S1: Today on bold steps with Mark job. Once in Christ, we represent God to the world and we need to be a pleasing aroma.
S2: Listen, when you preach about purity, you're not hearing pastors deal with things straight up upfront. But I'm I believe God has called us to be a holy people, a people that has power, a people that has strength, a people that changes our culture. And it's not going to happen until we get a handle on this area.
S1: Welcome to Bold Steps with Mark Jobe, senior pastor of New Life Community Church and president of Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. We're online 24 over seven, so if you ever miss a message, you can hear it when you visit us at Bold Steps. Today, as we move forward with our brand new series called Bold Living, Mark will be asking us some tough questions like, are you living out the new you? What are you hanging around and what or who are you exposing to the light? We need to live in such a way that we remember purity is a priority with our message titled, what do you smell like? Here's pastor Mark Jobe.
S2: Your body belongs to God. And I know someone will say, well, I'm not involved. I don't do anything physically, but I like to talk. I like to joke. I like to, you know, joke around with my buddies and we get into some sort of nasty kind of conversation. But it's all in fun, pastor. It's no big deal as long as I'm not touching anything, right? Well, then it says in verse four, nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk, or coarse jesting which are out of place. Well, everybody's doing it. Yeah, but you're not everybody but rather giving thanks. In other words, what the Apostle Paul is telling us is that we live in a sex saturated society. We live in a society in which, by and large, to live chaste and pure and with self-control is something that no longer exists. By and large, we live in a society where marital marital infidelity is rampant. We live in a society where moving in with your girlfriend or boyfriend is normal. We live in a society where Netflix and chill are part of the common vernacular. And what happens around there. We live in a society where people give each other sexual favors and they feel like, hey, is that your boyfriend? No, no, no I'm not. That's not my boyfriend. Just, you know, we just went out. We live in a society, basically, that's come to a point where sexuality is not viewed as moral or immoral. Yet God says, hey, you may live in the world, but you are not of the world. I've called you to a different standard. I've pulled you out. Take off the old. Put on the new. You are called to live a different way. By the power of the Most High God. So you need to ask yourself this question. What am I tolerating in my life? Secondly, you need to ask yourself the question. What are you hanging around? So verse five says, for of this you can be sure no immoral, impure or greedy person. Such a person is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. That's pretty strong. You say, pastor, what are you saying? That if I fell into immorality with my girlfriend that I'm not going to make it to heaven. No, that's not what this passage says. But this passage does say that if someone lives continually in a lifestyle that way, without being convicted, without repenting, without turning around, that you have made something in your life bigger than God? Yes. And if you've made something in your life bigger than God, then you are an idolater. Someone says, well, pastor, I thought an idolater was someone that worshiped an idol or bowed down to a tree. How many of you know that you can be an idolater to things that aren't physical? You can be an idolater to the lust of the flesh. You can have an idol of. Listen, if you are here today and you are a follower of Jesus and you are dating someone that's not a follower of Jesus, and that follower of Jesus expects that he's going to have his treat every weekend, and you're giving him his way every weekend, and you're coming to church and say, yeah, but I want to follow God. I want to love Jesus. And when? When the Word of God comes forward about breaking up with that boyfriend that wants to have sex every weekend, you say, you know, I want to, but I, I just, you know, ah, it's so hard. I don't want to be alone. I don't want to sit there on Friday night and not have anybody to hold me there. He meets a need in my life. He's really nice. He's nicer than a lot of Christians I know. How many times have I heard that? Listen, listen. If God, if you're not willing to give it up because of God and you're convicted about it, then you, my, my dear sister, you have an idol in your life. You have just put something above God because you know what God is asking you to do. to do, but you say, no, I'm hanging on to this. You cannot have both. You have to choose who you will follow and which way you will go. But you cannot have both. And that's exactly what he's saying here. He says, let no one deceive you with empty words. Because of such things, God's wrath comes upon the disobedient. Yea, there's wrath that comes. You don't want to be on that side of the wrath of God. You want to be on this side of the grace of God. And he says, because of such things, the wrath of God come upon the disobedient. Therefore do not be partakers with them. Let no one deceive