S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Have you ever watched the show Name That Tune? They would play a couple notes and see if you could identify what the song was, and they would guess. I can name that tune in three notes, and then they would get like three plucked out sounds on it.
S3: It's insane. I don't know how in the.
S2: World we're going to play Name That Show. Can you name the show that's being played here? Take a listen.
S4: As the fate of a people hangs in the balance, again, I ask this question. Can one stone change the course of history?
S2: Did you get it? Of course. It's House of David, which has been a wildly popular series on Amazon.
S3: Right on Amazon Amazon Prime.
S2: At what point at what point you said you opened up Amazon and saw what.
S3: It was the it was the thing that was at the top. You know, they do like a featured show, which is usually one of their top shows. And and it was there and actually during its course of when it was still airing episodes, it hit number two on all of Amazon Prime, just behind their top grossing ever show.
S2: So it's been really cool to see the interest in David's life in David's story. Uh, if you've seen it, let us know. What did you think? And I think that there are opinions in terms of how accurate it is. Does it take too many liberties? There's some opinions out there, and I'm not going to necessarily weigh in with my own, but I'd love to hear. What if you saw it? What did you think? Text us 800 555 7898. Text US 800 555 7898. We're going to be spending quite a bit of time this week looking at the life of David and some of the often overlooked aspects. I mean, there's so much to David's story. It is kind of a it's built for a TV series, if ever. I mean, you think about the stories that lend themselves to a TV series. I think Daniel's story, probably.
S3: Daniel's a good one.
S2: Joseph would be would make an awesome mini series.
S3: Great one. Uh, Moses. I mean, they made a movie of. Of Moses, the animated prince of Egypt.
S2: Absolutely. Obviously. Paul.
S3: Yeah.
S2: A life of Paul would be a would. Well, and it's all true.
S3: And it's all true.
S2: It's all true. This stuff actually happened. Coming up, let's take a look at the life of David. Still taking your feedback. If you want to weigh in on what you think of the series. 805 55 7898 805 55 7898. Special guest joining us as well. Coming up.
S1: It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: And we've got a man in studio. Doctor Winfred Neely, you said you have been hanging out with David for a long time. You wrote a first and second Samuel, the commentary in the Moody Bible Commentary, and you did your dissertation on a couple chapters of Second Samuel. Is that correct?
S5: Yeah, I wrote my dissertation on second Samuel 11 and 12. So I spent many years just focused on on the Hebrew texts of those two chapters and had the immense privilege to write the Moody Bible Commentary on first and second Samuel. And I must say that it was a life transforming experience for me at the just. The Lord used his word so, so powerfully in my life. It had a deep, sanctifying effect on me as I was, as I had the privilege to comment on God's Word in Samuel documents.
S2: Now, before we get into some of the specifics for somebody who maybe is new to Bible reading, who is David? Who are we talking about here? Give us just kind of a there's a lot you could say here, but for someone who doesn't know who David is, how can they even join the conversation here? With enough understanding.
S5: God raises up David at a significant period in the history of Israel, and he is the greatest Old Testament King David. He is the standard, the norm by which all other subsequent kings were measured. Next to Moses. There was no one in the Old Testament who captured the heart and mind and imagination of God's people. In the Old Testament era, like David, he was a massive figure. He was an able man. He was a warrior. He was a leader. He was a monarch. He was a singer. He was a musician, he was a composer. And I wish I had all of them.
S6: Right, right, right.
S5: I mean, he was he was such a unique figure in so many ways. He's one of the godliest men that ever lived. And yet he was imperfect. There was a period in David's life where he was far away from God for about a year, and it was quite shocking what happened in the life of this man of God because of some decisions that he made in a moment and consequent decisions after that. But what's interesting is that the chronicler, when evaluating the life of David, says this in essence, and I'm paraphrasing now that he walked with God all of his life, except in a matter of Uriah the Hittite, so that David's overall life a man after God's own heart, he was, except the sin that that he engaged in. But apart from that, this his overall life was was pleasing to God. Yeah. That David is the anointed of God. Now, this is hard for us as Americans. I think with our, uh, way, the way we think about things, to really grasp that this is the anointed of God. This is God's chosen king, anointed. He represents God. And I think one of the big takeaways for me is I as I looked at David, Paul says that if anyone thinks you stand, let him take heed lest he fall. None of us are exempt from doing something stupid in one moment. That can mess our lives up and mess up the lives of those that are very close to us. We have to be vigilant to the day we breathe our last.
