, someone who doesn't yet know Jesus as their personal savior, because this is going to start a conversation that could have eternal consequences. Billy. Let's talk again soon. Absolutely. Outstanding documentary back after this, friends. Oh, even if you've never been on the back of a horse, does that not make your heart race just a little bit faster? And could you not feel the snorting from his nostrils on the back of your neck? And can you not smell the leather of the saddle? Boy, I tell you what, I love horse stories. And that's why I love the writings of Rebecca. And she's got a new book out called Great Horse Stories Wisdom and Humor from our Majestic Friends. And I love the fact that Rebecca, who spent 15 years doing ranch work. And by the way, you know anything about running a ranch? Wow. You don't punch a clock. It's every single day. You got to turn them out. You got to bring them in. You muck the stalls, you feed them, you water them, you nurse them, you baby them, you deliver them. And in addition to all of that, she was guiding some pack trips. She also worked as a wilderness ranger. What an awesome job. And she's the author of several Christian books about horses and the West. And she's won all kinds of writing competitions, so it wouldn't it would be a full life just to be on the back of a horse and to do all the ranch work. But then God makes you a writer. So then she blends these two together, and she teaches about our relationship with the Lord by taking a look at horses. Just amazing stuff. And I'm going to let you jump in at any time. Friends at 1877548367518775483675. Rebecca, I think I've asked you this before. And by the way, I treasure every single time I get to spend time with you. How old were you when you first fell in love with horses?
S21: Oh, I think it happened in my DNA from God. It had to have. I think my first word was probably horse, to my mother's dismay. But I've always had a fascination with horses, haven't you? Janet, I know you're a horse lover.
S1: Mhm. Mhm. And it just, you know, it's amazing. In fact, I was just spending time with a mare this morning, an eight year old mare who had had some very rough handling, and it was so obvious that she looked at human beings and thought, are you someone who can be trusted, or do I have to fear all of you? And as I just walked with her for a while and loved on her neck, you could see her eyes soften and her pace slow down, and then she'd start to rub the back of my neck and I thought, wow, what a picture of learning to trust God and feeling safe in his arms. I mean, that's what you write about. You see it. And I even think you have to have a background in horses. You just see that idea. And isn't it cool that God writes so much about horses in Scripture, talks about the bit and the bridle, and that says a lot about us, doesn't it?
S21: Yes it does. But the best part is we get to come back on horses.
S1: Yes, yes. And that Jesus is a writer. That Jesus is a writer. Don't you love that?
S21: Yes.
S1: I'm so glad. So I think that it was important to remember that he came in on a donkey. But he's coming back on a horse, which tells me something about the place that horses have in the heart of Jesus. By the way, I want you to tell me about Wind Dancer, and I'd love for you to explain to our friends what's the difference between a donkey and a mule? Because I bet some folks listening don't know the difference.
S21: Oh my gosh, there is a huge difference because they're actually different species with different number of chromosomes. And I don't know the exact numbers, but a mule is a horse mom and a donkey, dad. And it's a hybrid animal that's made from those two species. Because a mule is usually sterile and can't be bred. Wind dancer is a mule that I was blessed enough to own a mare, and through a tumultuous relationship, a breeder lied to me, a trainer lied to me, and I brought a bought a horse who had been vet checked and it turned out she had had a broken hind leg. And um, so that actually those stories are coming up in, um, another book. However, God redeemed that situation by giving me the idea to breed this mare and get a mule. And so Wind Dancer is a mule out of that Tennessee walk and mare out of a gaited jack, and I'm going to hopefully be riding her this year. She is a ham. She loves people because I talked to her in the womb every day from the day she was conceived.
S1: Wow. And you say that she recognizes your voice right away.
S21: She does.
S1: She knows.
S21: She knows who I am. Just like we. Just like we recognize God's voice in our spirit. It's a it's an amazing. It's a relationship. It's a communication between the two of us. Just like our relationship with God is a communication between the two of us, between God and I. I'm not doing all the talking. God's not doing all the talking. But we work together.