you with empty words. How many of you know that it's easy to justify what we're doing? Yes. Oh, I've heard it all, by the way. I've been pastoring for a long time. I've heard every excuse under the under the sun, every excuse to Used to justify the fact that we're not living for God. Every excuse to justify the fact that we're giving in to our sexual desires without following God. Everybody's doing it as long as the two of us are consenting, it's okay. As long as no one gets hurt, it's all right. Hey, if God gave me these urges, it's to follow through on them. If it feels good, do it. Doesn't God want me to be happy? And this makes me happy? If we love each other and are planning on getting married, it's okay, right? Hey, I know we're living together, but we have a son. We've been married. We've been together for four years already. It's like we're married. Yeah, I know, I'm stepping on some toes here. Listen, when you preach about purity. Security when you preach in this way. I may be a solo voice because you're not hearing this from a lot of churches, a lot of pulpits around this nation. You're not hearing pastors deal with things straight up, up front. But I'm I believe God has called us to be a holy people, a people that has power, a people that has strength, a people that changes our culture. And it's not going to happen until we get a handle on this area. And so he says, and listen, he says, therefore do not partake with them. You know, I, I remember talking to a young man that was really struggling in this area, and I like this guy. He really wanted to follow Jesus. He had a a heart of telling other people about Christ. And so he came to me one time and he says, I'm really broken. I'm trying to overcome this. I can't seem to have victory in this area of sexuality. I was very promiscuous before I came to Christ, but I keep falling over and over. I don't know what to do. I feel like I don't have power over it. I say, well, tell me how you fall. Tell me what happens. And he said, well, you know, on the weekends he said, I like to dance. So I tell myself, you're going to go to the club, but you're not going to fall. So I get Spiffed up, I go to the club with some friends, music starts going, bodies start shaking. Suddenly my hormones start going up to loosen up. I have one drink, sometimes more than one drink. By the time the evening's over. I have a girl in my bed that I just met and I, I, I really am trying to overcome it. I said, bro, bro, bro. You're like an alcoholic saying, I'm going to go to a wine tasting event and hope to do well If you struggle with fallen, the last place you need to be is in a club where women are dressed scantily and shaking everything and bumping and grinding and think that you're going to do okay. That's the last thing that you need to do. That's the last place you need to be. Hey, stay out of it. Run, run! Flee! Get out of there! Some of it's. Hey! Some of it's no big intellectual spiritual secret. Some of it's just plain old common sense.
S1: You're listening to Bold Steps with pastor Mark Jobe, and today's message is interestingly titled, what do you Smell Like? If you'd like to learn more about this daily program or Moody Bible Institute, visit us at boldsystems.org. You know, Mark, connecting with listeners and sharing the Word of God is what we're all about here, and it's exciting to hear how the program is having an impact. I have a few comments here printed out that we can share. Should we go through a couple of these? Let's do it. All right. This one comes from Sugar Grove, Illinois. I truly love and appreciate your programming. Listening to Mark Crawford Loritts Erwin Lutzer keeps me focused on God and helps keep my path straight. Thank you, gentlemen. That comes from Michael.
S3: That's great.
S2: Michael, thank you for that word of encouragement.
S3: And by the way, I also love listening to Crawford Loritts and Erwin Lutzer. They're just.
S1: Familiar voices on Moody.
S3: Radio. They are. And just just great teachers of the word.
S1: Another one from Lakeland, Florida. I listen to it all day while at work and it helps me get through the day.
S3: You know, we hear that from so many people, Wayne, that they have it on the dial, is constantly on Moody Radio, and it's just that spiritual background that's encouraging. So so thank you, Vince. Thank you for your encouragement. Yeah.
S1: All right. Let's look at this one from Jerry. You want to read this one from Pleasant Grove, Alabama?
S3: Yeah. This says Bold Steps is very informative to us. Things that are preached are very powerful, thought provoking topics that help us in our spiritual journey. And this is from Jerry. Jerry, thank you for your words of encouragement, and we're so grateful for all of those of you that take a moment to respond, ask a question, make a comment. And I think we've mentioned before, Wayne, that if people want to leave a comment or ask a question, they can just go to bold Steps and leave a message. And we're also always super encouraged when someone decides to make a commitment to be a monthly partner, right? And if you go to Bold Steps org, there's a link that says Monthly Partner. And I don't know if we've mentioned this before, Wayne, but if you give I believe it's $30 a month or more. You get a 50% discount on all of our moody books.