S2: Yeah. Doctor Winifred Neely, our guest right now, coming up. I want to go back to David's pretty humble beginnings A shepherd boy who was called and anointed by God for a unique role. And he was also pretty, a pretty skilled musician. We're going to talk about David, the musician coming up.
S1: She was trying to earn her way to God, but God showed her she didn't have to. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, of all the things that we learn about David, we learn in first Samuel 16, verse 16 that he is a man who is skillful in playing the lyre, which is in the harp family. It's a small harp. You. How would you describe a lyre? It's.
S6: Yeah, essentially.
S5: What you just.
S6: Said.
S2: It's not the really big harp, right? He wasn't toting that around. It was a small harp, and he was very skillful. He was a he was gifted at poetry and songwriting.
S6: He was.
S2: Tell us about this detail. Because when we initially see this, we him use this to soothe Saul.
S6: He did.
S2: That was kind of the beginnings of how we see him use this musical gift, although certainly he had developed it over time.
S5: He certainly he obviously had developed it considerably by the time he is becomes the instrument to to play and ease the troubled mind of Saul. And good music can do that, even even to this day. Uh, but David was a skilled musician and singer and poet. He's called the sweet psalmist of Israel.
S2: I love.
S6: That a.
S5: Sweet psalmist of Israel. And, um, he penned at least half of the Psalter. There are 73 psalms that are clearly attributed to David. You know, have the heading the Superscription, which, by the way, are ancient. By the way, there isn't any ancient Hebrew manuscript, even the Dead Sea Scrolls that doesn't have this, these superscriptions about a Psalm of David. So at least 73 of them are in the Psalter are explicitly Licitly identified as a Psalm of David. And of course, they they, they, they're they are designed to be sung. Right. So and, you know, of course, they have the you have this expression to the choirmaster.
S6: Yes. Yes.
S2: What does that.
S6: Mean?
S5: Well, this in other words, we're going to sing this right. And it depends on it was interesting was well, I don't want to get into that. That's another technical conversation. But but let me say this. Let me say this. When we see to the choirmaster, that means it was just not for David. It was not just for Israel. It's for all of us. We can sing this. We we. I still hear my Old Testament professor, the late Herbert Wolff, saying, we sing our faith. And this is why. This is why. This is another reason why David had such a massive influence on Israel, because not only was he a great king, he was he understood worship. And and so you are organizing the temple worship with the with the sons of Korah and Asaph and, and the choirs. And then these psalms are being sung. Right. And and the temple worship under Solomon, of course, is going to really take off. But it begins with David, who saw saw the value of of worshiping the Lord, uh, in ways that bring glory to him and that edify people and also address every situation that we experience in life, which is one of the dynamics of the Psalter. There isn't any emotion in the Psalms that's not addressed.
S6: Yeah.
S5: So David, he he was a songwriter. And so if you if we have at least 150 psalms, um, and David, 73 of them are attributed to him, that means that at least half of the Psalter was written by David. And if you could consider Psalm two, which doesn't have the title The Psalm of David, but in acts. And it says, you said through your servant David. So that's another indicator that you know. So there's another psalm, actually, that even this is not even attributed to David, but yet in the New Testament it is. So he had a he was just a, a significant, uh, servant when it came to composing these psalms and using them as a means of to help God's people with the vocabulary of prayer and worship. It was quite wonderful.
S2: Now, is it fair to say he was sort of the initiator of this in practice, or was there any sort of template for this before, David that we can be aware of or point to?