S1: Wow. Wow. Well, speaking of God and talking, that leads me to prayer. And I want you to tell our friends about Skysong, because I can just picture you doing what you say you love to do on the back of Skysong, which is talking to the Lord. Some people are going talking to the Lord. I'm hanging on for dear life. How can you possibly be praying at the same time? But that's your favorite place to pray, isn't it?
S21: It is, it is. It is so amazing. And a matter of fact, that's how he got his name I was. Names of horses are very, very important to me. And I was saying, God, what am I going to name this horse running through all these different names? And I thought, I pray when I ride, that's the primary thing that I do is that's my time, my personal time, intimate time with God. So I'm going to name him Skysong because that means because prayer is a song in the sky to God.
S1: Yeah. Wow. How wonderful, how wonderful. Talk to me about Nana. A lot of you say that, and a lot of people are thinking about their precious grandmother. But there's a different Nana that you write about in your latest book called Great Horse Stories. And let me say the subtitle Wisdom and Humor from Our Majestic Friends. And that certainly is an apt description of a horse. But you talk about Nana. What was she like?
S21: Well, Nana was a Norwegian fjord horse, and if anybody has had a Norwegian fjord horse, they know that God put extra personality in their little bodies. They're not necessarily big horse. They're usually cream. But, um, their manes have got their black and white, so they're very stunning. And there was some people over in eastern Montana. Friends of mine and the daughter wanted a horse, and she'd saved all her money. And they or was saving it on a on a plan. And they picked out this horse and it ended up to be a young horse. The daughter had had a problem with her temper, and the mother was very, very concerned that the daughter would totally erupt. So they and perhaps even ruin the horse. They're out on a trail ride. Nothing's going right. The little girl gets upset because the the situation is looking like it could blow up. She was not trusting Nana, which was a fairly new horse to her, and she started having a fit. Well, Nana was going slowly because she was carrying precious cargo on her back on the trail and she was not about to get her feathers flustered by the other horses acting up, and the daughter wanted to go as fast as the other horses, and Nana decided she wasn't going to participate, and the little girl was kicking her and screaming at mom, saying, mom, Nana's not doing what I want. And mom is saying, it's okay, calm down. The little girl's temper skyrockets. Nana turns off the trail, ignoring the little girl, and walks out into the middle of the field and lets the girl have her temper tantrum and little girl screaming at the top of her lungs.
S22: Just screaming, mom, she won't do anything I want.
S21: And Nana's just standing there like a wonderful grandmother, totally patient, just letting the little girl. And finally, finally Katie settles down and she she just goes, oh. And instantly Nana scuttles over to the other horses and takes her. And it was like Nana was that girl's nanny. It was amazing.
S1: Wow. Was Nana her name before this incident? Because there's a paradox there that she was protective like that and had the name Nana, or was it named after the fact.
S21: Nana was named beforehand. Wow. And I don't I don't know if she came from the breeder with that name, but oh my gosh, what an amazing horse! And she was so young at that time. Here is here's this young horse and a young girl. And the horse had the wisdom of an ancient horse.
S1: Mhm. Mhm. And Katie ended up getting a lot of ribbons on the back of Nana did she not.
S21: She did. And she's showing again this year. She's gotten tons of ribbons. But the most wonderful thing is, is that Nana was so different for eastern Montana. You think eastern Montana you've got quarter horses?
S1: Yes.
S21: You're doing roping. You're doing all this different stuff. Well, Katie, um, Katie actually wrote English in a show in eastern Montana and was the only contestant. It was obviously.
S22: Stuck out like a sore thumb. And this little chubby Norwegian.