S1: Think about that. Think about the Moody catalog and all that's available there. You get a 50% discount when you become a bold partner at $30 a month or more.
S3: Yeah, and that in itself is worth it if you purchase Moody Books. So thank you partners, you are very encouraging.
S1: As Mark said, go to Bold steps.org and on the left side of the screen there look for become a bold partner and click on it there. It's very easy. Just takes a moment and it will be so encouraging. Now Mark will be back at the end of the program with some final words. But right now, let's get back into the second half of this message. Mark will be addressing the third point regarding purity and bold living.
S2: Number three. And lastly, so not only what are you tolerating, what are you hanging around? But lastly, what are you exposing to the light? Verse eight says, for you were once darkness. You know that's who you used to be. By the way, I think it helps us not to be judgmental and condemning because all of us used to be that way. Hey, we all were there, right? We all were darkness. We all didn't have the same sins, but we were all there. That's who you were. So when someone comes in and they're struggling, don't. Don't judge them. Pounce on them. Break them down. Beat them up. Remember, that's who you were. Maybe not too long ago. That's who we all were. That's what we all were. We were darkness. And that's the way that we lived. And he says, remember, that's who you once were. But now, thank God for now. But now, hey, now you are light. It doesn't say now. You walk in the light. It says, now you are light in the Lord. So if you are light, start living as children of the light. For the fruit of the light consists of all goodness, righteousness and truth. And listen. Find out what pleases the Lord, it says. You know, the more time you spend with God, the more you start to realize what pleases God. Some of us have engaged in what the culture's engaged in and God's like, not pleased with it. The more you hang out with a person, the more you realize what they like. I know, I know what my wife likes really well because I've been married to her for a long time. I know what she doesn't like. I know the food she likes. I know the kind of movies she likes. I know the kind of evening she likes. And I know what she doesn't like. Why? Because I hang out with her. Some of you need to start asking yourself not what do I want, but what pleases God. Because ultimately, whatever pleases God, even though it may seem hard at the time, ultimately that will bring you the greatest fulfillment. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. It's shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. You know what it's telling us in this passage? It says in verse 13, but everything exposed by the light becomes visible, and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. Let me break that down for you. Sometimes the enemy keeps us bound by our dark secrets and our struggles. There are people in this auditorium today that as I'm talking about this, you and your mind are kind of sinking back in your seat because you know that you struggle in an area and the enemy beats you with it. He overcomes you with it. He makes you feel guilty about it. You don't want it in your life, but you've never exposed it to the light. How do you expose it to the light? You confess it to God, but you confess it to others. And you say, this is part of my life. I don't want it in my life. So it says it's gotta become visible. Listen, you can't heal that which you conceal. You gotta bring it to the light and say, yeah, I struggle with pornography. Yeah, I struggle with fantasies in my mind. Yeah. As a single man, you know, I've struggled and I've gone out. Yeah, I struggle in these areas. How can I overcome? I gotta bring it to the light. I gotta admit that I struggle. I gotta say, this is a problem. And then when the light shines upon it, it becomes visible. It doesn't solve the problem, but it exposes the problem. And as I start walking in the spirit. Listen, you don't fight flesh with flesh. You fight flesh with the spirit. You can only overcome by the power of the Spirit of God that lives inside of you. And then listen to what it says. And when it becomes visible, then it becomes light. Let me tell you what that means. Some of you, as you begin to overcome that which has held you bound, not only do you see it, but that becomes a light and a testimony to others around you of how great God is, and how he can also break the chains of other people's lives. And he says that is why it said, wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead and Christ will shine upon you. There are some of you When I give this altar call, that you should come to the front and get on your knees and say, you know, God, I'm choosing to walk in purity, but the fact that you don't want to bring it to the light will keep you in your seat. That's what I know. I believe God is raising a generation of married men who stop excusing their wandering eyes and wandering mind and heart and say, By God's grace, I will be faithful to my wife until the day that we part only through death. And I'm not going to make