S5: I don't think, well, Israel was a singing people, you know, when they came out, the Exodus says that Miriam took the tambourines and They they, you know, they they the Moses, they sing a song. Then there was dancing with with the tambourine and so forth and so on, which was also a part of the worship experience. Which reminds me, by the way, that there are certain churches, they dance in the churches in Africa.
S2: You spent how many years there?
S5: I spent I spent ten years in Africa. But the last time I was in Ghana with my dear friend Bruce Everhart and others. Uh, I'm sorry, I'm wondering, but it just came to me and they started dancing. It was absolutely wonderful. And one guy that was so was so moved by in the presence of God that he started doing push ups. I think he did about 20.
S6: Okay.
S2: So as, as far as like what how we apply something like this today because you think about corporate worship and I know that this is this is on your heart. Like David really cared about corporate worship. He talked about how he arranged the musicians.
S6: Yeah, yeah.
S2: How he how we kind of orchestrated how this was going to happen? How do we apply that today? What do we take from that?
S5: Well, I think it should be. We need to give it thought. When I was pastoring at Judson Baptist Church, one of the things that I wanted was the hour and a half where we come together corporately to be one of the more meaningful spaces of time that we would experience during the week. So we would have to give thought to that. Song selection matters. Lyrics matter. So that if a song is not biblical, I don't sing it. I won't. So I would ask my worship leaders, if you're going to do this, well, let's adjust some lyrics to make sure that they're in line with scripture. It's too much at stake.
S6: Yeah.
S5: And I realized too, that, uh, the the singing, uh, with God's people is one of the means of grace that God has put at our disposal and disposition. I think of the lives that have been transformed not through preaching, which I'm a champion of, but sometimes just through singing, singing a hymn or singing a chorus or just I'm in the crowd and I'm learning that God never loses a battle.
S6: Yeah.
S5: That there's no defeat in Jesus. I, I'm learning that he turns. He turns graves into gardens. Huh? And see what happens. We take strength. We take courage, and we go back to life. Ready to take another step. By the way, this is why so many. I say, you know, I'm an. I'm an African American, although I, you know, I've been in multicultural spaces for many, many years, uh, and enjoy that space and love that space. And, and I'm in that space now. But yet at the same time, recognizing that my mother's generation and her, my grandmother's generation, uh, what got them through a lot of the difficulties that they were struggling with as African Americans is the, the, the church, the local church. And they would come together and they would sing and worship and come out of that with the strength and courage to face another day. Yeah. And this is a transcendent this is a a this is a transcultural, uh, principle that the corporate worship of God's people matters. And so there's something about sitting next to somebody singing, great is your faithfulness, or we've come this far by faith or one of the contemporary expression of worship to God. And so and David understood this. There is something about theology that sound and accompanied to music that helps us internalize the Word of God in ways that would not happen otherwise.
S2: Yeah. Now, because the Psalms capture so much emotion, and some of them you can even draw direct, parallel to what was happening in in David's life at the time. Right? Some of them capture lament and sorrow. Are all of the Psalms meant to be sung as theology?
S5: Well, uh uh, yes. I think lament is a form of theology, actually. Uh, you know, of course, the title of the Psalter is in Hebrew. It says Rehelim, Halim, which means praises. Interestingly enough, a third of the Psalter is lament. So.
S2: Should we be singing that, you think?
S5: I think we should. I think we should, because, um, sometimes, uh, we are we. Life happens.
S2: Mhm.
S5: It would be nice if the church could, could recapture some of that, but but I think there has been that sometimes I feel like a motherless child. Glory, hallelujah. Which was a form of lament. Right. We can sing that. And so I think it and and in other words, I can bring my suffering, my perplexities to the Lord in song as well as my joys, and leave a corporate worship experience with a sense that, uh, it's going to be okay. That God is going to give me grace to get through this.
S2: Yeah. Doctor Winifred Neeley, our guest this morning, so much more we could chat about. We're going to put a pin in it for now. But Doctor Neeley, newly retired vice president and academic dean of Moody Theological Seminary, spent a lot of years with David. And we're grateful for you sharing your your knowledge and your passion this morning.