S21: Fjord horse with a black and white mane and riding an English saddle, wearing a helmet. And everybody else had cowboy hats on western saddles. And Katie is just devastated because she's always been a bigger boned gal, always been a maybe, um, a little, um, she would express herself very poignantly, oftentimes wonderful gal, heart of gold, but she always felt like she was on the outside. So now she's really on the outside. She has a misfit horse. She stands out like a sore thumb. But you know what? That horse, um, did so well. And as the day progressed in that show, Katie discovered that it was wonderful to be different because all the other kids in eastern Montana were going, tell me about your horse. I've never seen a horse like that before. So instead of Katie being, um, put on the outside as a misfit, she discovered that being different is wonderful because people like to find out about different things. And she's gone on to excel. She's just an amazing young lady. Wow. But all because of a horse?
S1: Yes. And, Rebecca, what I love in this book is that you give us thoughts to ponder at the end of each one of these precious little stories. And each one of them is a jewel. And in the story of Katie and Nana, you remind us that God made us unique and that he might possibly have made us to stand out like a Norwegian fjord. So what you're saying is celebrate your uniqueness, rather than being so concerned about blending in completely in the crowd. Here's Katie now who has this very different perspective in Montana. She's not doing barrel racing. She's doing English instead. And yet that's exactly how she was designed to be made. Wow. There's a great lesson there about celebrating the uniqueness of who we are in God. I want to ask you a question, and I'm coming up to a break and the music is going to start to roll in a second, and I'll give you a chance to think about it. But in all your years of working with horses and doing ranch work, and particularly because we draw so many parallels through your writings about how God works with us and the messages that he sends us. Have you ever found a horse where you said utterly, totally, completely unredeemable on his way to the glue factory? There's nothing here. Just throw him on the ash heap of history because he's no good for anybody. Did you ever run into a horse like that? I'll leave that question hanging and we'll get an answer from Rebecca on Dev right after this. Rebecca again has written several Christian books. Her newest is called Great Horse Stories. Wisdom and humor from Our Majestic Friends. And before the break, Rebecca, I asked you because of all your years. And it's tough stuff. It's what? It's what my husband calls the Charlotte's Web experience. You take it all or you can't take any of it because it's all in there. Especially when an animal gets sick and you don't think the animal is going to make it. But as particularly in the horse world and you've seen this, I'm sure, a thousand times over, where someone goes, ah, that's just a bad horse. Just put him down. Just get rid of him. Untrainable so damaged. So, um, non-usable, you might as well just euthanize the horse in your years. Have you ever seen that? And do you think there is such a horse?
S21: Boy? You know, that's a really tough question. Um, if it were an injury, I would have to go with the, see that report as to whether the horse would be in pain or not. That would be my deciding factor. If a horse was going to be in severe pain, then I would say I would choose to have to euthanize the horse. But other than that, Janet, I have seen so many miracles, miracle after miracle after miracle of horses who have recovered from injuries that never should have, horses that lived through things that never should have, and horses that turned around personality wise, that really never should have from what they had been through. So it's it's hard to say. Are you willing to give up on a horse for me? No I can't. But the interesting thing is, is there's actually a story in this book. It's called The Castaway, and it's about a woman who found a horse that had been abandoned at a ranch where she was boarding her horse. And the rest, it had come in on a cattle truck because the person who was selling the cattle didn't want the horse, and he was just a rack of bones, hadn't been taken care of. And he sent him he loaded him on the cattle truck to get rid of them. And this gal discovered him in a. It was in California, but it was a winter weather. It was sleeting. The horse was hypothermic. She saw it at night and took it in and rescued this horse. It became her favorite saddle horse. And as I was writing that story, God reminded me of a time. And I still fight with this. There are there are times when I see people, and I think you people have made the decision to be who you are, and you're pretty disgusting. And sometimes it's hard for me to love those people. It's easier for me. And God showed me through different times that it's easier for me to