excuses. I'm going to turn my affection to her. And you say, well, pastor man, my wife is like ice. I call her frozen. Come over here. Frozen, babe. You know, I'm guessing that I've had a chance to talk to your frozen wife. That there's probably some good reasons of neglect. Of issues that have caused her to freeze up. But I can't think of one woman that really wants to be married. That when she, her husband, humbles himself and is honest and deals with his issues and asks forgiveness and nurtures her and pursues her not just when he wants something but pursues her emotionally that that doesn't thaw out the most frozen person. So? So some of you may need to start working on that. I also believe that God is raising up a generation of young men and women that are saying to themselves, you know what? Everybody's doing it. But I'm not everybody. That's what I came from. But I'm going to break the cycle. God's raising up some 19, 20, 17, 25, 24 year olds that are saying, you know what? It may seem crazy. My friends may seem what is wrong with you? They may be asking me when I start to date, what base I've gotten to. And I'm going to ask them, are you talking about baseball? Because that's the only base I get to in baseball. And I'm going to I'm going to choose, by the grace of God and the power of God, to live in celibacy and chastity until the day I marry. No matter what my background has been like, it may seem crazy, but I'm going to be one of those crazy Jesus followers that knows that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. And when I'm weak and when I'm feel like I'm missing out, I'm going to press into God and say, fill me God, because I can't do it on my own. Love me God because I feel unloved. Fill me God. embrace me because I feel lonely. I'm going to learn what it means to meet my needs in God. And when the right time comes, man, I'm going to let loose in marriage. Some of you need to make some of those decisions and live. Listen, you will definitely be living counterculture. Definitely.
S1: That's Mark Jobe on bold steps. Mark, I know this is one of your most urgent and critical messages for young people today. Really, for any of us who want to live boldly.
S3: Yes. And the call of Jesus is strong. It's a countercultural lifestyle, and I know messages that emphasize purity, and walking in a holy living before God are very challenging.
S1: And talk about countercultural.
S2: It really is. But I know so many young people, by the way, that have made the decision, I'm going to walk in the kind of purity that God has called me to. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. So if you're struggling with that, I want to just pray really quickly with you right now. Father, I pray for that. I pray for that young lady that has been sleeping with her boyfriend, but is a believer, but is convicted deeply over it. I pray for repentance and a new walk of purity. I pray for that young man that struggling with just walking in, in containment and and purity of body, that you would give him the perseverance and power to continue on. I ask this in Jesus name. Amen.
S1: Amen. Thank you. Mark. If you want to revisit any part of this lesson called What Do You Smell Like, just head over to our website, Bold steps.org. While you're on our homepage, don't miss our latest Bold Step gift offering. Because in today's culture, young girls face countless messages contradicting biblical values. That's why we're featuring Dana Gres's powerful book lies, Girls Believe. This vibrant, captivating resource tackles 20 deceptions commonly affecting girls ages 7 to 12, empowering them to recognize falsehoods and embrace God's truth instead. If you're a mom, grandma, or have influence over the young girls in your life, this book is for you. Secure this valuable, bold step gift to strengthen the faith foundation of the special girls you care about. Your gift of any amount to bold steps qualifies you to receive a copy. To donate online, visit Bold Steps. And if you prefer to call, reach out to us at 800. D.L. Moody. That's (800) 356-6639. Or send your gift through the mail by addressing an envelope to bold steps. 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 606 ten. That's bold. Steps 820 North LaSalle, Chicago, Illinois 606 ten. These daily messages and valuable resources exist thanks to faithful listeners like you who support us monthly. We finally call these supporters our bold partners because they're committed to helping share the transformative gospel message nationwide. Ready to join this mission? Become part of the team today when you go online to Bold Steps. Org. That's bold. That's all the time we have today. On behalf of Mark Jobe and all your friends at Bold Steps, I'm Wayne Shepherd, inviting you to join us again tomorrow when Mark shows us how to fight for our families futures. One of the main battlegrounds where the enemy provokes us is through our spouses and our children. And if you're struggling in either of those areas, this message is for you. It's part of our series called Bold Living. And you'll hear it Wednesday on Bold Steps with Mark John. Bold steps is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.