S1: He's a sports fanatic with a stat for anything you can think of. Young Thunder is in the crew. It's curling crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, as we've been talking about David the musician this morning, I've got a question for you. What's that song for you? You know, the one that God used so powerfully in that one moment? There's probably already one coming to mind. It's a song that's near and dear to your heart. Maybe a played on the radio at a time and the Lord spoke to you through it. Maybe it was a source of comfort or ministered to you during a difficult season of life. What is that song that when you hear it, it just takes you back. It's a Christian song, obviously a song that the truth of God's Word is spoken, and it was really used powerfully in your life. I want to play some of those and hear the story behind it. So if you've got one, give us a call 805 55 7898, 805, 55, 78, 98. You know, when you think about the songs, the songs of your life, I mean, it's crazy how you can be in a grocery store or something, and all of a sudden a song plays that takes you back to like middle school or high school, and you still sometimes to your own shame, can still remember all of the song lyrics, even to songs that are are. Oh boy. I say shame not. We should not feel a sense of shame, but there are definitely some lyrics that I knew when I was growing up to songs that I go, what in the world was I listening to?
S3: Oh yeah. Absolutely. And you know what's interesting to me sometimes if I try to recall song lyrics with the music not playing, I can't remember them, but as soon as the music's going, it's almost like they're popping into my brain a millisecond before they come out of my mouth. And I'm like, I don't know where these words are coming from, but they're just in here somewhere. That's a very weird feeling.
S2: The music is so powerful, you know, and it can be leveraged both for the good and for the bad. I mean, the, the the messages that are often pushed on to young people through music are sometimes pretty startling.
S3: No doubt.
S2: You think. Oh, wow. And kids, I know because I was one of those kids and you're just singing stuff and not even really aware of the messages that you're proclaiming.
S3: No, certainly.
S2: The enemy certainly can use music that way. But all truth is God's truth. So when you think about the power of music to be leveraged, I mean, David soothed Saul when he was being tormented by playing the harp, and all of a sudden there was a peace that came over him. So what's that song for you? that song that God used so powerfully in your life. We want to play as many. I will say up front, we will not be able to play all of them. We just won't have enough time. But we want to play as many as we can. So if you've got one in a story behind it, 805, 55, 78, 98, 805 five, five 7898 let's go to Leslie calling in from Chicago. Leslie. Go ahead. What's that song for you?
S7: Oh, no. I'm from Irving, Texas.
S2: Oh, sorry about that. Leslie from Texas. My bad. Go ahead.
S7: Yeah. Um, so I'm walking to school, so you may hear some noise, but I, um. Yeah. When God ran, it was, um, I became baptized. I got baptized in college. So it was first by, um, um, Benny Hester and then later by Phillips, Craig and Dean and I. It's still my, um, my favorite song of all time, because it reminds me that the Lord relentlessly pursues me through it all, and I just. Yeah. I just can't believe it. He'll never. He never gives up on us. And, um. And he is, um, just loves us unconditionally.
S2: All right. God, I love it. Thank you so much. Leslie from Texas. Appreciate you calling in this morning. Jonathan, do you have a song that was that God used that really sticks with you?
S3: Yeah, I do. This one's actually pretty recent to me, but impactful. Okay. The song Miracle Child by Brandon Lake. I love that song. You know, my story is an illusion of salvation kind of story. And so I didn't realize that I didn't know Jesus, even though I knew of him. I was kind of living the Christian life, but not not living for God. And when I came to him, you know, my desire was to follow him. And it really changed my whole life. But Satan still plucks at me a little bit here and there. How do you know that? You know that, you know. And he scares me. And I have to be rooted in Scripture in order to fight against those things. And this song. Miracle child. Just a couple of the words that really get to me says death. Where is your sting? My Savior's word is final. I'm resurrected, blood protected. And that just reminds me that what my Savior has said, he's always saying that he doesn't take it away from me, that I'm good, that I'm under him. I'm blood protected by his blood, not by my own ability to do or not do something.