love a hurting animal than a hurting person. And God said, but I created people in my image. And that puts them on a whole different plane than a hurting animal. Why don't I have the same compassion for people that I do for animals? When people are created in the image of God and he really, he really shook me to the core. Janet on that. When at one time I had an opportunity, God asked me to feed a man who had dreadlocks in his hair. He was hunched over. He was old. He was rotten teeth. He was disgusting. And I drove past him on the road and he was standing next to a fast food joint and God said, go feed him. And I said, ah, I don't have any cash. Let me go to the bank. If he's still there when I get back, I'll feed him. So I did. I went and got cash, came back and the guy wasn't there, and I kind of breathed a sigh of relief and God said, no, go into the parking lot. And the guy was standing back by the dumpsters, getting more treasures for his black bag that he was carrying around. And I pulled over next to him and, and I said, you know, I'd like to buy you something to eat. And he he had those his eyes were like they were shifty eyes and he was squinty and he stunk. The man hadn't changed his clothes in years or taken a bath. I mean, excuse me. It was totally disgusting. And he said yes. My vision of what God asked me to do was to go in there and buy the guy a meal and leave. I didn't want to sit with him, so I went in. I asked the guy what he wanted. He said one taco, so I bought him the whole meal like a box because it looked like he needed more than one taco and he wouldn't ask for it. And then God told me to go sit with a man, and I went, really? Now see if it would have been a horse, I would have been cooking them, cooking the mash on the stove and adding molasses. And but because it was a human being now think how warped my thought pattern is in this. This is the image of God. This man wearing dreadlocks in filthy clothes is created in the image of God, and I'm treating him like he's a piece of trash. There's something wrong with that. So, God, God proceeded to work on my heart. So I sat down with a man and watched him eat. And he's just shoving it in his mouth. Of course, no manners and wiping his hands. And he's got this beard. And he had been chewing and he had this chew stuck in his beard. It was disgusting. And then he he takes a couple bites and he looks up at me and he says, who do you want me to kill?
S1: Whoa.
S21: And I, I said, no. See, this is the story. This. The stories in this book are so powerful. Janet, that's the castaway story. Um, I looked at him and I said, I don't want you to kill anybody. And he said, then why did you buy me a meal?
S23: Mhm. Wow.
S21: See, because he had been living on the streets so long, life had no importance to him anymore. And he was willing. People had asked him to kill somebody else for buying him a taco.
S23: Mhm.
S21: So I, I, I said I bought you a meal because Jesus told me to buy you a meal and he looked at me really strange then, and I said I just poured out the salvation message. I told him that God loved him, that it didn't matter what he had done, that God would forgive him, give him a brand new life and redeem him. And he opened up to me, and he said that he had been a World War or a Vietnam vet, and because of drugs and alcohol and the stuff he had dealt with, he lost his family and his greatest desire was to be reunited with his son. And I went, okay, well, Jesus can do that. Well, he didn't want to have anything to do with Jesus. And I proceeded to tell him, there's nothing that you can do that's bad enough that you can keep Jesus away. You can. Jesus will love you no matter what. You just have to receive him. Anyway, it was time to go and I stood up and God said, give him a hug and I'm going, okay, see, now God's got my heart to the spot where I can do that. He softened my heart. I had a hardened heart. It wasn't the man. It wasn't about buying the man food. It was about Rebecca's heart. And so I gave the guy a hug. And as I'm giving him a hug, he said, I haven't had a hug in over 40 years.
S1: Wow.
S23: And he had.
S21: Tears flowing down his cheeks. And of course, his face is a filthy mess. And he's got these lines where his tears were. Well, the crazy part was a month. No, a couple weeks later, I. Oh, I'll have to wrap up real quick. A couple of weeks later, I met him at a shelter and he had given his life to the Lord.
S23: Oh.
S1: Wow. Rebecca, what a story. Wow. Now, see, this is why I tell you whether you like horses or not, you're going to learn so much about who you are in his eyes by reading Rebecca's book. And you know what? I want to give it to you. Can I first ten callers. Ten callers. That's how much I want to give this book away. 1-877-548-3675. Rebecca, come back again soon. Let's talk the whole hour. I would love to do that. 1-877-548-3675 great Horse Stories wisdom and humor from our Majestic Friends, the latest book by Rebecca. And I'll see you next time, friends.