S2: Man, that's the power of a song. Let's play that one. Brandon Lake, miracle child. I want to hear from you, though. What is that song for you? You hear it and it takes you to a moment. Or God used it to minister to you to bring comfort. Give us a call 800 555 7898 (800) 555-7898.
S8: I shouldn't be alive. My future was six feet under one foot in the grave. No hope to be saved. I shouldn't be alive. But I'm a miracle child. Defied every diet. And as close as it came. I can stand here and say I'm a miracle child. O death, where is your sting? My Savior's word is fine. I am resurrected, blood protected. I am a miracle child. If your face in the eyes. If you think you're beyond his saving. There's no life he can raise. No, your wounds aren't too great. He's a miracle God. He shouldn't be alive. His body was six feet under. Three days in the grave without stone rolled away. Our God is alive. O death, where is your sting? My Savior's word is fine. All I am resurrected, blood protected. I am a miracle child. O death, where is your sting? My Savior's word is fine. I am resurrected, blood I am a miracle child. You're the living, breathing God of glory. I'm a living, breathing testimony. You're the one who turns a dead end story to a living, breathing testimony. You're the living, breathing God of glory. I'm a living, breathing testimony. You're the one who turns up dead. His story to a living, breathing testimony. Death. Where is your sting? My Savior's word is fine. I am resurrected, blood I am a miracle child. O death, where is your sting? My Savior's word is fine. I am resurrected, blood protected. I am a miracle child. I've been crucified, raised with Christ. I am a miracle child.
S2: Miracle child by Brandon Lake. We played that one for Jonathan this morning. That's his song. Asking you about the songs. Not just that you like to hear, because I got a lot of songs that I like, but there's some songs that when I hear, man, they take me back to a moment or they remind me of something that God has revealed to me. What is that song for you that God God used so powerfully in your life? Let's go to Lisa calling in this morning from Tennessee. Lisa, tell me, what's that song for you?
S9: Um, a song that, um, would be, um, God only knows by for King and Country.
S2: Okay, give me the story. Why?
S9: Well, I was away from God for quite some time, and, um, hearing that song just really brought me back. Every time I would hear that song, it was like God was convicting me and. And calling me.
S2: Yeah. Sweet. Thank you so much. Lisa from Nashville, Tennessee. Let's go to Maureen from Indiana. Maureen, what's that song for you? Tell me.
S10: The song for me is Give Me Jesus by Fernando Ortega.
S2: Oh, that's a classic. Go ahead, tell me why.
S10: Well, God used that to get me through a very difficult, depressing time. And now I can look back and see what joy I can experience. And I don't have to go back to that dark place anymore, because.
S2: Maureen.
S10: Has given me.
S2: Amen. Just give me Jesus. We're going to play it for you. Maureen from Indiana, this is Fernando Ortega.
S11: In the morning when I rise. In the morning, when I rise in the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus. Give me Jesus. Give me Jesus. You can have all this world, but give me Jesus. And when I am alone. Oh, and when I am alone. And when I am alone. Give me Jesus. Give me Jesus. Give me Jesus. You can have all this world, but give me Jesus. Jesus. And when I come to die. Oh, and when I come to die. And when I come to die. Give me Jesus. Give me Jesus. Give me Jesus. You can have all this world. You can have all this world. You can have all this world. But give me Jesus.
S2: It's Fernando Ortega. Give me Jesus. I've been asking you this morning. What is that song for you? That song that takes you back to a moment that God used so powerfully. I think most of us have at least 1 or 2 that that we hold near and dear. What is it for you? 805 55 7898 coming up, let's hear from somebody. Our music guru. What song does she have?
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire and everything is Greek to her. Super dei is in the crew. It's Karl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: You know, God created music. Wasn't something that man came up with. And there's nothing like I say this. And maybe it sounds strange, but when I hear the layering of voices in harmony, to me that is one of the things that I go. There has to be a god.
S3: Yeah, I agree.
S2: There has to be a.
S12: God. Can you imagine heaven like someday? Oh, I hear this. Oh, always for eternity. Yes.
S2: So we're asking you, what's that song for you? That song that God has used in your life in such a powerful way? We've heard some. Some really phenomenal ones. I hope you're enjoying listening. Even if it's not your song that's played. I hope you're enjoying hearing these stories. Let's go to Anne calling in from Illinois. Tell me the story and or the song and the story behind it for you.
S13: Well, another Fernando Ortega song. Jesus, King of angels. And when my mom was really sick and my kids were growing up and I was working and but all those times that I drove to mom's to take care of her and stay overnight and come back in the morning, poop out, you know, until I had to go another day. Jesus, King of angels, came on every time during that drive to minister to me. And so it was my let down time to cry and to just worship God. And he was in the midst of it the whole time.
S12: Wow.
S2: And thank you so much. Incredible story. Let's let's go to Bradley from Alabama. Bradley, give me the song and the story.
S14: My mom was a crazy in the Storm by Casting Crowns. In 2007, I was going through the process of losing my grandmother. I was having a horrible time with my job, horrible time at home. I wasn't listening to much contemporary music, so when I heard that, it brought me into this world of contemporary Christian music that I never really experienced and ever since has comforted me through so many trials and tribulations. And recently, my family and I were going through a little bit. Now that I just think it would be a great time to bring that song back.
S12: Yeah.
S2: Bradley from Alabama praise you in this storm for Casting Crowns. That's that's a good one. One of my favorites, Super die. I'm curious, you have a whole catalog of music. I noticed on your computer, but stored up after years of radio. What's that song for you?
S12: Actually, it's a newer song. It's by Jamie McDonnell. It's come out and it's called desperate, and it just really hit me. I heard it on the radio one day and I was just it took me back. First of all, to that very first time, if you've if you've heard just coming to Christ or reading the Bible and just falling on my knees and the opening line is, I'm at the end of myself and I'm tired. I've tried to do it all by myself. And that was that was me. That was my point of being desperate for Christ. And it just opens up that way. And the other thing, too, is hanging on by a thread that one of my favorite biblical stories is right out of Gospels, where the woman is reaching out and touching the thread, the hem of Jesus's cloak. Yeah. And sometimes we are desperate and we're running out of hope. And another part of the story, it says, I'm down on my knees. Redeem this wreckage. So whatever you're battling right now, whatever just seems like you're just drowning in it. And you seem like it's overflowing and you are desperate. God redeems the wreckage. He does. And this song is just a beautiful prayer for that to God to give, to have him give you his peace.
S2: Well, we're going to play it for you. Super die. And maybe this is a new one for you, but I would invite you always when you're listening to music of any kind, really listen to what the words are saying. I mean, it's so important. It sounds like stating the obvious, but what are you singing? There's sometimes beautiful songs that aren't saying what you want to be declaring at all.
S3: Oh yeah, I'm a music listener, so I like the sound of things. And there's been multiple times where I've been listening and I'm like, that's a good sound. And then I listen to the words and I go, no, no, no, no, no, turn that off.
S12: Yeah.
S2: And then there's songs, you know, sometimes you may go to church and there's not and they're not playing your favorite song during worship. And you could sometimes like, I don't really like listen to the lyrics. Yeah, yeah. Don't worry about whether you love the song or not. What are the lyrics declaring that are true? This is from Jamie MacDonald. It's called desperate. I hope you enjoy this one as much as Superdry does. Take a listen.
S15: I'm at the end of myself and I'm tired. I've tried all that I know to do. Right now. It's just by a thread. But I'm. I'm hanging on to you. I'm running out of hope. I need a miracle. And if I ever needed you, it's right now. Oh, God, I'm desperate. Down on my knees. Send help from heaven. Cause that's what I need. Redeem this wreckage. Restore my peace. I'm not asking, I'm begging. Lord, come through for me I need heaven and I don't. Spring? Yes, spring. Oh, I need heaven. Need heaven tonight. Prayed all the prayers I can pray, but I. I won't stop knocking till you open the door. You can move a mountain. You can call my soul. I know you can. Cause I've seen it before. Oh, God, I'm desperate. Down on my knees. Send help from heaven. Cause that's what I need. Redeem this wreckage. Restore my peace. I'm not asking, I'm begging. Lord, come through for me. I need heaven and I'm. Desperate, I need heaven. Need heaven. And I've got. All I need heaven, need heaven. And I'm. Home. And you're my only hope I need a miracle. And if I ever needed you. It's right now. Oh, God, I'm desperate. Down on my knees. Send help from heaven. Cause that's what I need. Redeem this wreckage. Restore my peace. I'm not asking, I'm begging. Lord, come through for me. I need heaven tonight. Desperate. All I need. Heaven. Need heaven tonight. Desperate. Desperate. Need heaven. Need heaven tonight.
S2: It's Jamie McDonald. Desperate. Love these songs taking a lot of us back. Some of them newer, some of them older. But so many of them. When you hear that story for someone else, you almost go in that moment with them, right? You hear this, the story, and then you go, okay, that song, it hits a little different. After you hear this story.
S1: Tune in whenever you like. Check out the Cast and Crew podcast wherever you like to stream.
S2: Talking about those songs this morning, the songs that have been used so powerfully, and there's a couple that I've seen repeated throughout the morning, Blessings by Laura story I've seen a couple times. Uh, but sometimes it's such a unique thing. It may be a song that everybody else would go, huh? That's your song. God spoke to you or ministered to you through that, uh, hearing your stories this morning, I love it. 800 555 7898 let's go to Kirsten calling in this morning from Indiana. Tell me, what's that song for you and the story behind it? Go ahead.
S16: Um. Hi there. I was just, um, thinking this morning that the goodness of God has been such a life song for me. Um, as I struggled with my daughter being diagnosed with a progressive illness that eventually took her life last year, um, one time I was in counseling talking about how could God be good? You know, when your daughter gets sick and you know you're probably going to lose her someday? And, um, I came out of that counseling session, and right when I came out, the goodness of God was on my radio and station, and I know God put that there for me that day. And so, yeah, sometimes I just have to, um, just play that song, remind myself God is good. Sometimes you know you believe, but you just need help with your unbelief. But he definitely has been good through this whole season and this whole process. And sometimes life isn't good. But but he still is. And she's now with her savior, who she loved so much. So I just praise him for that.
S2: Kiersten, thank you so much. Such a precious story. We're so sorry for the loss of your daughter. This this song, we pray, brings some comfort. A reminder that God is good even when life is really hard.
S17: I love you, Lord. For your mercy never fails me. All my days I've been held in your hand. From the moment that I wake up. Until I lay my head. Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God. Cause all my life you have been faithful. And all my life you have been so, so good. With every breath that I am made. Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God I love your voice. You have led me through the fire. In darkest night you are close like no other. I've known you as a father. I've known you as a friend. And I have lived In the goodness of God. Hey. Cause all my life you have been faithful. And all my life you have been so, so good. With every breath that I am made. Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God. Your goodness is running after. It's running after me. Your goodness is running after. It's running after me. With my life laid down, I surrender. Now I give you all. Me, O Lord, your goodness is running after it's running after me. Your goodness is running. After me. Your goodness is running after. It's running.
S15: Out.
S17: To me. With my life laid down I surrender. Now I give you everything. Everything your goodness is running after. It's running out of me. I'm gonna sing.
S15: All my.
S17: Life.
S8: You have been faithful.
S17: All of my life you've been faithful. All my life you have been so, so good, So good. With every breath that I.
S8: Have.
S17: Made. Every breath I'm able. I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God. Yes, I will sing of the goodness of God. Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God.
S2: Cece Winans, goodness of God. You know, you think, how in the world could you sing about the goodness of God in the face of something so tragic as losing your daughter? And you know, it's their great mystery. There's a great mystery there. But we trust what we know to be true about God, that he is good and that he is sovereign and that he's faithful, and that even when we don't understand the why we trust in the who, the person of Jesus Christ.